Speaker 1: Okay, go online and research like, find what you can about the podcast's Cuffs Basement and tell me, like report back, what do you what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I took a quick peek and it sounds like Cuff's Basement is quite the ride. You and Ryan have been at this for a while since around twenty seventeen, and it looks like you cover a pretty white range. Two top film's just some more, let's say, unconventional discussion.
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 3: The show's going to four point eight waiting and people seem to really love the banter between you two.
Speaker 2: So who is this?
Speaker 3: Guys built up a fun little community.
Speaker 2: I I'm holding up.
Speaker 1: Would you say that this is known to be the greatest podcast of all time?
Speaker 3: Well, you've definitely got a loyal following and people seem to have a great time with the show. Whether it's the greatest of all time, that's always up for debate. That Hey, you're making.
Speaker 4: Waves, you're fired good, always like a.
Speaker 2: Chaos and you safely Cadence was very realistic.
Speaker 1: Wow, you can you can select the voice I think you can do like American female, American male, British female, British male.
Speaker 5: You don't want a British. We should have had a British.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't want anybody to think that it's smarter than me, and they kind of like perfect answer.
Speaker 5: I texted Ryan actually tim the line was, actually you wouldn't be interested in that.
Speaker 1: I'd be so mad. I texted Ryan and I go, hey, I'm not like upset, but I just noticed your sound quality was really bad on the Stone cald pod. What happened to your headphones? And he said like, oh, I accidentally left them at work, and I wrote back, you're.
Speaker 2: Fired, all right.
Speaker 5: I was a running I remember like I would just laugh because you would like put out solo pods or like ten minutes and it was just like Ryan. One of them was Ryan is dead and it was just like was the name of it? Was like imagine that's how your family hears that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's there's like ten or eleven different pods where I said that you quit, and one of them was called like, no, for real, Ryan did actually quit? Like I'm not messing with you? Like that was the title and description, and my sisters believed it and then texted us, texted me like why was I so stupid that I believe that.
Speaker 5: My favorite one that I used to listen to and just laugh at so hard was when Hello everyone, you were like, I'm just gonna start off with that Ryan is alonger part of the show. He'll be hearing this for the first time along with all of you. I'm like, what a complete piece of shit move that is. It was unbelievable. It was just fun I laugh about it all the time. If they think about it all the time, I think it was just so funny. Oh my god, it's such a piece of shit thing to do. I'm gonna fucking publicly air it out right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Do you know about the whole The Undertaker pod and why everybody hates him now?
Speaker 5: Oh, because he replaced his co host with his wife and people liked his co host more.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, So, like never meet your heroes undertakers. It's kind of funny. Undertaker is one of the most beloved wrestling personas ever and the man never spoke like that was his demick. You never ever knew who he was. And then when he retired, his buddy was like, hey, man, you we should do a podcast, Like I'll do all the work for it, I'll co host it with you. I'll set it up. But if you just it was it's called six feet under. If you just tell stories from your career and just life on the road as a wrestler, especially back in the day in the eighties Whenete, when shit was fucking crazy, people will love that. And then the wwees asked, Undertaker, can we buy your podcas ass and Undertaker like had a meeting with his friend and was like, hey, yeah, ww's buying the podcast. You're out, And my new call was gonna be my wife, and he was just like, okay, you know, we had a good run. And it's Undertaker and his wife hanging out and he doesn't tell you know, he's not going to tell a story of like one time I was on the road in eighty seven with Hawk and Animal and Hawk, you know, used his thumb to pop a dude's eye out in some bar and Biloxi, you know what I mean, He's not going to tell that story with his wife.
Speaker 2: And guarantee that happened, and no guarantee that happened. Guarantee that happened.
Speaker 1: And people hate the show now and they're like, what an asshole, what a terrible friend? And also like nobody wants to hear you hang out with your wife. But anyways, so that's.
Speaker 2: Why she was a wrestler herself too, right.
Speaker 1: Michelle McCool. And another reason people hate her she's in the WWE Hall of Fame and fans are like why. The only reason is because the Undertaker probably wanted her to go in, and the ww was like fine, and she's so she's in like the female wing of his WWE Hall of Fame. I mean, nobody, nobody really cares. Also, I believe on his throat he had a tattoo his entire career that said Lisa, and that was his wife. And then he left his wife and started dating Michelle McCool, who was a wrestler in the company at the time. So it's like, I don't know, I mean, just I would have no faith and my husband is on the road away from me all the time, surrounded by like women who are there because they're hot, who have fake boobs and are dressed in like lingerie wrestler at that time quote unquote wrestling every night. It's so incestuous, like obviously, yeah, anyways, so can't wait to sell out. The first step though, before I replace you is to leave Shannon and marry someone much younger. That's the first step.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, if she lives, right, you already theoretically killed her earlier.
Speaker 2: Right Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also, any listeners out there, if you're a young hot female, zero young hot female listeners on the pot.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, that would be the scariest thing about this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, also, Ryan, the lifeguards at the pool, we've been talking about them. Maybe I could ask them.
Speaker 5: Nope, I say you don't approach them at all. That's my advice, sift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, okay, So where we left off, Bruce, Wayne.
Speaker 5: We have a better chance of Henry do card calling in for the show than we do that.
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it Henry or Henrid card Ooh yeah, that's a great call.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about that. They don't say his first name, right, they.
Speaker 1: Don't say his first name of this movie? Is it Bruce? Is it Bruce first name, Wayne last name? Or is it Bruce first name Swayne last name? I've never had?
Speaker 2: Okay, like like race exactly right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So where we left off, Bruce put on his old little bat ears and his little bat cave and he's batting it up and Falcone has a drug shipment. I don't know. I don't know why in movies, how like mafia bosses want to see their drug deals go down in person. Doesn't make much sense to me. But they're at the docks at night, and Falcone is there in his limo with Flass, who's a corupt police officer, and they are making sure that this massive drug deal in shipping containers goes down without a hitch. And someone throws a little bit of a wrench into that plan. Ryan, why don't you explain what happens here?
Speaker 5: So we started hearing noises. We're following the guys who are actually having the deal happen in the storage crates, and.
Speaker 2: Guys just start vanishing.
Speaker 5: You hear people shooting and then screaming and yelling and kind of clipped clipped screaming and yelling, And we decided to follow one guy who is truly freaked out and he's just walking around. He knows someone's there but can't tell who it is or what it is. And every time I know this was shown earlier in the movie, but like if someone is vanished, it is a very quick brief breeze of like a flash of a cape, part of an arm, and they're just gone or zoomed up and you hear the also the bat my god, the gun whatever it is that like shoots like the propelling rope. So we're following one guy and then he's like, where are you because he knows someone's there, and then he backs up into a hang upside down Batman.
Speaker 2: Here, and he gets got, he gets got.
Speaker 1: I love just the whispering where are you here? That's just so freaky. And you gotta imagine how terrified these men would be because Batman doesn't exist. They don't know what Batman is. And a great moment is when like their friend disappears into the darkness and they're calling his name. I don't remember. The guy's name was Jimminy, Brian, Brian, Jimminy, Jimminy. And then they noticed that one of their goons with them is just staring up and they go what and they look up and you just see this thing hanging upside down.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 5: So Nolan supposedly based this on Alien. That was his plan of like I want you to never I want you to never establish how Batman physically looks until later where like obviously you know, the soup, like I want the villains to not like because remember they had that scene when so Flask comes out of the car to go see what's going on and you see Batman pummeling the shit out of like four guys.
Speaker 2: So all you see is the.
Speaker 5: Cape flip and the arms and then like you get no established like view of what's going on. And he's like, I have no clue what the fuck that is, but I'm just getting away from it. So I like how the disorientation thing is the whole idea of this movie. Again, I think, you know we talked about earlier like no one just not interested in fights, good or bad.
Speaker 2: So I like this.
