Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. And the American way is we stand up. We stand up to evil. We stand up to people who don't care about the lives of our children, our wives, anybody in our family, anybody in the community. And people better understand real quick, that's what's going on with the left. They don't care. They are pro criminal to the point where, hey, your child, they're an acceptable casualty. They're part of an acceptable casualty rate. So what the left has done is it has carved out this this big, gaping hole in Colorado criminal law. What's left of it after the Left got done right. But it's carved out this big hole so that some of the most dangerous offenders, killers, kidnappers, the most dangerous offenders can just get out of jail, just be released, not have to even go to trial. And it's something I was completely unaware of until this shocking story out of Aurora that we've been talking about so much over it the last few days where you have this guy, it's on video, trying to kidnap this girl from an elementary school, a convicted sex offender, by the way, also happens to be transsexual. But that's not at the heart of this story. And so what happens now now? You know, there are already grave concerns about the recently elected Democrat DA in Rapo County, and we've talked about some of those before. But now this individual isn't even going to have to stand trial. Why because as I understand, and we're waiting for the DA to comment, which the DA just doesn't seem interested in doing. Right, you think if you could defend yourself on something really important to the community, that you would do that and then probably not appear if you couldn't defend yourself in any case, in any case, So the Left has inserted in this law this provision that, yeah, hey, if you can, if you can quote prove that you're not mentally competent to stand trial and that it ain't going to get any better, you're not going to be quote restorable, Well, then guess what, they can't even put you on trial, and they got to let you go so that this is obviously an immediate threat to public safety at the highest level. You're going to learn about some more of these stories today on the show. You're going to learn about You're going to learn about a recent case down in the Spring is really good prosecutor, but it was one of these where the defense that they're able to quote prove that this person's mentally incompetent and not restorable, gets off killing a woman at a gas station. I mean, we got to be aware of this and we got to find a way to fix it. So we're going to spend some real time on that today and Michael Doherty really happy to see this. We've had him on the show before. He's been great. The DA Up and Boulder Democrat is going to join us at five oh six to talk about a piece he wrote to along with Michael. Another great DA happens to be a Republican DA and my good friend John Callner now my law partner when John was This piece was written when John was the DA for a rapo Douglas, Albert and Lincoln and it's talking in part about this big, gaping, dangerous hole. So Michael Daugherty will talk to us at five oh six about that. So we got that to do today. And this is one of those topics. You know how this works on this show. This is one of those topics where it's a cause we're talking about. It isn't enough. We need to find a way to change it. And one of the things I'm most proud of of our show over the decades on air is we can point to a lot of real concrete changes that have been made because the listeners of this show rallied around and once they heard about it all on area. This is a great launching pad get the information into Colorado's bloodstream. But once people hear about it, they say, no, this isn't right. This has to change. And so this is one of those And we've got a great track record of actually making concrete change, and this is one we need to edit that list three or three seven, one, three eight, two five five the number text d an five seven seven three nine. Let me open up with the KUSA version of this story. Before I get to that, Ryan, I want to assure you I'm okay. You were on air, so you were not part of this concern. Earlier, I came in for a meeting, had a meeting at three o'clock today at the station. So I'm walking in and people are like, man, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I feel pretty good, but I'm I'm all covered in what appeared to at least one person to be blood. I had no idea it wasn't blood. Obviously, I feel great. It was red ink from a red pen. But it's like, look at my hands, right, And this is after an hour of scrubbing. Oh wow, So my clothes on, my clothes, everything, so it looked like d been shot and I was completely unaware of it. So meeting got canceled and I drive home and get all these new clothes on, try to scrub everything else. I'm sitting on a towel now in my car because it's all over my car. But here's what I learned, and we need to put it on the bar Clint Eastwood, Right, A man's got to know his limitations. I am not meant to work on cars. Because the way I got to the point where it looked like I'd been shot is I'm driving in, get the little light in the car, air pressure low in the tire, right, and I'm driving down to the mountains. I came in from the trial prep cabin to see my daughter has a film that's being shown over at Landmark tonight. She's part of a group that are going to have short film shown. So drive down for that low tire pressure. So what are you gonna do? Right, You're gonna go to the gas station and you're gonna pay your two bucks and you're gonna pump some air in your tires. Fine, all's finding good. Then I'm driving to my other meeting in Westminster and the alert comes on that there's too much air in the tires. So what are you going to do? Like a responsible citizen, You're going to take out a red pen and you're going to stick it into that little tire nozzle and you're gonna let some air out. Well, apparently, unbeknownst to me, as I stuck the pen into the tire to let the air out, it shot all the ink from the pen all over me, you know, like a spray can. But I was completely unaware of it because all I'm thinking about is my trial. So that's how I ended up walking into the building looking like I had blood all over me. So's wild. Yeah, it may take weeks, right, it may take weeks to get this stuff off me. Here's Mark Marshall Zellinger's version of this story, and I would like to get maybe you can give me some advice on this. I would like to get some advice on how to better figure out what the tire pressure actually is when I'm filling up instead of guessing.
Speaker 3: The person accused of trying to grab a fifth grader from a Cherry Creek school playground last year is incompetent to stand trial, and for the fourth time in seven years, that person will see the charges dropped because of incompetency, though they're being transferred to a mental health facility. Kids at black Forest Hills Elementary School yelled stranger danger. Solomon Gallaghan is accused of trying to grab a fifth grader at recess in April twenty twenty four, almost one year ago. Gallaghan was found incompetent to stand trial. Nine News investigates looked into Gallaghan's criminal history and found felony charges dropped twice in twenty twenty one and again in twenty eighteen because Gallaghan was found incompetent.
Speaker 1: To stand trial.
Speaker 3: A spokesman for the Arapaho County District Attorney's Office, which will be dropping the charges, tells us Gallagan is not being released to the public, but is being released to a mental health facility.
Speaker 1: I thought the story went on from there. Sounds like they needed to add to that story. Yeah, so anyway, that's our current understanding of the story. And then it gets complicated from there, right because released to a mental health facility for how long? Because one of the problems with this law that the Left put in place is is people with certain court findings. As I understand the law, and again I've read this law, it's particularly complex, probably by design, it appears, and it's it's I think my understanding from our conversation with George yesterday that there are some circumstances where people are entitled to simply be released obvious dangers, but as as long as their defense lawyer can prove up this in competence and not restorable, there's a scenario where they just get out. So yeah, this thing has to be changed. Three oh three someone three eight two five five. The number takes DA N five seven seven three nine. So we'll follow up on that, and again Michael Doherty, the Democrat DA from Boulder, will join us at five oh six. Been on the show before always a great guest, be good to have that conversation. And he had written a piece, as I mentioned, that addressed this before this crime even happens. So three or three someone three eight two five five. Also I want to talk about President Trump now President britt Yum on Fox News going after President Trump? What's that all about? You're on the Dankaplas Show.
Speaker 4: And now back to the Dan Kapliss Show podcast.
Speaker 5: Sammy Hagar, Oh wow, wonderful song read just for your Dan. I really appreciate it's your favorite color. It is not, but thank you. That's the thing though, any other color pen let's say blue or black, different role and it's on You're like.
Speaker 1: Oh what happened to you?
Speaker 4: But it's red, Dan?
Speaker 1: Are you okay? Right then people are thinking, holy coow, they finally got you. Yeah, man, how about this one. Government and politics are top concerned for Coloraden's according to annual survey. Government corruption and political division are the top concerns among Coloraden's according to Colorado Health Fund Nation's twenty twenty five Pulse Survey for its sixth annual survey conducted April blot to my May Bla. They polled two, three hundred and thirty three Colorados from across the political and socioeconomic spectrum, and then it goes into some of the demos.
Speaker 6: On that.
