Speaker 1: With Dan Ray WBS Constance Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if you can still hear me, but that is not a top Chicago White Sox team they're playing tonight. This is a little discouraging.
Speaker 3: And not only that, Dan, but the error bug is biting the Red Sox again. What was supposed to be a good defensive team so far has not shown that. I think they've got about three errors already in this game.
Speaker 2: I'm aware of that. You know there's a possibility I may have to go in and help Korra manage this team, and you couldn't do any You couldn't do any worse, Dan, I don't think. Well, certainly not tonight. Certainly not tonight. But I mean I talked to him every once in a while and try to explain some strategies to him. But I think I may need to take a leave of absence here for the station.
Speaker 3: It's not where, it's not working, Dan.
Speaker 2: Could you cover it, cover for me for a couple of months while I get these guys back. I will, I will, Okay, I would appreciate that. You know, I'm not deserting Bez, but I have to do something for the Red Sox, and you know you're a team You're a team player, Dan. I'm a team player and I want everybody to be a team player. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Hell, you've read my mind, you know me too. Well, thank you, my friend. I really appreciate the support. You're welcome. Thankspellacher of the Red Sox would love to have me there. Oh yeah, well probably not, probably not, but we can dream anyway. Okay, we're going to put the Red Sox aside for the moment. They still have two more games with the White Sox so they can win the series. I want to get to a very serious topic. I spent this afternoon and early this evening reading a book that was sent to me by a good friend and somewhat of a colleague. Christopher J. Muse, former Superior Court judged here in Massachusetts. Was on the bench for about seventeen years, but before that practice as a lawyer. In one of the most high profile cases, that was a case involving Bobby Joe Leister. Many of you in the audience are familiar with the case, but for those of you who are not, I want to welcome Chris Muse. I should say Judge Mws but I feel I owe you. I know you well enough to say, Chris, Chris, how are you tonight?
Speaker 4: And please call me Chris. I love being a judge. I retired. It means I can talk more freely and I can make some extra money now, So Chris is much better place for me at the age of seventy plus.
Speaker 2: So right, I'm still trying to figure out how to make extra money. But I talk freely every night. So that's the one thing.
Speaker 4: You would have, the silence you never had, the silence I had. But I, first of all, I want to thank you so much for inviting me to speak with you into your audience. You know, well you know how important it was to me and my family, and as you know, and I appreciate this fact, it was so important to the Boston community at Lodge. So it's a thrill for me to be here with you tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, the title is interesting. We will use the title as the gateway to the to the conversation. The title Justice undergd the the subtitle how Faith, Hope and Charity freed an innocent man and help save a thousand lives. We'll get into the subtitle, but the title Justice under God actually comes from your high school, Boston College High School, which of course was the sworn enemy of my high school, Boston Latin School back in our days in high school.
Speaker 4: Yes, and and and and I want to let you know that that we have Rob Prochbaut right now with you and me in respect of what with the Eagles and you guys were the what we were the wolf pack? Wolf pack. That's it shouldn't be. I was there for three years. I shouldn't forget those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, oh, so you shot you, you talked, you took the short course seventh, eighth, and ninth grades.
Speaker 4: No, no, I talked you for three years.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they called me a junior master. I mean that's yeah. It was very dated. It was great, Oh it was.
Speaker 2: It was very dated, even for the day. It was very dated. So justice under God is a phrase that emanates from BC High School. It's called it's short for jug.
Speaker 4: Right, you have friends at BC High that and and they were They were probably of not bad character, but sometimes mischievous, and Judge would be called detention and discipline for any any of the kids at BC HID that got out of one. In fact, it was a system JUG for just about every Jesuit high school on the East Coast, and it was an acronym for justice under God. So you have justice more than I got more justice under God during my senior year when I was very restless than any other senior in the class. And I think I held the record for about ten years. But but I.
