Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with Scamp Richard.
Speaker 2: It's crazy gas trim.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as us so many good things to seep baas.
Speaker 4: Gas.
Speaker 3: Not a sign credits gas sun beam down between.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning folks. Oh, we are glad to have you with us this morning, and we're gonna have a good day talking about plants. Every day is a good day when you talk about plants. Right, Well, how about you give us a call if you've got a question and we will talk about plants. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Now if I say talk about plants, we can talk about bugs. We can come out in diseases. That's kind of boring, isn't it. Oh goodness? And we can talk about weeds, Yes we can. I was you know this fall I've been in a number of different appearances out and about, and it seems like weeds or what everybody wants to talk about. People show up with a bag full of plants for ID and they're all weeds. It's okay, I know weeds are an issue. Just a reminder that fall aster is blooming in our LUNs now, and if you have it, you'll know it. And here's how you know it. The weed is very blue green, dark blue green, so it really stands out, especially if you're a grass is struggling. And it has little tiny daisy like flowers with a lot of skinny little petals, way more petals than a daisy would. But these things are about dime size and they're all over the place. And there's one thing you do right now for it is hand pull it. I know you didn't want to hear that. Make sure the soil is wet so it comes out easily and doesn't break off. All you got to do is give it an irrigation and grab it at the very base. It may be a weed the size of the steerwheel in your car in terms of width, flat as a pancake because you've been mowing the lawn and it goes horizontally really easily, and you just grab it where it comes out of the ground and find that spot. Wiggle a little bit and it comes straight up out of the ground. Get it out of there before it's at seeds. However, flower is gonna have about fifty seeds in itever and the plant can have just dozens and dozens and dozens of flowers, and so you got to get it out. Don't try to spray it. You're not going to kill it with a spray. Now that it is, as we say, gone reproductive, meaning it's blooming and setting seeds in general, post emergent broadly, if we control does not do a good job after those weeds have gone reproductive. Okay, so just keep that in mind. Now's the time to get that hand pulled. And it is called fall aster. It's been there all well almost all year. It's sprouted when the weather warmed up and been kind of hiding from you. In a they can lot of it'll get like knee high, well higher than knee high, but in our lawns it just goes sideways and does a good job of it's a survivor. Well, you are listening to the garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and our phone number is seven to one three two one two k t r H. Now, in the fall, we have three things that we are focusing on in our lawns, and that is our fall fertilization. Secondly, dealing with the weeds that are going to be germinating, for next spring's big appearance that they'll germinate. Now, sit there all winter, and then in spring they take off growing bloom set seeds. And the best way to note to think about that is our blue bonnet, our beloved state flower, the blue bonnet. It sprouts in the fall, get a little bit of coal front, a little bit of water, little rain from it, and hear that thing comes up, but you don't see it almost all winter. It's there, but it's tiny, and then it takes off growing. That's what our winter weeds do, So now is it time to prevent them. Third thing is dealing with the upcoming disease infections, which are large patch or brown patch, big circles in the lawn and take all root rot. Nitrofos has set us up to take care of all three with what they call the Texas three step. It's a good name for it. You just dance across the lawn with the fertilizer, which is the fall special, the barricade, which is the prevention of weeds. It prevents weeds when they try to sprout, It kills them before they get up and establish. And then third the nitrophoss eagle turf fungeicides a systemic protectant. Now the fertilizer is time to get it down. The sooner you get it down, the more good it can do. Because as it gets cold that grass come quit growing and the fertilizer isn't as helpful as it would be right now, so get it done now, out especially now, get the barricade down. Now, watered in about half inch of water. Move it into the soil. That is required for it to work. You gotta watered in. Third, get the Eagle turf fungicide down now it also it's okay to water after that. You don't have to water after the Eagle Turf fungicide, but if you do, it moves into the soil and it's taken up by the roots as well as the top parts of the plant. So three steps fall special wind riser, the night frost barricade and the Eagle Turf fungicide. You can find this at Court Hardware down at Stafford Katie A s hardburre Kase it as does plants and things out in Brenham And for those of you up in Willis, just head over to Growers Outlet and you'll find it there. We're going to head to the phones now and talk to JJ. Hello, JJ, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 5: Ground and got plenty of plants, pot plants right above the ground. Do I have to ground that?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, JJ, I lost the first part of which she said, could you repeat it for me? Please?
Speaker 5: I raised plants in pots and they're elevated above the ground.
Speaker 4: Do I have to ground them?
Speaker 6: Plants?
Speaker 4: I've had a friend to me, then.
Speaker 7: I have to ground it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. Across the country, people grow plants in pots on tables. Soken. I need you to turn that radio off. But no, you can. You can just grow them. You can set them wherever you want to set them and grow them there. Okay, all right, I believe we took care of that. Let's now head out to Parlant and talk to Kay.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 8: Hi, good morning, Thank you for taking my call. Yes, I just have a question. I have a great big crpe myrtle in my backyard and it keeps putting up, you know, the suckers keep coming up and I keep cutting and cutting. Is there any way to stop them?
Speaker 2: Temporary number number one? Yeah, what you need to do, okas you need to cut them off as close to the trunk as you can. Don't leave little stubs that just leaves more buds to come out, So off as close as you can and then spray it there is. There are various sprays that have the word sucker in the name, like sucker stopper. That is an example of one.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you spray that. It's a hormone and it tells the plant not to grow a shoot right there. Now. It's not permanent, it's not like it lasts forever. But if you when you make your cuts, go ahead and spray that cut surface and it works pretty good.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, Well I was afraid the spray anything, you know, I didn't want it to damage the other plant. But thank you, yes, I will do that. You bet have a great day.
Speaker 2: Bye bye you too. Thank you appreciate your call. All right, time for me to take a little break. We'll be right back, folks. Seven one three two one two kat r H. All right, folks, good to be back. Let's keep going here on garden line. If you'd like to give us a call. Seven to one three two one two five eight seven four are KTRH seven one three two one two KTRH last Saturday, I was out at Nature's Way Resources and thanks to Ian John for having me out. It was great. They had their fall festival. We had a really good time, and I just wanted to remind you their Fungal Friday sale is still on. That's twenty percent off their fungal compost. Fungal compost can also be used for top dressing or you can put it down in your soil. It's an outstanding product, works very well on any kind of plants. So Friday's the time to get out there and get you a great deal twenty percent off on the fungal compost. Of course, it's a good time all the time to be out at Nature's Way. You know, their mix of products is just amazing. I mean they have they have blends. Let me just give you an example. They have bent blends for your blueberry growing. You know, they have a little more acid living place. They got the cactus and desert mix. Of course, they got quality potting soil, rose soil mixes for gardens and flower beds, just general landscaping kinds of mixes, all kinds of different mulches. I mean I could just go all day talking about their products and a lot of the products we talk about here in the Greater Houston area, like leaf mold, composed rose soil, they were born at Nature's Way, so they've been doing this a long time. Right now, they've got a really good sale in the nursery and they have a lot of great native plants too, by the way. They have fruit trees, they have houseplanted shrubs, all kinds of things. But now through December first fifty percent off their nursery plants. So I don't know you're going to ever find a better sale than that fifty percent off their nursery plants. At Nature's Way Resources and Nature's Way Resources on Sherbrook Circle, you go north on forty five where fourteen eighty eight comes in from the left from Magnolia. You turn right across the railroad tracks and make another right and you're there, easy, easy to get to and lots of good quality things. I was out about in the countryside the other day and was in Anti Rosing for him, and I love going there and you will too if you haven't been there. Those of you who have know what I'm talking about. Anti Rosingporium is just a wonderful destination for gardeners, and I would say, if you're gonna make that little trip out to Independence, Texas and it's not far, I mean, it's a very nice little outing, be a good thing to do today or tomorrow afternoon. Even antique rose Emporium is it's like a wonderland. So take some friends with you and just enjoy walking around. It looks great. They are loaded. They're overflowing actually for fall. Of course they got roses and roses and then have some more roses. Everything you do you want a shrub large? Do you want a small shrub? Do you want one that's almost thornless? Do you want a climber? Do you want a climber that repeat blooms? Do you want one suitable for a container? What color do you want? What fragrance? Do you see what I'm talking about? Anti rosing? For him? Now they're gearing up for their fall Festival of Roses, and you need to write this down. By the way, I always listen to garden Line with a pen or paper in hand, because I was giving you stuff like this. You need to write down Fall Festival of Roses November one, two and three. The first day is a ticketed garden party. That's Friday, November first, and then Saturday and Sunday are free and open to the public. They're going to have speakers like Rosarian by the way, Chris Weisinger, the Bulb Hunter, is going to be there, Mike's Rent from micro Life will be there, Henry Flowers, doctor Stephen George with the earth Kind program from up in the Dallas area. Doctor George is a hoot. In fact, I'm going to say he's Toot's good friend of mine and you will. You will be rolling listening to that character talk. He is really good. They're going to have an artist in market and food trucks and plants of all types. Of course, they got the gift items and of certainly of course roses. When you go to Antique Rosenpium, tell them I sent you. You got to listen to this part. Tell them I sent you. Get ten percent off at discount even if you go order online. When you order online in our coupon codes skip twenty twenty four skip twenty twenty four. Antique roses. Of course they're roses, but there's so much more. You can give them a call at ninety seventy nine eight three six fifty five forty eight, or do this. Just go to Antique Roseemporium dot com. There you can find out everything that's going on, all the plants that they have, and Antique Roseemporium dot com will get you all set up. Four roses and a lot more. And they really do have a lot more, some really nice herbs and vegetables and other things right now out there. Well, we are in the big middle of fall according to the calendar. And remember, don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. That's what's important when it comes to our fall gardening. For example, if you wait until it cools off and we get a cold front and some rain to put out your pre emergency may be a little late doing that. If you wait put out your fertilizer, well it'll be there in the ground, but the plant roots won't be as active as they were when it was a little warmer warmer like now. Ace Hardware has got all of those things that you keep hearing me talk about, like your fall fertilization from all the different companies organic and synthetic. At Ace Hardware, they've got things like the barricade. They've got things like the Eagle, which is the fungicide for a brown patch and take all root right as well. They've got the fire ant control and it is still time to do that. Knock those fire ants out now with a bait. And there's several reasons to use a bait. Number one, it gets all the mounds, even the ones you don't see. Okay, a mound treatment, you're just playing whack them mole with the bait. You get them all. ACE Hardware has several different brands of bait including come and Get It. Most aces I've been in as i've looked, have got to come and get It, which is an organic mate for Finrance if you want to go that route. And when you're in ACE, you're gonna find seasonally everything you need. They're fixing the load up here and get us ready for the holiday season with lights and things. I'll tell you more about that later, but that's just like ACE. They're always on top of things and always everything you need. I was in there the other day needing some plumbing parts for some plumbing that I was doing, and just you know, it makes it easy because you go to ACE and you know they have it. That's why they say ACE is the place there's forty ACE stores in the Greater Houston area. You can go to ACE Hardware dot Com find the store near you, and you're all set up. So get in there and get it all done. Get your fertilizers, any kind of weed controlling, kind of disease control, pass control, and all the tools you need, everything else you need to have a beautiful, beautiful place. And ACE is the place for a beautiful place. We are listening to garden Line and our phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. One of my daughters was out an antique rosenporium just a whole about a week or so ago, picking up some roses for their place they have just moved into, and I recently moved into a new place for them, and uh, they just are getting it fixed up so nice. And one of the things they wanted to get done with some roses, well that's they got them fixed up out there at the antique rosing porium, which is no surprise, beautiful stuff. They bought some gorgeous some climbers and shrub roses that have unbelievable fragrance out there. We talk about issues with trees a lot, you know, I say on guard line, and we used to say this, and we do say this in the Agrlife Extension office around the state. Three things that make the phone ring are the three t's, trees, turf, and tomatoes. Tomato and the vegetable garden number one question by far. In fact, I should have added them up over the years. I would almost say that probably thirty percent at least twenty five percent of all questions coming in on vegetables or about tomatoes. But the two big ones really are trees and turf. You gotta take care of your trees are the most valuable part of your landscape. And Affordable Tree Service is the place to call someone ask me this week. You know, hey, what I was driving and I heard you talk about Martin Spoon Moore an affordable tree and I didn't write it. I couldn't write it down. All right, we'll allow it. If you're driving. We don't want to want you to have a wreck. Just send them the number seven one three six nine two six sixty three seven to one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three. Here's the website for those of you who like to go about that direction. Aff tree Service dot com, a f ftree service dot com. Martinal Prune. He does deep root feeding, he checks your trees overall health. You're gonna do any kind of thing like you know, trenching or doing something around the tree's root system, you got to call Martin first to come out because once the damage is done, you know, if you do it and then the tree is not looking good, well, I mean, you know, he doesn't have magic potions. He does good job. He's not miracle work, all right, So don't wait until after you've done the damage. Call him before so he can help you avoid that so important. Uh, you got to get him booked though it is we're in the big middle of tree middle where at the beginning of the tree prime pruning season it'll go all the way through the end of winter. And he stays busy. So you got to call him and book him to come out, get him a you know, it doesn't matter if he comes out in February or whatever. Just book him now to get that done. And the number again seven one three six two six six three. I in my garden and yard I was I was out. We're fixing the put in a patio. I've got an area that I've prepared a while back and just kind of got away from the project doing some other things. But I've got some crushed road based top materials down. I'm fixing to put a flat stone patio in in the backyard and uh, you know, just a dry not cement today in or anything. Our soil moves too much for for cemount without lots of extra efforts.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so we're gonna get that out. And I was just getting all that set up doing some other things. I've still got some nuts edge popping up here and there.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: I I've got a publication online about how to control it, and what I tell you online works. It does work if you follow my instructions online at gardening with Skip dot com.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: The publication up there is called nutsedge and in Depth. But anyway, and so I had some coming up and one of my fine textured zoysias nuts edge shows up like a Neon sign in that find texture zus. And I was just doing the wiper, the product that you need to do for it. Had some coming up still in a flower bed. I had a flower bed that was loaded in nuts edge and it's down to probably oh less than a tenth of the nuts edge that it had, and it will never get a chance to come up and have sunlight. I will win, and I am winning just staying on it. But that means I'm practicing what I preach. If you want to beat nut's edge, you cannot let it come up for air. In other words, it comes up, and you let it sit there for three weeks capturing sunlight. And it's just you're increasing the problem when you do that, You're going backwards. It's not just one plant. That one plan is making daughters, and those daughters are making daughters, and that's how it becomes a problem. So stay with it. Well, enough of the nuts sete lecture. Let's go to Janet Important Natures. Hey, Jenet, welcome to gardenline.
Speaker 11: Hey, good morning. I was wondering how deep how deep you plant tulip bobs?
Speaker 2: How deep you plant.
Speaker 12: Uh huh tulip bombs.
Speaker 2: Tulips four times three to four times the width of the bulb deep?
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, okay, all right, sure, thank you, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Janet, you take care, Thank you having the call. All right now, I havn one three two one two k t r H. If you'd like to give me a call listen. If you are planning on doing your fall fertilization, do not delay. Now's the time to get it done. And Microlife has an excellent fertilizer. It's called brown Patch, and it sounds like it'll be a fungicide to kill diseases. Well, what it really is. It's a nutrient pack fertilizer designed for fall that is also packed with microbes. And when you get good microbes out there, there are many species of microbes that help fight bad microbes. That's kind of how nature works. And the sixty three different beneficial microbe strains in another product that I like to put down with the brown Patch, and that's MicroB Grow Bioanoculent. So here's here's here's how it works. You put on the Microlife brown Patch, follow the label, put it down the bag, put it on the proper rate, and then I would suggest you get also the Microbe Grow bio Andoculent. It only is it only takes about five to ten pounds per thousand square feet. This isn't a fertilizer. It is just loaded with sixty three different strains of beneficial micro organism. You put those two down, you watermen really good, and you have provided a lot of additional microbes just splashing up there on the plant surfaces and everything else as you irrigated in or as it rains. And that's your fall fertilization. And that is the double package from the folks at Microlife for your fall lawn care. And it's important to get that done soon, very soon, don't alive. I'd say this weekend would be the time to get it done. Those organic materials are going to decompose as microbes get a hold of them and break them down, and that's what they do. They release the nutrients. That's what happens to the leaves that fall on the forest floor. Microbes turn them into plant food and so Microlife if you want more information, Microlifefertilizer dot com is where you can find out where you can buy it, which I already save you some time and tell you everywhere pretty much everywhere I see that stuff A feed stores and garden centers, ace hardware stores, the Southwest fertilizer, lots of lots of places. Let's go to friends with now, and we're going to visit with Marcus. Hey Marcus, Welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 1: Good morning, morning morning.
Speaker 13: I got about five foot crate myrtles in my front yard. I got two of them, and they've always blossom from the top and they're really nice and thirty. After the freeze a couple of years ago, they kind of start growing from the bottom or in the middle, and they stop growing from the top. How would I change that?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, it's because the freeze knocked it out. The freeze came when they weren't ready. You know, plants harden off, they get ready for winter, and we had a December freeze that hit them and they were not ready. And I've seen crate myrtles killed all the way to the ground and then they're re sprouting. So you just got to print out all that dead top growth. Now if it's if it's really a mess and it's ugly, you can take some of the shoots at the bottom and reform your tree out of that or your bush out of that. Meaning you're going to cut all of them away except for maybe three or four and then reform the tree by pruning those into the shape of a tree as it grows. If it's not that bad, and you've got some parts above ground that still look good. Then you just need to cut the dead back to where there's healthy wood. But you kind of need to look at them carefully. You may walk around them and see a trunk or a branch that has major sunken areas where it's like part of it is alive, but part of it is dead, And that probably needs to come out.
Speaker 13: Right because I know it is it growing like in the middle. They got branches popping out in the middle, but there's not there's notting on the top. So if I cut it down where they start growing, then it's gonna look like a shrub. And the Hoa's already sent me a letter saying cut your shrubs. And I'm like, they're not shrubs, they're great myrtles.
Speaker 2: And so what you're gonna do, yeah, Marcus, So what you're gonna do is if you want to leave, if you want to cut them back to where in the middle they're sprouting out, you got to cut out everything but maybe a couple of branches on each of those stalks in the middle, because you know, crape myrtle comes out of the ground and although there are single trunk forms usually they have about three trunks, and then those three trunks fork, each of them becomes two, and then each of those two comes two more. And so you're gonna go back and like you got a trunk, and at midway up it's just got all these sprouts coming out, you know, cut it down to two sprouts there and cut the top out, and that's gonna be gonna be pretty hacked up looking. So I can't see your myrtle to you know, tell you go right here and make this cut. Some people have just gone to the bottom, cut them out there and then chosen three more trunks to come back with and then pruned into a beautiful shape those three. Let them come up and branch, and then let the branches come up and branch. But depending on how serious the cold image is, that's your approach. Just think about a beautiful look at the most beautiful grant murder you've ever seen, and look at how the branches form on that. And that's how you're going to prim this to be all right, A lot of shrubby, a lot of shrubby stuff is gonna have to come out. I wouldn't do it now though, that would just spur new growth and if we have another December freeze, then it's really in trouble. From that, Wait until we get into egoes fully.
Speaker 14: Dormant, Okay, which will be when?
Speaker 2: Hell, we'll see depends on the weather.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know I've been. I've been down in your area, your south of Houston.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It could be January. It just depends on the weather we have. But I would do the printing if I if you can wait that long in the HOA will wait that long. I would do it probably in oh, mid January, something like that would be a good time.
Speaker 14: All right, sir, sounds great, Thank you, thanks.
Speaker 2: For the call. Appreciate that. Hey, I'm going to be in a chanted forest and chanted forest down to Richmond today. I will be there today from eleven thirty to one thirty. Actually I could probably get there about eleven forty five, but anyway, come on out. I've got a little bit of a road to get there today. But about eleven forty five ish to one thirty one forty five, I'll be there doing Q and A giving out Medina products. Medina's provided a bunch of free giveaways for us if you can get there at ten o'clock. Debbie Ping's one of the staff members there in Channed Forest is going to be doing a program on shade plants, and she's just really good at plants that put up with low low light. And you just want to go hear her and then stick around shop a little bit and I'll show up. Well, they've got a channed forest. They've got fall veggies and color, oh galore. It's everywhere if you need herbs or vegetables or just annual plant perennial plants. They also have got great shipments of shrubs and trees, including red buds and holly's, maples, oaks, magnolias. They even have a good shipment of fruit trees. Then, and you know our pollinators and Chennifors really specializes in plants that attract butterflies and the various pollinators that we have. And the days are getting short and those pollinators are looking for things to eat, our things to feed on, and so you just really hard to beat the natives. Salvia's and antanas or excellent choices for those as well. When you walk in two enchanted for us, you just go up and talk to one of the folks there. They know what they're talking about. They can point you to plants that'll do well. And if you'll come today June about eleven, let's say eleven forty five. I'll be a little conservative there. I make it there earlier, but eleven forty five and about one forty five, I'll be there answering your questions and I can point you in the direction of some of those planets. You can bring me some samples and bags too, by the way, I'll be happy to help with those. All right, Well, here we are on another break. I got to run for that. Michael and Humble, you be our first up when I come back. Welcome back to Garden Line, folks. Good to have you with us as always, if you'd like to give me a call seven to one three two one two ktr eight. Simple as that. You know, fall is the season to get things planted, especially the most important of all the great things we should plant in the fall, or the trees and shrubs, the woody ornamentals. And the reason is you need time for those root systems to establish before next summer when it will be blazing hot and dry when next summer arrives. So now's the time to get them planted. I would say don't plant a tree without grabbing a three sixty tree stabilizer. Rather than getting the wires out and cutting wires and hitting stakes in the ground and you know, finding pieces of garden hose to go around the tree so you don't cut into it with a wire. Just get a three state three sixty tree stabilizer. You can just put a post in the ground. Simplest thing would just be to get a tea post. The stabilizer has an attachment where you it attaches to the te post and it holds it. If you've got a larger tree, you want to go one kind of north south, one kind of east west, so you're holding it from both directions that way, no matter way which way the wind blows, it's got it well stabilized. You can find these things. They last forever too, and they hold the tree with a little slack so it can move just a little, which is important on it getting well established and having a good strong trunk. You don't want to just honker it down where you can't move it. All three sixty tree stabilizers designed to do that. You can get them at RCW Nursery. You can get them at Buchanan's Native Plants way downs out in Alvin Jorges Head and Gardens. They have them there. Over at the Arborgate in Tomball Plants for All Seasons has got them on two forty nine and now south Well Southwest Fertilizer has them shooting. I mentioned that one and now the new place is cnmlch Ciena Malts is now carrying the three sixty tree stabilizer. I'm going to head now to Humble and we're going to talk to Michael. Hello, Michael, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Yes, sir, the quick question here is is that I purchased a Sam Houston peach tree in the spring and I in the pot, you know, and the whole purpose was to do this, it said so I had won the year before and when the winter came it.
Speaker 7: Didn't make it.
Speaker 15: So I've transplanted this peach tree into a bigger pot since then and it's doing well.
Speaker 4: It's about seven or eight feet.
Speaker 15: Tall by now, and I'm wondering when would be a good time to put it in the ground, and then of course after winter, because I was just going to move it into the garage when it starts dropping, you know where it doesn't do so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Michael, the best time would just be go ahead and get it done. Sam Houston peach peaches in general, they can take our winners just fine. And if you planted it now, you would be able to give it more time to get roots established for next summer coming. They peaches don't like being in pots. And in fact, if you had it outside, if you want to wait until the leaves fall off, you can do that and then plant it. But I would get it done before winner if I were you, and take it out of the pot. How big how big across the top of the pot is it? I mean we're talking about something the size of the steering wheel in your car or something bigger or smaller.
Speaker 15: Well, the pot itself at the top is probably, oh, I don't know, twelve eighteen inches wide. Yeah, it's probably eighteen inches when.
Speaker 2: You put it in the ground, and you're gonna see some roots going around the outside. And this is going to be hard to do, but I need you to get a box cutter, knife or printers and go vertically through the outside of that root ball and cut the roots from top to bottom on the outside that are making a circle. They will branch underground then and it'll establish better in the long run. So if you want to wait until the cooler, go ahead.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry.
Speaker 15: As opposed to taking it out of the pots, is just.
Speaker 2: You know, no, you're planting. No, you're planning in the ground. So when when it comes out of the pot and you're about to put it in the ground, don't put it in the ground with roots going in circles. Cut those roots because everywhere you cut them, they'll they'll branch and fork out and go into the soil around the plant.
Speaker 15: Okay, okay, all right, I understand, okay, all right, yeah, And I usually use the fertilizer that that's meant for you know, fruit trees.
Speaker 2: Well for for this, don't don't don't put fertilizer in the planning hole. Just put in the ground and next spring, when it starts to grow, then start with that fertilizer for fruit trees.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, you bet, thank you for the call. Appreciate that we we were talking, you know about the importance of soil. I always say brown stuff before green stuff, brown stuff before green stuff. Heirloom soils has a really good deal going, right, now I mean and you need to hear this. They have a brand new one cubic yard supersack. Now this is they're branded with the Heirloom Soils and Warrens Rock and multch So this is a very limited time deal. So you need you need to hear me on this. You you get one cubic yard of aged leaf mold composts. Be perfect for top dressing your yard. You can use leaving More compost for anything, mixing it in the soil. Plants love it. But you get that plus the supersack itself for only ninety nine dollars. That's a seventy five percent savings per sack now age leaf More compost. That is a that is a souper high quality, very special product. And you get the sack and the compost for ninety nine dollars and that's only good through October twenty six, next Saturday, So you need to act on it now. But now's the time you need to be doing top dressing on your lawn. And here you go. You get the supersack and everything for that price. Now perfect for gardening, perfect for landscaping too. You got to go out to the porter yard if you want you can pick it up there. I mean, they will deliver it, but you got to get three sacks minimum for delivery. You know, they can't drive one sack all the way across town or something like that. That would be very cost prohibited. But if you get three, they'll deliver it. Are you can just take your little truck or your trailer out there. It is on Highway fifty nine in Porter, Texas And all you have to do is go to rock N maulch r O c K the letter N and then mulch rock the letter in and maultch all one word dot com rockinmultch dot com. If you do slash delivery on the end. You can book your order there or here's a phone number. Why don't we do it this way? Two eight one three five four nineteen five fifty two eight one three five four one nine five zero. They're open from seven am to three pm two day. They're closed tomorrow and during the week Monday through Friday, seven am to four pm. Again. This is a special deal, the one yard Cuber super Sack. You get the sack and the age leaf mol compos one qbic yard of it for ninety nine bucks. Boy Bear jump on that one. We're going to go now to Meadows Place and talk to Jim. Hey Jim, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 4: Hello Skiff, thank you.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: Saint Augustine Yard, been following your schedule. Everything was looking good.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: I was watering once a week with a with a good soap. The grass in the front yard. The blades are turning brown. It's not it's not take all or round patch. And I started with the barricade and the eagle fund you side got that down and was going to apply the fertilizer today. Question with adding with adding bug out max and as amite help this time of the year. Are is that a waste of money? Now? And wait till the spring.
Speaker 2: There there is no pest to put the bug out for now. There's no reason to put bug out now. None of the lawn pests are active now. But the asmite. You know, anytime, if you haven't done it in the past year, I would go ahead and do the asamite.
Speaker 4: Also, I did it last fall. Was the last time I used it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you can do it again now. You can do it again now, you know, in the absence of a soil test to see what exactly you needed. There's nothing wrong going ahead and doing that again now. But as far as the browning, I think you're fertilizing a little bit of water is gonna is gonna help out. Just make sure and use a fall fertilizer.
Speaker 4: You know, not right, I've got that ready to go in summer.
Speaker 2: All right, i'd like you're ready to go.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the information. Have a great day, Jim.
Speaker 2: Thanks good luck with getting that lawn in top top shape. Plants for All Seasons is at really just north of Luetta on Highway two forty nine, Tomball Parkway, just north of Luetta right there on two forty nine. The website is Plants for All Seasons dot com. Here's the phone number two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six one six four six. This family operated business. Will you you heard me talk about them. You go in there and any question you have, they're going to build an trick. Go in there, and any plant that you need that grows here, they're gonna point you to it. They're going to tell you how to take care of it. And I mean, if you want to go in there, maybe there's plenty you didn't buy from them. Just go in there and ask them a question about it and they'll help you. And they may they may tell you, well, here, here's one of the problems. Is you need this product or that plant. Here's a plant to replace it with a maybe not. They've got all the stuff you hear me talk about when it comes to fall fertilizing and weed prevention and all of that plans for all seasons. Been doing this since nineteen seventy three. And it's because they know what they're doing. Let's take care of their customer. I'm gonna take a little break here, Mike and Surfside. You will be first when we come back.
