Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI.
Speaker 2: AM six forty.
Speaker 3: From High Technology the Computer Store introducing Apple two, the easy to operate home computer. Just took it up to your TV to create dazzling Kelly displays, or.
Speaker 2: You can balance your checkbook.
Speaker 3: Kids can teach themselves arithmetic, or the family can invent their own pong games.
Speaker 4: The possibilities are endless.
Speaker 2: It's called Apple Too Good Personal Computer.
Speaker 3: See it at High Technology the Computer Store.
Speaker 2: Some commercials back in the day were just horrible. I am six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. Let's talk some tech with Marsha Caryer, who joins me in studio. Marshall is always great to see you. Thank you for coming out tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those ads were unbelievable, but hey, some of them that are going on now. I look at the commercial and I go, what are they saying?
Speaker 2: What are they selling that?
Speaker 4: There's one I think it's for Apple. We finally figured out and they have one of those blow up things that they put on the corner to show a store. It took me five times to figure out who who's that it was.
Speaker 2: It's been a while since I've been in one of my marketing classes in college, but one of the things that was instilled in me is it should be clear what the product is. Right, whatever it is, guns, butter widgets, doesn't matter. It should be clear what you're selling. And there are a lot of great commercials out there in the sense of oh they're funny, they're memorable, but I couldn't tell you what the product was and my life depended on it.
Speaker 4: And in my world, that's a big waste of money, huge waste of money, the agency buying, the time, just the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Commercials do matter, and they move us to make these purchases. And they're also products that we use which were free and have had all sorts of positive impacts on what we do. One of those was Skype. I swore by Skype for many, many years. There was a way that I used to actually call people once upon a time. I used it for interviews, especially international interviews, because Skype preceded all the zoom and stuff that you saw today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you were cutting edge. I was cutting edge. I used it all the time. It worked in the early days. Remember, it would sometimes get along sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know, it was a forerunner of all that we take for granted today with Zoom and Microsoft Teams or Google Hangouts or whatever. Skype's going away.
Speaker 4: Now, I have a question for you before we talk about this. How important is it other than your work, which is different just for personal use? How important is video calling for you?
Speaker 2: I would it's it's kind of important, if only because when you say video calling in a general sense, it's important because there are times where I'll use Google what was Google Duo with my wife and other family members. It has its place. I don't have a need for it in my life personally professionally all day, every day.
Speaker 4: Right right, Professionally we use it, and unfortunately Skype is going away. And remember Skype also had a chat feature. A lot of these don't have I, for example, Zoom, which I don't really recommend for personal use to anybody that is a business product. I don't know the chat feature. You can't watch the chat while you're doing the video.
Speaker 2: That never made any says to me, Why is it that I have to pop out the chat and take my attention away from the meeting to read the chat. No one has figured out how to integrate it.
Speaker 4: It should be like lower third right, maybe yes, I don't know, but that I don't recommend that well, was starting out with something negative. Let me start with something I like, because, by the way, I am not a fan. When my husband and I Google Duo, which was the predecessor, let me get into Google Meet. It was the predecessor to Google Meet. Google Meet was developed as a really simple call solution for Android users, and it worked also on iOS, which was great because my husband's on an iPhone and I'm on Android. And when I traveled, I could video call my husband. But we'd plan it ahead of time, you know, like we'd text each other ahead. I'm gonna call it. I can. Just the worst thing in the world I can possibly imagine is my phone ringing in a face pop up wanting to look at me too.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 4: Horrifying.
Speaker 2: But the younger generation they swear by it. I think it's like almost an intrusion, invasion of privacy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and let's see we've set up permission for each other. No thank you, no no, no, no no no. But Google Meet is easy. We all have Google accounts. It is so simple. You can do it on a mac, you can do it on a PC. It's a friendlier Zoom.
Speaker 2: I think I know the iPhone people, but what about FaceTime.
Speaker 4: Well, we can talk about FaceTime and somebody who has an iPhone can send you a link to join a FaceTime call.
Speaker 2: But it's not usable by non non iOS people.
Speaker 4: Yes people, yeah so, And also there's this big foot push on some of these platforms to have like minimum fifty two people, the maximum fifty two people, or go up to one hundred people. I don't know about you, but what was the biggest video call you've ever been on.
Speaker 2: I've been on some with with hundreds No oh yeah, yeaheah. But it's more like it was a media person It was almost like a town hall type thing where you didn't necessarily know everyone. It wasn't a meeting in that regard. Guard But credit to Zoom for helping create that ecosystem. Skype obviously was a Microsoft product. It's going away. Zoom was not connected to any system per se. Teams is I guess going to be the the the solution, which it's going to be.
Speaker 4: The new Microsoft solution, and Teams is kind of clunky.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's very clunky. I choose not to use it.
Speaker 4: I don't use it. I only use it when somebody sends me a link that we're going to have a meeting on teams.
Speaker 2: Right and they've chosen because if I have a choice, I'm not using teams exactly.
