Speaker 1: You're listening to an air wave media podcast.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant, hairy creature. Part eight, Part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 1: Monstert Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. Don Prothero returns in this episode along with his collaborator Timothy Callahan to discuss their new book UFOs kim Trails and Aliens, a very skeptical overview of the field of uthology. As I mentioned in the interview, UFOs is a topic some people get very passionate about, some to the point of religious fervor. And I don't mean that figuratively. But if you're looking for a skeptical overview of a field that's often not given a very thoughtful rebuttal from science, I think this book may be what you need. A link to it will be in the show notes at monster talk dot org. I'd like to take longer for this preamble, but I'm behind on several projects. I must send this out as it is a note about the audio quality. We had a lot of challenges getting done and ten together for this interview, and ended up having to do the interview on landline. Unfortunately, Tim had a bit of a cough and I hope he's feeling better now, but I wasn't able to remove that cough from the audio because of the way everyone was connected. So my apologies, but I hope it won't detract too much from what I think is a fund an informative conversation. Let's get to some more obstrutle today. We're welcoming Donald Protheroe and Timothy Callahan. Don is a geologist and paleontologist. He's the author of numerous books and scientific papers, including Reality Check, How Science Deniers Threaten Our Future and Abominable Science, Origins of Yetti NeSSI and other Famous Cryptids. Don's been on the show several times, and we're welcoming for the first time Timothy Callahan, who is a trained artist and has worked for more than twenty years in the animation industry, and throughout his life he's also had an active interest in science and the study of mythology and religious beliefs, and he is the religion editor for Skeptic Magazine, and together they've collaborated on a new book called UFOs, kim Trails and Aliens, What Science Says. Welcome to Monstratalk.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Joy.
Speaker 4: Hi guys. So this is a book that's about a lot of fringe topics. But what's the underlying theme that unites them all within your book?
Speaker 3: I could say it's probably just that we're trying to approach this topic as a very strict scientific manner and using the methods of science in a rigorous way too often, and you look at books to talk about UFOs, they'll sometimes talk about rules of reason and rules of logic and rules of scientific evidence, but it's not being explicit about it. And so one of the things we laid out at the beginning of the book is how scientific method works, and what's testable science and what's speculation, and how what quality of evidence is required to establish something in the scientific community, which is something really necessary because so much of what caused evidence for UFOs and aliens does not pass muster of scientific evidence.
Speaker 1: So I know that a lot of these themes come up on Monster Talk quite a bit, especially with the eyewitness accounts, and when things sort of get into the zeitgeist, they become spotted. Like go to example we always talk about is how Bigfoot really didn't exist as a phenomenon, but once it became part of the culture, every mysterious animal in the woods was probably a bigfoot. Is that true in your findings in the UFO world?
Speaker 3: Yeah, copycat phenomenon going on. It's basically the reality is that when you look at the history of these reports, they pretty much only date back to the late part of the nineteenth century, about the time science fiction arose, of course, and they go back of really usuals verns in some ways, and before that, if somebody saw something strange in the sky, they would call it an angel or a demon or some other kind of thing, but they wouldn't call it a UFO or an alien. And so we really UFOs and aliens are just a recent phenomenon, less than a little over a century old, and they really reflect the culture that really has sort of got given up looking for demons in the guise that we look for UFOs. And then there's a long history which Tim will I'll probably talk about them. There's a tremendous amount of copycatting. Once science fiction or science ficture magazines or television or movies introduces a particular alien meme or a particular type of spaceship it, it's copycatted and then spread through the media to all through the culture, and then everybody in that generation pretty much expects to see aliens that look like So for example, ah u Well's original aliens in the War of the Worlds looked more like octopuses or spiders, and that was maybe their earliest meme we know of from science fiction. But of course the little gray aliens we now associated well Steven Spielberg movies come from a much more recent generation. Tim you could talk about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the gray aliens probably has their origin in the episode of Outer Limits called the Balero Shield. And it was only after seeing this that Barney Hill realized the aliens were these gray aliens that before then his wife had nightmares that he had nightmares that were the aliens who abducted them, had the kind of bluish lips, dark hair, and Jimmy Duranty type noses. And then the Reptilians don't really appear until after the TV series V came on and the idea of them being shape shifting can be traced to that too, since they were mass grading as humans. I think we can probably track the Nordic aliens back to Klatu in the nineteen fifty one movie The Days is Still, where Michael Ronny is this benevolent and you know, very human looking alien.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that actually happens so often in our kind of area of concern for monsters. I've started calling them scripteds because they seem to come out of movie script Yeah. So what inspired you guys to collaborate on this book?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 3: It was it was sort of a funny thing. I've just done that book, as you know, on Bigfoot and Nassy and the rest of the cryptosoology culture with Daniel Loxton, and then, you know, I've been thinking about it for a while and realized that we pretty much approach this same topic, the UFO topic, the same way we did with crypt zoology, and so I knew I could write in parts of it, but I really didn't feel I had the expertise and so many of its gigantic literature out there, and so many many different stories and places you can read the debunking of individual stories, but not all in one place, but Tim had done this for a lot of years, was Skepting magazine and actually written about a number of the more famous UFO hoaxes and other types of things which aren't really what they claim to be. So then I talked to Tim about it, and that's how we ended up collaborating. Then I went to Indiana. I ended up liking the idea the best and gave us a contract.
Speaker 4: You started the book with an introduction into the scientific method, and there's a brief look at logic, reason, critical thinking, Popper's falsifiability ideas. So is there some kind of problem with basic science literacy?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that was something that I felt was necessary because you really can't assume science literacy and almost any reading American anymore so much it's been you know, just assume them. It's not really there. And especially because you know, even people who are relatively literate and other topics and may not understand science very well because it isn't explain very clearly even in school level. And so you really have to spell out a lot of these things that are that are really way real sciences operate, because most people operate with this idea of science and scientists as there's stereotypes that they get from media, especially the white lab code and the frizzy right hair and the mad scientist stereotype, right down to the sparking vandigraph generators and the you know, bubbling beakers. That's the stereotype that we live with all the time, and most non scientists often think of scientists that way.
Speaker 2: There's also a tendency for them to say, well, here's a strange thing. You used to explain it, and they get it backwards around but that if we can't explain something, then it must be UFOs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something we're you know, over and over again in the book Unexplained is not necessarily unexplainable and the nature of scientists that are always being an unexplained area that's on the fringe of what we've so far explained. In most cases we end up finding out what that is and explaining it. But even if we don't, we don't resort to anything paranormal as a comp out. It's always if it's not explained, it's just in the unexplained category. And that's basically and it implies into a top topic UFO. It's unidentified flying object does not necessarily mean it's unidentify a bull or it never will be identified. It's only unidentified at the time it was first seen, and people forget that's what UFO really stands for.
Speaker 1: That's I think a problem in all these Fringey forty n paranormal type fields is that so much of it comes down to an argument from ignorance. We don't know. Therefore, it's this which is really kind of a peculiar construct, yet it's universal in these fields of study, or seems to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very true because we as you know, as human beings, we like to have answers even when there are none. And if we don't have an answer or we don't have a simple explanation for us something, we'll create it. It's very much human nature to do that. That's what mythology is based on, and so much else is based on as well. When you don't understand something, you don't have an answer, you create an answer, and that's the mythologizing of the cryptids has been that way for a long time, and really almost exactly the same way. The mythologizing of UFOs and aliens works the same way. And as Tim and I've talked about before in other interviews. Really, what this amounts to is the twentieth centuries version of creation myths and the religion of the scientific world, which is, you know, when science takes away a lot of our other gods, that we have put the UFOs and aliens in their place instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that seems to be consistent with just myth making in general. And I think you actually covered that pretty specifically in there and talked about the Roswell effect.
Speaker 3: I think that was right, were you, Yeah, they call it the Roswell effect, right, Yeah, the Roswell incident is thoroughly debunked in every sense. S itce been so for a long time. But what the reality happened is that it's gotten so thoroughly built up by the fringe media, especially these late night cable shows and all this UFO literature, that people have to believe that there's something there, just because it's talked about so often, even though it's in fact the flimsiest case in the entire UFO literature. And I to SRA how flimsay was in ninety forty seven when it supposedly occurred, it was not even listed among the events that were thought to be mysterious UFO events of that year, because it was already been debunked and on to you with Forgotten and then what stay Forgotten for nearly thirty years until it was resurrected in the nineteen seventies by UFO researchers.
Speaker 1: It's peculiar to me because that pattern of having the story like it's basically not that complicated of a story, but it keeps growing and growing and growing. So and I think we've talked about that a lot on here about other monstratories, but the idea that it's one of the signs that you may be dealing with myth making is that the details keep getting more and more detailed as time goes by, and more and more it just keeps expanding, and so it literally follows a folklore pattern there and the way that it gets passed around and expanded upon. So I really like the way that you talked about that. And now you did go into quite a few cases within this book, and it's been my experience that much like with monsters, the UFOs and alien stories have grown these followings of people who are super interested in the details of particular cases. Did you find it intimidating at all, knowing that if you're going to try to do a general book, you're definitely going to disappoint some people who were experts that have devoted their life to one case or another.
Speaker 2: They're going to happen. That's going to happen. It's and there's a kind of a fish story quality to these narratives. By the way, want to have the randals from Forest accident. The initial statement of Sergeant Peniston was that he got within thirty meters of the object, and then later on he actually got up and touched it, and then after that he was getting messages from it. And then a few years down the line he decided wasn't the spaceship after all, it was a time traveling craft in the future, and there was telepathically giving him binary code which he wrote down in books, you know, long books. It's very strange. And now people do get indignant when you attack and how dare you say this thing? And prickly with Varney and Betty Hill, you know there is and again it's one of those things that when you investigate it further. You investigated the Moor in Unravels.
Speaker 3: It was also on the the Rosal story, the major awitness who actually was witness. Almost everybody else that's in the UFO literature was never at the scene and did not report anything, but Major Marcel Jesse Marcel was a witness, and he was by the time the UFO researchers approached him in nineteen seventies of seventy seven, I think it was already thirty years since the incident. He'd been out of the military for a long time. He was working as a TV repairman and not making very much money. And then long come all his UFO researchers who want his story, and the more he embellishes it, the more they pay him. And so every version of his story of what happened the Area fifty one has changed and gets more and more elaborate as he supposedly remembers more details that he can then supply for these people who make these books and documentaries about Area fifty one. So it was not Area fifty one, excuse me, Roswell's. So it was a classic case of you know, you know, somehow the money enhances memory.
Speaker 4: So before we dig into a couple of particular cases in the book, you also talk about patentnicity and issues with observations and the fallibility of human perception. So do people overestimate the powers of observation and memory.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's very much the case, and that's pretty much the central case, even more so than for cryptozoology, but for UFOs, virtually the entire field rests, and with a couple of exceptions, entirely on eyewitnessed evidence in supposedly what humans have seen or heard or experienced, And so we have to tack that very directly, and one of the things we do right at the beginning the book, we have a little anecdote that opens the story, which is a famous hoax from nineteen oh nine by a hoax of the name of Wallace Tillingast, and this is through six years after the Wright brothers had flown. He claimed he had an aircraft that could fly at night, could fly at higher elevations, could fly for hours, and all these other things, and he was going to be trying to enter in an air competition in order to prevent anyone from stealing his ideas. He was orderly to fly at night, and therefore you couldn't see him do it in the daytime, and so that was planted. Also the media in New England at that time, in the lay fall of nineteen oh nine, and it wasn't you know, it was absurd to look at it now, but it was just a couple of steps ahead the technology the Wright brothers and Glenn Curtis had in nineteen nine. They had aircraft. They weren't quite able to do it that yet, but he claimed he did. And so for the next few nights after it appeared in the media, or fifty thousand people claimed they heard and saw his aircraft flying above them at night, and they claimed they saw a fly around the Statue of Liberty. They saw it in Boston, they saw it. All of these coasted at the same time, and night after night after night. This kept happening because the media kept feeding the frenzy until right before Christmas Eve nineteen oh nine, and then it was exposed and the entire oaks collapsed. And so the object lesson there is that fifty thousand people can be wrong. They can, all, because of media conditioning, believe they heard and saw something we now know was not there. And so in the book we lay out very clearly why you eyewitness evidence is pretty much the worst possible evidence from a scientific standpoint, and that it's so easily distorted, it's so easily influenced. The studies of people like Elizabeth Loftus and other psychologists have shown that humans are terrible video recorders. We remember things wrong, we put in details that didn't happen. After the time that lapses, our memories change, and we had or subtract details. And the whole idea of I was his testimony has shown that bridges you can't trust anything human see, even multiple humans, because fifty thousand people were wrong and about the New England air ship hooks, and so that pretty much did derail the entire UFO community right there, that they can't believe by witness evidence. They don't have much left. When I did this talk in front of a bunch of UFO believers a few months ago when the book first came out, that's one of the first things I did, and the guy was stunned. He didn't have anything to say because everything he wanted to talk about was was based on eyewitness testimony.
Speaker 2: Another another classic case of that, as the case of the Phoenix lights. We're very normal, ordinary people swear they saw this formation of lights and a V shape formation. The lights on the leading winning edge of this wing going over slowly over Phoenix, blotting out the stars. And you know, lots of people saw. Fortunately some people took videos of it, but the video camera does not show that. It shows lights hovering over the horizon, coming on one at a time, forming eventually a line, and then winking off one a time, exactly like what you would expect, which was the Air Force's explanation that they had dropped military flares on parachutes. And these aren't These aren't coops, these aren't Charlatans, These are just ordinary folks. We have a tendency to tell ourselves stories. The fact is our perception is our brain putting together all kinds of stuff to tell a story, you know, even you know vision for example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's even a better sample of this pattern seeking, which of course is that humans of course are conditioned to recognize faces first and foremost among almost any pattern we can see. And there's a famous hoax where on the very first Viking missions it flew over Mars, took this very low resolution image of the Martian surface of the course of the sunlight coming into low angle, so made fairly large shadows of a hill, and you know, it sort of has two little spots and a cross line across the hill that if you stared at a moment, it's so like a simple cartoon of a face. And this con man made a living out of claiming the Martians had carved this face into the surface so we could see it, and that this is a real evidence of life on Mars. And it kept going and he made tons of money if all these people who agree with him, it looked like a face until the next mission to Mars went over, and of course the shot of the same hill from a higher resolution at a different sun angle, and it doesn't look anything like a face. And then the third time over, of course the details are even more clear, and it's clear with just just a accident of lighting and the low resolution that image the first time it was seen, and our tendency to see faces when there are none.
Speaker 1: They've adapted that story, and I believe current claims are that the what NASA nuked the monuments of Mars. I believe.
Speaker 2: So you know that's.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I guess we have robots on Mars now that aren't finding anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I wish it were true. I mean, I wish there were colonies on Mars or ancient ruins on Mars, and you know, and that would just be wonderful. It doesn't look like the geology and the evidence supports that, but even microbial life would be a really great fine And I think we'll get to some of those things, I think as we go through these topics. But what we're trying to do is kind of give people an idea of what's in your book without like spoiling it. So I think we're getting there. I do want to talk a little bit about Area fifty one, but it seems like it's got a lot of different names, and I was hoping maybe you could help us clarify what should we be calling that place.
Speaker 3: You still call it Area fifty one. The story behind that is that right after World War II was over, Lockey was starting to build a big spy planes that were designed the course to be flown a real high elevation above Soviet missile and radar they thought, and the air stir planes at the time. And so they were looking for in a really isolated airstrip that they could use to build to test these planes. They were, you know, at the time, they were still testing Edward's Air Force Base down here in Los Angeles County, but there was too many prying eyes down here. So the Kelly Johnson, the chief engineer for Lockheed, was one of the people who took these flights and they flew out of all all this territory and so the Nevada it's adjacent to the Nevada Test Site where of course they were testing nukes at the time, and the ls Air Force Base, which is where they have the most of their bombing runs that area, and they found a strip which is called Groom Lake. It's a natural sort of air strip that they developed off or dry light, very much like Edwards wasn' when it was first developed, and it was perfect for their purpose. It's because not only was it an airstrip in the middle of nowhere, but it also had no place where you could see it from ground level. It was surrounded by mountains on all sides, so there's no way prying eyes and outside the bays could see it. The only way you could see it at the time was to fly over it, and of course they had fighter jets protecting you from flying and restricted areas. Of course, today now thanks to satellites, anybody can just type area fifty one into a Google search, you know, for Google Maps, and you can see it instantly, so one of the first hits you'll get. But at the time it was very well protected by no prying eyes to see it at any point. And once they got that it had different names depending upon where there was Air Force, the CIA you're talking to, they gave you nicknames like Paradise Ranch and things like that, and that was mostly to make the various employees of Lockheed and the Air Force feel like you were less punished than they were for living in the middle of a hell of Nevada desert with nothing for miles, and so they called it Paradise Ran to sell it to the people who had to be stuck out there. And then it basically, you know, kept on doing its purpose, which is threat to the nineteen fifties and sixties, it was top secret. No nobody was abowted to know about it except those who were on the innermost circle. And they tested first the U two spike plane, of course, the famous one that shot down n the Nrussia and Gary Powers on at the time. After that they developed the A twelve, which became the SR seven one Blackbird, which was so high so it flew ad ninety thousand feet at Mock two or Mock three, that no Soviet plane or Soviet missile or anybody could reach it. It just was completely untouchable. And they flew up there for a very long time, and then eventually they started using the base to test the Stealth Fighter, which was also developed there as well. And all those projects, of course were top secret until they eventually were, you know, somehow leaked out one way or another. And during the time they did this, of course, there were these very strange shaped aircraft with very strange lights on them. In the case of the Blackbird, those things flew over j liners at forty thousand feet and zipped past them, way above the jetliners. So they've actually explained a lot of the UFO sidings from that time in that place where basically these spyplanes higher than any normal passenger aircraft, flying very fast and looking very strange, especially if they like it them at a funny anger because they have weird shapes compared to any aircrafts that're familiar. So high percentage of the UFO sidings in that area, we're all from these biplanes that were just secret at the time. Plus, the Air Force and the CIA had an incentive to create the story about you aliens being kept there because that kept people off the real story. It's a great cover, you know. They don't want to just disavow that kind of thing because it leaves them a chance to people look in the wrong directions. They're magicians, strict a misdirection. But the whole thing was finally released. The CIA and twenty thirteen, thanks of Freedom Information Act, released almost everything that was ever done at Air fifty one. Now there are no secrets left there, and this point that maybe current aircraft that remained top secret bay still has top security. And the thing that really clinches it is not just that the Air Force and the CIA released everything, but also that the people who worked there have all come out pretty much now that they've been released, to their vows of secrecy, and they've all talked about a group of men called the Roadrunners. They're mostly lockeed engineers and Lockey pilots and people like that who did this work for the Air Force and the CIA, one of whom was my father, Clifford Protero. He worked for lockeed his entire career starting in the nineteen thirties. He retired in ninety seventy six or seventy seven, and he was at the head of taking illustration by the time he finished, and so he had top seri de clearance. And several times I remember when I was younger, he would disappear for a week and we're not allowed to ask where he was going. And then when he retired and long after he was released clear of talk about this. And I think we were watching a UFO show on some cable channel late at night, you know, when I was visiting my parents, and he was laving his head off because he said, oh, I was at Area fifty one that time, and there's nothing like that going.
Speaker 2: On at all.
Speaker 3: And that's what the older other roadrunners say as well. So it's pretty well documented. It's all entire the mythology that the secrecy created, and of course the Air Force and SAA were happy to loud to continue.
Speaker 4: You've got a very nice chapter in the book where you do detail this and you talk about Area fifty one and what's really going on there right.
Speaker 3: Right, And we actually led a skeptic society field tripped a couple of years ago in the winter time to go as close to Area fifty one as the roads allow. You know, you can't go past the security checkpoint, but we did that for the skeptic side. And there's a very funny little institution called the Alien. Little Alien on the north side of the base near Rachel Nevada, which is just a little tiny watering hole with this restaurant and motel and handful of trailer houses is all it is. And they have this amazing displays on the inside where all this UFO stuff is on the walls, and movies that film out there. Often you go a little Alien and some of them are actually used Alien in the movie. That's so legendary place and anyway, so we did an Area fifty one trip there a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: I went to Las Vegas two years ago, maybe last year for Christmas with my company and they gave us like some adventure money to go out and do different things. That was two years ago, and we went to My wife and I took off straight from the airport and hopped in a rental car and drove up to Rachel h to go check it out.