Speaker 1: Thirty two percent identified government and politics as their top concern, a twenty one percent increase from last year's poll. Cost of living, which topped the list in twenty four, dropped by six and seven points. So all of a sudden, concern about government and politics is the top concern for people, above cost of living, above crime, above everything. None of us have to be a political scientist to figure that one out. Right, it ain't working. People can see that Democrat controlled Colorado. It ain't working. Now when you get into the guts of the poll, they claim that more people are upset with Republicans and Democrats, But that doesn't make any sense to the top line, right, because Democrats control everything. I mean, I think probably the only thing left is when we go to the bathroom, and pretty soon they'll control that too. But they control everything, and the people of Colorado say, even more than prices in crime, government is our top concern. Yeah, well, good sign. Right. If you're hoping that eventually conservatives come back and govern Colorado again, that's a good sign. Now, it's still a long way from there to people saying, Okay, I'm ready to turn to that Republican alternative. And again, I know from having been a Democrat for so many years, it is a long way from there because so many people and it's what's so interesting to me, Ryan and it's good and I understand it why so many Republicans just can't fathom this deeply ingrained, embedded negative stereotype of Republicans. Because if you're a Republican, what do you think the chances are what percentage ran of Republicans. We know registered Republicans were born into a family that was Republican, their parents were Republican. What do you think that percentages?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't even be able to hazard a guess because if I just look at my own background, my parents were Reagan Republicans, but they weren't always Republicans, and my dad hates Donald Trump did not vote for him, so it's tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I would have to guess probably eighty percent of all Republicans are born into a Republican family. I just known't there are Republican parents, or at least one. So here's the point of course most Republicans. It's never going to occur to him that that Democrats and unaffiliateds could view the Republican Party so negatively and Republicans personally that way, because they know what Republicans are like. I had to leave the Democratic Party, become an affiliated, eventually become a Republican, and then get actively involved to figure out, you know, these are awesome people overall doing really good things that are doing more to help the causes I care about, like the Weekend defenses, the powerless, the unborn, than the Democrats, who professed to care about all well other than the unborn, care about all those things. So anyway, all I'm all I'm doing is just telling you the truth here, even though it's impossible to imagine, because you know that you're a good person and the Republicans you know are good people doing good things. The fact Colorado's are starting to get sick of Democrats is not enough. It's going to take some more on the GOP side. Speaking of which are good friend Dick Wadhams, who has been in the Winner circle a lot in Colorado when the past. Dick will join us at five six as well, going to talk about a PC he has published today abolished spending limits for political parties, brit You unhappy with President Trump. Let's listen to a little bit of that.
Speaker 7: Look, it's clear from what the President himself has said, although he wouldn't put it this way, that he got played by Putin and then Dragon.
Speaker 1: For months and he was being DeLong under.
Speaker 7: The impression that Putin had obviously given him, that Putin wanted to end the war and was prepared to negotiate from where we are. And it's pretty clear now that Putin didn't want to end the war where we are. He had more conquest in mind, and perhaps I wanted his his his whole original purpose of Ukraine, of taking Ukraine, to be fulfilled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but one of the reasons for the popularity of President Trump, in the success of him is, you know, he's a straight shooter, very very often, much much more of a straight shooter than anybody else in politics. And President Trump acknowledges himself right now that that day but Putin lied to him, and he's very unhappy with Putin about that, et cetera. But it brings back the question I raised a few months ago, which is, wait a second, you know, evil unfortunately is sometimes smart, and Putin is smart, but uses that intelligence to do evil things. Putin had to have known far in advance that when he did that, when he lied to Trump and he ended up making Trump look bad, that it was going to cause Trump to triple down to triple down against Putin. So why do you think Putin played it that way knowing what is to come right where Trump is going to allow more arms to Ukraine, Trump's going to tough en up on Russia, and these negatives are not going to happen for Putin. So was it just a calculation that he could gain enough in the meantime to end up ahead. Was it Putin wanting to make it clear that he just wasn't going to allow Trump to waltz in and get this solved like Trump has solved so many other things. Whatever it was, you can be sure he saw this coming and it was a calculation. And I'm just I'm impressed Trump just stepping up and saying, yeah, okay, I misread this guy, and now he's going to pay a price for it. Steven Arvada, you're on the Dan Kaplis Show. Welcome than see.
Speaker 2: Do you have a costco membership by Jens.
Speaker 1: You know, I was talking to my dentist about that yesterday. I do not, and I need to get one.
Speaker 2: Well, because they've got a solution for your air pressure problem, because they all all of them have the little machine that you go in and set the pressure for what your car needs, which is usually inside the driver door, on the place where.
Speaker 8: On the left side of your your seat.
Speaker 2: It tells you what the pressure is on the tires and you just set that there and you plug it into the tires and it'll raise ower it to meet whatever you need.
Speaker 1: That is a beautiful thing. Can you remember what it's called?
Speaker 2: Just an air pressure station. It's over by the tire place.
Speaker 1: It's a station. It's not something I can actually buy there, but Costco's air pressure station. To it beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's actually really don't need a membership.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's good to know too. That's okay. I appreciate that, Steve, Thank you very much, which goes to one of the better text we've had and maybe forever quit lying.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: We know the die packet exploded on you. So that is a great tad a life of crime, Dad, is it? Well, I'm probably aren't Those things normally black, so I'm probably lucky it was a red pen. And if you just joined us. I've talked about this over the years. I'm good at some things, not good at other things. I'm not good at working on my car. I got my tires over inflated because they'd been underinflated. So I took out a red pen to stick it into the tire to let air out, and then that just caused all the ink in the red pen to be shot up all over me with great force, and our good friend Sheriff Steve Dan. Thanks. Now the state's going to outlaw red pace it's pretty no, no, they'll probably mandate red pens. And then everybody sprayed me with them. Wow, that's a guy. You should run for governor.
Speaker 5: It's funny you say that because he said the very same thing about you.
Speaker 1: Well, I you know what, I think the better argument is him.
Speaker 5: I think the better argument is the two of you together on a ticket with with.
Speaker 1: Him, he'd be a great governor. He'd be a great governor.
Speaker 4: The lawyer, the law man, I said, yeah, come on, think about it.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, you're the brand end. You are good. I know you are really good. I know, so hey, quick preview Democrat DA from Boulder, Michael Doherty, you'll join us at five oh six, uh, talking about this really big, dangerous hole that the leftist has put in Colorado law that it allow some people to escape ever facing charges for very very serious crimes, including killing, if you know, they can convince the court that they're not only mentally incompetent now, but they're quote unquote not restorable. Some of those people can even be put out and will be put out back onto the streets. So very dangerous situation that Michael wrote about a long time ago. You know, he wrote about this and other big problems in our criminal justice system when it comes to mentally ill people. So this is real and this puts you and your family and more danger each and every day. So it'd be great to have Michael Doherty at five oh six to talk about that. Dick wadhams in in the five o'clock hour as well. Three or three seven, one, three eight two five five the number techs dam five seven seven three nine. You're on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 9: This has been about y'all. This has been about y'all, because their messaging was always the same. Democrats have been angry at what this man tried to do the last time, they've been angry this time. So I am with much due respect to you both, I believe you are pointing the finger at the wrong person when you say democrats, are.
Speaker 5: You delineating between voters and elected official? Yes, sah, you're saying.
Speaker 9: Because I agree voters are very impassioned.
Speaker 1: She's whoopies all worked up because how Bama and Mark Human say, Hey, Democrats need to get tougher. Wow, it is so much fun to watch this. But it's what I predicted long long long before election day, right, which was a Trump was going to win, be the left was going to panic and expose itself, and then the left was going to start to disintegrate before our eyes, not completely go away, but start to reveal itself, which would mean it would then disintegrate. And that's exactly what's happening. And that's what's critical. Because Trump winning, thank you Lord, not enough in and of itself. People need to see what the left really is because trust me, I was a Democrat for years. So many Democrats have no idea, no idea, how radical and secular and anti American and anti faith any of the people who control the Democratic Party are today, and so they really need to see who these people truly are. So it's beautiful to see all of this infighting unfolding. Hey, lot's going on. Michael Doherty, DA from Boulder, will join us. Democrat will join us at five oh six to talk about this big problem we have in Colorado law where some folks who commit obviously commit heinous crimes can then just avoid ever being charged and sometimes just walk free under this gap in Colorado law. And Michael and others have real concerns, as they should, about how our criminal justice system is dealing with menal Io. People don't blame the judges, blame the lawmakers and the laws they have passed that tie the hands of people who want to protect the public. Let's go to vic and beautiful Brighton, Colorado. You're on the Dan Kapla show.
Speaker 8: Welcome, Thank you, Dan, I love your show. And Ryan's also thank you. I have a tip with regard to letting air out of your tire. Yeah, the saying it looks like a pin head that you put your pen on. Yes, what you do is you take like a corner of your thumbnail, okay, or your fingernail and just push on that, okay, and I'll release the air.
Speaker 1: Okay. Okay. That's good advice, man, And my day would have been much better if I'd done that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no more inksclatters, to know?
