Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to I'm about here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera dere Troy Hutchinson. We'll come back to anybody. We're just a little ahead of scare sorry about that. Uh, we're gonna you know what I want to talk about real quick to to say, just the unfortunate news of the plane crash last night that involved so many, so many people and a number of people from the United States ice skating team and the rushing team, and it was just unbelievable. But I got the news last night on you know, following like everybody else, I'm thinking, oh, man, what a what a tragic situation. Then you wake up and then you figure out who or find out who's on the plane you're thinking, not that it diminishes it, right, but it's you know, a team and just just sudden suddenly you know, I've experienced that recently with my family and just sudden, sudden death and it's just so unbelieve it's hard to imagine. That's because I've gone through it. My son lives in that area, so have you to how to him about the you know, the situation because he's in.
Speaker 2: The DC area. Yeah, and you know, just thinking it's an unfortunate event and it could have could have happened at any time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, I just just odd set of circumstances and they'll figure that out. But very sad, sad to see and said to hear. Okay, if you'd like to call, please do five two zero four one six seventy four forty. We've already talked about the arena. So when do you think they're going to hear from the other guys? Uh, you know, Cole, he's kind of dragging it out a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think at the end of the high school season. Probably might be a marker, at the end of the playoffs or in the month, maybe maybe a little bit into the summer. I mean, really that late you never know what kids.
Speaker 1: Well that too, because I guess that you have to figure out who's going to come back and who's not gonna be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's a big factor for a lot of these kids. And you saw that with the guy that went over at the names Escaping memory right now but went over to a su he was waiting to go out. Caleb Love's decision. Caleb Love came back, you know, and he went off to ASU, same with Jamari Phillips that I believe it's now at Oregon as well. Waited to hear for a couple of decisions from Caleb love kJ Lewis and Jadon Bradley. So I think it might drag out. You never know, And again, teams still get involved. Hey, we'll give you this, this and this and this day and age of recruiting. Yes, the team could be a favor, but it could change on a dime.
Speaker 1: So you brought up in Al when it came to Arena's number one reason.
Speaker 2: I think it's a big factor. I mean, you would have to think that Arizona was in a very good position. I know Louisville was thought of to be right there with Arizona, especially with adida shoe deal and then being Adida's family, and then all of a sudden the USC gets them. So you would have to think that that was a factor in this show.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you how many times do you think this will happen and say, well, in I L yeah, and I L.
Speaker 2: It's the way of the future. It is what it is. And you know Arizona does for basketball have a solid nil foundation. But you know you have a coach that's not necessarily willing to I'm not going to go all out on one player.
Speaker 1: He's here and he's admitted that he's not going to pay players to play the Legacy School of Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, well we give up. Will they give a player of money to come to a zone? Sure, I mean that's what you do. But I'm not going to break the bank for one guy that's going to make or break.
Speaker 1: Me right right right? No, And he's stepfast on that. Yeah, you know, he's going to coach him up or develop them. If you want to be developing, this is the place to come. And that's what he sells. Yeah. So we're gonna hear about nil not making it all the time. So give me up in the in the ranks of this, I'll give you one hundred schools Division one schools top to bottom. You know, the Ohio States, the Texas is near the top of the Alabamas? Or do is Arizona fit net NL world for in terms of a university as a whole. No, No football, which is probably blow basketball football. Yes, I'm just guessing poorly, very poorly. Put football very poorly. Give me a number if it's out of one hundred. Maybe he's sixtieth, seventieth, okay, sixty seven, that's okay. It makes the middle of the pack. That's why I would say probably top twenty, which is a big deal. I mean, they're still pretty good. Maybe top fifteen, that's still good. That's fantastic. And then if you get that or be able to buy some guys coach them up. Yeah, you know what, guess what it's it's all the same. It's the same, except it's pre nil because they're fifteenth anyway, weren't they in the grand scheme of things? Well, and then you saw and again I know there's different aspects that it was a whole different time, but the Sean Miller era, they were getting these top guys. Oh they were. They were going to I wonder why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, all that is what it is now legal and but my point is everybody was doing it, and so that's why you have NIL. But you're seeing the separation. It's like, Okay, why is Duke getting all the top players all the time? Back then all coach K is great and da da da da. Guess what, they're still getting the top players without coach K. Nothing's changed now, it's just about what it's open. Yeah, nothing's changed because the rich are still getting richer. Kentucky's still getting players, do still giving players.
Speaker 1: You know, it's you've developed this reputation and you're the one of the best teams in the country. Well, with's best programs in the country, you're going to be continue to be thought of it as the best teams in the country. And nothing's changed except that other's money involved.
Speaker 2: No, and you know everybody wants to talk about well football makes all the nil and there that's going to be the way of the future that I know. Okay, yes, football makes a lot of money. But guess what Kansas football stinks. Yeah, Duke football stinks. North Carolina football is average, but they dominate basketball, and they had the NL and they had the money to get Well.
Speaker 1: North Carolina doesn't dominate basketball anymore.
Speaker 2: No, but they're still getting the players.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying. Yeah, which makes sense. Players don't players don't make winners. No, they're one of example, one of the examples. We'll see what happens that Kansas. Kansas is not doing well this year.
Speaker 2: No, but I think they'll give Bill self the benefit of the doubt. Oh, of course, of course. But you know what I'm saying, they're not. They're not the Kansas of the past. No, they they don't scare you out on the court. And honestly, even though they won the title, what was that two three years ago? They really haven't scared you of being Kansas in a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though they continue to win. They didn't win recently, but we'll see. I think teams have also kind of the top in the middle have kind of smushed, yes, you know, kind of smushed from one to twenty five have kind of gotten closer. Well, look at Baylor, I mean under Drew, they won in title. They've been that top five team, top ten team for an extended period of time, and here are this season they're hovering in the top twenty five. Where was where was a new recent coaching vacancy happening? Miyani? Oh no, no, no, if Arkansas, if somebody had a bad year that thinking they should should be replaced by Drew, I can't remember. It'll come to me eventually.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about Cali barrycause Kentucky went after Scott Drew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but Kentucky's got his coach. They have his coach, Arkansas has its coach for however long we don't know. But a new opening could be somewhere, and that.
Speaker 2: Drew Oh could be recently. What you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can't remember that school. Why why I am Well, I know why I am lacking. I just can't remember.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I'm sure North Carolina, I'm sure they're getting there. Yeah, I mean you gotta win that. Oh, Indiana and India, Yeah that makes sense. Yeah, he's not going to be there, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah no.
Speaker 2: And look that's an example. They had all the NL, they had over eight million dollars in NL. They got Umar Boo, they got a kid from Oregon, they got a kid from they from Washington. Say they got all these top players in the in the transfer portal and they stink. Yeah, well they're not good. That shows a lot with coaching matters. Yeah, well that coaching matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, if they get a good coach, Indiana could come back. They had Kelvin until he got caught with you doing the stuff. They was.
Speaker 2: Tom Green, solid job there for a period of time. So we'll see what happens. The thing is, Arizona can compete in in nil. If it's true that they're in the fifteen top twenty, I'm sure there's always more. I think about it, and you and you're part of your boards and part of the internet.
Speaker 1: That I watch. Uh, people complain and complain, but they don't contribute.
Speaker 2: No, No, Well what are you going to games? I can't afford it? Are you staying up odd? It's too late and I can't do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Or are you helping within al? No, I'm not. I'm not. I'm not sure how secure that money is or where that one is going.
Speaker 2: You know how you fix things and throw money at it in college sports and throw money at it, and I hope it works. You hope they have the right leadership in place to realize who are they're hiring and who are they bringing into the program.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this, This is a just hypothetical, dumb ask question. Uh, you see Caleb playing well and then not well, and then well, what do you think he's making? I just okay, whatever. If he's I'll give you number five hundred thousand. If he's making that, is he playing to five hundred thousand?
Speaker 2: More?
Speaker 1: Wait? Wait? Is he playing the five hundred thousand. Yeah he is. I think he is.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think because you have the factor of him, of him being that type of you have the resume, you have everything. You know, he has the capability of doing what he does.
Speaker 1: So you're saying, more so, if is he playing worth a million.
Speaker 2: Dollars, that's where we're getting into question, right one point three?
Speaker 1: Okay, one point three? Is he playing worth what he's getting paid? If that's the case.
Speaker 2: If that's the true number, I still think yes, because your alternative option would have been two freshmen, the two kids from one kid at ASU, one kid at Oregon, and they got more because they demanded more, and as she was willing to give it, Oregon was willing to give it, or Arizona said get out of here. Look at where now. Oregon is a good team. Oregon's a good program. Dane Allman's a good coach. But that player that went there isn't a huge factor on that team right now. Sure, Now, the kid at ASU, they started off hot during the non conference season. Now they're two and some in the in the Big twelve, they're not very good. And so do you want a senior making mistakes that knows how to work his way out of it, or do you want a kid that wants to be a one and done? I'm thinking about the NBA. I really don't care.
Speaker 1: Right well, if if that's true, I guess is that true.
Speaker 2: That that's one of the stipulations, is that recruit was trying to be a one another.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll ask Code if that continues to be the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, I haven't watched issue, so I don't know how how he's playing. I'm sure he's playing very well.
Speaker 1: He's a highly last Code because he'll answer those questions pretty honestly if you know how good they are won. And is this guy gone after this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, anybody want to call, We still have some time. We have about five minutes five two zero four one six seventy four forty If you're interested in talking about the recruiting situation or whatever else you want to talk about, that'd be fine.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing that surprised me from the I was thinking was Jaden Bradley. That the consistency that everybody you know, oh he's not good enough, and we were saying it last year. He's not good enough to run the point guard position. Yeah, he had six or seven assists. He had the seven turnovers. Yeah, but he's had six to seven assists. There were steals, seven steals, I believe, eight points. It didn't it didn't let him get to him. Those flowers didn't get to him.
Speaker 1: That's not the question about him. Him though, he was made for that game. Yeah, he's a tough dude, and you can tell he's tough minded. Nothing's going to rattle him. My my concerns was passing is what you were kind of thinking, got to give up the basketball from time to time. As good as you are getting to the basket, going downhill and getting a shot off, you still need to incorporate other people involved. And he did it and he and he has no No, that was this year.
Speaker 3: That's year.
Speaker 1: Last year it was head down, gets the basket and put the ball up. And he's gotten better at it because he has had to get better.
Speaker 2: Because they needed someone out of the two to do that. Is Love going to do that or Jayden? And Jayden fell into that role.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, he's good. He's good.
Speaker 2: He's just not your typical point guard. No, no, but he but he can score. But as he grown and I'm thinking in terms of not drafted but undrafted. As he grew into a potential NBA player season, he will be.
Speaker 1: After another year, after another year, because he's going to get bigger, stronger, better, smarter, all that stuff. But you know how difficult it is to become an NBA player. Everybody, and in this country, in college town, thinks that everybody's an NBA player right doesn't work that way.
Speaker 2: And then he has to compete with overseas prospects more and more. Now they don't forget the G League because they're trying to get.
Speaker 1: A job to try to make their life doing this. Is he is the NBA player? Not right now? Could he be? Yes? Is is Henry Eventually? Eventually I think he will be down the road. He could be because he's a stretch forward. He can shoot it and if he puts a little weight on him, he needs he needs to develop in certain areas to make it up for sure.
Speaker 4: Thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, Caleb's not and and and I'm saying that because other people are saying.
Speaker 2: That, people who know, No, I still don't think he's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well you can tell how how he's not in how he handles the ball. I kind of still kind of sporadic and kind of doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's very very sporadic, very you don't know what you're going to get right anytime.
Speaker 1: Is not not right now?
Speaker 2: Not right?
Speaker 1: But I think he will be oh yeah, yeah, no question. He's talented, he's smart. Uh, he's he knows the game. But just today, like I ask you, how good is Arizona today? Well, not today now Carter today? No, well today, probably a second round draft pick.
Speaker 2: Won.
Speaker 1: He's the prospect right right today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, today, I think he could low first, high second eas leaking into the NBA. But tomorrow next season, is he when he's probably the guy on the ronster, Yeah, lottery pick if not top ten pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well is he?
Speaker 2: Is he with thirty two first rounds, thirty two picks, top thirty thirty thirty picks? Is he?
Speaker 1: Uh, one of the top thirty fighters in the country right now? Right now?
Speaker 2: You know but that they don't draft off.
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, of course not, of course not, but but still you're going.
Speaker 2: To I want to pick him in. I want to pick him in the first round right now, and if you do, it's probably that twenty seven to thirty range. I think next season, once he has a full year to develop. He the guy that's averaging thirteen, fourteen, fifteen points a game, whatever it may be, that's the top ten Pickna. He's gonna get into that form, very very capable of being that guy. Okay, let's take the break early. Now, get a hold of Hode talk about the issue game and what it all means. On the other side, are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 1: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 2: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucside.
Speaker 1: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 6: Yaki Try The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Maddy to Go Designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipments?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Healths.
Speaker 2: Of course, to.
Speaker 8: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose.
Speaker 2: The equipment you need to reach.
Speaker 8: Your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 9: Leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second just west of will Not Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 10: Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 2: It's time to restock your.
Speaker 10: Promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 11: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership, Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance, Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com. That's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, How to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with ut notice.
Speaker 7: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 1: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 7: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five T two oh seven to four to ROH twelve thirteen browd sponsor of Eye on the ball.
Speaker 12: Go cats, got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 13: Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredibly event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium Field. The excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com. Just cure your seat today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports, Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 6: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between. You'll find it all here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 5: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen. Finding want to take part in the show Call up Steve now went five to two oh four one, six, seventy four forty Welcome back toying the ball.
Speaker 3: At here, I'll talk Sports fourteen.
Speaker 1: Ki, I'm Steve RIVERA Troy Hutchison that on the phone. We have a hold. Rabino from Arizona. Double Digest or Devil's Digest I would Tempe you combine the two. Yeah, it's in Rivalryes weekend. Just hold how you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Steve Troy, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: How well you over the hangover from the football season?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, with with the struggles of basketball, I think there's definitely a good contingent of AC fans wondering against spring practice is going to be starting out. But yeah, I mean, obviously, it's been an incredible football season, you know, one that nobody expected all the way back in fall camp. And you know, there were pretty high expectations of the basketball team too, and honestly, I think in the non conference it really turned out a very solid performance. But once a big twelve play started and a lot of key injuries happening to the team, it's definitely been a rocky road for the Sun Devils.
Speaker 1: This might be a tongue in cheek kind of question, but it seems like Bobby's snake bit and I say that and are not so bad, not in a bad way at all. It's just like, over the years, something always happens and you're talking about injuries, now, how is that happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that the injuries that are happening this year. Honestly, I mean, you know, covering Bobby, you know, not only you know covering Bobby this whole tenure at Arizona State and even teams previous to that in TMP, I really don't remember so many key injuries happening this early in in conference play and that it really does throw you off track.
Speaker 1: Now, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, for the most part, SUO has lost to very good teams like Kansas, like like Baylor, Iowa State obviously, and I wouldn't even throw a team like UCF that you know definitely has been impressive at some points here early on in Big Twelve play. But yeah, I think that when you look at a team that you thought was going to be pretty deep when it season started, and again going back to non conference play, I definitely thought they did show a lot of promise, and here they are when the conference play began with a twenty point loss at Provo, and I don't think I might expected BYU to be a world beater. And ironically, right after that big win against ASU, they went into a pretty lengthy funk and that game against BYU to open Big Twelve play that was the only game you can look at to say that ASU actually did have all its starters healthy and playing, and from there on out it's just one starter injured after another after another and kind of playing musical shows with that. So yeah, I would say that's really been an anomaly. And I don't remember any Bobby Hurley team in his ten years in TENP really being stincmid to use your term when it comes to the injury.
Speaker 2: But you know, they, like you said, they got off on a hot start and they've gone through injuries and whatnot. But what have you seen in terms of the on play, in terms of the court play on the court, what are some of the things that they were maybe doing during that first half of the season that they're not doing so well now that they've struggled at.
Speaker 3: Well. I mean, I don't want to boil it down to one certain player, but I think Dressan Sanan, which is obviously a huge storyline going into this game on Saturday, a former U of A commit. I think that when he was healthy and it was still in the phase where teams were trying to figure him out defensively, he was really able to be the straw that stirred the drink if you will, and everything just really kind of fell in line from there. He started I think only maybe the first first game or two of the season and then coming off the bench, he's been an absolute solid sixth man or a s U until he got injured in that season. I'm tarting that big twelve opener against by You And ever since then, this really has not been himself. I think that the Scotland report that has been out on him for a couple of months now has really slowed him down to and that has been kind of a domino effect where when he when he's not on the court a SU definitely misses his scoring. His is just offensive spark off the bench. And ever since he's been I would say somewhat healthy because I still don't think it's one hundred percent healthy plant ankle injury, you know, when when he when he's on the court now, it's just not the same just on that we that we've seen in non conference play, and I think that has had a pretty bad domino effect for the team. And again not to belabor the point, but just some key injuries to starters like DJ Freeman Jaden Quayens really have been that perfect storm of obstacles that a se was trying to ne gay through and obviously when you look at the results, are having a hard time to do that.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the status on those players you mentioned one? And and I'm you know, I don't I haven't followed an issue that closely. But for me, and I've seen enough of these games now what thirty five years going up there that after a big win for Arizona, the thing that they have to guard against are the letdown emotionally, whether the issue is good or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but Arizona's definitely definitely going to come off a big high. But I would also say that just because that game did play, did take place all the way on Monday and not let's say forty forty eight hours for this contest on Saturday, I think maybe the high that Arizona is on as definitely you know, really diminished in its in its quality for for lack of a better term, when it comes to as two, I think this is probably a good chance that Jayden Queen Quint's is going to play you know, BJ Freeman, that might be you know, more TV deal, though he has already played injured early on in Big Twelve play, So I won't be shocked at both of them are going to be back playing, but again, how effective are they going to be because you know, going back to the Jan Stannon, I don't know if really he's one hundred percent healthy as we speak, because ever since he came back from that ankle injury, his numbers, his playover role has been way down and nothing like we've seen from him during the during non conference play. So I think that maybe on paper, in terms of bodies, a SU is going to get everybody back, But in terms of the health and effectiveness of each is each of those players, I think that's a huge unknown for Arizona State right now.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody has injuries, and it's kind of pulled up on Bobby here. But throughout the years, Bobby's had these really good teams that they start off hot and then they kind of fizzle out a fan or they start off so and they catch fire then and it's been kind of, I don't want to say him up and down tenure there for him, but a successful one given the fact where ASU basketball was before Bobby Hurley. But what is the feeling around the athletic department around the fan base of coach Hurley, and you know the success he's had in the future of him being at ASU.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, Troy. I mean, I think to call Bobby Hurley's ten year in TIMP complex and maybe even use the CLICHEV a roller coaster is really not far fetched. In my opinion, he almost has just as many winning seasons as he has losing seasons. You know what that year they're talking about twenty seventeen eighteen that started out started the year of guard you if you will. And here ASU comes in into Tucson, number three in the country, undefeated PAC twelve opener and lose that game to Arizona. But but even then, people didn't realize what was what was going.
Speaker 2: To follow, which, if you recall.
Speaker 3: Was a s U I believe finishing eighth or tenth and then in the Pacts of standing Pacts of standings. But just because they had such a great non conference resume, they're able to uh to squeak in uh and and getting get into the Anti A Tournament, and really uh a s U has yet to qualify to the tournament without making that stop in Dane, Ohio, and and trust me had got plenty a SU fans that don't consider that an into the tournament game, which obviously is an error, but they don't like that playing game. They just want a s U already to be uh in the field of of on one of the four regions without making that pit stop in Dayton. So even when when a SC had successful years, I think, uh, the AC fan base has looked at it as some someone in the cinical eye.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: And in terms of the future of Bobby Hurley, you know, that's a definitely interesting question, just because you have a new athetic director Grammar Scene who did not hire Bobby Hurley. You know, how much lee Wayne patience does he have. On the one hand, you know, playing in one of the toughest conferences in the Big twelve in America, in the Big Twelve, obviously going through a massive roster a turnover. But in the other hand, just seeing a team that frankly has regressed from its non conference play right now into interconference slate. So I think that is something that is a huge unknown. I mean, I wouldn't say that it's a given that Bobby Hurley is going to be here next year or not. And I think that you know, the staff members, probably behind closed doors, would probably say the name. It would hard for me to see Sue qualifying for the in tournament and Bobby Hurley not continuing. I think maybe that's the only guarantee you would have at this point. And yes, I know that the road for I was gonna say the two qualify after the Navy Tournament is definitely a bumpy wand and they're going to really have to clear a lot of obstacles that may look quite challenging right now, but I think right now it's really just a big unknown in terms of what the future holds for Bobby Hurley as being the coach for Arizona State and the next year, in the years to come, a lot is going to be determined, I think in the next couple of months.
Speaker 1: So one of the responses I thought you'd have to do, one of the choice questions was you know, how did you get here? And what's been the struggle? They've played a tougher conference schedule than Arizona. Arizona has yet to get into the teeth of the of their issues. Maybe maybe in two weeks. You know, of course, they played Baylor here and they played I would state here. But you know it's okay, they played them here, you know what I'm saying, issue and not to I'm not giving an alibi a issue with can because they pay Kansas and all these other teams, But there is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it is definitely a valid points Steve. You know, and first of all, I think that even some ACU fans will have to tip their hat to Arizona, who did not look good at all in non conference play, and once the big twelfth sleeate began, it was almost like watching watching a brand new a brand new team out there. And I think with a fu, I mean, yeah, it was a tough schedule. But you know, if you recall, uh, their their first half performance in Lawrence, Kansas was probably the best first half of ac played.
Speaker 1: All year long.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, maybe the elements of of Alan Allen field field House got to them in the second half and and the end up losing that game. You have a game against Baylor where at home, where they played arguably the worst first half they ever played this year. We're still able to get to get the game into overtime, but didn't play well uh in overtime at all. They play against UCF and they have their player of the leader his name is mc keishawn Hall, who scores forty points and that's the offense for the nights, the entire night. So it's you know, so even when they play against the better teams, and obviously Iowa State last Saturday they lead by seven at the half, another excellent first half and just not able to be consistent. So I think consistency has definitely eluded ASU. I mean sure, when you play teams like like Bay or Light Kansas, like Iowa State, if you're just gonna give just a little opening over there for your opponent to make a comeback and really to turn the tables around, they're absolutely going to do it. And I think that that's something in Aco has really been experiencing, you know, with the injury issues. I mean, it really is hard to be consistent. So that's something that in fairness is hurting as right now. But really, aside from that, the big twelve opener against b YU on the road where just Ac was not in the game at all, I don't know how many bad forty minute games as who played from there on app I mean, you know, they're not able to put two halves together, or they play game against Baylor where they played an excellent second half and maybe all the energy that they expended well just really caught up with them in overtime and they didn't play well and lost that game. So you know, it's not like as few as it's really being you know, taken to the cleaners on a nightly basis in the Big twelve. It's just not being able to be consistent, I be able to put a good forty minutes together. I mean maybe, I guess the win at West Virginia is probably the most complete effort we saw to date, and West Virginia was ranked in the top twenty five. Then you know, I don't know if this you know win at Colorado, which effectively was with a six man rotation, can give them any confidence that a host of those in the Wildcats. But like I said, the Wildcats right now are aren't a huge high I'm just playing outstanding basketball ever since, ever since a big Big Tell play started. So you know, the tests for AFU just seem to get harder and harder each and every game, and Saturday is not going to be an exception. But if you can see that consistency from ASU again, an element that really eluded them from.
Speaker 1: For most of the season.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe maybe you can see an upset, but I think that's a big iff, and you know, not to belabor the point, the health of this team is really in.
Speaker 1: Question, maybe not related to sport to basketball specifically, but how has the climate been with the new a D. With the new a D we had him on here, I guess in the summer, very bright, very energetic guy. Uh and obviously then you have this football season that's unbelievable, right, and then now this basketball season. Has he brought some energy? Do you know that he's going to be totally behind it with money or if that matters because the president? You know, what's the situation been?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that just the theme in TIMP seems to be that when you're hiring alumnus, a lot of a lot of good things happen. So Kenny Dillingham, head coach of the football team, Grammar Sini, the athletic director of the Sun Devils, it just seems that everything has been in a great trajectory ever since they got hired. And you know, I know, maybe some people kind of rolling their eyes, maybe more outside of MP than inside of MP. When you hear that phrase activates the value. But I think that's exactly what Kenny Dillingham and Grammarcy for that matter, have have been able to do. I just think when you have an alumnus in place in such important positions in the athletic department, you just you see the passion, you see the commitment. I think the fan base season individual like Grammar Sini, that they can relate that to them. I mean they were walking, you know, the same sidewalks of campus as Grammar Ciny was some twenty twenty five years ago when he When Gramercini talks about wanting the community to rally behind the team, you know, doing little things like like cutting up parking rates on game day in fifty percent, you know, offering one one dollar you know, water bottles and the season opener. That this is little stuff like that just shows us that this is like director that is listening to concerns with the fans, that wants to make this place better. And he wants to make this place better because he is part of his place. It's woven into his DNA. Even when even grandmer Centy left ASU, he just went fifteen miles up the road to downtown Phoenix to work for the Diamondbacks for several years. So I just think that that that connectivity with the valley is something that that you just can't fake. And everything that you do is you're not do doing just because it's your job description. You're doing it because you ultimately are working for a place that you cared deeply about, a place that's shaped you as a man, that shaped you as a professional. And I just think that passion and that commitment from Mrsini and obviously from from Kenny Dillingham, that this really shows a lot. So I think that fan base has been very, very pleased with a lot of things that grahamer Cini has said and done until now.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: But going back to an earlier question, know what's going to happen with the basketball team and then Bobby early in his future, you know that I think is one decision now that Grammercini is going to be really under the microscope, if you will, if the season that really does go south for the Sun Devil. So maybe right now you're still in the honeymoon phase. But when the tough decisions have to be made in terms of hiring firing coaches, coaches of some of the bigger programs in TENP. I'm really curious to see what the fan base reaction and sentiment is going to be at that point.
Speaker 1: Oh, we appreciate your time. Thanks a bunch. Wait wait, wait, give me a prediction, just real quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, I think the SIGA is going to be a tough a tough one PRAAC to pull out, because again, I think Arizona's really just playing outstanding basketball, you know, for the last you know, five six weeks. I'm predicting. I would say, in eighty five seventy nine, Arizona Winnos.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the relatively close game. Okay, well the episode. We'll see you there, see up on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I don't see on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Okay, take care Odobino from the Devil's DIGESTI okay, so we'll come back and finish off the day. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Hi, this is formal wild get Lemanhnely with Arizona Health. Imagine how a home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your attalian Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms in freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness excerpt and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably On your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tuyson.
Speaker 10: It's time for the Cool of Guarden Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa.
Speaker 1: Come see some of golf's.
Speaker 10: Greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson can Quisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Co et So live in concert at Rito Park. The Colon Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting Colo rectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fall Bomb Crowley Investment Group at OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 5: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to One on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. No, Steve Riverta, you Troy Hutcheon on Thursday. We're done with our interviews. If you'd like to call, we have about to I don't know ten fifteen minutes, ten, ten twelve minutes. I'll give us a quick call. You have some breaking news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. Arizona football staff is out offering a bunch of kids right now, and CoA Malolulu just received an offer from Arizona. Now, if Arizona fans remember that last name, George mol Lulu former I was on a quarterback, his son has received an offer from the u of A and coach Brennan himself.
Speaker 1: So, assician does he play?
Speaker 2: I'm assuming quarterback. I haven't looked. I have not looked, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Well he was he was. I covered the team when he played him in Runnyville shared the position. We have George on every now and again in what a talented family. His daughters played at Mississippi State softball and U c l A Ye, this kid is very very good. I think he was like he was a young kid and doing really well. I think he might be a junior junior. Yeah, so because it's going to be the following class. So yeah, he's had every kid that he's has played the major major college sports.
Speaker 2: Talented family, one of those legacy families that you want to you want to keep it in right.
Speaker 1: No, he was very proud dad. He he talked about this kid here a while back because we saw he was putting up some numbers. I think he is a quarterback. Yeah, great numbers, great numbers. So we'll see, we'll see if he could pull off what time he didn't, kid, that's why I got.
Speaker 2: I got, well, you gotta you gotta shoot that in there with Tommy didn't. Yeah, well it's because my guy who gave me the info, Victor.
Speaker 1: Victor, he's a QB, my boy hobber.
Speaker 2: Yeah QB. So we'll see what happens. I don't know who should be good, you know, and that that's good for the program. When you get these legacy guys fans left, especially like the basketball program, you can afford to miss out on some of them. Football program, you really can't, especially at the kid end us up being good. It's like said, why didn't why didn't you go get him? What was the what was the issue with Bernette? Why didn't he Burnett? Yeah? I just the blocking was won his first two years, he really couldn't block very well. To a lot of injuries along the way kind of derailed him, especially this season.
Speaker 1: That was a sad thing because you know his dad was here, very good player, This guy had potential.
Speaker 2: Very talented, very talented kid, and you could see it was growing on him at times throughout his career at Arizona. I remember rapt with Alimable. He looked a little frustrated. Even though they won the bowl game. He didn't play very I mean he didn't play at all in the bowl game. Came back, worked hard, developed the blocking, and then gets hurt. I think it's just one of those situations where let's start off fresh and just clear, clear clear everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, okay, party best for both sides, right, Yeah? I think so. And then there's less pressure of being your dad son that too.
Speaker 2: And you know you saw Arizona Brannan tight Ends from San Jose State. They were recruiting tight Ends. So eventually it's like, okay, well, if I'm going to keep on getting injury, I'm not going to get out there on the field. We got to go somewhere.
Speaker 1: Right again, if you want to call five two zero four, one sixty, we could take the call, no problem. So you're going up Saturday. I'm sure that the crowd is going to be I don't know, maybe fifty to fifty. Typically it's about seventy five twenty five Arizona. Yeah, but this is not a this is not a team that I think locals have embraced. Yeah. No, what I'm saying, yeah, because even Monday Nights game was not It was sold out, but it wasn't full.
Speaker 2: No, no. And when we say it was a great crowd, not in terms of numbers, but it was a great crowd in terms.
Speaker 1: Of vocal vocal, Yeah, vocal, very vocal. But let's remember also to the I would State had a lot of people there.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: It was probably the biggest or second biggest crowd for an opponent that I've seen.
Speaker 2: In the last thirty five years. It's the biggest one I can remember. Yeah, I think maybe Colorado their first year had a couple of fames.
Speaker 1: Peterson and this is the one I figured it could be rivalry with, is the Grand Canyon. Yeah, because the students are you know, the students are obnoxious. There was a girl behind us, remember, screaming and yelling and just doing the free throws. But and I think it was during break where they were able to get tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it wasn't a larger abundance though, but they were allowed. I say there was a lot of them.
Speaker 1: There were because when they were doing really well, you could hear them. You could actually hear them. And it was not in what spot they were throughout the building.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I went to my friends who have tickets a few of them to see if they had gotten rid of their tickets, because that's how they got them, right. Yeah, they were in sporadic spots. Yeah, it wasn't a group. It was in groups, so that I'm sure that a lot of the season ticket holders figured they did make a good penny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they probably did. And you know what, they probably attacked the ones where eight thirty at night. Maybe it's a Monday. I want to go to bed here.
Speaker 1: I just watch it on the show and watch it on TV and then you know, read about it the next day.
Speaker 2: Made for a good game, though.
Speaker 1: That was a very good game, a very good game because there was on it was out and then it came back with that sixteen points, sixteen to zero lead or run turned it up, played well, played defense, exceptionally well physically, and then just played well enough to win. Yeah, longdon huh? They should have never won that game. Did you watch to Houston Kansas game?
Speaker 2: I saw? I did not watch it. I was an incredible game, incredible game. I saw that what that Kansas up six? They should have never lost that game, like eighteen seconds. They should have never last that game of regulation. You should have never lost that game in overtime, and then they got beaten overtime. But you know what, isn't that Houston basketball in a nutshell? Underneath Calvin Samson finding ways, finding ways, being gritty and getting the w at the.
Speaker 1: M You that's who they are and that's what happened.
Speaker 2: That's their identity.
Speaker 1: Well is it? Arizona's no?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did they pull that off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it happens well, and not to the degree. But like, remember when Arizona played Houston back when Chase Buddinger got stepped on the base. That's one of the weirdest comebacks I've ever seen. They didn't have that feeling, but you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, no, And that's a good point because I was it was right there right in front of before Chase got stepped on. I forget the guy's name, because I had Chase on maybe a month or so ago. Yeah, we talked about that because that was one of those dreams games and then propelled them to get to the to the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they went on that winning street. They I believe they're down by ten with forty eight seconds. Yeah, I mean, just unreal, right, I remember the stadium was almost empty by the time they started coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was crazy. It was crazy, and I wouldn't say old to be I can't remember saying we stepped on his ogles, be something like that, stepped on his face and the rest is history. There was another one of those games, Yeah, you know, the UCLA game, the start, the Selene shot, blah blah, blah that you kind of always remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's my favorite. That's one of my favorites. Which one the sealine this slim.
Speaker 1: Yeah over overall follow.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah over well he backed up too, Yeah, because that Selene's dribbling now and everybody in the stae we knew he was going to shoot the ball and the follow gave him that one little yeah backup. That was it?
Speaker 1: About a distance of five feet shot about thirty feet? Yeah, no, good game, I remember it. Well, anybody want to call we you have about five minutes, just about five minutes, five to four one six seventy four forty Thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's how much do you think? Joe Salve the hiring and Joe Salve is just re energized this program.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: In terms of what the outlook at the start of the off season two.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know, but it definitely came with jolt yeah and something that this program needed. What it all means, you don't know until until you're there right in the product on the field, yeah, yea yeah, yeah. Because you can have all the recruits you had and if they don't produce blah blah, blah, but it's something that they needed at least to show that the people that they care and they're serious about getting better.
Speaker 2: Not only that serious about getting better. You're looking out there on you know, Twitter and all these social media apps. All of a sudden, you see Joe Salve offer this person, Joe Salve offer that person, Joe Salve offers this five star. It's like, Wow, They're they're really hitting the ground hard with Joe right right.
Speaker 1: Well, what about the new guys? Uh, the offensive coordinator yep, uh salvea. Uh, they've got like three four impact outside of Gonzales. He's not new, but the new guys they must be having some type of impact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, younger guys. Yeah, Miller tight end coach. Yeah, but they're they're hitting the ground hard with the new faces on the coaching staff and they're they're working it right.
Speaker 1: Uh A Keen still going to have a big impact.
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean, Safety's coach and probably have some word in terms of defensive scheme because he always throws his you know, voice out there and you take it into consideration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still a voice of reason. See what happens, We'll see what good Gonzales is I think I think he'll be fine. I mean, once a great defense coordinator, you have that that niche. Yeah, I mean Wade Phillis is a horrible head coach for the Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos. Goes back to being a difference coordinator, great defense coordinator. It's funny. I ran into him at the Breeders' Cup in the elevator because he owns some horses and he not a not a powerful assuming man. But on TV he looked like that, you know, big guy. He wasn't that big. He was older now obviously, so let's hope for me that when you get older you lose weight. But we'll see, we'll see what happens. Good good, hier obviously an excellent higher well. Oh so we'll see. Uh okay, so I'll see you up in Tempe, yup. See they're bright and early, Brida and early. I'm not sure if I'm gonna stay tomorrow night or go up early Saturday morning. It's really because it's CBS game, right game. Do we know who's doing the game. I don't know. We'll find out tomorrow, probably before the press COMMO tomorrow. Ye, yeah, Tommy will address us I mean a random player we don't know yet, right, uh, maybe maybe Carter. Has Carter been up there league, I don't think so. I can't remember last time he was uping good time, Yeah, a good time. He's had a good, nice impact. Luck has been up there, and I think he's he's one of the guys that they need him to show up now now now that we know what he can do.
Speaker 2: He's he's the type of player that an Arizona team hasn't had in quite some time or maybe ever entering March, where you know what you get in these physical games. He's gonna bump and grind and give you that that push against the physicality.
Speaker 1: Right well, showy, thanks for joining us, Thanks everybody for listening. We'll talk to you guys tomorrow.