Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to dot NetRocks with no ads? Easy?
Speaker 2: Become a patron for just five dollars a month. You get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. Twenty dollars a month. We'll get you that and a special dot NetRocks patron mug. Sign up now at Patreon dot dot NetRocks dot com. Welcome back, welcome back, Happy holidays to you, Happy New Year, and it's time for another amazing geek out first of the year, with yours truly and Richard Campbell. Mister Campbell, Hello, been working on this script for days and I am happy to be done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, let's create a record of it, shall we? Yeah, why don't we.
Speaker 2: The Energy geek Out of twenty twenty four. But before we get started, I'm not going to do a better NO framework. But I am going to roll the music, So do that.
Speaker 1: All right too.
Speaker 2: Let's not a better NO framework, all right, And we're going to talk about the historical events for the year nineteen thirty one. Because one this is episode nineteen hundred and thirty one. So on January sixth Thomas Edison submitted his last patent application.
Speaker 1: I wonder how old he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. What do you think of Thomas Edison? Was he really like a kind of a thief and a jerk? You know, he also created a lot of stuff. Yeah, so you get into a situation there, right, like, yes, all of those things are true. Yeah, the whole battle between him and Tesla. Yeah, yeah, where he'd solved so much in DC power, he'd figured out metering and billing systems and all this stuff, except for that part where you couldn' actually distributed very well, that was a minor detaility. So I mean he literally orchestrated killing an elephant with AC power to meet people a frame. Remember, Like, that's not a nice guy, No, that's not no. And I also hear he stole a lot of patents and was kind of a jerk.
Speaker 1: So but well, and that's sort of a running in the act, Like who knows if he did or not? Oh maybe to eighty four. So he died in nineteen thirty one, all right.
Speaker 2: Continuing on February thirteenth, nineteen thirty one, New Delhi becomes the capital of India. February twentieth, the Congress of the United States approved the construction of the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge by the state of California. On March third, the United States adopts the Star Spangled Banner as its national anthem. And you thought it was all about the Revolutionary War, there you go. March nineteenth, gambling is legalized in Nevada, because why not?
Speaker 1: What else am I to do?
Speaker 2: Sit around and glow with the aliens. March twenty fifth, the Scottsboro Boys are arrested in Alabama in charge with rape. In March twenty sixth. On March twenty six Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union is founded in Vietnam. March thirty first, an earthquake destroyed Managua, Nicaragua, killing two thousand people. Also on that same day, twa flight five ninety nine crashes near Bazaar, Kansas, killing eight, including University of Notre Dame head football coach Knute Rockney. There's a name for you. Canute. Wasn't Canute like one of the leaders of Sweden one of the Kings?
Speaker 1: Probably Norway? Yeah.
Speaker 2: April fourteenth, first edition of the Highway Code is published in Great Britain. May first, the Empire State Building is dedicated in New York City. May twenty ninth, Michelle's Scuru, a citizen of the United States, is executed by an Italian military firing squad for intent to kill Benito Mussolini. June twenty third, Wiley Post and Harold Gaddy take off from Roosevelt Field, Long Island in an attempt to circumnavigate the world in a single engine plane. And the reason why you haven't heard their names more pronounced than history is because they make it that happens. You know the keyword there is attempt attempt. July sixteenth, the Emperor of Ethiopia called Emperor Hile Silassie signs the nineteen thirty one Constitution of Ethiopia called First Constitution of Ethiopia. July thirty first, New York City experimental television station w two XAB now known as WCBSTV, begins broadcasts. August twenty fourth, France and the Soviet Union side a Neutrality no Attack treaty. August twenty eighth, France and the Soviet Union sign a treaty of non aggression. September eighteenth, the mukten incident gives Japan the pretext to invade and occupy Manchuria. October first, The George Washington Bridge, linking New Jersey in New York opens October seventeenth. Al Capone's convictive income tax evasion. October twenty fourth, George Washington Bridge opens to public traffic. November seventh, Chinese Soviet Republic is proclaimed on the anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution. December ninth, the Constituent Cortes approves a Spanish Constitution of nineteen thirty one, which establishes the Second Spanish Republic. And finally, and I mean that, December eleventh, the Statue of Westminster Parliament of the United Kingdom British Parliament establishes legislative a quality between the UK and the dominions of the Commonwealth of the Nation's Commonwealth, Australia, Canada, Dominion of newfound Newfoundland. I think that's what that means.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's all I got. You have anything to add? Yeah? Sure, how about in nineteen thirty one, the very first commercial electric guitar went on sale or Rick and Baker A twenty two. Wow. You know we're in between Paul barth At African Baker and JOJ Bokche You know, there you go. That's another.
Speaker 2: Another example of things that we thought we being United States citizens, we thought we invented. You know, Les Paul invented the electric guitar blah blah blah. He just kind of perfected it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is the A twenty two was a lap steel guitar, right like the Yeah, a different, different style before you get into that, you know, semi hollow body designs, those kinds of things like this is their early days nineteen thirty one. Yeah, very cool. As the first ballpoint pen, no kidding. Yeah, it wasn't Bick, was it. Nope? No, it was in the Auto Buddhapest See there you go. Yeah, all this time we thought Bick invented a ballpoint pen. I think they may have scaled it substantially into everybody can have a ballpoint pen. They were not rare.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Bick is right down the street from me. There you go, about an hour away. Okay, all right, shall we get started.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I got a comment from last year's Energy geek out, Okay, just around this time of year earlier. This comment comes from Pascal, who says, great show. I really enjoy the geek outs. I work for a virtual power plant company. In Canada, and i'd really like can know what Richard thinks about them. Do you think they're helpful to reduce the usage of peeker plants and do you think they're useful in general in the future. Thanks for all the years of great content. I have a question, yes, sir, what is a virtual power plant? It's where you get virtual power, man, I guess so it's kind of like so here's the issue. The power industry is used to having a handful of very large power plants that they keep in synchronization and gear up and down to supply power is needed, and of course they're struggling in the modern day with more and more power demands and more and more variability, and so the business of virtual power plants grew up around being able to provide power to the utility based on resources that are small. So this is mostly a software problem, right. This is the ability to do things like run backup generator plants or little run of the river hydro electric like all these little power generations, small scale wind, that kind of thing that isn't necessarily directly controlled by the big utilities and may distribute power in a bunch of different ways, and has this ability to provide this sort of flexible load.
Speaker 2: So it's kind kind of like a proxy or a collection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, it's an entity. You know, this is software, mostly software to be able to in okay, turn those things on, connect them to the grid, let the utility know here they are. It's even more interesting when you talk about things like maybe vehicle to grid. You got an electric car, we make you a deal where you leave it plugged in, we charge your lower rate, but once in a while we're going to take power from the car because the grid's in trouble. I've even seen versions of this with just being able to turn down thermostats for heat or turn them up for cooling, because if you're able to do that on mass you can actually make a dent in power consumption. So, like I said, it's mostly a software problem. It's these distributed energy resources and being able to coordinate them. Now some energy companies are getting more savvy to this and being able to do it. So, you know, to Pascal's question like what do you think they're going to look like in the future, it says, I think this is an interim stage where the power companies are sort of catching up with essentially Internet technology distributed peer to peer mindsets and what their consumers are actually using them, what they're able to produce. So in theory this should all consolidate someday. But you know, the VPP appeared because it served serves a problem that exists today. Okay, So, Pascal, thank you so much your commentating. A copy of music code by It is on its way to you, and iview'd like a copy of music code by. I write a comment on the website at don at Rocks dot com or on the Facebook. We publish every show there, and if you comment there and every reading on the show, we'll send you a copy of music Code.
Speaker 2: And you can also get yourself a copy of music to code By by getting us on the social media as we've been on ex Twitter forever at Carl Franklin at Rich Campbell, and we're on blue Sky at those same handles, and also Masidon. I'm at Carl Franklin at tech dot Social.
Speaker 1: And am Rich Campbell at masson social. There you go. So where did we start this long journey? Oh my goodness, friend, let me tell you. I A few things have happened this past year that were interesting for me. You know, I've been doing versions of this geek out at conferences in an hour, and I tend to tune it to the local country that I'm in, sure, right, So I've talked about Portugal, and I've talked about the UK and talked about Norway and New South Wales and so on, which is really fun, you know. I get to read government documents about power generation all the different places, like I have a weird version of fun. But I also ended up writing this year or in by the first time I did it was in August, was strictly an hour on nuclear power alone, just because it was it was only getting a few minutes in the general energy conversation, right, and folks wanted to know more. And my timing was right because suddenly all the tech giants jumped on to being interested in nuclear power too. Oh sure for cloud based AI stuff. Yeah, they want to build more data centers in the grid can support and so they're looking for more power availability, and so my knowledge jumped and digging into that. But I work, you know, a lot of the work that I do on these end of year geek outs ends up showing throughout the year and other content, and so this is My deepest dive is really reading up on all the latest and going over the IA's documentation and a number of other sources and onclude the links to where my readings for all of this. And there's a few things that are really important, and one of the most that impacts energy across the board is that the cost of money went up in the past year or so. The side effect of inflation was raising of interest rates to counter that, and so suddenly lending policies have shifted.
Speaker 2: You're not talking about just the United States because that was my experience here, but it's worldwide.
Speaker 1: Did interest rates go up worldwide everywhere? Yes? Absolutely? And would you say.
Speaker 2: America was the cause of that or were they just a victim of globalization.
Speaker 1: It is normal economic policy, at least in the West, to counter inflating prices with an increase in interest rate and slow that down, which appears to have worked. Inflation rates have dropped. Admittedly prices haven't dropped and won't like that's not generally a thing. In fact, it's dangerous to try and reduce prices. That creates a thing called stagflation, which this is not the economic s geek outside you know, yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Stagflation is what happens when people have money but don't spend.
Speaker 1: It right, Because if you think prices are going to go down, why wouldn't you wait right? Right? And that's just it's too dangerous to do that, right, So it makes more sense to have incomes rise to meet the current cost of them. Okay, again, this isn't it not an economic This is an energy show. Yes, but it had a big impact on energy because energy projects use a lot of money. They do a lot of borrowing based on future returns. You spend a lot to build out infrastructure to generate electricity, and then you make it back over time. And these are expensive projects that can easily go into cost overruns, and so the cost of borrowing is a sensitive thing, which is interesting. The interesting part of this is also that you have the bank behavior. There's one of those things where it's like, if you owe the bank one thousand dollars, you have a problem, but if you own the bank a million dollars, the bank has a problem. Yeah. So, where when cost of lending was low and you could had rapid turnover, building small power projects made a lot of sense. It was cheap to borrow of the money, the returns were quick, you could pay it down off you go right, and big projects struggled more. But now with the cost of lending being higher, big projects in some ways are protected because once you've borrowed a billion dollars for a project, you're kind of not willing to walk away from it. The bank's days in there's more money lens. In some ways, big projects are because they have these huge budgets are harder to cancel.
Speaker 2: You know, we we can't talk about the economics of energy without talking about what's expected to happen with the next American presidency in America anyway, we anticipate that the cost of goods, you know, at your local best buy, you know, Chinese made goods for example, is going to go up. And so what do we do today? Just today, Kelly and I placed in order for a brand new stacked washer and dryer because we needed a new one and we aren't going to wait. So the kind of the time is now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting question of is that things are things going to get cost more, costs less? It's hard to know, and so yeah.
Speaker 2: It's true, and it really is only going to be a problem if the tariffs go into effect because he's kind of using them as a threat right now.
Speaker 1: It seems like bullying to me, certainly from the Canadian side of things. But the issue here is project A lot of projects have shuffled, and it's not that unusual for power projects to have problems because they're expensive and they're large and so. And the one of the things I think that now that money has started to cost more, we're seeing that the small that new generation technologies like solar and wind, which are very granular you don't have to build the whole thing all at once. You can build just a portion of it, start generating money, and then add more to it over time, really benefited from low cost money, and the bigger projects didn't near as much. You know, you kind of have to build a whole nuclear power plant before it makes any power at all, and it's very difficult to build those. And the other part of this, it's become really interesting. And why these bigger plants are becoming more interesting when money costs more is that bigger plants tend to be more efficient. Sure, so this idea in power generation called capacity factor, which essentially is like you're at one hundred percent capacity factor if you're running full power all over the time, right, and traditional power plants still need maintenance, So they talk about like what's the relative you know, utilization of it. A coal power plant back in the day when fifty to sixty percent of capacity factor that was considered good. The funny thing is has to become less popular and antiquated, their efficiency goes down and so their utilization is getting lower. That top of the line combined cycle natural gas plant sort of you're sort of go to plant if you want to make electricity quickly today is just under sixty percent efficient. Even a hydro electric dam. You're sort of the largest class of non carbon producing electricity thirty to fifty percent efficient. And this the want to I'm going to go back to this capacity factor issue as we talk about different methods, like I'm not going to talk a lot about hydro and coal and things. I'm going to talk about more of the newer stuff because these capacity factors come into play. So, I mean, let's start with solar, because solar had an unbelievably good year in twenty twenty four. It is staggering how much dolar soolar are installed, Almost six hundred gigawatts of new solar this this past year. I was I was one of them. Yeah you're not alone, right, which was like a twenty percent increase. Again, it was four hundred and sixty and twenty three. It was two hundred and fifty and twenty two. More than half of what installed in twenty four was just in China. China was like an inexcessive half. And then the next four that represent about a third. Again where the US, India, Germany and Brazil and the IA talks about there's more than seven million people working in photovoltaics now, so that's between the manufacturing, distribution, all the production elements, and then the installations. This is both commercial as well as residential. It's a huge, huge business and it attracts a lot of talent. Australia has the highest amount of photovoltaic per capita. A. It's a low populated country. B, it has huge power demands and limited options, and it has a lot of sunlight, so they have one of the highest levels of residential solar anyway, you know, the number two is would be unexpended by kapita the Netherlands. Oh and again these like dense country windmills, right, and not a lot of area to cover and so forth. It was easy to put some solaring very quickly, and they did. But the capacity factors on solar are not that great. You know. You know that a given panel can generate a certain number of watts, but it doesn't all of the time. You know, depending on where you live, you're going to only get a ten to twenty five percent capacity factors. Yes, why we tend to overbuild solar just when we have it, we have lots of it. It's what makes variability. I think I told you Richard last year.
Speaker 2: We had just put our solar panels on when we did the energy geek out, and we went with a company that had a very interesting deal. So the government will give you subsidies if you want to buy solar panels and install them. You get some tax breaks and all that kind of stuff. We went with a company that says, no, we're going to take those benefits and we're going to lease the panels to you at a flat rate, which is going to come in under your average electricity bill, way under it, right, and you basically you're the whole goal is that your bills will go down to practically nothing. But you will have this fixed you know, monthly fee for twenty five years, and.
Speaker 1: It basically replaces your power bill.
Speaker 2: It replaces the power bill. And the thing I like about I don't know what happens in Canada, but down here, our power company can just make up whatever fees they want. You know, when you look at the bill. They raised the rates, they doubled the rates last year, last January, and they also add other fees as they want, and so you could end up with you know, one thousand, two thousand dollars monthly power bills and there's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Generally, with regulated sources, they have to apply to the regulator to add fees where the regulator to proves them there they are. And you said there's not machine doo. So this was a good deal for us. Yeah, and it seems to be a fairly common model. Again, it's just playing games with how you lend money. Right. There's an upfront cost then dispersed over time based on the yield. And it shows the confidence in this system now that lenders are willing to put money into that system knowing they're going to get a return over decades. Literally decade, and the solar panel business actually got really interesting this year because we're starting to finally have some breakthroughs in improving panel efficiency. So we've been living on monocrystaline panels are the most popular kind by far. They're they're relatively expensive. There are thin film and pol crystalines that are cheaper, but they're slightly more efficient. The best thin films coming at about twenty percent efficiency and the monocrystals are as high as twenty two. And then you get into some weird options, right, there's some focus and so forth, but they all have questionable yields. But we've been talking about Proov's guide solar panels for years and years and year robs and the problem with perovskites, this is a particular kind of crystal growth is they are efficient, like they absorb more of the energy from the sunlight, but they don't last. They're fragile. The only way you make a deal for twenty five years in your solar panels is if you have a fairly good expectation at twenty five years and now those panels will still work. That being said, Oxford PV has built a hybrid cell that is now actually for sale they're starting to install them into commercial solar sites that are running about twenty seven percent efficient, which that's not a good way to describe how much better these are. The better way you say, is twenty percent more efficient than monocrystaline panels. They say they've perfected a manufacturing technique to protect them from wear and decay, so they don't wear any faster than the monocrystaline, which all of these things do wear. They lose about one or two percent per year. They think we'll only know twenty five years from now for sure if these proscuts are really going to last that long. But they they're pretty confident enough that they're actually putting it on the market, and they say they can improve efficiency further, they can get over thirty percent and what did what did you say?
Speaker 2: How that did they improve their durability or something?
Speaker 1: That's they they're confident that they've got they've solved the durability problem. Okay, they've come up with new ways to seal the material to stop it from decaying, so it should last enough that they have made it into commercial products. So and they're selling it not in residential sites so far, just to commercial Okay, Well, there's the red well. I mean, commercial states tend to be on the ground standard layout, like very conventional and good to selling into the grid as opposed to residential, which is get figured more for just replying power to your house right right. Solar panel recycling has continued to expand. Last year I talked about a company called solar Cycle in Texas who was able to take existing solar and use solar panels, take the metals off of them, cut the glass away, grind down the substrates so forth, pretty much be able to reuse the whole thing. They've opened additional facilities. Now they've got another facility in Georgia. They're also signing agreements with solar power companies both to take used panels and recycle them and to sell out materials those recycled materials back to the solar panel companies to make new panels with it. So we're heading towards this idea of a circular economy with solar panels. It's not a bad thing where a certain percentage of the material in a solar panel came from a previous generation solar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are there any minerals or rare earth things that need to be mined to go into your typical solar.
Speaker 1: Panel, not very much. It's mostly silicon, which is the main substrate that they use, the monocrystal. It's mostly how you make the crystal that matters it. It really sets the quality of a certain amount of titanium, certain amount of aluminium. The glass is important, and it's got certain doping elements into it. But it's not like an electronics device that has a lot of the rare earths in it. Even the inverters are pretty straightforward electronics, so they don't need a lot of exotics here. We're not trying to make screens or CPUs or anything like that. Cool. I did put out the word when I was working on the street, which a minutedly. I put out the word a couple of weeks ago that I was working on the script and got some questions, and one of them came from Michael Zelenski, who asked, what are the options for excess residential solar power? Excess? You mean, what do you do with what you don't use? H yeah, okay, yeah, So you're generating more power than your house needs. The typical mechanism is the grid tie or the buy back, so you have a deal with your utility that when you produce to at a certain level, you're going to get a certain amount back as a credit for that power and depending on the setup it but we already know that that power is of questionable utility because it's already stepped down to residential level. It doesn't necessarily flow the other way. This isn't water and so the the utilities don't really want to do this, which is why they never set these deals up. It's always governments mandating it. Right. Sure, you know the utility, that's the thing they want, right, which is reduced to love.
Speaker 2: You don't get the energy, They just they sort of pay you for not taking it from them. That's right, You basically got it, so they can sell it to someone else.
Speaker 1: But it's happening enough now that it's actually putting stress on the grid because it does. You know, that power does get as far as a transformer, it can create loads of the transformer. In places like Sydney, Australia, where residential solar is so common, they've actually had to put in mechanisms to disconnect you from the grid wow, to try it to stop from destabilizing the grid. Again. It does because it doesn't flow evenly back upwards with what it's doing is overheating transformers. Yeah, sure, And so there's a big discussion about is there a better way to use your excess residential solar power? Now at the simplest level, if you've at least got some kind of monitoring going on and your house says, hey, you know we're making more power than we need, you can shift the load. Now is the time to wash the dishes or fire up the washing machine? Sure, run the dry like, just burn you more power if you.
Speaker 2: Know how to do that, right, if you have appliances that are smart enough to do that, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or you're present to do so. Yeah. Electric vehicle is a good one for this, Like, it's not that these days we have smart chargers that can actually say, hey, the power's free right now, it's coming from solar. Let's charge the car again. This is like, are you home during the day when you be able to do right? No, you get in. There are more expensive options, like there are smart hot water tanks and heating systems HVAC systems that we'll say, oh it's solar now, let's cool the house more or warm the house more, or yeah.
Speaker 2: Or store the energy as heat as hot water, right, it's hot water.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then finally the most expensive option, which is batteries. Yeah, right, your power walls, although there's a bunch of better battery systems. And I'll talk about energy storage as we get further down the path, and that gets into you doing even more power shifting, that you can store enough power from your free solar at your excess solar so that in the evening you don't have to consume any power from the grid.
Speaker 2: So we have a propane generator and like a five hundred gallon propane tank. And the salesman when they were talking to us about the solar panels, said, now you know, we also do sell a battery system. I think it was the Tesla wall probably, he says, But to tell you the truth, you have a generator, and you know you're you're going to get two weeks of power off a full tank twenty four to seven, right, whereas you're only going to get maybe a day or a day and a half out of the battery.
Speaker 1: And it's very expensive, as you said, and I mean addutedly pro paying costs money. Sure, So if you were charging that battery off of excess solar effectively free and then discharging it each night. You know you're saving a certain amount of electricity. The question is is does the earnout work. Those batteries are expensive, Like it could be longer than the battery lifespan before you actually pay for the battery for those few hours a day that you would use. Right, there's a difference between it being a power shifting tool where it's like my evening power consumption comes from my battery versus a backup tool where the mains are out and I need electricity. Right. Power shifting is really what those power walls were for, is to get you off the grid when the solar when it's nighttime and you're you know, cooking food and doing all the things in your house or a high consumption. I also have in our house a pellet stove which we put in in the basement. There was one here when the house was originally built, but the owners when they left, took it with them, So we got a pellet stove and in the wintertime it's always on. It's either on low at night or when it's warm, or you know, when it's really cold. They crack it up and we leave the door to the basement open and we get radiant fl heating because it heats the floor right and also comes through the through the door, So that's it's really nice. It's just good to have options. Yeah, that's the way I look. We burn wood for heat here by the ocean, not that we also have electric heat, but one of the reasons to do that is aar wood comes from our property, so that's effectively free. But the other one I've noticed is the heat from that cast iron stove is very dry and in especially in the wintertime here, it's damp, and as soon as you light the fire up, the house dries out, like you feel better. Yeah, it makes a huge difference, especially in the winter, to have that heat, and there's something special about a fire. I love fire. I read on Reddit when I was looking on other options for excess as solo there is a guy who's set up home assistant to crank up the temperature in his hot tub during the day when there's excess solar too hot to get in, but he's just I'm not going to get in until night. But normally I have to run the thing for an hour to make it warm enough to sit in, So if there's excess solar, I just overheat my hot tub and then by night time when we want to get in it, it's nice and warm. And it was for free.
Speaker 2: So we have a whirlpool tub. I'm talking all about my house here. Yeah, we have a whirlpool tub and it's it's it's big. You've seen it, and it's big, so big in fact, and it's indoors that the water heater doesn't have enough hot water in it to fill it with hot water. Right, how about that that's problem, isn't that? I mean, so we don't use it because what's the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's not hot, it's not fun. Yeah, it's not okay. I think it's also going to say about solar this year other than again, it's the banner year in terms of the non carmonymitting energy source, more solar than anything else, mostly because of Chila. Yeah. So moving on to wind power. So we expected to put in about one hundred gigawatts of wind in twenty three. We actually got one hundred and twenty and we're looking at about one hundred and thirty for twenty four. So the growth is consistent, it's going up slightly. Wind is a bit more efficient, and solar you get about twenty five to forty percent capacity factor, so still well behind traditional power plants, but you know, we're getting better doing more offshore wind. Yeah, the onshore seems to be kind of built out in a lot of ways. I feel like the wind industry is matured now. We're not seeing bigger wind turbines. They got bigger and bigger every year for quite a while, and they've seem to have topped out of somewhere around the fifteen megawatt range. It's a couple of fourteens and a couple of sixteens. But they're getting to a point now where they're so large that the weight of the equipment is a problem and they're not lasting. We're starting to see gearbox issues where a gearbox system that was supposed to last for twenty years broke down in seven and needed major repairs. So these really big wind turbines are problematic. Yeah. I've talked about this before too.
Speaker 2: And if you come to my town, New London, Connecticut, you look out on the state here, there's just fuselage after fuselage, just these big white tubes because they assemble windmills here and they're they're doing an offshore project in Long Island Sound, and yeah.
Speaker 1: It makes and these those projects are primarily what we call near shore or fixed bottom systems, where they literally the works up to about fifty meters or water about one hundred and fifty feet. They put a casement into the water, down into the bottom. Then they pump the water out of the casement. Then they drill a big hole, fill it with concrete, and then put the post down.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's kind of ironic that a hurricane could come through and really crank up those windmills.
Speaker 1: They'd be generating a lot of power.
Speaker 2: However, the hurricane could also knock the power lines down going to your house.
Speaker 1: And windmills run in a particular range of winds, so they actually shut them all off for extreme wind events like that. Yeah, they'll destroy themselves. I didn't know that they can't move that. Not far from you, there was a big wind project in New Jersey's waters and ended up being canceled this year, all.
Speaker 2: Them New Jersey. I just don't want to see them ugly windmills out there. Maybe this was more about financing. It was taking longer to build. Costs went up substantially. It was actually being built by a company called Orstev, which is a Danish company, like the Danes, being one of the most experienced groups for wind power anywhere in the world. One of the issues they ran into, and this is this one surprised me. I'd heard about it, but I didn't realize it would impact wind But the thing called.
Speaker 1: The Jones Law, I don't know about it. So the Jones Law almost goes back to the Revolution, and it was really about a ship that's servicing ports in the US. Going from one US port to another has to be registered in the US. Okay, that's the law, Okay. And so the fact that they needed a ship that went back and forth for maintenance from New Jersey out to the windmills and back again meant it had to be licensed in the US, which is very expensive. In fact, it is so expensive that the situations like shipping a liquefied natural gas from Louisiana up to New England, the US doesn't do it. It is cheaper for them to sell the gas from Louisiana to another country and then buy natural gas from another country to bring to New England. Okay, that's really strange. Because of the costs of licensing and operating ships in license in the US. Wow, so it's like a two hundred year old law. It probably needs some updating. I would think, Yeah, weird little impediments. I've a little highlights on wind before we get into the nitty gritty details. This year, for a few hours, Ireland, a very windy place, operated entirely on wind power. What the whole country, the whole country for a while for a few hours during a particularly windy time that all of the electrical generation was win. That's impressive. Yeah, it just shows how much when they've got the UK Land, they've gone big on wind. They've got lots of shallow water that they can put these wind turbines up on, and they build them big. The big business now for wind turbines. A lot of that easy area, those fifty meters or less waters largely are allocated and being built out. So wind growth is going to slow until we can really mature floating wind turbines. Right. They have their own problems in British Columbia. Here, our water's all too deep. I get past fifty meters inside of my house. The water is very deep here, and so you need to have floating wind turbines, and generally these rigs are good up to but at least three hundred and fifty meters of water and theory more. This is all oil rig technology, but it is more expensive, is more complicated to install, and it tends to be further away from land, and you kind of need electricity on land, and so the wiring going back gets costly.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking about a floating wind turbine and the challenges that it would take. You would have to have some sort of ballast, their keel, something holding it down, otherwise it'll flop around in the wind and become really unefficient. Well, one of the benefits of a turbine is that it's rigid, Yeah, so when the wind blows across it, it doesn't fall over.
Speaker 1: So there's a bunch of different platform approaches, right. There's the barge approach, which is the simplest. Just imagine a barge that you anchor it to. It's easy to toe to get into place. It gives you working area when you want to work on it. But it has the most motion, right, and we talk about six degrees of freedom when you're in the water. Heave yaw sway, surge, pitch and roll. So heave is going up and down, yaw is rotating side to side, sway is sliding back and forth. Surge is moving front to back, so the wind blows and it pushes it back. And then pitch and roll are both rotations and two different axises. So the anchoring process is important. And this is also a solved problem when you think about oil rigs. Right, So the bar just kind of the most primitive way to go. If you get into the oilry designs, you start talking about different spar and semi submersible designs. So one of the ones that's being tested thoroughly is is called a semi submersible spar so. This is three to five spars that can be filled with water. They actually are ballasting. One of those spars has the wind turbine on it, and then the others are ballasted to stabilize it. And then you have cables running onto the bottom, either in catenary or tension, that keep it essentially stay. And what's a spar so? Just imagine a cylinder, okay, right that, So take a bunch of cylinders, connect them with pipes, three to five of them, and so one of them has the wind turbines, so I has the most load on it, and the other ones at least two maybe more use water ballast to offset that mass and keep it alive. So there's a vertical yeah, verticaltical cylinder. Okay, there's single spar approaches where you literally you just put a floatation spar with the mast on it. They have more tipping problems, but they're very easy to build. And then the most complex one, the one that again comes to the oilery industry, is the one called tension leg where you're actually putting anchors into the bottom under tension to hold the mouths in place, so they're quite rigid. The problem is that it's not good with tides because it's kind of set to its depth, so you think kind of a minimal range of tide. They'll limit cinemarias you can put it in and they don't fail well. If one of those tension lines gives out for whatever reason, you're going to tip over. So part of this is start of figuring out what is the movement causes problems with generation. Right serge, especially when you lean into the wind, might actually speed up the turbine, but there there's dozens of test projects out there. They're not past the test phase, but they're real turbines generating real power, and they're learning how these things work. They're still relatively expensive comparative, about four times the price of near shore or fixed bottom. Okay, but the price. You know, the only reason that nearshore is as cheap as it is today is because we've built so much of it and we know exactly what we're doing. While we're in the experimental phase, is going to stay expensive, but as it matures, it should cut the price substantially. No.
Speaker 2: Last year, getting back to solar here for a minute, last year we talked about floating solar panel rafts out on reservoirs in places where has have there been any new projects in that regard because I have seen nothing over here Yea, where I live.
Speaker 1: It's it's more common, and it seems to be more common in Europe, but it's it's totally viable. It's just a question of can you get your grid tie. You've got to build all the infrastructure to actually use the power.
Speaker 2: What we're talking about, if you'd missed it, is that when you have evaporation in canals, let's say, or in reservoirs. Evaporation is money, right, I mean, when you lose water, that's water you can't drink if it's from a reservoir. So some of these countries and cities are making floating barges with solar panels on them that cover the area of the top of the you know, of the water, and they solve the evaporation problem and they generate energy. Yeah, and I just thought it was a brilliant idea.
Speaker 1: It is. I mean, in California, they started covering reservoirs with black plastic balls because they were primarily concerned about the evaporation. And that's a lot cheaper than putting in solar panels. True, but the solar panel approach has the additional advantage of generating electricity. You just got to be able to use that electricity. Yeah, so how do you tie it in? You know, this is where the reservoir model came in, where the excess solar then was used to pump water back into the reservoir, presuming you have a setup that works out. Yeah. So it's sort of a site by side situation.
Speaker 2: That idea doesn't seem to be taking off like we wish it would.
Speaker 1: I think it's very much. You've got to do the calculations in each location, and there's only so many folks who know how to figure these things out, so it's really you know, when those folks get to the project. Okay, but wrapping up on the floating wind project. So where are these pilot projects happening? Norway's big on this for two reasons. The first is their water's very deep, so they can't do nearshore. They're going to do wind at all, They need to do floating. They're also big on the oil platform stuff, right they know their way around it. They've done a lot of it. That's all that north sea work, and in fact one of their biggest projects right now is actually only providing power too deep sea oil rigs nearby as they develop and perfect the technology before they spend the money to send power all the way back home, because when you get that far off shore, transmitting the power back to the shore gets expensive and they have to experiment. They're switching from using AC transmission back to shore to DC transmission factor shore, which is not really proven as well in deep water like this. The UK is also doing a lot, mostly because they've used They've filled up most of their places for fixed bottom development, they've allocated them out, so they're starting to do more in deeper water. You also see this happening in France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Japan, China, Korea. The US does have a project called the Floating Offshore Wind Energy Shot, which is basically recognizing that that wind power is too expensive right now and they're trying to reduce the costs on it as part of the inflation production. Okay, all right. A section I hadn't talked about, you know, a couple of years, but sort of had a little resurgence, not big. Mostly experimental is wave power. Yeah, so wave power is an immature technology. It's been experimented in many ways. The ocean is remarkedly good at destroying things. This is trying to utilize the motion from waves and tides. Sure, their capacity factors are terrible, well, single digits, like less than temper. That's mostly because they barely function. But there's a group off the coast of Oregon called the Pack Wave Energy Project that is repurposing some older wiring already in place, part of a deal with Oregon State University to create sites to do experiments with wavepower. So part of the challenge if you want to build a wave power system is getting the onshore cabling in place and the instrumentation so forth. And so a couple of nautical miles off the coast of Newport, Oregon, they built out the site with the university to allow for prototype experimentation. So multiple bays essentially areas a few one hundred yards across that have both power wiring and control wiring, so that different groups can come in and test one of their wave systems without having to do all that infrastructure. It's kind of brilliant. And these are typically turbines, right, They sometimes turbines sometimes just like a boy that pumps oil, right, or even compresses air. So you fationed this boy is going up and down. Yeah, and it can build up pressure. Right. There's a couple of different techniques and the most common one in these days it is called a point observer absorber. So it's a sort of a linear process. The boy goes up, so it pull it creates some pressure and then as it comes down it pushes that pressure in and that you can turn into rotating motion to create power. Wow, there's been a you know, a zero was one of the ones I looked at that. They built a test unit on Hawaii making about twenty kilowatts of energy. But you know the problem here is, yes, it could make power, but it costs more than what the power's worth. Very really hard to make these things cost effective, and they don't last. The Life Skill Project in Sweden they built out eleven of these point observers with the generations they got to put about two undred and sixty kilowats and then a huge storm came through and destroyed them all.
Speaker 2: I imagine corrosion is a problem too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ocean always seems to win, right, just keeps pounding away. So the big news this year was that the Packwave South is going to open up a larger facility than the original Packwave North one in about seventy meters of water, so a little deeper that is already connected to the grid, so you can actually try selling power back if you want to do the experiments. If you read up on this, you'll hear that it's wired for twenty megawatts of power, which is true. They've got four five megawat conduits going to four bays, four tests berths. Nobody's making a mega wat of power with wave like that's just a ridiculously huge number. But I hope they get to that point five. But it's nice to see some experimentation going on here. It's just to recognize it. These are far away from commercial products. It's very difficult to operate in the ocean, and it's hard to get efficient utilization, and it's not consistent. Right. Sure, the waves are bigger, they're smaller. You know, there's high tides, there's low tides, so you can learn how to do them, but it's hard to make advantages. When we talked about this before, I talked about most of the tidal power systems we know of are actually flood management tools right that on the side also make electricity. I recently did a version of the Future of Energy talk in the Netherlands and we talk with who are flood management masters, and they're in the process of converting an existing flood management gait to install these little turbines one after the next. Be able to put forty of them in. But when they're done, it'll be ten megawats of power, like compared to a they're one, you know, the Netherlands one nuclear power print that produces a thousand megawats of power. Right, It's just wave power is small and incremental, even harder than wind in that respect. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe next year we'll have some news about breakthrough.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we will be fairly far along before we release you the news. Okay, let's take a break and then we'll talk about stories. Sounds good. We'll be right back after these important messages.
Speaker 2: Did you know you can easily migrate asp net web apps to Windows containers on Aws. Use the app to Container tool to containerize your IIS websites and deploy to AWS managed container services with or without Kubernetes. Find out more about app to Container at aws dot Amazon dot com, Slash dot net, slash Modernize, and we're back as the dot Net Rocks twenty twenty four Energy geek out with Richard Campbell. And as a reminder, how about this as a reminder, if you don't want these messages, you can become a patron at Patreon dot dot nerocks dot com five bucks a month to get you an ad free feed, and that list of patrons is growing. So what's next? Mister Campbell got a question from Kyle Nunnery on the twitters. I believe it was when he's asking about solid state batteries, and that just ties into power storage in general. Now we've heard about solid state batteries and then use for forever. It helps to try and to find what does it mean to be a solid state battery. This is the idea of having a solid electrolyte as opposed to a liquid or a gel or a lead acid battery uses lead as the cathode an anode, and the electrolyte is actually sulfuric acid. Right, don't get that stuff on your skin like it's bad.
Speaker 1: When they get corroded, you don't want to just put them in the garbage. And then when you get into more of the gel based batteries, like a lithium ion batteries, a gel based battery, one of the problems with the electrolytes they grow dendrites. They throw these little crystal instructures that will eventually damage the battery and decreasely use. Can it cause a fire? You hear about a companies constantly talking about they got solid state batteries soon. Hyundai says they've got a pilot production for a solid state battery and a car for twenty twenty five. So that's supposed to be next year, but when you dig further, you go, oh, it's actually just a pilot. The mass p actually would be till twenty thirty. RUSSI finding companies that sort of manipulate the term solid state. There was recently you could buy on Amazon a little battery charger unit, you know, the size of a toaster. It was supposedly a solid state battery, although it turned out yes, the electrolyte was solid, but there were other liquids that were in it. So, okay, how.
Speaker 2: Does the what is it the catalyst and the electrolyte, how do they How are they supposed to interact with each other? If they're both solid, it's supposed to be the electrons moving happily through a Rigis structure.
Speaker 1: If you know, there's a reason they still have a release and it's got all the snake oil features, right Like when they talk about they talk about solvecyse batteries, they say it's going to be safer, and it's going to be denser, and it's going to last longer, and it's going to charge faster. It's going to julien your fries and washing toilets, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember graphine, Remember the promise of graphene that had a loss in that was going to be Yeah.
Speaker 1: But again, all of the people that we're talking about that were the researchers who were looking for money, right, Sure, and maybe they got some money and now they're actually building things. We're seeing products here and there. But it's just not that simple, right turning something from something you can build in a lab is something you can buy on Amazon. It's a long difficult path, especially when it's new. Yes. So on the storage side, residential power storage just ties back into the question of what to do with access solar is about the batteries. The good news is if you don't want to buy power wall, you don't want to buy Tesla, you don't have to. Lots of companies now are making very good whole house battery systems. I would look at Anchor and Ecoflow, but try Phase. There's a bunch like Get and Face pick one like. They've all got merit and they're compatible. They're comparable to what Tesla's doing.
Speaker 2: I remember talking about liquid methane and I remember hearing somebody on the radio a couple of years ago, now many two years ago now talking about how some sort of liquid. It might have been ethanol. It might have been methanol that can be generated by electricity and then used as a storage.
Speaker 1: Mechanism. Am I well, am I hearing things? No, there's lots of different storage strategies out there. I mean, methane is remarkably simple to make because it's just carbon and hydrogen, But then you take certain amount of energy to make that, and you're only going to get a certain amount back, Like when you get into power storage, returns are really challenging. Just wait, I'm going to talk about hydrogen and then returns on their shock.
Speaker 2: I think it was methanol that I was. Yeah, turn your excess energy into metha.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you think about power storage for your home, think about batteries. I'm going to talk about it at other storage techniques, but they need size to work, and so it doesn't make sense to really. They wouldn't work at a home scale. They work at a grid scale. Okay, because you know, Elon did us all a favor when they did that bet with Australia and put a whole bunch of power walls down in Victoria Province. This help stabilize power which worked, which is that he proved that grid scale batteries even possible. It's just that lithium I own batteries are exceptionally bad at that job. You know. Those Those batteries were designed to be light and power dense and quick acting, which is all features you want in a car, but isn't important for the grid. They also have a habit of exploding sometimes and they're costly. Right. So a spin off of some folks left Tesla to make grid scale batteries in a company called Form Energy. Their battery uses an iron air to which is resually pioneered by NASA. Yes, you are storing energy in rust. They are about the tenth the price of lithium ion batteries. They are much heavier, they run hot, and they are large, all things that aren't a big deal if you're just building grid power. They also have a natural discharge cycle of one hundred hours, as opposed to lithium ions six hour discharge cycle. Wow, so you're talking running for days. I've talked about them before off of Rust on Trust. Yeah, it's hilarious, isn't it. So I brought them up a couple of times this twenty twenty four They actually broke ground on a power storage facility in Minnesota for Great River Energy. This will be a one and a half megawat storage system and because it runs for one hundred hours, that means one hundred and fifty megawatt hours. That's real power, man, that's not trivial. And it is expected to be operational in twenty twenty five. It was supposed to be done in twenty twenty three, but you know, everything takes longer. Sure, they are raising hundreds of millions, so they're not a little bit of money. They're making the kind of money that allows them to build bigger factory. So they've been built a larger factory in Virginia. They've got a new project going into Maine that is supposed to be eighty five megawatts, So from one point five in Minnesota to eighty five that is much one of the largest power storage systems ever built. Very exciting.
Speaker 2: So I suppose you just need the space, right and Maine's got some space some degree. It's they're not that big, right, This is not as large as like a solar array. It takes up a lot of area to make a gig amount of power. These do days take a certain amount of space. But this is a question of do you have the offsets, do you need to store that power then use it? How long do they last in terms of years before they start failing.
Speaker 1: Well, everything needs maintenance. But the lifespan on these iron air browders is very good. But we don't really know because we've never built them at this size before. We'll not really know if they last twenty years. The last twenty years, but the expectations are x iron air battery is okay. There's also a concept called thermal power storage, and this is one of these things that works at scale. So the idea is when you have excess energy right your solar or your wind or whatever power source you're using that's that you can't just shut off on demand is doing this thing. Then you heat up a substrate sand sand, graphite. I've also seen etwos thermal storage unit. So these just you literally have a box full of sand with electrical heating elements in it and it'll get up to hundreds of degrees centigrade and then you have a set of pipes running through it that you either pump air or water through to heat that up, make steam to spin a turbine, or even just to provide heat. The big one that's being built right now is in Finland Polar Night Energy, and it is a megawatt storing one hundred megawatt hour, so comparable to what we're talking about a Minnesota with form energy, Except this thing is just a silo right now. Admittedly it weighs a lot to store a mega wat they're actually using crushed soapstone, which is a byproduct of a factory nearby. So they're taking waste, grinding it down into smaller pieces and piling it into a silo that's thirteen meters high and fifteen meters wide. Wow, that's the size of a house. But it stores a mega want of energy and can discharge you know, over days and days and days with about a ninety percent efficiency. So you know, especially in some in Finland's place that far north, bright sunny winters, but they only you know, the days are short, so in those days you collect a lot of sort of power. You heat up this sand, and then you have power available to you in storage with you know, minimal moving parts, nothing being burned. It's just a big container of powdered soapstone.
Speaker 2: Now, I haven't seen your notes, and I don't know if you're going to talk about this or not, but there's always seems to be people talking about using landfill mass to burn and clean burn. That's the key, maybe at such a high temperature that smoke doesn't get out and pollute. I seem to hear about this, you know, every once in a while, But I have no idea what the state of this potential energy sources.
Speaker 1: I hadn't planned on talking about biomass burning. I do talk about it in the Future of energy talking. You can find that on YouTube. Biomass tends to be an opportunistic power generation source. So you have waste biomass like you are a wheat pool, and so as you clean, remove the wheat from the chaff, and so forth, you get the wheat packaged up to be shipped. You have all of this agro waste that comes out of it. You can take that agro waste and burn it to boil water and spend a turbine and make a little with electricity. They're small and they're localized. The technique you're talking about that has the minimum emissions is called pyrolysis. Typically there's two weight approaches to it. You either use a digestion process where you use bacteria to change the material so it doesn't mean as much carbon dioxide, or you burn it a very high temperature so that the carbon is blown off the oxygen and you end up with graphic individuals they're not Pyrolysis is hot, and so it tends to use more energy than it emits. So it's it's one of the reasons these things haven't taken off. They're just not that easy. The fuel matters and biomass tends to be irregular.
Speaker 2: I have a fire pit. It's a Solo brand, a solo stove, it's called, and it has just a mechanical design. There's I mean, it's just a it's just the shape of it works in such a way that once the fire gets going, the smoke is like sucked in through holes either in the bottom or the top or something, and it gets it's burned again, and it literally is smokeless when it starts. Of course you have all sorts of smoke, but when that thing gets going, you don't see smell anything.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's still emissions, they're just not particulate, right, So yeah, hot fires burn cleaner. Yeah, all right, let's finish up.
Speaker 2: So the idea is, you know, landfills are full of crap that isn't going to biod grade, and you know, people talk about burning that stuff in some sort of really high hot, high heat manner so as to not be as polluting.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it's going to cost a lot of energy. It's all. If we had access energy, it's possibility. It's a way to clean up the mass, but it's not a way to make power. Okay, all right, finishing up storage. China put online the largest flywheel energy storage system in the world in ding Lundon. It's one hundred and twenty flywheels able to generate about thirty megawatts of energy. So what are we talking about? Yeah, what does that imagine is cylinder about two meters across and six meters long, buried in the ground with a large metallic cylinder inside of it that you spin up with electricity and it has so much momentum that you can then tap that electricity back off of it again. Okay, just a spinning flywheel. This is one hundred and twenty of them. They're buried in the ground for a reason. When they come apart, they fly, so you keep them in the ground to keep them safe. They don't start power for very long. They're good for stabilizing the grid, so if you're switching, you know solars coming down because it's night and you're powering up your other plants. As the power gets a little unstable, these flywheels really come into play. It's the largest in the world. The second largest, the one that it beat out was actually in Stevens Style in New York Beacon Power. It's a twenty megawat system. So these are not that weird. They but they don't scale particularly well and they don't start power for long. They're great for the several minutes where you need to stabilize the grid. They're not designed to run for days. Got it. Power storage The largest in the world is pump tydro right, that's pumping water uphills so you can let it flow back downhill. Has about an eighty ninety percent efficiency ratio. Today there's about one hundred and twenty five gigawatts of pumped hydro in the world. There was a great study I talked about last year from the Australian University about how how many pumped hydro sites exist in the world that could be built is the place different from a hydro electric site where you need to have flowing water at the top of a hill and you control it going down to the bottom of a hill, and that makes power. This is I have flowing water at the bottom of a hill, right, so I put the reservoir at the top of the hill, pump the water up there, and bring it back down when I need it. There's lots more sites for that. There are about two hundred gigawatts of pump hydro indevelopment, so almost double what already exists. Wow. So we're catching on to different ways to store power. It's not just about batteries. There's thermal, there's gravity, lots of choices for stormpower. Nice. All right, Let you wanted to talk about poweralysis, It is probably a good time to talk about hydrogen because hydrogen involves paralysis. Now, all right. You get a lot of noise about hydrogen these days, and there's a very good reason for it. It's good for the oil and gas industry. Why why does the oil and gas industry like hydrogen. I see the writing on the wall that the pressure's on to burn less hydrocarbons, But they own all these pipelines and things, and hydrogen can be piped too, so instead of pumping natural gas through those pipes, you could be piping through hydrogen. Not that it's easy, hydrogen is remarkably good at escaping and it's not particularly efficient, but they still it's an option for them to keep running the infrastructure. So when you hear about hydrogen economies, just remember that's because the oil and gas industry likes it the most, because it's got lots of problems. Now, it's not like we don't use hydrogen today. It's used in industrial processes. We don't use it for energy generation, we use it for industrial processes. It's how you hydrogenate soybean oil. You need hydrogen, and so the mechanism that's used to make the majority of hydrogen today is called steam reformation, which is typically you take methane and you blast it to blow the carbon off the hydrogen. You store the hydrogen, you let the carbon go as carbon dioxides. So for every ton of hydrogen gas you make, it takes about six megawatt hours of electricity, and you produce a ton of hydrogen at about nine to twelve tons of carbon dioxide. It's a messy process, but it works. And so again we will only make a certain amount of hydrogen today for industrial processes. But if we want to scale it up for the so called hydrogen economy, we need to get more efficient. That one is to get rid of the carbon dioxide. So if you up the power consumption four times to about twenty five megawatt hours, you can do methane pyrolysis. So now you're blowing the oxygen, the hydrogen and carbon apart, but you're not allowing oxygen to bind to it because the energy levels are too high. So you get out a ton of hydrogen and about three tons of graphite, carbon powder and barry. If you want to secure the carbon that way, it's questioning or use the graphite like it's up to you. It just takes a lot of energy. Right. The one that everybody wants, the one everybody loves, the so called green hydrogen. The other steam reformation being gray and making it water. It's making from water electrolysis, electronity. So this is you've seen these experiments in your in your science labs. Pretty easy. You can take a battery and put two leads in water and you'll get bubbles out. One of the bubbles will be hydrogen, the other one will be oxygen. Beautiful. To do electrolysis at scale to make a ton of hydrogen gas, you need about sixty megawatts megawatt hours of energy. Okay, so ten times what it costs to make an energy what it takes to make a ton of hydrogen with steam reformation. You'll also make eight tons of auction. But nobody minds that, right, and so it's just too costly. Like here's the here's the other equation. So I have this hydrogen gas and I want to make electricity from it. So the most efficient way to make energy from hydrogen right now is in a fuel cell R right. We use these on the Space Shuttle. They're pretty expensive and finicky machines.
Speaker 2: Reverse osmosis, I think, right, what's that reverse osmosis machine? Yeah, kind of thing.
Speaker 1: It's a little more. Yeah, there's a protein exchange membrane. You're basically forcing the hydrogen and auction back together. You make water, you get electricity from it for a Typically from a fuel cell, you'll get three point three six megawat hours of electricity for one ton of hydrogen. You pull the oxygen from the atmosphere. So that's about fifty percent of the energy that it costs to break out that hydrogen with steam reformation. It's five percent of the energy that it costs to get it from electrolysis. So this is a loser.
Speaker 2: It's a loser, especially when you consider electric cars are already here and they're already efficient, and why would you just add all these extra steps to put hydrogen in a car. It's such a loss. Yeah, and it's hard to store, all right, Hydrogen wants to escape. It goes through most metals. It's the smallest atom, so it's very tough. Also, it's tough to pump because it's a low density gas. You've got to pump a lot more of it to move the same amount of energy. Like methane is way more efficient in every respect. Oh, there's another problem with hydrogen. It goes boom.
Speaker 1: Well, so does methane. Right, we can cope with that, but it's.
Speaker 2: Not that Yeah, Well, trying to trying to contain it and keep it safe. You know, if you get into an accident in a gasoline powered car, Yeah, you have the gasoline kind of burns slow, right, so it doesn't necessarily explode.
Speaker 1: But if you.
Speaker 2: Puncture a hydrogen tank, game over, man.
Speaker 1: Well it'll it depends. Yeah, it's not that. It's not a fast explosive. So right now it costs about five thousand dollars to make a mega to make a ton of hydrogen about five bucks a kilo. They Department of Energy is working has an initiative none of these shot things called the hydrogen shot where they're trying to get it down to a dollar keel or about a thousand dollars and stuff. They don't have any way of actually doing that. They're just trying, so it's a challenging project. One of the areas where electrolysis kind of gets interesting here is when you get back to that excess solar thing or even excess wind, I mean, any of these power generation methods where they we can't control when they generate. They just generate. If you have access power, you could be doing electrollsy essentially for free, but you do have to store the hydrogen and move it and none of that is free. Mm so, but it's still understanding that the electrolysis is the most expensive part. It just consumes a lot of energy. It's one of the possibilities.
Speaker 2: Well, and also given the fact that you know that electricity could be just going right to the grid to power electric vehicles and other things that require electricity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or stored in batteries or thermal like strain batteries. Yeah, exactly, it's just why do the hydrogen conversion? Exactly? That's my position. All right, let's move on from hydrogen to geothermal cool We're now getting into the area where geothermal power plants. The ones that work traditional they're really efficient, like stunning the capacity factors ninety percent. Wow, they're not big. There's not a lot of geothermal in the world for a reason. Most geothermal power comes from geysers Iceland, for example. So you're looking for interface points in the earth where you have a wet system being heated by the rock underneath it. Yea. So places like Iceland, Indonesia, New Zealand, where they have quite a lot of volcanic activity, they've got these geyser basins think Yellowstone, Yeah right, so weird colored pools, occasional spouting guysers, that kind of thing. This stuff, by the way, all over New Zealand too. But they realize the energy potential of it. Years ago, and so they drill into it, put pipes down to bring that hot water up, spin a turbine and then pump back down. It does destroy the guys are bed in the process. These systems are very fragile, and so as soon as you mess with them in any way, they go away. Like one would argue, they're more valuable as amazing tourist destinations than they are. New Zealand destroyed a bunch of them. It's one of the reasons that Yellowstone is so heavily protected because the experience of any country trying to tap that power that way is it's an industrial site after that, and they do fail. Like you disrupt that water flow, sometimes that water goes away. I just go right into a volcano. You know, well, yeah, he's coming to Mount Saint Helens. So there's the traditional geothermal is what call a wet rock model. So you already have voids in the rock that build up steam so that you can take that power and so forth. But we know there's lots of dry rock right that's very hot. It just doesn't have water in it right, right, And you can't really pump water into it because it's essentially in perma. So what's happened in the past few years, and again I've talked about this before. The companies have gotten together using fracking techniques, so horizontal drilling combined with vertical drilling to make wet rock structures. So they use horizontal drilling and fracking to go into a dry rock bed. The fracking actually creates the voids to give you a place to water. Then you have vertical pipes coming down on one side of that void to pump the water in, and vertical pipes on the other side to take that hot water back out and spinder and this we talked about this last year. Fervo in Nevada and Utah built test plants, megawatt sized power plants using this technique, and the big thing they pointed out was that they even had one of them break right then. One of the things happens when you slam cold water down on hot rocks is those rocks move and the water stop flowing. But they were able to use the horizontal drilling method to re establish the bed. So it's got possibilities and they've raised a ton of money. In fact, Utah has now got this new project could call Operation gigawatt where they want to start scaling out geothermal and nuclear power to provide a farm or energy. So they've licensed Fervo to build out a two gigawatt geothermal power plant in Utah that would be as much geothermal has has ever been built in the US. Wow. Like you're really talking about doubling it. Wow, And they are bringing the kind of money that's supposed to work. On a previous show, I mentioned microwave drilling. So traditional drilling uses diamond headed tips and casements and mud. So you drill down in the ground and you're grinding up the rock and that rock gets in the ways you grind it up right, so you pump down a slurry mud that helps lift that rock out of the pipe so that you can keep drilling down. Eventually headwear is out. You got to back all the way out, use casements to stop the hole from classes. Like, drilling is a complicated set of technologies. And don't even get me started on horizontal drilling where they actually turn corners and things with these casements. It's astonishing technology which the US leads the world. Well, we should talk about fracking before we wrap up here. I don't know if now it's the right time, but we should talk about it. Sure, I know that based on what I've learned in the last few years, mostly from talking to you, fracking kind of reinvented the energy boom of the United States. The US is now export back one of the largest in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also has its critics, I believe it or not. My family is intimately involved in my bigger family. One of my cousins out in Pennsylvania was the guy in Bradford County who has that YouTube video of famously lighting his tap on fire.
Speaker 1: Right, his methane was coming through his water's block, correct. Yeah. And the oil industry did fracking very sneaky, right. Instead of the big companies doing it, they had little groups develop it so there was nobody to sue and they experimented on people essentially. Yeah, they've now learned not to drill into a water table. Yeah, but you know the essence of this technology is to drill into non permeable oil bearing rock, frack it to loosen the oil and extract, yeah, which.
Speaker 2: Means fracture, fracture it, and then extract the gas. And there's also critics who say that it causes earthquakes.
Speaker 1: What do you say about that. I think it absolutely does. But they're small and they're not fault line earthquakes. They're not going to continue. But the bottom line is, when you move rock to free oil, that's an earthquake. By definition, you equaked the earth. Yeah, I guess you're right there.
Speaker 2: And so do you see fracking in the United States continuing and expanding and perhaps being exported elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, other countries have rejected it, other countries have embraced it. The US is a net oil exporter for a reason that technology works. You've noticed this not in the news much so they've largely resolved the issues. But I don't know an administration in recent history that didn't say drill, baby, drill. And it's certainly changed the geopolitics of the world to have the USB and net petrochemical exporter, so it doesn't seem like it's going away. Last year I mentioned microwave drilling. The company is called Quay's Energy, where they had this high frequency microwave that would drill into the ground by melting the rock. Very cool, very science fiction, very demoable, not particularly practical. It's a tremendous amount of energy The idea here was that you vaporized the rock with microwaves and that rock would embed itself to become its own casement, which is a cool idea. It just doesn't work at depth. Then you need to pump more and more pressurized air in as you're doing that, which takes more energy. It's problematic. So it's and then looking at their funding and what's been currently going on, I think everybody's figured out it's not going to go anywhere, So okay, it's not a thing. Matt Furder asked on one of the social media's about volcanic geo thermal, which hearkens back to the super Volcano show we did fifteen sixty four back in July twenty eighteen. Yeah, and I just said, why not just stick a pipe into Mount Saint Helens to see what happened. This wouldn't be my first choice. It's kind of a messy place. Look all of the geo thermal it exists in the US, which is in California, Nevada, Utah is volcanic geothermal. Right, there's called errors is young immature volcano. Magma buds all over. That's what's heating up the water on the rock in the first place, relatively close to the surface. There was the reason I did that super volcano show is that I had read the paper from NASA about how to defeat the Yellowstone supervolcano. Right that the Yellowstone super volcano has erupted every six hundred thousand years for the past two point four million years, and the last eruption was six hundred thousand years ago, which is yeah, twice the duration that humans have existed on the planet. What would we do if we knew it was going to happen. We're pretty good at understanding volcanic behavior now, So if they Yellowstone Caldera was to start rising, aka magma pressure is building up, what could we do about that? Because that a volcano erupting a super volcano is hard to conceive of it's several kilometers across. Would literally drop ash in a swath going east all the way to the Atlantic Ocean, several hundred kilometers across, Like it would be bad. Yeah, And so the idea was put a series of pipes down around the cult ara, not in it, but near the hot rock, and pump the heat away by making electricity with it so that it never melts its way through the crust. You just extract enough heat. Now would we win that battle? That's a good question, because the other side of this is you're going to make that plug stronger and stronger as you're stucking that heat away until it does blow even bigger. But you're also and you'd also destroy the park in the process. But if the choice is between destroying the country and destroying a park, I think the park's going to lose.
Speaker 2: And when you say destroy the country, it probably would be a little bit bigger circumference than just the country.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you think depending on the scope of the eruption. Yeah, I mean you remember Mount Pinituba rupted in ninety one. It lowered the average temperature on the planet by half a degree for a year. It sent ash all the way around the world. When Krakatoa erupted in the eighteen hundreds, they called that the year without a summer, So a super volcanic eruption. The last one was more than sixty thousand years ago. Mount Taupo could easily create the equivalent of a nuclear winter, several years of darkness, plant death all over the world. But the ash fall even from a smaller version of that eruption would be several feet deep, a few hundred miles across, running from Wyoming to Boston right through Connecticut. That's a lot of economic destruction. And you know, who knows how wide that band would be. So there's a case for could we do this now? A minutely, this was the Planetary Defense Group. The guys were also dealing with how did we stop asteroids the planet? So forth? So this was another project and very speculative, but not out of realms. You know, the old joke is the dinosaurs died out because they didn't have a space program, right, yes, right, right. If we knew that there was a possibility of that volcano, that super volcano erupting, would we want to try and stop it? Is that feasible? I wouldn't say anybody other than Americans would even consider it and take it seriously, but it would be possible. Yeah, all right, what's next? I've talked about all that because it was the easy stuff. Because now we get to talk about the hard stuff. Okay, it's time to talk about nuclear. Nuclear. So again I've been doing talks on nuclear I've gotten a lot of feedback from a lot of people. I've read deeper than ever I come to appreciate how complex the industry actually is, or at least understand more about it. You know, we talk about the nuclear industry being stagnant, but at the same time it kept improving in subtle ways like that are not that obvious. Three Mile Island really stopped nuclear development in the US, and in Chernobyl that was seventy nine, and in Chernobyl, you know, arguably one of the large, one of a significant cause of the fall of the Soviet Union, and then Fukushima and twenty eleven, you know, that being said, this year a new nuclear power plant went online in Georgia and Waynesboro at the Vaugdeal site.
Speaker 2: Was it a traditional nuclear power plant or it is absolutely Did it have any modern upgrades. It's an AP one thousand, which is a Gen three plus. So the Vaugdeal site had its original reactors, which are all both Westinghouse reactors built in the eighties. They went online in eighty seven and eighty nine, one point two gigawatts each. They just got their license extended. They're in good shape, so they expect to run them till twenty forty seven and twenty forty nine, respectively. So in two thousand and nine, the Volacteal group applied to add two more reactors, which is unusual in the US. It's always just been a pair of reactors in each site. Other parts of the world have more. They'll do four or eight. Chernobyl was four. It was a reactor for that blew up.
Speaker 1: So they applied for two more in two thousand and nine, reactors three and four. They were the first, well they applied earlier. Now they started construction in two thousand and nine. Was the first new reactor since three Mile Island. So they and this was this what they call the EP one thousand designs. So this is also Westinghouse like the reactors already there, but this is a newer generation. One of these is a Gen where they called Gen three plus, certified in two thousand and five. And the whole point here was that reactors had gotten really expensive to build, and so the eight one thousand design was to reduce costs. The big one was passive shutdown. The thing that caused all the problems in Fukushima when they lost the generators that the reactors needed water pumped through them all the time to stop from overheating. There were actually six reactors in Fukushima. We never hear about five and six because they did have this passive shutdown capability, so it didn't matter y had no power to them. They cool down on their own. So the eight one thousands are about not only that they passively cool down so they're safe, but it means you don't need a lot of the complexity in the reactor. They're talking about half as many safety valves and eighty percent less piping on the safety systems, a third fewer pumps, eighty five percent less control wiring and sensors, a smaller reactor building that reduces the amount of concrete used.
Speaker 2: Like there's all about reducing Why didn't anybody think of this in the seventies, Well.
Speaker 1: They did, That's why they had the design. They worked on design for ages and they finally got it certified in two thousand and five. So, I mean it's been twenty years since this design was improved to again to reduce the price of building a nuclear reactor. I remember build the safety It sounds like two thousand and nine, right. This design was actually lie to the Chinese in two thousand and eight, and within ten years they built four reactors with it. Okay, I hope you see the setup that I'm getting to here. They only paid for one. Oh no, they've paid for all four of them, and they've actually improved on design. They're mailing one point five and one point seven giga wat reck Wow Cool under license. So two thousand and nine, the estimate is fourteen billion to build Unit three and four. By twenty twenty three, it was up to thirty four billion when the first Then when we unit three was done, we haven't got the budget yet for Unit four because it got it went up and it came online in April of this year, twenty twenty four. So bankrupted the construction company bankrupted Westinghouse geez right, like wow, they went into bankruptcy and recovered, right, they got additional financing and so forth. But I want just to understand these this is quite a disaster, and the story of Ougdall is long. It has a lot to do with the fact that they're hadn't been any construction for twenty years, so a lot of the most knowledgeable people about how to build reactors and how to certify them. Those people didn't exist anymore, and so everything took longer, cost more. There were foolish mistakes and it just cost a fortune, and it doesn't have to be that way. I would also now compare this to the Kashizaki Krawa reactors in Japan. These were advanced boiling water reactors, also generate three designs, where they started construction in nineteen ninety two and finished in ninety six, operational in four years, Like it is possible to build full size reactors in a reasonable length at time comparable to any other kind of large scale power plant. Wow, the Chinese didn't let in ten the first time they ever built AP one thousands, and they still got it done. Now admitutedly the Chinese will cut corners, but that the Japanese can do it in four years, admittedly on a site that already had reactors on a design that they understood pretty well. Like, it's doable. It just has gotten little nuts out there. So that brings us to small modular reactors, which is the most common question. Andrew Clark, jen Artowski Peter Luiz piqued, all these folks are like, hey, tell us where we are at small reactors? So why why do we want small reactors at all? And in fact, it's got to the point now where in some jurisdictions in Illinois they actually vetoed a pro nuclear bill because there's pro nuclear bills coming out these days. They vetoed the bill because it allowed for large reactors to be built, not just small, which is silly, like why do you care about the design? Like just you know, nuclear has got is having a renaissance right now in a lot of ways. And I'll talk about more of the stuff that's going on, but yeah, it's California plast If you want to build a nuclear power plant in California has to be small, modular, even though none exists. Right, So why first question is the first reactors that we built back in the fifties and sixties were small. They were two hundred and three hundred megawatts. Why did we scale them up in the first place. Why didn't we just stay Well, the reason is that it made them better. They were more thermally efficient, for you needed fewer people and machines per megawak produced. They were the same size as existing power plants generation. And so you get into the situation now where SMRs would become a nuclear engineering solution to a political and pr problem. Well, last time we talked about them.
Speaker 2: You talked about some of the benefits being that they're less dangerous because there's less waste and the waste is more manageable or something like that. And also having distributed power is just better for the grid than having everything in one central location.
Speaker 1: And those things are true. I mean, first off, once you get to a Gen three reactor, you have all the safety systems, right, they are passively cool down. They don't need any of that complexity. We've matured that. In fact, the small modulars are utilizing the same technology. They are also passive shutdown, and so okay. The the problem is that when you have twelve reactors, you need twelve monitoring systems. Yeah, right, and you need people to watch them all, so that increases costs. Actually, now, the idea of having a central place to build the reactors and move them around is a good one because it simply separate the operation of reactors from the refueling process. But that hasn't been built out yet, right, We're still doing testing on this. The point being the battle here is that small modular is going to cost more than per megawatt than conventional reactors of the other day, and insights where you need less power. Not everybody needs a giga want of power. You couldn't put one of these plants anywhere in Africa, for example, because you can't use the power. Smaller reactors would make a lot of sense, but in a place where you need a lot of power, fewer, larger units do make sense if you manage them well and it takes fewer people to do so. So there's a case for if the main goal was to get as much nuclear online as quickly as possible, why wouldn't you go with the known design. The modularity parts important, but couldn't we do more of that modularity with a conventional reactor design? Stop building them so Bespoke build more of them in components and factories, build and build them at scale. The fact that you you know, part of the problem with VAUG TELL three and four is there's only two of them, right, If you were building twenty, then there's then that you have a bigger team. Folks kind of know what they're doing. They move from site to site like you can start to work at larger scale. Now that being said, I don't just want to poopoo on SMRs because they're definitely being built right China has has had the Linglong one, which is an ACP one hundred small reactor abou one hundred twenty five megawatts, started construction in twenty one. Their pressure vessel went in in twenty three. They expect to be in operation in twenty six, so they're the furthest Along with this smaller design, the US has a demonstration reactor that technically qualifies as an SMR, but it's a little different than this is an oak Ridge. This is the Keros Hermes Low Power Demonstrator. It's not for making electricity. It's actually what they consider a generation for reactor as opposed to the EIGHTP one thousand, most the s martial Generation three. This is next generation and this is fluorine salts. Ah. So I knew we were going to get to since the Oak Ridge experiments of the sixties, right, the thorium reactors in Staffe. Nobody in the US has built a thorium reactor or molten salt reactor of any kind. This is a molten salt reactor. So it's a small modular and molten salt and molten salt. Yeah, but again it's a demonstration reactor. It's just for testing. It's been licensed, so it's under construction. It's going to become a thing that's exciting.
Speaker 2: That's cool, and so if that goes well, do you see molten salt moving into larger scale reactors nuclear plants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let me get there, because we're used doing more stuff of malt salt all the time. Cool, but most mall modulars are stuck with light water because it's known, right we've got a knife variables. They're trying to stay simple and that fits with what Canada is doing with the SMR which is in the Darlington site. So they have now prepared for four reactors on that site. This year they got the preparation on the site, so construction starts next year. They expect to They expect to be up and running in twenty twenty eight. They will probably miss that date because it is a first of a kind and so of course they're going to be problems. But yeah, SMRs are coming, but the problem here is they shouldn't be coming strictly the exclusion of everything else. Sure, you know there's a case for the Ape one thousand and that you could build those at scale and get a lot more power. You know, as we're starting to have governments have these missions where it's like we need to bring thirty gigawatts of nuclear online in the US one of their mandates. Well, do you want to do that three hundred megawatts at a time or one point two gigawatts at a time? Right, right, depending on the location. So there's cases for both. Right, let's talk about thorium. Yeah, Peter Lewis asked about those. Folks are always interested At Shanghai Institute had a test reactor put together in twenty twenty one. It's a two megawatt reactor, and last year they got the license a permit to build a ten megawatt tests reactor. That site got identified this year. Construction starts next year. So thorium reactors are on their way in China. Very cool, and again tell us what the benefit of thorium is over lightwater. So we talked about this on the Thorium molt Salt Reactor Show because it's a combination of three things. It's using thorium instead of uranium, it's using molten salt instead of solid fuel, and it was supercritical carbon dioxide. I believe for the turbine technology because when you go molten salt your temperatures go way way out. They're much hotter, and so thorium is safer than uranium. Is that the idea or not really? What thorium is five times more plentiful than uranium. Okay, but to use thorium in a reactor, you actually have to breed it into uranium. So you bombard it with a neutron, and that neutron sticks and then has a beta decay, so it becomes protectium. And then you which is AUM. Yes, it's a real thing. So thorium is atomic weight ninety so that means that has ninety protons and the number of protons tells you what element it is, right, So you hit it with a neutron. Neutron gets bored, turns into a proton. I know, it's weird, but it's the thing baited again. So now it's protectinium atomic weight ninety one. Then it happens again, another pro neutron flips and it becomes ninety two, and that's your UM two thirty three. Okay, that's what you're running the reactor. Now you combine it with fluorine to make uranium and a fluoride and you've got you've got a liquid that is only it only becomes liquid at four degree centigrade, so it's hot, but it doesn't boil until fifteen hundred degrecentigrade. So you have a huge working range, right, almost one thousand degrees. You work it as supposed to water, which is one hundred right, right, Sure, that big working range means you can deal with heat, and as it gets hotter, it expands, so it tends to slow down the reaction. It's moderated by graphite, so you don't there's no water involved any of this. Now. Admittedly, urinium fluorides are dangerous, like this stuff is corrosive. It's toxic, but it turns to a solid as soon as it cools down. And it sounds like you can control it more, can you not? Well, it has some It definitely has some advantages. Okay, it's not. Nothing is simple, or we'd all be doing it for sure. Right, while it's in the while it's in the graphite moderator, fission going on, right, So this is uranium atoms are being broken apart into different elements, and if it leaves the graphite, it cools down. So one of the passive safety systems is you have a salt plug at the bottom of the containment vessel, and if it gives two hot say have over a thousand degrees or so, that's all plug melts and the fluid runs out into containment vessels that aren't graphite, and the reaction just stops. They had this system at Oakridge in the sixties when they're experimenting to do this, and they do that on the wheat so they didn't have to work on the weekends. They just melt the salt plug, let the fluid run out, the whole thing would cool down, and on Monday they would electrically heat the fluid back up till the material uptil was a fluid again and then pump it back in the reactor with a replaced salt plug and continue running. Yeah, that's pretty cool, pretty safe, and it's got some strengths. It also you can run the reactor. You can keep the reactor running and add new fuel to it as opposed to having to shut a reactor down to change fuel rods. And it's there are chemical processes you can run in line to remove by products. So one of the issues you have with solid fuels is that gases are made from some of the transmutations like xenon and krypton, and they cracked the rods, and so eventually I have to stop using those rods. You don't want to crumble. That would be bad, and so you take them out and you reprocess them, or in the case of the United States, you store them in polls them for decades because you stopped fuel reprocessing in the nineteen seventies. It's really kind to turn around. Well, that was the believe it or not, and it's relevant the day we're recording this. That was the Carter versus Ford election, a Carter one on nuclear nonprofilation, and it was Ford that shut down fuel reprocessing in because it's how we got plutonium and they've never restarted it. Rest in peace Hunters yesterday, extraordinary man from this recording. So the gases on naturally bubble out of the fluorium the fluorine salts. Now that's a plus and a minus. One is they're not in the way. The other is you've got to keep it contained, right, So your containment vessel is now accumulating these radioactive gases in the top of the vessel. But fluorine salts also don't need to be under pressure, so you're not running a high pressure vessel like you do are with water reactors, where they're pressurized to have enough heat the heat exchanging. We're getting better at using these kinds of molten salts non radioactive versions because they store a lot of heat, so it's really a good way to move heat, make steam shpin turbines or even try other turbine technologies like supercritical cover docs afterly, so there's a lot we're getting some value out of salts even without getting into the react radioactive versions. Relating to this is Copenhagen Atomics, which are out of Denmark, who are building a molten salt reactor that fits in a set of containers so it could be shipped by truck. Again, this sounds like science fiction, an unfundable and so forth, but they've actually raised enough money that they are now building a non They've built a pair of non fissionable reactor prototypes, so they've got no radioactive materials because Denmark doesn't allow it. But they are using both nitrate in florian salts and they're heating up their reactor with electricity to show that their fluid systems work right to the point now where They expect the next year to scale up to a one megawatt thermal a non fisional prototype. Then they have to find a way to make it legal to start working with fissional materials, which is a problem in Denmark, or they'll get a license in another country to do this. But they're basically proving out their models, so they are bending metal and building things around this. So again I'm combining two different technologies. Thorium is interesting in certain places because it's more plentiful in uranium, but there's lots of uranium were do not have any shortage uranium. But India is very interested in thorium for the reactors that are developing their own because India has thorium in the ground there, they don't have uranium, so rather have to buy uranium from another country like Russia or Australia. If they can mature the thorium technology enough for themselves, that's their own indigenous power system. Yeah, the US has that would be good for them. The US has lots of thorium, doesn't have an uranium, but Canada's got uranium and we're buddies, you know, at least for now for now, so that works out just fine. So, but the maturing the thorium fuel chain is not a trivial problem, and in the end you're only just the important thing to understand about armies. You make it into uranium. Making molten salt reactors is a different thing, and it's also valuable. You could run out any kind of uranium you want. Two thirty three to thirty five, thirty eight is fine. You just got to mature all of the fuel processes. There's some material challenges for the toxicity of the fluorines, and you've got to do the extraction systems. But one of the things that Copenhagen Comics bushes on is this is a fuel wave burner. But the nature of molten salt reactors is that you can leave the actinides in the loop until they all break down and you run a solid fuel and a light water reactor. Typically a given rod is going to be the reactor for six years, so it'll every two years you'll move it around, but after six years it's run as far as it can. But the vast majority of the uranium that went in that rod is still in there right, It's just contaminated with other things. And so if you're the French. You reprocess that fuel and take the uranium back out of it and make new fuel runs. Right. This is also where you get the plutonium, and they've also learned to put the plcunium back in the fuel rod and burn that as well. In a molten salt reactor, you don't need to take them out and reprocess them. You reprocess them in line. This is the technology. It isn't mature, but this is one of the things you'd learned to do with the molten salt reactor. So the whole time you're making electricity, you're also removing materials, and you're breaking down the actinides, the radioactives until there's virtually none left. And so the promise is we don't have all this nuclear waste, that we have less nuclear waste, and we have short life a few hundred years versus tens of thousands of years, right, So I would see arguably we'd end up as soon as we get a molten salt reactor mature, we'll probably put it down beside our light water reactors and take it's their old fuel and use it up to make electricity and clean up they waste from the light water reactors.
Speaker 2: Is there any chance of taking the spent rods out of the ground wherever they are and using those in a molten salt reactor.
Speaker 1: Probably, devatrication is not a trivial problem, and it's going to be cheaper materials, but you know that's one of the options.
Speaker 2: Well, also, most importantly, just to get rid of the waste million year price tag on it or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to another reactor design that actually broke ground in the US this year, and it is based on a liquid sodium reactors. The company is Terror Power. The reactor is called Natrium, Natrium being the Greek word for sodium. That's why the atomic name is na. It's for Natuah. Okay, Now, there's liquid sodium reactors around since the beginning of the atomic age. The Russians run a few of them. What are we doing here, Well, it's a very different kind of reactor when you use water with solid fuel. The water serves a few different purposes. One is that it is the moderator. It slows the neutrons down. Neutrons coming off of uranium are moving very giving a fraction of the speed of light, and when they're going that quick, they're hard to collide with, so having them run through water it slows them down to what they call thermal neutrons, so they have a higher impact rate. Although the upside about being fastest when you do hit things, you break them, and so more atoms fission quicker. So the light rotter reactor fuel process. When uranium two thirty eight is hit with a thermal neutron, it keeps that neutron and it becomes a proton and that's how you make plutonium, right, Okay, But if you hit it with a fast neutron, you'll break it. You'll pull it apart of thecom variant and krypton or something. There's a bunch of different combinations it'll turn into. And so the using fast neutrons in a reactor has been a key thing for a long time. And sodium is transparent to neutrons, so it's your ability to move heat around with liquid sodium, but it doesn't stole the neutrons around. So you have a very fast, running, very hot reactor using liquid sodium. Again, they have been around for a long time. The problem is it's liquid sodium. Yeah, And the problem with liquid sodium is that it volatile. It burns in the air and it explodes in water. Yeah okay, and it's not transparent, so when you want to look in the reactor, you can't see anything. And so the process of actually cleaning out a reactor do maintenance on it, you have to get every bit of sodium up. It's not that easy to do. The fire problem is so prevalent that in Russia, where they still operate a couple of these sodium reactors, they just plan for the fires. It just happens. Yeah, it's a thing, regular sodium fires. Don't worry too much about that smoke. Don't breathe that it's bad. Yeah, it's bad. Meantime, Natrium has gotten a license, so they've broke around in twenty twenty four. The reactor design is not approved, but the salt parts. So what they've done is they've separated the design into the radioactive parts the reactor parts, and they are going to use that molten sodium that's gotten hot from the reaction to heat up fluorine salts, which are then pumped to a tank that it then has the separate area with all the power generation and so forth. So they have a license for that now. This is similar to what Copenhangan Atomics doing with their non fissioning reactor design. These guys are building all the non fission parts first. Because they're actually going to store a lot of that molten salt, it allows them to have surge power. So the initial reactor design is only about three hundred and fifty megawatts, but they should be able to bump up to five hundred megawats for a few hours because they have enough hot molten salt stored that they can run that use that salt to flash steam more than the reactor can actually generate, so you can you now have a sort of power dynamic. This is an interesting thing to add to almost any power source.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems complex, but it sure solves the problem it does.
Speaker 1: It stabilizes power. It's recognizing that power is heat, right, and so it's just if you're using these molten salts, which you need to use anyway, you to build out high temperature steam and possibly better generator designs because you have so much heat. This opens the door to that. This is how the newer Helio Stat power plant in Morocco, which is just reflecting mirrors onto a post. Yeah right, runs twenty four hours a day even when the sun's down, because they heat up so much molten salt. The salt keeps the generators running through the night. So admittedly nuclear actors run twenty fours a day. That's their advantage. But this actually gives you some surge ability anyway. They've actually they've got enough money. Gates is kicked in over a billion. The Department Energy skicked in some more. The site's been selected. It's in Camera, which is in Wyoming, a place that has a uranium mines is actually an old coal mine site that they're using. So it already has the power cables and stuff pulled in and it's already a space. Wow. The challenge with used making liquid sodium reactors is you need a different fuel. It's still uranium, but it's more highly enriched. It's what they call halo HALO fuel for high SA low enriched uranium, high enriched uranium, meaning stuff you use in bombs, normal solid fuel reactors and light water reactors. They the fuel rods about three percent enriched, so it has three percent you two thirty five in it along with mostly you two thirty eight pitch blend. The raw uraniumy dig out of the ground is about zero point seven percent thirty five need more to thirty five because it's the fissionable product, right, It makes everything else work, and so you enrich it to get it up to three percent or up to five percent. Right, And what's the percentage for a bomb, one hundred percent? Okay, So the halou can go up to about nineteen percent. And there's only so much enrichment capability in the world, right, It's part of the challenge. And we talk about enrichment. They talk about this thing called a separative work unit or how much it takes, how much uranium? How much? How many times can you take one hundred kilos uranium and make ten kilos of enriched uranium from it? Okay? That a work unit is that basically measure take a hunred kilos making in ten kilos of five percent enrich the stuff you use in nuclear reactors. The largest sites would be from Russia. Rossotom makes about twenty seven million swus China's got about ten million. Irana, which is a conglomerate of the US, UK, Germany, France, Netherlands makes about seven point five million. Rangco, which is also a conglomerate of the UK US Germany is eighteen million, so the West can make about twenty five million, SWU use Russia to a twenty seven million China ten million. In fact, when it comes to HALU, which is this highly enriched they want to use for natrium, only rostotom makes it right. So one of the challenges with them actually building the reactor side of this thing is you're supposed to buy fuel from Russia. Yeah, so they're kind of going to need to mature HALU production in America if they're actually going to make a go of this. But you know, they've got the money, so they're going in with them. Sure. One more other kind of reactor design being built in the US is a company called x Energy in Texas and they are building a pebble bed reactor. Pebble bed. Yeah, we talked about these two case we did. So this depends on a fuel called Triso. So here's the interesting idea behind a Triso fuel. Instead of building a rod coded in the zircanadum of enriched uranium. And when I build those rods, I have to put them into assemblies that then go inside of a pressurized tank with a big structure around it and so forth, they got to manage the radiation. Right, But the trisop fuel, I make spheres that have granules uranium in them, but the moderator graphite is embedded in the fuel and then it's coated in silicon carbide, so it's essentially indestructible and on its own. You could hold one of these in your hand, right, you won't do anything. But if you get a bunch of them together, they neutron start to paying between them, and they heat up and they get really hot. And when they get too hot, they start to expand and they slow themselves down. The reaction slows down because they get bigger, so they can't burn. They're structurally sound, they're self contained. It's pretty cool, right, it's interesting. They're safe. And so the idea would be you basically have a high temperature hopper that you put a bunch of these in. It gets really hot, You pump helium through that. It superheats the helium. You pump that helium out, flash steam, run a turbine, right, right, I remember this.
Speaker 2: Then the problem with helium is it's hard to manage them, hard to contain and hard to manage.
Speaker 1: Now that's trivial and it's not mature. These spheres eventually age, so you do need to get them out and rotate them and put newines in, so they're sort of rotating through there. Sometimes they jam. There was one case in experimental pebble bed where the casement cracked and they got wedged in there, and that's a problem. The fuel is expensive to make and it's very hard to reprocess. Now the reason X Energy is doing this project is actually working closely with now Chemical because now has a big industrial plant in Texas right beside where they're going to build this reactor, and they want the heat for their industrial process, so not just electricity being generated, but it's a huge byproduct of a lot of heat. And right now the Dow plant they have to burn natural gas to make that heat. So having a reactor that you can take both the heat and the energy off of is interesting. So they're helping to fund a bunch of that. But the Triso fuel needs to be matured. The fuel production is being built in Oakridge, Tennessee, so that's back the same location again.
Speaker 2: So after hearing about all these different types of reactors, I fully remember coming to the same conclusion on all of these nuclear talks that you've done. Yeah, Now, the thorium salt reactor seems to be the favorite. The thorium has all certain benefits supposed to be clear. Light water reactors are the way to go because they're mature. Right, there's sort of a known technology.
Speaker 1: If your goal is to decarbonized power generation by twenty to fifty, knowing it takes at least five years, ten years, maybe as much as ten years to build these reactors, building what you know at scales, so you can actually get them done on time. As the important party researching is research. Reactors are a problem, right because you don't know, you don't know when you're going to be done. You don't know if it's going rite. Like at least you look at those EIGHTP one thousands, they're certified for fifty years. Yeah, right, Like you could get them done and know you have power for quite some time. Right. The salt is worth maturing because it can deal with the waste and it's efficient. Yeah, So that's a research project separate from you dealing with the I need the power and I need it now, right, Okay, I meantime. Now you've got the Microsofts and the Amazons and the Googles all wanted to build these data centers. So Microsoft now licensed three mile Island reactor one. Yep, hearn about that, right, And they're starting to fund more SMR development because the small reactor would actually make sense for data centers. Data centers don't want to giggle out of power. They want a few megawatts, so so Dominion smaller reactors would actually make sense for them.
Speaker 2: So Dominion that owns Millstone Nuclear power plant, which is at the opposite end of my town on the water, they well, a company wants to build a data center adjacent to Millstone. I don't know what it is, but but yeah, and so the local people, I think most of them don't want it, of course.
Speaker 1: But I don't see that as a bad thing. DWE centers an't particularly obnoxious, you know. They right now they want to build more data centers and is power available? Right? The next problem will be water available, because they use a fair about of water to keep data centers cool. So yeah, you know, Nimby is a thing. They do provide jobs. Like there's there's a whole question around whether this makes sense. You just got to press all the details. Don't just say no, make sure you get the things you need to make it make sense. Yeah, but you're right. I've talked about a lot of different techniques. You know, the sodium reactor has the advantage of being a good fuel burner too, much like molten salt. It has more it's been built more times than molten salt reactors have, but also had had way more problems. But that's also you know, it's just they've never found a real nobody's run them for very long except the Russians who don't care about the consequences. So, you know, fluorine salts. Because of the ability of reprocess fuel and you're actually talking about taking the waste products and using them, like turning them into using the product. That's a lot of straight to them, alt attractive to me. There's another tryso reactor in development for the US military. It's a product. It's called Project Pelee Pelea. I think it was a character from Hawaiian mythology. It was like the god of the volcano. Yeah, yeah, volcano god or something. Yeah. Yeah. They got it's the military, So they got the funding. It's a half They got a half a billion dollars to build out a reactor that fits in four twenty foot containers, so shipable. One of those containers would actually be the reactor. The rest is like pumps and generations and all that sort of stuff, using highly enriched fuel triso fuel, which the military is allowed to do so rich to nineteen percent I presume because it's the US military, they're going to figure how to make that fuel themselves and not buy it from the Russians. But it would be a high temperature gas reactor. You think about we talked about this before, the amount of money that the US spent in Afghanistan shipping fuel from Pakistan and a continuous convoy of trucks to burn in generators to operate their bases. Small reactors like this would make a huge difference. I mean, so with space based power, but that would be more than half a billion dollops And so, I mean the upside to the US bringing PLA too into existence is it will make a market for triso fuel, which then opens the door to more pebble by discussions as a reactor design. The fuel already exists, that makes it a little bit easier to deal with. That being said, you know, nineteen percent enriched geranium is got a proliferation risk. It's fine if the military control of it. I don't know if you allow commercial entities to control that fuel, right where five percent really doesn't have the same risks at all. Yeah, all right, a little bit on fusion. You know, I don't spend a lot of time on fusion these days because I've really come to appreciate their research projects. They're a long way away from being real. That being said, my favorite fusion project of them all is Commonwealth Fusion. Okay, that's the one that's the one in Mit that they're trying to build a they're trying to build a Takamat reactor based on reb Co semiconductors. So these are the high temperature cooled liquiditrogen superconductors. They've got enough funding, Like they went real quiet, and I said years ago when they went real quiet, its because they got enough money. They're just trying to build a thing. That's basically what's happened. They've scaled up their factory. They've had eight hundred people working on it. They react to their building. It's called Spark, which is their test reactor. They're supposed to have first plasma in twenty twenty six, so they're well, they're reactor buildings in full assembly right now. There's been a little bit of an update. They're pretty quiet, they don't need to talk, but the destruction and I bring up because this year they also announced the site of their full scale reactor, the ARC Reactor, being in Virginia. Wow. So I think it's a bit speculative. I don't like it when they say, hey, we know we're going to build a full scale reactor before you built the prototype, Like, you don't. You're so confident it's going to work, you're already picking sites. But I think that might be partially a funding thing.
Speaker 2: So are the other ones, like Iter just dead in the water.
Speaker 1: No, they're so iders going along. They've spent enough money out they're going to finish it. But they've also admitted that EIDER is just and you know, that's the NIOBM ten superconductor, so it's only got so much field strength. The REBCO has five times the field strength, which makes it a lot more viasible and smaller. Yeah, they they're hoping to get to a queue of one with Ider or just about so get as much energy out as energy in. But they've already described the fact that that's as far as that's going to go. But it'll give us the education to build the next one.
Speaker 2: Right, And how much money has itear?
Speaker 1: Costs? Sixty billion? Good god? Maybe more? And how many years? Twenty? Wow? But again when you build a containment, when you build the Tacomac in eight pieces in eight countries, like, what did you think was going to happen? Right? This is not about efficiency. This is about a mega project run by governments with international treaties involved. So it's really hard to I just think of other uses for sixty billion dollars. I can think of many. Yeah, well that's that's at least two or three commercial light water reactors and several gigawatts of power that could be working in right now. Yeah, you know, there's a lot of things that can be done with that. So, I mean, I'm excited to see if Commonwealth Fusion gets there. They're getting closer, like the they are well funded, so they're not scrounging for money. That's why I don't hear from so.
Speaker 2: Not this coming year, but maybe the year after that. So in two years when you do the energy geek cut, we might have more to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first light plaster. Now, there are a few other fusion projects going out there, but as I poke at each of them, it's like the same new stories from last year some of them. And then they're maybe they're raising money, but it's like five million dollars. That's enough to keep people paid to put up pr at press releases, not to build things. Yeah, when I see one hundred million dollars going into it company, I was like, okay, you can build things with that. So a lot of these others are now really in stasis. They've got just enough money to keep limping along trying to find a bigger funder to go further. Okay, a few more questions. J Michaud asked about the aid of the art and residential lighting. Now, in some ways, I feel like LED lighting. Everybody's got it now, it's in home depot. It's not a big deal. It's normal put LED lights. And although they're AC based LED, and as you know, and we did a whole several shows on it, there's DC based LED, which is much rarer and more efficient. It is more efficient, it's about it's about thirty, you know, sixty percent more efficient than AC based, but you have fewer products so I found two stacks. Lumin Cash is the one I used in Coquitlam back in the day and sold with the house. And they have a new generation of their product and I would use it again in a second. When we tear this place apart and do upgrades, I will put lumin Cash in. It's been nice. And there's another company called clean Life with their ATX system spin on native led DC lighting is solar because solar naturally comes off at about forty eight bolts DC, and so all both lumin Cash and clean Life now makes systems where you can basically plug your solar directly into your lighting system. So that's interesting. No battery storage, no conversion, you're making DC power. You use it for your lights. That's really interesting.
Speaker 2: So along with the AC cables in your house, if you're building a new house, let's say, or you feel like ripping your walls off, you could have just a whole DC circuit.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, and you know, can't really cause a fire. The power levels too low. A lot less copper, so it'll cost you less. You know, wiring's not cheap these days. Copper costs money, so you know, the the net they come up to about the same price, except the lights never burn out, the dimming is super smooth. They run on battery brilliantly because they're DC natives, so they don't waste as near as much power. Don't eversion or thing. They're just a really efficient way to make client cool. Martina gram our friend and fellow RD always asks me hard questions for the geek outs, and her question this year is how what our energy consumption trends like for country to country, so are we getting better? And the answer, Martina, is that in the Western world, so US, Canada, EU, Australia and New Zealand, you're seeing that power consumption per capita going down, which is good because we have the highest power consumption per capita in the world, but our total consumption per person is decreasing. In the developing world, it is still increasing. That's the nanatary nature of industrialization. China has the most growth. They're still less than US by half, but they are increasing. So when you say US, China as one country is less than the whole West. Their power consumption per capita is half the US is power presumption or the US which is the highest. But all you know, I don't think the spread between the US, Canada, Europe is that large. It's there, but it's not.
Speaker 2: They are burning a lot of coal over there, however, And our coal consumption has gone down, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: And when I say our, I mean cole consumption. China has gone down too. Yeah, it's like everybody's decreasing coal to a degree. Okay, last one, Yeah, from our friend Laurent Laurent Vignon. So he asked me about the land Man Rant land Man is so what is this? Okay? Land Man is a television show and the character involved was played by Billy Bob Thorne, and he went on this huge rant about there's nothing clean about alternative energy, right, you need all these trucks running diesel, and you need lubricants and so forth, like there's nothing clean about it. It's important to remember this is a television show. He was playing a character, and none of my set was actually true. You know. His argument was that it you know, I'm sure you put up a wind turbine, but that you used made more carbon putting that up than it's ever going to save, which is patently untrue. The typical carbon payback, even for all the concrete castings and everything for a wind turbine is less than a year. The larger the turbine, the faster the payback, the big big ones three months so and then after that your net negative on carbon production. And I'm not even accounting for the amount of say, concrete, you would pour to build a coal power plant. Right.
Speaker 2: But it is useful to have fiction like that because it just helps us keep on our toes in terms of you know what is greenwashing versus yes, you know real, you know it. It forces us to do the science, and it was.
Speaker 1: Good to have the real experts come out and show the matheh, Right. But it also I think that Billy Bob Thornton did a really good job of portraying your classically misinformed worker who feels threatened by all these technologies. Right. Sure. The fact that a certain group of the population jumped on it as factuals that everybody should watch this, that's the disturbing part. It was a television show. Television shows aren't real. But it is worthwhile to do the math for the payback in carbon. In fact, when is the fastest payback almost always less than a year. A few months. Commercial solar is one to two years, from a carbon footprint perspective of payback, it does create a certain amount of CO two to make those panels and to put them up and to put them down on the ground is commercial solar, but it does pay back.
Speaker 2: I hate to ask this, like right at the end of the energy geekeout, but is there any hope for replacing your classic jet fuel for flying?
Speaker 1: That's a tough one. You know, aircraft depend on losing the mass of the fuel for their flight distances, and when you carry batteries around, you don't lose any weight, so it's not going to work for batteries. That being set, we are making we are able to produce carbon neutral jet fuel. Well that's interesting. So if I take carbon that's already in the system, like take it out of the atmosphere is carbon dioxide, or take it from algae already in the system and make jet fuel from it, I'm not adding new carbon to the system as opposed to socking it from underground and refining into fuel adding new to the system. The problem is that today those zero carbon fuels are five times the price, right, and so we're going to have long range jet flight because we are starting to see electric and commuter ranges. We're going to see long range jet flight. We're going to have to raise the price and reduce the cost of that fuel and meet it somewhere in the middle to get to carbon neutral in that it's a great question, and it's a it's a common one, but you know, you've got to understand the payload fraction of a large airliner in fuel, right, and airliners get more efficient as to get the higher altube. But they're carrying so much fuel when they start, they can only fly so high. But today to increase efficiency, as they lose weight from burning net fuel, they actually raise their health to increase their efficiency. It's that significant, more than half of the mass of an aircraft when it takes off on all over reason I get that is fuel. Yeah. Is that a show? You know? I feel it. You'd be two hours. Yeah, feel better now that it's out of your brain. Yeah, much better. Thank you, We all do as well. Thank you for sharing, Richard. It's always a pleasure. Awesome. All right, We'll see you next time on dot net Rocks.
Speaker 2: Dot net Rock is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Pop Studios, a full service audio video and post production facility located physically in New London, Connecticut, and of course in the cloud online at pwop dot com.
Speaker 1: Visit our website at d O T N E t R O c k S dot.
Speaker 2: Com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September two thousand and two. And make sure you check out our sponsors. They keep us in business. Now go write some code, See you next time.
Speaker 1: You got javan
Speaker 2: And