Speaker 1: Before we dive in. Here's another show you can enjoy in the True Story Fmfamily of Entertainment podcast.
Speaker 2: Meet and Zinnia. You are being very pult to someone who is attempting to kill us her wife's saffron.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm wildly, madly in love with you and.
Speaker 2: Their best friend, Goldie Glad. We didn't miss all the fun. Swords in hand, they defend their city from the worst of humanity.
Speaker 4: I am Lord Buxton Blue, What are you Electric?
Speaker 5: Hairg Virgil Walcot Vicious Suad.
Speaker 2: Follow their adventures on the Swashbuckling Ladies Debate Society audio drama podcast, available now at true story dot fm.
Speaker 1: Slash Swashbuckling, Hey Pete, Ever, wonder what Steven Spielberg's favorite film is?
Speaker 6: You know, Andy, I've heard he loves classics like Lawrence of Arabia, Meme, and Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: Imagine chatting with him about why those films resonate with him so much.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what we do on our podcast, Movies We Like. We've had incredible guests like actress Dee Wallace, cinematographer Eric Measureschmidt, director Steve Miner, and former Disney animators Tom and Tony Bancroft.
Speaker 1: They share their favorite films and the impact they've had on their careers, offering fascinating insights into the craftsmanship and storytelling techniques that make these movies so special.
Speaker 6: If you're curious about the magic behind the scenes, subscribe to Movies We Like from True Story FM on your favorite podcast app. New episodes are released on the fourth Monday of each month with early access for our members.
Speaker 1: Join us on Movies we Like as we explore the movies we all like with the people who make them.
Speaker 6: And Stephen, our people will call your people.
Speaker 1: Let's make this happen, BIVI subscribe today.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to this episode of Superhero Ethics. Friends. You know, I do my best to keep the podcasts of the Star Wars universe and the podcast of the Superhero Ethics universe separate. But right now with a TV show and Or, I am finding that that show is bringing up all the kind of questions that we love to talk about here on Superhero Ethics, and so this week I want to rebroadcast the episode we did on the first couple episodes of season two of and Or. You may be a Star Wars fan who's already heard that, which case, my apologies, but you get an extra week this week to listen to your other favorite podcasts. But if you haven't watched the show, I just want to say, even if you're not a Star Wars fan, even if you're not a science fiction fan, this is one of the most unscience fiction things I have ever seen. If you like political thrillers, if you like adventure, if you like things if you like things like V for Vendetta that bring up hard questions about what it means to fight back about tyranny and how that can go right or go wrong. And basically, as long as you don't mind that when the police shoot the protesters they're using red lasers instead of bullets, it's basically the same. There are great issues explored. Even if you haven't watched it, I hope you enjoy our coverage. Of course, we're gonna continue to keep bringing you great new episodes, but there's a lot going on this summer. As you may have heard, I have a new Padawan coming in just a few months, and so every now and then we are gonna give you one of these rebroadcasts, but we will have new content for the rest of this month, So please enjoy this rebroadcast. I hope you check out all of our and or coverage on Star Wars Universe podcast and most importantly, may the Force be with you. Hello, Welcome to this episode of Star Wars Generations podcast. Today we are talking about some of the best television a lot of us have ever seen, in Star Wars or just in anything. Today we're talking about the thing it's probably gonna get far less Emmy nominations that it should. Today, we're talking about a thing that I think has changed me as a fan and as a person, and we're you know, now, they're thoroughly overhyped it all here if you people had similar thoughts, is myself, Matthew himself, Alex herself, Aaron not Aaron? Aaron all here to talk about? And or Season two episodes seven, eight, and nine. What did you guys think?
Speaker 7: I loved it.
Speaker 5: I was unable to sleep last night because I was just like, my brain was spinning.
Speaker 8: I stayed up weight to watch it, and I was just like, Wow, that might have just been the peak of television.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was so much that happened, so much we want to talk about so much for our characters, so much in terms of, like any previous doubts that Tony Gilroy isn't just making a very stern comment on what's happening in the world today is gone. And when I don't think it was bad or boring. Am I the only one who's left completely not remembering anything from episode seven because I feel like all it was really doing was kind of like the lead up to the important ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the only thing I remember from the first episode was they went to that weird like healer woman who I think could use the force to some level. Yeah, and she was like feeling his like laser burn and like because they would make it feel better.
Speaker 8: And I think the point of the episode is really just to like.
Speaker 5: Establish that Andrew was now living on Yavin his like vibe, and like you said, kind of put all the characters where they needed to be for the insanity that wouldn't sue in episode eight.
Speaker 4: I agree. I think the one that's seen especially we're talking about, was brilliant foreshadowing and also really helping to drive home the connections between Cassian and then Jennerso in Rogue one, because basically you have a for sensitive person who's not really a Jedi, but is for sensitive reaching out to him and telling him that he has a purpose and that he has a mission, which is exactly what Shirrich did for Jin in Rogue one. You know, I just thought that, Yeah, it just sets up all these little things that sets up more about where Cyril is, and like, I don't think any of it was bad, and I think it probably added to episode eight nine. It's just an episode eight nine. HiT's so damn hard that that that's kind of what we left with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really enjoyed episode seven.
Speaker 7: I liked seeing like I think in the second batch of episodes we got like some of Cassie and honestly, no, yeah, we've gotten a good amount of Cassie and Bigs's relationship throughout the whole show. But I always enjoy like seeing how it's changed. Yeah, and like that they take the time to like re kind of establish the main characters and where they are emotionally or mentally.
Speaker 3: So I do appreciate that.
Speaker 7: They do some like kind of world building or catch up. Almost in the first episode, I did notice like most of the way through the episode, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, where's Mamathama.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like she just like wasn't really if I'm remembering correctly, she wasn't in that episode very much.
Speaker 4: And was almost I don't think she was ever in episode eight. The second episode it was very much. That second episode was almost entirely on Gorman, uh if not actually entirely on Gorman. And then the third episode obviously was not was you know, almost entirely back on Chorus except.
Speaker 8: The ninth episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah for some so, I mean the first times it was still interesting.
Speaker 8: I mean again, it like established that even a year in that, like, you know, Indoor and Picks were like, you know, you know, having a happy relationship and it was clearly in love. I was a little confused. Well, I guess, I mean it's been a year, I guess, but the last we saw.
Speaker 4: Is it.
Speaker 5: I could be remembering wrong because there are a lot of characters in Indoors to forgive me, but the guy who showed up at the begind of that episode, who what is his name?
Speaker 8: Was an M Mark Marks? Oh Willman, not an M woman.
Speaker 5: No, see the one that like at the end of the previous arc, like him and Sagerera where we're in haling Gas. Yes, yeah, so he doesn't want to tell and Or and them there he's with Sagerera, but now Homeboy's just back and like no Saw at all.
Speaker 8: So I was a little confusing, but I guess it has been a year.
Speaker 4: I think at this point we're supposed to think and you know, if you've seen rebels, this reinforced some of the books we've read have talked about reinforced this. At this point, there is a lot of movement and connection between the Phoenix Group, Sagerero's group, and Luthen's group. And at this point it's almost that most of the other rebel groups are all kind of starting to unify, uh you know at Yavin with with Phoenix group and uh you know those others and saus group kind of being a part of that. Saw I was being kind of outside of it, but with Luthen's group very much being the outsiders. Also, am I is Wilman Brosso's son, No, because Cassian has a strong connection to him and I wouldnt quite sure.
Speaker 7: Why he his father was killed in the season. He was like the owner of the shop if I remember correctly.
Speaker 3: The shop that sounds right Fix worked at.
Speaker 4: Also, my camera's gone out for which I apologize, but go on.
Speaker 5: Right, they're mean, they're all like Ferox Survivors as the family, where there's just kind they see themselves as family, like Stone and Sky.
Speaker 4: That makes sense, Stone and Skuy. But I think, you know, I think there's a lot of details we're skipping over, and you're right, like I'd be curious to hear more about sort of where he goes with Saw and then what happens to him. But I think we're just we're just focusing on the things that that are most important, you.
Speaker 8: Know, right, that's fair.
Speaker 4: You know, I was thinking that they're not doing a lot of the kind of fan service drop ins that a lot of the Felony shows have gotten known for. And while I mostly like those like I was definitely hoping for at some point during the the end of season of episode three of episode nine, but the third episode is arc I kept waiting for some little mention of the Phoenix crew or anyone else from Rebels and for those who don't know, we'll get the folk expansion of that why And.
Speaker 8: We didn't get it.
Speaker 4: But I was actually totally okay with that, you know, like it it felt like this was a complete, full story they told and we know that we know that connection. We don't need it to have been even more spelled out.
Speaker 5: I was more abum though that uh Masabida was not presiding over the Senate when when that species.
Speaker 8: Who is that weird dude who keeps presiding over the Senate? I just touched him as.
Speaker 4: Yet yet another kind of like lowered down the list. I think part of the point was supposed to be that this wasn't thought to be like a major session, you know, like in the actual Senate, when it's not thought to be a big important vote. A lot of times the vice President isn't there, the majority leader might not be there. It'd be like the third and fourth in command of the different Senate factions. So that's why I took that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a fair point, Realko.
Speaker 5: Before we get into the to the the I under said the eight and nine of the MEI and I want to say one more thing on in episode seven was just that the I will say, the setup has done a thing really well, like showing them returning to Gorman and how like I really appreciate how the uh the guy checking in and or remembered him from the previous encounter and was like she will report you like, I'm gonna try and keep you off the book what she would like, she is being loyal to the empire basically, and like you kind of see like the characters be left behind in the past, like how they've grown folder but also a little more frantic and just like the the State of Gorman, like I mean episode seven, and obviously the whole beginning of episode eight was just meant to build that anxiety and anxiety you know, you know it's coming, but like I just, oh my god, I wanted to peel my skin off.
Speaker 8: I was so anxious.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's horrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my ADHD means that I often have to be doing something else while I'm watching something, and I feel like I can still totally connect, but you know, I'm like playing chess on my phone or something like that. Episode seven, I didn't look at my phone much. Episode eight nine, I just was so riveted. And you're right, they did so much, So let's go into that. Normally we talk about the different plot lines for different characters, but these were really kind of the big, heavy hitter episodes where everything comes together, and I think it's easier to just talk about like them. Episode by episodes. So on episode eight, a couple characters had individual journeys, but there was obviously just this larger story. We see the massacre, the the beginnings of and in somebody's the culmination of what Modo Mapha names as the genocide of the Gorman people that now the Empire is doing openly. What do you think that episode? How did that hit you?
Speaker 3: To me?
Speaker 7: It's like if you've seen Game of Thrones, yes, uh, Battle of the Bastards anybody, Yeah, like that that is how I felt like.
Speaker 3: I was just.
Speaker 7: Excuse me, I was so locked in. I was just like jaw open.
Speaker 3: So stressed, but like.
Speaker 7: It just felt so.
Speaker 3: Believable and real, and it didn't go the way I thought it was gonna go. I mean, the masker itself, that's exactly what I thought was gonna happen.
Speaker 7: The stuff with Dedron and cyreal though, that surprised me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we'll definitely get into their story.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, the actual massacre, So the lead up, I mean it was diabolical, but it's like, yeah, this is the type of like underhanded, shady shit that like countries in the world have done, and like it allows like governments to commit atrocities, and it was just it was because you could see it, like you could see it from the outside perspective, happening in school motion and the like the old man leader whose name I do not know on Gorman was like it's a this is a trap.
Speaker 8: And you can just see I mean, just oh my god.
Speaker 5: It was just so diabolical to like to to let them all back into the square to know what a protests will happen, then send in the the what the green, the rookie like enforcers, knowing something's gonna go wrong, and then plant to sniper to incite the riot, and like the planting of the sniper.
Speaker 8: I don't know, it's like a direct call out.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's obviously conspiracy theories about the Donald Trump assassination attempt, and that felt like maybe a slight reference towards that, but also like maybe it's just like we're putting a sniper out here to incite this riot, and like it's just it makes you call in a question so much of like what you know about, like you know, the riots and things that go on in the world, like how much was orchestrated because.
Speaker 8: At the end of the day, what the what the icebe did.
Speaker 5: Wasn't that implausible to happen in our world as well, which I think made it.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I just that was just uh uh novel end of the massacre. I just want to know.
Speaker 5: I do think I was not hard correct because in the end he picked going after and or but Cyril.
Speaker 4: Let's stick of Let's stick of a thumbtack in Cyril. I want to get to that, but I want to talk about like the build up first, because You're right, there were so many things that was referencing, and I think, I think if you're reminded of things in our own life, we're very much supposed to. This is you know, uh, police treatment of black lives matter and trying to like herd them into specific areas and incite violence. This is what's been happening in Palestine and Gaza. But it also was much deeper than that, much further back than that. For me when I heard when I heard that phrase the galaxy is watching, we are gore, the galaxy is watching. For me, what was immediately. I'm a big student of the sixties and sixties activism, and one of the most famous moments of that it was in nineteen sixty eight. In late August August thirtieth, there was a huge protest outside the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, and it led to what was often referred to as a police riot. This was what an official commission looking into it, that the police rioted in terms of going so overboard in their violence. And I don't think anyone was killed, but a lot of people were horribly injured, mass arrests and the same kind of tactics. And during that the people were shouting the whole world is watching. And that's a phrase that comes originally from a Bob Dylan song, but it becomes something that was said. And part of the idea of it was because the cameras were on them, and the idea was that you know, the world is going to see what you're doing and see how wrong it is. And there's an irony about that that I'll talk about a second, but I just wanted to start there that like, they clearly knew exactly what they were doing in terms of like referencing stuff from modern day, but also being like, look, we can look back in history. I mean they can look it back to you know, go back even a hundreds of years to how like you know, union protests and early civil rights protests and stuff like that. There was so much evidence of government officials trying to incite violence or trying to do things to so they can say, look, these people are just so violent. The phrase they kept using of they don't respect imperial norms. You know, all of this is yes, there's hyperspace, yes there's laser guns, but this is exactly our own world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And like I've covered many protests over the years for the Star Tribune and other news and stuff, and like, I mean, this is very much like what it feels like like in the middle of these protests.
Speaker 8: Like it's just like.
Speaker 5: There's like this almost like baseline of like just like everyone is like, you know, sticking together, and like there's this camaraderie like you know when they're singing together, but also there's like that there's like fear built up, and all it takes is one one pushed the wrong way, one person to make a choice, and it's just like because everyone's still on edge, it just sparks this group reaction. And they created the perfect basically the perfect storm for that to happen. Like they they the protesters were being peaceful until the ISB decided to fire the shot to to spark it. They just knew, but that was gonna happen. There was no doubt that that's what would happens. That's what happens, and I've seen firsthand in real life protests.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, like that was always the plan of this whole thing, you know, the whole barricading the plaza and then opening it back up and walling the people in, like that was always the plan, which is just like so chilling.
Speaker 3: Like the one.
Speaker 7: Officer said to Dedra, he said, like I'm the trigger, you're the finger.
Speaker 3: Make sure you're available.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was so good. He then puts so much the guilt the responsibility on her shoulders, which I think we'll talk about her story in a minute. Yeah, uh, just for that though, I thought. Also, what was really brilliant is like that protest was pretty much nonviolent. There was one guy who threw a rock, and I think there was a couple lot of people sort of shoving and stuff like that, but nothing lethal. But then once the shooting started, a lot of people had brought weapons to that and like that, you know, that doesn't make anything. The ice B was doing okay by any means, but it also just further shows like this is how quick it was to instigate because a lot of those people were coming expecting violence. You know, they weren't going to start it, and you know, the ICEBA was completely wrong to start it, but that was the tinder. You know, everything was ready to burn, and that's exactly what the empire had been doing. That's why they'd been inciting all this, so that they would get more people who wanted to bring weapons and have all this stuff. Because then, and in some ways to me, that was one of the greatest ironies of this was the reason why people were shouting in Chicago the whole world is watching is that it was true, and that's considered by a lot of people one of the real sort of breaking point moments of people starting to decide. With the long haired hippies, I think maybe Vietnam is not actually the best thing, because we saw this horrible violence by the police towards nonviolent protesters. But here and I thought there was so much chilling as that they were saying, this world's a little bit worse because none of the press were actually covering it properly. All the press covered it with this propaganda spin of the terrorists they inside the violence. They did that, and I thought the way they showed that was just so chilling and so brilliant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: It was kind of it was so dystopian to like have the newsfeed and like see multiple reporters saying one thing and then it's like immediately pans to like the worst possible situation.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: Well, the news organizations there too, were also very much like under the control of the empire. It was very absolutely state owned media, which is obviously so different from the free press that He's supposed to exist. Like those those news organizations were there specifically to like and called them propaganda organizations, were there to basically put out like propaganda and false narratives to fuel you know, the the galactic uninterested or uneducated or just too far away. I mean like Sierra's mother obviously we saw earlier like the foreshadowing of like him telling her to stop watching you know, the hollow net, basically like stop watching the propaganda because everyone was just meant to believe that Gorman was this aggress service, rebellious aggressor that was the uh, the problem and not the not the Empire.
Speaker 4: So I don't think all of them were supposed to be stayed owned. I think there definitely is a state owned media arm at this point in the Empire, but I think some of them were supposed to be like in theory independent but like kind of Fox News or Bright Bart or things like that. Yeah, I think, especially because like and we'll talk a lot more later, like there's obvious connections between there and what's happening in Israel and in Gaza. And I think that's to me, that's what really that brought up is about the how much the media continues to spin it as this like war against the terrorists and the the uprising instead of looking at like, no, this is a genocide of an oppressed people kind of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just see, like I mean when it comes to like, you know, obviously working in the newsroom, like it comes to like those organizations like Fox News and Bright Part, like, I mean, it's they're not state owned, but they might as well be because they were just willingly putting out false information versus like you know, other organizations like actually try and put facts out there. So to me, those organizations that were being shown in the episode were very much the kind that like just aren't don't care about the truth, don't care about anything, but just like you know, feeding the same lies and crap to their listeners.
Speaker 8: That causes things like the Empire.
Speaker 5: To continue to grow and build and be trusted because people are being given false information. Yeah, I feel very strongly about all the new shit infuriating.
Speaker 3: Good reason you should.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about the Syra and deadrove it all, Cyril and dedrove it all. What do you think?
Speaker 3: I was not expecting any of that to happen.
Speaker 7: When Cyril got put in the closet with a bunch of droids, I really thought they were gonna kill him.
Speaker 3: I was like, what is this fucker doing in here?
Speaker 7: And then he just snuck out, ran up the stairs, went in and she was like, hey, how's it going?
Speaker 3: And he was like what the fuck did you do? He's like is this true? Did you fucking do this? Like how long did you know?
Speaker 7: And she's just like whoa, wha whoa very aggressive, but then he like grabs her shirt and like really pulls her and she starts going like ow, like, Cyril, you're hurting me, and it just got worse from there.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna go into like.
Speaker 7: Graphic graphic detail, but he nearly chokes her.
Speaker 3: Out basically.
Speaker 7: And then just runs away and leaves into the crowd.
Speaker 8: I think the Zero.
Speaker 5: I mean, over the two years or whatever he was on Gorman like actually very much sympathized with the Gorman people, and like Saw, I think from the beginning, from the very beginning, Cyril was was like he was buying into the kool aid, but he was misguided. He was very misguided, but he truly believed in like justice, like at his heart what he like, he believed in this like you know, like people should not be you know, like you know, his whole arc begins and Andrew season one with like people are killed. He wants to find and Or because he killed two workers. And I think that initially Cirio sees the empire as like order, law and order. They're like, you know, and like again, many many people in our world believe that like you know, the government or the police or law and order like that is like.
Speaker 8: That is justice. They don't see the broken system.
Speaker 5: And I think it took Zero all this time being here, seeing all the lies, feeling he was being lied to, you know, he was he was like basically cozying up to to the monster.
Speaker 8: He like couldn't see it fully and.
Speaker 5: Then finally he could and it just he hit a breaking point. But like you could see before that moment, like when he was talking with the the old man to be the other Gorman Rebels, he was like trying to give them intel, trying to help them and save them, like and then like Aaron said, I mean, he's just like he realized what was happening. He was been lied to and used, and uh, clearly Danger was struggling with the whole plan as it was, like she clearly had very big moral misgivings, but like still went through with it at the end, which is design, you know, but a fascists And Sira was like, I can like I cannot fucking believe this.
Speaker 8: I cannot believe you, like you know.
Speaker 5: He like she tried to hold him in, She tried to be like, you just listen to me, you do what I tell you, and then he like turned it on her, and she looked so surprised that she could not even imagine that he was doing that to her. And he rightfully walks down. Honestly, what he like assaulting her was not great at all. It was very hard to watch. But when he walked out at her, I was like, good for you, dude.