Speaker 2: Do that?
Speaker 1: No, thank you, Vic. I really appreciate that. And Vic's right because what I did instead, because I'd overinflated, then I had to let them out. I stuck the lead end of a red pin in to let some air out. And of course what happened was you had this massive burst of air that then caused all of the red ink to just fly all over me. But the worst part is I didn't even know what happened. So then I'm walking into a meeting at the station here and they're all like, who's calling nine? One one? So three or three? Someone? Three eight two? If I have the number? Text or says Dan, did you have the red pen? Because you were correcting John keller House. I'm sure who ever said that it was more than tongue in cheek because they know it's quite the opposite. John is And you know John elected da for Repo and Douglass before this the GOP nominee for Attorney General, who got the top vote getter in the state. But John is now my law partner in our managing partner, and it is quite the opposite. He is truly just a brilliant cat. I have a man the stuff, the stuff he comes up with is I think tremendous.
Speaker 5: The person who sent that his initials are George Brockler.
Speaker 1: Oh he think that his is that his number head thought for sure, but it sounds like his cenciamre and George truly one of the funniest people ever in public life in Colorado. Dan, in the future, you can flip the valve cover over and push it with that instead of using a pen. Believe me, I have learned my lesson. We'll never use that pen again. Dan. You can always stop at discount tires. Wow, that's a good idea. They'll always check your tire pressure for free. That from our friend Alexa. And you know, the tire pressure thing. I'm not going off on that rant. Let me get back to the topics. The tire pressure thing really is critical because you know, and that's one reason I was so concerned about getting it right. You would think I would have had a tool to do that. But the truth is I normally have this car in for service so oft like half the time I've owned it that that you know, it always gets worked out there. But I know from the catastrophic injury work I do in my law practice that tire pressure is key to a vehicle operating properly on the roadway. So that's why I was so obsessed with it, and I paid the price with an ink bath. All right, let's get back to some of the hot stuff of the day here. Three h three someone three eight two five five takes d an five seven seven three nine. Dick Wadhams joins us in the five o'clock hours, well hopefully earlier, to talk about his piece today on abolishing spending limits for political parties. I had no idea till I read the piece that the laws have now been worked out in such a way that it really kind of neuters the impact of political parties, which I don't think is a good thing for Republicans. And then just a little preview of Michael Doherty who's going to join us at five h six. He's the Democrat DA from Boulder. We always enjoy having them on the show to talk about this issue of wait a second, are you telling me Colorado law now allows really dangerous criminals who obviously committed the crimes to just walk out if they can show they're not competent, and they're never going to be competent. I mean, that is such a gaping hole in public safety. It has to be fixed. George Brockler with a comment one that yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: A super troubling one. And keep in mind that before this person went to try to go kidnap this young boy, I was already a registered sex offender. Now that can only happen if you've been convicted of a prior sex offense. So somehow this person navigated the legal waters in order to become a registered sex defender, but now is incompetent to stand trial. Now, there was a change in the law as recently as I think it was twenty twenty four. And remember there's just the Dems in charge who books this getting through and they change the law significantly so that I'll give you an example on all second class misdemeanors and below, and that includes some pretty serious misdemeanors, some domestic violence, some lower level child abuse, thataped all this other stuff.
Speaker 2: If you get a report back.
Speaker 6: From the state hospital it says that this person is incompetent, the DA must immediately dismiss the case again to that person and just send them right back.
Speaker 1: At that's just insane. And George went on from there and just true insanity, right, And this is a perfect segue to Dick Wantums because I didn't mean it the way that sounded Dick, but perfect segue to Dick Watums Because Okay, at what point, obviously that the left in Colorado has openly now sided with criminals and against innocent people, and they don't even try to hide it. So at what point do the voters start to push back on that, because there's no sign that they're ready to do that. How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 10: Hey Dan, what an amazing story about your red shirt?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Yeah, I sympathize with you. A man's got to know his limitations, right, Yes, there are some things I'm actually good at. Yeah, but fixing cars for whatever, It's not that I haven't tried. I mean, from the beginning, I've tried to fix.
Speaker 10: Cars, you and me both, Like my first car.
Speaker 1: Costs seventy five dollars. I wanted to fix a car, I didn't have the money to take it to the shop. My brain doesn't work.
Speaker 10: Then, no, no, I sympathize with you. I'm the same way. Thank God for mechanics and places that do that.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I'm even worried about putting the washer fluid in. Yeah, you know, am I going to put it in the wrong spot?
Speaker 10: Pressure is very important, and man, it is something that even you and I can deal with. But but people forget how important that is, especially in really cold weather and really hot weather.
Speaker 1: Oh it's you. Yeah, and I know it from the law practice, you know, because you work with all these eng ears and all these big pre crashes. The entire pressure matters a lot. It's interesting you get so many Californians to come here, right, and and they just think, if I've got a four wheel drive and snow tires, i can go up the side of a building. Yes, I mean, and no, your tire's got to be right and all that. So I was well intentioned, poor execution.
Speaker 10: I understand.
Speaker 1: I will never again use a pen And then what I did later was I used the eraser side of a pencil. Ah, yeah, okay, but it's still imprecise. Yeah, okay, it is is. So that's why you were here. Okay, you talk about it that pressure I ran, you know, So I wish you'd been here at three o'clock when I came in from the meeting because I was totally app and the eyes got widen, the man you okay, do you need to call somebody?
Speaker 10: I thought it would be a startling thing to see. Yeah, and you were going into a court room.
Speaker 2: Is that No?
Speaker 1: I was coming in here for a meeting at the stage.
Speaker 10: Oh okay o yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some wise guys said they finally got you. Yeah.
Speaker 10: I love what Steve Reams said. Oh, Steve knows.
Speaker 1: Steve knows, Steve would be a great candidate for governor. Yeah, he's got to run for something.
Speaker 10: He did a great job filling in for you while you were gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I keep hearing that from people.
Speaker 10: Yeah he did.
Speaker 1: When are you going to do that again?
Speaker 10: I will do it. That was the week that you were gone. I was just tied up that week.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so yeah, no, Steve has been great. And he was a listener suggestion because I was going to miss all this time for trials, right, and we wanted to add to our tremendous roster. Yeah. Yeah, he's been tremendous. Yeah, and he got Tom Homan on that ain't easy.
Speaker 10: Not at all. Yeah, he knows Tom, I think doesn't he doesn't. Don't they know each other.
Speaker 1: It seems like they be buddies. Yeah. But the thing is, and we don't have time to talk about it now, but I'd like to get your take. Is I see where Phil Wiser Now his latest crusade is against ice agents wearing masks. Yes, so have to that sad, So all these Antifa nuts out there, you know, just just ready to do all of their arm to all these people. Know where are your masks?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 1: Two or three? And just the irony of Democrats saying don't wear masks.
Speaker 10: It seems like it is a daily story that he is signing on to another lawsuit against the Trump administration.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really amazing part of the campaign. Yeah, yeah, the campaign to nowhere. Dick Wadham's with us here on the Dan Caplas Ship.
Speaker 4: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Bill Doherty, Democrat Y and Boulder joins us at five oh six. Always a great guest talking about a real danger lurking within Colorado law right now, that needs to be fixed. And then the broader issue of come on, you've got so many people right to You've got so many people in the criminal justice system, we have mental illnesses, and so they pose this danger, they pose this danger to the public, right and yet the system isn't set up to get the care they need to be able to protect the public. And it just insane stuff literally. So and you like Michael Doherty, I think I do.
Speaker 10: I think he's been a great DA Now that's probably the kiss of death for him and the Democratic yeah, primary, but I think he's outstanding. I don't ever, don't know everything about him, but I think he's been a really solid day.
Speaker 1: And running against Jenni Griswall.
Speaker 10: Yeah who, I just who. I don't I'm not going to say despise her, but I think she's horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but horrible with a ton of money, yes, and in a party that you know, it just talks about how enlightened they are, but you know, where's the governor of color where's the female governor, where's the female center? All that stuff. I mean, there's such phonies when it comes to this Holier than thou Dei stuff, and then he ended up with three boring old white guys in the top job.
Speaker 10: She all she talks about in her campaign is how much she hates Trump. She doesn't talk about any of the issues. I mean, Doherty would actually be an attorney general. I think she would just use the office for her anti Trump crusade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean, think of the irony hair. You have somebody whose mission was to to deprive Colorado voters of the chance to vote for Trump. And I know you're not a Trump fan.
Speaker 10: But deprive voters even wrong about that?
Speaker 1: When is the US Supreme Court nine zero? They're not nine zero on ordering ice cream? Oh?
Speaker 10: I found that very repulsive, the nine.
Speaker 1: Zero against Jenna griss I agree. Yeah, wow, and she has a very good shot to be attorney general and no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Unfortunately, Dan and Ryan, could you tell traffic folks that Waterton Canyon Road is closed? Wow? Yeah? Yeah, Okay, Dan called Tom Martino next time. Good advice for just about anything, right, Yeah, So tell us political parties. Now, I didn't realize until I read your piece. They just can't do much money wise for candidates.
Speaker 10: No, and this goes back to nineteen seventy four with the post Watergate to reforms, and parties have kind of lived with it. But the Supreme Court now will consider a lawsuit that was started by the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee and at that time Senator JD. Vance that was filed before he got elected Vice president, and it would basically remove the limits from political parties and how much they can spend on their candidates. And so it's been around, but it goes. I think the Court will agree with this. I think they'll pull the limits down Dan. But more importantly, I think this is the first step towards eliminating all limits on all contributions and all expenditures for candidates and political parties. One of the reasons, of the biggest reason in fact that we have all this money going into the shadowy super PACs is that the parties and the candidates can't raise money because of these limits. Now, they won't go away if we remove the limits on them. But I will tell you the money will gravitate back towards parties and candidates and they are accountable. The trouble with super packs they always sound like Citizens for Better America or you know, Americans for puppies and kittens and that kind of name. People have no idea who they are, what they do, and who finances them. When people hear an ad from the Democratic Republican Party, they say they know what that is, or or Dan Capalists for governor or whatever. I mean, they know what that is. And so I have always felt, and this is the first step the Supreme Court case, we need to get rid of all these limits on candidates and political parties in this day and age of the Internet and social media, instantaneous and full disclosure of all these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And isn't that where the Supreme Court is clearly, because you know, free speech, you got to be able to support who you want the way you want within the law and ub but you can't be anonymous. I don't see any constitutional right people have to be anonymous in the candidates they support. And so just get it all up there.
Speaker 10: Just just make immediate, full and complete disclosure. And these limits they treat voters like their dah yeah, yeah, yeah, And voters do not need to be caudled.
Speaker 1: Well, And it's the opposite right, and it's one reason I think the Supremes are about to do exactly what you said. Now, maybe it's a two step dance, but they're about to do it is because there was this concern before, which doesn't justify on constitutional stuff, but this this valid concern before that. Wait a second, then you're just going to have the big money people, you know, picking everybody and all this and that. But now, as you pointed out, with the Internet and the ability of small donors to gather together and fund like Trump's campaign, massive levels, Supreme Court's not going to have that concern anymore because small donors can get behind a candidate and make the difference.
Speaker 10: Well, it's interesting too. The University of Denver, they had a policy committee that did a deep dive in the campaign finance reform in twenty thirteen. They spend months looking at it. University of Denver is not exactly a conservative bashi this. This committee that looked into this was not populated by a bunch of conservative Republicans. Their conclusion was that the state of Colorado should take away all limits on contribution of contributions on political parties and candidates. And it didn't get near the attention it should have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's it's a end of academic conversation for most people, right right, But you've lived it. I mean you've lived it when in Big Raiss you've lived it as party care. So on the ground, and we'll run out of time here quick. On the ground. What kind of difference does it make for the Colorado GOP if these limits didn't exist.
Speaker 10: Well in a good year, Republicans did raise a lot more money and spend it directly on behalf of candidates. Right now, a US Senate candidate in Colorado, a Republican can only have about six hundred thousand spent on it by the Colorado Party. Now that's now in the past, Dan, I will tell you that that's happened, but it could. It should be more. Should it should be unlimited, should be unlimited, and welcome back.
Speaker 1: Continue that conversation. Now we are going to take Michael Doherty, Democrat d from Boulder at five six to talk about something he wrote on before. He wrote on before this big gaping hole in Colorado law that puts you and your family in more danger and how do we fix it. Michael Daugherty at five oh six, you're at Dan Caplis and Dick Wadhams on the Dan Capler show