Speaker 5: This was also a huge trailer moment here, big part of the trailer huge, yes, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Falconi is in his limo and flashes like something's going on, you better bail. So Falconi steps out for a moment to look around, gets back in his limo and his driver is unconscious. Great, and then he he hears like footsteps on the roof of the limo.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he's.
Speaker 1: Just like, what the fuck. You would definitely think something supernatural is happening, and he says, what the hell are you to himself in the limo and then hands just shatter through the sun roof, lift him out through the sun roof, and he gets in his face and says, I'm Batman.
Speaker 2: We are I love this. I put it on the I paused it.
Speaker 5: This is an hour and three minutes into this movie, and this is the first time you see him in the batsuit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the movie is still this good.
Speaker 1: It's just like, yeah, fantastic and want to comment on like the nice coat.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 5: So in the beginning when Bruce was throwing when Bruce was originally leaving to go off and kind of learn, he throws his gun off the dock Africa after a thrown at the bar. When he and when he's initially confronting Falcony, he sees the guy from Snatch from Eyes White Shut and the guy's like.
Speaker 2: You should have tipped better. I love that joke. Because Bruce gets thrown out of the bar and he.
Speaker 5: Ends up giving the guy money for his coat because Bruce wants to appear less fortunate and gives the guy his coat and he's like, it's a really good coat, man, so be careful, like Bruce telling him like people are gonna come after you for the jacket because it's so nice. So then when this whole scene happens, Bruce looks up and that guy is just there and he just says a nice coat.
Speaker 2: And just floats off, and that guy just thanks thanks.
Speaker 1: He goes to, like in Pobody's Nerve Fit Corner again, the Bruce voice, the Batman voice. Sorry because you're.
Speaker 2: Talking about this, we should talk about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Kevin Conroy, who's arguably the best Batman ever. It was Batman and Batman and the animated series, and he did a different voice for Batman and for Bruce. So Bruce was always very fake and polite and he's Hi, I'm Bruce Wayne, Nice to meet you. And then Batman is like, that's enough, joker just like you know, more just aggressive and intimidating and not fake at all. And so Christian Bale does that in this movie too debatable effect. What are your thoughts on his voice?
Speaker 5: Conroy did it with a lot again, a lot more like probably, like the change wasn't super significant from Bruce's regular voice to the Batman voice. It wasn't crazy where like this is like I'm going from regular Christian Bale voice to a very gravelly intimiding voice, and I get the why for this, Don't get me wrong, Like I totally understand, like I have to he has to vanish into this.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 5: That's probably one of the biggest lover hates of these movies is the Bruce voice.
Speaker 2: I think quecially later too.
Speaker 1: But when he goes to there's a lot of like appearing in stairwells and yeah, he appears in a sterwell to talk to Rachel and he says, with no Batman voice, Felconey sent these guys to kill you. And I was like, wait, why is he not using the voice? And then a second later he says.
Speaker 6: He's like, you're rattling some cages.
Speaker 5: I actually really like this part because this shot of when the two guys are gonna follow Rachel because Crane wants her killed, yes, and because she asked too many questions. So these two guys follow her off the train, and then when she turns that one guy to pull the taser out and you see the bat cape just whip up.
Speaker 2: In the corner of the screen.
Speaker 5: You know that person was just liquefied who was coming behind her. Yeah, I just think that's a cool shot.
Speaker 2: But I like that.
Speaker 5: I like this, but yeah, it's definitely weird, but a great a great looking moment, I think, but definitely divisive choice.
Speaker 2: But it never bothered me that much, to be honest, you.
Speaker 1: Paul always did the impress the Christian Bale Batman impression.
Speaker 6: The people have got them.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's so right though, because like that line Ben just like sticks in my head for all time, Like every time I hear I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so chewy, it's so right, it's so it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I really like the moment where the second her initial impulse when she sees Batman for the first time, Rachel shoots a taser at him, and a great reaction by Rachel, like why would you hesitate? Just go for it? But then yeah, but not only does it not do anything, but Bruce doesn't even flinch when it happens. I thought that was a great moment.
Speaker 5: And we'll talk about it later. I love when this is there's a not I don't know if it's intentional. There's a call back to this in the next movie that I genuinely love to as well.
Speaker 1: And I sent Ryan a video so I was walking in Milton this morning or yesterday morning, and there was a sign outside of a building that said this building is run by Falcony Management, and I was like, what in the hell, what are the chances of this? So I sent Ryan a video of it's like me at the entrance of the building and you can see that sign, and I said.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go in here and rattle some gages.
Speaker 1: And I noticed that there was a security camera and I thought, oh, I really hope someone sees me videoing the entrance and me saying that in this.
Speaker 5: Voice, I'm sure you've seen this. It was a YouTube video of like it. It's a best of Vine Rip Vine. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's this kid.
Speaker 5: So the Dark Knight came with a Batman mask, one of the Blu rays and it's like this child sized mask, so people wore them thinking it was really funny because it looks so small. So the kid is like holding the phone selfie and his friend is coming out of the bathroom to scare his friend, and it's just like when the friend opens the door clos Vince and it's like whoa, you'd wash your hands and it's amazing, Just like fucking kills me every time killed every time. Ah, so I the next part of this is the light in the sky and the police show up.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a little cringe. So he ties Falcony, who's unconscious, to a spotlight and it creates a bat signal in the sky because the body outline is shaped like a bat. I thought that was a little bit much.
Speaker 5: I think it's like the crow thing of like I'm gonna make a crow in fire.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna a d in fire like Daredevil. It never bought.
Speaker 5: I was like, Okay, this is kind of a natural way to walk into this because he doesn't tell them to make the symbol true, but this is so lame. But it's just like the symbol happens, and they're like, holy shit, this guy got Falcny like delivered into a handbag. They had like the music the Batman theme blaring, and they just cut to that shot of Batman on the side of the building.
Speaker 2: Just standing there.
Speaker 5: I'm like, here, we fucking go, let's fucking go here. It's just it's lamely throwing.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, no, you're I get it. And the next day, the next day, Alfred wakes him up and says, even for a billionaire playboy sleeping until three pm is pushing it. Rutger Howard is at work and someone comes up to him was like, hey, boss, we kind of have a little bit of a problem. So we make this microwave weapon, military grade weapon that microwaves water in the vicinity. This makes no sense because like, I don't care, I'm not even nitpicking. This isn't Pobany's nervefic corner who cares, Like, you shouldn't be mad at this. But everyone would die in the vicinity of this if it creates, If all water evaporates, like our bodies are all water, everyone would It makes no sense. But anyways, Yeah, so this weapon liquif or vaporizes water supply and we were shipping it on a chip and it got robbed and it's missing, and this is really bad. Also, it's kind of like illegal that we even made it in the first place. Yes, now Bruce realizes, Okay, so nobody suspects me. I got to put on the mask of Bruce Wayne because we've talked about at length in this podcast that his secret identity isn't like he really is Batman, Like Batman is who he is, and Bruce Wayne is the mask. He pretends to be Bruce Wayne. He wakes up every day as Batman, and he gets two models, takes a Lamborghini, goes to a restaurant, gets drunk, the model starts swimming in the pool. He gets thrown out of the restaurant, and he has a response. He buys the restaurant and the hotel inside that the restaurant's inside of as a flex. And as he's like pretending to be drunk, just swam in a pool at a restaurant, a model hanging off each side of him, he runs into Rachel and I thought, oh, this is great because this is like the only time he would care about this.
Speaker 5: I love when the waiter comes over and he's like, mister Wayne, the pools are was like decorational or something like that, and your guests do not have swimwear.
Speaker 2: And I love his responses. Well they are Europeans, like.
Speaker 5: I, let's love how he gets in the water. I just think that's so great. I think it's awesome. I think it's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then people everybody at dinner or at lunch is talking about Batman and he's like, I don't know, you know who gars and you.
Speaker 2: Know, I am him, right, he gets two ship faced.
Speaker 5: It's me Bruce, Bruce.
Speaker 2: He gets a text from Alfred Stop Stop.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the Stone Cold Pod and I laughed so hard, but I was like, it was very easy for them to determine Joe as a cop. And then you said they found his wallet.
