Speaker 1: We had a super super interesting discussion on the show today that, but we can kind of reframe it for you in case you didn't hear it. If you did hear it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. When we talked about that show Fleabag, and there's a scene in the show where the woman who is like a like an idiot but lovable, she's at a meeting of a Quaker church where you only stand up and speak if you have something on your mind. So she hates awkward silence, so she stands.
Speaker 2: Up and says, she says, I wouldn't I fear I wouldn't be as much of a feminist if I had bigger tits.
Speaker 1: And so Bailey and I were laughing about that, and we love the show and it's just so funny because it's like so awkward. Who says that in a church?
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's so real life, true to life.
Speaker 1: But so Bailey said, I kind of relate to that. So we started talking and it really got into like a twenty minute straight on conversation about how you know, Bailey feels insecure or like feels like part of her feminism stems from the fact that you don't have your what you would consider a stereotypical Instagram shape. Sure, is that a fair way to say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's fair. I think the problem with the whole conversation was that, like the boob's part was like a metaphor for a bigger issue, So people were getting kind of hung up on like, well, I think your boobs are fine. I'm like, I'm not talking about my boobs. She just mentioned boobs in the clip, which is what like sparked the conversation in the first place. But we we did get a text from somebody that I like, really connected with, and I copied and pasted it so I could keep it. But if it's essentially this is the point I was trying to make. If I had the privilege that coincides with traditional society, I wouldn't rail against society so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you could kind of say, like, if I'm poor, I wouldn't rail against society because then I could afford a smartphone.
Speaker 2: No, it's like, if I had money, I wouldn't rail against capitalism so much. Okay, Sure, But like if I had bigger boobs, I wouldn't rail on, you know, with exactly the patriarch yeah, if I had bigger boobs, I went rail on the patriarchy as much. So that's that was the point I was trying to make. And then the boobs were just a part of it, just a metaphor of a bigger thought.
Speaker 1: We'll see this bubble. And this is where I came in, and I think I needed to explain the bit. First. I told her to calm down. Yes, I said you need to calm down. Then I said you'd be a lot prettier for your smile, and she didn't like that and she got mad. And then she said I was man's plaining, and I said, that's not man's plaining. So I had to tell her what man's blaming is. See, this is funny. Shit. I'm pretty proud of myself that I was able to, like just like spontaneously.
Speaker 2: Because they're used to it. But what do you mean used to it because you do it all the time.
Speaker 1: And man's plaining. Yeah, I probably do man's plain, but I think sometimes I'm just explaining. Like a minute ago. Okay, so here's something we were talking. Somebody complain because Bailey apparently in font say the word Jesus or Jesus Christ too much. On the show, and I said, yeah, it's probably not the best idea, you know, as I said, and she said, am I not supposed to? And I said no, We've never talked about it. It's just kind of like, you know, like if we say bitch too much on the show or ask too much on the show. Yeah, it just kind of feels a little bit like, Okay, I mean, if you're around your five year old niece, do you say yeah at Jesus Christ or yeah, you're a pain in the ass, you bitch.
Speaker 2: See. I think I don't know, but I think it's more like an exclamation where I'll be like.
Speaker 1: Jesus no, and I say it too, because I think there's been a couple of times where like, you guys will pull a prank on me, like hit me over the head with a fake bottle, and I'll say Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I just you know, so anyway, I blamed the Bailey. You know, here's kind of on the radio, like how we So I don't think that's man's planing, That's that's Dave's plaining. And I think the difference is because I've been doing this for a long time and you are a sponge of wanting to learn. Yeah, would you say that's.
Speaker 2: True that I want to learn that about radio? I'll learn about anything, Tell me about anything, and I want to learn about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, the difference between the B seventeen bomber and.
Speaker 2: The between so I thought, I don't care about that, Okay.
Speaker 1: In World War Two they called it the Battle of the Bulge because it was actually a bulge in the German lines, because the Germans were able to resist and push back and that.
Speaker 2: So you that's actually I'm interested in that?
Speaker 1: Are you interested in that? Yeah, Germans were able to push back when we invaded France and then we pushed toward Berlin.
Speaker 2: I think I'm done.
Speaker 1: Now you've done?
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Though, was that man splaining.
Speaker 2: Or a history? Yeah, you were just teaching me something about history.
Speaker 1: Battle of Midway turned the tide in the Pacific War. We all right emails on your rights in Bailey. I was in the car listening you just talk about women's rights. I want to say that you handled that situation so well, so much better than I would have. I was honestly shocked and disappointed by how Dave and Von treated the end of the conversation making you defend yourself. I was actually stunned. I really wish Jenny was there so you wouldn't have felt like you were crazy. Side note the fact that a woman called in and asked what rights do men have that women don't? Seriously, that was bananas. Anyway, you did a great job. I'm so happy that you are on the show, and I think this morning's conversation is a good example of what you bring to the show. Keep on doing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know. I was not making you defend yourself necessarily. I was just trying to add to the conversation. Sure, and instead of like, because there's certain things that I curiously really do want to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was and I read a text to you and off air, but there was one that was kind of like, Bailey, you shouldn't have to be the spokesperson for all women and be like the voice of feminism and explain what it means to these men. And so that was like the situation that I felt like I was put into, which is why I was like, can we be done? Because there's no way, especially after that caller that was like, what men or what rights do women have that or men have that women don't. I was going to be like, can I list the ways like, but I would have to look it up and create a list, and there was no time for me to explain feminism. And it's not even feminism like women deserve rights. Feminism is like we all deserve the same right. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: I think that there's some I saw it on Sharon says so, and it's like sometimes people have the attitude, if they're very liberal or very conservative, they'll be like, not only do I have to win, you have to lose, sure, And I think that that. I think you're the kind of person that's like I want women and men to lose. You don't want men to lose as well.
Speaker 2: Because people think I'm a man hater. I'm not a man hater. I just wish we were all equal, Like I wish we had equality, and we do not. Period.
Speaker 1: I yeah, we don't, Dave.
Speaker 2: I don't even going to say that, I was going to say.
Speaker 1: I wasn't going to defend that. I was going to say that I will defend men because I don't like society's attitude that all men are pieces of shit.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying you do, okay, but I'm saying that there are these are the people I think that are the feminists that say men have to lose and women have to win. So, in other words, you could be a conservative and say I want conservatism to be the only opinion that is allowed. I want all liberals to be out of office. And because now you have a one party society, one party, and nobody could bear a one part if like all conservatives thought were eliminated, you would have runaway liberalism, which would not be good if you had what so that was, that's why we have two parties.
Speaker 2: So I but I do think that you may be misunderstanding these women or maybe they're not speaking correctly and saying like I hate all men. It's it's not I hate all men. It's I hate the patriarchy because it benefits men and it honestly, like it's so overarching, like we live in a man's world period. Like I don't think that's a bold statement to make. And so I feel like if a feminist is like, I'm such a feminist, I hate all men, I feel like what they're what they mean to say is that they hate the patriarchy, not all men. I don't hate men. I hate some of them because they suck.
Speaker 1: Now would it be fair for me to say, like at my dentist, every dentist in my dentist office is a woman, every one of them. And I think that's great. So I do think that there are, you know, very successful women that are not held down by men.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure they had to work harder to get to where they were, because I mean, women couldn't be dentist until recently.
Speaker 1: Now you see how I brought that.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank god you were here to tell me that.
Speaker 1: Now, if you have boobs, then you're I don't even know what to say to get out.
Speaker 2: All I've written down for what we've talked about is feminism.
Speaker 1: You're trying to come up with a title for the show.
Speaker 2: Well, I just write down what we talk about so I can put it in the caption and then come up with what we talk Should I title it boobs?
Speaker 1: I don't care? Okay, let's move on. Actually, there's there's more people that want to talk about this one. But but maybe this is for on the air. Okay, I'm gonna skip that one because it looks like it gets a little bit deep. Let's say, let's do this one day. Bailey vant the other day I was asked about an old I asked about an old ad plane on iHeart It's an ad with David Fallon's voices. I also want to say that if Bailey is self conscious, she certainly doesn't show it, because I get self conscious hearing my emails and text read on the air of the Minnesota Goodbye. Usually I write in to communicate with the four of you, and my words sound better coming out of Dave's mouth than mine. Here comes some questions that I've wondered about. Dave. You've been with KTWB since nineteen ninety three. How many studios and or buildings has KATBB been in in your years with the radio station. Sometimes you talk about your career as though you broadcast from the same studio the entire time we've been in three. We used to be down in Thresher Square, which is still there and it's now a Hilton and a French restaurant. It's right by the stadium and it's on Third Street, seven o eight South Third Street that used to be our building.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Then we were in Butler Square, which is right by Target Center. It's still there. We were there for ninety six to two thousand and three. But we've been here in the gleaming, stealing glass Space Needle Studio two thousand and three. Wow, next one. Why is it called the space needle Studio. Is it something that sounded like it held weight or just sounded fun and became a staple. Well, it's sixty stories of rotating, gleaming steel and glass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in here sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, from a distance, it looks like a needle jutting into the sky with a disc on the top. Yeah, that is our studio. And so that's why we call it the space Needle Studio because that paints the picture of what it looks like. And it does rotate or revolve, and they have it up too high sometimes and that's when centrifugal force comes into play. Yeah, and all of our shit is plastered against the wall like a fucking carnival rise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hate that because it gets It gets me all erky and my belly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we have them slow it down, but then it goes too slow. So then somebody will say, well, you turn it up right, And then they turn it up and then it all of a sudden, The fucking cental force is like Bailey can't get close to the microphone because she's plastered against the wall. Now, if you have a vivid imagination, you're actually picturing all this shit which never happens. Thanks for the time to read this. I'm having a difficult cult time to processing today ASD is not fun sometimes, and your levity helps me forget about the times I feel less than human.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love you. You're not less than human.
Speaker 1: You know. I think we all have that time when we feel like I just should stay inside and not communicate with people.
Speaker 2: I always think tomorrow's another day. I turn into Annie. The sun will come out tomorrow.
Speaker 1: In the show Annie, it's like tomorrow. I love you. You're only a day away, or you're always a day away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, only a day so I love you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You're only a day away, not always a day away, because there's a big difference in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's only I'm pretty sure it's only.
Speaker 1: I love you tomorrow. You're always a day so tomorrow means that you're always a day away. Ere it comes.
Speaker 2: So if your day today sucks, go to bed, Tomorrow's a new day.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I know. Thank you, Jim, appreciate that one. Emails please send to Ryan Show at katiwb dot com. Morning Show crew. Thanks for giving me my daily Doseum oh oh break time. Hold on, We'll be right back. It's funny. I don't know why we say we got to take a break, because we stopped the recording and then instantly join in, so you don't even perceive that there was a break there. But I guess it's just more for me. So I'm going to go back to find where we were in the stack of emails. So going back to yesterday, remember the woman who wrote in and said, my mom has got MS or it was Parkinson's and I'm sorry, I don't remember. My mind is not letting me remember which one it was. But dad won't take care of mom, and they want to find they don't qualify financially for assistance because they make too much money, So she said, give me some help. Rachel writes in with help in response to the woman who needed help finding help for her mom. I work in a senior living community and I help with discharge planning. You can ask your mom's primary care doctor or her neurologist for a connection with a community social worker. You can also reach out to home care agencies. I recommend a DARA, A d a R or Home Healthcare Inc. You can also apply with care Choice MN or try reaching out to the Aging and Disability Resource Department of your county. Hiring privately oncare dot Com is an option as well.
Speaker 2: So, wow, we really got an expert to email in there. That's great.
Speaker 1: Really did. And I knew there would be resources out there. It's just a matter of like where are they. I don't really know. Let's see next one. Juanita says, Hey, y'all want to clarify Bailey is write about kids in and over taking a fishing trip for a field trip. This is what they offered at Oakview Middle School for the end of the school last year. Bob Katz And it is that who it is, and it is basically it's a very very small font but it is a phishing trip and it gives a whole description. I think that's great. I think there's so many people that don't know fishing. Mom and dad never fished, they don't know anything about it. It's a very affordable hobby because you can buy a four hundred dollars fishing pole, or you can buy an eight dollar.
Speaker 2: Fishing stick with a line.
Speaker 1: Well, nobody really does that, but I mean, I guess you could. And it's actually pretty cheap to get into fishing. Get some meal worms and you can catch some sonnies. And sonnies are easy to catch. They're plentiful, they'll bite anything, but they do fight, their feisty little creatures, and then you can learn a bit more about it. But if you've never fished, you would never know. You don't have any of the equipment or the nohow or where to go.
Speaker 2: I've always wanted to do like ice fishing, not because I enjoy fishing, but I feel like being in a little hut in the middle of the winter on top of a frozen lake and you're all bundled up with like your friends or your boyfriend or girl or whatever. I just think that would be cute. That sounds like a fun day to me. I'm sure it would suck, honestly, and that they kind of, like, you know, lose feeling in their toes. But you can always go home.
Speaker 1: No, it's cool. I did ice fishing for a while about fifteen or so years ago, maybe twenty years ago, and I wanted for Christmas and ice fishing, little tent portable house. Yeah, and it was towed on a sled and then you would open it like an accordion and then you would be inside the tent and you have a little chair. And I got an ice auger. Then I got a power auger, and I got a Vexilar ice fish finder. You were into it, oh, I was way into it. And I really really enjoyed. I would tow it out because you know, you take your car out on Lake Minnetonka and in the winter, it's you can drive your car on, Yeah, and there's actually plowed roads on it, and you're so you're safe. There's never a car that goes through the ice unless you're stupid, and you know whatever. And I would open my tent, drill my holes, put the tent over the top, and I would sit there with my Vexilar and I would fish and I would drink like I would listen to Vikings games on the radio. Yeah, and I would have my thermos of hot chocolate and it was just great.
Speaker 2: And that sounds so cute to me, Like that just sounds like a fun day, like very Minnesotan, very like old grumpy old men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was, it was. It was a lot of fun. Maybe somebody will write and take Bailey ice fishing this winter. I gave it up because it was a it was a task to get it already, right. You had to go down and buy meal worms or grubs, and you had to you know, load your sled in the back of the car, and you had to drill a hole, and you had to drive out and unfold it. And it was just it was a task.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I never ever, ever, ever caught fish that were big enough to eat. I always caught little sunnies and little walleyes or not walleyes, northerns. Here's a fun fact, my cousin, This is true. And I probably brought this up to you, Bailey. I know I brought it up on the air. My cousin, Myron Kibbler holds the world record for a saw guy, which is a cross between a sager and a walleye. Mark Myrone Kibbler look it up. Look it up right now, will Yeah. Myron Kibler holds the world record saw guy caught through the ice on Fort Peck Reservoir is it still there?
Speaker 2: Point six pounds?
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 2: Fourteen sorry, fifteen point sixty six on January eleventh, nineteen ninety five, World record SAGI.
Speaker 1: Isn't that amazing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hunting and fishing outfitter Myron Kibler with his world record SAGA at fifteen point sixty six pounds caught through the ice on January eleventh, nineteen ninety five, on Fort Peck Lake near Devil's Creek. The record still stands.
Speaker 1: Is that amazing?
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: My cousin holds the world record.
Speaker 2: He's cute.
Speaker 1: I never thought about it that way, but I mean, you know, I do have a cute cousin.
Speaker 2: Also, this website though, looks like, oh it's there's a Kibbler Outfitting and charter fishing. Do you guys have like a company?
Speaker 1: No, they do, That's what they do. They're they're excellent at it. And his wife, Mary Beth, she's also sportsperson, goes out fishes, hunters, guides. Yeah, and they live on a j swath of land in the middle of Montana. So they guide people for deer, elk antelope hunting, that type of thing.
Speaker 2: How neat, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: It's super cool. I mean, I'm really I don't know Myron well at all. We'll make small talks when we see each other at the family reunion. Yeah but yeah, Kibbler hunting and what is it called.
Speaker 2: It's called Kibler outfitting and charter fishing.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Okay, let's see Kendra. Good morning. Dart Liquors talking about sleep studies and seapaps. Yesterday Dave was talking about it so we could sleep on his back. I knew I had to write in I did the sleep study six months ago and would diagnose with moderate sleep apnea. I knew I would not be able to tolerate the seapap because of claustrophobia, so I looked into discover a dental appliance that moves your jaw forward and opens your airways so you don't snore. It's been life changing. I've gone my whole twenty eight years of life convinced that it's just normal to be exhausted all the time, no matter how much I slept. The only downside is I did have to pay out a pocket about two thousand bucks, but his money's so well spent. I've always loved the show, but this dynamic new dynamic hits different. Love you all and thanks for being such a bright spot in my day. More of a diddler than a dart liquor, Kendra, I'd love to know that about you, Kendra. Thank you. You know, Kendra, I'm glad it worked for you. I actually bought one of those, and it did not work for me. It just did not. It was an appliance. I went to a dental specialist something and they form fitted and I could not wait for this fucking thing to come in and I put it in my mouth and I don't remember why it didn't work, And then somebody who worked at the oldies station said, oh, yeah, that ruined my teeth. It ruined my teeth. So I didn't use it, but at the same time, so appreciate the suggestion and so happy that it worked for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can I make an observation that maybe when you're facing like an issue that you want to fix, you look for a quick fix rather than something that could me Yeah you okay, because like I've said, you should get a CPAP, But then you're like, yeah, but then I have to do a sleep study, so it's not a quick fix versus like I now, I can't think of anything, or like when that one person texted in to like kind of roast you for having that like saggy bit over your eyeball. Yeah yeah, And they were like, you got to change this, and you're like, yeah, maybe I will. Haven't followed through on that.
Speaker 1: I'm really good at procrastinating, because here's the great thing about procrastinating, you got the rest of the day free. It's true.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. I like that one.
Speaker 1: Hello Morning, crew, Dave, Genny vont Bailey, you can use my name. I just heard on the Minnesota Goodbye about the mom with lou Grigg's disease. My family found out exactly twenty years ago in May that my dad had the same disease. My brother and I were the literal bedside nurses for him all hours of the day and night, and still needed help from outside. I barely remember, but it was called age well home care. Most foreigners, mostly foreigners, I see, mostly foreigners who come to ease the strain during the day. Oh, I think that's true. When my mom was in a group home, it was all a bunch of Jamaican women that took care of her, and they did a great job. I always knew that when I went to see Mom, she never the place always smelled clean, and everybody was like clean and tidy, And so I think there are a lot of people who are foreign that work in healthcare like that. Could this be could also be tied to hospice. It sounds like someone should have a hard pep talk with the dad that the disease literally stands for always losing something? No, als, is that what it stands for?
Speaker 2: Making a joke?
Speaker 1: They think they're making a joke. Yeah, this could be the first sign of who's by your side? Who slithers and SLINKs away? This could be the dad hasn't faced any reality yet or might come around, or might be his choice in the end that he has to live with anyway. I'm a first time writer. Thurston Thurston, I appreciate that. I love that name. Yeah, let's see, I'm going to page up a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it Thurston Howell. Wasn't he one of the characters.
Speaker 1: On You want to hear my Thurst and howl impression? Yeah, lovey, there's no way that we are going to ever get off this island with these idiots in charge. Lovey, I'm gonna call my broker and they're gonna send a yacht over to pick us. That's my Thurston hell name that show friends what he was? Yeah, Ross, Rachel, Phoebe, Thurston, Jeffrey, and Thurston Oh to Thurston's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that happens sometimes. Like a kindergarten class, you have Thurston H and Thurston B.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you get my weird sense of humor, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're like, what are they talking about? So here's an interesting little just a little tidbit. I coach radio shows around the country and I help out shows because you know, they a lot of radio people are they've never really done mornings before. So I'll get in the phone and I'll be like, yeah, listen to your show yesterday. This was really good. It was really funny when you did this.
Speaker 2: And can you actually listen to it? Oh yeah, okay, oh yeah. If you're like I listened to you.
Speaker 1: Oh well, of course I listened to it. Yeah. I mean I take careful notes and I spend like three hours listening to their show and I make notes. So then I get on the phone with them, and so the reason I bring up Gilligan's Island is because years ago, twenty years ago, when I did it, I said, well, you know, you all got to be different. You can't always agree like you can't get it like this show this morning, we disagreed on whether chicken nacho's were good or garbage, and I said they're garbage and you said they're good, And I said, it's kind of like on Gilligan's Island, everybody was different. If everybody was stupid like Gilligan, it wouldn't have been a good show. If everybody was like a diva like Ginger, it wouldn't be a good show. But then I had to update that reference for people who don't remember Gilligan's Island, so I updated it with friends. I said, if everybody was as dumb as Joey, wouldn't have been a good show. If everybody was as anal as Ross, it wouldn't have been a good show, or as ditzy as Phoebe. So this really lends nothing to the conversation you die are having.
Speaker 2: Yeah it don you like push people and you say, oh, we really like you just said that you appreciated how I understood your humor. That's I think the segue I don't know, we don't really this this goodbye is going off the rails in terms of segues.
Speaker 1: And I like it. Yeah, I like it so And as a matter of fact, I think we're just about done in time. So yeah, we're about done with the Minnesota Goodbye. But I hope you enjoyed it. Thank you so much for listening, and send your emails into Ryan Show at kadiwb dot com