Speaker 4: I will choose generally Google Meet. I mean, it's just my choice.
Speaker 2: Most companies that I deal with, including full disclosure, iHeart they use teams. That's the only time I'm going to use teams because someone else has said we got to use teams for this meeting. That's it.
Speaker 4: Well, you have to think about big companies and software usage and their it to apartments and the things they protect for and maybe there's something using Google Meat that they're not prepared for. But they have got a plan to make teams the safest way for you to do this, and we have to realize that in companies. So that's why I'm directing my stuff to just regular people right now. I mean Skype. I used to use it all the time to call my family in England, and it was like putting money in a payphone and I'd put in like five dollars and I'd work it off, you know, a couple of pennies here, a couple of pennies there, and in one day, my balance disappeared like I then I finally had been put in twenty bucks and it disappeared, and nobody let me know about it. Changing the rules, I.
Speaker 2: Mean they went to free Skype calling, or at least.
Speaker 4: Skype they wanted more money it expired at the end of the month, or a subscription.
Speaker 2: I had a Skype number for a quick second where you could make a Skype call to an actual line on the other end.
Speaker 4: You could do that from the desktop app too, though without number.
Speaker 2: But when I was doing it for BBC interviews, you know, I'm talking to Scotland and it was free. So it's served a business purpose for.
Speaker 4: Me, absolutely absolutely, But so I gave up on it, you know when they took my money away. You know, I hold grudges, they Apple iPod, I hold grudges.
Speaker 2: So what is going to happen? Then? For users like me who like Skype there's utility in Skype, don't want to go to teams.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends how much do you trust Facebook.
Speaker 2: I don't trust anybody anything, definitely don't trust Facebook. But I think I know where you're going with this. Please continue.
Speaker 4: Well, Facebook has Facebook Messenger and there are a lot of young people who really swear by that they keep that open on their phone all the time. It's just like their messaging app. More of the advanced people are using WhatsApp, which is an absolutely brilliant app. I even figured how to backdoor into it. I had somebody I put the app on my phone, did not upload my contacts, but it had my phone number and I had somebody from England call me, so then they became a contact. So as long as somebody calls me first or calls me with somebody else's number and I tap on that, they still don't have my contact list.
Speaker 2: That's good because I'm always leary of joining some sort of communications service and they present it as convenience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to help you out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just upload your context. You don't have to input yourself like, don't thank you.
Speaker 4: Just like both of us, we've got names in our contact list who really don't want their phone numbers out out in the wild. And well mo, if you want to try WhatsApp, I will call you on WhatsApp and once you have my number, then you can start. You can call me, you can text me numbers. I can text them to you, and you can build your directory.
Speaker 2: That's why I choose it. It's usually build it out my house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like to build it myself, and I have, you know, over the years, I have like about ten people I use on WhatsApp. The video is perfect, you can do large pictures, you can upload and it's video or text.
Speaker 2: Does that work well as well on a desktop as it would up because I use scott Skype from the desktop because I'm doing like work, presentations or interviews, and I wouldn't use it on my phone so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I I don't use it on the desktop. Okay, So you know, and you know what I tell you. Unless I've tested it myself, I'm not going to recommend or tell you give you any bs here. I have never done that, so I could not recommend it either way.
Speaker 2: All right, when we come back, let's talk about some of the the smaller providers. We know about Google five, we know about Verizon, we know about T Mobile. But there's some smaller ones which have entered the space, and I don't want to use their names yet. How viable, how trustworthy, how dependable are they? And we want to get some of your recommendations.
Speaker 4: They're called MVN o's and you'll be surprised when you hear which are actually mvn os.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly. Marsha Coler joins me in studio ka if I Am six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: Keeping the comments comment keeping again. The world's number one selling home computer is now in a family pack, the Commodore sixty four plus Dataka Said and Joystick four software programs, including introduction to Basic I Teach Yourself program for the whole family. The Commodore sixty four family packing a value of seven hundred dollars by just four and ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, if I AM six forty is Later with mo Kelly. We're still teching with Marshall Colliery. I turned it into a verb. I like that.
Speaker 4: I do. I like that.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about mobile providers.
Speaker 4: Okay, well interesting, do you ever think about the people who are not Verizon, T, Mobile AT and T Do you ever think about it? I mean, there are all these other companies and and you know, there's a Cricket, and there's Metro by T Mobile, and there's all these different ones, and you wind that, of course the one that Brian Reynolds advertises so successfully. What they're called these little guys are m v n o's, and that stands for Mobile Virtual Network Operators. Basically, they just lease time with traditional MOBAL network operations to buy network access at a wholesale costs because they say they're going to buy this amount from them and then set their own retail prices. This is kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I got so pissed off at AT and T. Can I say that we're not going to dump it? Pissed off? Yeah? I just it was horrible. They kept raising their bill and raising their bill, and it was just and literally they lied to me on the phone. It was horrible. So I said, I have to get out of here. I have to get out of here. And it's a it was a landline that used to be my office line. I said, But I can't give up the number. So I went and I started researching all of this. What's interesting is the reason on some of the networks you get throttled when you reach a certain number of gigabytes or something like that, is because they have network priority. Maybe Cricket is paying more than Google Fi. Yeah, that's right. Google Fi is an MVNO. They have the best providers, and they have a prime their own seamless network switching technology, and it toggles between all the major networks ensuring that it's the best signal possible.
Speaker 2: And for people who don't know, Let's say you had Sprint back in the day, and you know there were dead spots right when you had Sprint. When you have Google Fi, it will find the best signal. It might be Verizon in this area, it might be T Mobile in another area. It could be AT and T in another area. That's how Google Fi usually works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so all these different ones, believe it or not, Verizon in AT and T put on face masks and then give themselves new brand names to sound friendly. Why yes, Infinity Mobile, this is Verizon TWIGB T ting Page plus Spectrum Mobile. No Spectrum Mobile, that's Verizon's key m vn os.
Speaker 2: So if I have Spectrum Mobile, I'm not actually getting away from Verizon, right? Is this kind of like the difference between a Toyota and Alexis, a Nissan and an Infinity.
Speaker 4: AT n T. Key m vn os include consumer, Cellular, Cricket, Freedom, Pop, Free, up Mobile, straight Talk, track phone such bloney were they're taking advantage of us. But I have to tell you, I studied, I looked, and besides, I thought Ryan Reynolds was kind of funny. And their website is written mint Mobile. Mint Mobile is written in such plain language, and they're so customer centric. And they had a plan for five gigabytes a month, which is not enough for me. But this is going to be a phone that sits in my house so that I maintain this phone number that I've had since I had my own business, and unlimited talk and texts for fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 2: What about hidden fees or added on?
Speaker 4: None? None, they mean fifteen dollars done. I paid for a whole year. There were tech was tax on it. I paid for a whole year and it was legit two hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: That's hard to pass up if you're not tied to any carrier. Fifteen dollars a month, unlimited talk and text.
Speaker 4: And let me just tell you for those of you said, well, you know they're sharing the bandwidth and no, they buy the bandwidth, think about the company you're dealing with. I turned off the Wi Fi on that phone and I had them send me a simchip. I like a simchip better than an eSIM because you can change the phone easily. That's a lesson for another day, but real quick I did. If you ever go to Google type in Internet speed test, something comes up, you tap on it and you can test your speed. I had five hundred, five hundred and eighteen point zero megabits per second download and fifty five point four upload. That's unheard of.
Speaker 2: That's unreal. You'd have to spend one hundred and fifty two hundred dollars a month to get done.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and it was better than my T Mobile account. And they get their dat their lines from the T Mobile network.
Speaker 2: Go figure.
Speaker 4: You can bring your own phone, you can get a phone with it. It's worthwhile looking into these different ones. Metro by T Mobile. They're unbelievable. But you have to see who they get their data plan from. And you know, I was shocked by AT and T. So these are fifteen dollars a month. Save your money. There's other places where you can spend it.
Speaker 2: That's the main takeaway. Save your money, Save your money.
Speaker 4: I'm keeping T Mobile because it has unlimited data in England, and I visit my family Lisa, and I don't like futson around with day passes.
Speaker 2: All these things have to fit your personal lifestyle. That's what it really comes down to.
Speaker 4: And there's an over fifty five plan on T Mobile. It's in flight for people who are over fifty five. Yes, I don't want to hear that. I don't want to hear that it's only forty dollars a month because I'd qualify.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear that.
Speaker 4: For two lines it's eighty dollars.
Speaker 2: You have to have two lines so I can get that in a r and get discounts at Denny's and what else do you know?
Speaker 4: I won't even of course I'm not old enough. But AARP sends me their emails, right, I won't even open them.
Speaker 2: I refuse that stuff in the trash. I rebuke thee.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, the magazine.
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't answer this un solicited. I am not old enough for AARP. I don't care what your record show.
Speaker 4: And if you ever take a good look at the magazine, every story in the magazine is to scare you on someone who's going to take advantage of you. And how to avoid scams and do just they're trying to stay acting like they're trying to save your bacon.
Speaker 2: True story. I have never opened a page in the magazine because I refuse to allow that in my spirit, I'm not reading anything. Aarp I usually changed the channel when they have the Colonial Pen insurance commercials. It's like, nope, I refuse to acknowledge. What are you laughing at, Stefan? That was gonna be my My guess is colonial Pen? Well, this is not funny. I'm talking serious here. Have an emotional moment here.
Speaker 4: Just wait till you get post postcards from the Neptune Society.
Speaker 2: I haven't got that yet. Thank goodness. We got to get out of here. Martia Carlier is always great to see you.
Speaker 4: Always good to see you, mo. And it's a fun time. Let's enjoy our tech this week.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty