Speaker 1: This podcast is intended for mature audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 1: Before Kelly Wilson vanished in nineteen ninety two, she had become really good friends with this local girl named Jennifer. Jennifer lived in Gilmer, Texas, just a few houses down from Kelly's family. Like Kelly, Jennifer was a senior in high school that year, but she went to a smaller school outside of town. When Kelly never came home from work on the night of January fifth, nineteen ninety two, Jennifer didn't even find out for a couple of days. When she heard the news, she hurried over to Kelly's house.
Speaker 3: One thing I do remember is that when I went to see her mom, Kathy, when I found out.
Speaker 4: That she was missing. I found out Tuesday.
Speaker 3: As I'm standing there talking to her mom, she's just saying, you know, Jennifer, they're saying that she's you know, they think she's just run away. She's like, there's no way she's run away. I mean she left her purse, she left her contact solutions, she.
Speaker 4: Left I mean she left everything.
Speaker 3: And she's like, and she left all this money she has. So she takes me in a room and she opens a drawer and she shows me just a lot of cash, a lot of cash.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, yeah, that's definitely weird.
Speaker 1: Jennifer had no idea what was Kelly doing with all that money.
Speaker 3: I think it's unusual that any of us would have a lot of cash. She worked it in TV. She would have gotten paid with a check.
Speaker 2: Are we talking like hundreds of dollars or more?
Speaker 4: I don't remember for sure, but it was significant.
Speaker 1: Joe Henry, the former video store manager, also said that Kelly was paid by never cash. Jennifer remembers another strange detail from the weekend in nineteen ninety two when Kelly vanished. The girls had gone out Friday night with another friend named Misty. I haven't been able to reach Misty. It was a quiet night in Gilmert Friday night.
Speaker 3: We just, I guess she could say, kind of wandering aimlessly. I think we did go out to some trailer house. Some guys lived out there, just you know, see what they were doing. It didn't we didn't stay long. I ended up happening to go home close to midnight or a little before, and her and Missy ended up staying out later.
Speaker 4: And so the next morning, you know.
Speaker 3: We kind of call each other or talking and kind of you know, recapping the night, and I'm curious to know if they ended up finding anything else to do. And you know, she's telling me, no, not really. You know, we stayed out another hour or so, and then we came home. And then as we're talking, she's like, you know, I think somebody came.
Speaker 4: To my window.
Speaker 1: Kelly's bedroom window was right next to a little side street.
Speaker 3: She's trying to sort out whether she's imagining this, she was, you know.
Speaker 4: Maybe a little drunk, couldn't hearing.
Speaker 3: Things or dreamed it, or it really happened.
Speaker 4: But as she's you know, kind of talking out loud, she's just saying.
Speaker 3: You know, well, no, I think there were somebody there. You know, there were taking one windows, saying hey Kelly. She I guess convinced herself that yeah, maybe there was somebody actually there because she heard the dogs blocky. She couldn't really say who, I mean, she didn't know, she just knew it would sound like a couple of guys.
Speaker 1: Jennifer was still talking to Kelly's mom, Kathy, when they were joined by James York Brown, the officer investigating Kelly's disappearance, the strange guys knocking on Kelly's window that seemed like a clue Sergeant Brown might want to know about.
Speaker 3: Near the end of our visit, Brown shows up and she introduces me to him, and she.
Speaker 4: Says, you know, why don't you tell him.
Speaker 3: About Kelly's thinking somebody came to her window the other night, And so I tell him, you're thinking like.
Speaker 4: The movies, like well, maybe they can fingerprint the window sill or you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Nothing ever came a bit like you know, I guess I asked her mom later, did he check?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: She's like, well, I think he looked, but they didn't really investigate that lead, I guess she could say. And I never got another I never I was never called about it, and I was never.
Speaker 4: Asked about it.
Speaker 3: And I think there's a lot of people her friend group that could say kind of like, yeah, there were a lot of kind.
