Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buckeye Wesly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with more time.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Tony is going well?
Speaker 3: The vibes on this show are not going to be quite as good as the vibes on many recent shows, because we got to kind of talk about the okay, if things don't go great.
Speaker 2: For Ohio state this year, where if it might things fall a little bit short.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who is to blame?
Speaker 1: What position? If you just line up all the position rooms like right in a row here and be like you're giving it the Uncle Jesse like point at you know, particular rooms, which could those be in terms of just falling short of being the unpleasant surprise if you will? And you know I've been getting I've been letting you go first and all of these shows that we've been doing. So I'm gonna just continue because I continue to win. Tom, what's the first one on your mind to me?
Speaker 3: I think the first one is wide receiver to me, because you've got Jeremi Smith.
Speaker 2: You know what Jeremiah Smith is.
Speaker 3: The problem you've got is the standard is so high for what an Ohio state wide receiver room is and You've got Jeremi Smith and then everyone else. I kind of look at and go, well, I have some questions, Not that they're doomed, not that this can't work, just I have questions. What is Devin McEwan going to be this year? What is Kyle Parker going to be this year? Ken Brandon and has take a step forward this year? What are you going to get out of the true freshman? These are the answer to all of these. Could be you're getting a lot, You're going to be incredibly impressed. This is going to be just as good a wide receiver room as it has been over the previous several years. Entirely possible, but this is just you don't have a Carneal Tait on the other side of the field right now from Jeremiah Smith. Maybe someone will turn into that. Entirely possible, but right now you don't have that. And with as much as Ohio State has leaned on its wide receivers over the last few years, it feels like this is an area where if the offense isn't what it could be. Yeah, man, no one else stepped up in the wide receiver room. Seems like one real plausible way that could happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the reason why I let you go first is because I figured this would or are going anyway, and it made me seem like a better person for sure. I agree with you, Tom great point when we look at what oh I say has had in the past, Devin McEwan, Kyle Parker, Brendon Innis, Chris Hemmy junior proc Boy chaquinin Gilford. Like you throw all of the names out, nobody's going to be Carnel Tate. And last year they had Jeremiah Smith and Carnel Tate as the top two guys. The year before, Carnel Tate was the number three guy. And certainly there's no number three here that is going to match necessarily what Carnal Tate did in twenty twenty four fifty two catches, seven hundred and thirty three yards, four touchdowns, but more than that, like he was very, very good. It's just there was no room for three thousand yard receivers. And then you know twenty twenty three, Marvin Rrison junior, ameca Abuca Carnel Tate as a true freshman. Like the levels that they have had, there's always been this second I say, always last six seven years, there's always been this second first rounder, top guy that was there and they don't have that this year, I don't think. And if they do, then that is the biggest surprise. That is the real surprise here. But just I agree the step down is why this is an issue, and not just a step down from the talent they've lost. This cortes Haankton having to prove himself and show that he can build, not just build a room, but like put a room out there that produces. And I do expect him to go deeper, which is good in terms of the depth of how many guys are playing. I don't know if he'll throw the ball deeper, and that's kind of up to Devin McEwan and those guys. But you can see some issues here. You can see some concerns and Devn McEwan being the most proven, but also that's at Utsa and Kyle Parker and Brandan and As being veterans. But I've had trouble getting over ten yards of catch, which is a concern. So yes, I'm with you on this one, Tom, very much so, and I think everybody else is as well. I'll go to the other side of the ball and even though we've talked this position up and I'm going to say cornerback, where I expect Devin Sanchez to be every bit of an all big ten guy, Tremaine Matthews could be as well as an experienced has started games all every year of his career. We're very high on Dominic Kelly, but he's a true sophomore who has never started and has never played substantial minutes. And the only substantial minutes that Devin Sanchez has played it came last year as a true freshman, so you can't really say he's an established guy. Jermaine Matthews had some moments last year that he would love to have back. And so when we start talking about all of this, all of these potential guys and this three three man rotation, yeah, but isn't good enough to win it all? And Jermaine Matthews is very much a part of the twenty twenty four national title team. And you look at those starting corners of Denzel Burke and Davids Ninggunosen. I think Burke was a fourth or fifth round picking. Minosen was a second round pick. So you don't need you don't need Marshall and Lattimore and Denzel Ward basically as your corners to win it all. But still there's there are questions here, and then if your fourth quarter is either a true freshman like Jordan Thomas or Jay Timmons or Cameron Calhoun who is now a senior and has only really played one season of his career. There's been plenty of times where a fourth corner has to play, and then every year a third corner has to play. And so while I think they're gonna be okay, I don't know how deep they are, and I think there's there's enough reason for concern with just the top three guys, let alone going beyond that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is a perfectly legitimate one. And this is a lot like with the wide receivers.
Speaker 3: If they had kept Quincy Porter and Mile and Graham, you'd probably feel a little bit more confident in the other pieces that they have in that room. If they had kept Aaron Scott and Bryce West in the corner room, you'd probably feel a little bit better about where things stand there. I don't think that Aaron West or Bryce Scott is going to nope, reverse that Aaron Scott and Bryce.
Speaker 2: West I do.
Speaker 3: I'm not expecting those guys to be like first team All America and this year or anything like that. But the floor is probably a little bit higher where you've got guys who've been in that room, played for Tim Walton for a couple seasons, and you know, these were not guys who were world beaters at Ohio State, but they were guys who if you had to throw them in there, you were probably gonna be Okay, you lost those guys now, so now you're trying to sort of fill those holders, trying to backfill those whole I think they did a pretty good job in the portal bringing in cam Calhoun and dominant Kelly to sort of backfilled those holes.
Speaker 2: But you haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: You haven't seen it on the field in the fall, and until you do, I think that is a legitimate question. And I think that kind of flows into my question on the defensive side of the ball, which would be the linebackers, where it's kind of a lot of the same stuff where in this case we're talking about you know a lot like Carnel Tait, boy, do you have someone who's going to be a top five pick there? Well, you have two guys who are going to be top ten picks there because that was.
Speaker 2: The standard last year.
Speaker 3: And Sunday Styles and Rvel Reese are both gone, so now what And they've got lots of potential solutions there. I think Peyton Pierce, we have seen the third line backer at Ohio State have a good season and then just sort of do the take two steps forward.
Speaker 2: And now you're the first. You know, now you're the number one linebacker.
Speaker 3: We've seen that enough, and we saw enough out of Peyton Pierce last year that I don't think I've got any real concerns there. And I think you've got potential solutions with Christian Legro And I think you've got potential solutions with Jay Alford and Riley Patty John and and you know, we've done other shows on the linebackers this week where we're talking about like, yeah, man, you got a lot of potential answers there.
Speaker 2: But this is a.
Speaker 3: Little like the line the wide receivers, where the standard for that room was so high last year that it's going to be hard to match that. And even if the guys who they have all get to like a seventy fifth percentile outcome, which is like that's above and that's an above average outcome, You're still not getting exactly what you had last year. So I think this is going to be a spot where if people remember what a typical Ohio State linebacker room looks like, I think this Union unit has a very good chance of living up to that standard. If people are going, well, why don't they just have two top ten picks at linebacker every year? Like that's not that's not a realistic standard. But if that's the standard you're holding this year's linebackers too, then you might be a little disappointed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you say the standard is two top ten picks, I want to be the hold on. That's like Ryan Day saying, are for four goals every year is beat Michigan, win the Big Ten, win a National title, win a super Bowl, Like it's not, it's not how things work. That was a That was one time you won the Super Bowl and that was just because everybody bowed out Like this, you can't expect to have sunny styles and r Valve says your linebackers every year, and and I don't think they do, but certainly you're right, like it can be. It can be Cody Simon and Tommy Eikenberg that or whatever. Like there's there are plenty of good linebacker groups that don't have to be the greatest of all time. So yeah, I think one of the concerns about the entire defense is you could say this for any position group. You can look at it and be like, you know, like like safety, for instance, you're bringing in Terry Moore who didn't play last year. You're bringing in Earl Little who played safety, and you're asking him to play nickel and he did it at Florida State. And this is new. It's a new defense, a lot of moving parts, and you're trying to fit or how do you replace Caleb Downs and you're using all of these different guys to do it. And I think while you look at it and be like, well, sure, an all ACC safety should work and well too also basically two second team all A CEC safety is being brought in with experience and versatility should work out, but there's there are enough questions there to what if it doesn't. And I think you'd say say the same thing about you know, defensive tackle or defensive end. As we've talked about all of these positions throughout these last eight months. Basically or seven months, you could see they've they've attempted to address the issues, and in addressing those issues, you're kind of just creating questions until we see the answers.
Speaker 3: Basically, yeah, you don't have any sure things in any of these position groups that we're talking about. I think we have Tony and I have I think been pretty optimistic based on what we saw in the spring that or a little Terry Moore. These guys are gonna be able to step in and do what you need them to do. But similar to the conversation about the two linebackers, similar to the conversation, but Carnell Tate, Caleb Downs doesn't work here anymore, and that opens up some you know, how do you replace Caleb Downs? You don't you have other guys who are going to play a position similar to what Caleb Downs did last year. You're not going to just be able to do the same stuff you did with Caleb Downs. And the good news on this front is that Matt Patricia knows this. This is not Matt Patricia's first time having to replace a talented player, and so he's going to have some workarounds. So there's going to be there's just gonna be some stuff that they did last year that they might not be able to do exactly the same way this year. But in a lot of these cases, if these guys stay healthy, I'm reasonably be confident that the safeties are going to be good. But you lose a guy or hey, or a little can't play nickel as well as they thought or whatever. I don't have that as a real concern coming out of the spring, but maybe it just doesn't pan out there, and then you get to figure somewhere out someone else to play nickel. And you know, Terry Moore missed all of last season than injury, he gets hurt again, someone else gets hurt again, You got to find another guy to fill that spot. So, yeah, this is this isn't Yeah. I think there's a reason that this is the third thing we're talking about on the defensive side of the ball. But I also think between replacing Caleb Downs and not having totally sure things in place, I think it is a legitimate question.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'll just throw in if Earl Little can't play that nickel spot like they want in terms of coverage, what they're going to do is probably move Jermaine Matthews there yep, which then thins out the cornerback room, which then so all of the there's just you know, you plug one hole and boom, now here's another sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there are potential solutions everywhere, and you don't need to bat a thousand on the potential solutions because you've got a bunch of different stuff where you know, on the offensive line, we didn't We've did an offensive.
Speaker 2: Line show earlier this week.
Speaker 3: And you don't need both Ian Moore and Josh Padia to be perfect ready to go. You just need one of those guys to be able to do it, and then Austin Seervel to be ready to go at the other open spot. They have a lot of potential solutions, a lot of really intriguing solutions. You got a lot of talent on this roster, as they always seem to, but you need the pieces to sort of fit together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And one last thing on the quarter situation or the Nickel situation, I do wonder they have designs having this safety based corner or Nickel in terms of a little they would have to change things a little bit if they were to move to a corner at Nickel or would they want to say, no, let's not sacrifice the scheme. Let's just find the next best safety guy that can be there, which is that Jalen McLean, which we saw him a bunch in the slot and the spring, and then le Roy Roker comes in again, moving parts all the questions that coaches will have to figure out, who are the best guys suited anything else?
Speaker 3: Tom No, I think we've I think we've given people enough to worry about.
Speaker 2: And you know, now this is the fun time to year.
Speaker 3: Everyone's undefeated everyone, you know, you ask fans of every team like what their record's going to be, and you add them up and it's like, that's like a seven to fifty winning percentage. I don't think the whole sport can have a seven to fifty winning percentage.
Speaker 2: But that's all right. This is the this is the time for optimism.
Speaker 3: So don't let Tony and his hating ways and his downbeat, down beat concerns get in the way of your your good mood and your excitement about the upcoming football season.
Speaker 1: Be afraid, be very afraid. That will do it for me. Thumbs up if you're watching on YouTube, if you're listening, five star. Writing in reviews is always appreciated and the absolute best way to support USS. Come over and be a member over at Buckeye Insiders dot com. Would love to see They're got a great group going, got a fun and lively environment of message board folks and talking about Ohio state and talking about other things. And if you're looking for community, I promise you you won't be disappointed. So come over and find us that will do it from here. Thank you all for tuning in and we will talk to you all.
Speaker 4: Lady, let me.
Speaker 3: This time.
Speaker 4: What else you wet it through away? The no one tell me I wish you'd development nothing. M M. If you can tell me that the morning's all right, we can see you.
Speaker 2: I can't leave nine