Speaker 4: M h yeah. I I absolutely loved how his story ended, and I thought it was so perfect. And you know, I love Le Miserabla and Javert is my favorite character. And some people think the story would be great if Javert realizes how wrong he is joins Javal Jean Valjean and the barricades. But that's not how that story ends. The story ends with the person who has clung all of his life to this belief in the system that the system cracks and he sees that it's not there, that it's not as solid as the stars in the sky, and he just can't take that, and I and and ends his life. And you know, a way I saw what Cyril was doing was a mirror of that, a version of that, though a little bit different, because, as you said, he his star point was these two men under my protection, under my watch, were killed. I have to solve that. And then you know, yeah, like it would have been kind of fun to see him join the rebellion and pick up but I didn't want that. I was like, no, he I don't think he's earned that, but also just like that doesn't that would feel a little bit too, you know, Christmas like wrapped up with a bow, And I think it makes so much more sense than instead when he's like, well, everything I thought about the Emperor is wrong. Everyone had thought about this woman I worshiped and was in love with was wrong. But there's the person who I know, Fuck the Empire, fuck the security Bureau. That is a man who in his mind is a murderer who killed two people without provocation because again he doesn't know the full story, and so I'm going to try to That's who I'm just gonna vent all of my anger and hate against. And it gets him killed by the person he wanted to help in the end, but who could only see hims having betrayed them because he had. It's so tragic and so perfect, and I loved it.
Speaker 7: I remembered the older man that leads Gorman.
Speaker 3: His name is.
Speaker 5: Rylands, and Errol, unbeknownst in his final act to attack end Or also saves Dedre.
Speaker 8: Yeah, unbeknownst to him.
Speaker 7: Because she would be honest with you, I thought that.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, maybe Cyril saw that.
Speaker 5: For a second, I don't know if he saw anything except for just and Or's face.
Speaker 8: He saw Andor's face.
Speaker 5: I think he just saw red and was like, here's the chaos among all this insanity, Like here's the man I've been hunting, Like Matthew said, like it's his own sense of justice. He has followed his own belief of the sense of justice for so long. He's not afraid to go outside the rules sometimes. And you know, in the end, it was that like like, you know, thank you Matthew. By the way, I'm gonna have like Wayne Mad's in my head all day now.
Speaker 4: But I mean, don't know how you can watch this or not.
Speaker 5: But about the songs, I mean, but uh, but yeah, I agree, it's the same kind of arc and like he you know, the fact that he was he was killed by what's his name, Aaron, Yeah.
Speaker 8: It's very fitting. And like the fact that like Cyril kind of had the upper handed.
Speaker 5: And er and that kind of was good to kill him. Like in Or lost, I was the one fight kind of so I'm just like outright lose. Yeah, It's just I don't know. I liked I liked Cerus a very tragic character, interesting story, and like obviously after in the aftermath, Danger was having a like a fucking panic attack, and like I couldn't tell who it was because she just had committed genocide or had lost Cyril or both.
Speaker 3: Literally the nerve. I wrote this down.
Speaker 7: I was like the nerve to have a panic attack when you just incited a riot and planned a massacre, Go fuck yourself. Nobody cares about your mental health.
Speaker 4: I mean, mental health still is a thing. Though that would be a thing, it would happen, But I get you. I'm not sympathetic for her for it, No, yeah, exactly. I heard an interview with Denise Goff, the actress who plays Dedra, and it just kind of brought it all perfectly into my head because she talked about how when she first like read the scripts, she was really worried because she thought it was going to have kind of the Hollywood story of like Cyril would decide to leave the Empire and she loved him so much that she would do the same, and she's like, that's not who Dedra is, And she said she was really happy like that Dedra gets to this moment where she does not choose her love, she chooses the empire. She chooses advancement, and you know, I like that, Like, I think it's easy to put the world into There are people who are you know, totally cold and evil and Grandma Tarkan and will pay any price and have no conscience, or people like Cyril who will break and do something else. And she's kind of in the middle where she does the Like to me, she's the person who you're right, she plans all this because she but in her mind she wants it to happen over there, you know, she doesn't want to have to see it directly. And to me, this was about her having to see firsthand, both in terms of the slaughter of the Gorman people, but also even more directly, the slaughter of the guy she loved, you know, that she left, that he left her and he died because of it. And Yeah, to me, it was a really like I know, sympathy for her. I was like, I kind of like, yeah, this is what you did. This is your chickens coming home to roost. Like you did this, but you wanted it to be just a theoretical thing you were doing. Now this blood is literally on your hands.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I want to say about Cyril, part of me when he was killed with that.
Speaker 3: Headshot, which was diabolical.
Speaker 7: I really hoped it was just a stray shot, Like I wanted his death to be so meaningless just fuck him honestly, like I wrote in my notes, I was like that headshot was crazy, but honestly, like abusers get what they deserve, I guess like my man got put down, But I did also like you know, the emotional beat and like closure that it was Ryland's who killed him, right, but I.
Speaker 4: Really heard how this happened. Who didn't want them to carry weapons? Who?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And like I don't know, I also think that like Dadra, I mean so when I if you remember when when I was at celebration, the actress literally deniqually said much less girl Boss this season, much more fascist.
Speaker 8: And that is exactly what it was.
Speaker 5: And like, but people I think often forget, which I think is a genus of dangerous character. Is that like, like you said, Matthew, sure there are people in the world, like a Grandma of Tarkan who was just cold calculating, Like those people are real, But the majority of people, the people that make the system work, make this like disgusting, horrible empire work or the people like Dedra who have morals, has that second thought, it's like this is wrong, but believes enough in the system or is ambitious enough, wants to climb enough. But she ignores and they people ignore those morals, they ignore that voice in their head and do what they're told anyway, follow those those horrible orders, even they know they're wrong. So Dedre I feel like puts like, again, no sympathy for her, but she puts a human, a truly human face to this rise and to this system because without people like her, nothing can get done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's right true.
Speaker 8: Also, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: In the actual filming of this, they did not shy away from showing like in the be end of that riot, actual like people getting shot.
Speaker 8: Like it was not like.
Speaker 5: Blasters, you know, people far away like that that starts and there's like people being executed at point blank range by these like imperial So yeah, it was scary and like the stormtroopers coming through. I was feeling suffocated and like I just the way they filmed it made you feel like you were in the middle of this being attacked and closed in.
Speaker 8: It's horrifying.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you noticed this it's so hard not to notice something that's not there. But there was almost no music during that whole time.
Speaker 8: No, I did notice that, and I.
Speaker 4: Thought that was very much part of it. It was just the technical side of this was so brilliantly done. Like the writing is great, but just every little detail like that was so lovingly put together.
Speaker 8: Tony Gooy gets it.
Speaker 7: He really does.
Speaker 8: He really gots it.
Speaker 3: He really does.