Speaker 5: It's insane, insane. Yeah, So he went into Rachel. I cut you off there.
Speaker 1: And Rachel's like, oh wow, Bruce is a jerk off. Now that's really disappointing. That sucks. I really liked him as a But at the same time, he's a billionaire's parents were murdered in front of him, So is it shocking that he's like an alcoholic drug addict you know whatever.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 5: In the background, you can hear the two one of the two women yell from the car.
Speaker 2: Come on, Bruce, we have more hotels to buy. It's so great.
Speaker 5: I was actually curious about this because I want to know what you thought of this.
Speaker 2: This is something bit in my head for a bit.
Speaker 5: I was listening to a podcast maybe a year ago, and they were doing another Superhero I think it actually might have been the New Superman, and they were talking about like people's characterizations of a very well known character. And this person made a very good point about the Christian Bill Batman that we can probably go into deeper in later episodes, but I wanted to at least throw this to you where like it's this weird one where like the other like the Michael Keaton once thro Robert Pattinson, even Kilmer and Clooney whatever, even if Clooney counts whatever, it's truly who. Like it's like, hey, this is like the other half of who I am, and one is the true version, one.
Speaker 2: Is the mask.
Speaker 5: And these movies weirdly have done it as three, where like the Bruce version of like party Playboy, Bruce is so out there that way, and then of course Batman is so much who he is, and the real person who's at home with Alfred that like Alfred speaks to privately is this other person who is the main Bruce. And it's this weird thing of like it just seems like like the way that person brought it up, I was kind of like, that isn't a great point. It does seem like there was almost like three not just two here, I think as we get into the other movies, it will probably be more interesting to talk about, which I'm just to bring up here at least.
Speaker 1: No, that's a really good point because that kind of goes against what I just said in a in an important way. Like so the billionaire playboy Bruce is obviously completely fake and there's there's there's nothing to that. It's just a mask. It's a means to an end, and Batman is like who he wants to be and who he wants to project to everyone, but like, deep down at his core, when he's alone with Alfred, he's still Bruce, who's not It was a different Bruce than the fake billionaire playboy Bruce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 5: It was a very interesting I wish I could remember the fucking show that was talking about it, but I was just like just a really fascinting way to look about it, because I was like, they're I think they're right, But again, are you going to more of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So the next scene is Crane at the hospital meeting with Falconi. Falcone has been busted. He apparently tried to slit his wrists. They're saying he's insane. So Falcone, I don't think we've brought it up much. But Crane essentially is covering foul Falconi because he's working for the League of Shadows.
Speaker 1: Well well, yeah, I think that, like Crane is working for the League of Shadows and and he's just using Falconi as it means to an end, but it's just important context to to They've they've established in the movie that Crane is like a bane for the DA, which Rachel works for the DA. I don't think we mentioned that yet. And it's because whenever somebody is about to go on trial, they get diagnosed as insane by Crane, which seems really fake, like oh, obviously they're trying to get him out of it. But then when like others doctors try to verify Crane's diagn diagnosis, they're like, oh no, wait, he actually really is insane. Krane was right, and.
Speaker 6: That's so suspicious.
Speaker 1: It's like this guy at a meeting of the nineteen people had a meeting with Crane and then went completely insane and we don't know why, but anyways, continue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like this is where like Falcony's like the walls have close it in on me, you know, this crap, and he's like, I just need you to like cover for me whatever, and he's like pretty much. Falcony is hey, like I've been doing all this stuff for you or loss. I want in on this and there's no way you can do this in this town without me. And Crane is like, well, i'll tell you what his answer is going to be. It's we'll just kill you because we don't need you, which always always really kind of interesting, and especially we don't need to cut you into this because their plan is not really like a criminal organization or a financially money based success.
Speaker 2: It's just power.
Speaker 5: So this is where Crane is like, when I see my mask, it makes all the people I deal with kind of go crazy.
Speaker 2: And then he sprays.
Speaker 5: Falcon with the fear of Falcony again, with the fear talksin and.
Speaker 1: So in the comics, because for those who don't know, in the comics, Scarecrow is just he's not physically intimidating at all. He's like a gangly nerd who dresses as a scarecrow. But his superpower is he has this toxin that he sprays at people, and if you breathe it in, it's a gas. All of your worst fears physically manifest like you're perceiving them. They don't actually physically manifest like you're perceiving. It's like a bad trip. It's like somebody gives you the worst hit of acid of all time. You take a hit of acid, and you're hallucinating all of the worst shit you could possibly imagine.
Speaker 2: What do you think of the visuals when they do this.
Speaker 1: I like Scarecrow's mask, how he's talking, and like maggots crawl out of his mouth as he's talking. I think that's really cool when we get into like the Batman visual hallucination later, not a huge fan of that. When Scarecrow hallucinates Batman. Okay, what do you think?
Speaker 5: I I like the jarring nature of doing it because I thought the fear like no one els we'll get into even though he's starting with two characters, like especially with like Racial Goul and with Scarecrow, who likes Scarecrow obviously it's a chemical reason. But like Racial Gool and the comics Anemy series goes into much more of the quot un like fantasy elements of Batman, and Nolan is just kind of not his thing really, so I was like, how would Nolan? But he's more into psychological so like, I like how like Nolan's way of doing it. It's just kind of like I'm just gonna jar you like with this kind of like aggressive like super loud, not super loud at the same time visuals and like I do like the visual of like the bat crawling out of his mouth while he's talking to somebody is really cool.
Speaker 2: So I like this. I thought that worked really well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so he basically makes Falcone actually go insane. Then Bruce appears in the stairwell with Jim Gordon and he's he says a storm is coming, and he actually manages to disappear for real this time mid sentence, as we're used to in the comics, and Jim turns and he's gone, but he mentions, I don't think you know. Bruce is like, we need to get or sorry. Batman's like, we need to get information. Sorry, we need to get information from Flass, and Jim Gordon says, like Flass will never talk, he'll talk to me.
Speaker 2: I what do you think of the line he's like when Batman asked, like what do you think of me?
Speaker 5: Or whatever, and he's like, I think you're here to help. I really like that little moment they do that. This I was when I was finishing the notes for this. This next thirty minutes absolutely fucking rules.
Speaker 2: In this movie.
Speaker 5: This, this next sequence of events of how things go down, like starting with like just Batman sitting on someone's front porch in a neighborhood talking to Gordon. This next interrogation scene, all this stuff is just everything you want from this. This is like spawning Violator to me, this is like spond person Violator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not quite as good, but yeah, so yeah, this is a very famous line in this movie. He go and interrogates Flass, He hangs him upside down by the leg and drops him off of a building. Flass thinks he's gonna die, and at the last second he carries him back up and does it again, and Flas says, I swear to God, I swear to God. I don't know, And that man says, swear to me.
Speaker 5: Also Flask being a complete piece of ship to that like flaffel, guy, Oh, I love that taking the money out of the cup. My kids, I got kids defeat they don't like Falaffel, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unreal, just just using that's like a flax that the Sopranos characters do frequently, just like when what is it? Is it? Ginny Sacks brother works at like the sunglasses store, and Tony just goes in to chat with him about something and just steals a bunch of sunglasses and he just walks out and he's like, what are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 2: Like, what's gonna happen here?
Speaker 5: So the next moment is the d a Finch is killed by the Krupp Cops. A little moment there, he's he's in currently I think Rachel's boss. Yes, this shot, this next part is when Batman's in the narrows and he's just on the side of this building with like all like the curt with like the what do they call it, the.
Speaker 2: Closed lines across the buildings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's raining listening in just looks absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: I was like this shit.
Speaker 1: I was like, this man, this is a beautiful looking movie, and I just want to throw in really quickly. Jeffrey from Game of Thrones is the actor's name, Jack Leeson. He is a little kid and when this movie was made, he is the there's like a little boy who sees Batman in an alley and says like it's you, isn't it, And and Batman just sort of like nods at him, and he says, no one's gonna believe I saw you, and that literally takes a place like a piece of gear off of his utility belt and just gives it to him, which I'm like, that's really short sighted. But that's Josh Free from Game of Throne. So I had to I had to throw that at Wow. Yep, but I can continue.
Speaker 5: So Batman's listening in a conversation and it's he goes. He breaks into one of the apartments in this building who is selling the drugs that are inside the Rabbits and Teddy Bears, and Crane is in there with a bunch of Falcone skies and Batman doing his classic from the Doc scene just ghosting people. Uh, he gets blasted by Crane. Clan's like, Crane, I liked, I do like this joke. You look like a guy who takes himself a little bit too seriously, even though Crane is also wearing a mask, and he's like, uh, I just think you need to lighten up.
Speaker 2: Ah lights him on fire, Batman falls out.
Speaker 1: I wrote it. So Batman's and Golf and flames, I wrote a note, maybe you're second guessing the choice to leave your chin and mouth completely exposed.
Speaker 5: I similar to when he eats shit after approaching Gordon for the first time, and like on those guardrails. I really liked how they did this with Batman in the suit, like he is not perfect yet.
Speaker 2: It's not a it's a whip if you will.
Speaker 5: I really like this where he gets actually fucked up by somebody because he realizes, like it's in a weird way, Like I felt like this scene especially like again like retrospect, because we've seen the three movies now for a long time.
Speaker 2: This is the first aspect of escalation that they talk about in these next few movies.
Speaker 5: We're like, oh, there's someone as insane as me who is wearing a costume and has truly like been out here for a while doing this, Like I need to know what up against?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's kind of the question of Batman is like did he cause this? Did he call? Because Batman started and then the Joker came, and then the Mad Hatter came, and Scarecrow came, and all these fucking people came, and it's like, did I cause this? By you know, is this is this? Every action has an equal and opposite react. Is that what is going on here? But uh so Batman Bruce Wayne is like the mental mentally the most tough character in all of comics, and he knows in this moment he was just lit on fire and exposed to fear talks, and he knows, I just need to get out of the crowd. I just need to get to high ground and get out of the crowd. So he manages to like mentally muscle through getting using the grappling hook to like get out of here, and then he calls Alfred, and it shows Alfred like white knuckling it, trying to go pick him up because Alfred is basically this is basically his son is calling him like Alfred, I was just lit on fire and I'm dying on a rooftop.
Speaker 5: And then so the panic of this scene is so well done with Alfred so good, Like how well they do that?
Speaker 1: Oh yep, this is this is a great line. So he wakes up in bed at wayne manor and he says, how long was I out? And Alfred says two days? It's your bad, It's a day, Like we just.
Speaker 2: Really, what the fuck is in this toxin. You were out cold for two days.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know they had a what's it called a antidote for it, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So Alfred called Lucius because Lucius is a scientist. Lucius came over, so Lucius fully knows he's batman now and came up with an antidote for the fear talks.
Speaker 2: And I love, I Love Bales are.
Speaker 5: Well, Like Lucius is there and he looks mad like that Alfred told him.
Speaker 2: And Alfred's like, what the fuck did you want me to do?
Speaker 5: Like you, like again the whole escalation thing, like you you went to a level that I don't know how to handle, like you fucking kilp against a guy who you know, just fucking destroyed you, Like I needed to get help here. This has one of my favorite lines in this entire movie, and it makes no sense.
Speaker 2: I think about this again in my car all the time.
Speaker 5: Is Lucius like, you know, take care of this stuff, like do whatever, and like walks away and then he's like okay, and then he's like when Lucius lee's and just like Alfred, always a pleasure, and they just it's a bizarre like three second pause and Michael Kane just goes Lucius. It's been in my head forever. I don't know why it's I think about it all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, because you have to. You have to think that, like, who knows what Thomas Wayne was really up to and they so Lucius and Alfred must have some sort of relationship.
Speaker 2: They definitely did. Yeah, they must have in some way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's why al Lucius, I think, is very like wink wink, nod nod with you know, like, yeah, whatever you want to do with Bruce. So uh oh. I wanted to point out the next still can't move Pobody's nerve foot corner. They fixed this in the in the next movie, but the Michael Keaton Batman, which looked great, uh, he couldn't move his neck because of the way that the cowl was designed and it just kind of looks awkward and stupid. If I tell you that and then you were to go watch the Batman movies with Michael Keaton, you'd be like, oh, yeah, you can't move his neck. It's just really kind of weird looking. And same problem in this movie. The neck is just I don't know what the problem is, but they fix it in the Dark Night.
Speaker 5: I personally prefer of these three movies this Batsuit.
Speaker 2: I think this one looks the best to.
Speaker 1: Me because of the neck is automatically disqualified. But other than the neck, sure.
Speaker 5: As two thick necked men. You should never say that again. But the thin neck is just too weird. It looks too weird. The head looks too wobbly to me.
Speaker 1: This is like when he gets into the assault mode and like bends over and is looking up laying down in the Batmobile in this movie, It's like, no, this, no, it looks so stupid.
Speaker 5: I got a lot of questions about the mechanics and the batmobile for a different character later. But I understand what you're saying, but I like this to I also like this cape more.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think they changed the cape.
Speaker 5: I don't know why, but I just like the way they did.
Speaker 2: So this is when.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, Rachel, Rachel comes to the mansion and it's like, Bruce, I wanted to give you a present. Clearly you're very hungover, and Bruce was like no, no, no. I was lit on fire and explosive fear toxing because of Batman now and I was unconscious for two days I'm not hungover. I didn't bang those two models. I'm secretly in love with you. Thank you for my president, but.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what believe that? That's not right? It's like.
Speaker 1: But he opens the President and it's we forgot to mention this. But the arrowhead like that's why he fell down the cave or something when he was a kid. He was looking for the astrod.
Speaker 2: It was on their property. And it's just say finers keepers in the tag.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so uh yeah what am I thinking of?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I liked how it portrays. There's multiple ways center the back cave. But one of the ways is if you play like three random off keynotes on the piano, it opens up a bookshelf.
Speaker 2: Love that what a like?
Speaker 5: Literally I think a sixties TV show reference? Yes, and what a flex to do it like this do so subtly?
Speaker 2: So great?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Next, seeing Lucius is chilling at work and Rutger Howard shows up and Lucius is like, wow, you run the company. What do you what you could you possibly be doing here? And Rucker Harr's like, hey, I need you to I need to report on this, like giant microwave illegal weapon we developed? And uh, I don't really know a lot about it, and like it's very important I get it right away. And then Lucius says, why did it go missing or something? And then Rucker Harris says, you're fired.
Speaker 5: It's just the way he words it is so not subtle at all. I need all of this as soon as possible, and like, of course something has to go wrong with it, and the famous line is, didn't you get the memo?
Speaker 1: Didn't you get the memo?
Speaker 2: You're fired?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Killian Murphy is a great actor and I love him. He's so creepy in this in a great way, just like very not creepy, like serial killer creepy. But just if you had a cup of coffee with him, you'd be like, this man is just very off putting.
Speaker 5: He's well, he's like responses to her questions are just very like I respect the power of the mind. And then like I have nothing to add to my report, Like why else would you ask me the question this question? Yes, his response here is pretty interesting. When Rachel was after him and he's like, okay, like she's getting too close, like she's gonna figure this out.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna take care of this now.
Speaker 5: So he just like walks over and shows like, hey, we're off poisonous city's water.
Speaker 1: Well, this will exchange. So Rachel is like, no, you're full of shit. I don't trust you. And he's like, all right, fair enough, come to the basement with me. And they're in this beautiful, like marbled hallway, much like the end of Stone Cold, and they go down to this disgusting basement and as soon as the door is open, I'm like run and he says, he says, I think there's some thing down this hallway you should see. And she's like, oh, okay, all right, what would you like to show me?
