Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to Judy Buckeye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom, how's it going?
Speaker 2: Tony? After being at practice this week and having several people power pause me in person, I think we just need to let everyone know. Number One, it will never not be funded to me. I want to let you know how much I appreciate it. Number Two, you got to hold that pause a little bit longer. I get the sense that people are listening to us that like one point two five speed, one and a half speed. You gotta hold the paws a little longer to make it clear what you're doing, because every once in a while it's like just it's a little too soon. So just just something as we get into camp season. It is preseason for everyone, Tony, and that's just something that everyone can just, you know, continue to work on as we get ready to kick off the football season.
Speaker 1: It's just too bad that that's become a normal greeting to you. I should have started something like a punch in the gut or something like that. That way when everybody sees it, Tom, you know, how's it going? And that would be great for all and but no, foresight involved in any of the show, as you people know. But it was great all three days saying hi to people, people coming up and saying, hey, always enjoy the show, thanks for what you do. You're hero among men. Just really I don't know if you got any of those time, but it was great to have everybody so so honored. I'd say to interact with us.
Speaker 2: And if you do see Tony in person, you know, obviously you can't powerpaulse him because that's his thing, but you can say, hey, chief, what's going on? So that's that's a traditional greeting if you see Tony in public.
Speaker 1: So while we were at the first three days of practice, we the fourth practice on Sunday was closed to the public, but we do want to talk about some of the things that we heard about going on at practice. Give you three standouts from the day, and I've let's start with let's start with a true freshman, which true freshman. Let's start with Jay Timmins, who we have seen the first three days working well at least the last two on Friday and Saturday, working with the ones at Nickel back there again from what we're told on Sunday, and boy Tom and your experience of doing this. If a true freshman is with the ones for the majority of say, the first week of fall camp, that to me means that you're going to be with the ones the majority of season, because one, you've already made the jump. You've you've made the move to the ones. Like, what is the point in seeing, well, let's just see what this freshman can do with the first team, Like this is this is a real thing here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a real thing for sure. If you see a guy with the ones right at the beginning of fall camp, generally they're going to default to the older guy because you can always go the older guy, and then the younger guy surpasses the older guy and wins the job. For the younger guy or the youngest guy in this case, to be the person who is repping with the ones already. That is that's pretty telling to me. And you know, as you said, Friday and Saturday, yes, Sunday. You know, sometimes they'll do something and it's like, well, it's opening the public and then once the doors are closed then stuff will change. Does not sound like that's what happened when the doors got closed on Sunday. So yeah, that that to me is I'm not writing it down in ink just yet, but you know, I'm pushing pretty hard on the PA on my depth chart to write Jay Timmins's name in as the starting nickel. Just is one of those things where if you can do it right now, you're only going to get better. The learning curve is going to be much steeper for a true freshman, where if it's your fourth or fifth year, the extra ten practices, fifteen practices, it's not that much of your career. It's like, you know, if you're three years old, a year is a huge chunk of your life. If you are sixty years old, a year is like a tiny slice of your life. It's the same thing for college football players. If you're a true freshman, this fall camp is basically more than half of your on field experience as a college player. If you're a fourth year player, fifth year player, it's just you know, it's just like one more slice of your college football career. So that is a long way of getting around to the point which I'm making, which is he's only going to get better as fall camp goes along, because you're going to start picking stuff up sooner. You're seeing a lot of stuff from the first time you're watching film of yourself for the first time against the Ones. He is only going to get better. Keep in mind he's a true freshman. There will be he will have freshman moments this fall. That is a thing that is going to happen. Just prepare yourself. It is not going to be perfect, but it sounds like it is almost certainly happening well.
Speaker 1: And there may still also be the freshman wall in camp, which will happen in the spring. For some guys, maybe it happens in fall and you've got to get through it. The I guess the real test would have been if Texas was the season opener this year, is he out there with the Ones? Is he starting getting that first game under the belt against ball State. I think we'll help everybody. I like that you said you're just pressing firmly in pencil. But Tom, if you remove that page, we can just like take a pencil over that and see what you have written down. So just keep that in mind. If you're ever like trying to hide something, we can we can still see what you wrote there. But just seeing him on Saturday on a couple of nickel blitzes and like, yeah, sure, blitzing as a nickel. If nobody's picking up, you're going to get the quarterback. But he's he's around the ball, and he is. It's just so I mean, that's his thing, right, is just being around the ball. You know, a a a straight football player. So like the idea that he's moved up the chart, the depth chart through spring and fall camp. It's like, well, you know, that's what guys like him do, and now you just got to continue to perform and we'll see because he's you know, if you're working with the ones, you're working against the ones as well, so ones and twos, and you're gonna sink or swim, and they're giving him an opportunity to swim, and we'll see what happens. But it's just very very interesting that he has been elevated so quickly because it doesn't mean nothing. It means something. So keep that in mind. The other two fresh we want to talk about her. You know I heard that legend by while overall there's some you know, the running game wasn't necessarily outstanding on Sunday and we're talking about a bunch of other things on the Buckeye Insider's message board, you can go find the thread we're talking about from Sunday practice, and also got a fall camp thread that has many many pages deep now from with practice reports there as well. But Legend Bay apparently had a pretty nice run today and we saw him doing some similar things on Saturday. His ability to spin out of trouble and the thing that struck me about him on Saturday, and it sounds like the same thing was going on on Sunday. He just gets when when tacklers are coming at him in one on one situations, he just gets so low to the ground while staying without being down, and guys just go right over top of him and he still has this balance and then he springs up and goes and just an interesting thing where he for this running game that can be styled if it does get stifled, there's always this threat that boom there he goes, And it sounds like that's that's what Sunday was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The word that was used to describe it to me was shifty, which yeah, I mean, that's what he looks like. And on Saturday when we were in there, there was just it was like a swing pass out to the flat and he caught it, and he was going up against Jermaine Matthews was the one in coverage, and Jermaine Matthews was like squared up to him, and then just all of a sudden, like a little spin and he ducked and he got real low and then all of a sudden, boom, he's gone. And that is something that that is not something that everyone can do. I mean, if you're a football player at Ohio State, you are one of the very, very very high level athletes in the nation. But not even everyone on the Ohio State team has been able to do that. And that's something they've sort of been missing in some cases with the running back room in the past. Now there are a lot of moving pieces here with Legend Bay and he's still a true freshman, and you've got all sorts of other stuff you got to get handled on and off the field to make sure you are in a position to be out there and making these kind of plays. But it sure seems like if he can handle all the other stuff, all the less exciting stuff, he has the exciting stuff covered there. And you know it says, as you said, I think this is this was it sounds like it was a good day for the defense on the whole, but he maybe just brings something to this offense that they can't get a lot of other places. And I continue to think that he's going to be someone who is going to play a little a little more often than you would expect from a true freshman.
Speaker 1: The other thing that stuck out with me is just how hard he was running the entire time. His legs are always moving, just continually churning, and it kind of reminded me of back back in the back, back back day watching Roger Craig just always his high knees. I'm not saying he's got high Roger Craig knees, but it's just he's constantly moving and he's not sitting in one spot. He's looking for his next angle or move and it's just fun to watch. And you know, we'll get to see uh, we'll get to continue hearing more about him till we all get to see him in person. And the season opener you mentioned the defense having a good day. One of those guys having a good day. Bo Atkinson, the fifth year senior from North Carolina transferred, was a Buckeye last year. Of course, and came in with expectations that he will tell you he did not meet. He was not happy, But it sounds like and from what we're told, based on Sunday, what we saw this first weekend, I'm to the point now where I think while those expectations were over expectations, which I would look, have I done. Have we done some over expectations shows? Yes, we actually did two of them. But the I don't know that he was going to match the expectations I know he was last year was tough. I don't know that he can even match those expectations last year this year. But I do think based on what we've seen, what we're hearing, this is going to be the year that he wanted to have, that he thought he could have last year. But it was just a very eye opening experience for him. This first year is a buckey, and now he is much more prepared to become what people wanted him to become.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's probably a combination of physical development and growth, and he just he looks bigger this year, but he also looks a little quicker, a little more flexible, Like he jumped out on Saturday to me and was you know, he's he's repping. He was repping with the ones on Saturday, which was you know, that was not necessarily the first name we were saying in terms of who's going to line up across from Kenyata Jackson, and he was very consistently there and was making the most of his opportunities. And again sounds like that was happening again on Sunday in the practice he is. You know this, this would be a really big thing for Ohio State if you have another veteran guy, big strong guy who has sort of been there and seen there and seen it and done that, and you're not necessarily having to rely on well, you got to get forty snaps out of Ion Grady, you got to get forty snaps out of Episatonolite. You If those guys can be the third and fourth guys there and you get twenty snaps out of them and then if they're ready, great, by all means play forty, but you don't need to rely on them from right at the start of the season. That would be really, really helpful for Ohio State. And you know, it does feel like, as you said, he's not the expectations coming into last season were probably a little out of line with the production that he had at North Carolina because a lot of his production was concentrated just in a couple of games and it was not, you know, consistently throughout the course of the season. If he can be a consistent player for Ohio State this year, he doesn't you know, he doesn't need to be Chase Young, But if he can just be a consistent player and get them you know, I don't know, six sacks something like that this season off the edge and just be a really good, consistent veteran presence, take some of the pressure off some of the younger guys and let them kind of continue to come along as they are. That would be really really big for the defensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the depth that continues to build there, it will be interesting to watch. So those are some of the things that we're talking about. Even as as we're talking, I'm just looking at the text coming in on some of the stuff that we can throw up on the message board there at Buckeye Insiders dot com. And as Tom says, for the price of a lousy Chang Store pizza a month, and you know, you eat more lousy change store pizzas than just once a month, so you know, but sign up, come over, say hi, see what we're talking about, and much more coming as we're not going to be back at inside a practice maybe the rest of camp if if things go as expected. So that's why it's always good to have boots on the ground and you know, ears to the ground and all of that stuff. You can find all that at Buckeye Insider stockdown. So that will do it here. Thank you all for titting in and we'll talk to you all.
Speaker 2: This time. What else, nothing away? The lone tell me I wish you devilment nothing to me, w if you can tell me that's the moors all right, we can steal current. Leave tonight