Speaker 1: Information economy as a rid. The world is teeming with innovation as new business models reinvent every industry industry. Inside Analysis is your source of information and insight about how to make the most of this exciting new era. Learn more at inside analysis dot Comsideanalysis dot com. And now here's your host, Eric Kavanaugh.
Speaker 2: Fare Well. All right, ladies and gentlemen, Hello and welcome back once again to the only coast to coast radio show. And that's all about the information economy. It's called Inside Analysis. You're true the Eric Kavanaugh is here, and folks, I'm very pleased to be talking about a very serious subject today that is hiring in the federal government. We have Chris Collegato today with us and he is from Fedstack and they're focused intently on this very challenge. And Chris, there are lots of things that need to get done in DC, as we all know, and you folks are out there helping to make these connections. Tell us quickly about Fedstack, what you guys were build for and what you're working on today.
Speaker 3: Sure, thanks, Eric, so very quick on. Fedstack is actually a new brand very focused on the federal.
Speaker 4: Market.
Speaker 3: In fact, we are basically a unit that was born out of a workforce development organization called smooth Stack. So this is actually a brand launch where we're actually expanding our offering from what we're pretty well known to.
Speaker 4: Have been doing in the market space until now.
Speaker 3: So our focus has been how do we basically close in on the skills gap specific to technology. Right, there's a lot of difficulty in hiring also in the federal space. There's also a lot of competition in the open market for pretty much the same pool of resources. So where we differentiate ourselves is we're actually what we were calling it creation of net new talent. Right. What that means is we actually develop the talent from sources where you would not usually find them, right, So a lot of new entrants into the technology market that have the high aptitude for grasping new technology, exiting military that would like to break into the technology field. Basically, we created an accelerated apprenticeship program where we are secret sauces being an immersive environment where we mirror the target environment for our clients, be that direct to the government or some of our system integrated partners where they're trying to meet a particular requirement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the new training where it is intensive training, and I'm presuming what you're doing is mimicking the work environment where they'll be so they work with the technologies that they'll need to be working with in the actual job.
Speaker 5: Is that right?
Speaker 4: That's correct.
Speaker 3: So we actually have a patent pending on this technology for called mirror environment, right. So beyond just training them on the content, right, we really tailored the curriculum specific.
Speaker 4: To that job.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's not just about training on one dimension, but really the full breadth of skill sets that's required to deliver the job for day one, right, So whether that's cloud, whether that's actual programming or even consulting skills and knowledge of the domain where they're going to be deployed. So we really tailored the environment specific to the requirement and then basically run them through anywhere from a ten to twelve week window against a full time, full time absorption of the material where we provide all the lab environments set up for that the trainers, the product owners mimicking and simulating what they would face when they actually work on day one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and there's lots of new technology to learn these days. Obviously, artificial intelligence is very much top of mind.
Speaker 5: For people. You have models that.
Speaker 2: Need to be designed, they need to be trained. You've got AI infrastructure to worry about. Do you cover that whole spectrum everything from the IT infrastructure to the model design, the training, all that kind of fun stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: So we will focus on what is in need today and we actually continue to continue to scan the market of what's emerging. So we want to be able to stay ahead of what's coming. So we focus on.
Speaker 4: Five key areas, right, data and AI.
Speaker 3: Right, So a lot of the data engineering, big data, analytics and so on, a lot of the new AI models are coming out there, the traditional applications development, regardless of what stack that may be.
Speaker 4: And then digital platforms.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of COTS packages, ERP packages for example, lo code, no code, type of technologies uh, including infrastructure solutions, cloud hybrid, and so on, including the way we do DevOps for deployment and packaging all that into those target environment. And finally, of course across the board, you need to have cybersecurity for secure applications and platforms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cybersecurity, I mean there's a space that will never ever ever go away. It's harder than ever, but you do have better tools than ever too, So how do you yourselves keep on top of the latest technologies? Do you hire consultants and practitioners from these environments. Let's just pick cybersecurity as one because it's its own entity. Do you go out and get folks from the big firms to come on and be your trainers and your consultants?
Speaker 5: How does that work?
Speaker 3: So we have a pretty large partner network, So we partner both from a strategic alliance with the vendor providers for example. So we create those partnerships where we are basically seen as workforce providers and then we basically look at those trainers or the ex experts from the various fields that we're trying to surface. Right So, in fact, Ashla, that's a good segue into the expansion of our offerings beyond creating this apprenticeship cohorts, where we're now actually extending our services to our partners where some of the folks that they have that may have been working on the same maybe legacy applications that now have to transition to the modern technology as new platforms get rolled out, they need to be able to keep pace with that, so we bring in the trainers that will help the transition from legacy to modern digital platforms.
Speaker 5: And there are lots and lots of new platforms.
Speaker 2: You mentioned low code, no code, that's been a very hot topic the last few years, where you just have a nice graphical user interface and it's typically a drag and drop where you pull together different components and under the covers they handle all the code development, all the code execution.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there's some exciting things that actually beyond the local no code now with AI, right, AI itself is actually needs to work together with the folks that were training because you're no longer just training them the basics of programming, but how to actually program with.
Speaker 4: AI as an assistant.
Speaker 3: So it's a little bit of a new game, right, It's almost a game changer where you know, one person needed to learn the very basic coding principles. Now you're doing local no code and reuse, dropping and dropping gugi on top of the thing, and now AI itself you give them a prompt and it's writing a lot of the code for you. So being able to live in that environment that the expectation is really accelerated outcomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course jen ai is very hot these days. But the problem with Jenais you probably know is that it is probabilistic, so it's not deterministic. I think that's one reason why you see so much emphasis on the copilots, on the helpers, the digital assistance, because the human can then still make a judgment about what to do. You're not just turning the genai and letting it do the job. Is that your impression as well?
Speaker 4: That absolutely?
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I think a lot of this hallucinations happen right with some of the It depends on what you use for training the models, So you know, part of the decision making would be when do you point Copilot or others into like external resources where it can be corrupted by a lot of the unvetted information that that's being formed to form your answers versus trusted sources for training in house. Potentially that would allow actually more reliable answers.
Speaker 2: And you know, one of the technologies that fascinates me the most, and I'm curious to know if you've heard about this process mining companies like Salonis Software a G. There's a few of them out there where you track typically the digital data footprints through various information systems to see what's actually happening to me, that is an incredibly powerful technology for rewriting, reinventing information systems to kind of catapult them into the modern age.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Well, absolutely, I think that that saves a lot of time.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: You know, you've done a lot of methods in the past, the reverse engineering, and this really helps a lot, especially when you're doing modernization, right. It takes a lot of time to try and trace and ensure that you're able to keep the functions that you want to keep and how to design for the future, and something like this really accelerates that analysis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and open source is a big deal too. Open source, I think has revolutionized the information technology landscape, certainly on the app development side, I mean all the way down to Linux and the Linux kernel and the work that's being done there, but the entire data stack now has been opening up to open source technology. Are there concerns in federal use cases for open source because the source is open?
Speaker 5: What do you think about all that?
Speaker 3: I think in the early days that been a lot of concern But there's like two thoughts on that, right, there's still a lot of folks that kind of want to look at closed systems but what we're finding out is a lot of folks say, hey, because it's an open system, it's been tested more thoroughly than any closed system that's out there, that they may actually renders them more secure. You know, I could go both ways on that one, but it really depends on how sensitive the systems you're developing and how you know whether you are exposing vulnerability in an open setting, or it's a mature enough platform that's been really thoroughly tested that makes it trustable. Like Linux, you know, was in the same boat at some point, and now it's all over the place.
Speaker 5: Right now, and now it's the enterprise standard for sure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we all keep hearing about this it skills shortage, and you know, I don't really know what to make of it all. There are lots of people, I'm sure, who want to learn all those things, and you're filling that gap, right, I mean, you are training and retraining people to learn how to use all the new technologies. And you know, the fun part is that Jennai can be a big part of that, right. You can load instruction manuals into a GENEI solution and then just ask it all kinds of questions in that environment. It seems to me they're very, very powerful and very effective. They don't hallucinate as much because they're just pointed at a particular document. Is that what you found as well, that JENNI can be a very powerful copilot in helping to train people to use new technology.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think a lot of the younger generation factor growing up with GENAI access already, right, So we have to adopt our training mechanisms and methods in order to incorporate that in the learning management systems that we actually have ourselves in house, and so we need to constantly look for new ways of actually training. As you know, we're trying to train and rescale some of the folks that are more used to the older technologies, and then you have the the folks are new, younger generation are upcoming that expect that this is the way they want to learn in the future. So we're trying to have that happy medium. But the future really is everything is going to be gen AI or agenta AI assistant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that actually brings up a really good point. I'd be curious to get your thoughts as a trainer, as someone who is working for a company that trains people. We now have arguably five generations in the workforce with very different cultural norms, very different tendencies and more rays.
Speaker 5: How do you tackle that.
Speaker 2: Do you actually address that programmatically to treat people of a certain age one way and people of a certain age a little bit different just because of their cultural diversity, or how does that actually work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we absolutely need to consider that, right, So when we're build out some cohorts in the screening process, as we are customizing the curriculum, that's part of the consideration. What is the makeup of that cohort for example, Well, if that's a mix of all five generations, you've got to be able to cater to what's the most effective technique and I just deliver the content material in a one size fits all manner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting too.
Speaker 2: So you know, maybe you could share with our audience a bit how you track those kinds of things, the techniques that you use, which sessions you have people joined to train, and then the efficacy of that down the road. I mean, I know fed stack is new, but from your smooth Stack experience, for example, how much are you able to track, measure, and then ascertain the efficacy of certain programs to certain demographics and then monitor it and modify that over time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's actually a really good question because that's the reason why we actually came up with our own learning management system to be able to track everything.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: So when you look at a ten to twelve week process and cohort, every week is basically an evaluation where actually the progress of the entire class comes in, right, So we're trying to develop a cohort. In fact, it's no guarantee that they're actually going to graduate, right, So the efficacy of how we teach that is very important, but also the evaluation factors because we're very selective on the folks that we deploy out there for contracts, so we may start up with a very large number, but by the time we're finish and only the stream of the crop actually surfaces at the end.
Speaker 4: So we're a heavier aligned of metrics.
Speaker 3: And even after the courses are done, we do checkpoints, right the first thirty days, the first sixty days, what's your feedback of what would you rather us have done. Now that you actually have experience in working this and applying this on your current project, then we use that for the training of the next cohort in order to improve it.
Speaker 2: That's very impressive. You developed your own learning management system. If you sometimes you got to roll your own right. You have to figure out what you need done, what functionality you need baked into this system, and if you're a large enough organization, sometimes it makes sense to just build out your own system.
Speaker 5: That's that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing you had some experience with learning management systems and you're like, you know what, we got to really roll up our sleeves and build this one out ourselves.
Speaker 5: How long did that take? Roughly? Do you know?
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually born out of necessity. So when we the organization started a smooth Stack, you know, five six years ago, it was an in person learning. We actually bring our students here, put them in apartments, and we have a whole training facility in house. When COVID hit, everything had to go to virtual and we had to rapidly come up with a way to be able to deliver those same, you know, quality programs in a virtual manner.
Speaker 4: And that's what actually.
Speaker 3: Prompted us to say, hey, we really need to create our own learning management system in order to deliver what we're able to deliver in an in person manner.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, COVID was quite the forcing function, right to use a technology term, It really forced us all to take a very hard look at processes, workflows, access to data, access to information systems, and security.
Speaker 5: For goodness sakes.
Speaker 2: I mean, with everybody working from home now, your threat scape is much larger because you have all these all these devices everywhere, computers that are outside of your data center, phones that are outside of your purview at least you know, in the in the corporate office, et cetera. So that was a real wake up call for you guys that you had to go and reevaluate and redesign how you do these things.
Speaker 4: Right, absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's pretty impressive. And let's get into in the next segment.
Speaker 2: We'll get a bit deeper into the cybersecurity side, just because that is so important and I happen to know from experience that cybersecurity is a constantly evolving, constantly changing environment and to stay on top of things you need to do. Of course, all the basics, password management things of this nature. Biometrics of course are really coming into play these days. But you need to be monitoring the network. You need to be monitoring the apps, you need to be monitoring the behaviors of all these people. And there are hundreds and hundreds of security solutions you can use. Some like I suggest that focus on the network, some focus on the apps, some focus on the users and kind of watching, and some take a more holistic approach. And of course, with machine learning you can track these things more and more assiduously over time. So when we come back from the break, we'll be talking again to Chris Coligado. He is with fed Stack. This is a new brand that's coming out of the smooth Stack organization that's been around for a while. They do it services, consulting, training, helping people learn how to do the jobs of the future, which are you know, it's the jobs of today, right staying on top of these systems and keeping them safe. Because if the government isn't safe, who is safe? Well, folks, don't touch that. Delby right back. You're listening to Inside Analysis.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Inside Analysis. Here's your host, Eric Tabanac.
Speaker 2: All right, folks back here on Inside Analysis talking to Chris Coligato of fed Stack. This is a new brand that's coming out of smooth Stack and Chris in the last segment you were talking about how COVID was a forcing function. COVID kind of woke all of us up in lots of different ways, and we had to pay close attention to what we're doing. You have to create these immersive experiences for people. So I guess one question I'll ask you is VR. Are you using virtual reality for any of this training.
Speaker 3: We're starting to use VR in certain segments, especially in the enterprise side of things, because some of the clients are actually in the virtual reality environment. So we're experimenting a little bit of that, right, But again it goes back to learning learning preferences.
Speaker 4: So you know, if.
Speaker 3: We are looking at a cohort where they're really receptive to virtual reality, augmented reality type of learning process, we'll shore you'll surely explore that. Uh so far, it hasn't been much demand for that type of immersion levels, but something that they were definitely open to.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's dig back into the cybersecurity. I mean, how how do you stay on top of all the latest do you interface with companies like splunk or uh Solar Winds. Of course, they had their experience with being hacked themselves, which I thought was one of the craziest hacks. I mean, we've seen some really some bad hacks lately. Snowflake was hacked, a lot of customer data was stolen. How do you guys stay on top of the security space to make sure that you are training people for this new generation of technologies?
Speaker 3: So yeah, it goes you know, I actually just brought in one of our cybersecurity UH experts is going to be leading that US for our Tier one to consult arena. But you know, so far, we've been basically working our network, whether it's a product based you know, as you mentioned all all those things that you mentioned earlier, some of the product vendors but also even some of the training vendors that are out there, they're already delivering these types of methodologies in the defense and intel spaces. We keep track of that and we create a partnerships on how to actually develop the curriculum together. You know, they usually deliver a lot of these things either in a just urst of content more of a boot camp style content push, and some of them are very focused just on the certification side of it. That's when we're actually enriching a lot of the existing programs that are out there through our mirrored environment immersion that's kind of new. So we're partnering with a lot of the players out there, both product and trainers themselves, in order to deliver a differentiated offering.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: And now do you also when you do this training and you follow all the way through, so you're helping folks get jobs at these organizations.
Speaker 5: And your clients. Is it any number of agencies?
Speaker 2: Are there specific agencies that you represent or is there a particular focus or one of the agencies that works with you the most, or tell me about that for a minute.
Speaker 3: So we don't currently have any prime contract vehicles, which is one of the key things that I'm looking to explore, hence the expansion of our services to full technology consulting.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: So a lot of our delivery is through our partners, Like our customers are basically your large systems integrators that are mid tiers and then basically they serve they serve the government and a lot of these contracts, right, So you look at some of the lart and you can name you know, you know, anyone out there that's serving the federal government.
Speaker 4: They need to ramp up very quickly, right, And a lot.
Speaker 3: Of cases they would say, hey, I need somebody who knows Java, and they'll go in there and test it out, but they don't know the other eighty percent of the stack that's going to be required for that piece.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: That's where we come in and say, well, instead of piecemealing how you bring your talent in, you can get a cohort of ten that could function equivalent to cohort of twenty when you're trying to piecemeal the talent that you're trying to put together. We will put the talent together for you, fat in a very fast method, in a cost effective way. We're actually, i would say we're the greening strategy for a lot of the sis because we are actually creating this new talent pool for very affordable resources because a lot of them are just coming out of college, coming out of former military breaking in. But what they're finding out is the folks that graduate from our programs are equivalent to somebody that they can come out of the street with two to three years level of experience already that level of equivalency. So it's become a very very strong value proposition for us, both from the cost perspective, and then the upfront cost is all the risk is on us. We provide a training these are paid apprenticeships right well, they're on our books, and then when we deploy them to our partners, that's where they actually had their consulting experience and build out. So that's kind of like a win win situation between us and our partners. At the same time that we're going directly to the government. Our strategy now is the you know, starting to now that we have our brand a little bit of recognitions now and about ten different agencies at this point through our partners, is to start looking at being a small business going directly to the government and actually offering these services directly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: You know, I was speaking with a gentleman named Alvin fu who is quite a prominent thought leader on LinkedIn.
Speaker 5: He's got hundreds of thousands.
Speaker 2: Of followers, he's all over the world, and we were talking about artificial intelligence, and he made a very interesting point the other day on this very show.
Speaker 5: In fact, he said that in the old days.
Speaker 2: Of business, if you walked in and said I've got twenty years or twenty years of experience, that was a real benefits. These days, it's not as much because the systems are so different, the environment is so different, and you almost have to unlearn old ways of doing things to appreciate the new ways of doing things.
Speaker 5: Do you do you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Do you feel like, yeah, I absolutely agree with that. Actually, that was a really interesting conversation between me and our CTO here because I said, hey, you know, I came in with thirty years of experience in industry, and it was like, oh, you know, yeah, me too, I have, you know, from something similar. But don't think about it as an advantage necessarily, because some cases you do have to unlearn some of these things. When you start looking at some of the technologies available.
Speaker 4: What we call the.
Speaker 3: Digital native folks that are coming up a high school college, they're already immersing these things and they can pick up things very quickly, multiple stacks before somebody. It's actually sometimes harder to teach somebody who's you know, got the ten years experience to adopt and learn the new technology because they're so biased and some of the way they've been thinking of you know, old you know, old system, old methodologies. They have to unlearn some of that in order to accelerate the learning on the new technologies.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, we had a guy in the show a while ago, Chris Gladwin. He is the CEO of a company called Oscience, and they do hyper scale data warehousing where they can literally ingest trillions of records. We're talking just gobsmacking amounts of data. And he mused that you can't be looking at log files like individual log files anymore. You have to be scanning and using machine learning to see patterns in the log files. And this is an example of how much things have changed.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of like, I mean, this is maybe not the best analogy, but in auto repair, it used to really have to know what this was and what that was.
Speaker 5: These days they stick that little.
Speaker 2: Thing in there and they get their reading in the computer. And it's a whole different ballgame for how you address problems, how you understand the problem space, what you do to solve it.
Speaker 5: So all these things, you.
Speaker 2: Know, some of the folks are you kind of have to unlearn some of what they've learned in order to really embrace this new age.
Speaker 4: Right absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, so we're teaching how to do modern modern development, right, if you start trying to teach folks that are coming from the old school, they're doing manual test, development, doing all the stuff. A lot of that is automated nowadays, right, And how do you package and deploy to the cloud? Very different when you're trying to deploy an on premise situation. For most people actually kind of live most of their careers in and you have to actually really teach them that advancement is and they actually get shocked when you say how easy it is that these things are auto. Instead of testing for weeks, these things are checked in multiple multiple times a day, tested the whole harness multiple times a day, and is ready to deploy tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, And that's the kind of speed that you need these days because if you think about all the tools that we have at our disposal, well guess what, the bad guys have all those tools at their disposal as well. And you know, we've seen some really, really bad hacks. I always point to the Colonial pipeline hack, which you know the media said was not state sponsored.
Speaker 5: I don't really believe that.
Speaker 2: I don't expect you to comment on it, but you know, when when an organization brings down the distribute distribution of gas for the eastern seaboard. I mean that's a real serious problem, right. That's not like the you know, the target breach or something where customer data stone that's bad too, But goodness gracious, when something is important as fuel is deprived of huge areas of the country, that's what you really have to start focusing. And that's I think there's a wake up call to a lot of people in the security space to realize that these threats are very real. They are persistent what do they call them APT advanced persistent threats, right, yep, yeah, And you know.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot of things that are continue to merging. I guess it's cat and mouse, right. Vendor partners are constantly trying to be ahead of it, and all the perpetrators are of course trying to one up the next the next solution. But a lot I think the weakest link in all of that is still around the people.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So when you talk about inside our threat, unless you have a holistic approach to really patch all the different layers of security, you're always going to be vulnerable. We can't just be totally reliant just on the advanced technology. But you have to get your people trained and that they're not creating the vulnerabilities themselves. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, I get really excited about some of the newer technologies and you think about the capacity we have now to scan entire net works to map them out, where are the apps, whereas the data going, who's accessing the data? And there are just huge areas that you can close off. I mean, we didn't used to have the capacity to really understand who's using one and when at some sort of significant scale, but now we have that. And there's some basic things like users who haven't logged in in the past six months, shut them down. They're probably gone, right and just see right, right.
Speaker 9: Right, right exactly.
Speaker 4: It actually does that.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: Well, And that's the other side of the equation too, right, is that it Historically you could have a policy. There was a bunch of words that someone had to manually update and enforce.
Speaker 5: You don't have to do that anymore.
Speaker 2: You can have policies that are extant and affect information systems dynamically. Now you still have a manual override switch at some point say okay, the machine did this, but I wanted to do that. But still when you automate that you solve probably eighty percent of your challenges out of the box, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you're starting to wed to a lot of the self healing platforms now, right, so you don't have to really have the intervention, getting the right policies and business shows out there and pretty much you know, lock and loaded. Right, it just does that, and you know, you just have to worry about some of the notifications. And with a lot of the data that comes in, you can control how much or how little you know that you can actually then prioritize where you can actually have the human the loop to intervene as necessary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Well, and just in terms of data usage and data storage, for example, to be able to isolate cold data, understand nobody's using this data? You know, do we really need it? And I mean this is a full time job for folks, even with the new technologies, to be able to scan these environments. Data governance, right, I mean, I'm guessing you've probably seen this too. Data governance. We talked about it ten years ago. You couldn't really do it. Five years ago we talked about it. We're starting to be able to do it now, you can really do very fine grained data governance in all kinds of environments.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, absolutely, And you know it's taken from the policy or the written documents and actually scripting and actually automating that, right, so it's actually executable. In the past, it's about, hey, here's the policy, somebody has to interpret it. Then you have to kind of write the sop to and hope that somebody will actually react and perform it.
Speaker 2: Right, Right, that's the thing you used actually just hope, you know, and pray that someone was actually reading it and then adhering to it. These days, it is a completely different environment. And you know, I'll just throw another fun concept that you I was at the out Systems conference in Amsterdam last November and they just came out their a local platform. They just came out with Mentor is their new copilot, and you could actually load a requirements document into this thing and it will generate the app for you and then you just start fine tuning it. That's an example of how much things have changed, right that you can just because the JENAI can read pars understand the text. And you know what they did that blew my mind is the agent actually noticed a missing option and filled it in automatically.
Speaker 5: Now that's when.
Speaker 2: You're really getting somewhere and using the machines to the greatest of their strengths.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's a balance, right, So, and we always consider that in our training, right because before we you know, in traditional sense of how you know, you do applications development, you go through the different methodologies and teach them everything. Right now they have to really learn how to code tests with AI or agents at their disposal, right, and you can have multiple agents that they can be working on, so almost as a programmer, you're not just an individual now, right, you actually have to learn almost to manage these agents. And then the sort of like the traffic cop or referee as a final arbiter says, okay, this is a fine. This is the final code. It's what it's supposed to be. But it's not like you're doing it from scratch.
Speaker 2: Right, No, this is what Jensen Hwang was talking about just the other day, saying that ID departments will be more like HR departments for AI agents in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good analogy, which.
Speaker 5: Is pretty funny. Right, You're like, wow, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I do think there's a good ways to go still in being able to effectively harness such agents, shepherd them, manage them, catalog what they're doing, be able to really understand what they're allowed to do.
Speaker 5: Because you've turned something fully autonomous.
Speaker 2: You never know what's going to happen out there, but it is moving very very quickly. And you were seeing this agentic focus from big companies like of course Salesforce is doing that. Lots of small companies too. Well, folks, don't touch the That'll be right back where you're listening to Inside Analysis.
Speaker 1: Expected, Welcome back to Inside Analysis. Here's your host, Eric Tabanac.
Speaker 2: All right, folks back here on Inside Analysis, a fascinating show with Chris Coligato. He is with fed Stack. This is a new brand spine out of the smooth Stack operation. They train folks to work for the big service integrators that work for our US government and get things done. And I guess one question i'd ask you is what was the impetus to launch fed stack as a separate entity or as a separate brand.
Speaker 5: What happened that.
Speaker 2: That led you guys to believe, hey, we need to do something different here, we need to have a new focus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when we look at you know, the origins of smooth Stack when it started about five sixty five, six years ago. Uh, the initial focus was on the enterprise side, right, commercial companies and so on, And when we started looking at marketing some of these things into the federal market, it's almost like by accident that we've found out that there's an actual, real need and gap for actual partnering with systems integrators. They become basically became our initial targets because they're the ones that are actually trying to fulfill a lot of the talent requirements for the federal government. And it's a very slow process, each one competing with each other with the same pool of resources. And it became you know, apparent to us because one of our founders here actually had a previous company that was also doing a lot of consulting and they had to compete for the same pool of resources. And when they discovered that, hey, if we really want the quality of people that we want in order to serve as our main clients, we actually have to come up with our own way of actually training them up. And so it was born out of that experience as a separate company where they developed this that they say, you know, what we can actually offer this to other partners now, And that's kind of how we was born, right, It's like, all right, we kind of figure out what the seksaurcewise, we do it for ourselves, we prove that we can do it better than anybody else, and basically started really adding logos of new companies and then it started from there. But it became very apparent that what we're doing it's a very different way of doing business, at least from a growth perspective on how you go after work in the enterprise or commercial sector versus a very highly regulated environment.
Speaker 4: For instance.
Speaker 3: You know, in order to deploy somebody to a commercial environment, it's pretty easy. They don't have a lot of background investigation, security clearances, and things like that. We have to ensure that when somebody graduates from a class, they're actually ready and able to actually work, right. So that's part of an additional offering that we have with our partners and directly to the government is while people are training on our dime, they're already going through the secret or top secret interim clearance processes, so that when we say they're ready to report after twelve weeks, they really can actually execute rather than waiting for months and months even you know, to be vetted in, right. So we felt that, you know, knowledge of how you do business in the federal government is different than the way we actually do transactions and the commercial sector. And it also became apparent that, hey, we also want to be in the prime game at some point, right. So at this point, we're serving a lot of the partners that we have on board our Tier two and three training, Tier three services, and we wanted to actually be in control of our own destiny, and we wanted to basically deliver solutions themselves, right, and also continue the career path for the folks that we've actually have been training up so far. A number of that is being converted to our partners as their employees in the future as we start to expand our offerings and actually doing a consulting, we're actually creating a career path for them to continue should they decide not to move forward with existing projects they're deployed to. We're creating an opportunity for them to actually continue their employment with fedstack and serving and full consulting well after they've gotten some of the experience of the entry level professional services. They can actually get a career path all the way through solutions, architects, senior architects, and so on as they pursue an next step with the career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's great, and I mean I know from experience, and I'm sure you've seen this as well, that when someone really knows what to do in a situation involving industrial enterprise technology, they can save you time money. I mean we're talking weeks, months, millions of dollars, even billions of dollars if they really know what they're doing. And it's difficult for people to ascertain that. I mean, if you don't know, it's like we always joke about in the old days the car repairman was like a doctor who told you was wrong, how much it would take to fix in everything. It's like, well, if you're on the outside, how can you challenge it. I mean, the business leaders and the government leaders need to know some of this stuff to be able to challenge things and understand.
Speaker 5: That's why it's so.
Speaker 2: Important to get a good trusted advisor to help you on these projects, right, because they can make all the difference in the world.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Yeah, absolutely so, I think that's a very good point, because another piece that kind of differentiates us is we're not just doing technical training, right, So part of actually our curriculum is to do well rounded consultants at the end of the process, right, So we teach them how to communicate in a target environment for let's say, for a particular project within an agency. We also teach them how to operate with that agency, give them lessons on the mission itself. And that's a big different difference between the commercial and the federal side is it has to be mission aligned, right, So it's not just about the technology that you're doing. You need to understand with the mission you're supporting. And that combination of mission knowledge coming from the experts and the clients themselves immersed with the technology know how, that's a really great combination that we're trying to push forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's the next generation.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talk about the ten X developer for example, which refers to someone who really either knows the full stack or knows enough that they don't waste time and they can really produce quickly. And these days that's going to rely heavily on using copilots, on being open minded about what these systems can tell us understanding that a copilot will get you almost all the way there. I think eighty percent is a good rule of thumb, the Preado principles everywhere in life, right, they can get you eighty percent of the way there, and then you have to do the fine tuning to kind of finish that all out. But to not embrace those technologies is really a non start of these days.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Oh, yeah, you're going to be left behind, right, because everybody's doing that in all aspects. An in the federal business for example, not just from the technology folks that we're training, but even our business development right as we're responding to RFIs and rps. You better believe it that you need you know, AI and just being able to sift through the mountains of data just to qualify you know what you're going to be right and then get a starter, setup a draft at least to meet some of the compliance requirements. And you know, when you look at using a co pilot, let's say pointed to a public training database or LLM, you need to make sure that you're augmenting it with your private training data set that's unique to your organization. Otherwise everybody is pulling from the same data, the same hallucinations, and you look at some of the folks that are actually on the client side and receiving end, it's like, well, you know what, you're just using copilot on this one. Everybody else does you submit exactly the same content as can get really funny. So I think that's how we organizations will kind of this forward. I'd say you're right about eighty percent of it is just to be an equal footing with your competitors that everybody else is using it. Where you have to make the differentiator is what is your private training data that allows you then to actually put forward what's really unique about your organization.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, and there are so many different realms to address. I guess legacy systems. That's got to be a concern for government agencies and for the sis that you work with is how do we migrate away from some of these systems. You know, some of these environments are using old operating systems that are not even maintained anymore. That in and of itself is a huge space to address.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Yes, a lot of these modernizations have been going on for decades, right, They've been involved in some of the agencies that they started it thirty years ago, right and still still ongoing. And some of these systems already you know, back to the fifties and sixties when they were initially built. I think the next challenge though, I think everybody is trying to modernize, moving from the old coboal you know, assembly languages into the even away from the main frames into into some of the newer technologies.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 4: But I think the next challenge.
Speaker 3: Would be how about the workforce program managers technical managers of the old system. Once it's migrated, right, you then need to equip them on how to manage in the new technology.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's actually an interesting thing.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: That's why we actually uh created our Tier three services, our partner training both straight to the government is being able to say, how do we help you in your transition. You're all in, everybody's involved, our partners sis the government. They just move from the legacy system and they just upgrade it to the new sets of technologies. Well, they know the domain knowledge, right and the business policies and the old one, they don't know how to translate and operate in the new environment. So in fact, helping folks that preserve that old knowledge because that's important or to operate in a new environment. But they need to learn how to operate in the new environment. So that's really how our two er three offering really originated, is for that demand that a lot of folks are in modernization. Then they're figuring out, oh my god, I have a lot of talent here I need to preserve, but they're not used to the new technology. So there needs to be a transition, right, preserving that old knowledge and being able to operate in the future.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, well, folks, podcast bonus segment coming up next. We'll be right back, I mean, all right, folks, time for the podcast bonus segment here on Inside Analysis with Chris Coldegato of fed Stack and Chris, lots of people out there are looking for jobs. You know, we're in a very strange time right now. You're going to see lots of layoffs at big companies as companies really try to reorganize and understand how to work in this new world because with all these copilots, well, let's face it, people who have jobs are going to have to do slightly different jobs or even significantly different jobs and really stay abreast of what's happening out there. So what's your advice to folks to help them understand maybe which direction they should go if they want to work with you, which path should they follow? How do you know what you're going to enjoy doing? What's your advice to people looking for work right now?
Speaker 3: So you know, I think it's important to know kind of what level you're at at this point. Right, we specialize on a lot of the folks that are actually in the entry level folks, right, so we're creating that launching that career path for folks that are exiting in college or just trying to break in the same thing with the former military. If you're in a situation where you are experience and you're experiencing a layoff, right, it could be a little bit of a shock when you try to enter the market and you're used to working in the legacy environment and now you're asked to operate in an environment you've never been exposed to. And so I think that's critically important that you gain the proper skills that's marketable in the current environment.
Speaker 4: We talked a lot about AI and.
Speaker 3: Basically augmenting what you may you may be an experienced developer in the past, but a lot of expectation is that you have to learn how to program together with your assistance or your AI assistance, and that's a brand new gain. So in order for you to not only differentiate yourself, but just to keep up right because your competition is actually probably not necessarily the uh, the tenured resources, but even the upcoming uh you know, younger generation who's actually been brought up in this type of technology. Right, So it's it's very very important to understand the landscape, who your competitors are, and then be able to highlight what your value proposition is.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And one final question I'll throw at you, which part of the market do you think is most underserved? Is there an area like AI, cybersecurity, analytics, data infrastructure? Are there any areas that seem to be bigger than others in terms of opportunities that you're seeing Right now?
Speaker 4: AI is exploding, so that's very important.
Speaker 3: Data centers are popping up, which basically, you know, coming with AI, it's kind of chicken our eggscenario there one is kind of feeding each other, right, we'd add the a b AI more computing power, more data center is going to be up, so technicians on the data center area is actually a very strong growth area to focus on, which also can gain you exposed to some of the AI applications development. Maybe a good entry way is to start of getting exposed to the infrastructure that's going to be housing a lot of this AI and computing power. So I think those two And of course CyberSecure is always a requirement, So regardless of what you're heading, you need to make sure that you're well rounded. Any kind of solutions you're developing is well grounded in security.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's really good advice.
Speaker 2: And I always suggest to folks, and I'm guessing your degree, focus on something you really enjoy. If you are naturally curious about hardware, go down the hardware road. If you're naturally curious about app development, focus on app development. Mean that example I gave about these new machines, these new systems being able to load a requirements document into a gen AI oriented engine and have it build an app for you. I mean, that's just crazy. That is so much different than the way it used to be. And whenever you see these huge advances in productivity, you got to jump on board quick, right, Final thoughts from you.
Speaker 4: Chris, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a very fast changing environment and so going to be left behind very quickly unless you keep up. So you may be busy doing kind of what your your day job is, but you need to kind of do your homework and really continue to learn. Continuous learning is what you're going to give you, you know, keep your value long term.
Speaker 5: That's great, that's great advice.
Speaker 2: Well, look these folks up online, Chris Coligato co O L I G A d O.
Speaker 5: It's fed Stack.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on doing some good work keeping our country safe, prosperous. That's what we want to see here, folks. Seventy meilf I want to be on the show. Info at inside analysis dot com. We'll talk to you next time you've been listening to Inside Analysis.
Speaker 11: Ey digits lock them in for more information. Recreation and Guaranteed fun case a A.
Speaker 7: What is your plan for your beneficiaries to manage your final expenses when you pass away?
Speaker 9: Life?
Speaker 7: Insurance, annuity, bank accounts, bestment account all require deficity which takes ten days based on the national average, which means no money's immediately available and this causes stress and arguments.
Speaker 12: Simple solution the beneficiary liquidity clan use money. You already have no need to come up with additional funds. The funds wrote tax deferred and pass tax free to your name beneficiary. The death benefit is paid out in twenty four to forty eight hours out a deficitt ury money out a definitive all I said one eight hundred free zero six fifty eighty six.
Speaker 9: You like to safely leverage bank money to earn double digit returns income tax free, with guarantees and no downside market risk. How can you do this? This is Farence host of the Your Personal Bank Show.
Speaker 8: One.
Speaker 9: You fund a high cash value policy one time to earn dividends and interest to establish a bank line of credit using the cash in your policy as collateral. When you earn more in dividends from your policy than the interest the bank charges, you keep the difference, and the difference is average two to five percent annually in your favor for the past forty plus years. Three the bank funds contributions years two to twenty plus. Each year the bank adds funds, your rate of return increases. Your average rate of return can grow too strong, double digits annually within a few years. Contact me at your Personal Bank dot Com Your Personal Bank dot Com or eight sixty six two six eight four four two two eight sixty six two six eight four four two two for more info, or tune in to the Your Personal Bank Show.
Speaker 1: Your Personal Bank Show airs Tuesdays at four pm right here on CASEAA ten fifty AM and one oh six point five f M, the station that leaves no listeners behind.
Speaker 11: If you're looking for a fuller, part time sales position and you have radio, TV or print media experience, KCAA has a great opportunity waiting for you that pays the highest commissions in the market. If you're interested in a sales position with US, email CEO at case AA Radio dot Com.
Speaker 13: Kca T, Hebot Club's original pure powd Drgo super Ta helps build red corpusoles in the blood, which carry oxygen to organs and cells. Our organs and cells need oxygen to regenerate themselves. The immune system needs oxygen to develop, and cancer dies in oxygen. So the T is great for healthy people because it helps build the immune system, and it can truly be miraculous for someone fting a potentially life threatening disease due to an infection diabetes or cancer. The ta is also organic and naturally caffeine free. A one pound package of tea is forty nine ninety five, which includes shipping. To order, please visit to hebot club dot com. T hebo is spelled T like tom, a h ee b like boyo. Then continue with the word T and then the word club. The complete website is to Hebot club dot com or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight Monday through Saturday nine am to five pm California time. That's eight one eight six one zero zero eight zero eight eight to Hebot Club dot com.
Speaker 14: Bobula here with my home improvement tip of the day. If you're in the dark about some of the latest advancements in flashlight technology, here's a quick summary. Conventional flashlights, which rely on bulky D sized batteries and bulbs with filaments, are increasingly being replaced by lights with LEDs that's light emitting diodes or lights with fluorescent bulbs. Unlike other lights, LEDs have no filament to burn out. Instead, they're powered by tiny semiconductors. LEDs draw only a minuscular amount of power, so batteries last much longer than in conventional lights. Fluorescent lights are also taking an increasing share of the market. They're especially popular in lantern type products with their elongated fluorescent tubes. They put out a lot of lights, so they do a good job of illuminating larger areas, say your dining room during a power outage. Fluorescence do take a lot of power, though, so you'll want to keep plenty of batteries on hand. Get more info at Bobula dot com and right here at home with me.
Speaker 4: Bob feed down.
Speaker 13: It's a bird, it's a pan.
Speaker 11: No, it's super raw.
Speaker 15: Okay, a gimmicky opening for a commercial about super Roth universal life insurance, but I'm sure it got your attention. Now, what is a super Roth, you ask. It's a permanent indexed universal life insurance that's totally liquid and easily accessible once it matures. Can be used to supplement retirement savings or a death benefit, or both. Has no income or contribution limit, has no five year rule like roth iras, has no ten percent penalty for accessing the funds before age fifty nine.
Speaker 11: And a half.
Speaker 15: Oh, and the average historical returns are five to seven percent annually. Tax freight. Super Roths also lock in gains, which means you don't lose your money when the market is down. It sounds incredible, right sounds super super Rocks are the way of the future, specifically your future. To see if you qualify for a super Roth, go online to the Superwroth dot Com.
Speaker 16: Tune into The farrand Dozier Show. Music Marks Place in Time, the soundtrack to life. Sunday nights at eight pm are KCAA Radio playing the hottest hits and the coolest conversations Sunday nights at APM on The Ferrand Dozier Show within the array of music, talk, sports, community outreach and veteran resources.
Speaker 9: The hits from the sixties.
Speaker 16: Seventies, eighties, nineties, and today's hits. The ferand Dozier Show on KCAA Radio on all available streaming platforms and on a six point five m and ten fifty AM The ferrando Zier Show on KCAA Radio.
Speaker 6: KCAA Radio has openings for one hour talk shows. If you want to host a radio show, now is the time. Make kca your flangship station. Our rates are affordable and our services are second to none. We broadcast to a population of five million people plus. We stream and podcast on all major online audio and video systems. If you've been thinking about broadcasting a weekly radio program on real radio plus the Internet, contact our CEO at two eight one five nine nine ninety eight hundred two eight one five nine nine ninety eight hundred. You could skype your show from your home to our Redlands, California studio, where our live producers and engineers are ready to work with you personally. A radio program on KCIA is the perfect work from home advocation in these stressful times. Just type KCAA Radio dot com into your browser to learn more about hosting a show on the best station in the nation, or call our ceo for details too eight one five nine nine ninety eight hundred.
Speaker 8: Listening to KCAA Melinda at one oh six point five FM K two ninety three cf Brito Bealley.
Speaker 6: One of the best ways to build a healthier local economy is by shopping locally. Teamster Advantage is a shop local program started by Teamster Local nineteen thirty two that is brought together hundreds of locally owned businesses to provide discounts for residents who make shopping locally their priority. Everything from restaurants like Corkis to fund times at SB Raceway and much much more. If you're not currently a teamster and you want access to these local business discounts, contact Jennifer at nine oh nine eight eight nine eight three seven seven Extension two twenty four.
Speaker 5: Give her a call.
Speaker 6: That number again is nine oh nine eight eight nine eight three.
Speaker 5: Seven seven Extension two twenty four.
Speaker 10: NBC News Radio. I'm Lisa Carton. Both Canada and Mexico are responding to new US tariffs with retaliatory measures of their own. The news follows President Trump's decision to implement twenty five percent tariffs against Mexico and Canada. He also imposed an extra ten percent levy on Chinese goods. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his country will implement twenty five percent tariffs against US goods starting tuesday. Mexican President Claudia Sinbaum also said sheep plans to follow suit, but no specifics were given. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is set to meet with President Trump on Tuesday. The meeting would make him the first foreign leader to visit the White House during Trump's second term. In a letter to nettan Yahoo, President Trump said he looks forward to discussing how they can bring peace to Israel and their efforts to counter our shared adversaries. Netanyahu's visit comes as negotiations are expected to resume between Israel and the Palestinian militant group AMAS to extend the ongoing ceasefire. The acting fb BI director is reportedly pushing back on the Trump administration's order to fire senior FBI officials. On Friday, several of the FBI's lead executives who helped investigate President Trump's alleged crimes were removed from their roles. Brian Driscoll sent out a memo saying he'd been ordered to remove eight senior FBI executives in turn over the names of every FBI employee involved in capital riot cases. Driscoll reportedly refused the Justice Department's order so aggressively that other FBI officials feared he would be forced out. Are you winging it for the Super Bowl? Broccoli might be a cheaper party snack this year. A Super Bowl watch party will cost about the same as last year. A Wells Fargo report shows feeding ten people for the Big Game will run around one hundred and thirty nine Bucks, which is just ten cents more last year. You're listening to the latest on NBC News Radio.
Speaker 8: NBC News on CACAA level. The day sponsored by teamsterun's Local nineteen teen thirty two. Protecting the Future of Working Families Cheamsters nineteen thirty two, dot org