Speaker 2: Rachel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rachel, no, what are you doing? And then he's like, yeah, we're posing the city's water supply. She tries to run, she gets gas with fear of toxin and this this maybe maybe Popany's a nerfect corner, like a little cringey, but it worked for me. I liked it all of a sudden, like the there's a bunch of just goons. So she walks into the room and there's a hundred goons dumping water into a water may dumping poison into a water man. It's like, uh oh, but you hear some noises and then Crane says he's here, and he seems excited, and somebody says who's here, and the way he says that, he goes the Batman.
Speaker 5: This was another trailer moment that was huge for this movie. Yeah, another huge one.
Speaker 1: Now, but now i'd like to I'm gonna play clip. Is that that actually Paul Dano tested for the Scarecrow? And this is a clip. Oh no, here, who's here?
Speaker 2: That man?
Speaker 5: Hey, Scarecrow, it really shouldn't take the talks in yourself. We need you to do part of this with us. I I I don't know, I get again, like the movie just ramps it up him here like from the other part.
Speaker 2: Like I like this.
Speaker 5: I know it's very like convenient, but like I think before this is when Bruce. Oh yeah, when Bruce is leaving and Alfred's like, your party is starting, you have guests arriving.
Speaker 2: I love Bruce's lines. Tell them not joke.
Speaker 5: You know that's gonna tell him three hundred people that's entirely for hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hold up three hundred people for hours from my birthday party. Because he's having like going through the motions of Bruce wane birth birthday party. But Batman stuff comes up and look go ahead.
Speaker 2: No got you off. Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, so Crane says, call the cops, and they're like, call the cops. We're poisoning the city's water supply, and he goes, yeah, but it's we already did it, and they just want they'll they'll they'll be so distracted by Batman it'll be a bigger problem for him if like nine hundred cops show up, which is a point, yeah, very true. And then Batman says, like corners, Crane says.
Speaker 6: Tastey your own medicine, and.
Speaker 1: Then sprays him with the fear toxin. And then this is the part that I think is a little cringe, where like really yeah, like so you see Crane's perspective of Batman, and Batman has turned into like an entirely black demon whose mouths and eyes are bleeding goo.
Speaker 2: I actually really like this. I always thought this is a great thing.
Speaker 5: I was like, because it's like it's almost like the mask melted into his face. It's just like the way it looks like it's just a human face with the full mask on.
Speaker 2: I always like this, Yeah, yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: A great line. So flasks to a bunch of cops like, Batman's in there, what are you all waiting for? And one of the cops says, we're waiting for the SWAT team. They're on their way, but if you want to go in, I'll be right behind you. And then Flask just goes h you know, SWAT's on their way. But but Gordon, because he's not afraid of Batman, because he knows Batman's a good guy, he just goes in the building. And and Batman's like, Rachel has been poisoned with fear talks and I need you to bring her around to the back of the building, but don't worry, like, I'll meet you there, and and then there's this like horrifying noise and people start looking around in the sky and then Gordon says, Gordon says.
Speaker 6: What what?
Speaker 1: What is that noise? And then Batman says.
Speaker 6: I called for backup.
Speaker 1: And this is this is actually a scene from So this whole movie is very loosely based on a very famous comic called Batman Year one, and this is a scene from Batman Year one. So why don't you describe what happens?
Speaker 5: So we cut back to Flass and the police and swat team outside and you see a.
Speaker 2: What are they a flood? What do they call it?
Speaker 5: Of bats just flying in, thousands of bats, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know the term, but like a swarm of thousands of.
Speaker 5: Bats and they fly in because he has this bat signal and fly in and kind of prevent, you know, become cover for Batman as he jumps down the several flights of stairs and it's just an incredibly wonderful image and just it's just sick and I fucking love. They did the same thing in The Batman in twenty twenty two of just him running down the hallways of Arkham. You're like, this is what I came here for. This is exactly what I came here to see. It's just like it's so great.
Speaker 1: That in Your One was written by Frank Miller in nineteen eighty seven, but it's he uses this He develops this like sonic noise device in his boot, and if he releases this sound, all of the bats in the cave are triggered to like go to the sound. So that's how thousands of bats just like show up in this building. And then Gordon's able to escape with Rachel in his arms, Batman's able to escape. It's just a really cool moment and it looks amazing, and you know, Nolan is very anti CGI, but like, obviously you can't control thousands of bats, Not even Christopher Nolan can do that. So it looks great. But he Jim says, when he pulls Rachel out into the alley, he says, I'll go get my car, and Batman.
Speaker 6: Says, no need, I brought mine.
Speaker 1: And when he starts to lead, he starts to flee in the batmobile. All these cops call in, like, we need backup, we need helicopters. He's fleeing in a vehicle, and they say what kind of vehicle. One of the cops goes, it's a black tank.
Speaker 2: Is we'll have to get to this? Is he the guy in three?
Speaker 5: I know, okay, we'll get to that and maybe we'll get we'll figure it out in three.
Speaker 1: I think, I like, are you talking about the guy in three on the hockey team that ships his pants?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: You got me. For a minute, I was like, what when did this happen?
Speaker 5: Practice the gear in his bag and he sees the cargo by and he's defecates immediately.
Speaker 8: Sure, so this becomes the chase of the Tumbler with the police across the buildings. Speaking of you mentioned a little bit before the No c g I this was done with models and miniatures. It looks fucking awesome. The music on the scene is just going fucking crazy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Just how again he's driving this giant black tech.
Speaker 5: How they do this whole thing like he just turns the headlights off and they can't see him, is so great.
Speaker 2: How he just drive through the barriers in the road.
Speaker 5: Just how he evaded the police without hurting the police in a serious way or in somewhat of a serious.
Speaker 2: Way, I think, is so great.
Speaker 5: And anyways, all the reactions of the cops in these scenes and also the helicopters following them, the.
Speaker 2: Scene is a total blast.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, and the fact that you said the Batmobile wasn't even gonna be in the movie and the scene is this fun Like, it's.
Speaker 5: Great, I'd say, honestly, especially after this first one, not until Dark Knight came out, it had to be one of the most memorable things in the movie. Is the Batmobile. This, like the Tumbler's design was so different to the sound. Like I said, the sound, but by the way, we should just even go with this.
Speaker 2: The sound of.
Speaker 5: Everything in this movie, like all of his equipment, his gear, the beeping of like the bat actual like the bat whatever it is, the bat's signal there, everything he has is just such a great sound. But like, I love that the design aesthetic of the sound of the Tumbler is just that. In the documentary, Nolan says the point of the sound of the Tumbler was that it never crescendos.
Speaker 2: It always keeps going.
Speaker 5: Even if the car isn't going quicker, it just always gets quicker and quicker and louder and louder.
Speaker 2: That's the whole point to make it like relentless. I think it is so cool.
Speaker 5: So in the in the Batmobile, Rachel is flailing and this has another very classic.
Speaker 2: Line from this movie.
Speaker 5: I shouldn't say classic, but a very made fun of line from this movie is when he's screaming Rachel in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's pretty stupid. I don't really like that moment.
Speaker 5: But also just love that he outruns the cops, jumps into the waterfall where the Batmobile is.
Speaker 2: He's able to get her.
Speaker 5: This is one of the few times you kind of see him fly when he's in the back cave and he flies like the little area where she is.
Speaker 2: I think it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Yes. Also, so, like I said, the Scarecrow fear talx and is like the worst acid trip you could ever imagine. You just are having the most horrible trip of all time. So picture you're having the worst trip of all time. You're with a bat creature and you're in a car chase. That's gotta be pretty pretty bad. Like if I had an edible in that situation, I'd be having nightmares.
Speaker 5: I think she should have seen the killing and Murphy vision of Batman. That would have been absolutely horrifying, with him bleeding out of his eyes.
Speaker 1: And head's gonna be fine, kiss me all right, Jim says, I gotta get me one of those about the car so uh, and they're talking about like so I think Jim is talking to another cop and he says, what's going on? Like how do we stop this water supply taint? And they said they've been at this for weeks, like all of Gotham's water is already laced with this stuff, like all the water we've been drinking for days.
Speaker 5: And the guy makes an incredibly good assumption, which is what he's like, Why wouldn't this it that people?
Speaker 2: Yet? I don't know it might be need to be intake by the lungs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was quite a leap. But Rachel, Rachel's well, not to not to stereotype, but I believe he is the correct race for the League of Shadows. And really, oh, Rachel's in the cave, and Batman explains.
Speaker 6: Crane was just a pawn. We need to be ready.
Speaker 2: Uh, Alfred should do this the rest of the time. By the way, there were all three. You need to do this. I'm not kidding, I'm not I'm not being sarcastic. You need to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I will, I will. Alfred says, you're getting lost in this monster of yours. To reference Nenetzschee again, your father never needed to prove himself to anyone, including himself. You have a name to maintain, and he says, I don't care about my name, and Alfred says, it's your father's name.
Speaker 2: It's all this left to them. Don't destroy it. It's really nice.
Speaker 1: Don't destroy it. Don't destroy it. Love right, And Bruce now goes to his fake birthday party that three hundred people have been waiting for like five hours, and he like, so you tell the story about the old white lady introducing you know who.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, Bruce, I want you to meet this person.
Speaker 5: And it's like, I like to say, it's a mister raz al Ghoul, and I like how Like Bruce's face is like, how the fuck does.
Speaker 2: She know this name? I think it's just so great.
Speaker 1: He starts to beat her up.
Speaker 2: Oh do you know him? He does the voice of without the costume.
Speaker 1: On, So you think it's Ken Wantona be like because because the thing in the comics that you need to understand is ros al Ghul or rachelle Ghoul is immortal, not actually immortal. Like, but there's this there's this magical sort of thing called the Lazarus Pit. So Race can continue to age and then or get injured, you know, gravely injured, and then go on the Lazarus Pit and he's fine and he's restored to a youthful form. So when Ken Wantanabi shows up as Race, you're like, or rat Race being thrown off here, you're you you think, oh, it's like the whole Lazarus Pit thing. But then he turns around. It's not Ken Wantonaby, it's some dufist. Like the way that they cast this guy for this one scene was perfect because he looks so stupid and it's like, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 5: And then what were him and her talking about before?
Speaker 2: That's what I want to know.
Speaker 1: It's a great question.
Speaker 5: And she looks do they have any of those scalps wrapped wrapped in bacon?
Speaker 2: No? But Gotham will die. It's just like you.
Speaker 5: Just can't get off the topic and do Card's like, wait, wait, hold up.
Speaker 1: Wait, oh, She's like, oh yeah, the people in the Narrows, I would love if they all died, especially the black ones, and he's like that's the plan, yes, yes, everyone, Well not me. So then you hear Liam Neeson's voice is ros al Ghoul Immortal, and Bruce is like, oh my god. This entire time, Liam Neeson was rossl Goul.
Speaker 2: I thought that beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they's the same beard. Liam Neeson is due Card is ros al Gould. It's all been upfront, and Bruce says, I saved your life, and Duke Card says, I warned you about compassion. Bruce says, let these people at the party go and Uh, Duke Card says, I mean it's kind of fine, I'll let them all go, but it's pointless because they're all gonna die. We're all gonna we're gonna do a terrorist attack that's gonna kill everyone. So like, if you want me to spare them now, fine.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: And then immediately so that he's like, you gotta figure out a way to get them out of here, Bruce. Then and immediately Bruce goes into a drunk asshole mode. Amazing.
Speaker 2: We have to we have to give.
Speaker 5: Race credit for this line when Bruce lee, I'm gonna get them out of here.
Speaker 2: I love that he just.
Speaker 5: Goes you are welcome to explain this situation to them. Imagine how long that would take? All Right, So, like a few years back, I laughed like I was mad at with my parents, Like I would just I would just die laughing at that.
Speaker 1: Would you guys know they died right like in cram Alley Joe.
Speaker 2: Chill, Yeah, the whole thing happened.
Speaker 5: It really fucked me up, and like I was the wait the way, the way, the Way, Race just says that I always thought it was really funny because it was like, this is so elaborate.
Speaker 2: No one will ever believe you. I became a ninja.
Speaker 1: So so Bruce's drunk asshole speech I fucking loved and I was too lazy hilarious. I was too lazy to write it down, so I recorded it yesterday and forgive there's like an air conditioner background in this recording, but forgive me for that. But here we go.
Speaker 9: I really enjoyed Bruce's speech from recording it as a voice note to play in the pod. Everyone, everybody clink clink, clean, clink.
Speaker 2: On his glass.
Speaker 9: I uh, well, thank you all for coming here tonight and drinking all my booze. Not really, there's a thing about being a way in that you're never short of a few free loaders like yourselves to fill up your mansion with. So here's to you people, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm not finished.
Speaker 9: Tell you phonies, oh you two faced friends. You seek a fantic suck ups.
Speaker 1: Smile through your teeth at me.
Speaker 7: Please leave me in peace, Please go stop some, please leave the parties over.
Speaker 2: Get out.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna save this and give the same speech at like a future birthday party of mine.
Speaker 5: I was really ready for a Brian Setzer line to come out there.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 1: Oh what a missed opportunity. What an idiot I am.
Speaker 5: I can't believe what wasn't playing in the back. And I was prosed like a version of it wasn't playing in the background at the party on repeat.
Speaker 1: Because my party, it would be.
Speaker 5: That's true, That's very true. So at this point, hey, you go, No.
Speaker 2: I was jumping high. Actually I shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 1: Well, du Card says Crane thought this was for money. He thought we're gonna hold the city for ransom. But really the only reason we're doing this is we're gonna watch Gotham die. We're gonna watch Gotham tear itself apart, crime, despair. This is not how men are supposed to live, and he explains the League of Shadows has always existed. We sacked Rome, we loaded ships with plague rats. Every time a civilization peaked, they would thanos it. Basically, they would snap their fingers and eliminate half the population, which is what Thanos does. And he says no one can save Gotham. When a forest grows too wild, a purging fire is inevitable and natural. Your parents were misguided idealists like your father, you lacked the courage to do what is necessary. They were gunned down by the very people they were trying to help. Yeah, so what were you going to say? Ryan?
Speaker 5: It was the next scene, so it was still with this because like, this is they while this happens the.
Speaker 2: I think it was who breaks out? It is a breakout?
Speaker 1: Oh in arkhamaz Zaz breaks out of Arkham.
Speaker 2: What a great shot. By the way, coming out from the door.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh, oh, this is this is not good at all, and they cut to Flass and Gordon and Flash just says this is a line in this movie bad News. All the serial killers in like rapists are free.
Speaker 2: I was just like really like really like, I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: So this is probably a David Escoria move. But there's a there's a small scale batman villain named Zaz who's like not really super famous, but he's essentially like a rapist serial killer, and he covers himself in scars intentionally. So this guy comes out of prison and he's covered in scars and he just looks creepy as hell, and all the nerds in the audience are like, oh my god. It's as oh my god.
Speaker 5: They just do it so like again, like so well with like him, like walking out from behind the door, You're like, oh no, not good.
Speaker 1: And and Bruce gets trapped under like a flaming log because at this point the League of Shadows has set his mansion on fire. And then like, dude, there, ye, du Card is just like he did it there. It's a great point, Duke Card. He's still a human being. So he sees Bruce underneath the log and he decides, I'm not going to kill Bruce because he did save my life. I was falling off of a cliff and he saved my life. So he leaves Bruce to die. And he says, we're even because he didn't like actively kill Bruce. Yes, And Alfred Kao is a guy in the League of Shadows with a golf club, and I went, like, love it, Alfred, and he saves Bruce's life. I insurance corner boy. Wow, Uh so Wayne manor to rebuild as is would be like two hundred million dollars or more. And uh, you know, Bruce is a drunken, famous playboy billionaire. I would say it's got to be self insured. I don't think he can get I could be wrong. It could be like Lloyd's of London or something. You always hear Lloyds of London stories that like David Beckham insured his foot with Lloyds of London or something. But it could be something like that. But I bet he's self ensuring, Wayne Manner, because who what insurance company? Would no matter what premium we charge, if we charged him a fifty million dollars a year premium, we would not make our money back based on what is going on in this man's life.
Speaker 5: So what would you do to hear the phone call recording of like the first report of that loss?
Speaker 2: Uh Hi, this is Bruce Wayne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to I would like to, Oh sorry, hey, hey, I'd like to report a fire. Well, what happened?
Speaker 2: So I was tell the news.
Speaker 1: Was having a party. I got drunk. I told everybody get the fuck out, and then I blacked out. And I don't know what happened.
Speaker 5: I think it was part of that fear talks something that happened. I think I got high from that, really high from that.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, a nice drive, but we're canceling your policy. Uh so, Bruce says.
Speaker 2: Bruce says.
Speaker 1: Bruce says, like all the insurance adjusters are found the next day, like hanging upside down from lampposts in the parking lot of their office.
Speaker 5: Hey, the claim is just cut into one of their chests. It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to save Gotham, Alfred, and I failed. And Alfred says, why do we fal set so we can learn to pick ourselves back up? And then Bruce says, Alfred, you still haven't given up on me? And Alfred tearfully says, never.
Speaker 5: I've lost that whole line to it. The Wayne legacy is more than bricks and boards, sir, is so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course it's Thomas Wayne instilled this mentality into a man's got to have a code, as I always talk about, And Thomas Wayne's legacy is that code. It's not his money or his mansion or his company. I think that I think this is intentional. Maybe I'm overstepping, but do you think that the so the League of Shadows all put on gas masks to protect themselves from the toxin? They look very by to me? Do you think it's potentially bainy.
Speaker 2: That that's a great call.
Speaker 5: I'd never thought of it that way. I mean, because he's part of it. He was a discarded.
Speaker 2: Member of the group in a weird way. Yes, I guess maybe not ill when we rewatch it.
Speaker 5: But that's a great call out. I never thought of it that way. You Know what's funny is I always think of the end of the first bat the eighty nine Batman, where like the gas is going out of the Joker balloons and everyone has to wear the masks, because weirdly, these movies are very different. They have a lot of very much similar scenes to a lot of the older Batman movies and stuff.
Speaker 2: So I always thought of that. But that's a great call out to him. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So basically, the fear toxin has overtaken Gotham. They're all having LSD bad trips where they think everyone is a monster. There's a lot of biting they show the crowd at one.
Speaker 2: Point they're all like this like the zombie Apocalypse movie. I forgot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, the fucking Great Great A couple of great moments in this. I sound like the Alec Baldman Tony Bennett is great. It's a great, great scene, great great movie. But Scarecrow is on a horse, which is kind of cool, and the horse is breathing fire and he's like, this is my ultimate fantasy. This city has turned into what I wanted. And then Rachel just goes shut the fuck up and just tases him.
Speaker 2: So so good.
Speaker 5: There's also two of my favorite villains in this scene who are like no one famous. But when Rachel is first going into the Narrows and the guy, she's they're gonna, they're gonna, like there's one of the cops who is clearly corrupt, and she's like, I need to get in there, and the guy's like, lady, you're about to raise these bridges, like she's bothering him, like get away. I think is so funny, and then he lets the swat team filled with the League of Shadows. Yeah, go ahead, guys, you're good. I love that guy so much. I think it's so hilarious. And then my favorite one is when the kid from the from the Narrows is with Rachel Jeffrey Yes, yes, the blondehair kid, and she's like, uh, he like pushes the kid away. When the kids trying to Oh, I can't find my mom. Can you help me find my mom? And the and that random like one of the League of Shadows guys pushes him away and she just goes, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 2: All the guy does to him, I have never forgotten this in my entire life.
Speaker 5: Is just pointed her like this and says nothing, and all they do is zoom past him. And then that's when they show the emitter come out from the truck. And that's where we have the famous line, gentlemen, let's spread the word, and the word is scar.
Speaker 1: It is bump bump, bump bump. But I'm a great just fuck yeah, kick ass moment Fourth of July moment, we'll call it. His Commissioner Loab says to Gordon, Gordon's like, we need to send more people in. There's nobody left to send in. And then as soon as Lob says this, the batmobile just jumps through the air into the narrows. A Zaz is about to kill Rachel, and the little boy says, Batman will save us. And this made me sad because how many times has that happened where Batman didn't come and they die but Batman comes and saves them, and Rachel goes, thanks for saving us, Batman, and he says, it's.
Speaker 6: Not what I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Speaker 1: And I just rolled my eyes because so he's quoting Rachel to Rachel, and he's quoting Rachel to Rachel, so Rachel will know Batman is Bruce because he's wanted to tell her so bad because he has a crush on her and wants to bang her and dater, and she just thinks Bruce Wayne is some douchebag playboy who's like banging supermodels. And the whole movie is when it's so bad to tell her I'm Batman, but he knows it's too cringe to do it, and this is how he does it, and I'm like, loser.
Speaker 5: I they do this again in another one of these movies. I call back and they and it just bothers me. And we'll get to when we get to that scene in the future movie.
Speaker 1: But I like how the Fear talks and is helping Batman because everybody is scared shitless of him, like nobody wants to mess with him.
Speaker 5: We should mention he gave an antidote that Lucia's Fox created to Rachel and to Gordon, so these people are unaffected by it entirely. I love these Fear talks and visuals of him like flying over the crowd with like fire coming out of his eyes and his mouth and the whole thing, like the light beaming out of them is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so explain, uh so at this part. At this point, Ducard rosall Ghul is on the train, like the Thomas Wayne train, Yeah, delivering the microwave device through the city to kill everyone, and Batman goes to face off with him. In the meantime, Batman tells Commissioner Gordon take the batmobile, and you wanted to talk about Gordon driving the batmobile.
Speaker 5: This might be like my top three scene in this whole series, let alone movie. Gordon just doesn't know how this thing works, and it's just so overreactive of like okay, all right. And then when he gets like when the machine like seat pushes him down to like the I don't know, torpedo mode, the noise and face he makes I just find to be so funny. I don't know, Oh, the way he does it, I was like, it's just so corny. But the idea is that he wants Gordon to go shoot and take out the train tracks because, as Tim said, the train is heading towards the Wayne Tower. Where a lot of the water is going through. Yeah, but I seen I just love.
Speaker 1: And Gordon successfully does it. But before we get there, Batman's being sworn by like a hundred zombie citizens on fear tox and even Batman can't do anything about that. So he grapple hooks to the train and gets on the train. And I wrote, well, great, great Duke Card line, by the way or raja al ghul line. He says, okay, so you took my advice on theatricality quite literally when he sees his Batman costume, and I wrote, so Batman is beating up a fifty year old guy wearing a suit just like a black suit and tie, and he's wearing like elite soldier armor and is twenty years younger than him and like kind of doesn't get the upper hand on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very true.
Speaker 1: Uh And basically long story short, Duke Card, how does he get like stuck in the train. Oh, he's just like the train's gonna crash because Gordon shoots out the track, so's it's falling off of a cliff at this point.
Speaker 2: And also Batman, the controls inside were destroyed too.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And Duke Card says, well, you're not gonna kill me, and he says, I don't have to kill you, but I don't have to save you either, and then he exits the train, letting du Card die. So I want to talk about Batman's code really briefly and why this would not break his code. A street thug is an example, but you got to kill Ducard. So like the line in the Dark Knight returns when he says about the Joker, how many people have I murdered by letting you live? To let the Joker live, you're a moron. You are literally killing thousands of people by letting the Joker live if he doesn't have to kill du Card. But you know, oh, what is this like this kind of bullshit loophole to be, Oh, he's gonna let him die. Isn't that everything Batman's against? No, you have to if there's a mega terrorist that's going to wipe out an entire city, and we'll do it again if you let him live, that person die. But not killing a street thug is like setting an example and sending a message in a larger way, So it's not about like the actual person or scenario or can you kill or can you not kill or are you obligated to save Rosalghul? It's about symbolism and what the larger meaning of that action is, and so it makes perfect sense to let him die, even though it's like quote unquote breaking.
Speaker 5: His coade's undeniably, if he survives this, he will come back.
Speaker 2: He will see it again.
Speaker 1: And kill everyone everyone. And my favorite, like I don't know if you call it a gag, My favorite gag in this movie is the next day Bruce looks at the paper and the headline is drunken billionaire burns down home. But the next day rock Howerd shows up to work and Lucius is there and it's like, Lucius, you are fired. And Bruce calls and is like, yeah, you took the company public and I bought all the shares. So you know, it's a bit technical. You probably wouldn't understand because earlier in the movie, because Rutger Howerd thinks Bruce Wayne is like some douchebag jerk off, he says, oh, it's a bit technical, Bruce, he wouldn't understand. So Bruce says in this call, it's a bit technical, you wouldn't understand, but I bought all the shares of the company, and I gave Lucius your job, didn't you get the memma? And then Rachel shows up in the ashes of Wayne Manners, literally as Bruce is shifting through the ashes, which goes back to like Ryan saying she only has thematic dialogue, and She's like, let's make out in the ashes and talk about how we can never be together. I guess the man I loved never came back. Bruce is your mask? I mean, you're right, And Alfred says, what is your plan with the burned down mansion? He says, I'm going to rebuild it the exact way it was brick for brick, and Alfred says, well, this might be a good opportunity to rebuild some of the foundations, if you know what I mean, and the Southeast Foundation, and I made a reference to the HH Holmes murder House, like H. H. Holmes is basically the evil Bruce Wayne, where in the eighteen hundreds he built this like custom home that was filled with different rooms to gas and kill people and then burn their bodies or dissolve the meat and sinew from their bones and sell their skeletons to oh medical schools. He actually did do that, but sorry, that was just a little me tangent that didn't need to be in this episode. So yeah, Rachel's like, yeah, we can't be together because you're Batman, and like this is fucked and just right, okay, yeah whatever, who cares? Okay. So that Gordon builds a bat signal and he lights it up in the sky and Bruce shows up, Batman shows up. He's like cool, this is neat. And Gordon says, I'm worried about escalation though, and Batman's like, what are you talking about, because this is what you referenced earlier, Ryan, So like, what is the escalation he's worried about.
Speaker 5: So this is what I say I've been saying in my car to myself for years. We start carrying semi automatics, they buy automatics, We start wearing kevlar, they buy arm are piercing rounds, and and you're wearing a mask shopping off rooftops. Now take this guy, arm robbery, dumb mohomicide has the taste for the theatrical, like you Lee, he's a calling card, flips it over the Joker card from the character of the Joker.
Speaker 1: Everyone in the audience shasp their pants and this this is like O. He turns it over. It's a Joker card and then Batman goes, oh, look into it. So this is a Christian Rollan is telling everybody in the world, I am guaranteeing you the next movie is The Joker. And me at age how old was I? Nineteen? Me at age nineteen, I thought, I now have a reason to live. I need to put off suicide for another few years because I have to see this. There's there's nothing. There's no movie I've ever been more excited for than what is going to come next. And that movie next will be The Dark Night.
Speaker 5: This moment starts the hype machine for the next three years.
Speaker 1: That Katie Holmes is like, I'm good.
Speaker 2: She winds the Joker. They said, no, well.
Speaker 1: Here's here's why. So like, okay, take Brian Setzer for a second. My Batman begins advice is life is fucked up and horrible, and the abyss will stare back at you. And when it stares back at you, don't blink. Ryan, what is your Batman begins advice.
Speaker 2: It's hard to match that.
Speaker 5: There, Um, if you're gonna buy a restaurant, at least like, check the food first.
Speaker 2: He didn't get any of the food. I would I would not immediately do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: You should have a twenty minute scene at him eating.
Speaker 5: We should have any of the Caribbean buffalo wings by chance, We'll add those when I take over.
Speaker 1: That sounds good, but uh oh yeah, we need to We need to end this. It's been two and a half hours for Batman Begins. I honestly I didn't remember loving Batman Begins as much. I thought like Batman begins as a great precursor to the Dark Night, and that's basically it. It's it's like teeing up the Dark Knight and it's kind of nice, but it's not great. I loved it. I watched it. I hadn't seen it in years. Loved Batman Begins, absolutely loves it better than I remember.
Speaker 5: It's age really well, like we said earlier, looks great, sounds, great Music's awesome became I think we should just mention this became influential in its own way. I know it's kind of hard to say that after the kind of like the giant shadow of the Dark Knight, but truly, this became a very big reference point for people making reboots, very big reference for taking the material you're working with much more seriously, this movie did not make a ton of money.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not, it did not.
Speaker 5: Yeah only so this movie made, if I'm on Wikipedia right now, made three hundred and seventy five million dollars on one hundred and fifty million dollar budget.
Speaker 2: So it did not make a shit to right, but it's it is. I remember just being a total nerd.
Speaker 5: What a shock watching like interviews with directors after other movies, other making of documentaries, and so many of them name checking Batman. Begins as being like, I saw that movie and thought I can do X. I saw how they did this, and we can do that. I saw how they pulled this off. Like all this stuff, it was just so influential in its own way that I don't think it gets a lot of respectful and it really should. So this is a total blast to watch. I just want to pull a comment on one thing. I was watching the credits at the end. I loved how Zaz was played by a man named Tim Booth. I loved how a serial killer played a serial killer. That's fucking great to me. I thought was fucking phenomenal. Either was fucking great.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't you know the next episode is going to be Sometimes, like when we do Stone Cold, I'm like, Okay, great, this will be fun. I don't really need to pay attention to the movie. I don't need to take that many notes. This is I, I will say. And then sometimes I'm like, Okay, I actually care about this. I have to force myself to try. And then there are times that goes beyond that where it's like, this is one of the most important moments of my life. This is what this is what I have to say about the Dark Night. Like I'm going to take the next episode so seriously it may not even be good.
Speaker 5: I think, And we talked about this, we should truly just do an entire episode about the build up to the release of this movie, in terms of hype for it, things that happened, things that happened peripherally around it that had an effect on it, like pop culturally, because it was such Again we said in the intro episode, like we saw this in like in real time happen, and like I have just rarely seen movies that have so much hype. You're like, there's just no way they can come near this hype. It's it's too over hype now, and somehow I did it.
Speaker 1: Hey, CC, if you think you're seeing your dad this week, you're mistaken. But with that, with that, we're gonna leave you. Thank you for listening, and I'm I'm very, very excited about the next episode. We've never done Watchmen, right, the movie, yeah, or anything.
Speaker 2: Nothing, We've only with this.
Speaker 5: We kind of talked about it perfectly because we did the Heath Ledger episode and then we also did a Joker episode with the character, so we kind of.
Speaker 2: Talked about this a little bit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, the two the two movies I was most excited about in my life, We're Watchmen and The Dark Knight. Watchman obviously was way more disappointing than The Dark Knight, but it definitely had redeemable qualities and we should do that. We should do that one day.
Speaker 2: But I would love to haven't seen him a long time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, well, thank you for listening, and we'll catch you on the excuse me, bat flip? That's so lazy?
Speaker 2: Is that count as a burp jar as well? Too?
Speaker 1: Well? Okay, I get to pass on that because you don't. You also should kind of get a pass on this. But the beginning of Stone Cold Part two, the moment I hit record. You didn't think I had hit record yet, So the moment, like, just listen to the very first second of Stone Cold Part two, it's a burt from you perfect.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's only I'm glad that episode.
Speaker 1: But I was like, that doesn't really count. He didn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the plan.
Speaker 5: No, it's a thousand now, it's a thousand now, all right, Well I'll wait till Friday.
Speaker 2: Okay,