Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, basketball fans, San Antonio Spurs fans, Welcome to another edition of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast with your boy. A fan of the Black and Silver of forty years.
Speaker 2: So much he's got it tat it out in his arm.
Speaker 3: You got that right, Also a former entertainer in the world of acting, modeling, don't laugh, and stand up comedy Come on now, and a heck of a YMCA basketball coach.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, here he is your host, my host, our host, dissolve.
Speaker 2: Thank you, mister movie phone for that tantalizing introduction. Welcome everybody to another episode of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast with your Boy Katie. And thank you guys for listening to us wherever you may be listening to us on your favorite podcasting platform such as Speakers, Spotify, Apple, iTunes, iHeartRadio, and more. Thank you for listening over the last several years to the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast. And we are a different podcast, aren't we, san Antonio Spurs fans.
Speaker 4: We are.
Speaker 2: We're not. You're just analytical, over the top, giving you rumors type show. We like to make a little fun, make a little light of the situation because we're friends and family underneath the black and silver umbrella, right we are. We are like family because we'll call you out on some stuff you put out on Twitter, or we'll call you out ESPN, and we'll make fun of you, and guess what, we'll even make fun of ourselves from time to time here on the show when we do right and wrong. And that's what it's all about being family. Sometimes there's things we like that you don't like, and vice versa. We want to hug you, give you high fives, or even punch each other in the face sometimes. Right, that's exactly what families all about. And let's get it today here on the show. We're going to mix it up a little bit.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 2: We're not going to get into the rumors and all the talk of the NBA Draft coming up for the Spurs, but we're going to take a break, a pause for the cause, and we're going to have a little bit of what we're going to do in July today on the show. In July, we're going to have a lot of specialty shows. Today, we want to dedicate this show to a legendary power Forward Slash Center that really changed the game here in San Antonio thanks to the likes of David Robinson, who was one of his mentors on the show. Today is all about mister Tim.
Speaker 1: Duncan, wearing number twenty one for his.
Speaker 2: Career here in San Antonio. Out of Wake Forest, Tim Duncan put up nineteen points a game, almost eleven rebounds, three assists, and his accolades go on and on to the break of gone, just like the nineties music in the background. Fifteen time All NBA, fifteen time All Defensive, ninety seven, ninety eight All Rookie, ninety seven, ninety eight Rookie of the Year, a three time Finals MVP, and in ninety nine two thousand he was the League MVP, two time MVP as well, and also he was on the list for the NBA's seventy fifth anniversary team. Today on the show, we talk about the legendary Timmy Tim Duncan on the show, and also there's been a lot of talk lately about is Tim Duncan one of the greatest of all time in the NBA. Reggie Miller had mentioned it on one of the shows. We'll play that clip coming up on the show here. Also we'll get into some of that fun trash talk that Tim Duncan and KG got into. I love those clips. I can't wait to play those for you guys here today. And of course we have the great speech that Tony Parker did at the Hall of Fame ceremony coming up a little bit on the show. But let's talk about Tim Duncan being the goat in the NBA. The goat. His numbers, as we suggested earlier to introduce him on the show, may not sound like the numbers of the goat like Michael Jordan, Lebron James, and many others. But the five rings, the six NBA Finals appearances, and let's put it this way. We always forget NBA fans and Spurs fans. The Spurs just missed out. I'm winning more than just that five rings in six appearances. And what I mean by that is in two thousand and four and in two thousand and six, the Spurs just missed out on five peating. I want you to keep that in perspective. NBA fans, we won and O three, we won, an O five, we won an O seven. Put that in perspective. One of the most winningest organizations in playoff history in the NBA was because of Tim Duncan in that span. In the two thousand, Duncan and the Spurs teams were one of the most elite clubs in the league. They went up against the likes of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. They had a tough run in the two thousands, and they almost five petd. This is why Tim Duncan is in the conversation of one of the greatest of all time. Here's what Reggie Miller had to say about it on one of the shows.
Speaker 6: I mean, people forget about Tim dunk good. Is he the greatest effort?
Speaker 7: No? No, great, Oh, he's definitely the greatest plowerforms.
Speaker 4: We're not doing that.
Speaker 7: We're not doing five rings, three m vps all defensive player for ten plus years. We know his resume.
Speaker 2: I can name you ten other guys that you got to put in that conversation if you're going to.
Speaker 8: Go to that fall.
Speaker 7: Who will Will has won two championship?
Speaker 6: Right? No, I didn't know.
Speaker 7: We judged his champmons. Yes, and that's not how you judge Oh, yes, that's not how we judged. You don't judge greatness, not on not on how many championships you won. Even if that's the criteria, though, run team.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about let's get into that conversations Tim Duncan in that conversation. First foremost, Mark Jackson shouldn't be saying ish, all right, he fell in a lucky stars, but you didn't. Let's let's hunt the brakes for a moment. Had great run Goldie into the reasons because he had a Steph Curry, he had Ky Thompson, he had a young team there to help carry his load. Let's pump the brakes on his stats as well. And yes, Mark Jackson, I'm calling you out, mister nine points a game and you were a good NBA player, You were probably average. Your best season was your second year as a Knick at sixteen points a game, almost seven assists. Then the next year you dropped off by almost seven points. For him to sit here and not say that, Tim Duncan is in the goat conversation of talking go back to the stat I just said they'd missed a five peet by two years. Where were you, Mark Jackson, in the mix of all that bumping around from league to league, trying to hang on to a career that was dying. I don't think Mark Jackson has any right to speak when it comes to Tim Duncan or anybody like Kobe Bryant. He is up Lebron James ass crack. Though he loved some Lebron James. He does. He loves him so much. And it's so funny the people that played against like Jordan and played against Kobe, and they watch Lebron and they said, here, oh, Jordan is not the greatest, it's Lebron. You didn't play against Lebron. The reason why you say this is because you got your ass whooped against those players playing and simple. But about Tim Duncan today, Mark Jackson really calls him out. And I think Reggie Miller did a great job, you know, presenting Tim Duncan as the goat. And some of you out there today in NBA Land and not just Spurs family Land, are sitting there saying the same thing. Mark Jackson has no way, no way, Listen. I'm an old basketball ahead too. I don't go all the way back to Bill Russell, and I do respect Bill Russell, but the best player on his team was Bob Coosey. He was the face of the league.
Speaker 9: At the time.
Speaker 2: And I know what you guys are gonna say, always racism. Back then, he had to battle all this and that and things of that nature. Stop pulling the race card. We know how great Bill russ was on and off the court. We know how great Bill Russell is as a man. I love Bill Russell. I do. He's one of my favorite players of all time. Yes, I'm not that old, but guess what, I pay homage to the history of this sport. And that's the problem right now in this sport is we forget about the history. You want to look at what's in front of you. We'll look behind you, look behind you at some of the greats that were in this league. Bill Russell, though, was on a great team as well. He had a couple players on that team that were a little bit better at the time. Bill Russell also had to battle the likes of Wilt Chamberlain. Will Chamberlain one of the greatest of all time. So let's talk about that. Would you put Bill Russell above Tim Duncan stat wise, yes, ring wise, If you're going up against rings and people are saying, like Mark Jackson, well, if you want to measure rings, then Will Chamberlain or Bill Russell's the greatest of all time. I agree, I agree, but I also agree with Reggie saying he may not have been the best player on his team in those ten rings. You will never see anyone eclipse ten rings. Never five. Six was pretty close. I don't think you'll ever see five again. I don't. Maybe maybe with Wemby, maybe the five rings is a lot and we forget. I go back to that stat two years from being a five peat, which never happened in the NBA. That's a dominant team. Duncan was a dominant player. Duncan was such a dominant player. You had some great players like KG try to trash talk them.
Speaker 8: Check this out. Was there someone that you loved, you knew that motherfucker back it up and talk it to you?
Speaker 7: Maybe or not, y'all or Tim Duncan, Tim Duncan shock, Timmy Duncan. HIBB would not see him verbally saying stuff because he wasn't talking sentences. He did freeze TI to me, we'll hit you in phrases, got you almost.
Speaker 5: Just the worst?
Speaker 7: Why here nice? Try like settle shit, no games to ship, no real hall course shit, just to settle me to just trash your glass up and put you back in.
Speaker 2: Like this, mister big fundamental Tim Duncan. That's what he did on the court, trash talking play wise. This is how I teach my kids today. There's so many kids out there that want to do these crossovers and in and out moves, and they hit these shots and they do the ooh, ice water in my veins. Well there was the first one you hit out of probably fifteen, by the way. Okay, and I know you're six, but calm down with the trash talk. Parents, Stop letting your kids trash talk.
Speaker 1: Just stop.
Speaker 2: It's a YMC, a rec league for one. Okay, Sorry, I had to get a shameless plug in there. My Spurs fans out there, but uh, Timmy wasn't that player. He wasn't a trash talk type player. And the Spurs are not a trash talk type organization. That's why it was very interesting to see us grab somebody like a Stephen Jackson, a Dennis Rodman, you know, somebody that's super ultra tough that runs their mouth from time to time. It didn't fit the organization. Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Tony Parker Mano Jenoblain. We're gonna have some shows dedicated to them in July as well. We want to honor the past because we have got an amazing future set upon us. Here in San Antonio honoring Tim Duncan here today on the San Antonio Spurs Weekly podcast. We want to give a quick shout out to one of our sponsors, which is Encore Entertainment sat X. If you're having a party, if you're a homeowners association looking to get your event status on with some great party rentals and also party services, contact OnCore Entertainment SATX here in San Antonio today. How do you do that? Go to the website on Core Entertainment SATX dot com. Check out all they have to offer. And again, thank you guys for listening to the show, and thank you for one of our major sponsors on Core Entertainment SATX right here in San Antonio, Texas. Also another quick shout out to another one of our sponsors, sin a Block sinablock dot com. This is cool, guys. If you're a movie lover like me, if you're maybe an actor or maybe want to be an investor in the next latest greatest movie, guess what. There's a new website called sinablock dot com where you can invest in movies and you can get a portion back through stock funding, money and more. Read more about it at cineblock dot com, they'd like to call themselves the Robinhood of movies. That's right. You know how we invest in stocks today through Robinhood, you can do the same thing through movies and entertainment on cineblock dot com. Your investments get a lot of great movies made out there. Almost like Angels Studios. Cineblock dot com has all types of movies, all types of genres that you can and invest in today. Thank you to our sponsors on the show, and thank you to the Big Fundamental Tim Duncan, of course the name given to him by Shaquille O'Neal. You had the Big Aristotle just whatever big after that when in front of Shack you could pretty much call Shack Dat the Big Pepperoni because he invests in pizza now and you know, the back big Shakarnie, whatever you want to call. He decided to call Tim Duncan the Big Fundamental, and he's just that. Tim Duncle was with very mister Fundamental. I loved watching the way he moved and you know, what spurs fans. You want to laugh at me. When we first drafted Tim dunc and, I was like, what, huh. I was like Kendrick Lamar, I'm like, huh what. I wasn't a big fan of Tim Duncan. I wasn't And a lot of people are like, oh, my goodness, are you serious? Because I came from the era of the Johnny Moore is the Alvin Robbinson's David Robinson.
Speaker 4: I love David.
Speaker 2: It was almost like if you were a John Elway fan and David Robinson is John Elway and you're like, oh, here comes Tim Duncan, the replacement. Huh, he's the replacement. Well, I'll be honest with you, just like everybody else once we started winning those rings, like this guy's great, He's fantastic. Tim Duncan. We love you on the show. By the way, Timmy, we appreciate you. That's why we're dedicating today's show to you. But is he the greatest of all time? I believe he's in the top ten. He should be in the discussion of just that. But what I love is I found another audio clip off of YouTube. We follow this group as well. They're called Ringer NBA Go follow them. It's a talk show from former basketball player Rajah Bell. He had Tim Duncan on the show and they had a great conversation.
Speaker 5: Check this out, Tim.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you, man, like you played in some like some golden eras of basketball, bro, Like and you know, obviously our teams were coming up against those Spurs teams, so we developed a little distaste in the mouth, if you.
Speaker 9: Will, for the Spurs.
Speaker 4: Politely. Let me ask you, though, who, like who wasn't for you guys, man, Like, who was there was there a team that just was like given the opportunity, like we'd like to beat them down, Like it was more than just we want to win the game, like where there were there guys like that for you, Bro.
Speaker 8: Phoenix the Phoenix Suns with Raja Bell.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, at one point, it absolutely was. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was early on. It was Utah. Utah was a hump we.
Speaker 9: Had to get over there.
Speaker 6: With the they were dominant early on and especially we had to get over that hump.
Speaker 9: Uh than it was the Lakers and the Sphoenix. It was Dallas.
Speaker 5: Dallas at Houston obviously right down the road were always good rivals and had had good teams, so it kind of flucks throughout my career, probably those and then obviously with the teams. With any team, KG was almost always a big, a big game.
Speaker 6: Let me listen.
Speaker 1: KG.
Speaker 4: KG used to like he had more antics dogged him. I don't know, like maybe because you guys were about the same size, Like he didn't do that shit to you. I don't know, but like he talked the most shit. And like I remember one time he hit me with like a bow, like to see what I was gonna do, like you know what I mean, just trying to kind of like punk you a little bit. And so the next time I came down, I fired one right in his ribs and he looked at me like he left me alone after that, but like that that's who he is, right, Like that's what he tried to do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's done that a lot.
Speaker 6: Will test you early for who you are, right and depending on your response, Yeah, you get a certain type of response from him later on.
Speaker 9: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 6: Those those individuals who came down and fired back at some point, Bill usually left him alone and give him a little more leeway.
Speaker 8: He said that you, he said that you. It would frustrate him the most. That he would talk all his ship, but she would smile and say like good job and stuff like that would piss him off the most. Why would you never engage in trash talk tim with him?
Speaker 9: Because that's what he wanted. Okay, that's what he wanted. He wanted to get you outside of yourself. He wanted to piss you off and kind of control the situation. And I guess I recognize that. Plus it wasn't part of my game like it would. It would frustrate people more when you just keep coming and coming, and I mean, just keep getting things done and no matter what they throw at you or no matter what they do, it's just just it doesn't affect you, and it kind of it ends up affecting them much more than it does you.
Speaker 7: So that was my way.
Speaker 9: That was my uh, what I figured out to be most effective, and it hit with my game Like I didn't I didn't have to trash talk.
Speaker 5: I didn't need to trash talk.
Speaker 9: I wasn't. I wasn't good at it.
Speaker 8: So I was just about to ask you if you were even good at doing it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, So my mind more thing is just like kind of poked there just kind of kind of pokeing a little bit and bro them off a little bit and then they react and poking again.
Speaker 4: First of all, I talked no shit either, because I'd have been like to do either. Be like you too, Like I was just getting bad at that, Like I wasn't gonna be any good at that, so I couldn't do that. But he to me that I remember this ship we were. We were like, I was across from our bench in San Antonio, like swing, swing to the corner. Tim's on a late close out right, So I'm like, this shit is cash. So I pull up like I'm stroking it, and I said something like yeah, that shit's in the bucket, and it like rattled out, and this moffo like tapped me and said, hey, I don't count it before it goes in. It keeps going down the other way, and I'm like.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: Some more great stories about Tim Duncan and Tim Duncan's greatness on the court, and also the trash talking aspect, we talk a little bit about that today. Will actually probably have a little bit of show dedicated to trash talking. Some of the greatest, some reasons to do it, not to do it, but Tim Duncan really gave me some inspiration during the show to give to my kids this upcoming summer session at the YMCA. I am a coach. I actually coached the seven eight year olds and I also coach the nine tens. I absolutely love it. I want to thank the San Antonio Spurs organization, the San Antonio Spurs Youth Basketball League here in the city. They do a great job honoring these kids who play, and they also raise these kids to be non trash talkers. And Tim Duncan should give a class on how to trash talk without trash talking. I love that. I tell my kids just give him a big thumbs up when they start talking, go yeah, dude, you're awesome. You're awesome. You're going places, and they look at you like wait a minute. You know, and as being a follower of Christ myself, hey, you're shedding the light upon a dark spot and they do not know how to react, and Tim Duncan did just that. He's like, hey, you know, tough shot, better lick next time. Tim Duncan one of the greatest of all time. And what did Tony Parker have to say about him in his Hall of Fame speech? Did they get along early on? Did they get along? Let's find out.
Speaker 10: Timmy don't like French people. Okay, he doesn't like my French accent. My rookie year. Timmy didn't talk to me my rookie year. And people think I'm crazy when I say that, but it's true. I play with a lot of teammates who will complain to get the ball. You know. Bruce Bowen like, oh, Tony, I'm open, Tony. I was open in the corner, you know. I'm like, but hey, what's up, Bruce. But Timmy will just look at me and I'll go to Pop. I'm like, Pop, you give me the look, and then Pop be like, you really look at you. I was like, yeah, if you want a point guard tomorrow, we need to call a play for him right now. Coach Pop, You're unbelievable. You in five games into my rookie year. You put me in the back in the plane. You call me and you's like, you're starting tomorrow. I was like, really, I was like, did you talk to Timmy? And Pop's like, You'll be fine. You starting in the rest of his history.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Tim Duncan, one of the greatest of all time in the NBA, not just here in San Antonio. Tim Duncan really won me over, probably the ninety nine season. I wasn't too sure, but watching him side by side with David Robinson and them winning the title with Avery Johnson and the cast of characters we had then to win the NBA title, our first one really meant something special. That first title for your city means something right. That's why it'll be interesting to see if Indiana can do what they do in the NBA finals. To win that first title is a wonderful thing. And you don't forget the players that got you there, like Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Avery Johnson. But Tim Duncan rejuvenated David at that time, and David gave him the knowledge to go on to be one of the greatest of all time. We want to thank you guys for listening to this episode of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast, which your boy KD and again will being some of the greats here in San Antonio on the show throughout the summer starting in July. Next week, we'll be back on the show to kind of take a look at what the Spurs are gonna do with that draft pick. We're gonna take a little bit too about what you guys think in the Twitter verse and what's next for the San Antonio Spurs. I mean, we do have another Frenchman, right, So does Tim Duncan like Victor Wenbinama? I hope so. I think he'll like him too a little bit more once we get another NBA title to San Antonio. I see that happening. Spurs fans, remember now, matter how good or bad the Spurs are playing, what they're doing in the front or back off as they're doing it for us. They're doing it for victories. They're doing it for championships, and we just got to remember to let that black and silver blood run through our veins and go, Spurs Go. We love y'all. Thank you all for listening to another episode of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast on your favorite podcasting platform, Deuces OOSS