Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty bill handle here the tariffs I have kicked in. I mean this said. The Retalia is wary tariffs.
Speaker 2: And the big story is China back and forth. China's not backing down. And as of right now this moment, one hundred and four percent against Chinese goods, eighty four percent against American goods into China, and small business is getting nailed.
Speaker 1: What do you do? Well? How about this?
Speaker 2: You have a company that imports cookware from China, Cookwaar made out of stainless steel, and now we're talking about two of the products and geographical locations that are at the top of the heap, and how do you deal with it? My partner, my friend Savil Kellner, and we own Lake Industries, which imports cookware from China. Great Cookwaar, phenomenal cookwear, Savo, why don't we start talking about the benefits of our cook wear and how great it is?
Speaker 1: And now now we're not going to do that.
Speaker 2: What's going on? We talk about this every day? How are we you? You run the business dealing with the price of everything and the imports.
Speaker 3: Good morning Bill, It is so confusing. It's ridiculous. You know, you just mentioned one hundred and four percent, and how we get to that, of course, is the twenty percent on the Fantinel deal, and then there was the thirty four percent that the administration levied, which got us to fifty four percent, and then of course last night the other fifty percent came in, and that's one hundred and four percent. What we didn't talk about and what we're confused about, and confusion dominates the day, is the twenty five percent tariff on stainless steel. Is that part of the one hundred and four percent or is it over and above? And the other interesting thing we just discovered is there something called tariff stacking. So before we got to one hundred and four and we were just at the fifty four percent, if you started with a base product cost for easy math of one hundred dollars, you would add the twenty five percent Global stainless Deal tariff, so that takes you to one hundred and twenty five dollars one hundred plus the twenty five percent. Then you add the fifty four percent on one hundred and twenty five dollars. So it is so confusing. It is changing each and every day. What are we doing. We're communicating with our clients, our dealers in the United States, and we're saying, look, this is changing, and we're going to increase it or decrease it day to day. The best thing we have done so far is, and I don't think you and I have spoken about this, we're establishing an FTC or a free trade zone in our building. And that what that allows us to do right now, and I recommend it for any small business. What allows us to do is is defer two things. Number one, defer tariffs. So when anything comes into our building, our building is going to be officially designated as a free trade zone. We will only play the tariffs once we use the goods or ship the goods.
Speaker 2: The big wait, You're allowed to do that under policy and law?
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Correct? It's under policy and law. And in Nevada it used to be you used to have to be in a designated geographical area. No more. You can actually apply and it's quite an easy application, somewhere between four and seven thousand dollars depending on circumstances, but you can apply to have a free trade zone within your building. You do need to separate that part of the building off, probably with chain link and locked because CBP customers Customs Board Up Protection can come in at any point in time and take inventory. But that to first tariffs. The best part for us as a company is every time we reship something outside of the country, if we wanted to get the duty we paid upfront back, we would have to file a lot of forms they called the duty drawback. We don't have to do that anymore, so we don't pay the duty while it sits in the FTC or the free trade zone, and we we complete a form and saying we ship this to Canada, we ship this to Mexico, which we.
Speaker 1: Let me interrupt for a moment.
Speaker 2: The complexity of this, dealing with the tariffs, not knowing day to day establishing any end around. Are you spending more time dealing with this and even the nuts and bolts of importing and selling our product.
Speaker 3: I'm probably spending fifty to sixty percent of our day doing that. We have to get creative, and the small business person in America has to get creative or they're going to go out of business. And by creative I mean not circumventing the law by any means. You know, last time we spoke, we were talking about Vietnam, if you recall it, we were talking about Cambodia as options to China. Those options are off the table because they're up there already at forty six percent. What we're looking at doing now is going back to the origin of where you and I started working, which was South Korea, because South Korea went back to the administration and played ball, and it seems like if you play ball with this current administration, they'll take care of you. So South Korea is currently at a twenty five percent rate, where China is at one hundred and four percent rate. The issue is it changes hour by hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine I was having a conversation and talking about a twenty five san tariff as the best thing in the world out there, the.
Speaker 1: Best way we could go.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is ridiculous to think about that, and it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It is unbelievable. I don't know how people stay in business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you have to because you're making me money. So spend the day, make me make me some money, please.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is that is number one on my list.
Speaker 2: M Saville Kellner my partner, my dear friend, and we've been partners for what eighteen years already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been way too long. All right, thanks Savil. All Right, I want to talk about homelessness.
Speaker 2: Now. Homelessness used to be the biggest issue out there. Matter of fact, the governor ran on a homelessness issue, Gavin Newsom. Karen Bass became mayor on the back of the homeless issue. Paul Caruso ran against her. It was a homeless issue and that was the number one issue that California voters, Southern California voters thought about until, of course, the economic freefall here and Donald Trump coming in and changing everything. So let me tell you what's going on at southern California. La. La County, particularly La City has been accused of some really heinous accounting practices in terms of the approach to homelessness. Karen Bass has her program and that's Safe La and it is. It's done a pretty good job, ten percent reduction in homelessness, and she came into office. The problem is how much money is it costing, where's the money going, where's the oversight?
Speaker 1: Is there fraud involved? Bill A.
Speaker 2: Saley if I have that pronounced correctly. Newly appointed US Attorney for La announced the formation of a criminal task force to investigate potential fraud and corruption involving the homelessness funds. And the bottom line is there are millions, hundreds of millions of dollars out there and we really don't know how that money has been spent. At best, this is pure negligence and lack of oversight. At worst, this is corruption and criminal activity. And the US Attorney for La Isie is saying, We're going to find out taxpayers serve answers for where and how their hard earned money has been spent. No kidding even to the point where La County, which had been funding the city agency that's LA Housing, what is the housing authority? A homeless services authority has pulled three hundred million dollars because of the lack of accountability, lack of reporting. Correctly, we don't know where the money is going. I mean, it's that bad when La County, this heavily invest in homelessness, pulls three hundred million dollars from LA City based on the fact that money is missing or money has been misspent, and no one really knows one way or the other where it's gone. I usually am not a big fan, particularly a big fan of this administration using its powers to come in and disrupt programs, disrupt entire divisions of government.
Speaker 1: I'm not a huge fan of that.
Speaker 2: However, in this case, you know, I'm surprised that it hadn't been done before. And I'm going to give the Trump administration big kudos on this one. And ASSAILI is an interesting guy. He's a former state assembly member who has just been appointed by the Attorney General to be the US attorney in Los Angeles, and man, he has been speaking out against what he called the homeless industrial complex for years. He has looked at this as a moneymaker, providing homeless services almost as an after after making the money and hiring bureaucracies, and even to the point where and this is I don't think just an accusation. It's being thrown out there for political purposes. The federal judge who has been involved in homelessness, David o'carter, has become his Bailey Wick.
Speaker 1: This is his wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: This is who's known for dealing with homelessness here in La La County, southern California.
Speaker 1: Orange County.
Speaker 2: He issued a scathing report about how the agencies are spending, not spending and appropriately spending money. And our new US Attorney's got to say people are going to go down on this one, and I hope they are. I mean, when you talk about how particularly vulnerable people are the homeless, and they really don't know where to go, and I know that there's a whole philosophy, well, they have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and this is America, and they have choices. There are a lot of people that are homeless that are up in this homeless situation. I'm going to talk about that coming up at seven point fifty this morning. There's a story I want to tell you about that that you probably haven't heard of. There are people that just don't have the wherewithal, they don't have the access. They're caught up in this. They are incredibly vulnerable people. And the quote housing people that are there for the benefit of the homeless, well, a lot of money is being spent, a lot of money is not being accounted for. And as the US Attorney has said, a new guy head's going to roll. If we find there's criminal accusation, heads are going to roll. Heats and roll anyway, just because of negligence. I mean, you hire someone, let's say you're in private business and yeah, you're a division head or you're a CEO or somehow you're a manager, and you hire someone that just is completely negligent. How long does that person stay working for you? You're out, You're gone, Donald Trump, You're fired.
Speaker 1: That's Donald Trump saying that on The Apprentice. By the way, just in case you didn't get that.
Speaker 2: Okay, another little spin on the what's happening with the Trump administration is the freezing of seven hundred and ninety million dollars in federal funding, Northwestern University a billion dollars to Coronell frozen, Harvard nine billion dollars.
Speaker 1: I mean, the list just goes on and on. And why is this happening?
Speaker 2: Well, it's real simple, and that is as you know, and again I have said, there's no agend, there's no secret agenda with President Trump and the Trump administration. You know exactly where he is going to go, you know exactly he's going to follow his promises. And that's exactly what has happened, certainly in terms of what he's attempting to do and one of those is to unravel the DEI programs around the country. He just doesn't want it to happen. It's wokeness, political correctness. He's fought against it for years. Also anti Semitism. Now he is as about as pro Israeli as you can get. Jerry Kushner, his son in law, is an Orthodox practicing Jew. He has a lot of Jewish buddies and business partners over the years, and he's a big fan of Israel. It's not simple and does not like anti Semitism. I mean, one thing he has been has not changed his mind on that one in.
Speaker 1: Decades and decades.
Speaker 2: So the Trump administration is saying, under federal law, on the Title six of the federal law dealing with discrimination, guess what, I'm yanking the funding because these universities are discriminating. Well, wait a minute, what do you mean discriminating. It's the other way around, isn't it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: What Trump is say saying is you are discriminating against white people, and you are because you're pushing for DEI diversity inclusion. Minorities are being given preference. That's illegal. You can't do that. There has to be an even playing field now, we can talk about what's even, what's not even. We can talk about the history of how America has treated minorities, particularly blacks. All of that is certainly open for discussion and should be discussed. But right now, on its face, here's the law no discrimination. And if you have a program that says we are going to give preference to minorities, to blacks, to gay people, that's illegal under federal law Title six. And that is the argument that's being used, is that these universities have enormous number of DEI programs, and they do and anti semitism. That's the other reason that money is being yanked, because the argument is that they are at the forefront of anti semitism in this country, pro Palestinian demonstrations, allowing pro Palestinians to wear masks at demonstrator at demonstrations on campus so they can't be recognized. The Trump administration is freezing seven hundred and ninety million dollars in federal funding to Northwestern University, a billion dollars to Cornell, nine billion dollars to Harvard, freezing those funds. And why is that Because they're being told get rid of your DEI programs and your acceptance of anti semitism, and when you do get rid of those, we'll talk about refunding the money or refunding your programs again.
Speaker 1: And of course the universities are.
Speaker 2: Just spinning because so much of what they do is based on federal funding, the grants, the program I mean, all of it is based on federal money.
Speaker 1: It's really surprising how.
Speaker 2: Much federal money goes into these universities. And so this is all about DII programs. And there's two separate issues here. One is allowing anti semitism on campus, which the universities have in fact done, so you had the president of Harvard had to resign in a couple of other universities because of the allowing of these protests and not doing enough to stop anti semitism, which, by the way, universities have done that forever. Universities have been at the forefront of the anti Semitic movement, or at least allowing of anti semitism for years and years, and that we've known about and because it's well, it's First Amendment, it's political freedom, but it's always goes in that direction. The other one is the DEI programs, and as that pissed off the administration. We're done, the military, finished, corps, falling into line.
Speaker 1: Getting rid of their DEI programs.
Speaker 2: Schools, Well, let me give you an example of where quote political correctness and the two were really tied in together. I went to cal State Northridge, and now we're talking in the seventies. Okay, mid seventies. I'm in cal State Northridge. That's a lot of years ago. And I decided I was going to take a Pan African course. I don't know why, but I was crazy and decided, okay, I'm interested in African studies. So I walked into the classroom. I was the only white guy there. It was all African American students. And those were the days of the Afros, so you couldn't actually walk down any of the aisles because the Afros were touching each other, and I had to walk around the outside or the corners of the classroom on the walls. And I remember walking into the classroom and teacher hadn't been there yet, and in walks the teacher, the professor full the shiki African garb, and he writes his name on the board and whatever it was, some African name that.
Speaker 1: He had.
Speaker 2: Accepted or that he has got he had that was now using and one statement on the board, and it started with the white man is the devil. Now.
Speaker 1: I lasted ten minutes.
Speaker 2: I got out of there, and I'm thinking, how does a university allow this to happen.
Speaker 1: Where that kind of virulent.
Speaker 2: In this case, anti white sentiment is allowed, anti any kind of sentiment, sentiment is allowed.
Speaker 1: Now, the argument was.
Speaker 2: That it was the pendulum swinging back, and in fact, there are some real issues with the way black African Americans were treated. Of course, there are some real issues, slavery being the original sin of.
Speaker 1: The United States.
Speaker 2: The first black man to hit American shores was a slave. I mean, there are some huge issues involved, but teaching the how evil we are I am because of what happened, and that's exactly what the Trump administration is saying, We're done with that.
Speaker 1: That's for one.
Speaker 2: The other one is the entire DEI philosophy program.
Speaker 1: We're finished with that.
Speaker 2: It is the law says we have to treat everybody the same, there will be no preference. The argument, of course, and I had Jesse Jackson to make this argument when I interviewed him, saying, you know, what we are We minorities are given now we're given the benefit. We are now getting better treatment than And why is that? Because the pendulum has to swing back because it was so bad, and the Trump.
Speaker 1: Administration is saying no.
Speaker 2: And so you have political correctness as far as this administration is concerned.
Speaker 1: It's gone. It's gone.
Speaker 2: And we hear of people getting preference in terms of hiring, in terms of education, in terms of scholarships. You know it's going to all be married based. That's what the Trump administration is saying. You're not going to have these other programs out there.
Speaker 1: And so you.
Speaker 2: Now have Harvard losing nine billion dollars in federal funding.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I'm running Harvard, I'm spending on this one.
Speaker 2: I'm going way Wait a minute, Brown University half a billion dollars, Princeton Columbia. I mean we're talking about all manner of programs, not just DEI programs.
Speaker 1: I mean, stop federal funding period.
Speaker 2: Also, the ban on masks on campus because you had these Ivy.
Speaker 1: League university.
Speaker 2: Schools allowing demonstrations on campus right not outside on campus, with students allowed being covered up, their their faces being covered up. Because that was hiding their illegality, and the school was allowing that, and the Trump administration saying we're done with that, We're finished.
Speaker 1: Do I agree with that? You bet you I do?
Speaker 2: All right, This is KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app