Speaker 1: Saint Helen's have lost yet another match, wigging their neighbors have a talented batch leads set the pace. Huddersfield win again. Who left Ce's coach change looks like it was in vain. Okr are going through their usual gears, Wakier having one of their best ever years. Welcome to the thirty first episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league.
Speaker 2: My name is Lee.
Speaker 1: Addison and my name is John Davidson. I'm a coach in Australia, John a journal in the UK. We are on the Ashes Rugby League Rugby League Coach platforms as well, and we're on the Rugby League Coach YouTube too if you want to look at us.
Speaker 2: And thanks to.
Speaker 1: Rugby League dot com who are taking us and using our episodes each week. I do want to say about the Ashes Rugby League podcast platform. You've got to the end of August to switch, so switch please to Super League three sixty podcast or Rugby Coach Podcast or both please by the end of August, just so we can free up some space for things that we'll be doing a bit later in the year. John, have you been out and about at games this weekend.
Speaker 3: I haven't been at a game, but I have consumed many on the television.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when we get to the television segment of this podcast, I'm sure you're gonna have plenty of things to say. On Thursday, we had Huddersfield win again against Hull LEFC. Your first thoughts before I go through the try scorers and whatnot, John, about that that outcome if nothing else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there was a few sort of staying out things I think from that game. Obviously, Haddersfield back to back wins is a big result for them when you consider how diet the season has been. But I think jim And is starting to make some in rides there and getting a win is just more of the same. One thing that really struck me in that game watching it was like one of the Haddersfield tries, just a lack of urgency from Halle of ce, like they didn't really wanted to chase, didn't really want to put their bodies on the line. Yeah, there's just big, big problems at that club and this season. I mean they're in real danger now finishing last, which you know, considering themselves on Haddersfield to spend the full cap. That's that's pretty damning, and that there's three teams that have come up from the championship. So yeah, you can't run out of things to say about HOLLFC because it's just an absolute shit shot.
Speaker 1: We'll talk a bit more about them and Busfield Giants after we've gone through the scorers of the game. Wadersfield Giants twenty two, HALLFC sixteen Patolo Wrench, Flannagan and Jagger scored. He showed moves like Jagger and Flannagan kicked three goals. Halef C sixteen came from Bachelor too from Lytton and too from Hardacre. Four wins for Huddersfield this year one above them now is all left c. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for for Huddersfield that they've finally got some victories on the board because contrary to many people's belief, because they seem to have featured every week on this podcast for various reasons that aren't good, it's because we actually want them to succeed, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't.
Speaker 3: We don't revelent seeing any club struggle, but you certain clubs perhaps handle it better than others and don't make certain statements about being unleashed and everything else, or they continue to make the same mistakes. But yeah, Huddersfield, you know, a spirited wind for them and the match needing and I think, look, if they didn't get the wooden spoon this year, considering the year, if they managed to kind of on a bit of a run now, that would be you know, big boost for them and for the for the squad.
Speaker 2: And for wat Jim, you know, confidence for Jim, he's doing it. HULLFC.
Speaker 1: They they shouldn't be anywhere near this position. I mean, we're going to go talk about the running soon, so we'll be able to analyze whether we're sinkle FC are in danger of finishing in the bottom position.
Speaker 2: Again. You said there's not much more to say. I think.
Speaker 1: There's there's a lot more to analyze though, in terms of John Cartwright ended up not being there for the rest of this year, the way that was handled and there's enough. There's there was enough Hull FC people online who were willing to support how that was done and explained quite well how it had gone about. But part of me thinks, sorry, a big chunk of me thinks that it was handled poorly, particularly with hindsight now when you see how they've u.
Speaker 2: Fallen through a floor.
Speaker 1: It's pretty clear to me that John cart Right wasn't the problem. It's pretty clear to me that Tony Smith wasn't the problem. Tony Smith, who had done well at Leeds, who'd done well at Warrington, who'd done well at whole KR, who'd even managed to do good things at Huddersfield right at the start so that he could get all these other Super League jobs, had a problem at or Left Sea. So there's deeper issues there isn't there that that that speak to the way all left s are traveling, not just right now in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no doubt that they handled the John Cartwright situation very very poorly. Whether he was their coach next year or not, they should have handled that in a way that he.
Speaker 2: Saw out is he They kept the squad intact.
Speaker 3: That's sort of you know, driven a bit of a you could say, a bit of a went through the squad, particularly the likes of you know, Aiden sees Are, he's Sam Jed obviously he's gone after But they handled that Paulie.
Speaker 2: They didn't really explain it to their fans.
Speaker 3: Or to the wider rugby league community, and they've just made some some poor recruitment decisions as well.
Speaker 2: So it's just a bit of a cycle that repeats itself.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you've got people running a club who've got no experience running clubs, I mean, and no transparency, no accountability, there's you know, it's a recipe for disaster. And that's that's what we're that's what we're seeing dished up at HALFC. Yeah, you know, I think Steve McMahon is a good coach and I think he you know, is a good appointment, and hopefully he can turn that around. But as you said, the issues definitely run deeper than just the head coach.
Speaker 1: I felt so sorry for Early Bird, who's a regular contributor to this podcast and a listener, and he tweeted, I don't know if he tagged you in he basically said he can't bear to listen towards this week and for once, it's actually nothing to do with you and I John, it's because of his whole and he's so devastated by by what he's witnessing his club going through right now. And I tell you what must be making it a hell of a lot worse. It's that they're the neighbors. Hulkingston Rovers are having a bad season by their recent standards, if you like. And when I say recent, I mean compared to last year. However, Hulls he could only dream of having this kind of this kind of season. Uk I got back on the winning train this week. They beat Bradford Bulls forty to sixteen. Burgers scored two, clocking up his two hundred career tries in the process. Broadbent may Lytton Davis Minchella scored the rest of the tries. The goals were from Hampshire, who kicked three and Martin that kicked three, who kicked three Bradford Bulls. Sixteen came from Amoritage win Ackers and two goals from Hooley. One thing that strikes me, John is how many times there's more than one goalkicker when there's a lot of points scored in the Super League after I don't know if it happens as much in the NRL. I don't think anybody goes up to Nathan Clear who goes step aside somehow, But but it just seems to be a common thing. That's just a little diversion there from what we're here to talk about, which is that Joe Burgess reached two hundred tries and whole k are pretty easily i think dispatched of Bradford Bulls.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did.
Speaker 3: I mean I think you know that was the flashes of the whole hour of old. You know, they gifted Bradford to try to sort of level it up early and then you know, basically stepped up a gear and I left Bradford in their dust. I think the highlights for me from that game was Tara May scored a try where he but he'd beat I think about thirteen players.
Speaker 2: I was like he had spiders on him, that one could touch him.
Speaker 3: And then soon after Connor Winns scored a similar one to try. I think he went about ninety five meters and even Fender off right, I'm sure at the end. So that was a pretty special effort. But yeah, Bradford well beaten, and for KR who were in that top six battle at a very important win and they've got a big showdown coming up with with Warrington.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Actually it might be the week after the midweek after.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a couple of results now, a couple of wins in arewn now for.
Speaker 1: KR and in a irony the journalist on the BBC who completed the story and where I read the triscorers from their the BBC website it's called Phil cart Right. So cart rights are everywhere in whole or were at least anyway.
Speaker 2: To lose.
Speaker 1: Went to Leeds and got absolutely how much leads forty six to lose zero zilch, nada. Two tries from Connor, one to a ledski Holroyd McDonald, Newman, Croft and Lum with the other try scorers, and Connor kicked seven goals and nobody took him off the job. Very easy to read to lose his try scorers today because yes they didn't score anything. Apparently their side was quite depleted though.
Speaker 2: Job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was an Academy debut on in the halves and you know, I'm not sure if whether it was injuries or just rotation, but you know, leads at home on a Friday night at top of the table was always going to be a tough ass. And I think it was aiding nil to leads at half time and they you know, lifted you could say in poland even more try a second half. It was pretty much one way traffic all game. Yeah, you know, typical kind of even with leads with you know, Civo out and a few other injuries.
Speaker 2: They've got some pretty good depth that they've built there.
Speaker 3: So very we're going to talk about the top six more, particularly the league leaders chase and so a very important win for Leeds to stay two points ahead of the chasing pack.
