Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Batflips and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with a British twist. I am your host this evening, Ben Carter, and I am joined by the one and only Russell Eason, who I don't think has been on the pod since he got back from his WBC adventures. Russell, have you recovered? Give us a download on Yeah, how that experience was and what life's like now you're back at Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think after let's say two weeks of pretending to be a journalist, the comdown can be can be pretty high. The obvious prosa being back with with with with with my partner and our house and not having to worry about those sorts of things.
Speaker 3: But no, it's an amazing two weeks.
Speaker 2: Their time out in Houston is really interesting because you don't have many press out there for some of the games, like the US games have a lot of press, and the Mexico games have like a lot of press associated with them. But for the games when it was like Brazil versus Italy and GB versus Italy, like there wasn't much there and so it was like I got the chance to meet and chat to a lot of major league players, A lot of minor league players who were I think, are gonna really do something good in the future, and then it ends in Miami and it didn't let it. It wasn't a let down compared to like last time around. From an atme atmosphere perspective, like the three games I saw in Miami last time around were electric, and the Venezuelan fans were just unbelievable. Like any time that I'm going to be at a baseball game now and someone's on two strikes, I'm going to be sat there going pnche paunch, pawnche. That is like ingrained in my brain now of like whatever a fan must do. It was utterly unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looked insane from I mean, obviously we were just watching our home on TV, but the optiosode, it is unbelieva when I think people pointed it out. Almost a shame just seeing the stadium in Miami rocking like it hasn't rocked in maybe ever, certainly ten plus years. But amazing to see how many baseball fans are in that market. And yeah, obviously the Latin American countries especially are represented, and awesome to see Venezuela put out the bag but also a reminder that if the Marlins could just put a decent team on the field, they probably would have a pretty good atmosphere themselves if they wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those difficult ones where you're always just like, yeah, you know what, there's a lot of passionate baseball fans out there, but probably like half of them are Yankees fans or.
Speaker 1: The Marlins don't have quite the same pole, do they?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Not quite?
Speaker 1: But there we go. But though we are obviously back to talk Major League Baseball now season is underway, I was saying before we started recording it, it felt like it came pretty hot on the heels of WBC caught us all a bit by surprise. We obviously did our Late Predictions podcast last week, so apologies at that one's a little bit later than planned. But now we're going to get into chatting through some of the early season action. We're still only what fifteen or so games in, so hard to draw any major conclusions from what's been happening so far. But that doesn't mean we aren't able to start firing off and takes, and one of my favorite parts of the baseball seasons being as long as it is is being able to massively overreact to the first ten to twelve games of the season and decide which teams and players are good, which ones are cooked, and then be proved extremely wrong a matter of weeks or months later, when you know, all the things that take months to stabilize catch you out a little bit down the line. So we're going to do a little bit of that tonight. I think what we've our plan is to each take it in turns a little bit to throw out a take. And this can be a super hot take, it can be more of a mild take. It can be about any you know, team player moment of the season so far, so ross maybe after it to you first, are you coming to us with the heat s raight off the bat? Or where do you want to take this one for your first twenty twenty six MRB season take?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my my, let's start relatively hot.
Speaker 3: I think that's the good way to go for I think that.
Speaker 2: The New York Yankees are going to have the best pitching starting era in franchise history this season. I think that they've obviously started off particularly well. Max Freed has looked back to his best Cam Shitler, is looking like everything that people wanted after like the prefappearance to be saw us in Will Roarren has dominated as well at the start of season, and don't even have Garett callback yet, which isn't going to be particularly long, but like, yeah, I'm starting out bold, but I'm kind of thinking that kind of given what the way things are going.
Speaker 3: Let's let's say, yeah, Yankees' best era ever?
Speaker 1: Wow, I love it. I mean even Ryan Weathers last night was and then they lost one Noel didn't they that he was outstanding for eight inning? So it does feel like they've got serious depth to that rotation. They were, yeah, remarking last week, how great shit alurked, And yeah, Max Free is just dominant week in week out at this point. So I like that, take what is a number to beat? Do you know?
Speaker 3: So if we go like.
Speaker 2: All stats, their best era is two fifty seven from nineteen oh four, which feels a little a little hard to go for. So I might kind of push myself to kind of like like an era kind of like minus equivalent to kind of at least kind of like set it to kind of like the the standard of what is out there in that case, that's still seventy four from nineteen thirty nine. Probably the most actual recent one is in back in nineteen eighty one where that was like a one when they had a two point ninety or a so like I'm like, I'm basically saying that, like they gotta go sub three, wibble at you to as the starters for the season.
Speaker 1: That's hard to do. Well, you think about all the great Yankees pictures of seasons past as well, and I don't know how well the full rotation are stacked up in those years, but certainly some of those dominant teams at the late nineties, ninety two thousands, it's yeah, amazing to think that this year's might be even stronger. I like it. How are we going to do this? So we're going to rank each other's takes on us a scale? Is that what we mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so you can we go for all want one to five or if you even want to go one to ten of how hot do you think this is?
Speaker 1: Okay? Sort of Nando's Piri Pirie rating of heat.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I like this.
Speaker 1: So it's a nerdy stat which I like as well, but I'm going to give it. I think you're going to go hotter as we get going here, someone going to go too hot too early. But I think that's a solid seven out of ten. Yeah, that's at a tough bar to clear, but having him as one of the best rotations in baseball, I think is certainly not going to be wrong. And I'm excited to see, yeah, once cold comes back, how it might look when it's when it's fully fledged. So seven out of ten as a starter.
Speaker 3: I'll take that. I'll take that you got for me then, Ben.
Speaker 1: Okay, I this one's a little bit tongue in cheek, but I'm gonna go with it, and it's gonna stick it in the same division. Let's just go ahead and call it the Red Sox season is over. Thank you for coming out, Boston. But based on a lot of the things I was seeing on social media articles from Boston media, that's how most of the fans seem to feel anyway. So I'm probably not breaking new twenty of them, but there are a lot of head and hands from and hand ringing from Boston fans. After their start to the season, they were two and eight. I think they've now won a couple of games back to four and eight. But obviously still below five hundred, and I guess the tongue in cheak part of this is like everyone gets off to bad runs during the season, and the fact that they had a bad ten game run at the start of the season doesn't really make it any more statistically significant than if they did this in July. So it's a little bit silly to watch ten games of baseball and decide that a team isn't good anymore. The not so tongue in cheap part, I guess is that there are some potential red flags with this team. You know, I think the rotation. The aenny of the year we thought was going to be super super strong hasn't impressed quite as much so far. You know, I think we know what we're going to get from Garrett Crochet. He's awesome. Sonny Gray may be showing signs that he's not going to be quite as consistent as he has been in years past. Range Suarez struggled a little bit in a couple of his early starts. Ryan Beo's looked I think pretty awful. I hope I'm not getting that wrong, but I feel like he's not had a great start to the year, possibly going to lose his rotation spot, so that's a little bit concerning. And on the hitting side, you know, stories looked dreadfully. I know he's bounced back a little bit in the last few days, but that's a worry. There's a lot on the shoulders of Rome and Anthony, who I think is awesome, but if you need him to be your best bat, that's a lot to put on the shoulders of a second year guy. So I think just think there's signs that maybe things are going to be tougher than we initially thought they were going to be. Given literally a week ago we predicted they're going to win this division. I realized I'm sounding slightly reactionary here, but that's the other part of it is this is a really hard division and actually, if you fall four or five games behind, now, that becomes quite a hard mountain to climb when all these other teams you're playing are really, really good and can beat up on you on a given day. So do I really think that season's over? No, obviously not. Do I think Red Sox fans are freaking out and maybe have slight reason to freak out, I'm gonna say yes, But that's no fun. So my hot take is season over see you in twenty twenty seven, Boston Red Sox fans.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting one because, like.