Speaker 1: R H Garden Line with scared Rickards.
Speaker 14: Just watching.
Speaker 16: Alrighty folks, let's just jump right in here and get going on this next hour on Garden Line.
Speaker 2: We're glad you're listening this morning. And if you are one of the people that are shy and don't like to call in, or maybe I don't know, just never have why not call in today? Like to talk to you our phone number seven one three two to one two kt r H seven one three two one two kat r H. For those of you down in league City and all of the surrounding communities. I want to tell you about your hometown feed store. I'm talking about League City Feed now, oh coming to Reale, Clare, Lake City, Baycliff, Webster, Lamark, San Leone, Dickinson, Santa Fe, all of those communities, that whole region down there. This is your feed store now. They are open from Monday through Saturday from nine to six. Closed on Sunday. They'll be closed tomorrow, but today Monday through Saturday nine to six, So you can swing by after work during the week or today, it'd be a good time to go buy. When you get there, you're going to find your fall fertilizers that I keep telling you about. You're going to find things to control pests and weeds and diseases. Do you need to get out there and get a premergant down or something They can get you fixed up at League City Feed. You know, the Thunderbergs have been running this store since it's been over forty years ago that the store was originally built. And when you go in there, you get the old fashioned service. They carry the bags out for you. You know it's you. It's that traditional feed store. Maybe I don't know maybe you grew up and your parents or somebody, grandpa or something took you to a feed store. That's that feel that that is just a night I love. I love going in feed stores. I love the everything from just the aroma of a feed store. I just I just think that's cool stuff. Well, this this is that kind league city feed. They take care of you. They got the products you need. What more do you want? If you want to give them a call to eight one three three two sixteen twelve two eight one three three two one six one two. We're going to go now to surf side and talk to Mike. Hello, Mike, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks Skip, I you got a question for you. I've got some gorgeous eggplant bushes loaded down with blooms, but the fruit's not setting. I'm curious to see, you know, being being the time of the year, going in the fall, should I just go ahead and pull these plants up and go in with my fall crop? You know, the spinach, the kale, turn ups, mustard. What do you think? You know?
Speaker 2: It's it's a tough call. We're getting late enough now to wear for even if fruits sat today for them to reach a stage harvestable stage is kind of iffy because if we get some cooler weather in here, it's going to slow them down, and then they slow down to the point essentially not moving along at all. I don't know. If they were mine and they had a few fruit on some, I may leave one and you know, then try to plant the rest sort of head your bet, or you could just pull them out and move on. It's time to come the other stuff in? Yeah, what has happened to the other stuff in?
Speaker 7: What happened?
Speaker 4: They went under salt water? You know when we had the most recent hurricane, and they were under smalt water for I don't know three or four days, lost all their leaves, and I figured they were dead. What do you know, they start They just turned up to be beautiful plants. My okre did the same thing, lost all the leaves. I thought they were gonners. I've got more ocre than I've ever had right right.
Speaker 2: Now, So we'll good, good, good for you.
Speaker 4: I don't know the salt water helped them out or not, but it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Well appreciate something, right, all right. We'll take care and have have fun. Have fun in the garden there, Mike, all right, bye bye. That's that's funny. You know, plants sometimes surprise you.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a natural instinct in plants when not not every plant all the time, but basically when a plant is about to die, for example, it will often set more fruit than normal. I've seen that with peaches. You know, where a peach tree is struggling, going down, and all of a sudden, it just sets a lot of fruit. It's almost like a survival thing. Got to keep the species going. You know, We've got to get a lot of seeds out there because I'm about to croak. I don't know exactly what the plant's thinking, but I'll tell you that that is not unusual to see. I was talking about, but plants fall seasons. A little bit before we went to that last break, and I forgot to tell you this. They've got some beautiful fall bulbs, like the amarillas bulbs you know, have the beautiful giant trumpets on them. You can plant them in the garden. You can use them for forcing or something. They've got those, They got the paper whites in that are looking good. And they also have got a stock of strawberries and they got some in a couple of weeks ago that are just beautiful little plants. Now's the time to get your strawberries planet. So if you thought about putting in, you know a few strawberries in the garden, or you can put them in as long as you got a sunny flower bed, you can plant them in there if you want. Strawberries planted in the fall are the best because by the time we get past this brunt of the winter, they'll be producing and carry you all the way into May. So plunch fall season's got you set up on those as well. Nitrofoss has their three step program and the three steps are fertilizer, weed prevention and disease prevention. Fertilizer weed prevention, disease prevention. If you're going to do those processes any or all, now is the time you have to get it done. And here's why. Fertilizer is the Nitrofoss Fall Special designed for fall. It's got the balance of nutrients. It's on my schedule. It's on my schedule if you go to gardening with Skip dot com. It's got that blend of nutrients that helps a plant go into fall, produce the carbohydrates to have more cold heartiness, and to come out stronger in the spring. It also that part of the three step program is the barricade. That's a weed pre emergent. I use the baseball analogy because it works for me, maybe it makes sense to you. That is that if you're going to hit a baseball, you got to start swinging before the ball gets the plate. And when the picture let's go of the ball pretty quick, then your bat better start moving the pictures thrown the ball. When it comes to weeds, when we get a call front and little rain, those weed seeds are going to come up. The fall weed seeds that's clover and hand bit and chickweed and cleavers and carpet weed and just a bunch of them that we see in the spring. Okay, they're sprouting. Now you've got to get the pre emergent barricade down before they sprout. Put it down, watered in a half inch of water. There you go. Third step disease prevention. Brown patch is coming. It will arrive. Some yards have it real bad, some yards don't have it. There's a variation in that. But fall is when you see the big brown circles, and if you're going to prevent them, you got to get ahead of time, right, That's called prevention. Once the brown circles appear, they're gonna stay brown no matter what you spray on them, because they've already killed the grass blades. AND's wait until it warms up to regrain. So get it down now. Not fruss eagle turf fung just side now one two three fall special barricade eagle turf fung aside. Those are the three steps. You can get it at Bear Bearing's Hardware, the one on Best and on West Teimer, all spa Ace in the Woodlands Lake Hardware and Angleton and in Lake Jackson, and you can find them at RCW Nursery as well. Folks, Time for a break. I'll be right back list today if you'd like to give us a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H A simple as that. Well, let's see here I wanted to I wanted to talk a little bit about RCW Nursery as we get going in in this next segment. R CW is the garden center that is where Hiway two forty nine Tomball Parkway comes into belt wag eight. RCW nursery is always a place to go to get whatever you need, Like right now, do you need fall vegetables? Do you need beautiful color like crotons and and annual flowers? Do you need? What do you need?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: They are having a really really nice I think, really really nice deal going on in terms of shrubs and trees and things like that. All trees fifteen percent off fifteen percent off, so you know fall is the time to plant those things. Well, they've got you covered and they grow on themselves up at the Williams Tree Farm up in Plantersville, Texas. But do you need like a beautiful shumard red oak or maybe add blanchard southern magnolia. Gosh, those things are quarridous. They've got that up there. They have many many other trees too, and shrubs and they always have a good selection of roses at RCW. Well, I won't tell you this next Saturday. Next Saturday, I'm going to be there for their fall Fling next Saturday RCW Nursery. That's the twenty sixth of October. I'll be there from twelve noon to two pm. They're going to have barbecue lunch. They're gonna have prizes and sales and games. We're gonna be giving away some stuff there while I'm there again there right there, We're two forty nine and Tomball Parkway. Come together. Easy to get to r CW Nurseries dot com. That's how you can find out more. Put her on your calendar next Saturday, come out and see me there. Look forward to visiting with you. This past week, I did a lot of traveling, actually went out of state, and I was like, when I traveled to go see, you know what's beautiful in that area. I was out in North Carolina and you know, just looking at garden centers and looking you know, I always go to arboreatams and places like that when I get a chance. But I tell you, I say this all the time here. You don't know how fortunate you are in the greater Houston area with the kinds and numbers of garden centers that we have. I you know, I was out in the Raleigh and Durham and what's the other town in that triple City's Raleigh Durham, not Wait Forest. Anyway, I was at a that triangle and there's a great arboretum, the Ralston Arboretum in Raleigh, but when it came to garden centers, it is like, what that that's not gardens. I mean, you come here, north, south, east, West, and Central, we have garden centers that you would want to take your family too. When they visit, you know, it's like, Okay, we're having a good time, but jump in the car. I want to show you something. That's the kind of garden centers.
Speaker 4: We have here.
Speaker 2: And really we are really really fortunate in that, and I hope you take advantage of that. I mean, no matter where you live, there is an outstanding garden center not too far from you. And I know a lot of people that kind of do the horticultural tourism, meaning they'll cross all the way to other side of town just to go see something different, you know, just to go see something new. And that's cool. That's fortunate to be here. So anyway, that just something I observed again and I said it before, But you go to San Antonio, some good guard garden centers, Austin some good garden centers, Dallas some good garden centers, but not as many, and not every kind of garden center you can imagine. No, Like you're really into native plants, or you're really really into I don't know, you fill in the blank. There's gonna be a garden center that covers that in our area. Anyway. I'm just bragging about our garden centers because they are outstanding. You know, when I talk about plants, I always tell you that the foundation you set for the plant is at least as important, if not more important, than the plants you put in. Now, it's important to plant adapted plant, but it's most important to get the soil right. Brown stuff before green stuff. Brown stuff's the soil. Green stuff's the plant right. Okay. Landscaper's Pride has got an array of products that'll give you the brown stuff. Their compost ped is made from local screen pine excellent soil dave. It improves the structure of the soil and adds those essential organic materials that do break down in time and feed your plant and make the soil better. They got a planting mix it so it's called planting mix from Landscaper's Pride. Locally sourced pine barks, got some sandy loams, soil in it and organics. It would be really good for you know, filling in some areas and bringing that bed level up if you will. If your beds sunk down, which they do in time, mix some planting mix in and bring it up and it would do really, really well. It's good for pretty much anything you want a plant and then black velvet malt. You know it's not blazing hot anymore. People think, well, it's hot, I have to melt. Well, it's cool. You have to melt. Malt keeps weed seeds from coming through. Maltch moderates soil temperature. Malt prevents rain from causing erosion or crusting or compaction. Black velvet malts, it's beautiful, it's naturally black, and it works really well. Every month is a good month to put down black velvet malts from Landscapers Pride. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com find out where you can find it near you, and the answer is going to be pretty much everywhere. It's widely available. You can also follow Landscaper's Pride on social media and as they say, let's grow something together. That's Landscaper's Pride. If you'd like to give us a call, our phone number is seven to one three two one two kt R eight seven one three two one two kt R h I'm going to be heading back to the phones here in just a little bit. I wanted to mention you've heard me talk about Quality Home products. They're generators, for example. I talked about those a lot this summer with the two storms we had that knocked out power for what seemed like forever in each of the two storms. A lot of people now want generators and have been, and Quality Home is actually hiring. If you are a licensed electrician or plumber, electrician or plum that's licensed, you need to give them a call. You can go to their website QUALITYTX dot com, qualitytx dot com and there you can apply, and you should. Every time I've talked to someone at Quality Home, I'm usually talking to them about their products and what they have and how does this work and all of that, But I just pick up from them they love working there. I mean, this is a place people really enjoy working. They take pride in empowering homeowners with dependable solutions for not just power but also for water quality in what they have. And when you go to work for Quality Home, you're going to get competitive pay, comprehensive medical dental vision. They have a retirement plan that they match for one k paid holidays and time off. They got really good training programs because it is their goal to make sure that when you go to somebody's house, you are top notch and trained to do exactly what needs to be done to make sure that per and is satisfied with what happens. That's how they work. That's why they have fourteen thousand and five star reviews. Quality Home Again. If you are an electrician or plumber, license qualitytx dot com, go check out maybe apply there online. All right, I'm going to go to Spring, Texas and we're going to talk to Lance.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Hello Lance, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 17: Good mornings, Thank you very much, and good morning to you.
Speaker 7: Skip.
Speaker 4: I've got a question for you today.
Speaker 17: I remember trying to well, this thing's kind of like part of the family. I've got a naval orange tree that barely serve. It was almost twenty feet high, makes navals beside naval oranges larger than softballs. I mean they were really nice and sweet and wonderful, and every year, and I've been keeping this thing for like twenty years, but every year I would cover it with a parachute and then put you know, a surplus parachute and cover it and then put some high pressure sodium lights under it to keep it warm. And unfortunately last year the wind managed to whip up the edge of them, or not last year on big freeze it the wind got under it and froze it back to right at the right at the graph line, and I started nursing it back because I couldn't really tell am I above it? I'm below it? I actually think now last year I got a few oranges and they were small, But this year it's looking pretty good, and they're they're probably they're larger than baseballs now, and they normally I harvest them around December. They're kind of a late late planet, I guess. But my question is how do I distinguish I mean, it's right at the graph I guess. Question one is if I've got a native root growing amongst the good shootes, will there be any transfer of that native fruit? I don't know what you would call it into the new fruit there?
Speaker 5: I mean, you.
Speaker 17: Follow me, the natural will it affect the quality of the orange that I've got hanging? And then the second question is how do you distinguish I mean, I've got some shootes with oranges on them.
Speaker 7: And I've got some shoes that don't.
Speaker 17: Have oranges on them, and they're an echine diameter. I mean, they've gotten pretty good sized.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do I do?
Speaker 2: All right? So here here's the answer. The answer to the question of is the rootstock gonna transfer something into the fruit? Now, it won't do that. The shoots coming up are either rootstock or they're your naval oranges. And if you got oranges on them last year, those are definitely the naval orange, because the rootstock will produce little, tiny, bitter fruit that doesn't come close to comparing to the sizing and quality of a naval orange. Typically, the rootstocks are much thornier too. That that is okay. Some types of citrus are naturally thorny more so than others, but rootstocks are very thorny, and so I think you would know. The other thing is when you look at the rootstock, if instead of having single leaves, it's got leaves and clusters of three that are smaller. Okay, clusters of three that are smaller, that's a sign of a rootstock also. But sounds like, at least in part, you're back in business with the naval.
Speaker 17: Large yeah, I think I am, because if anything, the questionable limbs that I was concerned about are actually large. I mean they're not, and the leaves are very.
Speaker 7: They're they're good size, good size leaves.
Speaker 17: But I'll look for clusters at three and if I see that, shall just leave the tree alone. I mean I can go put some survey ors marking flagging on them or something and then cut them later.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I would let them at this point. I'd let them sit until the underwinter to not to stimulate growth by pruning. But but at that time, cut them off as close to the base as you can. And I've got to run there telling me it's commercial time here, but good luck with that. And as always on garden line lands, the advice is free. I just asked for half the produce that you get.
Speaker 7: We got about twenty there, so we'll let you know. Thank you much.
Speaker 2: All right, You take care, you take care, all right, folks, I'll be right back. Let's do this. Let's do some garden line today. We've got a lot of questions we need to answer, and I have some comments I would like to make just to help you as to what do we need to be worrying about and doing right now. One thing we need to be doing right now, not worrying about, but doing, is getting down our fall fertilization and Microlife has got you covered with their brown patch. Microlife brown patch, now that is not a fungicide. That is a fertilizer for fall. It's designed for fall. The ratio nutrients is right for fall. But it's a fertilizer that's chock full of microbial content to help fight against problems. You know, there are good microbes and there's bad microbes. There are microbes that fight disease. There's a lot of different things out there in the world that we have just in the last few decades begun to learn more and more about. And one of the things is that when you have a population covering a plant surface of good microbes, it's very difficult for a disease sport Land and to establish successfully. Microlife brown patch is a good fall fertilizer. Get it down soon. You need to get it down. It's going to decompose away and release those nutrients to your grass to get it ready for fall and for coming out strong in the spring too. I would follow that up with Microlife bio inoculant. Now, that is a maroon burgundycuter maroon bag. Bioinoculon has sixty three different strains of microbes. For example, it's got Bacilli subtlest. Bacillis subtlest is a natural in fact that you can buy Basilli subtlest in a bottle as a fungicide. It's got bacillis. Okay, are you ready for this nerd alert amelo licopations Bacillis amelo licopations. These bacillis are like bt that kills caterpillars, but these kill fungus, they do, and it's got sixty three of them. I just gave you two Microlife products are widely available. Microlife Fertilizer dot com. That is the website if you want to find out where you can get some yourself, and I hope you do. We're going to go to clue leg now and talk to Mario. Hello Mario, and welcome to garden.
Speaker 5: Hey, kif you've been great for me, I really appreciate you. Hey, I have a couple of questions. You already answered one a moment ago about Paul fertilizer. But the other question, a related question, is I still have some weeds and I'm wondering if I can put both down today. That was my plan, but I don't want to do something that's gonna have a problem with the grass.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so you've got weeds any Are there any little flowering weeds that you see a couple?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not a lot of those.
Speaker 2: Down, Okay, So anything with a flower on it, a post emergent weed control is not going to knock it out. And plus it's probably already made seed. So even if you kill them, you still got the seed. As much as you can pull those out and put them in a five gallon bucket and get them out of there, throw them in the trash, that is saving you a lot of headaches next year. So I different people have different ability to get on hands and knees and do that, and different time availability, but that is something for weeds that are flowering and have and seed. Now, as far as killing weeds post emergently, the brown, the warm season weeds are pretty much at a stage where it's going to be very difficult to kill them anyway. But now's when you would put down the pre emergent because all the cool season weeds will be germinating really soon. And down there in Clare Lake, all you need to get is a little cold front and some some rain, and you're gonna have to eat sprouting everywhere. So don't don't delay on getting down your barricade application. If you have not done one, if you've done one since spring then or since summer, don't don't do another one?
Speaker 5: And but can I do them together, the fertilizer and the uh, the pre emergence, Okay, great, can don't.
Speaker 2: Don't don't put the yeah, don't put them in the hopper at the same time, because particle size is different on those two. Yeah, but one then turn on, load up and do the other one same day, same time. Yes, go for it.
Speaker 5: Okay, great, your thanks bye bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks bye bye. Good looking that line and tiptop shape our phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Buchanan's Native Plants in the Heights is it's just a fun place to go. If you haven't been there, maybe you live some distance awayta you gotta consider it that it'd be a good outing today or tomorrow afternoon. Maybe get out. They are loaded up with pumpkins. When I was there a few weeks ago, Oh my gosh. And when I say pumpkins, I'm talking about pumpkins and gourds and every kind of weird, gnarly looking thing we put on our tables to decorate for Thanksgiving all the way to pumpkins for carving, or pumpkins for making pie, or the what they call the fairy tale pumpkin. It's kind of an almost pinkish orange kind of squatty thing. I guess it looks like Cinderella's coach probably, But anyway, they got mums there. They've got beautiful, beautif full house plants, just unbelievable fall vegetables. Of course it's Buchanans. They got native plants. They specialize in native plant You're not gonna find a better place to get a variety of Nati plants anywhere in the region of the Buchanans. Nati plants in the Heights. They're on Eleventh Street there in the Heights. And fall is for planting. So you know, I've been saying this all fall. I guess I'll keep saying it for a while. But you can plan any month of the year here in the Greater Houston area, you pretty much can. If in summer it's harder. You got to kind of touch and go water them. Just live it, not too much. Fall is so easy. You put them in the ground, you give them a good soaking, maybe a little bit more here and there, but just don't delay. You're giving your plants a head start. And listen, do you remember summer? Remember this summer, Like every summer, it is hard to be a plant. And so why not get the roots in the ground now and let them get growing. You know, roots of plants will grow. And when the temperature is even in the low fifties. Uh, And so they are slowly establishing. And I tell you you get a head start. And plus there's some good deals on plants now, so fall planting. That's it again. Buchanan Street, eleventh Big Cannon Street. Buchanan's Native Plants on Eleventh Street in the Heights. Here's the website. Go there, check it out, look at the educational materials and sign up for their newsletter. Buchanansplants dot com. Buchanans Plants dot com. Buchanan Street. Maybe they should name eleventh Street Buchanan Street that would be a good idea, all right, listening to garden Line. My phone number is seven to one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two.
Speaker 9: K t r H.
Speaker 2: I stocked up my bird feeders yesterday and I had some hummingbird feeders that were kind of kind of yeh, been out a little bit too long because I went on a trip for a week. Well, came in, cleaned them all up. They're ready to go back out. You know, you put hummingbird feeders out because sometimes you'll get a hummingbird or too that just hangs around. There are some that are doing that now. They'll hang around here during the cool season. So you can put a feeder out if you'd like to do that. But right now, what you need to know is that the Wile Birds is going to be the place where you get everything you need for birds. That's a quality. They're feeders are quality. I have more than one, and they are excellent bird houses. And when it comes to bird seed, listen, they they bag seed that goes into bird's stomachs. And you think, well, doesn't everybody know you buy a cheap bird seed that's full of red bebes and the birds kick it out, and then you got these weeds coming up on the ground below them. They the bird seed blends that are cheap are cheap. Okay, that's just the best way to put it. And I don't mean inexpensive, I mean cheap, and it just makes sense with wild birds. They even have a no mess seed, which means like if you buy sunflower seeds, which birds love, they go crazy over that. Well they don't. They shell the sunflowers before they put them in the seed, so it's like one no mess. It's excellent products. I use their seed myself. The birds love it. I should go outside right now and bring them in here so they can tell you themselves. Because my birds love the seed from Wildbirds. I love it at six stores in the Houston area. Go to WBU dot com, forward slash Houston, and there you go. That's all you need to do to find one of the six Wallbirds stores near you. Time for a break, I'll be right back. Welcome back to garden Line. We are here to answer your gardening questions. So all you have to do is give me a call. It's seven one three two one two kt rh on three two one two kt r H I wanted to tell you a little bit about Cienamulch. I talk about them all the time because they are an outstanding source of I'll just say this, the brown stuff the foundation for success with plants. When you go to see in a Malts, you need things like, you know, a quality soil like a rose soil or maybe maybe heirloom soils, veggie nerb nex. They carry that there. One of the products from Landscaper's pride, like the black velvet for example. They carry that. There lots of different options from maltz to soil, to compost, to sand, to gravel to stone palletts. You're gonna put a little patio in your backyard, you need to stop in see an A malt You're open Monday through Friday, seven thirty to five today seven thirty to two. Closed on Sunday. So here's your chance today to go buy there. Pick up some stuff there at FM five twenty one, which is near where Highway six and two eighty eight come ge, just north of road sharing the website just write this down Sienna Maltz dot com, Sienna Maltz dot com, that whole region down south of Houston. This is your place. They deliver within about oh twenty miles or so with for a small fee. And when you're in there, part of the brown stuff also grabs some fertilizer. And if you hear me talk about a fertilizer, it's at Sienna Moltz. They got microlife, They've got asamite, they got Nelson's, they got heirloom soils, they got nitrophoss, they got Medina products and I said, Landscaper's pride products there And you know people that know what they're doing. They use me Cnamal's like BMB turf Pros for example, they do the compos stop dressing. They use c Animals products for that because they know it's a quality product. You're not going to go wrong with Cienamalts. You can buy it bulk, you can buy it by the bag. But whatever you do, go buy there and buy it. And I'll tell you this, you are not going to be treated better at any place than you are at Cenatz. They're friendly, they're helpful. They just just if you ever said I go I'm going to a mulch place because I want to have fun, well you can say that about Ciana Mount. Every time I go by there. I just leave feeling good. I enjoy enjoy visiting with the folks and just just seeing the quality products that they have there at Sanna Mulch. Brown stuff before green stuff. So get some. They will get you set up for success. Out well in Kingwood, way out and those are you in Kingwood. Don't think you're wet in Kingwood, but those in Houston. Yeah, out there in Kingwood not too far away. Actually, nice little drive. Warrens Southern Gardens, Kingwood Garden Center, both of those are outstanding places to go visit. You know, they're open seven days a week, so it makes it really easy to get out there. Warren's is on North Park Drive, Kingwood Garden Centers on Stone Hollow Drive. Right now, they are having something called a Pansy's Party. And here's what that means. A teen four inch pansies. That's a full flat. You got to buy the whole full flat, eighteen four inch pots full of pansies. Twenty four nine now through November three. It's time to get that done. They've got fertilizer that you want to get when you get your pants. You want to mix that into the soil and plant your pansies. Watered in really good, and then as they begin to grow, fertilize them again. You got to push those things. You got to get growth, and oh my gosh, they will bloom, bloom bloom. We just pansies. Don't even think we have winter done here. They're so called party. They also have some special low prices on some bed mixes and composts and other things. If you want to oversee your lawn, they have Rye grass in stock right now for doing that. They have Emerald Rellis bulbs in stock, lots of veggies, beautiful moms, something else. When you're out there at Warren's, join their newsletter. They've got special coupons and offers, especially their monthly lawn care coupons. You can do that on their website. You can do that by going into the store, or you can do that by just give them a call on the phone. Either way you go about it. Join the newsletter there for information and some really good deals out there at Warren's Southern Gardens, And oh my gosh, the place is gorgeous right now. Fun, fun day to get out and go do that. It's one of those destination garden centers you just love to go visit and all of you over there are Kingwood and Mbol and New Caney, Porter, Splendora, that whole part of the region. It's just down the street Warren's Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center. You're listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we have got got a little bit of time here. If you'd like to give us a call, we can probably fit that in for we have to go at the top of the hour seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t RH. I want to remind you that today I'm going to be an enchanted forest from about eleven forty five to one forty five, somewhere in that rain time range. I'm getting there as close to eleven thirty as I can. Let's put it that way. I'll be doing Q and A. Come on out, let's visit. What is your question? Bring me samples for identity identifying, Bring me samples for diagnosing. We can do that. Put them in a little bag, plastic bags or nothing escapes. If you've got photos on your phone, bring those. You got a weed that you want control, pull it out, put it in a bag, or take a picture of it, but make sure it's a good, sharp, clear focus picture. I'll be there. I want to remind you. Debbie Ping, one of the staff members out there at in Chenna Forest, is going to be doing a shade plant lecture at ten o'clock today. So the minute I stop garden Line, the minute I shut up, Debbie starts talking. How about that? That's how that works. And then I'll be there about eleven forty five and we'll be doing that for at least a couple hours. Out there, I'm going to be giving away Medina products. Medina's given us some really qu giveaways by the way that we'll be providing. And while you're out there, leave room in the car because you are going to see an awesome selection of vegetables and herbs and annual color. If you can leave room for a shrub or a tree, they've got some outstanding selections out there, including fruit trees. By the way, out at Enchanted Forest. Now, Enchanted Forest is on FM twenty seven fifty nine. So if you were in Richmond, you're heading up towards sugar Land, towards Houston sugar Land direction, you turn to the right. They're on FM twenty seven to fifty nine. Okay, so come on down and see me. If you've never been there, I don't care where you live in town. You need to swing by and check this place out. It is really really cool and I'll be giving away those Medina products. By the way, while I'm talking about Medina, Medina Plus is kind of like a Cadillac product that they produce. You know, you've known about Medina Soil Activator for a long time. It'scot where I don't know, a zillions, ten bazillion different kinds of microbes and other ingredients that help stimulate plant growth. Well, Medina Plus also has over forty trace elements. So take Medina Soil Activator and you know, enhance it with over forty different trace elements. Things like CID of cainans that's a natural growth hormone. Seaweed extract is where you get that magnesium, iron, zinc, and just I can't name them all, a lot of different things. You're going to increase blooming, you're going to increase the fruit set and leaf growth if you're going to transplant. And I hope it's fall, I mean I hope it's fall. I hope you'll transplant trees and shrubs and vegetables and herbs, everything you put in the ground. Just get your watering can, put some Medina Plus in it, mix it up according to the label and drench it over the plank, get it on the foliage, get it on the roots especially, soak it down into the soil. It's going to do really well, and it just helps your plants hit the ground running. That's at least the way I like to put it. You can use it as a folder if you want too foldier sprays. It's not going to burn plants. Medina Plus want of mini products from the folks at Medina and follow us for planting. And if you're going to plant, you got to get some of the Medina Plus water in with that. Just keep it on your shelf because you're going to want to do foldier feeding, You're going to want to water plants in whenever you plant them. It's just a good product to have, so always keep it around. It's not just like something on the schedule that like, oh you only use Medina Plus. If no, you were twelve minths out here, makes it well that hour went fast. Huh oh, well, we'll be right back. We got another couple hours in us here. I hope you will hang around. Give us a call seven one three two one two KTRH. If you call soon enough, you need the very first up. When I come back from the break, just again, Enchanted four TuS today. Get in your car head down there. I'm going to get there as close to eleven thirty as I can, and I'll be there answering your gardening question. So come on out and see me. Let's visit. I always like to meet listeners face to face, you know, on garden Line. I got a few minutes that I can talk with you and answer a question to get to some other question.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: But when you come out to an appearance like this today, we have eye eye time is what they call it FaceTime, and we can visit. I may even walk over and point you to a plant and discuss some other things like that when we're there at Enchanted Forest FM twenty.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Scip Richard.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as many a side.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, welcome back to Jardenline. It is good to be back with you. We got lots to talk about and I want to get right to it. So first thing I wanted to mention to you is if you have not done your fall fertilization, the folks at Nelson have you covered with a nice combo product. And what do I mean by that? What it's called carbo load. Carbo load. Why carbo load because it is the blend of nutrients for fall fertilization that helps that plant produce carbohydrates. Sunlight on leaves with good nutrition equals carbohydrates. Carbohydrates equal cold hardiness, carbohydrates equal stronger growth in the spring, simple as that carbo load does just that carboload also contains a pre emergent herbicide, so you do not want to delay putting it down. Get it done a sap. All we need is the cold front and some rain, and we're gonna have weeds sprouting all over the place for cool season. That'll be big and messy in the spring. That's that's when you really notice them. But they sprout now. So get carbo load down, watered in about half inch of water, get that into the surface and prevent those weeds heats from getting started. So it's kind of like a two pack punch here. We got carbo load with the nutrients, the perfect blend of nutrients with the pre emergent harbicide all in one, watered in all from the folks at Nelson, part of their turf star Line carbo load for fall. I'm going to head now, excuse me, head now out to Galveston, Texas, and we're going to talk to John. Hello, John, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Hello, Mitch, how are you this morning?
Speaker 7: Super good?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and Midge. We have been gone a couple months. Excuse me, skip that, pardon me, had been gone a couple months, and when we got back here about ten days ago, I noticed some brown patch in front in my front yard. So I treated with a product that nitroposs recommended, Eagle point three ninety six. I can see. I think that brown spot is maybe expanding or worsening because places where the grass is completely dead, you recommended a product of a few minutes ago brown spot. Would you double dose? Would you put that over the top of that? Would you do nothing? Would you double dose with Eagle?
Speaker 2: If you put Eagle out at the right rate and followed the instructions, you don't need to do it again. It's there. It's a systemic. It gets in the soil that if you water it in, it gets in the soil and it it actually is taken up by the roots as well as being taken up by the fold. And what happened is brown patch. You know, the conditions were right, and so it started infecting and then you put the eagle down and then you saw more damage. It's because it was already infecting in that other area and the brown patches are just appearing. That's why we always try to get it in ahead of time. But it should stop additional brown patch infection for you. Now, those brown spots, they're going to sit there and in spring they'll regrown, regrow, regreen. Brown patch doesn't kill grass, but it does make it look ugly.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Yeah, you've done.
Speaker 2: You've done all you can do.
Speaker 9: So in terms of the rest of the yard, and it's been treated. But this little patch where I have brown potch is only about it's only about twenty four feet. Would you just dig that out and throw in new grass maybe in a month or so so kind of kitches.
Speaker 2: No, No, your grass would be fine. And the grass is not going to grow in this cool upcoming cool weather and stuff, So you're good. Just you know, just ignore the brown for now, and it will they will. It will come back when we warm up a little bit in the spring.
Speaker 9: And Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John, good luck with that down there in Galveston. Appreciate your call, all right, folks. That's how that works. It's as simple as that. You know. In Chenne Gardens down there in Richmond is one of our destination garden centers. You know, we love love going to visit places like in Channa Gardens. They are on three fifty nine. That's the Katie Fulsher side of Richmond. So if you're in Richmond, you're heading toward Katie Fullsher direction. Well, that's find FM three fifty nine and that's when you find in Chenny Gardens. If you want to make it simple on yourself, just go to the website Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. They had an event there just I don't know, a day or so ago. It was called the Harvest Hound Event and people brought in their dogs, kind of dressed them up a little bit and put them with pumpkins and mums and things like that. Just go to their Facebook page and look at the pictures. It's great. That was great. You can do that. Bring your kids in. They've got the pumpkin house. This is just a whole wall, exterray wall full of pumpkins. They've got all kinds of great. Let's just save photographic spots for your photogenic children. How about that? And you too, By the way, adults can do I think it's just allowed for adults to do that as well. While you're out there, you're going to find everything you want to find it a nursery in the fall time, from plants of course, to the things to help plants grow, like the kinds of fertilizers you hear me talk about on garden Line, things I recommend on Guardline. You're going to find it enchanted gardens. They are open today Monday through Saturday, actually eight to five and tomorrow ten to four. Either day. Good time to get out to enchanted gardens and enjoy yourself. I love those dog pictures. Let's go to West U and we're going to talk to Charlie. Hey, Charlie, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 6: I've got some bugs on hibiscus and I set some photos in.
Speaker 9: Did you.
Speaker 2: Uh, I've got it here I'm pulling them up. Let's see here, give me just one second, okay, let's talk. Tell me, tell me about the history on this thing.
Speaker 6: Oh yesterday, when did you first see them?
Speaker 4: Okay, yesterday? Well, well my wife said I got some bugs there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, mostly what I see are where aphids used to be. I'm sure you got some aphids still on it. I see a few, But all those little white, shrivelly looking things, those are the skins of aphids. Aphids. Just like a snake sheds its skin, aphids shed their skin. And so you see all these little white, dried things. That's that's nothing to work about it. It's just like the dead, empty skin of an aphid. Uh, I don't see many. If you wanted to blast it with some water, maybe just get a good stream and blast it from all angles. I think that would be fine. The answer there, because they're helping take care of the aphis answer dairy farmers and aphids are dairy cattle. That's how that works.
Speaker 6: Okay, So yeah, I can blast it with water, or I can just kind of let then take care of them.
Speaker 2: Maybe, well, well they actually they're they're promoting the aphids. They take care of them. And stuff. So uh, the ants aren't doing you any good, but I would blast it with water just to get a few of them off. But in general you don't have a big problem to worry about there.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Uh, well.
Speaker 6: More question please if you get time of Yeah, you have new side has been there. This is the fourth week now and anyway, it's not going to grow much in a cool wather. Okay, do I need the water? It's been so dry in Houston as rain there for.
Speaker 2: Just a good soaking a couple times a week for now, and then after about two or three weeks you can back off and we won't worry about it for fall once it cools off a little bit, don't worry about Hey, I got a run for a break here. But thank you for the for the call, Charlie, appreciate that. All right, folks, I'll be right. Welcome back to guard Line. Glad you are with us today. We've got lots of things we need to be covering today and when we get into your calls here in just a moment, if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two five eight seven four Spring Creek feed is just let's think of it as Magnoia northeast of tom Ball direction on twenty nine seventy eight FM twenty nine seventy eight. It is your hometown feed store up there, and boy is it ever a feed store. Beautiful beautiful place.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 2: You walk in and it's like, wait a minute, did I walk into a feed store or a boutique. I mean, it says scot Lots of cool stuff, but when it comes to gardening. They got all the fertilizers, the full line of turf Star from Nelson, They got micro Life, they got nitroposs. They have things to control weeds or diseases or pasts. The staff there is friendly and they are courteous, and it's just it's a pleasure to shop there at Spring Creek Feed if you're an FFA or four H if you are were in the military, or or in the military, if you are a senior citizen. There's discounts for all of those groups there, and they can also special order products and they do offer a delivery service at well as well. Spring Creek Feed Center on FM twenty nine seventy eight. Just minutes away from gand Parkway and Highway to forty nine up there, in that area. Hey, I'm going to go now out to Steven and Steven it says you're in the Rio Grand Valley. Is that right?
Speaker 14: That's right?
Speaker 2: How you doing, I'm good, I'm good. How come you help it?
Speaker 14: Okay?
Speaker 19: So I recently moved to the valley and my front yard, I've got Japanese plum trees, the Japanese blueberry, I apologize, Japanese blueberry, and the sooty black mold on the trunk and the leaves, and it's starting to affect the other plants, the other shrubs in front of the house, and maybe even the grass underneath.
Speaker 9: M hmm.
Speaker 2: Well is growing. It's grown on a sugary substance that an insect is producing. There as several insects that can do that. It could be aphids, could be scale, could be mealy bugs, could be white flies. I mean, but it kind of doesn't matter what it is. The control is going to be the same. If you put a systemic insecticide down in the soil, you drench it into the soil, it will take it up and the plumbing of that plant will have the insecticide in it, and so anything sucking juices out of the plant, which is what's causing the city mold. Something sucking juices, It poisons them, and it kills them. That is the simplest way to go. You can also try using insecticidal soap spray's horticulture of oil sprays on a Japanese blueberry. It's hard to get good coverage, and with both the soap and the you have to coat the insect with the pesticide to kill it with the soap or the oil. So I would say for you and a Japanese blueberry, the best thing would be to use a systemic And I hear you have help there with you on the phone. Can I give you something to write down?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Absolutely, that's what I was gonna ask for.
Speaker 2: Do you have a suggestion, Yeah, I'm going to give you, like just a few letters of two different ingredients that either one would work. One is I am I do oh, I am I d oh. The full name is a metacloprid. But if you just go in and look for a systemic insecticide with I AM I d oh, that's the other ingredient. Different products is d I n O dino t e F dino TEF. Actually it's but either yeah, either a metacloprid or dinotephron. Just look for those first few letters. Only ingredients that only products that they begin with those letters. Okay, you don't need both one or the other, all right.
Speaker 14: And and I would I would treat the tree.
Speaker 19: I'll treating the ground all around the tree and the shrubs and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, right read the label. Basically, you're gonna mix it up and you're gonna drench it around the base of the tree. You didn't come out maybe three feet around the tree. But basically you're getting it into the soil for the roots to pick up. So it takes a quantity of water to get it down in there. This is also definitely a drudge.
Speaker 14: Got it is is also affecting my Saint Augustine.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's just whenever an insect produces honeydew, anything under the plant or or drifting out from that is going to get the city mold on it. I mean, you get city mold on a picnic table if it's underneath the tree. With these kind of insects.
Speaker 14: Okay, we also have a lot of leaves start falling.
Speaker 2: Off well, and that can happen a little drought stress if it gets dry and then finally range or you water it that they'll do that. Japanese blueberry will lose those old leaves. Sometimes they even turn a pretty red color before they fall off. But it's the older leaves and it's not you know it, it's not a sign that the tree is about to die or anything. That's just a stress response, and so I wouldn't I wouldn't worry about that. Just make sure that you keep them adequately moist.
Speaker 19: And one last question, how long you take uh to get back to read the benefit the benefits?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: It takes a few weeks for that to get down in the soil and then move up in the plant. But this isn't a life and thing. The trees. Okay, if you do nothing, the tree will live. It'll just be ugly. So uh yeah, just go ahead and get it done sooner rather than later. As it cools off, you know, the trees not taking up and moving water as fast and so it slows it down even more the results. But you should be all right, very good.
Speaker 14: All right, Hey, thanks very much, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks for the call. Take care, Yes, thanks Matte, good good to talk to you. All right. Here we go uh. Someone called earlier and asked about as you know, can I do am now? The answers no matter when you call me. The answers yes, January through December. You can do as anytime you want. It's a trace mineral supplement. Trace mineral supplement things that are needed in tiny quantities, but that are essential, So you don't put it out like a standard fertilizer where you're putting a whole lot out because it's you know, nitrogen, and fertilizer promotes growth and makes your long green, all that kind of stuff. Now, asimite is just put out in small quantities, like a forty four pound bag will cover six to twelve thousand square feet. Goes a long way. Don't overdo it. Follow the label, don't do that. If a teaspoons good or tablespoons better, do it at the right rate. Some micronutrient needed in micro amounts but essential as amite. You can go to asmite texas dot com find out more. If you have a vegetable garden, I would recommend doing it in there as well. About ten pounds per thousand square feet in a vegetable garden should be about right as a mite provides those essential nutrients that you need. Okay, I see what I was had something in my head that I was gonna talk about, and now my brain just went blank on it. Oh well, does that happened to you? Just not happen as much as it does now. Right. Moss Nursery down in Seabrook is one of those garden centers you got to go to. There's not another nursery in town that is like Moss Nursery. There's not. It is a destination nursery. It is eight acres of a gardener's paradise. This garden center has been around for a very long time, and people that are anywhere in that region. In fact, I know people from Crosstown that go down there to see it. That massive pottery selection, acres of every kind of plant you can imagine. Their house, bat plant greenhouse is outstanding and when you walk through, you're going to see all kinds of strange stuff. You know, Jim goes all over the world bring stuff back, African masks and mineral specimens and taxidermy mounts and even some old swords and things. I mean, you never know when you turn a corner what you're going to see at Moss Nursery. Their house plant greenhouse, as I said, is awesome. If you need plants for dark rooms, plants for bright rooms. If you're into succulents and cacti. You want something to stay small, you want something to get tall. Moss has got it and then some and right now it's time to plant woody ornamentals. They are loaded with woody ornamentals. It's time to put out color plants for fault. They're loaded for that. We're hitting the time now to put down our our actual coal season plants, you know, pansies and things like that. Moss is always going to have what's in season. They're at fifty five eleven Toddville Road in Seabrook's the Here's the website. Just go to the website Moss Nursery dot com. Here's how you spell it m a As Nursery dot com. I'm going to head now out to Lake City and talk to Jim. Hello Jim, Welcome to garden Lining.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Skip, Skip. I just have a question about the quantity of fertilizer and put out for thousand square feet of the nitrofoss eight twelve sixteen, and I think you had mentioned divide the first number into one hundred.
Speaker 2: For summer fertilizers. Yes, for summer, and that's to get the nitrogen level to a pound per thousand square feet. But in fall, we're not needing that much nitrogen, so you would drop that down a little bit. I would say, probably, I haven't looked at the bag recently. The bag should tell you exactly what to put out, but I would say you're probably looking at Hang on just a second, let me do probably about eight pounds of that per thousand square feet.
Speaker 10: Yes, well the bag does say six point six pounds per thousands.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. I was even overshooting it. Okay, yeah, yeah, go with that. Go with that. And it's because in fall we need a little nitrogen to go up with the potassium into the plant, but we don't want so much nitrogen that it stimulates a lot of late season growth. Then we run into brown patch issues being worse. So follow the label.
Speaker 10: I got you.
Speaker 4: That's what I know.
Speaker 10: You always said follow the label, and that's where I was coming in THEEAH confusion.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, that's it. Well you did the right thing. Thanks for calling to clarify that.
Speaker 10: Thanks for your help all right.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, bye bye. Our phone number is seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. I'm gonna take a little break here for a little bit of news and I'll be right back. Just want to remind you today after the show eleven thirty to one thirty eleven forty five to one forty five and Shanton Forest Garden Center down in the Richmond Rosenberg area on FM twenty seven to fifty nine, come out and see me. Welcome back to guard Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, we got some room on the phones if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two ATRH seven to one three two one two. KTRH is just visiting with Jim about the Nitroposs Fall Special fertilizer. That's the eight twelve six eight twelve six. Notice that first number is kind of low. That's what we want for fall. Nitrogen is important in being taken up with the potassium for fall cold heartiness. But you don't want to overdo the nitrogen. That's why we switched to false special the brown bag by Nitrofoss in the fall. It's part of their three step program. What are the three steps? Well, first the fall special fertilizer. Second the barricade preventative weed control. It prevents weed seeds from getting established. Doesn't kill existing weeds, it prevents them. But that's why you got to do it now, because cool season weeds are going to be germinating. In fact, they probably are in some places already. And then finally the third step is eagle turf fungicide that prevents the brown patch also called large patch, and the Takeollo route, which will also infact in the fall. If you look at my schedule, I say do that in October and do it again in November. I would do it twice for the take all, especially now for the brown patch. Just once is enough. But one, two, three, Fall Special barricade, Eagle turf funderside. All three together you can find them an Enchened Forrest down there in Richmond, Rosenberg. You're going to find it at Ace Hardware City, a Memorial Drive, Jim's Hardware, Montgomery, Stanton Shopping Center in Alvin, all places that carry that Texas three step by Nitrofoss. And it is time upset again. It is time to get all three done. Do not delay. When you're playing baseball, you don't wait until the catchers has the ball to start swinging, do you No, You swing ahead of time to get ahead of it. That's what you got to do with these three products. Get it done now. All righty, We're going to go to clear Lake now and talk to Ann. Hello, Anne, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning. I have a problem with my camellias. They have a bad case of powdery mildew.
Speaker 9: What can I do?
Speaker 2: Powdery mildew on camellias? Uh? Can you describe what you're seeing to me?
Speaker 11: It's just a white covering on the underside of the leagues.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, that doesn't sound like powdery. But anyway, any kind of a mildew or a fungus or something like that can be Yes, yeah, it didn't as a fungus.
Speaker 11: But okay, I did name oil. Yeah, I sprayed it twice with name oil and it didn't help at all.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't I don't think it's a funus. I think that's an insect thing. Here's what I need you to do, and I don't want to send you in the wrong direction. I need you to take some pictures. Pick a leaf off, set it on the table and take a good close picture, make sure it's in sharp focus, and then email it to me. If you need me to, I'll put you on hold and our producer will give you the email and let me see that picture. Maybe before the end of the day I can answer it. If not, I will tomorrow. Okay, all right, I'm putting you on hold and Chris is gonna pick it up. You bet. I'm gonna go now to Dickinson and talk to Less. Hello, les, Hey, how you doing. I'm well, thank you.
Speaker 14: A couple of questions quick.
Speaker 20: I'm looking for like a bible or something as far as literature on gardening and you know, step by step, you know, year round type deal.
Speaker 14: Do you recommend anything?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, a guy named Doug Welch wrote a Texas garden book that is excellent. Texas Gardening by Doug Welch. There is a guy named Neil Sperry up in Dallas that wrote a Texas garden book as well that is outstanding. I wrote one called month by Month Gardening in Texas. It's for the whole state, but it goes by section. You know what part of the state you do this, that and the other. That's more I how to care for your landscape, what to plant, what to fertilize, the wind to perune, all that kind of stuff. So all three of those books I think would would do a good job for what you're looking for.
Speaker 20: Okay, And I'm sure they're all on online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're online. You can find them in bookstores and online.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 20: Now, second question, like answer bugs in your fla in your vegetable beds instead of using I don't want to use any kind of chemicals. And it is dieticious heart. It's a good product to use.
Speaker 4: That's it's good for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good for some things that sometimes I tell you less the thing we need to do is go bug by bug kind of on it. There's not just like a one. Fire ants are just yes, fire ants, all the above fire ants. Okay. I would get a bait called come and get It, Come and get it fire ant bait. I believe it's made by fertilom It is organic and it is a bait. It contains spinosa. You sprinkle it very lightly all around. The ants pick it up, they take it back to the queen that kills the colony. That is the best least toxic way you can go for fire ants. All right, thank you? All right? All right, so thanks for the thanks for the call. Appreciate that and good luck with that. Wish you well. Where are we doing on time? Have we got time? Let's see here? Good time for another call. Let's go to West Houston and talk to Ken. Hey, Ken, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Thank you, really enjoy your program.
Speaker 21: I'm calling about pride and far Batis plants that decorated by backyard all summer and are beautiful, but the blooms are gone now and leaving a very string dangly plant.
Speaker 2: Yes, that I would get rid of.
Speaker 21: And the question is can I prove them to the ground now or should I wait till cold comes and turns them brown and then prove them?
Speaker 2: You know, if you can wait, I'd wait. And here's why. Printing is a stimulating process. And now once cold has killed them back, you know, cutting off dead things doesn't stimulate anything. But if you got a branch and you print it, you know how on a tree, you print a branch and all of a sudden, here come all these shoots out of where you pruned. We don't want Pride of Barbados, which is kind of cold tender. We don't want to encourage it to grow late in the season. I don't know that it would be the end of the world or anything to print it now, but if you can wait until a good coal comes through and knocks it back and then print it. Also throw some good multch, a thick layer of mulch over the base, and that way that crown of the plant is protected. So in the spring it comes back. It's going to be a slow one to come back. It's a sleepy head doesn't want to grow until about May. But mulch kind of helps protect that. After you've done the prunting.
Speaker 12: Okay, good advice.
Speaker 21: I might mention that this plant has really thrived in my backyard and I must have a dozen volunteers that popped up in various.
Speaker 2: Now there you go. Yeah, well it's a beauty, isn't it. It's a beauty. Yeah, really is Well, thank you, I appreciate I appreciate that very much. You take care. Think again. Thanks for that. Call the folks at Greenpro. They know how to do aerration and compost top dressing. Aeration and compost top dressing. So for they got a deal going right now and it's from now through fall. They will airate for free if you purchase a two yard minimum of compost top dressing, have them do that service to your lawn. Price to start at five seventy five plus tax. This is a one of the single most invigorating things you can do for your plants is do that aeration and then a compost stop dressing. I say, plants for your lawn. Greenpro dot Net. That's the website two eight one three five to one forty seven thirty three. They serve about forty five miles from Magnolia, So just think of Interstate forty five and Interstate ten the northwest quadrant. That is the area for green Pro again, greenpro dot net two eight one three five to one forty seven thirty three. We'll take a break. I'll be right back to have you with us here on guarden line. We got lots of gardening still left in us today. We'll be going till ten o'clock, at which time I'm gonna jump in a car and make a bee line for enchanted forest. We'll I'll be from about eleven thirty eleven forty five two about one forty five. So I hope you come out and see me. Enchanted Forest is done in Richmond on FM twenty seven fifty nine. I hope you come on out. I talk about ACE Hardware all the time because when people call me and they're looking for this fertilizer, that pesticide or you know, controlling weeds or diseases or insects or something, I know there's an ACE near them, and I know ACE is going to have what they need. And ACE carry's tools. They carry, you know, everything you need outside like watering hoses and wheelbarrows and all that, but all the different products to have success with your plants. ACE Hardware is going to have those and everything else you need inside and outside the house, whether you're doing plumbing or electrics, electrical, or maybe you're looking for some applying indoors or some beautiful, beautiful items for the home. You know, ACE Hardware is not just a hardware store. It is a hardware store, but it is that and so much more. You're going to find some really cool gifts at ACE Hardware. With this season coming up, you're going to go see somebody for Thanksgiving, stop in at ACE Hardware and grab a really nice gift. And I'm not I am not kidding. I mean really, you you walk into an Ace Hardware, you're gonna find something that you go, you know what, Mom or Grandma or the kids or whoever you're going to see Aunt Millie, they would love to have that item. And while you're there, you can grab the fertilizers for fall, you can grab the we control, you can grab the disease control because it's all going to be there. You can grab the fire ant control too. I told someone a while ago we were talking about fire ant baits and mentioned come and get it as an organic one. I've seen that in ACE Hardware stores as well. All you have to do is go to Acehardware dot Com, find the store locator, forty stores near you. Forty stores near you. Let's go to Pleasantville, New We're going to talk to Debrah. Well, Hello Debrah, and welcome to garden.
Speaker 22: Well, good morning, Skip. I have a question about some left over peat moss that I bought for takeoff right ahead in my yard. So I'm I'm restarting a yard and I got some swinter rye glass. Can I use that peat moss now to sprinkle on those three yards. Yeah, I see it's coming out little hairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you want to you want to let it get up first. Uh okay, and because you're gonna put pete moss out about a third of an inch deep and uh so you know you don't want to cover up a seed and block the light out. So let it get on up and then you can spread that peat moss all around on it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: You gotta watered in after you spread it. You want to get it wet and get it down there around the grass runners. That's where it does its suppressive uh activity on the on the take off.
Speaker 22: Okay, what about the what is it? What about the the new said I laid down? Can I put some peat moss? I do that new son on top and help it, because I don't have time to water it a lot, and I've already lost.
Speaker 4: The square or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I am not sitting gonna replace good water. And it's still that side has almost no root system, and it's got to get roots in the ground. So as frequently as you can water it, the better. Unfortunately, got a little dry spell. We're going through here and not going and so you got to get the water out there. On it, uh, if you don't want to lose it. But pete moska on top of it if you want. But just a little bit, just about third.
Speaker 22: Of them, okay, all right, So I can go in through my pet moss on the rye grass, and my old problem would take all root right on the other yards. It's two different yards. And just wait for them the new rcke.
Speaker 2: Just as long as the just as long as the rye grass is tall enough to where when you put pete moss on it you're not smothering seeds. You know, the leaves will stick up through it. Then it'll be.
Speaker 22: Okay, I'll wait, Thank you, Sorry.
Speaker 2: Bye, good to talk to you again. You take care all right, folks. That is that hey, Arbigate Garden Center. You know it's it's a wonderland. It is a destination and it is fun. And when you go to Arbrogate, by the way, those of you who've been living under a rock and don't know where Arbrogate is, it's a mile and a half west of two forty nine on twenty nine to twenty in Tomball. And you got to go just to see the take friends or family and go see yeah, people coming in for you know the holidays or something, get out take them out there to Arbrogate too. Arbrogate dot Com is their website. They are loaded with fall color, but they're also loaded with some really cool gifts and things for people that don't. They pretty much have everything right, You know how hard it is to shop. How about an air plant? Do you know what airplan is? At Tealanzia's. It's like they're kin to pineapples and bal moss. And if Bama is any indication, I think you might be able to grow an airplant. They're easy to grow, and they're cool, and they're different and I don't know, it's just something different. And Arborgate is loaded with not only the standards vegetables and fruit trees they fruit all year round out there, and herbs and beautiful, beautiful color plant Right now, that place is popping, And they even have a kind of a special going on on a lot of their fall and Halloween type decorations. Twenty five percent off on a lot of the ones that they carry out there. And so this would be a great time to get you one of those Talavera pumpkins or something else like that. You know that you would just enjoy and use year after year. It's all at the Arborgate on twenty nine to twenty about a mile and a half west of two forty nine. While you're at Arburgate, grab their food, their organic food complete, their organic soil complete, and they're organic compoost complete. Those three bags are the brown stuff that helps all the green stuff you bring home from Arborgate to thrive. The brown stuff is the foundation. Organic food complete, Organic soil complete, Organic compost complete. Only at Arburgate. We're gonna head now to Lake Jackson and talk to Charlie. Hey, Charlie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Good morning, and have a quick question about I have a big oak tree in my backyard and it's a low area and I'm wanting to put some dirt in because when it rains, that area has standing water for a period of time and it always goes right there and it looks like it's going to be about four to six inches that I'm gonna need to add dirt. Is that too much because there are exposed roots?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't do it. I don't want to smother it. Three inches YEA three is three is pushing it and it'd be better not to even do three if you can avoid it. But it's also a function, Charlie, of what percentage of the root system do you cover. And I'm here putting, you know, let's say you're putting some soiled around, you know, four feet out from the oak tree in all directions. Well, that's not a big deal. But when you start to cover a good volume of the area underneath the tree branch spread, then you can do some problems. So I would do it in stages, maybe two inches now, you know, we get into next year, a couple of inches sometime in the year, and then just do it that way. But also consider how you might read might divert that water away wherever it's coming from. Maybe that'd be another opportunity to to you know, kind of avoid that standing water. But yeah, just don't overdo it. Fantastic, Thank you.
Speaker 23: I enjoyed your show and I've called a few times and over the years or else the last couple of years.
Speaker 12: And good advice.
Speaker 2: Thank you, slad you have, glad you have, Thank you, Charlie. Good luck with that. Do definitely wish you well. Nature's way resources, you know. I was out there, oh for the Fall festival on Saturday the twelfth, had a great time. They always put on a good show out there. They still have their Fungal Friday sale on twenty percent off their fungal composts twenty percent off. That's a superb deal right there. Fungal compost is good for top dressing, it's good for mixing in the soil. It is good for a lot of things. I mean, it's like Nature's Way products. Nature's Way knows how to put in or create some of the most outstanding products for putting out in your garden and in your lawn, in your landscape, because it all begins in the soil, and Nature's Way is all about the soil. Right now through December first, they got their year in sale in the nursery. You know, I have a nursery and they sell plants out there. Nature's Way. Nice selection of natives and many many other kinds of plants, fruit, trees, houseplants, shrubs, you name it. Well, it excludes the native sun perennials, but fifty percent off their native plants through December first, So head out there, grab some of those. Now is the time to get them planted. And why you're in Nature's Way You're going to get everything you need in the way of brown stuff to make that green stuff happy, to build the foundation for the plants that you're bringing home. They're on if you go up Highway forty five or fourteen eighty eight comes in, you turn right across the railroad tracks and they're they're at Sherwood Circle right there. Makes it easy, easy to find them. Sherwood Circle. Well, I believe we're putting this hour in the books. Wow, there's time's flying this morning. They say time flies when you're having fun. You know what, Permit the frog says, time's fun when you're having flies. I'm sorry, I'm a dad. All I know are dad jokes. That's fun to do. Don't forget today. In fact, go ahead and get your car fired up. It won't be long here. We're going to go out to Enchanted Forest in Richmond Rosenberg area. They are on FM twenty seven fifty nine Enchanted Forest. Come out and see it. If you've never been doing Shandon, I don't care where you leave. You need to come and see this place. It is outstanding. I love going out there. I'll be there for two hours. Get there probably a little after eleven thirty here for a couple of hours answering your questions. We'll be giving away Madina products and wonderful products then they did by Medina. Bring me samples, bring me photos, Let's solve these problems, and most of all, let's just meet and have a good time.
Speaker 1: So this new dog, welcome to Katie r H. Garden Line with Scar Rictor.
Speaker 3: It's so weesy. Just watch him as so many things to susy away.
Speaker 2: Side, Welcome back side, Welcome back to garden Line, Welcome back. I'm your host, Skip Richtor, and we're here to answer your gardening questions. Well, I like to put it is, we're here to help you have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful landscape. Simple as that. How can we do that? Give us a call seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven to one three two one two k t r H. I've told you about r CW Nursery a number of times and I just have to repeat myself. Now is the time to get out to r c W Nursery. You know they are having uh just a number of things going on. Number there, for example that their fruit tree or they're trees excuse me. Trees, shade trees, things like the magnolia, southern magnolia and the schumart oaks, those kinds of trees, beautiful, beautiful ones. They are on fifteen percent off sale. That is outstanding. That is outstanding now. They also they've had specials on shrubs this weekend, twenty percent off shrubs. The Cajun hibiscus has been on. I was just enjoying my Cajun hibiscus I got there. It's a it is so beautiful. It is it still is just beautiful. And no matter what you're looking for, maybe a lace bark elm would be a nice one to add a burrow because a good one to add, for example, lots of good trees there and that's the place to do it. And by the way, don't forget next week on Saturday. Next Saturday, I'll be at RCW, that's October the twenty six I'll be there from twelve to two. So if you live up in that area, come out and see me. Love for you to do that, and while you're there, pick up some of the great specials that they have going on. They also are loaded on fall color, they're loaded on vegetables, and everything. Pretty much, if you need a plant, they're gonna have it. They're ready to go. ARCW is what I call the get it, Got It nursery because if they don't have something which is rare, they can get it for you. They can order it for you and bring it in most cases, and while you're out there, you can pick up the fertilizers I talk about here on garden Line. By the way, RCW Nursery dot Com is the website. And where are they located? Right where Beltway eight comes into FM two forty nine, also called Tomball Parklay. We're going to heading out to Cleveland and we're gonna talk to Carrie. Hello, Kerry, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Hello there, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm well, sir, How can we help? I got I got some pecan trees.
Speaker 18: I got all about twelve pecan trees. There are different types in pat hole and pipe chail and whatnot. Anyway, the pecans they put on pecans in the spring, and lighter.
Speaker 4: They have.
Speaker 2: Get from black spots on.
Speaker 18: Them and then okay they'll finally turn black and they're light. I mean, they're they're ninety good. But what I'm asking is I think this is a fungus. But you tell me, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, how old are these trees that you have.
Speaker 18: Now they're almost at thirty years old?
Speaker 2: Okay? And has this been going on the whole time?
Speaker 19: Know?
Speaker 18: At first day I had a few cons, not many, but a few cons. And for for the last about six years, I have not had en cons at all.
Speaker 7: They all turn black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, what's happening is there? There are a couple of diseases. There's diseases of the foliage, and when you kill foliage, you can't fill the kernels because foliage makes the carbohydrates that go in to make a pecan kernel. But there's also diseases of the trunk I mean, excuse me, the shuck, the shuck around the pecan. And interestingly enough, the material that goes inside the nut to make the kernel has to go through the shuck, and that shuck, if you get a black rotting disease on it, it blocks the flow into the pecan and you will not have good, healthy filled pecans. They'll be all black and shriveled inside. And so controlling diseases of both foliage and the shuck itself is important. The problem is you got quite a few trees there, a dozen, and pecan trees thirty years old are pretty good size, So you've got to have quite a sprayer to not only reach the top of the tree, but give you good coverage. If you can get that kind of sprayer, you can put fungicides out during the season that stop those decays from happening. Over here in the eastern half of the state, we get enough rain to where we have a lot more disease problems than you would, you know, west of Interstate thirty five in central Texas for example. Yeah, do you think you can do you have that kind of sprayer or can you can you find a way to spray if not get.
Speaker 18: Uh oh, maybe a little more with the sprayers that are that I have. Uh huh, it's really really hard to reach the very very top about the last five favors top of the tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you can get all out of it, if you can get all that done, then you're probably okay. You just don't want to be standing underneath it having the spray come back all over you. You know, sometimes on our child, witch too high spray and it ends up coming back on me. So but uh, there are there are some products out there. What I would do if I were you, See you're out in Cleveland, you might try talking to one of your ACE hardware stores. You got a couple of them out that direction. That yeah, uh yeah, yeah, M and D. Well talk to M and D and see what they can carry for pecan disease control.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you, you know, want to email me, I can send you some suggested products for it, but it's not going to be real easy to find. You may end up. Uh if I M and D cannot get something for you, Uh, just email me back and I'll see if I can find another option. But start there with M and D. You need a disease control for pecans, and that's going to take a kind of a specialty product to do a good job of that.
Speaker 18: Okay, a question. I have tried spray with copper soul fight. I'm not doing good at all if I keep that up.
Speaker 2: Cop Copper is okay on some diseases, but not the one you have. Copper's not going to be the solution. And I'm hitting a hard break here coming up, so i gotta run, but I'm gonna put you on hole. Carrie and Chris can give you an email for me and just follow up with that and I'll take care of you. All right, folks, I'll be right back. Yes today. I just want to remind you that as soon as this hour of the show is up, the show is up at ten o'clock, I'm gonna head over to Intended for Us. I'll get there about oh, probably eleven thirty today, maybe eleven forty five, and I'll be there for two hours. So come on out and see me. We're gonna be giving away Medina products and I'll be answering your gardening questions. And believe me, they are stocked up on all kinds of cool plants and decorations for fall. It'll be a fun time. I promise you that if you want to get compassed, top dressing, aeration or both hopefully both done to your lawn and you live down south South and especially south and west of Houston, bm B Turf Pro is the place you need to call. B and B turf Pros have. They have a goal, and that goal is to make you happy. And I really mean that. It's not to them just about let's get your money and go on down the street and whatever customer satisfaction matters, and that's why they do high quality work and they do. I've seen their work. They also only use quality products that I recommend here on garden Line. So for example, when they're going to do top dressing, they're going to get it from Cenamlts and they're going to get the quality stuff from Ciena Malts. For compost top dressing, they will errate your lawn and they'll do a compost top dressing. Make sure it's air rated right, not like the aer rators you rent at the store to do what you're selling. You can do that, but now they have much better equipment for it, and also for the top dressing. It's a messy job, but they can do it. And they basically go above and beyond to make not just you happy, but make that personal connection, make sure you're satisfied because they know that's what's going to bring you back. It's here's the website BB Turfpros dot com, b B no end BB Turfpros dot Com. Here's the phone number seven to one three two three four fifty five ninety eight seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight if you are in that region, you know from over Oh, I don't know. Let's say how far west we're going to go, maybe Sugarland direction, across Missouri City and then down through down Highway six, all through their Fresno Cnar Cola, Iowa Colony, Manville, and even as far east as Pearland. That's the region they service. And nothing will help your lawn just bounce back and look great when it's in a stress condition, especially compaction. Then a good eraation encompassed tob dressing. We're going to go now to talk to Joe. Hello, Joe Welsome Garden Line. Thank you.
Speaker 12: I want two questions please.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 24: I have a shady area and I would like to plant ground cover.
Speaker 12: What would you suggest? That's my first question. Ivy.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of good groundcovers, Joe, Ivy is fine, English Ivy. The prime with the English Ivy is it just takes over the world, climbs up your trees constantly. It's a sprawler real fast. So that's one that people will use. If the shade is bright, you can use an Asian jasmine in those areas. That's another vining type of groundcover, but it needs decent light for it to do well. I see people just plant pardon it has some light's not a lot, okay. Loriope and mondo grad both can be planted as a solid groundcover, and that takes a lot of plants, but it makes a really nice dense groundcover if it's moderate light. The Aztec grass is think of it as a white and green striped riope. Aztet grass is not grass. It's more like loripe, but it's white and green stripes. So it really brightens the shady areas. Shady areas are already dark, and then when you put a dark green ground cover, it just sort of disappears in there. And it's nice to use something with some lighter colors like that. Course, ferns would be good for an area like that.
Speaker 24: Next question that is, I built some aubors. They're about ten feet high, and what can I plant that'll grow over the top and that gets hit too hard when we get that freeze every year. What would be something that'll be climbing climbing roses?
Speaker 2: Yeah, climbing roses. The climbing rose is fine. Most climbing roses only bloom in the spring, but that's fine. I've got an arbor that has a climbing rose. It's a spring bloomer on it and uh, they do fine. Another thing you could do is there's a type of wisteria that has kind of a burgundy flower, a deep deep blood red burgundy colored flower. It's called Chinese wisteria, and it it does well on an arbor. It's a it's a woody vine. There's there's a lot of different plants you can put an arbor. Some of them, though, are just a little too enthusiastic, if you know what I mean. You know, they want to take over the world, and they can overwhelm an arbor. So we'd like to stay away from those.
Speaker 12: This Chinese with steria, what color? It has a flowery you said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's not like the regular. When people say with steria, you picture those bloomed blue to purple colored like clusters of grapes thinging everywhere. This has a small or cluster that's a deep burgundy blood red. Uh and it but it's also a woody wisteria vine that you can put on an arbor without it just taking everything over.
Speaker 12: Is there any other thing that flowers that you would suggest.
Speaker 2: Well, there's trumpet creeper, Madam Galen is a variety of trumpet creeper with big flowers. But I'm telling you that thing is such a vigorous thing and sometimes they'll sucker on you that I would hesitate to do that on it. You could do a coral. Don't do coral. Oh gosh, the name is just escaping me. I just cross vine cross vine called tangerine beauty. That one has smaller, thin vines, but it really runs all over the place, and so you trim it when it gets too far. But it has spring flowers that are a tangerine orange color, very pretty, and that would be an option as well.
Speaker 12: On the trellis tangerine.
Speaker 2: Tangerine beauty is the variety cross vine cross vine vine. Yeah, but do you want to get tangerine beauty. That's the prettiest one.
Speaker 12: Okay, thank you for your house.