Speaker 3: Place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a long drive. Yeah, but it is, and there's really nothing there. It's like a trailer park with a gift shop. But I do love all the crap I bought. I've got t shirts and mugs and oh yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I'm wearing one of mine right now. As a matter of fact, they have for some reason all these dollar bills stable to the ceiling right above the bar. I don't know what the story behind that was. In out front, they have a old satellite dish that's glued to some other satellite dish and then hanging from the end of a tow truck cable and that's their their flying saucers.
Speaker 1: So so you do mention the anti Jacobsen's Area for Human book and give a really brief summary but kind of a takedown on it too. So you mentioned that because that was a very popular book when it came out, but I was a little I was a little annoyed by it.
Speaker 3: So Tim and I were both there when she defended her book in front of Skeptics Society back when it still met in Pasadena at Caltech, And so there were four hundred and five hundred people that the room was packed, and she basically, you know, spent nine percent of time, as she does in the book, just giving them more or less mundane details of all this kind of spycraft that were going on at the time. All it was just stuff she got right out of the files that were released from the Freedom Information Act. Whence this thing how open There was a book there, and so most of that was not that really controversial, and she wouldn't probably sold that many copies if she just reported that only. But at the very end of her book, this is the hooker that she got to get the media's attention. She made this sort of ridiculous claim that she'd talked to one of the road runners, one of the people who had worked there, and of course gave no names, and said this person had claimed that, in fact, there was a spacecraft and an alien body at Area fifty one which had come from Roswell and even to make a stranger and apparently, according to her story, this person claimed this person was a mute that was developed by the Nazis during the end of World War War U two and had all these strange features because they'd genetically altered it or whatever, which is sort of the real extreme of crazy, and then it had been covered up because it had flown through the spacecraft that had crashed at Roswell. So she managed to tie Roswald eight or Area fifty one and then had Nazis the whole story. So that was guaranteed to get the press attention, and if you read all of the listens, you got that time virtually all only thing that any of the reporters ever talked about was this one ridiculous story that she talked about, and of course, the minute she finished explaining this, the skeptical audience we were a part of just touring apart because you know, most everything else she reported now has been corroborated by multiple witnesses. It's not in the actual air verse reports, it's in various word runners reports. But this one was only one witness, and we're all saying, well, could it have been that he maybe he was seen now, could it have been he was pulling your leg? But she's still reported with a straight face, which I think she was laughing all the way to the bank at the end.
Speaker 4: So in your book you talk about some of the issues with the various types of encounters. So for a little while we'd like to discuss some of those. But first, what are those encounter types and where did they come from?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the different scales Heinich scales, Yeah, yeah, And essentially the close encounters of the first kind are just that you were within I guess fifty meters of a UFO. The second kind is that you've got some kind of physical evidence it was like the good old Bob White artifact. Third one is that you've actually met with the and the fourth kind is if you've been abducted by them. And we have a chapter on each of those kinds of encounters. So it's prettily interesting. Again when you look into the find stuff that's quite interesting but not really extraterrestrial, like the Bob White artifact, which turns out to be a stalactite forms on the inside of large stationary grinders when bits of metal that are molten and been ground off get stuck together and this thing goes. It looks very organic.
Speaker 1: So what is a close encounter of the first kind.
Speaker 2: Well, you have to get within, like I say, within I guess it's fifty meters of the ship. Maybe you see an alien or you see a ship, but you haven't got physical evidence and you don't have you haven't talked to them exactly, you've just seen them. That would be the first kind. See.
Speaker 1: The second kind is that's the where there's some kind of physical evidence, right.
Speaker 2: Physical, Yeah, And we go through that in different Some have very interesting explanations, like the Adelphos ring in canvas that these people saw something and afterwards found this glowing ring and uh the woman in the family touched it in their hand went numb. It all sounds very spooky. It turns out it's armor. Really a I'm gonna mess this arm armelia anyway. It's the fun, hilarious armilarious Yeah, that has that is bioluminescence and also produces oxalic acid as a by product, and if you touch it, it's an irritant and either cause you pain or cause the skin to go numb. And so you know, it's it's a lot of things where people don't know some obscure bit of science like not to many people know about by all themcent fungi. And so when they encounter this, uh, which which will grow fung they go out in a ring. They come from a central point and my celia go out and then die off in the center and the rain keeps expanding. Uh. Some people don't know about this. Then they see something odd that they may have seen ball lightning above it. It's possible, and you know, then there's this belief that's a it's a UFO.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you could also put crop circles in the category of physical evidence that's supposedly left behind by aliens. And the irony on cross circles, of course, is that they have very simple explanation. Almost every one of them has been acknowledged.
Speaker 2: Toby A.
Speaker 3: Oaks, you know that they all It takes a clever hoaxer with a board and a rope and a steak, and they can make all sorts of interesting patterns in any kind of crop you like, and done over and over again, and confessed by his a hoax over and over again. Yeah, there's still lots of people who take this seriously. And it's to me it's the limits of absurdity that someone imagined something would travel across these giganticular style distances only just to drop patterns in our crops and then leave without contacting us.
Speaker 2: There was another hoax where a guy sort of film of us light buzzing over it. And then forming a crop circle, and he and he saying, oh, why look at that, you know, very breathlessly, And then he did this to show how he it with hoax, because he said, I did this as a hoax, and here's how I did it, and he you know, did it with a you know, in the computer and stuff, and people's one one of the crop circle enthusiasts said, no, no, it's it's it's obviously real, as real as light was creating this crop circle with the UFO, and so Away has attempt to debunk this only heightened the belief of the believers.
Speaker 1: Hey, I know one section in the book, you go through quite a few of the alleged alien skulls or alien hybrid skulls, and it seemed like every one of them had a very good natural explanation. Don did your paleontology background come in handy and going through those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I had. Most of those were done by Tim.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, Tim was debunk a lot of them, mostly human skulls that have been deformed by being put in the cradle board and things like that, or various other sources. But the one that we were running into, we'd stumble onto this on the Internet, and it was claim that they had an alien skull from this place I guess in Romania, which they shows up on the internet over and over again as this supposed alien skull and hang on, the name escapes me. Now hang on here, that's right, Rudope, it's in the Romania. And the minute I saw this on an Internet, I said, what the heck, that's not a skull, you know, and not the way they oriented it. And I looked at it closer for the pictures of it, and it's a broken back half of a animal skull and it's probably either a calf or maybe a goat, and that's all there is to it. And if you know your your animal anatomy, you can see, well, they broke the snout off, that's all. So you're looking at the various cavities on the inside of the skull, and the sinus regions and the ethmoid regions that's what they're calling it, the eye sockets and all these other things they just show they don't know any anatomy. And so I got together with a Russian colleague of mine who was much closer to the sources and also really good in panetologists and he helped me get a bunch of images of a you know, he took a cowskull out and cut it up, and he shows you can just slice right through it a certain way you'll get exactly the same as the road to be skull. Then the second one that was on this almost same the same websites is one. There's another one that comes from the Cocus Mountains of Russia, and again it's claiming to be this alien skull, but if you look at it closer, you know your animal anatomy, it's just the back of the riskull of a mountain ibex of some kind. Because you can tell what's playing to be eye sockets, it's actually the basis of the horns. So it's just plain anatomical incompetence that you see. And then of course they power the internet to blow these images up, and of course both of them, well one of it may still exist, but the Rhodopey skull is claim to be lost, so there's no way ever to find out exactly what it really was, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of them, like the pealine skull, also as a mystery as they lost and the the height or depth of scientific literacy is evident when They refer to the something as part of the r Opius skull as the mouth hole. Yeah, so you know you don't have a mouth hole, you have a job on it.
Speaker 1: I remember when I was maybe just in college, we found a cow pelvis, uh that it was. It was all bleached and it made a really nice mask. We called it the butt head because he really all kinds of different different parts of a skeleton can look face like. You know, we've already have that tendency to find faces, and if you don't have the whole skeleton, it's easy to assume that parts are you know, used for different things. It goes back to the cyclops and the elephant skull, that the nasal cavity being presumed to be a giant single eyehole, that sort of thing. So the history of monsters and rotten animals is is long and deep.
Speaker 2: Ironically ironically, uh, we're not talking about a level of civilization here. I've got a great book on that was the Smithsonian Institution book, and I talked about this fossil hunter at one point where he is bringing up the fossil of a three toed horse and a Sioux Indian. This is not too long after the battle Little Big Horn, and they were newly on the reservation. This so Indian came up and looked at him, scrutinized that, and he kept on working all the guys, and suddenly the guy said, in the language of the Lakota little horse. You know, as he was, he had a sophisticated knowledge of comparative anatomy, because they've seen a lot of skeletons that he could tell this is a this three toed horse, which is very much smaller than owners, was actually a horse. And you know, probably this guy had been around and seeing the Rhodopi skull. He's oh back end of a cow skulls.
Speaker 3: Only asked Westerners that are so illiterate about anatomy. That's more crimtive people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, another fun part of the book is where you cover several prominent contactees.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: So that's the chapter on the third kind. So, would you like to talk a little bit about some of the patents that you've observed within this group of people.
Speaker 3: Good Jim, that's yours.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, I'm trying to think which we're talking about, like Georgia Damski and some of the others like Noah, Well, Uh, they quite often uh form a little cult around themselves. They uh. Georgia Damski uh led some people out of the desert and he talked about somebody, a doctor Williamson, And turns out the guy was not a doctor, uh a doctor of erny sort uh. And all these people who were supposedly uh just ordinary folks were actually already a fish in autos And he uh went over a hill and claimed came running back an hour later saying, I just talked to a man from Venus, and uh, there's a lot of credulity involved. Interesting thing is that paradoxically, the more absurd the narrative, the more outrageous the activities of a cult leader, and the more often that predictions and prophecies fail, the more it titans belief among the followers. It tends to drive off the skeptics. I had an encounter with my friend of mine and I, when I was in college, kept going by the scientology thing. We said, well, let's go in and see what it's like. And we listened to the thing, and you know, l Ron Hubbrew was on this show, British talk show, and he was he's supposed to be a neurosurgeon and a physicist, and he came across a complete boob and they had a interviewed by the success Secretary to kind of being given the meage to say that scientology has helped you already, and I I told him exactly what I thought, which was not terribly complimentary and was sort of blown off very quickly. So you know, the absurdity of the of the narrative drives off the skeptics, so you know, it sets up the belief system very well, and go for it.
Speaker 1: In your book, you talked about ancient aliens. Give some coverage for that, and I thought you hit a lot of really good stuff too. I think it's puma punku. I don't know how to pronounce that exactly punk oh yeah, and the bat the bag then battery uh in the Ezekiel's Wheel. And we also you talked about Newbiru and Sitchen and we talked about those topics. But the Ezekiel's Wheel topic I thought was really interesting because I'd heard I think Jason Coleovito had talked about that a little bit. Where the it's commonly referenced as evidence of UFOs and the Bible. In fact, there used to be a TV show called Project Blue Book, which I think was retitled Project Ufo, which was from the guy who did Dragnet. I can't think of his name right now, but anyway, that was part of the intro was Ezekiel saw the wheel, and this is the wheel he saw, and that would show a picture of a spaceship. So can you talk about what the real reference to Ezekiel's wheel imagery was about?
Speaker 2: The Only thing in Ezekiel's vision is that he saw a wheels within wheels and everything else. He saw beasts with four faces, you know, on eagles and lions and a bowl and a human and especially and they and wings and so on, all of which goes to the imagery of the Cherubim a cherub, there's a kind of an angel that could be appear as an ordinary man. It can also appear as the kind of winged lion with a human head that you see in Assyrian monuments. In orders, they had the wings of an eagle, the fore part of a lion, the back part of a bull, and a human head. So this is in orders it had. The bull is the foremost domestic beast, the lion is the foremost wild beast. The eagle is the foremost bird, and the human head gives reason. This is a type of angel. It's a symbolic representation, and the Eguel's vision is a vision of Yahweh and thrown upon the chair of them. It's just And there's just this one little thing that he says, a wheel within a wheel, and that's it. And this has been magnified by so many people. The latest one I can think of as Lewis Farakhan claiming that it's a something was made in Japan and ancient times and so on, as the Great Mother Wheel and so on and so forth, and goes into his whole racial superiority thing of the black people were white people and so on. There's nothing there. It would really help if people who were making notes off of something in the Bible would actually read the Bible itself.
Speaker 4: And so speaking of the Bible, you've got a very interesting chapter, chapter nine, which is called Praying to Aliens, and you discuss some of the UFO religious groups and their beliefs. And a number of years ago I did an investigation through CSI and it was into a group called Share International, headed by a fellow called Benjamin krem and all of his theories about space brothers and space sisters and Matreya. So can you tell us a little bit about this group and another religious UFO groups.
Speaker 2: Well, there was still around a friend of ours who is in to move on visit us and went to the uh uh their convention and uh Montreya's being uh uh you know, Benjamin kream Is is still there doing his thing and uh betraya as actually an aspect of Buddha as one of his incarnations that's to come in the future. That the theophicists boy uh I thought they had that and uh uh, and that Montreya was this young man they found in Indiana. It's turned who became Christiana Murphy. And he later on said, no, this isn't real. It's you know, he's he's been very kind to me and such, but I'm not your Montreya. And uh it of course then got folded into the UFO thanks and some betrayal would obviously come back down from the heavens and this with the our Space brothers and whatnot. So there's a great deal of religious beliefs involved in it. There's even some Christian UFO religions. The seekers in the fifties were one, and we've got now the ordance the hot Lux Lux's land for let there be light. It's there is somewhere in the black forest right now.
Speaker 1: I think it's fascinating because I knew some of the things that you covered, but some of them were new to me. I didn't realize how much of the real idea is still tied into modern UFO religious movements. And that comes from Edward Bullard Lytton, who most of our readers will know from one of two places, probably the It was a Darkened Story Knight was the intro to one of his novels, and the other one is there's a bad writing contest that they have every year about who can write the worst opening sentence for a book.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: I don't think he was a bad writer, but his idea, of which was the Coming Race, I think it ties into theosophy, and it has ties weirdly to the Morning of the Magicians, which in turn is probably the inspiration for von Dannakin. So you get this fictional book that pushes theosophy that's tied to all these ancient astronaut religious movements. Is fascinating to me. How it all comes together where.
Speaker 2: I kind of got interested in the real thing was I saw this thing on the supposed sort of Nazism from the real society, or they had this documentary on the so called History channel. The whole thing is completely fabricated. And the Maria Orsa, who's supposed to be this beautiful woman the cold had contacted aliens and understood the real energy and so on. Is apparently it was apparently made up in warning of the magicians, and they got some portrait of some woman, and you know, you can see her on their now, but I don't know if she ever existed. It probably didn't. The only thing close to a real society is Willie Lay when he is a science popularizer in Rocket Scientist. He fled the Nazi Germany before war the World War two, and he wrote a little essay in the article in Astounding Science Fiction in nineteen forty nine. I believe it was titled Pseudo Science and Naziland, and just mentioned in passing a society called the War Heights cell shoft if I'm not massacring that too badly, which meant a society for truth who were looking for real And he said, yes, that's right. They were based on this book by Volver Lytton, and that's all he says. And out of this again, this grand edifice has been made out of nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we have a really good opportunity here for a TV show for the History Channel. You ready, okay, Real Housewives of Atlantis.
Speaker 3: H I think you got to find a way to sell it somehow. So what we talked about at the beginning of our interview is pretty much does the story here that lots of ways UFO belief and UFO cult followings have lots of the trappings of religion, and they feel a need which we see also with cryptosoology. People like to have something mysterious in their life. And you find this it's sort of you know, this is the last the first time in the you know, in all of human existence is last century or so where most of the great mysteries have now been explained by science, and a lot of the mysterious religion is no longer believed by a high high percentage of people in the world, and so you find people still have that need for mystery, They still have that need for unexplained phenomena, you know, to give them a sense of meaning or give them something that they this feel isn't quite understood. And I think that drives a lot of both cryptozoology and also UFO belief. It's all this, I let you know, the paranormal is appealing, it's it's it makes it keeps people meaning some cases, it gives them something to speculate about. Uh, And we've not you know, especially with cryptosology taking care of all the supposed monsters. You know, we don't. We're war without monsters. Now somebody has to create them, and likewise, WORL without angels, we get UFOs and aliens instead. So I think that's a large part of it. And then there's also this, you know, the bigger issue that people believe anecdotal evidence. They believe I witness evidence first and foremost, and that's where this comes from, is seeing things that they claimed they saw, and therefore they believe, and then now the people listening to them are convinced. But of course, the thing we had to establish really early in the book was that that does not concert evidence of scientific nature.
Speaker 1: Tim is anything you want to add to that.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of that shows up in Paradolia. People read patterns into you know, cloud formations and done explored the you know what, the lenticular clouds that people see quite often as flying saucers or something like that. And you know, we do have a need to create patterns. We are pattern seeking pattern creating species. So that's bound to happen. And if you don't have a governor on it, uh, you know, then you can believe almost anything, which is what science is try and save us from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a recurring theme lately at the end of this year, is the idea that we keep running into, the idea that all theories are equal. And I think what science does is says no, that's not true. There is a way to filter out between what's plausible or possible and what's not possible.
Speaker 3: That's our job.
Speaker 4: So we've got a final question for you both, in particular Tim, because this is your first time on the show. We normally like to ask what's your favorite monster, but given the theme of this episode, we thought we'd like to ask you instead, what's your favorite UFO story.
Speaker 2: As far as absurdity goes. I suppose, I suppose the whole antifice of the reptillions of David Ike would be the favorite one as far as complete fantasy. I don't know if I have a favorite story beyond that.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good one, though it is. Yeah, our last guest was self identifying as reptilian.
Speaker 4: Nicely.
Speaker 1: It's a long story, real You can listen to our previous episode to understand that it's a good story.
Speaker 4: So what about you done?
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess because my father is connected to it, I would say the area fifty one story. I mean, I have a family connection to it. My dad was actually there at the right time, So I guess you would say that's my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Well, I wish we could talk longer, but I think you've got a great book here. And uh, it's a it's a hard thing to dive into something where so many people have so many intense beliefs about such minutia. But you guys did a good job, I believe, and I think our listeners will really enjoy this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean lots of interesting facets.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to decide what to conclude, what to leave out. It could have been twice as long easily.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I've left one or two encounters out. I thought maybe I should have put that one in but uh, you know, I could make a whole book out of just the alien of Buck from the film.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So it's well, I mean project as are many people have, right, I mean I've got to call my shelves.
Speaker 4: Right, So yeah, oh yeah, we know a few people personally, that's right, but not too.
Speaker 3: Many skeptical approaches. That was the one thing I thought different for most of the rest is that, yeah, there are a few individual books made people like Schaefer and others that attack one or two stories specifically. But what we really tried to do with this book is to be very broad in the sense that we cover almost the entire field, and something I did also with the Cryptosology book, which is introduced the rules of evidence and introduce the rules of science at the beginning, to really establish ground rules, which almost nobody really tries to do. And then we didn't have time to talk about it. But the last chapter talked about the psychology of people who believe in UFOs, which is again something you don't see a lot of other UFO group books talk about. So I think we tried to do a lot of different kinds of things that make it interesting.
Speaker 1: For people to read I think you've done a good job, so maybe some people will be getting to some of their Christmas trees or whatever they do for.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us, guys.
Speaker 3: All right, good luck.
Speaker 2: Monstertle.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Monster Talk.
Speaker 4: I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 1: Monster Talk is the science show about monsters, and this week you heard U interview Don Prothero and Timothy Callahan about their new book UFOs kim Trails and Aliens. Monster Talks and official podcasts of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed on the show are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash support. There we have links to our Patreon page as well as a donation button A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 5: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 2: Ezekiel saw the wheel. This is the wheel he said he saw. These are unidentified flying objects that people say they are seeing now.