Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and is not intended for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised. Madison Small, I mean i'd take off. I mean, if I would have killed her, I would have been gone. You guys have never found me, right, I would never even went back to my apartment.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's I'm glad you go right there.
Speaker 1: This is season thirteen, episode three hundred and fifty six of Sword and Scale, a show that reveals that the worst monsters are real. It's an overcast day in March twenty eighteen. The winter snow is finally giving way as the weather warms. Kevin and Jean Zimmerman sit in their living room with lights, a camera, and a local reporter staring back at them.
Speaker 4: Does time sort of stop for you on that day on April second? Absolutely in two thousand and eight, Like, do you feel like you can you know that it is ten years later?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 6: Oh no, it's quite unbelievable.
Speaker 7: That is ten years already.
Speaker 6: It's, you know, completely unbelievable.
Speaker 1: They've done countless interviews over the years, and they're willing to do thousands more, anything to keep their daughter's case alive.
Speaker 8: How often do you think about that day?
Speaker 7: Every day, every single day.
Speaker 6: We thought it was going to be solved right away. We didn't even consider that this that we'd be here ten years later.
Speaker 1: Three days after this interview would mark ten years since their daughter, Brittany was killed. In that decade, the case had passed through three police chiefs and four lead detectives, years of work, with little to show for it. Only once did they think they were close.
Speaker 8: Why do you think there hasn't been unarrest or even seemingly like a person of interest or a major break in the case.
Speaker 9: I mean that we thought there was.
Speaker 6: You know, it was two and a half years ago. Chief Cobalt came to our door on my husband's birthday and said, we believe we have the person responsible for killing your daughter the summer ninth.
Speaker 1: That moment came in twenty sixteen, but two years later there was still no arrest. All the Zimmerman's could do was hold on to hope.
Speaker 7: That's all we have is hope.
Speaker 10: We can hope.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but.
Speaker 7: Realistically, I'm not really sure that they're ever going to solve this, at least not the way it's being handled right now. I just don't believe it.
Speaker 1: When parents lose a child, they're powerless to do anything but wait. Justice moves on its own timeline, and in the Zimmerman's case, that timeline stretched endlessly. These interviews, these small acts of advocacy, were all they had control over. If speaking publicly could help or speed up catching Brittany's killer, they'd do it every day for the rest of their lives to make that happen.
Speaker 8: What would you really tell people about why they should rack their brains.
Speaker 7: Because if it was your child, you'd want everybody in the world to rack their brains for you.
Speaker 6: Put yourself in our shoes just for a second.
Speaker 7: Just for a second, put yourself in our shoes.
Speaker 12: And what.
Speaker 7: This little girl meant everything to us? And you know she was never there to hurt anybody. She was always there to help people.
Speaker 1: Photos of Brittany still aligned every wall of their home, a family scarred by tragedy, frozen in time, clinging to whatever hope remained, and wondering whether the case would ever be solved. Meanwhile, the police department continued to work on their decade old investigation.
Speaker 13: This is not what I would consider been relegated to a case. This still has active leads that are worthy.
Speaker 1: The Zimmermans knew little about the leads detectives were chasing. They only knew that two years earlier, the police chief had told him they had the guy, but there had been no arrests. They were completely in the dark.
Speaker 13: If I had the probable cause, based on the totality of the evidence I had, don't you think I would have made an arrest.
Speaker 1: It turned out that the chief had spoken too soon. It was one of many missteps in an investigation that had been plagued by setbacks from the start. One of the biggest was losing the longtime lead investigator. The emotional toll of the case eventually became too heavy to bear.
Speaker 14: He was convulsing at one point, and then I was convulsed, and I realized, we can't continue to sign cases this way.
Speaker 1: The chiefs wore that moving forward, a team of investigators would carry the case. He was confident they would solve it eventually.
Speaker 14: The old school cop and me still hopes now that slips will sink ships.
Speaker 13: Someone's going to say something to somebody about this case in.
Speaker 12: A bar or overheard.
Speaker 1: But even if they did, even if the killer was finally behind bars, the Zimmerman's knew it would bring them little comfort. What they wanted most was the one thing that no investigation could return.
Speaker 7: She would be a doctor right now that she wanted to be, and we would be proud of her, and we could go visit her on her animal farm and everything she wanted because she loved animals. That's what we wish, you know, that she could live her life the way she wanted to.
Speaker 1: They had thought the case would be solved quickly by twenty eighteen. They simply hoped it would be solved at all. Their nightmare started on April second, two thousand and eight, when their daughter was attacked inside her apartment in the middle of the day. The mistake started almost immediately. And to understand how this case remained open for a decade, you have to go back to the start.
Speaker 6: Monday will mark ten years as a brutal murder that rocked downtown Madison.
Speaker 5: It's been five years since Britty Zimmerman was killed here on a Jonas Street.
Speaker 1: Friday will mark the two year anniversary of the Madison murder of Brittany Zimmerman. It's April second, two thousand and eight. Jordan Gonnering hops on his moped and heads towards the University of Wisconsin Madison campus. This Beyonce. Brittany is already in class. She had a big test that morning. He rides a short distance to campus from their apartment and joining the sun. It wouldn't feel so cold if it weren't for the wind, he thinks to himself. He gets back to campus at around eleven thirty. He goes out on one of the balconies of the Van Hies Building and scans the quad for Brittany. She turns her phone off in class, but he knows she'll be coming out of the Bacteriology building. Then he spots her. She stands out with her golden hair and the collar of her lime green pea coat pulled up around her neck. He calls her name. She looks around for a moment before looking up to the balcony. A smile spreads across her face when she sees Jordan. He points to his phone and she remembers her phone is off. She turns it on and it rings instantly. Jordan asks her how her parasitology test went. She sighs, but says it went fine. They have a quick conversation just touching base before their dinner plans that night. Finish their phone call, and Jordan starts heading to his Russian literature class, which starts at twelve oh five. After class ends at twelve fifty five, Jordan walks back to his moped and hops on. He weaves through the campus and onto his street. He gets home, parks his bike on the side of the house, and walks to the front door like he always does. Then he stops. The lock on the outside security door is busted. It looks like somebody kicked it in. He can't remember if it was always like this. He stares at it for a moment, thinking, but dismisses it and starts to go inside. He reaches to open the closed door and notices it's unlocked. He thinks that's weird, but he also knows their landlord was supposed to show the apartment that day, so he assumes that's why. He walks in saide and takes off his backpack, his jacket, and his shoes. Usually their three cats would greet him at the door, but today they were nowhere to be found. Jordan takes a few steps towards the back of the small apartment and freezes on the floor in the bedroom. Is Brittany. Just for a second he thinks she's pranking him, But as soon as he inches close, he sees blood. Jordan would call nine one one at one eight pm nine one.
Speaker 15: One with the adders of the emergency. Nine one with the address of the emergency. Hello, nine one one with the EDIR for the emergency.
Speaker 1: His phone barely holds a connection. He manages to give the address on West Doty Street before the call cuts out.
Speaker 9: Class it's what you're cutting out? Can hear me?
Speaker 15: Hello?
Speaker 11: Hello?
Speaker 15: Okay, your phone's cut now? Did you say upper or lower flags?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: The dispatcher tries again. Their voices break in and out, tangled and static?
Speaker 12: Okay, ambulance and needed.
Speaker 9: Okay. What is your name?
Speaker 12: Jordan Garing?
Speaker 15: Okay, come exactly what happened?
Speaker 16: I just came home.
Speaker 12: The door was bumped in and my girlfriend's been shot.
Speaker 9: Okay, stand the phone with me. Okay, are you with her right now? Yes?
Speaker 12: I am?
Speaker 9: How old is she she is?
Speaker 12: Thanks?
Speaker 9: Miss twenty one twenty one? Is she conscious? No, she's not. Is she breathing?
Speaker 17: No, she's not.
Speaker 1: Up to this point in his life, the most serious thing Jordan has faced was final exams. Now he's kneeling beside the woman he planned to marry, trying to save her life. The dispatcher checks to make sure the attacker is no longer there. Oh, while relaying information to officers already in round.
Speaker 5: The color has no idea.
Speaker 9: He just walked in and found his girlfriend like this.
Speaker 5: Color has no idea who would have done it?
Speaker 9: Is there any serious bleeding? Okay? There is serious bleeding? Yes, okay.
Speaker 15: I'm sending an ambulance to help you. I want you to stand the line that needs to incite what to do next.
Speaker 9: Okay, Okay, did you say she is or she is not breathing?
Speaker 12: She's not breathing.
Speaker 9: She's not breathing. Okay, stand the pool. I can tell you how to help her. Okay, you're right by her now, all right. I want you to lay her flat on her back on the ground. Yep.
Speaker 15: Remove any collows.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay.
Speaker 15: I need you to kneel next to her and her mom look in her mouth for any food or vomits.
Speaker 9: Is there anything?
Speaker 12: Is there anything in your blood?
Speaker 9: Just blood?
Speaker 1: Brittany isn't breathing. Her airway is filled with blood, and she has no pulse. The dispatcher talks Jordan through CPR, but she knows it might already be too late, and when Jordan rolls Brittany on her back, he notices something he cannot make sense of.
Speaker 9: Did you think she did this herself?
Speaker 12: No, she couldn't go.
Speaker 15: She couldn't have done it herself. And there's no weapon.
Speaker 12: Nearby, No no shot woo here.
Speaker 9: You're inside with her, you're inside with her, Yes, I am. It might be a stam mood.
Speaker 12: Yes, I'm not sure. There's piercing, there's swall piercing.
Speaker 1: The dispatcher stays with him, guiding him, reassuring him, while also coordinating the incoming police units. She switches between comforting Jordan and delivering updates to officers racing towards the scene.
Speaker 5: The address is five to one seven West Doughty five one seven West Doty Streets. It's apartment number one.
Speaker 9: The lower flat.
Speaker 5: The female is he and B and he's now saying that it could he has a stabbing wound rather than a gunsight.
Speaker 1: Then she has to jump right back into the fray with Jordan.
Speaker 9: Okay, no idea? Who might have done this?
Speaker 12: Jow right, I have no idea I have no idea.
Speaker 15: Okay, with no idea.
Speaker 9: Can you feel or hear any breathing?
Speaker 16: H No, I can't.
Speaker 12: I chucked for a pulse and I can't see anything.
Speaker 15: Okay, okay, just so you know, there's there's an ambulance on the way and the officers are on the way as well.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 1: She tells him help is coming, but in moments like this, seconds stretch into hours. Finally, officers arrive and usher Jordan inside thirty.
Speaker 12: Fourteen hours and are inside.
Speaker 15: The building isn't clear.
Speaker 1: And she sends The police reach the apartment at one ten pm, less than two minutes after dispatch. They check on Jordan, then clear the house room by room upstairs and danced, making sure the attacker is still inside. Only then do they move toward Brittany. It was too late to help her. The officers informed dispatch that the victim was deceased and the call became a homicide investigation. When detectives arrived at the scene, they were confused. There was forced entry, but nothing was stolen. Brittany most likely was working on her computer filing out federal grant forms when someone interrupted her. Her desk was messy with tax documents from the doorway of their bedroom. Detectives saw blood on the bed and the floor. Further checking revealed her cell phone. The battery was missing and it looked like someone had deliberately damaged it. They found it hidden under other garbage in the trash can. Who would want a twenty one year old microbiology student dead?
Speaker 15: And why?
Speaker 1: It was a broad daylight murder with no clear motive, and it would take twelve years for Madison police to uncover the truth. The midday murder of their only daughter had a devastating effect on the Zimmermans. They wouldn't see her graduate or get married. She would never have a career, a family, or a life. The date of her death would replace her birthday for her parents, and they would spend the next twelve telve years fighting for justice for Brittany. Her fiance Jordan, found her lifeless body on their bedroom floor and called nine one one. The police made a mad dash to the crime scene. When it was determined that Brittany was deceased, the investigation started. The entire street from intersection to intersection was cordoned off. Officers secured the scene. They started to make contact with the neighbors and left dash cams running to capture anyone walking in the area. Jordan had just seen her at eleven thirty. What could have happened in the last hour and a half. They hoped whoever killed her was still in the area, so they started canvassing quickly. Dispatch uncovered some investigation that might have been related.
Speaker 9: Police inspire.
Speaker 16: I had been calling to report a suspicious incident that just happened at my house because I thought I should someone just in case something happened.
Speaker 9: What was the incident?
Speaker 16: Some guy walked into my house and was just opened our door and came in and was asking me for money, and he came up our stairs.
Speaker 9: Okay, and one how long ago?
Speaker 16: This is about maybe ten minutes top.
Speaker 1: The caller lived on West Washington Avenue, two blocks away and a straight shot down an alley from Britney's apartment at Dodie Street.
Speaker 9: Okay, and you don't know whose person was, No, I have no idea.
Speaker 16: He said that him and his wife had a flat tire on East Washington ab and that he needed forty dollars to buy a tire. Okay, did he walk into your apartment? Because he walked into our house and came up this Sperry.
Speaker 1: Okay, the possibility that this man with a flat tire could be involved couldn't be overlooked with no idea who killed Britney. Anyone was a possible suspect, especially a middle aged man going from door to door asking for money for unison.
Speaker 5: This channel, this is really just information for you. I don't know if it has anything to do with your call or not. Five to five West Washington Avenue, five to five Westwah or Collar there says that about ten minutes ago, a bleep stranger washed under her house without any permission, answer for money for a plant fire, white male, fifties, gray hair, gray t shirts, red sweatshirt tied around his waist.
Speaker 1: That call would give a new theory on who killed Brittany. While she was an extraordinary person, her life was otherwise rather unremarkable. Aside from her academic achievements, she didn't have enemies wanting revenge or jealous friends. She didn't know anyone money and didn't have any to steal. She hadn't wronged anyone in any serious way. But considering the other nine to one one calls in the area, the idea that the murderer was committed by a stranger at rain them became very likely. Then there was another nine one one call.
Speaker 12: Nine one one was the interesting emergency, Sorry an emergency. I don't know if you can transfer me to a non emergency liner if I should.
Speaker 9: Tell you it's just fine. What's the problem.
Speaker 12: My neighbors directed me across the street. There are some kind of old men I think, drinking from a bag, sitting on the porch and looking in the windows, and I was just worried that there may be a ventilia, burglary or something that among those lines.
Speaker 1: This caller was a college student like Brittany and Jordan. He was waiting for the bus to take him to school when he noticed some suspicious activity.
Speaker 9: How many of how many people were there?
Speaker 12: Just two older men. I figure they're just taking a break or something, but it was the word They were looking at the mailbox or something like that too.
Speaker 1: To be clear, this call was about two other men, not the man with the flat tire begging for money. These two men were sharing a drink from a paper bag while looking through windows and rifling through mailboxes. It was certainly suspicious, and with the early theory that a stranger murdered Brittany. It was even more so. But to understand the obstacles in the investigation into Brittany's death, you have to know about the neighborhood she lived in. She lived on West Dote Street, just off South Bassett Street, in the Bassett neighborhood. Is it Bassett or Bassett? I guess it's the same difference between Boudet and Buddett. Who gives a shit? This area was sometimes called the student Triangle because of the proximity to the university campus only six blocks away. The neighborhood was a mix of students and apartments, families and small houses, and a few long term, low income tenants oh in transient foot traffic. The downtown air had homeless shelters, dropping shelters, and a bus depot with a mix of college students and transients. The area had a high call volume, so the police were there often at the same time. There were roughly fourteen hundred service calls a year, and one third of those were for panhandling and other loitering complaints. So when all the evidence at the scene of the crime pointed to a random person murdering Brittany, the police knew they had a difficult investigation on their hands, but the man with the flats hire entering people's homes and invited was their first possible lead.
Speaker 12: What were the.
Speaker 18: Time frames of when we called and when we had done then called the by one Fellar.
Speaker 5: It was about a five minute last between nicolls, so it checks be about fifteen al together, about fifteen altogether.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that description for second detailers. I want you at check in the area. I want to accompany you to it on the day's tree to check around that area and manage it in a three, four or five block area. Circle the area looking for that party. Once he's done doing that, and that I need Holth to respond down to Masters.
Speaker 1: And Dy's creations and police work coincidences are rare, so the idea of a man walking into someone's home within fifteen minutes of a home invasion and murder set off alarm belts. The police would quickly locate the man with the flat tire. He was known to the department as an active panhandler. David Call would walk around the neighborhood asking people for money at random, with some made up story to illicit sympathy. Turns out this homeless guy had exhausted his entire friends and family list for help. They had all had enough of them and said no thanks, and now society was left to deal with them. By the time they had an official interview, he was already in jail on a probation violation.
Speaker 2: Fifth on WI failure to register because I was homeless at the time, address and borrow money or.
Speaker 3: Falls free Johnsons.
Speaker 19: Okay, all right, and that was good to have to do with the houses downtown.
Speaker 3: That's kind of thing.
Speaker 9: No, that was.
Speaker 3: That was borrowed money from businesses and stuff. Okay, that's him the same thing paying him. Oh okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Cal had a lengthy criminal record, stretching over sixteen years. At this point, he had a couple of counts of manufacturing and delivering a controlled substance in ninety two. In ninety three, he was charged with theft and second degree sexual assault. In two thousand and two, he was charged with possession of THHC. In two thousand and six, he was charged with failure to register as a sex offender. Are you aust yet because it's getting old anyway. A few days after that, he was charged with his fifth ow I or operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. That kills people, you know. But after learning about his history and talking to his parole officer, they didn't see him as a suspect. They saw him as a source for some reason.
Speaker 19: Second, Wisa and I are investigated in a number of different things, okay, and we're not We're not here to jamming up any further than the thing which you already are.
Speaker 15: Okay.
Speaker 3: That's not our that's not our purpose in any life. And with this interview, okay, I already know you know, I know about all the downtown stuff, you know, going to the houses.
Speaker 19: And that kind of thing, as well as like I said, I talk to your pels morning says you've always been decent, you know, with him, and that he didn't expect and he would have any difficulties talking to you today.
Speaker 3: And I don't have any reason to believe you know that you're involved than anything. Right now, I think that maybe you might be a witness to some things that you can help us out with.
Speaker 1: David Call shifted in a seat with a blank expression. He was forty two, but his white stubble beard and quickly graying hair made him look older than he was. His receding hairline didn't help matters either. He was of average height, but a little on the thin side. He grew up on his parents dairy farm and considered himself a farmer, but he never graduated high school, and since nineteen ninety two, when he was twenty six, he'd been in trouble with the law and spent several stints in prison. It didn't sound like he was much of a farmer, but he was a perfect informant.
Speaker 19: What I'd like to do, if it's okay with you, just use some photographs and you tell me if you know these people and how you know them. About that, okay, we're talking about we're talking about the people that were doing you know, we're all in the street like you were, you know, maybe with some scams, maybe going into houses and things like that.
Speaker 1: Over the course of time, he looked at each picture the officers showed him. They were all people who frequented the area around Brittany's home. Some he recognized but didn't know or couldn't place. Most he didn't know at all.
Speaker 3: Next quarographing number nine zero zero.
Speaker 19: Nine six again, nine zero zero six ninety six.
Speaker 3: That's don I know I heard, Yeah, where did you where?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 3: Don from All was walking around the other day, right when when the police contacted you, or before before the police attacked you. Okay, where he probably from? Mike eleven? Tell about three o'clock I was.
Speaker 1: Finally he recognized some He said that the day Brittany was murdered, he was with a woman named Down. Together, they teamed up and started going door to door asking for money. The police had already talked to Don, but she couldn't or wouldn't cooperate, which was fine because police were more interested in the other two men they crossed paths with that day.
Speaker 3: Can you describe me a couple of guys that were with her? Those were supposedly Mitchell or Michael and then Hank.
Speaker 19: So Mitchell or Michael and Hank, and those are the guys that gave him the scription. Okay, Yeah, can you just in one more time for us? Can you describe Mitchell or Michael for us?
Speaker 2: Mitchell has long gone hair, ponytail is tied back, He's got a scot.
Speaker 3: On her right cheek, and Kurt Douglass dimple right here.
Speaker 19: Okay, And so then can you describe Hank to us? Hank is black Okay, short, real short.
Speaker 2: Curly hairs either. Guy, Like, it's not even like an afrom me. It's you know, short and curly, but it's like spaces in between it.
Speaker 3: Okay. I think it's all Finnan or brilliant. Okay.
Speaker 1: The reason they were so interested in these two men was that while calls m O was to ask for money for a flat tire, they had other methods.
Speaker 3: Those guys, I'm for open windows, climbing too, and stuff like that. It's like in an alley they're walking between two houses of their windows open and behind them as they're kind of scam okay, so just looking for open windows, open.
Speaker 2: Windows, knocking on doors and I don't know what there Also was mine was, like I say, for a flat tire. But I remember earlier that day, me and Don walked on.
Speaker 3: You know, it was door here the street over there was like two.
Speaker 2: Different girls down there, and I remember her telling them guys because I got my forty.
Speaker 3: Dollars either girl, but the girl had a lot of money. And I remember she's telling them, guys such and such dress down there.
Speaker 9: They got more.
Speaker 1: Remember, Carl said. The other two men were in the habit of burgling people. They would knock on the door and if no one answered, look for open windows. Once inside, they would steal everything worth money, laptops, cameras, cash, anything. The police started to wonder if these two men entered Brittany's home without realizing she was inside, and then the worst happened.
Speaker 2: Don told him on the guys and right away, let's go back and rob I ain't in and rob nobody else and scamming. I mean, they wanted to go back to rob somebo. I was like, I ain't in that ship there. You Don's like, man, she had like two three hundred dollars more.
Speaker 3: You know, let mean, let's try to do this.
Speaker 2: But I know when I left, the dumb guys you're gonna go back down and see if they can get some money. Okay, well that's when I knew I better hear it because they were being stupid to go back in the same.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he was incredibly forthcoming, sharing everything he did and everywhere he went that day. He even openly admitted to any petty crimes he committed.
Speaker 3: Now I'm being charged to this, No, not not the things that we're talking about here today.
Speaker 19: Okay, what I'm trying to do is place you in particular locations at particular times and trying to help your memory so that we can try to find out who was in certain areas in that downtown area at different times. Okay, No, I'm not like I said, I didn't come here to data, you know.
Speaker 3: To hanging out with that.
Speaker 19: And certainly you've never done anything in a violent way and said to these people, there's no evidence of that whatsoever. And that's what that's sort of why we're here talking to you today, because we know that violence is not your Violence isn't your way to go ahead and get money. You're being successful enough on your own.
Speaker 1: Carl had an easy going demeanor with detectives. He was extremely polite, and even all the people he panhandled from described them as such. He reviewed all the pictures the police provided and helped create a timeline of his movements that day to determine where other transients were.
Speaker 19: And when you know you've been honest, honest with us here today, I mean you're certainly not you're certainly.
Speaker 3: Not not a suspect in any of those cases.
Speaker 19: Well, we'll we'll try to drum up Mitchell and Hank and if you hear anything in here when you get back into population, about other people that might know them or whatever, and you could give us give us a sip on that.
Speaker 1: The interview ended with Call providing a buckle swap for DNA testing. The detectives left with a new direction, finding Mitchell or Mark the man with the ponytail, and the Kurt Douglas dimple and Hank the black guy with thinning hair. They would search for months with no luck. If these guys were responsible, they were lying low. April faded and May turned into June before detectives realized it was July. In September, when there was still no arrest, Brittany's mother even used money set aside for her wedding in Hawaii to help fund a reward. During that time, a crime lab was processing DNA from the scene. Now, this is two thousand and eight, when DNA testing wasn't as advanced as it is today. The samples taken from Brittany's crime scene were mixed, meaning they included two or more DNA profiles. Even so, they quickly found a match. The bad news was that it matched a DNA profile from an unsolved burglary at the Blue Moon Bar and Grill back in June. A link to another unsolved crime didn't help, and it only made the theory of a transient stranger committing the murder even stronger. So they went back to talk to Call again.
Speaker 20: Nothing has changed to I can't be I can't be more explicit with you, Okay, We're we are not considering any other charges against you, no matter what you'd tell me, tell me and Sam today in this interview.
Speaker 3: Regarding the personal stuff about what you were doing, you don't care about that, okay. Our focus is who killed Britney.
Speaker 9: I thought she caught again that was on that Marina one. The guy that was I'm sure that got killed.
Speaker 2: Like in January, we did catch somebody was saying something on the news or something already caught.
Speaker 9: The guy or something that guy this is the girl and I thought they had DNA.
Speaker 3: Too, or something on a knife or something that was from the marine O case. The guy they got killed back in January, a couple of months before the.
Speaker 2: One we're working out, okay, because they said they also fall on DNA or whatever and supposedly arrested somebody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was curt in the cases.
Speaker 1: Carl seemed even more eager to talk with detectives than last time. He casually talked about the case, even cracking jokes. He'd been in jail for a few months by now. He we had plenty of time to think about that day to remember.
Speaker 3: You were the bid contains.
Speaker 20: Do you remember, with help me telling you, Marty, do you remember seeing the house that when you lived in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, on TV at some point earlier that day or any of the time that he knocked at that door.
Speaker 20: I have no idea, Okay, no recolection because I was bouncing from the street to street, house to house. Do you remember how many houses on her street that day day you might have made contact, probably almost all of them out of all of them, do you have any recollection how many you might have had people hold that came to the door when you knocked or ran.
Speaker 3: There wasn't a whole lot of people home.
Speaker 1: The conversation turned to Hank and the other guy. Detectives brought in a new set of photos to see if Carl recognized any of them. He didn't. Then the conversation turned to Dawn.
Speaker 3: Is she an't help at all?
Speaker 9: I mean, it's dizzy, I know that, but I mean, what can we use it against her to get her to be more corporate.
Speaker 3: If she wasn't, I don't know anything that you have to have something charges or something on the car. There's no chance that hank him into learn that book.
Speaker 2: No, No, I know their faces yet. Sure I tell you because I'd rather have you talk to him. That they did do so much that, Like I say, they did mention about Robin a few people at night.
Speaker 1: Point strangely engaged Paul was asking more questions than the detectives.
Speaker 9: Was she raped at all?
Speaker 3: I can't tell you that I want to. I just wondered any instincts on that, and I just was wondering if she was raped or not. Just something we can't think about. But you understand, we keep a lot, try to keep a lot of information.
Speaker 2: Because I figured that's another reason why they picked me up too, because I had a sexual assault.
Speaker 3: Do you guys have anything at all?
Speaker 20: I mean, yeah, we've got.
Speaker 3: A bunch of stuff working and every day new stuff comes in.
Speaker 21: But still.
Speaker 3: Do you think it was Hank?
Speaker 9: And until we can find them and talk to them, you can't eliminatum.
Speaker 3: So that's what we need to find out where they are.
Speaker 2: If you can the almost people on the sketches identified them and so that they've seen them, because I mean, if I coummated a murder, I sure get out of Madison, Madison small. I mean I wouldn't want to stick around to Madison. Yeah, I mean I'd take off. I mean, if I would have killed her, I would have been gone. You guys have never found me, right, I ever went back to my barment.
Speaker 3: I mean that's glad to right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: While the police continued their search for the two mystery men, the public wanted answers. They needed to know that they were safe in their own homes. That's when the public backlash started. The news media started requesting public records, but when the requests were fulfilled, some records were withheld, others delayed, and most were redacted. The news media smelled something fishy and pushed back, requesting more and more records. They requested nine to one one call logs, dispatch records, audio recordings, dispatcher notes, and even internal reviews or audits related to the nine to one one call center. When that too, failed, they filed suit.
Speaker 22: There were substantial revelations that brought into the public domain as a result of this lawsuit.
Speaker 1: The public was in fear and suddenly realized the police were withholding things from them. What revelations were made public, you might be asking, well settling. The lawsuit forced the city to release another nine one one.
Speaker 22: Call, including the fact that the tape did contain sounds of a struggle and screen.
Speaker 1: The nine when one call had been marked as incomplete or misdialed. In other words, the operator didn't hear anyone on the line, but the call in question came from Brittany's home one.
Speaker 9: What's the address to the emergency?
Speaker 23: Hello?
Speaker 9: Nine one one.
Speaker 1: The police were aware of this very early on, but didn't inform the public. They said the state of the phone systems at the E nine to one one center made it so that the operator did not hear the screen. It was only after they pulled the recording that they noticed in the recording it was clearly a woman screaming. Then they heard what sounded like someone saying stop, along with the sounds of what could only be an assault. Then the line disconnected per protocol. The operator called the number back.
Speaker 9: Hello, hiding coming in one one calling your phone? Called up? Were you just using the phone?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Okayne?
Speaker 12: Oh we might have read that's a red button.
Speaker 15: Yeah yeah, okay, all right, we just.
Speaker 9: Had to check in.
Speaker 15: Yeah, okay, thanks.
Speaker 1: But this forced transparency caused outrage. Not only were two men on the recording, but Brittany called nine one one nearly an hour before her fiancee, Jordan Founder. This revelation would lead to the Zimmermans filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the city in two thousand and nine. They would settle the suit the following year and put all the money towards a scholarship fund in Brittany's name. They said it wasn't about the money, it was about not letting this happen to any one else. The E nine one one Center would undergo many equipment upgrades and dispatcher training, a lot of covering your ass after the damage is done. But while the police were dodging the public outrage, they received an anonymous letter in late two thousand and nine. The letter was from the Fox Lake Correctional Facility. It claimed an inmate with the initials of f R and his friends killed Brittany. The detectives investigated this anonymous tip, but nothing came out of it. Around this time, the case also lost its first lead detective who transferred out of the department. With his departure, the next detective would have to start all over again. The new detective revisited all the evidence, including the DNA. They resubmitted the samples, and they reprocessed them. By twenty eleven, the mixed samples were degraded, but the technology had improved. When they got the results back, they knew they needed to speak with David call yet again.
Speaker 9: You were going door to door.
Speaker 24: In Brittany's neighborhood that day, right, yeah, okay, me and Don and then other guys.
Speaker 3: Other guys meaning these two guys were talking about. Okay, the something that is I mentioned you some evidence that came up.
Speaker 20: As you can.
Speaker 3: Imagine the house we had the crimeline process, everything.
Speaker 20: DNA was developed, some things that Brittany had at the time she was killed.
Speaker 3: And that's the main reason detect Lukin I.
Speaker 15: Wanted to sit on and talk to you today.
Speaker 2: That DNA is consistent with.
Speaker 9: Your DNA.
Speaker 3: And that was just developed recently. Can you explain why your DNA would be on in our house even id no.
Speaker 2: Idea unless it was one of the houses that we were breaking into that day.
Speaker 20: How many houses did you break into well, I mean.
Speaker 2: Them guys like I see we go in there, we break in, you know, I'll go through stuff, ving jury laptops.
Speaker 16: Okay.
Speaker 1: While Call's story had been consistent for years, this time he revealed more. He had been with two other men helping him burgle homes for items to sell. He offered this up as a possible explanation to how his DNA could have even ended up at Brittany's house.
Speaker 16: The DNA that we have.
Speaker 20: Could not have gotten there by you being in simply her apartments.
Speaker 9: It would have been it's there.
Speaker 15: Because he touched her, she touched you.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what I'm saying to you. Well, am I being charge with anything yet?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 15: So absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Why I mean.
Speaker 15: I don't know what's the stadium.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know I cooperated all the way to those you guys. Yeah, and we appreciate that, and that's why that's why we have you.
Speaker 16: To come back.
Speaker 3: No, you say you got being a from me, I mean.
Speaker 15: We're trying to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so I best talked to the lawyer.
Speaker 19: I mean when you approached me, So the only way to get there is if I touched her or something.
Speaker 3: So that's pretty fucked up right there. I mean, whether I ship.
Speaker 2: Her hand that day, Like I say, I remember her now because of the pictures in the faces, you.
Speaker 9: Know what I mean, and then being on the news.
Speaker 25: But at that day when everything happened, I remember that was fun of the people that obed.
Speaker 1: He said, maybe he did ask Brittany for money that day, but he didn't recall it. If he did, maybe he shook her hand or gave her a hug. But after that he thought it wise to consult a lawyer. The reason he wasn't being charged then in there is that police were hoping for a confession. The reprocessing of DNA didn't provide a match. Call wasn't a perfect match, but he couldn't be excluded either. Remember DNA samples were mixed and degraded. This is the best the lab could do. The District attorney's office wouldn't prosecute with so little evidence without a confession and call lawyering up. The case started to stall. The next year, in twenty twelve, another detective took over the case. It continued to drift. In twenty fourteen, the department got a new chief. With the regime change, the department underwent restructuring twenty fifteen provided no new leads either. Then in twenty sixteen, a tip came in. A man named Skulls said that Call confessed to him while in prison.
Speaker 23: Together.
Speaker 1: This would have cinched the conviction, except that Skulls was leveraging this information to obtain a pardon. Jail house snitches with a motive are rarely credible. This claim wasn't immediately considered a reliable lead. It got stuck in internal administrative channels before ever going to detectives. That same year, the new detective met with Call. The interview lasted only two and a half minutes before he politely shut it down.
Speaker 24: Day would be having a conversation with you.
Speaker 3: We are now here for any reason that you.
Speaker 24: Are currently here, but fortunately so we have to make sure you understand that you have rights. Okay, I know you had your right spread to you in the past. You know how many times you had your right threads to you in the past, and you had your right spread to you in the basket She's.
Speaker 1: Done at the Sinner ran a few times is an understatement. Carl had spent the eight years since the death of Brittany in and out of jail for various charges. He knew the routine and with the lingering fear of DNA and now the claim by Skulls call, wasn't willing to cooperate having these.
Speaker 24: Rights in mind, you wish to talk to us now rather than not.
Speaker 3: But I'm Frey advised me not too.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's up here a week or two ago, and said, don't talk anymore.
Speaker 15: Okay, So there you go.
Speaker 2: I've been cooperating, like I say, said the Geregle, just the ball that reviews and runner.
Speaker 10: And then he asked me why and all Andrew's bold and I sent the letter.
Speaker 15: I think it was.
Speaker 3: Detective Miller with Andrew sposed to call me a.
Speaker 2: Rat and throwing him out of the boss why he was gonna.
Speaker 25: Try to make a deal with you guys or something? Football play so I whatever, I have a name talent. He said, you just gotta pan on somebody and anybody that you can get you to FID.
Speaker 3: So I'm done operating. Well, we are only englished in the truth. I'll say that not to you, but in general.
Speaker 20: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: If you're right, okay, thank you very much, yep, thank you.
Speaker 1: Another attempt at getting a confession from a man who consistently claimed he wasn't involved. They always polite call chose to remain silent. Twenty sixteen would have in twenty seventeen would start with the new year came yet another new detective. A full review of the case started yet again. But before the claims of Andrew's skulls could be vetted or verified, he died in a motorcycle accident. By the time anyone considered the tip a viable lead, he was already gone. This brought investigators to the tenth anniversary of Brittany's death in twenty eighteen. Her family was still waiting for answers. After ten years, the community had largely moved on. The case had survived longer than the people assigned to it. What no one realized yet was that the piece of evidence that would finally break the case had been sitting in a storage locker for nearly a decade. For years, police had DNA, but not the kind that gives answers. The samples from Britney's apartment were mixed or DNA was everywhere. Whatever the attacker left behind was tangled up with it. The testing could only rule people out, but it couldn't point to exactly one person, David call could not be excluded, It could not be charged either. As the years passed and technology improved to actives kept trying, the results stayed the same. Too much doubt, not enough proof, hell of a system. Until one day in twenty twenty, something finally changed. But before moving forward, police returned to the one man they had never been able to rule out. David Kall, How much do you know about Britney?
Speaker 3: Not anything she said she was murdered.
Speaker 10: She was a college kid, she loved animals, and she wanted to go to med school was her major. She was a little with the guys she was engaged to. And I'm not trying to pull out her heart strengths here. And it's just not explaining to you why this is a serious case that the massive police department in our office is kept looking at.
Speaker 11: For fourty years.
Speaker 10: Your story, you know, over time is different, okay, And I think I don't know how much you remember of different times you've said things, and it's changed a.
Speaker 3: Little bit today, coun times I was drum right, and I get that, ye, and your DNA does.
Speaker 10: Based on how today's science books is telling us that it's very likely that it's your DNA on Britney's sleeves, as well as especially your genes.
Speaker 1: Okay, it had been twelve years since Britney's murder, and Carl had aged quite a bit. He was now fifty three years old and looked every bit of it. He had gained weight, and what little hair he had left was even more gray. But he had been confronted with DNA evidence before, so he remained calm as he heard the detective out, do.
Speaker 3: You know more about would happen to her?
Speaker 10: And what you're worried about is that you're the person all the evidence points out, but you still.
Speaker 3: Aren't the most cultorable person the drums would actually happened to her.
Speaker 10: We're just trying to figure out if there are other people involved. Is there anything else you can think of that you can tell us, or something that you haven't want to talk about that you feel some important that we know about what happened, not just for Britney's sake, but for your own sake in terms of I was there something happened, but I'm not the person who strangled her and stamped her, you know, and she basically died a really miserable death.
Speaker 1: Detective Nail reminded Call that he had previously admitted he was involved in burglaries that day. Call said he didn't remember that at all. Twelve years is a long time to remember every detail of a story, he gave, especially when it's just a story and not something that actually happened.
Speaker 26: If you guys had entered this place and maybe she came home and found you, or you guys surprised her, again, I need to I mean, that's what I need to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't in there, old money from her.
Speaker 3: I used their bathroom. I believe I had a glass of water, and then I left.
Speaker 26: You do remember being in Britney's place?
Speaker 14: Then?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Suddenly, for the first time, he remembered being in Britney's apartment. He even remembered specific details about using the bathroom and drinking a glass of water. Where was all this recollection all these years ago?
Speaker 3: Well, was that you getting a glass of water and using the bathroom? I'm not sure. I'm not sure how that gets your DNA on her hants.
Speaker 1: Even with flaws in his claims, pointed out, Call stuck to it he wasn't involved in Britney's death, but the evidence said otherwise. After all these years, the detectives just wanted to put the Zimmerman's mind at ease.
Speaker 3: David, I gotta say, I'm sorry, but do you love your mom?
Speaker 19: That Brittany has a mom out there who loved her so much, and she deserves to know even just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of what you can tell us.
Speaker 1: The detective told him they believed they had enough evidence to implicate him, but they wanted to know whether anyone else was involved. Call, though never cracked. He stuck to his newest version of events. He never confessed to anything.
Speaker 27: On April tewod two thousand and eight, almost twelve years ago, Britney Zimmerman was killed in her downtown Madison apartment. Today I can announce that criminal chargers have been filed in her death.
Speaker 9: David Call, a.
Speaker 27: Fifty three year old male, has been charged in Dane County Circuit Court with first degree intentional homicide, as a party to a crime, and with a dangerous weapon. In the years that have passed, her case never went cold and was never anything but a priority for MPD investigated work tirelessly over the years, following leads, conducting hundreds of interviews, processing countless pieces of evidence, and producing thousands of pages of police reports. Britney's parents, Kevin and Jean, have remained heavily invested in the case over the years. They've met regularly with MPD investigators and MPD leadership. They're asking for privacy during this difficult time. Call is currently incarcerated in the Wisconsin prison system on unrelated charges. At some point he'll be transported to Dane County for proceedings in connection with this case. This was truly a senseless crime, taking the life of a young woman with a bright future. Nothing we do can change that. But my hope is that what happens today will be a significant step in the process.
Speaker 9: To do justice for Brittany and for her family.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Finally, David Call was charged with first degree murder intentional homicide. When Detective Nail took over Brittany Zimmerman's case in twenty seventeen, he didn't start with suspects. He started with boxes, evidence bags, old reports, things that hadn't been touched in years. He didn't just review it, he reevaluated it. That's when he saw it. The anonymous letter from two thousand and nine implicating an inmate by the initials f R. The contents of the letter had been deemed unreliable and it was filed away in a box, but Detective Nail was thorough and sent the letter and its envelope for DNA testing. The test results proved that the letter had been penned, licked, and sealed by David Kall. The DNA on Brittany and in her apartment wasn't a perfect match, but the DNA on the envelope was, without a doubt a match. The Zimmermans were beside themselves with relief and the odd sense that the emotions they had been dealing with for over a decade would soon be gone.
Speaker 28: And along with my parents have become emotionally comm scarred and numb. My family have been waiting twelve years, eight months in one day or this decaided for us to be able to see this individual.
Speaker 1: During Kaul's arraignment, he stood silent and a not guilty plea was entered on his behalf, But two years later, in twenty twenty two, he would agree to a plea deal and plead guilty to.
Speaker 21: Count one first degree intentional homicide.
Speaker 9: What is your plea guilty your honor are you Are you.
Speaker 21: Cleading guilty because you did intentionally cause the death of Britney Zimmermann.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are call admitted he killed Brittany. He saw her getting home from school and followed her breaking into her apartment. He likely gave the usual spiel about needing money for a flat tire.
Speaker 11: You know the.
Speaker 1: Excuses you hear just outside Panera bread from the homeless man who you're going to sign a Disney like storyline to. Whereas he's closer to a virus, a plague on society, something that rots it from within. But you do you, and you can be as generous as you like with your spare change. His family wasn't, his friends aren't if he has any. But you can go ahead and think the best and and over a couple quarters, go right ahead and enjoy. Brittany didn't fall for it, though, She refused to give him any money and started to call nine to one one. That's when he snapped and attacked her. She fought back. Furniture was knocked around in the struggle, so he wrapped his sweatshirt around her neck and pulled it tight. He got up on top of her and stabbed her nineteen times in the chest. Then he fled and spent the next fourteen years pretending it never happened. Homeless people don't get homeless by accident. You know, It's rarely ever the sob story you hear on publicly supported airwaves. Anyway, During the sentencing, Brittany's aunt addressed the.
Speaker 23: Court, we as a family have nothing but pain, We have nothing but daily reminders, and we've had nothing but torture for fourteen and a half years while he did his soul searching to decide to come clean. I think it takes a lot of audacity for someone in custody to request a transfer from the county jail to the state prison because he thinks he will get better medical care after he has stripped my family of an incredibly loved, an amazing human who wanted to do nothing but good things in this world.
Speaker 1: Then David Call addressed the court and the family with an apology that was anything but sincere.
Speaker 2: I would like to apologize to everybody, specially Roman families. I took away Brittany's twenty one year old life.
Speaker 3: Family that she could have had.
Speaker 9: I just feel horrible.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 9: I was just I feel horrible, and I make scept some halishments coma.
Speaker 1: The apology fell short of giving the Zimmermans any comfort. David Call just seemed like an old man at the end of a rope. At the time, Call was seriously ill, his years of hard living had finally caught up with him. His plea agreement seemed to be more self serving than anything else. In prison, he would get better medical care, being the parasite he was.
Speaker 17: You did finally take responsibility for you did, and you did plead guilty, and as I say that, you did spare her family and friends.
Speaker 9: The agony is going.
Speaker 21: Through a public trial, but it does not negate the years of your off uscation.
Speaker 9: And obstruction regarding the investigation.
Speaker 21: In this case, there is such a sense of us and sadness and pain there, and the weed of almost fifteen years to get to this moment was excruciating.
Speaker 9: It just was excruciating.
Speaker 21: So many lives have been tragically altered by your actions, mister Call. I do conclude, mister Call, that you must be removed from society for the rest of your life. The magnitude of your crime demands it, your character demands it, and the protection of the public demands it.
Speaker 17: It is the just and right thing to do.
Speaker 1: David Call was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of release. After sentencing, the Zimmerman family held a press conference.
Speaker 11: We knew in between basically that he was going, that he had asked to stay there forever. Our thoughts on that were it was self serving. As Kim had said, he only did it so that his family and his mother specifically would not have to hear the gruesome details of what he did to our daughter. That is our belief. I guess I can't talk for him, but that is my belief and why he did what he did. I don't think he, you know, had a come to Jesus moment. Why he confessed all of a sudden fourteen and a half year later and he had to get it off his chest. I think he was scared to death. He knew, like you know, it was said, the walls were closing in. He had no choice.
Speaker 1: After years of suffering and wondering if their daughter's killer would ever be brought to justice, the Zimmermans could finally relax, but in Brittany's death, they found their voice, a voice to fight against injustice.
Speaker 4: What he did was.
Speaker 11: Unspeakable and to not have the person responsible for that hind mars it was unacceptable to us. So we were willing and we did whatever we had to do. Our family has been our number one supporters. I mean, my sister's been it every single solitary thing with us.
Speaker 23: She is our speaker. This was every step the loss from to the nine one one center, etc. It was never about money. It was about doing the right thing for everyone else. So it was to make sure that there wasn't another parent who was going to lose their.
Speaker 11: Child to a dropped call.
Speaker 23: It was it was always about trying to do the right thing, which was what Forney's entire life was about, was doing the right thing. And that's in part what is so heartbreaking about the events of her murder is that she did everything right and that wasn't met by people doing the right thing for her. And so that's been it's been the irony.
Speaker 11: And the heartbreak of all of it.
Speaker 1: Justice didn't give the Zimmermans their daughter back. It didn't give them the years they spent waiting or the milestones they'll never get to see. What it did give them was an ending and the knowledge that they never stopped doing the right thing. Over the years, that choice has cost them more than time. Britney's mother used the money that had been set aside for her wedding to help fund the reward for information about her killer. They gave interviews, They relived the worst day of their lives over and over again and again. They refuse to let the case and Britney's voice go quiet. And because of cases like Brittany, something did change. Wisconsin law was updated to expand the circumstances under which DNA is collected from people in the criminal justice system, a shift to prevent evidence from sitting in limbo, as it did in this case. It didn't come soon enough for Brittany, but it may mean answers come sooner for someone else. And isn't that all we can do on this rock, on this spin around the sun, Just make it slightly better for the next person. If you're homeless, you may not give a fuck, But if you care about the future of this thing we are humanity, then you might want to do just that. That's gonna do it for another episode of Sword and Scale. Thank you for joining us. If you have a technical issue, you can reach us at Support at swordinscale dot com and UH, if you have a complaint about our content and what I say, you can send that to our complaints department and your local trash bin. Otherwise, UH, you can find everything else you'll want on our website and app. Go to swordscale dot com for more info and we'll see you next week. Why don't you go ahead stay safe until that.
Speaker 15: Hoping people scouting about abating textu