Speaker 1: Leads ten matches at home, leads ten wins at home this year Lee eight Wigan twenty. I saw some of this game tries to senior, well, I try to senior from Lee and Cook kick two goals. Wiggans twenty came from field French Eckersley, Hodgkinson. Smith kicked two goals. Ten wins in a row and all competitions for Wigan. It has been described as playoff intensity. I don't know how you can call it playoff intensity when Lee just basically managed to give Wigan so many opportunities to win the game. Playoff intensity is about staying with your opposition for most of it, at least so well. I think I think they were trying to. I think in terms of intensity.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: There were some really big hits and some you know, it was quite fast game. I thought this was a really entertaining game. Actually, I did feel a little bit for Lee because I think they played quite well in patches, but they'd make an error and Wigan would just pick up the ball immediately counterattack.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was like one of those old football games where you know, someone parks the bus and then long ball and you get ahead of or a second you know, a second ball and someone scores, like hit them on the brake that that joy field try, you know, the quick tap that was from the lead perspective.
Speaker 2: That was a nightmare. But yeah, great performance from Wigan.
Speaker 3: I think Lee would put everything into it and then they'd forced a couple of passes and made a couple of errors and Wigan just counter punch them and stole stole the victory like a thief in the night. So yeah, a big result for them over their local rivals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what I saw Lee, Lee were just doing silly things. I saw off in goalie try and do it a tip on and honestly, sometimes all you need to do in Super League is hold the ball and just turn the ball over. At the other end of the field. Lee struggled to do that, and I think people need to look at how Wigan do this, because they literally are very good at just turning the ball over at the other end of the field, and you could almost argue they were waited for Lee to make those errors and then they had they had the potency to pounce. So it's it's not rocket science. Lee and Adrian Lamb and I think that's just where you need to get your team too, and tell tell players to be a bit more patient with the football. Castleford eighteen Warrington forty eight. I saw a bit of this game too. Castleford's eighteen came from Artie Sharp laolow to to Gangaia and Weaver kicked three. Go on, go on, help me Lulu to guy Tonga Guy, Yes, Tongua guy.
Speaker 2: Because there's apostrophe in there, so it's just just calling PLT. I think that's PLT Weave three.
Speaker 1: Warrington's forty eight holroyd Ashton got to King Sipy, Harrison, Hayes and Curry Irwin kick take gold and I can't help but think that Castleford must I don't know how much hair their coach has got left because for a while there it was again and Castleford just laid down.
Speaker 3: There was sixteen six ahead cast yes you know, yeah schizophrenic Castleford again. Times I gifted Warrington at least two tries with Theirs at the back, but let' scored some nice tries and then some really soft defense again. You know, there was a dumb play when someone played the ball from Cats and there was no dammy half and then Alex Paul again simbind Yeah, soft trial that I considered for ben carry right at the end, just yeah, their own worst enemy again. You just with cash you never know what you're going to get. Low and Hayesport, I thought for Warrington was very very good. Well, dere's a victory for Warrington, but just some really stupid play from the Tigers.
Speaker 1: When I read out this next result and scorers focus on praising the winners first and then I've got plenty for the for the vanquished in this game. York thirty four, Saint Helen's thirty two. York's thirty four came from Benison too. From field Bamford Vaughn. I can't believe the former England cricket captain is performing now for York and Williams scored another and Benison. I hope this isn't less better Benson or wrong there Benison. That was Bettinson kick five goals. St Helen's thirty two came from Davis right Wellsby got to Robertson. Douglas Hastings kicked four goals. Like I said, let's focus on York winning great results for them at home. They're a hard team to beat at home. That's the first win over Saint Helens in eighty years.
Speaker 3: I was going to bring that I'm stet up for you, but you're already over. I mean, yeah, first first time I've been to announced its nineteen forty six. I mean, obviously they're not played a lot, I think each other, and that at least for quite a few decades, because I haven't been in Super League and not the first Division. But as a as a massive result, isn't it first victory over the years?
Speaker 1: Okay, Saint Helen's Look.
Speaker 2: Let's let's just I'll just say overall, that is a thrilling game.
Speaker 3: Went down to the last minute with a kick from the sideline to tie up, and there was some fantastic rugby leagues and some great tries in this game.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Saint Helen's another loss.
Speaker 1: There's a reason Saint Helen's haven't lost to York for eighty years. I think it shouldn't really be happening. If Saint Helen's are performing like they should, let's give them something to look forward to. There's some new coach news potentially well.
Speaker 3: I heard, yeah, I broake the story during last week that Todd Lowry is definitely someone they are looking at. There's been a lot of talk about Saint Helens after they sat poor Rollie that they're going to look in Australia. Ben Holby's pretty much ruled himself out and it is interesting obviously with the Lorrie Daily News stepping energy so well as coach because you think that would likely to be Making or Boyd Corner. So they potential were potential candidates as well for Els. But yeah, Todd Lowry's on the coaching staff at Melbourne under Craig Bellamy minus n. He's pretty highly regarded, had a pretty handy career back you know, I think twos twousand and three till till maybe about twenty sixteen as.
Speaker 1: A Newcastle paramatterials Melbourne Storm Warriors Warrior. Yeah, so yeah, I've heard he's quite highly regarded. So a bit of a surprise name when when I first heard that. But he's in the mix. But yeah, Officer Allen's sorry, yeah again. I mean I always critique the coaching appointments. In March twenty twenty, Lowry was named as the coach for the Skulne Thoroughbred. So that's not far from Newcastle, is it? Scone? So that's from Scone as well. Yeah, yeah, that'll be in groups something or other in the in.
Speaker 2: The Country Rugby League.
Speaker 1: And then in November twenty two he returned to the Storm as the development coach for the Storm's feeder side. Now my understanding of development coaches is that they sort of hang on the periphery of teams.
Speaker 2: So I one of the worst things Saint Helen's can do.
Speaker 1: I don't know enough about Todd Lowry's job description at Melbourne, okay, so, but one of the worst things Saint Helen's can do is a pointer coach just because he's from Australia and says the right things. So they need to look at background, they need to look at actual genuine qualities of what a coach requires who comes into Saint Helens will almost have to rebuild the club and rebuild the club in a new image with a relatively new CEO. And based on the information we've got, it's not like with the It's not like Todd Lowry is being described as the head coach of Melbourne's feed aside. I would imagine he's somebody who's on the periphery of that, helping with some skills, et cetera.
Speaker 2: There, I'll just cut in there.
Speaker 3: So my understanding is that he works with the first team in terms of mentoring players, and he is part of Prey Blingy staff, so he's very involved with the with the first cred tape first grade team and has is quite highly regarded by the.
Speaker 1: I get that, But again the job description. If we think about what Saint Helen's need right now, they need somebody who can change a culture it seems like a broken dressing room. They need somebody who can manage upwards with a new CEO and a chairman that have chopped through coaches in the last couple of years. They need somebody who who can recruit and has some recruiting Paul. They need somebody who can probably oversee some youth development initiatives as well, but they also need to have a rough idea of what they're going to get tactically. Now this coach the only team has been head coach obviously gone Thoroughbreds.
Speaker 3: Also the Newcastle Knights under twenties I think in twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah around then.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that wasn't listed. So let's forget. Let's not forget the history of Saint Helen's coaches. Who are the two best recent coaches they've had in the last ten years.
Speaker 3: I think, just to jump back, I think Tod There coached West Newcastle and the Newcastle comp as well, so he has got a bit of shall we say head coaching experience. But yeah, you're talking about Justin Hallbrok and Christian wolf Christian Wolfe sorry, and I think the mold for their ice that is an n RL assistant coach who's up and coming, who's kind of viewed to be as one of the next NRL head coaches.
Speaker 2: He's not even an n r L assistant John Well.
Speaker 3: I think I think he is on the I think it fills an assistant role, a fourth in charge by fifth in charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's his right hand man, is he? That's my point and.
Speaker 3: It's not but I think I think my point is I think that's what the mold that they're looking for. But much like ole k Are, remember wholek Are, I think Kalas was their fourth choice. You know, Ben Gardner knocked them back. I think Matt King knocked them back and Nathan Chalos wasn't even someone who was kind of talked.
Speaker 1: About why are these clubs getting knocked back? Hault Kingston Rovers and Alan, you know are two big clubs in the you know Wiley, you know cash not just cash.
Speaker 3: I think I think you look at the NRLs bringing two new clubs. So you know, Anthony Sewell, Luke Bird have gone to PNG with Willie Peters, melmon Inger's got Ben Gardner. It isn't necessarily you know, it's still a pathway. But yeah, there is more money in the RL for coaches and there's more profile and you know there's always jobs coming up in Australia, isn't it. You look obviously mainly sacked their coach, the Sadai East and St.
Speaker 2: Georgia, the Warriors sacked their coach.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think if there's any other coaches who've been sacked, but you know there's always there's always movement around, So yeah, I think Super League's probably not getting necessarily the cream of the young or up and coming coaches in Australia that it has more recently.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm sure money is one of the factors.
Speaker 1: Catland's twelve Wakefield thirty two. Catland's twelve from Sexton lug Ware and two goals from must bar Ol Biche. Wakefield thirty two came from Truman, two from Scott Hamlin U La Vangna got to on Simpfield kick four Doggie Catalans and Wakey is still second in the table, which I'm starting to hear it could be one of the best ever returns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean at Wakefield have not got a good record over in France that in Perpignon, so a great result for them and this game was I think it was six The score was sixteen to two with fifty six minutes left, so Wakefield just piled on the point. I mean Catlands again just quite soft and defensively in a lot of elements. I think there was one try that the Camp's scored from abat seven in rees out you're watching that Lewis Dodge just doesn't advance. You just sort of stand for the line, waits with him in terrible attempt to contact. So yeah, I think I think Catlands had a bit of a dig early on, well probably for three quarters of the match, and then just basically imploded again. But yeah, all the credit goes to Wakefield im and they're having a fantastic season and they've got the leads that Iron next up this Friday. I'm very much looking forward to that one. First to be second local Derby. I think it's going to be a sellout at the diy Kitchen Stadium or Bellevue as.
Speaker 2: I'd like to call it.
Speaker 1: Hopefully in the kitchen they can cook up something special. Now, John, I believe you've prepared something about the run in. We'll go through the table. Have you just looked at the top six or if you've done the Wooden Spoon race as well?
Speaker 3: I've done the well, I've done the top six, I've done the top seven teams.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you quickly look at the Wooden Spoon scenario as well while I read out the table?
Speaker 2: Please? Is that okay?
Speaker 1: Because I've got I think, yeah, so no, you just do that and I'll read out the table. Yep, so Lea Rhino's the top of the table. They've played twenty one, they've got thirty four points. Wakefield are second. And that's why John is so interested in the game and I am too, to be fair, and that's why so many people want to go to the DIY Kitchen Stadium to see if Wakefield, who've also played twenty one games, can get level with Leads in the top position by beating them next week. And they will only stay second because their points difference is quite significantly, well, it's almost less half less of what half of what Leeds have. Wigan Warriors are in third. They've played twenty one they're on thirty two points with Wakefield, so they're keeping the pressure on Wakefield. Warrington drop off because they're in fourth, but they've only played twenty remember and they're on twenty eight points, so there's a four point gap between them and Wigan, and if they win their game in hand, they will go within two points, but they'd play Hokyton Rovers who were in fifth just below them, who've only played twenty games and they're on twenty six so when that game is played sometime in twenty ninety nine, Warrington could go two points behind Wigan and Hooking or Hunkingston Rovers could go level with Warrington and they would overtake Warrington if that happens, because they've got a better forum against Lee. Leopards are in six. They've played the full compliment and are on twenty six as well, so they're another team breeding down the neck of Warrington. Saint Helens are outside the playoff spot still, their twenty one games has seen them get twenty four points. Catalans are in eighth and they've got eighteen points from the full complement of games to lose. Their French neighbors are in ninth and are four points below them, having played the full compliment like everyone else has. Now they've got fourteen points. York Knights on fourteen, Castleford on fourteen, so tightly contesting ninth, tenth and eleventh at the moment. Bradford Bulls in twelfth with twelve points, all left c in thirteenth with ten and because of Huldersfield's back to back wins, they are still at the bottom of the ladder, but they're only two points behind Hull FC, although it must be said their points difference is going to cause them some issues. So John have never taken that long to read out a ladder, so hopefully you've got some some some research done in that time. You tell me what you want to start about talking about whether you want to do the top bottom first?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll start. We'll start at the top. Obviously, as you mentioned, leads top there by two points and then it's Wakefield and Wigan both on is that thirty how many.
Speaker 2: Points of thirty two? Thirty two? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I mean I think key Elman here is what Leeds point difference over both We're going to Wakefield is two hundred and still buy Yeah, so I mean yeah, a lot of it I think is going to boil, well, not all of it, but a lot of it is going to build them. This result of their next game this Friday night actually.
Speaker 1: Left for all teams twenty one how many How many games did he play at the end it's.
Speaker 3: Twenty seven, so there's six games for most teams. But obviously this is also key. You've got Warrington and who kW with seven games, so they've obviously got that game against but well Leeds have got Wakefield at home, Lee, sorry, Wakefield away, Lee at home, York away, Saint Helen's away, Wigan at home, which is also I think a massive, massive game our second last game of regular season, and then Hull of C at home. So look, I think Wakefield, Lee and Wigan and they're all very tough games and can go either way. I think you know they're going to beat Saint Helens away. I think they're going to be a home. I think they probably beat York away as well.
Speaker 1: One of the dangers for Leeds, John is that they have lost a couple of games this year to teams where we've gone, how the hell did that happen? I e two weeks ago when we sat on here and said there's no chance Castle beat them. So they have got that in them and I think one of the reasons is that their defense isn't unpenetrable and not know, it's very hard to make an unpenetrable and unpenetrable I'll put unpenetrated defense in in rugby league full stop because of the rules et cetera. But they do have some achilles heels there that some teams are found. So whereas we'll see of those six games is two that we think are in the balance. It's not beyond the realms that a third one could be in the balance somewhere too.
Speaker 3: I think I think there's three games there, Wakefield, Lee and Wigan. Games are all very tough games, but I think in a Fortnite they've got Wakefield and the league if they win both of those games, and they do have that that second last one against Wigan which could be a title illegal leader Shield decided. But I think they win those the next Fortnite back to back, they'll be breathing a lot easier. They've got a couple of injuries by it, and they've still got you know, they've been very lucky with injuries all this year, and they've got a few you know, likes of Cevo out but.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, they are still a very good shout too.
Speaker 1: And the other thing to John, the the playoff system. You get a massive advantage if your top two, don't you especially the same.
Speaker 3: You want to finish top two, So Wigan I think at third at the moment, the same with Wakefield, like you know, you want you want to finished top to get another trophy, and there's a bit of I think it might be one hundred grand or there's a bit of money involved, but it is really one or two.
Speaker 2: Is it's what you want now.
Speaker 1: It's a bit more significant this year because everybody's played each other home and away. The only variable is that there was that magic round. But ultimately, if you finish top this year, you can actually crow and say, look, we've played everybody, it's fair and we've finished top of the tree. We are literally the best team over the course of the year. Let's let's let's go in with confidence to the finals. So I do think the league leaders shield aside from the one hundred grand, aside from the fact that you finished top, I do think it holds a little bit more weight this year, but I wouldn't stress too much about it at the same time, So if if if they need to rest some players, if they need to get through this period, Leeds fans should expect that they might not finish top as well.
Speaker 3: So I think, yeah, I think that'll make that decision closer too, because obviously with Wigans second last game, yeah that's that's a really big game at home.
Speaker 2: But then they've got hol of seat in the last game.
Speaker 3: So you think, you know, if they've signed up before the last round our resting players. But you look at Wakefield's lineup, so I think this is a really tough run home. They've obviously got Leeds at home, they've got some helens at home, and they've got Wigan away, who've beaten them a couple of times this season. They've got York at home, they've got Warrington at home, and they've got Lee away in the last round. So you know, I think in the current form they beat some hellmon's, they beat York, they probably beat Warrington Lee. That's a tough game. But you know, again Warrington, I don't think it will be an easy game. We're going away and yeah, this this Leeds game, so you know what, Wakefield can make history with the best finish in Donkeys years. So it's a really you know, they've won I'm not sure exactly how many games in a road they've won now, but it's seven or eight or they've you know, they've been on a great run for a while. And then we look at Wigan. So they've got to loose at home, which I think, you know, should be two points. They've got Bradford away which should be two points. They've got Wakefield at home, which will be a hard game. They've got KR at home, which looking at form, i'd probably you know we're going to be favorites in that game.
Speaker 2: And they've got Leads.
Speaker 3: Away and they've got Catalans at home, so I think that's an easier potentially run home, but by no means are given either. And then Warrington with the extra game, they've got Braadford at home, York at home, Whole car Away on that Tuesday night, hardest Field at home, half c away, Wakefield, Trinity away and to Loose at home. So look, I think you know we'll go through a whole car Leans and Alan's. But I think the six isn't going to change. I think that maybe the I think the order will change, but I don't think St Helens will will get back into six.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong, But.
Speaker 1: So to summarize that top three, I think each team has two or three pivotal fixtures. If what was on the rest goal we form, they played each other. All we're trying to work out there is what the order of those top three will be. I don't think Warrington, I don't think okay, I don't think Lee will penetrate that so I think I think the top three is secured.
Speaker 3: It's that running of Warrington, Whole Care and Lee. So who plays you know, who plays third and who gets the home which is obviously crucial because you'd want to it's third, or play sixth and fourth or played fifth, but you'd want to finish either a third or forced to get the home tie. So that's right, that was Warrington Whole Car. I've got cast Away Catlans at home, Warrington at home to loose at home, we're going away, how to s Field at home in St Helens away, So you think, okay, are big cast big callans Warranton.
Speaker 2: They've already just played cast not Whole Care. Not for all. I thought you said Warrington them. I thought you said Warrington. Sorry. So they've got Warranton at home, which would be a difficult game. They've got to lose at home.
Speaker 3: You think they'd be We're going away, very tough game, hard to spield at home. I know, hardest field the improving, but you think the Robins get that. And then Saint Helen's away, which I'd be back on this year. I'd be back in Car, but you know, could improve. And then you've got Lee, who've got York at home, Leeds away, Bradford at home, Field how to Spield away, Sat Helen's at home, and Wakefield at home. So fairly there's some difficult games in their Leeds Wakefield yeah, I mean we'll they have been on an amazing run up until last Friday night, but I think, you know, I don't think that'll dent them too much. And then Saint Helen's it's a big game for them this Thursday. They've got all left Ce at home and I think they probably NEEDFC. They've got Wakefield away, which is that's the Harry Roberts and Derby that's going to be spicy. They've got Cast at home, which he'd probably backed them to beat Cast. They got Leeds at home, which wouldn't be backing them the beat Leeds. They've got Lee away, which again I'd probably be leaning towards Lee that game, excuse me. And then you've got a whole k R at home, which is also a tough game. So Saint Helen's what are they going to need to win? Probably four of that six, maybe five, I don't know, it really will depend obviously what leean Okay, I do as well, so.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Harry Robertson Darby. For those who don't know, including myself, what does that mean.
Speaker 3: I'm alluding to the brew hah of a couple of months ago when there was a story that Wakefield had a been rejected for Harry Robertson, and then Wakefield confirmed that, and then Saint Helens that's right, Yeah, got quite shitty and reported them to the RFL. So there had been no contact, and then Darryl Powell said why they so touchy?
Speaker 2: So will be the first time they've played since.
Speaker 3: Then, and obviously Saint Allen's I did a feature on them in the Eye on Saturday's paper. Yeah, it just sort of looked at what's happened on and off the field basically in the last four years and how historically the most successful club and super League is now on the brink of.
Speaker 1: Missing the playoffs for the first time. And you know they're trending downwards. Shane Helens, I mean they've just your lost to York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, they've been trending down. I think, well, you can look at the table. They've been trending down for several years. They've beat Penrith in Penrith in twenty twenty three, which was a great result that season Paul Wellans first year, they were one win from the Grand Final James Roby retired, and then the following year, trying to think we we're twenty twenty four, I think they lost to Warrington by a point or it was a very close game, so there.
Speaker 2: Were two wins from the Grand Final.
Speaker 3: And then last year they were beaten by whole Kr so they were one win from the Grand finals again and obviously Paul Wells was sacked. But the thing is all right, this and the piece. It's not just all about the on field, it's what's gone off the field. And I think a key point is they won four titles in a row between twenty nineteen and twenty twenty two, which was amazing achievement, but they didn't capitalize on that achievement.
Speaker 2: They've never really they're quite an insuller club.
Speaker 3: They're never really in the way that we can have, or Leeds have and even Warrington have without the the ultimate success. They've tried to build their profile and make themselves more relevant nationally. Sinne Allan's have never done that for whatever reason, and I think that's why their crowds have remained stagnant or even dropped off a little bit. And I think this is what people some people don't realize. In the modern sporting world, it's more than just the on the field. It's the match day experience. It's the merch, it's the it's the way you market your club. It's it's being more transparent and can hearts and minds. It is hard some minds to use the Vietnam War American expression it's and that works well for the Yanks. But no, I mean, you can look at Vegas, you can look at you know, Wigan. We're playing in Barcelona, in Vegas and in Paris and they're going to Dublin and St. Helens are not back playing in Vegas twice because it costs too much money. Now is that a lack of ambition? Is it a lack of I don't know, but I think there's a lot of St Allans fans aren't happy with what's been going on at the club. And you know, you look at you can look at Paul Rolie signing, you can look at a lot of the recruitment decisions. You know the fact that all of the best juniors in the area have been snapped up by Wigan and Warrington. Yeah, I think it's a tough period for for Sint Hellens. They're looking to pay some players out now. I know I broke the story the other day with the winger Lewis Murphy. They've given him a three year extension and they're looking to offload him to another club. So I think that's another sign of some decisions that they've made, which they're probably I think.
Speaker 1: I think the contrast just over the billing hill in terms of a pathway for juniors in the Wigan district, but also in terms of a scouting network. I mean there's players who come through the Wigan system who didn't grow up in Wigans. So the difference in the way they're doing things at the moment is like chalk and cheese.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think sirt Ellen's in recent years have done well getting you know, the best kids out of Witness to come and play for them. But I think, you know, they're losing many leads to Pingji, they lost Morganoles to the Dolphins at the end of the last year, the James Roby retirement. I think you know they've they just don't seem to have brought through the next generation as well or as quickly as they could. And you know the Tristan Sailor signing, the Jackson Haysten signing, you know, the players that they're brought in from Salford that hasn't really worked McDonald right shoreks. Yeah, there's there's there's lots of things at that club, and I think, yeah, it is a very insular club the way it's run. I think the point that was made to me and which I closed my piece was there's no windows in the boardroom at Saint Helen's. Now you can read it too that you can read into that in many ways, but I'm told that is a fact, there is no windows. So I think they need to evolve as a club and as a as a sporting institution. So you think they need to get windows at the directors in the windows find out that it's twenty twenty six and you don't run a club N nine eighty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those kind of things. Yeah, maybe the any of the time machine in there too, Yeah, the tartlets that helped. What else have we got? So that was the top six. We can go through the Wooden Spoon.
Speaker 3: So first we've got hr left C's fixtures, so they've got Senate this Thursday, which is quite an important game.
Speaker 2: They go away to Saint Helens and I think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm sure the book is will be putting their money on Saint Helens, and I'll be putting you.
Speaker 1: Put your money on say Ellen's and the Mini. You definitely wouldn't. You definitely wouldn't put it on whole KR. I wouldn't be putting on a half of C. I think they've lost.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how many in a row, or it's something like they've they've won one of their last thirteen or twelve their last Thurday like it's it's a horrendous run and they were pretty poor against Hosfield. Then they've then got cast at home, which you don't know if cassipate their meds before the game, but I'll probably be back cast in that. Then they go away to cat Lands, which haven't been great, but it's an away trip and it's it's never usually an easy place to play in the South of France.
Speaker 2: And if.
Speaker 1: There's an unhappy dressing room for whatever reason, it's probably best not to stick them on an iron bird to the South of France and give them a few days.
Speaker 2: Joe, maybe we'll be pretty fired up.
Speaker 1: Get unless the players all get together on lapis in Catalans and fly over there a bit early, that might help, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then they've got Warrington at home obviously Warranton looking to cement their six spot, so be back in Warrington. And then they go away again to Friends to lose, which to loose beat them did nail in the season, so I then you can right off Olympic. And then they're away to Headingly at Leeds. Yeah, I mean Leeds might need to win that game to cement the lay leader shield, so that's a pretty tough run. And then we look at Haddersfield. They've got Catalans at home this Saturday, which I think feel a big, big chance. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Then they got away to to lose, which you know, not the hardest game, but not an easy game either.
Speaker 1: If they've won three straight and then go to to lose, that could be perfect, yeah, exactly, exactly a lot of confidence going over there. And then they're away at Warrington, which I think is a difficult game. They're at home against Lee, which won't be an easy game obviously, LIAH fighting for their best finals position. They go away to whole KR as well on Friday of September, which that'll be a tough game, and then they're at home in the last game of season against cass which I think is a is a winnable game. So I think the Hottest Field have gotten slightly easier run home, but of course they do have to well, they probably have to get two more wins, don't know, as you mentioned the points difference, so they only have to get one more win and then they have to get two. So no, they only need one more win than they need to, but they need to get two more wins themselves.
Speaker 2: I think, what's the point of difference. I'm just looking at the table.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, they need to get they need to finish ahead of a LEFC one points. So but based on the running, I'd be confident. If I was a Huddersfield person, I'd go, yeah, they're there. Their their club, the inner walls of their club have now been unleashed. They are they are going to be Antenna's up basically, and a season that just felt like it was going through the motions ready to get to twenty twenty seven, all of a sudden could have come back to life six Grand Finals for Huddersfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pressure is is massive because you look at Hole they are a big club, big fan base, and that fan base is very unhappy. Now they go to the Hands and lose and then Haddersfield, you know their tails are up. Well we win against cat Lanes at home and we're tired on points and then that just ramps up the pressure even more on Holle. So this round, this next game I think is huge for both those two clubs.
Speaker 2: Are results.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the hart oft See can go to Saint Helen's and get a win. Then the before hard To still play their four points out and that gives them. That turns the table a little bit. So yeah, it's juicy. It's a juicy game.
Speaker 2: Rugby League tweet of the of the week.
Speaker 1: Rugby League on TV dot Com roll seventy five days to the Rugby League World Cup, so I assume it's seventy two or something now, Still no idea who'll show it here and there? I think Rugby League on TV dot com means the UK. But Andrew Voss looks set to be the league commentator for Holks broadcaster Channel seven in Australia. Let's talk about the World Cup, John and the fact no desiems to know about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bit worrying.
Speaker 3: And we had a question about the World Cup which will come back to or come to our question section a bit.
Speaker 2: It's a bit worrying.
Speaker 3: So we've got basically almost two months to the World Cup kicks off, and are we hearing anything about it? I mean, I know there's the occasional story and the occasional tweet and whatever, and I know that earlier this week there was the I'm not sure did you see the Channel seven ad to with Daniel McPherson the foremost Yes, yes, yeah, And did you see the drama over because they used a lot of sort of footage of soccer Roose fans, which I thought was I mean, I didn't like that personally because I think I think the World Cup we've got enough World Cup history.
Speaker 2: The Rugul League.
Speaker 3: World Cup's been going for almost one hundred years, you know, and we've had fantastic moments, whether it be Clive Sullivan scoring the winning try for GB in was a seventy I think it was seventy seventy two seventy two and it was seventy or seventy two. The first World was nineteen fifty four. Yeah, you know, we've got there's plenty of moments, whether it be you know, Tonga in twenty seventeen, you know, the ninety four, the eighty eight, you know World Cups with GB and.
Speaker 1: Ninety two World Cup final at Wembley eight ten to four I think it was or ten six. Ninety five Centennary World Cup New Zealand n will be Australia in the semi final.
Speaker 3: New Zealand winning in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Two thousands Wales really troubled Australia. Yeah, I mean there's plenty. Yeah, so I didn't really like that using other sports to kind of but apart from that, at least from the UK side, there's hardly been anything and that for me, we don't have a broadcaster yet for this part of the world. It's great the Channel seven is picking up in Australia, though I remember in twenty seventeen they weren't necessarily the greatest broadcaster, but I think it's better to have another broadcast who doesn't who isn't into the sport to get involved because you obviously Channel nine and Fox.
Speaker 3: Have the the dominance.
Speaker 1: There's so much to analyze here, right, and I think we need to separate the two countries because the Australian market is very different to the British market.
Speaker 2: There's yes, there's there's.
Speaker 1: We tend to clump them together because we think about rugby league, but they're actually very different markets. And this is going to be the danger of anybody from Australia going to UK and vice versa. So let's look at the UK side of things first, because there's probably no broadcaster locked in yet, there's actually nobody who's probably that bothered about promoting it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well promote what you don't have a right do you? That's right? That's right.
Speaker 1: So Channel seven, even though they've made a wholics of it, they have a vested interest in a lot of people looking at Channel seven in October when nobody else is thinking about rugby league, right, So they have a vested interest and this is what gets missed quite often when we talk about TV rights things in Australia. They've just announced a record rights deal, but part of that deal will be contra for Fox advertising rugby league via a twenty four hour new Rugby League channel via social media channels etc. And Channel nine the same Channel nine's YouTube, for example, is excellent and some of their content, their peripheral content is excellent. So in the UK right now, there's nobody who's got that interest. Secondly, we've had a pathetic attempt at winning the Ashes not that long ago, so I would argue that interest in the UK in general. For England traveling to Australia, England haven't won anything in Australia. Saying no will have won one game. They we won one game full stop in the last twenty years. They haven't won a series in Australia since nineteen seventy, so you can understand why it's a bit hard to generate that in Australia. I dare say not many people know about the World Cup. I wrote an article for Zero Tackle last week and said if one hundred people were stopped on the Trust Street and said do you know there's a World Cup on this year, a lot of people probably wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: And that's just in Brisbane and Sydney and which are rugby league heartlands.
Speaker 1: And that again, if you look at the other side of the coin, apathy towards international rugby league from Australia.
Speaker 2: They've won.
Speaker 1: I think there's been soeventeen World Cups and they've won fifteen of them or fourteen of them. They won every World Cup between nineteen seventy five and two thousand and eight a night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they won every World Cup after they Asnyah.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, you can understand it. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now they've got sixty seven thousand followers on Instagram for the Rugby League World Cup, so there is an interest, and I think a lot of the interest over here comes from Samoan and Tongan fans and people who want to watch that fixture and brag about that rivalry. So when Salmoa did so well at the last World Cup, the airport was packed when they got back. I think it was to Sydney and even Brisbane fans were parading on the streets and whatnot. Also, Australia is more of a rusted on rugby league market. They could do no marketing at all and the stadiums will still get relatively good crowds. The play game in Townsville for exams, they'll turn up, play the game in Wollongong, they'll turn up. Perth is a little bit of a different Yeah, I don't think that's forgiven. I don't think that's a given because I think a lot of rugby league people when it comes to November November, you know, they turn on the cricket or they switch off. So I think this is there's not many some Owen and Tongum fans turn on cricket, John and that's the difference and the fundamental There's not a million of them in Australia either there but the but a lot of them are focused on rugby league.
Speaker 3: They're not going to go and see England VP and Gene. They're not going to go and see FIJIV cook Lands. We need we need to have a proper strategy that goes on, not just at the end of the NRL season. We actually need to get our house and gee because this happens. I mean, I think the last World Cup they did actually in England, they did start marketing a lot earlier and things and up. But I think we need to, you know, we really really need to lift our gang if we want the international game to be s and I think it is. I think there's going to be some great Games of the World Cup like England, p and G England, tong Are, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, you know, the feed Gene team.
Speaker 2: I think there's going to be some some fantastic games, you know.
Speaker 3: I think Lebanon could be quite strong, depending on who makes them self available. You know, is it is it Moses is a Dewey, et cetera twelve. But you know, we've got we've got to promote it properly, and particularly in the UK. You know, I use the analogy with the Comwealth Games and you're in Australia, so I don't know. Probably because Australia is winning more medals than anyone else, it's probably getting a lot of media coverage in the UK.
Speaker 2: I don't even know. I think it maybe it's on tn T, but I've not seen a second of it.
Speaker 3: Like all I've seen, I think is that Madelon McCain's brother is swimming for for gb or for Scotland or something. I've not seen a second of it. Like I think it's it's completely niche. And that's the worry with the World Cup. Is that written in to push it out? We know from our ashes Rugby League Podcast. Last year we started that I think in March leading up to the and our numbers were steady and there you die hard. They're the ones who were watching the old YouTube, just like you and I. But as soon as the ashes started the numbers tripled. And it was literally after the first fixture the numbers of listeners to our podcast tripled. And I think that speaks to the modern fan now in terms of the compartmentalized quite a lot. And it's an RL obsessed now for example maybe or whatever obsessed and then all of a sudden they'll switch to something else. So real big challenges for the Rugby League World Cup. Next thing, Johnny tweet of the week. I think we're going to clash over this a bit. This is the beauty of the MRL your role. Last year the top four teams were Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane and Canterbury, Newcastle, Wodwood and Spoon. This year the top four is Penrith, Roosters, Warriors and Sharks. Newcastle are in six, Brisbane are in fourteenth. Turnarounds can be swift and massive. My question to you, John is why is that beautiful? I say it's beautiful from the neutral standpoint that going into most weeks, most games, not all, but the competitive competitiveness is very high and you don't know who's going to win and your team. If you are a team, say you're a Knights fan, you know you've had a pretty well. Knights fans had a horrible year the last year. The year before that, I think they finished maybe six or seventh. They snuck into the Semis. But there are much changed team this year and even without you know, two of the better players with injury, they one on the weekend.
Speaker 2: And they're going to be back in the finals. And I think the beauty for me at the NRL, you know.
Speaker 3: Brisbane Broncos win the comp last year, they're absolutely dogshit this year. Melbourne Storm. You know, I've been up there for a long long time having their worst year and probably twenty thirty years. I think it's good, you know, much like the NFL or the NBA, where you get these changes around in in performances, in finishes each year, because it keeps things interesting, it keeps entertaining, I think, and I know the Premier League does have a high level of competitiveness and there are a lot of changes, but for many, many years, or many decades you had a kind of fixed four or five clubs, and obviously Man City came in and changed that, and before that it was Chelsea. But you know, you had Man you you had Arsenal, you had Liverpool and I know lester of I know there's changes, but I think because we have, much like the American sports, a salary cap, and everyone spends the salary cap. I'm lock in Super League. Everyone gets the same money and spends it. It's a much more even competition, right. My opinion is beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. The I think some of the reasons that some of those teams have dropped significantly is because we don't have a fair draw, so you don't play everybody home and away. So the draw has an awful lot to do with it. The turnarounds have a lot to do with it. The salary cap puts a squeeze on you. If you've been successful one year, you're actually forced to offload some players quite often, which I like. Like I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll let you speak and I didn't even interrupt you want, so you're now going to let me speak and also what happened was the rules got changed quite significantly, in fact, very significantly, a matter of weeks before the tournament, before the competition started. And to put that in some kind of context, if you recruit in a certain way for years and then all of a sudden the rules changed to the point where the fundamental fabric of the game changes quite significantly, that can be a real shock to the system. We are a salary cap sport, so we manipulate that that's manufactured. We're now looking at rules to manufacture to try and get the game to stop blowing out as much. And that's why we are trialing in the NRL in the last three, three or four rounds where there's dead rubber games, the kickoff rule. I'm glad you mentioned the English Premier League because there's a very big difference between the English Premier League and the NRL and the Super League, and it's every number associated with it in terms of dollars and pounds, in terms of viewing figures, in terms of attendancies. Now you might think, or anybody might think, world, there's more money in that game and everything else. In nineteen ninety two, ninety three, ninety four, they were almost on paroity English English football. English rugby league was the second most popular sport in terms of viewers and in terms of attendance in the country, and the NRL didn't exist.
Speaker 2: It was the ARL. But everything was successful.
Speaker 1: So we've lost in theory in the last thirty five years, and we have a competition that's manufactured. So, like I said, not everybody plays everybody twice. We have an origin period where for about two months now, because of the physical impacts of the game, because of those rule changes I've discussed as well because of the training methods, two months of our competition gets absolutely obliterated, and none more so. There's no result that stands out more than the one that the Cowboys got last week. And we also have a final series where they're even looking at extending that to ten, even though there's a century of data that suggests that if you don't finish in the top four, you don't win the competition. So there's an awful lot of manufacturing going on John that personally I don't like.
Speaker 2: So beauty is very.
Speaker 1: Much in the eye of the beholder, but I like to peel it back and look at why, why, Why have Newcastle gone up so much this year. Well, they've got a decent coach and also and also the rules probably benefit their team, and they've got a coach who's gone these are the qualities of my players, I'm gonna let them free. I'm gonna unleash them. And if the competition was trending upwards in the sense that to beat the best you had to get better as opposed to the best getting worse, it'd be a lot harder to fly from the bottom to the top. Brisbane Broncos, if you look at their last four years, it shouldn't be a surprise because they got to the twenty twenty three Grand Final, got within a b's appendage of winning that one. The year after they tanked and didn't make the finals and Kevy Walter's got sacked. Last year they won the Grand Final under Madge Approven winning coach. But I've used this phrase before, nothing fails like success. And look at the state of them this year, and the common denominator is the way they've recruited players over the years. So I actually don't think the It doesn't appeal to me that we get a competitive competition by making the best worse it just does not appeal to me. I think we need to make the best better and everyone needs to trend upward to try and beat those better teams.
Speaker 2: That was a long diatribe. Well it wasn't. How disrespectful is that one think? I think the easiest measurement.
Speaker 3: There's not one team that spends one hundred and ninety million on players and one that spends forty million. They all spent the most, which makes it a lot more even competitive. But yeah, so yeah, bring so yeah so so. I'll give you an analogy. You live on a street and the bloke three doors down owns earns forty grand a year. You earn four hundred grand a year. Because he earns forty grand a year, You've got to spend the same amount of money, and you're not allowed to spend your four hundred, You've got to spend forty. That's what I'm saying in the Premier League that the difference in wage bill makes it, you know, almost an impossible battle.
Speaker 2: That was my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you've already said Lester did it one year. Also, look at the numbers, John, Look at the numbers. Look how many people want to watch it? Look how many people turn up to watch it.
Speaker 3: Every monk in my in my opinion, has not a fair is not a fair fight. But yeah, but as you said, is in the eye of beholder.
Speaker 2: Is in the eye of the beholding.
Speaker 1: Really my opinion, and it's my opinion too, And you were disrespectful and called it diatribe. Johnny's jab Super League TV coverage? What needs to change? I might challenge you here. I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: There you go. What you're coming up with now is diatribe. You didn't.
Speaker 1: You didn't argue back with me. You just said, oh, it's diatribe, disrespectful.
Speaker 2: Cool. I couldn't argue back. I'd fall asleep. Yeah, well I was again. You've been disrespectful again. What about the crap you came up with? Do you know what I mean? Like, we can be as disrespectful as we want. So.
Speaker 3: I think my point about the TV coverage is I was watching again on Thursday night.
Speaker 2: On the other channels on Sky you had.
Speaker 3: I think there was an NBA talk show rerun, there was an NFL talk show, There was live tennis, live golf, I think it was the hundred, There was golf.
Speaker 2: Whatever else.
Speaker 3: The mode been darts and then obviously we had the Huddersfield left game. You had no pregame, you had no middle analysis, and then no postgame and it's just really poor production. I'm not blaming Sky because yeah, they've had their budgets cut and this is the deal that was made. But you know, there's talks about a new deal and whether it'll be every game, I'm not I'm not convinced showing every game live is a bonus, you know, a boon for the competition when there's a big difference in the full coverage that you get, you know, the two games.
Speaker 1: Also the games happen at the same time, so you have to make a choice.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, And you know, I think it's just you know, they're not presented particularly well, and I think presentation matters. I think you know where they're scheduled, not just timing. You are one hundred percent right when you've got it against games competing each other, But on which channel they showed?
Speaker 2: Are they hidden away? Are they available? You know, are they marketed? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I'm just not convinced after a couple of years with had every game, tellsed whether what are the viewing figures like you don't get the viewing figures, so they Sky doesn't publish them.
Speaker 2: Super League the RFL doesn't show them.
Speaker 3: And then you you have to pay for a membership to the audience TV ratings things to actually get and also on the plus on the red button, you don't get particular ratings unless from Sky for those for those.
Speaker 1: Super League money from Sky is in has decreased, doesn't it over the last few TV deals basically.
Speaker 3: In about the last five years, it's basically half from from forty to about twenty one and a half billion.
Speaker 2: So if this goes up, it might be because more people are watching ULL be League. Well, the RFL came out with.
Speaker 3: A figure and an annual report that the average ratings have got up fifty percent.
Speaker 2: Now I don't know if that's true or not, that's what they're claiming.
Speaker 3: I know previously when we had only a couple of games that the ratings, I mean they vary greatly. You get games that were like maybe sixty thousand people. You get games so we're two hundred thousand. This is quite a few years ago, so there was a there was a big variation. But yeah, I just the plaid games with no pre game no post game, no, you know, just a static shot with the same terrible music or whatever.
Speaker 2: I just don't think that's a great look for the sport or for super Really, it.
Speaker 1: Happens a lot on KO over here, so they will they will take plenty of sports. So for example, the Sheffield Shield, they have the Sheffield Shield and the camera's basically there's one camera at one end, one camera at the other. Sometimes there's only one camera full stop and there's not much in terms of different angles. You certainly don't get the runout sideways angle or something like that. Then you certainly don't get snick or on whatnot. But if you want to watch Sheffield Shield you can. And in the ad breaks they'll quite often be screens that say there should be words the effect of there should be an advert here, but there isn't. Just enjoy the quiet time or something like that. And that also happened on SBS on the app for the World the fee for World Cup. And I think a big part of that is that advertisers are slowly waking up to the fact that these things are happening. But I do think I personally again think the future is in screening all the games and when there's more money coming in via advertising, when there's more money coming in via everything else, they'll be able to spend more on these things. And I do have a problem with the fact that all games are screened in the context of them playing at the same time, So that comes down to super League and they're scheduling. What can they do? What can they do to help that? Talking about super League and it's scheduling and whatnot. There is talk now, isn't there from well you and I had a chat about something, but also another couple of media organizations have hinted that the NRL and super League date deal may have moved to a significant stage or a.
Speaker 3: More year stage. There's only really rumors at this point. I've had nothing concrete. There was talk last week that there was going to be an offer presented. I'd heard from one source that there maybe a deal had been done, but I had no confirmation of that. So I can't say anything with any certainly or clarity.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it does.
Speaker 3: Seem like things are moving and happening. Yeah, one source, I said, you know that they're optimistic that something will be done. But again, I will see that. I will believe it when I see it, but yeah, it seemed to be keep very quiet in terms of you know, very high level talks.
Speaker 2: And it's not to have trickled down, shall we say somewhere it was written or said that a deal had.
Speaker 1: Actually been presented finally as well, so we probably need to put that on the record, I think if if indeed that is true drama in the wheelchair game. Yes, so I ran a story last week.
Speaker 3: There wasn't a lot of detas, but essentially Warrington had two games abandoned in quick succession, one against Witness, one against Salford. I believe in a Witness game there was a referee it was allegendly punched in an all in brawl. And then in Sulfur game, I believe there was a dispute over referee decision and the team walked off and yeah, that was also abandoned. And I've been hearing some other things about the wheelchair game late from a few people, so that it seems like it's not a part of rugula to gainst a lot of coverage, or had they any coverage, But there does seem to be a few issues cropping out behind the scenes, so it's not well says that in that sector.
Speaker 1: NRL we've mentioned the Cowboys defeat already, but so that was probably the big story this week. I didn't see the game because I was out working at a club and I had a big drive home and then I clicked on the NRL website and I actually refreshed the page, thinking that I had clicked on Jersey Flag or something or NRLW but I hadn't. Cowboys is lost by eighty and the other big news that Melbourne Storm a leader in the game of rugby league for the last twenty plus years, a market leader, officially out of the titles race now out of the finals race, and Brisbane are too, So there's probably the big things there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some big, big results there. I mean, I think Brisbane has no surprise Melbourne.
Speaker 3: That was still sort of fighting work, but it's been a horrible year for them with the Craig Bellamy news as well.
Speaker 2: But the Cowboys, I've seen some highlights. I didn't watch it live, but to conceive that.
Speaker 3: Many points, you just you know, I know, obviously there are the new rules, but you just I saw the Marky mark try and it just looked like there was no effort from the Cowboys defence. Just, yeah, an eyesore of a result on my score line, because the Cowboys have actually been doing quite well for the last few absolutely, absolutely to their fans, one of the best. Yes, the fan bases up there in Townsville, and they love their rugby league and they love their rugby league team. And it's the darkest day in cowboys relatively short history, which is getting close to thirty two years I think now, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty disgusting. Let's go to the questions and take your time, John about some good ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had one just popped up just before we recorded from Nazarenko. Where do you both see the ceiling being for Wakefield Trinity. I think that's a really good question. Obviously we talked about them a little bit, but I think they've come such a long way as a club.
Speaker 2: I don't think I can't really see them winning it this year. I think they're probably a player or two away from that.
Speaker 3: But obviously they've made some really good signings for next year, particularly in RTS. Just it's really shame about his acl interest injury and losing Tyson Smith at the end of the year is not great. But yeah, I really like Wakefield as a club. The ambition their owner shows, the way they play. They've just got this big, dominant Ford.
Speaker 1: Pack and I don't think then, I don't think there needs to be a ceiling. And I actually look at Wakefield as another version of what Hawk Are did a few years ago where I were a few years ago. So as Pitbull said, shoot for the stars and at least you might end up at the top of the world. Nazarenko, Yeah, I think, I think I think they could be.
Speaker 3: You know, they could be total winners in the next couple of years if they if they continue what they're doing and build.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Question from Trent Watkins, what are your and Lee's plays for the Rugby League World Cup podcast coverage going to Games et cetera. And then the second part was England's games are mostly in Perth a fact finding mission for for Perth piece finding first Players finding a marquee player.
Speaker 1: Question Mark, Well, well, can I answer that one? I assume it came from somebody in England, so I don't know who would want to do. I don't know if anybody would want to help the Perth Bears. That's Perth Bears problem and the NRL's problem. I don't know why anybody from England want to do that, but in terms of content and English people struggle with this sometimes. I had a look at the fixtures and I live very close to Brisbane and not so far away from the Gold Coast, and you'll know exactly what I'm saying, John, I'm teaching you to suck eggs here. But there's two games in Brisbane. One of them is Australia versus Fiji, which i'll politely decline, and the other one is the final right, so that's obviously interesting. The Gold Coast game. The only game is New Zealand versus Fiji. So personally I have no interest in going to those two games. No offense to Fiji, but they're going to get hammered in both games to watch England. For me, in the first two games, it's the equivalent of driving or flying from Manchester to Moscow in Russia. So it's quite a challenge for me to go to that game. And if I want to go to the game in Wongong, which is the third game that England play, that's the equivalent of maybe flying London to Paris then driving the equivalent of Saint Helen's to Hull or Parish to lens Lawns, however you say it, or I could drive from Manchester to Lawns to get to that game. So it's it's it's a lot more difficult over here.
Speaker 2: Who was a person? Who's the person who sent us that question? Who? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry mister Watkins. So I'm just trying to give it, give it the picture for you. Six games in Sydney there is and to fly to Sydney to matches is the equivalent of I don't know, flying London to Paris or something and there's a semi final there. So it is a bit harder, isn't it, John for Australian people to bob around and you're you're going to be over here in Australia and it's it's literally quite difficult, isn't it. It's it's not like driving down the sixty two. You can't get to every game or across to a lot of them. I know I've sort of mapped up where i'll be.
Speaker 3: I'm going to the opener Australia New Zealand in Sydney, which I think will be a fantastic game, and then the following night in Paramatter samorrowv.
Speaker 2: France and the men's and Australia v.
Speaker 3: Samor and the women's which is a double header, and then two days later in Beautiful Newcastle FIGIV the cook Lands and the Men's and New Zealand VGI in the women's and then I think it's about five days later in Paramatta again Tonga v. Eleven on the men's and Samow v Wales and the women and then I think it's a week later England vpg P and g Sorry and the men which is also double header with England v. So I think that'll be a and there's a wheelchair game actually, which is the first game, so I might try and get three in one game. But yeah, England v PNG will be a massive game, especially because whoever wins their first game the tongue of game England could be playing or fighting for a spot in the semifinals. Maybe it might be a must win games. So I think in terms of playings for the World Cup. In terms of podcast coverage, I think we're still working that out. But when we're both in the same time zone, recording a lot easier, so I think we'll.
Speaker 2: Probably do.
Speaker 3: The preview World Cup or to a preview podcast or two maybe two weeks to a week before the World Cup, and then we might be able to knock out a few bonus ones throughout the won't.
Speaker 2: Be in the same times on John will be an hour different. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now the other thing, John's got an advantage over me because John will fly into Sydney and all the fixtures had just spoken about a maximum. I mean the biggest drive John will have it's probably two hours, isn't it. Because you're either going to go from Newcastle to Sydney, I don't know if you're staying in Sydney to go to Wong or whatever. That will be a four hour three to four hour drive for you. But it's a bit more palatable, isn't it. That's a bit like the M sixty two in a way. That's like going from Liverpool to Hall or something basically. So so you're you've got an advantage, whereas me being in Brisbane, I've got to jump on the plane most of the time if we want.
Speaker 2: To see some of these fixtures.
Speaker 1: So it's going to be a bit harder for me, and it's but we're hoping we can do one in person aren't we we can sit in the same room.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I believe you'll be in Newcastle around the seventeenth, so yeah, possibly it could potentially get to that Fiji Cook Islands game at McDonald Jones if you're in Newcastle that weekend.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we will. We'll have some firm We've got a bit more playing to do, but we'll have some well. Thing.
Speaker 1: The thing is, having been here for twenty two years, have become a bit more Australian than I like to admit sometimes. And Ozzie is a very last minute and and and you're you're getting the English disease of you have to plan everything like a military commander for six months before it happens. So and it's something I noticed when I go back and do and do seminars and whatnot in England, they're asking me three months out for things that you know, what you need, what you need, And I'm thinking to myself, I sort of think about that the week before I get there, kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I've got a fly fifteen other mile so I've been planning it mostly since.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, It's it's like a holiday for you, isn't it. That's the difference it's it's it's yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The second part of trans question about the birth day is I think, look, I think they've signed four English players Perth. I think they won't be making any more signings from the World Cup. I think they'll have this squad, but I mean they've obviously quite busy in the last week or two and quite a few players, so I don't think they'll be calling anyone from the England team strutting to their pre season and then their debut. But we've got some other questions as well. Question from Brian Davies, So loose went with your very young Teamate leads nine French lads in the side academy laid lad deboot and the halves expected team at home Josh next week to feel very different. Is that disrespectful to the comp or of t O earned the right with the wins they already have. I don't think it's disrespectful to them. Yeah, I think I think they have heard the right when they're you know, they're fighting with what once one point six million behind everyone else, and they've got a look long term. I think, you know, to lose finish twelfth or eleventh, they should be shouting from the rooftops. Even if they finished thirteenth, I think that's a result. So yeah, no, agreed. I think fair play to them. Yeah, you're tately agreed. And I've got a question from JJ Smith. Would love to hear your two thoughts onstead of the international game, especially with the recent and a nineteen tournament in France and the neumerous international women's matches for example Freds, the England, Canada, the Wales and Scotland. What needs to change for internationals to be a priority? I think international league is an absolute mess. And the reason I think it's an absolute mess is that.
Speaker 1: There's no long term plan and if they do have a long term plant changes. I mean, this particular World Cup was meant to take place in twenty twenty five. It was first meant to take place in the USA and Canada. That was scrapped, and then it became France, and then that was scrapped and we've ended up going a year later in one of the two places that we always have the World Cup, one of them being the Southern Hemisphere Australia, New Zealand and PNG, the other being the UK and a bit of France. Also, what happened is they brought the competition down to ten teams, which is something they do all the time when they have a competition in Australia, and that's obviously because of costs of many players getting over to Australia. What that does for an international rugby league. I've done a lot of work in the emerging nations realm culminating if you like. In twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen when I had Poland, I put in lots of long term plans, which is very very hard when you are dealing with something built on sand, on foundations of sand. And when the emerging Nations woke up happened in twenty eighteen, that was the first time that had happened for eighteen years, and there'd been one five years before that one, so that was a very inconsistent thing to put into context. Also, all we wanted to do at Poland and I also had this at the USA, and I also had this with Ireland, put in long term strategies, but for some reason, for some political reason, that wasn't allowed to happen. I've seen numerous times the game not helping certain nations, and the final nail for me for all this was when they scrapped the sixteen World Cup sixteen teen World Cup for the ten team World Cup, and it meant nations like Greece for example, who could have built on the last one, didn't have a chance. Jamaica, who could have built on the last one, didn't have a chance. And I think the worrying thing is and something that Andy Burnham needs to get hold of, is the absolute state of Scotland, Ireland and Wales and England when it comes to performance in these things. So my opinion on international rugby league has possibly never been lower.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, Yeah, I agree with a lot of what you said there. I think.
Speaker 3: We need consistency. There is so much chopping and changing and the goal pert's being moved. I think, you know, getting rid of the Emerging Nation Swore Cup was a big mistake. I can understand what I cut it from sixteen to ten because the sixteen World Cup lost money.
Speaker 2: And I think you need you need to kind of go out.
Speaker 3: We need to be able to wash around face, so we need to be making money from tournaments so then you can give more development money out. But yeah, I think there's there's so much needs to be down in an international game.
Speaker 1: If you look at the history of World Cups, John, it's changed from nineteen fifty four round robin with a final, few years later round robin without a final. One year it was a round robin and they went, oh shit, we better put a challenge final in and decided that last minute. Then they went to a league system over the course of a year. Then they went to a league system over the course of four years and just threw in a final. And then since we've gone back to tournament formats, we've gone ten teams, sixteen teams, variations of that. We've had quarter finals, we've not had quarter finals, we've had equal pools, we've had super pools. It's a mess. It's an absolute mess. We ever managed to get the trophy Nicks for twenty year.
Speaker 3: Is one thing I think that is positive is that the NRL is looking more at the international game now. Obviously with the Pacific Championships that paid for that, and they are funding obviously money into PNG and the Pacific region. Now I know the NRL is also interested in Wales, so I think obviously if a deal is done with Super leg and the RFL, then they would look to develop England, the World, Great Britain and France. I think they realized that those are pivot areas for the for the world. But I think we need more money directed, you know, whether it be from the NRL TV deal, directed, siphoned over rin fenced for the international.
Speaker 2: Help us all be one the land is you're our only hope.
Speaker 3: Yes, but don't criticize anyone because there's a new media reticular leader and you'll be kicked out.
Speaker 2: And Blacks I've criticized everybody today. Well in the same morning Herald, You're you're going to be in big trouble in the future. They can they can kiss me. And on that note, for questions, it is, yes, it is yeah. Previews.
Speaker 1: Not many questions this week on previews are should I say John's tips I should have kept a score? Next week Thursday, Saint Helen's versus Hull Left C.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we've talked to because we went through the fixtures, We've talked about a few of those games.
Speaker 2: But I think, yeah, Saint Helen's back and then.
Speaker 1: Friday three games of take o'clock casts at home to Whole k R.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The schizophrenic targets, I think I think whole k are for me. You're not scarred by the other week. Yeah, I'm not. I'm not put my life on it, but I think I think who are starting hit a bit of form now? Lee at home to York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Leo bounce back New York, you know, struggle for consistency week a week. But I think Lee know how important that game is. That now they'll put a good performance at home and get a win.
Speaker 1: And the top two are playing each other at the IY Kitchens. Wakefield against Leeds.
Speaker 3: I mean Wakefield have already beaten Leeds in the cap, knock the man a couple in this year. I think you could flip a coin for this. I'll probably just edged with Lee, sorry with Leeds. But Wakefield at home a massive winning round. They're a real chance to win that game as well.
Speaker 1: Saturday three games kicking off at different times. Huddersfield Giants at home to Catalans at two o'clock on a Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Right, they're un least I'm all behind them. Wigan play to lose at five point thirty on Saturday. Yeah, I think the worries. Bradford at home to Warrington an hour later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think Redford with so many injuries, you know, throwing debutantes and getting in Alan players every which way, I think Warranton for that one.
Speaker 2: And once again no fixtures on Sunday in the Bedford super League.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't I don't really know this this strategy, but I think it's a real disappoint particularly with we're in the midst of the well. It's not a heat wave, but it's like a nameless summer in the UK, so you know it's good. I think, you know, Sunday for a quockick off would be a big winner. I think there's nothing better than the afternoon for they on a nice one day. So yeah, an opportunity list.
Speaker 1: And I think because of the run in, the run in that we did for the Super League, I think our episode has been a bumper edition. It's gone very long today, so hopefully people can it maybe consume the first half on the way to work on the second half after but spirited off work and listen to it all.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, that's right. Have a good week, John, and we'll catch each other next week.
Speaker 3: Mhm.