Speaker 4: Just for one other things on that, like there was that one moment where someone one of the rebels throws something at some of the stormtroopers. I'm like, Okay, it's gonna be like a laser grenade or something like that, but you just hear the sound of glass breaking and then fire, and I was like, oh, that was just a straight up Molotov cocktail. Like that was literally just the thing that that rioters throw at cops when they're when they're you know, being just you know, shot and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was just the the wall of Okay, this is a different world and it's different from ours, but you can still find the connection, Like that wall is getting so fin with this show. Yeah, and I absolutely love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was very hard to see, but there was a brief moment like in the crowd where you could see one of the people hanging out like the bottles with the rags in them, and it was very very it was very quick, like I barely noticed it, but like they did have a flash of that of like them being handed out to people.
Speaker 3: I noticed that because I was like, what's the Like, that's weird.
Speaker 5: I just I watched that episode and I had to actually pause before I could start the next one because I just was like, it was so I was just sitting with.
Speaker 8: So much.
Speaker 5: And before we move on episode nine, I think we should just quickly mentioned the fact that I was aware how powerful security droids were.
Speaker 8: My god, something out of a nightmare. That was horrifying. Yeah, they were just like they were ragdalling people, like.
Speaker 4: Just mowing through Mandalorian. In those flashback scenes showing why Den Jarren is so afraid of droids, had already kind of raised the bar, you know, cause you know me, I always thought the Roger Roger and the you know, the prequel droids were kind of silly, even the more you know battle ones, but that kind of like raised the bar. I know, these can be scary, And then this came along and said, hold my beer, and like just the fact that you know that woman who'd been such an important part of the movement and his name unfortunately I forget as well. I think she's the daughter of the leader we've been talking about is And like, yeah, again, is she gonna die some big important death. No, A guy just like kicks a you know, road road barricade thing and it hits her and she flies like thirty feet through the air.
Speaker 5: And it's her head on the turt ground and eyes it's insane, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Like I kept waiting for them to have weapons, but they didn't have weapons. They didn't need them.
Speaker 7: They were just terrifying, just monstrous.
Speaker 5: And we got to see how we did eventually get to see how K tw came to be. We got the one that it's so far that K two's origin story is that he was going to kill and or on Gorman and then he was just like get saved in the last second by by William Is.
Speaker 3: That his name will No, that was a different guy.
Speaker 8: Oh the other guy.
Speaker 7: The other guy's not the guy that shot Cinta.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, you're right.
Speaker 4: And again I love that because it was like there was a little bit of redemption for him. But and Or's like, I kind of recognize you. Like it's not this big like tie it all together moment. It's just like, yeah, these were all the same people, but it felt like there was just always like they could have gone one step further into tropes and they didn't, and they kept just trusting us to know how this all worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, as I said, the whole world wasn't watching. Necessarily, the whole galaxy wasn't watching. But oh, go ahead, run it back.
Speaker 3: I actually have something to say about Wilman. Yeah, please, let's talk about mother fucker. Wherever they go.
Speaker 7: He's just like, I'm deeply in love and she means everything to me and I can't leave without her and I have to.
Speaker 3: Be by her.
Speaker 7: And it's like you the lifestyle you live for one, you're a fugitive, that's where you started from.
Speaker 3: And now you've put excuse.
Speaker 7: Me, now you have proceeded to like rebel slash terrorist and bro like you can't always like you gotta move on, Like you can't live this lifestyle and.
Speaker 3: Be this way.
Speaker 7: So when he went back for that girl, I was, I was with Cassion, I was like bunkum bomp.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I'm having a lot of trouble with words.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, words are hard.
Speaker 7: When he was telling Cassian like I have to go, and Cassian was like, no, you don't like, I was like, honestly, Cass just bonk him on the head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lights out.
Speaker 4: I mean, at least like the woman he's with this time, isn't some like dowe eyed girl he got caught up in this like she's the voice of Radio Free Gorman. She is as dedicated to fight as he is, maybe even more so. But yeah, he was kind of the James c. Kirk of the Rebel Alliance for these couple of years. I thought that was an interesting little detail.
Speaker 7: I was very happy to see he survived, though, because that was something that I was very nervous about from the start, because we had talked earlier in the season about like every three episode arc it wouldn't be surprising if we had like a known character like die somehow, because we lost Braso in the first Yeah and the first Yeah Santa, and I was like, don't take the boy, don't do it, don't do it, and they didn't do it.
Speaker 4: It was not my top five of people who would lose this this arc.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't think me either.
Speaker 7: I really wanted it to be Dedra, like I knew Cassian wouldn't do.
Speaker 3: It, but I was like, can somebody else get to it? Like I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean a reminder, none of these characters are in Rogue one, so like, theoretically.
Speaker 7: Of course, that doesn't mean they all have to die. We didn't see every single rebel in Rogue one or Imperial officer, I know, but I.
Speaker 5: Feel like Dandre is big enough, and Luther or Bing other they probably at least one of them are dying in the next arc, I would predict.
Speaker 3: There's not more episodes, are there more?
Speaker 4: Any of them could have been on the Death Star.
Speaker 5: This is not the end, Eric, We're in two BB Why there's one arc next week?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we only have three more episodes left, which I'm so mad about. You one more arc three more? Oh yeah yeah, yeah, But on that subject, because it's one of to me, not the meat of episode nine, but one of the things that I loved most about it. Let's talk about a character who looks like is not going to die, who a lot of people expected would have to die to set up Cassian's character Bicks. What did you all think of the way Bicks kind of left the show?
Speaker 9: Broh, It pissed me off, but I get it. It didn't piss me off, honestly, It's like fully, I get it, but I'm just kind of like, I wish we could have some more like healthy communication in Star Wars.
Speaker 3: I mean nice, I would. I think a lot of people would be happier.
Speaker 7: I mean, obviously they had to get rid of her, so I guess I'm glad she didn't die, because that would be much more traumatic, I.
Speaker 4: Think, especially after Sinta's death, which we're probably do an episode about on superhero ethics, because there's like a lot of reasons I made a lot of sense, but also some of the barrier gaze stuff comes up, and like some reason the way I think it could have been done better or had another character die instead. But with Bick, I think especially that kind of set up that for Bix, especially if she also died, was yet another woman of color dying to kind of help advance cassian story. It was gonna be hard, and I there's a lot of people talking about, like we really want to see Bicks survive somehow, and I definitely was one of them. And I I'm torn on it because I'm so happy. I'm not even torn. I just I think it's a great moment, but it leaves me feeling torn on Bicks herself because I agree with you about communication, but I'm also a really big believer in both individual choices but also the idea that like everyone has to give what they can to the cause, but be willing to step back when they need to and let someone else step up. And you know that's and granted, the nonprofit world is not you know, literally fighting, you know, life and death on the battlefields, but there's an awful lot of burnout in non world, a lot of burnout among activists, a lot of activists who wind up turning a very conservative later in life. And a large part of it is because they completely burn out, they never stop. And so there's a kind of part of me that's like, Bix, it's not your plate. Like if if for Bicks to say directly to and Or, I can't be the reason you leave the rebellion, So don't leave it for me, because I'm not gonna run off with you. I would have totally gotten that. For her to say I'm going to leave so that you have to stay, so that you have no reason to leave felt kind of like I not, it was wonderful writing one hundred percent made sense to me for me feeling about her character, and I'm like, that's kind of a shitty thing to do, But I also forget why you did it, and I love that the writers had her do that, like you said, instead of dying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like it makes sense, but it's also making a decision for someone else, which is like very toxic and problematic in relationships.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, Like an.
Speaker 7: Ultimatum based on your opinions only and the other person gets no.
Speaker 3: Say, is like.
Speaker 8: I feel I saw it.
Speaker 5: Yes, you were correct, Aaron, that is yes, but maybe I saw it a little differently.
Speaker 8: I think I saw it.
Speaker 4: Just in like she.
Speaker 5: Very strongly believed what that fourced sensitive woman had told her. But like Andrew has a mission, Andrew has a big role to play here, and I think in Bix's eyes, she was going to hold him back, not for herself, but because like Andrew's gonna hold himself back because of her, and because of that, the rebellion would found her something important would not happen because she I think she so firmly believe that Andrew needed to be part of this for this rebellion to work, and so from my perspective, at least, I think she was like, I don't want to give up Andrew.
Speaker 8: I don't want to lose you. I don't want to be gone.
Speaker 5: But like for the sake of the rebellion, for sake of the galaxy, of the sake of everything, I have to like it almost.
Speaker 8: Like she was like, I don't.
Speaker 5: Feel like I have a choice, And to me that was confirmed just because at the end, the heartbreaking part of that message is I will find you when this is so over, when we win.
Speaker 8: I was like, sister, I did not need to hear that. I know what happens to Cassie.
Speaker 4: I get that on this why, Like I'm not mad at her for it, Like I think all the things you're talking about are correct, Alex, but I think Aaron, I'm with you, of like, but still she could have let him make that choice and be a party to me when I compare it tow which is funny because this doesn't have anywhere near the emotional weight, but I think is a better version of a similar conversation at the end of the first Toby Maguire Spider Man movie, when Mary Jane is like, yes, Peter Parker, I want to be with you. I know you're Spider Man, but I can't because you need to be Spider Man. But she says that to him, she says it directly, she allows him to be part of the conversation and he kind of agrees with her, and so, yeah, I kind of always would have wanted that. But like, other than that, she didn't have to die. She gets to go off and do her own thing. I freaking love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Obviously that was kind of a side story to the larger main story that was happening, which was we get to see the moment where man Mathma realizes she no longer can be a part of the Senate. She has to go outside the system and officially form the Rebel Alliance. This was a scene that because we had for those who are not quite sure, like what are the connections here that we're talking about in this TV show Star Wars Rebels, which we've done coverage of and we will do coverage of again with these folks, but was one of the best pieces of Star Wars media out there strongly recommend it. But there's an episode that basically shows the Phoenix Crew being the people who meet up with her and Erskine and take her safely to Yavin, And as part of that we see her give like the second part of the speech to the Rebels of like come and join me. And so there's a lot of kind of build up and curiosity and like with this erase parts of the Rebels canon and how would this feed into it? How did you all feel about how this did in terms of like telling her telling this side of that story.
Speaker 3: I feel like it made perfect sense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I kind of honestly loved that nothing was brought up or reference to the Phoenix squad because, like I mean, on one hand, like the rebellion should be secretive, but I like to think it's like we're still in the not like to think maybe, but it's like we're so early in the rebellion that everyone is still very secretive, like they don't know anything about each other, you know.
Speaker 3: Like Ahsoka was Fulcrum for the longest time.
Speaker 7: She would send other people to meet up with them, Like Luthen never meets up with people except for like the head haunchos the people he really needs.
Speaker 4: You've actually shown me how brilliant it is because and Mona Mathma specifically calls out that secrecy, and so I kind of like the I think we've kind of established that, like once she gets to Yavin, she's like, no, we gotta be a little more open, we gotta be all working together. But yeah, given that, I think would go against that if they knew, like, oh yeah this you know, uh pseudo Jedi is going to pick you up or like, you know, this great person Harrison dul is going to pick you up.
Speaker 8: Dude, Yeah, I'm maybe I trust you watched her ups too. This was annoying me that I'm mixing some things up. Is that the episode?
Speaker 5: That is the episode where like Ahsoka first reviews herself to the crew, right, I don't think episode, isn't it because like, you're not allowed on my ship if you're all on this ship, who's piloting the other ship?
Speaker 8: And then Ahsoka comes down? Or is that a different episode?
Speaker 3: That was a different episode?
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, so was that before after.
Speaker 3: Like she revealed herself.
Speaker 7: I think at the end of season one?
Speaker 8: Is this one?
Speaker 4: I think it was I don't want to go to down this this rabbit my point.
Speaker 5: All this, I was just like hoping I didn't I didn't need to see Phoenix Squadron, but I.
Speaker 8: Was hoping for like a reference as well.
Speaker 5: I will say I was like either a full crim reference or a phoenixquar because they mentioned Gold Squadron, like like gold.
Speaker 8: Squadron is going to be bringing her the rest of the way.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh, gold Squadron, that's what you know what Ezra and all of them fought with and immediately thought back to the Rebels episode. And they kept and I will say, they kept referencing she's gonna give a speech, She's gonna give a speech, like they were referencing things that happened in Rebels that I did appreciate. Yeah, but I don't know, like a little like gold Squadron and Phoenix Squadron.
Speaker 8: Are gonna bring her in. That could have been kind of fun, But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm torn. I think I would have enjoyed that fan service moment. But I do think Aaron, your point is correct that like it probably it actually works better for the plot. I think that we don't get it, but yeah, but yeah, it's you can see it either way. But I also didn't love that they kind of also covered their bases a bit, and and again reminding us that like, you've got to use the tools you can they kind of want they say, like, okay, but but the official story is gonna be that this other thing happened, you know. And I feel like that was also kind of a little bit of a way of saying, if this doesn't exactly line up with rebels, we have a little bit of a some weigle him there, which I kind of love that. Yeah, the rebels are doing some of their own propaganda too. Yeah, let's talk about then how she We'll talk about her speech in a second. Let's talk about how she comes to give this speech. And this is where we get to talk about the Benjamin Bratt of it all, because one of the key people who really helps her decide to do this and then help basically cover her by not leaving is Bail Organa. And we talked last time about how we didn't love that it was a bit recast, but that we kind of understood why, having now seen Benjamin Bratt as Bail, I still want Jamie Smith's back at some point, but I think he was dead on perfect. It took me maybe fifteen seconds to recognize that this was just bail Organa now and that was okay, it was go ahead.
Speaker 7: I was just gonna say, yeah, it was very very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 7: In this episode felt very much like bail the way he has always been. It was just shocking in the first time we saw him, and it was such a short interaction, you couldn't really get that.
Speaker 8: I was still bothered by it.
Speaker 4: I know, I kind of thought it was perfect. Also, like you know, Darky Royce said that they know. I'll let you talk talk about in a second. I just doing it a week before to give us that week to get through it. And honestly, I don't know if I could have heard, like Jimmy Smith's has been our bail Organa in a lot of the stuff that was for all ages, but clearly aimed at more of a younger audience. I don't know if I could have heard Jimmy Smit's bail Organa swear the way he does when he's like, you know, tear this, tear this shit up or whatever he says. You know, I was like, oh, oh, this is this is bail Organa after dark? Okay, I don't know if I could have hear heard that rum.
Speaker 3: Smith's but that cot me by surprise too.
Speaker 7: I was like, wait, do they say swear words and Star Wars like.
Speaker 3: Normal swear words? What happened to Carabass?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, Cara Bash is still there, but like I think, I think and or this is the second time it's happened. But still ye, they're surely doing books.
Speaker 5: But yeah, go ahead, Yeah, I had no I just I understand but why it had to happen because of scheduling stuff. But I just I he has been the same actor, the same person, the same voice, the same everything for me in Star Wars for so long that it just it was really.
Speaker 8: Throwing me off. I just kept going. I kept feeling it was the same thing again.
Speaker 5: I talked about last week that I felt like I was watching the Solo movie again, where I just I couldn't my brain couldn't, it couldn't do it. I was like, you're not, who is this person Cod's playing as as uh as Bell or Ghana again, I'm very like carried himself properly. There's just not a at any at any level, is this a reflection of how well the actor did. I think that the portrayal of the character was very true, very good. I had no issues with any of that. They didn't really take me out of it.
Speaker 8: It's just.
Speaker 5: That's not bit where God is for me. It's very hard for me to see it that way.
Speaker 4: The actor and Solo just wasn't Han Solo to me.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I totally get that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, let's just talk about sort of his role in helping Mon, And what do you think of just Mon's journey in this to coming to the point where she's ready to make that speech and the way she does it.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 7: The build up over the last six episodes of just her kind of losing connection and being betrayed slowly by every single person around her, and then when that one final like.
Speaker 3: Her protege, the person she like took.
Speaker 7: In when he was a child, like has been spying on her for two years. Yeah, I feel like she was just like, no, fuck it, Like I mean, one, I can't stay in the Senate anymore for like political reasons, like I have to say something and I can't stay here afterwards.
Speaker 3: But I feel like it was just.
Speaker 7: Like put her in like a very mentally like a mental solitude maybe so that she could really like dive into the speech.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. In some ways, I feel like her journey is kind of a reverse of Cyril's. You know that both of it is about them believing in the institutions and then eventually losing faith. And I do think that book Mask of Fear that we read also really helped me in this, because that's I think another important part of her journey. And you know, like when you realize like she doesn't try to get her husband or her daughter to join her, you know, she's just like, I'm just going to peace out. You know, They're doing their thing and I need to be part of this rebellion and I need to give up all of that too. And for me, I kind of feel like this her journey in this is a master class of what it means to be willing to give up to both use privilege but then to realize the point of which you have to give it up. You know, because for a long time she said, say, look, yes I am rich, I am powerful, but I can work within the system and try to make things better in the way that I can while supporting people like Luth and others who are doing, you know, the exact opposite, are working for the same goal from very in direction. But she gets to the point where she's like, if I keep doing this, then I'm just allowing myself to dance at the wedding, you know that I'm just hiding. And eventually some point she's like, I have to take the risk too, And in some ways, the fact that she realizes that she can't even trust Luthen the way that she thought she could, it felt like, yeah, like everything had been torn away from her and this was all she could do to say, I can't keep trying to be comfortable with this, you know, I can't keep trying to keep my hands clean. I have to dive in as fully as Saw and Luth and of them do.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's interesting, you know, this arc, we didn't see much Mom at wake, nothing of her husband. We haven't seen her daughter since the wedding, her friend. We're like dead or they're missing, and like she just the point I think is to make us feel like she is so incredibly away, Like I I got very excited last night and just wrote this logo Instagram story because I was like, this is the greatest television ever. And I mentioned I was like the fact that to fight tyranny can sometimes be like the most isolating, lonely thing, and like she basically like even though Lutheran and Clay we are both like without my Mathma, it all ends, it all falls apart. Like she is, she's she's the key basically to the rebellion. She's the leader we need, and obviously, you know, to the Mandalorian. We know that she eventually becomes Chance of the New Republic, like she truly was the leader they needed.
Speaker 8: But like to get to that point, everything this woman sacrificed. I mean, it's just.
Speaker 5: I mean the character of my Mathma, I feel like has just over the years, more than a lot of characters, has just benefited so much from the additional shows and creation, and like she's grown from just this this mystical woman in white that we saw briefly a briefing in episode six, to the face of like the face of the rebellion in a lot of ways. And it's just, I don't know, it's very it's very like, it's just very special. And her her performance has been so special for so many years, and to see her get such a large role.
Speaker 8: In season two, and I have like dreamt of what this.
Speaker 5: Speech would look like for so long, like between the mentioned and Rebel. Wasn't just all these different ways of like Monmothmas like stood up to the Emperor.
Speaker 8: And god damn did she deliver on that speech? Oh my god.
Speaker 5: I was like, can we just play this like in every television in America right now?
Speaker 8: The people need to hear what she's asked to say.
Speaker 5: And I almost like half was expecting her to say and the monster. I was expecting Emperor Palpatine. I was expecting Donald Trump at the end. But uh, it's just it was it was incredible, Like it was incredible how her courage shone through and then.
Speaker 8: The actual speech was just like I tear up. I started crying a little bit. It was so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: It was intense and I loved that. Again, we got kind of like in the background of this speech. It reminded me of like the first three episodes where it was switching between like Mon dancing and then like Brasso dying, and how it's like Mon giving this speech and then it's like the Empire just scrambling to stop it and.
Speaker 3: Just it took me a second to figure out.
Speaker 7: I was like, who the fuck is this.
Speaker 3: Guy and why is he running around?
Speaker 7: And I just realized he's whatever engineer got sent to cut the power. Yeah, but yeah, the the speech was incredible. I will say I think that side quest kind of distracted me from the full speech. So I'm gonna need to go back and like really listen some other time because it's also pretty late at night.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing a Google search and I can't find the full text of it. So if anyone any of our listeners have that, please send it to me. But yeah, I did like, I love the tension building, especially during her escape, and I think I did like the running around, but it was a little like I wish they kind of give us more of the full speech. This is one thing, although I do think that that what they kind of allowed for as well. There is like because we saw some breaks in her speech, it allows for the parts of the speech that we saw on rebels that aren't in this like they happened.
Speaker 8: You know, when she was off camera, right exactly.
Speaker 4: But I yeah, I have that same thing. First of all, just kind of like going back to Alex a lot of what we were saying, was echoing what Erin had said originally about you know, the solitude that she was in and how that was just kind of everything was gone. And Arnie, you brought up the dancing again. I think that's the point. That's like she she'd realized she can't do that anymore, she can't be dancing while bros Is getting shot. And then for the speech itself, what hit me so hard? And this acts what you were saying about how we wish that like some more people would see this is this line. I believe we're in a crisis. The distance between what is said and what is known to be true has become an abyss. Of all the things at risk, the loss and objective reality is perhaps the most dangerous. The death of truth is the ultimate victory of evil. When truth leaves us, when we let it, let's take a break. The death of truth is the ultimate victory of evil. I mean that is one hundred percent about the United States right now and other parts as well. I mean like that, one of the first things fascism does is to get people to you know, don't believe your lying eyes, listen to what the state is telling you. That's the heart of nineteen eighty four. That's the heart of so many of these things, and it's what's happening now when we're being told like, no, it's not a genocide in Gaza. No, you know, Trump is peaceful and this is all good for the economy. No, you know, they're getting to like all of these things, you know, everything when it that vaccinations or peace deals or whatever. We're just being straight up live to and we're being told that the objective reality we know is that the truth is not the truth, and more and more people are believing it. And like, there's absolutely no way that Gilroy wasn't one hundred percent thinking about the modern moment as he wrote this, And it just makes it so powerful because but it doesn't because it doesn't feel shoved in. It doesn't feel like he wanted to shove his own political agenda into Star Wars. It felt like Star Wars just is a good description of what's happening right now in the world. And he was naming that and naming what the Emperor was doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Matthew, just quote, you quoted the exact line I was going to quote because that part just like lives rent free.
Speaker 8: In my head, and it's just like.
Speaker 5: It's so and it's like the part that I mentioned before, like when she says that I'm a skip, but she says that like when truth leaves us, when we let it slip away, what is srip from her hands so become vulnerable to the appetite of whatever monsters screams the loudest.
Speaker 8: Then she says it more.
Speaker 5: But then she says, you know, the monster screaming the loudest, the monster we've helped create, the marshall who will come for us all soon enough, is Emperor Palpatine.
Speaker 8: But again, like in my head, I could you can.
Speaker 10: Just swap every Palpatine out for Donald Trump, because that's what that's what Gilroy was writing it for, because like you know, when you take away objective truth, you know who was yelling the loudest, who was like, who is screaming the loudest. It's this, this man who's running our country, who is running America right now, and this in this and it's happening in other parts of the worldwik you said, but uh, you know, I think that it again it speaks to like the idea that if if people don't know who to believe or what to believe, though, it's just gonna believe who acts the most confident, even if they're completely wrong.
Speaker 8: And it's horrifying.
Speaker 5: That speech felt like it should be given by an actual senator in the US, and it I obviously was not, but I mean, you replace Gorman with Gaza, you replace Emperor Palpatine with Donald Trump, like you placed a few words, and that's an actual speech. It could be said in America right now. And this is supposed to be the most evil empire to ever exists in like a dark, villainous, sith lord, murderous man running at all like to draw these comparisons, this is not by accident.
Speaker 8: This is very very direct, very definitive.
Speaker 5: And to me, the fact that Donald Trump just posted on May fourth an image of him holding a red light saber and was basically like, oh you leftists, you know, made the fourth with you, even the leftists who are you know always you know, terrible things, And he goes, you think you're the rebellion, but no, you're the empire.
Speaker 8: And I'm like, bro.
Speaker 5: The fact that this these episodes and this speech dropped three days after he did that or two days after he did that.
Speaker 8: It's just like poetic justice.
Speaker 5: It's just he's the monster screaming the loud, throwing a tantrum, and then also incorrectly putting himself out there like I'm a.
Speaker 8: Jedi, bro, You're holding a red light saber yourself the word what are we doing here?
Speaker 5: But all that to say, it was really ironic that, like that case, he did that right before the speech was released, because Tony Gilroy is very clearly making a point about him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think that's kind of where we end off. Like we've covered most of the things. Is there anything more? People, Aaron, some of all the last comments he wanted to make.
Speaker 5: No, I have one less, very small comment, and it's just that I want to appreciate the fact that and Or helped man Mathma escape and then is told you will not be remembered for this. No one will know that you did this. We're gonna give the glory to gooist Contro. We have to regret the narrative to make it more symbolic for the rebellion. And Andrew just kind of like accepts it, and I just really appreciate that, Like he continues to be like, again, the rebellion doesn't happen without all of the sacrifice, all the things, and or is done like he's the ultimate rebel spy.
Speaker 8: And then he even died.
Speaker 5: When he dies in Rogue One, he dies without anyone really like no one knows him specifically, it's just they just like, you know, you will be remembered. Rogue one, like he he dies without being remembered. And that is so often what it takes to win these fights, in these wars is these individuals who sacrifice everything without being remembered for the greater good.
Speaker 8: And that was really powerful message that was being sent.
Speaker 4: It really was. And I guess one of the part of his ark that we didn't talk about is that this is the this ingranted a lot of its bicks, but I think it's not just bicks. It's just as much mon mathma where he decides that he doesn't want to just be like a lone rebel who comes and goes as he chooses, but to straight up be you know, a part of the alliance. And as we'll get to in Rogue One, I think he becomes a little bit too eager to to just listen to orders instead of overthinking them, although he does, you know, in terms of his decision to try and kill it or so and all that instead of trying to rescue him. But yeah, I think it's just it's a but of course he doesn't get to but the Yeah, it's just oh my god, I want to go rewatch these episodes again again, And I'm both so excited that we're gonna get one more arc and so disappointed that it's gonna be the last one. But I I don't want to say that, like this is like all of the Star Wars is bad.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of Star.
Speaker 4: Wars that shouldn't be this dark. Like I love that I can watch Skeleton Crew, because there's sometimes we're just this is way too heavy and this is way too intense, and I need Skeleton Crew and I want the dark philosophy and ethics of Acolyte, and I want the silliness of droid things and all of that. But I think this is just the best Star Wars media we've ever gotten, and it's just getting.
Speaker 5: Yep yep, I agree, And it's okay, Matthew next arka least for finally getting K two. Like this whole arc ended with K two coming to life in the sassiest way possible, and we're gonna finally get K two back in live action.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm, I think we've learned that. Yeah, you can't have Alan Tunic and be too dark and gritty. You know, there's just a level of joy that he brings that is always going to be there.
Speaker 5: Well, the way he said, I'm sorry if I offended you, but if not, could you point that somewhere else?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This was also a great week for another Star Wars property. Just a couple of days ago, on May the fourth, we got Tales from the Underworld. We were thinking about doing that as a little bit for Bonus members. We'll probably do that next week. We're definitely gonna do a full episode on Bonus on Tales the Underworld. But unfortunately this episode's already gone pretty long. I want to make sure we wrap it up in Parks. I gotta go do some getting ready for baby things. But I'm going to a baby one O one class, which I think will be very interesting about what we learn and don't learn. But yeah, so that'll be Uh. I'm looking forward to talking about it. I love. I want to thank both of you so much for for giving me new ways to think about this both of you kind of pointed out things that I missed and I just love our discussions to our audience. I love you guys so much. Please let us know your thoughts. Please let us know your thoughts and predictions for the last episodes. Maybe we'll even do like kind of a one on on just your thoughts before we go into it and then do the final one. Let us know. Become a member of five dollars a month, fifty five dollars a year, buy a lightsaber, buy an audible subscriptions. They all help us out all the information in the show notes, but most importantly, live long and.
Speaker 8: Prosper, Stay classy, Gorman, Rip Gorman, you know on the.
Speaker 3: Trigger, get the finger, and I'm a fucking don
Speaker 5: A fucking show