Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in our series called Strategies for Stressful Times. In these lessons, Rick SHARE's biblical wisdom for navigating difficult and stressful times so that you can experience God's peace and thrive in any situation. Now, in just a bit, we're going to tell you how you can get a very special copy of Pastor Rick's number one selling book, The Purpose Driven Life, with a classic leather cover. As you journey through this book, you'll discover the purposes you were created for and begin living the life of significance you were meant to live. This is a limited time offer, so go to pastorick dot com right now to find out more, or text the word Hope to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. Now here's Pastor Rick Warren with part two of a messa. It's called how to Be Happy No Matter what happened.
Speaker 2: While Paul was in prison, there were people who criticized his ministry. While he's down, they're kicking him all he's down. They slandered Paul, they judged Paul, they criticized There were those who were his friends, who supported his ministry, they were companions and friends. There were those who competed with his ministry while he's in prison, taking advantage that he's off out of circulation. And there were those who undermined his ministry. They actually attacked him and tried to destroy him while he was in prison. And if Philippians Chapter one, the next couple of verses, verses fifteen, sixteen to seventeen, Paul describes four kinds of people. Three of these four kinds of people are killed. Joyce and guess what. You're going to have all four of these hope in your life. Hopefully you're gonna have companions. But there are critics, there are companions, there are competitors, and there are challengers. You're going to have all four of these in your life, and if you don't know how to deal with them, you're not going to be happy.
Speaker 3: Much of your life.
Speaker 2: Verse and verse fifteen Paul had critics, and he says this, it's true that some people preach Christ because they're jealous of us, and they like to argue.
Speaker 3: They're jealous of us.
Speaker 2: They like to argue, you know the word they're eras in Greek means they love to argue, they love conflict, they enjoy creating controversy. These people hang out on social media. They're contentious, they're divisive, they're critical, they love conflict, they love debate people in the controversy. They're on social media all the time. They've ever heard a preacher on the radio or the television like that? He bates everybody by being provocative and being critical of somebody else. Ever read a blogger or someone in social media like that? Notice that, Paul says, the critics motives are often jealousy, and they want to have the influence you've got, and so they start.
Speaker 3: Trying to tear you down.
Speaker 2: Now, there are few things in life that cause you to lose your happiness faster than criticism.
Speaker 3: I mean, we all want people to.
Speaker 2: Like us, Okay, But here is an important principle you need to remember if you're going to be happy life. You don't need other people's approval or permission to be happy. You don't need other people's approval to be happy. You don't need other people's permission to be a happy. Happiness is a choice. You're happy as you choose to be.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: He deals with critics in verse fifteen. Then in sixteen he talks about his companions. Now, these are the good people. You want these people in your life, he says. Other people preach from genuine goodwill, and they do so out of love, and they know that God has given me the work of defending the Gospel. You want to have some friends in your life. You don't need a lot, but you need a couple really good friends. That's why we always talk about being in a small group. If you're not in a small group, you need to get in a small group. You need a group of companions who will help you through the tough times in your life. A small group I'm in right now, I've been in I think over twenty years, and it has helped me many times. They are a source of encouragement and happiness for me. In the next verse, Paul says, you know you're gonna have competitors in life. And he says this, other people preach christ insincerely from a spirit of selfish ambition. You know there're gonna be people in your life you help. You're gonna have competitors, people who want to compete with you. They're ego driven, and one of the things they do you can tell them that they're competitive. Is they put down others in an attempt to make themselves look good. Now, let me just say this, whether you're a business person, or you're a teenager, or you're a homemaker, whatever, competitors who are trying to look like they're trying to compete with you over what your house looks like, or what your job is, or who's your best friend at school. Competitors will rob your happiness if you let them. But you can't. Happiness is a choice. Then, the second part of her seventeen, he says they're challengers. There are people out there who really just don't like you, their enemies. And he says, others want to stir up more trouble for me.
Speaker 3: What a thing?
Speaker 2: People actually want to stir up trouble for other people? Yeah, they do, and they find their value in creating trouble for other people. I heard about somebody in a neighborhood once and they said she's only happy when she's making trouble for the neighbors. He says, others just want to stir up more trouble for me and add pain while I'm in prison. Now, these are the trouble makers. And the crazy makers of life. And you know what their primary tool is gossip.
Speaker 3: Gossip.
Speaker 2: Gossip can ruin your happiness very quickly too, just like criticism can. Now you're going to have all four of these in your life. Critics and you know, companions and the people who compete with you, and then they're these crazy makers or they're always just trying to tear you down. Now, regardless of the people in your life, people of the second kill joy in your life. Look at Paul's attitude. It's the next verse Philippians, Chapter one, verse eighteen, and Paul says, this, you know what other people do all these four he just mentioned, what others do doesn't really matter. This is the Bible. What others do doesn't really matter. The important thing is that in every way, whether for right or wrong reasons, the message of crisis being shared. So circle this, I am happy. Circle that I am happy, and I will continue to be happy.
Speaker 3: Circle that.
Speaker 2: What is Paul modeling here? He's saying, I'm not going to let anybody, whether it's a critic or a companion, or a competitor or a crazy maker, or it's an enemy whatever, he says, I'm just not I'm not gonna let anybody steal my happiness.
Speaker 3: Not only could Payne not take it away, people can't take it away.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: Do you ever wonder if your life really matters? Or what on earth are you here for? Pastor Rick says God has a good plan and purpose for your life, and in his best selling book, The Purpose Driven Life, he lays out an easy to follow roadmap for your spiritual journey, a journey that will transform your life. As you go through this book, you'll discover that real meaning and significance come from understanding and fulfilling God's purpose for you here on earth, and how living out the purpose you are created for moves you beyond mere survival and access to a life of significance, the life you were meant to live. For a limited time, we are offering this timeless classic and a special leather edition featuring gold foil cover art and gilded pages. It's a great addition to your personal library, and it also makes a wonderful gift with eternal benefits. Get your special edition of The Purpose Driven Life with a beautiful leather cover today as a thank you for your gift to help take the hope of Jesus to people around the world through Daily Hope. Quantities are very limited, so act quickly. Go to pastorick dot com right now to get your copy. That's pastorick dot com. Or you can call it eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four. That's eight hundred at six hundred five zero zero four. Thank you so much for your support, and don't forget to tell us that you listen to Daily Hope on the radio.
Speaker 1: Now back to More from God's Word with Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: Now, the fact is the more blessed you are in life, the more you're going to be attacked. Sometimes I'm asked by people about the people who criticize me, and my response is, always, what is this? What other people think of me in no way controls what I think of them, and I don't have to worry about it. You know, a lot of times you're worried about what other people think. Let me tell you something. They're not thinking about you most of the time, they're thinking about themselves, So why worry about it? Philippians, Chapter one, verse twenty eight, verse twenty eight, in the same chapters as this, be fearless, Be fearless, no matter who opposes you, it will be assigned to them of their downfall, and that God is with you and that He's going to save you. You know, I can identify with this. After Matthew died, we were subjected, can I, to the most vile accusations and things and criticisms and armchair psychology, and people used Matthew's death to really try to harm us, and they said some of the most mean spirited things, and yet we made it through. And then I actually, after we went through that gauntlet of months, six months of it, I really thought, is that all you got? Is that the worst thing you can say? And I remember telling Kay one time, after going through all of the criticism after Matthew's death, was to honestly, I said to her, Kay, Honestly, I feel fearless. I feel like I've been through the worst possible situation and the worst criticisms and attacks you can imagine, and I'm still standing by God's grace and by the power of the Holy Spirit, and.
Speaker 3: I feel fearless. What more can they do?
Speaker 2: And it almost it didn't completely cure me, but it almost cured me of caring about what other people think. Jesus said it like this when he gave the Beatitudes and the Sermon on the Mouth in Matthew five.
Speaker 3: He said, blessed are you.
Speaker 2: When men shall revile you and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely. For my sake, he said, rejoice and be exceeding glad, for great is your reward in Heaven, for so persecuted they the prophets who we are before you. In other words, don't worry, be happy now. Paul explains why you can be happy no matter what. In verse twenty nine and thirty of the Philippians, Chapter one, he says this, for you have been given, you Christians, You have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ, but also the privilege of suffering for him. Did you know that's part of being a Christian, The privilege of trusting Christ, the privilege of suffering for Christ. We are in this fight together. The Bible says, you have seen me suffer Paul's talking. You have seen me suffer for him. Remember he's in prison as he's these words. You've seen me suffer for him in the past, and you know that I am still in the midst of a great struggle. I'd say, what do I want to say on this second point? Summed up is this, if you live for the approval of other people, you get your happiness from the approval of other people, whether it's likes on your Facebook page or how many people give you a thumbs up on your Instagram or whatever. If you live for the approval of others, you will die by their disapproval. Okay, that's the wrong way to find happiness. You have to learn you don't need anybody else's approval to be happy. You were as happy as you choose to be first Thatsalonians five eighteen. No matter what happens, That's the theme of this message. No matter what happens, always be thankful for this is God's will for you who belong to Jesus Christ. Notice this is God's will. You want to be in the center of God's will. Always be grateful and thankful, even no matter what happens. No matter what other people say, what other people do. Okay, now let's review. I've already given you two principles. You can be happy no matter what happens in your life if you choose to do two things. The first, remember that God can bring good out of anything. That's Romans eight twenty eight. And so you look at the situation with faith not fear. Just start saying, God, help me to look at everything that happens in my life with faith not fear. Look at problems, look at pain, look at people, look at pressure with faith not fear. And then number two, never let what other people say, oh what other people do control your attitude. These are powerful. We could just stop right there, but Paul has two more keys to being happy in life no matter what happens. Third number three, I can be happy no matter what happens. If I choose to write this down, trust God to always work things out.
Speaker 3: That's the third key.
Speaker 2: I must trust God to always work things out, whether it's pain or pressure, or problems or people. This is the third faith factor in happiness. You're gonna either worry about what's happening in your life, or you're gonna worship. You're gonna panic, or you're going to pray. You're gonna have faith, or you're gonna have fear. This is verse nineteen in Philippians chapter one. He says this, I will continue to rejoice. Now circle again the word will. If you're taking notes on the outline, that's a choice. It's a choice of the will. It's a decision. I will continue to rejoice. Why for I know that as you pray for me, and as the Spirit of Jesus Christ helps me, all that happened will all turn out for my deliverance. Remember he's writing this from prison. He has no physical evidence of this. This is a statement of faith, not of fear. Now in that verse I just read. If you're looking at it still, Paul gives four sources of strength in tough times. I want you to circle these four sources. First, I have God's perspective on my problem. That helps me be happy. Notice it says, for I know, circle the word No, that's God's perspective.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I don't guess, I don't imagine, I don't hope, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I have God's perspective. And I'm looking at my situation, the pain, the problems, the pressures the people. I'm looking at it from God's point of view. I have God's perspective of my problem.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Second, I have people praying for me. Did you notice that's circle the word pray. You're praying for me. That gives makes me hapy. Number three, I have the Holy Spirit helping me, he says, I've got the spirit of God in me. And then number four, he says, I have the faith that God will work it out for good. Therefore I choose to be happy. He says, I will. That's a choice. Now, trusting God. When you don't see the whole picture and you can't see the end of the story, Trusting God gives you hope, It gives you courage, and it gives you happiness. Look at the next verse there in Philippians, Chapter one, verse twenty. It is my eager expectation. That's faith and hope. That's hope.
Speaker 3: It's my eager.
Speaker 2: Expectation and hope that I will not be ashamed. Remember he's in prison as he's writing this, but that with full courage. Now, as always, Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. He goes, I don't know the end of my story. I don't know if I'm going to get out of this prison and be a free man again, or if they're going to feed me to the lions, or I'm going to be set in with gladiators or just be hung or crucified. He said, I don't know whether by life or death I am trusting God. I love this verse Hebrews ten thirty five. There on your outline, it says this in the Living Bible. Do not let your happy trust in the Lord die away. Do not let your happy trust in the Lord die away. Don't let it fall away no matter what happens. He says, remember your reward. That's long term perspective. Short term, I see all the problems in the pain and the pressures and the people. Long term, I see the reward. Don't let your happy trust circle the word phrase happy trust, happiness and trust go together. If you don't trust God, you're going to be fearful and unhappy for most of your life. You must choose to trust God, just like you have to choose to be happy, and no matter what it looks like. So let's just review now again. I can be happy no matter what happens in my life. If I one choose to remember that God can bring good out of bad, out of anything. God can bring good out anything. God specializes in that if I look at every situation with faith not fear. Would you start saying, God, help me to look at every situation with faith not fear. If I never let what other people say or do control my attitudes, and if I trust God to always work things out. I know this is not the end of the story. Some of you you're at the end of a chapter in your life, but you're not at the end of your story now. Finally, there is a fourth principle in Thislyppians Chapter one powerful passage on how to be happy. Finally, I can be happy no matter what happens in my life. If I choose to do this for a thing. Number four, write it down. Stay focused on my purpose, not my problem.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. If you've missed any part of this message or you'd like to find out more about Pastor Rick Warren in this ministry, just visit pastorick dot com, where you can listen online anytime. That's pastorick dot com and be sure to sign up for ris free daily email devotional While you're there, Rick will be back to close out our time today. But first, do you ever wonder if your life really matters? Or what on earth am I here for? Pastor Rick says God has a good plan and purpose for your life, and in his best selling book, The Purpose Driven Life, he lays out an easy to follow roadmap for your spiritual journey, a journey that will transform your life. As you go through this book, you'll discover that real meaning and significance come from understanding and fulfilling God's purpose for you here on earth, and how living out the purpose you were created for moves you beyond mere survival and success to a life of significance, the life you were meant to live. For a limited time, we're offering this timeless classic in a special leather edition featuring gold foil cover art and gilded pages. It's a great addition to your personal library, and it also makes a wonderful gift with eternal benefits. Get your special edition of The Purpose Driven Life with a beautiful leather cover today as a thank you for your gift. To help take the hope of Jesus to people around the world through daily hope quantities are very limited, so act quickly. Go to Pastorick dot com right now to get your copy. That's Pastorick dot com. Or you can call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Thank you so much for your support, and don't forget to tell us you listen to Daily Hope on the radio. Here's Pastor Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, today, I want to share with you the story of Christine who wrote to me. She says she lost everything, but I want you to listen how God is working in her life now. Christine wrote this to me, Pastor Rick. Daily Hope has brought me out of some truly dark times. Three and a half years ago, my marriage of thirteen years ended. My husband was an atheist, and I decided early on in our relationship that he would be my number one priority, not God. And for thirteen years I tolerated being lied to and cheated on and told of, believing that God was stupid and foolish. And then he ended it all and I was left alone with nothing, no friends, no home, no family. And as I was facing a new life on my own. A coworker recommended that I listened to the Daily Hope podcast, and after a few weeks of listening, I got up the nerve to return to church for the first time in over thirteen years. It's been challenging starting my life all over again, and I still encounter obstacles almost daily, but I have also grown and I've healed a lot over the last three years. Now, I continue to listen to the Daily Hope podcast, and I just purchased your book, A Purpose Driven Life. I've been going to church steadily and I even sing now on our worship team. Had it not been for Daily Hope, I don't know if I would have ever returned to church or to God, but I'm so glad that I did. Thank you Daily Hope. Well, you know, thanks for writing Christine. Your story is a great reminder that God can use any pain in our lives to draw us closer to Him if we'll give it to him, and then He can bring good even out of all the bad, if we will just trust him. Now, notice that Christine found out about Daily Hope and the podcast because a coworker shared it when she was facing dark days. It was just a simple act by a friend simply forwarding a podcast that helped Christine start her journey back to God, and it helped her reconnect with a church family. What a simple step to make such a major change in someone's life. Can you think of somebody in pain right now that you could forward on the Daily Hope podcast too? Can you think of somebody who's suffering, somebody who is questioning, somebody who's in despair. Would you do that for a friend? Would you share Daily Hope with someone in your family or someone at work. I'd like you to just pray and ask God, say, God, show me the people around me that you want to know. You show me the people that I should share daily Hope with. If you do that, I am certain God will show you. He'll bring names and faces to mind.
Speaker 3: Just try it. God bless you.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to bless Pastor Rick by letting him know how much this broadcast has helped you, please send him an email at Rick at Pastorrick dot com. That's Rick at Pastorrick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support