Speaker 2: You say, like it's two weeks, so it's like you can't really take anything from it because it's just like, you know what, every team will go through a spell like that.
Speaker 3: But you should be concerned.
Speaker 2: But we know that, like concern in Boston is only heard fire like shouting at like what I'm trying to think, Dan Lay, Baitad or whatever are any of the talk show hosts that are out there to listen to the to the whatever is the sixth or six equivalent in Boston, Like that's all you're going to be getting right now.
Speaker 3: Because they.
Speaker 2: Affect traded their way and then gave some contracts, they decided not to really buy anybody big in the free market obviously with the exception of like Rancho Suarez and kind of go go that way around and getting rid of Devas, bringing in Bregman, not locking Bregman down because of supposedly a no trade deal park cause that he wanted, and now having Caleb Durbin the three legend Caleb Durban now kind of like playing as your everyday shortstop.
Speaker 3: It may be the third basement.
Speaker 2: Done things that if it doesn't go well, they can easily be lambastard for those decisions.
Speaker 3: And so right now they are getting ambastard.
Speaker 2: I think Boston's only hope and this is one that we might get it might might get into a little bit later on, is that I don't think beyond the Yankees there might be any good teams in the ALE this year really, so like they could sneak into the playoffs with like eighty two to eighty four wins, because there's right now just kind of a lot of the tunes who thought we're going to start do okay have not done okay. And there's quite a few of the teams that have started okay are not the ones to be with the start would do it okay. And so it's like, hmm umm, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: There? No, I like it. That's like a little secret hot take you've thrown in there that you know, age two or eight three wins will be enough for a playoff spot in the vaunted American League. But yeah, you're right, some of the teams that we thought were going to be good have been poor. It's not just the Red Sox who struggled. The Tigers aren't after a great start. Likewise, the Mariners. Interesting to see how that changes in the next few weeks. I think I read this was the worst start the Red Sox have had since twenty eleven, and people might remember that season as the one where the Red Sox were terrible to start the year, unbelievable through the middle of the year, and then completely bottled their division lead in September, at ending with that incredible last year of the season where the race stole it from them. So if anything like that can happen again, neutral fans will be happy. Red Sox fans maybe less so. But yeah, that's my take. I'll throw it back to you. What's your what's your second? No, sorry, you need to give be a score first thing.
Speaker 3: I need to give you a score.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting one because I'm like, I don't think it's that hot. I think it's hot to say that. Actually, like they're because you think they're just not gonna make the playoffs like whatsoever, and so like this this season is already done, which I think is is like going from they're going to win the division too, they're going to basically not make the playoffs in two weeks is quite a hot take. But I also think it's a it's a very vocal take, which I think is then like it brings it down like a couple of notches. So I'm gonna I'm gonna sit this one at a four out of ten because I think it's like it's the it's a it's it is a hot take, but it's it's a well known hot take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more of an idiotic take from me, But you're judging the art, not the artist, so I appreciate that. Yeah, I'll throw it back to.
Speaker 2: You, Okay, I'll go do a player individual one.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Looking at the list that I had before, from this, I think, uh consumer Okamoto is probably the third best Japanese hitter will have ever seen.
Speaker 3: Basically, I think that like behind.
Speaker 2: Behind Eachiro, behind showy Otani, I think basically that like he is gonna come out and show that basically like he's hitting for power already, which he weren't one hundred and certain he was going to be able to do expecting a good average and elite defense.
Speaker 3: I think he's come out showing like he's he's.
Speaker 2: Phenomenal and I think come the end of this season, like people are going to be like, oh, like he is. He is phenomenal, and we're going to people are going to be thinking about going like, okay, where does he sit amongst kind of like the Japanese players that have come across into into Major League Baseball, And I think he's going to be one of these ones where people are just like, he's theoretically eligible for the Rookie of the Year award, and I think he might have to give some some poor BBWA writers Paul's have thought about whether they actually should classify him as a rookie or not.
Speaker 1: It's always hard, but as older Japanese players, isn't it. We've seen that a few times in recent years. That is a spicy take. I'll hold my hands up and say I've not had a chance to see him play myself yet. I've not got around to watching the Blue Jays, so I can't speak from having watched him hit. Obviously, know that his reputation coming from MPB was as a ya an elite hit to one of the best they've had in e le for for a long time. And the numbers look pretty good to start the year. As you say that the power seems to be there, I'm looking at a thirty nine point two percent strike up rate, which is high. Yeah, that would be the course. That would be the course for concern right it, And that is one of that is one of the first stats to stabilize it. It's what creating a strike up rate. Again, we're probably still too early to look into anything like that, and I think we've seen players struggle to make that adjustment coming from MPB, right, So I think we should give him time to see what it's like facing major league pitching really before we make a full decision on yeah, whether this guy's the greatest, third greatest Japanese hitter ever or you know, a bust. But I like that you're putting putting yourself out there, setting yours so all out early. So this is spicy to me.
Speaker 2: It's personally spicy given the fact that like Monottaka Morikami has basically been my f player for quite a long time from from MDB and he's come along and he's he's flirting with that Mendoza line but also has an eight hundred and fifty o BS, which is like he's doing everything that I thought he would do, but I'm just like, I just still don't know which way that's actually gonna go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. He might even be the third best Japanese hitter in the league this year. Never mind ever, Muraka'm be giving him. Yeah, I run for his money for that sort of older Rookie of the Year award. But I'm going to give this an an eight point five, maybe even a nine. I'm gonna give myself room to give you a ten, but I think that's a nine that's hot. But look, if if Okamsa can keep it up, that's that would be huge for the Blue Jays. I felt like having an extra right handed bat in a lineup that has pot and can help fill some of the voids of guys that like the Shet that left over the off season would be would be massive. I hope you're right. Uh okay, My next one is actually gonna be tangentially related to that. I haven't put down a ways for us to measure this if I'm going to be right or not, which is a great way to never be wrong. I think we are in store for a historically good rookie class this year, and part of that is the older rookies like Murakami Nakamoto who are coming over from Japan and hitting the ground running. Part of that is that there are a bunch of young players who have looked really really good in the first two weeks of the season. Chased the latter, obviously from your team has called off a little bit since being Barry Bond for the first four days of the season, but still looks like being immediately one of Cleveland's best hitters. Oh in case, he has been fantastic for the Marlins. Kevin McGonagall has slotted in as one of the Tiger's best hitters. JJ Weatherholt has been awesome for the Cardinals, and now obviously Conni Griffin, who was down in the miners for all of what three days, has come up signed his long term deal with the Pirates and looks electric. No again, I went back to have a look at, like, well, what was some of the best rookie classes ever, and basically the answer is to have been really really good Bonds recently. Let's see if I can put up the article. But I think even in twenty twenty three or twenty twenty four, the year when what's his name, Jackson Merrill and Yama went head to head for Rookie of the Year. That was like an unbelievable rookie year as far as production goes. So that's one that that stands out. I think, let me see I can find it here. I think there was another year recently. Yeah, So twenty twenty four, there's one hundred and thirty eight point three Rookie war according to fangrafts, and yeah, driven by those two guys. And the year before that, twenty twenty three was also an unbelievable rookie war year thirty four point eight. So I guess those are the thresholds we're trying to clear here. And now I'm looking at those numbers. Hi, so that I might have shot myself in the foot a little bit here. But before that twenty fifteen, which I guess would have been maybe is that for Chris Bryant year fifteen.
Speaker 2: From the hitter's perspective, it is probably like the biggest one like quite a while. But a lot of that was like coming through looking at it, it's like it's defensive war and you have so much of a When you total of the war, you end up being like, oh, like, well, who was the how much are the bottom Like, excuse it back the other way. I think were you and you were talking about like twenty twenty four, the thing was like, I'm just looking at like the hitter side here, Like there were fourteen guys who got to War as a rookie, which is basically saying that like you are, you are a starter, And there were like above average Rockyl five the like above three from a hitting perspective with Merrill Calser, Turio Mason Willen, and Austin Wells from Joey your teas as well. So you're like, these are all guys that are.
Speaker 3: Still around today.
Speaker 2: If you jump back to twenty fifteen, it was Chris Bryant, Matt Duffy, Francis skilnd or A Dubal Herrera, Carlos Carreer, Josh Pederson, Randall Gritchuk.
Speaker 3: So that's eight guys who got three or.
Speaker 2: More war from a from a hitting perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's no belief for rookie class. I guess. An interesting part of this too, is that four of the top ten seasons ever have all been since twenty twenty, which I think goes to show that teams are playing rookies a lot more now than they ever have. Partly and credit to him, I'll be on this incentivized by the fact that you no longer have the reason to keep rooies down for quite as long in the minors for service time, manipulation purposes, or at least you're incentivized to bring them up at some point if you think they're good enough earlier. But I also think teams are just more likely to trust in rookies to be their starters now than they were maybe even ten years ago, where you kind of came up and you'd platoon for a bit, or you come off the bench for a bit, and you know, guys would their rookie edgibility, you would really stretch out, whereas now I think when you're ready, teams think you're ready and they're going to give you a good run in a team. So that's probably been a part of it as well. And there are other guys I didn't mention who either have found their way into starting roles already this year for teams or are like for you to come up and have an impact. I think, especially on the pitching side, you'll probably see more guys get called up as teams get picture injuries and contribute to that. But I think certainly at the top end, it feels like this compared to last year, is a really great rookie class. And I'm high on a few of those guys you mentioned to be you know, immedia allstar level players and some of them you know for fan bases that could really use a new name to cheer for, which is always exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do where do I put this? I think like if we're saying it's going to be like the best ever, like it's definitely like it's a bold statement. I think kind of that once again, like we've got one hundred and fifty twenty five years of baseball or whatever, so basically saying something is the best in that time period is like that's immediately going to give you more than five out of ten in my opinion, because it's just like there's a lot of history to go against, a lot of modern history to go against where those kind of people being used. But you are right that, like you've got that, and you are also slightly skewed by a few of the Japanese players coming across the like technically rookies but aren't really so you can put it out there, so I'll give this six out of ten. I think it's I think it's fairly spoicy. I think that, like because you're hoping on some of the guys who haven't even like come up yet, like having good seasons, like obviously, like as a Cleveland fan, I'm hoping that Chams Bizana comes up fairly shortly and plays a massive impact into that as well. But like a lot of these guys can equally absolutely suck, like we've seen a few of the other like top prospects do, or we know with some of these guys that they can be found out fairly quickly. Although I find that there's enough data on players nowadays that I feel we don't have as much of a sophomore slum from a hitting perspective as we used to. I might have to look into that see if that's the case or not, because it's just like, you know what, everybody has all your triple A data, so all your double A data, so they can pretty much know what to do to you anyway. So we'll see how that kind of comes through. But no, I like the spiciness of that.
Speaker 1: Ben Yeah, long left the rookies.
Speaker 3: The Rookies.
Speaker 2: So to take the end my segue from Rookies to Rockies, Oh I love that is is the cause effect finally going to work in the Rockies favor That is my That is my thing that I'm going to say, And again not quite certain how we're going to like measure this, but my hotcakes basically is that like like Zach Viene and Cam Smith, one of those two players will get close to basically like the course field like home run record, basically like for the single season. I think that like Colorado finally potentially has might have a couple of sluggers who could do something in that canvas park and actually kind of like do the damage themselves instead of having the damage inflicted on them.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like this. Well, I can't believe you're the one who came up with a Rockies prediction and not me. So hang on, who do you think do you think someone's gonna set the single season cause field home run record? Is kind of your prediction?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, interesting, Yeah with me saying probably Zac Viene or Cam Smith? Cam Smith of well, yeah, what I was saying with Cam Smith is like obviously I was that was that was a bit of a joke.
Speaker 3: More that like obviously having.
Speaker 2: The whole number of games they he's played there, the like absolute moonshot, the like he's going to play like eight games the other this season and we'll score.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think I would like this prediction. If you predicted that a non Rocky full stop is going to hold the record for most time runs of course field this year, I might like that. Certainly com Smith looked that, Yeah, the better hitter than anyone that the Rockies have. Okay, well, this is a fun one. I wish I shared your optimism. Yeah, it's definitely hot, maniacts are good. He's hit for you home runs already, and some one called t J. Brumfields look good and Hunter Gibb will hit some home runs. I just don't believe in the Rockies at all. But so spicy, I guess is the conclusion I'm coming to here. Do you know what the record is? No, this is just this is this one I made up just for you. One of the guys in the early two thousands, hasn't it corse Field, like Vinnie Castea or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I imagine thing.
Speaker 2: It's probably somewhere in the thirties, which is probably actually fairly difficult to get at.
Speaker 1: But the Rockies and their opponents combined for three hundred and three home runs in nineteen ninety nine. That's awesome. The average score, of course, was eight seven. That freaking rules anyway. I can't really find a number, but I like this is hot. I will give it an eight out of ten. I cannot see a world in which this is true, because I do think it, despite the fact they've actually brought themselves back to five hundred, that the Rockies are terrible still, But I will give it a seven out of ten for spice.
Speaker 2: And will be is seemingly suggesting that Mary Walker and Todd Hilton have hit forty night home runs. No, that's the whole season record, not by what they actually did at. I hate that you can't find these things easily. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm terrible looking up these kind of stats.
Speaker 3: I'll get it. I'm looking stat head and see if I can find it while we chatting away.
Speaker 1: While we chat well, pivot, I have a somewhat Rockies tangential hot take, which I don't know. It's another one I'm not sure I believe in myself, but I think it's worth bringing up. Is it possible that no one stinks this year? And that, however much we thought there were still a lot of really bad teams in baseball, maybe even the bad ones aren't that bad now. Because the Rockies, as I said, got back to five hundred. I think they lost yesterday, so they're back below five hundred. But they've looked competitive so far this year. I think they possibly even still have a positive run differential, which is not something that you can usually say about the Colorado Rockies. White Talks have got Mura kamei and have won a few games of baseball and don't look horrendous. The Nationals have had some fun games, and you know C J. Abrams Lo that's great, and so does Wood and maybe some of the younger guys will keep improving. And who else do we think we're going to be terrible? Like the Guardians have been great, The Twins have been fine, The Marlins a the top of the l East. Is it impossible Nationals or your are your black sheep so far team? But this is this is actually something that more like I think lines up with my little, my little snippet one that I said, when you were talking about the Blue Jays. Is that I genuinely think that like the Dodgers will get up two one hundred, and I probably think the Yankees will get into the mid nineties or high nineties. I'm not certain basicky on anybody else actually getting there being some top top teams, which means that also that mosto means the pregeneral you don't have bad bad teams to go with it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like team nobody give.
Speaker 2: But I think the line to maybe take is how many teams get sixty something or or like does everybody? I guess, does everybody get to seventy wins?
Speaker 1: Is your I'm not going to make my heart take that hot, but I'm going to say no team loses one hundred games.
Speaker 3: I was given that we've had probably.
Speaker 2: We've had a couple for the last like two or three seasons that like regularly somebody has so somebody has been actively like properly asked tanking.
Speaker 1: They only had two one hundred game losers last year, but one of them did lose one hundred and nineteen. The price is for guessing which team that was. Obviously the year before that, the White Sox literally set the single season lost record, So maybe the least, at the very least, we're not going to have one and twenty lost team this year, which would be a step forward. But I think, yeah, I think maybe this is the year that you know, the very bottom rises ever so slightly off the off the ocean floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, that would be amazing if we could actually get to that. I think it would be uh, I think it would be much It would be an interesting position.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 3: Then for MLB to go like competitive ballops is an issue, it's a good.
Speaker 1: Point, can make things interesting in that conversation.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, yeah, it's really a big issue when actually like no one has stanking or maybe they can be like, look, we're all the same, and the Dodgers they're just they're just so good. We can't catch to them.
Speaker 1: I mean, they'll just do still look like a level above, don't they, which is just boring at this point. Out of yourselves, but everyone else, yeah, it's all pretty close. I mean, a worse run of frenchial and baseball belongs to the White Sox, no surprises. They're the second worst the Blue Jays, which backs up your argument. But you know, for the most part, it's been a lot of competitive baseball so far, which which we love to see.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I'll i'll I like it, Ben, I do like it. I think it's it's solidly in there again as something that's like not having one hundred lost team is I think just someone will do that, which means that once again, it's like it does go above that. Like at five mark for me would have kind of like saying that, like I think that it is sliding more more unlikely than likely. So I think I'm gonna give you another six out of ten. I think it is solidly like it's a good take. It's a good hot with that, like just like singles out here, you know, I know there.
Speaker 3: So I'll drop off the back a little bit of what you said.
Speaker 1: Like it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go tell you one.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to have Andy Paters as the highest war for a LA Dodgers outfielder come the end of the season for.
Speaker 1: An l A Dodgers outfield Okay, I thought you're going to go super spicy and just position player, but outfielders tempering it a little. He's off to a great start, so lead effectively, is he going to out is the real bet to it, and basically, as he's given himself for almost a one war head start, it's like, how long is the other one?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: I guess yeah?
Speaker 3: Basically it's effectively out of those three.
Speaker 2: I thought about going Mike for whole positional player, and I was like, I think that's probably too I don't think that's that's actually going to happen. So this one might might come down on the hot take regard, but it's because it's a little bit too likely to happen.
Speaker 1: I like it, spicy, you know, don't call me a status nerd, but a five thirty three babbit feels tough to sustain for a full season. What what?
Speaker 3: What? But he's one of those guys, isn't he that? Like it's so annoying with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: They just find these dudes that are like any other team would be a bench bat and wouldn't go anywhere and would end up kind of in that quada bouncing around position, and the Dodgers turned them from those players into like genuine, legitimate everyday players who contribute with the glove and the bat. And he's just the next one in that in that line, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: I think he's going to keep this up all yet, No.
Speaker 2: For me, he's a hilarious one because last year a when I went to went to with my partner and we saw a couple of Angels games against the Pirates and Dodgers game against the Pirates, and we watched Schemes versus Yamamoto at which the Pirates actually won three nil in Dodger Stadium, and Poe has got three hits of schemes and like no one else got like more than one.
Speaker 3: So it got me checking.
Speaker 2: We had the chat on the podcasts where I'm just like, if you were to just go to baseball games and we didn't have the Internet, you've come back being like this guy's great, Like he got like three hits against like the best the best picture in baseball. But you kind of just have those singular moments and I'm just like, again, it's almost like does he like April, Like is this just his time of the year where he's like this is when he actually gets on form before everybody else kind of warms back up and the season slowly kind of slides off him.
Speaker 1: So you've had this take marinating for about a year. Then you you were convinced at that point, Pathez is, you know, he's the best player on the Dodges. I just need time to work out how it happens. And here it is. This is yeah, this is hot. I mean really, it's just is Pat has a better baseball player than car Tucker this year, which is probably a no, but I I think it's possible. So I'm going to bring it down to a five out of ten. All he needs is a couple of hot months and for Tucker to you know, get injured or be rubbish, which hopefully isn't the case, but it could happen. Could happen. I'll take that fine. My next take where I'm I going to go with this, Let's keep it in the outfield. I think we have to discuss this game on the podcast at some point. So my take is pretty simple, and I don't think this is hot. Honestly. Joe Adell had the best single game defensive performance in Major League Baseball history when he robbed three home runs for the Angels last week in a one nil game against the Marinas. There's literally no way to quantify this because the defensive metrics we have just aren't built to measure single game value. When it comes to robbing home runs. So I don't really know how you approve this, but I just think based on what we know about previous games and amazing defensive performances, I can't see how anyone can compete with what he did. So probably not a hot take, but I think we just have to mention the fact that that was the most insane thing I've ever seen an outfield to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if there's a way of getting like DRS or efens or like or any of like the outfield above average, like a feeling above average metrics for a singular game, but like I haven't looked to see like what the catch probability of those things work. But there anytime you rob something like that, it's pretty it's pretty ridiculous. And to do it like three times in very similar ways, it's like every single one of them is him running to his left like taking it basically like at the fence. I think they're within like I want to say, like twenty feet of each other, like on the fence as well, So.
Speaker 1: Identical, weren't they. Then I'll see the third one he ends up in the crowd, which, if anything, added to the drama of it.
Speaker 3: Also tangential hot take that should be a home run.
Speaker 1: I knew you're going to bring this up. Disagree.
Speaker 2: That is an opinion that I've had and I wrote an article about probably like five years ago now. But JBJ did what did it? Once at in at Fenway. But I'm like, if you don't maintain the ball in the field, it's left the field, like I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: The ball like that.
Speaker 1: Everything you're saying makes total sense. I don't agree, But how cool is it when a guy dives into the stands and then just stands up like a del did glove in the air.
Speaker 2: It's made by the girl who took the photo like behind it, but you have that like you have to shot in glove in hand like almost like Rocky power posse. I'm like, there should be a joyed Ell statue of that by the end of the season as far as I'm concerned, Like they they've got a deal or they should be a joy A Dell bobble head with that of that pose of the season, like because you got to live on it like it is right now, like yeah, it's it's undeniable, like a yeah, it's not a particularly hot take. To suggest that there would be a better defensive performance than that in the season best defensive performance. Ever, honestly, we don't see enough defensive highlights to basically be like to actually see what's happening in the past. There's probably be some old timers who will be telling us about like well the attack and other things like that, where you plays that saved a perfect game or whatever to do to do those sorts of things, or but an assisted triple plays and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like.
Speaker 2: It's it's phenomenal and in our day and age, where like you, it's like I think we probably all woke up and saw all three and saw basically I saw the highlight of basically like Adele Rob's three home runs and basically kind of like happen, so kind of it was lost a little bit on us, but like the it's just how it happened to the people who were there or the people who watch it watch it live.
Speaker 3: I just can't think of anything that would be like it'd be more ridiculous.
Speaker 2: So you have watched something that probably hasn't happened in the one hundred thousand baseball games that have happened in Major League history.
Speaker 3: So it's just like, yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of it is like luck because they're three amazing catches, but like to have three balls that were all basically a foot above the fence hit to the exact same part of the park is super like. The reason that you don't see many home run robberies is that there aren't very many opportunities generally home run robberies. So to have three balls all hit to his side of the field and foot above the fence that he could rob obviously just takes just an insane stroke of yeah, luck or variants to to make that happen. But the fact that he caught all three, the fact it was a one nil game, Yeah, it's just nuts, isn't it. And you know what could be more high leverage than you know, the Angels winning one of their sixty six wins this year in April against the Mariners. That's that's the stuff of dreams.
Speaker 2: The true Angels aspect of it. It should have been a one nil loss. It should have been a freaking tungsten armord oyl.
Speaker 1: Like, that's true, that's very true.
Speaker 2: The hottake of saying that this is the defensive formance of the season one at zero.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, ahull time two.
Speaker 2: I've got to give it a three or a four because it's just okay, honestly, like I haven't watched there are so many baseball games out there that like, we could put this out on the internet and somebody or go ask like some of the baseball historians and they'll like give us snippets of some games where somebody did X, Y, Z and and kind of happened.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think that was funny. You mentioned Jason Starke did an article where he tried to prove whether it was the best Frien's Points all the time, and he basically o cocclusionally came to us impossible to know, but probably yes, because he did talk to historians, and he talked to broadcasters, and he even asked chat gpt who were useless, and basically it's like, look, there were other games where players did really great made really great plays, but nothing that was like quite as obvious run value worthy as robbing three home runs is. So he decided it was. But like you say, if you talk to someone who you know vaguely remembers to nineteen twenty eight whatever game, then they might disagree.
Speaker 2: So the thing is Ben you've just talked to me, like back down, basically saying down to a one. Yeah, yeah, this isn't a hot take basically because it's just the freaking truth.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a two.
Speaker 2: Because there's like there's a potential like something else out there that like could have happened that we just don't know about.
Speaker 1: I'll take it. The better hot take, I guess would be that he should get exactly one win above replacement given to his stats for winning the game for them, But we'll save that conversation for another time. Over to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think this is quite my This is my fun and spiciest one.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 2: Fans love the ABS system right now, but I think in two months time they're going to realize that all this is actively doing is basically giving more strikes than it is balls, and it's actually suppressing run values. So it's basically making the game lower scoring game. And we might get to this point because it's been a lowers starting score that was scoring to the season. Maybe not enough to actually kind of say anything definitive because it's April and it's always LOWC dead of temperatures, but I'm going to say, like by June or July, you're going to start to hear rumblings of some anti anti ABS sentiment more on the basis of the fact that it's like it's it's actually a run suppressing change.
Speaker 1: This is a great take. I like it because everyone is so pro ABS right now, and obviously the fans seem to be enjoying it. That credits MLB. They've got the process down to a ta haven't They wear it so quick to come up with a decision, and there's a sort of drama and theater of watching it on the big screen, and the ball comes in and shung and then you know.
Speaker 2: It's They've taken the best elements of like hawkeye and tennis, which I think, as far as I'm concerned, is the gold standard for you're using basically something to measure something which you basically should empirically be able to and basically give a result quickly like it's there. The fact that it's within generally like five ten seconds, the crowd gets to have its Oh well, you've already basically had had phenomenal moments of like Carl Schwarber basically walking to first base even though like the strike was called because he's just like that mat like there's nowhere near like and we we are seeing some amazing things about it. Seeing there were Genio Suarez called to be struggling, but yeah twice and having them like both overturned and so you're just like consecutive pitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pure entertainment, and I absolutely love it from that perspective. Like I think that I was somebody who was one hundred percent on like, if you're going to do this, make it like purely robo lamps and just move it aside and move on. But I do think that if you think about this, I think now that if you think about basically more of an as an entertainment product than just the other parts of just getting everything right, this does actually do that, and I think that it's been introduced like brilliantly. I'll also be on the fact the window seeing that like some players are like three inches shorter than they that they were, which is absolutely hairs. I think, like, is it Bregman who's gone from being above six foot to below six foot? There's quite a few players that have dropped below six foot now that they've been measured and told basically that their height being too tall is actually will give them a.
Speaker 3: Higher strike zone.
Speaker 1: Suddenly it's beneficial to be five foot nine, so they're all quite happy to be.
Speaker 2: There'll be some scandals that people are now too short, probably at some point, but yeah, no, I think what happened this is what happened in Triple A last year. There were more more balls were overturned to strikes, and strikes were overturned to balls.
Speaker 1: So that's interesting.
Speaker 2: This was like forty five ratio, and it's sat a little bit higher than that right now in NMLB. But I think people I don't know whether people will pick this up of any broadcaster will ever talk about it, but I think some people might start to not like it because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think obviously it's a bit too soon to start drawing conclusions from the results, but I know, even after the first weekend, it was instantly clear that the best people at getting successful challenges were catchers, who have a much better understanding and obviously site of the strike zone crouch back there and hitters do and pictures, which inturitively makes sense and then intuitively would mean that more balls becomes strikes because that's the ones. Those the ones that they're challenging, So that is interesting. I hadn't considered that it might be run to pressing in the long run. Obviously. I love the fact that it's so universally liked right now, that you are one step ahead saying let's be the first to hate it. That's great. I enjoy that a little bit like when Tony Romo first did play by play or color commentary, sorry, and you know now everyone hates him. If you were the first to say, actually, Romeo's rubbish, that was like, you know, something you could look back on proudly. So maybe maybe we can be the first to say, actually, AVS is crap, but yeah, this is spicey. I don't see it happening. I think because it's it's been instituted so well, it adds a layer to the game, and even though there you know, as a whole, it may end up being run to pressing. I think the calls that we want overturned are those ones where batters get wrung up on pictures outside in a bit spot and they have no exactly. So I think the public perception will still be we overturn that massive strikeout, which is good for my team and then you know we've got a hit or whatever. So even if the data bears out that it's bad for runs, it might be that public perception is different. But yeah, I like to take a lot. Maybe it'll take a couple of years. I could see you being right. The other thing I think is a shame about abs. We're going to get fewer rejections now, right because magers can't argue with science. You know, they used to be able to run out the dug out and scream at an umpire for getting a call wrong. Well, now the umpire can be like, shouldn't challenged it, mate? You know there's no there's no drama in the ball strike calls anymore.
Speaker 2: I think you are right, but I think we're going to see the glorious ones where like you're either going to get somebody ejected for still disagreeing with what the fresh shown, or you're going to get people objecting that either someone took too long to challenge and it was excepting was not didn't challenge fast enough and didn't get it accepted. Because there was I think there was one in like spring training where like I can't remember who it was, but basically they were basically they took the pitch and were going to they're basically taking their stuff off to go to first and the un called it a strike and they were just like what, oh, I do this? And then I was like, now you wait too long, and I was just like, well, I didn't think you were going to call it like a strike, so I wasn't even thinking about asking for it.
Speaker 3: So well, that was a great one. Only a couple of days ago.
Speaker 1: Now Otani was pitching Will Smith catching I say if you saw this, but Attani threw a pitch that was called a ball. It was right to be close, but not super close, and he went to adjust his hat on his head after the pitch, and will Smith thought he was tapping his head to say challenge it. So then will Smith challenged it because he saw the sign from Ottani as being challenged that pitch for me, and it was a ball, So the challenge failed. But because o'tanni had gone to disadjust his hat, it got misconstrued as a challenge signal. So I could definitely see a jack because a player says, oh, no, no, no, I was just adjusting my helmet or I was just doing this and that could quite easily get complicated, but that probably is more a growing pain as people get used to the new system.
Speaker 2: Well, something that's probably only may may impact us and a few of our listeners. In British baseball, we've been informed that touching your cat will be treated the same as drawing a line in.
Speaker 1: The dirt, so we'll get an ejection.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting for people in British baseball to get ejected by tabbing the helmet or in your case, so you're saying someone might just be genuinely like adjusting their helmet and then it's just like yoga.
Speaker 1: If you can't see that as just being funny, then I think you need to send to a human check. But god lesson about that. The better right do I give you a number? I'm going to give you a seven. I think that's spicy. I can't see it coming true, but I like that you're getting ahead of the abs. Is bad. Actually take seven out of ten. So for my next one, I am going to I'm going to go with another moment that I felt like we have to discuss at some point. That's happened in the first couple of weeks. So my hot take is this Walt Weiss might be the most likely sixty two year old in the world to kick your ass, because for those who missed it, he managed to get quite quickly into the middle of the brew haha. The fracas that took place in the Angels Braves game a few days ago when Jejge Celaire charged the mound because he felt Ronaldo Lopez was throwing at his head. And it was a weird charge of the man, wasn't it, because it like, there's the ball got away, the player stole second. I went second on the pass ball, and then they sort of stared at each other for a few seconds, and then Celair charged the mound, but it took a weirdly long time for it to get broken up, and obviously on the replay it turns out it was Walt Weiss in the middle of it who went low in the tackle. We managed to bring Celaire down, which a bit embarrassing for the raised players that you have to have your manager step in there to end things. But also credit to what Wise who is, as I said, sixty two years old, but is a black belt in taekwondo practices, practices mixed martial arts and I think even has other like interesting karate or some other martial arts areas which I had no idea about, but maybe explains why he was so keen to get involved. The jury is obviously still out on how successful he will be as a manager. I didn't have a great stint with the Rockies, and you know he's ay ten games in with the Brats. I won't judge you much on that, but the jury is not out on whether he can stand up for himself. He will kick your ass. He to give him a chance to. And I think you know that that's my hot take. Do not mess with wart Wise. He will. He'll beat you up, put you in a pretzel.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll gonna give it to you here, We're gonna give it to you. No like that whole thing like you as you described it is just it's just beautifully hilarious because it's like Solair has Lopez's number, like you like. The small amount of stats you have in baseball actually from an individual versus like a pitcher is generally not enough until they've probably faced each other like sixty times before you can actually say someone is just better or worse or where it's still random variance, but Celaire is strongly on the way to basically being just knowing exactly what Lopez does. He'd already hit him with a home hit, a home run against him in the game, He'd already been hit by pitched I'm just amazed that I just that ball just had to be so wild that a play happened that Celi didn't go immediately like I don't know how like a ball going behind your head after you've already been hit once didn't set him off already. And then he's like, it's just just it's a beautiful moment in baseball where you're just like it looks like everything is like you're gonna calm, nothing's gonna happen you thought could happen, And they're just jarring at each other saying stuff, and then they come out. It gets some swings. Freaking Lopez punches him with like the ball, takes a swing with the balls still in his hand. Love that, and like, I think makes reasonable contact, and you're then you're just like, oh, so seven games each and I was just like okay, sure, like you I feel like they're definitely trying to stamp it out a little bit more than they used towar. I swear like when a miner Garrett went basically just by himself against the Pirates, he goingly got like four games for that or something like that.
Speaker 3: Might be completely nothing wrong, but.
Speaker 2: It definitely feels like they're trying to stamp this thing out of baseball. But yeah, wallow man, that is just like I didn't see that like what I saw the first time round, but I saw a comment that somebody had put on on a post a picture about it, and it'd just been like, dude, I am fighting with the Braves this season. The unwritten rules are not going to be enforced against the Braves.
Speaker 1: Now he got out there forced. Yeah, don't mess with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think obviously, as a sixty two year old in baseball, I think that's probably like a non particularly hot take. I think there are probably are some some other jacked and ripped sixty two year olds that can easily put us both to shame. With you. No, it's not saying much, but I'm saying within seconds will be like we'll be crying on the floor in an arm bar in like two seconds flat. So yeah, I think if we're saying like the sixty two year old in baseball. It's it's a one out of a one out of ten, but it's a as a sixty two year old you probably don't want to meet in a in a bar fight.
Speaker 3: It's it's still probably up there as a two or three out of ten.
Speaker 1: I'll take it. Put some respect on my mom. Walt's name.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: I've got one one more than I think is spicy enough to discuss. I think case is Riano more finished top three in the sy Young, Like which is this?
Speaker 3: This comes?
Speaker 2: I had written this one down before we will get to a second. Weally ask some of our our listeners in one of the chats to come up with some of their own and Nick right Ara, resident Angels fan was was up there saying that I think did he say he was actually going to win it? Or he said they actually win the sy Young So it can's come a little bit further than I will. But like he's three games in like twenty innings, pitched one run, like conceded.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's good?
Speaker 3: Like it's not bad.
Speaker 2: Like you're getting to the point where you're just kind of like, okay, sixty six percent ground bor eight is not like particularly sustainable, but like, okay, like we have now tilted our heads to you and been like, you've done ten percent of the season, and you're in a pretty stellar position after ten percent. So yeah, I think I think he's uh, he's putting his name in in in the hack pretty strongly.
Speaker 1: I like it. He definitely deserves recognition, doesn't he. I think he was good last year, but you you're average fan myself included, probably didn't really care because he played for the Angels and you know, the the I guess numbers that your eyes in me to gravitate to, like ERA weren't amazing, so you kind of were like, well, you know, who cares? But this year he's taken it to another level. Obviously, strikeouts up, walks down, which again to the pretty quick metrics to stabilize, and you know, is he going to have an ERA below one all year? Probably not? But is he going to be legitimately an ace? I think signs point to probably yes, and you know, not just an ace in the angel sense, which you know would just be someone with a working right arm. So do I think he's gonna win some young no or compete for it? Still probably no? But do I think, Yeah, do I think that this is a legitimate like maybe the number one starting pitcher? Kind of hard to argue based on my results so far this year. And again it's another fun reason to have to tune into Angels baseball because he throws hard, strikes guys out and is really good. So so this is spicy, give it like a seven. I mean, we see guys have good starts every year, you know, and it just happens to be Hosy this year and good for him, but always going to take his one blow up start, and those numbers start to look a bit more, a bit more down to earth, don't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's three and oh through three games. Think he's the only player.
Speaker 1: So we're doing it about wins now while we rustle tune has changed.
Speaker 2: The difficulty more is Cam shit lerg Kevin Gausman, Taj Bradley even obviously like Max Fried and Tighter and Derek Schoolball have all looked particularly good. Not even to say like Joe Ryan and Dylan Cees have all looked pretty good as well. Yeah, good pictures in the aar on the al side, I think you've had a lot of a lot of top pictures.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean, look, I hope I'm proven wrong. He's yeah, he's been awesome and yeah, he's definitely put his hand hat into contention early doors, and we'll see if they continue to see I'll give that a I'll give that a seven. One of my I've got two left. One of mine is related to one that we got in in the WhatsApp, so I'll save that and we can talk about it then when we go through those quickly so well, lots of one is related to the newser came out. I want to say yesterday, which is that eight teams are going to have new City Connect uniforms coming this year. And my hot take up, I guess is kind of lukewarm if that when you think about it, is that all eight are just good. They're good uniforms, like Seey Connects. He's been around for a little while. Now this is the fourth Yeah, I think of of teams getting the uniforms, and they've obviously had one version. Now we're kind of onto that the second round of teams getting follow up uniforms, and arguably it could start to get a little bit stale because the whole point of the City Connect was like a really cool, unique uniform that connects a team with a city, and it's kind of like, well, once you've done it once and then you try and do it again, does it not make it not unique anymore? But I think they've they've nailed it on this occasion. You know. The Rangers and Pirates ones I think are a bit boring, but generally speaking would wear and that's just all you need from a new spinoff uniform. They're all, you know, somewhat unique, look cool. They're the kind of thing that you can wear to a ball game but also just wear for fun, which I think is always a good box at the city connect uniform should tick. A lot of the hats as well, are really fun, so you know, I'm sure. And then, look, fashion is subjective. People going to call me an idiot for liking some of them, but that's my view that they're all like really nice uniforms that build off the original versions that each team had, and so it's a tick from me.
Speaker 2: So I think I mostly agree with you. I fall on the Cincinnati one as probably the one that like just makes it not a complete It's a bit boring in sweep of Okay, ones like to me like there's two things that I would like them really to do. One basically is either you've got to go completely different colors to like your normal things, to basically like bring a different vibe, bring something in, kind of throw it out there. Or it's got to like really show off something kind of either specifical or unique about the city that for some of all the places. Some as we don't really know this, Like I know some people haven't particularly liked the Boston ones, but I actually think the Boston ones have been really good. The obviously the the Marathon colors which they use with that yellow and blue one to start off with, and then the green one which is all around kind of like Fenway Park and the Monster. I think they all really work. They're different to kind of like what they normally are, but they also kind of tick that one off. You're wearing the Rockies one like right now, which like if it was just that top jersey, I would have loved the same reason why I'm going to have a go at like the Cincinnati one basically like colored pants, looks like college or like company softball level sort of like look like just the.
Speaker 1: Police.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the city they've.
Speaker 2: Gone basically just like full red, and I'm just like, it's the one thing that I'm just like, it just doesn't work for me personally. And then you can say that I think even a little bit about like the Pirates one as well, going like going like full black.
Speaker 3: It kind of it does give like the college feel.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying whether that's a good or a bad thing, but like I think that kind of like it doesn't quite work the same way for the Cincinnati one, but like the rest, Like I actually quite like the Texas one, Like it's a it feels like a it's a it's a nod in a in a good direction when it's coming to things like Texas and everything else. Yeah, Like the San Diego one is like, okay, cool, fine, it is what it is, Pirates one or maybe I like the cap Okay, the font looks kind of cool, but there isn't really anything that new one. It a bit like they already have black jerseys that they only seem to wear and Pol's games are playing and and and all of that stuff. We saw it in our in discussions in our little chat group about whether what is whisker and if it's actually anything to do with like and it seems like it's a it's a phrase for the young uns, not not for a for as older millennials or above. I actually really like the Royals one. I saw it like a discussion about like where like the specific colors come from, and like the stylization they all like the Fountain City and stuff like that. Like I wasn't wasn't too sold on it when it was just like originally white, but kind of like actually kind of seeing it and seeing like where it comes from, like it does actually look quite nice, and I think the cap is actually like it's pretty nice. So as someone who was prepared to hate all of these, because I'd thought that like most of the teams have basically there was a few hot ones to come out to start out the blocks, but it got pretty kind of like tepid sense of like a lot of ones that were just like the team colors, just with a slightly different variation and a slightly different font and and all that sort of stuff. No, I think they're they're all, yeah, they're all pretty good this year. So it's I think I think it is a hot tape bend because I know that people a lot of people don't like them.
Speaker 3: I agree with your take, which.
Speaker 2: It's gonna it's gonna come down, and like it's probably only like a four out of ten, I think, because like some people do like them. But yeah, I'll take it cool. So, as we both kind of briefly mentioned, we just have some takes from our listeners, so we're just gonna quickly jump through those.
Speaker 3: Too, basically go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we'll start off with Jason, who's a much maligned Pirates fan. He said that a traffic cone is the Pirates single biggest sack of position since Lashes traded dabline. If you've seen their kind of like celebration of scoring home runs, they basically just kind of like have taken a traffic cone from somewhere and that's now what they use for their home runs celebration. Love it, which is just like it has very student vibes.
Speaker 1: I don't know university.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how much it is a vibe in the US compared to what it is a vibe in the UK, But putting putting traffic ouns on statues is put parful of being a student. As far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: I like this take the only thing I'll say, I didn't hear as part of it, you know, in some way belittle Rhino'hearn, who, by the way, is raking as a pilot so far. I don't know if his point was just that this carabricade is so valuable that not even the great Rhino Hearn can compete with him. But yeah, we'll have no Rhino hernstander on this podcast. He's he's been unbelievable so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got from Tommy the Marlins fans out and Finn on the Denver Broncos.
Speaker 3: Owner now is the.
Speaker 2: The Rockies, So the Rockies now have money to spend, so time to trade attorney to cause. I like it.
Speaker 1: This one's a good take. Yeah, I see it happening.
Speaker 2: I think this has to go on the hottiest of hot takes because I don't think it's ever going to happen.
Speaker 1: It might be good for your prediction about the most home runs. Of course, Field that pretty comfortably.
Speaker 2: Jed with his trademark elocution, has told us that the Tigers are shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a little bit early to jump on that.
Speaker 2: On that that point, but I think anybody who supports a team in the ale central optimism is not a is part of the course, so.
Speaker 3: We'll see how that one goes.
Speaker 2: But they're pretty much kind of, I think, thrown away any major expectation that they're gonna run away with this division against the rest. And I think when I looked at Fangrass yesterday, it was predicting like eighty one or eighty two wins for the four teams that aren't the White Sox. So I still got a chance to get out on the division. But I don't think anything's looking good.
Speaker 1: But it'd be a fun race.
Speaker 3: Tony Game is another one. Marlins will win the NL East.
Speaker 1: Spicy, that's spicy.
Speaker 3: I mean they've looked good so far this year, top of the n Eleast right now. Mason Miller to win the Cy Young.
Speaker 1: So this one is related to one that I had, Yeah, which this is spicier than what I had. I say he is going to have the best relief pitcher season ever. I don't know. Maybe that is just a spicy, but he has been un a leaf ball this year twenty seven and two third scoreless inning streak so far, which obviously stretches back to last year, and so far this year he's faced twenty one hitters and he's struck out sixteen of them. That is obscene. Obviously he would keep that up all year. But I do like this take. I think cy Young might be out of reach, just because you have to be so good in sixty innings to be able to be out starters. But he's on pace to be like Peak Rivera meets Peak Chapman meets peak name another legendary relief pitcher. He's stilled unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's one of those ones where you're just like, he's what he's gonna have to do is like a like fifty saves season to touch you say, it's less than one e r A and like one hundred and ten strikeouts, and maybe he's got a chance. Yeah, and especially when it's probably even seeing it right now that like Edwin Diaz already has four saves, un like you're gonna have like the best.
Speaker 3: In that division and division.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're right. I save this one.
Speaker 2: We could have discussed it beforehand. Fraser, he's a Cardinals fan, came through with Sandia cantra Is all the way back. There's a few saying that the Sandy would basically it's going to the cy young but the hot take part of it is going to propel the Marlins to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Another Marlin's playoff prediction. Okay, getting some steam, I mean, sounding has been great. I kind of assume they're going to trade him at some point, but he's an awesome Jim. He didn't get to get the chance to compete that compete any other night, but you never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jordan Walker as finally has his breakout in Cardinal's Best Hitter of the Year.
Speaker 1: I've made a bad joke about Jordan walk on the Predictions Pod two, saying it was year twelve, people predicting he's going to break out, and he's breaking out and he's still only like twenty three. He's still so young. I hold my hands up, Jordan Walker, I might have, Well.
Speaker 3: What's thefic?
Speaker 2: Get? Is it the smallest ample size? We've just finally seen the few balls that he's hitting the air and not on the ground because he always absolute shit out a bit like.
Speaker 3: One of those ones.
Speaker 1: But he's got five home runs in twelve games this year. He had six and one hundred and eleven last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, not bad play, fair play, Pete with his obviously keeping his feet on the ground. Jazz traded back to the Marlins at the deadline. That's fun, Okay, predict Marlins in the playoffs. That might be the most shocking thing we've heard tonight. I don't really see that really happening with Jack the Yankees doing well, unless they're going to get a get something else out of it, which would probably be Sandy.
Speaker 1: Jazz.
Speaker 3: He says, No, that's that Yankee's rotation really needs to.
Speaker 2: Help Joe with his Joel Bailey, with his in one of our fantasy groups, has constantly talked about the fact that he's still arthuly surprised that Taylor Wolves has a job and he has his hot takers, that he'll still have a job come comes September, even though he faughly believes that he is the worst shortstop in in Tampa ray history.
Speaker 1: I was about to say this isn't Taylor Walls base prediction, then I refuse to believe it's come from Joel. So I'm glad that he's come through there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a few people asking him though that you just said he was still in a job, So does counting that if he's driving for Uber count as still being in a job in September, poor tailor Wolves and Sean was just joking on that the actual trade for the four Jazz will be for a bucket of balls after he's been booed like Joey Gallo come July for jazz.
Speaker 1: Hot takes a bucket of balls worse than cash considerations, I think it has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we'll take cast considerations.
Speaker 1: So there we have it.
Speaker 3: There are a quick fire hot takes from from the group out there. I think that there.
Speaker 2: I think the Marlins and Mason Miller winning the cy Young are probably the two Hartits takes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like those. There's a lot Mason millerf you never know. Well, there we have it. So what our hottest one we got was you had a nine? Didn't you? Which one did I give you a nine for? Was that the Kimodo? Yeah, o Kamoto, third best Japanese hit forever? Yeah, I stand by that. That's that's nuclear.
Speaker 3: We didn't get.
Speaker 2: We didn't get down into the other stuff that i'd potentially like written down but didn't really look into too much. To be like, is Peter Alonso going to propel Baltimore to the to the playoffs, is we were finally seeing the real jack lighter like it.
Speaker 1: We've got plenty of time.
Speaker 3: Kind of maybe you brunched on the Chicago White Sox aren't actually that bad.
Speaker 1: It's looking good at the moment. But look, as we mentioned at the top of the show, we are literally ten to twelve games into the season, and if we don't look stupid by this time next week, we almost certainly will buy this next month. But good news is by then we'll have done, you know, two more podcasts contraduting ourselves even further, so therefore making it impossible to, you know, prove that we ever even had that opinion in the first place. But thank you for listening to to tonight's podcast. We appreciate you jumping on, and we are going to try and be a little bit more consistent now getting out some new pods and content each week as a season rolls on. Keep an eye out for that, make sure you subscribe. Do obviously check us out on YouTube where you can watch us, not just listen to us. But yeah, if you're a podcast listener, then do review and rate. It does help us out a lot. Also as saying you should check out the Balage and theirs website. I know Gavin the team are doing a lot of hard work as usual keeping that updated with content with the start of the season underway. If you do want to write for us, then let us know. Now's a great time to join that team and start writing some content. We're always looking for contributors, so get stuck in and yeah, follow us on the socials. So I'll leave it at that, Russell, thank you for joining me oh pleasure man as always, and we will speak to you all very soon. Bye bye.