Speaker 2: All right, good luck with that. You take care, yes, sir, you as well. That is Those are all great vines. I love vines. We don't have enough vines by the way people are planting. People don't plant enough vines. That is an underplanted plant. We live in the South and it gets hot in the summer, and arbor with vines over it. It makes an outdoor area livable, and i'd encourage you to do that. Do you have a western wall that it just the sun bakes it at the end of the day and then you got that heat radiating into the house half the night. Put a viine on it. We should use vines more, all right. I told you about Nelson carbo Load. That is their fall fertilizer carbo Load. It's fertilizer and it's weed prevention. It's a pre emergent. We'd prevention all in one. I want to tell you about nutristar Genesis from Nelson. Genesis is designed for transplanting plants. So whether you're moving something from one pot up to a bigger pot. If you're doing that, mix some Genesis into the soil in the new pot to help get that plant off to a good start. If you're putting something in the ground, like maybe you're gonna plant a rose bush this year, or maybe Joe's gonna put a vine in this year, you know, well, how about putting some Genesis in the soil around it. It's one of the few fertilizers I would say mix into the soil and it's okay. It's not gonna burn your roots. It's not salt based, all right. It's got micro riz in, it got beneficial bacteria. It's got other fungi too, by the way, that support that soil micro biome that's so important. When you mix genesis into the ground and water your plan in, well those roots come out and they're in their happy place and they really show it. And I've seen that myself. It really does work. It's from Nelson. Plant food comes in a jar, clear jar with a screw top lid, and it works. Genesis for transplanting your plants. And as I keep saying, I hope you, I hope you're planting right now. There's not a better season for transplanting than we're in right at this time. We love our feed stores here on guard Line, and you know the D and D feed store out west of Tombol, they're about three miles west of two forty nine on FM twenty nine to twenty. This place is great. I mean they expanded it recently last summer and summer for it anyway, they recently expanded it. It's even better now. When you go inside, you're gonna find the stuff that I talk about. You know, you hear me talking about nitrofoss and you hear me talk about microlife and Nelson turf Star and Medina products and heirloom soils and you know the Nelson all the different Nelson products, Landscaper's Pride soils. They've got all of that at D and D Feed and Supply. They also, of course their feet, so they got feed. They got quality, high quality dog foods, a little uh, I don't know what you call it, but I call it a dog deli. It's like a little special things bones and stuff that are flavored for them to chew on. If I go to D and D my dogs find out I didn't bring them anything, I'm in I'm in trouble because they know about the dog deli at D and D Feed, D and DE Feed. Here's the phone number. Two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. Two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. Listen the dovers open this in nineteen eighty nine and the place just keeps getting better again. Three miles west of two forty nine on just outside a Tomball. While you're there, grab you your fire ut bait. It's time to get that done. Anything you need to do to control weeds, diseases, and insects, you're gonna find plenty of it. They're in D and D feed, they really do. I was in there not too longer than an outstanding selection of those products.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You are listening to garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two k t RH seven to one three two one two k t r H. Have you ever been down to Jorges Hidden Gardens? That is probably our southernmost Am I right about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I say I thought southern most garden center I talk about here on garden Line. They're in Alvin, Texas.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Horay just keeps getting that place better and better every time I go. There's some new things that they have. You know, when you go to Hoges, you're gonna find plenty of woody ornamentals, tree shrubs and all sizes, two huge ones. If you want Peggy Martin row. That's a rose I have on my trellis. They always have to veggies and tomatoes and whatnot. Lots of fruit trees, always have fruit trees there. That's a place where you're going to get that three sixty tree stabilizer. So when you buy a tree from Morae. Grab that three sixty tree stabilizer so you can stake it and take care of it. Or hees got citrus trees, he's got other kinds of fruit. Just go buy and see him. Orges Hidden Gardens. They are on Elizabeth Street in Alvin, just south of Highway nine. So all of you down there in Alvin, Dickinson Hillcrest, Alcoa, Altalloma, or Arcadia, Santa Fe, this is your hometown garden center. Go check them out this weekend. I'm gonna take a break, folks, I'll be right back. Things about plants and whatnot. Had a call come in a Heidi from Tree Search Farms did a little Hey, here's another idea. I was talking to Joe about a plant for a vine on a trellis, and she was suggesting a butterfly vine. That's Miscagnia micruptra. I believe it is the species. It's a good one, and why they call it butterfly vine. Okay, it has little yellow flowers, Okay, fair enough, but then the flowers are replaced by seed pods that look like butterflies. You just got to go see it or look it up. See what I'm talking about. But they're really cool. People will let them dry and then pick them and use them in arrangements. You know, maybe spray paint them, put some glitter on them or whatever if they want to dress them up. But that's a good vine that is a billowing, strong grower. I mean, it'll produce a good solid vine on a trellis for sure. So it's just another option there that you might want to keep in mind. I was talking about Jorge two. By the way, Orges Hidden Gardens down in Alvin Horace got a shipment of blueberries in I mean like ten different varieties and they've got both the rabbit eye type and the Southern high bush type. Those are two different kinds of blueberries, and it's important that when you buy them you get at least two varieties of the same type. Okay, so too rabbit eyes or to Southern high bush, and he has some of each one. If you want to know more about blueberries, the Aggi Horticulture website has a really good publication on blueberries. And do you just go to Aggie. Just do a search for Aggie Horticulture, go to the fruit and nut page and there is a publication at that page on every kind of fruit you can grow, from avocados to I don't know what is a fruit that begins with z is, but anyway, it got the whole nine yards, and if you go there you can learn about the different sections of the state where we can grow these, and then the different varieties and some information on them. But just remember that when you get rabbit eyes, you want to get a second rabbit eye. Now they'll produce some fruit by themselves, but they do better when they have a second variety to pollinate them, because you get more seeds pollinated, and therefore the berries will be bigger. So don't buy one blueberry by at least two of the same type rabbit eye and so high bush and I know where he's got like tiff blue and climax. Those are all those are examples of rabbit eye types. And he's got one called sharp blue and Biloxi. Biloxi, I know is a southern high Bush's. I see some others on the list, So take take a look, Premiere, that's a rabbit eye. But he's got them therein so now it'd be a good time to get those things planned before you put them in the ground. By the way, take a box cutter knife and cut vertically through the root ball that came out of the container roots cylinder, cut vertically in four places around the plant about an inch deep, and then separate those roots out. They will establish better that way if you'll do that. Well, that was a lot of fast information right there. Let's head out to talk to Evelyn. Hello, Evelyn, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 11: My grandpa.
Speaker 1: So yesterday I checked on.
Speaker 2: My Yeah, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: They're good.
Speaker 11: But today they're gone. And would deer go close enough to the house to eat them or was that something else?
Speaker 2: You know, it could be a lot of things. There's some little caterpillars of one that will go out at night. You don't see them in the day. They go out at night and they cut off your seedlings. They chop them down like someone chopping down trees in the forest, and they cut them off right at the ground and you'll see the seedling kind of laying there. Usually. Now, if it were deer, the seedlings should be completely gone overnight like they were there today. They're not there in the morning, that kind of thing. And if that's the case, you may also see deer tracks, so it could be the one could be a seedling, or it could be the deer tracks. It also could be a disease. But then you just see the rotted, fallen over, shriveled up seedling the next morning. So it's gonna be one of those three.
Speaker 11: Did you eat sweetpeas?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 2: Well, deer eat just about everything. There are a few plants they don't like, but yeah, they'll eat sweetpeas. They sure will. I'll eat sweet peas, so yeah, dere will love them. But seriously, you with deer, you just have to almost put like a little fence cage type thing over them to keep them out of there because deer they yeah, they'll do a lot of damage.
Speaker 11: And should I try sweet peas and gammer?
Speaker 2: Should I try a different seedling?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: You should try sweetpeas again. Fall is a great time to plant them, and you did the right thing planning them in the fall because they grow slowly through the winter, and next spring you're just gonna have good, good yields. Is this the flowering type, the type that you grow for flowers or the type you grow for eating.
Speaker 16: Flowers?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, then in the spring is when they'll take off vining and grow in the flowers, and by fall planting them, they have a head start, so you're doing the right thing. Just replant them. If you don't see any when you came out, where all of your seedling's gone, or just some of them.
Speaker 12: I think all of them, I don't know.
Speaker 11: I saw like a shriveled husk, but I don't know if it was one of them or if it was something else.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, well what you should do. I don't know if you did this first time around, But if you soak those seeds overnight, like let's say you're gonna plant tomorrow tonight, you would put them in in warm water and let them soak all night, and then when you plant them, they're gonna come up faster that way. But then figure out something you can cover them with when they come up, you know. I it could be wire, like the kind of wire you put under a rabbit cage, you know, for them to hop around on, or something that just keeps the deer from getting to those seedlings.
Speaker 14: Okay, thank you, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You bet, Thank you for the call. Appreciate that. Take care all right, there you go, there you go, And I got called Grandpa. I think I know that Evelyn. There you go. All right, so we are. We are ready to go for some more calls. If you'd like to give us a call. All grandchildren are welcome to call me. First time that's ever happened, I think, well, let me see this radio show. That's the first time I've ever that's ever happeneding grandchild on any show. H Pierscapes peerscapes dot com. That's the website. Now I give you that first because I want you to go straight there. Piercescapes dot com. Pierscapes is going to be the place you go when you want a landscape that is a showplace that is outstanding. With Pierscapes, you know that they are going to have the designers to do it right. They are going to have everything you need for success. They'll put the right plants in because they know what plants to plant are. You can tell them what you want planted. They also do quarterly maintenance on your beds. You know, if you don't have time to get out there and trim and weed and fertilize and check your irrigation and change seasonal color every time we change seasons, mulching and errating pierscapes can do that. Pierscapes can fix your irrigation system. Pierscapes can fix poorly drained areas and make them drain well. They can do landscape lighting. They can create that beautiful patio rock patio with a with a firepit or with a barbe coupitter. They can do all of that. Piercescapes dot Com. Here's a phone number two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven o five zero six zero. Take a break. I'll be right back with your calls. We are on our final segment today before I head out to Enchanted Forest Garden Center down in Richmond area. If you have a chance to come out, please come out and see me. I'll be there. I'm aiming for eleven thirty and maybe a few minutes later that I get there, but I'll be there for at least two hours answering your gardening questions and giving away Guess what, Medina has donated some really cool stuff that I'll be giving away in addition to giving away hopefully good accurate advice. I try to do that. Like I say on Guardline, they're any stupid questions, just stupid answer so the pressure is on me and other words, to not give a stupid answer. Well, we're gonna we're gonna try that out right now, and I'm going to go out to Brenham, Texas and we're going to talk to Leonard. Hey, Leonard, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Good morning. What you said weren't very much about the bricks and growing vines on it on the west side of your house, and you seem to say that that might cut out some in the heat. So I was very interested in that. I was concerned about with that for brick, the strength of it or could it climb up into your attic maybe or yeah, amazing, you.
Speaker 2: Know any Okay, yeah, I get it. I get it. Well it's a good question, Leonard. The answer on your brick is no, it's okay, we'll hurt your brick. You got to get if you're gonna have it stick to the brick, you got to get a vine that has what's called hold fasts, and those are little discs the vine produces on what are the equivalent of aerial roots that stick to something. And so it's not the vines that twine around stuff. It's not the vines that have little curlicues that go out there and grab stuff like a cucumber vine does. But it's the hole fast. But what I would do is if you could put up a wall in front of it of a strong material, like a livestock panel or something like that, it could grow on that and then there'd be a space between the wall and the brick. The only thing you have to worry about, Leonard, is those things with hole fasts when they get up and start touching your painted eaves. Yeah, they can do some damage there because when you pull them off, you're left with that little woody thing sticking to your paint. And and that's not good.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, that's great. Another thing real quick for you don't mind here and bred and we have a problem with gumbo. I've got quite a bit of it. You just can't find a place that a nice sandy loan.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: But I'd like to some fig some pig trees and other fruit trees. And I want to big big hose that I hear that you don't you don't replace that dirt that you took out with this good soil. You got to put back that gumbo. But yeah, even gumbo.
Speaker 2: So yeah, even gumbo. But but here's you got two options. First of all, let me say this. Figs are happy in gumbo. They are. Uh. You know, Houston had a several hundred acres of figs back in long ago, uh, commercially produced to southwest of Houston.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so figs are happy in that kind of soil. That's all the rice paddy country out there, and they can grow in that. I had a fig in some horrible sticky soil at my house up you know it. Just all you have to do is just give them adequate water and they're happy. Now. The second thing, if you wanted to take it up a notch, you could spread compost over a large area and roto till it in to improve the soil a little bit, and then dig the hole and plant the fig into that mix. Okay, And so you're not putting compost in the hole. You're you're mending the whole bed area. And then you're digging the hole and using the amended soil that came out of the hole to go back in.
Speaker 7: So you don't ever put like rose soil in there, not.
Speaker 2: In a hole, because here's what happens if you dig a hole one time one time in Houston, I went to a place that had a whole row of red Tippotinia shrubs alongside the building, and they were all dying, and it was black clay soil. And when I went I grab grabbed a shrub kind of pulled on it, and it came right out of the ground and the roots were black and gooey and smell like swamp gas. Because what happened is you dig a hole and now you've got an underground bathtub, and you fill it full of nice compost and put your plan in it. And when it rains too much or you irrigate too much, that organic matter decomposes anaerobically can get oxygen, and you get some nasty stuff coming out of there. So don't make an underground bathtub and fill it with compost and plant roots. Just amend the whole thing and figs will grow in black clay. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 7: That's a good illustration, now I understand that. Thank you so much. All right, I've got If you've got time, box woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got I got time. Sure, go ahead, I got box with.
Speaker 7: I did five boxwood probably three months ago. And they're all dying and Uh, I really I did everything I could do, maybe doing what you just said about digging a hole. I did add some really good soil after I took out the plants that were there before and I replaced them all with these boxwoods. And now they're dying. And I really I've got a big investment with labor and plants and everything. I don't want to lose them. But they're just dying.
Speaker 2: Describe dying to me. What is the whole plant going at once? Do you lose one branch at a time or what.
Speaker 7: There's twenty five of them in a row there, and some of the plants have still got a little bit of green on it, but the three fourths of it, the leaves are just really brown. And these are new little much the whole plant. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: They're box woods.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I know you've invested in them, and so we're going to try to help you with that. In general, I'm getting to where I hate to even recommend because they get they can get nematodes in the roots that can wear them down, take them down. They can get a root disease, several root diseases, and then they can get the box with blight, which tends to attack the top, and it usually hits a branch at a time. The bottom line is, there's not a good control for any of that, none of it, None of the things that attack box woods. Do we have a great spray for other than one or two of the root rots that we can drench the soil for.
Speaker 7: But yeah, well I'm gonna pull them all out and try to figure out something that would be nice edge in front of my house.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's let's do this, Leonard. If you will follow a branch that's browning, not dead, but browning so on its way, take your pocket knife and slice vertically down that branch and look inside. If you see, like if you cut it off with printers and you see a ring of black, that's one disease. If you see just see discolor under the inside the branch all over, that's like black gray brant, dark dark brown, that's a disease indication. Pull up some roots when you got one that's dying, and look for knots on the roots instead of normal roots. It looks like a string of pearls, or it's even knotted up worse than that, looks almost like the michelin Man all bumpy and lumpy and everything. If you see any of that and you want to send me a picture, I could take a look at it. I'm going to put you on hold and if you choose to hang on and Chris will pick it up and we will get you an email where you can take some pictures and send them to me and I'll be happy to diagnose it at the next step.
Speaker 7: Okay, fantastic, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, sir, Yes, sir, Crystal, pick it up right now. Hey, guys, if you are looking for a one stop shop for everything you need for your garden, Southwest fertilizer, is it down there in Southwest Houston, corner bis Ut and Runwick. I don't care where you live, it's worth driving down to because every fertilizer I talk about on Guardline, and then some every kind of herbicide, pre emergent and post emergent, insecticides, fungicides, or you're an organic gardener, they got the best selection of organics of anybody in the in the whole area. And if you're not organic synthetic, they got the best selection too. I mean they just have everything. Bob keeps it all there. It'd be a good time to get your lawn mower and in your blade in and let them sharpen that blade for next season. It's coming. Don't wait until everybody else is doing it. Do you need small engine or pair? They can do that. Bring in samples, bring in I don't know pictures of things. Bob and his team, Aaron, the whole team there. They know what they're doing. They can direct you to what you need. Southwest Fertilizer dot com. That's the website, Southwest Fertilizer dot Com. Corner of Byssinet and Runwick ben Ron since nineteen fifty five. Everybody knows about them because they've been here and they've been doing it right for so long. Seven one, three, six, six, six, seventeen forty four. Oh, by the way, when you're in there, tell Bob you want to see the kneeling bench because you need a gift. If you know anybody over forty years old, they must have the kneeling bench. And Bob's got copies of gout a supply of them there. That's out the springs. It's the best top five tool of all the tools I own. I own a lot of tools. Top five tools. Kneeling you gotta have it all right, folks. I'm about to jump in the car here and a little after eleven thirty I'll be getting to Enchanted Forest Garden Center down in Richmond Rosenborg area. In fact, they are on FM twenty seven fifty nine twenty seven fifty nine. Come on out and see me, bring me some samples. I'm going to be giving away some giveaways from the cool folks at Medina. Oh yeah, by supplive, I'll be answering your gardening questions. Come on out. I want to show you some of the planet. I mean to have time to walk you around and show you a few