Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Really beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 3: Sri?
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered. Well, in that case, I pronounce you Lucky Clay for free at Lucky Landslots dot com.
Speaker 2: Daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 1: No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions APPLAG see website for details.
Speaker 4: Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even.
Speaker 2: At thirty thousand feet.
Speaker 4: So sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free welcome bonus. That's chumbuck Casino dot com and lived Chumba Lane.
Speaker 5: No we necessary DVOI where everybody lost conditions of eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost.
Speaker 3: Track of time.
Speaker 4: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 2: But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 3: Thanks for free.
Speaker 1: At Lucky Landslots dot com, daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 2: No purchase necessary board.
Speaker 1: We're prohibited by long eighteen plus terms and conditions applying see website for details.
Speaker 4: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you at fist pumper, a woo or a handclap or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, So don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: You'll prettify Edie by Lost Your Regnitions eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski. Good Afternoon, Young girl's pennies started to go missing, Sexual assaults began to occur, and then female bodies were found. Soon this quiet town Tweed, Ontario was in panic. What's even more shocking was when an upstanding residence stood accused of the assaults. This was not just any man, but a pillar of the community, a decorated military pilot who had flown Canadian Forces VIP aircraft for dignitaries such as the Queen of England, Prince Philip, the Governor General, and the Prime Minister of Canada. This is the story of serial killer Russell Williams, the elite pilot of Canada's Air Force one and the innocent victims he murdered. Unlike other serial killers, Williams seemed very unaffected about his crimes and leading two separate lives.
Speaker 3: Alan R. Warren describes a secret life, including the abductions, rape and murders that were unleashed on an unsuspecting community. Included are letters written to the victims by Williams and descriptions of the assaults and rapes as seen on videos and photos taken by Williams during the attacks. The book that we're featuring this afternoon is Above Suspicion, The True Story of serial killer Russell Williams, with my special guest, journalist and author and podcaster Alan R. Warren. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview. Alan R. Warren.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks very much, Dan, it's always good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you very much. Congratulations on your first book. And you picked a heck of a subject, a colonel or former colonel Russell Williams. Now tell us just a little bit briefly without giving anything really away, but what brought you to this story? Why did you choose Russell Williams and this story to write above suspicion.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that it was ignored a lot, and it was kind of overshadowed because of Paul Bernardo and that whole thing that was going on. And I think there was a lot of things about this case that never came out and people didn't get the story, and I just I thought that there wasn't enough done about it, and I think we needed to know more because this was a very important man who had a very important job in our country and he was getting away with unbelievable crimes.
Speaker 3: Now take us back, as you do. You have information about Russell Williams and the breakup of his parents and also him studying economics in school. So take us back before all the military, even before he got the bug to tell us a little bit about Russell Williams growing up, going to school. Tell us a little bit out what as you write in the book.
Speaker 5: Well, Russell was born in England in Bromsgrove and in nineteen sixty three, and he had a little brother that was born two years behind him. And when he was about six his parents moved from England to Chalk River and that was because his dad had a PhD and metallurgy, and so he was able to get a job at Canada's premier nuclear facility by Chalk River, and that facility was doing things like the US Manhattan Project and very big involved in the war. So he took that job, moved the family over, and they moved to Chalk River. And you know, that was about nineteen sixty nine, and his mother was pretty much a stay at home mother, but she wanted to do more, and so what she did was she started her own business and it was working with children and children with difficulties, and this was kind of unheard of, and what it did was, at first it created a little rift in the community because in the sixties, what good wife would go start a business and ignore her family or not take care of her husband and kids. That was kind of the tone back then, and so in mainstream community she wasn't real popular. Now. At the same time this happened, the nuclear plant happened to take on a Czechoslovakian man, Jerry Sooka, and so him and his wife moved to the same Chalk River to do the same type of job because they were both immigrants, and probably because Russell William's mother was feeling isolated in the community, they tended to lock onto each other and become good friends. And this was a they did everything together. And this is where there's a little bit of talk about the family, you know, because there was a swinger sort of club going on in kind of an underground part of the city, the town, and that they were said to be part of that, and so that was, you know what, we don't know how much truth is in that. That's why I said there was a rumor. We don't know. But they spent a lot of time together and did everything together, and the boys grew up pretty normal. Russell, for instance, he played the piano, he belonged to the school band, he delivered newspapers, always did things right, his grades were quite good. It was quiet, very very respectful. People said he had great manners as a kid, behaved quite well. Uh, never got himself into trouble. You know. It was kind of an all in all, pretty pretty good family scenario at that point. But where it changed was probably within a year of them being there. For for some reason, his mother, Russell Williams's mother took Russell and his brother and moved out of the house, and the story around town was that his father was having an affair with missus Sofka, the Czech couple that came over as well. So she filed for divorce, and within four months the father and missus Sofka were together. And because again there was so much negative talk about that kind that was a scandal in the sixties, and so they moved to New York. They up and left, and the mother ended up getting together with mister Soka and in fact marrying them, so they swapped partners. Yeah, And because of the again more talk, and because nobody would take their kids to her business, she up and moved to Toronto. So that's kind of the early days in Canada when they were small and what happened with the parents, and it's so it's left. You know, his father with the new wife has moved to New York pretty much dropped out of sight, and Russell and his brother or living with the mother with a new new father stepfather in Toronto.
Speaker 3: Now now you talk about the basic normalcy of everything except for this. Again, how traumatic it was and what effect it had on Russell's unknown, we don't really know. But it didn't affect him enough to affect negatively his education. So you do talk about what he does and what he studies, and then how he becomes interested in the military and where he is at that time to be interested in this military. Tell us a little bit more about that. And his best friend Foker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jeff the Core, He was his best friend from school and has he suggested they used to lay on the field because when they lived in Chalk River as kids. First of all, they're really close to Camp Petawalah, and all the military jets and planes and everything would fly over all the time, and they used to lay on the mounds on the different buildings and mountains and different areas and watch all these flights and pretend to fly. And they were just really into it as kids. But when they got into the school school and even into college, none of them went for that sort of thing. They all headed into the In fact, Russell went into economics and did four years. His brother became a phg d. He's a family doctor. So they didn't really take it serious, but they were really involved in it excited them. And just when he graduated from the university, and not even before they're out of the dorm, he shared the same dorm room with Jeff. His friend, and he came in and said he's going to join the Air Force. And Jeff was like, what's that all about? Right, this is crazy, And in Jeff's words, he said that he thought because at that time, we're in the eighties and Top Gun was a big movie and that whole thing was going on with Tom Cruise, and he thought that he was just you know, catching the wave, as you'd say, and kind of getting into it. It's the trend. He's excited. He wants to be that pilot, you know, that sort of thing. And he didn't take him seriously. So it was a surprise, one of the first of many that was going to happen. And so he went that direction and Jeff said, well, you know, he's my best friend and I'm there for you. Man. It was these kind of words and if that's what you want to do, do it, But in his heart he thought it was last year.
