Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We are seeing what appears to be an Iranian response to the American attack over the weekend. Iran said that it has attacked American forces stationed at Kater's Al Udaid airbase. The announcement was made on Iranian state television as they were playing I Guess the Iranian version of a John Phillips Suza March. It says martial music was being played. A caption on the screen says this quote was a mighty and successful response by the armed forces of Iran to America's aggression. Israel says that they were tracking missiles coming out of Iran, that it's believed that ten of them, ten missiles from Iran were fired at Cotter, maybe at Ledaid airbase there, and that one may have been fired into Iraq. There are a couple couple thousand, i should say Americans that are in Iraq as well. Explosions have been heard in Qatar. Shortly after the Qatari government closed its airspace because of the threat of retaliation and American forces.
Speaker 1: The US moved most of its unhangared aircraft out of the base already even before the airspace was cleared yesterday. So this was an obvious target. It was an obvious threat, and they prepared as best as they could. President Trump, by the way, will be meeting with his national security team, probably, as we speaked, we may hear after this meeting more details about the substantial damage to the nuclear facilities from the strikes. We haven't heard any additional evidence in that situation the International Atomic Energy Agency assessing the damage to your point of where is all the enriched nuclear material?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so despite the claims of a complete obliteration, we just simply we can't know yet the extent of the damage to these nuclear facilities. And it's unclear right now where four hundred kilograms about eight hundred and eighty pounds of uranium is sitting right now. There have been satellite pictures that have been published that showed a couple dozen large trucks outside one of the facilities that could arguably be used to remove and move the enriched uranium, the kind that we're talking about, by the way, the eight hundred and eighty pounds they said is enriched to about sixty percent. For nuclear energy purposes, you only need to enrich it to three to five percent. Sixty percent is still short of what would be required to get a nuclear weapon, but eight hundred and eighty pounds is in finger quotes at least a metric pantload of these of that enriched uranium. So the question is where does it exist. The one positive thing that you can probably hang your hat on is the incredible Israeli intelligence community that exists not just in Israel, but clearly in Iran. One of the reasons why is Israel's original bombing of Iran was so successful was the amount of MASAD members and secret agents that existed in Iran and were able to from within that country disable almost all of Iran's anti air defense missile systems.
Speaker 1: So what remains, Experts say, the last tool that remains standing and will most easily be resurrected Iran's ability to carry out terror plots abroad. Tehran is already signaled that it's prepared to use all available means to respond to the US bombing, the Iran Foreign Minister saying on social media yesterday, Iran reserves all options to defend its sovereignty interest in people. The events this morning are outrageous and will have everlasting consequences. So the FBI and its counterparts in Europe and the Middle East already in motion to put scrutiny on cells and networks they know about, put out feelers for seals and networks they don't know about cells with links to Iran. Several who spoke on the condition of anonymity say that these operations have been rolling and will pick up substantially since the weekend. The FBI, as you can imagine, and as you would want to imagine, has remained very tight lipped about any sort of enforcement going after Iranian cells that exist here. But they do, and that is what everyone should be really, all eyes for, all eyes out for.
Speaker 2: You see the La County Sheriff's department social media posts saw that.
Speaker 1: There was an issue, but I did not click to see what the post was.
Speaker 2: So the original version of this LA Sheriff's Department statement on Twitter said, quote, our hearts go out to the victims and families impacted by the recent bombings in Iran. What Within minutes, the department edited the statement to remove any mention of Iranian victims and families before they ultimately deleted the whole thing and then issued an apology, said that that social media post was offensive and it was inappropriate, and they apologize that it's not the view of Sheriff Luna and it's not the view of the La County Sheriff's Department. So again, it appears, according to Irani and State TV, that they are attacking an American air base in katterr. We know that there have been missiles fired from Iran towards those bases. We don't know if they've been impacted caught her and Iraq, but we'll keep an eye on it see if we get some more information.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Story we're following right now that is breaking. Iran has launched missile attacks. Excuse me, take two. Iran has launched missile attacks on US military basis in Cutter and Iraq. Of course, this is retaliation retaliation that we saw coming from its bombing, from our bombing over three nuclear sites over the weekend. This is in Cutter's capital or people stopped looked up as missiles flew, interceptors fired. Iran announcing on state television that it has attacked American forces, and a caption on the screen called it a mighty and successful response to America's aggression as that martial music played. Listen.
Speaker 2: The truth again is going to be somewhere in the middle, because while they say it was as successful, CNN is reported that the missiles that were fired were all intercepted by missile defense systems. Obviously, whether it's iron dome like systems that we have that would prevent those from coming down.
Speaker 1: That no injuries or deaths are reported.
Speaker 2: US embassy staff in Cotter and Bahrain are considered to be in duck and cover mode as of right now. This is actually not a surprise. The embassy and caught her hours ago was telling people to shelter in place wherever they were, if they were in the embassy or in their residences. The competent Katari authorities announced the temporary suspension of air traffic in the country's airspace in order to ensure the safety of citizens, residents and visitors. And it's important to point out again this was hours before Iran launched any missiles towards them. There is something that is clearly working in terms of the intelligence that we have that obviously share with the Israelis, but that we have about what's going going on in Iran. The embassy said it made that recommendation of shelter in place out of an abundance of caution, and as I mentioned that al Udaid Air Base there in Kotter is home to eight to ten thousand Americans. The UK has an embassy in Kotter as well. They issued a similar warning after the United States did so. This came after the State Department has been issuing warnings to American citizens throughout the world, and its been doing so for more than twenty four hours. Basically, there is a potential for demonstrations against US citizens and interests abroad, and that the State Department advises any US citizen anywhere in the world to exercise increased caution. As a result of all of.
Speaker 1: This, the bases around the United States, of course, have been a focus as well, concerned basically for because troops everywhere talked about how Iran is at a week in place and may turn to terrorism because of that, and how the basis here would be a likely target for that sort of bad acting.
Speaker 2: You know, A lot has been said over the last say week or so since Israel started targeting Iran and before we got involved, that the Supreme leader in Iran was now going to flip the switch on a bunch of sleeper sales around the country, around the world, but also specifically within the United States. And I don't know how apocryphal those sleeper sales actually are. They make great fiction stories, but are there actually waiting in the wings groups of people who are sympathetic to the Iranian Supreme leaders, who would be willing to now put their lives on the line and blow themselves up or other people up in order to further whatever they think they're doing.
Speaker 1: My gut say, yes, there are the people. My gut also says that they lack organizational skills to carry out anything that would be a mass casualty event. I just don't know how we would have sleeper cells that are that well organized and that large and not ready to go without having dismantled them systematically. I don't see the FBI allowing sleeper cells to grow teeth. I just don't I understand the FBI's ability to find them, suss them out, realize they exist. But that's kind of where it ends in terms of them communicating to arm themselves or to orchestrate something.
Speaker 2: I'm and as politicized as leadership at the FBI has become over the last say ten years or so, the men and women that are still doing the actual exactly shoes on the ground, boots on the ground work of the FBI are the ones who are worthy of our praise because of the work that they do. So one of the biggest issues that has been talked about this is before Iran started launching missiles at American basis in the Middle East, was whether or not the Iranian leadership was going to cut off oil shipments through the Strait of horm Moves, tiny little piece of water that basically twenty percent of the daily oil supply in the world goes through that little stretch. And if they were able to close down the Straight of Horror Moves, what that would do to economic markets around the world. Well, they're not the only ones who have a card to play when it comes to oil. President Trump has already said something today about this, and that oil card is something that could be next outside of the military response that we see going on right now. So we'll talk about that and much more when we come back.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon will continue. Iran saying the mischele barrage, missile barrage on Cutter was the same number as bombs used by US on nuclear sites. So that's okay? Are they are they saving missiles?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: What I think they're trying to go tit for tat like, oh, we use the same amount of bond? What get out of here?
Speaker 2: Well again, no reports of any not even damage, but damage or injuries at all from this Iranian missile attack on American base.
Speaker 1: They say that. Iran saying this that the missile missile barrage on Cutter was the same number as bombs used by US on nuclear sites, as a signal for their desire to de escalate. Of course they wanted deep. Of course they want to de escalate. They have nothing. Their pants are being handed to them left and they don't have pants. Their pants were blown off. Their pants are not being handed to them, their pants were taken and another's standing. They're naked in the breeze.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: All ees on the Middle East. As air spaces continue to Domino like shut down, United Arab Emirates has joined Cutter and closing its air space. According to analysis of flight paths and air traffic control audio, Bahrain, Gulf state very close to Cutter. If you want to pull up your map of the Middle East, we'll all do it together. Air raids sirens have sounded there in Bahrain. That's where the US Fifth Fleet is headquartered. So the country's interior ministry there is our citizens and residents to remain calm head of the nearest safe place as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we do know that Iran has launched some missiles at bases in caught Her and apparently in Iraq, and what it says is retaliation for the air strikes on the nuclear facilities over the weekend. The explosions have been heard over the capital of Doha, the Katari capital of Doha, and then video from the area also shows missiles being deployed, anti missile defense systems being deployed and exploding several of the ordinances in the skies over caught Her. The strike comes after caught Her, as you mentioned, had already shut its airspace because of the threat of what we assumed was going to be retaliation targeted at al Udaide airbase there and caught her somewhere between eighty five and ten thousand Americans believed to be at the air base or nearby. The White House has confirmed that this is in fact going on and has been following this situation very closely. Statement from the White House said, the Department of Defense and White House are aware of and closely monitoring potential threats to the Allodade Air Base. President Trump and as we've said before, as meeting with the National Security team in the Situation room right now.
Speaker 1: This is kind of Aron striking back without striking back. It can save face a little bit with this retaliation. But it did give Cutter a heads up. It's the same way they gave, you know, when Iran gave Iraq a heads up back in twenty twenty before firing ballistic missiles onto a base in a Rock when they acted its top general and so a way of striking back but limiting casualties, which is nice. But there was a heads up definitely, I mean it was an obvious target as well.
Speaker 2: Caught her officially has condemned the attack. The Prime Minister of caught Her, Majed al Ansari, said on x that the Iranian missiles are a flagrant violation of the sovereignty of the State of kater its airspace, its international law and the United Nations Charter. The Prime Minister said that Catter reserves the right to respond directly in a manner equivalent with the nature and scale of this brazen aggression, in line with international law. We reassure that Qatar's air defense has successfully thwarted the attack and intercepted the Iranian missiles. So now Cattter is saying, now that Iran has launched missiles at Kotter, can then launch missiles back at Iran. All the while this is playing out, the nuclear strikes, the Israeli campaign against Iran continues. They had several more strikes just in the last several hours and have said that they're now going after the military leadership. On top of the military I should say below the military leadership that they've already taken out in multiple air strikes over the course of the last nine or ten days or so. So the issue of whether or not the Iranian parliament is going to vote to shut down the Strait of Horn moves is something that a lot of people have been watching.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you bring this up because I would like to just point out that oil prices have taken a dive right after the strikes on the air base. They went from let's see, they were at seventy four a barrel went down to now at about sixty nine and change a barrel, I mean, so a huge spike down. Of course, Trump came out demanding that everybody, uh, drill, baby, drill. I think were his words, and I want to put them in all caps. I believe that's how they were delivered in terms of calling for the US and other oil producing countries to put their foot on the gas. That the enemies are watching and so am I so to speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the things that we would have in the event that the Straight of Horror Moves is shut down, twenty percent of the world's daily oil production comes through that Straight of Horror Moves. Obviously, that could jack up oil prices. Iran would benefit from that because they are one of the major oil producers in the in the world, although they have to sell it on the black market. But anybody's price goes up, their price gets to go up. So we in the United States would be able to in the you know, at the president's behest start drilling and fracking more, and that's sort of what he was expecting. Back in seventy seven, before the Iranian Revolution began, the US had net imports of about three billion barrels of petroleum and refined products each year. That per capita number has basically unchanged since since then, from nineteen seventy seven to about two thousand and three. The US was also a significant importer of natural gas in both of those years, but today we have net exports of about two and a half barrels per capita. Also the world's largest seller of liquefied natural gas. And the technology is not new, but the way that it's been improved over the last decade and a half has been transformational, is one word that I saw today. So the potential for this strait of Hormuz issued to be global. Obviously, it could cause immediate problems if they shut down the Straight of Fellows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the world's it all runs through there, right, the world's oil supply. Now. As much as presidents get the applause and get the shillacking when it comes to oil prices rising and falling, they have very little of it influence. Excuse me little influence on oil and gas prices generally. I mean they can sway the oil companies and things like that, but we don't have a state run oil company. It's up to the private companies to determine whether they want to produce oil in the US. So there we are. By the way, gas price has been outstanding, outstanding. Have you noticed do you use gasoline? I filled up today for like four thirty four to thirty five. How ridiculous is it that at four thirty a day bargain?
Speaker 2: I know, but if you were in Waco would be like two dollars and twelve cents.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not in Waco, and look around. It's also beautiful here and not Waco. Ouch. Well, the truth is the truth. Any you want the mountains, you want, the ocean, you want, the beauty you want? Where does Michael Monks talk? You want Carmel? Can't get that in Waco.
Speaker 3: Jeez?
Speaker 2: All right again, we are watching what's going on in the Middle East. Will bring you updates as soon as possible when anything happens.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Kuwait and Iraq now have both closed their airspace in light of the attacks this hour, joining Qatar, United Arab Emirates in Bahrain in doing so. These are the debris now from missiles or interceptors at a fallen and Cutter.
Speaker 2: To your point, the number, the specific number of missiles that were supposedly used against the base in Cutter and also a potential base in Iraq that Iran made reference to the number of bombs that were dropped on those three nuclear facilities, the fourteen mops that now we know, and you reference this also in that last segment that Iran informed caught her about the missile strikes, but also informed the Trump administration that the missiles were coming.
Speaker 1: We're using the same number you did, so let's just call it even. Is that the mentality.
Speaker 2: They said that that Iran signaled its warning to the United States via a couple of diplomatic channels, that it had also informed Doha, the capital of kut Her, that they were going to be launching these missiles. That lends itself to that theory that maybe this is Iran saying, listen, to be honest, we have to drop we have to do some missiles because we still have some people, we still got ninety million people that they got. They got to believe that we're actually fighting back. But we're just listen. We know that none of these missiles are actually going to get through.
Speaker 1: But you call We'll call off the dogs. You call off the dogs, Let's have no more dogs. Let's just let the dust settle and then go back to the negotiating table.
Speaker 2: Well, and that and the response from the Katari government, which I said was the Prime Minister had taken to Twitter, because that's where you know, that's where you play out World War III, said that the Iranian strikes were a flagrant violation of the sovereignty of the State of Qatar, it's airspace, the international aw United Nation's charter. We have the right to respond directly in a manner equivalent with a nature in the scale of this brazen agress. That's a statement that any one of those countries over there would be able to put out because they have to at that point, they're not just going to shrug their shoulders and go nice try. They have to prove or they have to say something publicly for public consumption, not just for Iran, but for the people within their own country that says, hey, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: We got it.
Speaker 2: We will respond in kind somehow do they I don't know, do they actually respond, That's that's going to be the question. But at this point, it is reported Reuters is reporting that Iran did inform the Trump administration about the missile strikes towards the al Udaide airbase in caught her hours ahead of the actual missile launches. We do know, as we mentioned a couple of times, that the security team is right now in the situation room, the Joint Chiefs Chair General Dan Kine and the Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, among many others in that situation room monitoring this retaliation that came in from Iran.
Speaker 1: Iran basically today showing they don't have the stomach to escalate this. That's my takeaway at this point, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Or the ability now or the ability right ability right right right. We know that that Israel has degraded their air defense capabilities that have completely blasted through hundreds of their ballistic missiles. Now they do have a lot, but if they don't have the ability to produce them on a mass scale, they don't have the ability to launch them now on a mass scale, maybe they only had fourteen left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is the way for Ron to save face with its people, whatever face they have left to save, to stop any sort of talkover regime change. Excuse me, why can't I speak today? Everyone's but that's been the next talking point is will there be a regime change? You had the US back Shaw's son who's been in exile for forty years, come out and say things like there should be democratic leadership, and then Iran's like, Eh, let's just pump the brakes on that. Hey, heads up, we're going to be attacking this base that is the stronghold of American forces in the area, just so you know, and we're going to use the same number just so that, like you said, just so that we, you know, look like we're doing something. But but is it showing enough backbone to retaliatory strike like this and that's it to save the regime? Who knows? I don't know enough about Iranian politics or I haven't read enough, and I don't feel like there's been enough published about how the people of Iran feel about this current regime. I mean, I know there have been there's always protests and there's always pushback, and there's always another side of things. But you know, I don't know what the temperature is in Iran for regime change prior to what happened.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing is we can They've knocked out internet for the most part throughout Iran, so even the people within Iran can't judge each other's appetites for some sort of a regime change, revolution or whatever you want to call it. So airspace throughout the Middle East is being shut down. We have, of course told you that caught her shut down. It's airspace. Kuwait has now shut down airspace until further notice.
Speaker 1: It does seem like this is a one and done situation. It'd be nice, but I don't know then what happens.
Speaker 2: President Trump had said he still wants Iran to come to the table and negotiate a way out of this thing, give up their nuclear ambitions, and get out of this thing as peacefully as they can, which I mean, obviously it hasn't been peaceful for ten days. But find a way to get out of this without more loss of life. And do we know about their capabilities? About what the capabilities held.
Speaker 1: In those military bunkers that we bombed how far along they were?
Speaker 2: Not well, and now we don't. I mean, it's a after action report on this thing is going to be messy at least smotherings. Yeah, a lot of dust.
Speaker 1: Where are the smitherings? A lot of dust? Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, we will continue again. This developing story out of out of the Middle East is that Iran has launched a retaliatory attack on an American in caught her. None of the missiles were able to get through, but it appears that Iran actually gave just about everybody involved a heads up before they did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: All of these details and much more still to come on Gary and Shannon. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap