Speaker 1: What if the answers you're searching for are already within you, here at richer within. We believe they are, and we're here to help you discover them. I'm Catherine, joined by Dynamo Doctor Pat. Together we blend science and spirituality to guide you in reconnecting with your inner wisdom and unique magnificence. Tune in for inspiring stories and practical strategies to boost clarity, embrace your worth, and spark meaningful change. Ready to unlock your inner wealth, start your transformation?
Speaker 2: Now, Hey, everybody, welcome. This is a very very special episode. It is an anniversary episode, it's a birthday episode. The courage to be on script live, unscripted. It's such a powerful topic. We're going to explore a number of things, but we're going to do it through the lens of Catherine's experiences, her day to day's spiritual practice. Is what life hands you today? You're going to hear in this anniversary show and birthday show, Happy Birthday. What is this about? What are the deepest lessons and what is it we all can cultivate in our lives. What a great episode, Catherine, Thank you so much for picking this. Thank you doctor Pat. And thank you all of our stellar listeners who are with us now and in the future. This is really about the journey that I experienced in doing this live show, which then becomes podcasts for the first time of my entire life. And the greatest learning for me over this year, which applies both personally and professionally because they're the same, right, is how to trust myself, to live and to speak from my heart. So I'll tell you what happened in the course of this show. I found myself spending twenty to forty hours putting together each monthly show. I found myself caught in writing a script, like a full script. Dr pat Knows's pages and pages, because it's what I knew how to do.
Speaker 1: And I'm not sorry for any of it. And I think We've had some fabulous, fantastic shows and I'm really grateful for all of them. And what started off as joy and enthusiasm started to feel like work. And I was reflecting on this, Doctor Pat about how much my public life had been shaped by scripts. So I was trained in classical piano performance and my dad was my first primary teacher. I'll just say, you did not really want to make mistakes with my dad. So I began to fear making mistakes. And when I think about music, we think about musical scores. Note to note to note right, follow the notes. And also I played in lots of bands. I was in a renaissance band for twenty years with thirteen other people. Note to note to note to note, you have to follow the notes. And then in my professional management career, I went into every meeting with an agenda formal meetings, agenda with desired outcomes and timeframes. I did presentations that were prepared power points over powerpoints to people, I'm sure, and it was all very successful. However, when I felt it start to bleed into this richer within show, I started to feel a pull towards spontaneity over over preparation. I wanted to find the middle ground between being super prepared and scripted and being spontaneous. And so there's a really beautiful I'm discovering vulnerability and that spontaneity that opens up more authenticity. And so that is both for my life here with the show and my personal life, to find more of that balance between the two and to really just trust myself to live and speak from my heart, from my wisdom from my knowing what I know and just trust it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I love the way you gave the outline because there are some things in life, you know, structure music, I played the viola and super structure because hello, you're playing all the in between notes. You cannot mess that up because you like, if you're at a whack with just an note, everybody knows it. But that structure. I play a sport, you speak, you sing, you do all these things, they require structure. But sometimes we can use structure with lack of creativity, and that doesn't have to be so.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, absolutely, I mean structure. Structure is not a problem like you say it can be. It's really helpful to have a music script, to have an agenda, to have an outline for a presentation. And when it when we look at is this keeping me from being authentic? That's where we're trying to figure out if it's if it's holding us back, if it's holding me from being graceful, from experiencing joy, from feeling really connected within myself, then that's really when the structure starts to get in the way of that authenticity. And you know, I started looking at how much my life was scripted. How much our lives can be scripted because we have societal expectations placed on us. We have family all you know, I know they're well intentioned in thinking what we should be doing or how we should be. We have friends well intentioned sometimes as well, thinking what we should be doing and what we should you know, and we shouldn't be shitting on ourselves. It's not about that, It's about determining. Am I playing from an old tape, an old record and old programming? There's also two things I want to highlight I pay a lot of attention to for myself. One is people pleasing and another is perfectionism. And I know that both of those are really masks for seeking external approval. There's a reason they call them approval ratings, right, And some people's cars are really depend on those. Oh do we want to live our lives that way?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So that is where we can look at you know, am I managing my image by the structure? Am I afraid of what I'm doing? And what can I do to strengthen my own inner confidence? And I also my vulnerability to be willing to make a mistake. We don't allow people to make mistakes a whole lot these days, and they're quite natural. Right. So I remember when we're talking about structure and scripts. I had a really fun friend. Her name was pat She's very, very spontaneous and just super fun. And we were at the lake Flathead Lake. I grew up there in the summers and I had a big crush on this guy named Paul. And one day we were at his family caw just having a good time in the afternoon, and we had forgotten our swimming suits. She jumped in the lake. Anyway, she jumped in the lake and did whatever. And I'm on the shore, going, yeah, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I didn't bring a change of clothes. I didn't bring my makeup, I didn't bring a blow dryer, you know, right, And Paul was really attracted to her, and I'm like, well, what's the deal. Well, you know, there's something really compelling about that type of spontaneity that's just like, you know what, I'm going to do this. I'm not prepared for this, but I'm going to do it anyway, and I'm just gonna make sure it's just gonna be fine. Whatever. But I was more in my image management script that I had not unlearned. And so, you know, some years later, I was reflecting on how many moments like that I missed out on in my life, how many lakes I didn't jump into, how many rivers I didn't jump into, how many jacuzzis or saunas or whatever I didn't jump into because I was wanting to still look composed, and you know how I wanted to present myself and not mess that up. Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: And what about other people's fears about what you're doing and the overspill from that? You know what I'm saying. It's like, oh my gosh, she just told me she jumped into the lake. Now you're coming home and they're, you know, maybe your parents looking at you, maybe your cousins, I don't know, and they're saying, she has lost it. Now, I'm afraid if she jumps into a lake, is she going to jump off a cliff? Is she going to jump off a car? Is she going to jump off the empire state? But you understand, and that's an energy to doesn't that hate help shape whether or not somebody is willing to move slightly off script to try.
Speaker 1: Something new, absolutely because they are wanting us to conform to their fears about us and what we're doing. And you know, I'm not saying that this is easy.
Speaker 2: No, it's not easy. I didn't say that it's not easy. It's not easy. It's not easy for me. And I'll tell you why. Sometimes you feel responsible to other people, right, But the reality is, what does it take for us to be responsible to oneself? To learn, you know, what is going to be good for you? Do you understand what I'm saying. If we got to race all of that, may I call it conditioning, yes, and trust the spiritual concept and intuition of the moment. What would that look like? I mean, how did you feel afterwards? You didn't say how you felt after you jumped to the lake? What was that feeling?
Speaker 1: I didn't jump into that lake, However, when I realized how many I missed on, I was scheduled to go on a backpacking trip in the Allawa Mountains, and before we left, I made a commitment to myself, a devotion to myself, that I was going to jump into every single lake we came across. Wow, And I did no kidding, I think, And they were glacial lakes, and you know it was it was so liberating and that became a practice of freedom. And I still practice that. I just jumped into a lake yesterday afternoon, and it's like it's practicing right. And the more we practice, and the more people around us get used to we're not going to do anything crazy because it's not about being irresponsible and it's not about being inconsiderate. It's really becoming conscious. What you're talking about is becoming conscious of what truly serves me and when I'm following a script right, And so it's a constant kind of playing around between the two and living from that place of authenticity with conscious awareness. Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I totally love this topic because you know, there are things you and I do that have to be scripted or structured. Let's call it structured. You know, I play a sport and if I if my forehand is off by one sixteenth or one hundred percent. Yeah, so that takes practice. So let me ask you about the practice of practicing structure and the practicing of unstructured scripted versus unscripted, because if you've never done it before, you do have to get your feet wet and look at you now, your feet's wet now you jumping into lakes, right, m hm hm. But that feeling you have to feel some level of freedom, perhaps that you have not felt before. I'm just guessing, though.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is a visceral experience for me. That's that's embodying it, right when you can talk about it all day long and until we jump into that dance, even though we didn't wear our favorite cowboy boots, which I know you once we're willing to say yes to something that we'd been a little bit shy about once we'd be It'd be little things. It doesn't have to be something big and grand. And the more we practice it and feel that and feel that liberation, feel that joy, feel the rewards of that spontaneity, it's really being intimate with life. Life is constantly inviting us, Hey, come on, look at this beautiful sunset. Rather than you know, staying around with everybody who's on their cell phones. I'm gonna step outside and look at the sunset and maybe invite someone to come with me, right'. It's this. It really engenders a much deeper trust in my own spiritual sense because it doesn't lead me astray ever.
Speaker 2: And I want to say something though for those people listening, this is an act of courage to take this yes, what you know where Catherine is talking about is a yes, and it's a yes to her life.
Speaker 1: It is very courageous. And authenticity is not about self indulgence. It's really about aligning with that life that we are uniquely here to express. And this is the whole thing about the birthday, Right is my birthday. I celebrated the birthday as well as the one your anniversary on this show, and I know that for me, I celebrate my birthday. Everybody's birthday. It's important to me because I know that thirteen point nine billion years of evolution into me, into everyone and our thing here. One thing is to express ourselves, express our unique in a way that no one else can because there's only one of us. So the whole thing is not that it's a it's a flawless performance. It's to become available to the truth of who we really really are. What a delight to do is offer people some questions that that they can carry into the week, perhaps three questions, and one of them is is to look at where am I? Where am I over rehearsing in my life? Maybe another way to put that is is what script am I am? I following that no longer fits? And then what is one small way that I can practice being more authentically myself? Again, you don't have to jump into a way. It can be very small, very well, there's nothing small in the universe. Everything, everything matters. So let's do take a quick break so we'll be right back in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, we're talking about something really important. It's really really important, and you know, this is a show where we get to ask ourselves a question. Do I feel self indulgent when I'm authentic, when I'm in alignment with my self expression? Can I do it without worrying? With Mary Tom Dick and harrything. I don't know why we did the Tom Dick and harrything grow or not. But also now we're going to talk about the idea of rejecting preparation, because that is not what we're talking about. But for those of you out there you want to work with Catherine, please go to our website Katherine Richer dot com. At the end the last couple of minutes, you are going to experience what this means from where Catherine sits as she becomes transparently authentic. But talk about this idea where people are like, well, what does that mean rejecting preparation? I don't prepare? What's that about.
Speaker 1: It's really not about rejecting preparation. It's being in touch with ourselves enough to since when we're over preparing, right, even when it's necessary to prepare, or can I go in with three questions and trust myself? So it's really navigating the balance between the two. It's not a rejection. Believe me. I have spent many, many hours preparing for meetings and concerts and they've gone very, very well. And there is a place where we can live unscripted, where we can say, Wow, I forgot my swimsuit, but I'm going to jump in the lake with my clothes on. I don't care because this is just too good to pass up. Right, And notice when I'm shrinking And that's when I noticed if my physical body is shrinking from something, And oh, how do I stand into this in my truth? How do I express myself in this? Am I keeping myself from something? And you know, we get to do this with a lot of compassion, because it takes a lot of practice to do this. It's probably one of the hardest things that we're born to do here, which is to live ourselves, live our own lives. Yeah, while embracing everyone and not disregarding them.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh my god. So let's talk about some of the three questions that we can reflect on, because look, you know, I just went back to the gym and we get an orientation to So I talked to the orientation person the other day because although I may know how to do something, I may not be doing it right. And when you're doing something physical, it is so important to do it right, just like music, just like anything else. But yet we don't translate that to our everyday life. So what are the three questions I got to be thinking about right now?
Speaker 1: Well, really simply where am I over preparing? Where am I putting more energy into something that's simply not necessary? Because I really know what I'm doing. I know what I know, I know what to say, and I know how to say it, when to say it. I know what to do when I need to do it, and how to do it. So when am I over preparing? And then where am I following a script that no longer fits me? Right? Am I in a relationship that keeps me down? Am I in a people pleasing mode that restricts me from expressing who I am? And small practices how we can practice being authentic in these ways. Somebody starts to order something for me at lunch, I'm like, actually always looking breadth the grilled cheese sandwich, but thank you. It can be a very very simple thing, and the more we practice it, the more we build, like building the muscle, then it becomes more and more natural to us to do while we're also aware of our surroundings. We're not hurting people, we're not running over people, and the beauty is doctor Patt and everyone. When we are living that way, we give others permission to also live authentically. Sometimes people just I sometimes I need a little nudge of somebody doing something like, Wow, you know I can do that. That is brilliant. I'm going to start practicing now too. It's encouraging, it's inviting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, baby steps, baby steps. You know. I started out by talking about anniversary and a birthday, and I want to just get back to that because birthdays are a celebration per some, but they are definitely a unique expression expression of who we are. However you want to celebrate it. Now, I tend to celebrate my sobriety you know, my clean and sober birthday more than my actual what do they call that chronological thing? So that's my big birthday. And it's not that I don't like December as my birth birthday, but how do I know the birthday in July is kind of cool. So you know, today you're helping us understand what it is we can do to be fully expressed. Now I know you're going to close the show with something special. Tell us about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Birthdays, Earth birthday, sobriety days, every day is a day to celebrate being alive. And what I offer at the end, I like to call them a spiritual mind spot treatment. And the funny thing about this is there are five steps to it. Everything else is spontaneous. It definitely comes from the heart. It comes from that inner wisdom, the richer within. And I offer it to everyone now as a beautiful little closing affirmation. So thank you for being with us, and thank you for giving the gift of this to yourself. And I invite you to now simply relax if you're in a place to that feels safe. To let your eyes close and just drop everything, the pencil, the phone, the whatever, just to be fully fully present, like water off a ducts back, and to simply breathe into this gift of now, this gift of now where we are present to that which is all that there is, to that very power that moves the planets around in perfect order, that intelligence and wisdom, that beautiful presence, that is energy, it's the life force. It's indestructible, and it is everything that there is. And we see this expressed in everything, everywhere, all the time, All that we can see and all that we cannot see, all that is unseen, it is all from the same source and all expressions of that. I know this is the truth of who I am, and I know that this is the truth of everyone within the sound of my voice. I know with every fiber of my being, everyone is a beautiful, unique, whole and complete individualization, specializing in them only one time around to experience this life. And so I call forth that willingness to be unscripted in a way that liberates them, in a way that they experience the freedom that is their birthright, the joy that it is at their fingertips every time they say yes to a heart's desire every time they say yes to an inner knowing an inner guidance and inner pulling towards a direction, towards an action, towards a word, a relationship, a new something. Every day being birthed anew in this way, celebrating life and accepting all that is already theirs. It is simply opening to these gifts, to this freedom, and to live authentically and joyfully with every breath they take in this gift we call life. I'm so grateful to know that this is true for all of us, And in that gratitude, I released this word into that cosmic womb of infinite potential, that place an absolute, unconditional love that always says, yes, my beloved, and you are my beloved. It is my love to give unto you that which is your desire, for yours and mine are the same. I let this be, and we allow it to be by saying yes, yes, so it is.
Speaker 2: And so it is. Happy birthday and happy anniversary. Now, what is the best way for people to find out more about richer within? To take a look at what you're doing, to work with you, to hire you all of the above, How do they go about that full expression.
Speaker 1: All of the above is a very full expression on my website Katherine Richer dot com and also on Instagram. I also have a YouTube channel, richer Within, and would love, love, love the opportunity to work with everybody, and so grateful for your presence here and for being lights in the world.
Speaker 2: I love it and I will never look out a lake in the same way us. Thank you, Kat, thank you so much for everything. Thank you all for tuning us in and turning us on. Remember this show will be replayed again later on. And of course if you go to Katherine Richard dot com, what you'll find are richer within dot com. Either way, you'll see this showing up in Catherine's player on our podcast page. All of the above is for all of you, fully expressed. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: I'm Starr. Thank you for investing in yourself by listening to richer Within with me. Catherine and doctor Pat continue this journey with us every third Monday at eleven am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio. Feeling inspired, visit richerwithin dot com to explore one on one sessions, speaking engagements and support of services with me. Together, Let's co create a world that uplifts everyone through deeper living and conscious presence until next time, and always align with your inner wealth of wisdom. Wow.