Speaker 3: Now you talk about also his opinion and his observations in terms of Russell Williams terms of a romantic person, a dating person, sexually attracted to women and dating tell us about what the real situation was in his opinion, and what his surprise was with an announcement from Russell.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, so it continued, you know, And they were in dorm for the whole four years together, so they shared a room and and in fact, Russell had only one girlfriend excuse me, through high school and early college, and she had played in the band as well, and she was very nice, quiet, and they got along, seemed very well, and then they just suddenly broke up. It was over. He never dated anybody else and never went on parties. In fact, he was the one that run the house. They had six roommates. He was the one that gave everybody schedules. This is this is who cooks today, this is who gets the groceries. Here's zoo cleans. He was very organized. He refolded his clothes all the time, and even when they had little parties in the dorm room, he would just sit in the back and fold his clothes and refold them over and over all night long. So he was just very quiet, and they figured he was a little more shy. So nothing, and all of a sudden, so he you know, they graduate, he gets into the Air Force, and this is the late eighties, and all of a sudden he comes up to Jeff and says I'm getting married. I want you to be my best man. And Jeff was like, what, who? I haven't even met anybody like who you? And he introduced him to Mary Elizabeth Harriman, who he ended up marrying that July. So it took them from February to July to be made and it came out of the blue. And that was again another one of those surprises that took him off God, and he couldn't figure it out where this person came from. He liked Barry. She seemed very polite, very nice, She was a smart girl, she was going for her degree and pretty pretty like. He had nothing bad to say about her, and they seemed to get along quite well. But it was just where did this come from? It was like the Air Force thing, Where did that come from? And so that was two big shocks on him. And I'm not sure. Jeff seems to be pretty easy going and when you talk to him, he seems to be pretty oh, okay, I can take that type person. So he's not offended by it, but just really surprised that this is the same guy that he lived with for six years and they did everything together type thing. Where did you meet her?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: How did this happen?
Speaker 3: M hm, you say that you married?
Speaker 5: Go ahead, sorry, yeah no, And I was just gonna say, because we can step back a little and when they're in the economics class. Both Russell Williams and Paul Bernardo were in the same classes together, same economics programs, same everything.
Speaker 4: And of course hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we, just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your bright new day, lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Necessarily, media lost the arm conditions.
Speaker 5: Eating Plus Claims magazine as well as The Star and a few others had published later that they were friends. Now Jeff just denies that completely because he said that at most they would have maybe been to the same frat party or you know, the same sort of hangout or the pubbet at the at the college. But they were not friends, and they probably didn't know each other, because he said he would have known because they did everything together. And I take that as as truth. I think he's telling me the truth. But the other side to that is, if he didn't know about this woman that all of a sudden became his wife, and he didn't know about the Air Force that all of a sudden became his career, maybe he had at that time some secrets that he was running a secondary life somehow that he could make it on you know, not unseeable to Jeff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you talk about too, to make sure no one, everyone understands that this was not a pushover this woman and she was no dummy. She was the associate director of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. Here she's five years older than him, and they moved to a suburb of Ottawa, which is a capital of Canada's you write, called Orleans, Ontario. And he is posted at that time as Director of Air Requirements at the National Defense Headquarters. And you go on, tell us some of the really important things you talk about in nineteen ninety four, tell us some of the stuff that he is involved with militarily and the status that.
Speaker 5: He achieves excuse me, well, probably the biggest thing and the biggest boost for him in his career and his whole persona of getting the parents that he ended up getting was probably him going to uh you know, United Arab Emirates and he was in the secret camp, the secret base, and he was made commander of that and that that that was a secret battle with Afghanistan. And so he was there for six months and when he came back was really when he was placed almost immediately in charge of Trenton. So that was probably the biggest boost for him. And the other thing is he was going for his masters in defense, and if you look at his master's deposition, his whole his whole thesis about going in and attacking first in Afghanistan and taking taking over. He was he was a warhawk, and he was very aggressive in his thinking toward battle, reorganized in that way. And so he really rose to the top almost immediately because they what he had did in the Secret base as well as his thesis made him look like he could be a war general down in the US easily, and they thought he would work really well with the Americans. So he was the right person and at the same time he was able to sell himself publicly, so he showed up at all the different events, the charities would shake hands. He had a really good presence on TV. Tall, good looking, always pristine, dressed well, well behaved, you know, perfect manners. He was the perfect candidate to go where he became the head of the largest air force base in Canada.
Speaker 3: Right now, you talk about the reason why, the main reason why Russell and his wife bought a cottage in Tweed, Ontario, which again is just a little community. And this is because he was at the Trenton Air Force Base five days a week. It's made for a big commute or a long commute, so he won the short neck commute. But then you talk about a series of unusual break and enters that occur in Tweed. So tell us about this purchase of the cottage and how are Russell and his wife getting along?
Speaker 5: By all reports, well, according to the neighbors in Orleans outside of Ottawa, where they lived, they all said they were great. They were a perfect couple or a power couple. In fact, the comments were like she would come home from one of her trips because she did travel a lot with the Heart and Stroke Foundation. She would come home, he would run out the door, carry her suitcases and in for her, hold the doors open. Always always a gentleman. And when they'd go over to the neighbors for coffee, he would always get up and get get get her coffee, or get her drink for her, refill it, carry it for hold the chairs, take her jacket. He was extremely well mannered, and the neighbors thought, what a nice, nice guy he was, because he was quiet, he was polite, and he was so good to his wife, and yet and a good, good military man. And she talked more than they did as couples, so most of the neighbors tended to get more information from her and more about them as a couple from her. And but again they loved her too. She was a caring person. She wanted to be a you know, a great help in the health community. And she rose quite quickly up to being one of the executives of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. So they were like, consider it the perfect couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we talked about those a series of unusual breaking enners and tell us why they're unusual. And this is in the fall of two thousand and seven, and you can introduce a very interesting character, very important to the story, Larry Jones. So tell us what happens in these break and entners. Who notices and who doesn't notice? In the fall of two thousand and seven.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, there was we're kind of blurry on exactly how many happened. And I'll explain this. There would be people that would come home, for instance, and not notice break in the house looked totally fine. They've they've been away for a weekend, or they've done something and they come home, everything says, is no breaking, nothing missing. Everything seemed normal. And when people would find something missing, it tended to be something like some underwear or a bathing suit or you know, minor things. And at first people looked at it like they misplaced it, they lost it, something happened to it, and they didn't call the cops, right, So there was quite a few of those, And how we found out was later, once all of the terror of the break ins hit, everybody started thinking back, oh, remember I lost this when I lost that, So we're sort of lost it where it started and how much it was. But what we do know is how he would specifically scope out places and break and enter and and nobody would notice. He would he would do it with precision and take undergarments and sneak back out. And you know, the first actually the first ones that we knew know about, would be his, the Murdochs, the neighbors, and Tweed the one neighbors and he, uh, he went in and he took all the little the twelve year old girl's underwear drawer, completely emptied it. And in fact, when they got back the second time from a trip, the daughter came down and said, you know, I know, my underwear draw's empty. And of course the parents and both of them when you talked to him and said, well, you know, she's never been the neatest and the first thing you say is that you check the laundry basket or maybe the floor, you know, you know, because that's how she was. But when the mother realized that there wasn't one pair of her underwear left was the first time that she brought it up. So she called the police, and then the police came and see and this is where it kind of broke because when she found out about this, she went to the town meeting and told everybody because the police had been keeping it secret, so it hadn't been out in the media. People weren't realizing this was going on, and she brought it up at the town meeting, and of course other people jumped on and people started reporting. The police. Now when we talk to them, said that only about fifteen percent of those break ins were reported, right, that's the rest of So he was doing it very very well. And not to mention, a lot of the neighbors trusted him. He is a colonel. He's upstanding man, a very nice, polite man. And they would go away. They would tell him, you know, the Murdochs all the other neighbors would say, oh, yeah, we're going away this week. We're going somewhere for two days. Keep an eye in the house. Sure, I never thought second about it. Why wouldn't you. So that's how that That's how it went. Now. The other thing is too we looked at at that time and we were thinking Tweed is where he started. But actually in Orleans, the same sort of thing had been going on a few years before after they had moved to Orleans, but the police did not tie the two together. And you know, I'm not exactly sure why, maybe just the distance and the type of policing and how involved they were with each other's communities. But up in Ottawa, their break ins were not tied in with tweeds break ins.
Speaker 3: Right, Let's move on to the after the trip to Alaska, his first attack. So you tell talk and describe his first attack while the next day at a thirty in the mornings at a meeting with the Criminal Intelligence Service of Ontario. Incredibly, so tell us.
Speaker 5: About his first attack. Yeah, he well, you know, as soon as he got back from Alaska, which was another high pressured sort of how don't what you call it? A project that he was involved with. And it seems to go all the way through as you go through his history, as he got higher rank and more and more pressure and more responsibility, the attacks and the things he did became much more violent and much more aggressive. And this was one of them. This is really kind of the stepping stone was after Alaska, within you know, a couple of hours from his trip, he had already attacked this girl and tied her up, blindfold her and assaulted her. And now so this was kind of a step older from what he was doing before. Now he still would take a lot of her undergarments, and he had a strange way about this too. He would have them tied up in a chair and blindfold it, and he would take all their clothing and he would try all of the different clothing on himself as well as the girl and take pictures. So it's not like he was just having sex with them or assaulting them or doing something like that. He would actually be doing It's almost like a photo shoot, spread or catalog it. He would put them all in order. He would take diferent outfits and put them together and take pictures and film wearing it. And he seemed to have this obsession which was kind of unusual, you know, because you could see him taking undergarments and different girls clothing, you know, maybe as a trophy or as different reasons, but actually be taking them and trying them on. And then he wanted to do it in front of them. And because he would have them blindfold it, he would make them touch him wearing it, so he'd be wearing their panties and bra and make them with a hand feel his body wearing their clothes.
Speaker 3: And he does take his time and he takes a lot of photos. We're talking a lot of photos.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And in fact, we had over seven thousand hours of videos and I can't tell you how many gigabytes of pictures that were saved on the computer, tons and tons. What he would do is set up the tripod. Once he's got the girl tied up, secured and he feels comfortable, then he would always set up the tripod and the camcorder, and then he would take his own clothes off. And he always had a ski mask, a black mask. He would take that off so on camera when he was filming, you could see him. There was no hidden he wasn't hiding himself from the camera. Then he would have steel cameras, two of them, and he would throw them on the chair or the bed wherever they were tied up, and he would be filming the whole process. But anything that super excited him, he would stop, pick up the camera and start taking pictures. And it seemed to be the things that really excited him were certain angles that the clothing was at. So he would lay under let's say, the right breast and take like eighty pictures, you know, just a certain angle, or whenever he got blood. So there was times when he assaulted or he was hitting them and blood would come out, or they would fall to the ground. He would stop and take a big ball of pictures. He was obsessed with getting still shots of the pain.
Speaker 2: Judy was boring. Hello, Then Judy discovered chumpa Casino dot Com.
Speaker 5: It's my little escape.
Speaker 2: Now Judy's the life of the party. Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon. WHOA, Take it easy, Judy. The jump of life is for everybody.
Speaker 1: So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chump a Casino dot Com.
Speaker 5: Launch.
Speaker 3: Needless to say, his behavior escalates. We will talk about it as you do what they've discovered later because and we'll say why they discover all of this information that's in this incredible book. Let's talk about the murder of Corporal Marie France come o, and and let's talk about how he met her, how they wound up working together in two thousand and nine, and then tell us a little bit about his method of operation and how he makes sure that well, some of the will say the work that he does beforehand to pick and select his victims.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that, okay. So he started becoming the I don't know how you call it, like the he was. He was the one that would fly dignitaries and important people over by two thousand and nine, so he was flying the king, you know, the queen, ministers, anybody of importance in the royal family or in the political field. He was the man to do it. He's taking you everywhere. Now. Corporal Camu was an assistant in one of his flights, and she got her reputation by doing big world flights as well. She had flown all over all over the world and taking more foreign dignitaries in her career, people from you know, Egypt and India and Australia and things like that. And she had actually done one of these trips with him that went all through Canada. So they had one big project they did together. So that's how they met. And she was corporal in the same Trenton Air Force Base that he ended up being the wing commander. So they knew each other from working together on one main thing and that's about it as far as information you get. So that's how that happened. Now for him, why he chose her. I can't really say. Later in the interviews he just said that he didn't care about any of them. There was no specific reason why he chose the people he did, so you know, we're leaving that. But what he did do is he would find out where the person lived. So he found out where the corporal lived, and he would wait so he would make a setup. So if it was close enough, he would plan his day by jogging around and he would jog and look and try to get all of the different schedule that she would have and try to see who was there, who was coming in, who was that coming out, and kind of what kind of lifestyle she was. And then when he found out when she would be gone, he would sneak in, break into her basement somewhere, and he would go through the house. So he would go up into the bathrooms and into the bedrooms, the drawers, and this time he was looking for anything to do with the man. He wanted to make sure there was no male visitors, like she wasn't having men that were staying overnight, or there wasn't a boyfriend living there or a brother or anybody else. So she looked, so he looked everywhere for anything that would show if there was a male involved, and of course with Marie Kimo, the corporal, there was none. She was dating a man, but they were not living together, so that's how he would do it. And so eventually he waited for the time, and when the time was right, he knew that she was going to be alone. So he gets to her place about two hours earlier, breaks in the basement and waits, and in that particular case, he waited and a couple hours later she came home. She was on the phone for a little while talking to her boyfriend, planning different things, and then she was going to bed, so she hung up. But she in that particular case, she was looking for her cat, and she went down the stairs to find the cat, and she spotted him, spotted his eyes. He had a mask on, but she saw his eyes, and that's when the struggle began, and he actually took control of her, beat her enough times, and he hung her on a hook in the basement from her on her back, and he tied her up and blindfolded her. And then while she was there, he went upstairs and he did he hung comforters over the bedroom window so nobody could see. He also would take her keys and break them in the locks of the doors all around the house in case somebody else come here, so he would get notice. You know, he was very well planned. This was all thought out quite well. He was thinking about all the things he could and couldn't get away with and setting up different things. And then he went with her. He went back downstairs and untied her and unhooked her and was taking her up the stairs, and then she jumped on him and started a big fight. And that's when he hit her on the head a few times with the flashlight and then smashed her head right into the wall. There's huge dent, and she passed out, fell on the floor and tons of blood coming out. And that's when he would stop. You see, we would know because he would stop and take eighty pictures of the blood slowly as it's running across cement floor, and he wanted to almost catalog it, get detailed pictures of every movement that blood made. Yes, it was just incredible. And as it continued, he took her upstairs, tied her to the bed and blindfolded her and raped her, attacked her several times and beat her several times. And again he set up the tripod, filmed the whole thing, and he just would do this for hours and hours, and even after he killed her. Yeah, you're right, he had to go meet with the intelligence that morning, so I think it was five point thirty when he was finished, and by eight thirty he was in meeting with the intelligence, and the intelligence agents picked up nothing. They had no idea. He wasn't upset, he wasn't nervous, he wasn't anxious, he wasn't unhappy. He was he was normal Russell. He was perfect chipper, top of the day, right on top of everything, just as he always was. So they didn't they did not have a clue that that's what he was up to, just as shortly as three hours ago.
Speaker 3: You include that he later you find out that she says, I don't want to die, and he says, you're not going to die, but he covers her mouth and her nose.
Speaker 5: With tape, right, and she dies of suffocation.
Speaker 3: Now you say, what he does. He has the wherewithal because he is organized. He takes all of the sheets and the comforters, throws them in the wash, throws some bleach in there. But what he does leave behind is a shoe print.
Speaker 5: Tell us a little, just just tell us about that, well, you know, And and he did this before too. He would leave blood and even with the fight downstairs, he just he roughly wiped it up, not anything great. His his shoeprint running up through the blood and running up and down the stairs, and he didn't do a good job of trying to clean it. And even the two assaults before this where he didn't kill them, where he just raped them and sexually assaulted, he did the same thing. He left Prince, He left blood. He left all sorts of things as if he I'm not sure why, because how you could be so so calculated and so planned and so protected in what you were doing, and yet you would leave, you know, you'd walk through the blood and walk up and down the stairs and you'd just wipe things down and throw it in the wash and kind of leave. And it almost it almost almost almost two people, you know, doing the same event, Like the first guy was planned and calculate it one the second one was somebody different. And that is eventually how he got caught.
Speaker 3: Now the next day, as you write November twenty fifth, Como's boyfriend was very worried, and so she hadn't shown up for work. He went over and let himself in, and as you write, the horror of this is the neighbor watches him go in and then burst out of the house minutes later. Tell us about as you write, what does he do, how does he behave? What does he say to the neighbor before.
Speaker 5: Tell us, Well, the neighbor actually just had a plumber over. The plumber was there and they were talking outside and Commoe's boyfriend pulls up and he was more worried because she didn't show up for work one but not only that, she had just got back from one of those big flights where she had flown all over with dignitaries, and she was on the phone the night before to him, planning a lunch date to talk about the people she had met and things that happened on the flight, and so there was no answer in the phone, and so he was worried about that, and it was lunch, so he almost lunched. So he had it to the place and actually had her keys from her mother had given him the keys, and he went inside and found her dead and came running out screaming, and that she's dead. She's dead. Anybody know what happened? Anybody see anybody strange was his cars, and of course the neighbor and the plumber came over and everybody was in shock. You know, this is you know, a quiet, little sleepy rural community that nothing like this has ever happened. And so of course all the talk came, and then soon the police came. He was pretty devastated, way way beyond what you would normally expect. But the police cleared him pretty quick when they came down and started doing the search and talking to all the neighbors and canvassing the area, and they took him in requesting and stuff, and he was cleared pretty quick.
Speaker 3: The incredible part of this story again even more horrifying in retrospect, I guess for everybody reads this book too that was involved with this is that she was buried December fourth, two thousand and nine, at the National Military Cemetery in Ottawa, and as a commander, Williams was tasked with writing the official letter of condolence and condolence to her father. Tell Us, if that's not enough, tell us about what else he was tasked to do or what he did do at this funeral.
Speaker 5: Well, not only did he write the letter, but he actually spoke, he addressed I mean, there's there's We have the pictures of him giving her a really good reading, you know, at the funeral, with her picture standing right beside him, and he's up at the head of the crowd of the Air Force and parents and everything else, and talking about what a great member she was and great person. And he give her an incredible eulogy and also helped carry her her coffin. So it's just unbelievable that he could do that and fit the part. There was nothing unusual about the way he behaved, and if you look at that and look at those scenes back then, he was totally acting as he should have.
Speaker 3: Certainly, Now you talk about the murder of Jessica Lloyd, she's a twenty seven year old beauty. She lives alone. Tell us about her and her life and how she comes. What are the circumstances in which this predator comes to know of her, as you write in the.
Speaker 5: Book, Well, what was suggested was that on one of his men he runs through the area that he spotted her, spotted her working out in her She had a treadmill and because it's kind of country setting. You know, you have a lot a lot of people that live in those areas. They don't have curtains that isn't all done up. So you could see her just running on her treadmill right in the window, you know, right in the living room window, and nobody would notice, nobody would care, I guess. And so he started running by, and for some reason, something about her caught her eye, caught his eye, and he made it a pretty regular thing, and he got to know her time frame or patterns, and so he decided he'd check it out, just as he did before. So she's gone out, he drives up and with her particular lot. She lived in a house, and there was an empty lot beside her house, so it was an unsold empty lot. And so what he did was he pulled his pathfinder into that lot and waited to make sure she was gone, and then he walked across that lot and broke into her basement sliding doors. And what he did was he checked out the house again. So he goes up through all the rooms, the bathroom, bathrooms, drawers. He's looking for any sign of a man or anybody else that lived there. And he found no signs of any any males at all, nothing, and he had never seen any you know, in all of his surveillance. So he uh so he comes back out down to the to the truck and leaves. And that was this kind of as you know, his way of doing it. So then he must have planned it. And that same day, a week later, he comes back exact same scenari, but this time he's gonna wait for her. Now. The difference is when he pulled into the lot and he's waiting, a car drives up to the front of Jessica Lloyd's house and they leave their lights on. They get out, walk up to the front door, ring the doorbell. Wait, nothing happens, so they get back in the car and they leave. Okay, So then about maybe twenty minutes later, Jessica Lloyd comes up, parks, gets out, goes into her house and goes upstairs, and he waits until it's all pretty much dark, and he figures she's gone to bed. Then he makes this move, comes across down through the sliding doors in the basement, up comes into the bedroom and attacks her. He thought she was asleep. Actually I described that. How you know, he was so good at breaking in and not leaving any noticeable brakes, you know, on the doors or the handles, and he would even sneak up to the room and a lot of times he could set up his tripod and his camera and then attack the woman and they hadn't even noticed, So he was very, very precise. But she opened her eyes when he was in the midst of attacking her, and so he beat her quite severely, and he tied her up and continued to do the same sort of thing, took off his clothes and he raped her several times. Now this was a step up as well, because then he started doing things that were a little bit more aggressive. He like he tied the metal strips around her neck and would twist them so that she would choke, and then he would force her to do things and if he did, if she didn't, he would he would kill her choke her. So he started being even more aggressive with this one than he was with the one before. So he was upping his game, as you would say, he was getting more violent and caring less for the for the victim. And this went on for hours and then there was a bang, a noise somewhere. It startled him threw on his clothes, and he wanted to know if she had anybody else coming over. She said no, And so he picked out clothes, put it on her and shoes and dragged her out, threw across the field into his truck, and he drove her home. And then he took her into his house and he took her upstairs and made her shower, raped her again, tied her up and beat her and raped her again. And then she also tried tried getting away by pretending she was having convulsions, and he believed it for a while, but not anything, for she never got away. And then and all the way through it, of course, she was doing the same thing. I don't want to die. You're not going to kill me. Please tell my MoMA I love her, and through all this, and you're not going to die, he would say, and all this, and then of course he takes her down to the car and he kills her with the flashlight. And he took over seventy pictures of her dead on the basement on the in the garage. That's where it was. He stopped and took all those pictures, and and that's sort of this is sort of where not only it causes him to get caught. But he also when you talked about Larry Jones earlier, this is kind of the key part here because his neighbor in Tweed, the other one, Larry Jones, was a retired grandfather and lived alone or actually had a wife. Yeah, I'm sorry. And what happened was after this killing happened, he went over to Larry Jones the next day, who would go hunting all the time, and he said, Larry, what do you hunt? And he said, well, partridge hunt partridge. You know that, don't you. Oh no, I didn't. I didn't know. Where do you go? Where do you set up your camp? And of course Larry told him why I go up, just describe where the camp was and said that's where we set it up all the time and it's great for hunting, and oh great, Well, you know, have a good day. And Larry Jones at the time even said that it seemed kind of weird that they've been living for years together and seem out of the blue. When he got back from that hunting trip, he had found that someone broke into his shop. Larry Jones did, and when he went into the shop, he was worried about all this equipment and stuff being stole. Nothing, Nothing was stolen. And later he found out that he had an old, dirty jacket that his dog would sleep on while he worked in the shop, and he had a pair of gloves that he would use that were pretty old and rady and had cut stains and blood on it. They were both gone, and what he had done was Russell Williams had gone in and taken those items and wrapped them in the body of Jessica Lloyd, and then he dumped the body of Jessica Lloyd up at the camp where Larry Jones was doing his hunting. And it became a little bit even more intense because there's this story too that Larry Larry Jones's son, who was working at a sears and was friends with Jessica Lloyd, the girl that was killed, got a call from Jessica, you know, something about what her water pump or something was broken in her house and needed help. So the son calls up, you know, Larry Jones, because he's a neighbor, and said, can you go over and look at her. So, of course Larry Jones goes over there and tries to fix her heater pump, and or whatever she had in there and put his prints all over the place. He fixed it for, didn't charge her and left. So now you have. Now you have Larry Jones prints all over Jessica Lloyd's house. You have parts of his clothing wrapped in Jessica Lloyd's body and is dumped where he goes hunting. Yeah, you could, you know, you couldn't ask for a better setup. And of course the police questioned them, arrested them, rate at the house, and of course when that news came out, nobody in the community would talk to the Jones. He was evil, bad, he did it. He's awful, and that's kind of where the community was at at the point. So yeah, so he he didn't just kill he was setting someone else up to take the fall for it.
Speaker 3: You talk about a few hours later, just to show the psychopathic tendencies and their capabilities, he piloted a troop again, the high profile flight to California. This is a few hours later after all of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, actually he was able to do that, just as he did before when he went and met the intelligence three hours after beating and raping same thing. He could just get it together and go do a high pressure job and do it precisely, do it well, and nobody noticed. Everybody thought he was the best. And everybody you talk to, they had no idea. There was no giveaway. He didn't even come in saying, oh I'm tired or I don't feel well, or complaining. He was come in like the total professional. You'd have no idea that he had a body, you see, And when he did that one, he still had her body in his basement, you know, Jessica Lloyd was still wrapped and done because he didn't have enough time, so he just kept her on ice, so to speak, while he went to work and can do like I said, a really high pressure and do it very well. It did not affect him. But I will say in talking to a lot of analysis and psycho and psychologists throughout this, it seemed to me that in order for him to be calm, he had to do this.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: My first impression was that he had maybe an anger toward his mother or a woman figure, and he was taking it out. He would beat them and demean them, you know, he wanted to make them feel bad about themselves. In the way that he was doing this, It wasn't like a sexual pleasure thing. And some of the psychiatrists said, well, what it was was when he was under pressure for let's say, his job, he felt out of control. In order to feel into control again, he had to go back to the time when he was a kid to achieve that. And that was that was back in the day where his mom and dad were together, and you know, it was considerate that his father used to slap his mother around a lot and was quite rough with her. So he was trying to find that calm spot and so what would calm him down and bring him back to normal was committing this act. And that's why they were elevated, and they lasted longer, and they were more aggressive each time because the pressure seemed to be getting higher with his job.
Speaker 3: Now you talk about fellow employees. On January twenty fourth, realized that Jessica Lloyd hasn't shown up for work and they notify her family and her brother Andy Lloyd, who lives in Bellevue nearby, and her mother, Roxanne McGarvey were alarmed, so they rushed to the house. What do they find at that house and what is the what does he leave behind? Which is important before we talk about the response from Belleville police.
Speaker 5: Well, the big of course, what they do is they find a you know, it's a crime scene. And he again did not leave. You know, there was blood in places, there was everything was ripped up, clothing again was gone tracks. They left in a hurry. Remember he thought he was someone was there. He was startled, so he threw shoes on and left. And what he did was he dragged her across that field to where he had his pathfinder part. And so both her prints and his shoe prints were all across because it was in that winter ish but melty winter season, so there was some little bit of snow, but there was definitely a lot of mud, and so they tracked those prints right across from her back basement sliding door, right to the to the truck. And then plus when he came in, he didn't take his shoes off, so his prints were all all around there as well. There was a blood in quite a few places, and it was just a really sloppy cleanup, and they knew right away something had happened.
Speaker 3: Police response, What did they do? What do they Again, he didn't leave too much evidence behind, but what do they do when this crime is reported? And what is the break they get in terms of witnesses and what do they what they are, what are they witness to.
Speaker 5: Well, they did the same same scenario, close off the scene, start canvassing the neighbors, friends, the family, and people they work with. You know, they did this the same standard. But they had one other thing that happened. If you remember I was saying earlier how a car pulled up, rung the doorbell, and then left. That happened to be a policewoman for the police department, and what it was was she had seen the Pathfinder, Russell Williams and the Pathfinder in the vacant lot in the dark, so she thought she would check on the door, you know, check on the house. So she went rung the doorbell to see if there's anybody home, see if they knew anything about that, see if things were okay. But she didn't go any further. She just turned around and left. So she described that to the police, and so they knew they were looking for that. So they went out to the field and they started taking tracks of the Pathfinder as well as the foot tracks, and so they decided to set up a roadlock and just start checking for people driving by the area with the same type of vehicle or tire, and quite a few were going through. And of course, you know, this was the luck of I guess William's turning, because normally he'd take his BMW to work him back and just used the pathfinder for you know, side things, nothing major, and this happened to be the same night he decided to take his pathfinder to work. So on the way back, he got stopped on the roadblock and they noticed his tires matched and it was the same type of vehicle. So they put him on a list and they let him go by and he went home. But that list, they started putting people on surveillance that were on the list, and that was kind of the break. That's how he first got spotted, and that was the thing that stuck out. And it wasn't long later that Detective Smith decided to call him in for an interview and he did it on I believe it was the Football Championship Sunday, the Great Cup Sunday. Told him to come on in and that's when the interview started.
Speaker 3: Interesting point and important point is that he didn't ask for legal counsel. And you speculate why that.
Speaker 5: Would be well, you know, I can speculate only because if you watched the whole interview. I mean, he was in there ten hours. But when he walked into the room, he was chewing gum and he was real. He was just real smug. And I don't mean that to say that, you know, anything bad. He just had a real chip on his block. He walked in like he was the king. You know. He throws his jacket on the table and the chewing gum sits down, crosses his arms, you know, the whole body language. It's like real kind of yeah, what do you want? You know, And and anytime at the beginning the detective would ask him a question and he'd go check, yeah, like he was being real kind of a why ass. And even when the detective said to him, well, have you ever had your rights read to you before? And he's like, no, have you ever been interviewed before? And then of course he plays the old Well, I've had interviews much tougher than this, you know, in order to become top security, I've had some pretty big interviews. Like so, he was a real smug, real kind of you know, he was trying to talk down to the cop in that way. That's how I took it.
Speaker 3: And you know, but.
Speaker 5: It didn't last long. Within two hours he was ready to give it up.
Speaker 3: You described to the work the brilliant work of detectives. Smythe to jim'smyth too, because he doesn't do the usual sort of wooing of this perpetrator. But he goes in very quickly, you know, for this route, for this interview that's supposed to be just routine. He thinks, it seems he takes that to his advantage, not having I think Williams really prepared, and then says immediately things like, you say, have you ever been read your rights? And here's what we're here for. We're too sexual assault and a couple murders. So he confronts him right away.
Speaker 5: Doesn't he Yeah, yeah, he's right on it. He typical read of doing it, you know, as some people and the police call it the read technique. And yeah, he was very structured, went right for it. And uh, you know because even then Russell started to get less smug and become a little bit more serious. But didn't he didn't seem like he was worried about it, you know, because he even offered to let him do DNA swab and all the tests. And then then he then he said, well, can we uh take your boots and check those as well? And he let them take his shoes, his boots, and and within two hours, like I said, then he holds and he uh shows him the tire trucks. Here's here these your car was and and that's how he put it. Your pathfinder was parked there, Your shoes walked into her house. Your shoes were there when she was murdered, your shoes and her shoes went back to your house, like like you know, he just sort of put it all. If you're not wearing them, somebody was wearing your shoes. And between the that, that and that, that's when Russell started kind of being on the defensive and kind of kind of going, well, what's going to happen to my wife? What's going to happen to the house? And that that was kind of the break. So within an hour after that, when they kind of agreed on a few things, he pointed out he just said, where's the map, I'll show you the body and he pointed out, just.
Speaker 3: Sorry, what you write too, is that that he talks about the footprints and he talks about the tire tracks and William says, really like he realizes they got the goods on him, and he says, well, what are my options?
Speaker 2: And I love this is.
Speaker 3: He says, well, I don't think you're I don't think you want the cold blooded psychopath option. I might be gone because I've met guys who actually enjoyed the notoriety. And that's when he said, okay, you got a map.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, it was done very well. And he that detectives might did get a lot of notoriety for it because he did. He did conduct it very well and he got it. And even after he did the map and they got the search warrant again, you know, he walked in and he made him write those letters to the victims and the families, and that was according to smythe He said, that's his technique to kind of verify because sometimes when you get a confession, something goes wrong. Technically it gets thrown out. This is this is something that wouldn't get thrown out with the confession. With the confession, so if he could get him to write letters saying yes I did, I'm sorry, I killed your daughter, I'm sorry I did you know all these letters they could still have that into evidence. So that was kind of a backup plan that Smythe had, just just to make sure in case the confession didn't count.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very interesting and profound part of your book that you include those letters and those revisions, and it's really striking to see something I guess that's so ridiculous actually that he's showing any kind of remorse, but a very interesting tactic by Jim Smythe or certainly, and.
Speaker 5: If I can point out on that one on a couple of the letters were to the unnamed victim, because we had one victim that's been unnamed and just won the lawsuit in December of last year, and it seems that that girl was underage, and because she was under age, she's still unnamed. And in the one one letter he did say to her that he hoped she would make something of herself someday, like grow up to be something good. Now that that part of it ended up being kept out in the trial, so that that whole part of the underage stuff and that was kind of the sore spot because what happened was the prosecution decided to keep all anything to do with pitiophile out of the trial and the charges if he would confess guilty. So he just took the took the plea of two murders eighty eight break kends, I believe, and two assaults and put away for life, no parole, and there was no trial. It would just be a redout in confession or you know, a plea and that's it. And so it was kind of done to protect the media or to protect the military.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that, because.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they thought it. You know, I was just they thought that that was going to put a really bad mark on military. Anything to do with children. You know, he had over forty five under you know, twelve year old panties. He had so much pornography of underage children that they found. You know, it was very very it was very involved, and they just thought they would just kind of not mention it and walk away and just put them away, replace them within a day, and melt is you know, burn his uniform, melt his metals, strip them from everything, replace them within a day, put them away for life. Done and it doesn't come up, it'll it'll you know, just go away. And I think that's wrong. I think it's a bad thing to do.
Speaker 3: Certainly, certainly because again that's information. It is important too, because this is we were talking about nine year old girls here too.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, it's it's it's it's it's just, you know, it's just something that shouldn't be done. We don't need because most intelligent people in the country would look at Okay, yeah, he was a nutcase, like we don't we just because he was doing minors, involving them in the in his crimes, does not mean the whole military doing it, you know, you just he's a bad apple. The whole military isn't bad. So I think that they're being overprotective of something that it's you know, he was mentally mentally, something was wrong with Russell Williams and he did these crimes. But the whole the whole air Force is not bad because of it.
Speaker 3: So the air Force shouldn't have had the Air Force shouldn't have had this much influence on the prosecution because it's not much of a deal when we're talking about concurrent sentences for everything. So really he's only pleading guilty to something that he would certainly be convicted of with the overwhelming evidence of the records that he kept and let's let's just talk about You talked about all the pantees and all the but there's much more, like sex, toys and photos and videos tell us just not the numbers, but just the full extent between Tweed and his home of stuff. Evidence that they found at those locations.
Speaker 5: Was that, yeah, that was yeah, you see, And that's kind of the leads to the next step is you know he's in there, he's confessed, there's the body. So they get the search warrant and they send their teams over and the White Vands knock on the door to his wife and say, we've got a search warrant, give you twenty minutes to get some stuff and leave. So she does. So they do the tests and they find there was thirteen Duffel bags, I believe there and now in the bags would be all the clothing, you know, like and he started out with just panties, but it got to where he was taking dresses, shoes, bras, bathing suits, and then pictures. You know, he would go into a place and go through their photo album and take pictures for himself and leave whither is see he was getting more brazen. He would then he would leave a couple of their pictures on the band so they know he was there, you know, And then he'd go and he took like vibrators. Then he started going into the mother's rooms and take their vibrators. He had eighteen vibrators I think was the total. But he would take a picture of his penis laying over top of the vibrator and then leave it for them, or he would take a picture and put it onto the computer of the woman he took it from, and he would say something, usually in French, but he would say thank you very much, or I can't wait to see you tell the cops what you had stolen. He was really being he was like playing Koi with these people. He was taking all these things and being almost pushy. And when he did, he also would film all of his stuff. So it was a girl that he attacked, the film would be in there, all the pictures would be in there, and none of it was hidden. So they found all of it pretty much at ease. And so that came to the question is if they could do that, why did his wife not know it? You know, at least if she didn't know how he mustn't have been worried about her finding it, right, I mean, it wasn't hidden the way, and there was tons and tons of evidence, And the other thing is okay, so after the police find all this stuff, do the search warrant, come back. The first day she comes back, the wife, that is, what does she do? She calls her lawyer and sues the police for scratching her hogwood floors. Yeah, got that didn't make sense to me. You know, if could you imagine you're at home, had the police come and says, okay, your partner's spouse has confessed to murder. This is a search warrant. We're going through the house. You got twenty minutes, get out, We're going to go through stuff, and you leave. They do the search, and then and then you come back home. The first thing you do is call and say they scratched my floor. I want them to come fix it. I mean, I don't know. I think it's it's but.
Speaker 3: It doesn't all mean it makes none of it makes much sense that she would not be able to know anything maybe not know anything about his behavior. But there was some talk that they were separated quite a bit as well, in terms of she wouldn't see everything he did, but it is compelling when you talk about all these bags of clothing that she wouldn't have ever stumbled across any of it or asked any questions whatsoever.
Speaker 5: And the other thing shared blood, yeah, and samples of blood. The other thing is too. They shared the laptop Mac laptop together back then, and this isn't when you know, this is got to you know, not everybody had smartphones and all that. So they shared a Mac laptop and he had all of those pictures and videos all on the desktop, all alphabetical order by the person and the clothing, and he filmed it all, even the ones he didn't rape. And when he went into a place like the next door neighbors they're Murdochs. When they were away three weekends, he would go in and he would set up the tripod, lay in the girl's bed, twelve year old girl's bed, take off his clothes and wear all of her clothes, try them all on for hours, and then do that again the next night, next night. And so what he did was he filmed it and took pictures and would put that on his desktop so it would be under her name, and it would be all the events he did with her, even if he never attacked her, just with the clothing. So that was all over the desktop. And she's not a stupid more and they're sharing that for emails and stuff. I don't know. I just I leave that open.
Speaker 3: Well other people. Other people have speculated like that as well and scratched their head, and more so because they've all launched lawsuits against her. So there is various lawsuits against her still in play, isn't there.
Speaker 5: Oh well, they've all settled now as of November of last year, she settled out of court. Every one of them was seven million dollars the two point five. See the court decided that she could be held responsible. And so when they did that in October, she and her lawyer settled out all the lawsuits. And we don't know the amounts that she settled for because it's you know, it's not disclosed. But she's completely settled, so it should be over. She's left her job. Nobody really knows where she is. She's probably back in England. She has wealthy parents with the big oil company and she's probably somewhere there.
Speaker 3: You have another you include another story. And I had to laugh at the just the last part of it, which talked about the mustard. So tell us about again something that again a close call. Tell us about this close call and Russell Williams in twenty ten April.
Speaker 5: Oh, when he was in prison, yes, oh, when he tried to kill himself. Yes, very you know, he's a smart guy. Hey, take the He basically plugged the oh he was taking the paper and the plastic off of the I think the orange juice containers or something, the little little wax, and he would be able to plug the locks so that the guard wouldn't get in fast enough. And then he would shove the toilet roll and the mustard down his throat so he would choke. And but they they found him, they caught him in time. He didn't die. Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you say that he had scrawled a suicide note though with in you know, in mustard. And so then later they called him, they referred to him as, you know, colonel Mustard.
Speaker 5: Colonel Mustard. Yeah that's right, I actually forgot I knew. Yeah, the officers all called him Colonel Mustard down there because yeah, that's how he's you know, it's kind of laughable in a way, you know. And now he's in the Quebec's high security. He gets one hour a day where he's allowed fresh air. I guess you call it, you know, exercise, and other than that, that's it and he's he's gone away for life.
Speaker 3: M the you do do the heartbreaking part of this book where you talk about at trial of Jessica's mother, Roxanne, she held a large frame picture of her daughter with her right all the time there and also Lourie Massacot and forty victims of family members attended. So it was quite the sight, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was, you know, and I do I do want to bring something in Lourie Masscott, Now she was the second rape victim, and the negative side on that was because she was blindfolded and attacked. And remember when we were talking about the Larry Jones, a neighbor, and with the jacket and the different things, the fingerprints that they had, well, when all this was happening, she testified that she thought it was Larry Jones's voice, so that that kind of threw the book at him, and he since has come out and said that that was only because it happened that Larry Laurie Mascot and Larry Jones. Their two kids were involved in a marriage and they had a really bad breakup, really bad breakup, and he's saying that's the only reason she identified his voice. So I have to mention that because that that, you know, it added to it and it made life worse for him. And the other thing that I found interesting was how the Murdoch's, the next door neighbor, the one where he had, you know, six bags of her stuff, a twelve year old girl, they bought his cabin at Tweed right, well right, And that's that's kind of very unusual to why they would want I mean, a girl was murdered there and all of the things that happened and they bought it. Now, they did an exclusive interview with mcclean's and they said that it was only to protect it from becoming a place to go, becoming a you know, like a B and B or something to someone making a business out of it, and that's why they bought it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hard to say. You do include and not to attack police in this because there's some excellent police work here, but you do talk about DNA collected after the first victim was attacked. Was in the RC The data bank within two weeks in November. However, when Williams murdered come O, it took now ten weeks to process and upload to that same DNA data bank. Tell us if you or and you and others think that there would that would have made any significant difference.
Speaker 5: Well, it definitely would have because it would well, you know what, I think it would have changed the scenario because then we would have known it was a serial thing going on, and it changes the whole idea and the way the media handles it, the towns, the police. All of a sudden, there's a concerted effort to go, oh my god, we have a serial rapist killer, right, and that's our mindset changes, and then people start looking for that rather than two individual crimes happening in two little towns. So yeah, it does change it. You know, I still think that they would have things still would have happened. They wouldn't have caught him at that time, but it would have changed, you know, just the whole ground that we worked on, so you know, to actually sue them, and I know that that's going on, you know, with that Lorie Mascott and some of them had sued the police for that and and I know there's some problems there to blame them. Well, I wouldn't have been raped if you would have done this. I don't, I don't know. I'm not I don't see it that way. I don't think it would have been solved, and I don't think it would have stopped the attack from happening. But you know that my guess is as good as anybody else's. I'm not above on knowing the real answer to that. It's just it's so hard to look back and say, right, you know, I don't know, go ahead, sorry, I just I don't know how you feel about that. I just you look at it, and yeah, it would have changed the playground and the way the police were dealing with it, But I don't think it would have changed William's behavior. Yeah, I mean, it was too soon in it, and he was still getting more and more and more. He was still doing what he was doing. And just because police were looking for a serial killer or it was publicly notified that there's a serial rapist something going on, I don't know that it would have changed much because you know, along these terms, the Scarborough rapist was going in, Paul Bernardo and all of that was going on the same scenario, tied up, blindfolded, beaten, and killed and raped girls in the same age groups. It didn't stop Paul from doing it. I don't think it would have stopped Williams.
Speaker 3: Right right, Well, it's an incredible story, and I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Above Suspicion. Not only have you done this book, of course, I was glad and happy to be on your program. How Some Mystery that you co host with Kevin tell us a little bit about how Some Mystery and if you have a website or how people might find more information about this book and your work with House of Mystery.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, the House of Mystery is true crime and history. So we do a lot of the true crime just as you do. We like to get people that are on that are involved in it in part of the crime as much as we can, authors, filmmakers, and then we do a little bit of history, so we kind of go back, you know, jfk RFK, some World War history sort of things, some of the old Great Outlaws as well, you know, Jesse James and stuff. And we are on Seattle KKNW eleven and that's on four to five o'clock and of course all the podcast sites. Our website is Somethingweird media dot com and on something weirdmedia dot com you can get access to all the shows. We do a blog as well, or Kevin does the blog, and you have access to our own to the books, and of course and Amazon and Barnes and Noble. The book is out.
Speaker 3: Well, that's great. I want to thank you again Alan for coming on and talking about this book. Congratulations on a fantastic book and again very deservedly needs more attention to this story. I don't think people are aware of gratulations on this book doing that for us, So thank you very much and hope to talk to you again soon. And all the best with House of Mystery and writing another book, and hope to talk to you again soon.
Speaker 5: Great. Well, thank you very much for having me. It's been a real pleasure and it's an honor here it's you're the best true crime podcast going.
Speaker 3: Ah shocks. That's a good coming from you. Thank you very much, Allen. You have a great day. Thank you again for this interview.
Speaker 5: Good night, thank you Bye.