Speaker 4: Of loose ends that weren't explored. So there was maybe, you know, another side to Kelly that some.
Speaker 3: Of us didn't know, or or just maybe on another side, but other things that she was involved in, perhaps.
Speaker 4: I remember going before that.
Speaker 3: Her injury and They were asking me all these questions about Kelly. They were asking me questionable things I didn't know. There were some pictures of Kelly naked that had circulated around the school. They asked me if I knew if she'd ever done cocaine. I was like no, and I mean we partied. I don't feel like she'd keep a lot from me, But I don't know because I've since learned things, you know, first hand.
Speaker 1: Things No one I've spoken to said they ever saw Kelly using any substances harder than alcohol and pot. But I heard something else that connects back to drugs. Kelly had this step cousin from Louisiana, where she'd lived before she moved to East Texas. The cousin didn't want to be recorded, but she says that Kelly confided in her during the fall semester of their senior year, when they took a campus tour of Louisiana State in Baton Rouge.
Speaker 6: She told me she wanted to move back to her dad's to get away from her ex. He was harassing her, demanding back gifts he had given her, wouldn't accept that they were done. She told me they broke up because he was dealing, and she was pissed because he tricked her into holding for him once when he was going to be gone for a weekend.
Speaker 1: Kelly didn't mention any names to her cousin, And I've looked at several guys Kelly dated and I haven't heard about any of them dealing drugs.
Speaker 3: People are afraid, I think of just throwing stuff out there willy nilly, because there are a lot of decent people that were maybe mixed up in this, and then maybe some shady characters too. But you don't know, you know, so you just you don't want to be careless.
Speaker 1: Jennifer also addresses claims made in the last episode that Kelly might have been taking money for sex. This sort of thing couldn't happen in Gilmer, right.
Speaker 4: Well, on one hand, I'm kind of like, wouldn't we know?
Speaker 3: I mean, like we were partying with Kelly and we weren't like judging, I mean, we.
Speaker 4: Were all up to no good for the most part, just having fun. But why wouldn't she tell us?
Speaker 3: But then again, if that was actually happening and we didn't know, well, then there was this other side of things that was going on, and we didn't know about it. I don't know what other girls, though.
Speaker 4: Would have been participating in that. There was this circle.
Speaker 3: You know, if there were two or three or four girls that were getting paid to have sex with older men, who else would it be?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: One more rumor has floated out there for years. In episode one, Kelly's dad Robbie said, the last time he ever talked to his daughter, Kelly said she had something to tell him. Here's Kelly's friend, Michelle.
Speaker 7: I honestly don't think that the pregnancy, what is the reason why she's gone? I just don't in my heart of hearts, I don't feel like that.
Speaker 1: Michelle thinks Kelly found out something she wasn't supposed to know.
Speaker 7: As a young girl, you start questioning, you might get upset. I can't get ready to turn somebody in. Or she witnessed she knew about who was doing drugs. She probably I mean, she could have made a threat or anything, because she was upset about what had transpired. And if the whole community gets scared that she's going to take.
Speaker 8: Them down, they'll handle it.
Speaker 7: So my fear is that it's something she got in way too deep, and she got in way too deep, maybe because she was pregnant and getting upset and things were starting to at Snowball.
Speaker 1: According to Michelle, the day before Kelly disappeared, she told a couple of her friends that she needed to tell them something. There's no way to know if this is the same something Kelly wanted to tell her dad, Robbie.
Speaker 7: And then Saturday she went to work and she told them come by later because I have something I need to show you or tell you. I feel like she wanted them to come up there. She needed to show them something up there at the video store. I mean, keep in mind, back then, we did not have cell phones.
Speaker 8: You can't send pictures.
Speaker 7: If you want to talk to somebody, you're on a landline where somebody could be let listening to you. So you're probably not going to have a real in depth conversation on a landline. That could be detrimental. So you're going to want to have those conversations in person. So she wanted them to come back and wanted to show them something. And then they had volleyball tournaments and got into light and said we'll just catch up with her later, and so they never.