Speaker 2: I want I want to I want to talk about the title of the book, Justice Undergoden This this is a case. You were a newly minted or relatively minted lawyer, your dad. It was a legal legend here in Boston for many many years. And after graduating from Suffolk Law School, working doing that at nights at night, which is always tough because you were teaching in the Boston school system, you found your your work in life. And one of the first cases that landed on your desk, courtesy of your dad was the Bobby Joe Leister case. And it turned it turned out to be a huge case, and you fought every every obstacle that was thrown in your way. I can identify with some of those obstacles. Just give us some. I'm just going to take a minute or so, and then I got to take a quick break. How when you first got this case. How long did it take you to figure out this is the case that's a missed a conviction, that was a that is a miscarriage of justice.
Speaker 4: So you know, it goes right back to the the starting off point was I finished, I finished teaching, and I was given a job as a as a public defender in the Marldon Courts. That fortunately gave me the right to have a private practice to supplement. And that was how I ended up in my father's law office on my first day of being a public defender the late afternoon, and I was trying to clear space so I could, you know, work out of his office and they and I told him, I said, listen, I'm getting a little bit of money, but I need more. Can you give me some casework? And this is four or five o'clock in the afternoon. He's going through the mail and he opened up an envelope from the Federal District Court where he had been appointed to represent this fellow Bobby Joe Lista for his third petition to habeas corpus, which was unusual usually he get one and he looked it over and he said, hah, this guy's being charged convicted of murder. He's run out of appeals. Why don't you, why don't he Why don't you practice on this case? Is what he said. And he said, this guy, you know, you know, he must be a cry baby. Why is he? Why is he doing this? But this is what he said to me that was most vital. He said. I said to him, first of all, it's a murder case. I can't do it. And he said, and it's sort of like what you just mentioned about Alex Cora. You can't do any worse. He said to me, you can't do any worse than the other lawyers he had. So what happened was to get to your point, he said, I may you have to go out and talk to him face to face. Don't just rely on the papers. So to answer a question. About a week later, I went out, I spoke with him. I met this very gentle guy. He was accompanied by this jailhouse lawyer by the name of Victor. That explained to me why it was going to be a great appeal for me to take. And I walked out of it with an unflinching belief that he was telling me the truth and that he was innocent. And I went home and I read the case summary, and I saw that there were lots of variables. It was an identification case, and without knowing anything else, I knew that if it was identification, it could have been a misidentification. And it was my naivete dan more than anything else, that caused me to say, this guy is innocent. I just never had it. I was never aft to make that kind of evaluation, and that was dominant. I convinced my father to go out and speak with him, and after he spoke with Bobby, and this is a wise old guy that's been around the block many many times, and he was convinced of it as well. So we started off at this plateau March nineteen seventy seven, believing that this guy not only was innocent, but he was really screwed by the system.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to get into the story. We're going to have some folks join us. Those of you who know that Bobby Joe Leister case, you're more than welcome to call and ask questions. It was a case that came down at a different time here in Massachusetts. It may sound like incredible. There are people who are inside the prison walls who are in fact innocent, And I always emphasize Christ for people to understand the difference between not guilty when a verdict. When a jury comes back with a not guilty verdict, they are saying the Commonwealth and they're only saying the Commonwealth did not fulfill its obligation to prove all the elements of the crime that was alleged beyond a reasonable doubt. No jury comes back and says innocent, but a lawyer like yourself can get a sense sometimes. I had the same feeling the first time I met Joe Salvadi in Conquered State Prison and I asked him a couple of questions, and you have that sort of eerie feeling that this guy actually might be innocent. We want to talk about your journey. We're going to be joined on the other side by the former mayor of Springfield who was on the Governor's Council when you were able to secure a commutation, which was a very difficult thing to do. But there's so much to this story. We're going to try to get it all in in the hour. Those of you you have a question, feel free to join the conversation. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. My guest is form of Superior Court Justice Judge Chris Muse his book Justice under Got and this is a great book. I read it today. It's about one hundred and eighty so pages give you exactly as Yeah, it was a little bit longer, about one ninety and well written, easy to read, but it really does give you an understanding of how the court systems work and how reluctant. What I came away with, Chris was the reluctance of all the judges up and down in the court system to actually say, hey, there may be a problem here. Many of the judges who I think you reference here in my opinion, went out of their way to maintain the conviction, even though you folks had made so many really compelling arguments that there were at a minimum serious questions and maybe that this was indeed case of actual innocence. Back with Chris Muse and phone calls and guests, and you're going to have a You're going to go to law school for the next forty minutes, folks, whether you like it or not. So stay with us. It's a great story.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z Boston's news.
