Speaker 1: Welcome to Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life. I'm Jen Stevens, author of the New York Times bestseller Fast Feast.
Speaker 2: Repeat, and I'm Sherry Bullock, longtime intermittent faster and health and wellness advocate. Please keep in mind that this podcast is for educational and motivational purposes only and is not intended to provide medical or diagnostic advice. Jen and I are not doctors, so make sure to check with your trusted healthcare professionals before making changes, especially when it comes to any medical treatments or medications.
Speaker 1: Whether you're new to intermittent fasting or an experienced intermittent faster, tune in each week to get inspired, to learn, and to have some fun along the way. Hi, everybody, we are so glad you're here today. Welcome to this week's episode of the Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life Podcast. How are you doing today, Sherry.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. Mella frazzled? Uh oh, where are you frazzled?
Speaker 1: It's just been a weird week so far.
Speaker 2: We lost power last night and I had kind of opened my window but hadn't eaten really just had a little snack. I literally had like a handful of grapes and was going to start cooking dinner and.
Speaker 1: We lost power.
Speaker 2: Oh so then we ended up ordering Dominoes.
Speaker 1: I didn't even for people still eating domino Sorry Dominoes.
Speaker 2: So yeah, of course, you know, at worked Sunday night. I'd slept about two hours yesterday, and I'm always extra hungry when you know, I'm sleep deprived as everybody is. And I didn't really want pizza, and so I ended up ordering their one of their pastas, which actually wasn't too bad. I created my own basta and added feta and spinach to it, and.
Speaker 1: I have not had Dominoes, like I speared to god. It might have been twenty years. I didn't know you could create your own pasta.
Speaker 2: I got really excited because they have salads too, and they look delicious. But then there may be lettuce and I can't do guy sperg lettus.
Speaker 1: So we are not sponsored by Dominos or no. No.
Speaker 2: But then I went to bed last night, I could just like feel my hands swelling, and like I was like, I'm gonna take my rings off before I go to sleep. I may not wight wake up the middle of the night and I'll be able to get them off. I'm not used to eatings like stuff like that. Yeah, and then this morning I woke up my husband hydroplaned in his work truck.
Speaker 1: He's got a big box truck, and so he's freaked out. He can't have a wreck. He did not have a wreck. That's good, thankfully. He came right back home. Oh and my husband's very high anxiety.
Speaker 2: And anyways, he's had tires on order but just hasn't been able to get the truck to the shop to get them put on. So he was like, we've got to get You've got to get up right now. You've got to take me to the shop. So and you know me, I'm not I like to ease into my day. Once I ease into my day, i can go full thrott all the rest of the day. But I'm I'm gonna ease. And so it was like, you know, somebody splashed water on me this morning. I've been running ever since.
Speaker 1: I've had a running. I'm not hungry.
Speaker 2: I'd have like a big well that's good, you know, stressed out hunger thing, but not hungry.
Speaker 1: That's good. Well, I'm super excited because I'm starting a new project, which I've talked to you about, but I am finally, finally going to be officially starting a Jen Stevens YouTube channel. Love it, I know, and you know all and whenever anyone asked me, I always said, no, I don't want to do video.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to dow thy seventeen.
Speaker 1: Like literally, people are like, why don't you have a YouTube channel? Like I don't want to. I don't want to have video. And I also didn't used to watch anything on YouTube, which honestly, I think it's only been a year that I've been a YouTube consumer of content and now I'm like, oh oh, I love YouTube. So what's really cool is my son Will is going to be my video editor. He's you know, he's twenty five. He knows how to do stuff like that. Like he had his first YouTube channel when he was twelve years old, So I love that he was on YouTube thirteen years ago. He and his friends had a channel. And so just all of a sudden, like the time feels right to do it. So he's gonna help me and going into going into business together kind of kind of reminds me of when Cal did the window app. Which he's no longer associated with, and now I'm using Will's creator skills to help me, because that's been kind of what holds me back is feeling like where do I begin? Who helps me with this? Trying to hire people that I don't want to edit video, right, I want to do? I get that.
Speaker 2: I mean like when I wanted to start the Life Lessons podcast and I was like, if I didn't have you to like ask questions and then you jumped on board with that whole project, I would have been lost.
Speaker 1: I didn't know the first thing about.
Speaker 2: Starting a podcast and exactly, so I mean just even like who do you use to edit it? And then you know, like I know other people too, like our friend Bet who had the big bold Life podcast, which I don't think she's doing it anymore. I think it was just too much for it because she was self editing and she was not about having hour a week that she's using self editing it. And I just thought, I don't have I'm not a computer genius one of those people that if I can click and point and it does it great and if it doesn't, I'm gonna call the help desk. I mean, yeah, so it's great having somebody that everybody has their skill set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I always was like, I don't really want to be on video, Like it's scary to be on video. I don't know why I'm on YouTube all over the place people who have had me on their episodes that have video podcasts, so literally, like you can find one hundred videos with me on it. So I'm like, why am I not just making my own content? But it just finally felt right again. I guess I had to be on YouTube as a consumer for a year. But my channel's not ready yet. I mean it might be by the time this episode comes out on June fourth, but I'll put it out by email and then I'll let everybody know officially when it's up and going, But who knows how long it will take. I'm figuring it all out. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I love that you just always you when things feel right to you, you just dive in.
Speaker 1: Well I do. And I also, like Chad always said, you just jump into things, and I'm like, really, I'd never jump into anything because I've already been percolating it in my mind for like years and then you know, gathering and then just all of a sudden, I'm like, now it's right. It's always like, it's a very intuitive feeling. When something feels right, it feels right, and it doesn't feel right until it feels right. So yep. Anyway, that's how my brain works. It's constantly thinking and then.
Speaker 2: You have that aha moment where it all clicks and I'm like, now it's and then yeah, exactly, Literally everything.
Speaker 1: Is like that.
Speaker 2: Well that's the way it worked when we like changed the structure of the Facebook group and then when we made the decision to close the Facebook group because it got just too out of hand, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't a spur of the moment decision. It was percolating for a long time.
Speaker 2: I mean it seemed like it. I was actually with Jen when she made the decision. I think it was when we decided that we were going to close the Facebook group to to post posts and said we just had a place where people could ask questions and answers each day. And you got you literally we were at the beach. You got out the shower and you said, I've made a decision. I always think of things to the show, and I've said when do you want to start that? Like, do you want to start that the first month, and Genaz, I want to start that right now.
Speaker 1: We're going to do that right now. Well, and I don't know if anybody knows the behind the scenes of what happened, but it was there was a very a member was like having some problematic issues while I was asleep, and so some moderators were trying to deal with this very problematic member that like went insane and then started like taking out her frustrations on what was going on. Meanwhile, I'm asleep. You're asleep. You're asleep because it's the middle of the night where we were. And I woke up in the morning and all this had gone on behind the scenes, and in the moderator chat, everybody was like what do we do?
Speaker 2: What we do?
Speaker 1: Jen's asleep and they're like, well, let's just block her from the group and then jenkin to handle it in the morning. Well, and between that time and when I woke up, she went nuts. The person who had been blocked and went and made really really negative comments on Fast Feast repeat reviews on Amazon and it had just come out like literally like that week, and and she like said all these terrible things about me, and I wasn't even involved in the decision, and it was like a one star review with a bunch of really negative stuff and I wasn't even involved in the issue. And I'm like, Okay, this is not good. There's too much potential for people to get really really upset on Facebook. And I'm like, we gotta we got to postop to this, Like I can't be worried about this. I got to sleep sometimes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, i't to say Jenna's not available twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: I'm a human, I am not a robot. And sometimes I sleep, and sometimes I got to dinner, and sometimes it's Mother's Day, and you know, anyway, I was like, I just I can't. I can't be always worried that someone's not going to handle something the way I would, and then someone's going to retaliate, and that would just really it really upset me. So yeah, and then you know, it's funny to me, I was just thinking while you were talking. When we had the Facebook group and people would submit questions, you know, we had post approval turned on, so as moderators, we would read the question and then we would approve it. Some things we just didn't approve because they were just way off topic or didn't align with the principles of the clean fast as we you know, know it or whatever, and so we would a lot of and some things were just very repetitive, and we would answer their question kind of behind the scenes and send them their response without posting it. And but if.
Speaker 2: Somebody's posted and get approved in like two minutes, they would post it again and they'd be like, I don't know why you won't want to answer my question, and it's like, we're fifty deep, we haven't even got to your question yet. And so it was funny to me that I just thought, you know, over since we went to a private online community, people will post things, but they are like so much more patient. I know, oh you know, it's five o'clock in the morning where you Jenn's at and she's maybe not awake yet, and they just wait for Jen to get to their posts and answer their question, and I will get there eventually posting their question three more times saying Jen.
Speaker 1: Where are you? What is Jen? Derek? One time when we were when I was teaching, before I had moderators, it was just me doing it to buy myself. There was some guy who got really mad that someone had posted a post this before we had post approval, people just posted stuff. This is when I think all I had was the one Mula Day group. Someone posted something weird and controversial. I don't know what it was. I can't even remember. But then somebody else got so mad that I would allow that. But literally, I'm teaching school. I'm teaching school in box. My messenger's blowing up because all this is happening, and I'm like, sorry, children, I don't know what's happening. And then this guy's bashing me. I can't believe I'm unfollowing. I'm never going to listen to another thing, Jen says. I'm like, oh my gosh, what's happen Anyway, I didn't even know what was going on because I was teaching elementary school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for anybody who wonders why we're not on Facebook anymore, it just got out of control. I had three groups and there were over five hundred thousand people, so it's nuts, and we imagine everybody changed that on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was a lot. But the having our online community, that's just that we didn't start off. We'll have a head for community today, but having our online community where people actually don't just wander in off the Facebook street. They have to intentionally go to Gen Stevens dot com slash community to join it. And you know, it's not a lot to join. It's like nine to ninety nine a month. You know, you can go in for the year for half that, but it's not a lot. But the people who are there are invested, right that that little bit of investment, like literally not ninety nine a month. If you're an intermittent faster, you save way more than ninety nine a month living the intermittent fasting lifestyle, right, And so you know, intermittent fasting is the lifestyle that pays for itself. Even if you joined the community, you're still making money, but just having that little bit, you know, it just the people who are there want to be there. They're looking for help in a positive place, and they also understand the clean fast which is really huge. So yeah, no.
Speaker 2: One I want that way that the community has really come together and people really support each other and people are really forming real friendships in there and meeting people in real life. Some people met up in Indianapolis last week or last weekend, and then some more people met up again just yesterday and they posted some pictures and like one of our committee members is going to meet up with some people in Indiana sometimes the summer, I think, and she lives in Colorado, and.
Speaker 1: So I just love to see it.
Speaker 2: We had a group of girls go to Vegas and had a girls in Vegas and so it's not I mean, it's it's so much deeper than just a random I.
Speaker 1: Have yete in my fast right, It's not just like that and people post. What when you know it's a community is when people are posting things about their lives that might not even be related to fasting, but then the community is happy to hear about it, right, Yeah, like, look, I have a new grand baby, you know, right, you don't have to say I have a new grand baby and it's affected my fad. No, well, having an awful.
Speaker 2: Day and she said, I know this isn't fasting related, but I'm having awful day blah blahlahlah blah, and I'm really trying not to see myself with food. And I'm like, that is totally that is totally fasting related. And secondly, you could share anything. I'm like, everything in life is fasting related. Really everything from you. They didn't have your favorite bread at the.
Speaker 3: Grocery store too, you had a really bad day at work, or your boss stressed you out, or you lost your job, Because that's all going to affect how you feel and how you react and how you handle.
Speaker 2: You know that those strong emotions and whether or not you choose to soothe with food and have a longer window, or you decide to stick firm and stick with your window and do something else to feel better, or you know, even if it's just come into community just to vents and to get some support from others.
Speaker 1: And so I just I love.
Speaker 2: I love what community has become and how much deeper it's it's become. And so the people who don't want that, they pop in, they share their daily successes, They shared their you know, they went to the gym each day or whatever it is. Everybody makes the community, they use it in a way that benefits them, and it's it's just great.
Speaker 1: For that, I think. So I didn't realize how many people we have that just work.
Speaker 2: And eventually they'll make their first post like nine months after being there.
Speaker 1: Or not even at all, Like there's somebody there that I didn't know was still coming and I posted something personally and when when you know? When we talked about this on the podcast how Chad is in north of Godston Now and I made a post about it in the community and I heard from people who had read it and sent me private message. I didn't know they were still actively engaged. Oh, and I'm like, oh, you're still there. So people are still there. They're reading. But a lot of people just like to consume the content. But for everybody who's listening to the podcast, if you're someone who just comes in in and reads and that's it, maybe maybe you've been burned on real social media because hey, I get it right. You know, one thing we don't allot We don't allow any politics. We don't allow people to make fun of your food. I mean, we don't allow that in our community. We don't really have people trying to do all that, but we don't. Thank goodness, but just take some time to comment on the post of others like that is the one thing I would like to encourage everybody to do. You don't have to make your own posts. If you don't want to do, not make your own posts unless you're comfortable. That's fine. But every time you visit, say I'm going to comment on five other posts, and you might also think that you don't have anything to like, well, I can't give any advice. I'm not jen I'm not surey, I don't know. You can give advice. And what happens is when you give someone else's advice, like someone's like, I'm really trying, you know, not to put something in my coffee. I don't know what to do because I'm struggling today. If you tell someone you can do it, you can just keep fast and clean, that helps you feel more motivated to fast clean. Or if you tell somebody you had a bad day and it's okay, don't beat yourself up, then you internalize that for yourself as well. So all of the good advice you're giving to other people, you take on that good advice. So commenting on the posts of others helps them, and that's one reason why we have a great community. But it also helps you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and I was gonna say, even if you aren't comfortable posting, when you read, I find this when you read other people's posts with their struggles or their concerns or whatever, and then you read the comments back to them. I feel like you learned so much, Like you just take in so much you're like, oh, I never thought of it that way, or and it just really opens your mind up. And then as you start seeing people encourage other people and whatever, it grows. It's kind of like you know, if you smile at one person, they're gonna smile at another. Like smile spread. It's kind of that same thing. It's that, you know, encouragement. And then like as like Jin said, as you start encouraging other people and you talk to them in an encouraging manner, then when you start catching yourself talk to yourself negatively, you know, I can't do this, I can't do that. And if you can stop and be like, would I tell somebody in the community that no, what I tell them?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And then you have practice encouraging people. So then you have now you can turn around, you can use those words on yourself, and you can change the tapes in your head and the words you say to yourself in your head, and so it just grows. It just grows. I don't I just think it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: So I think so too. Enough of that, yeah, Jim Jem dot com slash community, but we really would love to have y'all there because it just makes such a difference. I really think it's helped me stay on tracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I always get really upset, I don't. Sometimes I get behind on the weekends because I'm working and sleeping. You know, i might work for thirteen hours and try to try to sleep for eight, So that doesn't leave a lot a lot of time to get in community unless I'm just having a slow night at work. And then something will happen during the weekend, somebody that make a post and they'll like allude to something that they said earlier, and I'm like, I don't remember that, because I feel like I know pretty much all the people and all the posts. So then I'll have to go back and look at their past posts, and like I'll miss something. I'll miss some event or something that happened. I feel like so out of the loop, and then I have.
Speaker 1: To get caught up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's like I can't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard for me to support you when I don't know what you're going through. So then I have to go dig into some research and but we do.
Speaker 1: We do look back on past posts and see if someone's having a challenge. We're like, let's see what's been going on. And yep, Like if on day one and they've posted on one day one forty two times, we know they need a different kind of support, right right, Yeah, yep. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you've been afraid to join, or you think you're not a group person, or you don't think you need support, I would encourage you to join for one month. We re still had somebody do that. She was going to join for her twenty eight day fast start and that was it. She was just going to get helped through the twenty eight days. And then she said, oh my gosh, I love it here so much.
Speaker 1: I'm not leaving.
Speaker 2: I just re up for a year. And so yeah, we give it a shot, because I think you'll be surprised. All right, Well, let's move on to our weekly celebration, and this week we have a celebration from.
Speaker 1: Proud in Pittsburgh. She wrote.
Speaker 2: Recently, my hubby and I, who have been fasting since September of twenty twenty three, drove ten hours from Pittsburgh to Iowa City. I didn't open my eating window until two pm, even though road trips have always been full of crappy, processed, snacky and or rust stop food. Instead, I held out packed some healthy snacks and opened with almonds and apple and some yummy, healthy dried at a mommy in the car. Then that evening, we indulged in our old favorite pizza for dinner, and we followed it up with some yummy desserts. Funny enough, I experienced major appetite correction with my brownie Sunday dessert. Although I've always loved, love, love chocolate, for the very first time in my life, I said, there's too much chocolate here, and I stopped eating about halfway through the dessert. This is a groundbreaking thing for me, like literally groundbreaking. I felt so much better in the morning having only eaten half of the dessert, and I was able to eat the other half the following night.
Speaker 1: When when I love it proud in Pittsburgh, that is really great. And the thing is, we have so many stories in our head like, oh, I'm not gonna get to have my typical.
Speaker 4: Roads snacks right instead, though, you're like I am not going to have those typical road snacks, and you made different choices and you didn't feel like you were missing out on anything.
Speaker 1: You went to the place you loved to eat. You ate until you'd had enough, and then you stopped. That's amazing. Yep. All right, Now we have question from a listener. This question is from Tiffany Kim in Louisville. I've been struggling and was just on my morning walk listening to the Fast Feast Repeat podcast when I had a light bulb moment. I need to ask Gin and Sherry for their advice. I'm almost forty one years old. I'm five ft two and a half inches. I was adopted from South Korea at three months old into a Caucasian family. I'm only now realizing that I've had self identity and self image issues my whole life. As a young child, I couldn't find the words to describe my feelings, and I felt like I had no one to talk to. I remember my very first diet. I think I was around eleven. I had a neighborhood friend who was tall and had a large her frame. Her parents made her go on a diet, and at some point she did sugar Busters and the cabbage soup diet. Oh, I remember that you sugar Sugarbusters. I don't know. I don't really Sugarbusters wasn't a thing where I was from, and I've heard of it, but it was low car. But the guy diet when we do know that the sugar Busters was, he was like, you might have been from like Alabama. He was from our Louisiana. He was from some southern state, but it was it was low carb. I had it, you know, I had it, so she said, So I did too. It's crazy to think about now that my mom allowed it. We would we would have needed help getting to the grocery store for those specific foods. And that's when it all started. I've tried every single diet out there, low carb, low calorie, weight Watchers, Fentermine, hCG GLP ones. I even did a modified low calorie diet under the supervision of a bariatric surgeon, thinking surgery would be my last resort. I've been a notorious daily wear since I got my first spy bound planner in high school. Yes, I have all of my weight history since then. I started fasting on February twenty ninth of twenty twenty, and I thank God for that timing. Right before COVID, if I had gone into the pandemic. Without fasting, I don't know where i'd be. A friend recommended, delayed on, deny on audible. I started that very day. I had great success, and honestly, fasting saved me during COVID, being stuck at home at no restaurants, and we found ways to stay active outside. I immediately lost a lot of inflammation, especially in my face. I vividly remember posting a face to face photo in your Facebook group and it got over five thousand likes. I was blown away. Lately, I've tried to stay off the scale because it messes with my mind. I've been taking daily progress photos, nothing fancy, just a quick picture of myself in the morning, and using an app called See How You Eat. It's a daily photologue with six squares and I'll fill them with pictures from my day. Yesterday, I felt great. I wore my sized medium shirt and pants. I walked over seven miles, and I did a poll day routine at the gym. I wonder if that was full day. It's a pull day? Well Day said that what is pull day? She was on to talk about it later? Oh, okay, she said, I completed a twenty nine hour fast yesterday afternoon, I had a six month follow up, actually eight months since I had rescheduled due to anxiety about the photos with my plastic surgeon. In August twenty twenty four, I had a mommy makeover, a breastlift, tommy tuck, and liposuction. I feel amazing and thought I was looking pretty good too. Then I got to my car, opened the before and after photos and immediately felt discouraged, disappointed, and full of diet thoughts. Should I count macros, calories points, go low carb tri medication? My mind was swirling. Then this morning I got on the scale. It flashed one ninety four point four. I've read all your book recommendations. I've listened to every podcast. I feel like you're number one fan. I've wanted to come on your show and tell my story so badly, but I'm not ready. Over the years, my fasting and windows have changed. I'm not a creature of habit, more of a free spirit. I've done some adf I'm a stricter during the week and more flexible on weekends. I use the zero app and I have almost oney eight hundred fasts recorded. I also use the Happy Scale app, but I have not been weighing daily lately. I try so hard to be someone who doesn't care about the scale, but I do. I was once diagnosed with fatty liver and had elevated liver enzymes. That's now resolved. My A one C is now normal. My cholesterol is one fifty. My triglyst rides are seventy nine. My resting heart rate is fifty six. I'm very active. I'm easily able to walk five miles a day. I go to pilates at least once a week. I played tennis with my daughter. I've recently gotten into strength training at the gym, doing a rotation of push pull and legs. I drink socially, maybe once a month if that. I eat what sounds good to me. I love lean meats and vegetables. I still eat fast food, sweets, and soda, but only in my window and not every day. I've always done a clean fast because I never knew any other way. I've been fasting for over five years. I consistently wear a size medium in tops and an eight to ten in pants. I don't want to be super thin, I want to be strong and healthy, so here I am living my goal lifestyle. But I just can't get over that number on the scale. It feels way too high. My highest adult weight was two twenty eight and the lowest I've seen as an adult is one fifty one on diet pills is one ninety my set weight. The number feels wrong. I have to lose weight, but I don't know how to get it off. Sometimes I think maybe I've done decades of damage to my buy and it needs time to heal. But shouldn't five years be enough? Do I throw away the scale? I have the biggest fear of regaining at all. Is it that my body is still recovering from surgery? But it's been six months. Oh, I'm sorry, eight months. I just feel stuck like a hamster and a wheel. Gin and Sherry, I need your words of wisdom.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I can just say that I understand when you are in a body and it's not the body you desire. But also I know that we have to work with the body we have. We have to work with our genetics. And I am never going to be I'm never going to have Gin's body. Doesn't matter what I do, I'm never going to have Gin's body. I am a larger framed, tall woman. I have a lot of muscle mass on my body. It's just the way I'm built. And so part of part of this, I think is that you need to learn to love your body, the body that you're in. You know, if you're trying to achieve the a look that is not the way your body is designed, then it doesn't matter how little the skill reflects back to you. If you don't like your body, you're not gonna like your body. So I think part of this comes to, you know, really finding peace with the body that you're in.
Speaker 1: And you know, you may not.
Speaker 2: Prefer the build that you have, but it's what you have to work with.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: With that said, I did run your numbers through Happy Scale you know you ever or not? I'm sorry through smart me am. I yeah, you you are out of the green zone. So you do need to lose some weight. Are you strong and you know fit? Absolutely? And that goes a long way. You know, there's been talk through the years that you know, you can be overweight and as long as you are active and you have a lot of muscle mass and you have healthy metabolic profile that you know you can be healthy at a heavier weight. Can you lose weight. I'm sure you can. You're going to have to be able to make some changes. You said you know that you're stricter during the week and you're more flexible on weekends. You don't ever really say what your average eating window is, right, So that doesn't I mean I don't. I can only make a guesstimate and make some advice based off of.
Speaker 1: Not knowing that.
Speaker 2: What I know is we routinely hear that people who are stricter during the week and more flexible on the weekends often get into a plateau and they struggle until they treat every day the same way. I mean, now, if you were a person doing super super short windows during the week and then you were having wider window on you know, Saturdays or something, you might be able to make that work for you. It just depends on you how much you eat. Are you a volume eater? You know that sort of thing. So not knowing that it makes it a little hard to advise on what to do. If you consistently average a four to five hour window throughout the week and you're not seeing weight loss, then I think it's probably time to adapt and switch to ADF. But before doing that you did say that you still love to eat fast foods, sweets and soda and only in your window, which is great, and you said you don't do it every day, but it could be enough that that's holding you back. The fact that you've had fatty liver and you've had elevated liver enzymes really shows that you've had insulin resistance. So your alcy is normal. I'm curious what you're fasting insulin is right now. It may be great, it may not be a matter of you even being insolent resistant anymore. So you've healed your fatty liver and you've healed your fasting insulin levels. So now you've just got to get your body into fat burning. You need to make sure that you are eating foods that support your goals. And no matter who you are or I don't care, fast food, sweets and soda is not going to support or goals for weight loss. Can you have them now?
Speaker 1: And again?
Speaker 2: Sure, a couple times a week. Probably not. That's not going to support your weight loss goals. So I would really lean into you said you love lead meats and vegetables, really lean into a consistent eating window, choosing foods that support your goals with your history of fatty liver and stuff, sweet soda and fast food, those are like the big contributors to that. So not only are you trying to eat for the weight that you are trying to achieve, but you want to eat for health too, right, so you you know you have a predisposition it sounds like to fatty liver and that goes hand in hand with diabetes. So really start thinking about it from a health and longevity perspective rather than just your size and weight, and start trying to eat, you know, for those type of goals. And then if you've been consistent with your eating window and you don't really feel like there's a lot of room to adjust your foods, then yeah, I would settle into ADF. I would do it for you know, make a commitment that you're going to do it for six to eight weeks. Weigh every single day, whether you like the number on the scale or not. Weigh every single day, start recording your weekly average, take some measurements and give it a try for eight weeks and see what happens. Do you have anything else, Jen, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's several things that really stuck out to me. First of all, she was feeling so good in her body, and then all of a sudden didn't Like she's wearing a size medium top and an eight to ten pants. I mean those there was a time when I just dreamed of being back in a size eight, like when I got back down. Actually, when I got to a size ten after losing weight, that's when I went crazy and bought way too many clothes. I felt so good in a size ten, and then when I got to a size eight, it felt like miracle, right because like single digit, so like I was so excited. And so it sounds like you were feeling really good in your body. You had your mommy makeover, and you were feeling really good in your body, and then you didn't like the photos. And it seems to me like not liking the photos said, well, but now I need to look at on the scale. Then you saw the scale and now you're unhappy. Like if you could rewind and not not seeing those photos that made you feel bad and not seeing the number on the scale, would you be feeling differently right now? And I just want you to think about that as information and remember how great you were feeling in your body. Yeah, can I put in real quick too. Yeah, I know, she said.
Speaker 2: I think she said somewhere that she takes a daily probably, yeah, she takes a daily picture of herself in the morning, and I actually I think I would stop doing that. I am a huge fan of pictures and progress photos, but you're not gonna see a change from day to day to day. And if you're comparing day to day to day, you're not going to see the change. I would go more like, take a progress photo every eight to twelve weeks. Give your body time to change. You can see the difference. And if you're gonna do ADF for eight weeks, I would definitely take measurements in progress photos at the start of that and then when you get to eight weeks, repeat those because that's going to give you a lot of information more so than a daily photo.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I actually want to really highlight one a sentence in a question. She said, sometimes I think maybe I've done decades of damage to my body and it needs time to heal. But shouldn't five years be enough? So we have to think, you know, there's definitely healing that needs to go on in bodies, and so it sounds like you've healed a lot of things. You've already healed your fatty liver, your A one C is normal, your cholesterol is good. So it sounds to me like you've had a lot of physical healing. But if you're not losing weight, there could still be some metabolic damage. Can you know you say you did the hCG, you did the finner mean you did a lot of things. I get it. I did those things too over the years, and I think I had some metabolic damage. So if you are continuing to do what you're doing right now all the time and you're not losing weight, then you're not addressing what your body needs to lose weight. So when we say, well I just need more time to heal, but if you're not changing something, then the weight is probably not just going to start dropping off right at this length of time. So we can change food choices in our intermittent fasting approach. And it sounds like you've got the fitness and the muscle building under control. But if you do suspect that you have metabolic damage from past dieting, and you suspect that that is keeping you from losing weight, now that's where ADF comes in and as Sherry said, that could really be what your body needs. If you don't have the second edition of Delayed on Denial, go ahead and get it and read the ADF chapter to make sure that you're you're doing it with the most revised recommendations, because if all you have is the old Delayed on Tonight or even fast East repeat, the recommendations have changed. So the second edition of Delayed on Tonight has the updated recommendations for that, and really see see how you do with that. Give it a try. Weighing daily with weekly averaging. I also agree that that you know, justide out of side, out of mind. You didn't realize how how the scale was because you hadn't been weighing at all, and then you saw it and you're like, oh no, And so now you've got that data and so you can start from where you are and then just see what happens. And that's that's the importance of weight as data. And you know, getting yourself down to the green zone on the smart BMI, I think that would be a great goal. And again for feeling great in your body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I wanted to say also to you know, she said that she where did she talk about when she weighed.
Speaker 1: One fifty one when she was taking diet pills. Yeah, but when when did she weigh And she's said that she was at one ninety four. Sorry, this was long, and I was this morning, the morning that she wrote this morning that she wrote it.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so if you've not been weighing daily, you may have just weighed on a high day. I mean, my weight can fluctuates drastically in the course of a week, so you may have just weighed on a high day. Add to that that you just started weightlifting, you know, and that builds up inflammation in your body, and you know that adds contributes to weight. But something that I was thinking too while Jen was talking about all of your weight loss methods, like something like forty percent of weight loss with glp ones is muscle mass. Like I just read this again, I think yesterday. And so if you're a person who's done all these low carb diet or not low carb diets, low collary diets like with the bariatric surgeon.
Speaker 1: And then you have done ah can get her ring the glp.
Speaker 2: Ones and the fintrmine right, all of that, you're losing a lot of muscle mass. Which you know, luckily, we don't do that with fasting if we are fast and clean and we are fueling appropriately in our windows. So now you're trying to add muscle mass, right So, if you're adding muscle mass that you've lost over the years and you're losing fat, the scale may not be reflecting change. But as you add muscle mass, your body's gonna burn hotter and you're going to start burning up what you eat more efficiently. The more muscle mass you have, the more efficient your body is. So it could just be a matter of you know, things are kind of equalizing between you working out and you're still losing some fat. I mean, it's hard to say that you're not losing any fat right now.
Speaker 1: But if you also, if.
Speaker 2: You want to do this experiment right now, it might be a great time to do a dexa scan and really see, you know, what your body composition is and then you knowed it in six months, so that you can actually see what changes are happening in your body. There's also like the body pod where it can like do fat and muscle, you know, composition stuff. But something like that might be helpful so that you can see that even if the scale's not changing your muscle and fat content is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's important. I think the fact that you mentioned getting a Dexa scan, you know, those are the kinds of things that are going to be a lot more reliable than like a scale at home, you know, the one that you stand on. So getting getting a Dexa scan and really being able to see what's happening. I think that's a great idea. But try some of these things. Give it some time, let us know, give us back some input after maybe eight weeks, see how it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So we have a question from Judy. She is transplanted to Oklahoma and currently in California, or from California currently transplanted Oklahoma. Read that backwards. I get it, Judy, because I'm transplanted from Kansas to Alabama, and I'm always confused when people say where are you from?
Speaker 1: I freeze.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't know where I'm from or where I live. She said, Hello, Jenn and Sherry, my dear friend referred you to me nearly six weeks ago. Yes, I'm an if for for six glorious weeks. I say that because I believe this method will bring me freedom from dieting and the scale. I am sixty eight years old and for forty five of those I have been on the diet train. Not at obese, but at least ten to twenty pounds overweight if I didn't restrict my eating or exercise habitually. I am five seven and a half and one hundred and sixty pounds when I started IF on March seventh, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I never ate.
Speaker 2: Breakfast, and my last bite of food was usually at eight pm the night before, so I guess I could consider myself a dirty IF for lol. However, the coffee milkshake was my friend most of the morning and midday until lunch. I never thought I would embrace black coffee, but I have, and the fast has become the best part of the program. I also have been addicted to SCALE my entire life, and I am happy and surprised to say I have not weighed since beginning IF and the Clean Fast, which will be six weeks this Friday, April eighteenth. I have consumed your books jin delayed, don't deny. The twenty eight day fast start day by day, and I'm currently reading fast Feasts repeat. I am listening to your podcast. I have seen little bits of improvement, such as I've lost one and a half inches on my bust and hips one inch around my waist. My clothes don't seem to feel much different, but I'm believing I have everything I've read that says not to expect rapid weight loss, especially while I'm continuing to become fat adapted. My fasting protocol changes, but currently it's between a nineteen five or eighteen six while consuming a snack and meal during that time. Some days I have a four hour open window. My questions for you, One, should I be weighing every day while using the seven day average to get the true results? My worry is I will be disappointed even though I know not to expect much. And two, well, let's just take that genuine answer that question.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, And I was just calculating her smart BMI while we were talking, so and I just calculated it based on your starting weight. Okay, you're starting weight, Judy, one hundred and sixty pounds at five foot seven and a half inches at the age of sixty eight. When you began your smart BMI was exactly in the middle of the healthy range. Okay, So I think that's really really important. I know that you said you have had diet brain for years. On the diet train, you consider yourself ten to twenty pounds overweight. You actually are not overweight, and when you started intermittent fasting, you were not overweight at that time. So I think that's really important for context. So I actually think that not weighing could be a great strategy for you, because you want to see you know, your body changes over time as you lose fat, as you build or maintain muscle, but you don't have like ten to twenty pounds of fat that your body needs to lose. You said, you've already lost one and a half inches on your bust and hips in an inch around your waist, And I would just relax into the process and enjoy the lifestyle and let your body do what it's going to do. What do you think about that, Sherry, I kind of agree with that.
Speaker 2: You know, we all have a little bit of vanity wait that we would like to trim up.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've got that right here. I've got some little funny weird spots under my arms that.
Speaker 2: Yep, I mean, I was just looking at my gun in the video, I was like, I'd really like that to be gone. But yeah, if you're a person that's gonna let the scale dictate how you feel, and you're feeling really successful and you're loving what you're doing right now, and you know, cutting out that morning milkshake is doing wonders for your body, your your pancreas and your liver and you know, so I think that you know what you're doing is great. And if you're going to be disappointed no matter what the scale says, just don't weigh.
Speaker 1: Just know how your clothes feel. I think this might be another great time. You know, Judy, we were talking about the last person suggesting a Dexa scan. Maybe Judy should do that too. Get a dexa scan right now, see what you know, your muscle, how much muscle mass you have, your how much body fat you have, and then maybe don't weigh, just don't weigh at all, and then maybe in eight weeks get it done again. And in that time you continue to fast, clean, follow what you're doing, continue with you know, any kind of exercise that you do for muscle building. We want to maintain our muscle mass. You know, you're sixty eight. We want to. As we age, it does become more important to use our muscles, and then in eight weeks look and see you might actually be up on the scale but have less body fat, right, in which case you that would be really exciting to know. So I think that you since since you started right in the middle of the healthy weight range, you do not want to lose you know, quote weight. It might be nice to lose some fat as you build or maintain muscle, but the scale is not going to be your best tool for that. So it's all about what's going to happen. You know, if you went up a pound because you're weighing and you saw yourself up a pound, yeah, you might be really really disappointed. But if you had a dexa scan and you saw that you gained five pounds of muscle and lost you know, four pounds of fat, then you'd be like, oh, I'm up one pound because I've gained a pound of muscle and I've lost four pounds of fat, you know, or six pounds whatever. You know, the rights that I said, But you know, then you'll have the actual the body composition data to know what's really happening. Yeah, I agree, all right, do you want to get into the rest of where did you stop?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yes, number two.
Speaker 2: Her second question was I get full pretty quickly, and I may not want to eat my second part of my meal now. She said, she's only eating a snack and a meal, so I don't know what you mean what she means by second part of her meal? Should I worry about not consuming enough calories? My apologies for the Lenkly message, but I've heard you both say that the more the detail, the better you are able to address my concerns. So many thanks Jenn and Cherry. If the only positive things to come from this lifestyle were the freedom from calorie counting and scale shame, I will gladly continue on this journey. And I laughed at the last cements exactly what we said.
Speaker 1: Exactly And you know then that's more data on the side of getting rid of the scale because I promise you, Judy, you have zero reasons to have scale shame. You are a healthy waight right now. But the stories we tell ourselves in our heads, right you know what, depending on when you grow up, maybe what models were popular when you were in high school or what magazines you read, just you like got in your mind. You had to be a certain thing, and you just held yourself up against that standard for all these decades. So I would let that skill shame go as quickly as you can, because you're already at a very healthy wait. And again, knowing your body composition could help you understand that and really reinforce it. As far as like how you're structuring your window. You said you're having a snack and a meal, like Sherry said, but you might not eat the second part of your meal. If you're eating until you're satisfied and you feel good, that's a really good sign. If you are eating until satisfied and then two hours after you close your window you're starving, that's not a good sign. So you need to just keep working. You don't want to feel a lot of hunger later. You want to feel good and just go by how you're feeling.
Speaker 2: And I too, You know, when you're first in your first four to six weeks and your body's getting fat adapted and it's trying to figure out what it's doing or whatever. We hear a lot that people like hunger kind of goes away at first and then as they're I mean, because a lot of your hunger and everything is is driven on your circadian rhythm, and so your body's adapting to when are you going to eat and how much to eat and you're you know, satidy, and your hunger signals are still like trying to rebalance and figure everything out. And so you know, over time, a lot of people who during that transition period, they'll say they'll start to worry, like their appetite has gone away or whatever, but it usually ends up kind of coming back. Yes, you get that solid appetite correction where you get to a point where you're like, I can't eat another bite. But if over time you feel like, oh, I don't really feel like I'm getting enough nutrition in my window, then it might be that you just need a longer window. You might be a person who just can't eat a lot at one time and you need a lengthier window so that you can get in what you need. But that's could be based off of like how you feel and your energy and your sleep and you know, are you struggling during any part of your fast and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, so now it's time for our segment called what's your Why? Most of us have weight loss in mind, and that is a great reason to start intermittent fasting. But we know there is so much more that intermittent fasting can do for us beyond weight loss. Just you know, as we heard in that last one, if the only thing we get our freedom from Calori County in scale shame, that is a great reason to be an intermittent faster. I genuinely think when your why is deeper than weight loss alone, you're more likely to find long term success and view intermittent fasting as a lifestyle.
Speaker 2: All right, So this week we have a wife from Karina in Saskatoon. This could be a what's your why, a celebration, a tweak of the week, and a book recommendation all in one. So she says, first, my story. At first, I started IF after reading Eat to Live by doctor Joel Furman, and I noticed considerable life and body changes after practicing a weekly two five method. And I'm not sure what that is to you know, probably five five, okably means five? Yeah, he says, oh yeah. She says, I don't recall clean fasting at that time, but it wasn't hard. I did that to lose a little weight, but found that my family and friends were always discouraged from discouraging me from continuing by making comments that made me feel guilty or wrong for losing weight. I was never obese, but felt that I was carrying an extra ten pounds and I did lose that through if. After a while, the pressure got to me, so I quit. That was in twenty twelve. Fast forward to twenty twenty two. I was postment apausle and had gained just enough weight that I was uncomfortable with how I felt, and I didn't like the small spare tire around my waist that suddenly appeared. I signed up with a personal trainer and in six months had such back pain I had to quit that and I still felt and looked the same. I was assessed and found I needed back surgery. Before I had my surgery, I was fed up with feeling so crappy and uncomfortable that I started searching for health and wellness podcasts and found Fast Feast Repeat podcasts. I binge listened and I started ADF the first day I started listening. I did that for several months, and then I started OMAD with a twenty four approach. I was feeling less brain fog and exhaustion, but still no change on my spare tire. I was beginning to think that it was just something I was going to have to live with as a result of postmenopause. But then I started on a mostly whole food, plant based diet, and that is when the spare tire went flat. I could not believe that a small diet change as his eliminating animal products would make such a big body change. This along with if as a keeper, I think that is my tweak, but it could also be my celebration my why, my mother, my father, my husband, and my sister. Everywhere I look I see family members struggling with health issues. My father had a mild heart attack and had stints put in. My mother has full blown rheumatoid arthritis, which has made it difficult for her to do almost everything. She's so sick. She just recently had a stroke and did not know it until she.
Speaker 1: Couldn't speak or walk.
Speaker 2: My stepfather was experiencing chest pains and had to have a double bypass. My husband has pulmonary fibrosis and cannot breathe well enough to do most of the things he enjoys anymore. My sister has recently been diagnosed with fattied liver disease, and she is younger than me. The good thing is I purchased the twenty eight Day fastart book and I gave it to her and she is now also a dedicated intermittent faster another celebration. So far, are the only health issues I have are hypothyroidism, which is being controlled with a small dose of medication, and this back issue that since the surgery seems to be resolved, and that is the way I want to keep it. Our countertop is full of the drugs my husband has to take daily to survive. I have one small pill bottle for my thyroid. My health span and my life span are important to me. I have two children who are just starting into their adult lives, and I want to be healthy enough into the future that they do not have to worry about my health or look after me, and that I can run and play with the grandchildren yet to come. Fingers crossed. Lastly, I've read every book you have mentioned on this podcast, and I listened to the Zoe podcast regularly. Most recently, I'm reading Eat for Life by doctor Joel Furman. No, not a typo, it is a different book. With a different title wording than the book mentioned at the beginning, and it is reaffirming my plant based diet choice so that I can live the healthiest future I can. I only wish that more people could understand this way of life and keep their health in check. That is why it is so wonderful that the two of you are sharing your knowledge and encouraging people to give it a try, tweak it till it's easy, share their successes and discover their why. Keep up the good work, and I love that me too.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Before we get to the tweak of the week, I just want to take a minute to share some feedback I've received from my Crunchy customers about their clean skincare experience, so you can hear their opinion and not just mine. Trisha wrote, I took advantage of the clean sunscreen special that you talked about in March. My family and I had a trip planned over the Easter break and I was looking for a clean, reef safe alternative. I stuck up on the body and the tinted face sunscreen. My family and I escaped Hawaii without so much as one sunburn, and I appreciate that the sunscreen was easy to apply and effective. I love the sunlight tinted SPF for faces so much that I've i'd myself wearing it most days now is it gives me a nice, finished glow, evening out my skin tone without applying makeup. I wash and tone my face and then apply this tinted sunlight a little masskara and go about my day. If I don't plan going outside, but I want a finished look to my face without makeup. I have found that the primer works great for that. I don't get oily and my skin looks so much better. I'm a minimalist when it comes to makeup, so I am loving these products. So if you are ready to switch over to clean skincare or makeup routine, check out Crunchy and I'm happy to help you make the switch. Visit the link in show notes or visit Fastpeasrepeat dot com, slash Sherry to shop, and as always, you can email me at Sherry at Fastfeasrepeat dot com.
Speaker 1: So now it's time for our tweak of the week. This one's from Tanya. Once in a while I enjoy going out to eat with a friend or my spouse. I have learned to start looking up the kinds of foods I might want to eat wherever we're going, and I figure out which ones have the best chance of not interrupting the healthy diet I've gotten into the habit of eating. For example, I've found out that I can have a strawberry milkshake at Steak and Shake because they don't use anything in the shake except for ice cream, strawberries, and sugar. There are some foods I absolutely cannot eat, for example, gluten and tomatoes. Those two things make me very sick. It's really hard sometimes to get enough variety in my diet to keep things fun. This tweek allows me to go and enjoy eating a little something different, but at the same time staying with the diet that is very healthy for my body. And I love that.
Speaker 2: I often look up me men news and ingredients at restaurants before I go so that I can make the best choices for me.
Speaker 1: It decide if it's worth even going right it is not too Yeah, If they don't have even that looks like what I want to eat, I'm like, no, we gotta find something different.
Speaker 2: Well. We love to leave you guys with inspiration our motivational quotes, and this week We have a quote from Shannon. The quote is you are not a machine. You are more like a garden. You need different things on different days. A little sun today, a little less water tomorrow. You have follow and fruitful seasons. It is not a design flaw. It is wiser than perpetual sameness. The question is what does your garden need today? Oh?
Speaker 1: I love that. Thanks so much for listening today. We would love to have you join us in the Delayed on Tonight community, where you can interact with both me and Sherry plus the most supportive bunch of intermittent fasters you'll find anywhere. Go to Jenstevens dot com slash community to join us.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to subscribe to this podcast to your favorite podcast app, and if you haven't already, please leave us a five star review that helps new listeners find the show and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We are a community driven podcast, so to submit your success stories, your questions, your favorite tweak it till It's Easy moments, or anything else you want us to share on the podcast, go to Fast Feast Repeat dot com, cam slash submit and then listen each week to see if we share your submission or answer your question.
Speaker 2: Until next week. Thanks for listening,