Speaker 1: Seven oh six if any five k c DE talk station, yay for Friday or woohoo for Friday is a case of day and a great hour of power coming up right now. And the citizens of the City of Cincinnati have a really I suppose a debt of gratitude to pay to what we call citizen watch Dog Todd Zenzer, host of the Citizen Watchdog podcast, which you should listen to. He is an inspector, former inspector General for the United States of America, and I just got done telling Todd off air that we should put him on the job of the medicaid problems we have here in the state of Ohio, which they're now just getting into. But using artificial intelligence, it seems to be pretty easy to ferret out fraud, waste, and abuse, much in the same way Elon Musk, inspite of the challenges he's facing right right now with Trump and the childish war or on social media. Todd Zenzer, following the antics of the City of Cincinnati council members and the mayor, Welcome back, Todd Zinzer. It's always a pleasure having here man.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian. It's good to be here.
Speaker 1: And I do appreciate the work you are doing, and you know every I mean every week and every time we talk. It's just it's almost just hard to believe what's going on behind the scenes, or as the case, maybe what's not going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, there is a lot going on behind the scenes. And I think that's one of the city's biggest problems. Is this whole transparency issue.
Speaker 1: Zero transparency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really amazing. And if they're not keeping things behind the curtain, they're just flooding you with all of this information that isn't organized, and you really don't understand what it's all about, and you really have to, you really have to look into it to find out what little nuggets of information is out there about what's really going on.
Speaker 1: Well, it takes a tenacious person like you, who so unpaid as you are, are willing. I guess it's kind of a hobby for you. You really like you be in the fly in the ointment for those clowns and you connect the dots.
Speaker 2: Well, it's what I did for a living for so many years.
Speaker 1: And it's in your blood.
Speaker 2: It is an interesting mine, to be sure.
Speaker 1: Well, it's one of the more bizarre hobbies in retirement that one can have, but we thank you for doing it. So let okay the topic number one, the missing audit has been found. Now you're gonna have to provide the background for this, because you and I have talked about this before, but you know, lay the groundwork for what you found and then we can talk about what it means, what the audit report that you found and the implications for that are.
Speaker 2: Well, several months ago, I started looking into this phenomena of a lobbyist lobbying the city. Yeah, so I was looking for the lobby the list of lobbyists, which isn't easy to find either, but there is a list out there. And I started to think about all the corruption cases that I'm aware of that involved lobbyists. One goes way back to the early two thousands of Washington where the Jack Abramov scandal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, your BLAT's a blast from the past.
Speaker 2: Well, I was there when all that was going on, and it actually was uncovered by or investigated by the Inspector General for the Interior Department, and the Deputy Secretary of Interior wound up getting prosecuted. But it was a big scandal. It was it was all obvious. And then you have what happened here with the council member, And I got curious, was there anything that went on with all the gang the gang of five? Was there anything that went on with lobbyists? A gang of five?
Speaker 1: The scandal, Jeff Pastor scandal. Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You know, we had a we had a similar issue in Columbus with lobbyists that first energy that that involved lobbyists. So anyway, I didn't really find anythingolder was yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't find any lobbyist issues with the corruption scandal. But along the way, I found this article that Sherry Coolidge did about this. The headline read, a Cincinnati audit is mysteriously scaled back and then they quote they have a quote in here someone is protecting one or more people. So after I read the article and found out that there was supposed to be some kind of audits a red flag. So I obtained a copy of the audit, went through it. And I'll tell you, after the three members of council and Wendell Young got indicted on these felonies, Mayor Cranley and Christopher Smithermany, they went to work, Yeah, and they took actions to try to figure out how the city moves forward from here. And one of the things they did is they asked the government, the city government, to have this audit done of these existing of these other economic development projects.
Speaker 1: To hire an outside auditing firm, get the money to hire them, and to have them conduct the audit right.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, they established what they called the Economic Development Reform Panel, and that brought in I don't know, I think it was like a dozen community leaders, attorneys, former judges, people from the Ethics Commission, they were religious leaders, there are Democrats, Republicans, to look at what happened and to come up with a plan for the city to follow, to try to create a more ethical environment for the city council.
Speaker 1: So unscrupulous individuals can't basically pay to play or pay off or otherwise bribe council members or the mayor in order to advance their personal interest project, whatever that project may be, which of course is the fundamental basis of all these the felony complaints that were wel that's correct.
Speaker 2: Well, except for Wendell Young, he got prosecuted for obstructing justice in the Gang of Five investigation. The other three were corruption rights everywhere. So I looked at the Economic Development Review Panel. They started their work in February of twenty one. They issued a report in July of twenty one and had a number of recommendations, And one of their recommendations was, yes, do this forensic They were calling it a forensic audit at the time. Do this forensic audit, promptly, get it published, put it out to the public about what needs to be done. That was one of their big recommendations.
Speaker 1: Okay. And so the firm audited individual projects that were funded by the city or voted on by the city or otherwise like maybe tax abatement areas or any any kind of economic development project exactly. So they looked at the documents related to how that was approved and that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because they focused they collected a lot of data on how the city council voted on the various tax abatements or credits or whatever that these two hundred projects received. So they were saying they were looking at looking for patterns, voting patterns, to see whether they whether those patterns indicated any unusual votes on the part of these council members, yes or no. Okay, And I think the bottom line is they didn't really find any issues. But their recommendations I think really didn't really weren't well received by the New City Council.
Speaker 1: Okay, so boiled down from what I'm hearing is the audit was conducted. They looked at all these projects, and they didn't find anything what I will loosely refer to as shenanigans, like, oh my god, this voting pattern reveals that someone's getting paid something like that. But because of what had happened before in connection with these scams, they created recommendations in order to improve the process, maybe bring more clarity to it, and perhaps shed a little more sunlight and transparency on the project, on the process, And that's the part that wasn't well received, is your conclusion.
Speaker 2: There were two recommendations in particular that I focused on that Crow was the name of the outfit from Chicago.
Speaker 1: Real quickly, when did when was the audit commission? And when did it come out? How much time were we talking about between today and when This conclusions and these recommendations were made to tell.
Speaker 2: You how slow the process worked. This was initially the result of a resolution entered or emotion entered by Christopher Smitherman when he was on council towards the end of their term, he put this motion out to have this done. So that was in twenty one, and they signed a that might have been that was in twenty one. They signed a contract in January of twenty two, and the audit firm issued their draft report in December of twenty two. So what should happen after the draft report is issued. That wasn't done is that the audit the person who is getting audited, they're supposed to look. They're supposed to look at the draft audit see whether there's any factual issues that they have heartburnover. They're supposed to respond to the recommendations. Do they agree? Do they not agree?
Speaker 1: Sure? You know, it's kinds like reviewing a deposition and say no, no, no, no, that's wrong. I did not say that it's been improperly transcribed exactly. Your conclusion is wrong for the following reasons. And here's all the reasons why. So that's what you do after the draft audit is issued.
Speaker 2: And that that is part of the contract with the auditor.
Speaker 1: And so that wasn't done.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati did not do that. The city did not respond in any way to the draft report, which.
Speaker 1: Means they agreed with it, that we can at least make that a logical conclusion. If you remain silent in the face of the draft audit, then you agree with what's in there. Let's pause, because we're going to find what Todd was able to conclude after reviewing the final audit, which took him about a gazillion years to finally uncover and jar your own conclusions as to why it wasn't immediately published and released to the public first, though, John Ryan Press Eesion Tiers, you want your kitchen O model? Do you want to work with John Ryan Pressed Desion Tiers is his company, and he's the man you'd be working with from initial design to final installation. You will find him to be a very very pleasant man when it comes to kitchen room modeling. Nobody's got more experience than John more than thirty five years of doing almost exclusively kitchens. Yes, about a decade ago he did. Ours love it to this day. Every time I walk into that kitchen, I just remember how it used to be and how much improved it is. Better flow, form, design, storage, everything's improved. You don't have to go gut in the whole thing like he did with us, you can just do Cabins encountertops that he's the man to work with your true partner in your kitchen remodeling project from initial design to final installation. And the only guy you got a call. You want something done, you call John. You want to change something, you call John, and you can call him right now to schedule appointment of five one three two four seven zero two two nine five one three to two four seven zero two two nine A plus with a better business burial online at Prestige one two three dot com fifty five KRC. Here's you channing on what the forecast s A couple of days worth anyway, clouds day's got a showers and storm played this afternoon, I have eighty we got rain likely overnight. Storms are expected to continue overnight as well with a low sixty seven. And we got some sun but mostly cloudy tomorrow and if tiny chance of rain eighty two for the high seventy three. Right now, let's get a traffick update from the UCL Tramping Center.
Speaker 3: Millions of Americans are living with Alzheimer's and other dementias. Find answers from Leading Brain health experts at you see health one more d you see out dot Com.
Speaker 1: Highway traffic mutt. All of that bad.
Speaker 3: But you got to go through some pretty thick fog right now on two seventy five between the more Inspa ramp and the bridge northbound seventy five. That's doing fine through the cut. They cleared the problems northbound seventy one near ken Wood Road. Chuck Ingram Month fifty five KRC EAT Talk Station.
Speaker 1: Seven's one of you. If you about ker City Talk Station A very happy when or spitting the hell is on my mind. It is Friday anyway. Citizen watch Dog Todd's inswers in Sudio No moreen. He is not suicidal. She thinks she have a death wish because you're speaking so much truth to power. I don't think we have any Clinton family member power on the City of Cincinnati. So I'm not worried about you, Todd. You keep I'm not worried. You keep raising the awareness of the City of Cincinnati residence, and I just hope that continues, and I hope more and more people check out your podcast, Citizen Watchdog, because he's at this all week long. All right, So we laid the foundation for this audit. Yes it was a post corruption audit. What can we do to right the ship, to make the process better, to make the process less corrupt by way of for whatever projects being proposed, whatever tax abatement, whatever building is going to be built, whatever Hyde Park development, well connected developer project is going to be you know, uh uh, get his own change for We want to make sure it isn't done or have any corruption associated with it. So outside entity from Chicago has spent a year or so looking at it. They're paid one hundred and fifty grand to do the report. The issue the primary report, opportunity for the council members and the mayor to comment on it, to identify any problems with the initial report. Nothing said, not a finger lifted, not a word spoken from counsel or the mayor. So they did a final report along with recommendations. So that leads us up to here.
Speaker 2: It got a little bit worse than that. Oh it did.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm shocked. Do tell so.
Speaker 2: Instead of providing comments about the recommendations and the findings and correcting any problems with the draft report, Cheryl Long rejected the report. She told the city Council and the mayor that the report was not satisfactory.
Speaker 1: For what specific reason.
Speaker 2: Well, she didn't say, but she promised to work with the auditor to get to do a better job. Yeah, that was sent in January of twenty three.
Speaker 1: How would she know whether it's satisfactory or not.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good question. But I'll tell you if there's been.
Speaker 1: A whole year looking at each of these individual projects and all the documents related to them, did Cheryl do that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Here's what I think got to them when Sherry Coolidge wrote this article with the headline about the audit being scaled back, I think they got very defensive over that. There was a footnote in the draft report that basically said that Crow had been asked by the city to change the standards that they're going to use when they do their audit. It went from a performance audit to an assessment. And it wasn't following gagas or they generally accepted government auditing standards. It was going to follow the AICPA, which is the American Institute of CPAs, who is going to follow their standards, which they're basically saying that the city changed the standards that they wanted us to use and looking at.
Speaker 1: This they made that change after the Crow firm had been working on it and up to the point where they could release a draft form.
Speaker 2: Right at some point in time, and we don't know when, there was a conversation between Crow and the city where it says that after discussion with the city, Crow's performance under this ordinance is an assessment under a CPA's consulting standards and is not a forensic audit. So they changed the rules that they wanted the auditor to follow in doing their work.
Speaker 1: Well, wasn't there an RFP at the outset for Crow to look into and say, hey, I got my hand up, I would I this is what I would charge for it. Yeah, that's where the standards were initially included. Yeah, So they did it in accordance with what they were told to do with the outset, and then sometime along the process, probably most of the way, if not all the way through, that's when the city manager says, no, you want to do it to a different standard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want the hell Todd, Well, that's what I'm talking about, Brian, because I either there was a total disconnect in the city manager's office, or they didn't like what was in the audit, were worried they didn't like what was in the audit.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, well we still haven't gotten to the conclusions in the audit that they have apparently not followed through with or followed in spite of the fact that it was the purpose of the audit to provide conclusions and recommendations to follow. It's seven twenty five. We're gonna finish. We'll figure this out. Every time we talk it keeps getting worse taught. I mean, this is good. Why I love you man, seven twenty five. But if I have care, see the dogs station, doctor Fred Pack, doctor Meghan Frew. They need to be your dentist or you need to have them as your dentist. They're the best, absolute best. And if you're talking cosmetic dentistry, how could you find a better cosmetic dentist than doctor Fred Pack. A fellow with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, he was only one of three of those that really reached that lofty position in the entire state. I mean, aren't that many in the world. He has done a masterful, stunning life changing smile makeovers, A King of Cosmetic Dentistry and doctor Megan Frew on her way to accreditation, so she's got her fresh vision and and perspectives with cosmetic dentistry and doctor Fred Peck's years and years of experience. But in the final analysis, they're both of my general dentists. They do great general dentistry as well. I love going in to see them. The staff there are so friendly and welcoming. It's a comfortable environment, and I always like to point out I know a lot of people don't like to go to the dentists, but you should. It's important for your health, So go then too. The clinic there. You'll love being there and they'll treat you great. And everything I've heard about doctor Megan Frew is just, oh my god. People love her, not that they don't like doctor Fred pac mind you five one three sixty one seventy six sixty six. You know that it's really close to the Montgomery Road Eggs of the two seventy five. I mean you're almost there, so they give you some context where they're located. Easy to get to five one three sixty two one seventy six sixty six Online Packpeck Pecksmiles dot Com fifty five KRC. The medal of honor is the highest. Here's a quick weather forecast. Cloudy day for the most parts got It. Showers and storms will develop, and they say later this afternoon could be severe. Watch out eighty for the high overnight rain as likely, storms may continue. Sixty seven for the low and some sun but mostly cloudy Saturday, eighty two for the high end. Right now, it's seventy degrees time for traffic from the.
Speaker 3: UCALP Tramping Center. Millions of Americans are living with Alzheimers or other dementias. Find answers from leading brain health experts at you see Help Learn Mooring you see help dot com. Highway traffic continues to look pretty good this morning. Waiting for the fog to lift on two seventy five between the Lawrence Perd Ramp and the Carrol Cropper, so be careful heading into the construction cruise continue to clean up from an overnight train to ram It in Hamilton. Walnuts blocked off between King and Seventh chuck ingram On fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: The talk station Hey seven thirty fifty five Krcity talk Station. Happy Friday. Todd's ends or citizen watchdog in city, get a citizen watchdog podcast and find out what's going on in the city. Boy, it's taken us a long time to get there, but we've walked through all of the shenanigans going on leading up to the final report which was issued. Again, the report related to a review and analysis, forensic of the process of getting contracts approved and abatements approved by the City of Cincinnia Cincinnati, of course on the heels of the scandals involving PG Sitting Fell, Jeff Pasture and others. So the firm releases the draft, then the city says, oh, oh, oh, by the way, No, no, we don't want it done that way. We want it done a completely different way. At some point into a what amounted to a year long process for the review. So what is the What was the final report issued and what standards did it used? Did it used the ones that the city manager changed last minute or did it stick with it the parameters of the original negotiated agreement with the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did put in their final report that they followed the government auditing standards for a performance audit.
Speaker 1: That was what they were supposed to with the outset yes, okay.
Speaker 2: Good before apparently somebody from the city spoke spoke to them. But there were several findings. A lot of them had to do with recusal by members on certain issues, which is still a problem.
Speaker 1: But they like, if you have some personal relationship with a developer, like it's your brother in law coming in, it's your council member and your brother, your brother in law, your family member comes in and says, hey, I need you to approve this project I want done right that that that's obviously, on its face, appearance of impropriety, I think is what we call it in the law. Right.
Speaker 2: So they set out recommendations on how to manage recusals by council members, what you know when they should who they should recuse themselves to, and et cetera, et cetera. But there were two recommendations that several of us have been interested in for a long time, and one has to do with the three reading rules for enacting and ordinance. Under the Charter, the city council is supposed to read an ordinance three times before they vote on it. And what this city.
Speaker 1: Councils three separate council meeting exactly. They can't just read it three times in a row in one council meeting. Right, they seem to do that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I could see that too. They have to give the public time to understand what is happening and provide any input.
Speaker 1: So but what input that they will then ignore Hyde Park?
Speaker 2: But what the city council? This city council does it. The previous city councils do it. They either vote to waive the three readings or they designate the ordinance an emergency. And so one of the findings that CROW had in their final report is they did a sample of these votes on these ordinances and I had estimated on one of my podcasts that it was probably up in the ninety percentile that they would pass something under an emergency. The sam that that CROW took and analyzed, one hundred percent of the ordinances that they sampled were passed under an emergency. And the problem is that they come up with these lame excuses as an emergency. For example, on connected communities that was passed under an emergency. You know what their reason was, we need more housing. That was the reason that Reggie Harris gave to why this thing was passed under an emergency. So CROW actually pointed out these they had an he had an example, or they had an example of one of these lame excuses, but they're all over the place. So that that was very a very good finding, and they had recommendations about how to get around that, or not get around it, but to implement that. But the second one is one I'm particularly interested in. It was when the council was able to provide input online budget line items. They need to explain their increases or their decreases to budget line items. So the city they just went through a three hour hearing budget hearing the other night where they had seventy six witnesses come forward basically asking for money from the city. And they represented something like forty different groups.
Speaker 1: Non governmental organization, not their hand of the cookie drug. Yes, and these are the ones the mayor decides who gets the money.
Speaker 2: Well, what they do is they apply for it. The city manager comes up with her recommendations on which of these applicants should get money and how much. And then and that was what was reported the other night. Now what happens is it goes through some kind of process where the mayor gets to ad and the city council gets to add and that process is not transparent whatsoever. They have it on their schedule, their budget schedule. But in terms of why does why does the manager go through this rigorous, supposedly rigorous merit based process and coming up with her recommendations and then the city council and the mayor just comes in and you know, changes it, it increases it. Last year, the city manager's recommendation for what they call leverage support was like five million dollars. Well after the mayor and the city council got through with it, it was up to they increased at one point three million dollars just with the stroke of a pen. And so anyway Crow with no explanation or one of these lame excuses, and Crow pointed this out that this is a problem. You need to provide a more transparent process and you know, you have to justify these changes to these line items. So I think those those were two issues that were particularly problematic for the city that they didn't like those. The other thing that the A Final report included they talked about a they have a conflict of interest survey. So this is something I did not know existed until I read the AUTO report. But apparently when the new council members are sworn in, they go through, they fill out a conflict of interest survey. Sure, and I guess somebody in the legal department looks at it and helps them. So I asked I put a records request in for them, and I did get a clean copy of the form. And that has issues. I think, for example, they don't even have to sign that. They forget about certifying it. They don't even have to sign all their disclosures on this survey. But they're denying me access to any of the surveys that were completed by any of the council members or the mayor.
Speaker 1: I'm not denial predicated on.
Speaker 2: Attorney client privilege. If you can believe.
Speaker 1: That, No, I cannot believe that.
Speaker 2: Now, whether they use that a lot, they use that a lot.
Speaker 1: But that's that's it's a conflict of interest piece of paper survey that is handed over to the city manager or somebody else within the bureaucracy that's not a lawyer. Well, there's no connection with with attorney client privilege in that.
Speaker 2: Well, I've always wondered who their client really is. I thought their client was, yes, exactly, But if I had unlimited resources I'd probably try to look into that, but uh and take them to court. But that that's that's their game. They do a lot of blocking and tackling when it comes to records requests, don't.
Speaker 1: We have some local attorneys who do that just as I mean, who's they do?
Speaker 2: But they you know, they they cost money too.
Speaker 1: I mean, somebody could do some pro bono work just to have fun. Somebody wants to prod and poke the city of Cincinnati and and and and help ferret out fraud, waste and abuse. Maybe maybe so that we can refer some of this information over to the FBI for them to investigate, because well, you know, the less transparent government is, the more likely something going on behind the scenes that they don't want acknowledged or revealed, the more likely it is that could be criminal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What at the national level we have, we have a lot of organizations like that. I guess Judicial Watch is one of the big ones. Amen, And I think Cincinnati could use something like that, or Hamilton County and Cincinnati could use something like that.
Speaker 1: See it's a call to arms. Someone's out there that can handle that. Don't go away. We have more todds in or including the great Cincinnati train robbery. If we can even get that in, that sounds like a topic that could also take up three or four segments at seven thirty eight right now, and recommend plumb type plumbing because you deserve better. They know you deserve better. That's why they deliver on better, better customer service, better prices, no service fees, and free estimates. They enjoying aplus with a better business. Ureau been pushing on the hot the tankless hot water heaters. They're a great idea. You know, if your water heaters is getting toward the end of its life where it's gone belly up, you know, tankless maybe the right thing for you to go because they save you money. They provide unlimited hot water. You never run out. As long as the hot water's on, it's churning it out space saber about the size of a suitcase hanging on the wall, and can get rid of that giant tank and again, unlimited hot water. It's just amazing technology. And they last longer than the tanks. So that's one of the things they'll do for you. But you know, if you need your sewer line replair repair to replace, they don't have to dig your yard up. They do trenchless sewer line repairs, clog drains, some pumps, whatever happens to me. If it's plumbing, it's plumbing done right by plumb type plumbing five one three seven two seven Tight t I t E five one three seven two seven eighty four eighty three online plumb tight dot com fifty five car. The talk station Senini says, today it's going to be cloudy. We will hit some scattered showers and some thunderstorms later this afternoon. At some point, I have eighty today. Rain and storms are likely overnight with a low sixty seven. We got some sun but mostly cloudy tomorrow, and I have eighty two. It's seventy degrees right now. Traffic from the UCL Traffic Center MA.
Speaker 3: Theist of Americans are living with Alzheimer's or other dimensions. Finanswers from leading brain health experts at U see health. Learn more at uce health dot com. Northbound seventy five if you need an extra minute or two between Buttermilk and downtown. Otherwise, highway tramping can pretty good shape. Crews continue to work with an overnight train. Derey Onment and Hamilton Whialnut is blocked off between King and seven, Chuck Ingram on fifty five KROC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty two fifty five ker City Talk Station, our citizen watchdog, todds Enzer. All right, well, we put to bed the issue of the audit that nobody's paying attention to. But you got further work to do on that in ferreting out the maybe the conflict of interest statements that they wouldn't give you for reasons unknown other than the attorney clam privilege which doesn't apply. But what about the great train robbery I see on my list, the great Cincinna train robbery. Obviously this really to the sale of the train of the railway system. Yes, so what's the story on that if they say it's generating a whole lot more money than the lease payment. We got fifty point fifty six million dollars this year.
Speaker 2: Right, so the city is really trying to do a jiu jitsu. On one hand, they say we've got all this extra money, and then apparently the mayor came out I don't know, yesterday or the day before, trying to lower expectations of what that money can buy because of the increased cost of building materials.
Speaker 1: They allocated thirty million dollars for roads out of the total pile of money fifty six million, and that only paves fifty miles worth of roads. And they were already way way years behind in resurfacing roads exactly.
Speaker 2: And my point and this issue about the cost of the material, Yeah, Adam Kayler was on that during the campaign, and he is correct. The inflation, the inflationary costs of the material is going to make build or repairing these roads so expensive. And people say, well, that's gonna happen whether you use railroad money or not. That's right. But what it's gonna do is going to deplete the one point six billion, and when that's all used up, we don't have an asset any longer.
Speaker 1: Well can they can they dip into principle without approval from the the authorities that that's independent board that's supposed to ride her and preside over the management of that money.
Speaker 2: No, it's gonna be. It's gonna be. The board has strict rules about how much it can give to the city, and if the balance of the one point six goes below a certain amount, they can't send money to the city anymore. They've got to wait for that to build back up. Right, So you have all this Rube Goldberg type of procedures and you know, controls and things like that, and they're gonna they're gonna go through this money like water. And you know, people say, well, why are you still harping on a railroad because it was not a good deal. That wasn't And in terms of the Great Train Robbery, the thing that really is a problem is the fact that you had this public asset, probably Cincinnati's most valuable with the public asset, and the city leaders, if you want to call them leaders, let this railroad come in and basically buy the election. They knew when they agreed to this that under the current state law ballot issue campaigns there is no limit on corporate contributions for ballot issue campaigns, and so Norfolk Southern could spend as much money as it wanted. And then what it did. It spent six million dollars and.
Speaker 1: There was no organized, well funded campaign against the sale of the railroad.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't have any money, you know, we I think Adam put money in. I think the total amount we calculate it was like eight thousand dollars or something like that. But it was also a matter of time. They put this thing on a rocket docket, and we didn't have a whole lot of time to organize.
Speaker 1: But the.
Speaker 2: Problem is that if this was just a campaign where the mayor was running, no problem. But the mayor wasn't running. This was for the sale of a public asset, and so much greater transparency should be required and it's not. But what happened is Norfolk Southern six million went to this political action committee, and the political action committee sent ninety percent of that to a political consultant in Washington, DC who has no public disclosure requirement on how that money is spent.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it went there?
Speaker 2: And this particular political action or, this political consultant is the same one that the mayor used when he ran for mayor in twenty twenty one one. And so I sent a letter to the mayor and to the council, and I thought the council should take these recommendations from these reports, list them out, and do a report on what they did with these recommendations. You know, did you adopt it, If so, how did you not adopt it? If not, why? And then for the mayor, he did these TV commercials for the railway. Yeah, well, we filed a complaint with the Election Commission because his campaign treasurer for his personal campaign was the same treasurer for the political action committee that Norfolk Southern set up, and we thought there should be additional disclosures about the decision making on how they were spending money. Well, we took that complaint to the election committee, but we didn't. We didn't succeed, but we got an affidavit out of the campaign treasurer who said, oh, it wasn't me that made all the decisions, it was a steering committee. So who's on the steering committee? Who is it that called the mayor and said, hey, Mayor, we think it'd be a good idea if you went on TV for us. Who was that and who's on the steering committee? Those are legitimate questions, and so I put that in my letter. You ought to tell us who is on the steering committee. And secondly, you ought to demand greater accountability from SKDK, the political consultant in Washington, about what he's what they did with this money? Did they really spend six million dollars on that campaign? I mean, there was a lot of stuff going into the mailboxes, and there were some commercials, but they really spent six million dollars. That is three times what anybody has ever spent on a campaign in Cincinnati. I'm told that mister Cranleigh's the second campaign may have cost like two million, but this was six million dollars. And there's no way in my view that they could have spent six million dollars. So where's that Where where did that money go?
Speaker 1: Well, if aftab's doing commercials to sell the railroad, I mean he's got to get paid for his time.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he got paid, all right, he got one point six billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Dodds in there. We'll get a couple more minutes with dodd after pretty Ford. Here for my friends at Foreign Exchange, where you get your traditionally imported cars. I know, imported cars, and traditionally some of them are manufactured here in the States. But you know what I'm talking about Asian or European cars. Mean you got a BMW or a Volkswagen, or you've got a Kia or a Honda or a Toyota. Listen, if it's an traditionally imported car or a Tesla, is that a bad word these days? Tesla anyway, they say service Teslas. At Foreign Exchange as well, you get a full warranty on parts in service. You'll pay less money. That's the great thing about Foreign Exchange. You'll save a lot of money versus the dealer when you take a car to FOREI in Exchange, and that is what I have been doing for years. As he certified master technicians will be working on your car. You can actually talk to the tech if you want. I know some you know the dealers still lets you go in and talk to the person working on your car. But if you're if that, if you're inclined to want to do that, you can at Foreign Exchange go to the Westchester location. That's one I recommend. Austin and the team of awesome mechanics there treat you great and pay less. Tyler's will legit off by seventy five East two Streets right on Kingland Online Foreign X for in the letter X dot com five one three six four four twenty six twenty six five one three six four four twenty six twenty six fifty five KRC dot com Friday I request, I said, yeah, you gotta work song two in there because it's Friday. Uh, this has been a really interesting, enlightening and thought provoking hour with Todd's enzers. Sit as in a watchdog and make sure you pay attention to what Todd's doing. And since we don't have a whole lot of time to break down even more shenanigans, which I know you know more about. There's a lot more going on in the city of Sincinnati behind the scenes than we know about. But since I have a few minutes or a couple minutes, you have the podcast that is a watchdog and you're always doing what you talked about. You've done today in connection with the audit. You are apparently going to have your own web page now to put all this information up in an easily usable findable format, since the City of Cincinnati, if it is up there somewhere in their online materials, quite often difficult to ferret out.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so I just think that people are like me, and they want to see the they want to see the evidence, they want to see the documents, and you really can't do that unless you have some kind of repository online like that, so.
Speaker 1: Well as someone who's looking at it from your standpoint, I mean, your goal is transparency, that's hence, you know, the watchdog, because clearly our elected officials, council members and mayor like and the city manager are not at all interested in being transparent about what's going on.
Speaker 2: I do agree with you on that they this idea of oversight and transparency. They talk a good game, but they've got a lot of challenges there, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You're so delicate with your language. There's such challenging. They have challenges. Fundamental problem with being honest, I think is I'm going to at least that's conclusion you draw. That's what I'm so angry about it. And I've been on a rail rant quite over a lot of lack of transparency issues of late, you know, like, for example, real quick here that whole idea, Elon Musk comes out, well, Trump's in the Epstein files, and so all these politicians are coming out, well, well if he was in there, If he was in there, then why wouldn't have Biden released it? And so wait a second, that statement if he was in there indicates that our representatives don't even know what's in there. Why don't we know this's been going on for years? Todd? You know, it's that kind of thing that just really really irks me. Why don't they allow us to have the information. It's only a handful of people in the entire city that will be interested in looking at it. You're one of them. But even if one person wants to look at it. They work for us. The information is not confidential, and so if you ask for it, they should hand it over. Yeah, and they should provide an explanation. For example, in the conclusion of that report you talked about, which makes recommendations on honest, decent, going forward conduct, transparent conduct, they should at least answer the question why they aren't following what they were told to do when they hired this outside auditing firm. Ye, silence, deafening silence.
Speaker 2: I agree with you one percent.
Speaker 1: Well, Tom, we'll have you on again. Keep up the great work. I thank you for what you're doing and allowing me to just scream about it and let my listeners know as well. We need more people like you out there and more interested parties holding them accountable. They work for us. Coming up in sevent fifty six, Donna Schwaben is in the house. It's Schwabinfest this weekend. Let's get our German garb on, let us get our drink and our food, food feedback on. They're going to be in studio after the news. News happens fast, stay up to date at the top of the hour. Not gonna be complicated.
Speaker 2: It's going to go very fast.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Tree Health started to