Speaker 1: Streaming live. I mean, iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacob Zalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to my End the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, he's Jacin's awe. Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: ESPN reporter Adrian Wojanowski has retired from ESPN to become the general manager of Saint Bonaventure's men's basketball program.
Speaker 5: What do you make of that? I mean, was he is? I saw that.
Speaker 6: I saw his his tweet, his tweet and his message and YadA YadA. But he's going to keep working. And that's not a job that you're gonna get a lot of time back. I mean, your general manager of a major basketball program, say about adventures?
Speaker 5: What do you mean keep working? He's going to be the general manager? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, no, not quick.
Speaker 6: He's not gonna stop working. Yeah he's only yeah. So was he about to get forced out?
Speaker 5: Who knows?
Speaker 3: But he's very good at what he does, right however he does it, he's very good. Maybe he's just tired of it because it's probably the only thing when I saw it is this team must be pretty good, because you're as good as your last haircut. And if you go ten and twenty, you're gone, right, You're gone from the program. No, you're gone. The coach is gone, and everybody are you so? And so are you so? I guess you felt pretty comfortable and doing this. But it's something that we talked about a month ago, the GM situation where the coaches just want to coach, don't bother me. Oh, you had all the other.
Speaker 5: Stuff, and I get that.
Speaker 6: You know, you leave ESPN and with the job that he had, he was probably traveling a lot and that kind of stuff and maybe you know, that's closer to home and he and you know, he gets to spend more time at home. But just the question of you know, is there something going on at ESPN and was he about to get get canned over there's always something going on, because we've been surprised about some people that they've let go. Sure, right, like, you know what what should surpribe me, Sam Ponder?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Right, Well, she was making a lot of money apparently, but you know.
Speaker 6: She made her way up to ESPN Ladder and all of a sudden before the season is out of here, she was a great hostess, our host.
Speaker 3: I should say, they have Greenie and yeah, I'm sorry, Greenie just doesn't.
Speaker 5: Have it for me. Yeah, well because you kind of thought she was by cubes.
Speaker 6: Well no, but see, you know what, it's funny.
Speaker 5: Well there's that. Okay, there's that.
Speaker 6: But but you know, I I lost my affinity, not affinity. I stopped liking Greenee when he when he did Mike Golie, Yeah right, went behind his back kind of like I did with you and left him and you know, cut him loose and green Uh so, I really I don't like he was such a down to He was like one of us, just a guy talking sports, and all of a sudden he elevated himself to this level where he's like now he's a studio host, and he's different, you know, wearing the sports coats and and and you know, and just I don't like his persona anymore.
Speaker 5: I don't like his delivery anymore.
Speaker 6: He's trying to be too polished, when before that he was just one of the guys. Yeah, well, well that happens. So that's part of why I don't you know, So let me say this.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's a chance because he's fifty five, maybe he has kids coming up and more time. You You left your thing in late eighties or nineties to be more of a single her husband, but you're not.
Speaker 6: I mean I was. I was single when I left. But you saw the potential. Right, You're gonna be on the road a lot.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Your son has had to deal with it. You did it too.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to get out of the business because you want to spend time with the kids. Justin there's another example. You get out because you want to spend time with the kids. Uh, I get it, I get it. I'm I'm interested to see and money isn't everything. But I'm sure he's getting paid pretty well at ESPN. I couldn't be making the same amount.
Speaker 6: No, but maybe he's made so much at ESPN that he doesn't need to make a whole time at st BNAB.
Speaker 3: There's there's and you get to go and do what you really love to do. Not that he didn't love to do this. Yeah, I don't know. I'm still trying to find a sponsor, not just another job. Yeah, So how's have you started?
Speaker 2: Kind of right.
Speaker 3: Yea good no, no, no, no, no, I don't worry about the work. How's it going back to?
Speaker 5: Oh that part? It's it's it's funny.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like getting up this morning and like I gotta go to work, and I got up, take a shower, put on some clothes. I mean, I got clothes on. I got like a regular clothes on. It's different, you know. I my my my sister comes over. There's a day that my grandson comes over the house and we watch him, but my sister comes over and helps with that. And the other day she my wife was gone. My sister was there and she was watching watching the kid, and she I come out of the room and I got close to go where are you going? I said, I know this sounds funny, but I got to go to work, and I was going to work, and it did sound funny.
Speaker 5: How many years twenty years since I've been in an office sucks to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I twent in in September, actually September of two thousand and four. I left my job at the City of Tucson.
Speaker 5: Nice to be married to a sugar Bola.
Speaker 6: It's you know what's Steve, It's all different too, being in an office.
Speaker 5: It's all different. It's funny.
Speaker 3: I got to fund Sugar Bowl. You know what, both of us, you'd be my wing men.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 6: You've blown all that with your talk about I don't wives and stuff.
Speaker 5: This needs for a weekend. These guys will help me. I don't know, Henry, do you know what? Don't do it? Henry Matthew.
Speaker 6: Matthews, I got all right.
Speaker 5: We kicked that one around a little bit.
Speaker 4: Eli Manning headline, is the first time Hall of Fame nominees for the twenty twenty five Class sixteen. Other first time Hall of Famers on the list include Leeke, Luke, Keighley, Torell Suggs, and Adam Vinitary.
Speaker 5: Who's the first dude, Eli man No? No, no, the second dude then Luke? You know him?
Speaker 7: You linebacker from the Panthers.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Sorry, is Eli Manning the Hall of Famer? I guess a good question. I was thinking that as as you were, as you were hearing.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't know, because I didn't I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's got the two Super Bowl sure right, there's that, yeah, and there's there's a lot of a lot of Hall of Famers who don't have that many super Bowls? But was he a great quarterback or was he a great quarterback for two seasons during the playoffs?
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't know. I couldn't tell you. I don't know if he that's a tough.
Speaker 5: Does the or does the manny name get him in? Probably does? Probably does? And the two super bowls? Would you vote for him? Who? Is there a criteria? Could alkipor get it? I think you know all the vote for so many?
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, I think there's a limited amount.
Speaker 5: I don't know because I don't know the second guy. I have no idea.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've heard of the name, but I don't know. I couldn't have told you. I couldn't have told you his position or his team.
Speaker 5: Matthew, now that he said, so who else? Who else? Again?
Speaker 7: Sugs?
Speaker 5: And you can't get in because it is you got And I think both of those dudes it sucks too. I think sugs too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I only know I don't know the second, but the second dude, they probably all get in if they all could get in. So no, if all four get the boats, unless you you know what I'm saying. If you get everybody. I'm like, God broke. Everybody gets it. You get a Hall of Fame bus? Do you get a Hall of Fame bus?
Speaker 2: You got it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know. Interesting, I don't know if Eli Manning is a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 5: I really don't. Matthew, what do you think? You think?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 5: I think he is, all right, Henry.
Speaker 4: No, because bet your giant. He will get in because his last name is Manning. But he shouldn't get in, all right, because he shouldn't get in because he doesn't have good enough numbers. He never was a top five quarterback.
Speaker 5: Right that.
Speaker 6: That's yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. He was never a great quarterback, but he was a great quarterback. Two sion in the playoffs where you won a super Bowl, we got a call in is it a man? You gotta call?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That was a fast and it was a hard. No, it was a hard He's a New York Giant man, all right.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: The Panthers are not considering trading Bryce Young despite benching him for Andy Dalton.
Speaker 5: They are not.
Speaker 7: They are not.
Speaker 5: They're not. They can't do that. Kive me that.
Speaker 6: That's that's making that's admitting that you made a horrible mistake, no Number one.
Speaker 5: And guess what.
Speaker 3: He needs time, no question, no question, And he might take some good good well not take some good advice, but it might do the Pinnix route. Who thought he was going to be a stud coming in and sit back, watched how people do it. He's only twenty four, twenty five whatever it is, and six twenty three.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and he's like, he's like five ten, one hundred and sixty pounds. I mean, who thought he was going to be a great NFL quarterbacks?
Speaker 5: What twenty two twenty one, two years removed from you? Guys?
Speaker 7: Give him a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I mean, look in the end, you gotta win games, and you got to put the guy in that's going to help you win games.
Speaker 5: But you don't give up on him.
Speaker 3: That and you and maybe you're the problem because you started him right away. Look at Penix. Penix is going to do a great job when he gets his time. Yeah, sit and wait, there's no rush. You'll be fine. Yeah, it happens to all these guys. You know, Mayfield, he talks about this earlier. He was thrown to the wolves right away, struggled. Yeah, he's doing pretty well, Tampa been doing pretty well a few years later. I think the only really bad one we talked about this in the car, right was Winston uh.
Speaker 7: Frus, that's who that guy.
Speaker 5: That guy was a po from the get and the and money guy, money guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he wasn't even a first overall. He was a just first round pick. Yeah, not first overall.
Speaker 5: It takes time. I mean, there's too much rush for everybody to doel right away.
Speaker 6: They want it now, they want it, and and you know they may may.
Speaker 2: They just.
Speaker 6: Don't over estimated him, right, And who knows who would have taken him and how far down he would have dropped if they don't taken when they were well.
Speaker 5: And here's another issue.
Speaker 3: The kid at Texas Shroud he does really well, and you say, well, what happens here?
Speaker 6: We could happen. So everyone's different, right, everyone's different again? Who thought brock Perty was going to be any good?
Speaker 5: Right? Right? Right?
Speaker 6: You just don't know until these guys get into the league and start doing it, mister irrelevant, all right.
Speaker 4: The WNBA has added it's fifteen franchise, a team that will begin play in Portland in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, that now, they had a team before.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they had a team the early two thousands and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and but you know what, did it just go away or did they move?
Speaker 7: I think they relocated.
Speaker 6: But you know, with with the life that's come to the w n b A, you know, now they're saying that they want to get a team back in Houston because they had a team there and not saying, Okay, Houston's up next and.
Speaker 5: You know, coming bring them back. I'm not really sure. I'm not really sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny, guys, these guys were you were not here Monday, but they were talking up Caitlin Clark.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, he's a big Caitlin fan.
Speaker 6: There's she you know what, she's easy to be a fan of. Yah, right, she really is, you know, because there's one thing when you get a lot of hype and you don't deserve the hype. But when you're good and and and you you, you you.
Speaker 5: Kind of ride that.
Speaker 6: You know, you're you're you you you you accepted you, you let it become a part of it, and then you do things with it.
Speaker 5: That's what you That's what you love to see there.
Speaker 6: She's making so many right moves, you know, and it's having a huge effect on not just her team, but the league and the sport.
Speaker 5: So good for her, all.
Speaker 4: Right, The Orioles designated reliever Craig Kimbrel for assignment after posting a five three three ERA this season.
Speaker 5: All have the time to be doing that right a seasons almost. This is an inside joke. I hate Craig Karrent Kimbrel.
Speaker 6: I say that every time every time one him, because he was a Dodger and for I think a year or two, and he was awful. He was a closer and I could have been a better closer and I can't even throw anymore. And the inside joke is that myself and three other guys we do that immaculate grid.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've seen that.
Speaker 6: And every time one of them puts Craig Kimbrel in their grid, I text back to them, I hate Craig Kimbrel.
Speaker 5: I don't really hate him.
Speaker 6: I just I just didn't like him as a Dodger and I thought he was terrible. And I'm not sad to see him go to the miners, even though I shouldn't wish those things. That's not that's not a good Christian thing to do. But nobody's everys.
Speaker 3: I was waiting for that perspective. No one's ever said that, Ja again, are you a good guy?
Speaker 5: I'm not even a good Catholic, Steve. I'm many years ago. My ticket has been punched, you said, yeah, long time, a long time ago, long time ago.
Speaker 4: Packers quarterback Jordan Love returned to practice today, and he is questionable for a Sunday's game versus the Titans.
Speaker 3: Another example of a guy who had to sit and wait and sit and wait, and by this time we still don't know how good he is. But he had some time to ye too by this time, and he had a guy who didn't want to teach him, but.
Speaker 5: That that was funny. That was funny.
Speaker 6: But uh, you know he's still on my fantasy football team.
Speaker 5: Who Jordan Love? So we'll see.
Speaker 6: I've got Jordan Love, I got Pooka Nakua who's on I R. I've got t Higgins who hasn't played a game yet.
Speaker 5: Who else? I've got like four injured, super injured guys.
Speaker 3: You haven't been here long enough to know that anybody he picks his got.
Speaker 6: I've got Saquon Bartley, who dropped that pass.
Speaker 5: But I did have I do have Alvin Kamara, who.
Speaker 6: Just had a massive, four touchdown, massive game on Sunday, so he's been a stud for me.
Speaker 5: There's that squirrel, the blind squirrel. All right, that's all I got. That's it.
Speaker 6: Okay, that was good. Yeah, we're good. Still watching the Dodger game. Will Will Smith went yard. So it's one zip the beating the the Marlins in the bottom.
Speaker 5: Of the second. You know, I what's his name?
Speaker 6: The guy Bobby Miller threw again yesterday, Steve, And I don't know why I didn't take the over again or twenty runs scored in that game yesterday.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well the Brewers close the Central did the right. Yeah, that's the third Central in four years. Yeah right, yep, good for them. All right, man, let's take our break word to come back.
Speaker 6: A Kyle Fogg Arizona Basketball two thousand and nine to twenty twelve, a star in China and just an overall good guy.
Speaker 5: He'll be joining us and over Scilla because he's going to answer that photo.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's on you. If he doesn't answer the phone, all right, we'll be right back.
Speaker 9: The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom.
Speaker 7: Of your dreams.
Speaker 9: Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 5: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 9: With type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorottle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel from my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 7: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 5: Arizona Health the.
Speaker 10: Leading match and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: It's award season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employee looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 5: At Nova Home Loans.
Speaker 12: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six, one eight, five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b k Ninez two nine or two Equal Housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lyndrixyn Credit rates and available loan programs subject to change the undubice.
Speaker 13: Did you know sports cards that memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantles for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie so for five points six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's showtime cards.
Speaker 8: Ready to say, but not sure where to begin. Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 14: That really insured and CUA gut bugs, termites, fees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Zone of past control. Get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Selling your home, want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about you. Flip the home you own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Oarmni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program.
Speaker 5: He has consistently been the.
Speaker 3: Top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 15: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez sound Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just Surgeon I on the Ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Jacin Sauce. Now on the phone, we have Kyle fog Farmer U of A who Star Kyle.
Speaker 5: How are you good?
Speaker 2: How you guys doing?
Speaker 5: We're doing? Hey, you're still in Tucson. Welcome home?
Speaker 2: Yeah, still in Tucson for a little while longer. It's almost time to head back out.
Speaker 5: Yes, nice. Nice. What are you doing these days?
Speaker 2: Let us know, still playing professional basketball overseas in China and right now it's all seasons, just out here at home in Tucson with the family.
Speaker 5: Very nice, very nice.
Speaker 6: I love hearing Kyle, this is jakins Ow's We've never met, but I I was. I was the guy in the computer who's giving you all your stats. So you need to say thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm forever grateful for that.
Speaker 6: I love to hear you say home when you're talking about Tucson. You came here, you've decided to stay here. Why Why is Tucson home?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know how it is as far as just city wise, you know, not a not a better place out there, as far as you know college town and you know, just to love and appreciative people you get out here, as well as just uh, you know, being out here for four years in college where some of the best times in my life and the really about built out here have just been incredible. So you know, moving out here was definitely a no brainer.
Speaker 3: So we were talking to begin the day here how Sanders Dane Sanders talks about the media hating on the some of the players now nowadays because of criticism and stuff. You know, back in the day, I think Luke gave you guys a luxury of talking to the media and being good dudes. And you were one of them because you understood we're not against you, We're just here to.
Speaker 7: Tell your story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, absolutely, I never had any problems at all. I also think you know, the media and you guys here are a lot you know better than they are in other places as far as you aren't just looking to put out you know, junk Dog and the players. You know, you're honest, but you're also you know, part of the family as well, you know what I mean. So you know, I think some of the guys in other places they might you know, throw some dirt on guys and they just just doesn't have that feel of how it is out here.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: You guys are definitely you have to get you have to do your job and get the story. But you're never doing anything without integrity. That's a big difference.
Speaker 3: Did you in all your travels, could you've travels all over the place, did you suffer one of those stories or two?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, you know, especially you know if you're you know you're playing well. You know everybody loves you, you're playing you're playing bad. Everybody's against you and wants to put the blame on you. So that's that's definitely come up. But there's a difference between you know, you're playing bad here and yeah, they have to put that out there, but they still are supportive, you know, fintas with the you know, we know he'll turn it around as far as here, but if you're overseas or anywhere else, it might be a get him out of here, you know.
Speaker 6: But you know, in the end, I mean, it's more about being fair or unfair, right if you I mean, if you play, if you play poor, do you expect somebody to call you out for playing poorly?
Speaker 5: Don't you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know we're we're we're out here, you know, getting free education. And now you know, even these guys are making a lot of money, so you know, you're hell to a higher thing, just like you guys get paid for your job. If you don't do a good job, guess what, you know, somebody's gonna come over you and tell you you need to pick it up. So yeah, obviously there's the right way to do that what you guys do here. But still everybody needs to be called out if they're you know, not doing their job the way they need to be doing.
Speaker 3: So kind I can easily say this, you know, having covered you back in the day, that you're a guy who bet on himself. Uh, I'm not sure if you wanted to prove people wrong, but you wanted to be prove yourself right, I.
Speaker 2: Think yeah, definitely a little bit of both. All the people who believe in you, you want to make them look good and all the people who you who don't, you want to make them, you know, look the type.
Speaker 5: You can say bad, you can say bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you want them to look stupid, and you want the people who believe in you look good. So you know, you put the work in and obviously, playing here it's like like I said, it's like home, it's like a family. So you want to make all those fans who are rooting for you feel good about going to the game. We're gonna lose. You know, you leave your heart out there and they appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Here along the way it kind of where did you where would you say you cut your first break after juve?
Speaker 5: Sorry, said I want to where would you say you.
Speaker 3: Cut your first break after juve. Juve doesn't include this your next break where you said, Okay, someone believes in you and you were going to be able to make some money, make some money and make you know, just have a career.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, yeah, I think you know, my agent was was big meeting him my first year out of college or second year, I should say, uh so, I guess he's kind of really the first person who believed in me as a pro. And then from there on it was just you know, him kind of helping me guide my career and making sure I'm taking the right opportunities. And then that made it just so I could just focus on basketball. So I wouldn't go for any team as per se as somebody who believed in me, but more of so just my agent Andrew kind of really guided my steps.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 6: So what's China been like? Because I, I mean, I've been there a couple of times. It's it's an incredibly interesting place. But you know, actually living there and having a career there, what you know, what have been the big adjustments for you and what do you like about being there?
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely a lot different than it is here obviously. I mean, when you're playing in Europe, you can get some type of you know, Western culture vibes, but being on the East, it's a it's a it's a whole lot different. I think the people there are are super loyal, super nice. Uh they really treat you in with open arms, you know. Uh, So that's definitely one of the favorite things I have. Just they have amazing fans, just like we have that and Tucson. But I think the drawbacks are just the language barrier there. You you know, you it's really hard to do simple things and get around and as far as ordering food or taking a DD so that's tough. But just culturally, you know, they have some incredible things out there, you know, seeing the great Walls and must see and then just the people are definitely some of the favorite things I like out there.
Speaker 5: I'm sure. I'm sure being a star basketball player helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that definitely have a little advantage going out there as as a basketball player than you would if you're kind of just doing the tourist thing.
Speaker 3: Are you are you even though it's a big place, you recognized everywhere you go, like you would be here.
Speaker 2: Not not as far as the country goes, but in my city, it's pretty pretty crazy as far as just fans. I think we definitely are the most supportive team in the league. And there's a lot of fans here who are from China and America who even come up to me today when I'm here, and just supporters of our team. So it is pretty you know, everywhere you go basically you kind of get get mobbed, which is you know, pros and cons of course, but definitely grateful for it.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you've been at you know, some other places overseas playing basketball. You know, every where you go, whether it's a different league or country or whatever, are there big differences in the game, and especially compared to the US game or you know, do you have to adjust to how the game is played or is it kind of the same. Is it just United States and overseas or is it overseas different ways that they play in different in different leagues in different countries.
Speaker 2: That's an incredible question, by the way. And every country has a different play style. So you know, Germany, for example, was super physical. A little slower but really physical. Best let you play out there. China is definitely the top teams are more fast paced, physical as well, but not as you know, pounded it inside as a place like Germany was. Spain was was extremely you know, high high competition, probably the best competition that I've seen in Europe. Very high intelligent coaches, high IQ players, So it's it's like almost like a chess match out there in Spain. So every country is a little bit different play styles, so you definitely have to adjust. And then it's also cool if you're playing in Spain you get to I was on one of the top teams, so we got to play against teams in Italy, France and Germany all over you know, Russia, so you get to see how those play styles are against your own. So every country definitely has a different.
Speaker 5: Type of style, yes, which really interesting it is.
Speaker 3: So tell me, well, you you kind of also made start them with TBT, right you you played and you want to a couple of those.
Speaker 5: How was that?
Speaker 3: And then maybe going away from that because you were you were doing really.
Speaker 2: Well in the m Yeah, yeah, that was an amazing experience with super super blessed to win a ridiculous four times in a row. I think obviously we had to throws on our roster from top to bottom, so that helped. But we just had a bunch of guys who were all about, you know, winning so that you know, we can get paid. And other teams were guys trying to show out, trying to get any contracts, or just trying to score a bunch of points or me and me, and I think that was a big difference. And then you know, once you win one, you get far you in two, then it's just like experience, you know, you can you can since these guys get nervous at the end. As far as that's we're just kind of calm the whole way. And that kind of goes with the same thing as far as us winning in China right now.
Speaker 3: As well, right now, let me let me go from there to you know, doing you doing very well, making some money in the TBT to kind of being the humanitarian And I can't remember and did the story a few years back where you were building houses or helping build houses somewhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, schools three pencils of Promise and a few locations. So yeah, I started, uh maybe like my third year out. You know, I read a book, you know, life change. The book called The Promise of a pencil by Adam Brown, who's the founder of the company, and he just talked about you know, even you know, twenty dollars makes a huge difference to people, and you know, just overseas, and you know, we're very grateful for taking a lot of things for granted here like education and and you know, having the opportunities that we have here and around the world. It's not like that. So you know, I've been began giving a lot as far as as much as I could when I was thirty year out and then you know that's only increased over time. And I definitely have huge plans in the future to continue, you know, doing my best to you know, give back and give up his opportunity that they may not have, you know, without you know, my hard work and the people in my life kind of working together to make a difference.
Speaker 5: We need more.
Speaker 6: Coyle Well exactly, we're talking to Kyle Fogg form Arizona player back in the back in the day.
Speaker 5: Kyle, it has been a while but also.
Speaker 6: Very successful pro Where does that come from, Kyle, Because at some point, yeah, something had to happen in your life or somebody had to be uh, you know, counsel you in your life and influence in your life to do those kinds of things, because there's so many people who get to position a position like yours who just don't and you do, where where did that come from?
Speaker 5: Do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean you're you're spot on once again. You definitely cannot do these things alone. And I've been super blessed. Obviously starts with my mom just you know, from an early age, I always you know, wanted to give her a better life. So that was kind of where seeing her work so hard and just to give me, you know, these opportunities, I wanted to really change that for her. And then you know, at Arizona, I was able to meet, you know, some of my closest friends who are doing investing in real estate and doing investing in like the stock market, and you know, I learned, you know, the importance of just saving your money and preparing for life after sports, and obviously the importance of giving as well. So it's just been like very you know, lucky and fortunate to have those people in my life to kind of help me out be you know, the moral compass as well as you know, show me what's possible if you continue to work hard and do the right things.
Speaker 5: Can you adopt me? Kyle? Please?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 6: You know, Kyle, he's only about I'm going to say, ten years from wearying diapers.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if you really want to do that.
Speaker 3: Along those lines, Kyle, because what do you what do you miss up about Luke? He's been gone maybe three four years now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously an emotional topic. He's just such a special person. I just still haven't to this day met somebody with that type of wur if you guys know what I mean by that. You know, he walks in the room and you guys both know like he just is just magnetic, you know what I mean, and and just such positive energy and treats everybody in incredibly And I think just obviously what I missed about and is just he would tell me as one of his last recluse, if not me last, just that he was proud of me. And you know, I kind of took that as a badge of honor not only just represent the universeit of Arizona the right way, but you know, representing him and that has made me, you know, I think twice before you're doing any knucklehead things you know, to do things the right way because you're representing him and you representing you know, the city of Tucson and University of Arizona. So it's definitely helped me become a better player. And another thing is just you know, I went to see him pretty much every year as he continued to get older. And what was crazy is like, even up until you know, very close to when he you know, went up theirs to be with the man upstairs, he was still sharp his attack. Just we had a few guys together at his house, which we usually did annually before you know, the coach o camp, and you know, he was being able to recall different games and memories that he had with all of us, and it was just crazy to see, you know, how sharp he was even all the way up until the.
Speaker 3: End, you know, right right in my book, the one thing that the player said, the relationship during the coaching was different than after you were gone, right, you were he was your coaching, and then once you were done, he was something else to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. He's just a guy you just want to make proud. You know. He just just really cared about all of us and and loved us. Honestly, so he I think he was a father figure to all those guys, you know, no matter what type of home you grew up in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's awesome. Now now I want you to adopt me. So you got you got two old guys adopted. Yeah, yeah, I got it. Yeah, I'm diapers are not already my near future, not my long future.
Speaker 3: So you're back. What's your favorite place to eat? We've got to go in about a minute or so. You come back for a reason, and which you know, you hang out somewhere, you eat somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's specific, but we're all we're always trying to try new you know spots. We love you know, Mexican food, my wife and I, so we're always trying to try anything from you know, all the spots that long Cantata or even any hole in the walls spots that you can get you know, down the street. I think you have just such a pleasure of restaurants here. But you know, most of my time to spend out to you over there, watching the guys with Tommy, who's incredible, by the way, and then just training and preparing myself for you know, another season.
Speaker 6: All right, when do you When do you leave? When do you head back out?
Speaker 2: I'll probably head out sometime next week. We have more practices, continue working and then it's time to go. So you guys caught me at the perfect time.
Speaker 3: But no, great, And what you're a great mentor for the guys too. I mean because you're you know, out of a lot of them are international. You're international. Now you'll get to see that it's not just the NBA. You can make it great somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I think a lot of guys don't don't realize that. And as far as the team goes, you know, I'm very excited about the team this year and they have They are one of the best group of guys top to bottom that I've I've seen, So I think these guys are going to have a good year.
Speaker 3: Great Kyle's usual, Thank you very much, man. Appreciate Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, appreciate you guys. Thank you so much about me. Well do it again?
Speaker 3: No great, great dude, Like I said yesterday, he's just like he gets it.
Speaker 5: Some dudes don't get it. But I don't think he's going to change your diapers. Well there's always the next guy.
Speaker 3: Maybe they can help me get a hold of give a hold of of our Boston Boston or Red Sox. Oh, Terry, Terry, Frank coda, won't you won't definitely not do that.
Speaker 5: He's not doing that. I get to find some successful older woman exactly. All right, Hey, that was great. That was a lot of fun. That was awesome.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's take our break. We're going to come back, close it out. We'd love to take your calls. Five two zero, four, one, six, seventy four to forty. We'll be here till just before the top of the hour, so be sure to come back.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 16: Hi, this is former while get Leman huntly with Arizona Hell. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort in You're Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment.
Speaker 7: And training to get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 16: Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmon. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial data available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 5: Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday in Tucson.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call.
Speaker 5: My friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency.
Speaker 3: These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 5: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 3: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell, or call him at five two.
Speaker 5: Zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 15: Breaking down all the exes at OHS. It's Steve Rivera and Jagins Salvias.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jagins Auf got Henry out of the controls at twenty minutes, I could spend another I could have spent another twenty minutes with.
Speaker 6: Kyle buck cut off for sure. He's you know, such a you know, an energetic guy. Again I say this every time we talk to one of these guys, right, who comes here, goes to school here, and digs in here, right, and you know, and a lot of these guys give back, they do stuff in the community, but more than anything, they speak well of Tucson.
Speaker 5: And I love that. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, we talked about it, because it's the Joe Nels, It's the Corey Williams, the Hunley's, then.
Speaker 6: Cecil, you know, the Bob Elliott's, right, all those guys, and not just football and basketball players, you know, Chrissy you know, uh uh, Chrissy perm you know stuff like that. Athletes who come here and find a place here, right, they decide this is where I want to be. I love hearing that again as somebody who's a native of Tucson. All right, we've got to call her. Let's go and take that. Hi, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, the next time you guys talk to college, just ask him if he thinks Chris Rogers will have stuck across the entire world. Not just kidding.
Speaker 6: This is why we have the screeners exactly, so I get it. But probably yes, too fuddy to fuddy uh for Chris Rogers.
Speaker 5: Then what do you ever do? The whole thing? You got suspended and came back. Yeah, the first guy ever, Yeah, I know he was talking to him and he came back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what are you gonna does that? What are you gonna do? But again, you'll get back to that point. I really like that. It's it's very cool, and you really feel like you're in the place. It's got, it's got something. Steve here, Well you came from somewhere here.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, you know you have this submission. You come here.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be here for three four years, five years, go on to the next place, the next place. Then you say why, you know why. I had a great opportunity as as you know, I covered the basketball team. And where am I going to go to cover basketball team like that?
Speaker 5: Right? No, just stay here and just stay here. You'll make what we make, not a whole lot of money.
Speaker 6: But enjoy what you're doing, right, right, I get that, right? Got another collar? No, we don't. Okay, you know, yeah, and I mean you know and actually you know when I was at the paper, you know, I interviewed some some places. One Fresno was one. Uh, Sam Bernardino was one Orlando was one and I'm like, wait a minute, what am I doing?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: And what am I doing? And my wife the same thing.
Speaker 6: You know, she interviewed at some places and you know where we both would have gone right.
Speaker 3: Well, to give you grief about this too, because your daughter, your daughter, who's been here, your most your family's been here, right, she's the one that's kind of coop, one of the first.
Speaker 6: I think she's already forgotten about us. So that's what happened. She's in San Diego right. In fact, I'm going to see her this weekend. Okay, we do have a caller. Let's take this. Hi, you're on there and eye on the ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was coed. Just wanted to congratulate you on your new life direction.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you boys.
Speaker 2: Nice to see something from the old stopping grounds doing well.
Speaker 5: Appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Who's this let's go?
Speaker 5: Oh Cole, what's up? Thank you for calling? Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I didn't recognize that away home from work man.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know what to tell Steve. Steve will do a good job for you. He'll he'll keep this thing going and keep the conversation going. But be sure to catch us once a month at the at the casine. Know, man, we'll be on we'll man.
Speaker 5: The show will be on the air from the casino.
Speaker 6: So once a month I'll still be doing and then if you you know, if you, if you, if you feel like it's worth your while, I'll be doing the Friday pick still. So uh well, yeah, as bad as they might be, well they might be on Thursday, they'll be on Thursday. They'll be on Thursday when we do it at the casino.
Speaker 2: Right, So I didn't know, Okay, I got that.
Speaker 6: Well, I appreciate it, and we appreciate all the you know, the times you've called in and stuff.
Speaker 5: That's it's been fun to have you.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of fun time to the guys from the from from the old guys like me.
Speaker 5: The old neighborhood man. Well you can call keep calling, yeah, keep calling called Steve.
Speaker 6: He's you know, he's he's he's still you still got an old Mexican sitting here.
Speaker 5: On the on the night from the hood.
Speaker 2: But all right, I will for sure, all.
Speaker 5: Right, thank you go look at all these violent moments.
Speaker 6: You know they're going to love you, Steve, because they helped so well, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Was on my own at the previous sea, the previous show for a while. That was that was okay, So we'll figure out.
Speaker 5: Why it's your first rodeo or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I have the guys. They were with me on Monday. We had some good conversations. You know, Matt used to play, so he kind of you know, he gives me a wink or not. The players used to get paid. Well, yeah, he used to get paid, I know. But he's betting on something obscure.
Speaker 6: Guys over here he's talked about he's got some money on a guy that.
Speaker 5: I've never heard.
Speaker 3: Another reason, another reason to think that the kids don't feel sorry for the kids. They got money from somewhere right, whether his mom and dad or somewhere exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: But it's uh no, you know, it'll be uh it'll be great, it'll it'll be great. Dodgers up six, Nothing will show. Hey did not get anything in his last bad In fact, he struck out.
Speaker 5: So did you announce that he did get the steel?
Speaker 6: He did get a steal, right, so he's got forty eight homers forty nine steels. So he's getting close, getting real close to getting this thing done. The Dodgers are The Dodgers are whacking the Marlins. Although they got beat last night eleven and nine. It was a crazy game. Been a lot of fun. It's been fun to watch, to do all this stuff, to watch games. We'll talk about stuff as we're on the air.
Speaker 3: You know, you were kind of keeping tabs before I brought you on because you're a sports guy. Yeah, I mean, this is just kind of hiding it a little bit more.
Speaker 6: Quite a bit it did, and you know, I felt like I got much more involved in the you know, both in the news media here here in town. You're going to the press conferences and practices and talking about all this stuff. But also just I paid a lot more attention to sports in general, right, because I mean, look, you and I we don't spend the whole day studying and talking about what we're going to talk about. But still there's a certain amount of preparation you got to do. And in terms of under knowing what's going on that day, right or knowing what's been going on now, sometimes we miss it, we miss big things, but other times, you know, we're breaking news or we're talking about stuff that is important. You know, we spent some time, for instance, talking about this whole thing going on to Tennessee with tickets and paying players and how that's going to affect you know, how that might affect uh, you know, Tucson and and the UVE football team in terms of are they going to start asking for putting, you know, a premium on ticket prices so that that money can go directly to athletes. I mean, you know, if one, if one place does it and it works for them, they're going to try it somewhere else. You know, you were asking about the guys that I you know, that I hang out with on my Wednesday lunch, and they're like, well, where it's at Tennessee doesn't necessarily work in Tucson, Arizona. If you start raising prices, there comes to time a point where you've got a diminishing return where you raise prices and people start staying away and you're not making up the ground that you think you're going to make up that you know, you're not going to keep everybody if you raise prices ten dollars, fifteen dollars, twenty dollars for somebody who's only paying one hundred dollars for their tickets or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, right.
Speaker 6: So you know, and again the point being having that kind of news and knowing these things are going on, and Steve, there's been so much going on, and I mean, think about it. I came in during COVID and nothing has been the same since then.
Speaker 5: Nothing has been what it.
Speaker 6: Was like before COVID, Right, yeah, no question, right, you know, the COVID changed everything. Then all of a sudden, you know, you're you're covering games from you don't even have to go to games anymore to cover games. Where we used to mock reporters, right, who wrote about a game that they didn't go to? We all did, right, And then you know, and then there was the whole Then the all the NIL stuff started, and the transfer portal started, and you know, all this shuffling around and realignment and all these things have all happened in this four year window since we've been on this sholve, So we've always had something to talk about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're always going to be you know, I joke about this too. I'm you know, I'm sixty years sixty five and things have changed so much. I'm kind of I say, I'm joking saying this. I'm glad I'm at the tail end of my career, but I have a few more years left because.
Speaker 5: It's gonna change again.
Speaker 3: It's gonna continue to change, and it's gonna be guys like find me and just saying what the hell is going on here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Because I don't.
Speaker 3: Envy the the the ads today and we talked to a lot of them, yea, who say, I don't know it's gonna change tomorrow and changing the week whatever.
Speaker 6: And the fine thing is we've got that perspective, Steve, where things were a certain way for so long for us. But then you see you see the young guys in the media, right justin Spears, Troy Hutchison, even Michael lev who's a little longer in the tooth than those guys, that this is the way it's been for them right since they've been young, right, and it's not the way it's been for us, And and you know, they've got a different perspective on it's kind of like this is all you know, this is the way it is. It's old had it's been like this for us for a long time, where you and I, you know, it's like you know where that get off? My long guy? You know, the old days were awesome. Well the new days are awesome too.
Speaker 3: They're just different, right right, No, No, And the guys here, like like Henry and that they're going to have to be and we've seen this. How how they're gonna have to carry the cameras, they have to do the interviews, they have to set up their positions. Back in the day, you had a camera guy, you set a spot. Now it's you're all on your own, multimedia type of things right where you have to do so many different things. You have to you know, transcribe right, you know, on deadlines. Just the change of it. I'm just glad I don't do it anymore as much as I.
Speaker 6: Use Well, yeah, we mean we said that a million times that you know, whatever you want to call what we do. In terms of being a part of the media, neither one of us would want to be beat writers. The you know, the way we were it was, I mean, it was fun when we did it. It was hard work when we did it. I know a lot of people have a hard time believing that it was hard work because we were at games and that that how hard work can that be? But you know, now we're kind of more on the fringe of it. We we kind of do, we kind of covered sort of on our own terms. Is what This is the way I would put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, you're right. Oh and here we are, yeah, here we are. Okay, what time is it? We good about a few private guys? Anybody want to call?
Speaker 7: Please do?
Speaker 3: We're almost out of time. Yeah, we have time for a call though, yep. Five two, four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 5: But uh, you know, and it's all changed.
Speaker 6: It's not just you know, I mean, we talk so much about because we're in tioce on Arizona, we talk so much about college athletics, but you know, majors, you know, major league sports have changed dramatically too. You've got you got quarterbacks making fifty million dollars a year and quarterbacks who aren't even all that good maybe fifty million dollars.
Speaker 3: You know, you're you're, you're you're talking to something I was gonna want to talk about coming in because of the Bryce the Brice. How many good quarterbacks are out there? And maybe Matt would know this or Henry today sick, there's not There are not very many good ones.
Speaker 6: You can I mean, we can name them right that you say that guy's worth Kirk Cousins, all right, had a great game.
Speaker 3: You know, is he worth that's what they're paying him. I don't know what they're paying him, but probably not.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean he got a well, I'll give you hundreds of millions of dollar contract one right now, Dak Yep, there's another guy and he just got his contract. It's a huge contract he got. He just got this massive contract. And his first time out with that contract, he gets beat and he didn't get I mean, the Cowboys got beat. What was it forty five to nineteen or something like that. It was terrible. And again, you know, you go back to what are we doing? You know, and and do these guys deserve that money? And why are they giving him that money? But you know, if you look at the fifty million dollars quarterbacks, and I don't have the list in front of me, but I'll say that probably three of them aren't worthy of the fifty million dollars. Do do you think.
Speaker 5: Georgia Love is worth that muchy?
Speaker 6: He hasn't done anything to have proven that he's that he's worthy of that money.
Speaker 5: Patrick Mahomes Sure? Who else?
Speaker 7: Joe Burrow?
Speaker 5: Joe Burrow? You know, yeah, I get yeah, Josh Lamar Jackson, but even Lamar Yeah, lo time MVP, I get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know he's gonna win some games, all the kid the guy that the rams, Donald Donald.
Speaker 6: Uh uh no, no, no, Matt Stafford Stafford, Okay, yeah, yeah, but you know it's crazy that these guys are getting that that kind of money and what do they you know, what are they what is the team getting back for that?
Speaker 5: Uh? You know, let's just say, you know, does Jared Goff deserve that kind of money? I don't know. Jared Goff's a good quarterback? Is he a great quarterback? I don't think so. Not yet. At least he might be.
Speaker 6: He got his team to the NFC championship, but then he but then he blew it.
Speaker 5: So I don't know. All right, Steve, one more day, pass man. We gotta get out of tomorrow. Another day. Yep, it's gotta come up with some guests. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I be back Thursday, and then Friday will be my last day and we'll uh, we'll try not to shed it to here.
Speaker 5: Okay, promise, I promise, all right, thanks for being here. We'll be back tomorrow