Speaker 1: This is Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast More What You Hear weekday afternoons on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Coincidentally, over the weekend they were rerunning I think it was on HBO Leaving Las Vegas, one of her pinnacle films. But you also know Elizabeth Shoe from The Karate Kid Adventures in Babysitting, Cocktail, Back to the Future, and my favorite going all the way Back to Uh Call to Glory. She's in a new feature that is out and now called The Good Half. Did I did I impress you with my fandom?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You did. That was my first television show, my first part.
Speaker 2: My Yeah, well, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: If it was that that you actually watched it when it was out on the television set.
Speaker 2: I was the one Elizabeth it was. It was you know, at that time people were getting into that nostalgia back to the sixties kind of thing. Musically, everybody was listening to Ole's and and HARKing back to that Kennedy era. That the movie that the show dealt with.
Speaker 3: So so watch that. I love that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, show, Well, I wondered if that was that was first of the Burger King commercial.
Speaker 3: Well, the Burger King commercials. But you know that, uh, that was my first actual part.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We're going to talk about your new feature and your new part here in just a minute, but I did want to say Leaving Las Vegas is one of my favorites of yours because just watching it back over this weekend, you did you did a good job showing the pain in your character's face as this person she cares about spirals into alcoholism.
Speaker 3: MM. Yeah, what a what a great opportunity that was. I mean, it's just such an amazing part, and I feel so grateful that I got one. I feel like that was the the one, you know, the one that was just so challenging and also was received so well and was an amazing experience. It's very rare that it all comes together that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I also wonder did you deal with any alcoholism like that in your life to draw upon.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not. But you know, I have dealt with loss, so I feel like I kind of channelled what that's like to lose somebody, and sort of even though he was alive and in front of me, I was losing him slowly but surely, So that's I could understand what that was like, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now you're in a new film called The Good Half. It's in theaters now, and you play I guess it's come full circle. You play a mom.
Speaker 3: I play a mom. Yeah, I play a mom who is no longer with us, who is who.
Speaker 4: Is deceased but is very much alive in flashbacks. It's really cool because the whole movie is about my death, but also obviously it's about how my really interesting family has to deal with my death and how they grieve and how they remember me. And so, yeah, egastistically or its fun to be the center of the movie.
Speaker 2: Well, and you got some great co stars with you. Nick Jonas, Britney Snow, David Arkat, Alexander ship Walls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing. Yeah, there's just an extraordinary cast. I was just honored to be a part of it, and really like kind of a small part of it, to be honest, in terms of the amount of time I got to be on set working with them, So I really cherished all the scenes that I had. Nick Jonas is incredible in the movie, and Britney Snow is just heartbreaking, David Arquet's hilarious, and MAT's hilarious. It's really it's a very very special movie.
Speaker 2: Is it more comedy or is it more dramedy or I think.
Speaker 3: It's very emotional. But I also think I think it's very funny. I was surprised how much I laughed. I probably laughed more than I cried, to be honest. And I think that's what makes the movie special. You know, it's so real. All these people are running away from grief. You know, they're dealing with all the logistics of you know, the funeral home and the things they have to get accomplished, and they're all angry and resentful, and some are guilty, and you know, it just it's very just very raw and very very real.
Speaker 2: The good half is the film. It's in theaters now. Elizabeth Shoe is with us. Elizabeth, you're touching on something because I had to deal with this recently. And yeah, that whole funeral home thing and dealing with all of the details. I mean, it's it really is staggering and overwhelming to any family.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and the logistics are almost like a place to hide, you know. I think that's what's so funny about it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I love in the trailer of that last scene where they're they're looking for caskets, and that lady's inside of the casket, and the guys trying to sell it to are like, well, this is going to be your forever home. So it's so terrifying, it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the good half. It's in theaters now. Elizabeth Elizabeth Shoe is with us. She stars as the mom, along with Nick Jonas and many other great stars too. Uh did you draw in any personal experience for your acting job here as a mother?
Speaker 3: Well, I am a mother, so that helps. I have three kids. It's probably the centerpiece of my life and the great joy of my life. So that part I really understood well. And yeah, of course I've gone through loss. I don't think there's anyone out there who hasn't, So I understood that side of it. But but my character is very she's very much alive, which I also really enjoyed playing. She's very immature, and I don't think she dealt with her impending death very well, and so that didn't allow her children to deal with it the way they could have. You know, she did. She was in denial. She didn't want to she didn't want to face what was going on. And I think that happens to a lot of families, and you can.
Speaker 2: See it in The Good Half in theaters now. Elizabeth Shoe is with us, also continuing to play on several on the Netflix Dramae on the Verge. We'll look forward to seeing you on that and many other projects to come.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you. I hope you'll go see this movie. It's really really good.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and iHeartMedia Presentation