Speaker 1: Is it really so bad for Grandma?
Speaker 2: If she dies?
Speaker 1: Won't you spend eternity in the fields of bliss? Oh yeah, we're going to the fields of bliss. But the days they're past in frolic most joyousness.
Speaker 2: Just frolicking, that's it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you wave ribbons through the air, but mainly frolicking. Doesn't that get old?
Speaker 3: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman.
Speaker 1: And I'm Joey Agelfield producer.
Speaker 3: Engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dotchavorine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Joey, What if we knew for certain that an afterlife exists but only for the genetic few? A new novel by Today's Guest explores this question and its dystopian implications.
Speaker 1: We're delighted to talk with Don Scheckter, an author, filmmaker, and film and media studies professor at TUTS University. His debut novel is Ascendants. Don. Welcome to amusing Jews.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Happy to be here.
Speaker 1: You're a lifelong fan of speculative fiction. What appeals to you about the genre? Part of it is just cultural.
Speaker 2: With my family in that I grew up and my father and my older brother were watching Star Trek one day for a while and I was like, this is slow and boring. I don't get it. Can we watch something else? And then somehow it's stuck. And I do that now with my son as well. Number One, it allows us to tell stories about what we're thinking about right now. Right, So when you look at sci fi throughout history of sci fi, which isn't that long, right, one hundred and thirty years or so, you know, you're able to look at the stories of sci fi that were written at the time and see it as a reflection of what people were doing then, or like let's go with the Star Trek example, like in the sixties, all about the upheaval and societal issues with racism and cultural and identity, and allowed you to tell stories in a way that wasn't potentially wasn't confrontational to people who weren't ready to have those conversations. So you're able to say, oh, you know, it's the classic black on white one side, white on the other side, and white on one side and black, you know that thing. But what it also does is it allows society and this is something I've been researching and looking at the last few years. It allows society to rehearse a potential future. So it's so it's not just about what's happening right now in our society, or if you look at sci fi from twenty years ago, it's about we're where are hidden anxieties and what's coming and allows us to say, Okay, if this thing that's coming in our future came today, how would we all act and behave right? Like you know, And I've been charting this sort of This is gonna be a long story, guys, but I've been charting this sort of history a research project where even going back to like post war so post World War two era, like the fifties were all about the atomic age, surviving and living in the atomic age and about so it was the fear of that the atomic bomb coming, and it was the fear of in the US of like outside ideology communism coming in and disseminating and you know, converting our youth like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or something like that. Then in the sixties and seventies it moved on to like stories about ecological disasters of the future, when they sort of planet Earth as a whole became, you know, the beginning of like climate change issues, and also about racism and immigration. Like I grew up, I was born in seventy nine. I grew up with like Alien Nation and like Soling Green, and these were things about again an environment and racism. Planet of the Apes is all about racism. And then what I love is like one of the inspirations for my book of Sentence was actually a movie called Strange Days. It's all about what happens at the turn of the century, and it's about memory and who controls technology, and it was I remember, like I even had a job where I was compliance for Y two K for a company. We thought planes were going to fall out of the sky. So for like not a decade, but almost a decade, everyone's like, oh my god, the computers are going to collapse. The infrastructure that we don't quite understand is going to die, right, So then all the stories were kind of about conspiracies of infrastructure and y two K fears we survived that two thousand came right, and everyone's like, oh, we survived, this apocalypse had never happened. Great, So let's go back and have a little bit of nostalgia. Let's look back at how we got to the future. So a show like Star Trek Enterprise was developed, which ended up failing for a lot of reasons. But one of the reasons is it came out I believe right after don't quote me on this, right after September eleventh. We weren't in the mood as an American society for nostalgia. Right What we were in the mood for was, oh, my god, we are not about to have the apocalypse. We need to survive in the apocalypse. So then you had stories and it's not very easy for me to get into film and TV more than books, which is ironic, but like Battlestar Galactica and Lost and all these these stories about or even zombie stories walking dead, Like society has collapsed. What does it mean for us as society to hold onto institutions. Then we ended up in an era where storytellers were kind of moving towards religion and spirituality to explain the sci fi. Part of sci fi, okay, like Lost Or it wasn't like the or any of the mysteries that are in sci fi stories. They didn't have sci fi endings. And this is when I started to think about my book. Ascendance is like the authors of these stories would just say, oh, it was actually a religious thing, a god thing, an angel thing, and I'm like, I don't know that I like that. You know, I'm culturally Jewish, you know, but I'm not. You know, I grew up at a time, you know, I grew up in New York City. I was very kind to the city post nine to eleven, and like I was, and I was in my early twenties, and you know, the sort of extreme ideologies that were really apparent at that time, or at least that like I think American society was asleep about until then, was sort of jarring for young twenty year old. And then we get to sort of the age of like AI and like robots coming right which takes us to today where we are the rate of technological innovation, especially when AI right now is so vast and so it just hitting us every few weeks something crazy is happening, not over the course of ten years that we don't know what the stories are going to be that reflect our current time, Like our stories right now can't keep up with the change of technology. So long winded, that's kind of like like an overview of what I'm looking at and what I'm currently studying and thinking about. But that's the reason I love sci fi, which was the original question, is because it allows us to tell stories about, you know, who we are as a society. It allows you to tell stories about people in extraordinary situations and envision what you know, me as a viewer, as a reader would do in those almost seemingly impossible situations that are possibly going to happen to someone one day, maybe in the near future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think what you're saying too is at the core of any good story in general, and certainly sci fi is the human element. So even if let's say, you know, classic like Twilight Zone is dealing with the Cold War kind of hysteria and xenophobia, those stories are still very relevant because now we're in another age of xenophobia and the same human emotions and psychology are in play. And one of my favorite examples of that is actually Gray Bradbery's the Martian Chronicles because he didn't even try to make anything scientifically reasonable people farming on Mars and doing all kinds of earth things. I think he called it like Iowa on Mars or something like that. But they're so relatable as human stories, and you know, what are humans going to do in these kind of situations and how do people react to each other and behave in society, so that these stories can persist even beyond kind of the ridiculous premise that sometimes can appear, right, And that.
Speaker 2: Was something that was important to me, is that when I was developing the story and the mythology with sentence, people have this misconception that sci fi is all about some cool spaceship or weird technology like that was like the original germ of like of like, okay, there's this. I had an idea of a scene in my head and it was pretty disturbing and like, well what does that mean? And then it took me two years to develop sort of the technology and what the world look like. But that's not a story. Whether it's sci fi or romance or whatever. What do they do now? Not pickleball, romance, hockey, whatever, romance, whatever it needs to be about you know, people, about the relationships from person to person or person to institution, whatever, But it's about the people. So you know, for me, it's like, once I set up the sci fi elements, I really had to focus on, well, what's the actual story. And then that's why, like the heart of Ascendance is, you know, it's it takes you through different povs, different characters who sort of adventures, all kind of come together towards the end of the book, not the end, and propels them, propels the story forward. But it was important to me to have a family. So I've got like this fractured family. I've got a mom, she's a single mom doctor who's trying to sort of balance the world of ascendants and biomasses. And I've got her rebellious daughter who ends up being a major character, and a young and a young and her young daughter who becomes the target of the institution in the book, And it was about their trauma and their ability to get along or not get along with both the world around them. That seems crazy to us as readers and each other. And that's one of the reasons. You know, they're Jewish in the book. You know that was important to me at the time of their genesis is to give them that kind of identity. There's Muslims in the book and Christians and non affiliated because in the world of the book, there's not a lot of religion. And I really wanted to have a book and a story that commented on religion by making it about science, so that it wouldn't be offensive to people who hold religion. Dear it was a way for them to think about that without being you know, attacked for it.
Speaker 1: Enjoining the show, click like and subscribe.
Speaker 3: What can you tell us about your novel's division of society into ascendance and biomasses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the general conception is that, you know, in this in this world, it's the near future, so it's not long from now. You know, a very successful scientist through and you discovered this through the book, through a series of discoveries of technological innovations, seemingly discovers that first that everyone can ascend. And what does this end mean is that the institute, this powerful organization, and I think we're all used to a handful of powerful technology organizations owning our futures in a way is able to quote prove the afterlife there's technology, you know how right now we're talking about people implanting themselves with chips, you know, and things like that to communicate with their devices. You know, it starts with people on a global scale putting what's called packed thoughts in their system, but basically receivers and transmitters between people and technology all around. Well, think about you're told there's an afterlife, You're told you're going to go to heaven, but you can't prove it, you don't know, you just have to believe it. Well, now I can go into what's called a viewing room with other people. I can see someone a volunteer who's about to die, about to be euthanized essentially, and the technology lets me experience their experience beyond their corporeal their body right and see get a glimpse of what happens. The technology allows you to see it, to feel it, to experience it so viscerally that you, as a person cannot deny it. So the question is what happens society when you when everyone can go and physically be somewhere and experience what another person experiences when they die and a little bit after, what does that do to society? So that's part one. Part two is well, now because of a certain mythological mythology is not the right word, but certain historical events that happen, it's then announced that we made a mistake. And only a small percentage of the population. So think about the existential dread of people to be that close to like certainty of an afterlife and the comfort of that for everyone. Now the dread of no only a small percentage can ascend. And so what do the ones who were quote chosen, the ones who can genetically ascend? How do they treat the people who can't? And how do the people can't? What do they do? You know? And in the book explores more things like if you're an ascendant in any of those two time periods, like does that make you happy? Does that make you say, you know what, I'm having a bad time with work or love? Do I just want to kill myself? And sorry for the Christmas? And ascend? What does it do with children? I mean, so there's a lot there sort of think about how you and how society would react to something that strong kind of smacking the face, and what would happen to religious organizations as well, and a.
Speaker 3: Certain kind of survivor's guilt, right knowing that you are the chosen.
Speaker 2: It could be. But the question is, would people really do that or would they say, you know, and I realized we're amusing Jews here and we're talking about the chosen, so I don't mean in the Jewish context, but you know, would people really have that guilt or would they be like, no, I'm special, I was born this way, which I think a lot of not everyone, but I think a lot of people believe that regardless of their religion, and it's solely because of the religion they were brought up in, and they're like, no, no, I'm special. My people are special, You're not.
Speaker 1: So I don't know that it would change the novel does center around a Jewish family? Is there something personal about that?
Speaker 2: There is some of my family history that's kind of embedded in the story of a sentence. You know, we talked about. You know, there's a rabbi who's the father of Rebecca who starts, you know, early on in the book, and there's an incident that happens to him when he comes into encounter with the Jacob's Institute that mirrors my own family's history, where my great great my great great grandfather in Vienna was thrown downstairs by the Nazis. And my grandfather was actually a philosophy student in Vienna, and he had an amazing story that I think some of the themes in his life made into this book, and I'd love to make that the movie one day. But you know he was on the legend of my grandfather was that he was in school and you know, a German team came to play them in soccer. This is pre war, and they poisoned his team, right, and they all got sick. Then once Hitler invaded, he was part of a Jewish community that was debating assassinating Hitler. Half of the group wanted to assassinate and the other half said, if you do this, it'll if you try to do this, it'll only things worse. And so they threat and to report. And they were going to report the ones who were going to try to assasay Hitler when Hitler was coming through. So he ended up escaping to what was been a Palestine. In Israel, worked as a guard at a girls' school. There was an incident with an attack and the British, who controlled Israel at the time, I came to investigate, found out he spoke German. They recruited him to be in the British army. They recruited him to be in the German Army as a spy for the British, and he ended up in the desert taking pictures for the British as like a German colonel. And then he went on after the war to be I think part of the resistance in Israel. I'm not quite sure, owned a film shop. Eleanor Roosevelt came into I mean, he had an amazing life, but it all kind of circles back into my feeling of like the amount of hatred and the amount of extreme ideology that like the Nazis had and had towards someone in my family who was this old guy that they just threw down the stairs and killed, you know, is something that's you know, definitely, you know, is embedded in the work that I did here. So I think it's hard to escape any story from the experience of an author or a creator and their family history.
Speaker 1: A lot of great science fiction warns that just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. Where does your book fit into that literature?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, it sounds like I could be anti technology or anti innovation, anti you know all that I'm not. I'm like the first person. I was like one of the early people to get a vision pro. I love technology. I use AI all the time, hopefully responsively, you know, so I and it's not something that we can put in a box. You know. It's like modern day the calculator. You know, there are people like, don't use it, you shouldn't use it. It's like saying my account should shouldn't use Excel years ago because it does the math too fast or something like that. But the book does warn not necessarily about technology, but about extreme ideology and believing something in such a pure fanatical way that you can't see something else or think or challenge it. You know, I was talking with I also do a podcast called No When Scenario, and I'm prepping for there's a conversation with my co host about Disclosure Day, Steven Spielberg's movie that recently came out, and we're talking about how it's like subtly his most political film. Because the film ends and I don't want to spoil anything, but with a message of like listen, like listen to each other it's very political. It starts with like the us UFC fight red hats, very like if you look at it a certain way, you see one side of America and it ends what's maybe another side of America and the messages people need to listen and stop being consumed in their own path and so, you know, I think it's about we need to be empathetic and we need to challenge systems and we need to challenge and well not challenge, but like look at who who is in charge of the technology that's being developed. What do they put putting into that technology? Because technology right now is changing public opinion, what we believe, what we think, what's real? Right? I mean, you know Twitter x Twitter I thought was a great utility of public resource and it got taken over and it's I avoid it like the play because it just junk right now. And is that because it was too rare? You know? Is that because there was a let's not regulate any of it in response to it was too regulated? You know, I'm not quite sure what the deal is there, but I think we have to sort of think about what are the guard rails we as a society are willing to endure so that the technology doesn't run a muck, or that our realities are not controlled by a few billionaires or a trillionaire. And nothing against co you know, again, nothing against corporations and profit and all that, but there needs to be the sort of checks and balances.
Speaker 3: You say your novel in the not too distant future of twenty sixty, a time that's both familiar and even more dystopian than the present. Why did you choose twenty sixty?
Speaker 2: Funny enough, I'd been working on this book for so long. It used to be like twenty forty, but that's when I started, I think, in two thousand and six or two thousand and eight with this idea. So I'm like, oh god, that's way too soon for now, fourteen fifteen years from now. We can imagine. The reason I chose something relatively soon is because the world of the book, even though there's this whole, this powerful institution, we can imagine that I didn't want like some futuristic, unbelievable spaceship fearing society because you know, which is funny, because I love About About five. We're talking about Deep Space nine before the show. You know, I love those shows, So it's kind of funny that I'm not like a space traveling alien cast kind of thing. I wanted something that people could recognize and just poort over, like one idea, one germ of a tweak to society that would flip everything on its head. So it would be something that's like, whoa, what would happen to us right now in twenty twenty six or twenty twenty seven if we were able to sort of tap into something, what would change? So there are things that are very different in that world in the inn ascendence, but a lot is very similar. There's still waiters and waitresses and schools and you know, cars that you know pollute and things like that. People still eat normal. It's all that. It's just slight tweaks to make it more believable. It was important to me to write something that was like somewhat believable with this one more fantastical core idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as you mentioned, there are still rabbis and the moms and priests and so forth, not.
Speaker 2: A few like it starts off right away. I think, like you know, I say, like a, I don't remember the exact line, but it's like a priest, a rabbit, and a mom walk into a church. You know, you know, it sounded like an old joke. They're there, but they're far and few between, because part of the conversation about this is that, like, wow, could society really abandon organized religion so quickly? Maybe if you were shown and you felt proof, and you knew in your core this was real, maybe you would abandon that religious organization that's telling you how to eat and live and what to do to be to go to heaven or no heaven, because you'd go with what you could feel.
Speaker 1: I'm also a pretty big fan of the show Severance, and I feel like there's some similarities there with you know, with your book, although it seems like your book was probably started a little bit earlier than that process.
Speaker 2: Was a decade or two before Severance came, but there is because it's about like Severance is about, you know, if the technology that its founders created work the way they wanted to how right? Very often, like Terminator right from a couple decades ago, was about technology run a book, modern storytelling, and like you're bringing up, Severance is about technology that's working exactly as created and affecting offs. So I think that's an interesting change the other thing.
Speaker 1: That I see in both Severance and Silo and in your book, there's also like a thing about you know, everybody believes this truth and then there's like another truth that not everybody knows about. It seems like there's like a falsehood to it, and I'm wondering what that's like. That seems like that's a big part of you know, the aforementioned shows, and I feel like maybe it's going to be a big part of you know, where the book is going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, mystery is important to me. One of the things that was important to me when finalizing the novel. And it's gone through a lot. It's got a big history. It started out as a feature film script that I thought I could make, but then I couldn't find my own eighty million dollars in two thousand and eight to make it. Then it became a series of an anthology of short films that take place in that world because I want to develop it. So I had a film of three short films that another short film that take place in the world. Then I was told, this is great, you really should turn into a book so that you can make it into a TV show. So when COVID hit I turned into a book, but it was important to me that to have mystery there and to not have it so like right in your face at first about what's happening. It's funny disclosure to day, Like that first hour, it's very much. It takes you if you guysn't seen it, but like it takes you right into the story and you're like, wait, I need some time, like you're trying to figure out what's happening. I like, as a kid, I remember picking up Dune in fourth grade. It's not really a book for fourth graders, but my older brother got me to all this sci fi stuff that was beyond me. And ever since I'm in fourth grade, I've read that book one or two times a year, and for all these decades, there's always something I get from it, or some seed of something that picks up later that I might not have noticed when I was younger. So my hope is that Ascendance is a book where you get to the end and you're like, oh, wait, yeah, I get it, but do I get it? Let me go back and see what's planted and what's there to sort of wrap it in so that that you get a little bit more the second read. I don't make more money if you read it a second time. I just personally find it more enjoyable when the seeds are planted but you don't necessarily know where they're headed. And then when you get to that like last third of the book and it's all coming together, you're like, wait a second, wasn't this all and then you see it. I like that experience. Otherwise, it's like the analogy I have is like a lot of storytelling sometimes is like a young child telling a story in school. This happened, then this happened. Then this happened, then this happened. It could be good. You know, the movie projectail Mary and the book Project I read projectail Mary first. I enjoyed it, so the movie thought it was a fine adaptation of the book, and I really enjoyed the book. But I will never read it again, I think because I had that experience. This happened, this happened, this happen, this happened. I was riveted. I liked it, but once it was over, I'm like, I don't think there's anything more for me to go back and revisit. So I prefer the types of storytelling where there's something to go back and revisit.
Speaker 1: The sentence deals a lot with tensions between technocratic determinism and human agency. Is this a commentary on the dangers of AI?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a commentary on the dangers of AI. And it's hard for me to answer this without potentially spoiling the point of the book at the end, so I just keep going back to it's a commentary about the dangers of not having empathy and not questioning institutions and ideology. I don't think it's about AI. There is AI in there, There is advanced technology, and it could be read that way for me personally, that's not the intention. If someone gets that out of it.
Speaker 3: Sure, speaking of AI. Ray Kurtzweil, an AI pioneer, calls your novel a provocative thought experiment on the future of consciousness that underscores the moral imperative to guide our technological ingenuity toward the common good. Are you at all optimistic about tech companies and governments following this moral imperative?
Speaker 2: Once I'm optimistic, I think I'm stupidly hopeful that we will find our way out of it. Maybe it was luck that we survived the atomic age and nuclear destruction. We still might not Maybe it was aliens who prevented those missiles. Know, disculature may be happening, But you know, I am, I am hopeful that we as a people can prevent the worst of the worst from happening, that at some point the fever breaks and that we're able to empathize with one another with at making this too political. There's definitely this tension between empathy and what's mine and should be mine? And I think that transfers to technological advancement and innovation. So will it happen now? What happened with this administration? You know, governments are always what they're lagging twenty thirty years in terms of regulation, Like are we still talking about regulating I don't know what, but we're not talking about regulating AI right now. Could you know a country decide to create an unleashed an AI that just gets into a sis destroys everything, you bet? Am I hopeful that we survive that somehow? I think so? Am I optimistic? I don't know, it was hopeful and optimism the same thing. There might be a little nuance there.
Speaker 3: One of the things that could come out of this whole moment that we're in is that AI is teaching us how to be human or what being human is, because we're seeing kind of the absence of it in the AI art and other things that are kind of crapping all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yes, there's AI slop. However, I take sort of a slight objection to that because I think, you know, we're still in the early phases of AI. There was a ton of AI slop what a year or two ago, and now things are so much better. I use it every day as a tool, not as a content tool, but as a you know, it used to have a blank page, and now you don't need to have writers or creative design writer's block. You can start, you can describe what you want and have that written or visualized there, and then you tweak it, you edit it, and I think that's a wonderful thing. I think what's interesting is that that the AI might be telling stories for us. So that's part of it that's interesting. But there's a world where you can look at this, where AI relieves such burden of labor that with the right conditions of political and societal will, the human race turns towards art and music as what's valued and what people can do so that their creative passions. Like that's super optimistic next generation, whereas like, oh, we don't need money anymore. People just pursue their passions. And everyone watching that in was the nineties eighties were like, huh, Like how is there no money? Like how do you have like a you know, a janitor cleaning a ground? Like how is that their passion? So if people were skeptical, skeptical of that, but if the technology can relieve us of some of those burdens and society appreciates that, then maybe we all can go out and survive and thrive, you know, doing what we love doing. And so maybe it does lead to it to utopia. Maybe we're all saying it's going to lead to the end and destruction, but maybe it leads towards utopia. It might take a long time to get there. Maybe not. Now you're sounding like Ray Kurtzwow, Ray is interesting. I mean, I've known obviously his work on the Singularity tremendously influenced this book. When I was younger, I was the second unit director, was my official title on a film called Transcendent Man. That came out about right. He lived right around the corner from my old studio, so Barry told me who directed the film. When he couldn't fly out or when he needed a backup crew or whatever, I'd go out with my team. We'd film for a number of years. So I'm sure I was influenced by him. Just so happened last year, after years of not seeing him, he and his team came back into my studio to do some work for streaming and filming, and I'm like, oh, any chance I could slip the right and take a look. So you guys have the arc the advanced copy, but his quote is right on the top of the on the sales copy and on the inside as well. So I was really grateful for him and his team to take a look and agree to do that because having his voice, you know, the praise quotes in the book are from him, from the Science Advisor, from Star Trek, from Derek Tyler Attack who's a writer for Star Trek, the Manhattan book review. I believe it just really meant a lot to have these voices sort of in support of it, And so that's really helpful because you know, this is my first book, I've been working on this story for twenty years, you know, but you know it's hard to I'm not known for being a novelist, so getting it out there is a real challenge, even with a publisher and a publicist. So having ray support and other people's support has been has been a big plus for it.
Speaker 1: You already kind of told us about the history of it, but you know you are also a filmmaker. May we see in the sentence movie someday.
Speaker 2: I hope there's an ascended something one day, whether or not it's a movie, a TV show, or a lunchbox. I loved when this book was done and out in the world and the story was there. It was a process to write it. It took a while to write a book, and someone who's primarily you know, I run a production company. You know. I've done films, produced films that made my own. Those happen faster than writing a novel getting it out, so I was antsy to get it out. It literally has just been three months and two days since the book was released, and I was meeting with someone about potentially selling it for a show, and I'm like, I gotta keep moving. I gotta keep moving and she's like, it's only been three months. It's a book, Calm down, and I'm eager. I do think this story lends well to a TV show more so than a movie, because there's a lot of story to tell in the book, and there's a lot more stories to tell in this world. And I do want to continue the series. I have the ideas right now for the next couple of books, so if it does well, I do want to continue the series a novel form. But ultimately, in my heart, this is a TV show, So I would love to get it out there and picked up by the Apple TVs, the hbos of the world, because that's where genre genre TV is hard enough as it is, but that's where they're Those two in particular, are really spending the time in the resources on it. So that's kind of half of my time now, beyond my job as Charles Remediate CEO, as teaching when I teach, as podcast hosting, beyond selling kind of get the book out there and doing podcasts and all these things. I am trying to now get out there and get a team together to get this book option. Because even I've had a lot of good reviews, a lot of great reviews from people people called it like one an early reviewer called it a sci fi game of Thrones. I loved it. I don't think so one bit. I don't see the connection, but I will take it. It's great. It's a great quote. I printed it out. It'll be with me when I signed books on tables. But the reviews that were more critical, almost every single one of them has said this would work better as a TV show. I love the idea, but I don't like four characters or whatever it is. But this would be great on TV and I would watch it. So I have a slide deck, and I have these are the good reviews, and the next slide these are the bad reviews, and they all say make it a TV show, make a TV show. There should be a movie. I'd love to see this on a screen. And so that is really great to see because you can't expect every review to be perfect. But if people who maybe worse mid to quote my kids on the book still want the story and they want to see it visually, then I think that's a great sign. So I'm really hoping I can continue the conversations I had years ago pre COVID about getting this seen on screens.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope it happens.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks for joining us my pleasure. I'm glad I was an amusing Jew and.
Speaker 3: To our audience, now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 1: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe,