Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. We're joined right now by a man that's a hero to the people of Los Angeles, a hero to the people from Coast to Coast World Series MVP, and last night's hero at Dodger Stadium, the one and only Freddie Freeman. Freddie, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, David. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I told the story on the show last night that you were joking you didn't want to hit the ball on the ground anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I still didn't once. No. I just like I've been throwing hits out there, but it hasn't been the hits that you know, get me going. I've hit a lot of balls on the ground to the right side, a lot of swing and mists, and a lot of fly balls left field. So that's what I call the cut swing. Yeah, That's what I've battled my whole life. But the double in the first thing, that was good. You know, two strikes. You just want to get something, you know, not strike out for the ball and play, and so that was that was okay. With that hook job down there, I feel line. But the one obviously on the walk off. I've been searching for that swing that's a backspin ball center to left center, and I was able to do that. So hopefully I can carry that and put together some good games with some batsman balls.
Speaker 1: We had to tap into Nomar to get the translation to cut swings. He just said, you're not a cut swing means you're not fully extending, fully getting through the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For me, it's when I start my swing, my hands start pulling across my body. I know it's hard to understand, but for me, it's just my barrel of my bat is not in the zone going through the middle. It's coming across the zone. It's almost like it for a left handed hitter. It's like my hands are at third base and they're coming to first base. So that's what it's doing my swinging. So to be able to hit balls in the air, it's only going to be like a down and in pitch to a left EU or something in like a slider in where I can I'm cutting right through it. But I have to be perfectly on time to get hit. So I've been able to throw hits out there, but it's I'm trying to get the how I always think it's like the imaginary line the box, like the batter's box, the line going from the back of the box to the pitchers found that straight line, so if I can have my hands going on that line, then everything will work through up to the middle. And right now they're cutting across that line. So but last night's swing on the walk off that it was the swing I've been looking for probably for about two weeks now, two and a half weeks. So hopefully I could repeat that in the.
Speaker 1: Cage after this interview, Freddy, obviously your career is on its way to Cooper's Town. But when did you have this nag to understand yourself so well?
Speaker 2: You know, it took a lot of time, I think as I've gotten older, like I understand so like it's like I struck out in the eight thing with guys on second and third instead of being down the dumps, and like I'm not happy I got out, obviously, but to understand that I'm going to get another opportunity. Did I know it was gonna happen so fast again in that game? Though I was expecting it to be today or the next day. It's it's always being okay to fail, Like if you're if you're okay with failing, especially in this game, then it helps helps you be okay, you know, like cause this game is such a roller coaster swimming up and downs. But it took years. I mean you can talk to Chelse. I used to punish myself all the time when I was a younger baseball player, like if I go, oh for four, I wouldn't feed myself and you know, like crazy stuff like that. But now it's just like, oh wait, no, there's a game tomorrow. It's it will always work itself out. And so I think it probably I think kids, you know, when I had kids, I think that's when things kind of you know, it doesn't matter if you go for four four four that they're gonna act the same to you. So I think probably about you know, nine nine, ten years ago, things started to change for me for the better.
Speaker 1: Speaking of kids, I saw your kids and Chelsea out here after a Sunday night's game. Dwayne Wade was out here, and I was thinking, where's Freddy right now? How much treatment is see receiving right now?
Speaker 2: I was actually getting treatment. And then I went to the car and I waited for him. They were trying to get me to come down, and I was like, I've already made it upstairs. I'm not coming back downstairs. But I got the FaceTime call from Charlie saying, can we play a little bit more? So you can play all you want. I'm not taking the fun with you. I'll be you upstairs waiting for you. But I found that late. They were downstairs. But if I had known, I would have came out. I saw a picture of them jumping up in the air. I don't know if I would have been able to do that. But no, it's been fun. We've been They've been coming to every game so far this home stand, so it's it's been pretty cool to have all the boys out here.
Speaker 1: Well, the boys now are old enough to go online and vote for their dad for the All Star Game. This year, the All Star Game is in your old ballpark, Atlanta. How special would it be to be the starting first baseman in Atlanta for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that sounds pretty cool. It does, and I didn't know. You just told me that it starts today, So go out and vote for all of us. That'd be pretty cool to go there and represent the Dodgers. In the All Star Game, especially with our coaching staff being you know, the coaching staff for the All Star Game. I think that's pretty special. So if we can get as many guys there as possible, that'd be pretty cool. And obviously in the park that I saw be built and you know, spent a lot of time there, that would definitely be pretty cool. So we'll see what happened to the next month.
Speaker 1: The park that you saw be built, that's the park Freddie Freeman built in Atlanta, and you belong in that All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Oh, I appreciate it so far. You know, baseball's a crazy sport. You never know what's gonna happen. Be humble day.
Speaker 1: Now, you be humble, and I'll take care of the other stuff. I'll be your mean gene Okerland and your wrestling promoter moving forward.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you got a month to do it all R right, sounds good.
Speaker 1: Dodgers dot Com slash vote right now for the Dodgers and Freddie Freeman. Maybe even send Tanner Scott as well.
Speaker 2: I would like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just gave me the peace sign right there. Thanks a lot for the time, Freddy, and you enjoy a Javier's Hoaviers has a new location in downtown. Freddie will get a gift card.
Speaker 2: I thank you, dude. I love all these plugs right.
Speaker 1: Now the number one plug automatic Freddie Freeman to the All Star Game, starting first Baseman. My vision is Freddie versus Max Freed and the house Freddie built Atlanta. Thanks a lot and I appreciate.
Speaker 2: Thank you, David