Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path Went Chile for part two of our series about the disappearance of Connie Smith. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up on what we talked about in our previous episode?
Speaker 2: Well, the victim of this Connie Smith, she went missing in Salisbury, Connecticut in July of nineteen fifty two. She was only ten years old and hailed from a very prominent family, as her paternal grandfather had once been the governor of Wyoming, and this was her first time at summer camp away from her family, because she mostly used to spend time on their family's ranch, and this was her first time hanging out with other kids. And while this has never been confirmed, there have been rumors that maybe she was bullied or tormented because she suffered a few injuries before she went missing, and while the cover stories that they were accidents, there's been speculation that she was not getting along well with the other kids at camp and maybe got so upset that she wanted to go home and contact her parents. Because the morning she went missing, while all the other campers were going to breakfast, Connie just decided to leave the campground and a whole bunch of witnesses saw her walking alone down a road towards the nearest town, but before she arrived there, she just vanished without a trace, and the most logical explanation is that she may have been picked up with someone who harmed her. But she has not been seen since, and while they have looked at a number of potential suspects over the years, they haven't found any evidence implicating anyone. Many years later, there would be a promising lead when the authorities got an anonymous letter that Connie was a unidentified child known only as Little Miss X, whose skeleton remains have been found in Arizona in nineteen fifty eight. They compared dental records at the time and were inclined to believe that it wasn't Connie, but there's been speculation that the dental testing back then was flawed, so they wanted to do DNA testing, But unfortunately, little Miss X is buried somewhere, and because records weren't kept, they don't know the exact spot she's buried at, so they've been unable to exhume her to do the DNA comparison. So unfortunately, after over seventy years, Connie is still a missing person that we don't know what happened to her. So this is one of those missing persons cases where the explanation for what actually happened in the victim seems fairly obvious. Since Connie was last seen attempting a hitchhike on Route forty four, it's likely that she was picked up by an unknown person who did her harm, and unfortunately, this happened to take place during a narrow window of time when no one else was around. If Connie was taken away in a vehicle, then she could have been murdered at an entirely different location outside the search area, which is why no one ever found her. But even so, there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the circumstances of why Connie wound up in this situation to begin with, and the case also has a number of interesting side stories which may or may not be connected. In missing children's cases, it's always frustrating when the victim is last seen at a location they had no reason to be at. One of the most famous examples of this is the disappearance of Asia Degree, which we briefly talked about on our last episode, as she inexplicably left her home in the middle of the night and was last seen walking down the road by motorists before she vanished. The circumstances here are a bit similar, except that it's not hard to dream up a logical reason for why Connie may have wanted to walk away from Camp Sloane. In the preceding twelve hours or so, she suffered a bruised tip, a bloody nose, and broken eyeglasses, and while the cover story is that these incidents were purely accidental, a number of people suspect that Connie was being violently bullied and just decided that enough was enough. It's really hard to get a handle on what exactly happened to Connie before she left the camp, as almost no details have ever been released publicly about the other girls she was sharing a tent with, and that's understandable since they were all miners and deserved to have their names kept private. But it's easy to come up with reasons why there might have been some friction, especially when you consider that this was the first time Connie had ever attended summer camp, and she had probably never spent this much time away from her family before. All of these other girls came from the big city, whereas Connie came from a wealthy, privileged family who lived on her large ranch, and she had a more tom boyish personality. You also have to factor in that Conyie was quite tall for her age and had developed earlier than normal at age ten, So you can see why she might have been an ideal target for a group of bullying mean girls.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I could absolutely see that.
Speaker 4: And I could see where as a young girl who's never been really a from your family and you're with kiddos that don't have a whole lot of similarities with you, feeling like the odd one out. You're more tomboyish, you come from a different ranching style, not the big city, And so I could see that kind of mean girl mentality where she might be the target of kid's abuse. I also could see where there's a chance that maybe there's a young counselor or something there who gets into an altercation with her. You know, they always have things like junior counselors and kids that are fifteen sixteen helping to lead a troop, and so who knows if there was an issue like that, or even worse, an adult who could have been targeting.
Speaker 3: Connie as well.
Speaker 4: But it's it's really interesting because if you remember us talking, she had had visit from family members and talked about actually wanting to stay longer.
Speaker 3: So what's really.
Speaker 4: Sad is it it sounds like this almost took a really sudden turn for her where I feel like, had she been a target, had she been bullied, especially physically hurt, when her family visited, I don't think she'd be asking to stay longer. I think she'd be like you to get me out of here. But she wanted to stay.
Speaker 2: More, yeah, exactly, which makes me wonder if something bad didn't happen until after her visit from her family. And it is kind of a shame that none of these other kids have spoken out publicly about their experiences with Connie. I mean, at the time, obviously, because they were miners, they wanted to keep their identity secret. But I've kind of hoped that as the years went on and they became adults, more of them would have opened up and confirmed that, yes, Connie was being treated badly or so and so did this to her. But surprisingly they'd been silent about it. So that's why I'm not willing to rule out the possibility that maybe she was being tormented by an adult, that maybe someone who worked for the camp may have been molesting her or something, and that's what caused her to run away. And because the predator was the only one who knew about this, that's why no one has ever found out about it.
Speaker 1: It's interesting how Connie gave her mother and grandmother the impression that she was having such a great time at camp. It is possible that she was just putting on a happy face to worrying them, particularly since Connie was reportedly seen crying right after they left during their last visit. And of course, Alice Walsh, one of the last witnesses to see Connie on the morning she disappeared, would report that Connie appeared to have been crying when she gave her directions to Lakeville. If Connie's eyeglasses were broken intentionally by her tent mates, then I'm guessing this was her breaking point, since it sounds like she could barely see anything at all without them. Since the kids were discouraged from using the telephone at camp, it seems pretty believable that Connie was heading into Lakeville in order to find a payphone to call her mother and planned to ask her to come pick her up and take her home. But I also could not overlook the fact that Connie was only about a half mile outside of Lakeville when she was seen sticking out her thumb, and given that she had already walked nearly a mile and a half by this point, it's a bit odd that she would elect a hitchhike when she was such a short distance away. Furthermore, she knocked on Alice Walsh's front door to ask for directions to Lakeville, So if Connie was planning to call her mother, she could have conceivably asked whal she used her phone, rather than finding a payphone in town. This is what makes me wonder if perhaps Connie was hitchhiking in hopes that somebody would give her a ride to her grandmother's house in Greenwich, as it was located about eighty miles south and her mother was spending the summer there. But on the other hand, Connie did leave all her extra clothing and belongings behind the camp, which seems to indicate that she was planning to return at some point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the part that's really sad, because you think about her trip to Alice Walsh's house. And so, like you said, why not just ask to use her home phone?
Speaker 3: Why would you continue to walk?
Speaker 4: You had the confidence to go and knock on Alice Walsh's front door, why not just say can you help me?
Speaker 3: Can you help me? Call my mom?
Speaker 4: I'm wondering, I'm wondering why why was she so set on this location that she needed to go to that was not convenient? It was not something we know her to be familiar with, and it was such a determined point it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's almost like, if it was not a modern case, I'd say it had someone connected with her own technology and said meet me there. But this is an older case that didn't happen in this one. So why why was it that she needed to get to Lakesville?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a big mystery. I mean, I have thought about the possibility that if she was being groomed by an adult, perhaps this person said leave the campgrounds and meet me in Lakeville. But they checked with all the witnesses there and no one recalled seeing her in the town that morning, So it does seem clear that something happened before she arrived. So you're thinking, if there was some predator who was grooming her, why would they pick her up before she even arrived in town unless they wanted to do something to her before she was seen by any more witnesses.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. If you're going to pick her up on the side of the road with the least amount of eyeballs on her, you've got less chance than any eye with seeing her once you go to town. I don't know how big the town was, but it sounds like you could then interact with a lot of these people. They could see your face, and then your chance of being identified as being the last person with her would kind of go up exponentially.
Speaker 2: Now I should mention that there's been speculation that Camp Sloane orchestrated some sort of cover up, especially since the camp director, Ernest Roberts, had a bit of a shady history. The camp was once implicated in a scandal when an eleven year old boy died there in nineteen forty after contracting septocemia. It turned out the camp's doctor at the time was not licensed to practice medicine, and since Roberts knew about this, he was arrested and received a fine in spite of this. Roberts was still working against the camp's director in nineteen fifty two and known for being very protective of his camp's image. Since Connie was first noticed to be missing at around eight forty five and Roberts did not notify the police for nearly three hours, I've seen presented is that Connie's bullying at the hands of her tent mates escalated so out of control that she wound up dead and everyone involved covered the whole thing up by hiding her body. But I don't find this likely at all. We have no fewer than nine eye witnesses placing Knnie outside Camp Sloan on Indian Mountain Road and Route forty four at the exact same time the other campers would have been at the mess hall having breakfast, so she clearly left of her own volition. While Connie's tentmates may have done something to compel her to walk away from the campground, they clearly had no involvement in her actual disappearance. Another theory I've seen pushed forward is that Connie was being molested by someone who worked at the camp, which is why she appeared to be so upset. That morning. Of course, that's certainly not impossible, but no evidence was ever found to support this theory.
Speaker 4: I've mentioned that already. I think it is a possibility. I think again, it could be an older camper. I think it could be an older youth helper because I remember I remember being fish teen in charge of kids at a summer camp, right, And it could be also. And remember she looks older than she is, So if a fifteen year old camp counselor thought she was thirteen, you know, is that is that something that could have been happening? And then you have the chance that maybe there's an adult employee at the camp.
Speaker 3: Now. To get away again, all you got to do is.
Speaker 4: Get off that campground and get to somebody, and she did that multiple times she was seen.
Speaker 3: But again, this is a ten year old.
Speaker 4: So I'm thinking, Okay, kiddo, get off the property, get to someone who's safe, who's not related to the camp, and ask for help. But at ten, does she have a safe person in Lakesville? Does she have a place they went on a field trip with camp, and she knows if I could just get back to that ice cream shop, if I could just get back to this place, I could call my mom. You know, I got to remind myself, this is a ten year old, so all of the times I go, why didn't you just tell someone or ask for help? We don't know what she was thinking in the of a child.
Speaker 1: I wish we knew more about the staff too. Like I can think back to I went to Bible camp when I was a little kid till from like I don't know, maybe six until the age of ten, and the last year that I went there, so I would have been the same age. I remember being in love with this camp counselor all the girls were. He was about sixteen, and everybody called him mister Jeff. And so I could see a situation or a scenario where somebody who all these young girls think is super attractive, but their children and that older individual could potentially groom them. Maybe it's a scenario like that. So I can totally see what you're saying, Ash, that makes complete sense. And I could see a scenario where something happened and she wasn't happy about it, and so she needed to get off the grounds of the camp in order to seek help. But she didn't feel safe calling from there, and she needed to get that physical distance in order to feel safe.
Speaker 2: That would make sense, Like it's never been specified if she had ever been to Lake Phill before. I know, ashe mentioned the possibility of a field trip, but I don't know if they ever did that. So since she had to stop past for directions, she probably was not familiar with the area and maybe didn't know anyone was there. But it could be, like you said, a thing where she was upset because this older tamp counselor she had a crush on was not interested in her. So she just decided she had to leave the campground and go anywhere, and it didn't really matter where.
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, or was he interested in her?
Speaker 4: And it went, it went, you know, quickly became a physical thing, and she became uncomfortable and said, what just happened?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: And again think about the time. This is back in the fifties, and so they're not going to be able to understand, no talk about any kind of inappropriate behavior because it was very hush hush, you didn't talk about it, and if you did talk about it, it was your fault. And so I could see here if she was like, oh, I love mister Jeff, he's so cute, and then mister Jeff says, ooh, I think you're cute too, Connie, And all of a sudden it goes from sweet to scary and then too dangerous and then to hurtful. I could see her really not knowing what else to do. I just have to get away. And so back then, remember she couldn't say, hey, this man just hurt me. This man made me feel uncomfortable. She would have never even heard what it means to be hurt by an adult. Right, all adults were trusted. You listen to your elders, You didn't talk back, you didn't talk bad about adults. So very very different times she was living in too.
Speaker 1: I totally get that. And I'm gonna share a story with you guys. That is like the creepiest story about my former neighbor who I was in love with. I was twelve years old, if he lived next door to my parents. He was in his last year of university, and I thought he was so smart and so hot. And I remember I would sit out in the summer and I would read books on the patio so that I could see him. He would lend me his books and we would talk about books because something we were both interested in. And then one day he invited me over to go like look at his library or whatever, and he was this I think he was twenty one at the time. I was twelve. He tried to hook up with me, and I remember just being like, oh my god, I'm in love with him, but like, I'm not ready for this. What is happening. This is wrong, and I ran away and I never thought out on my patio again. But you can see how a scenario with somebody who's older, they can manipulate a situation and they could potentially have put Connie in a situation that she just wasn't ready for and that no child should have been put in in the first place.
Speaker 2: That's very creepy. Do you know whatever happened to that guy? Did he ever get in trouble with the law?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. But the funny thing is his mom used to be my second grade teacher, and she used to be the mayor of where I grew up. So I was one of those weird things where like I literally never told anybody, because I don't think I've ever told anybody this story so weird that I just said it. This podcast yeah, it just it just triggered that memory for me. It wasn't like he was forceful or like whatever, But it's just the whole idea that a twenty one year old is going to try to make a move sexually on a child is just creepy enough as it is without any force being applied.
Speaker 4: I'm so thankful as a mother because Jewels, you're not alone. Thank you for sharing that. That's scary, but I mean, it happened, and so you're not alone. I mean I can think back to many inappropriate age gap relationships that I had. They didn't go anywhere, right, there was no physical movement, but there was definitely emotional grooming. And so I talk so openly with Reagan and my other baby. I talk so openly about hey, this is what is real, right, this is what is safe conversation with an adult. You are never to be viewed as super special where you need alone time with them, right, There's no reason that you need extra training with them alone, none of this. Because you know you're special, but no adult needs to single you out as so special that other students couldn't be around you, right, or other people couldn't be with you, or an older boy. As much as as cute as he is, there's no reason you need to be alone with him.
Speaker 3: And here's why.
Speaker 4: And it's sad we have to have those conversations. But again, in Connie's day, they weren't having those conversations.
Speaker 1: And I think it's so important that you're having those conversations with Reagan and that you're letting her know that that is not okay, because I could see a scenario where if that went down differently for me, and pressure was applied and force was used, that there would be that guilt and that shame and you wouldn't feel comfortable. It would be like I was in love with him. I did ABC and D, so maybe I was asking for it would have been the way that my twelve year old brain likely would have processed that. So I'm glad that nothing happened, but I'm so happy that today these conversations are being had with young girls and young women, that there are these people out here who will try to take advantage of you, and it can look like love, but it definitely isn't that. The fact of the matter is that the last confirmed sighting of Connie occurred on Route forty four, a half mile outside of Lakeville at eight forty five am. Even though the village was a pretty busy place at that time of the morning because a number of people were opening up their businesses, none of them remembered seeing Connie, so it's very likely that an unknown motorist picked up Connie before she made it to Lakeville. Another sad detail about this case is that many of the witnesses who saw or interacted with Connie after she left the camp that morning have expressed regret that they didn't do more to assist her. They pretty much all mistakenly assumed that Connie was a teenager and were genuinely surprised to learn that she was only ten years old. It probably should have been a major warning sign to see a ten year old hitchhiking, but from a brief glance at her, the witnesses probably thought she was old enough to fend for herself. You also have to remember that nineteen fift was simply a much different time, and a young girl being abducted or murdered while walking alone down a country road on a sunny morning was just not a thought which popped into most people's heads back then. Whatever happened, it sounds like there is no lack of effort to find Connie, and I imagine that if a disappearance like this took place today involving a girl from an affluent family whose grandfather was a former governor, it would be all over the media NonStop. Since Connie's parents were divorced during a time period, but that sort of thing was a lot more uncommon. There was some initial speculation that one parent may have kidnap Connie to keep her away from the other, but that theory doesn't make sense at all, since the Smith's divorce was pretty amicable, as both parents got to live on the same property and see Connie whenever they wanted. The ransom kidnapping theory also doesn't work, as it's very unlikely that anyone could have predicted Connie would leave the camp and be walking down the road alone on that particular morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: At first, I had asked, is there any chance that someone knew she was the governor's daughter and that you know, her granddaughter, and that you know, maybe she was going to be at this camp. But again, how the heck would they even know she had left the camp? All of these things just don't line up, and so it's either one of two things. To me. Somebody had told her you need to meet me in Lakeville, and it's an adult or an older person grooming her. You meet me there, I'm going to take you away. I'm gonna rescue you from this right, making her some kind of promise. I'll help you get home to your family. Whatever it is, someone's told her to go, or she's just set off ready to go. She doesn't have anyone she's meeting. She just has a goal to get to Lakeville and then has some other plan and she's abducted by an opportunistic offender and predator. I think the second one I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm torn between those two. But go back to what you said just a second ago, when you said many of these people either expressed or surely fell.
Speaker 3: Like they had failed, Connie.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, oh my lord, even with the information that I have today, there have been times as a woman, a mother, a sister, a daughter, that I've seen things and it's eaten me alive that i didn't say something. And then there's times that I've said something and I've looked like an absolute lunatic and so even today, having all this knowledge and being someone who's very aware of the realities of criminal behavior and victimization and things like that, I struggle to say, Hey, I'm going to do something more here, right, I'm going to make an assumption that something bad is going on here, and I'm going to say something.
Speaker 3: I've lost friends over it.
Speaker 4: I've separated, you know, Reagan from friends, and it's been heartbreaking. And sometimes I'm wrong and I feel like a fool. And then sometimes I don't say anything and I feel heartbroken. And so it's a hard thing now to navigate, but I do try to say things like I remember we had a little girl over and she was messaging this quote seventeen year old boy. She's like thirteen, And I called her mom and I said, we don't have a cell phone here. I don't mind that your baby has a cell phone to check in, but I wanted to know that she's supposedly messaging with an older boy. And I said, if it was me, I would want her cell phone and I would want to know who she was communicating with. Sure Enough, when that baby got home and mom got her phone, it was a twenty two year old boy who was grooming this thirteen year old child. And so you know, sometimes you say it you're right, sometimes you say it you're wrong, and sometimes you don't know how to say it. So back in the fifties, can you imagine you see this young kid crying walking down the road that you think is a teenager. We didn't talk about domestic violence, we didn't talk about sexual abuse, and we just didn't talk about trauma in general. So whatever was going on, I'm sure they said, like, that's their business, she'll figure it out and she's safe. So I mean, yes, would they feel guilt, but should they know it's it? They didn't know that something was going on, Nor did they know that they're likely was an opportunistic predator waiting around the corner.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely. Like this is not the first case I've seen involving missing children from like the nineteen forties or nineteen fifties where people just felt they should have done more where they saw a child in a situation that could have been potentially dangerous, but they just didn't think that way because it was a much more innocent time. I recently did a case about three boys who went missing from the nineteen fifties, and their parents were approached with the idea that they were allured by the child predator, and they flat out said, we had no idea that child predators or child molesters even existed back then, and the first time when they told us about it, because you just didn't learn about that stuff back in the fifties. And it's because of cases where children go missing and are harmed that they've now learned to be more cautious. This definitely seems like a crime up opportunity from a predator. So let's look at possible suspects. I guess the most prominent one is William Henry Redmond, whom we know already murdered one girl the year before Connie went missing, and allegedly confessed to killing at least three more girls which were never linked to them. Redman has been looked at as a possible suspect in numerous cold cases from the nineteen fifties involving young girls, including the unsolved nineteen fifty one disappearance of ten year old Beverly Potts, who vanished while attending a summer festival at a park in Cleveland. Redmond did have a nomadic lifestyle as a carnival worker during this time period, a profession which allowed him to travel to different states and be in the company of numerous potential victims to prey on. However, it's worth noting that by the time Connie disappeared, Redmond was already a wanted fugitive for the murder of Jane Marie Althoff, and no one could find him until he was tracked down in Nebraska over three decades later, so they'd never been able to determine if Redmond could have been in Connecticut in nineteen fifty two. The only reason Redmen even popped up on the radar as a potential suspect was because of a state trooper, Leo Turkhot, remembering an odd phone call he received from a man named William Dugan who said he was a former carnival worker who had information about Connie's disappearance. It's pretty amazing that Turcott was able to remember this phone call nearly thirty three years later, so kudos to him. But other than the former carnival worker connection, there really isn't much else to suggest that Redmond might have been the mysterious William Dugan. I would not be surprised at all if Redmond really was responsible for the mergers of three other girls. But there really isn't anything to conclusively prove or disprove that he cross paths with Connie, and the connection to him is tenuous at best. It is unfortunate that Redmond was already seriously ill by the time he was arrested, as this may have prevented information about additional crimes he committed from surfcing.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean, is it possible that he was linked to this. It's possible, but I think it's a very very loose connection. It's just interesting, right, But what's really intriguing to me is that you'll hear these cases where Okay, we know that there was this known child sex predator writer, there's this known assailant that has this mo that travels from here to hear to hear. But what's the scarier reality is that there's probably ten men just like him in that town. So it's like, you know, are they abusing and then killing the kids?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Are there people that are predating on our children in our communities?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: And so are there these people that we say, oh, was there any link to Connecticut? You know, how many people in Connecticut would have been prone to hurt somebody if given the opportunity. So, yes, it's possible, But my goodness, I bet there were thousands of very questionable men in that area, right in that state that they could have said, oh, we know this person's record, we know this person's record. And then I'm even more horrifying, what about the ones who have never been caught that are doing this to children? So Connie is, let's say taken and possibly killed, But that doesn't mean there weren't other children before that that were attacked and abused by this person and maybe not killed or raised such a media fuzz.
Speaker 1: It feels like Henry le Lucas, Like it isn't always Henry le.
Speaker 4: Lucas right right right where they're looking for someone who has this repetitive history.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we see that a lot in missing children's cases today, where investigators will check into the nose registered sex offenders living in the same area and then you find out, wow, that's a lot of sex offenders. I had no idea there were so many living together, that so many of them existed, And I can only imagine what it was like back then in the nineteen fifties where there was no sex offender registry. So you have a lot of people possibly living in this community who have harmed and abused children, but nobody knows about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I challenge everybody to go look up their address. It's horrifying. I'm like, oh.
Speaker 4: Wait, what a level three offender three doors down. That's adorable. You know, it's really really scary. And sometimes it's people you would not suspect. When we listen to the news and we're watching, you go oh wow, okay, And they're quite common and now today they're recognized. Back in the fifties, they didn't even recognize that. You wouldn't have gotten punished probably if you were caught hurting children. So children were part property and the myths and misconceptions around abuse of children was very disturbing back then. So, man, this is complicated now.
Speaker 1: One lead involving a potential suspect, which turned out to be a hoax, was the confession by Frederick Pope, who claimed that he ended accomplice Jack Walker, picked up Connie hitchhiking before Walker killed her, They buried her remains, and he killed Walker in retaliation. Well, I see no reason to believe this story is true, as the red flag was his claim that Connie wanted to ride back home to Wyoming. Given that Wyoming is nearly two thousand miles away from Connecticut, I find it a lot more likely that if Connie wanted to visit her parents, she would have asked for a ride to see her mother in Greenwich instead. It became a parent that Pope completely made the story up and that this Jack Walker never existed. But the only reason we've mentioned this again is because of the fact that Pope claimed that Connie's remains were buried in Arizona. Pope's confession took place in nineteen fifty three. Little Miss X's remains were discovered in Arizona five years later, and the Connecticut State Police received an anonymous letter from Colorado claiming little Miss X was Connie in nineteen sixty two, and as far as I know, the writer of the letter has never been identified. The Arizona connection is probably nothing more than a coincidence. And I know that Connie's case received a whole bunch of false tips, but this situation is pretty odd. A bunch of ten year anniversary articles were published about Connie's case during the summer of nineteen sixty two, so it's probably not surprising that the police got some new leads. But how did this letter writer know about little Miss X. These days, online sleus try to match up missing people and una identified decedents all the time by looking up their profile pages at websites like the Dough Network. But this was the pre internet world of nineteen sixty two, and Arizona and Connecticut are a great distance apart. So I wonder who might have had the knowledge about both of these cases, as I don't think little Miss X got nearly as much publicity as Connie's disappearance did. So now we have to talk more about little Miss X, which is quite an interesting unsolved mystery in its own right. For starters, I'm going to express my skepticism that little Miss X and CONNYE are one and the same. I know there's been a lot of debate about whether the methods used to rule Kanye out via dental records in nineteen sixty two were accurate, but even if you ignore all that, the facts just don't fit. Little Miss X was believed to have been dead approximately nine to eighteen months before her remains were found but kanye had been missing for over six years by that point. Unless someone abducted Kanyie and was holding her in captivity for a few years before she was killed, it doesn't make sense for the remains to be her, especially when you consider that Arizona is on the opposite side of the country. But the big question is if little Miss X isn't Connie, then.
Speaker 3: Who is she?
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, So little Miss X has a family too, Little Miss X, no matter what kind of background she had, she's somebody's person. And so the fact that there was this little unidentified body there and then we're also still missing Connie is incredibly traumatic. I don't think that little Miss X and Connie are the same person. My what I would give if we could compare them now, because we do have relatives who have signed up to have DNA on file four Connie, and so if little Miss X, if we had any kind of remnants of that that little girl in her remains, then you'd be able to conclusively say, because when there's that question mark, it's a lead still. But in my mind, this is not the same person.
Speaker 2: Well, the most bizarre aspect of this case is that even though little Miss X's remains were unclothed when she was found. The clothing suddenly appeared when the scene was searched again a short time later. On the surface, it appears like the clothing was planted there, and even if you believe investigators simply missed it during the initial search, the clothes still appeared to be way too big for Little Miss X and probably did not belong to her. So now we have to sag into our third unsolved cold case on this series of episodes, and that's the disappearances of Michael Griffin and Donnis Pinky Redman. They went missing eight months before Little Miss X was found, and man, I really wish there was more information out there about this one. The only sources I could find were their profile page is at the Charlie Project and the Dough Network, which only have brief summaries and leave me with so many questions. There are good reasons to believe there might be a connection to the Little Miss X case. A nail file case with the initials p R, which possibly stood for Pinky Redmen, were found near the scene. The clothing Pinky was last seen wearing seems similar to the clothes that were there and Michael's abandoned car was discovered in the nearby town of Williams. Little Miss X's profile page of the Dough Network says that Pinky was excluded as being her, but it doesn't specify how they determined that, since they've been unable to find little Miss X's remains and extract DNA from her. But I think they probably came to that conclusion based on the fact that little Miss X had reddish brown hair and may have been Hispanic, whereas Pinky was pale skinned and had strawberry blonde hair. However, if the clothing and nail file case found near Little Miss X's murder scene did belong to Pinky, then I have to believe the cases are connected, because it would otherwise be a massive coincidence that evidence from two separate crimes would be disposed of in that same remote area. I suppose an alternate explanation is that whoever was responsible for Pinky's disappearance read about the discovery of Little Miss X in the papers and then decided to plant Pinky's items at the scene, hoping that investigators would automatically assume they belonged to little Miss X. It's possible that little Miss X, Pinky Redman, and Michael Griffin were all murdered by the same person, but since Michael was never found, for all we know, perhaps he could have killed the two females and went on the run. But without more information about Michael and Pinky's cases, I can't make any conclusions. This whole story involving Little Miss X, Pinky, and Michael is a pretty intriguing mystery within a mystery, but I ultimately feel it doesn't have any connection to Connie's disappearance. All that being said, it sounds like investigators from the Coconino County Sheriff's Office were making a concerted effort to try and find Little Miss X's burial spots and recover her remains, and I definitely hope they're successful and are able to extract some DNA. Even though I don't believe she is Connie, little Miss X is still a murdered child, was gone unclaim for nearly seventy years, and extracting your DNA will go a long way at helping her get her name back.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely, It's this sad reality that without being claimed, without having any kind of identity, she was put in this kind of community burial grave. And so to know where that exactly is, to know where her little remains exactly are and not mixed in with other peoples. It's really difficult for people to do. And so my prayer would be that they could find that and then they could say, hey, listen, we need to run this these remains through a DNA database and see what we can find and see. I don't think they're going to match Connie either, but I do wonder is there any way it could be linked back to Pinky? Is there any way we could have a connection or identify who this little girl is so that she's not in this mass burial grave, that she has her own little headstone, and that she has recognition because she had a life. And like I said, I don't care what kind of family life she had or what kind of child she had become, you know, if she had run away, if she had become a thrown away child, those kinds of things. It's still a human being who had a name, who had a story, who had a legacy right and so to have her name would be profound. But at this time it seems like a really complicated effort to get to that, And I'm wondering, with all the unsolved more recent cases, are there still people pushing for that those the case that had the p on it for maybe linking it to Pinky. It's really really interesting and when we talk about this is kind of a remote area, what's the chances that these multiple different murders are having things dumped in this site if it's the same person. There is a chance if there's one person who's disposing of all of these individuals and their things because it's a place they felt safe, it's a place that they're familiar with, and they know that it's remote. And so while it would be odd to go and dump something after another one of your victims, you know, body has been found, would be really really risky. But what if they weren't you know, what if they weren't worried about that. What if they're to a point where they have no emotional attachment to what they're doing and they said, who cares, that's my dumping side, I'm gonna go dump some more and kind of laugh in the face of police.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And that sort of thing does happen where sometimes killers are familiar with certain areas, so they decided to dump all the remains of their victims and all their evidence there, And it would not surprise me if maybe they killed Little Miss X and then later killed Pinky and Michael, that they decided to come back to this location and dump the evidence there. But if they can find little Miss X's remains, I don't think it's impossible she could be identified because a couple of years ago they actually managed to identify another deceased child who was discovered in Arizona all the way back in nineteen sixty and went by the nickname little Miss Nobody, And in twenty twenty two, they used DNA testing to identify or as a missing child named Sharon Lee Diegos. So I do truly believe that if they can find little Miss X's remains, then they might have the necessary DNA to give her name back as well.
Speaker 1: So let's get back to discussing Connie Sadly, Like we said before, I think the truth about what happened to her is very simple. She crossed paths with a motorist on Route forty four who picked her up before she made it to Lakeville and ultimately harmed her after they drove away from the scene. I've seen some people push forward the theory that Connie could have accidentally been hit by a car and whoever was responsible took her body away from the scene and disposed of it before they were discovered. But I have my doubts this would have occurred without leaving any evidence behind or anyone seeing anything. So I think Connie voluntarily climbed into a vehicle with someone who pulled over to give her a ride. In twenty ten, author Michael C. Dooling published a book titled Clueless in New England, which not only covered Connie's case, but the nineteen forty six disappearance of eighteen year old Paula Jeane Weldon from Bennington, Vermont, and the nineteen thirty six disappearance and death of twenty two year old Catherine Hall from Lebanon Springs, New York. Since all three victims disappeared while hitchhiking, Julie explores the possibility that they were all murdered by the same killer, though I personally have my doubts considering the geographical and time differences, but I would not be surprised at all if Connie was specifically targeted by a predator who was under the mistaken impression that she was a teenager. That she was a teenager. Given how extensively the area surrounding Camp's Loan was searched at the time, it would not surprise me at all if Connie's body was disposed of at a location which was a great distance away. Sadly, there is no hard evidence pointing towards a specific suspect, so the person responsible could have been passing through the area and was long gone by the time the search for Connie began.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so one of two things could happen. This is someone who's local and is familiar with the fact that there's a summer camp there, and so they kind of troll that area waiting to see do any of the kids sneak off the property? Are there any kids that you know leave and they're walking. It's like someone who would be close to a school and watching for the kiddo who walks home by themselves, right, you know children are there, and you know that sometimes children leave the property because you drive by all the time, or you're scoping out that area waiting to see if there's a vulnerable child that leaves, and so it's very possible that's someone who's very familiar with the area. But again, it's all so very possible that it's a passerby on that busy route forty four who's they're driving. They see this kiddo, they thinks about thirteen, fourteen years old, she's all alone. In fact, if she looks distressed, even more vulnerable, and they pull over and they either physically apprehend her or they convince her that they'll help her get where she's going. Remember there's cases where a husband and wife are doing a crime together and they convince a child to get in because they're safe. There's times when you have, you know, a man who's not too much older and he's pulling over. There's someone who reminds her of her grandfather who pulls over. So as a ten year old, there's many, many circumstances that you could feel pretty safe, especially back in the fifties. Again, when we don't have social media telling you every ten minutes that another baby's been hurt, that you're safe, and that hey, I don't know where I'm going. I'm overwhelmed someone pulled over and said they would help me. I've asked so many people and I still don't know where I'm going, I'm going to get in this car, they seem safe, and or she's walking and she gets physically apprehended and simply can't defend herself.
Speaker 3: It's so sad.
Speaker 4: There's so many options that this case becomes one of those that's so open ended. It almost feels helpless in the time that's passed in the way that it could be someone close, it could be someone far away. It could be someone's first crime, it could be their ninth. You know, we just don't know. And so this is one of those cases where, my goodness, I wish that not as much time had passed so that we were maybe a to dig deeper and get some more information.
Speaker 2: Of course, the big mystery in this case will always be why Connie walked away from the camp to begin with, But it was probably just a combination of her being bullied or feeling homesick, and it was just a tragic coincidence that this ultimately led to her being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong person. But the good news is that even though over seventy years have passed, law enforcement has not given up on trying to solve this case, as it still gets covered in the local media from time to time. So if by chance, you happen to have any information on the disappearance of Connie Smith, where you happen to know anything about the identity of little Miss X, or the unsolved disappearances of Donnis, Pinky Redman and Michael Griffin for that matter, please contact the appropriate authorities. Jules Ashley any final thoughts in this case.
Speaker 4: I think the thing that hits hard about this case is it could be any of our children. This is a little girl who's going away to summer camp, and again it's the first summer that her routine is kind of, you know, not what it's been her whole life. This is his first summer. She's exploring this idea of being away at summer camp. And in fact, as a parent, you go to visit and you hear how exciting it is, how wonderful it is, and then she even wants to stay longer, Like I made the right decision sending my baby there. She's thriving, she's so happy, she's learning new things. This is good for her social and emotional growth. I'm so happy, and then the next thing, I know, my child's missing, and multiple people saw her. No one can tell me where she is, no one can tell me what happened. I can't imagine being the family surrounding this baby and going missing. She walked away from a camp at ten, thinking, Hey, I can get somewhere, I can get help for whatever I'm trying to do. She even had the guts to go and knock on someone's door and ask for help, show me how to get to this place. So she had a little plan in her ten year old mind, and no matter what she was running from, no matter who she needed, she had a plan. And somehow she was intercepted at that time. But my heart is broken for the family who said, we're going to give our baby a memory, We're going to give her an opportunity. We're going to really push her outside of her comfort zone and let her grow as a human being. I can't tell you how many times I do that and send my child off into the world, praying that she's safe and sound and so having so much fun. And I can't imagine getting a phone call or arriving and having someone say, we have no idea where she is. And that's exactly what happened here. Connie's never been found. So the really difficult thing here is that if she's not found right, yeah, deceased or alive, then what had been happening to her? How long was she kept alive? It creates such a tremendous grief journey that that family had to go on, and friends of Connie's family had to go on.
Speaker 3: Is she still alive? Is she being hurt? Is she scared?
Speaker 4: Is she calling for me? And I can't hear her? And by this point I would think that Connie is deceased, even of old age, even if she had been raised by somebody else. But it's pitiful to think that her family lived their lives wondering could she still be alive? What happened to her? And it's quote our fault because we sent our baby to this camp and trusted them to take care of her. It's no one's fault. They did what every parent does on a daily basis. They thought, I'm going to do something really exciting or cool or right for my child, and it just ended in an absolute tragedy.
Speaker 3: It's so so sad.
Speaker 1: It's literally one of those worst case scenarios that you hope never happens, but unfortunately, in this situation. It happened to Connie, and so her family is to deal with this trauma that just cycles around. They maybe get a tip, they get more information it's potentially connected to little Miss X, and then in the end they're left disappointed because they really get no new information. I really don't believe that she is little Miss X. I do think that it's interesting that the caller had that in about both cases, but I do tend to think that they are not one and the same, and that the forensic identologist or whomever examined her skull initially was correct. But it's so frustrating because you think, oh, my gosh, my child is going to the summer camp, What a wonderful experience they're going to have, And then when all these other parents get to go pick up their children, you're searching for your child who's missing, and you feel like they should have been protected by the camp, by the counselors, that somebody should have done more. But thinking about the time period, nobody thought that she would walk away from this camp and that some opportunistic offender would end up abducting her and like the ending her life. It's just such a sad case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We talked in our last episode about Connie's family, how her mother died at a very young age, which they think was because of a broken heart, and her father lived to a very old age up to the age of ninety seven before he passed away, and her brother went on to have a successful political career, but just two years ago he and his wife were killed in a car accident when he was eighty four years old. So there's just been so much tragedy in the family, and it is a shame that they never found out what happened to Connie, because I know that her father and her brother just never stopped publicizing it for the rest of their lives. I think that if this case had happened today, we might get more insight in what happened to her, because even though what happened to her at camp may not have played any role in her disappearance, I happened to think that in today's days of social media and people talking, that if she was being bullied, or if she had been groomed or harassed by anyone at the camp, then it would have eventually come out. There would have been a lot of gossip, a rumors at the very least, and we might have gotten more insight into why Connie left the campground in the first place, which is still a mystery within a mystery that it's very possible she was being sexually harassed or targeted by someone, but she may have decided to leave and then cross paths with an entirely different predator who was the one who killed her. But it is frustrating because in missing persons cases, you're often going to find a lot of mistaken eyewitness sightings, but they're pretty credible. In this case, we have a number of witnesses who corroborate each other and provide a timeline of Connie's path when she walked away from the campground that morning, but before she reached the town of Lakeville, she just vanished without a trace. So it seems that it's just bad luck that she may have been picked up in a vehicle by the wrong person and no one saw or heard anything, and then they managed to get away with it. And I do agree that Connie is unlikely to be little Miss X, but I do hope that the efforts are still going underway to try to recover Little Miss X's remains, because she is someone's child who deserves to be identified and get her name back. So I am glad that there's these cases are in conjunction to each other, because if people never mentioned Connie's case, then little miss X may have been long forgotten about long long time ago. But who knows. Yeah, maybe one of these days they will find Connie's remains and we'll finally get some resolution on what actually happened to her.
Speaker 1: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of unsolved mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the back, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 5: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jewels and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those.
Speaker 1: So we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin So until next time, be sure to bundle up, because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Call, Doller's comedy