Speaker 9: Did go to me.
Speaker 1: All this speculation, rumor, and peculiar details raised more questions than answers. A week after my first call with private investigator Amanda Gammel, she and I agreed to meet at the local library. Amanda brought along her husband, Ricky, just in case I turned out to be a weirdo. Amanda had learned some other stuff about Kelly, things that had never been shared in public. As the private investigator for Kelly's mom, Kathy, Amanda wasn't exactly on team Robbie.
Speaker 10: There was a point in time that he had put Kelly in a mental institution, but he didn't tell you that, didn't he mut at all?
Speaker 11: And we are we're working on getting those records right Neil to see why, what, what was his motive for that?
Speaker 10: Why did he do that?
Speaker 1: Later I called and asked Robbie whether he'd ever had Kelly committed. He turned it back on Kathy.
Speaker 12: She would go weeks from her mother, and I'd come home from work and I could tell immediately Kathy had called and talked to her. Her entire personality and disposition which would be different, be agitated and all that kind of stuff. But anyway, long story shore when she was when Kelly was the last time she was living with us, she went on one of these tears after Kathy had agitated her and she tried to run away, and so yeah, I put her in in a hospital just for no other reason, to keep her from going back to her mother. But she wasn't there but a wink or so if I remember right, and I think Katy came and got her out.
Speaker 13: She was she diagnosed with any kind of psychic psyched I don't.
Speaker 12: I don't recall that she was well.
Speaker 2: She might have been, but she was.
Speaker 12: She was just a very confused young lady that her mother just kept, like I said, just kept things stirred up.
Speaker 1: Like Kelly's friend Michelle Amanda believes that Kelly might have been pregnant when she vanished.
Speaker 10: As I've continued to investigate and the more that I have found out, there were a lot of I'm just gonna say it, there was a lot of sexual payments made to Kelly by judges, lawyers, police officers.
Speaker 4: So that's where we.
Speaker 10: Get into the part where I told you that if we're not careful, we could have lives and danger. The FBI does investigate correction, and it's very possible at this point that it's all going to be linked together, and it's all tied together.
Speaker 4: We are pretty confident that she was pregnant.
Speaker 10: I don't know how far along she did lock older men.
Speaker 14: We do know that.
Speaker 4: We're looking at.
Speaker 10: We're looking at some bad people, I mean, with data doubt.
Speaker 1: Amanda and I talked so long the library closed for the day.
Speaker 4: Do you want to grab Sam?
Speaker 1: We reconvened in the parking lot. I shared a few things with Amanda that I'd heard things about Kathy. In the last episode, you heard Sergeant Brown allege that Kathy wanted to end the search for Kelly. But according to Amanda, Kathy said no such thing.
Speaker 15: The only person that she really truly did not like was James Brown, and that's because she felt like that he was covering things up and hiding things. What she told him was, you're gonna bring somebody else in here to help investigate this. I want my daughter found, she said. I remember saying something about that. She said, but I don't. She said, it's like half of half of things are a daze for me. And I said, like you were on autopilot. She said yes, And she said, but I don't. I never went in there and told him he's going to close this case. Why would I tell him to close the case on my daughter. Then they started, you know, pointing the finger at Kathy, and they went through separate ways because Kathy said, I'm not I'm not doing this. I'm not gonna deal with this. I'm looking for my daughter. You're not gonna sit here and tell me that I killed my daughter through Amanda.
Speaker 1: Cathy also rejected the claim that she was already talking about funeral arrangements the day after Kelly turned up missing.
Speaker 15: Okay, squash funeral arrangement talk. I'm going to squash that. And it was not that day that they got there, she said. At one point, we did talk about a funeral, she said, and it's because we had not had.
Speaker 8: Where is she?
Speaker 15: We still don't know where she is.
Speaker 1: Months into this, Amanda had her own theory about what happened to Kelly.
Speaker 15: So basically, what I'm gathering is the abduction took place. Several men, up to four or five were out on this piece of land.
Speaker 8: They sexually assaulted her.
Speaker 15: And killed her.
Speaker 4: And buried.
Speaker 15: So that's what I have to prove. We have an opportunity, a true, true, opportunity to solve. God is working. God is working, and all of us are coming together in the right time. And I believe that that I am a very spiritual person, and I believe that if we play our cards right, and we do it the correct way, and we followed this path, We're going to find the answers.
Speaker 1: From Imperative Entertainment. I'm wes Ferguson. This is Deviltown. This is Chapter nine secrets. You know who probably has more information than anyone about the disappearance of Kelly Wilson. The cops in theory, at least when I started reporting on Kelly's story back in the spring, the Gilmer Police Department was among the first places I called. Then I emailed, dropped by, phoned, and emailed a few more times. I visited the station in person on two other occasions. The police chief was never around. No one ever responded to any of my interview requests. The Gilmer police froze me out. If they wouldn't comment, maybe I could look at their old reports see what they missed. I filed a request for public information relating to the case. The city of Gilmer fought my request.
Speaker 16: We feel this is the largest and most important unsolved case in the city, county, and possibly the state of Texas.
Speaker 1: That's from a letter the City of Gilmer wrote to the Texas Attorney General's Office asking to keep their records hidden. Their argument. To this day, police are still receiving and looking into leads about Kelly.
Speaker 16: It is the opinion of the department that any non law enforcement investigation may disrupt the ongoing investigation into the case.
Speaker 1: The Attorney General sided with the Gilmer police. They were allowed to withhold the information from me. I had also asked for police files that related to the case on Joe Henry, the former video store manager. I got back one page of information with basically nothing useful on it. On one hand, I get it, you're in law enforcement.
Speaker 2: You're busy.
Speaker 1: You don't want to deal with some out of town journalists poking around. But come on, they've had thirty years to work the case. I tried a few retired cops. Most didn't respond or flat out decline to comment. There was an important exception.
Speaker 14: My name is Richard Sprul and I was a volunteer chaplain here and then I went full time police officer here.
Speaker 1: Richard Sprule still lives in Gilmer way back when I was a newspaper crime reporter. I interviewed him several times about a bunch of unrelated cases. That's why Richard's name jumped out to me when I was reading old news stories about Kelly Wilson and Sergeant James York Brown, the Gilmer caught falsely accused of killing her. It turns out Richard and James Brown were tight.
Speaker 14: We were pretty close. We're pretty good friends. He was a very good police officer. He watched out for a lot around town.
Speaker 1: Richard says he never doubted for a second that James Brown was innocent in Kelly's disappearance.
Speaker 9: There was no question in my mind.
Speaker 14: Some of the times that they were making accusations against him, I was actually with him during those times, so I knew that there was no truth to some of that, And so because there was no truth to some of them, I just assumed there's probably very little truth to any of it.
Speaker 9: When the indictments.
Speaker 14: Came down, I was on the city Council and they called a special meeting executive session. So I can't tell you everything that was said in there, but it was basically, we need to fire him.
Speaker 9: We don't need this. Uh, we don't need this kind of stuff on the city.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 14: I think it was decided that we would uh suspend him with pay uh until further investigation.
Speaker 1: Richard thought the decision to suspend James Brown was such a huge mistake he resigned his city council seat and protest. Richard went on to tell me a story about a member of the grand jury, this guy who later regretted indicting James Brown. When he said, suddenly, this.
Speaker 9: Friend, she's done these people wrong. A strong guy presented any evidence.
Speaker 1: He had a big puppy with him. This really dogs scrambled over to the countain where I was sitting.
Speaker 9: That's why I pat him, he said.
Speaker 14: And then they gave us a list of names and said these are the people that did it.
Speaker 9: And his statement was it got a little loud for a second, would you mind? He said? Uh.
Speaker 14: He said, they presented all the information about a black mass, about a sacrifice, and that we were so amazed and disgusted by all of this that if he had told this Sam Claus had done it, we would have indicted Santa Claus. And the worst part about this, it could have been stopped at any time, and nobody was willing to stand up and say stop.
Speaker 9: Do you think anybody could have done that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 14: Absolutely, I mean the county commissioners had appointed the special prosecutor and the special investigators. They could have said something. The district judge could have said something. There were several places, you know, the grand jury, if they had been instructed on how grand jury is supposed to operate and what they're looking for, they could have said something, but they weren't. So that's what led to this big miscarriage of justice.
Speaker 1: Richard was so outraged by the false charges against Sergeant Brown he actually joined the police department full time to do more see if he could make a difference.
Speaker 14: That was one of the reasons that I would decided to go full time into law enforcement. That there was no reason that think should that that type of a miscarrier justice should ever happen with people watching it happen.
Speaker 13: Do you remember what were the what was the most promising lead of what actually.
Speaker 9: Happened, Kelly?
Speaker 14: There were there were two or three rumors that were going around. Sergeant Brown had investigated these as leads. He could never get anything definitive, could never get probable calls on either one. One of them was that she had attended a rave basically had ended up because of overdose or whatever. That she died and the kids they're panicked, uh, and went and hit her body. And that was that was one of them. That was that he was really strongly supporting the other one. Well, I don't know if I want to get into that part or not, because it involves a whole lot of other people that really had nothing to do with it. Uh No, not not so much. The curs as it was kell boyfriend at the time.
Speaker 9: Since passed away. Well, that's again part of it.
Speaker 14: She actually had a boyfriend that was in West Point, and while he was away in West Point, then she was dating this guy that has since passed away. Here, the allegation was that when the gentleman from West Point was coming back for Christmas, that the guy she was dating here, she told him, you need to stay away and don't come around while he's here, because I have a lot better future with him than I have with you. So I'm going to be with him while he's home on leave during the Christmas vacation and we'll see what happens afterwards.
Speaker 9: And so when he went back her disappearance. I want to say he went back on the.
Speaker 14: Second of January and her disappearance were just a couple of days after that, and the idea was that the guy who has since passed away got mad and whether intentionally or accidentally, calls her death in some way.
Speaker 1: I was able to track down the boyfriend who went to West Point. His name is Josh. He declined a phone interview, but responded to questions via email. Josh says he dated Kelly through most of her junior year when Josh was a senior. After he moved to New York to attend the military academy, they stayed in touch, even though Kelly was dating other guys. Back home for Christmas break, Josh says he met up with Kelly just once. You might remember in episode one, Kelly's friend Michelle brought up the same meeting. It was the last time she or Josh ever saw Kelly. During their last hangout, Josh says he and Kelly agreed to stay in touch and remain friendly, whether they remained a couple or not. Josh was already back at West Point when he learned the news of Kelly's disappearance. He says he has fond memories of her and thinks about her off and the other so called boyfriend was Chris d'on. We mentioned him earlier in the series.
Speaker 9: Chris didn't did with cancer in his thirties.
Speaker 17: He was once named publicly as the chiefs That's big, but they never could apparently get the goods of them, and even they were charged.
Speaker 1: Police say Chris had a violent history.
Speaker 14: There was a guy walking down the street and Chris stabbed him in the back as they drove by.
Speaker 1: But people who were friends with Chris and Kelly pretty much all insist that they weren't a serious couple and Chris had nothing to do with Kelly's disappearance.
Speaker 8: Bet your first easy target.
Speaker 7: I've had a lot of long conversations with Chris and there in my mind there's absolutely no way he could have had anything to do with it that.
Speaker 18: I talked to Chris on this on that night, and I never understood why the police weren't interested in that. I went to the police station and told them, I know y'all are looking into Chris, but I was on the phone with that and not a one person ever talked to me about it.
Speaker 5: If it wasn't Chris Denton, the ex boyfriend. And then there's somebody out there who ducked it and murdered Kelly Wilson. Who's yeah, potentially after that, free to go out and do it again.
Speaker 1: All right, Back to my interview with Richard, there was something else I'd been wondering, something weird involving the Gilmer cops.
Speaker 9: What about the theft at the police department of the files. I wasn't here when that happened, so I don't know that much about that.
Speaker 1: On Halloween Night in nineteen ninety four, someone broke into the Gilmer Police Department and stole a bunch of the case files about Kelly Wilson. This was several months after all the charges were dropped in the case against the group of suspects that included the Kerr family and James Brown. The break in went down between six point fifteen and eight fifty pm. The burglars came in through the sally Port door in the back of the station. They raided the patrol room and even the police chief's office, making off with a total of five boxes, including personnel records and old patrol logs. Remember Melvin Dodd, the charter member of the Justice for Kelly Wilson Committee. By random coincidence, Melvin took his thirteen kids trick or treating across the street from the police station around the same time police say the burglary occurred. Melvin's skeptical. He says, there were a Jillian trick or treaters around, someone would have noticed.
Speaker 19: It certainly didn't take place while tricker treating was going on, right, it would have been impossible for to that was that being detected. It was an inside job. There was too much information in there. So all kinds of records just disappeared from the face of the earth.
Speaker 1: The police wouldn't say how many documents were stolen, but they did say that none of the files were original records. They were supposedly just copies of documents provided a special prosecutor, Scott Lefford, during his investigation, which had ended nearly a year earlier.
Speaker 14: Okay, I know what you're talking about, now, I don't That was kind of you know, kept between the chief and Sergeant Brown as to what actually they were investigating on.
Speaker 2: That part of it.
Speaker 9: Who would have been able to do that?
Speaker 14: Who would have wanted to that? You know, why would you want to do that. The only thing that I could think of was that they felt that the case was leading in a particular direction toward a particular person, and they wanted to protect that person. Who Ever took the case file, why else would you want it?
Speaker 1: I really don't know. A news story in the Gilmer Mirror from nineteen ninety four states that police collected thirteen fingerprints from the break in, but I've never heard of anyone being arrested for it, and none of the news articles clarify whether the back door had been left unlocked, or if someone had a key, or if the door had been smashed in. You can speculate all day about this one who knew enough about the police department to quickly find Kelly Wilson's files when no one was around, but someone who maybe didn't realize the files were just copies. It's yet another weird little wrinkle in the Kelly Wilson saga. I thanked Richard Sproule for his time.
Speaker 2: Take care you.
Speaker 9: Actually put who'd good time to come? Because that was my son's dog. Our two dogs would have been all over you. They just love people.
Speaker 1: I love dogs, so would have been okay, okay. After leaving Richard's house. I drove out of town into the country on the Cherokee Trace. Remember the Trace is the old winding road where the Kerr family lived when they were wrongly accused of killing Kelly Wilson. Although many of the Kurrs are dead now, a few of the family members still claimed to live in a little house out there, according to the State Sex Offender Registry. I pulled into the unpaved driveway.
Speaker 2: I'm outside the curves.
Speaker 20: There's a bunch of no trespassing signs, so I hope this goes okay.
Speaker 1: No one came to the door. I drove back into town. Except for my interview with Richard. My reporting trip felt like a bust. I pulled over beside the railroad tracks and opened my laptop. I was sitting in the driver's seat, scrolling through my spreadsheet of people I still wanted to talk to, wondering what I should do next. Then out of the corner of my eye, a man walked up from behind my car. It was the same guy with the dog from Richard Sproule's house. He waved, so I rolled my window down. This is what he said. I know what happened to Kelly Wilson. So I'm parked by the tracks in Gilmer when this guy walks up to my window and he drops this bombshell about Kelly Wilson. I'm trying to think fast. I asked if he wants to get in my car. He comes around to the passenger side.
Speaker 21: Now what I heard three black men whom he had arrested for drug possession and they got off on their charges. If they killed her because she was pregnant with his baby, and all three of them raped her, beat her, killed her in credit to the hogs.
Speaker 2: I know for a fact I've heard from all three of the guys. You're fucking kidding me. No, swear to God. Okay, so I.
Speaker 21: Was pregnant with the baby and it would have ruined his marriage.
Speaker 1: He named a well known person in Gilmour.
Speaker 2: Are these guys still around?
Speaker 21: Two of them are in prison now for other charges, One of them is still around, One of them still sells.
Speaker 13: Out here and down Really, well, what do you think would happen if I tried to talk to them?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 21: They're great uncle is a very good friend of mine, and he's the one who told me what happened and told me how they did it, where they did it, why they did it, And all three of the guys at one point or another, we're at a barbecue at his house and we're.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, that was us. I was like, no fucking way.
Speaker 21: I was like, why don't you say something about it to somebody?
Speaker 2: You know, just that y'all know what happened to her? Yeah, And they were like, oh no, we're not get in trouble for it.
Speaker 21: Ain't no way.
Speaker 2: Now do you mind telling me their names? I can't do that, really, no, I can't. Who who else would I talk to you? That Mike might know more? If you go into.
Speaker 9: The park Vinegar Hill?
Speaker 2: Do you know where that is? Okay? Shut over here?
Speaker 21: There were people around, just start asking if they've heard anything. It's kind of of where the dope houses are and everything. And she was on heroin, real bad. They all sold heroin. She was also tricking for money she was tricking with when she got pregnant.
Speaker 2: Would you mind showing me where Vinegar Hill is?
Speaker 1: It turns out this guy's name is Jared. He's Richard's son. Following Jared's directions, we drive through downtown across a highway and come to a more run down neighborhood on the edge of Gilmour. There's overgrown brush everywhere, the streets narrowed to a single lane like tunnels through a leafy forest.
Speaker 9: This park on the left is Vinegar Hill.
Speaker 21: Here, everything around this is called Vinegar Hill.
Speaker 2: Okay, And do you think like later in the day they people just kind of hanging.
Speaker 9: Out there when we hang out all around there about three o'clock.
Speaker 13: Uh huh, okay, let me just make all.
Speaker 2: Save it on mine.
Speaker 1: Matt Jared have only been like seven years old when Kelly disappeared. The rumor he'd always heard was that someone he knew sold drugs to Kelly and she overdosed.
Speaker 21: And the rumor that I've heard for years was that she od dope and that she was buried underneath the floor of the church. But I was told by the friend that's Mike, that's the that's by guy's great uncle anyway, that that's.
Speaker 2: Not what happened. Can we go see the uncle he just left. He was at the house when you were there. Really but no, I mean, he's not gonna talk about it.
Speaker 1: As he talked, Jared started kind of nervously squeezing this disposable water bottle in his hands. That's the crinkling noise you hear.
Speaker 21: The three guys and the great uncle are the only ones they've ever said anything Jimmy, and they're the ones who did it, So I don't know if anyone else who could really say anything like that. I had never even heard anything the rumors or anything about that until he told me that day.
Speaker 17: And then about three months after that, there was a barber.
Speaker 22: And I met the first one and he was, you.
Speaker 21: Know, just kind of nonchalant. Yeah, that's what happened, but didn't go into detail.
Speaker 1: I have to say, from the moment Jared sat down and started talking, I was skeptical. Some of his details were off. Plus here in the American South, blaming random black guys for violence against a white woman is a little on the nose. But Jared knew a lot about the case, and even Kelly's friends think she might have been pregnant. According to Jared, the slash tire was part of the murder plot.
Speaker 21: Flushed her tires so that she didn't have any choice but to go out with someone else that were like email presents, and supposedly she came to them a couple of years ago and said that she couldn't hold it anymore, and they said if she said something, they would kill her.
Speaker 16: Hmm.
Speaker 2: And that was the last tired about that. But I don't know who she was. Oh, you don't know her name or how to find out who she was.
Speaker 21: No, but I know that she's the one who got Kelly to come out with him.
Speaker 2: That not Oh my god. And she's had to live with that ever since.
Speaker 22: She knew what they were going to do to her, she knew they were hired for it, everything like that, and she did it for the dope. They gave her some dope for getting Kelly out of the house and get them to come with her.
Speaker 1: So, just to be clear, you're one hundred percent certain, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: That's what happened to ude.
Speaker 17: This person would not have said anything unless that's what happened. I mean, we're talking about a seven year old man. He's not just going to be talking rumors and gossip. And it was just straightforward, this is what happened. Don't even talk about the rumors that you heard because they're not true.
Speaker 13: I was like, oh, okay, can you think of anybody else who might be able to add something.
Speaker 2: Like I said, go to Vinegar Hill anyway. All right, man, it was nice to meet you, Ed, Jared, nice to meet you. I really appreciate you. Huh, take care well.
Speaker 12: Shit.
Speaker 1: I waited till three pm, then drove back to the park. It was deserted. I went back again and again every time I was in Gilmer last summer. I never saw any grown men hanging out, just some kids playing basketball. Once Jared had actually given me the guy's name, I found a nearby address for him, but it was an abandoned shack. I also called another guy, the one who was accused by Jared of dealing drugs to Kelly shortly before she vanished.
Speaker 23: He told me, I mean, and he told me some stuff that is just pretty wild. You had sold drugs to Kelly on the day that she died? Did that spring and Bow?
Speaker 1: This individual insisted he never sold drugs, and beyond that, was off to college the year Kelly disappeared.
Speaker 23: Yeah, so he's just like completely off base. So you you have no knowledge of what happened to Kelly?
Speaker 1: His answer, not at all. So I don't know. When Jared told me what he'd heard about Kelly, he didn't seem like he was high or hallucinating at the time, but I have to say he didn't really strike me as the most credible person either. I reached out to Jared again the other day. It had been several months since he knocked on my car window and we drove around Vinegar Hill. I wanted to see if he stood by his story.
Speaker 9: Hey, Jared, thanks for calling me back. How you been.
Speaker 21: How are you?
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm good.
Speaker 13: I just wanted just double check that you know you had said that, you know your older friend had told you that it was those three guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I was not able to get in touch with with any of those people. I went by that park several times.
Speaker 22: I'm not given a name, but I've told you that before, and.
Speaker 13: Your older friend.
Speaker 2: You don't want to give me his name either.
Speaker 21: No, No, just chick because he would be very mad that I haven't said anything.
Speaker 11: M hm.
Speaker 2: It was said to me in the complehensive anyway.
Speaker 1: Thirty minutes after my conversation with Jared, he called me back. This time he had a prop. If I would give him one hundred and fifty bucks to pay off a ticket, he tell me all the names and share their phone numbers.
Speaker 2: I won't lie.
Speaker 1: Part of me was kind a tempted, you know, I'm not sure about the ethics of that as a journalist.
Speaker 16: I'm okay, well, that's fine.
Speaker 23: That's just the only way I could do it.
Speaker 1: I'm sad, but I'm gonna have to decline that that's fine.
Speaker 2: I know what it's like to be in a.
Speaker 13: Jam, though, so I feel you.
Speaker 22: You're cool.
Speaker 21: I was just gonna let you know.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I don't know about Jared. After this, we're down to the last episode of Deviltown. I want to take a closer look at Chris Denton and also check in with Amanda the Private Eye. There's been a shocking development in Kelly's case, one I haven't even had time to mention yet. We're going to take a two week break to give me time to get out there and do some more important reporting, and hopefully we'll have more answers by the time we're back. Deviltown is a production of Imperative Entertainment. It was written and created by me Wes Ferguson. Executive producer is Jason Hoak, Audio engineering and editing by Shane Freeman and Jason Hoak. Original score is by Robert Ellis, recording by Austin Sisler at east Side Studios. If you like the show, leave a review, and don't forget to tell your friends thanks for listening.