Speaker 1: On on on Welcome to the CEO pre show for episode four sixty nine.
Speaker 2: For sixty nine, nice, I was gonna say that, Nah, took my whole thing.
Speaker 1: Took your whole thing. That's it. We're brought to you by the wonderful patrons over at patreon dot com slash CEO podcast.
Speaker 2: Whether they like it or not.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Uncle Bred was on a self proclaimed time like hard out schedule shut down out of here, most likely because he had tackle Bell before he got here.
Speaker 2: You ever said an episode of Ghostbusters where Winston plays baseball with Good and Evil and then the other Ghostbusters are there in the audience and thinking, oh man, we should cheat so that Winston will win it they won't take a soul, And then at the end it turns out that they're not playing for Winston's soul, they're playing for Peter's, and Peter was the one that wanted to cheat.
Speaker 1: It sounds like that song when the Devil went down to Georgia.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like that, except now I'm not necessarily on a time crunch for my benefits as much as your.
Speaker 1: Benefit, time benefit for Gary's toilet. Right, Okay, Well, now that we've figured all that out. Hey, do you do you have a topic for today's pre show?
Speaker 2: I did have a thought, A really a really legitimate magic thought. This magic.
Speaker 1: This is classic pre show warm up, old school stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I was sitting down and I was taking I took apart Maria uh tap artifact make.
Speaker 1: Me Oh yeah, one of our most successful deck techs and episodes from last year, the Maria and thirteen mox Diamonds or whatever it was. Yeah, mox Emerald, mox Emerald.
Speaker 2: Everybody liked that shit. So I took that thing apart because it just wasn't doing the doing the gimmick. And I thought to myself, why didn't it do the gimmick? Why didn't because it teed all the things to do the thing, and then it just didn't do the thing.
Speaker 1: I thought, you took it apart because people hated it.
Speaker 2: No, No, actually it was one of the very few times I think I've ever played a static orb on somebody and then we're just immediate the good brun such a bad guy because you can demonstrate like I'm turning it off, so it's only gonna take me a few turns to kill you. Yeah, I have nine seven sevens and you're untapping one landa turn. I got you. We are not the same, right, So it's good in that way. But so I took it apart, like why wasn't it getting there?
Speaker 1: And I figured it out.
Speaker 2: Figured it out because when you're doing something janky, kind of junky, my favorite was doing One of the best ways to do that is to have your your your deck plateau like get to the very very top of its power curve at like in the middle of the game, not turns, but like in the phase like the beginning, you have nothing, so you build until you have something, and then you play the thing that your deck does. If you can have a janky deck that wins in the getting set up phase or just by a continuous, never ending setup phase, the decks just get really really good, don't they. Example, Omnath Locus of Rage. What does that deck actually do? What does it actually do? It ramps to seven and plays Omnath and then it just keeps on a rampant. All it does is play land. That's it.
Speaker 1: My answer was gonna be when you say what does that deck actually do? I say play lands? Yeah, And somewhere in that whole situation is there's an omnath that arrives and he's like, hey, guys, what's going on. We're playing fucking lands.
Speaker 2: Right, Yep, that's all we want to do, right, And I've noticed there's a couple of decks that kind of do that. Bellows another really good example where you play all these janky, fucking shitty enchantments, and the reason that deck is good is because you get all the benefit from playing all the jank garbage, but you don't have to dilute your deck by playing things that take advantage of the jank garbage, instead of having to play creatures that are gonna get plus one plus oh and haste when they attack. I think you play Street Riot. The Street Riot itself is the right. And I think that Jenk decks have like a especially now with all the design space that they've built, I'm sure there's lots more little spaces you can find, like decks that just win by drawing cards, not by playing cards by drawing them, or decks that win by playing the land or by making the man out, or by playing this just junk form of whatever. Again, using Bellows example, you can just play trash enchantments as long as they cost four or more. They're good, whereas in any other situation, it's like, why did you even bother with that? Right?
Speaker 1: I thought you said you didn't have a topic.
Speaker 2: I didn't until I started talking about the thing I was thinking about today.
Speaker 1: Uncle Branda Wax's poetic about Gruel Deck. Yeah Bello one of our most popular lists from twenty twenty four. And I can say that now because we're heading into like the holiday end of year and wrap up. And I was looking at some of the stats for the business daddies because you know, they're putting the screws to the goons. Hey, they're putting our thumbs and screws and dangling our toes over fire, smacking the bottoms of our feet with cricket mallets.
Speaker 2: Man, what are they called? Cricket bat?
Speaker 1: Cricket bats?
Speaker 2: You get to have all the fun.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well, I'll send me your way next time. And anyways, Bellow is one of our most popular things. And it happens to also be a grul deck. Maybe we should be g Seal Gruel Cookout podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, Mria was also popular.
Speaker 1: We are not doing a grul deck tomorrow. Gcal also sounds like a like an engineered food additive or a preservative as well. Maybe we're not about that.
Speaker 2: Today. I saw a picture of one of those like few food processor machines, like the great big thing that they use to process whatever it is they make processed food out of to the food that it's process.
Speaker 1: Like a big grinder or a mixer or it.
Speaker 2: Just it looks like one of those what do you call the the science contraption where it's like the big vial and it's got the liquid in it and it goes down the swirly to tube and then it goes into something like an opaque cylinder of some kind and there's like a little thing at the bottom that like farts out the patty.
Speaker 1: I am, I can imagine what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: That's what it looks like. And then it had two folding shows in front of it.
Speaker 1: And that's how Commander Cookout builds decks.
Speaker 2: Yes, we just dumped crap into a thing into a tube.
Speaker 1: Somebody milks it like a cow. Looks like somebody's jerking off in reverse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, doing the thing and winning the game. Yes when Yeah, it's reductive when I say it like that, But usually there's steps, right and and those are what we would call phases of a game, like the beginning phase, the first three or four turns.
Speaker 1: Or the setup phase people call it. Beginning phase is like the phase of a turn, So we can't use that. But if we say the setup phase of a game is the first three turns, and you're talking about like strategies that are that that part of their stick is something that you do in the setup phase, something that you do in the main body of the game, and something that you do in the ending part, the finale of the game, or like the critical turn or the alpha strike time of the game.
Speaker 2: And I think those are the same thing, right if you're just doing the one thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think that lands decks are like that because that is the main resource of the game. Is it called our June, the Shifting Flame, the Teffer's puzzle box guy, yep, every.
Speaker 2: Time you play a spell, you puzzle box yourself yourself.
Speaker 1: I feel like that one does that a little bit in that, like you want to be drawing as many cards as you can, so if you're if your commander and your deck is made to do that, like if everybody in your deck is a one drop cantrip, that's like scry and then puzzle box, cry and then puzzle box, and then every single time you cast as a means to puzzle box, you get to scry and set up the next things. Like, I think, I think that's one.
Speaker 2: That'd be a good one. I actually had ours do it for a while. Yeah, heart, way harder than you thought.
Speaker 1: I Oh, dude, you killed yourself every single time I've played against you in that deck. Actually I only think it's two times, but well, dred percent of the time you played that deck, you actually killed yourself and there's nothing that you could even do to stop it. It's like, oh, this isn't to may and oh I can't do this, and I have no cards in my library goops, and I have a spell on this deck, so I guess I have to draw seven. I wish it would at least I think. I think creature types that like, I'm thinking elf ball is like that. What do you how do you win? I'm just gonna cast every elf in my deck? Well, what does everyone do makes me mana and makes more elves or makes my elves bigger? Yes, I think goblins are like that, which is funny because murphoken zombies like the other two kind of classic tribes. Soldiers maybe soldiers is kind of like that, but but I don't think Murpholken zombies are like zombies don't really care what you're doing because they're just gonna do what they do because they can come back. And Murpho only care what you do, so they can stop it to do their own thing.
Speaker 2: And they kind of suck. We can say that. Still, do you think I think they do.
Speaker 1: The classic tribes? Okay, let's rank them. This is cool. Okay, So you think Murpho probably.
Speaker 2: Five of the five that we've talked about.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you think goblins are number one?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I think elves number one.
Speaker 1: Elves okay, elves one.
Speaker 2: Because they can they proliferate themselves.
Speaker 1: You can have one.
Speaker 2: You can have an opening hand with two man of elves and one forest and never draw another.
Speaker 1: Forest, yes, and be ahead for the whole game. And okay, this is funny. I could describe my goblin deck by saying it's like an elf ball.
Speaker 2: Deck exactly, and that's why Elf is one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Elf one.
Speaker 2: I would probably say zombies two, zombie two. I say zombiees two because they have like the most recursion, they have the most variety of things you can play, and they're the easiest to fit into a combination.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm biased, I'm biasing myself and saying it has to be mono colored, like these are the four colors or the five colors.
Speaker 2: Even then, I would still say that the fact that they have so much recursion and they become so large and so difficult to deal with in most cases, I would still I would still ranked them above goblins. You take them, I think then goblins number three, and then soldiers are number four, four, and focus at number eight.
Speaker 1: Oh, i would put soldiers at like number fifteen.
Speaker 2: No, I'd put because they're humans, humans, most of those soldiers.
Speaker 1: Oh, and you get like a battle cry or like a double ah. No, I guess you gotta go out of mono white if you want like double combat triggers. Yes, Like I'm thinking of what's the one that Smitty plays, It's it's it's Mardo colors. He gets double combat triggers, and he plays the other guy that also does that, right, No, because he's.
Speaker 2: Got yeah, I play the green Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's funny that those two are so similar, but they are different.
Speaker 2: They're like identical, but they.
Speaker 1: Do a different thing.
Speaker 2: We've had this conversation they do they do do it, They helmet different, They tell the same deck, but do different things themselves. I like better.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you put goblins number three.
Speaker 2: I do well. I'm trying to be objective. I'm trying to be a journalist up in here.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're just servicing me because you know, I play model black zombies.
Speaker 2: And above Murpholk. I would put cats, crabs, beasts, maybe beasts good, maybe dragons, probably dinosaur mono.
Speaker 1: Still because a lot of these tribes you can't play in them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, in mono color, Yeah, you know, on an.
Speaker 1: Around or Kindred's sorry to everybody who's offended by that word.
Speaker 2: Uh what else would probably? I mean probably scarecrows too.
Speaker 1: Probably you're just being facetious.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I mean that. I mean that I would rather play Scarecrows than I would rather see somebody else play them too.
Speaker 1: That's not what we're being objective about. Those not which one would rather play, which one is objectively the most powerful? Like which one's gonna win a tournament if everybody got to play one creature type only.
Speaker 2: Elves else, Yes, yeah, you're probably right.
Speaker 1: And if you get to add black in there, though, then.
Speaker 2: Also elves, that's a good deck bill elves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you only get to play one color, only one color colors. That would be very bad.
Speaker 2: That would be a very bad deck.
Speaker 1: Can you even make a deck? Are there legendary slivers that aren't five colors? Oh yeah, I can't play it.
Speaker 2: No, can't can't play that one.
Speaker 1: You'd have to play some non sliver as your commander, so stupid.
Speaker 2: Believe it. Or I've tried that with two color decks. I've tried doing like two colors slivers just to kind of see, and the only one that I could kind of make work was green and white slivers, because then that's we're all like, you're kind of power pumpers and you get double striking tramp and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, just like random stuff.
Speaker 2: But when you actually sit down and look at it and what does it do? It was any other green and white token strategy, but a little worse because you didn't have anything that kind of just generally affected all of your creatures and your tokens and stuff, and you still had to play all the bullshit changelings and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going back to your earlier point about not having to dilute what you're doing and just do it. Slivers are I think the creature type that does that. If I don't have access to five colors worth like two hundred different slivers, I don't have access to maybe enough, and I got to put things in that service, the things that I do have but don't build like a bigger base and taller pyramid like slivers do. Exactly. You know what that's that's gonna come up on tomorrow's deck tech. Yes, where where I searched up on scryfall a combination of both of the two creature types that we're looking at in the color combination that we're looking at, and there's one hundred and thirty four hundred and thirty nine one hundred and thirty something. Sure is that enough?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: You think so? Yes? And I know that like generally not with this creature type, but generally is that enough?
Speaker 2: Generally? I would say yes. I think if you have over one hundred different options, the odds of you being able to find thirty or forty, I'm gonna say good. I'm gonna say serviceable ones ones.
Speaker 1: It work in the deck. Yeah, they don't need to be good if if the summation of them is greater than the parts.
Speaker 2: This is a situation where you're gonna end up with a bunch of them that you're just gonna kind of take out because it's like, well, I'm only playing this one because it's a four four for three. It doesn't do anything else, But I'll get rid of it because it's the creature time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when dinosaurs first came out, and it's like, here's the one that's all flavor text, but it's a five to six for six. Yeah, at uncommon because it's all that we have and I needed like a nineteenth dinosaur. Yeah, exactly what many dinosaurs are there? Now? Oh?
Speaker 2: Fuck? Too many? Too many? Is that a BBO? I just had.
Speaker 1: T talk a little to walk us through the BBO that's coming out on well last week, which one?
Speaker 2: Which one is this?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: The Is this the spook Haven one?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, the it's not gloom Haven, Dusk Worn Dusk Warn. So I went out and I decided to make a little cinematic intro.
Speaker 1: For myself to have a cinematic podcast.
Speaker 2: Didn't have a whole box to open because I only had the Collector Box, then the Nightmare Bundle yep. So I decided I would try and fill time by making a little movie of myself. It was really hard because my phone is from twenty seventeen and the camera sucks. The memory is too small, so I had to wait and get some help. And I had to do it like in the daytime instead of in the night time, and I couldn't go outside, and it was the whole thing. But we got it done and I'm.
Speaker 1: Very happy with thro. There is a pajama scene's pajama scene. There's an arcade scene. There's a I zoomed in when you spit out your toothpaste. If any of those kinds of things intrigue you, oh and.
Speaker 2: Murder, if you're wondering what all of those things involving a box opening. If that intrigues you, you should go back and check it out. I think you'll get a kick out of it.
Speaker 1: Producer Gary's is just salivating. He's at the He loves BBO is his favorite thing on the CEO YTC.
Speaker 2: If you will that makes me happy, the BBO on the CCOYTC. I gotta say it real fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, one hundred and ninety three dinosaurs across five colors.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely enough.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely enough, particularly because there are they're kind of pardon the pun, top of the food chain in terms of like whatever set they come out in. Yes, right, so they are the big flashy thing, and you never feel bad going outside of dinosaurs to like service them, like, oh, I got to put in ten elves to make mana so I can run my dinosaur deck, like, nobody feels bad about that.
Speaker 2: Well, there's lots of those elves that are wearing like dinosaur feathers in their head pieces and stuff that.
Speaker 1: Add dinosaur colored mana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the art theme is already there for lots of them and stuff because we had exelon where all the people are from dinosaur.
Speaker 1: Ville or dinosaur Land. Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: They're a I would say, almost over represented creature type. We want more scarecrows.
Speaker 1: Now, oo, give me a scarecrow, give me give me the creature type from tomorrow's deck. I'm not gonna spoil it or nothing. But and we can't send you prizes because all of the postal service is still on strike.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna tell this story on the show tomorrow, but we'll give you a quick tea quick quick rundown. So fujigamey online e dot comy business daddy. I've heard of them source for all gaming needs. So your boy me wanted some cards that came in on the wish list. Oh, can't be can't be snoozing on these? No, can't be snoozing.
Speaker 1: Did you ceecial holiday to get a discount?
Speaker 2: Okay, save myself a few bucks. Got these cards I've been waiting for for quite a while. And I'm thinking to myself before I click by, It's like, do I really want these to be dropped into our on strike postal service? And I thought to myself, nay, nay, Brando, we shall not do that. And so I clicked in store pickup. Oh no option forget these cards to myself, and I thought to myselfself, now that you've ordered the cards and paid for them, you should probably find out if you know anybody in Winnipeg who'll pick those up for.
Speaker 1: You and drop them into the vacuum that is the Canadian postal service on Fusion's behalf.
Speaker 2: Turns out, girl, I work with Libby wonderful lady lives up the street from Fusion.
Speaker 1: That's really her name. I thought that was a dirty nickname.
Speaker 2: No, that's your real name.
Speaker 1: Let's let's continue week. We have to move on or I'm gonna get myself in trouble.
Speaker 2: Lives up the street, picks up my cards tomorrow. She's gonna bring him in for our company Christmas party next weekend. It's going to be appeal almost as quick as if I had ordered them through the mail.
Speaker 1: Can I be your date for that?
Speaker 2: Who needs Canada post? You fox?
Speaker 1: All right? Still? Do you'll do? I don't have a Libby.
Speaker 3: Do not google that got him?
Speaker 1: I want to be your date for the Christmas party tickets? Oh wow, just don't just it's an open bar. I know you've worked there for twelve years. I've never went. I'll be Can I be your date?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: Little Brooklyn's got to be invited. He's a part time guy.
Speaker 1: He's not invited. That's all I heard.
Speaker 2: Now there's only not only the part only the full time human.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, well okay, I know sure. Oh it's not even going up pick up at eight and I'm waiting on my I'm waiting in my fancy dress and I'm waiting for my day to pick me up.
Speaker 2: I don't know who Aaron mcnuttstack and you go with the lady McNutt oh man.
Speaker 1: We love her. Yeah, I heard her on the radio the other day. Hey, we got to go before we get you in trouble talking about all the radio and stuff. Oh me, okay, four sixty nine nice? Nice? Uh. We're doing a deck Patreon submission. Yeah, and it's gonna be a good one. A potentially underserved creature type. But there's two of them that I've combined to make it maybe not underserved. We got to talk about whether this is.
Speaker 2: Like both of these underserved.
Speaker 1: They both are, but are did they make this commander to say, oh yeah, being like making something different for let's make it one card and just say fucking not what they do? Is that what they did?
Speaker 2: No, it's because one of them has the other one invol.
Speaker 1: Inside of itself. Don't google that. No, they're not inside though, well yeah, but like where they're you know what I mean, where they're anchored. It's kind of like being inside. Everybody's gonna know what we're talking about tomorrow. For sixty nine, he's Brando I'm Ryan hit our theme song by Bra