Speaker 1: You're listening to Everything out There with your host Steve Stockton. Hello friends, Steve Stockton here with you. Thanks once again for joining me on Everything out There Tonight. Our guest is Tattooed Biker from the YouTube channel Tattooed Biker. Unexplained in the interview, we're going to talk about some haunting tales and spooky legends of North Carolina, where he was originally from. Now. North Carolina, with its rich history and diverse landscapes, has been a breeding ground for eerie folklore and spine chilling legends that have been passed down their generations. From the miscovered mountains to the haunted coastal plains, North Carolina is steeped in stories that send shivers down the spines of those who dare to listen. In this interview will deve into some of these haunting tales that have woven themselves into the fabric of North Carolina's folklore. A few of them are the Brown Mountain Lights, which we speak about. Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Brown Mountain has been the stage for one of North Carolina's most enduring mysteries, the Brown Mountain Lights. For centuries, locals and visitors alike have reported witnessing unexplained lights dancing in the night sky. Now legends suggests that these spectral lights are the souls of ancient Cherokee warriors still wandering the mountain side. Others believed to be the latterns of ghostly Confederate soldiers searching for lost comrades. Despite numerous investigations, the origin of the Brown Mountain lights remain elusive, contributing to the mountain's eerie reputation. I've seen these lights myself on several occasions, and I have no rational explanation. Another in North Carolina is the Maco Light. In the coastal town of Maco, a railroad worker named Joe Baldwin met a tragic end in the late eighteen hundreds. Legend has it that he was decapitated in a railway accident while trying to warn an oncoming train of a washed out track. The locals claim that Baldwin's ghost, carrying a lantern in search of his missing head, can be seen along the tracks at night. The mysterious light known as the Maco Light, has been a source of fascination and fear for generations, drawing curious onlookers hoping to catch a glimpse of the wondering spirit. Another place we talked about is the Devil's Tramping Ground or the Devil's stomping Ground. Nestled in the woods near the town of Silas City is a mysterious and unsettling place known as the Devil's Tramping Ground. Now, the legend tells of a barren, circular patch of land about fourty feet or so where nothing grows. It said that this is the spot where the devil himself paces in circles, plotting his sinister schemes to foil mankind. Locals claim that anything left within the circle overnight will be mysteriously mood by mourning. Some even believe the devil's presence prevents plant life from growing, while others warned that spending a night within the circle invites the devil's influence into one's life. Another mysterious legend from North Carolina is the Gray Man of Polly's Island. Along the shores of Polly's Island, a spectral figure known as the Gray Man has said appear as a harbinger of impending storms. Now, according to legend, the Gray Man is the ghost of a young man who died at a shipwreck on his way to business Beyonce. The story goes that he appears on the beach to warn residents of the approaching danger, providing them with a chance to evacuate before the storm hits. And if you've ever seen one of those storms in the outer banks, they are spectacular. Those who claim to have seen the Gray Man insists that he is a benevolent spirit, offering protection to those who heed his spectral warning. Another strange legend from North Carolina is the legend of the Vampire Beast of Bladenborough. In the nineteen fifties, the small town of Bladenborough was gripped by fear as reports circulated of a mysterious creature which attacked local pets and livestock. Some described it as a large, panther like creature with glowing red eyes. The Vampire Beast of Bladenborough, whatever it was, left a trail of unease in its wake. Residents were terrified, and local hunters set out to capture the creature. However, despite their best efforts, the true identity and nature of the beast remained elusive, leaving the town haunted by the memory of the vampire beasts that prowded streets. Now there is also the legend of the Dismal Swamp. The Great Dismal Swamp, which straddles the border between North Carolina and Virginia, is shrouded in a history of mystery and folklore. The swamp's dense vegetation and murky waters have fueled tales of ghostly apparitions and other worldly encounters. Some stories speak of phantom lantern lights leading wonders deeper into the swamp, while others tell the spirits of escaped slaves seeking refuge during the Antebellum period. The Dismal Swamp, with its eerie ambiance, remains a place where reality blurs with the supernatural, leaving visitors with an unsettling sense of the unknown. And then there is the ghost Ship of Ochercoke, part of the Outer Banks. A favorite place of mine to visit is the location of Okuercoke Island, which is home to the chilling tale of the ghost ship known as the Carol A. Dearing. In nineteen twenty one, this five masted schooner ran aground without a soul on board. The crew had vanished, leaving behind only cryptic messages and signs of a struggle. Locals believed that the ghostly apparitions of the crew still haunked the shores of Ocracoke, forever trapped in a spectral limbo. The mystery of the Carol A Dearing has fueled speculation and ghostly sightings, making it one of North Carolina's most enduring maritime legends. And then who could forget the legend of the Moon eight People. In the misty mountains of western North Carolina, there exists the legends of a mysterious race known as the Moon Eyed People. According to Cherokee folklore, these beings had pale, moonlike eyes and lived underground. The Moon Eighted People were said to be peace loving, but their existence was threatened by the arrival of the Cherokee. As tensions rose, the Moon eight People vanished into the mountains, leaving behind only the echoes of their enigmatic presence. Some believe that their spirits still linger in their remote corners of the Appalachians, guarding the secrets of their ancient civilization. There's also the haunting of the Grove park In, Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, The historic Grove park In is known for its luxurious accommodations and stunning views. However, some visitors have reported encounters with supernatural entities within its walls. The Pink Lady, a ghostly figure dressed in pink a cent of rome, the n's hallways, leaving behind the scent of her flowery perfume. Some believe she's the spirit of a young woman who tragically filled her death from a balcony, while others suggest she's the lovelorn guest who never checked out. The ghostly presence of the Pink Lady adds an extra layer of intrigue to the already rich history of the grow Park. In another Cherokee legend from North Carolina is the Wampus Cat. Deep in the heart of Cherokee folklore lies the legend of the Wampas Cat, a fearsome creature said to stock the Appalachian mountains. According to the tales, the Wampus Cat was once a beautiful Cherokee woman who, driven by jealousy, used forbidden magic to transform into a half woman, half mountain lion creature. The wampas Cat is believed to prowl the woods, emitting an eerie cry that chills those who hear it. Some claim that encountering the wampas cat brings bad luck, while others warn that it's a guardian spirit protecting the secrets of the ancient Cherokee Lands. And then there's the cursed town of Bath. Now. Bath is one of North Carolina's old as towns, and it harbors a dark and mysterious history that some believe is cursed. Legends tell Blackbeard, the pirate, who once sprinkled to the town bearing his treasure in the nearby Pamelaco River. Locals claim that the town's misfortunes, including hurricanes and fires, are a result of the pirate's curse. To this day, some say they've seen Blackbeard's ghosts walking the shores for ever, guarding his hidden treasure and ensuring the continuation of Bath's troubled legacy. And then who can forget Roanoke Island. Roanoke Island, femver etched in history as the site of the mysterious lost Colony, is itself steeped in ghostly legends. The first English settlement in America, the Roanoke Colony, disappeared without a trace, leaving only the word crawtoan carved into a Tree. Locals report sightings of ghostly colonists and strange occurrences, with some claiming that the spirits of the lost settlers still roam the island, searching for their long lost companions. The enigma of the Lost Colony continues to cast a haunting shadow over Roanoke Island in Conclusion, as the wind whispers through the forest and the waves lap against the shores. North Carolina's spooky folk lord legends continue to weave a tapestry of mystery and intrigue, from ancient spirits to cursed towns, from phantom lights to the Devil's tramping ground. The state's rich cultural heritage is interwoven with stories that both terrify and captivate. As night falls and shadows dance across the landscape, the tales of the Tar Hill State linger, inviting those brave enough to explore the rim where reality and the supernatural seamlessly blend. And joining me tonight is Tattooed Biker from the YouTube channel Tattooed Biker unexplained, Hey, brother, how you doing.
Speaker 2: Hey well, Steve, thanks for having me, Oh.
Speaker 1: Thanks for thanks for being here. We're gonna have a good time tonight. And talk to some scary stuff. So before we get started, tell us a little bit about your YouTube channel. Tattooed biker unexplained.
Speaker 2: Well, it's something I always wanted to do. It started out horror fiction, creepypastas and stuff like that, but I just really wasn't too into those, you know, but you know, fine materials really tough, you know, starting out. Then I went to look at my audience tab my YouTube analytics, and it seemed like my entire audience I was the only horror fiction that they listened to. And I thought, well that, well great, I don't I don't have to do this anymore. It seemed like they were all watching like your channel or Bigfoot case Files or Buckeye Bigfoot or Dixie Cryptid or you know, and I thought, well, for a haunting, a lot of them are listening to Haunting. You know. The YouTube channel, which is I think is just I think it just replays the old TV show. So I thought, well, this is cool, So I don't. I don't have to do horror fiction for my audience anymore, because it's fun once in a while, but if you start doing it for a channel, I think it just feels like a grind after a while, you know, it's not as interesting to me as the paranormal stuff, the true stuff, you know, and the unexplained. And I love a good mystery.
Speaker 1: So that seemed like, I think, is doing something that you love. Then it doesn't seem like work and it doesn't get to be as much of a grind sometimes, but it came away on you, especially when you have a real pigeonhole like that that you put yourself in. That's all you can do. That's one reason I have so many different channels. I've got so many different interests. Instead of just putting it all on one, I've tried to spread it out, and it means more work, but then I'm still true to myself as far as what I enjoy doing it, what I want to do it so works out good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I post Monday, Wednesday and Friday Monday is always gone missing Mondays. I do where you tend to do very current cases, open cases, you know, I tend to do really old cold case file cases where people have gone missing and there's some something strained, unusual or unexplained about the disappearance. It doesn't quite fit, you know. I cover those and I make a little mini documentary about a case every Monday, and then as far as Wednesday and Friday, I try to do a viewer submissions of Paranormalcrypted Encounters UFOs, just something unexplained that's happened in their lives, their personal true stories, and I try to do those on Wednesday and Friday. Sometimes it works out. There has been a few times my channel smaller that I would do like a powermal minicumentary like I think I did the Bellwich one time, and I did I did Robert Johnson things like that to sort of fill in the gaps when I didn't have as many submissions. But now I'm getting them regularly enough that I usually Wednesday and Friday I can do nothing viewer submissions. So that's worked out well. And I've had some real doozies over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love those viewer submissions. I've got a podcast coming up where I'm going to do those, and it's amazing some of the stories that people tell and we're talking before the show. We don't love those. I don't bet them. I just take people at there weren't because I've had some things happen to me that if I just told them to somebody. You know, it sounds unbelievable, but I was there, I know what I saw, I felt, saw, experienced or whatever. So it is what it is. And I think a lot of times when people send in their stories, then other people hear that and they had a similar encounter or something starting to happened to them, and it kind of frees them up to tell their story. They like, I thought, I you know, you'd think I was crazy, but I heard so and So's story, so here's mine, And I love that part. Just it's well a way to grow that community and for people to share their experiences and find out, yeah, that a lot of people have these.
Speaker 2: And that's That's another fascinating thing is sometimes you'll hear a story that sounds completely bizarre and completely you've never heard anything like it. They saw something and the way they're describing it, it doesn't fit into anything else you've heard. And then before you do you include it and you're reading your email, and then someone else, maybe across the country you have no contact with the one you just read, well they're talking about a similar thing, and you're thinking, what are the chances and what's really there that these people are seeing separate from each other, but their accounts are lining up so closely, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love that too. We looked into some cases here in New England. There's a UFO incident in the Berkshires and the witnesses the different walks of life, didn't know each other, lived, you know, miles and miles apart, but they saw pretty much the same thing on the same night and almost described it exactly the same. I mean, it's too too much to be a coincidence. I don't believe in coincidence anyway. I think synchronicities. But those are the cases that fascinated me where several witnesses saw it at about approximately the same time and their stories match.
Speaker 2: Up, right, Like when I was looking into the Dover Demon. You know, this thing apparently cut a swath, you know, through the area, and you've got witnesses describing the same thing that are fifty miles apart. I mean, it's it's very odd. It makes you wonder just what were they seeing out there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's one of my favorite pet cases, if you will. I've been to Dover actually it's back in the eighties, not too long after it happened. I think that happened in like seventy eight or seventy nine. Semper running there. Well, I had a friend I graduated high school in eighty one, had a friend that I graduated with it went to NYU and I went and couch surfed there for three months in the East Village. And one weekend some people from NYU that they knew said, Hey, I know where there's a house party in Massachusetts. Let's go. So I went with him and we're in this place and I, you know, hey, him in Dover, and I said something about, oh, home of the Dover Demon, and they're like, oh, you want to talk to Bill. And I don't know which one it was. There was two witnesses. One of them went by Bill, and the other one was named William, but he may have been Bill too. But I actually met one of the witnesses from It Just Happens town, you know like that, at a house party and he basically I talked to him. He seemed kind of embarrassed for the whole thing that I knew about the story and knew the notoriety and stuff, But he told pretty much the same story that I'd read. So I think there's something there. But I love those one offs like that, where I think that one happened over just a couple of days, a handful of witnesses. They all saw and described pretty much the same thing. What in the world was that? Do you have an opinion on it? Do you think it was some sort of cryptid or some kind of creature that we're not aware of. Is a UFO related? What's your thought on it?
Speaker 2: If I had to take a wild guess, I would say it was UFO related, just because there's never been anything else like it seen, you know, like with most cryptids, you find multiple reports in multiple places. Like you said, this is a one off. You know, it's like the Flatwoods Monster. It happened one time, multiple witnesses, and it's never been seen again. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one. That's one that I've been to that area too. I wouldn't want to see that one. That one, just the drawing of it scares the pants off of me. And I've got a couple of pastors that I've interviewed a few times, and in fact they're going to be on with me again probably next week. They look at UFOs and the unexplained of things like that from a biblical perspective, and they're convinced that the Flatwood Monster was either a fallen angel or an FLM or some kind of demonic entity. And I don't doubt that that thing is just absolutely frightening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the pictures that I've ever seen, the drawings and stuff are I mean, it just chills you to look at. And it left that Whaley Reside. Remember that was a big part of the story. And I don't know, just the screams malevolence about the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't anything friendly, that's for sure, I don't think. But go ahead, I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say I had an experience. I've had several experiences in my life. I wouldn't say several. I mean I've had three or four, I guess, spread out over fifty years. They're pretty strange and I've been on the edge of other people's experiences before, you know. But just the past summer, it was late probably September. I was out in my well. We were out past the backyard. I live on a fairly large property and me and my son it's just one of the things we like to do in the afternoon, just before a walk. You know, especially when the heat dies down a little bit. And he's four, well he was just three and a half then most four. And we're walking along and we're on the back in the back of my property. You know, You've got the yard and at the end of the yard, I've got a couple of motorcycle sheds back there, and a couple of tool sheds and things like that, little workshops, and then I've got like a graveled off area where i can park some heavy equipment. And then behind that, I've got like a row of freeze. Then there's a cornfield on the other side. The row of trees is about it's only about fifteen twenty feet, and then you've got the cornfield. And we were walking, you know, fairly close together, and always keep him close when we're out back, you know. And so he's six feet from me, and he's at that age where he's fascinated by a shadow. You know. It's like he sees his shadow on the garage with the sun behind him. You know, he'll laugh and wait and he can dance like he is and it copies him and he's fascinated by it, you know. And it was getting pretty late in the evening at dark, but it was, you know, it was it was around dusk and we were taking one last walk, you know, before we went for the night. And we're walking and I'm looking at something off in the distance. I don't know, farm equipment or who knows. I get distracted and he trust to me and he's like, look, Daddy, my shadow, and he's laughing and playing. And then I got to thinking. It just hit me all of a sudden, as I'm looking the other way, that we're back here in the show of these trees. He doesn't have a shadow, you know. And I looked to where he was looking because he's, like I said, he's six feet from me. And I could see it too. It was about six feet from him, so about twelve feet total from me. It was on the other side of me, standing there in the tree line, and it was solid black. It was just pitch black. There was no shine to it. It's like light just escaped into it. But it was the same size and stature as my little boy, just standing there in the woods. And when I looked, I felt like it knew that I was looking at it all of a sudden, and immediately just slipped behind a tree, and I could hear this thing moving through the trees in the brush, and then I could see because you could see the trees were so thin, you could see the cornfield behind it, and of course September, so they're brown and dead by them, but they're still tall, you know. I could see the zigzag pattern as it ran through the cornfield. It just bolted, I mean it was so fast. But before it bolted, I mean, I just looked at this thing for a good five seconds, trying to figure out what I was looking at. And he was laughing and pointing at it the whole time, so he saw what I was seeing, and it was it really settling. So I took his hair out. I think we should go in right now. And he didn't really get it, but but yeah, it gave me a real bad feeling. And like I said, it wasn't broad daylight, but it was pretty close and I had no idea what I saw.
Speaker 1: Oh, look, stories like that, especially shadow people, anything to do with shadows or mirrors. I've heard some just amazing mirror stories. Only had one shadow person encountered, and I haven't written about it yet. I have a book of my personal experiences, my strange world. And there's three key ones in there, or two of the key ones, and there the third one. There's my Black Eyed Kids encounter, which I think you've heard or heard part of it. That's the most frighten I've ever been. And I don't know that I'll ever write that one down. I don't think I could convey the terror and things that I felt. That's why I always prefer to tell it. But the shadow person encounter that I had, that was when I lived in Oregon. I lived in a little town called Saint Helen's and the lady that I rented from her husband had been a letter carrier, got killed in a vehicle accident. And one night I was coming out to the bedroom, went into the kitchen and if you walked in like it's actually the dining room and the kitchen were together. Walked in the right of the dining room table and off to the right as it was a laundry room in a mudroom, and then off to the left was the rest of the kitchen, the sink island and stuff like that. Well, i'd see a shadow of a person, I mean a person's size shadow, and it was like he was saying it was black. It didn't have a shinehood was blacker than black. And I just kind of walked out of the laundry room behind the table, and I went through the kitchen and out the wall, which the other side of that wall would have been in the garage. And my little dog was with me and he saw it. But he didn't seem to scare him. He didn't bark at it, didn't growl or anything. He actually wagged his tail. And she was like, where was that? And I told my landlady and she said, oh, that's my husband. He comes back and visits sometimes. She said, I've seen that too when I lived there. So there you go. But it was, you know, disconcerting. But again, it didn't seem a level and it looked like it was just passing through. And there was also a lot of times there the TV or the stereo things like that would come on in the middle of the night and the channels would change and things. Now that could have just been you know, radio interference from somebody else's remote, but she claimed that that was one of the things he liked to do too. He was over all the audio video equipment that they had that was his domain, and she said, he still likes to come in sometimes and turn everything on to make sure it still works.
Speaker 2: Don't know.
Speaker 1: I'ven't written that one yet. That'll be in the next book. That was I published Stratange Things in the Woods, and that was just a themed book. It was all the stories that I had that i'd heard over basically my entire life, about things that happened in the woods. And when that one took off, I'd go on this show or that show. I've been on Coast to Coast and Art Bell's other show, Midnight in the Desert, and I was on. I was Clyde Lewis, Who's radio network, Ground zero Radio. This show's on, but invariably the hosts or if they took calls or questions from the audience, people say, well, these are other people's experience. Have you ever had anything strange or weird encounter? And I'd tell one story or another night, and I started thinking I probably got enough to make a small book, and it ended up being a pretty good sized book. And I've had enough since I wrote that to fill a second volume probably, so that's in the works too. But it's just it's amazing and it seems like your son there. I started seeing and experiencing things when I was three or four years old, and it never really scared me when I was that small. It just made me curious, like, what was that, you know, that's not supposed to happen. First apparition, I saw, I was a little kid that ran across the road into our yard and fell down and just ceased to exist. And there was no kid there, no place the kid could have gone to, no hole that he could have fallen into or anything. I even got a shovel and Doug and I was I think I was five at that time, and uh, metaphorically, I think I've never put that shovel down. I'm still digging trying to find what all's out there. And the older I get and the more experiences and things I have, it's it's no longer a quest or answers. I'm just looking for the next set of questions. Yeah, we had the answers. I don't think it's near as much as it has been.
Speaker 2: Now. I've I've definitely, you know, seen a few things, and and that was the by far of the most recent Like I've had not missing time, I guess, but I've had like a time dilation experience. Actually, I happened two of those, and just thank God that I had somebody with me, so I didn't start to doubt my sanity, you know.
Speaker 1: No, I had one encounter missing time, and I had somebody with me too, the guy that in high school. We were out riding BMX bikes together in an undeveloped part of the subdivision. They just had their roads up there, and we were peddling along nothing but paved road and wooded lots that they hadn't even sold yet. And I remember some sort of a metallic clientk or noise up in the woods to my right, and I kind of turned and looked up there. And then the next thing I know, I'm still on the bike. I'm still peddling, but I'm going in the opposite direction, and Danny, a friend, was right there beside me. We didn't say a word to each other. Went on down the road. He went into his driveway. I went a couple of blocks on down, went into mine. I go inside my parents, like where you being? I said, I was out riding bikes with Danny. And they're like, well, it's getting light. We're getting worried about you. And it was almost eleven o'clock, and when we were originally up there, it was maybe eight or eight thirty. So I've got two or three hours there that I cannot account for. And my friend experienced the same thing. I asked him a couple of days later because I said, something weird happened the other night, and he's like, yeah, He's like, I was afraid to say anything. So we both kind of were. But and I've had people ask me, said, would you consider him not a regression or something? And a part of me would like to, but then there's a part of me that doesn't want to know. I mean, if I was abducted and got probed by aliens or something I don't want to know about. There's a reason I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, See, mine was Mine was the opposite, and my wife and I we were There's a couple of they're friends of ours, and I've known the guy for a long time, and because back in the younger days, I used to I used to kind of ride in the club scene a little bit, you know, and he does and he did. Oh. But there are a couple and they're friends of ours, and our kids are friends, and but one eating just me and my wife had gone over there for dinner and my mother in law was killing our son, he was two at the time. Now, to get to their house is super easy. They live very close to us. Like you literally come out of our driveway, you turn left, and then you take one turn and then you go by their house and their house and you turn to their driveway. It's one turn, you know, it's total of an eight minute drive. And took to the wife's suv. And now generally I don't like to drive cars. I just I just don't like it. I hate it seems tedious. I would rather set passenger and look out the window. I have no interest in driving a car. So she does all the driving pretty much more together in the vehicle anyway. And and we left their house it was about eight thirty nine o'clock, you know, after dinner, because we didn't want, you know, her mom to have to keep the baby that long. And so we leave just normal, none of us drinking or any kind of substances or anything like that. And done of us do anything like that. And and we leave, We pull out of the driveway and being you know, a good a good navigator, you know, and shotgun guy that I am. Wife and I both smoke as soon as we get on the road. It's just a habit that I light us with a cigarette, you know. So we pull out as soon as we get going on this straightaway I and it's pretty much a straight shot. There's not a lot of turns. I I light a cigarette. I like her a cigarette. I give it to her. I leaned down to adjust the radio, and just then, super bright light come on rear view like a car had just run up on us. You could see their headlights like real fast, like out of nowhere. And I guess it's just a biker in me. I don't know. I assume it's a cop. Yeah. Uh, bikers and cops have sort of hyenas lions on the air and getty sort of relationship. We just try to avoid each other, you know.
Speaker 1: I rode Harley too, so I know that that feeling exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I eased back and I slided my seatbelt on, you know, and I'm like, Okay, what's going to go on here? Like I figured, because like I said, uh, I'd been in the club scene for a while. My friend still rides with the motorcycle enthusiast club, and I thought, well, they might have been watching his house or something and assumed that we were no good, you know, even though he's a pretty straight, straight up guy. And uh, but but we're looking at I'm kind of keeping on them. I'm smoking, thinking any time we're going to see the blue lights, you know, if nothing else, just that what are you got this hour? You know, or something where you headed? You know, those questions. But then all of a sudden, boom, they were gone. And I'm thinking I didn't turn off or anything, because you could see lights. I mean, they were so up on us at one point that you could barely see their lights because they were so close to beer bumper, and they were just just gone, just like flipping a switch. I'm like, well, that was weird. I don't know where they went, you know. And then I'm talking to my wife about this, and she goes, Honey, I don't know where we are. I'm like, what do you mean you don't know where we are? Because I've been focused on the lights in the back and she's focused on driving, you know, so I wasn't really watching the road either, and the countryside just looked really strange to me. I'm looking out the window, thinking, none of this feels familiar. And at one point we both saw this. It was like a It wasn't quite translucent. It was almost like a greenish white, glowing, tall figure standing by the side of the road. She swerved over. We both saw it, like what was that? She goes, I don't know, and we're kind of looking back and I'm like, I don't have a good feeling about this. And up there's a it's like you start to see street lights, and she's like, I'm gonna pull into the street light here, I'm gonna dig out my phone. I'm like, okay, that sounds like a plan, because that was really weird in itself, because we don't pass any street lights between our house and their house, you know. And we pulled over and she pulls out her phone and pulls out our GPS, and timeframe wise it was fifteen after nine. We're still smoking the same cigarettes that I had lit us when we left, and she GPs' is us and four townships over the opposite direction from friend's house, and we mapped it had we were so far away and she grew up up here. We were so far away she had to map quest us back to her own home from where we were sitting, because we were so unfamiliar with where we were, and it was going to take us over two hours to get back to our house, according to map quest, and it did. It took every bit of it. And to this day, I have no idea how we got multiple hours away in just ten minutes. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those of those fascinated me too. Had a similar occurrence when I lived in Las Vegas. I was a manager at one of the big casinos out here, and I went to visit one of my employees. That was both our days off, and he lived on kind of the south into the Strip down how to go down Tropicana and wind a way on that side of the Strip, on the Henderson side, And so all I had to do was cross Las Vegas Boulevard on Tropic Cana, go up about two lights and turn by the Orleans and go out that way and get home. And I left his house, I crossed the Las Vegas Boulevard and I drove and I drove, and I drove and I drove and I drove, and I suddenly I'm like, I don't even know where I'm at. And I thought I'm going to be out by Blue Diamond or something shortly, and I think I'm gonna have to turn around. I'm gonna have to go back. I didn't recognize anything. And while I'm looking for a place to turn around, there's my turn, by the Orleans Casino. Normally it shouldn't have taken from Las Vegas Boulevard. After I crossed it maybe five minutes ten at the outset to get there, and I driven for like a half hour, forty minutes, and yet there was my turn. I took my turn. I went straight home, and I was just like, what the hell happened there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're just like, where did I go?
Speaker 1: Where was I? And the way I've had people describe that. And another time when I lived in Oregon, I'd walked up to the corner. I still smoked at that time. I'd walked up about two blocks to the convenience store. I got a pack of cigarettes, and I was walking back and then, yeah, I was looking at my phone, but I was, you know, I was cognizant of where I was and stuff. And I walked up, I turned down my street and went down the street, and then where my house should have been there, it wasn't there, and I realized I'm on the wrong streets. I went back up to the the main street and turned the other direction, and I'd passed what went like two or three two or three streets, pasted my street and taking a turn, And there was no way that I was that preoccupied with what I was doing. But I was in the wrong place. And the way I've had it described it, think of it as like those old paper maps that if you have point A and point B, you could fold the map and make point A and point B closer to each other. And somehow that happens in real time, the fabric of time and space actually kind of pulls and makes point A or point B closer or farther apart. Interesting theory. I don't know how that would work with quantum physics or whatever they're talking about there, And something like that happens time to storage space distorage, it's either shorter or farther or like you were talking about it, you ended up two hours away with no idea how you got there or any rhyme or reason that you could have gotten there like that in just a short distance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I said, no town, no time had passed like we were still smoking the same cigarette and used to smoke. It takes about seven minutes to smoke a cigarette, so yeah, you can almost set your clock by about seven minutes how long it takes smoke a cigarette. So yeah, I have no idea what happened there. And like I said, we saw that weird figure on the side of the road. And to this day, my wife will acknowledge that it happened because she had to make an uncomfortable call to her mom saying, Hey, we're going to be two and a half hours late because we're over here in blanky blank, you know, and I don't know how we got here, and it shook her up pretty bad. She don't she won't really talk about it, which bugs me because I like to get more of her perspective on it. But it weirded her out so bad that she she said, she gets really bad anxiety when she thinks about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can understand that. And you're exactly right about the cigarette timer thing. Back in the early eighties, I did stand up comedy and that was how I timed my act. I would light a cigarette, I wouldn't really puff on it, but it taken about ten minutes to burn down, and then I knew, you know, I had to either wrap it up or get off the stage or whatever because of the where the cigarette was at. But that is a good indicator. And if you're still smoking the same cigarette, there's no way that cigarette burned for two hours.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, if you're smoking them about seven, if you let them sit about ten, And that's just the way it goes. So that was that was really really bizarre. And like I said, I don't know if the figure on the side of the road anything to do with it, if that was something weird, that's way out there, because neither one of us were familiar with our surroundings, neither one of us had ever been to this town before that. We found ourselves in the outskirts off, so you know, maybe it's something out there. I don't know. And it was a it was a long evening getting home, just weird, uncomfortable silence with her, not wanted to talk about it.
Speaker 1: And but then you've got an amazing story to tell.
Speaker 2: So I mean, there's the world's place, you know, it really is.
Speaker 1: There's just all kinds of things out there that it's thankfully it's just occasional. But the things that just don't make any sense, there's no rhyme or reason, and just pure anomalous stuff. And my brother, older brother, he's passed on now. He was a Pentecostal minister, and I asked him about stuff like that one time. In the clearest explanation I've ever heard of the supernatural from that perspective, was he said, what we consider the natural was spoken forth out of the supernatural. He said, So, therefore, there's going to be things that happen that we can't apply man's laws to, that we can't measure, that, we can't quantify. It just is it's anomalist. And then even my father, he was a scientist out at Oakridge National Laboratory there in East Tennessee, and he would talk about that sometimes there was things that happened in control conditions in a life laboratory that would never happen again. They couldn't get it to happen again. They didn't know how or why it happened. It wasn't supposed to happen, yet it did maybe one time. So there are all kinds of things out there that can't be explained.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there was that experiment and they could repeat it, but they don't understand it. Where they had the light particles and they had the slots, remember that, Uh huh, I read about it, and it would make a wave while they were watching it. As soon as they stopped, it acted like particles. It's like the particles themselves knew they were being observed. And to this day they don't understand why those light particles acted like that. They were firing photons through these slots with a surface on the other side that would record where the photons hit, and it behaved like it should while they were watching it. But when they stopped, it would it would act like a wave almost its filling in the gaps around the slots. It's like it knew it was being monitored.
Speaker 1: Fascinating stuff. Yeah, like it was cognizant. It knew, Hey, they're watching what we're supposed to. But you know, when when the counts away, the miso play type thing, Hey they're not looking, let's let's go wild.
Speaker 2: And you know Einstein, he his theories allowed for things like time dihlation and even time travel because you know, with energy is tied to gravity and electromagnetism, and things like that. And you know, the Earth is a big ball of electromagnetism. I mean there's and there's surges in it, and there's an ebb and flow to it. I mean, there's possibility that you could get in the right spot that could cause a time dilation event. I mean, it's not outside the realm of possibility. Now, it's like in a black hole you get to the event horizon, time essentially stopped for you. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I believe that theory that the time isn't necessary latterly, it's you know, it's there are different streams of time things, some things go on. That's the explanation that I've heard for the Mandela effect, that there's different timelines. And sometimes I've heard it compared to like two pieces of silk and they come close enough together and maybe actually touch and you can see through both of them at the same time. But then when they part, one time stream goes one way, one goes the other. Fascinating stuff. That's just I was chronic insomnia most of my life, and that's the kind of thoughts that would roll around in my head at night when I was supposed to be sleeping, just laying there.
Speaker 2: And there's just all kinds of I don't know. I love a good time slip story. It's never happened to me. Where people get a glimpse of the past, you know, and then they turn a corner and everything's normal again, and things like that. I think I've only ever had one or two of those stories submitted. You know, they're super rare, but I find them fascinating when they do come up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other channel that I used to be on, I had a lady submit one over there that was like that.
Speaker 2: There was.
Speaker 1: Some people that lived in her neighborhood that had a coke machine on their front porch. It was a way to earn a little extra money. Plus it was kind of a community gathering place. Show people would show up and get a coke other machine and stand around on their porch and talk. She's on her way there to get a soda and she passes by a man that's standing in front of a vacant lot, and she's thinking, you know, why have I never seen this vacant love where she was just a kid. I have to tell the other kids about this. This is a perfect place to play ball, And said the man kind of looks down at her and smiles and said, how are you today, And just as he said that, he was gone, the vacant lot was no longer vacant. And She's like, I knew there wasn't a vacant lot there. I've walked down to that coke machine a hundred times and there's never been a vacant lot there. And she said, I wonder if somewhere in some time escape there was a man standing there and he saw a little girl walk by that just winked out. So interesting to think about, but that's to me, that's a time slip, a vacant lot that wasn't there, and a gentleman that just disappeared. I love stuff like that. I love those kind of stories, especially for his person.
Speaker 2: Oh I do too. And there was I guess I'm getting to that age where it's difficult for me to remember certain things. But there was a story of a pilot who was flying somewhere in England and he flew over an airfield and it was an airfield that was supposed to have been abandoned for the war, you know, and he talked about there being you know, planes there and they were yelling and they could see people in flight suits and it was a full field, you know, And then he circled back around and then gone. And this is right around World War Two. But then they were looking back at his notes years later and they actually ended up redeveloping that airfield and it was a private company and their planes were yellow. It's like he saw into the future for a moment, and he couldn't explain it at the time, but he made the report because they were always on the lookout for German outposts and things like that, and it was in his report, and then you know, fifty years later it came to pass.
Speaker 1: I've heard that story. I think it was his pre Wars, like nineteen thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Or something, and he saw that it was right around and.
Speaker 1: Then he talked about it, and then later on I think he actually flew over it again and saw it. How it was that he saw it the other time, that he flew over it when it wasn't supposed to look that way, So definitely some kind of a time slip there.
Speaker 2: So what do you think about this man love effect? What's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 1: Do you think it's I think there's something to it. I don't think that that many people misremember things that bad, because I've had people argue with me stuff that I remember, know exactly how it was, and they're like, no, it was never like that. And Jeff Peanut Butter, I've had people who try to say, no, it used to be Jippy. Well in my timeline, it was always Jip choosing brothers choose Jip. I can still remember the commercials, Yeah, I remember that. But and with Nelson Mandela himself, I remember the first time he died and then he died again. And there's been a few people like that. Jim Nabors has died at least twice. He died once years and years ago, and I remember him talking about that, how he always sang the Indiana My Home song at Indianapolis five hundred and this, that and the other. And then he died again and they talked about the same thing again, but there was no record anywhere of him having died previously, of course. And then one of the most amazing to me is the character Jaws from the James Bond movies. They even made a commercial about the girl with the braces. But then now, in that James Bond movie, she doesn't have braces anymore. And that whole scene, I don't know if you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: It I know exactly what you're talking about. Yes, the girl with the pigtails, and she had these metal braces and they turn and smile at the camera after at the end of the movie, when he kind of goes away or it goes his own way, and he just decides he's going to be happy with her, and we'll see. That was the whole draw of that scene was they both had the metal mouth. You know. Yeah, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: For scene sense whatsoever.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I remember that scene very clearly. That was one of my favorite movies. I owned it on VHS, you know. I was a James Bond VHS collector at some point, you know, and I used to love those movies. And I just don't I know for a fact, I had seen that movie probably three dozen times, and she always had braces.
Speaker 1: That scene used to be there, I swear. And then another one there's a Bible verse about the lion lying down with the lamb that doesn't exist anymore. That's apparently a wolf instead of a lion. But I've read that before. I thought I had. I mean, how could I misremember something like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was always a lion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes no sense. I used to go to a Christian bookstore that was called the Lion of the Lamb, and like, you know, why would they call it that if that didn't even exist?
Speaker 2: No, And it was just that one always bothered me because my family were really into church and I was always fascinated by theology in general, and when I was younger, and not because I wanted to be a pastor or anything like that, just because I just found it really interesting, you know. And so I had read the Bible many many times. I could quote scripture just because I mean, it was it was really interesting because it was the first I'm not gonna say mythological, but it was. It was. It had that that supernatural plus historical tie in, you know. That was fascinating, you know, it was, And so I read a lot of it. And it was never a I don't remember a wolf being mentioned anywhere in the Bible.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: There was one line about a wolf in sheep's clothes, and and that that the saying came from. There was a it was paraphrase, of course, but there was something alluding to that had to do with the shepherd, you know, being wary of the wolf. But other than that, I don't ever remember a wolf being mentioned in the scripture at all. So when it was not a lion in the lamb it was a wolf in the lamb, it just it threw me. It really did.
Speaker 1: And again I don't know how that came about, how that something changed somewhere. Now there's one theory I've heard that the world really did end in twenty twelve for some people, and then for everybody else it continued on, and that's why things are different, that we're on a totally different timeline.
Speaker 2: Now. I've heard the theory that the Manila effect things started creeping up when they first fired up discerned particle accelerator that I've heard people say that that it somehow caused certain realities to split off and certain things to cross over, that it caused rifts and time space. I've heard that theory before, and the timeframe kind of lines up to win. That's when you first started hearing about Mandela effects, because I'm fifty and the Mandela effect thing is easily within the last ten fifteen years. Before that, there was never any mention of any false memories at all. Nobody had false memories of anything fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just turned sixty on Halloween, so I'm just ahead of you a little bit. But yeah, just I don't remember things. I'm not into my dotage enough yet that I'm forgetting things. It's like earlier, a couple of weeks ago, on Thanksgiving, I was talking about the cornucopia and I said something about it being on the Fruit of the Loom logo. Well, apparently it never was. It's just the fruit on the label now for Fruit of the lum underwear. But I distinctly remembering there being a cornucopia there at one time.
Speaker 2: I do too, I remember there being.
Speaker 1: Was yeah, and there.
Speaker 2: And you know, I've got a friend named Yates. And Yates is one of those weird phenoms that has It's not a photographic memory. It's called an endemic memory, but it's similar to a photographic memory, like he got studied for it because his memory is so precise, you know, Like even now, Yates could sit down and write out word for word everything that was on his fifth grade page twenty seven geography book, you know, and he swears up and down. There was always been a cornicopia with further loom, and he remembers everything. He can't help but remember things. It keeps him up at night, and he would bet on his mama's life that there was a cornicopia. I trust him.
Speaker 1: No explanation.
Speaker 2: None. That's probably one of the that's probably one of those concerning things supernatural that's going on right now, as the whole Mandela effect, And it seems like every time you turn around there's another one. And apparently there's one about Pokemon, but I never got into Pokemon.
Speaker 1: I don't know that was whether it had a stripe on it or not. I was way beyond my time, but I remember differently than it supposedly is.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I didn't know anything. I didn't enough about that one to have an opinion. So, but the rest of them, like Nelson Mandela one that started at all, and that Shazam movie with Sindbad, I remember that, but apparently it never happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose that that never happened. But I worked in a video store at one time and we had copies of it, but now it doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I remember it just because because I was still fairly young, and we used to go to there was two video stores in town. There was a Hollywood Video and there was a Blockbuster Video. And I was always been, you know, a movie buff, and I used to go in there and browse around. I remember that being a display of it, you know. And that was the first thing I remember seeing Sindbad and I ain't who Sinbad was, you know, so and then to find out that movie existed at all, it was kind of shocking. So and I think my sister had a copy of it, to be honest with you, back because she that was her age range. She's like, she's younger than me, So it seems like that seems like.
Speaker 1: And the Berenstein be Bears, there's I've known people that claim to have a copy of it one way and then they dug it out of the parents' attic, and it's it's way other than they remember it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's changed, That's the thing. It's like, all evidence of it is just you know, has changed with it, you know.
Speaker 1: But you're right, I think it has something to do with sirn because about the time they fired out, that was when you start hearing these stories. Nothing that blows my mind curious George never had a tail, Yes, he did. I remember in the books him hanging from a tree, from it and doing stuff. Now he doesn't have a tail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that one cover. I remember it. He's hanging from a tree. He's got that weird pointed hat with the brim hanging in his hand, and he's hanging by his tail and that yellow hat that he wore. And I remember the book. I had that book as a child, you know. But apparently he had a tale. It's sure enough on to be the streaming service or whatever they have old creous George cartoons, and he doesn't have a tail anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's you're right, Oh, it is a strange world out there in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 2: I just I would part of me would love to know the answers, and then part of me that enjoys the mystery. I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I said earlier, if we had all the answers, that the journey wouldn't be half as much fun.
Speaker 2: As it is, and it has been, and it just makes you wonder, what's what are we going to see tomorrow?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I can't wait. And I'm here in New England. I've only been here since July. There's so much history here in so many places that I want to explore and and look at, and uh, it just it's amazing. I've always felt a draw to here, even as a child, and now here I am, and uh, I just love it. There's just there's so much here to see and do it. I've lived all over the country. I've lived on both coasts. I've lived in fl lived in Las Vegas, Oregon, Washington State, New Mexico, and now here I am in New England. And I love it. It's my new playground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's beautiful up there. I've been through there a couple of times. I live outside Gettysburg now Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that's the place I need to go. I've been invited several times when they have the the ghost thing of the Boobash or whatever it is in Gettysburg. Cisco Murdoch that does Journey through the Gate Paranormal Portal podcast on YouTube. She goes often, and she and I wrote a book together and she's begged me to come to Gettysburg. So maybe this time I'm not that far away from it, like I was. So maybe the next time they have something, I'll get to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me know, I'll meet you up there in my house. That'd be great. But like she'd be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. Now she may be moving closer to Gettysburg. I think she's getting ready to vacate New Jersey. I don't know if I'm supposed to talk about that yet or not, but she may be a near neighbor to you soon.
Speaker 2: It's nice. I've only lived up here for about five or six years now, originally from the mountains of North Carolina, Oh, around North Wilkesboro area. Yeah, I grew up down there, and some weird stuff down there too, at the mountains and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I grew up in East Tennessee and went to the smoke. He's often so that part of East Tennessee and western North Carolina. I'm very familiar with it.
Speaker 2: And my childhood friend he had an experience in the woods when we were I guess we were about seven, I guess around seven or eight year old, and I never did get the details of it, but he was my best friend and really didn't have a choice because where my parents live. You can't even see another house from their house. They have something they sit on about seventeen hundred acres of land, and a lot of it's farm lands, but a lot of it still would and undeveloped. And then his family was the closest family that lived hours. Their property bordered hours, and his dad was a farmer, and so, you know, and we were still our houses are still a mile from each other. But he was the closest kid around, you know, and we got along famously. We were best friends. And between the two of us, he was always the outgoing, you know. And I used to go to his house in the morning because that was as far as the bus would go, you know, it wouldn't come all the way up to my house. And so my parents would drive me off of his house early in the morning and I'd hang out with Stephen for breakfast. Then we'd get on the bus together during elementary school. And I went over there one day and Steven didn't come down, and his mom was in the kitchen. I said, well, weh's Steven, you know, and she's like, well, he's not feeling good today, okay, And then his dad told me he's like, you know, I didn't see Stephen for days, and his dad said, well, Stephen saw something in the woods and he's not really okay about it. And I kid you not had to pull him out of school. My buddy did not say another, did not utter a word to anyone as far as I know, for like three years. It scared the speech out of him.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's hardcore. Do you have any idea of what he saw?
Speaker 2: Eventually got him to open up about it as adults, and he still was super vague, and you could tell it bothered him. All he would say was it shimmered and it killed my dog, and yeah, his dog got gone right around that time. I didn't mention it because I was so focused on Stephen, but he had a dog named Bear that I never saw again. And he eventually he said he wouldn't go into detail about what it was, but he said it was big and it shimmered, and he said it killed his dog right in front of him.
Speaker 1: Almost sounds like what they call the glimmerman or the predator creature. There's a lot of encounters with that. I had an experience with something like that in downtown Portland, Oregon, real late one night at a bus stop. It was a humanoid shape, but a very small stature human and I thought it was like a heat or steam or something rising out of a street vent. And I walked up to where I could see it better, and there was no event there, and it just kind of hunkered down behind the garbage can. I don't know what that was, but I got out of there. I was waiting on the last train out there, the commuter train, the Orange Line. I'd been to something that pile's books, a book signing or an author reading or something, and I was hanging around down there. I was the only one at the train stop, and that scared the life out of me. And I hustled lot up the block or about six blocks to the next train station, and thankfully there were people around there. But I've heard some strange encounters that Bruce mcby, UFO researcher, His wife jan was a deer hunting in a tree sand and saw something like that in the next tree over. She said it looked like she was looking through cellophane or a plastic wrap or something, but it was a vaguely humanoid shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever it was, it changed him for life. He became very with drawn I'm super, super shy after that. And like I said, he was always the outgoing one between the two of us, and he withdrew from public school completely. He had to be homeschool. He eventually returned to high school for the last year, I think just so he could graduate with people he knew and have some sort of normal adjustment. But no, he was never the same whatever he saw, And like I said, I wish he would he would have told me exactly what happened, but he would say little about it. You could tell it was it. It bothered him to the point where he would tell me really what happened.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, that's amazing, those life changing encounters, experiences like that. I've never had one that affected me to that degree. But wow, that's really something.
Speaker 2: So and I believe him because I don't think for whatever he's and it's not like he could have run into something out there that he just didn't know what it was, because I mean, we were little farm boys. We had been running around this property all over the woods and stuff pretty much unsupervised our whole lives. You know. We'd go out in the morning and come back at dark, and it was just most of it's wooded, you know, and we would just be out and about, so I mean we were real familiar with you know, wildlife and everything else that you would normally come across. We did have one weird experience together before that happened. There was one area that both of our parents had told us not to go into this area, that it was dangerous. There was holes, it was like a rocky area. It was a real overgrown that we could fall in a hole and get lost, you know, stay out of there, and so we avoided it. And it was close to dusk one night, and we were the old rule was we always had to be home by dark. They didn't want to be out past dark because we were little, you know, And we were just getting ready to head back, and we were talking about whether we were gonna split up or if we were both going to to his house and have dinner, because that counted as being home if I went to his house, you know, because our parents knew each other real well. And we were just about ready to break off and walk back toward home. We had been playing army, which is basically like tag sort of where we hide and sneak up with each other, and so we were getting to head back, and we heard his dad calling him, Steve, come here, come see what I see, you know, come see what I found or something, And we could hear him just clear as day. And it was coming from this area that we're not supposed to go to. And I just remember, I got a real bad feeling because, one, what would Jack be doing way out you know here, because we were we we knew that we were a good forty forty five minutes if we hustled back to the house, you know, we were way out there, you know, and so we didn't really know. Oh and and we didn't call back, you know, because we didn't know what to think, and because we had been told so much out to go over there, we were scared to go over there, you know, especially with the sun getting low and having to be back. So finally I just whisper, I said, Steve, let's just head back to the house and we'll just say we didn't hear him. If he gets bad that, you know, we'll say, oh, we didn't hear you. You know. Well, we hustled back to the house and wait, we were there and his dad wasn't there. And but then his dad come in just back from they had some chicken house. It's easily like, I'm just just coming in from the chicken house, which is on the other side of the property. So there's no way he could have been out there in that in that holler, you know. So that was weird, and we never really spoke about it much, but but I remembered that when when Steve had his encounter or whatever that messed him up so bad. I thought about that earlier. I never brought it up, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not heard stories like that. There are things out there that will mimic known voice and voices known to the person hearing them. In fact, I had somebody send me a story the other day for Midnight Mailbox where they were out in the woods and they started hearing not just one voice, but several voices that they recognized, like their aunt and a kid that they knew, and their best friend. And I've heard other cases where people maybe were out in the woods and heard a familiar voice coming out of a cave, and that'd be a big nope for me, especially if it's somebody that's either passed on or somebody that's halfway across the country. And I hear their voice coming out of a cave. No, sir, I'm not going to go check it out.
Speaker 2: No, No, it was. Yeah, it was really creepy. And we never really talked about it, you know. And after and it wasn't long after this, probably a year or so before, you know, whatever happened to him happened to him out in the woods, and and then I was just I sort of avoided the subject of anything stranger supernatural around him, you know, I just didn't bring it up so I didn't want to upset him further.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something else have been. Like you said, it shocked the speech.
Speaker 2: Out of him.
Speaker 1: That's wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was really strange, and it was it was rough, and we were best friends, so I still went over there and hung out with him every day, but he just really wouldn't talk. And it was a long time for he would even say a word here or there to me. I mean, like a year or two and he still wouldn't really talk talk. He'd just say a word here or there, just enough to communicate. And it come to a stranger his.
Speaker 1: Entire story, if he ever gets the point where he can tell it, but that's probably not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Sadly, No, I don't. He he had a really rough time with it. He's had a rough time since. He's further sort of become a recluse since then.
Speaker 1: And it was something to fundamentally change your personality like that, that's just, uh just say, boggles of mind. I can't imagine, you know, what would scare me that bad. And I've had some some frightening encounters, but nothing so bad that it made me, you know, not want to talk or to withdraw from other people or the change, you know, just my very nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he became, and I love the guy. He's a good hearted guy, and he just to this day he's almost a complete recluse. He you know, no social media, is no you know, intermittently has a phone. Like when I go to visit my parents, like I'll journey up to his cabin to see him, and even then he may may not come to the door, you know, Like he's completely kind of withdrew from society. And I mean he's still alive and everything, but he just doesn't He definitely he makes an effort to not interact anymore.
Speaker 1: You know, I would love to know more of the circumstances, it was whatever it was told him, you know, don't talk to people, don't don't be friendly with people, don't associate with people, or if it's just just shattered his psyche to the point that that's how he deals with it, is just to withdraw it further and further into himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and his parents won't really tell me more about what he saw either, And I think they know more than I do, which is weird, because his bomb used to tell me stories that there used to be up on the dirt roads up there. There's a lot of dirt roads up in that area, just south of Books. There's an area called vash Tie that's really spooky and lots of dirt roads. And they lived from this old farmhouse, her and her family when she was little, and they would talk about these orbs of light that would just float up and down the road, and they called them ghost lights, and they would sort of revolve a little bit, and they'd see them just float up and down the road. And they were telling me one night, and his sister or her sister, her mom's sister actually was sitting there and they both recalled the story. When they were all setting in the house and one of these ghost lights floated right up to their house through the screen door and floated right through the house in front of everybody. Early afternoon. There's maybe ten people in the house that saw it just go floating right by and not even four or five feet from them out the back door, and just kept going. No sound, no heat, just a glowing ball of light.
Speaker 1: Again, fascinating. Now, have you ever been over to Brown Mountain, North Carolina and seeing those lights over there?
Speaker 2: I have, yes, yes, predictable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I used to live in a little town called Mountain City, Tennessee, way up in the northeastern tip and just a little way down the road from Boone, North Carolina, and I would make that trip over to Wiseman Gorge and watch those lights. That's just one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. The first time I saw them, it looked like somebody with almost like a fluorescent lantern running through the woods over there on the other side of the gorge, and I thought, that's just, you know, somebody messing around. And I ended up spending the night up there out in the woods. And the next morning when I woke up and I could actually see them. Those are like sheer cliff faces over there. There's some trees growing out of it, but there's no way you could even walk through there a little alone run with a lantern, but those are I don't know, there's something otherworldly. I think there have been pit seismologists and people like that, I think from North Carolina State or one of the universities over there study those and their findings were inconclusive. And other people try to say, oh, it's lights of cars. They're trained, but they saw those lights in there before there were ever cars or a train or anything back in that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the people have seen them since the eighteen hundreds, and they're so regular, like if I mean you'll see them nine times out of ten going there, I mean it's rare you won't see them. It's for something to be that frequent and so regular and still not have an explanation after all these years is just bad.
Speaker 1: Me heard page of electricity, you know, tectonic plates shifting and it causes I don't know, it looks like somebody with a lantern to me, or landers of some of it. And then there's ones that fly over and they change colors, and I've seen them a big one split into three or four smaller ones and then joined back together. It's again fascinating. I went up there maybe a half dozen times, and I saw him every time I was there. Yeah, sometimes you had to wait real late at night, but I saw him every time. It seemed like if it was raining or a little misty that they were out earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every time. I've been up there, probably five or six times, and I've seen them every single time. So and it's just and I don't know, it's strange to me that there could be something, you know, supernatural or unexplained that you can just go see whenever you want, that it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, regular hasn't a put up a viewing stand or something up there and then charge people to see it. It's it's something to see. And then I would recommend it to anybody. If you're anywhere near Brown Mountain, North Carolina, go and have a look. Now, there's one place, just a wide spot on the side of the road, who is a viewing area. But if you go on the other side of the gorge and it takes them get into it was like a gravel road. You had to go way back in there, but they had it. It's a state forest or some kind of park back in there. They had an outhouse and everything, so a little bit of convenience, but had to work to get to it. But that's the best place to see him from in my experience.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time since I've been there. It's been fifteen or twenty years probably, but yeah, we used to go up there. I've been fascinated by the paranormal and stuff pretty much ever since my friend saw whatever he saw. That Really it.
Speaker 1: Started with me when I'd already had some experiences saw but they would look like Christmas lights, but they were flying around the house. I was probably about three when I saw that. I was trying to catch them, and my Dad's like, what are you doing. I said, I'm trying to get those Christmas lights, daddy. But it was in the summertime there weren't any Christmas lights. That was the first thing that I really remember. But when I saw the apparition of the little boy run across the road and then like little kids, and you, as a parent, probably know what I'm talking about. They've just barely mastered the art of walking, and they find out that they can run, but they don't really know how to stop, and they'll just fall down. That's what this toddler did. But when he hit the ground, he was just gone. I still see him, the outfit he had on and everything, no idea what that was. Now. My grandmother, my maternal grandmother, she was a self prescribed gypsy witch. I don't know where she gets the gypsy part because she was born in to Cade's cobery the Smokies. But later in life I asked her about that, and her explanation was kind of cryptic. But it's like, well, there's some things you're meant to see. There's some things that other people it's something for them and you can see it too, and then there's other things you don't know why you see it. If ever, maybe not even in retrospect. It just is. And that is all I could get out of her about it. But again, that's what started me on my journey. And it didn't scare me, didn't frighten me, but I just like, what was that? You know, little kids don't run across the road and fall down disappearingment At five years old, I knew that and just started me on a quest. And as Charles Fort wrote one measures a circle beginning anywhere, you're always going to come right back around to the same thing. And that's where I'm at, where I've been, and then where I'll always be. I think triah Askath, where the road go. I was not with him one time, and he described the paranormal as like a big jigsaw puzzle, but you don't have the box lid, so you can't even don't know what picture you're trying to make out of the puzzle. And then the farther you get into it, you realize that some joker has mixed together seven or eight puzzles, so there are pieces that don't fit anywhere in the puzzle you're trying to put together. And I thought that was a good analogy.
Speaker 2: You know, your grandmother sounds like one of those, uh, one of those old mountain witches, one of those Appalachian mountain witches.
Speaker 1: Granny witches is the real term for it. Like I said, I don't know where the gypsy came from, but she knows.
Speaker 2: What they call him up there. They they they attached the jipsy to it because my great grandmother apparently had rumors about her. I never met her, but and I didn't hear about it until I was dating. When I was a kid, and I remember going to this girl's house and her grandmother was was wouldn't let me up on her porch because she said that I was related to that witchy woman. And I went and asked my parents what they're talking about, and they told me that Versy was a people thought she was a witch because she would she would she would buy warts. Did you ever heard that? Would they buy warts?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: She would give you a yeah, just take a penny or something and then your warts would be gone the next day. And apparently she taught my grandfather, her son to blow fire.
Speaker 1: That I never did say that now, but the warts. She took a ward off my thumb one time with a piece of gravel and she rubbed it on the ward and told me where to take it and put it. And she said, the next person that walks over where you put that gravel, they'll get your ward. And within a day or two the wart was gone. So whatever she did it worked. But she she didn't cast spells as far as I know, but she told fortunes. She read tea leaves and coffee grounds, animal entrails. She did a little bit of palmistry, and she practiced fornology, which is kind of a lost art now, but that was where they could tell things about you by the bumps on your skull, and that was kind of a turn of the last century type of thing. I've seen those old ceramic heads with the areas marked off on them. But she was a fascinating lay. I was scared of her when she was little. She when I was little, she looked like a witch, like the Hanzl and Gretel type witch, and I was scared to death over her. And I've had people come to me later in their life and say, you know, your grandma knew things that she didn't have any way of knowing. I'm like, you're telling me. She would pop out with things like that sometimes that things about me that she had no way something I'd seen or felt or heard. She wasn't anywhere around, but she knew about it. And she passed away when I was thirteen years old. But I wish I'd had another thirteen with her, because I could have learned a lot from her.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, that's a whole loure up there in the mountains with those old ways like that. And you know, stuff like low and fire, and I've heard I've heard of some of those mountain people could like stop bleeding, and yeah, I was just.
Speaker 1: Thinking of that. There's a Bible verse that's supposed to staunch blood, which you have to walk. I think it's north when you read it, and there was a whole order to it that you had to do it in. But I've seen her do that before. And again no explanation for well, she's more of a kitchen witch. You know. The bowl that she used for scrying on Saturday night might have mash taters in it on Sunday morning on the dinner table, you know. But a granny witch or a kitchen witch is what they call her these days. But she called herself a gypsy witch, and that was to differentiate because there were other types of witches up there in that area that she didn't like and didn't want to be a part of. She would put garlic, clothes of garlic in the keels and house that she lived in. This big old Victorian farmhouse had this old key holds it. It took like a skeleton key, and at night she would poke clothes of garlic in there and say that was to keep witches from getting in the house and it'll be black. But aren't you a witch? And she said those are different witches, you know, and had a lot of stories about hats and boogers and things. She used to say, there's a haint, never holler.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: She she'd moved out of that area, of course, to Kate's Cove and stuff back when she was small. But she'd say, it's pretty up there in the mountains, she said, but don't let it catch out after dark because there's a haint, never holler. And I mean she was right, there's smoke, especially Kate's Cove. I'd say Kate's Cove and probably the north shore of Ontanna Lake are the two most paranormally active areas in the Smokies. I'll say it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I mean, it's it's it's a culture up there, and there's not a lot really talked about it, but it's a deep, rich, like like folkal or culture with the dowsing rods and all the stuff.
Speaker 1: And he was what they call the water, which he could take a piece of willow, a forked willow branch, and he could find not only water, but pipes and things that were underground. He showed me how to do it, and I tried every way in the world to keep the end of that stick from pointing down. I mean, pull him back as hard as I could, and it would still dip down to the point it was a fresh willow branch, and it stripped the bark off in my hands. It was trying to pull down sorrd. Can't explain it, but it works. But he could do the same thing with a couple of pieces of coat hanger. Didn't have to be anything special. It was just, you know, whatever he had, but fascinating. Now there's another guy. I've had him on the show before, Jared King. He has a YouTube channel called Jared King TV and that's pretty much all he talks about is apple and hands, buggers and witches, and he's got some great stuff over there. If you're into that sort of folklore and the granny witches and stuff, give his channel to listen. I think you'd be surprised pleasantly. But all the stuff he talks about over there at all the tails and.
Speaker 2: Stuff, yeah, I would like to. I'd probably check him out because that was something I always found fascinating because my parents, my immediate parents were very religious, very Southern Baptist, and so they kind of frowned on all that stuff, you know, and they kind of sort of tried to keep it away from me growing up, you know. And my grandfather passed away when I was sixteen. He of course like he could blow fire, you know, she had taught him how to blow fire, and he actually I had to burn from a motorcycle. They strayed dirt bikes as a kid, and I got pinned and it pulled up my pants and it burned my calf muscle pretty bad. It blistered immediately, you know, and his house was close by, and he did the fire blowing thing on it, which is he just kind of cupped his hands and he just kind of blew on my calf and he said some kind of words in a whisper. I don't know what he said, and it healed it within The pain went away immediately, like immediately, and then the next day it was like it had never happened, you know. So, I mean, there's stuff to it, and I don't understand how it works.
Speaker 1: So I don't know mind over matter or if it is some kind of witchery or what. And I know somebody had told me a story about it was from that area. Their cow had gone dry, and the man, the husband, was out in the woods hunting and he saw a woman that had built a cow, an effigy of a cow out of sticks, and she was milking this average of a cow and it was actually given milk, and he fired the shotgun. He didn't shoot at her, but shot overhead, and she ran off. And he went over there and tore that wooden cow apart, stick cow apart, and then her cow started giving milk again. And they said that that's what happened, that she had bewitched their cow and that's why it wasn't given milk. And there's all kinds of fascinating stories like that in the southern Apalasis.
Speaker 2: Man, there's a there's an area up there, not too far from where I grew up, And only I had never heard of this, and I haven't heard of it since. And I used to date this girl that lived over there, and I talked to her, well, I brought it up to her because I had been one night I'd been at this gas It was the only gas station that was open twenty four hours around this little town, and so that's where I had to go. And I was there in this car, peeling, this beat up car, and dude jumps out, runs in. The other guy gets out frantically tries to stop off the gas. The other guy's paying for it, and I was just like, I could tell they were in distress, you know. So I walked over and I'm like, are you guys all right, you know, he said, And these guys were, And they might have been drinking a little bit, you know, And there was three of them, and you know, they were just dumb teenagers. And they were like, he goes, we were driving and we were in this area and and a big dog went walking across the road and and he's like and and Jimmy, Jimmy was like, I think it'd be fun to hit it, you know, because they're stupid rednecks, you know. And and apparently they hit this thing, and they swore that it rolled got up on two legs and started chasing their car and it was tearing at the back of the car. And their plan was just to get gass and just keep driving until the sun came up. They were certain that whatever they hit was after them. And I rolled around the back of their car, and it was an old rusted car, a beat up car, you know, but there were fresh metal gash marks and the rust on the back of this car. That kind of stuck with me, you know. So I talked to this girl and she was like, well, I've seen that thing, and I said really, She said yeah, she said, this is this whole. She lived on a place that was called Devil Track Road because apparently they had been seeing this thing for so many years, and there was an old dirt road called old Devil Track Road, and they even named the road that because they were building it they would find all these weird tracks in the area. And she said. The story goes that her grandmother told her that there were three witches. They were sisters. They called them the blanken Ship Sisters, and apparently they were they thought other witches were siphoning their power or something. They were like a group of witches, and so they summoned this demon that was supposed to eat witches, and they wanted to get rid of their competition. But apparently something went wrong and the Blankenship Sisters, according to the story, disappeared, and so this thing is still just roaming the area, and she says she's seen it several times. She said, it's just ty. It sounded like a sasquash. What she sounded like, she said had long had blondish hair, but it could look like a big shaggy dog, or it could stand up and walk like a human. And she called it an evoc and I had never heard that term before since so but I would love to not.
Speaker 1: To me or that either of it. Yeah, that sounds interesting. And then I've noticed that Lauren Coleman wrote about it back in the eighties and then Charles Ford even prior to that place is with devil names, you know that there's a lot of times there will be some sort of anomalist activity there. And there's a couple of different theories on that. It's so called because you know, the settlers of the Native Americans even experienced things there and they gave it the devil name, or just giving it the devil name attracts stuff there. So I could see it going either way. But it's interesting to think about. You think about a lot of missing person cases that I cover. It will be around or in or near some place that has devil or dioblo or some variant like that in the.
Speaker 2: Name, and you can find it on map. It's in the Taylorsville area over in the Ellendale community because she lived in Taylorsville and it was south of Boone. You know, it's about forty five minutes where I grew up. And you can look on the map and you can find Devil Track Road, Double Track Circle, and Old Devil Track Road. It's still called that right on the map. But I would love to know more about that area. And you know, I'm hoping someday I'll get some submissions from that area that I'll line up with it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, have you ever been over close to I thinks lost the Silar City, the Devil's Tramping Ground. Have you ever seen that?
Speaker 2: I've never seen it. No, I've always wanted to. We're supposed to be the big circle that, Yeah, put something in it outside the circle.
Speaker 1: Diameter so that there's supposedly the ground there is absolutely sterile. Nothing grows there, nothing will ever grow there. And uh, last time I was up there, there was like beer cans and trash and stuff in it. But uh, there was a story that some boy scouts tried to camp in it. And drove them out of their minds. I don't know, but it's it's it's got a creepy feel to it.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see it sometimes. That's one of my dreams if I ever my YouTube channel ever gets large enough, and because I only invest in it when I make up out of it, I like to make a couple of motorcycle road trips where I visit some of these haunted places the go pro.
Speaker 1: And make videos about it. Yeah, that's property, But the road up there where it is that, I don't I think they've changed the name now, but it used to be Devil Stomping Ground road through there. So it's interesting though. If you get a chance and can get in there still, I'll go have a look at it. If you have around Silar City in that area and there's a lot of goodhead.
Speaker 2: There's supposed to be a somewhere in Pennsylvania which is just riding my neck of the woods. I need to do some reading about it. I've heard about some moved up here some sort of town or city that's completely a band you can't really get into anymore. I've heard stories about it, and I've not done the research.
Speaker 1: There's one like that in the Smokies too, an old abandoned town up there that when the park took over, those people moved out of there, and some of those buildings are still standing. But I think I know the one you're talking about. You ever listened to Strange Familiars with a Tim Renter and his wife Allison no podcasts, And they're somewhere in Pennsylvania, but a lot of their lore is Pennsylvania centric, so you might want to check that out there. They talk about some really good local legends and scary stuff up there. I'll send you a link to.
Speaker 2: It, because that would be a fun place to visit, if you could even get in there anymore. And I know there's a place in Ohio Helltown, Ohio, and I don't know if that's the official name, but it's where the coal mine is like still on fire underneath it or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard about box.
Speaker 2: Gas that's supposed to be a really creepy area and then moved out.
Speaker 1: There's a river there that got so polluted that the river caught fire and burned, And there's a lot of a lot of weird stuff like that. But yeah, there's I think there's a place. It may be in Pennsylvania too, where there's a underground things a coal mine or something they caught on fire and it's still burning.
Speaker 2: Mhmm. Yeah, there's just so much stuff up here in the Northeast that I'm not super familiar with yet. That would probably be fun to go check out. Like I said, I moved up here, I became a dad almost immediately, and that takes up most of my time right now, you know, so I don't get a chance to go out and investigate it as I would like. But you know, he'll get to an age where he can go with me here before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll really be fun. But I just looked it up here a Centralia, Pennsylvania is where that is. It's a coal seam fire that's been burning in says, a labyrinth of abandoned coal mines. It's still burning. The town of Self been cut off in vehicle traffic and is more deserted than ever. Well, it's still burning, but I'm not sure when it started burning, but it's it's been burning for a long time, sixty two since sixty two, been burning longer than I've been alive, and still burning.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: That is something fascinating stuff there.
Speaker 2: Well, Steve, I'm going to have to go, my friend, I hate to cut it short.
Speaker 1: No problem. I appreciate you coming on and talking stray stuff with me here on everything out there. I'll put a link to your YouTube channel in the show notes, and I'd like to have you on again sometime. I've told I would like that.
Speaker 2: I love I might do some reading and maybe have some I wasn't super prepared tonight. I apologize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just kind of sprug like, hey, you want to come on tomorrow night showing up and you were in the chat tonight when I'm among the missing channel rolled over one hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you absolutely. I would miss all you over.
Speaker 1: At uh first four audio Lee g over there on his channel the other night. He's a good friend of mine, you know, a musical director and he's a really talented individual.
Speaker 2: I had to, uh yeah, checked it out one time and now it's it's it's become one of my favorite you know, kind of relaxing, uh fun stuff that I listened to. You'd be surpri I mean you probably wouldn't be surprised because you read a lot of the same stuff I do. Probably and some of the strange submissions and and let me tell you this missing person stuff, but you start researching those that can really put you mentally down in a hole for a while. I mean you can just yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can't imagine having a child or a family member go missing like that and and not knowing you'll never have enclosure. That would just have to destroy you.
Speaker 2: And you read so much of that, and I do cold cases, and so a lot of the stuff isn't available online, so I'm having to find old newspaper articles and start to read to build my script. And yeah, and sometimes you have to read two dozen articles to find new information. Yeah, a lot of it's the same stuff.
Speaker 1: And I would recommend we make good use of this unsolicited endorsement here newspapers dot com. If you go there, it's it's you have to have a subscription to it. It's not that much. I think it's like twelve bucks a month, but you can search decades worth of newspapers and actually pull up the articles and things and clip those out. If you watch some of my videos where we have the newspaper, actual newspaper articles as part of the video, that's that's where we get though, so check that out. It's a good resource if you're doing those kind of cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's to research that stuff. It wears on. It's nice to have a show like First Floor Audio just to relax.
Speaker 1: Just to relax. That's why I like to go over there and just Listeno can tell that because it does. It gets under your skin. Of same with true crime. Back in the eighties, I was a stringer for local newspapers and I covered a lot of true crime cases that I would rewrite and sell to like Startling Detective and some of those time magazines. Those people get inside your head. I have to would have to pull back, you know, you start studying some of these really really bad guys, serial killers and whatever. There's as Nietzche wrote, when you appear into the abyss, the abyss also peers into you. And that's that's true with especially with the true crime, but with the missing person cases, to the faces of some of those people, they still have my dream. So there's cases that I'll never forget that I've covered. So it it gets under your skin, and you're right, sometimes it's best to go do something just mindless and enjoyable and chill out and take a few steps back from all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the first Floradio live shows are great for that.
Speaker 1: And have you been there on Saturday night when he does the cover versions?
Speaker 2: Not yet. I did hear him do a cover of Suspicious Minds the other day.
Speaker 1: He did a couple does a lot of elbous stuff, and he does elbos really good. He started out doing that as a child. He was like a child prodigy, and his dad would take him around and have him sing Elvis and pubs and stuff. But although it's not like a karaoke show, he creates all those tracks, recreates them from scratch and makes the music himself and then sings along with it. But he does some of those people better than the originals. Elton John, Phil Collins, just a plethora of stuff. He's truly a musical savant. But just keep on keeping on. You'll enjoy it. The more you show up over there, the more you enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I plan to be there tomorrow night, for you know. I plan to be there for the majority of it. At least you'll see me in chat I'll be hanging out.
Speaker 1: I'll see chat mate pop in on screen. I said I was sitting in with him three nights a week. But I just I've got so much going on now, I don't have as much free time as I did. And newly married. I just got married in July, July thirteenth, and uh oh. Nicole writes for the Channel, and just it's amazing. I'm the happiest I've ever been. And she's twenty two years younger than I am. So I've got a step and fetch sometimes to keep up with it. But she's a powerhouse, got a multiple master's degrees, the best writer that I've ever worked with. So, and we're working on some books together, and that was something I wanted to ask you about. Have you ever thought about compiling a book out of some of these things that you do?
Speaker 2: You know, I went to school to be a writer. It's what I wanted to be coming out of high school. And I wrote one book and it was it was not very good. Back in those days, you couldn't self publish. Of course, you had to try and get a literary agent and they would send it to publishers. It was kind of catch twenty two. Yeah, it's kind of a catch twenty two. It's hard to get an agent unless you had something published. But it's hard to get something published unless you've got an agent, and I got so many rejection letters. I just kind of stepped away from writing, like but.
Speaker 1: Then I ended up when Amazon, you know, opened up their self publishing platform. I published Trained Swings in the Woods over there myself, and I'd sold something crazy like fifty thousand copies before I even went with the traditional publisher. But that makes it a lot easier. On my other books. They did the editing and the layout and cover design and stuff, and it's worth it. But it is fun to self publish too. But we'll talk offline sometime. Nicole and I are starting a publishing venture, and if you've got maybe a book idea rolled around in there somewhere, we'd like to publish you.
Speaker 2: I'd be interested. Like I said, I I've always I wanted to be a writer. I actually ended up teaching.
Speaker 1: I wanted to go into radio, and I'd made plans to go to the National Academy Broadcasting, which was there in Knoxville, Tennessee, and I'd wanted to do that since I was a kid. I mean, like in the single digits and the week the week that I graduated from high school, they closed their doors forever. So I went to University of Tennessee and I looked into getting a degree in communications. But there was a lot of math involved and I'm an aspy and numbers confused me. And you know, you have to know like radio stuff, wave propagation and antennas and stuff. And I and I told the ACCOUNTCIS, I said, I don't want to build a radio station. I want to sit and want to talk to So I ended up getting my degree in English. And for the type writing I do, that's extreme overkill. A freshman English class, a composition class, go to the source, and a dictionary. That's all I need. But here I am, and I've got published nineteen books and they've all been best sellers at one time or another. Some of them just keep on keeping on the National Park mysteries and disappearances, while I'm one in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It's back at number one, and Haunted Travel, Haunted unexplained travel, I think, and number two and family travel so certain things in the woods. It's been number one probably a dozen times. It stays pretty much in the top ten. But it's a good thing to do. And like I said, once you write a book, it's out there. You don't have to write it once, and then you get to travel around and promote it. And if there's anything I enjoy more than writing, it's showing up somewhere to talk about my writing and you know, get that treatment. But well, i'll let you go here, but thanks again for joining us. Everything out there, and I said, I'll leave links to your show, and I've been listening to your videos over there. You got a good voice, and you cover a lot of good material. I'm anxious to see what you come up with next.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of fun, it really is. The YouTube channel was something that I didn't expect to get into. I just ended up a time.
Speaker 1: I fell into it backward, so I wanted I was had an interest to the horror narration stuff, and I started a channel and I thought, well, now what I narrate? And I thought, well, dummy. At that time, I had three books, and I just I'll narrate stuff out of my books stories, and I got into it that way, and one thing led to another, and here I am. This is the second time I've passed one hundred thousand subs on my old channel. I had over a quarter of a million over there, but things didn't work out, so I struck out on my own and it took me eight months. But I've just passed one hundred thousand there, so must be doing something right.
Speaker 2: I think it's fantastic. I listened to just about everything you post. I try to and a lot of times I might not catch it right out. I'll catch it a couple of days later, and it just it puts me in that zone where I can work. You know. It's inspiring in a way, and it just gets me that in that right frame of mind, I can sit down and go through my scripts and stuff. And so it's always good to have Glad to help.
Speaker 1: Out my proxy. But thanks again for my guests, and we'll have you back again soon sometime, I hope.
Speaker 2: So Steve, thank you so much. You have a great night, brother you too.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, all right, goodbye, good night. All right, that's gonna do it for this show. Thanks again for joining me here on everything out there. I'll see you a little further on down the trail. Be good to yourselves and each other. I'm Steve Stockton, and please tell your animals I said hi. Good night. Everybody,