Speaker 1: It's nice eyes, Dan Ray, i'mdelling you mazy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Beg you very much, Madison, as we start a Wednesday night edition of Nightside. And wasn't it cold today? Boy, it showed doesn't feel like May, it feels like March. Let me get some of that global warming going here. My name is Dan Ray. It's gonna warm up. Don't worry. June will be here before you know it. It's May twenty first. I am the host of Nightside. Rob Brooks is the producer of this program. He's back in the control room. He'll begin to take phone calls at nine o'clock. At nine o'clock, we'll be talking with the Auditor State Auditor of the Commonwealth, Diana Disauglio. She has released a seventy four page report and audit of the Executive Office of Housing and Liverpool Communities. Well, that has generated a lot of conversation today. And then we'll talk tonight at ten o'clock about coyotes not just in the suburbs, but coyotes in Brookline, Massachusetts, which is really very very close. It's a suburb of Boston, but it's sort of surrounded by Boston itself. So anyway, we'll get to that later on tonight, and who knows, maybe a couple of other topics. We have four topics to deal with here at the beginning of the program, in the first hour, we want to introduce first of all, Major Kevin Pallito. He's a major in the Salvation Army and works out of the Milford Core Community Center. I believe, is that correct, Major Polito? It is correct.
Speaker 3: Thanks, it's great to connect with you.
Speaker 2: Nice to have you with us. So you're in the midst now of a program that runs, I guess from yesterday through the end of the week here the twenty fourth which is called through the weekend called Fly the Flag program, and you're going to install some five hundred American flags to provide support to residents in need. Uh, I'm unfamiliar with this, So tell us how the flag the Fly the Flag campaign works specifically in Milford, Massachusetts, and I guess also hope they'll and mend it as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean, first, can you tell me if there's been any coyotes spottings in Milford? I hope not.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you they're a lot closer to you are than than I if you got to kind of keep an eye open. I suspect it's probably a good amount. If coyotes are in Brookline, I think that they probably have at least passed through and maybe set up shop in Milford as well.
Speaker 3: I know, extra careful when I'm putting out flags at dusk, I think. But that's a good tip.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So that the Fly the Flag program is it's a program, a fundraiser that's unique to the Salvation Army in Milford and it's been, uh, you know, it's become quite the labor of love for a lot of allolunteers. For both my wife and I who give leadership to the Salvation Army in Milford. We do put out almost five hundred flags all around the communities of Milford, Mendon and Hopeedel at different residences or businesses that will sponsor them. And it helps us to raise critical needs to help neighbors in our community that are that are in need. So it's a great partnership.
Speaker 2: So you folks identify people in your community surrounding community as well who we're proud to fly the American flag. And this, of course is the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary really of the beginning of the revolution. Yeah, as particularly of time when I think a lot of people feel the need to fly a flag, and so do you bring them to their homes, into the businesses. Does does certain flags generate a certain amount of money or is it something where all contributions are gratefully accept it? How does it work?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So basically, you know, we have we send out enrollment forms to you know, those house those residences and businesses who have supported us in the past. We of course tried to do some advertising and we have an online website that it's Salvation ARMYMA dot org backslash Fly the Flag where people can go out and sign up online. They can sign up for one, two, three, four. I have one particular corporation in our community that gets sixteen flags that it's a very large business and they have multiple interrances, so they have flags flying at at least two or three different entrances there. So, you know, and what's great is it definitely you know, raises those critical funds that help a lot of our neighbors in their need as you know that you know, one out of three Massachusetts families struggle with food security that they are food insecure. So our pantry has seen probably since we got here in June twenty twenty one, there's been almost a five hundred percent increase in utilization of that program, our emergency food pantry. So you know, we we definitely are seeing it. And also I think probably another thing is surging utility prices. I'm sure a lot of people in your audience know all about that.
Speaker 2: You know, we talked about that drawn up. Is this a program that is run by various Salvation Army organizations around the commonwealth or is this one that you folks have come up with as a fundraiser. Is this is your idea?
Speaker 3: This is one that is unique to Milford. I don't think there are any other Salvation Armies that in the in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that run the program. It was a predecessor of mine, Major Dave Irwin, who you know, just was looking for a way to come up with a creative program and it really took off. And you know, now it's become a critical revenue source for us year in and year out, and it helps us, you know, so enables us to do all the things we do.
Speaker 2: What's the projection? What what this is? Obviously a labor intensive effort one to sign people up and then to get back.
Speaker 3: And oh wow, it's definitely way Yeah.
Speaker 2: What were you raised by the end of the week. I mean, you're going to this apparently runs through Saturday. So by Saturday, I assume all the flags will be distributed and they'll all be flying and it's too beautiful in advanced Memorial Day. Uh, in these communities. But what do you think you're going to raise?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the you know, like a lot of nonprofits, our goal is high for we want to raise twenty five fouls. Then I would say that we're almost probably seventy percent good already towards that goal. But we actually do three distribution So flags go out now before Memorial Day and then they'll stay out through the July fourth holiday. Then we take them down we can spect them. There's a lot of behind the scenes work. My one course, argant major at our Salvation Army Milford Corps. He has like a whole workshop downstairs where he's straightening pulls and repairing tattered flags. You know, we want to make sure they stay in tip top shape, and then we'll actually put them out again prior to nine to eleven. They'll stay out for a couple of weeks and then we'll bring them back in and then they go out a final time right before Veterans Day. So all told, it's almost between the field of flags, which is they're installed a draper park. It's a partnership with a Citizen for Milford group. We put two hundred and twenty there and it's a beautiful, wonderful spectacle that really, you know, always seems to increase the mood of the community. You know, it's a great program for generating a lot of community spirit. And then we also put out another three hundred sum flags at these businesses and residents throughout the towns of Milford. Ended in Hope, Tel Matt.
Speaker 2: Great job, major congratulations to you and all the other members work with you, the Salvation Army volunteers and others who volunteer. If people want to get more information, give us a quick website that folks in the the Root eighty five area I can can get involved with.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, Like I mentioned prior, it's the Salvation Army m A DOT O r G backslash fly the flag. People do have to live in you know, one of those three communities. Sometimes we do have people that will from outside those communities that will, you know, buy a flag and say, hey, donate it to a veteran or you know, a neighbor need in your local community, and we try to do our best to honor that request.
Speaker 2: So but well, Happy Memorial Date to you and to everyone else in the in the organization. Thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thanks to you. Dan, I wish you all a great Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks very much, Major Major Kevin Palito of the the Salvation Army based in Milford. Back on Nightside. This is a Monday night. We're going to talk about a great program that Comcast is running. We're gonna speak with the director of Community Impact and the architecture what's called Comcast Rise in Boston. I think you want to listen, particularly if you have a small business in Boston. There may be some help for you coming up from Comcast. Just on the other side of the s break, my name's Dan Ray. This is a Wednesday night, Stay right with us. Back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Right after this, if you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, this is an interesting program that I heard about about a week ago. It's called Comcast Rise. Comcast, of course, everybody knows Comcast and with us is Becca Fracasa? I hope I pronounced that correctly. Becca, Is it beca fracassa or is it a heart?
Speaker 4: You? You did it excellently, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Right? Okay, that's good. I was afraid it might have been. Just names get pronounced differently, and it's important to me to get them right. Becca is the director of Community Impact and the architect of Comcast Rise in Boston. My understanding is this is a program the Comcast is doing across the country in several different communities, but we're lucky to have it in Boston. First of all, let's talk about the scope of this. It's it's not just in Boston this year. It's in four other communities as well. Correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We're in Nashville, We're in Seattle, We're in South Valley, Utah as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Grid, I think Grid Rapids, Michigan is in there too, if if my memory serves from from what I read here, Yeah, Grand Rapids, Michigan isn't. There. By the way, we have listeners in all of those communities, so this applies more than just to just to to Boston, Greater Boston. But it's housing a great program, So tell us about it and uh it to some extent it almost sounds too good to be true. That's how good it is.
Speaker 4: Go right, Yeah, absolutely, And we get that a lot. We're like, is this Real's what's the catch? It really is real. We do every year we pick five cities in which we do five hundred really comprehensive grants for small businesses. As you mentioned, it's coming to Boston this year. We've given away one hundred and forty million dollars in value over the years for this program. And when we talk about it being comprehensive, it really is. It's a technology makeover, creative production, a media schedule, educational resources of five thousand dollars, monetary grant, and business consultation services. And when we think about that locally, we're going to give one hundred of those packages away inside the one twenty eight belt. So really a very comprehensive package to give away here in Boston and then in our community cities across the country that we were we just afore mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking at more with more specificity technology makeover. So there's computer equipment, internet, voice, and cybersecurity services. For twelve months you help them develop thirty second TV commercials, which which obviously can be can be used whatever community they serve. Education resources, twelve month access to online entrepreneurship courses, the monetary right who's who's opposed to that? As well as coaching sessions. All in all, each of these grants are really are we talking like one hundred thousand dollars or more in each of these grants, And.
Speaker 4: When we put all of this together per market, we're talking about three million dollars of investment, which is really a stunning amount when you think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's about it's about thirty it's about thirty thousand dollars all in for each. If I'm doing my math right, it helped me out if I'm not. And is this the sort of thing that that this I don't know. You know, it says small business, but is there a definition says the small business has to have so many employees or or only can have so many employees? Are there any limitations or is it basically available to anyone who thinks of themselves as a small business.
Speaker 4: So there are a couple of limitations so it is one hundred employees or less there were that qualifies as a small business. You have to have been in business for a couple of years two years to be exact, and you have to have generated a dollar of revenue in the past twelve months. So those are the qualifications. Nonprofits do not qualify either. So there, there's there's what we've defined as a small business.
Speaker 2: Really I missed I missed the one thing, Becker. You said they have to have generated a dollar of revenue or or.
Speaker 4: A dollar of revenue in the past one dollar, one dollar in the past twelve months.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I think most people can get past that hurdle. Yeah, yeahh So, and my understanding is that people can businesses, and obviously some of these I assume we're going to be family owned type businesses. They have to apply. There is a deadline, though, and the deadline's coming at us a little faster than maybe people should be aware of. It's the deadline is what May.
Speaker 4: Thirty first, Yes, midnight on May thirty first, is when you need to have your application in at comcast Rise dot com about a go ahead.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean to drop go ahead.
Speaker 4: That's okay, it's about a fifteen to thirty minute application process. And you can and you can save it so you can go in, you can save your application. You can say Okay, I want to tweak it a little bit later and get back to it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what happens? So let's go through the logistics, because I think this is so important. People are sitting there. Okay, so they have they have to go. I'm sure to Comcast dot Now where do we have to Where do we got to get these the applicants to get to?
Speaker 4: So Comcast Rise dot com. Where we're going?
Speaker 2: Okay, Comcast Rise r I se dot com. And if you if you do, you have to be a Comcast customer. Is it open to just businesses?
Speaker 3: Okay, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you go to Comcast Rise and there is it sounds to me like this a written application. You need some information? Uh, they fill out the information. Is there any essay that has to be Is this like a college process where you got to write an essay application to be to be admitted. I don't want to make it too hard on these my listeners.
Speaker 4: No, no, And when I when we say fifteen to thirty minutes, we mean it. There are a couple of short answer questions where we ask about the growth of we're your business, you know, what do you see as your growth growth being? And we're just looking for the story of someone's business and how they think these resources are to help. Right, we're not judging on grammar. We're looking for stories. The other piece we're looking at that the other short answer question, besides you know those sort of fill in the blank cut things will be centered around how do you feel that your business impacts your community? And I, honestly, personally, I believe that every small business has a great story of how they're important to their communities to tell. So that's what we're looking for in those short answer questions. And there's just those two of them that we're looking for. So yet, not a lengthy process at all.
Speaker 2: This is great. Now you are in charge of this in New England. When will the winners? When will the people who get the grants be announced? How long do they have to wait to figure out if they're one of the one hundred winners here in the Greater Boston area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we expect to have an announcement for those winners in the middle of August, so that we'll start talking about and reaching out to those one hundred winners and then really activating around all of the resources. Work very collaborative with collaboratively with each winner on our own timeline to make sure we're really responsibly activating around each of those benefits so that they can utilize them to the best of their businesses ability.
Speaker 2: Okay, just one final clarification, Sure, how do we define We defined businesses, but how do we define businesses in Boston? Do the businesses have to be within the city limits or is it more of a Greater Boston concept?
Speaker 4: Did you say it's a little bit of a Yeah, it's a little bit of a Greater Boston concept. We're referring to it in many places as Metro Boston. If you think about the one twenty eight loop and try to staying inside of that loop, we've taken it all the way up to Gloucester and all the way down to Angham. When small businesses go into the application, one of the first things that they're asked to fill out is their ZIP code, and that will determine whether or not they're in that particular geography.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, it sounds to me like a right program. I hope all the winners take it full advantage of everything that you guys are offering here, and again, thank you very much, Beca for the time tonight. I think you've explained it well. And I hope that people who have listened if they want to get information. If someone was listening and their their son or their daughter or their brother in law has a small business and didn't hear tonight, give us the website where they can go to to get all the information. They can listen to our interview tomorrow on Nightside and demand. That's easy. But give us that website one more time. I know what it is, but it yeah, hear it from you?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, yeah, please come visit us at Comcast Rise dot com. So it's Comcast ri se dot com and you'll get all of the information that you need and have access to the application.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Well, thank you for the generosity from Comcast to the businesses to thank you for your time tonight. Thanks very much, better much. Maybe what we can do when you pick some winners when the one hundred folks are selected next August, maybe we can have one or two of them come on and talk about exactly what they're going to do with these grants.
Speaker 4: We'd love to have that conversation. Thanks so much, Dan, Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All Right, the news awaits at the bottom of the hour, so let's get right to that right now. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside, and we will be back on the other side. We have a couple more guests, and beginning at nine o'clock tonight, we will talk with State Auditor Diana Dezaglio. She released a seventy four page think one of the papers described it as a scathing report. Today we'll talk about that coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on waz Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you very much. Madison. Let us continue here on the night before the big storm. I hope that some of you can maybe take a mental health day tomorrow. It's going to be nasty, nasty weather day. We'll be talking with someone one of the ACU weather actually weather meteorologist beginning at about quarter of nine. But right now we're talking to doctor Shivani Kumar. He is a vascular surgeon at Tufft's Medical Center and doctor Kumar. Welcome to Nightside. First of all, thank you for joining us tonight.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: And we're going to talk about a new non invasive technology which I've never heard of, using a device called Tamby. I don't know, is that the correct pronunciation ta mbe tamby.
Speaker 5: That's the correct planciation of the acronym. The long name is a thorical abdominal branch endoprop thesis, so so we abbreviate that to campy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to call it tamby. You can call it anything you want, but this is intended to treat a certain type of aortic aneurysm that previously required major open heart surgery. First of all, for those of us who are not spot about this, as you are in a order aneurysm, I think most of us know what an aneurism is. I think some of us have an idea where our order is. But I'm sure you can explain it much better than that.
Speaker 5: Go right ahead, sure, So our order is the biggest blood, that's all that comes off of our heart. It supplies blood all over our body. And an aneurysm you can think of as a bulge, dilation of ballooning of the order, and the bigger that gets, the higher the risks that that can rupture and cause internal bleeding and death.
Speaker 2: And so when kids blow bubble sort of like when kids blow bubblegum, you know, the bubble keeps getting bigger and bigger, and you know at some moment that bubble's going to burst and that the kid's going to have bubble gum all over his nose and his chin and his cheeks.
Speaker 5: Go right ahead exactly like that, exactly, And so that's the problem that carries high high mortality. And this particular type of aurism that we're treating is one that involves blood flow to the major organs in the belly, your liver, spleen, small vowel, stomach, kidneys, and so in the past, the way we've had to repair these is by doing you know, really the biggest surgery we do in vascular surgery, which is opening someone up from the chest down to their navel and move their organs out of the way, clamp their reorda need to have some partial bypass to provide blood flow to these vital organs while we're operating, and it carried a lot of you know, risk with it, with the tamby. We now have a this is a first and only kind of FDA approved minimally invasive solution for these aneurysms, and that got to proved an August of twenty twenty four. And now we have a way to treat these patients with one small incision like up on the chest and then two needlesticks in the groin and patients can recover and go home from the hospital on post operative day two or three.
Speaker 2: So have there been a lot of these surgery, these so called TAMPI surgeries? You said that's only been approved since last August, But how's the track record at this point to this.
Speaker 1: Procedure so far?
Speaker 5: Very well? Actually, I was speaking to the medical team the last few days and now we've hit one thousand implants across the country since approval.
Speaker 2: So this is this involves an implant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And my question is, and you know, for those in the audience maybe who are more medically knowledgeable than me, maybe they'll sound like a silly question, but oftentimes when you hear of aneurysms, you hear of brain aneurysms. Are these aneurysms, these aortic aneurysms, Are they before you can intervene in this part of the body more.
Speaker 5: Easily, So yes or no, They're easier to identify because oftentimes patients come into the er with abdominal pain or another problem, and they get a capped inner an ultrasound, and so we oftentimes find them incidentally, you're sort of by accident, and that allows us to kind of track them and treat them when appropriate, when they reach that size that's big enough, like that bubblegum about to burst. Okay, we also, you know, the United States Prevented Task Force also recommend screening for aneurisms of specific patient populations, men over the age of sixty five who have ever smoked, people who have a family history of aneurysms, and women with high risk factors.
Speaker 2: Now, doctor, I want to give medical advice over the over the radio, but I want you to know I am on the wrong side of But I'm happy to tell you I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. And I actually do my annual physical tomorrow morning with my doctor. So when I say to him, do you think I have it? I could possibly have an aortic aneurism. Is he going to look at me like I have two heads, or do I then have to tell them. Well, just last night I was talking to doctor Kumar. I love it when you say people who haven't smoked, and I've never. I just never liked to have it, to be honest with you. And so does that help protect me about people who haven't smoked with both aortic or with other aneurisms and other parts of the body.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's definitely a protective factor for you, you know, and patients who have never smoked, the prevalence of an aneurysm is about one to two percent, so it's pretty rare.
Speaker 2: I've enjoyed this conversation. You know why I never smoked. I don't know. You know what your experience has been. But my dad was a two packa day smoker, and I can remember as a kid in the house, I hated smoke. I hated the smell of smoke, hated everything about it. And when the Surgeon General's report came out in nineteen sixty four, he went cold turkey. It's very, very stubborn or adamant, whichever adjective you want to use. But I credit him for making sure that I had never picked up the habit. I just thought it was a dirty, you know, a filthy sort of habit, and it never appealed to me. I have other vices, but not that. So you've made me happy. What should people do who are listening and maybe have smoked over the age of sixty five? Should they ask their primary care physician to consider what or not they could have an aneurism? What advice can we give generally to people who maybe would be in the category who are susceptible?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think anyone over the age of sixty five, especially men who have ever smoked in their lives, even if it was five years remotely, they have an increased risk of an aneurysm. So they should talk to their primary care doctor about doing a one time screening. It is covered by insurance, and that screening is painless. It's an ultrasound down of the belly and that detects if you have one or not, and if you do, you can be referred to a vascular surgery who can then follow your aneurism with appropriate imaging an appropriate timeline depending on the size.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think the yeah, I'm sorry, but I think what I heard you say was that even if someone had given up the cigarettes, five years or ten years ago. That's a good thing, but they still if they had smoked for any period of time, they got to be aware of this when they talk to their PCPs.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, Land and you kind of touched on it, but smoking succation and stopping smoking is also very important for aneurism growth. You know, smoking is the number one risk factor for aneurysm development and then for that aneurism to grow to that bubblegum size you were talking about that Pops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'll tell you really, I so appreciate you coming on. We're very fortunate with the number of medical professionals and experts we have in the Greater Boston area who will give us a few minutes on this program and talk about to you know, tens of thousands of listeners about medical issues. And I just want to say thanks, very thank you very much for what you do, and congratulate everybody over at Tough's Medical Center. It's a great medical facility. We're blessed to have so many great medical facilities here in the Greater Boston area. And I learned a lot tonight from this interview, and I really do appreciate.
Speaker 5: You taking the time our pleasure. Thank you so much for having me and bringing some more awareness to this disease process.
Speaker 2: Okay, doctor Schavani Kumar, there's there's no particular website that you want to refer folks to here. I assume this that they can google. I guess aortic aneurysms if they fall into that category, I get some more information. But there's no nothing particularly that we can refer people to. Let's say, you know, Tamby dot com.
Speaker 5: Or something like that, right, you can google Tamby that will come up. You can also, you know, I think googling abdominal aoricaneurism is helpful, but there's no particular website dedicated to aneurismal disease. But that's a good idea and maybe something that we can work on as ascular surgeons.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Doctor chavann Kumar. Talk again, I hope, thank you very much. When we get back. We're going to talk about the reality of the weekend and the reality of tomorrow is a big time rain. It's as simple as that. I don't think we're going to escape it. I'm sure we're not going to escape it. And I hope to be talking with acute Weather Media A just Brian Thompson, not only about Tomorrow, Thursday and Friday, but what the rest of the weekend might hold. This is the first long weekend of the summer. It doesn't feel like the summer. It doesn't feel like the start of summer. But hopefully, hopefully we can turn around now and at least give you some hope that Saturday or Sunday might be better. We'll be talking with Brian Thompson right after the break.
Speaker 1: Night SI with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, if you were out today rowing on the Charles or sailing on the Charles, or walking along the public garden, I mean, eighty five degrees isn't a bad weather day. Of course it wasn't eighty five degrees, but maybe in your imagination today was a nasty day. I mean it felt like March more than May. And to explain all of this, first of all, why we're having a deal with this type weather is our good friend acuweather meteorologist Brian Thompson. Hey, Brian, what did we do wrong that had the weather gods so angry? Have you figured that one out yet? No?
Speaker 6: I haven't done. It is it's not unusual to have days like this in mid to late May. It's it's not it's not particularly common to get this many days of chilly weather. And it's going to stay pretty chilly through tomorrow, Friday, even Saturday is going to be a bit on the cool side. So we're talking about highs in the fifties, which again is not uncommon. It does happen this time of year, especially with the water still being so chilly, but it's just an unusual for it to be a string of days like this.
Speaker 2: It seems like it's been. It seems like it's been the entire month, and I don't remember April being that grade either.
Speaker 6: Well I actually believe it or not. We're running three degrees above average for the month. We've especially early in the month, we did have some warm days got to eighty four. That was way back on May third, it was nearly three weeks ago. Yeah, but we've certainly had some chillier stretches in between. And this is actually some of the cool weather of the month we're seeing right now, so unusual, kind of backwards the way you think of it, You normally think the cooler weather of May would be in the beginning of the month to get warmer tour Memorial there.
Speaker 2: So what's going on. We got a whole bunch of tornadoes running around in the Midwest, and this apparently is what we're not that we're going to be seeing tornadoes because I think it's probably too cool, too cold for tornadoes. If I think I learned that somewhere, and what you know when I read it somewhere tornado.
Speaker 6: It's not impossible to get tornadoes and cooler weather. It's rare though, because to get the to get the instability you need for severe thunderstorms, typically it needs to at least be on the milder side.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, so what happens these tornadoes. We've just seen them down in Oklahoma and Missouri and Kentucky. As they come up towards New England, they they're losing that that wind power. But the cold is staying and the ra is the rain's coming up nonetheless, and we're gonna look at a really nasty day.
Speaker 6: Tomorrow from yeah, yeah, tomorrow is gonna be the worst day of the stretch. It was it was cool today, it was cloudy, was damp, it was drizzled. But we're gonna have a lot more rain tomorrow that's gonna certainly make it worse when you tied in with the severe weather. The storm system that has helped to fuel that severe weather has been moving through the Ohio Valley, and this weather map looks very similar to something we'd see in the wintertime, because we've talked about the storm being a kind of a nor'easter type storm here, because you have a storm that's moving into the Ohio Valley and you have another storm that's developing along the east coast, and that there's kind of an energy transfer that takes place. The storm along the coast kind of takes over as the main storm and then moves up again. We see this a lot of times in the winter months. That's where we sometimes get the big snowstorms. And that's what we're going to see into tomorrow. The storm along the coast, it develops, that intensifies, and that's going to put us in the in the area of some heavy your rain and some strong winds as well.
Speaker 2: And I think at least one of the weather forecasts I saw in the last day or so talked about some snow up in Maine and eastern New Hampshire.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very possible. I mean we're talking about temperatures most of the day tomorrow that will be in the forties around here, and when you get up in elevation, it won't have to get super high to be talking about some snow in northern parts of New England.
Speaker 2: When is it going to break? Okay? So tomorrow is a washout, Okay, but tomorrow's Thursday. It's not Saturday or Sunday. Is Friday going to be a transition day or is it just going to creep and get a little bit better? At no point? I mean the song from Annie the Sun will be up tomorrow. That's not playing tomorrow at all.
Speaker 6: Right, that is not playing tomorrow. I don't think it's playing Friday either. Maybe Saturday. I think there's some hope to see some sun. To your point of Friday making a transition day, I think it will be to some extent. Again, it's going to be cloudy. It is still going to be very chilly on Friday. I don't think we get past the mid fifties in most spots, but it won't be nearly as wet as tomorrow. We'll have a couple of showers still around Friday, but kind of transitioning out of the wetter pattern. I think Friday is going to be that transition day, and Saturday kind of falls into that category too. Now I think Saturday we have a better chance of seeing some breaks of sun than Friday, but we'll still have a couple of showers around. But as nasty as the next thirty six hours or so are going to be, I don't think it's a bad holiday weekend.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 6: It'll start off kind of cool Saturday, and overall it is going to be on the cool sign for a Memorial Day weekend. But by the time we get to Sunday and Memorial Day, highly back into the sixties again, and as possible, attempts may get well into the sixties on Memorial Day. I know it's not the summer preview that some people want, but it's going to be an improvement certainly, and if you have outdoor activities, I don't think I think most of the weekend is going to be dry. I don't think we're going to be dealing with rain a lot at the time. Again, the chance for a shower two Saturday, maybe a stray shower either Sunday or Monday, but again, a lot of the time looks dry at this point.
Speaker 2: Now I know that, and I just I don't want to, you know, put any pressure on here. But when we talk about New England, New England's it's a small place on a map, but it's a big place if you have to drive around. Who's going to get the better weekend? Let's say, let's talk about Saturday, the Cape of the Mountains or western Massachusetts. It's gonna or is it just going to be kind of the same.
Speaker 6: It's going to be kind of the same. We're going to be in this broad pattern where there's an upper level low overhead. So I don't think the weather is going to vary all that much from place to place, just looking at some of the forecasts on the Cape or looking at temperatures in the mid fifties on Saturday with a shower or two, but out in Western mass probably a little cooler but still in the low fifties and very similar with clouds and a shower too. So really, actually across most of New England Saturday, I think it'll be very similar weather. We'll just have these spotty showers that are around. Itill be pretty cloudy, but at times the sun's going to pop out, but most of the time is going to be dry.
Speaker 2: Okay, So last question, I swear, and that is when does this pattern? Can you foresee this pattern finally be done with it and getting it. Yeah, we'll have rain in June, I get it, We'll have some cooler days, et cetera. But is this this huge pattern that we have We're going to all of a sudden turn around sometime next week, which is June, well not June. Let me look at my calend. It's it's June first. Don't get you until next weekend. Following next weekend on Sunday, when will it feel like June? It's fun.
Speaker 6: It may take until June. Actually, yes, because we're in this pattern through the weekend again, it warms up a little bit at least into the sixties by Monday. But the problem is the jet stream is going to still be kind of kind of up in the western part of the US and down in the east. That allows the cooler air to kind of stick around. So I think kihceptre's a lot of next week could still be in the sixties. But as we get late in the next week and especially toward next weekend, as we get toward the beginning of June, there are signs that may be some of that warmth from the western part of the country will start to slide eastward a bit, so we may finally start to warm things back up a bit.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, look, I so appreciate you taking the time, Brian. I'm sure that everybody is bugging you at this point and trying to figure out what the weather forecast is going to be. But you've reached a lot of people tonight. And although you haven't provided the forecast that we wanted, you know, seventy five and Sonny, you've given us. You've given us a great explanation. I so appreciate you taking the time. My friend will talk sooner, and you have a great Memorial Day weekend. Okay, you two damn thanks very much. Ack you weather meteorologists. Brian Thompson telling us the way it is, not the way we want it to be, necessarily, but the way it is. So we're going to wrap it up here for the eight o'clock hour, and we will be standing by and after the nine o'clock newscast, we're going to have an opportunity to speak with the State Auditor of conwalth and Massachusetts. Diana Desauglio is not the most popular person at the State House these days, but good for her. She has the courage and backbone to stand up and do what her office mandates true to do. So we'll be talking with Diana Desauglio, and I'm going to tell you right now that if you want to talk to a get on the line early, because she's going to stay with us, not for the entire hour, but just till nine thirty. Feel free to join this conversation six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Come on right back on Night's side after the nine o'clock news