Speaker 2: Radio talk with former Massachusetts superior Court judge for many years, a defense lawyer, criminal defense lawyer. His book Justice under God, the story of his and his family. His dad was a very well respected iconic lawyer here in the Greater Boston area for decades himself. His dad a World War Two veteran who had quite a military career as well, which is incorporated into the book. But they represented the young man Bobby Joe Lista, who was arrested at the age of nineteen for murder he didn't commit. He spent more than fifteen years at a Massachusetts state prison before Bob and Chris Muse won his freedom. This is a great book. Chris on Us is Michael Albano from a mayor of Springfield, Massachusetts. Mister mayor, former Governor's Council.
Speaker 5: How are you, sir, Good evening, be a good to be with you and in Justice Muse. Thanks for having Mike.
Speaker 4: Mike nice to hear you too. Great.
Speaker 2: Let me let me, let me let the two of you explain. We're going to jump ahead a little bit here. After many appeals within the court system which fell on deaf ears, I hope I'm characterizing that correctly. Chris. You decided that the better tact might be seek a commutation, which you did finally get. But seeking a commutation was difficult because the practice of commutations in those days required that the inmate, before commutation would be given, had to express regret and sorrow for the crime that he had committed. And your client was insistent that he had nothing to apologize for because he did commit the crime. And maybe the two of you can explain how you were able to work around that. I guess Michae o'bono gave you some pretty good advice on this, Chris. Why don't you start it then, Mike, we can work you into the conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me let me get let me get to another very important waypoint, as we call it. In nineteen eighty five, we'd exhausted all of our appeals. We've been out and down the federal courts. We had three times in front of the Supreme Judicial Court. We kept getting pushed back because the courts are reluctant to overturn these kinds of convictions back in the day, and I went out to see Bobby and I told them the bad news, and he said, explain to me, why did they do this to me? And I said, he said, you got a fair trial, and he looked at me and he said, how could I have gotten a fair trial if I'm innocent? And I said, listen, Bobby, you got to be patient. You got a second I'm going to get you a commutation. Now. At that time, I had no idea how to do it, but he did because everyone that was serving a second or first degree murder case knew exactly what the formula was. And he basically screamed at me a little bit and he said to me, I won't even get a hearing until I've been in for twenty years, and I'll be too old to have a family. I remember that vividly. And then he said to me, and I'm never going to say I'm sorry, and he won't let me do it. So those were the rules. I got the actual regulations myself. And then, because I'm always looking for guidance, I knew who was going to be my guiding light. It was my friend from another source. He was a probation officer, and I knew Mike from many many years before this, who were very good friends. So I called him up and I said, if you go over to the public house, I'll buy you a beer and give me give me, give me a lecture on how I handle a commutation. And he gave it to me, and he gave me the best advice ever. I'll sum it and then I think summarize it. He said, you're going to have to be able to of all, make a compelling case as to why it's possible or plausible that this skid is innocent. I said, I'll do it. The second thing is, if you get through us, you have to go political. That is, the governance council has to approve it, so you're gonna have to favorable publicity for it. And that was critical as well, because if he said, if the board gives you the commutation, the governor has to have some kind of popular push and as well as a governance council. And that caused me to be able to reach out to another fellow that ended up recruiting a very important cause of this machine, a guy by the name of Charlie Kenny, who was a writer of the Globe that wrote an incredibly compelling argument about Bobby's case, made it into the Boston Globe magazine, and that caused to get some new evidence. But I want to go right back, and I'll let Mike explain what it was about when and how being able to get a commutation dependent upon either saying you sorry or getting the board to waive it. And Mike, Mike, go ahead.
Speaker 2: We got a couple of minutes here before the newsbreak. We may have to pick it up on the other side. But again, I know a little bit about commutations from the Salvadi case. The NT easy tell us some what advice you gave Chris and how he followed it.
Speaker 5: Sure well, you have to also remember that not only did a petitioner have to come before us and express remorse, and even if they got through the Advisory Board of Pardons, then it had to go to the governor. You may recall the Governor Ducoccus was in office in the nineteen eighties, but he had been beaten by ed King in nineteen seventy eight, and a lot of it, a lot of that election revolved around the fact that Governor Ducaccus issued fifty seven commutations of first and second degree murders. That was the thing to do in those days. So we went from a very liberal criminal justice system and Department of Corrections into a conservative mode under Ed King. So when Ducacus came back, he was still reeling from all the commutations that he'd given and he was not in favor of doing any commutations during his second term of office. So when Chris came to see me, I gave him that advice and I said, look, the advisory board, apart in the Parole Board, is really not accepting the fact that someone is innocent. This is just the way it is. They you do have to make a compelling case. And in those days that's how it was. And Chris is credit and to his team. They made the case.
Speaker 4: We met with the.
Speaker 5: Individual members of the Parole Board and the case was so compelling that we had a hearing and we were prepared to issue a favorable recommendation to the governor.
Speaker 2: And this is in the nineteen eighties. This is before the Willie Horton debicle that caused Mike Tacacas to stop giving commutations after that debiclet this was this was when he was returned to office, but before the Willie Horton case. But it still was a difficult blessing to get from a governor. But again, you I know, were important on the board at the time, and there's a lot of pressure brought, I believe to members of the Governor's Council, were pressures brought to the Governor's Council by law enforcement to back off these commutations.
Speaker 5: If I recall, well, there's no question about it, and you know very well dealing with Doe Salvadi and Peter Lamoni and Lewis Greco and Henry Timilio, which is a very tragic case of Massachusetts history. But it's political. It does get political. It's very legalistic as well. You have to make your case before the courts had exhaust all administrative remedies, legal remedies, before you come to the Advisory Board of Pardons and the Governor's Council. So it's political, it's challenging, and that's why very few of these commutations that ever go through.
Speaker 2: And if I'm not mistaken, and I don't want to go too far in this, depending upon what you want to say, I believe that some members of the Governor's Council have at times been actually threatened by law enforcement officials or people perhaps who are no longer law enforcement officials. If you get my.
Speaker 5: Drift, Well, that has happened, Dan, That's absolutely happened. But the Chris's point as well is the media played a very important role. And if it wasn't for you, Dan, righty, I'm not sure Joe Salbody would have ever been released from prison. But the favorable media that Salvadi got and Bobby Joe Lister got through Chrismus in the Boston Globe played a very big part in the release of Leister, and it was critical to this whole process.
Speaker 2: I call it the court of public opinion, and Chris was very wise to enlist your advice and counsel. Let me do this, gentlemen, if it's okay, I got to take a quick break for news to come back. Mike, if you could stay with us for a moment or two, I'd appreciate it. And Chris muse Obviously, I want to get to the story. I want to briefly touch upon the frustrations because they don't want to gloss over it. But I think it's more important to talk about your success and what Bobby Joe Leister was able to accomplish as a civilian, as a freedman as a result again of your efforts and your dad's efforts, because I think that's a big part of the story that people for us to tell him, Yeah, he was innocent, he did do the crime. We know that, and your book proves that. But the results, the fruit of your work is the amount of work that Bobby joe Leister did in his post conviction period of time, which may have saved a lot of lives at a very critical time in Boston into the nineteen nineties. I want to get to that part of the book as well. I think you know exactly what I'm talking about, Chris, I would be back on side right after this quick news break at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's Nice Eye with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We really have two guests. Chris Muse, former Superit Court judge here in Massachusetts, who's written a book Justice under God, All Faith, Hope and Charity Freed And and how how faith, hope and charity freed an innocent man and helped saved save a thousand lives talking about his client, Bobby joe Leister, who spent fifteen years in prison for murder he didn't commit. Chris, if you could, and again, I know this is tough to encapsulate on the air, give us a quick encapsulation of how you really became convinced beyond your instinct, but became convinced legally that Bobby Joe Lester had been framed for this murder, a murder of a variety store owner that he just didn't do.
Speaker 4: He's a long involved one, and I'll I'll try to give it kind of quickly.
Speaker 2: Particularly interested in the suggestive identification.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the most important part. There was a robbery September twenty seventh in Cardman Square small variety store, the Talbot Variety, and two guys walked in and they bullied the woman behind the stand, Missus Whiteside, and her husband came out because they had a gun and he wanted money. And the husband came out saw them attacking his wife, and he took up a glass or a cup and smashed it on the one of the assailants who shot him, grabbed the money and ran and he was killed instantly. The police came and they gave a description over the airwaves and it was wanted for armed robbery and murder. Two blackmailes six feet tall, both dirty look and eating shaves, one of whom was wearing a black shirt in green pants and had a hat. Now fast forward to your old neighborhood, because I know you played hockey at the Boston Arena and I did too, and so I knew who this was. And way on the other side of town, right way on the other side of town. Bobby was walking on the street. He was talking to some friends. He's in the south end St. Petel Street, over by the Symphony and that neighborhood, and a police car came by, did a reverse saw him, pointed to him and said, hey, we want to talk to you about that murder that happened over in Dorchester. And what they did was they picked him up. They brought him down to Boston City Hospital under what the court said was to make a bedside confrontation with a dying victim. And of course the police did not know them as what the judge says, in point of fact, mister Whiteside was dead when he left the store under a sheet and brought basically to the emergency room further and then further to the mug In any event, Missus Whiteside is distraught. They said, we think we have a guy that you might might have been involved with something to that effect. They take her outside the pocket lot the sea Bobby taken outside of the cruiser. It was actually a paddy wagon. I can use that expression. It was taken out of the I know you and I could talk later about it, and so that he was able to be seeing handcuffed, she says, can I take a closer look? They go over there, and they do take a closer look and says, yep, that's the man that killed my husband. And well that was the beginning of the tragedy because that identification was as dirty and sullied as it could ever be, and she never went behind it.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, essentially, we're just saying she was brought there by the police in intentionally knowing an events that that was going.
Speaker 4: To be there. Yeah, she she she. The trial didn't indicate the certitude of his death, but later on, later on we found out from witnesses that one hundred percent she she she she knew he was saying, they took a run, they took him out with the cup with the sheet over said, in any.
Speaker 2: Effect, they in effect they did a one person lineup.
Speaker 4: They did it in the worst of circumstances. The woman, the woman had especially seen her husband pronounced dead. The police were giving all these indications and in order to be able to unravel that identification a trial, well, it was impossible because Bobby's lawyer was not that competent, to be honest with you, and in any event, uh, you asked me how we were able to unravel it and keep up heads above water. Is that we just would. We were assiduous, We were relentless about getting all of the evidence. And that all happened because I was under the direction of the master. My father was a great lawyer and he knew that you have to get the facts. And we just scoured the record for everything, and we brought appeals in front of the successive judges to say that, you know, the grand jury minutes said that there was there was confusion, there was there was misidentifications. The police lied about the circumstances of it. Bobby Joe had a had a time X watch when he was arrested, and the guy that did the killing had lost his Bolivar watch at the store. He only had a few bucks in his pocket. And the big one they told you earlier was that we discovered that there was a They called a paraffin test as a shorthand expression, but it's a gunpowder residue test that they performed, and when Bobby was arrested, he said, we want to take samples of your hands and he says, what will it do? He says, well, it will show whether you whether you whether you shot a gun recently, Which hand do you use? You or right? You're lefty. When you heard the explanation, he said to the cops, take both of my hands. So they sent the sent the test down to the FBI and it came back with there was no gunpowder residue on them. But the report said that the results were quote unquote inconclusive. And that's another storyline that that was that I can't get into because it's studios. At the end of the day, the end of the day, we weren't able to persuade anyone.
Speaker 2: Well, I know. But the point that I wanted to make is that as I read the book today and refamiliarize myself with your case, any lawyer I should get this book to read it just to understand. You used the word assiduous, and that's exactly you would you folks, were you got to be a dog on a bone on these sorts of cases. Uh, And you certainly were dogs on a bone. You were not going to give up. You kept digging and digging and digging, and you know, to carry the metaphor you you weren't going to bury the bone. You were just going to keep digging and digging and digging, and that obviously helped you with the commutation, and it eventually led to the freedom of Bobby joe Leister. And what I want to do is, I want to take a quick break, and I want to bring not only Counselor and Mayor Albano back into the conversation, but I wanted most importantly to have you explain the work that Bobby joe Leister did unfortunately fire. Yeah, I want to talk about his legacy, which of course never would have occurred without your help, your assistance, your legal assistants, and your dad's legal work, which again, people often look at lawyers and they look at them somewhat skeptically. And the only time people don't look at lawyers skeptically sometimes when they need a lawyer. We'll take a quick break. I'm going to be back with Chris Muse and also former mayor of Springfield Michael Albano, who served on the Governance Council which gave the commutation, and if I can get a couple of calls in, I will buy. I most importantly want you to hear the story, and I want you to get the book Justice Under God by Chris Muse m Us former Superior Court judge. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Talking with Chris Muse, former Superior Court judge here in Massachusetts, who, along with his dad, Bob Muse, a lawyer for many many years, a legendary lawyer in Boston, along with his son, worked for many years to free a man named Bobby Joe Least many of you have heard about the case. You can read about it in a new book by Chris, Justice Under God. With Us. Also is Michael Albano, former mayor of Springfield, amongst other things, that served under the Governor's Council and one of the votes that freed Bobby Joe Lester allowed him to leave prison. Gentlemen, quick comment on realizing that not only Bobby Joe Leister's legacy, but Chris your legacy as well as Council Albino's legacy, are very much involved in this because obviously, without the work of both of your work and Mike's vote, Bobby Jolista might have died in prison. Just give us a quick example, Chris, of what Bobby was able to accomplish in his life. And we don't have a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Left, and I'm going to give it. Yeah, I got first of all, say that Bobby came out of reform Alabama segregated itself, unblemish record, A happy kid came to Boston for freedom, you know, for the liberty that he thought he was going to get it till he didn't have it anymore. But when he spent the first night in Walpole Prison, he describes he was putting the cell. It was doc and he cried for his mother, and he prayed to God, and he had that indomitable fate that a few of us are blessed with. And that's the thing that sustained him. He said, he said, I left my soul in that he of the Good Master above, and he would repeat that regularly to me. He believed that everything was going to turn out alright because God was going to take care of him. So when he got out, we're talking about a guy that is just I think he's a near perfect human being, is remarkable person. He became not only a former client up front, he was like a brother to me, and he was like a son to my father. And when he got out he was looking for work for future. I encouraged him to sign up with the Boston Street Workers program. There was a brand new program and it was basically to work on the streets with the most at risk kids in the city. He did it for thirty years, and he did more, and people that are in the city that became prominently Tracy Lithgutt and Robert Lewis and others, they will tell you that he was the anchor for this program to get the kids steered straight. But in one year he had what was called the Boston Miracle when they were able to negotiate and Bobby was part of it, a ceasefire with all these burgeoning gangs out there to reduce the homicides for people less than seventeen to zero. And before that you were seeing little twelve year old girls being shot and killed, and kids all over the place, dozens of them, and Bobby and his team of street workers brought them all down. He became an icon Bobby and I used to speak to youth groups and our favorite one is a group called the Judicial Youth Corp. We did it for like thirty years. We had to stop. I never stopped doing it. But Bobby died tragically in a home fire in twenty twenty. But U Killer's death, he got out in the streets. Everyone in the neighborhoods, particularly in Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester, everyone knew Bobby, and Bobby was a peacemaker. Bobby was a guy that gave support. He's the one that helped them get jobs, etc. And he died. When he died, Mayor Walsh during the COVID press release first conferences he had every day asked the city to give him a moment of silence because he was one of the favorite sons of the city. He was just blessed. So I guess I'm telling you. You know, in a short hand thirty years of working. He told me he had to attend more than eight hundred funerals of young people that were victims of violence because he either knew them or he was there to give protection during the services. So I mean he was just remarkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris, when you get a quick comment from Michael Obonam. Mike, I know that as the mayor of Springfield you were dealing with a lot of these issues as well. How important is it in your mind you the vote that you cast for his commutation, How important is in your mind, particularly with the success and the work that he did all these years in Boston.
Speaker 5: Well, when I was mayor, I brought Bobby Joe came out to Springfield to do a press conference with us because we were opposed to the death penalty at the time. This is probably nineteen ninety seven. You may recall the State Senate passed a version approving of the death penalty by a voter twenty six to fourteen. It also passed the House of Representatives, and Governor Weld would have signed it at the House not reconsidered. Now, Lester got to Tom Finneran, who was the Speaker of the House at the time, and he also got to John Slattery of State Representative Peabody at the time, and he flipped both of their votes with his story that an innocent man could in fact be executed in Massachusetts. Now, we don't think much about the death penalty in Massachusetts these days, but it was a pretty hot issue there, and Bobby Joe Leister campaigned across the Commonwealth telling his story and it changed the dynamics of the state legislature. And that's why we don't have a death penalty today.
Speaker 2: Well, that fight for the death penalty came in the in the wake of the killing of the young Curly boy though those two horrific human beings who kidnapped him. Then we could have a we could have a long conversation about that case. But uh, you know, and and also Bob Curley, the young boy's dad, I think, also came out against the death penalty at that time, which was a remarkable show of strength and I know I would never have had that is for sure. Well, gentlemen, I want to thank you both very much, but I want to give a couple of callers who have hung on here an opportunity to express their their thoughts. And I'm going to ask them to be both very quick. But they've waited for almost a half an hour, So let me first go to Joe and Belmont. Joe, Uh, I know you've waited a long time. A quick comment on the case for either Chris Muse, former Superior Court judge or former Governor's councilor Michael Albano.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Joe, Then could I call the twentieth hour? Since I called the nine o'clock hour, you.
Speaker 2: Always get a haul passing the twentieth hour. Go ahead, talk about question.
Speaker 6: My question is I don't know if the judge Chris wants to answer this or not, but does he think that Karen Reid has been framed?
Speaker 2: I don't want to go to the Karen read case. Joe. We'll talk that about that in the twentieth hour. Thanks very much, Mark and Austin. Mark, if you'd like to join the conversation very quickly, go right ahead, yup. Then it goes Mark. We lost Mark, okay, take Joe was done? Please Rob, Thank you very much. Chris. I just want to read a little bit of a technical issue there. I'm sorry, and again bring in the other case. The book Justice Undergod is available. It's on Amazon. How else can people get it?
Speaker 4: I think that's the way. I think Bonds and Noble has a tool. But if you just go on to it's not in the stores because it's this is a new way of doing it. But if you don't mind giving a little shout out I'm dedicating every one of my royalties for the next year to the New England Innocence Project. And I have a I have a boutique publisher if you want that that that put put the book on the market. And I want everyone to know that if they buy the book, that that five or six dollars what I would have gotten is royalty is going directly to the New England Innocence Project to continue to promote awareness for wrongful convictions that that you and and Mike and I know so well and also support the funding and they can get it. Basically, Amazon's the easiest way jumps right out of that you and so I encourage anyone to learn a little bit more. There's two things. Learn a little bit about the criminal justice system and learn a whole lot about this incredible human being that we were blessed to have in Boston.
Speaker 2: It's just it's a great book. And by the way, the characters who you were in front of, Federal Judge McNaught was a professor Binet b you, as was Paul Leacos, the former state Supreme Court justice here in Massachusetts. It's a great book, uh, and it will teach everybody a lot more about I think the criminal justice system and how once you're convicted. We all learned in law school what the standard of proof is to convict someone all the elements of crime charged beyond a reasonable doubt. There is no standard. There is no standard to free an innocent man, and you were able to free an innocent man. Congratulations to you, Chris Muse, and also congratulations to Mike Albano. Mike, we need more public figures in public servants like you who will take a tough vote as you did on this commutation case and made a big difference in the life of Bobby, Joe Lester and thousands of young men who he counseled with during his thirty years of freedom. I want to thank you both for what you've done well.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me again.
Speaker 5: Thank you to me with you, Jen, Mike.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you again as well. It's an amazing story, folks. It's available Justice under God by Christopher Muse. You will learn so much about the case, but you'll learn more about the criminal justice system and the concept of finality, which is I think still relied upon much too often by appellate court justices. But that's my own bias. When we come back right after the newscast, we are going to talk about home remodeling. We have a design build contractor. You have all sorts of questions. He's got all the answers back on Night's side right after the ten o'clock news