Speaker 1: Hello again, Welcome back.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a.
Speaker 1: True crime podcast morning. The following podcast material in more mature audience. Listener discretion is advised. Dun d. We're back, yes, micube, Yeah, it happens, says uh, says you. Every episode you're bumping your mic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But also people can't even hear it.
Speaker 1: That's true. So that's because I put noise reduction in there.
Speaker 2: Good work.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm trying. Good job, trying. I'm trying. In the Podcas guest in Daily Life. You know, the spring cleaning's coming out, and I've been trying to get things together around the house, but it's hard.
Speaker 2: We're trying to get our shit together. Yeah, but it's not really very successful.
Speaker 1: I mean we're trying. That's what counts, right, because.
Speaker 2: We have a big move coming up. I don't know if these people know that, but where are I think we've kind of like we've touched on it slightly, but we're moving into a tiny home in the summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're going like full on, like on wheels and everything. We have a piece of land selected right now currently and this house that we're in is going to be going up for sales soon Full.
Speaker 2: Glass Lifestyle Change, my friends Lass Lifestyle Change. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well this house is too big for us because it's just you and me and it's what three bedrooms up. We got another bedroom going in downstairs with potential more that could be made the three bathrooms double garage.
Speaker 2: I mean, we didn't think it was too big at one point, but then it's a lot of cleaning and we rather just like travel and live life than need a big house.
Speaker 1: Really sit in our little tiny home cottage off in the country talking about murderers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Podcast, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be so fun, our first podcast that we record in there.
Speaker 1: Oh, we should like see if we can have something that really pertains to like an RV or like a small cabin.
Speaker 2: Does anyone have any suggestion.
Speaker 1: Oh that that'd be good. There's like a cabin in the Is there something that's like really spawn like horror movies like Cabin in the Woods.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's a terrible idea. You want to traumatize me?
Speaker 1: I think great, it would be a great way to break in our first episode in the tiny home.
Speaker 2: It would. Yeah, we're starting to buy things for it, like at a little dot handheld dice in a little mosquito stuff because the mosquito's out there are horrific.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're looking into a lot of things like water tanks and hauling in gravels for the lot and power those sort of things, and of course getting rid of all of our excess stuff that we don't need. So we're doing a lot of donations and selling on Facebook, which is a horrific experience because people do not ever ever like follow the listing at all. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I bet you there's a true crime thing for selling shit on Facebook. Oh I bet, because I think people like have set people up and ship I should find one.
Speaker 1: Well, I do know that people like they'll they'll definitely like set someone up and be like, oh you know, I'll buy this off you or I've got this for sale, and then when people get money, they just like remove off Facebook block and they just go completely a wall and just steal the money. So that's the thing that happens I know a lot. I see it on Facebook all the time where people get scammed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because people are kind of a whole sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's got to.
Speaker 2: Be our people. Our people are good.
Speaker 1: What do you mean our people?
Speaker 2: Our listeners?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I was like, I don't know family or is that a racist comment? No, I know you want to be racist.
Speaker 2: That was the opposite of what I was being.
Speaker 1: I would just like, we mean by our people, like who are the listener?
Speaker 2: I just see like our listeners are good people.
Speaker 1: Well so far anyways, we definitely have some cool listeners out there, so a plus, you guys are being super cool and awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, yeah, So what do you got in store for us today? Man?
Speaker 1: I have a crazy case. Okay, but this one's not like crazy as in what we've done recently, our last few episodes, we've done a lot of like murders, a lot of gruesome stuff. So I kind of wanted to take a bit of a left turn and not go quite so gruesome and horrific, more of just like, how is this possible? What the f happened? So we got an unsolved case. There is no deaths that we know of in this case, but it's a big old mystery, a major crime.
Speaker 2: I know you do. I'm surprised you have done more.
Speaker 1: So this is very much so kind of like the Mad Trapper of Rat River, where we just don't know who this guy is very similar because this is the case of the infamous dB Cooper. Have you heard of dB Cooper prior to me talking about it?
Speaker 2: No idea? No, is that bad?
Speaker 1: Probably because this is one of the greatest unsolved mysteries in FBI.
Speaker 2: His huh, it's drinking.
Speaker 1: It's it's pretty intense. Okay, So you're ready.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for you to entertain us.
Speaker 1: I'm you ready for the entertainment.
Speaker 2: I need some entertainment.
Speaker 1: Ready, spaghetti, Let's dive in and do something that runs with spaghetti. I don't know, okay. On the afternoon of November twenty fourth in nineteen seventy one, a middle aged man carrying a briefcase entered the Northwest Orient Airlines Airport in Portland, Oregon. He identified himself as Dan Cooper. He cashed buy a one way ticket bound for Seattle, Washington, and, along with thirty six other passengers and a flight crew of six, he boarded flight number three oh five.
Speaker 2: That's not those Portland and Seattle are not far from each other at all, are they?
Speaker 1: No? No, none at all? Oh okay, but I mean there's there's connecting flights all over the place, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love Portland and Seattle.
Speaker 1: Actually they're nice areas. I've got lots of beer and the coffee. They're really known for the coffee there too, So.
Speaker 2: You should love that place hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Well, we've been there once.
Speaker 2: Portland once, Seattle. I've been a few times.
Speaker 1: I've been to Seattle once and it was only for Emerald City Comic Con because I'm a big nerdy.
Speaker 2: You went with me too.
Speaker 1: Did we go through Seattle?
Speaker 2: He did. We stopped there for an afternoon and like stopped at crab Pot and went to that's right right.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I was thinking that was in Portland still, But no, you're right, yeah, because we were right on the I don't what you call it, but like the coast there with all the like the ferris wheel and stuff.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know what it's called. I should know what it's called. But it's an awesome area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gorgeous. Okay, So I've been there twice. Okay, Okay, but so far, Dan Cooper doesn't sound like a terrible dude. He's just a regular dude going on an airplane right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So on board the flight, Cooper sat in the middle seat in the very last row on the right hand side of the cabin. Cooper was a quiet man who appeared to be in his mid forties, wearing a business suit, a black tie, white shirt, and once he boarded the plane, he wore a pair of black horn rim sunglasses.
Speaker 2: Wow, he sounds like a badass.
Speaker 1: I mean he's definitely looking like it right now. Definitely kind of like got that men in black vibe going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: So before takeoff, he ordered himself a drink because I mean, you know, we're in the seventies here, right, So he ordered it himself ordered He ordered himself a bourbon and soda, and then lit a cigarette.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, on the airplane.
Speaker 1: On the airplane is that shit allowed in the seventies yet?
Speaker 2: Holy shit. I couldn't imagine being on an airplane someone's smoking.
Speaker 1: That's nice total. I believe he smoked eight cigarettes. Gosh, so a short time after a short time after three pm. Sorry. During takeoff, he handed a stewardess by the name of Florence. I'm terrible with names, but I'm gonna try this here. Florence Schaeffer a note. The note read quote, and I can't. I could never find confirmed quotes. So this is a quote I think is proper. Okay, miss I have a bomb here. I would like you to sit by me.
Speaker 2: Some pump thing going off again. Maybe that's like the drum roll.
Speaker 1: Right, Maybe that denoising dropped there. So she was stunned and she did what she was told.
Speaker 2: Okay, so sorry. The note said, miss I have a bomb.
Speaker 1: Miss I have a bomb here, and I would like you to sit by me.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, So like I.
Speaker 1: Said, she stunned and she did what she was told. She sat next to Cooper and the briefcase he was carrying was opened and Cooper showed her a glimpse of a massive wires and eight red sticks of dynamite. He then demanded that she write down what he told her. As a plane gained altitude. She soon was walking to the cabin or sorry, the cockpit of the plane with a note that said, I want two hundred thousand dollars by five pm in cash. Put it in a knapsack. I want two backpack parachutes and two front parachutes when we land. I want a fuel truck ready to refuel no funny stuff, or I'll do the job. So that's what she delivered to the pilot.
Speaker 2: So does he want that fricking money by the time they land?
Speaker 1: Pray much, you're getting a little bit ahead here, Yeah, that's what he wants prepared by the time they land.
Speaker 2: That's quite the fucking demand, right, So.
Speaker 1: This is it's pretty intense what's going on. And during the flight, the flight attendant by the name of Tina Mucklow took her place beside beside Cooper as the other stewardess made her way to the front right, and she was now Cooper's point person, relaying messages over the phones the plane's inner phone back and forth between him and the cockpit for the next hour and a half, because, like you said, Seattle and Portland are very close, right, yeah, so when need to arrive to its destination. Over the next hour and a half, the plane maintained a holding pattern above Seattle while ground crews arranged the fueling truck and authorities produced a ransom and four parachutes.
Speaker 2: Good lord, so they're actually like listening to him.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got a plane full of thirty six passengers and six crew members and a.
Speaker 2: Bomb, I guess, but like, how do they know for sure that's a legit bomb?
Speaker 1: Well better than rolling the dice.
Speaker 2: Right, touche toche.
Speaker 1: So what the authorities got together was ten thousand dollars in sorry, ten twenty dollars bills. They were collected from a nearby bank, and four shoots were supplied by a skydiving school. Now, the money collected from the bank was like a previously collected thing that was already set aside just in case of a scenario just like this. Oh okay, So the bank had already recorded the serial numbers and they were documented. Every single bill was able to be traced.
Speaker 2: That's smart, yep.
Speaker 1: So they were on the ball ready just in case. Right now, the four shoots is actually pretty significant here, because why would one dude need four parishies?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was kind of wondering that actually, So.
Speaker 1: What it is here is the front parachute and a back parachute. One is a primary and one is a secondary, So one person will wear two shutes. Okay, okay, Now him asking for four led the FBI to believe he's planning on taking a hostage. Ah, so they never tampered with the parachutes at all. They didn't want to risk the life of a civilian, so they supplied what they thought were four adequate, untampered with parachutes. This is a little bit of information that's kind of not necessary, but I'll say it now. One of these shots they actually did supply, one of the backup ones, was actually a dummy shoote. They didn't even realize it.
Speaker 2: But oh so it wouldn't go off, then it wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a dummy hute Ooh, it's kind of irrelevant.
Speaker 2: But huh.
Speaker 1: Okay. So by five forty five, Flight three oh five finally made its landing in Seattle the hijacker exchange of flight passengers hijacker being Cooper. Yeah, so those thirty six passengers, most of which didn't even know that there was a hijacking that happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, seriously, that was one question I had, like, do these people know that something's up?
Speaker 1: No, most of them didn't even know. Of course, they would know that they're.
Speaker 2: Circling well and that they're latest. Heck, like you think, Okay, but I'm sure that.
Speaker 1: The pilot was able to keep things under control. Cooper was being very discreet about the whole thing most didn't even, which is no good. Oh, definitely, So he exchanged the thirty six passengers and two flight attendants for the money in parachutes. So he did keep four of the crew members. Okay, So once refueled, they were on ground for a little while here because it was apparently complication with refueling. But once refueled, the plane took off again at seven thirty six PM. Cooper then ordered a non stop course from Mexico City.
Speaker 2: Oh, he knew where he wanted to go.
Speaker 1: He had an exact destination. He instructed they were to fly the plane with the landing gear down, the wing flaps at fifteen degrees, and that they were to stay below ten thousand feet altitude. He also instructed that the lights in the cabin were to remain off and the stairway for the plane to be left open.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: So this is also important here to notify that the stairway for the plane on this model a Boeing. I can't remember the model. I have it later here in the notes. Give it a quick search Boeing three thirty seven or something like that. We'll run into the exact model a little little later here. So on this specific model of plane. The stairs were located on the underside of the plane, facing backwards, so facing the back of the plane.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, so yeah, we'll get into them to visualize that. That's different, right, yeah, it's not normal. Yeah, sure, Okay, Now.
Speaker 1: There are two issues with his requests. A NonStop flight to Mexico City just wasn't possible.
Speaker 2: They have to refuel, right, Oh okay, that's quite a distance.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, because you're going from like Northern States to Mexico.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and on this side of the plane and everything. Just yeah. So anyways, there was some debate about where they were going to land for refuel. Cooper suggested a few spots, but they eventually decided to refuel in Reno, Nevada. Okay, second takeoff wasn't possible with the staircase in the open position, so the flight crew taught Cooper how to operate the stairs so he could open them himself once the plane was airborne.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, he's got a bomb, he's controlling everything.
Speaker 2: Gosh. I just feel like there would have been an opportunity for these people like run the fuck away or like kake him down.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but who knows what specifically he had. Yeah, I mean, if he lets go of that briefcase, for all they know, it could have blow up, and if they try and tackle them, he lets go boom.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: So who knows what the situation really was?
Speaker 2: Like, they're in quite the pickle.
Speaker 1: Yep. So once they were in the air, the crew were to stay in the cockpit and leave Cooper alone.
Speaker 2: Interesting. He didn't want any more.
Speaker 1: Drinks, I guess not. Maybe one final drink. Maybe he did. I don't know, not too sure, but I doubt it. So. Tina Mucklow was one of the stewardess who was still on board. She was the last to see Cooper. She was closing the cockpit door behind her, and he was standing in the middle of the aisle looking as if he was preparing to jump.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Now, after completing the journey to Reno, the plane made its landing safely, and they found Cooper was no longer aboard the airplane.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so they didn't even make that final Mexico City destination.
Speaker 1: Nope, they didn't even make it to refueling and Reno.
Speaker 2: Oh. Interesting.
Speaker 1: So, after completing the journey to Reno. The plane made it safe landing, and he was not aboard. It seems that he jumped somewhere between Seattle and Reno, and he lowered the stairs himself, you know, and just gone.
Speaker 2: And he left.
Speaker 1: And once it was But of course some people might be like, well, how do you know he jumped. Maybe he's hiding on the plane.
Speaker 2: Well I thought that already.
Speaker 1: They searched the plane. He was not him. Yeah, so he wasn't on board the plane. And once they figured that out, they began to actually search the plane for evidence. And what he left behind was this. He left a black clip on tie, eight cigarette butts and two of the four parachutes. Okay, the note that he left behind for the stewardess. He was actually smart enough to take that with him.
Speaker 2: Then, okay, why would they It's a handwritten note, handwriting, that's true. Yeah, I wonder why you need four parachutes and he only used two.
Speaker 1: It could have been employee for the FBI to make them.
Speaker 2: Not oh could smart actually because of the FBI.
Speaker 1: Why does he need four parachutes? He's planning on taking a hostage, and if.
Speaker 2: They would have, if he would have disasked like two, they would have made them both not work exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, he's on this, he's thinking ahead. Yeah, he's smart.
Speaker 2: It totally is.
Speaker 1: The description that was given to investigators led to a many famous sketches. There's several different renditions of the sketches out there. They mostly all look the same. That's just some are a little more refined than others. Some have the sunglasses on or off.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see a sketch.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be up on her Instagram, I know.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: The description was he was a Caucasian male between the age of thirty five to fifty. He was five foot nine to six feet tall, medium build, black, dark brown hair, and brown eyes. Okay, and of course with the clothing and his disposition that we mentioned at the beginning of the podcast here as well.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's such an age span. Sorry, I just have to put that out there.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: I'm like, if I'm fifty verse thirty five, I hope people tell like I want them to tell him thirty five and not fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, But I mean maybe some people look thirty five when they are fifty.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Kind of hope for.
Speaker 2: That, right, Yeah, that's very true.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like this. It's got a lot of gray hair, his hair is receding. But he looked young as fuck. He could have been thirty five, four fifty. I don't fucking know. He's getting ida at the liquor stores. It's all we know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So to try and locate Cooper, investigators needed to try and identify when and where the plane was when he jumped, and to narrow down the search to find him. This was key. This was difficult, though, since no one ever saw Cooper jump or leave the plane exactly, couldn't exactly identified it. And this when I say no one saw him, this also includes two fighter jets that followed the plane that night on the way to Reno.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yep? Did he? I wonder if he knew they were there.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say I doubt it.
Speaker 2: Huh. That's snaky, right.
Speaker 1: The only thing they had to go on, though, was something the flight crew had reported. The last communication with Cooper was over the inner phone or whatever at about eight oh five PM, and approximately ten minutes after that call, the crew experienced some oscillation or vibrations, which is now thought to be from the stairs lowering and his jump.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so that's the.
Speaker 1: Only thing they have to go on when he jumped, right, So we're looking at about eight fifteen pm here around them in like November. So it's like pitch black cold weather.
Speaker 2: Right, that's terrifying, but.
Speaker 1: It's something to go on. It's something, and it's better than nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I just feel like that'd be so terrifying I actually jump aha.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, So they have an idea on when he jumped, right, and now they haven't approximately time, and they can identify the.
Speaker 1: Area because Cooper was not specific on a flight path. He was specific on destination, but not how to get there, right, So they determined Reno was where they were going to refuel. But he never told the pilot what how to fly or where to go or anything. So the pilot took a route that was familiar to him, the route being Victor twenty three Airway. So they have a common, well known route and they have a time window. So you do an estimation, you can pretty much figure out exactly where the plane was when Dbie Cooper jumped, if.
Speaker 2: That's if that's actually when he jumped.
Speaker 1: If that's actually when he jumped. So yeah, huh interesting, and that location was approximately forty kilometers north of Portland.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, it's not even that. Yeah, they didn't make it far at all.
Speaker 1: No, by morning's light, the FBI had the ground and air covered in search crew looking for Cooper. However, remember this is the Pacific Northwest. Yeah, you're outside of large cities, but there's a lot of mountains. There's a lot of dense forest.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So you have a vast area and you're talking about ten thousand feet up approximately in a window where he might have jumped. You have a vast landing area.
Speaker 2: When were they so they were overlap So at that time, yes, they were Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So unfortunately, throughout persistent searching, the investigators never found any trace of Cooper or his items.
Speaker 2: Did he take the bomb with him?
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, took the bomb. He had a main parachute. I didn't put this in here because it's not important, but I brought up that dummy parachute. Yeah, we get into a little bit about the main parachute. But the dummy parachute they theorized because he took that with him rather than the backup parachute. They think he may have took that dummy one on purpose because he used it to still money, because the other backup parachute was actually opened and pulled out as if he was trying to stuff the money in that one.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so.
Speaker 1: They think he wore a parachute and the other backup one was actually for the money.
Speaker 2: Huh. Gotta keep that money safe. Yeah, yeah, those dollar bills.
Speaker 1: So during the search, remember, like I said, the serial numbers on the cash. You know, it was all collected, it was all documented.
Speaker 2: So much smartness going on through this case.
Speaker 1: Oh there is. It's very meticulous.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So as soon as this was like happening, as soon as this was secured that he's got the money and everything, these numbers were made public immediately. They were looking for anyone who came across a bill matching one of these serial numbers. And there was even newspaper articles and rewards of up to twenty five thousand dollars for anyone who could find a bill that matched one of those numbers.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, no one was ever able to find one of these bills and match it to a serial number. No one, no one.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was expecting you to have like a big list of reports.
Speaker 1: Nope, that is that's wild. Not until February tenth of nineteen eighty nine years later.
Speaker 2: Huh So.
Speaker 1: The person to find a matching serial number bill was an eight year old boy named Brian Ingram. He was on a small beach called Tina Bar on the Columbus River, about nine miles downstream of Vancouver, Washington. He was digging in the sand and unearthed three stacks of cash totaling five tho eight hundred and eighty dollars.
Speaker 2: Seriously, he was.
Speaker 1: Like, school right, start the car. I mean, that's probably going to be my reaction when I find stacks of cash.
Speaker 2: No kidding, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. I couldn't find if they got reward money or not find hope.
Speaker 2: So because he could have just kept that shit.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be identified as soon as I try and use it. And the money was quite deteriorated as well.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so anyway, resting.
Speaker 1: I kind of already alluded to it, but Brian's parents gave the money to FBI, who then investigated money. The two packs each contained one hundred twenty dollars bills, and a third pack contained ninety It was a match. These bills had the same serial numbers, and they were still in the same order as when they were given to Cooper nine years earlier, because they recorded the bill stacked all in chronological order even and it was still in that specific order. So there's raised some questions.
Speaker 2: Clearly, Well, yeah, like was it buried there or was it had it fallen or well, I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get you're almost ahead of me a little bit. We're right on that, like did it fall, Like what happened? How did it get there? The area though, in which they estimated Cooper would have landed and where the money was found was over approximately twenty seven kilometers apart, and not to mention, the beach where the money was found wasn't even near the flight path that they took that Victor twenty three or whatever, so they weren't even close to each other.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's kind of close twenty seven kilometers for.
Speaker 1: Ten thousand kilometers up and approximately where he landed, and it's not even in the flight path, I guess.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the.
Speaker 1: First theory that comes up is the money could it have been lost by Cooper and maybe float floating down a river because there's a lot of rivers connect to an area, right, Yeah, So would it have floated down the river and made its way onto Tina Bar there? Not so much, because the Columbus River on the side the bar the where it was found actually flows in the opposite direction.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that theory is out the window.
Speaker 1: That theory is pretty much out the window. But it does kind of draw another question to the flight path because if it was further east in a different drop zone, it could have led to rivers that could have been going down and then connect to the Columbus River and connect to that bar. Or if it was further west, it could have been a lot closer or maybe even have dropped right near there. So it draws that flight path into question. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like that pilot knew what he was doing.
Speaker 1: I think so. But even though these things are still questions. Maybe a little more east, a little more west, that doesn't really explain everything. How would three bundles of cash separate bundles make a twenty seven kilometer journey plus or even falling one hundred thousand feet or whatever, fall side by side on a river bank buried in the same spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was buried. I'm team buried, team buried.
Speaker 1: So although the cash was significantly deteriorated, they were held together by rubber bands, and Cooper made away with his cash nine years ago. Rubber bands don't last that long, especially out in weather. Oh, they're going to deteriorate like snap.
Speaker 2: For the amount that the money had deteriorated, the rubber bands would have by far basically, Well.
Speaker 1: There's actually an experiment that was done in two thousand and nine on this specific brand of rubber bands, and it shows that they could not withstand exposure to open air or water for more than a year. So someone, Wow, that money there within a year.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: So that's eight years after dB Cooper that money was placed there.
Speaker 2: That's wild. And there was ten set ten bills missing, yes, two who.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like, what the fuck happened? And the only real way to explain it is human intervention. Anyway else doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: It might not even have been him. So yeah, someone else could have maybe found this money and just like hiding it.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm not saying it's Cooper, Yeah, but the only way it could have gotten there was a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah who cool?
Speaker 1: Cool cool?
Speaker 2: I like this.
Speaker 1: So with that, the only evidence we have left on Cooper is very little. He took the note from the plane, like I said, I wrote to the stewardess. It's nowhere to be found. So the only sample of handwriting they have from him is on his plane ticket, where he wrote his pseudonym or supposed name.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, if.
Speaker 1: You remember, Cooper was also smoking on the plane. There was eight cigarette butts left behind, and with modern technology we should be able to pull DNA samples and compare them to possible suspects.
Speaker 2: Right right right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That is if we still had the cigarette butts.
Speaker 2: Oh they didn't keep them.
Speaker 1: Uh, they went missing. They're they're just gone.
Speaker 2: Oh he took them too.
Speaker 1: No, they were on the plane. They were found by investigators. What the heck, But now they just don't know where they are. Cool, good job, So those are gone. We had them, but they're gone now.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was later in the early twenty tens, DNA taken from the tie he had left behind. However, that's kind of moot because they don't know if it's actually his DNA because it could have been contaminant DNA from someone else, or it could have been like maybe he just stole that time from someone at the airport, or maybe he borrowed it from a friend. That's true, whose DNA is it?
Speaker 2: Or he just picked it up like a thrift store or something like.
Speaker 1: You have no idea, right, so if he had, if we had those cigarettes, we could say these cigarettes were on his lips, he smoked them, this is his DNA or like.
Speaker 2: A cup or something. I can't believe they didn't have anything.
Speaker 1: They didn't have anything.
Speaker 2: That's actually bad because I was like, this guy's kind of smart. But for him to leave the cup and the cigarettes.
Speaker 1: And stuff, well in the seventies though, DNA's wasn't really a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you got me there.
Speaker 1: So what happened to Cooper to this day is a mystery from here. While we're still got some facts to explore, most only suggest minimal to help support theories. Unfortunately. So for example, like the four shoots, two were left behind. Primary shoot was a the primary shoot of one left behind There we go when was a quote unquote luxury civilian shoot, while the one he took was an older military model which had no steering. So some people say he like just made a bad choice, he didn't know what he was doing, or there's the argument it could possibly suggest he was comfortable with this model that had and had a military background. Oh okay, and not only that, the airplane model. Here's the model, the Boeing seven twenty seven. It was used by the CIA to drop military personnel in Vietnam War due to its design with the staircase located under the plane facing backwards.
Speaker 2: Ohs okay. So they're thinking that he might have been military military sounds like it or seems like it.
Speaker 1: It's it's a very probable explanation, but still that doesn't lead us anywhere. It could explain some things, but it doesn't really give us much to go on. One of another one of the most common theories actually is that Cooper didn't actually in fact survive the jump. It was nighttime in November, freezing temperatures, it was freezing rain and strong winds. He jumped blindly with a shoot. He couldn't steer into the Pacific Northwest Forest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like by now Small would have found him, or the parachute or something exactly. That's the case.
Speaker 1: That's true, But maybe someone did and didn't know what it was, or it's just deteriorated so far. Who knows.
Speaker 2: I'm going to believe that he's he's didn't I I don't like that one.
Speaker 1: Something that supports what you're saying, though, is there was never a missing person's report matching Cooper's description or the sketch that was ever filed afterwards, which might suggest he's still alive. Oh so no family has reported someone looking like him to be missing, or.
Speaker 2: He just didn't really have family. That could be too.
Speaker 1: It could be it too.
Speaker 2: I feel like lots of people just like I bet there's people go missing and no one's there are There are lots of cases, which it's actually sad, Yeah, real sad.
Speaker 1: One of the first aspects whose initials were dB Cooper was quickly eliminated, though, and due to a news paper mix up they printed the initials dB Cooper in the newspaper rather than Dan Cooper, the name that was the pseudonym name of this guy who was on the airplane. Okay, and well now it's history. Dan Cooper, the pseudonym name is now become dB Cooper because of that print. So that's where the name D. B. Cooper comes in, even though he's referred to as Dan Cooper.
Speaker 2: Interesting, okay, So yeah, huh.
Speaker 1: There's another theory that suggests Cooper was actually Canadian. There's a French comic series with a protagonist pilot by the name of Dan Cooper. It's never been translated to English. I mean maybe it has by modern day, but at the time it definitely wasn't nor sold outside of Canada, and this could be an inspiration for his name.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Also, when Cooper was talking with the pilot on board the plane about his demands, there were some communication between between ground control and the plane and then the plane and dB Cooper, right, okay, between the plane and ground control. Posedly, they quoted him to say he was asking for American currency, which could mean that he's another nationality, because why would an Americans specify American currency?
Speaker 2: That's true, you would just say what you want, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Want the dollars, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So that's another theory that he's actually Canadian.
Speaker 2: So he's up in our parts of the.
Speaker 1: Woods maybe, but again it's just a theory. Yeah, there's there's a lot of theories out there on who dB Cooper is. Uh, there's several suspects out there and thousands of people actually who claim to know who he is. I'm talking like uncles, husbands, grandparents, neighbors, like the list goes on, and of course many people to actually be claiming to be dB Cooper himself, but with no definitive evidence to support any of these claims there there's no nothing to grasp onto. There's people literally on their deathbed saying like, I have something to confess, I'm dB Coop. But of course there's more than one person doing that.
Speaker 2: Why though, that's so interesting? Why do people I don't know.
Speaker 1: Some people could just be so enthralled with the story or enthralled with the tale, or maybe they want to it's some way of them to be remembered forever. They're trying to be dB Cooper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean he kind of seems like a bad ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's definitely some suspects still out there, some people who are like there's some pretty big coincidences going on.
Speaker 2: Ex.
Speaker 1: Military personnel for example, or people with named Dan Cooper, or people who have found their grandparents' possessions, and it's like, Oh, he's got this model parachute up in the attic that was exactly the same as the one used, but it's more than one. And I was trying to go through some of them, and I'm like, if I start going on this route of this guy, this guy, this guy, I'm gonna be this is gonna be like a week long podcast. Yeah, So what I'm gonna do is I am going to drop a link down below with a YouTube documentary that helped me out significantly, significantly with my research actually, and they cover I believe, five different individuals, some of the more high profile people. Okay, so if you want to check out some of the higher suspects, go check them out. There's also an HBO documentary that I haven't watched yet. I want to watch with more people claiming their grandparents or whoever are dB Cooper.
Speaker 2: Because but it also would be scary to admit it at this point. You'd still have to like go to court and stuff. I imagine, like they wouldn't just drop it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of the suspects too, on their deathbed, who they're like, you're dying, like let it, Like we think you're dB Cooper? Are you? And they're like, might be.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Some people are not confirming or denying, and some people are trying to say I am. Some people are saying I know who it is. It's just there's no evidence.
Speaker 2: Shit, I want to know. I want to know.
Speaker 1: We're never gonna know, is the problem?
Speaker 2: Okay? And that the money thing though, that money that they like dug up yep was the only money that they ever came across.
Speaker 1: Then, correct, Wow, Actually something I did come across weird. I can't remember how much it was, but there were I think five or ten different bills that were sold in auction that were the bills that were found on that beach. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, so some of them.
Speaker 1: Were actually sold in auction as like collectibles and this sort of stuff that.
Speaker 2: Were yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: And it was like, I can't remember how much it was sold for, but it was like I think all the bills in total, they were twenty dollars bills, So if it was like ten, that's like two hundred dollars. I think they sold for like thirty two grand or something like.
Speaker 2: Wow, who's making that money?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would want one of those bills, I know, I actually would do. That's super cool.
Speaker 1: There is one more little piece of evidence here I wanted to save to the end. As for Cooper's motive, Okay, why would he do this? Tina Mucklow, if you remember, was one of the stewardest upon the plane, right and while the hijacking and all this was going down, she asked him, like, why are you doing This's what's going on? And he responded, and this is a quote from Tina, Yeah, it's not because I have a grudge toward you towards your airlines. It's just because I have.
Speaker 2: A grudge, just a grudge.
Speaker 1: But against who or why?
Speaker 2: Huh? And like okay, so, like I know what he was doing wasn't great and ship, but like no one really got harmed.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, it was harmed. But he stole a shit ton of money.
Speaker 2: So what was his What was he you know, getting out of this?
Speaker 1: And it's money that he could never spend.
Speaker 2: Exactly because he would have known that too, I saw the news and stuff going on.
Speaker 1: That's kind of one of the things that they were trying to do, is they were trying to prevent him from spending money. And if they did find some money that was spent by him, huh, they're going to find him.
Speaker 2: Man, you should have asked more questions. I should have been on that airline. I would have asked him a million questions.
Speaker 1: Who are you, where do you live.
Speaker 2: What's the grudge? Tell me your background story, can see your identification?
Speaker 1: Holy So, of course, like I said, the Internet swarming with theories and stories about this case, and you can live literally go down a rabbit hole for like years trying to figure out just too dB Cooper?
Speaker 2: Oh, I imagine.
Speaker 1: But the fact remains, who is dB Cooper? It remains one of the greatest unsolved mysteries in FBI history, and.
Speaker 2: It also sounds like it's one that will never know.
Speaker 1: I don't think we will, because if I'm gonna guess, I would say dB Cooper is probably dead dead already, and if not, he's probably on his deathbed. And even if he does, or he's close to being, like he's got only a decade left maybe right, even if he comes forward, there's so many people saying it already. The only thing that's going to prove a person is dB Cooper is if they come forward with the stacks of cash and saying I'm dB Cooper.
Speaker 2: Here's the money I stole, and maybe that parachute or the.
Speaker 1: Note, right, maybe I think the money's the key player here.
Speaker 2: All that money comes out there.
Speaker 1: I think the money is the only way of definitively proving it. If someone says, my grandpa left this in my possession, it's a giant suitcase full of money and it's all the serial numbers.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Even still, though, how do we know that her grandpa, with all that money he left her.
Speaker 2: A friend didn't give it to him or something.
Speaker 1: So we still don't know who dB Cooper is. Dang, I don't think we're ever going to know who dB Cooper is. But if that money comes forward, that's the best shot we get. And I don't know if it'll ever come forward.
Speaker 2: My brain is just going like a mile minute right now. I really want to know. But yeah, it's kind of neat leaving having it as a mystery, but I want to know.
Speaker 1: There's, like I said, there's there's rabbit holes to go down. I have because well, you know, I'm on night shift half the time. I got to stay up to like four am when I'm switching from days to nights. Yeah, I've sat in front of the YouTube, like the rabbit hole going down this video, that video, theories on this, like many a times, it's one of my favorite cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I want to watch this YouTube, yeah, video that you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, well linked below and of course you'll see it before that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's the case. There you have, huh wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I appreciate you guys being here and listening and talking with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much
Speaker 1: And make sure you guys stay wicked.