Speaker 1: The excitement overall for Mark Pope being an next player, he knows what this means. He's really put his arms around the state of Kentucky and calls it their team, and he's correct, and that has made everyone buy in and so exciting.
Speaker 2: So can't wait for the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: How does a schedule like that, a conference schedule, prepare you for postseason play?
Speaker 2: Well, it really does.
Speaker 1: Again, playing on the road is just brutal in any conference, in almost any sport, so they're gonna have tough games. So yes, it gets the fight in you. It gets the intensity and how the level has to get up there and the defense will be better, and the road wins you get.
Speaker 2: Those are the ones you really like. Home games.
Speaker 1: I always like to say, we're supposed to win at home, But on the road, that's the real challenge, and that's when you see how good maybe you can get in tough situations. It's Kentucky's team and it's beautiful, He'll say to me, he said a few times.
Speaker 2: I've been on a few things and.
Speaker 1: He's like, it's your team, Jim, you built this team. And I'm like, I'm one very small brick.
Speaker 2: In this team.
Speaker 1: So he has embraced it because again he played here and he knows what the tradition means, and it makes all the difference. All the young men like me, they get to come back. I'm not young, but all we come back, we feel like he wants us to come back and be around and he totally embraces that.
Speaker 3: Welcome into another episode of Behind Kentucky Basketball, presented by UK Federal Credit Union, and today we are recording in our brand new downtown studios. I'm your host, Michelle Keneswick, and this week I'm joining with former Kentucky basketball player Jim Master. Jim played for Kentucky from nineteen eighty to nineteen eighty four. Coach by joeby Hall. Jim, thanks for taking time and walking down to our studios today.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for asking me.
Speaker 1: It's always fun to talk UK basketball and a lot of great memories for me, especially.
Speaker 3: The Louisville game especially, and we are going to get fully into the Battle of Boluegrass as we've got that game this Saturday here in Lexington. But let's go back a little bit an exciting time this offseason. You get a former player, Mark Pope coming in at the helm of this Kentucky team, and can we just talk about the last couple of months and how exciting that has been.
Speaker 2: Jim, Well, we can.
Speaker 1: And of course all the Kentucky fans, all of Kentucky, but truly probably all the United States now in college basketball. They made a name for themselves right off the bat. I've met all the guys, and what a quality coaching staff, what a quality bunch of young men that he's recruited. They bought into it right away. They're hungry, and this first part of the season, let's be honest, it's been pretty magical. They've only lost one game that was on the true road game and they did not play well, but they still had a chance to win. So but the Duke game, of course, the Goodzaga game, and just the excitement overall. For Mark Pope, being an ex player, he knows what this means. He's really put his arms around the state of Kentucky and calls it their team, and he's correct, and that has made everyone buy in and so exciting. So can't wait for the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: I know, We've had so much excitement and we're really just scratching the surface of the college basketball season, which is kind of crazy. But I think that's what makes this preseason, all these non conference games so fun, is all these different matchups that you get to see.
Speaker 1: Correct and kind of I kind of hear it in your voice. It's a long journey, but the first part of the journey's been really really great. But playing these games and getting some of these wins, it's obvious it's great, but it really helps him too going into the conference because our conference is going to be super super tough playing on the road in any sports, a lot tougher in playing at home. So I'm excited that they're building this record and this resume for when March comes. Of course, we didn't talk about this much, but some of the last Gonzaga game, we didn't even play our starting point guard, and that helps the other players gain confidence too that they won without him and gives other players chances to show what they can do. Well.
Speaker 3: You mentioned, you know, Lamont Butler out didn't play in the Gonzaga game. Kerkkrisa who came in you know, ended up hurting his foot in that. Kentucky Basketball announced that you know, he will be out indefinitely for now. So Jackson Robinson, who came with Mark Pope played point guard, and I think that that was a big rallying moment you mentioned there, Jim. You know, when somebody gets hurt or somebody gets injured and somebody else tests to step up or take a different role, you know, it's an interesting dynamic. But then to be able to overcome it as as a team, it's kind of, you know, exciting, and it gets them like excited that they can do and overcome, you know, adversity. Was there a moment maybe in your time at Kentucky where a player got injured or somebody had to switch positions and you guys were able to overcome that.
Speaker 2: Are you specifically, Well, it's a great question. Really.
Speaker 1: I started thinking, there's always adversity, yeah, major college basketball and ups and downs. But we had Sam Bowie get hurt for you know, we didn't so I came here as a freshman. We had Sam and he was one year ahead of me, but then we didn't have him for my sophomore in junior year, so there you go, that's pretty good adversity. And then he came back for the senior year. So we actually collectively had really good seasons because I think coming together and doing different things, so someone else has to step up, and just like Jackson did the other night, that that really was a huge moment for him. In my personal opinion, I think he would know and coach both. I think he's been probably disappointed in some of his play and maybe getting into these games sometimes, but I think that might really set him off. He was outstanding and I think he knows now there's more than he can do than just shoot three pointers.
Speaker 3: Well, and if you're a Kentucky fan and you know who Sam Buie is in the significance he add to your team, you know that was quite adversity that you guys had to overcome. But you know, speaking of Jackson and Robinson, you mentioned that you've met a lot of guys on this team, you've been a part of this program residing here in Lexington. Has there been a specific player that you know you've met at practice or who's maybe surprised you this year?
Speaker 2: Well, another good question, to be honest.
Speaker 1: They all surprise me when I met him in the summertime, and I saw a few things early that Coach Pope invited us too. So wow, they all can shoot, or most of them can really shoot. And then I thought to myself, well, let's see how they do in a game. And we've seen how they do in the game. So I think, really and truly all of them surprise me in a good way that they're such good young men and they play together as a team, and that's.
Speaker 2: A huge, huge thing.
Speaker 1: And I think they have confidence in every one of those top ten players I call them. I think that's one of our keys. We're deep, and Coach Pope is not scared to put any of those young men in at different times, just like LaMotte getting hurt and boom, someone steps in. So I think that's what we'll see the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know, we kind of talked about how college basketball, you know, the SEC is is so tough. They play, you know this this tough non conference schedule, and really just college basketball.
Speaker 4: As a whole.
Speaker 3: Right now, you know, you're seeing the transfer portal. You can be a one and done, you can play at five different schools.
Speaker 4: Some people had a COVID year.
Speaker 3: Still, I mean, it's almost like the misfit toys all coming together and Mark Pope putting all these puzzle pieces together and it works.
Speaker 1: And it looks like the new plan, of course we're only a little bit through the season, is go out and get older players, more experienced players, good players, good players, and maybe players that aren't worried about going number one the draft or number nine in the draft or number sixteen in the draft. I think all that has some effect. That'll play defense ninety say ninety, but play defense the whole game. Again, I think they've all bought.
Speaker 2: In and that Pope knowing and doing this.
Speaker 1: But college basketball, as you say, maybe college sports were in such a different realm. Now by the way, we're gonna have to have almost a whole new team next.
Speaker 4: Year, I know.
Speaker 2: So do you get it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we're having a blast this year. Someone asked me at the other day. I started eleven, said, who cares? It's this year?
Speaker 4: This year, focus on this year.
Speaker 2: Every year is this year.
Speaker 4: So it's crazy. It really is crazy, but it is exciting.
Speaker 3: And you know, you spoke specifically on coach Pope and what he really has done and there's just been so much magic in embracing the fan base and this is Kentucky's team. And you mentioned you got to go to practice over the summer. Has have you been able to maybe I don't know, like see this program and kind of bring that brotherhood back. I know that he and he invited a bunch of former former players to Big Blue Madness, and there's been this this outreach of kind of bringing everybody in and welcoming the brotherhood in.
Speaker 4: Has that been different for you this year?
Speaker 1: Oh uh, that's kind of what I thought I said earlier. He is It's Kentucky's team, and it's beautiful. He'll say to me, he said a few times. I've been on a few things and he's like, it's your team, Jim, you built this team. And I'm like, I'm one very small brick.
Speaker 2: In this team.
Speaker 1: So it he has embraced it because again, he played here and he knows what the tradition means. And it makes all the difference. All the young men like me that get to come back. I'm not young, but all that we come back, we feel like he wants us to come back and be around and he totally embraces that.
Speaker 3: All right, listen, everybody, we need to take a brief moment to think. Our podcast sponsor UK Federal Credit Union as the official credit union of the University of Kentucky. UKFCU understands that students need support, and that's why they've created the Student Rewards Account, which offers them five percent cash back on all debit card purchases to students aged thirteen to twenty five. Visit UKFCU dot org or stop by one of their seven local branches to open an account today. That really ensured by NCUA well and in a big opportunity this weekend because Kentucky Louisville is always a big opportunity and really exciting because there's two new head coaches, Mark Pope and.
Speaker 4: Pat Kelsey at Louisville.
Speaker 3: So when you think of this rivalry, maybe what is one word that comes to your mind?
Speaker 4: Or maybe three?
Speaker 1: Maybe three, but intense, you know, interstate rivalry that's been around for so many years now, and I feel so blessed that I got to play in the revival of it and back in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: So it's.
Speaker 1: Something that's state rivalries and it's a beautiful thing for college basketball.
Speaker 3: So something I didn't I didn't realize, and I did a little little research before we did this podcast, Jim, But prior to the nineteen eighty three Midwest Regional Final, Louisville Kentucky hadn't played each.
Speaker 4: Other in twenty four years.
Speaker 3: So that game that you played in in the Elite eight, and you know, Louisville ended up winning in overtime, but you helped send your team to overtime and keep it alive. They hadn't played in the regular season, So you mentioned that that being a part of the revival of this rivalry.
Speaker 4: You know, what what does that mean?
Speaker 3: And now to see how many incredible games that we have gotten year after year and are hopefully going to get another one on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Well I hope on Saturday.
Speaker 1: We're way up in the first so it won't man, But anyway, it's beautiful. Just like being in the studio with you here today, there was you know, biggest reason is how how the Louisville game and how I played, and the three Louisville games I played, And so what's ironic to me and fun is so we hadn't played him in basically twenty five years. That's the best game I've ever played plaid excitement by far, and I've played in final fours, I've played another big games. So crazy, the emotion that went on down in Knoxville, Tennessee, remembered extremely well. But then we played that was to go to final four, so it was a big game no matter what. And then to turn around the next year, about six months later, we played him again to open the season up, and then ironically enough, about four months later, we played him again in the regional, not the final, in Repperena, And so I'm two out of three. We won two out of three of those, so I feel pretty.
Speaker 2: Good about that.
Speaker 4: That's a good percentage, two out of three against little I think so.
Speaker 2: But again, it was kind of ironic how it all worked out.
Speaker 3: You know, when you think back to Joby Hall and him coaching those games, what did the rivalry mean to him that he got to be a part of that revival of that rivalry.
Speaker 1: Well, probably after we got beat the first time, he probably didn't like it too much, but it was so exciting, so great, and then again we did come back and win those games. So I'm sure looking back when he got out of coaching, big deal, and it should have been. It should have been played, and it's good for college basketball, it's good for the state.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's more fun when you win the game, actually, so I think it's been a beautiful thing. And I'm sure he looks back at that, even me, even though we got beat the better best word, I like this bitter sweet for me, so great game went to overtime and kind of all those years of not playing was a pretty cool thing to get together.
Speaker 4: When this rivalry comes up again every year.
Speaker 3: Do you do you talk to some of your former teammates, Do you guys have a group group chat going on or kind of get excited for this this game.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we do that as much.
Speaker 1: We do talk, but again, a guy like me, every time this game rolls around, I get several calls from media, whether it's you guys, newspaper, whatever. I even get national calls. And it's been fun over the years. My son now he's really into it, so I've had calls some pretty pretty big time sports people when these games come around and they want a few words.
Speaker 2: So it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it crazy to think that this game almost every year? Because I was reading an article from twenty nineteen and you had a similar, similar quote of it was an athletic article by Danielle Lanner. Every year, you know, it just seems to come back up, like this game really lives as a significant moment in not just Kentucky and Louisville basketball, but basketball history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that lady is the one you're referred. I think she was from like one of the New York City newspapers.
Speaker 2: So I agree.
Speaker 1: Somebody had sent me that again and yeah again, it's it is important not just for Kentucky people come on Kentucky basketball. It's it's it's truly worldwide. And so that's a cool thing. And as I've gotten older and Mark Pope saying, you know, Jim, you're one of the guys that built this, well, a lot of guys built it, and he's carrying on that tradition. But it it's just a beautiful thing to be reminded of every year at this time and other things. So the Louisville game's a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yes, So having so many student athletes from all different places, right, we mentioned Lamont Butler, He's coming from San Diego State, Jackson Robinson from BYU, Kobe Brea from Dayton, so many different players from different schools coming together. They're getting to experience this first Kentucky Louisville rivalry on Saturday. What would you say to them to embrace that moment?
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I did say something to Kobe. I don't know if any if they know this, but uk I thought it was a nice thing. They had ex players like me write a letter and then even do a video very recently. So my player was Kobe because he's a shooter.
Speaker 4: I guess, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: So wrote him a nice letter, beautiful thing, and told him what it meant to me and the games I played in and who I played against. And again what we talked about is people are still talking about my game against those against that the Dream Game, the original.
Speaker 4: Dream Game, the original Dream Game.
Speaker 1: So just tell him to embrace it and set his own memories as the game goes on.
Speaker 3: So to watch him play, Kobe Burreah, he was the player you got matched up with.
Speaker 4: We know he's a shooter.
Speaker 3: How fun is it to watch him just shoot the.
Speaker 4: Three day in and day out?
Speaker 2: It is he's a crazy good shooter. Now what we need to do, coach bo Okay, let's get more shots.
Speaker 1: But it's tough and believe it because people know he can shoot. So even in my day, you know they're going to put somebody on him and so you're you're creative. If we can get him open more and he's got he's got to work on it too. But crazy good shooter, crazy good shooter. So as I tell crazy good shooters, you got to look for the shot and when you have it, you got to take the shot. So we get a lot of guys that can shoot, though, but he's one of the best.
Speaker 4: What do you think makes him such a good shooter?
Speaker 1: Well, I asked him that actually down at the Duke game and we were in the swimming pool. He's soaking his foot in the tub hot tub or something. I said, have you always been He goes, yeah, But again it's probably like anything.
Speaker 2: He goes, you know, I work at it. I work at it.
Speaker 1: Crazy good form and gets the spin right and a lot of confidence.
Speaker 2: It takes that. So he is one of my favorites to watch.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: Well, Kentucky has Colgate this Wednesday before they have the Battle of Bluegrass. So in a week where you have two games, and especially a significant game on Saturday, you know, how do you stay focused to make sure you don't overlook somebody.
Speaker 1: Well that's coach Pope and his coaching staff, which they're fantastic. So I'm sure he's preaching that every day and.
Speaker 2: It is tough.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, these are young We're not kids, I guess, but young and impressionable and all that.
Speaker 2: And now, what I think helps us with this team is the maturity.
Speaker 1: And these young men have played a lot of games, most of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that helps.
Speaker 1: And so you're going to have ups and downs, but I would be surprised if they don't take care of business on Wednesday and then look forward to the big game on Saturday.
Speaker 4: The big game on Saturday. I know we're going to get into.
Speaker 3: We got into the Louis game a little bit, but I do want to just get quickly your thoughts before we let you go. Jim on the SEC and how you've really seen this grow, not only as a football conference but basketball conference. We talked so much about SEC football, but I mean Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee still undefeated in college basketball this year.
Speaker 4: How has this conference grown? And what do you think you can do?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that they could have twelve teams in the NCAA Tournament this year.
Speaker 1: And probably yeah, a lot of teams, No doubt about it, and it has grown over time. I think it's the coaches. We continue and we've had great coaches. Other schools have stepped it up. The amount of money football makes. I think other schools have stepped it up on the coaching facilities. Think all that it's the SEC. But I have made the comment just in the last few weeks in SEC football, especially when we've hadded these other teams. Now we're eating ourselves, right, I mean it's just a battle. And then I think Alabama should have made the plays. But then so we beat each other up. That's probably what's gonna happen in SEC basketball. So back to my point a few minutes ago, great that we build our resume already, and I think they should take care of business before we get it in the SEC. So it's because it's gonna be brutal. Teams are gonna you go on the road.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be tough at home, but it's gonna be brutal to get some of these wins on the road.
Speaker 2: So they better be ready.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny you say eat each other the transitive property. It's like we talk about it in SEC football. Well, Vanderbilt beat Alabama, but Alabama beat Georgia, and you can play that game all day. And I know that when we play this SEC basketball schedule, it's gonna it's gonna be something along those lines of Well, Kentucky beat Tennessee, but Tennessee beat Alabama and Alabama beat Auburn. But how does a schedule like that, a conference schedule, prepare you for postseason play?
Speaker 1: Well, it really does. Again, playing on the road is just brutal in any conference, in almost any sport, so they're gonna have tough games.
Speaker 2: So yes, it gets the fight in.
Speaker 1: It gets the intensity and how the level has to get up there and the defense will be better, and the road wins you get.
Speaker 2: Those are the ones you really like. Home games.
Speaker 1: I always like to say we're supposed to win at home, But on the road, that's the real challenge. And that's when you see how good maybe you can get in tough situations.
Speaker 4: Well, I love it.
Speaker 3: The SEC schedule will be here before we know it. We got Florida coming up soon, but first Colgate this Wednesday, and then of course the Battle of the Bluegrass this Saturday in Reparina.
Speaker 4: Jim will be there. I will be there.
Speaker 3: Jim Master, thank you so much for taking your time to come on the Behind Kentucky Basketball Podcast today.
Speaker 2: Well I love it and go Cats.
Speaker 4: Go Cats.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect way to end it. This is the Behind the Kentucky Basketball Podcast presented by UK Federal Credit Union. Hellen and Hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello,