Speaker 1: RSL finish their preseason action earn a three to three draw against the New York Red Bulls. Now, it's not a the Conker CAF champions Cup. Let's bring in Kurt Schmidt, the guy in charge of all the decisions. Nobody else makes any choices. It's only Kurt, so he is the chief roster constructor. Hello Kurt, Happy Thursday, sir.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 1: How you doing I'm well, appreciate the time. So just let's get some big picture thoughts from you. Now that the preseason is behind us. What'd you like about the group? What are you hoping to learn? And now the preseason is behind us, what are some of the things that you, as the guy in charge of putting this thing together like the most.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think one of the things that jumps out of me the most is the depth of the squad. I think is shown to be really good in preseason. You know, there's a lot of competition in every position on the field, and I think that's something that's going to bode well as we go through the season. If guys are pushing each other every day in training, it's gonna make them that much Scharper on game days. It was really positive to see that. And then I think a close second or a one to eight of that is seeing the way the new guys that joined us last summer vetted in with the full preseason and looked to settle a bit more.
Speaker 1: So early returns as far as the abilities to find the back of the net. You know, we had Pablo on a couple of weeks ago now and Jay stopped by last week, and they both kind of echoed the sentiment that the goals would be by committee. You know, you had a dominant individual goal scorer for a number of matches last year in Cheat Show, and you know, Jason actually brought up you'll get a kick out of this because we're going to talk a little Jeff Cunningham on the show today. Kurt, Yep, you didn't think we were going there, you know when Jay, Yeah, when Jay took over as coach, and you know, Jeff had scored I don't know, like sixteen goals, had twelve assists the year before. No love lost between those two. Jeff knew he was gone. It took like twenty four hours and the question was, well, who's going to score the goals? And ultimately, you know, obviously that led to a situation where you know, euromopsising was good, Sabo was good, but it was more of like a group effort. So early returns of the roster you put together and the ability to find the back of the net, give me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think we struggled to find the back of the net in in preseason. You know, three goals, well three three goals in each of the games we played yesterday with with both groups, you know, three goals on the weekend, I believe, and a couple of goals against New York City, and so I think we've we've been able to find it. You know, guys like you know Forsters hit the back of the net, Alreadys hit the back of the net, Dominic Diogo, Lockey, you know, the guys that play those positions that you expected a goals, they all have all picked up goals in preseason. So obviously it's a you know, it's preseason, so it's always taken with a grain of salt. But seeing those guys find the score sheet, you know, even in preseason, is a huge positive heading into the year.
Speaker 1: So the window closed is April twenty third, so it's not like you tomorrow. You do have some time, and obviously RSL fans and people that follow the club curious as to what potential additions could could come their way, and namely maybe a designated player since you do have that option, and namely a number nine.
Speaker 2: I'm just asking the question, Kurt, what do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the guys that we've got right now, you know, Rane Forster has been the two that have gotten the line, share those minutes, and they're gonna they're gonna play early games and settle in and we'll see how they do. But yeah, we're looking for someone that can come in. And you know, I think those guys have done really well in terms of what they give us, how they execute the game model, the attributes they bring to that, and they fit in.
Speaker 3: Really really well. And I think the only.
Speaker 4: Thing that we would be looking to upgrade over them is is just that experience and track record of finding the back of.
Speaker 3: The net on a regular basis at a high level.
Speaker 4: And obviously those those guys don't have that, not through any real fault of their own. They're just young players.
Speaker 1: Any other areas, because you reference the depth of the team, And of course number nine is the obvious question that people have on their minds as a result of what happened with not just Chico but a number of other attacking players. But away from that area, as you analyze other additions to the roster prior to this window closing in April, what are some of your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, obviously Diego's out right now. You know, Lachlan brook has gotten a lot of minutes in his place, and you picked up a good goal and covers this hunt of ground, and I think he's done really well. I think we've got good depth in the middle of midfield with Ojeita and America and Nelson and Pablo Luiz and even you know, obviously Noelklifkin, who's played a few different positions, even you know behind them, and then and then we've added definitely the back line guys like Kobe Henry. You know, Phil Quintin's injured right now, but he should be back soon, Sam Junkua, all those guys are just adding an extra element of competition at both center back on both sides and both sides at fullback. Javane Brown, Body Hidalgo, those guys that we didn't have as much last year, and so just gives us the extra little bit of accountability and kind of, like I said earlier, when you've got to perform every day in training, it makes you that much sharper for the game. So if guys want to want to get their spot in the squad for Saturday, they've got to bring it every day of the week.
Speaker 1: And that obviously is something that is such a healthy approach when it comes to the old cliche of iron sharpening iron, and you know, you want to make sure guys are working for their food and working for their spot. I did want to ask you about Diego though your reference. Diego's out obviously, situation with a national team and that broken nose or whatever else came down. I mean, it was amazing that he went back in and hopefully that kind of solidified his spot with that staff and they'll continue to look to bring him in for collups and such. And I know it's kind of like a running joke behind the scenes of who found Diego? I give you the credit, you know, but it's just fun banter, you know, because it's funny.
Speaker 2: What's that old saying?
Speaker 1: I can't remember the saying is something about success sons have several fathers and failures, you know, have none or whatever. Of course, everybody wants to take credit because the kid's so good, but what stands out most of you about his growth and what are you expecting from him this year? Because it does feel like I hate to, you know, kind of do the media cliche thing, but in a way, Kurt, it feels like this is kind of Diego's team.
Speaker 5: Now, Yeah, I mean, I look, I'm always reluctant to maybe say that kind of and put that stuff on anybody, but I think he's a guy that has shown to be a reliable key performer and that's what we need.
Speaker 3: And so like for him, his work rate is defending.
Speaker 4: Those are all things he's had to add to his game since coming here, and those are now big strength of his The thing that he needed to add in last year that we were counting on him for was the production, the goals and the assists, and he was.
Speaker 3: Able to do that.
Speaker 4: And so the reality is like we think, I think Diego can take another step and contribute even more on that side of things, and you know, while still maintaining all the other elements that he's doing as he continues to settle in and grow and develop and become more comfortable in his own skin and in this environment.
Speaker 3: So that stuff with the national team is huge. I agree with you. I think that should give him enough.
Speaker 4: Credibility with that staff that they should look at him again and give him a shot with with uh maybe maybe the more you know, first choice group and then rather than just the January camp, and we'll see how he debts, because that's another level up, you know, for him, and a mecca where the speed of plays higher, mistakes get punished faster and more, you know, more heavily, and so you've got to raise your game to make sure you compete at that level. And then when a player does that and then comes back to us, brings that to our environment and maintains that standard with us, holds holds his teammate, heer to that standard, that's going to make us that much better as well.
Speaker 2: What about you know, what are you asking?
Speaker 1: And this is always a difficult thing because it does feel like at times, maybe there are young players that have innate leadership and look, all of these guys are pros, and so they came up through the ranks where they were the best player for their their club team, or their high school team, or their college team or whatever. And so at times throughout the course of all their journeys they've probably been asked to lead. But have you, you know, as a staff or maybe this is a Pablo question, have you asked more from Diego as a personality, as an outspoken leader, not just a great player.
Speaker 3: I think part of what we want to.
Speaker 4: Do this year is ask more from everybody, So not to just make it Diego specific, but I think asking asking everyone to hold themselves to a high standard, but then also hold their teammates accountable.
Speaker 3: And I think when we do.
Speaker 4: That, then everyone's doing their job, everyone's working for the team, and we're going to get the results that we want. So it's it's I mean, the answer to question I guess this is yes, But it's not.
Speaker 3: Just Diego, it's the whole team.
Speaker 4: We want everyone to hold themselves to have a center, but hold their teamates accountable. Because you know, even though you might be the most professional, the most consistent guy, even the most consistent guys have bad days and and someone needs to, you know, bring you up when that happened.
Speaker 3: So we need everyone to bring.
Speaker 1: That, so I wanted to kind of kick the tires with you. Also about a Mecca. Oh, who do we give credit for finding a mecca?
Speaker 2: Is that also you?
Speaker 3: It's a group effort. All of them are group efforts, Ben Sweet. We have an amazing scouting.
Speaker 4: Department, you know, Mulholland, John Spencer, Joe Thomas, you know these guys are doing a great job.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll give you credit. Nice work finding a Mecca.
Speaker 1: And Elly he is He's just another player that I think then this is just me.
Speaker 2: Talking out loud.
Speaker 1: Obviously I'm not speaking for anybody over there, but it feels like potentially some of the decisions you made to pivot and recalibrate and let some players go in part was due to the evolution of some of the other pieces, namely Diego, who've already talked about, but also a Mecca who at every stop seems like he continues to outperform everybody's expectations. I mean, I've always kind of had this thing with the MLS draft and like, why do we do this? It doesn't feel like the ever any players that we drafted play well outside of a handful like Tony Beltran, and you know, I know Gasper gave you some good minutes or whatever, but he may already be the best player that RSL has ever had via the draft. All due respect to Tony Beltran, who probably still deserves that Moniker, But what stands out most to you about a Mecca's growth and what are you asking from him this year? Not just as a player, but same question as Diego also as a leader.
Speaker 4: Well, I won't, I won't stand for any Tony Bell translander. We'll have to back away from that.
Speaker 3: But no, I think, look, we.
Speaker 4: Have to look at every player acquisition method and you know, like he had Jasper, we moved.
Speaker 3: Him on and we traded him.
Speaker 4: But like he's the guy that we drafted I think eighty something in the draft and he's still like he's playing a MLS and you know, three four years later, he's still giving good minutes. He's gotten on a second contract, Like those are wins for us even though he's no longer play for us.
Speaker 3: Still so but yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: A Mecca's a Mecca is just a guy. And I think what I tell people when I get it questions like this, like kind of what is it about him?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 4: You know it's it's about his learning curve and his adaptability, and he's just he's just a really good learner. And those are the guys that I think make the best leap from college to to MLS because there's a lot to adapt to physically but mentally mostly. And the quicker you can take on new information and incorporate it into your game, the quicker you can adapt, the better you're gonna you know, the better career you're gonna have. So obviously he's a smart, smart guy, a smart kid. He leads by example. I think this year the challenge to him a little bit is, you know, coming coming out of now his first you know, last year was his first year as a guy who plays all the time, you know, so this year he's he's a guy that the expectations to him are known, and so can he not just lead by example but also lead vocally at times and help the team that way. So I think he's got that in him. That's the kind of person character he is, and now it's just about feeling comfortable in his own skin to bring that to this group in the.
Speaker 1: Pros as we were talking about so far, and you know, it's kind of interesting so Ari and Forrester are kind of getting the bulk of the looks at nine.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if this is an.
Speaker 1: Exact parallel where we can be analogous entirely, but the world of pro basketball now, they've kind of eliminated positions depending on which coach you play for. Like Will Hardy talks about, I don't care if he's a point guard. I don't care if he's a two guard. I just want playmakers. I want guys that can make plays for themselves and make plays for others. And I don't know if there's anything there there as far as what Pablo wants to do. But when you have the potential, and I really mean this, I'm not just blowing smoke. I just think the potential of Diego, Diego and Mark Zuke, the three of those specifically, those players specifically seem to have such bright, creative flare and potential to provide opportunities. I'm not saying it doesn't matter who's at nine. I'm not saying that at all. But when you look at the creative potential of those three specifically, how much easier will that make it for the team if and I'm talking about Diego Diego and Mark Zuke specifically, those are the three players that have stood out to me is the most creative. And I'm sure I'm missing others because I have to get to know these new guys.
Speaker 2: I don't know them very very much.
Speaker 1: But what do you hope that I guess I'll say Triumviant in the midfield looks like when it's fully baked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I'm glad you brought up Dominic because because I don't think he gets enough credit, and he's been fantastic this preseason.
Speaker 3: He's He's a really talented.
Speaker 4: Player that works really hard and creates a lot of chances. I think when you talk about who's playing the nine, and the important thing for us is that they do what they're supposed to do and they're they're predictable, not for the defense, but for our team, right, And so those are three creative players. And if if they know, if they're on the same page with the striker, no matter who it is, you know, if they're on the same page, the odds of us getting the ball to people in the right spots to generate quality chances are really high, and we'll be less reliant on all right, let's get it to this guy and expect him to create some magic to create a chance or a goal for us. So when you have sort of that system based approach to attack, I think it's gonna.
Speaker 3: It's gonna.
Speaker 4: It almost doesn't matter what the name on the shirt says. I mean, obviously, once you're in that situation, you've got to have the quality to finish. I thought, you know, Forster did an excellent job of that twice yesterday, where you know he's he's done a breakaway and you know, despite his relative inexperience and relative youth, you know, slots it away in the corner pretty calmly and and takes a second chance really well. And then Ari gets a good goal in the game after that. So those guys are going to get chances if they're doing with ask of them, and they are, and then it's just about finishing them and those three guys underneath, it's just about giving them service. And again that knowing where the striker is going to be at very specific times and parts on the field.
Speaker 1: So a lot was excuse me, a lot was made last year and Pablo was really good to come on the show and kind of walk us through this quote unquote new system that you guys wanted to implement, and you had a massive change over with his staff. You kept your head coach, but you moved on from a lot of the assistants and that system, combined with the real the bright personnel you provided, led to a lot of exciting, bright moments, and for me there was probably a six or seven week stretch where I thought it was the most entertaining soccer quite frankly, we've ever had here. Now in twenty years of RSL's existence, is there a adjust Is there an adjustment now to that system catered to the new personnel or is it kind of the same deal based off the success you had a year ago.
Speaker 4: I think there's yeah, there's a lot of similarities. And last year it was kind of building it from scratch because it's not what we did the year prior. This year, it's more about adding on to that, integrating new players, and then tweaks that can help us in specific situations. So, you know, there's a lot of the bulk of the group is comfortable with how we play and what we want to do, and now how do we integrate you know, both the guys that just joined us right now, but also the guys that joined us in the summer more fully into the system what we're doing. And then and then the other piece to go beyond that is, okay, now, when this isn't working, what's the second thing that we can do to break a team down that a little more difficult to break down. So it's just just integrating the new guys into that group and then enhancing what we're doing and just being consistent with it.
Speaker 1: So last year and you and I have discussed this, and for listeners that maybe just missed it, let's kind of rehash a little bit. It was clear that the situation and goal was left wanting and potentially a little untenable. You know, you transfer gav On. He stays in the Blitzer umbrella. I will not ask you on the record why Zach waited so long to get surgery. I'll just keep that to myself. A little frustrated, I would imagine. But you did make some additions, namely Rafa Cabral, who got the start yesterday. So talk about Cabral, the Brazilian keeper. What you're expecting from him. It seems like he's the first choice guy and the death you have behind him in goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, Rafa is just the really really experienced guy that brings some calm and some leadership to the group in the back line. He's good with the ball at his feet. He's a good shot stopping goalkeeper. He's played at you know, Napoli's played at Reading, He's played at Gramio, you know, in a few of the clubs in Brazil, like he's he brings a lot of experience to the position. He's a good you know, a good egg, a good character back there. He talks, he organizes, he communicates, I think all of that, and you know, obviously he's an older player, but in goal, that's that's kind of okay back there, and you're it's okay to have a guy who's a little bit older. Goalkeeper's age a little better than you know, let's say, center forwards do and and they get better, you know, as they get older, with more experience and they can organize, and you know, it starts to look maybe more like shots are right at him because hopefully their positioning gets better. So he brings a lot of that calm and composure that you know, we want back there, both in and out of possession.
Speaker 1: How many languages do you speak, Kurt, and not like Trey who claims he speaks Spanish but can't even formulate the sentence, how many actual languages do you speak?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm far more humble than Trey. I speak one language fluently. You're you're listening to it now. But I can get by in uh in Spanish, and if you give me a couple of weeks in German speaking country, I can get by in Germany.
Speaker 1: You know, at this stage of his life, humility is not something Trey is going to find. He is going to meet his demise as a result of his ego. But we can move on from it. I ask you, because I read this today. Ten nationalities represented in your eleven yesterday, Brazil, Greece, Columbia, Poland, Paraguay, Australia, Ghana, and of course the United States.
Speaker 2: What sort of communication.
Speaker 1: Challenges, Kurt, does that provide in a locker room?
Speaker 4: Nearly none. It's not funny because you brought up all those nationalities. But one of the threads through some of the more especially the more recent signings of the last two three windows, is that is that they all speak English. So you know, Alex Catranis whose Greek speaks English. You know Rafa Karol whose Brazilian speaks English. You know Diogo speaks English. You know, we only have a few guys that even Brian o'hada you know, doesn't always love to but he understands and speaks better English than he lets on.
Speaker 3: So you know, we have a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: That despite obviously Ari Peel speaking, we have a lot of guys from different nationalities. But you know, we wanted to find guys that did speak English so that we didn't have communication issues, leadership issues, those types of things. And even going into this offseason, it was something that we wanted to shore up and improve. And then you know, on top of that, obviously is we're still going to end up bringing some players at various points that don't speak English, and it's just getting them onboarded and speaking you know, at least passable English as quickly as possible. But yeah, I mean, finding guys that are already flow in English helps helps get them on board with what we're doing that much faster.
Speaker 2: All right, before I say you loose it is wild.
Speaker 1: There were six days away from a game that actually counts and matters but we are so just kind of take an opportunity here for our listenership on the program to kind of educate us a little bit on the cocky CAF Champions Cup. Er Deiano is your first opponent, and then we'll go from there. But six days away from game one, Kurt, how's the squad feeling?
Speaker 3: Squad feels good? Much feels good.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, heading into the Champions League, you know, and it's a competition that I've been a part of quite a few times. I think the one thing you kind of build up, you know, when you when you've been in it for a while or multiple times, you build up like almost an institutional knowledge about the tournament and what it means and the difficulties it presents. I know, Rcel, you know this. This club has been a part of it, but we haven't been a part of it in a while, and so I think we're going to have to relearn some of those things. But you know, it's it's always a tough environment no matter who you're playing. When you head into the Central American or the Caribbean countries and you know, play those games on the road, the conditions are just so much difference than what guys are used to. It just changes how they prepare and how they head into games and all those things, and they've got to be a little more ready, a little more sharp than than maybe they would in a normal league game where it's pretty homogenous from you know, city to city, club to club, hotel the hotel within MLS and within you know, North America. So it's something that that we've got to face that challenge. But you know, andreddy On is a good team. You know, it's not a team that we can look past in any way, and we just need to go down there and get a good result and bring it back home. And this is the earliest I think we've played at home since.
Speaker 3: I've been here. I don't know when the earliest.
Speaker 4: We've ever played at home is so hopefully the weather is a little bit better than today, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Kurt, you're the man. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And the good news for you about the season starting is you and I get a chat quite often, buddy, so I appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Have a great week with chat soon.
Speaker 3: I couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 2: I can tell.
Speaker 1: I can tell the sarcasm dripping from your voice the great Kurt Schmid.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: We've got to get to know these new players. Kurt is the technical director. He took over after they moved on from Elliott, and he's kind of the driving force beyond most of these decisions. RSL with a preseason draw three to three yesterday against New York, six days away from the Conka CAF Champions Cup.