Speaker 1: Okay, so that's where jingle comes. Whyat sharp Welcome to the other side of Midnight?
Speaker 2: High Hello?
Speaker 1: Really, why do you say that.
Speaker 3: Always?
Speaker 2: It's such a pleasure on.
Speaker 1: Why is this a crappy phone connection? What's that about? Do you hear the problem? I hear, I do not.
Speaker 4: I know you.
Speaker 1: I hear every third word, and I hear an echo. So we're going to hang up and call you back. Okay, so hang up, We're going to hang up on you. We're going to call you back, and I will vamp hi. It's the other side of midnight. It's a show filled with exciting production and complicated hoops and it's a yeah. Oh it's Monday morning. Welcome brand new week. I hate it when morning men say that. It's like, I mean a brand new week and I've got I can't hear anything in test test I've got. Oh, we got the earphones with the tin the tinfoil like you made when you were a kid and you would set up an intercom that you could talk to your best friend at the house next door. Well, that's what I've got. It's a special challenge. Do you hear an edge in my voice? Pay no attention to it. Just pay attention to the words I had the best weekend. There are two reasons for this, and I hope you had a well. I don't care if you had a best weekend. But I had a great weekend. And here's the weekend I had. My wife and children were not home any questions, and then they're not going to be home all week. And then I did what I wanted to do. Now I'm going to give you an example. Maybe you can relate to this. Maybe you can share this. When I was in a room and I wanted to go to a different room, I stood up and I walked to that room, like what I know, it's insane, mean, nobody said did you leave anything? Did you leave any cups in the TV room? Are there any cups in the TV room? For some reason, the inventory on the cups dominates my wife's thinking. It is completely changed from our honeymoon. Now it's did you leave anything in the TV room? Is there anything in there that I'll need to pick up later? You know how this goes. You've seen this transcript your entire life. Your mother shared it with you, your wife has shared it with you. If you made that mistake every time when I was a kid. We were in the car with my grandfather. Every time on a Saturday we went by a church and there was a wedding four point thirty on a Saturday afternoon. My grandfather would always say the same thing, go another mistake. That's all he'd say, without any extrapolation, without any comment. It was like another mistake, and there it is. And here's the best part of that story. I have a happy marriage. This is I have a good marriage, and I'm delighted when they're all away for a week. They're down with her sister and the dreaded brother in law. The dreaded brother in law. I watch something in this time alone that I don't binge watch. I view people who binge watch TV shows. As week. I watch an episode and then I stop, and then I do something constructive like go into the kitchen, and then a day or two later, I'll watch the next episode, and in the next episode. But this time, I see this series and I watched the first episode and I'm like, oh my god, this is incredible, and then the next one, and I binge watched. I would binge watch all eight episodes of this particular series that was like whoa never say anything this great for me. It may not be perfect for you, but I think you'll have a good time. It's called Star City. You may recall that Russia had a Cape Canaveral. Russia had a Cape Kennedy and it was called Star City. That's where all of their rockets went off from. That's where their astronauts and the teams that built the rockets worked. It was in one isolated place, much like Florida, and it was called Star City. This is about an alternate history where the Russians got to the Moon first. All right, you've already seen that series that was called something Beyond Space or something. I don't know, but this was different. This was Russia beat us to the moon. And this series is about what happened after that at Star City to the Russians, what happened next in the Russian space program. And it's not about getting in space. It's not about all of the challenges getting into space. It's about living at Star City. Now. I always thought that was a better name than Cape Canaveral. I always thought that was a better name than Cape Kennedy. I thought, wow, star City, that is pretty cool. I watched all eight episodes, and it was stunning. Do we have Wyatt? No? Is there a reason we don't have Wyatt? Is it a new phone system to Canada? What is the problem there? Well, just keep calling, just keep calling, radio show, live, radio show. Walter's talking away. Probably should just keep not talking to each other. Just trying to get Whyatt. I know I'm insane. I want you to hear from Wyatt Sharp, who joins us at the beginning of every Monday morning show, Sharp as Hell. He happens to be a senior in high school who sounds better than anybody on this radio network. He's a really smart guy, but he's also a shockingly good broadcaster. I'm very nervous when he's about putting him on because he does sound better than I do, and that is a challenge. No, I didn't mean it that way. It's you know what I'm talking about anyway, So it star City. Now get a load of what this is. We get to see what the Soviet Union worked like at the height of the Cold War, at the very height of their power sixty sixty one, sixty two sixty three, when Krush Jeff was in charge and then Breshnef was in charge, it was like really hardcore Russian and we get to see how it operated in ways that were terrifying. Their spy system way advance compared to ours, their military internal operations way advance compared to ours. And it's an alternate history as to what happened after they got to the moon first, how did they deal with it? What was fascinating is what happened to us after we got to the moon first. And we'll talk about that. Do you have him now? Guys? Do you have him now? Could I talk to him? Are you just gonna keep talking to him? This is he that charming to you? A? Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll tell you more about Star City in seconds, But right now I want to talk about Wyatt Sharp. Welcome to the other side of Midnight, Wyatt. Were they having a chat with you?
Speaker 5: You know it's the great Canadian cell service, I think is the problem?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not funny. You have updates for us. Wyatt runs a YouTube channel that's terrific. He also happens to be a senior in high school, has booked amazing guests like Hillary Clinton, and has a has a real gift, like a real gift. You're going to use this to get into Harvard. I know you will. So what's your news?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What? What are you doing.
Speaker 6: This week?
Speaker 5: In Bertin The Nancy Guthrie stuff has really continued to get a lot of attention after my interview with the PMA County Sheriff Chris Nanos, there's been a lot of developments in the case. They release some ransom notes and in my interview with him with this a little bit last week, but it's been kind of expanded upon. They confirm that they're using something called genetic genealogy to basically connect family members to the potential suspect and an effort and make their investigation move along a little bit faster because people are getting pretty frustrated at the pace.
Speaker 2: Of the investigation.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: Well, basically, what is genealogy?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: What is the pace? When do they expect some conclusion? Are they happy with the pace?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think that's what I'm getting at, is that they're definitely not. And it's not so much even they're frustrated with the pace of the investigation so much is the fact that the FBI director Cash Bettel, for example, said just this past week that they were withheld from the scene for too long, and that the sheriff of was didn't allow the FBI to use Quantico to go through a lot of the DNA in various labs. Quanticos, of course the FBI's premier lab that they use for most of these types of high profile investigations, but the local officials there refused, and the FBI attributes that refusal to know the slowed pace of this investigation.
Speaker 1: Why could a local sheriff prevent the FBI from becoming involved? How does that work? I would have assumed the FBI had priority.
Speaker 5: You know, that's a great question, and it's one that a lot of people are asking, But it's actually the state officials that can prevent the FBI from accessing the scene, and that's exactly what they did. You also have I've been seeing online some people saying, well, why can't the federal government just remove the sheriff? And that goes back to the fact that in Arizona they have a democratic governor and Chris Nanos, the sheriff there is a Democrat. So you know, even though the sheriff is the lead investigator, there's still a lot of partisan politics at play.
Speaker 1: Well, Plus, isn't the sheriff elected there not appointed. Correct, Yes, therefore it'd be impossible to remove the sheriff he was appointed. They'd have a better shot. But what I don't understand is why, Well you don't have this answer, but why would they delay? Why wouldn't they want all the help that they could possibly get. Is it just so that they'd get the credit? Is that it so the sheriff could solve the case and get the credit without help.
Speaker 5: I think that's definitely part of it, because I think, again, going back to the politics, he wants to be, you know, the poster child, so to speak, for solving the investigation, and if the FBI comes in and solves the case, then you know, it might take some of it away from him. But I will also say that part of the problem is that Pema County, the area where this is happening, they have not dealt with high profile investigations like this ever, not even just recently, but ever. The last high profile thing that happened in Pema County was the shooting of gab Giffords and that was over ten years ago. And so I think a lot of it I attribute to just not really a whole lot of expertise in that area, even down to you know, a lot of the not just the shriff himself, but a lot of the people who make up the office of the sheriff. Through no fault of their own, this is something that really they weren't prepared for because of the sure size of their community.
Speaker 1: You and I have never heard of Puma County, Arizona before. This must be a very very rural, desert oriented, abandoned community, and it's curious that a woman with those means would have lived in such a pathetic place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean I just think for her, I mean, her house is very nice. I think a lot of people I live in a very rural area, hence the cell service sometimes. But I think that for a lot of people who know Nancy Guttriy, it was actually just them trying to map out how is it that someone would even know how to get to her house because of how rule and remote her house actually is. And that's why in the very beginning of the investigation, as with many investigations of this nature, you have people turning to the immediate people who knew her as kind of the first primary suspects in the investigation. Because of how rural and inaccessible her house actually was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my first thought was the brother, the brother, the son in law who looks like resputant. The son in laws looks terrifying. That was my first thought. I assume they have they have blocked him out and he he is in. It's out. He's been ruled out, all right. Yeah, there are other stories you guys are working on tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The other one that I found, and we've hinted at it before but not as directly, and that is that gen Z is actually starting to put their phone down more so than before. Because of course, what we know is gen Z uses phones more than any other generation. They're finding innovative ways to use it, but sometimes they're getting addicted to it, right, And that's why you've seen governments trying to ban both cell phones, especially in educational settings, but also banning things like social media as well. But there's the report that's kind out now that says that young people are actually not using cell phones as often as they perhaps were, and a lot of it comes down to young people wanting to have more social time with friends and with family because it's something that people have lost out on a lot recently. With COVID nineteen. They were locked inside their houses, they were having to quarantine. And so it's really the constant notification and their algorithms and the social pressure that is in some ways creating a lot of chronic stress for young people, and I think young people themselves are starting to realize that.
Speaker 1: All Right, Wyatt Sharp. What's the name of your channel on.
Speaker 5: YouTube, The Sharp Exchange. And We've got some really big interviews coming up as well, which I'm sure we will talk about here on your show over of course of the next few weeks. I won't give away one of them because it's very big, but I have one coming out tomorrow with James Carville on the state of the Democratic Party and kind of where things are heading. We're talking about the Michigan primary that's coming up on August fourth, and lots of other news as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, The Sharp Report YouTube, Wyatt Sharp, thank you for being on the Other Side of Midnight. Walter Sterling, Red Apple Audio Networks, Mattea Spoonbowman, Hollywood. Welcome to the Other Side of Midnight with Walter Sterling live from Hollywood. Finally we have a live connection that reaches Hollywood. It cost a tremendous amount of money to get this in and fourteen people working overtime to actually be able to reach to you. And soon I'll get a pair of headphones that enable me to hear stuff and I'll get on it. Right now, I'm staring at a black computer screen, and then over there is another black computer screen. But you know, the trick is to ignore all that and just plow ahead. And then you know what people say, You know what people say. Then they say, they say, boy, he's a professional. What a professional he is if he can do a show with a black computer screen there and another one over there. And then if I touched one that was you know, feeding Dominic's Sacred show and it went out for eight seconds, Oh my god, that's a disaster. But if it happened to me twice, there's no problem. You know. The overnight guy boom boom in Hollywood. Thank you for being my friend. I don't have any left.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a pleasure to be your friend, and I bid you a very pleasant mooring. Although you've had so much fun thus.
Speaker 1: Far, I've had a special time.
Speaker 6: It's a special time. Speaking of special time, you were at home by yourself. You were enjoying the new series on Apple TV, Star City, and I'm curious to know where the orange flavored Hostess cupcakes involved at all. Well, you were alone and secretly there.
Speaker 1: That's a very good question. The orange cupcakes are such a controversial food that I don't dare eat them in the home. I only eat them alone in the car, which is also where I eat gas station chicken. Now, have you ever had gas station chicken?
Speaker 6: I haven't been that brave.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't think I was that brave either, but I saw every time I went to this one gas station which had this incredible aroma of gas station chicken. And I saw it being made and you could get wings, legs or or something. Strip strip not a known part of a chicken. And so I and it smelled great. But here's the two things that persuaded me to try it. One, the owner of the gas station made it. It was always the owner of the gas station who made it, so I figured there was some hope there. But the other thing is there was always a line. It didn't matter what time day I went in, there was always a line of people wanting the gas station chicken.
Speaker 6: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: And there then I got it, and it's a delicate synthesis of light, grease and just enough spice in the coating. Wo I know, and it's cooked perfectly. I never thought i'd eat it, but I can't admit it to members of my family. They'll be furious that I would eat the gas station check and furious.
Speaker 6: Did the chicken me get home with you to watch the television program this weekend? Or did it just stay at the.
Speaker 1: Gas I sit in the car at the gas station, don't I don't even leave the gas station in the car. And then then I'll go home and I will watch Star City, which is uh so far from me, the best television I've seen in years.
Speaker 6: I understand that Ronald D. Moore was one of the creators on that, and he's got you know, he's involved in the Battlestar galact the TV series, the Star Trek Generations, Star Trek Next Generation, Star Trek First Contact. So he's a sci fi guy, and I think that's probably why he's had a lot of sci fi experience. Did he do probably one of the reasons.
Speaker 1: Did he do Strange New Worlds? Is he involved with Strange New Worlds? Which is amazing.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't seen that series yet. I don't know if he is, but I know that he did those three at least, and so well, that's probably one of the reason, since it's going in that direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something I have.
Speaker 3: To tell you.
Speaker 6: This has been the biggest weekend in Hollywood in recent memory. I mean this is a big thing. I mean big, big, big, big. The two movies that are out have now made Hollywood the most money it's made since before COVID. So the first one, of course is Spider Man Brand New Day. We talked about it last week. That's the new Spider Man movie, which is out right now, and it's rather good and it certainly seems to be reflecting in the attendance worldwide Spider Man has made since last Friday. Nine and twenty seven million dollars.
Speaker 1: That's impossible, It's impossible.
Speaker 7: Nuts.
Speaker 6: This makes it the biggest opening weekend, second only to the one point two billion opening weekend of Avengers Endgame, and that was before COVID. So, as I thought might happen, Spider Man would knock the Audist out of first place, and it certainly has. But nine hundred and twenty seven million dollars worldwide now locally. What I mean locally, I mean in the US and Canada. The Spider Man made three hundred and fifty five million, but that's an amazing worldwide gross. So it's remarkable to me that the other movie that also has Tom Holland, Zendia and John Burnhal, The Odyssey, it just sailed past nine hundred and eleven million worldwide on its third weekend. So it's been a very nice time in Hollywood. Universals are proding its biggest grosses probably since those old Monster movies with Boris Carloff, like Frankenstein and Baylor Lugosi. So it's it's a good time in Hollywood, and people are very happy with Tom Holland, who's having a great time in his career right now. He just married Zendaya. He's having these terrific movies, and then he's going to play a fault people Fred Astaire coming up, so.
Speaker 1: Well, thank god, he's worst in Hollywood. Thank god he has worked. Because we were worried about Tom Holland getting work. I know you won't, all right, my friend, what are you reviewing next week? You know?
Speaker 6: Oh, I haven't seen the playlist yet from the studios there's some sort of a rom com that has sort of a mysterious thing that I don't even remember the title. You know, I go to four pictures a week, and I just put in my calendar I have to go. I've never watched the trailers ahead of time because I don't want to be influenced. And then when I see them, I said, oh, well that was good or not good, and then we talk about it. So looking forward to talking to you again on Friday morning.
Speaker 1: How do I find you on Facebook?
Speaker 6: Mattias Bomball's Hollywood on Facebook? It's M A T I A S B O M B A l apostrophe s Hollywood just like the city. Matias Bomball's Hollywood on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Thanks Walter, thank you for being on the other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. You and I are on the radio in Chicago on the Great wg N. Oh my god, there's no accounting for taste. There you are. You got a phone number? We can talk at any time. I'll give you a reason to talk in just moments. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two, My gosh, is it doctor Sky? Also from Arizona? Are you in Arizona?
Speaker 8: Tonight, sir Ah sure end, good morning, Walter. Good to be with you.
Speaker 1: It's nice, but I mean your voice is just it ruins my mystique. Like I think I have a good radio voice and then you come on the air and all is lost.
Speaker 8: No, I'm here in Arizona actually struggling through one of the most ridiculous days. But we expect that in Arizona one hundred and seventeen degrees. If you believe that the momenter.
Speaker 1: That's impossible. How it is? How does that feel terrible? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean I set the air conditioning. I think we had an air conditioning conversation before, so.
Speaker 1: I've lowered it.
Speaker 8: Actually I had it at eighty, but after listening to you, I put it at seventy eight. And my electric bill is going up exponentially.
Speaker 1: So there you go, right, And the beauty of that is that every year you and I by energy efficient appliances progressively energy efficient appliances, and you go, well, I got another energy efficient appliance, and therefore my bill should go down. And it never goes down no matter how many energy efficient appliances we buy, the bill always goes up. Makes no sense. It's one of the mysteries, Doctor Sampsai, it's a great mystery. Well listen, doctor Sky, there's a great story that's fascinating, and I'd like you to share it with us because it's a doctor Sky's story and share your theories.
Speaker 8: Well, Walter, this week will be another good week for people who love space And even if you don't, it's good to pay attention because Wednesday, something unusual is going to happen. It's been done before, but it's never received the media attention. And what is that They will be actually intentionally slamming into the Moon an upper stage of a SpaceX booster from a mission Walter that happened back in January the fifteenth of twenty twenty five. The booster was actually trying to get it two space probes, two privatized space probes to the surface of the Moon, one Japanese and one American. But unfortunately, apparently I don't know the facts on this, but I believe this is what I've been reading. That booster never got its way out of the way, so it's got into this weird orbit around the Moon. So what's going to happen Wednesday? And the calculations tell us that the impact will take place at this large booster, but we have to put it in the mind like a theater in the mind concept forty five feet long, twelve feet wide. We don't know if it has any external you know, internal propellants still in it, God help us. But it will be slammed into the Moon, traveling at over five thousand miles an hour. Whoa with a kinetic effect. If you look at kinetics, you know the energy that can be imparted or exported out three tons of TNT. That's their estimate. So why are they doing this? I mean, it's not just for fun. We don't want to intentionally litter the Moon, but that's a whole nother story. It's actually to test what happens when we create craters because in the future, at least that's what I hope, when we do habitate the Moon, we're going to have to understand what impactors do and what kind of damage they do on the surface of the Moon. Now, from the observation side, I've been viewing the Moon like probably many people with decent to very high power telescopes. So the point is some media hype and I want to correct this if we can on this show, your show, I think so much in so many in the media are talking about this as if it might be a visible event for people. I wish it were, but I can't rule it out. So you would need a fairly large telescope. So here's the dynamics of what's going to happen. The curring estimates say that on Wednesday morning, two thirty five a m. Eastern daylight time, and this window can change by minutes who knows West coast of course, eleven thirty five pm Pacific daylight time. Now I'll be out there with the telescope the day before just to set it up. But the best views would happen for the eastern to midwestern parts of the nation. Here or obviously anywhereward. It's dark what you could see theoretically, and this has happened before. I've watched a few of these events, never to see the impact, but we looked at exactly the location. Back in two thousand and nine, NASA had a mission called l Cross to the Moon. It was a large booster from a Centaur rocket, and Walter, what they were doing is slamming it into the south Pole area of the Moon. And this actually this experiment when they slammed it in. We actually detected water vapor. So that's why if people wondering why are we headed to the south pole of the moon, the possibility now is a fact that there is water vapor in the form of ice there, but this one which will be visible on the very bright side the left edge of the moon. It may be impossible to see the flash, but who knows. But what could happen Walter, is that to briefe from that impact could actually send the plume of material against the edge of the Moon, where people who have a large telescope, not binoculars, may get to see something unprecedented. I've never seen that. I don't think anybody has, so it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: What does it mean to us if the moon has water vapor? What does that mean?
Speaker 8: Meat Well, Walter in the symbolest term, This is really strange. People always ask me, They say, what temperature is the lowest in the Solar System? And going back to school, everybody would think, well, the outer planets. Now, Pluto's a dwarf, but let's take Nepten temperatures out there can be three hundred degrees below zero. Fahrernhit. How they know that they take these things called spectroscopes, space probes have visited it and you know, put their so called thermometer out to measure the temperature. But we find out Walter, at the south post of the Moon, this is almost incredible. It's probably the coldest place in the Solar system. Temperatures allegedly recorded at over four hundred degrees below zero fahrenheit. So why is it important. It's important because in the future when we do habitate that area, there's that possibility since water is so scarce, you know, not only here in the United States now the big water crises, but we need that and that can help us to generate, you know, future production of water if we would scrape the ice, let's say. And it's a possible location for as we talk about now, for habitation. So it's got a positivity to it. But this one is just to detect what the impact results are, in other words, what happens when you slam something into the Moon like that. So it's exciting and I'll be out there with the telescopes.
Speaker 1: And so people, and it could be that the moon is hollow. Is that also something we're studying here?
Speaker 8: Yes, And this is interesting, but let me define what they call hollow when the follow astronauts orbited the Lonely Astronaut like Michael Collins and Apollo eleven.
Speaker 1: Uh, he's going to have to come on and tell us more about that. That was an amazing story. How they train these guys to be in the subway tunnels. They think they're going to be solving robberies in the Bronx, and now they're stuck in subway tunnels and they better turn the power back off fast enough. Whoa, whoa. I don't always get to listen or look at what he's going to talk about ahead of time, and usually I'm as amazed as you are. Vic Ferrari, retired New York City Police detective. Oh my gosh, wow, Wow, the other side of Midnight. That's pretty cool, mister Ferrari. Vic Ferrari, buy that book, for gosh sakes, by that book. I've never said that before, have I? No, I'm telling you that. By the book, I was so The situation with my wife went like this. Everything was fine. I was spending the weekend at my sister in law's apartment, one of her many of her estate, and I was staying there for a couple days alone. All right. Then last night I get this notification when I'm away and they want me to do something. I don't get a phone call, I don't get a text. I get a notification, much as you would at work or if there was a police emergency. And it says, Susan's going to come there with her daughter tonight. I'm like, okay, and that's all I knew. I said, when is she leaving? They said tuesday. Okay, that's fine, and I changed my brain so I understood I'd be in an apartment with these two other people I had met twenty five years ago. Well, I go to sleep, I wake up today. Everything's fine. Then around four o'clock I get this text. And the text says, now they're going to be staying in the room you're in because there are two beds, and I want you to make your bed. I said, WHOA, You had already told me I could stay in this room. And I said, when did they arrive? Oh, they haven't arrived yet. They're going to arrive today. You told me they were going to arrive yesterday. Right then it starts to get slippery. Right then I get slippery. I'm supposed to make my bed. I'm supposed to change rooms, and I'm all settled. I have my things on the dresser, I have my clothes out, I have my prescriptions all set up right. You know the situation when you check into a hotel. Will Now, I'm all checked into the hotel and I'm told I'm going to have to move to a different room, and it was already promised. I said, no, you promised me I could stay in this room. You, in fact said first dives. Whoever gets into the room first, it's first dives?
Speaker 3: Like what?
Speaker 1: And it continues, it continues. This story is amazing coming up eight hundred eighty four eight nine two two, eight hundred eighty four eight nine two two two. When when am I supposed to do something? Don't don't do that? Talk to me? All right, there's Eddie Aragan. Welcome New Mexican. Where were you born?
Speaker 7: By the way, Albuquerque? Can you spell it?
Speaker 1: No? And and you were born in Albuquerque when it was territory.
Speaker 7: I'm not that old. It was the territory of nineteen eleven, became a state in nineteen twelve. We were actually older than Arizona, but less developed.
Speaker 1: My grandfather went to elementary school in Albuquerque when it was a territory with the American natives. No, really, he did.
Speaker 7: And well, so you have quite the show tonight. I got to say, what you and your wife that whole Wow, there's a lot going on. I'm glad you're batching it though. That's great. And well you weren't the binge watcher?
Speaker 8: Do you not?
Speaker 7: Binge? No binging?
Speaker 1: I did watch. I did binge watch. I watched Star City.
Speaker 7: The UTIs, have you seen stars? I haven't.
Speaker 1: In this alternative history, they got there, they got to the moon first, but that isn't what this story is about. This story is about right after they got to the moon first. What happened in Star City after they got to the moon first? What did they want to do next? How did they do it? And how did they all live with each other? How did they communicate the engineer and the security people? It was it's and there are no stars in it. And the fact there are no stars and I couldn't stop watching it means it's a hell of a story.
Speaker 7: Well, well, I'll definitely have to check it out. I guess it's a long list. I have so many recommendations that come in.
Speaker 1: A yeah, but they're not important. They're really not important. My recommendations. What's important? Sir, Yes, sir, I I captain. I'm doing well. I got a lot to tell you to know. Okay, go go okay.
Speaker 7: So Apple, right, they just crossed the five trillion dollar line, Walter, Who I mean, that's a lot of cheese, right, that's a lot of do rey me right, just let that sink in five trillion right. If Apple wore a country, that kind of economic firepower would put it in the same class as the world's top ten economies. And here we are, I have my Apple phone. It'd stand shoulder and shoulder with Germany, India, UK and GDP. And it's not just a company, it's a shadow country with a logo instead of a flag. There you go, the Apple on the back of your phone. And how does a country like that grow? This is what everybody needs to know tonight. It's a it's a conspiracy, but it's real. They don't do it just by selling phones, but by actually slowing your phone down, Walter, pushing you into the next must have upgrade and calling it battery management. So back with the iPhone six and the sixes era, which is, you know, feels like eons ago with the cycling. I think about thirteen years ago. This was your sidekick it. You know, I'm taking pictures in New Mexico, sunsets, my kids first steps, all the memes, all that stuff out there. Then one random Tuesday, my phone starting to act like it had like a smoking habit, you know, three packs a day. It's dragging, the battery collapses and everything feels like it's moving like wet concrete. And I didn't change the phone, did right? Then Apple swoops in with what they call a It gives us a iOS ten dot ten, dot five or whatever. The boring little update It says, we will update once your past fifty percent, improve power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns. Right, they tell you this sounds completely innocuous, harmless. Right, So translation from corporate speak Apple jobs, you know, Tim Cook all that to English. We're going to slow your phone down and hope that you blame it on the battery, not us. And they install a governor in the engine like it's like slowing down your car and never even tell the driver. So independent testers start like poking around, They run benchmarks. They you know suddenly, you know, try to figure it all out. And older iPhones, especially, you know, the ones I was telling you about the six were throttled by software once the battery ages, right, slows it down, and like, why can't get anything done with this thing? So the Internet slaps this name on it and they call it battery gate back in the day. All right, it's not a bug, not a glitch, not a feature. It is just something. It makes you feel like you need to upgrade your phone because it's dying, and I got to go back to the Apple store. So it's a five trillion dollar company. They get caught and they launch in this you know, tech giant apology tour way back in twenty seventeen, and they admit that they deliberately slowed down older phones six, seven, eight and all the way through once the batteries were chemically aged. They called it. But don't worry, it's all out of love, and we've got to make sure that you're taking care of They did it to prolong the life of your device. And then they even you know, dropped you know, some battery credits towards you. They give you like seventy nine bucks. These things are expensive by the way, you know, you know where they're made in China. So they admit it, Walter, that they slowed down your phone, and they swear they would never and never do it again. They would never share it in the battery life of any Apple product or degrade your experience or anything that is going to degrade you know, your opinion of Apple. Well, guess what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Same thing.
Speaker 7: This is plan exactly planned, obsolescens. This is like you know, your dad telling you, like, I'm not tracking in your car, not tracking, Yeah, and he's slowing you down. They're slowing your phone. They said they would never do it again. And how do you think they've gone from two to three to four to five trillion dollars? They did it to prolong the life right now, they didn't. Their thing is they're driving the bottom line. They are selling more phones now than ever. So the legal system wasn't quite as forgiving. They give them a pittance, five trillion against five hundred million. They settle the class action lawsuit in all this, and the regulators oversawved the same pattern. In Europe, same thing. Watchdogs included Apple had engaged in deceptive commercial practices biomission because they didn't adequately inform you or me or anybody else who has an Apple phone that installing those updates could actually slow down the phones. In the UK, they had a collective lawsuit over the iPhone seven eight and the related models, accusing Apple of intentionally thralling devices without telling them. Actually, what's happening all sorts of cords throughout the world, and regulars say you left out important details to the consumer. So from our perspective, you know, here's how this strategy feels. Right, Your iPhone, six, seven, eight, whatever is fine, and then all of a sudden you stall a routine update app apps that you have on there. They start crawling, they're slowing down. Their phone's quieter, their speaker's not working. You weren't given any sort of warning about this. It's just that you were upgrading your experience and you experience this sort of pain that prevents you from being able to use your phone the way that you liked it when you first bought it. So then ultimately you end up at the store. So tech writers are now jumping in on this and they're calling the systemic obsolescence. They're almost expecting it now to the point where you're not even messing with it. They're not smashed in their old phones. You're trading it in and then they you know whatever, I can get a little bit of a credit, and you've been brought into all of this and it's ultimately just driving the bottom line. Like they have more cash on hand. Get this stat, Walter, Apple has more cash on hand than the United States government.
Speaker 1: I believe that, yes, how many trillion did you say?
Speaker 9: Five trillion dollars? From our angle, this is like insulting, right. Their message is like, we change how your phone runs because we know what's best for you, and they insist they never degrade the user experience to drive any sort of upgrades. But the real world effect on me, you and millions of other people, billions of other people around the world thinking their phones are on their last legs and heading to the checkout line and they get fined a pittance and they have some sort of settlement. But this is where I'm telling you. Our phones, the way that power works, in the way that they can actually make more and more and more money, Like we could be using our phone six seven, eight, nine, ten years. There's nothing changing. It's the same thing other than the chips at. Apple has the economic heft, if you will, of a top five country around the world, five trillion dollar market cap. Okay, it can ship software updates on hundreds of millions of devices, change their behavior overnight, no vote by you or me, there's no debate about it, just just a line and the release note, you know, after the fact, and some tech writers and everybody else kind of you know, saying I've got to upgrade my iPhone.
Speaker 7: So yeah, they paid hundreds of millions dollars to subtle these lawsuits, but it means nothing. It's incidentalllion dollars. No, and planned obsolescence is nothing new. It's how General Motor's got to be rich before Japanese cars said well, wait a minute, we can make these cars still last to three hundred thousand miles. And they're all, ohh and they used to only last for fifty thousand miles at the most.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Planned appsolescence is a great American tradition. The other thing that's amazing about them having trillions of dollars in the bank is they never go on sale. Apple products never go on sale. They're never discounted. If a retailer discounts an apple product. They lose the right to sell apple products.
Speaker 7: Walter, I love talking to you. That's the next thing that was going to come out of my mouth was you're right. There is never any sort of promotion as driving the bottom line. It's like, look at the five new colors of the new laptop. Look at the three new colors of the new iPhone. Look at they're just selling you like bells and whistles that have no technological prowess. They are just selling you like a new style, like a new color.
Speaker 1: Or new orange yep or orange. Yeah, oh wow, it's orange. It's one thousand dollars if you want the orange. And that means nobody is looking at how ugly the orange is. And they since Steve Jobs died, there's been no innovative product.
Speaker 7: Now it's still the same iPhone. I was the first in line back in two thousand and seven, when they rolled it off the line and I picked it up, I switched off for my tree. Do you remember the Trio, this device it was like a sort of akin to the U what is that that thing? The BlackBerry whatever whatever they had you know back then, and then before that it was the Palm Pilot. Do you remember the Palm Pilot.
Speaker 1: That wasn't theirs, but the Merlin was theirs. That was the handheld that they So.
Speaker 7: There is a great movie about that. It's called I don't know what it is, something Genius, and it talks about all these guys that were just cramming like all these ideas and they failed, right, and they failed over and over again until finally Steve Jobs released the iPhone and it's really revolutionized everything. But they don't deserve to be a three, four or five trillion dollar company. I mean, you look at the market caps of these these these you know companies, and you look at where the stock market is, and you look at the indexing that's going on. I mean your four oh one k people. You guys are funding all this stuff over and over and over again. And it's like, yeah, the AI is good, and I'm glad that all the AI companies are American. In fact, Hudloaw did a great little job on that. I love Larry. I think he does a great job on Saturday Mornings and he revamps everything. But Larry was talking about this like, yeah, it's good because these are all American companies and we do have to you know, beat the Chinese and beat these other countries, and we're glad it's all here. But at what cost? I mean, it's expensive.
Speaker 1: I had a friend who was rich and when the iPhone came out and there were people in line outside of iPhone stores. It was you know, six hour six, you know, full day lines. Sure, and I an iPhone shows up in my office. He gave me one as a gift and I said, I can't believe that you that you made somebody who works for you to stand in that line. And he said, I paid somebody to stand in that line. So it's a very different worldview that some of us have. All Right, Sure, there's the legendary Eddie Aragon. What's the name of your radio station.
Speaker 7: It is the rockof Talk Rockoftalk dot Com AM sixteen hundred k I v A and Albuquerque. And I want to change my name just for you, Walter. You know, I get all sorts of mail that comes in from the US Postal Service and it's always like miss you know written. A lot of people, you know, you know, say different things about my name is pronounced it whatever, but ed Dragon, Eddie Dragon because they change the A to a D. There's my name.
Speaker 1: Say that again, because now I'm confused.
Speaker 7: Change the A instead of a R, A G O N my last name. Just change the A to a D because it looks like a D anyway, just Ed Dragon, There you go.
Speaker 1: That makes you cool. You think that's going to make you cool?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think so. All right, Ed Dragon, thank you very much for being on the other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling on the Red Apple Audio Networks. There's Andrew in New Jersey. Welcome? Is it in New Jersey?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: See, the computer screen is very far away from me because there are three computer screens here, none of them are anywhere near me. What happened to Andrew? Hello? Okay, good he did not eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. I was looking forward to talking to Andrew because it was intriguing what he was wanted to talk about. But let me tell you what I let me share with you the traumatic evening and day I had today. So here's my traumatic day. All luxury problems, mind you. I'm spending a weekend, well, spending a week at my sister in law's apartment, and I'm there alone, and then yesterday I get informed. I get the notification, the official notification that there will be two other people staying there with me. That never happens. These are distant, vague relatives who I haven't heard or seen in twenty five years. No exaggerations, twenty five years. And I'm like, well, when are they coming here? They said, well, yesterday, so I'm ready to see them yesterday. And then I figure they're there big apartment. I do things. And then today four in the afternoon, I get a text saying they're arriving today. I said, I thought they were arriving yesterday. Listen to this story. No, no, they're arriving today, and they're going to stay in the bedroom. You're staying in What are you talking about. I've already unpacked, I've already slept in the bed. Oh yeah, we need you to make the bed. What mean you need me to make the bed. I I'm Walter Sterling. I don't make beds. I do talk shows. They forgot who I was, so right there there was trouble. They forgot who I was. And they'll be arriving soon and you have to make the bed and you have to sleep in a different room. They're going to sleep in the room you're in, But you told me it was first divs whoever got there first. That's the room you get and you keep because I asked you which room should I be in? No, No, I told you that. Yeah. And I'm like, now I'm getting mad because I have to move stuff. You know, I got to move stuff. And I was happy to be alone and to be happy, and to have to move stuff very dramatic. It's very difficult for me to have to move stuff. They show up and I'm not happy. And worse than that, Neither my wife nor my sister in law tells me I have to do this. They had my middle daughter tell me they're on vacation somewhere. I don't know where. They make The middle daughter tell me this, and I said to her, how did you get stuck having to tell me this? Why are you stuck having to tell me this? Why weren't either of them brave enough to tell me this. I got into a spiritual place and I left the room. I went into the other bedroom, which, oh, by the way, is a laundry room. Not only is there a bed, but there's a washer dryer. Any sheets that may have come up. I could have dealt with it immediately, because now I'm in the laundry room. Then I start getting texts that my wife's annoyed at me for not being gracious about this. You me be gracious? Now, why am I supposed to be gracious about having to make a bed move? Everything be unsettled? Clearly it has rattled me to this moment. How would you have handled it? My poor medium daughter had to deal with this. My sister in law thought it was all funny. She wasn't annoyed. My daughter forgave me. She wasn't annoyed. My wife's still annoyed. She didn't have to do anything. She forgot to tell me, she forgot to ask Andrew Welcome to the other side of midnight.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey, Walter, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Yes, what's up?
Speaker 2: I don't know. You're talking about communication and relationships, and I can definitely relate.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is, I've had it both ways, and you know, sometimes like I had a girlfriend, we were together for four years. We lived together, we had disagreements, like we never fought, like we treated each other with absolute respect. We understood each other very well and we talked about things. We always talked about things. I remember when I went to look for our first apartment in San Francisco, I got along really well with this guy that was rinting out his basement apartment. But he's like, look, I like you a lot, but have your girlfriends and I know you guys are gonna fight. And I was like, no, we really don't. What happened ultimately is the thing is I wasn't really like she was a best friend, not like you know what I mean, we weren't really in love ultimately, and like I just I craved the you know, the madness of most of the rest of my relationships, and it's just I don't know, that's the one time I actually had that, And I mean I did value it, but it just did didn't do it for me. One thing I know I'll say about women, and this is absolute. I hope no one's offended by it. But I've just seen this is that men tend to deal with when we communicate with each other, like it's with fact based regarded what happens would happen. Women generally they remember and hear what they feel, like the emotional impact of what you say and that's why they'll say. That's why they'll see you said I looked fat in this or something, because it's how they felt that. That's one thing I've learned.
Speaker 1: You lived with somebody for how many years?
Speaker 2: Well that one time four years really together, but.
Speaker 1: You weren't You weren't in love with her.
Speaker 2: I loved her very much, very very much. She just like we moved to San Francisco together from here and she didn't take to it the way I did.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a terrible place. It's an awful place to live.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's changed a lot. I gotta say it's worse.
Speaker 10: Two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know people would say that and say that. You know, people always sensational, and then one day is like, you know, I got to check this out. Let me see this homeless mister. San Francisco. It's like, oh my god, really crazy right.
Speaker 1: Well, their main shopping area is completely closed now. Their Union Square main shopping area, which had the most prestigious stores in America, they're all boarded up. Really, Yeah, all of those stores that were on Union Square are boarded up.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 2: Square was like a run and I didn't go there much.
Speaker 4: What is it like?
Speaker 2: The crazy homeless encampment with knife bights. Yes, people get in Shanghai.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was funny. Got it, Andrew, That's a good call. I appreciate everything that you just told me. Eight hundred and eight four eight nine two two two. You and I are on the air in Chicago on WGN. There's a clip called trigger Men, and I want you to play that next. When I point to you, do you hear me? Okay? You and I are triggered differently than women. And this is a pretty good example. Men don't cheat for sex. Men cheat for softness. Men don't cheat for sex, Believe it or not. What they cheat for is what she just said, for respect and kindness. Because a guy's day is a little different than many women realize. A guy's day is all hardness. Got to be tough at work. You have to be tough on the playing field. You have to be tough physically, depending on your job. I saw an amazing job tonight. And then when a guy comes home after that day where he has to make sure that he brings home the goods, he wants somebody to say, how are you doing? And mean it. He wants somebody to say, what can I do? To make you comfortable. This is not this is not being less than, it's being an equal. This is the difference. The difference is that most guys, when they come home or when they're with you, they want you to be charming and kind and sweet. And if he crosses a boundary in terms of what your needs are, you will say them, but you will express it inside your way that he wants to buy in. You will in effect sell. In effect you'll sell eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two two eight hundred eighty four eight nine two two two. This is what keeps us up at night. This is what we take to work with us, isn't it. I have to tell you about this guy so all working today? Oh my gosh. I was walking down a street and I was passing by a loading dock of a hotel. And it's a big hotel, probably five hundred room hotel. Got I hate the way this chuir set up five hundred room hotel and five hundred room hotel. Think about the garbage of a five hundred room hotel that has a restaurant in it and room service in it, and five hundred at least five hundred people staying in this hotel. And now the back the bowels of this hotel is open, and it's open to where the garbage trucks are going to come right about now. But usually you don't see the guard bridge the trash docks. So now we're looking at the trash docks at the back of a hotel. No exaggeration, my friend, there were at least two hundred plastic bags of trash. And they weren't the cute little ones that you have in your kitchen. These were enormous. These were enormous bags. These had to be ten feet across, yes, about ten feet across. And there's one guy taking these bags from the loading dock and putting them on the curb. One guy. Maybe there are more guys inside, but I'm only seeing one guy, and he's taken these enormous bags of garbage and bringing them to the curb. And I took a mental picture of that. You've probably done that sometimes when you've seen something you think is important. There's a mental picture I have. Any time I think that I have any problems, I've got to remember this guy who is I swear he's loading two hundred of these garbage bags. But think about it. Every hotel has that guy, and you and I are working right now. This is the great shift. This is when we do the most important work in any city. We keep it functioning. The busiest time of day is at an airport is right now. This is the busiest time of day at an airport because this is when the great cleaning crews are cleaning. Consider how many people are walking through an airport at any given time. Just think about that and you'll realize that there's a crew working right now to keep it clean. Edward Jones, Do you have Edward Jones? Run down? Says Edward Jones. Do you have him? Did he call in?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: I have to figure out how to get at you a phone number while I'm on the air. Is that what you're telling me? How is that supposed to work? One of you want to run in here and get it from me. I don't fight over it, but either one of you is okay. You don't want to know. You just don't want to know. Remember I was telling you about that guy who showed me I have no problems at work right now. He's very valuable to me. Well, on one second, I want you to hear from Edward Jones who has some pretty good information for us. I'm going to write down this phone number.
Speaker 12: I can't say it, can I I'm on the air. I can't say his phone number on the air. My friend here is getting ready to write down a phone number, which I would have to say on the air, but I'm not going to say on the air. Thank you very much. It's Edward Jones. Welcome to the other side of midnight.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Walter. Great to be with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for spending some time with us tonight. Edward is an expert in military intelligence. He's a former marine. I shouldn't say that all marines are always marines. They're always marines, and they all know each other too, which is particularly fascinating. Ed you have some perspective on our situation in the Middle East and where you think it's going and what we should be aware of, and please go ahead. Edward Jones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks Walter, and yeah for the shout out. You know, what's a marine, always a marine. Let's see, well, you know, for President Trump again, you know, threatened really dire consequences there forward the end of last week and threatening to attack power grids and bridges, water supplies, things of this nature and and he held off again. You know, we've had this is the sixth month, by the way, we just started our sixth month in this this mess over there in Iran, and there have been three three combat actions going on and three three seafires. So it's been the seesaw for the last five going to six months. And President Trump pulled back from his threats. My understanding is that I know for a factor that he had a meeting with his advisors, the closest advisors I presume that would be General Kine and perhaps Admiral Cooper who runs Syncom UH and UH and his White House team on Friday at Camp David and UH, and they talked to him out of it that they just basically said, And he also had been getting phone calls from from Saudi Arabia and golf partners down there saying, you know a couple of things. One is that you know our missile interceptors they're called these these particularly the Patriots and the fads, which are really effective against the ballistic missiles, hypersonic, very high speed ballistic missiles that come in and UH and also the high altitude the FADS go after the ones that are really up there, but they're depleting those stocks and they're really in demand. You know, we can see, you know, what's happening in Ukraine, for.
Speaker 1: Example, but what what's going to happen here?
Speaker 3: What's going to happen is uh, the way I see it, I think we're just gonna be going back and forth worth in this I for eye business. Trump made an announcement yesterday. He's saying that negotiations will begin on Monday afternoon in Tehran. But I'm sorry, and we don't know where they'll be. But he said they're going to be begin Monday afternoon. But I don't see any movement of the negotiators advance, Woodcoff, and Kushner. They're not moving. So I don't know what he means by negotiations. There. There's two kinds of negotiations. There's the direct ones that we saw in Switzerland, which I thought got off to a pretty good start in June there in middle of June, but a week or two later they were running has walked away from the table. But the bed being said, you know, where are the negotiations. I don't see them right now. But I do see the negotiations between Iran and their partner, their closest ally, their only ally really in the Gulf, which is Oman, which uns on the other side of the street, and they're negotiating, been negotiating for the last few weeks. They're still in negotiations about how to control and administer the strait i e. Chrudge tolls. So I'm just really confused right now, Welder. You know, I started this pretty pretty closely. But that's why I say, this thing right now is really really stuck. And I'm not I don't I don't think it's really going to progress very, very far beyond where it is.
Speaker 1: All right, Edward Jones, you don't sound optimistic.
Speaker 3: Right now. No, and I've got other reasons for that as well. I don't know how much time we have this morning, but then but anyway, Yeah, that's that's where i'm right now. I'm watching what what Trump said, you know, the negotiations on it, and he's changed his mind so many times that that's a that's informed in affected the Iranian strategy, which I've said in the very very beginning, Well do you remember this early on in the early days, their goal is survival. They're showing the world they've showed the world now for almost six months that they've survived against the Great Satan, the largest power in the world, the US and the Israelis. The Little Satan is a clone, and they're going to keep doing this. They're gonna keep taking risks. They exercised their strategy of what I call strategic patients. They slow things down. Let's not focus on the US negotiations. We've got the US at bay. We're holding them at arm's length. We'll work with our friends. The omanis to go to work on this straight plan. So you know, it's really very very A lot of stuff is happening. I feel sometimes, Walter, I'm watching a FIFA Championship match with twelve teams on the field at the same time.
Speaker 1: Right, and unlike FIFA a sport, I don't understand. I don't understand what's happening here, and I don't feel we're making any progress. Edward Jones, I thank you for being on the other side of midnight eight hundred and eight four eight nine two two two. You and I are talking to Heidi in the Bronx high Heidi, Yeah.
Speaker 13: I just realized my phone charge is almost off anyway, Hi, Walter, how are you. You were so you were so engaging that one almost have no choice but to call because what you talk about is so relatable to what we all go through in life and different situation. But anyway, a long story short, because I don't want to hold up the phone line. When you talked about the ten feet garbage bags one man loaded, I had a very similar experience with that and the mental picture of that. I had a very similar experienced last Friday night when I took the New Jersey Transit bus after the Lincoln Tunnel. Shortly before it goes into the terminal, they're doing construction around I think it's tenth Avenue, I don't know exactly. So the boss had to stop in the middle of the night and the workers were, you know, with the street lights, doing construction gear. I was at the front of the bus and I saw this one man in the orange gear running from one side to the other moving things that the boss coulk go. And he worked so hard. I never will forget that picture in my head, the way it just told everything about that man, just the way he was working very sincere, took his job very seriously, and he went out of his way to do his job. I never will forget this, and this was one man doing this. I just when I heard you say that, I felt like, oh my god, this is a very similar incident, right.
Speaker 1: And you're the same sort of person, Heidie. I'm sure that you do what you have to do with seriousness of intent, that you're thorough about it. And they're really several types of workers. But to see a gentleman like you saw, see one who I saw, and I think, my friend, if you sit back and just think about your day, we see people like that all day. They're not the vice president, they're not in a fancy suit, they don't get into an uber. They just get it done. They just right, They just get it done. And I bet you're like that too, Heidi, thank you very much for the call. Thank you. Eight hundred eighty four sure, eight hundred eighty four eight nine two two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. You and I are talking about. What she's referring to is I was walking down a street today and there were the big garage door open onto the street that you usually don't see huge garage doors. And there are the trash docks, not the loading docks, the trash docks where all the trash bags from a huge hotel were being taken down. There were, no exaggeration, two three hundred of the biggest trash bags I have ever seen. They had to be ten feet wide circumference, whatever you call it, it's not a math major, at least two hundred. And they had to get from the loading dock to the curb about a thirty foot walk. And there was one guy And I'm watching a little while, I'm like, I don't see another guy. This one guy was taking bag after bag after bag and putting it on the curb on a Sunday night. My hunches that there was no one else schedule there to help him, and he had to get it done in time for the garbage trucks to come and pick it up. And I bet you he has to do that every day because it's a hotel room service rooms. But there's the power of the first shift. There's the power of the great shift that you and I are at a time of day where it's all task. What you and I do is all task. We're not asked for our ideas, we're not asked for how to make this system better. We're asked to get it done with you. Walter Sterling, The Other Side of Midnight from the Red Apple Audio Networks eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. So today I faced a domestic challenge. And the domestic challenge was very simple, staying at my sister in law's apartment alone, plan to stay there alone, and then I find out that two distant, vague relatives were going to show up and I didn't know about it, and that rattles me. But it got worse. I'd have to move the room. I couldn't stay in the bedroom that I'm in. That may not sound like a big deal to you, but remember I sleep at unusual times and I needed to be very cold, so the air conditioner has to be just right. I am a diva when it comes to sleeping a diva. These people show up and I'm told I have to move to the other room and make my bed. The making the bed part was a problem. And then, rather than tell me herself, my wife didn't tell me herself, my sister in law didn't tell me herself. They asked my middle daughter to tell me. The angel, the good one, the perfect one, she had to tell me, said, how'd you get this job? How did you get the job of telling me I'd have to unsettle? Because I was all settled, and ultimately I did move. I refuse to make the bed. I said, I'm not going to make the bed. They can make the bed, and I explained it to them in a way that they were okay with it. And I have I've apologized to my middle daughter because I was not at my best. I was not at my worst. My sister in law thought all of this was funny, so she wasn't really annoyed. No one else would have mattered. And my wife still hasn't forgiven me because what what? Because I had to move? Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. That's the challenge that men and women who love each other react to the simplest things so differently that you and I spend half of our relationships just negotiating those reactions. Fred in New Jersey, Welcome to the other side of Midnight.
Speaker 7: Hi, Hello Walter, Hello friend, I need your help.
Speaker 1: Oh you're in trouble.
Speaker 11: A little bit ago you played I believe a woman talking about disrespecting men. There's some commentary I need that.
Speaker 1: You want to hear that? Here, let's play that again. That would be labeled Oh, now you're asking a lot. Hold on a second, Hold on a second. It's it's you have no idea why this is hard. I have no idea why it's hard either. Wait a second, do do eight hundred and eight four eight nine to two two? You and I can talk. We're talking about the challenge of just doing what we have to do in our personal relationships and then endless challenge. Did you find it? Did you find it? I can't hear you. Yeah, I can't hear you. Hold on a second, what play that? Fred? Is that what you wanted to hear?
Speaker 11: I'm in tears over that. I'm in tears over that. That That sums up my day today, for sure, But so many days I run a fruit and vessel market at a vocal town far market, and people come all day and the disrespect and they just push buttons and it just makes things so hard sometimes. And for me to hear that explains to me that there are people out there who understand certain things that they could that I'm not alone that that was. I wish I can find out who that person was and get a transcripted at.
Speaker 1: Uh fred, I will I will get you that information. Keep listening and I'll get you that information. Walter Sterling the Other Side of Midnight from the Red Apple Audio Network, a known Canadian Dave's Scott Legend spased out radio up to date on all spaced out radio things. Have you seen the TV show Fear City?
Speaker 4: Which TV show?
Speaker 1: It's a series on Apple TV called Fear City.
Speaker 4: No, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is what's cool. It's a alternative history of the space program. And the scenario is that Russia got to the moon first, but that's not what it's about. It's about what happened after that, what happened after.
Speaker 3: That in.
Speaker 1: Stars I'm sorry star City in star City and star City is the Russian cape Canaveral Cape. Kennedy, I always thought it was a much cooler name than we had. It's always been called star City. But it's about the life of people who live in star City, the engineers, the military getting along. How that works in Russia completely different than how it works here. But the story is how they lived and what they did after they beat us to the moon.
Speaker 4: That is a very interesting theory and one of the theories that I've heard of is that the Russian space program actually lost a lot more astronauts up in space, but gave all the credit to Yuri to Garin because they needed to have a national hero for the space program.
Speaker 1: Well, that might have happened, and that was covered in Star City.
Speaker 4: I'll have to look that up. That sounds really interesting.
Speaker 1: It's on Apple TV and it's eight episodes and I don't binge watch. I binge watched that. Once I started watching, I could not stop it. There are no stars in it, that's how strong the story was.
Speaker 4: Oh, that is absolutely excellent. Sounds fantastic.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Dave Scott. Do you have any updates, anything interesting for us to think about.
Speaker 4: We do. Just a couple of days ago, the NDAs for people who have claimed to have whistleblower protection have been lifted, and Eric Burlison, the congressperson who has been spearheading this, said that President Trump has officially lifted the NDAs for current and former personnel who had some sort of contact or understanding of UFO programs within the US government. He believes that's Burlison believes that this is going to be something that opens up the true secrets of what the United States government is currently holding regarding UFO's alien life and unidentified a novelist phenomena. Now, it's great that this has actually been released because now we can kind of start to hopefully move the ball forward to any type of disclosure. But the problem is, Walter, you need people. You need people in order to sign up for this. Now, the kind of people that they need in order to break this story open isn't the person who say, is working for the Air Force as a staff sergeant who goes outside on a cigarette break and see something weird over the base. No, they need people from internal in order to be able to do this in order to try and get any of the news out, to give the stiffing dogs something that they can have a weed on, to try and find out where these programs are being hidden number one, but number two, who is currently holding any potential crash retrievals and or alien bodies? And right now, in the people that I have talked to leading up to this, they don't believe anybody is actually going to come forward. And there's a strong reason for that is because many of these people who leave government programs, they usually want to be hired on as contractors or some sort of liaison towards defense companies or contracts in the military industrial complex. And they don't want to shut the doors on anything that they may perceive as UFO or United States technology that hasn't gone through. And the last thing, if you're on a hiring board, it's kind of like trying. You know, you open up a position and you see somebody with blue hair and a septum ring in their nose, You're going to think twice about whether or not you want somebody with pronouns coming in. And I say that in jest, but the fact is they really don't want somebody who is going to be a mouthpiece to secrets that are being hidden by the government. It's basically, you're either going to retire, you're planning on retiring, and you're done with work, and that way you don't have to hold on to any secrets anymore. And those are the type of people who would might maybe do this whistleblowing thing. But the people say who are still paying off a mortgage, still have a family, maybe kids at college, who are needing there for a one k, who are needing their jobs or potential.
Speaker 1: So you don't think you don't think that the lifting of the NDAs is going to result in anybody turning over their secrets?
Speaker 4: I don't think so why would it? And here's the fact. Here's the other thing problem with this NDA lifting as well, Walter, is that let's just say you have an NDA, it gets lifted, okay, and you want to you want to talk about this, you don't get to talk or publicly about it. You can't go on Fox News or CNN because that's part of the agreement that they can only talk to Senate and Congress people behind closed doors. They are not allowed to go public.
Speaker 1: Oh so they can only talk to the echo chamber.
Speaker 4: Basically, yes, yes, And I don't know where the transparency is in that. I mean, great, it's a step forward. All the people are saying the right things. This is a giant step forward towards getting this disclosure movement done. And then they remind us this is a marathon, not a sprint. But if you're going to have people and allow them to talk to Congress, why does Congress get to hold onto the secrets? Doesn't Congress work for the people, and don't the people have a right to know I think they do.
Speaker 1: Dave Scott, how do we find you online.
Speaker 4: Spaced out Radio dot com or you can find me on YouTube spaced out Radio, or download any of my shows free on Spotify, iHeartRadio, iTunes and many more podcast networks.
Speaker 1: But the best thing is on spaced Out Radio slash shop. You can fine sweatshirt T shirt with Walter Sterling in a flying saucer.
Speaker 4: That's right, and you fly it well, my friend, you're the best.
Speaker 1: Fly it well, you're the best, thanks, Dave Scott. All right, it's eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two with Ivy in New York. Welcome to the other side of midnight. Yes, hello, Hi, you're on the air. You're on the air with Walter Sterling.
Speaker 14: Yes, can you hear me perfectly? Yes, thank you, mister Sterling. It's Irene. I they irene. But anyways, I wanted to express to you my point of view when you were referred when you're telling the stories staying by your relatives, right, yes, and I understand that they're wealthy, correct you said that, yes the beginning, yes, and when so okay, when you deal with wealthy people, you have to sit their paradigm. You have to play by their rules. It's their way or the highway.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 14: It's very very well family included. They don't stand on ceremony very rarely. I don't want to say barely. You know my experience and experience of people that come in contact with and my daughter is also she went to a private college, undergrad grad school and she has you know, had friends that came from money, whether they inherited it or earned or their inherited it or their parents earned it. They are very nice, very nice, very easy going, where when everything goes smoothly, when something doesn't shoot them, they don't want to know you. They do it very politely, but it's do you understand what I'm trying to point. I'm trying to bring a curse and the whole personalities can change. I experienced it personally in a dating settings with men and encounter dated You didn't have to be a lot, but you know, I know that behavior very well.
Speaker 1: You know, and how did you deal with it?
Speaker 14: How did they deal with it? Well? Well, each situation is different with family. At one time I just distanced myself. It was difficult, extremely difficult. That wasn't therapy because family you can disinherit, you understand. And I had a family members since deceased who would talk to me like you would give me orders, just like a close very close you know. I you know, it was a male and a femail and you know. And and when my daughter experienced said she didn't break it down for me. But I just know how is I had met a man as an example, for instance, I don't know, twelve fifteen years ago, whose family is in a commercial real estate, extremely rich, extremely and I wouldn't understand his behavior because I thought, you know, she spoke with the statisticated things. I mean, you know, I understand his but I remember how I we were in a restaurant one time, and he was he invited me to a gallery and this and that and the arts that. So he took me to a restaurant in Manhattan, in the city, in the town and the viewers, and he was telling me what to order, how to sit, not to ask questions of the waiters, you know, if I had an equations to address them to him whatever. And then suddenly I remember he picked myself up, he like through the menu, you know, not at me at the table and just walked out. I mean he paid, you know, we were just getting appetizers, appetizers. I was in shock, in shock.
Speaker 1: I remember, well, I can understand. I totally understand. Listen, this was great information. It's a good reminder the rich are different than you and me. But you're a great friend to this show. Thank you very much for calling the Other side of Midnight. It has always been a puzzle to me about the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages came after the period of enormous architectural growth around the world. The Pyramids came after the Pyramids. It came after the incredible astronomical work that was done in Alexandria and in South America, and then suddenly a thousand years we did nothing. Does that make any sense at all? Let me make it po more practical and simple for you, because this is one of the great mysteries of human kind. Think about your family history. What you know of your family, grandma, grandpa, all of the DNA tests that you could take. Think back before nineteen fifty, the stories you heard before nineteen twenty, the stories you heard before nineteen hundred, and now go back to eighteen fifty. What do you know of your family before eighteen fifty. I'll bet it's mystery. I'll bet you don't know anything about your family before eighteen fifty. Now, they were writing books before eighteen fifty. There were logs, there were histories. The Vatican libraries are packed with information before eighteen fifty. Libraries around the world, Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, those libraries have books from before eighteen fifty. But you don't know anything about your family before eighteen fifty. Is it possible? Is it possible that the calendars were adjusted by the elites to maintain power. Michelle Gibson, who is a researcher and an academic, she's on our show frequently, and what she says is that a signific amount of time was taken out of our calendar, out of our history, and made things happen much sooner, much more recently than we believe. She says that many of the things that we think happened long ago did not happen long ago. That hundreds of years were taken out of our calendars, hundreds of years. That the Holy Roman Empire did not end a thousand years ago, it ended maybe five hundred years ago. Consider the Roman roads, consider the aqueducts are just fine. The aqueducts in Rome still work, they still carry water to the Roman Empire. The roads in northern England that were built by the Romans, they're still there. They're better than the Jersey Turnpike. They're better than RUT eighty, which always, for some reasons, needs to be fixed. Why does RUT eighty always need to be fixed when the least used parts of Route eighty are never are always the ones in trouble. It's it's the least used parts of Root eighty that they're always fixing. Why is that? But there? It is. Our memories don't go back as long as they should with information that's readily available, and many of the major events were told happened five hundred years ago, a thousand years ago, that that isn't what happened, and that information about the Middle Es, sorry, the Middle Ages, the Dark period of our history was made up eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. You and I talk about Tartaria, we talk about the land grab. In eighteen fifty there was an enorm an, enormous, astronomical event fire in the sky, major explosions. Telegraph operators said their telegraphs went down. Nothing worked. At the same time, there were massive weather challenges, there were mud floods. Mud floods wiped out cities. The elites of the day went to those cities where people had lost their homes, the buildings, their architecture, they had lost everything, and the elites of the day went in and just grabbed the land. They went in and grabbed as much as they possibly could, and that's how they built their wealth. They built their wealth by stealing the land that was destroyed by fires and mudslides. That's what happened. That's one of the great mysteries. In eighteen hundred, every school map, in every elementary school, every high school, every school map had a country called Tartaria. Tartaria all of Central Asia. And by nineteen hundred it was gone. What do you mean it was gone? Where did that go? These were This was an empire without posts around the world, amazing architecture, ether electricity, power that was captured from the air, lay lines that were captured from the ground that powered these cities, lit these cities, heated these cities and then was destroyed. Why would that have been destroyed. It was destroyed because it was free. And at the same time standard oil, the oil barrens were establishing. They were starting to drill oil, and they got it out and they're like, well, wait, we want to manufacture this heat. We want to manufacture this electricity in this light. They wanted to put a meter on it. You and I are on in Chicago on the Great WGN Radio, the Great WGN Walter Sterling, the other side of midnight. You and I can talk at the live radio show Sunday into Monday on the First Shift, the Great Shift eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. These are the biggest mysteries there are. How is it possible that the world had free electricity? And that Tesla knew this? Tesla will be the first to have said you can find it everywhere in his writing that he did not come up with the idea of free electricity. He did not come up with the idea of capturing ether and turning it into heat and light. He didn't do that. He said, this has been done before, and all he wanted to do was establish it, make it work, distribute it for free. Because that's who he was. It's the biggest mystery of our time eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two two with Walter Sterling. Now there are other mysteries. They are more urgent and current mysteries that I want to share with you. One of the big campaigns among generations Z is that they stop going to bars. They don't want to go to the bar anymore. They're not drinking. And many sociologists are saying, well, it's because they don't want to have They don't want to be drunks. They want to live a love healthy lifestyle. They want to have wellness. They'd rather do things that represent wellness. Go to the gym, meet each other at the gym, meet each other in social things, playing cards, traditional board games, all of that. And that's a lot of nonsense. The reason there's a traumatic drop in alcohol consumption among eighteen to thirty four year olds is marijuana. That pot is legal, and what you used to go and get a martini over the day, they're having a joint over the day. That's what it is. I don't know why that In none of the reports about the decline in alcohol consumption, which is a significant decline, there are distilleries and distribution centers that are out of business. There are distilleries that have gone bankrupt in the last two years because business is down. Business is down. But then there are other wacky things that I hear from gen Z's that I hear from my daughter. My daughter's about to go to work. She just got out of college, she just graduated from college, and she is going to work. And one of the things that she and her friends readily discuss, openly discuss is how much they're getting paid. And when you were about to enter the workforce, one of the things that your mother or father said to you is do not tell anybody what you're getting paid. And your mother and father were right, do not tell anybody what you're getting paid. My daughter, I had to have this serious conversation with her, Well, everybody should know what everyone else is getting paid. That's how you may make sure you're all getting paid fairly. No, that's not how you all know. First of all, you're assuming a lot. You're assuming the other person's telling you the truth. Secondly, you're assuming that you don't have some nda in that package of stuff you got from your employer that says you will not reveal that information. Nowhere is it encourage It's not a good idea. Well, everybody knows that credit bureaus know. No major mistake, major misunderstanding of what credit bureaus do, kreit, no cred. No place can you go online and find out what somebody else makes for a living unless they have volunteered it. It is not reported, and in fact, most companies view it as a corporate secret. It's a trade secret and the worst thing an employer can do.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: In many states it's still legal, but it's not still legal in New York State. In many states it's still legal. When you sit down for a job interview the person across from you. If they say to you, so, what are you making now? What are you earning? Now? Don't answer that question. It's none of their damn business. And the way to answer it is to say, I signed an NDA with my current employer that I would never reveal that, And you might ask me the same to do the same thing, and I'll be happy to I will treat that as a trade secret, no problem, because they would love to know what you're making. Because boom, you're busted. You're not going to get any more money than that. You're going to get just about that much money. Worst thing you could do is reveal to an employer, what's your potential employers what you're making. But even one worse is to reveal to your friends what you're making. Even worse the But that's definitely a generational thing where my daughter who's twenty four, she believes that it's a good thing, that it's the right thing to do. It's the way to bust the man. How's that a way to bust the man? What that does is it's going to keep your salary right there. And if somebody is particularly good at their job and deserves more, they're not going to get it because if they're telling everybody what they're making, that puts the employer in the jackpot. Then the employer has a problem. If you've done a great job, you deserve a raise, you deserve a bonus. Good for you, it's your business. Don't tell anybody what you make, because then the employer's got a problem, which is, oh, you've told everybody what you make, and now they're all in line with your employer to say, can I have that? Can I make that? Why you're giving them to Susan, and then they're stuck explaining why they gave that to Susan and not you. And they have learned a valuable lesson, which is to not give anybody a raise. Genius, got it? Real work experiences eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Yes, the So those are those are my frontline pieces of advice to my daughter. I also heard her on the phone with another worker at her upcoming business where she's about to work. First thing, Hey eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two The great challenge, Well, what does that mean? Does that mean yes or no? Okay? No answer? Thank you? Eight hundred eight four eight nine two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. That's our big challenge, my friend. Our big challenge on any given day is not the job. It's not the health. Usually the big challenge is just making it all work, making it work with your relationships. That's the mystery is getting along. I've got some stuff to play for you, but that requires me having to find it. But in the meantime we will talk to Larry and Tampa Welcome to the other side of Midnight. Hi, Larry, Hi, Hello, we get them cued up, we tell them we've got to go, go go, and Walter answers the phone. Bum Hi, Larry, welcome. Okay, no, I know it's it's my show. Let's see what did I want to share with you? I had a bunch of good things. Give me one second, hold on, there it is. Let's see, all right, William, Let's do oh play Love Island. Let's get an update on Love Island. All right, let's get an update on Love Island. And there we is. Larry Ready, can I talk to Larry? Now? How was I gonna know that psychic? Is this a psychic friends network? Larry, Welcome to the other side of Midnight.
Speaker 15: High Thank you, Walter. I was a little off there. But what my question is to you is I would like to lobby the milk industry and I would like to see how who to contact to try to see the regulations of the milk industry be required to go back to the standard where milk is issued into the glass bottles. Is I think that the plastic industry is killing us. It's getting into the milk and the water. Maybe the same for the water industry.
Speaker 1: William, do you have that cart ready? Do you have that cut ready that I discussed a minute ago? Are you ready to run that cut? All right? On my cue? Okay, what are you talking about, Larry? Do you have a lot of free time? I mean, why are you worried about this?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 15: I have free time. But the reason I'm worried about this is because I think that plastics are getting into our food by way of water and milk and the uh, the microwave, and it's causing a lot of cancer in the the colon cancer, and I think we should all be worried about it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate the call certain citizens.
Speaker 1: Well you know exactly what to do, you don't, you know? You don't call me to ask that. You know exactly what to do with that. You know exactly how to get back to the standard of glass. First of all, I get my milk delivered and it's delivered in glass bottles. I get it now. Thank you for the call. Yeah, I do. It's there are many milk delivery services that specifically will deliver in glass bottles.
Speaker 15: Well, anyway, I think we should contact our congressman.
Speaker 1: Then don't don't tell me to do that. You can do that, but that isn't going to get it. Yeah, what that isn't how you get it done.
Speaker 15: The way you get it done people, Okay, the other way you get it done.
Speaker 2: Un listen.
Speaker 1: You send letters to the milk companies and ask them how can I get it delivered in glass bottles? And you know what, they all will do it. Thank you for the call. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two with Walter Sterling on the other side of Midnight. Now, what did I want to talk to you about? Uh? Let me yes? Uh okay, yes, play that thing that I wanted you to play. Thank you.
Speaker 16: Love Island, USA couple has officially caught it quits. Season seven stars Clark and Taylor have reportedly ended their relationship just a little over a year after leaving the villa together. According to People, a source close to Clark says she made the difficult decision to part ways with Taylor.
Speaker 1: And wish can I give you the titles here and correct them to come right up?
Speaker 16: Is that possible time they shared together and for everyone who showed them line support from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: So my Mic was on, just now, what let's see, let's talk about, let's talk, let's do I know what, let's do, Let's do what we normally do it fifty Are you ready to go at the fifty break? Can we do that? Go to the fifty break, play the fifty break? Okay, all right, give me a second. And you at eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. What's keeping you up? Usually the trouble is this, we want to rewrite the past impossible, or we want to predict the future impossible. That's what keeps most people up. And you are at the at work on the great shift, the late shift, and you're thinking about stuff you don't want to ruin your day. What ruins our day? What makes our day great? What makes our day great? It isn't the day, it's an event. It's one thing. I want to know what your one thing is. It's eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. It's a live radio show with Walter Sterling. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Oh my gosh. What Yes, a website waltersterlingshow dot com and an email, but I'd rather have you call, so I'm not going to give you the email I'd rather have you call eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two that thing, that one thing that's eating at you or that you're making really happy. The other side of midnight, Red Apple Audio, notte all right, it's you and me at eight hundred eighty four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. It's the other side of midnight, which brings up the key issue, how many sides of midnight are there? Are there just two? Or are there four? Or they're ten. These are the existential questions of our time. These are the things that people are perspiring over right now. My existential threat at any given moment is the dishwasher. The dishwasher is always speaking to me. It has been speaking to me since I was sixteen, when my mother first said to me, empty the dishwasher. It was my first chore. And you know, I have three teenage daughters and it exhausts them. The possibility of emptying the dishwasher is something they can't begin to deal with. If one of them does empty the dishwasher today and then tomorrow I say, could you empty the dishwasher please, they will say, but I did it yesterday, and I said, yes, I know, but could you do it today? And they will say, but I did it yesterday because it's such an exhausting task. And then I think about the man I saw tonight who was standing behind the hotel on the loading dock with at least two hundred bags of garbage ten feet across at least, and he was going to take each of them from the loading dock to the curb. A true midnight misfit, a true third no sorry, first shifters, a great shift. But again it goes down to who we are. We are the ones. We are the task masters. We're the ones who get it done. We don't waste our time on theory. We don't waste our time filling out forms. We don't waste our time making forms. That's for the day people. The day people handle all of that because it makes them happy. It would make us miserable if you and I are put in a situation where we have to generate forms, create forms, if we have to fill out forms, we're miserable. When they stick a form in your locker or your mailbox, I know what you do. You lose it, that's what you do. And then a month later they go the you fall out that farm, and you go, I didn't get a form. That's what you and I do. Our day is made up of really odd things. If you break down the day, if you deconstruct it, what's our day made out of? Our day is made out of pieces that collectively can cause us to say, God, I've had a great day today, or gosh, I had a terrible.
Speaker 8: Day to day.
Speaker 1: But when you deconstruct it is to like, what was the terrible part of the day. Usually it comes down to the printer. Many of our joyful moments and tragic moments are the printer. If the printer kick causes trouble, We've had a terrible day. Why do you have a terrible day? The printer the damn printer. And then we start to explain what a curse the printer is. We have to get a new printer. Ran out of stuff. It said that it was empty, it had no more ink, but then when it kept printing, it still had ink. That's the lie. That's their installed expiration date. That's the installed obsolescent, which is it tells you that it's out of ink when it's not out of ink at all. We've experienced that with the battery in the iPhone. Eddie Arrogan or Eddie Dragon explained that to us that the iPhone heats up on purpose. They and by the way, you can search iPhone too hot, the battery is too hot, and it tells you the settings to change that I've done on my phone and all of a sudden the battery was fine and it stopped heating up. But really that's what it is. The iPhone's annoying us. The iPhone's heating up. My gosh. The printers out of ink, the paper jams. Those are the things that ruin our day. And one of the things that has been really stupid. Not true of the company I work for here, not true of the Red Apple Audio Networks, in fact, quite the opposite, but one of the things that many companies has really screwed up. There are people in other companyanies. You won't believe this, in other businesses and other retail businesses that have people to fix the printer. What yeah, they have people. They have guys just to fix the printer so you don't have to waste your time and energy. There are people actually hired to fill out the FedEx form, to do the postal stuff.
Speaker 8: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're called assistance. If you want to get fancied, they're called executive assistants. Some places call them secretaries. Most of them have been eliminated, especially in industries that are consolidating and consolidating industries, those people are eliminated. That is the biggest, stupidest, the falsest economy. A company can make the dumbest economy. I'll tell you. I'll tell you what company not to do business with. If you get off an elevator, you're going to go see a company, you're going to go deal with, maybe a new doctor or a lawyer or some horm and you get off the elevator and you're looking for a receptionist. You're looking for somebody to smile at you and say hello. But you don't see them. Now at this company, you get off the elevator, you see somebody who will smile and say hello to you and greet you. That is the proper way to do it. It's almost common sense, but way too many don't have that. Instead, you know what they have. They have the dumbest greeting, the most inefficient greeting possible. They have a trimline phone and the trim line phone is hanging on that wall, and next to it is a directory of extensions. What, Yeah, they like to have ten names and you're supposed to die the extension of that person. That's how you get in. And then you look at the list of names and is the name of the person you're there to see on that list? No, it never is. And then you got to guess. You got to guess which which three digit code should you dial? And that's how you're greeted. That's not a greeting. That's a challenge. It's not even a video game. It's not even a good challenge. But that's how stupid companies will greet you because why because they wanted to save on a receptionist. Meanwhile, that receptionist can be doing many other things and does do many other things if they're good. It's called a starter job. Or there are people who love it. They're task people, daytime people. But that's where it gets stupid when assistants and secretaries get cut and you're expecting an executive to fill out the FedEx form and to fix the printer, and to deal with the challenge of the printer, and to deal with the challenge of the copier in addition to all of their other tasks. Here's the danger. A person who works on the part of their brain that's fixed the printer, the fixer fix the printer part of their brain, at the end of the day, can think they've really achieved something. They can decide, boy, you know, I had a really good day. I got stuff done. No, you fix the printer. If they didn't do anything that can generate new money for the company, if they didn't do anything that can generate profits for the company, they haven't done anything. But they fix the printer, they fix the copier, and they start to believe that that's an achievement and are satisfied. It's much harder to come up with new ideas ways to sell things. Selling things, that's much harder. But many a company will give their workers a false sense of economy, a false sense of achievement by letting them think that filling out that FedEx form, My god, that's a great day. That's just fantastic. Is any of this familiar to you? Experience this? There was a time when the guy who came to fix your phone in your house, he had a truck and in that truck was extra phones, cable, nick knacks to make your phone work better, and if you two got along, he'd give them to you. He'd give you a couple nick knacks, he'd give you an extra cord, he'd give you an extra phone. And you loved that guy, and you loved that phone company. Now all of that's inventoried, cataloged. You say to the guy, Hey, you got one of these on the truck. He goes, I used to I don't anymore. Lots of false economy. Jim and Staten Island. Welcome to the other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. Hello Jim, Hey, Walter.
Speaker 17: I was a printer technician. I repaired those crazy things.
Speaker 1: How hard was that job?
Speaker 17: Ah, dealing with people. People get a little frustrated when they're dealing with the printers. I did copies too. But a great scene in the movies Office Space when the guys that get fired they take the printer out into a park and the three take the three guys that did software or something, they beat up the printer.
Speaker 1: Two weeks ago, Jim, two weeks ago, I took out a printer. I took it to its final resting place in my backyard. I beat the hell out of it for exactly that reason, and it felt good. Did you ever do that, Jim? Or did you have too much of a relationship with the printers? Oh?
Speaker 17: No, you know I was intimate. I'm I have relationship with inanimate objects. I fixed things, so I can't beat I can't do that. So but I know hooking them up now is the nightmare because you got to hook them up the router now a nightmare, and they frustrate you even I struggled with that for hours, and then I took it, stuck in it. My son gave it to me. I stuck it in the closet. I'm not going to use it ever again.
Speaker 1: As an expert on printers, which brand do you like best?
Speaker 17: The old IBM lasers are the best. I would stay away from the cartridge stuff, and I would stay away from anything that goes through your router because that gives them a path into your home for the weird, you know, the the sci fi stuff. Once once you give them your password to your router to print a piece of paper, they control you. So you want to stay away from.
Speaker 1: That, Jim, that is insanely useful advice. And I thank you, I really do, thank you. Thanks for listening and thanks for calling. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two. Walter Sterling, The Other Side of Midnight Red Apple Audio Network eight hundred eight eight nine two to two. Eight hundred and eight four eight nine to two two. Let's see, let's see the.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 1: I'm challenged when I talked to my my gen Zer when she says that she and her friends are sharing information on their new jobs, about what they do for a what they get paid, what they get paid, and I'm like, I don't know, it's it seems like a really bad idea to me. And I'm thinking about our day when you and I go to work, when we work on the first shift, the great shift, and we are challenged by the fact that it isn't a bad day, and it isn't a good day. It's one thing. There'll be one thing that bothers us, there'll be one thing that makes it a great day. But we generalize, we make it to something much bigger than it is, or something much less than it is. Right, That's what we're up against. That's our challenge. And when so I was thinking about today. I had a tough day today. All day, it was a tough day. I was at home. I was staying in my sister in law's apartment and my sister I had the apartment alone, right, I had the apartment for the whole day. And then I found out that others were going to be staying there, that I was going to have to have others staying there, And then I had to deal with my sister in law, my daughter, my wife, all of whom had deep thoughts for me that I should. I'd have to change my bed, I'd have to change the bedroom, I'd have to do all my gosh, and then I'm like annoyed, Oh, annoyed, can't have that. And those are the actual challenges. Those are the mysteries of what you and I have to deal with when we are dealing with relatives. And what I have found best. I don't know how this works for you, but what I have found best and my relationships is that I'm not actually part of my marriage. I view my marriage as none of my business. Let her talk to her sister, let her talk to her brother about it. But my marriage is really none of my business as long as I stay out of my marriage. Things go well. There was a situation today in New York where there's a group of kids in a special section of a school called Eyebrand. And these kids are in Eyebrand and you and I don't have any problems. You and I don't have any problems. The Eyebrand kids are kids who have been physically have physical head injuries that you and I can't even imagine what it's like. We just can't even imagine what it's like. And the let me just see you and I can't even imagine what it's like. So there are thirty kids in the special group. It's called Eyebrain. I'm sorry, Ibrain, I'm like, why am I saying?
Speaker 3: I Bran.
Speaker 1: They're in Eyebrain and they're thirty kids, special ed kids, but they have severe brain injuries. But there's a federal government subsidy to the school district that takes care of them, gets them to school, It gets them to class, it makes sure that they have lunch, and make sure that they're fine. And that's been so for a couple of years. This week it was stopped. This week it was stopped and as a result, well, these kids who thought they were going to go back to school tomorrow. They're not going back to school tomorrow. There's been a bunch of lawsuits and what the what was changed as a federal judge threw out a I don't know what they call it. It was a hold. It was a delay of doing anything to the kids until the lawsuit between the parents and the school district was stopped and settled between the kids and the school district was settled. Until that was settled, they were not they didn't have to stop taking care of the kids. Well, a federal judge said that pause is not okay, it's not all right. We're not going to respect that, and instead we're going to cease funding. So here are these kids. They're young kids, are like eight to twelve, and they're not going to let them go back to school. They're not going to have the funds to go back to school. First, it has to be settled in court. And the delay in enacting that was lifted by a federal judge. This is the challenge of special ed. If you have a special ed kid, if you know a special ed kid, there's a part to it that is not discussed, and I'm going to discuss it. It's this that special ed kids need special funds that for the school to take care of a special ed kid. The law says that a school district, a public school district. The law says a public school district must educate that kid. Then the parent has to agree to what it is that they're being educated, how they're going to be educated. The school district is only obligated you ready for this, to put the kid in a classroom. That's all they're obligated to do, is to put your kid, a special ed kid with extraordinary needs from autism to a praxia in a classroom. That's all they're required to do. Meanwhile, if they can't accommodate your kid, listen to this, If they can't accommodate your child, they have to say. You have to then say you're not accommodating my kid. And there's all this form and all this paperwork, and these kids are screwed. Part of the reason that they're screwed is that accommodating special at kids is an enormous task for a school district. It's an enormous task, and not every teacher is capable of working with these children. Of course, not because every kid who has special needs is different. You can say, Gee, they have a praxi or they have autism, they have this motor skill challenge, they have this reading challenge, they are they have dyslexia. But those are all a huge variety, a huge variety, a huge scope of those things. And you and I are on the air in Chicago on WGN, Thank You WGN with Walter Sterling on the other side of Midnight at eight hundred and eight four eight nine two two two, and what I came to learn with my special ed kid? And the minute you have a special ed kid, what do you learn? You learn that all the other parents have similar challenges and the challenges are these the school district says, we're taking care of your kid, and then you find out that the school district really can't and isn't. And you say, well, we want this money to go to this special ed school or to homeschooling or to tutoring or whatever it is. They have to agree to that. And if they don't agree to it, here's the magic word mediation. You find yourself with a mediator, You find yourself starting to have mediation, and you walk into these wacky settlements that are involve enormous amounts of money, incredible amounts of money, and they are mysterious in that there are no guidelines, there's no consistency. You have to hire a lawyer. If you hire a lawyer, you find out that in the settlement, the school district paid for the lawyer, and in fact, the lawyer is working for the school district. Oh my god, And it goes on and on. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two. I have a tremendous empathy with these thirty kids in the New York City school system that are in a special program called Eye Brain that was put on hold this week. And these kids, they're not going to school until the settlement is made. Until there's a settlement between the school district and the kids parents. It's a crappy situation, all right, Walter Sterling. Exciting to be with you. And now we're starting our work week. This is the special time that you and I get where we're getting back to work, which is much better than being back with the relatives, much better than the existential threat of the dishwasher, the existential threat of the teenager who doesn't think, Oh I love the cats. I enjoy being with the cats so much. You love the cats? Yes, I really do. Oh that's fantastic. Are you gonna empty the litter box?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not emptying the litter box. But you said you love the cats. I'm not emptying the litter box. They're threatened by the litter box. The other side of Midnight, Greg in Brooklyn, Welcome to the other side of midnight.
Speaker 10: Hello Greg, it's an honor to speak with the Walter. Hope things are well with you this morning, sir.
Speaker 1: I hope things are well with you and Marinie Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm a Franciscan brother of Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 10: And I lived with the other brothers and my favorite house tour, because we all share chores, is to empty the dishwasher.
Speaker 1: Now why do you think that is? Do you view it as a spiritual event to empty the dishwasher?
Speaker 10: Well, one thing, it is serving my brothers. But the other thing is it simply means that I've eaten.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 10: I don't know if you've I don't know if you've considered sharing with your children that they're probably about a billion or two billion people who would love to empty the dishwasher, because that means they've had nice meals the day before or even that day.
Speaker 1: One of the mistakes that I believe people make with children is they give them math for an emotional issue or a practical issue. So, for example, when a parent says, you know you're going to have a time out, I'm going to give you a ten minute time out. That's insane because no nine year old has a concept of time. And if I were to say to a sixteen year old, two billion people would give anything to have a dishwasher empty, That'll mean nothing to them. But if I said to them, but if I said to them, the dishwasher means that you have food, that's all I'd have to say, the dishwasher means you have food, That would do it. Putting it on a grandiose and impossible do envision scale would not do it. It's like when people used to say, you know, children in China are starving, Well, they didn't know where China was. Sure right now, a Franciscan friar, what do you guys make bread?
Speaker 10: No, we have ministries. Our congregation has been here since eighteen fifty eight, and we've been in education, so in high schools, grammar schools. I'm over at beautiful Saint Francis College in downtown Brooklyn. That's my ministry.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: You got a good assignment, very very.
Speaker 10: Good as Sami. Yeah, I love my work. I say thank God for Monday. I know it's Monday morning, so I say thank God for Monday.
Speaker 1: I say thank God for you listening. I appreciate your time. I appreciate your call. Thank you very much for calling the other side of midnight. All right, eight hundred and eight four eight nine two to two two. Do we have the answer to that dilemma there? The printer problem. We have a printer problem, Ladies and gentlemen. We have a printer problem. And you know, I could solve that printer problem, but I didn't get it any other way. I don't have it any other way. They want me to look at something, and I can't really look at something because this is this has been one of those special shows where everything's gone wrong technically, like every conceivable thing that could go wrong went wrong. It's rare. Actually, it is rare because things tend to be well run. Ready, listen, listen carefully, you hear that that's my phone. No spam calls, no spam texts. I love the silence your phone probably not so quiet. Here's why data brokers are selling your personal information like it's on clearance. Your phone number, home address, email, family members, political affiliations, even where you bank. Those scammers blowing up your phone didn't didn't they didn't get lucky. They bought your information, and they'll keep buying it over and over until you make it stop. I did within Cogni's help, I n cog n I in Cogni automatically removes your personal information from hundreds of data brokers and people's search sites. In Cogni sends the legal remover request. There's a there's a legal way to get it stopped, but you and I don't have time. We don't know how to do that. But in Cogni does. They follow up. They keep monitoring it so you your info stays off of those lists. If scammers can't find you, they can't target you. If spammers can't find you, they can't bother you. Get sixty percent off right now at in Cogni dot com slash sterling. That's in Cogni dot com slash sterling st e r l I n G because the sweetest sound your phone can make is nothing at all. It's the biggest all night show in American radio. It's It's just Us on WGN KMOX, Oh my god, WABC in New York, Katieka. This is what a big time radio show is supposed to sound like. Sort of almost, But I like talking to you. It's the reason I do this show is that you and I get to talk. And I was sharing you with you the I had a difficult weekend. I had a difficult weekend because I had to deal with in laws, which is never good for me. I had to deal with the challenges of having a special needs kid and we have to start school soon and it's going to be homeschool. And when I first had a homeschool her, I was very nervous because she's a social animal. This is a kid who likes to hang out with people. She likes. She will be your friend. If you meet her, she will be your friend. And it turns out that this made her more social that by homeschooling her, she became more social because she had downtime, she had recovery time. She was able to take it easy and deal with the fact that she's although social is a type of introvert that needs to be alone, and at least she knows it. It's interesting a lot of introverts, don't. They think there's something wrong with them. You know, you and I work at this time of day because we don't want to be bothered with people. We don't want to know other people. This is who we are. We're not group thinkers, we're not brainstormers. That's not what we do. We sit in the back of the cave. Give me the problem, Let me sit in the back of the cave. I will solve the problem and I will bring it back out. That's what we do. But you put me in a group think situation. You put me in a brainstorming situation. I can't do that. I'll shut down the minute I'm in with a group and I hear somebody at the front of the group say I believe in team players. Really, I don't want anything to do with team players. I want to deal with individual thinkers, innovators. Does that make sense. I don't want to know about team players. I don't want to. I don't want to people. I'm not on a team. I'm not Travis. I'm not Travis. I'm not on a team. That's not who we are. We get to be this. We get to be working the great shift, the late shift. We get to take our problems to the back of the cave. We get to sit alone and we need the alone time. And that's what my special needs kid has. She gets alone time because she homeschools in her bedroom with her laptop on the zoom. That's what works for her. And they, and you know who they are, are just figuring that out. They're just figuring it out that there are different types of introverts, they're different types of extroverts. There are people who are both introverts and extroverts. Don't even want to know about them, but it's all different. Those are the challenges. And that's my recommendation to you, my friend. My recommendation to you is that if you want to binge. I'm not a binge TV watcher. I don't like to binge TV. Whenever I hear somebody say, well, you know, I binge that show on bitch, I always think they're weak they have a weakness. What do you mean you binge that show? What's that about? But this show Star City whoa it's not really a science fiction show. It's an alternative history show where the Russians won the space race. They won the space race, and what happened in Star City, which is there Cape Canaveral, what happened after that with the engineers, with the scientists, with the security people in Star City in Russia. It's fascinating. No Stars, it captured me for eight episodes. It was very unusual. It was very unusual. So anyway, it's a great show. I recommend that. And then the other thing that you and I have to consider is how much of our day do we spend scrolling through TikTok? How many hours of our day do we go through TikTok? How much of our time do we do that? And we never discuss, we never admit it when in doubt we're scrolling through TikTok. It's a sad life, but it's true. And I'm always fascinated by the TikTok store. In the TikTok store, I have bought things I'm ashamed to admit. I have bought the drain opener, that powder that instantly drains the entire street in the sewer. I've bought that the interesting insuls that are multiple color that have little spikes in them. Those work. I've wasted a lifetime getting custom orthotics and the TikTok store insuls. They are actually the best things that I've bought. That's been my experience. Other things not so good. Nothing has stopped my mail cat from p if you had that experience. Nothing has stopped my mail cat from P. It's impossible. We have done everything. We've done the diffusers, the abromas, the different kind of litter, and we've done the different kind of boxes, things that calm the cat, you name it. Nothing has worked. Nothing. You've given me great suggestions. I am grateful for your suggestions, but so far nothing has worked. Shame on us. And what else?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: What did we learn tonight? We learned that Apple planned obsolescence with their iPhones. We knew this, but how they did it was interesting to the degree where other countries, not our country, protected their citizens from what Apple did to them. Apple forced them to buy thousand dollars phones for absolutely no reason at all, no reason at all, but our country, no problem that you know you you make the phone hot. Oh that means you need a new phone immediately. Yes, we have a new Orange phone. Get the old Orange phone. It's a thousand bucks here it is, but our country not protecting us. France they find them a million bucks, fine, another million. But you see, Apple six trillion dollars in the bank doesn't affect them at all. Walter Sterling one am to five am every night, the other side of midnight on the Red Apple Audio Networks, and you and I stay in touch. Walter dot Sterling at WABC radio dot com, The other side of midnight, Red Apple Audio Networks