Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alva not so fast cohole breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 4: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 1: And Rick Dolly wall I had a cherry tree a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on news.
Speaker 2: Cherry years Donnie and Dolly ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver.
Speaker 4: We're the Paul Carson Studio banks for tuning in, folks, It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor along with Rick Dolliwall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls, our director, the voice of God. Fan of Hummus, Derek Wan. The preparation for this show.
Speaker 1: All you guys talked about for an hour is hummus.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say the preparation for this show is at an all time low. We'll pick it up over the next two hours.
Speaker 1: I guarantee.
Speaker 4: So Carolina over Vegas last night five to three. Man, that's the Stanley Cup Final. Has been some kind of entertaining series now tied at two, and I think part of it is because we didn't expect much and it's been so good.
Speaker 1: Another comeback last night.
Speaker 4: Now Vegas didn't win, they came back from being down two nothing.
Speaker 1: Three to one.
Speaker 4: But you know, years past I might have turned the channel whatever the case may be. You would have turned to Beverly Hillbillys or the Brady Bunch. But you know what is islond. You just knew that they were going to come back given what we've seen in the first three game. Sure enough they did, but Carolina manages to win and even up the series. We'll talk more about that Stanley Cup Final as the two hours go on. Some really interesting stories of Brandon Bussy and Jordan Stall and what's happening Freddy Anderson, So we'll dive into those stories a little bit later, along with other stories. But Vancouver Canucks, yes, okay, there are things happening with the Vancouver Canucks. Nothing official, but we know there are vacancies in Abbotsford. Who's going to be the GM, who's going to be the head coach, and out of nowhere a name is popped up from the from his old Alberta Junior.
Speaker 1: Hockey League days with the Brooks Bandits.
Speaker 4: We're talking about a possibility, a possible Abbotsford head coach here.
Speaker 1: Well, one good young up and coming coach is Ryan Popiano. A couple of people told me the Canucks have interest in Popiano looking into it. Longtime coach with the Brooks Bandits, last year coach Wheeling of the East, Coach Hockey League, nine Alberta Junior Hockey League titles, well respected Popiano. Donny has got a long track record of developing elite players, helping them reach the potential. Cal mccarr Klee McCarry coach for two years in Brooks I think in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen, so Cale McCary coach. Not sure what role in Vancouver. I just I was in Vancouver and Atavisford. I was just told, you know, the Canucks have interest there to keep an eye on them, so we'll do that. But this is the type of young coach. What has he done? I think he's forty two. It's fine. He left Brooks to go to Wheeling. Pittsburgh Penguins hired him by the way to go to Wheeling.
Speaker 4: But he's there Wheeling their East Coast Hockey League associated team.
Speaker 1: And Ryan Johnson is so good at knowing every single body in the American League and the East Coast Hockey League because the Canucks have an East Coast Hockey League affiliate as well. So to talk to some people this morning, they're not surprised. He's on the radar for teams. A very good young coach. So we'll keep an eye on that, okay.
Speaker 4: And as far as other coaches go, Uh, the name Jim Hiller has popped up former let go by. The Kings recently Edmond as their head coach BC boy, And is his name being thrown around in.
Speaker 1: Vonton or in Evonton And he's coached chili Wac in the in the Western Hockey League. Done remember when they came into the Western the Bruins, Yeah, Chilliwack Bruins. Yeah, that's right. He was their first ever coach. So you know what his name's out there. There's a lot of BC connections. We know the Canucks during the GM search interviewed a lot of guys with BC connections. I I I like that. I remember h the interviewed Jeff Tambalini and a whole bunch of other guys with BC connections. So we'll see if if Hiller would be on their radar for.
Speaker 4: A possible Jeff Tamblin, who was out there as as a possible GM as a gym. Yeah, okay, so okay.
Speaker 1: Let's let's get back to the abbots for coaching situation. What about Jessica Campbell who recently left the Kracken organization down in Seattle. I I still Elliott dropped her name about a week ago affiliated with Vancouver. I heard it again this morning, still popping around. But is it for Vancouver Orrabersburg. I don't know, so we'll monitor that. But Jessica Campbell, who was in Seattle uh and then left the Kraken Elliott Freeman mentioned her name connected to Vancouver a week ago. I'm still hearing that name connected to the Canucks. But time will tell. We'll see if that goes anywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so some names we haven't heard of being thrown around here. But the Ryan Popiano is interesting. You know, a friend of a friend of mine who I graduated with back in the day. His kid Austin Plevi.
Speaker 1: Langley Clip.
Speaker 4: I remember as played with the Brooks Band, has led them and scrolling at least one season, a couple of seasons. And remember him playing for Ryan Papaiano, so very well respected former goaltender in the Western Hockey League with Lethbridge. And I think he played with Seattle as well.
Speaker 1: The name to keep an eye on. We'll do that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dale Tallon. We talked about him the last couple of days. He was a consultant under Jim Ruthiford. We didn't see him much. We didn't hear from him much. We understand that he's left the Cannucks.
Speaker 1: He is gone, but he was. He's left the Canucks organization again.
Speaker 4: Remember he was with him as a player, first ever draft pick.
Speaker 1: Look it up, kids, nineteen seventy. You and I remember Dale seventies. He was a Jim Rutherford higher. His contract was up. He's been a scout and a senior advisor since twenty twenty two. He's gone, so he's not going to be renewed. One thing I want to say to you, don Lots of rumors that Patrick Elvin's gonna end up in Seattle. If he does end up in Seattle, and I hear it's getting cold as what. So this is what I want to tell you. I wonder if he gets like a vice president position in Seattle, so that that'll be something to monitor for Patrick Elvin. He's got the relationship with the Seattle GM there Jason Bottrell, which we through Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: They were together, so they're going to go down the Pittsburgh rou Papiano has a Pittsburgh connection as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was hired by the Penguins, so we'll keep an eye.
Speaker 4: On the entire NHL just hiring people.
Speaker 1: He used to work former Penguins, former Penguins.
Speaker 4: So the Canucks, well he wasn't ever a UFA, but he was going down that road lost out on Michael McCarron, big tough center. He has extended with the Minnesota Wild six year deal, and our understanding is that the Canucks were interested in him, like a lot of teams, Oh didn't look out a place in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So that leads to the question.
Speaker 4: Where are they gonna and this will be the focus of our wedding dog poll question as well, where are they going to get some toughness.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Well that's a great question, don And by the way, I want to get this in. The Canucks were very keen to see what was going to happen with Michael mccareyn. He obviously signed, as you said, So what did the Canucks do with toughness? Curtis Douglass As a UFA, I do believe the Canucks want to add toughness, but that role would have to be an everyday player, a player who can be in the lineup every single game. Now, let's go back to Douglas. His teammates love him, fans love him, coaches love him. But he was healthy, scratch. There was three games I counted where Adam Foot gave him six minutes, I mean, which is ridiculous, right, I mean, So that doesn't mean the Canucks aren't going to resign Douglas. And as far as the last time I checked, there hasn't been any contract talks. But do the Canucks go to July first to get toughness? Their high interest in McCarran tells me that's an indicator they most likely will. There's guys out there like Brandon daheme if he hits the market, Canucks had interest in him three years ago, so do they go back to that. Well, you don't look excited about that. No. I love Brandon to him, but he's one of the best team players in Washington. If if you go do your research on the guy, Donnie, he's one of those glue guys in the dressing room, just keeps everyone. You know, he's always doing pranks in this and that he's a well they need to yeah, well, you know what I mean. They need good people in the dress so let's see what they do for toughness. But I was told that they would prefer to add toughness with a guy that's in the lineup every scenele of.
Speaker 4: Course that those the days are over of the exactly with all due respect of the goon good movie.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and gold movies. Go look at Carolina in Vegas. Their third and fourth lines, Donny, look at their fourth line. Guys get nine minutes, ten minutes, thirteen minutes, fourteen minutes. They're playing every game. You know, you got to have your fourth line playing the third period. You got to have your fourth line play in two to one hockey games in the third period. You can't just go with three and there's some edge there as well. Yeah, there's like washing Col's out for the Carolina. Hey, they're both those fourth lines in Carolina Vegas. Very good.
Speaker 4: Okay, So all of this leads to our Waddling Dog poll question. We good, Ryan. By the way, I just want to say this that we always discuss things before the show, and I talked about our preparation before the show. Your takes today off, Ryan, Like, honestly, you're off your game completely. So maybe we'll talk about that a little bit later. Waddling Dog poll question. The experienced one of Victoria's iconic destinations, Catch the World Cup at the Dog. We got the graphic here, Catch the World Cup at the Now. Ryan's in a snit. Oh, he's mad.
Speaker 1: He's mad with Canada games shown live and loud.
Speaker 4: It starts on Thursday tomorrow, Rick, Oh, Canada games shown live and loud and all twenty two TVs with full sound, none of that new fangled music playing. Oh no that the kids like during the games, full sound. Come sit and stay at the Waddling Dog today, Rick, All right.
Speaker 1: Ryan, get her up. The Wadling Dog. Pup poll question. The Canucks lost out to Michael mccaron yesterday. How should the Canucks fill their toughness void? And good lord, they've been so easy to play against the last few years. Everybody wants more Canadians, more toughness, more grit and more size. Do you extend Curtis Douglas? Look at this eighty three percent say extend Curtis Douglas, and then we got thirteen percent say sign a UFA and then make a trade. Three percent say make a trade to get toughness. But it certainly needs to be addressed. Cannucks only have two Canadians on the roster. It's embarrassing. It's just absolutely unequivocally embarrassing. The team down the highway across the border in Seattle's got eleven Canadians. Kelly McCrimmon, good Canadian. GM's got ten Western Canadian boys on Vegas, Donnie fourteen overall Canadians. They're telling you something right there. Kelly knows how to put together a hockey club.
Speaker 4: You just said you thought it would be a good idea for them to sign Michael McCarron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's American toughness, toughness. I was talking about the toughness. But otherwise they need more Canadians. He is American. Is American. He was drafted by Montreal late in the first Gross Pointe Michigan. Yeah, there you go, There you go.
Speaker 4: One of the worst movies. I never liked the Gross point blank. Did you just see it?
Speaker 1: No? Yeah, community people love it.
Speaker 4: I didn't love it.
Speaker 1: No, not a hockey movie. Yea. It was in the nice long time ago.
Speaker 4: I remember, I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Everybody loved it. Okay, moving on, how we do it for time? Right? How we do it? Three minutes?
Speaker 4: Okay, well again we will we have an open segment, a couple of segments from now. We'll dive into the Stanley Cup final from last night. Ryan and I disagreed on a John Torderella postgame clip. We'll talk about that. Mike Babcock the latest on him. The NHL has asked prom me. The NHLPA has asked the league, the NHL to do a full investigation of Mike Babcock being hired with the possibility of him being hired by the orders in mind. Now everybody remembers twenty twenty three when he was let go by the Columbus Blue Jackets because of i'll call it cell phone Gate. He wanted players to share their photos with him and maybe share the photos with other players. It was a strange, weird request. Some players were okay with it, a lot weren't. Complaints were made, so there was going to be an investigation by the NHL into that situation. It never happened because Mike Babcock stepped out. He and the Blue Jackets came to an agreement. He left, the organization never coached a game with him. So the PA is saying, okay, he's about to be It seems like he's about to.
Speaker 1: Be hired by the Edmonton owners.
Speaker 4: We're concerned about our players and their safety.
Speaker 1: They don't want any abuse.
Speaker 4: Going on, metal abuse going on, which Mike Babcock has been accused of in the past. So they want the NHL to delve into that investigation. Absolutely, and you can understand that. And that's happening right now. And it's happening right now. We talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 1: It caught everybody off guard, this Mike Babcock thing, but that's an organization that's got to win today. And as Elliott said, the owner is the guy that he's driving the bus there on Babcock, it's the owner. You know, people say it's the GM or it's McDavid or dry title. It's the owner who's getting tired of the leadership.
Speaker 4: Portedly met with and the met with Babcock did living and gave him their stamp of absolutely.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely. So let's see where this goes. Does the NHL say it's okay and then the oilers going sign him?
Speaker 4: You would have to think given the situation they're in at the stages of their career talking about Connor McDavid and Leon Dry title, they don't want another Chris Noblock title.
Speaker 1: It worked, I mean.
Speaker 4: They got to they got to a couple of Stanley cap He got to the fire, but it was it was somewhat veiled, but there was public criticism of their coaching staff versus what they were up against during the regular season and the playoffs. So there was that Jay Woodcroft, same thing, not not much not much experience there. They want to go down the road of a proven winner and Mike Babcock say what you want and I you know, he hasn't wont to playoff series since twenty thirteen, but he has one a lot. His resume includes Stanley Cup's title, a couple of Olympic gold medals, so I think you can you can understand that, but there is the issue of the way he treats people. It's not good and and look, it's one thing for but David and dry title to be okay with Mike Babcock, but reportedly the problem is the way he treats everybody else, way down the roster and even even staff.
Speaker 1: Third fourth line guys, you know, defense and even staff though defense has been six you know, how do you people who aren't players?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So good stories.
Speaker 4: So it looks like the NHL is going to do a full investigation. And my question there is yes, okay, I get that, but aren't the oiler is going to do the same thing and poke around ask people in Columbus, Hey, what what happened here? And in Detroit and wherever he's been? Okay, here's what's coming up on the show DTMZ. Is it just me coming up in the eleven o'clock hour. Neil McAvoy is going to join his director of football Operations with the DC Lions. Lions opened their twenty twenty six CFL regular season Saturday in Regina against the Saskatchewan rough Riders. They had a bye week in Week one. We'll see those new Pacific Frost uniforms. On Saturday. John Shannon will join us just after eleven o'clock. The TV ratings down South for the Stanley Cup Final.
Speaker 1: Have been hegrific, huge, terrific. Didn't see that coming, didn't see it coming. I'm sorry, but they've been huge.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you know, first of all, the entertainment value has been very good in concert with what's happening in the NBA Finals which resume tonight. And you know, no matter what anybody says, the Olympic bomb helped.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, I know.
Speaker 4: The NHL hockey has been tremendous, but big bump with the USA winning the Olympic gold medal. Big ride. The Twitter guy coming up later this hour, and up next we talk about the BC Lions.
Speaker 1: Voice of the BC Lions.
Speaker 4: He'll have something to say about the Caducks in the NHL as well, maybe the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Bob the moje or Jonathan Schmojes.
Speaker 4: Next, Thanks for tuning in, folks, Donny and Delay the team on check Dollie and Dollie.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA closing your business. We can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA. That's sales at ab l e Auctions dot Ca. Wednesday and all today's guests are brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty, yes, fifty seven thousand employers across the province of British Columbia. Want to bring the bc CSA to your job site. Safety on Tour Delivery dynamic mobile safety demonstrations directly to your workplace and Rick, you know what, at no cost to you. Visit Safety on Tour dot CA eight today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration.
Speaker 1: What's happening? Ryan?
Speaker 4: Have we got moch Okay? You think so?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Voice of the BC Lions. They open up Saturday in Saskatchewan from Black Press.
Speaker 1: Bob the Merjonovichery there, Bob, I'm here.
Speaker 5: Can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, wonder what is that on the back? What's that in the background?
Speaker 5: That's Taylor the play caller, Oh.
Speaker 1: Play caller. Okay, you know.
Speaker 6: Like he always wants to be a coach and stuff, and hold on, he looks good in black. You know your name came up during training camp, Taylor.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, there was a Don Taylor who used to play for the Lions running back. Because of the running back, yeah, right back.
Speaker 6: And your name came up in training camp because we were talking about that TV Diva moment you had Montreal when you didn't want to walk from Schwartze.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, okay, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: I'll tell the story.
Speaker 6: So people that don't know, we went to Schwartz's and we decided we're going to walk up to the stadium, right yeah, And I'd always do the walk because Rent Tool would always do the walk, and you know Scotty.
Speaker 5: He'd walk and run everywhere.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: So it's about a ten minute walk. We're about three minutes in and Taylor just loses it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not.
Speaker 1: Telling the whole story.
Speaker 5: Hold on, Nuds, Yeah, follow it.
Speaker 4: You're not telling the whole story. Someone thought they knew where they were going and.
Speaker 7: Got lost in plus forty weather, by the way, and we were carrying our luggage. You forgot that part, and b Mack and I were going, hey, let's get just get a cabern Uber or whatever the case may be, and you're like, no, no, I know where it is, looking on your phone, going the wrong way.
Speaker 4: You remember that part.
Speaker 6: Forty degrees and you're wearing all black leg Johnny Cash for crying out loud, my.
Speaker 4: Luck, it's my luck.
Speaker 5: I do remember you were pratt. The one thing I do remember honestly about that triple was so humid.
Speaker 6: When I walked over the press box I saw you in McIntyre, it looked like you just walked out of a shower with his clothes on.
Speaker 4: Oh it was something else. Back East in the summer is not a place you want to be. I love going to Montreal, I love going to Toronto, New York. But in July, oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, not here. Awful, awful, humid, yeah, humid, Okay.
Speaker 4: Schwartz's was was good though, and you were ordering around the waiters and waitress always it alwaysy extra pickles, always, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know that's true, and you know it's true that you got lost extra.
Speaker 4: All right, Hey, is it is it? Is it too early with with the Lions in Regina on Saturday?
Speaker 1: In mind?
Speaker 4: Is it is it too early to say this version of the Lion could be better? Is better than the one that.
Speaker 1: Lost the Western Final in Saskatchwan last year?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, you always want to get you always want to improve as a team.
Speaker 5: So do they believe they're better? I think they do.
Speaker 6: I mean, obviously there's gonna be a pretty good test in Regina comes Saturday. It's interesting because you know, people always talk about it's just another game, it's just one of eighteen. Yet at the same time, it's the team that beat you last year in the playoffs, a team that you believe you were better than and that you should have beat. And I think the other thing that comes into play too, is like, line's win this game. They've got Saskatchewan two more times at home, right, So it's a big game when it comes to the tiebreaker. But you know it's we'll see. But I'm I'm excited. I'm excited to see these guys on the field at the same time. We've seen little glimpses during training camp of Dathan Lurk of you know, Darnell Sanki of Casey Sales. I want to see these guys on the field at the same time and let's get this thing going.
Speaker 4: Okay, you mentioned Darnell Sankie sign is a free agent from Montreal for the defense. What's he going to add modes? A lot of people are excited about him.
Speaker 6: Discipline, accountability, hard knows player, good leader, just talking to him at training camp, and of course you know during the course of the week, he's just he just has it like you can sense it, right, And I think this is a type of player that's going to take command of the defense and make everybody else around him better.
Speaker 1: All right, moj When you have the best quarterback in the CFL, my biggest question always is the old line. Are they going to be able to protect him? Who left, who came in? What's that old line looking like for you heading into game one?
Speaker 6: Well, of course, Jerrell Broxton that left tackles, the big hit that they took. Now they've kicked Curley Woodrooff out from guard to tackle. Brandon Yeats is going to come and play guard. Woodroff lost fifteen to twenty pounds. He's had a great camp. A lot of people are high on him, and I think another big key to this offensive line is Dejahn Allen, who they acquired from Toronto last year. He was injured training camp at a back issue. They d a triceps issue, and he just couldn't get on a roll, couldn't get any momentum. But he's back, he's healthy, and if he can regain the form that made him the CFL's most outstanding lineman, I believe in twenty twenty three or twenty twenty four, they're gonna be in pretty good shape.
Speaker 1: I know you're a big fan of Brendan Gallagher. Yes, yeah, so we know that. Oh oh, it's not even questionable. But should the Canucks go out of their way to get him? He's got one year left six point five million on his deal, he's available, Canucks are showing interest. His agent was on with us. Should they get Brendan Gallagher.
Speaker 5: I'd go after him.
Speaker 6: Why not? I mean, you need to have good veterans around some of these younger players. I know you guys had Troy Stetcher on the show yesterday, there's another quality human being in my books, Troy from Richmond. But you know, you look at those two guys, character guys, quality guys. It was kind of crazy to think how old they're stretches up to what thirty two?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 6: Yep, yep, this is like what I remember when he broke it in the league, right, where's the time guy? But you know they're players that when you have those type of veterans around to set the standard, to show what it's like to you know, show the younger players what it means.
Speaker 5: To be a pro both on and off the ice, you need those guys. You need good character guys for the younger players on this team to learn from.
Speaker 6: And those are two guys that I would have no hesitation in bringing in if I was the Vancouver Canucks.
Speaker 1: Are you concerned about you know, rookie president's rookie GM rookie coach that this looks like Lyndon, Willie d and Benny back in twenty whatever it was, I think twenty fifteen. Are you concerned about rookies across the board?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: And no.
Speaker 6: I mean the Sedines have are on the NHL for a long time. Manny Malhotra has coaching experience in Abbotsford.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean going to the National High League.
Speaker 6: It's it's a jump for anyone, and it's a jump for these individuals in terms of their responsibilities.
Speaker 5: But I just think they're gonna figure it out.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 6: And you know, if they can bring somebody in with a little experience, all the better. But I think this group's gonna be okay. Just I have a feeling because the biggest thing is they're good people, right, and I think they're gonna be able to figure it out. But as we said in the past, you could have said the same about Trevor Lindon too, right, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our base side inbox mode.
Speaker 4: We're getting a lot of complaints about your microphone. It's nice, it's time to buck up, go to radio shack or what.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Honestly, am my bad because I've got this Yetti microphone and for whatever reason when I hook it up, it's it's not performing properly. So my apologies on that. It will hopefully be fixed for next week.
Speaker 4: It's not that bad, but I just thought I bring it up. Maybe maybe it is time to buck up. Talk to Ryan.
Speaker 1: He'll he'll help you. Out. Yeah, he'll finance it for you.
Speaker 4: Hey, World Cup fever, have you caught it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Because why I think just.
Speaker 6: The price is kind of really like you know, like you know, the prices to get into the building. What happened with the BC Sports Hall of Fame. Yeah, yeah, and the other thing too. I think with me, if if I'm in, I'm all in. If I'm out, I'm all out. There's no in between, if you know what I'm saying. So if you know, if I do get into it, I'll be all in. I'll be watching all the games. But right now I'm just you know, focusing on what's happening with the Lions and obviously get more season don't here on the weekend, So for me, that's the main focus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the prices are something else, but you know what entertainment.
Speaker 4: And we talked to Victor mc tongue Yanni recently and he just says, you know, like that's the price of entertainment these days. But I just you know, they decrease tickets to down to seven hundred dollars for one of the games here at BC. I mean, I just don't know. Thanks, Thanks, you can't go as a family.
Speaker 1: I don't know who can go.
Speaker 4: Maybe you could afford I'm not sure you get a buck up for a microphone.
Speaker 1: Okay, I tell you so.
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, the Big the Big News Moche the Big Bang Mode shootout. Oh what's happening?
Speaker 1: Your golf tournament.
Speaker 5: Officially sold out.
Speaker 6: We're just continuing to get some quote VIP types, so we are continuing to fill up the VIPs. But yeah, looking forward to June twenty ninth at the Harvest in Kelowna. Talk to the gang up there, Juelle Defour and Tamara Grahamon and that crew.
Speaker 5: They're they're so.
Speaker 6: Great to work with and yeah, so looking forward to it. And now hopefully Henderson will come up and volunteer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as he has, as he has in the past, and that's not going to happen for people. Not sure about those that are that date. It's in between the two Lions games in Kelowna.
Speaker 1: I got that right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, best of luck with that and we'll see maybe, like I say, Ryan or check and help you out with it with a new microphone.
Speaker 1: You sounded fine to me. Okay, he doesn't sound fine. It's it's it's choppy. It sounds check.
Speaker 6: You know, I tested it be fore. It was kind of a little choppy. I thought I might be able to get away with it, but really I didn't. So anyway, you know what, I phone Dollar, Well, they'll send everybody he can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, just get ready to depart for Sascatchwan. Get going all right?
Speaker 5: See you get ready to part to Vegas and hang out with your agent buddies.
Speaker 1: No more Vegas, save travels, moch They'll play.
Speaker 5: Let's have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: Lions in Saskatchewan against a rough Rider team that beat them in the Western Final. And Neil McAvoy's going to join us later on. And I heard him on six point fifty it was earlier this week. It was earlier this week talking about how it's gonna be a little tough watching them unfurl their great Cup banner in Regina, but it will also be inspirational for Lions players. That is on Saturday, Stanley Cup Final. We want to talk about that and other matters hockey in our next segment. We also update the poll question the Watling dog Pole question. Donnie Dolly the team Jack looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island get away head to beautiful Parksville, and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand.
Speaker 1: Crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge.
Speaker 4: Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight triple three.
Speaker 1: Your Island adventure starts here.
Speaker 4: Wadling Doog poll question experienced one of Victoria's iconic destinations. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada's games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Dog today Canucks. Unfortunately, Yeah, finding out earlier this week that Michael McCarron extending with the Minnesota Wild Big American bottom sixth tough forward, they would have loved to have signed him.
Speaker 1: All understand they would have liked to get that didn't happen.
Speaker 4: So that leads to our wadling dog poll question and a player who played with the Canucks last season.
Speaker 1: All right, Ryan, get her up the waddling dog pop pole question. The Canucks lost out on Michael McCallan yesterday. How should they fill their toughness void? Look at this, people just love Curtis Douglas eighty four percent leading the way, signed a UFA thirteen percent, way at the bottom making three three percent. But look, this is a good summer on July first for tough guys. Deloier from Philadelphia, Dohaim from Washington, A lot of these guys, get hey, Ryan reeves he could be available on July first. There's a good market for tough guys. So if the Canucks, if they want to extend Curtis Douglas, they can do that. If they want to go to July first, there's going to be good, but it's going to be a little bit more expensive. Douglas's contract is not going to be hard to do. I don't even know. I can't sit here and tell you if it's going to be a one way deal. I can't sit here and tell you that. But I can tell you that if they go to July first, it's going to be a little bit more expensive. There won't be two way deals. Even a guy like Ryan Reeves is not in a position to handle a two way contract. He would still demand a one way deal. So some room for your younger players. You're developing players, Yes, that's the thought.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And I mean it's never bad to have a toughness. And I told you that when it comes to Curtis Douglas and what is he six foot nine? You watch him play, there's one obvious weakness in his game.
Speaker 1: That's a skating. He would know, you know, to work on his skating. And I've said this before and I'll say it again.
Speaker 4: There's people in Vancouver that can help him out. Karen Coss and Ryan's favorite skating instructor, Bruno del Maestro Maestro.
Speaker 1: My buddy Derek Popke out in Richmond could help me.
Speaker 4: Curtis, if you're listening, let me know we can. We can send you in the right direction.
Speaker 1: But I can tell you that the players and the coaches loved Curtis Douglas. They really did. Just a great guy. Uh just to really sign because don I told you, and he fought the other guy that was six eight. What was that fight he had? It was a great fight. And when he scored in n Anaheim, did you see everyone jump on his back like that's what No, but you saw that. That's what you want is when a tough well, when a tough guy scores, that tough guy scores. And remember when Gino he was his first NHL goal, it was his first NHL goal. Remember when Gino would score, the bench would erupt. Same thing. People love when tough guys score goals. It's a prova.
Speaker 8: The way you kind of revision his history on why Rick he was in and out of the lineup after stops worst team, Well, no, you would quit. You bring up Kelly mccrimmin's roster building with Vegas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fourteen Canadians.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, great, but them the Conducks, Addam Curtis Douglas is not a needle mover by any means.
Speaker 4: But Ryan, you do need you need and you need you By the way, the conversation we had before the show was not in line with what you're taking your jack changing.
Speaker 8: You need more toughness than what they have, sure, but you need guys that stay in your line up.
Speaker 1: I did that.
Speaker 4: That's obvious, but you might not have a choice if you don't know, you know, you know, if you're gonna be able to sign Ryan Reeves, it might be Curtis Douglas. Hopefully he works on his skating.
Speaker 1: If you do extend him, you work on his skating, help him work on.
Speaker 4: His skating in the off season. I think it's a it's a I don't think you just dismissed somebody.
Speaker 1: You gotta whack of young kids coming because they got thirty plus picks in the next three NHL drafts. You got to have somebody to protect those kids.
Speaker 8: Even a Z sure, But if Curtis Douglas can't stay in your lineup, okay, how does he protect made?
Speaker 1: Let's get made the point.
Speaker 4: Let's get to the Stanley Cup Final, all right, So Carolina over Vegas. We talked about it in the first segment, uh five to three of the final, and again I'll say it, yet another comeback last night and they didn't win, but Theygas was down two nothing in three to one at home. You don't turn the channel because the way this Stanley Cup Final has gone, you knew that Vegas was going to come back, and they did. They tied it three to three going into the third and they end up giving up a couple of goals in that third period and losing five to three. But the entertainment value just tremendous. And these stories that are being woven in this series. You know, Freddie Anderson doesn't dress, like we're not geting dressed. It didn't even didn't dress. He saw him take the hit to the head earlier in this series. Him not dressing being a scratch had to have something to do with that. Although the spot or never never had him checked out during that game that he was hit. It was a strange situation, but that him not dressing last night at all, not even as a backup, had to have something to do with that. So incomes Brandon Bussy and we saw what he did in Game three. He was really good in the third period and the overtime. Big left handed American goaltender twenty seven year old rookie undrafted, the first undrafted goalie to start and win a game in a Stanley Cup final.
Speaker 1: What a story.
Speaker 4: North American Hockey League. He played at Western Michigan. One of his teammates was Mak sassin Oh All sorts of time in the minors. He was waived by Florida eight months ago, and here he is playing hero in a Stanley Cup final in Las Vegas, Nevada. We got this clip here Ryan parents. Okay, so this is this is Brandon Bussy with Kyle Bokoskas are reacting to the shots of his parents that Haiking and Canada had, but shots of his parents and his agent in the crowd last night A special night for Brandon.
Speaker 9: Really need to see both your parents Robin, Lisa and fiance Mary here as well. There's some great reactions and then as you can imagine, the crowd. So I just wanted to see this.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a.
Speaker 10: That's pretty special. So the other reason why I'm able to do what I do right now. Their sacrifice means everything, and uh yeah, they're they're the best.
Speaker 4: Is the fact that they're here watching this in person.
Speaker 1: I mean, what does that mean to you?
Speaker 10: I mean, flying East Coast Vegas in one day or this morning is a lot. It means a lot. I can't believe you guys just did that to me on TV. So yeah, it's special though, that'll be a memory I have forever. But I'll enjoy this one tonight and then tomorrow we move forward to game five.
Speaker 9: It didn't make to make you emotional, But I will ask you what more brands you've seen this final? I mean, no two goal lead has been safe. Like, how do you just manage the emotions here when you're in there?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that that's it, managing your emotions right, not too high, not too low.
Speaker 1: They're a good team. We're a good team.
Speaker 10: Stuff can happen randomly, Just trying to stay with it. For me at least, if I'm in you know, I'm focused on the next shot and our team. It's always the next shift, no matter if we're hemming pressure, if they have pressure, I'm just looking forward to the next out opportunity.
Speaker 4: Boy, he looks so calm in the net. It's one thing to be large, it's another thing to look that way. He looks like he belongs. And you look at his resume and where'd he come from. He's had an exceptional season and it picked up last night. Twenty seven year old rookie lefty undrafted. Just a great, great story, by the way, thirty three goals total through four games.
Speaker 1: We talked about what was.
Speaker 4: Going on through three games, but goals don't always mean entertainment, but that certainly is the case so far in this series. But thirty three goals total through four games. And we talked about this yesterday through three games, but I wanted to bring this up through four games because it is tied for third all time thirty three goals through four games. Have we got that board, guys that we talked about before the show, tied for the third highest total in Cup Final history with the Flyers versus Islanders in nineteen eighty But I wanted to bring this up because check.
Speaker 1: It out the.
Speaker 4: Most make that, yeah, tied with the Flyers Islanders. Okay, got the right, but leading the way thirty six goals through four games in a Stanley Cup Final North Stars versus Islanders in nineteen eighty one. And look a look at who the North Stars and Islanders are tied with back in nineteen eighteen, the Toronto Arenas and the Vancouver Millionaires. Oh Rick thirty six goals through four games. That was the best of five that Toronto Arenas won against the Vancouver Millionaires, who had won the Stanley Cup in nineteen fifteen. Yes, Ryan I was there to cover it. But in that nineteen eighteen series Toronto, winning three games to two five games cyclone. Taylor scored nine goals in those five games. There you go, put that in your pipe.
Speaker 1: I got to call Mkichi to see double check on that series. All right, Ryan, we're good. Well wait you say that about Donald time today? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I decided, No, I just I decided to Really this time.
Speaker 4: Are you going to use in big rye the microphone incident with John Trode relevant? H? I can.
Speaker 8: There's an amazing story with Paul Skeins. I's gonna get to I don't know if you guys have seen it. Okay, the Pirates picture.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get we'll get to talk.
Speaker 4: You know why you don't want to use the Toroderella clip because you know that discussion we had before the show.
Speaker 1: You know I'm right about no, wait, not at all. I had a lot of bad takes said before the business.
Speaker 4: Uh And and by the way, the Stanley Cup Final resumes tomorre NBA finals are resumed tonight. All right, Hopefully those New York fans behave themselves. Man, Yeah, I see Road Team has won all these things because there's all.
Speaker 8: These hot takes out of that one little video like I'm sorry. It's an awful video.
Speaker 4: Clearly little video.
Speaker 8: It's a twenty second clip that's awful. It's horrific. But the way people are like, it's like every nick fan needs to get a hold of themselves. You're gonna have to have a bad apple in every single curbstule it was. It's awful. Clearly it's awful. But New York it's like every like, now, every nick fan needs to control themselves. Come on, man, like you're gonna find an idiot in every well, you.
Speaker 4: Know, But there's people in New York saying that Ryan, so this just him. We don't necessarily see everything. Okay, not everything gets gets insuranted.
Speaker 8: Let me tell you, but that that.
Speaker 1: Video, you're calling it a little video, it's I don't care about the lane.
Speaker 4: I don't care about what I saw.
Speaker 8: I'm not downplaying the incident. I'm just saying it's now it's like every nick fan is awful because of this one video that we see that's like a really bad incident. Let me tell you, Vancouver can learn a lot. You see how many cops New York.
Speaker 4: I've said this a million times. Nineteen ninety four, when we entered the building as I place Drop here, City Drop. We went into Madison Square Garden games seven Canucks and Rangers and the five deep cops.
Speaker 1: Cops cops, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, on horses, batons, everything, the message being don't mess around. New York had a really vibrant celebration afterwards. Vancouver not so much. Yeah, not that they would celebrate. I think what happened in Vancouver would have happened win or loose, yes both times. Ninety four and twenty eleven. People forget nineteen ninety three Montreal wins the Stanley Cup. You can look it up on YouTube or any social media. There was a riot in Montreal when they won. By in New York. You're you're bang on. The message was clear from the no Shenanigans course. Shenanigans business, a major BC based television series is relocating future production of California. The television series.
Speaker 1: We understand is Track, We Think, We Think Yeah.
Speaker 4: Our sources have indicated and has instructed able auctions to sell tens of thousands of set decoration props and wardrobe items to the highest bidder, everything from amazing designer furniture. You got your eye on that couch, that's a beautiful couch to weird and unique prompts. They must be previewed to be appreciated. It's like a throne. There a leather throne. You've you used those on a Friday night. Take a look for yourself this Saturday, ten am to four pm at the Massive Langley TV Studio. For info on this unique auction, go to Abele Auctions dot CAA b l E Auctions dot c A. John Shanna Top of the Hour in Neil McAvoy, the Bcllons after that up next, Big Ride, Donny and Dolly, the Team un Check, three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two Today Bayside Ocean Front Resort in Parksville inbox. Another candidate for submission of the Year, this one from Brandon in New West. We just talked about the horses that I saw the police officers on horses. In nineteen ninety four, before Game seven with the Stanley Cup Final, Brendan texting in, you don't mess with New York horses when you know Kramer's out there feeding them. Biferoni a big Seinfeld fan, Ryan, Yeah, big ride the Twitter guy.
Speaker 1: Did you two get that?
Speaker 8: Didn't you go to like Price Club? Yeah, like their version of Costco and him and Newman loaded up.
Speaker 1: Fan rest you few to Yeah a little too much, befern.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, because he's trying to get rid of the San Francisco treat.
Speaker 1: What is not the Beferroni, the San Francisco tre is race Seroni, the San Franco know what?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Do you even know what ra Saroni is?
Speaker 8: I know what Ny is?
Speaker 1: You know what Saffaroni is? San Francisco treat. It used to be a commercial, but this is New York.
Speaker 4: And yes it did. I can remember the jingle.
Speaker 1: Yes, ry Seroni a great commercial, great commercial.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was a great episode, by the way, That was the Rye bread episode.
Speaker 1: But Marble Rye was it?
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 1: I'll check it out.
Speaker 8: The Rosses were the ones in the carriage, right.
Speaker 1: He was trying to get rid of them so he could put the marble rye back exactly.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, you're probably right, yeah yeah, Okay, you just teased this in our last segment, So we'll start with John Torrella up to it again. His antics post game last night, because you know, nobody's more important than him in his time, he had a little bit of a battle with a microphone when he was trying to give one of his answers, and this is how it went down.
Speaker 11: Oh I thought we were I don't think we were that bad.
Speaker 8: First of all, props, he picked things up like immediately, like no problem towards.
Speaker 1: It, but can relate to that microphone.
Speaker 8: I have no time for him anymore. That disdain he has for the media, despite constantly taking a paycheck from the media whenever he's out of a job, and and just that nobody is more important than him, and even this fake thing he does where you know, I don't need any credit. It's all about my players needing credit. It's a roundabout way of saying, yeah, keep giving me credit, because I'm gonna take it. I just and the way he looked over at the PR guy, like hey, come and fix this a microphone.
Speaker 12: Anybody would have a microphone. I picked a mic up, you put him back, You're wrong, wrong, I just I'm tired of his act. He just everything, the way he spits on our I.
Speaker 4: Think people feel about him in Vegas right now.
Speaker 8: Of course, if he wins a cop, I mean, well, there's one guy that doesn't like him. It's probably Bruce Cassidy.
Speaker 1: But with just the look on his face when the mic rives.
Speaker 8: Well and then even now like oh, would you hurry up and get this fix?
Speaker 4: I would imagine that's the Vegas I don't know his name, the Vegas media relationship, probably the NHL, the or the NHL, and it's.
Speaker 8: More more in their territory than towards it's picking up a mic.
Speaker 4: Was he that that? And gentleman there, I would imagine would probably be more familiar with microphones than John Tortorilla. He'd let him handle it and everything was was fine.
Speaker 8: The other night after Game three, he provided ninety seconds and like three word answers to.
Speaker 1: All the questions.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say, because nobody they're already in trouble because of the way he has handled the media in the past. But I don't think that was a big deal. I thought it was kind of funny.
Speaker 8: Actually, where's your sense of here, where's your backing of our jobs?
Speaker 4: You ripped into all every.
Speaker 8: Time Belichick did something along these lines, that's not the same.
Speaker 4: Okay, difficult, Okay if you want to call it that, Sure, and he lets somebody who's probably more familiar with the technical difficulty handle.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what about and then they then did he leave? Well, he kept answering questions.
Speaker 8: Okay, so what about Saturday night after Game three when he was given no answer?
Speaker 4: Look, okay, he hasn't got the greatest history in the world.
Speaker 1: But I think you're off base here.
Speaker 8: It's all in line with why am I even doing this? You idiots in the media. I got no time for There is that he works for ESPN, comes call and gives him another job, and he gets money from the media profession. I'm tired of it. And look at it's clearly successful. I mean, he's on the verge.
Speaker 1: He keeps getting highed, he wins another. I think he's act as good for the game, we're bad for the game.
Speaker 8: It's probably good for the game, but is it respectful to what we do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, But he's had a lot of success. I mean, it's been twenty two years since he won that Stanley up in Tampa Bay. It just seems like, uh, yeah, yesterday.
Speaker 8: Jack Adams and Columbus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's had a couple of them, if I'm not mistaken. But he's had success, and he.
Speaker 4: Keeps getting hired.
Speaker 1: Somebody likes him, but I don't. And I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I don't like the way. I don't always like the way he treats the media, and coupled with the irony of him working in the media, just.
Speaker 1: It doesn't go over well with me or a lot of people to me.
Speaker 4: But last night that was just kind of funny.
Speaker 1: I thought you're nippicking today. That's a nippick An item on you on John nippicking.
Speaker 8: Well, greedy disagree, that's fine.
Speaker 4: On the other side, John chann By the way, the Marble Rye episode episode and I got the name right.
Speaker 1: It's beefer Reno, not Berni. Okay, that's why.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 1: That's from Cam. That's why you were me. We Ron and Cloverdale just sent us Rice a Roni. The commercial. It's a great commercial, one of the best all the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, maybe we'll run it in DTMs.
Speaker 3: We'll run it.
Speaker 1: We'll take a break. A great commercial. Great Donnie, back it up, all right?
Speaker 8: John Shann's next. Neil mcavoyd eleven fifteen, talking about the Lions getting things started this weekend. It's a sketchwe It's Donnie Dolly the team I Check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's DONNIEA Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot Ca. Several of our customers texting in mentioning that there's a microphone theme to our show today Motage with issues with his microphone. Same thing with John.
Speaker 1: Javeroa today all of our guests, including John Shannon.
Speaker 4: We'll see if his MIC's so working. Brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across the province. Want to bring the BCCSA to your job site. Safety on Tour delivers dynamic mobile safety demonstrations directly to your workplace at no cost to you. Visit Safety on Tour dot CA today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration. He joins us from the one hundred Percent Hockey podcast on Canucks John Chatton, Thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 4: Oh, look at this Rick I'm doing?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: Boys, love it?
Speaker 1: Love it? Yeah. The San Francisco Treat San Francisco Treat. Yeah, yep. You just happened to have that nearby before this interview.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 13: The props department is just down.
Speaker 1: Give them a raise there.
Speaker 13: Trust me, there are a lot of props.
Speaker 4: I have no idea what the segue is here, John, But do you understand what the Edmonton Oilers are thinking going after like or reportedly going after like Babcock was.
Speaker 13: Not reportedly they are going after my Babcock. I do understand it. It doesn't necessarily mean I agree with it, nor do I do. I feel that it's going to be one hundred percent certain that he will be the coach.
Speaker 11: I think that.
Speaker 13: What we're witnessing in the last couple of days is pushback from his time in Columbus. UH and the players Association, insisting that the league get to the bottom of what actually went on in Columbus because the league did not do an investigation of the events in and around that summertime when Mike was the coach that briefly for the Blue Jackets. And then we'll just have to wait and see. It could take a while, Donnie. Before the NHL the players, they talked to the people in the Columbus organization, they talked to of exactly what went on and and what you do have to wonder, and this is my own personal opinion, what you do have to wonder if Mike wants to go through that again. You know it's not you know, he's going to get paid handsomely if he gets the coaching job, but there are other things that time is more important than money, and you have to wonder if he wants to go through that.
Speaker 1: Would he get paid handsomely?
Speaker 4: John, I mean, brother, this is relatively speaking, because what's his leverage? Who else is going after him?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I think he would get hit paid handsomely because of what the Oilers need and his resume of how much he has been paid in the past. And I just mean to me, handsomely is it at least seven figures, and for the four of us that would be handsomely for sure, you got that right. So from that perspective, I think that you know, you have to wonder at a certain point if going through this and being dragged through the mud again, is it worth it for Mike. Now I'm not I'm and I'm not even certain that Mike is the right guy for the job. At the same time, this is one of those ones where I think there are so many different angles to look at the story before we get to the point of the Oilers dropping the puck next season.
Speaker 4: Does it surprise you that the Oilers leadership group, which you assume is m McDavid and Drisidle et cetera, maybe Zach Hyman and Evan Bouchard, they've given this their stamp of approval.
Speaker 13: The way it was explained to me is I think that the name, you know, Mike's name, was introduced to the guys. I do believe that Zach obviously is a huge Mike Babcock fan from his time in Toronto. I think the other sidebar to this is that Mike's son has been hired by the by the Hyman family to coach their junior team in Brantford. So that's part of a storyline. I do think that there's a real belief and if you sat with Leon or sat with Connor, they say, we need to be a lot more hardline in our games. We need to be a lot more decisive in our games. From that perspective, From a tactical technical perspective, Mike Babcock is very good. It's how he treats people is the question. And whether that will become a factor. If Mike Babcock can come out and say, listen, I treated people badly, I was wrong. I can be better, then perhaps something can come of this. But we haven't heard or we haven't heard from Mike about it, we haven't heard from the league about it, and we're only hearing media reports of what's going on.
Speaker 1: All right, there's another high profile team in Canada still looking for a coach. What are you hearing on the Maple Leae front.
Speaker 13: Well, I was I was one of those guys led to believe late last week it was going to beat Peter Laviolette and the things were close. You know, whether he got they got thrown for a loop or Kenny just swooped in and hired him for the Kings. We will have to wait and see.
Speaker 4: I I.
Speaker 13: You know there are there are still plenty of names the other way. Let me just throw one name atche that's already in the Leaf organization, and that's John Gruden. You know, the Marleys are in the AHL Calder Cup Championship series. This guy has done a hell of a job. And when you think about what the Maple Leafs are going to be going through for the next two or three years, the question has to be asked, isn't John Gruden potentially the right type of coach for this hockey club right now? You know the I got news for Leaf fans. They're not winning the Stanley Cup next year. You know you're not that close. Why not build with a guy who has built junior teams and junior franchises successfully and now has done a pretty good job with the Marleys in the short term. As you guys both know, coaches don't last very long and in many ways you need a bridge coach, and wouldn't John Gruden at this point be a pretty good bet to be a bridge coach for your hockey club, particularly when you're watching him coach right now within your own organization.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Carolina Vegas, tons of goals. Love it. But what about the ratings down South? Pretty big for Game three? I think they pass five million, close to six Yeah, did you see that coming.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 13: But at the same time, ratings have been really, really strong Rick since the Olympics and and and what has happened is for the first time in all of these years that NHLers have gone to Olympics, and everybody prayed for the bump, we need a bump coming out of the games. Well we got the bump. We got the bump for one reason. The United States won, and the and America bought into the game. And particularly what we're seeing is growth amongst female viewers. Well, as you guys both know, the Olympics are designed for a female viewership, and so that's in my opinion, that's exactly what's happened, is that female viewers are growing the NHL game because of the residue of what we saw in Italy in February, and finally the NHL has been able to take advantage of it. And now we're seeing entertaining hockey. We're seeing a ton of mistakes, we're seeing players play with a lot of excitement, a lot of energy, and it's it's it's auguring well for the game south.
Speaker 1: Of the Border, for sure. Heated Rivalry has helped as well the popularity.
Speaker 13: Everybody and I have not seen Heated Rivalry.
Speaker 4: I have not watched it.
Speaker 13: I have not done what the commissioner did and binge it over a weekend. Have you watched it, Donnie?
Speaker 4: I watched one episode and I can see the attraction, uh for the female audience.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I'll have to.
Speaker 1: I'll have to.
Speaker 13: I'll have to have to load that one up and watch it on the plane one day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You and Gary get together and he can watch he can watch it again.
Speaker 13: Hey, no, because no, because if Gary watches it again, he's gonna point it the things. Hey, watch this, watch this. I can't stand people to do that to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, I got to ask you this too.
Speaker 4: He's a friend of the show. But Chris Cuthbert was on your show on Monday, recipient of the twenty twenty six Foster Hewitt Award Hockey Hall of Fame. Anybody more deserving than Chris John No, Chris.
Speaker 13: Has done Yeoman's work for the game. The NHL game. When you consider that he started doing games with US in nineteen eighty three and then called, in my opinion, the greatest goal in Canadian hockey history since seventy two, which was Sydney's goal in Vancouver in twenty ten, and then did has done such great work for Hockey Night in Canada for TSN over the years, calling as many games that he has. Chris is one of those guys. He's a workhorse. If there are three games to be done in a day, Chris wants to do all three. And he's got a passion for.
Speaker 4: Play by play.
Speaker 13: He's a good storyteller. He knows how to weave the game in amongst the other events that are going on. He does a tremendous job. And I will say this. You know, we talk about the greatness of broadcasters, and we always talk about booming voices. Chris doesn't have a booming voice, and he's compensated for the lack of the giant voice with information.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 13: And he's learned how to do that so well, and he is well deserving of the foster he would award.
Speaker 4: Well said, all right, uh, John, next week Salley Cup Final be over and we'll talk to you then and go enjoy your rice Aeroni and maybe an episode of heated Rivalry. What an afternoon you have ahead of you.
Speaker 13: Rice Pee, laugh with you know some beef Sirloine tip in it hoof tough to.
Speaker 4: You talk about salaries. We can't afford that kind of meill come on now, maybe next time we're in truck. Hey, by the way, this guy's going to be in Toronto this weeken't wait?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this weekend, this weekend.
Speaker 13: I'm waiting for the call back.
Speaker 1: Pat Morris. I've set up you're next. You're next after Pat Morris. Pat Morris, good friend of mine, good agent. You know what?
Speaker 4: Pat? Set it up? Pat set it up.
Speaker 13: And you know, you know why I'm second. You know why I'm second.
Speaker 4: I know why did.
Speaker 13: Out of town?
Speaker 1: There you go?
Speaker 4: There you go next week, John, thank you?
Speaker 13: Maybe next week?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, great? Sorry, sorry about that, John Channon.
Speaker 4: What are they doing that for? Why you're telling them I'm in Toronto? I like putting you in the hut stopping one percent Hockey podcast Percent Canucks. That American Hockey League final uh begins later this week. It's I just lost the page here, but it's it's the Toronto Marley's against the Chicago Wolves. So the Leafs Farm Club led by John Gruden against Carolinas A farm Club. Good year for the Carolina Hurricanes A break and Neil McAvoy the BC Lions is next. Donnie Dolly the team on.
Speaker 2: Jack, Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca. A Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auction specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email Sales at able auctions dot ca. That's sales at ABLA auctions dot Ca. All today's guests, including Neil McAvoy the Lions, standing by and brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand.
Speaker 1: Employers across the province.
Speaker 4: Visit Safety on Tour dot ca today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration. Lions had a bye week in Week one of the CFL season. They open their twenty twenty six CFL season Saturday at Saskatchewan. I assume that will be in their new Pacific Froust White Road jerseys. We're joined now by our friend BC Lions VP of Football Operations, Neil macaboy. Neil, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, guys. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 14: It's always good to see Dolly wearing a BC Lions jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just for you. I'm still waiting for mine, Neil.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, well, there's been there's been a mail strike. It must be there.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go, Pacific Frost on Saturday, Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So all are all the away games will be wearing a silver helmet right above the shoulder there.
Speaker 3: Wow, going back in time.
Speaker 14: That's the old school we used to wear for We'll get I'll get my Harlequinn and I'll get my you know, streetheart stuff going for Regina because that's the top of the top of the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're talking. Dolly was language here, although he's more of an eighties guys.
Speaker 4: Hey, what what is it going to be? How motivated is your team going to be because you have all sorts of returning players in Regina on Saturday, I would assume they're gonna unveil their Great Cup banner on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 14: It's gonna be good for our guys to see what it's like to, you know, be a championship football team. We were, we were close, but close doesn't count in professional football.
Speaker 3: You gotta be. You gotta beat, you gotta win, you gotta win.
Speaker 14: And so I'm you know, we're gonna be going into Regina. It's gonna be unfriendly, confined, Its gonna be a big crowd, and they're gonna be unveiling their Great Cup banner. But that's good for our guys to see because that's where we want to beat. So next year when Regina comes to us, we can unveil our banner too.
Speaker 4: What makes you confident your team has improved since last year's Western Final.
Speaker 14: I just think we're a little bit, you know, a little bit more experienced guys like Nathan, you know, unbelievably, he's gotten better. I mean I see him at practice all the time and things, the things he's doing were not things that he was willing to do a couple of years ago. And I mean that he's just more comfortable and the receivers are getting more comfortable to him. Him and Buck have been working since the season ended last year to you know, make this football team what it is. And so we're gonna live by our offense, and I believe our defense is a really well because they go against the best offense in the league every week. So you know what, we're ready. We're ready for whatever challenge has come. And it starts obviously this Saturday.
Speaker 1: And in Saskatchewan, Neil that you got the best offense in the league by a country mile. On defense, you probably gave up a little bit more points than you wanted to most in the West, I believe it was. Do you have confident the defense is going to be better this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm confident.
Speaker 14: I mean those guys again are a year older, they're they're a year aged, and then you know they know what's coming at them and they they also I mean, let's be honest, the offense is in the Canadian Football League right now are prolific across the board. I mean, you're you're not going to get you know, a bye week. But playing anybody, you're going to have to bring your a game on offense and defense and on special teams. And our guys know that they are prepared for it, and you know, we're ready for the challenges that await us this year.
Speaker 1: The new practice facility, How cool is it that the owner invested that money into that and we saw the video and the pictures looks spectacular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 14: I mean, I'm glad we had the bye week, to be quite honest, because you know what, I think they were a little bit overwhelmed in excitement, and so it was good to get just that out of the way.
Speaker 3: And now it's down to business.
Speaker 14: Now we're you know, starting not to say that the locker room's old hat, but you know, hey, we're in it, We're we're using it.
Speaker 3: It's all working well.
Speaker 14: So things are good and now it's time to get down to you know, get on the field, start winning football games, which is what we're gonna start doing on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, game's at BC place for a while. It's gonna be a while. Have you talked to the team about what that's going to entail. I mean, you guys had a you're very hard to beat at home at BC Place. Now you've got to play all these games away.
Speaker 14: Well, you know what, just like you said to me the last time we talked, you know, I keep on looking at the schedule you said the last time is gonna be tough. And you know what I looked at today, and it's the same schedule. Nothing's gonna change. You're not gonna get any breaks, so you're gonna have to deal with it. This is the schedule that we've been given and we're excited about, you know, playing this week, next week in Hamilton. Then we got two weeks two home games in Colowna. We get to show the country what Colonna is all about. As I said yesterday, it's exciting to go to Coloonna, except if you're a football team, you go there to lose. And our football team is gonna win. All the teams coming in are going to be having to deal with our offense, and obviously the crowd is going to be on our side. So hey, that's the schedule we got We're gonna deal with. We're just gonna, you know, do the best we can to get to championship level football this year.
Speaker 4: Five games away from Vancouver to to start out. Nine seemingly well balanced teams in the CFL, really smart and aggressive new commissioner and a terrific new media deal. What's your take on the state of the CFL, Neil.
Speaker 3: You know what, I've been in this league for thirty years.
Speaker 14: This is my thirtieth season, and you know, just the things I like about the commissioners that he's making changes and doing things that you know what, there's always been rumors and in years past, you know, things have been leaked, but these aren't being leaked. These are just being told to us by the you know, the commissioner, which I think those that means it's real. I mean, you know, look at when when Amar Doman bought this football team, no one knew who he was, and now people are saying he's the best owner in professional sports in Canada. So the fact that we're making these these news announcements and they're not being leaked and that that means they're real to me. So I like the I love the new media deal. I think it's great. I think it's you know that we obviously, you know, the the people have stepped up because they know that we have a lot of viewers. We have a great product and so it's nothing but good for the future for the CA and Football League and three down football in Canada, which is what it's all about.
Speaker 4: People know Omar because he's on this show in a regular Oh yeah, just show you know.
Speaker 3: Right, so I know he does now before that he was that he's on there already.
Speaker 4: And people know who you are because you're on our show all the time as well. Hey, in all seriousness, best of luck to see, Best of luck Saturday, Best.
Speaker 1: Of luck this season. Loving the nineteen ninety fourist silver helmets.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on. Guys, have a great show.
Speaker 4: You bet you bet Neil Neil macboy, good guy, PC Lions VP of Football Operations, Lions and Riders Saturday in Regina. I believe that's a four o'clock start our time. I got that right, Ryan, You've got some business. Absolutely, look at this.
Speaker 1: The world is coming to Vancouver in pastime sports and games. As you covered, when it comes to jerseys, scar other collectibles celebrating the beautiful game, there's never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada as a host country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For more info and store locations, visit Pastime Sports.
Speaker 4: Dots a laptop situations again in front of the laptop far right.
Speaker 8: These Panini World Cup sticker packs. Hottest World Cup item at the moment you put the.
Speaker 1: Stickers in a book?
Speaker 8: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, yeah, where do you get? They sell them a pastime as well. It's like a you know, it's it's the same field said yesterday. The power play very popular, very very popular, and I think there's a messy one that's like super rare anyway. Bernaldo Legends card in the middle, and then box of cards. Monopoly and Prism have combined for World Cup cards. It's like a trading card game. This is a booster box of those cards right there. I've got more memorabilia for the World Cup that I'm gonna unveil courtesy Pastime.
Speaker 1: Is it possible to go to break on the with the uh race Saroni commercial? Oh?
Speaker 8: Do we know for sure?
Speaker 14: We know?
Speaker 1: One sent to us San Francisco treat ron Ron from Chillo accented.
Speaker 8: Is this the one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You watched it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Did you watch it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 1: No, but I grew up with this commercial you did to San Francisco cable cards?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 4: Is there cable cards in this commercial? Yes?
Speaker 1: Ron and Chillo accented Ryan play it.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, there is a cable car at the end of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, So can we go to break on?
Speaker 8: This is from nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, well hold on a sec.
Speaker 4: We'll go to We'll go to break with it. Dtm Z is next. Uh, and of course not the sponsor of d TMZ. No, we're giving them a bonus, right, SERRONI to break DTMZ next. Don't even know the team?
Speaker 1: Jack?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Ron? Well, are you kidding me? There's no sound. You're not hitting the right button.
Speaker 4: There we go, there, here we go, There we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, remember we were talking about our preparations before the show.
Speaker 4: That they weren't that great. They could they continue? Okay, Riceeroni to break We're good rock and roll.
Speaker 13: I just tried the new I just tried to tour boner. Come on, let's tryumph one thing.
Speaker 1: Looking for. One of Victoria's most iconic stays, the award winning Waddling Dog, has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, their rooms blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, Waldwall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go stuck up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination sentence day. It's eleven thirty one on a Wednesday morning, Donnie Daglia on check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Whistler Golf Club. Go see big Al out there, A great track, Great track.
Speaker 4: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf Club, inviting golfers to stay up to date with Phase two of their golf course.
Speaker 1: Reno on Instagram.
Speaker 4: At was the Golf and just a reminder of the golf shop and driving range will remain open this summer.
Speaker 3: So nice.
Speaker 4: See if we can do better than the last segment. Oh yeah, I guess we should have checked that Race Aerroni commercial before we went to air with it.
Speaker 1: The ending was nice.
Speaker 4: Broadcasting tip for you folks out there. For the thirty year in a row, pizzeria spack A Napoli and Port Moody has been recognized by Gambero Rosso Global Authority on Italian Food, Wine and Travel as the highest ranking pizzeria ranking in Canada, highest ranking pizzeria in Canada.
Speaker 1: There you go. Spack A Napoly was the first pizzeria to receive a three.
Speaker 4: Speechy rating when it was included in the Guide back in twenty twenty four. Spackcnappole's success has to do Rick Listen with the adherence to traditional Neopalitan techniques making sure to use quality imported ingredients. By the way, spack Napoli, this is in Port Moody. It's on Saint John's, isn't it, Derek right. Spac Anapoli is reserving tables for every Vancouver FIFA World Cup match at BC Plays plus Canada's tournament opener in Toronto that's on June twelfth. This is this is This is unbelievable because I live in No, it's that's why Derek lives there too.
Speaker 8: Well exactly, And I'm sure Quinn would have been on board with this story today too.
Speaker 4: This is what a couple pies. I haven't been there.
Speaker 8: Sure, that's good.
Speaker 1: It's good, the best pizza in town. Well, according to this publication.
Speaker 8: Very interesting.
Speaker 1: It's one with giving a local, local, local business.
Speaker 4: A bit of a bit of a hug. Nothing, nothing wrong with.
Speaker 8: That, just very convenient.
Speaker 4: No you say this, I know either one of you was. I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: It's a local company, support them Ryan absolutly winning uh national awards and you want to just go ignore it completely. No, No, I think it's important we do we support our local businesses.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can get them on board sponsor that Napoleon style Napoleon right, yeah, pizza Neapolitan, I think.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, I think you're right. Yeah, it's good. It's also one of those where you feel like because you get you know what, you could just eat, eat, eat, eat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't feed a lot of food, like like like.
Speaker 8: Deep like a deeper dish pizza, you know what I mean. Like you have a few slices, you're done. When you you can have an entire pizza and you feel like you haven't eaten any I'm going to euro snob you right now.
Speaker 4: No, we went to we and landed in Rome and then you get right away, my boy orders a pizza, different style. We weren't in Naples, Okay, so it was it was different. So it was it was more cheesy then. I haven't been to Naples, but more cheesy than the pizza I've had at places.
Speaker 1: That served that type of pizza. Yeah. I could be wrong, maybe it's just that particular place, but it was very different.
Speaker 8: The euro snobby like you, and yet you that's.
Speaker 4: Where you are. I know, it's crazy, you know the people who like you know, and people know this. If you say you haven't been to Europe, like alarm bells go off, yes, and you get arrested and now yeah, and I hated that. You know, it's awful. You haven't been to Europe?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Have you been to Europe?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Of course, I've been to England three times. I whis what the hand over? The what do you want me to say? I don't like it, but I go there.
Speaker 4: You don't like England?
Speaker 1: No, I just you're a home so facets of the h of England, but said, no, I'm not going to elaborate, but the pubs are nice. Oh oh, and I and I did the double duck or bus thing which was nice. Yeah.
Speaker 15: See big Ben? Huh did you see Big Ben? This big man the clock? No, I haven't seen big blend Ben. I haven't seen big Whose Big Ben? But what what are you doing in London?
Speaker 4: London?
Speaker 1: I went to London. I've been to London. I don't think you have. It's okay, it's okay, it's okay. I don't mind it. I drove the subway, I did all that stuff. You what, Yeah, well, what's up?
Speaker 4: The tube?
Speaker 1: The tube? Yeah, the tube?
Speaker 16: They didn't drive it though you were on half Yeah yeah I didn't you were driving it. How could I drive the sub I don't know that said, I took the subway. Yeah, but it's complex, Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: And you said it it's called the tube, but I just called this subway. Okay, let's get out as many moons ago, let's get to birthdays.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: So you were how old were you when the when you were in the pumps age can't drink? Oh they're nice very nice pubs. I didn't like the food. But anyways, let's go bangers. Yeah exactly, and mash who's the sponsor here? Donnie and Dalli's backscratchers and dental philosophs. I don't think you've been to London. No, no, no, no, no, I've been there. I got evidence, I got photos. Balzac, Alberta is where this is? And here we go.
Speaker 4: Balls? Okay, well, the.
Speaker 1: Only reason I know it's because it's where's bal groundhouse? August. I'm not sure where's ball Zac?
Speaker 4: Billy is the is the groundhog? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not a city it is. Where is it though? I've never heard Alberta? Okay, but I've never heard about ball Sack? Anyways, you were off today. Just listen to me. This guy was the Islander's first round pick in nineteen eighty. Eighteen years in the NHL, he played a thousand games plus, representing Canada on numerous occasions, winning the Canada Cup three times. First three years in the NHL, he won the Stanley Cup named captain of Captain of the Islanders in nineteen eighty seven, when Dennis Potman relinguished the role. Nineteen ninety one, Traded to the Blackhrows for Steve Thomas and Adam Craignon. Helped the Hawks to the Stanley Cup Finals against Pittsburgh four times he went to the Cup finals. This guy, his son played for the Canucks. Brent Sutter. Brent Sutter current owner GM of the Red Deer Rebels. Friend of the show, A friend of the show, A great interview, by the way, all right, This guy was the second round pick of the Blues in nineteen eighty four. Played for Portland and Kabloops in the Western Hockey League. Two years with the Blues. Traded to the Kings, where he played three seasons. He would have brief stints in Philadelphia and Edmonton. Finished his career with the Florida Panthers. He was on that first Panthers team in nineteen ninety three. His son, Matt plays in the NHL right now. Brother played for the Canucks in the eighties. Brother was the gym of the Canucks day Brian Benny, Brian Bennie Yeah yeah, yeah, Jim's brother. Great hockey family, no kidding. And Ernie. Their father was a scout. Almer was a longtime scout the Montreal Canadian great great hockey family. All right, Jim Benny was such an incredible junior hockey player Portland Winter Rocks. But then he didn't translate into the Nay he rushed. He had at least rushed him over one hundred points as the defenseman in the dub Okay. This comedian gained prominence as a regular on Dave Chappelle's popular sketch comedy. Chappelle's show. Rolling Stone called him the undisputed heavyweight champ of the rage field Humor. Became the first comedian to perform at Fenway Park thirty five thousand.
Speaker 8: Oh, hold on, Bill Burr, Bill Burr, Bill Burr, Boston, Boston.
Speaker 1: That's fishy, that's Boston.
Speaker 4: How can you How does he not.
Speaker 1: Get Bill burn and you get Bill Burr?
Speaker 8: Igain't Fenway, Bill Burr. He's from Austin.
Speaker 4: It's not that hard.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit suspicial.
Speaker 4: It's fishy. It's fishy.
Speaker 1: It's fishy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And Bill Burrs did a really good job of acting as well.
Speaker 1: I can't remember the name of the Pete Davidson movie that he was in.
Speaker 8: Was that The Dad's Old Dad's The Long Island whatever?
Speaker 4: Something?
Speaker 1: Yes, but he was also Breaking Bad she was, Yeah, yes he was, and he was in that sitcom f is for Family Animated anyways, last one this actress. His first role in a big budget film was in Passenger fifty seven nineteen ninety two. Two Yeah. She filmed as a guest star in the series pilot NBC's wonder Woman. Wonder Woman. What a great show that was? What's her name? Wonder Woman's that the one that you and I knew?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, I remember hurting here good go go. You don't remember wonder Woman, but you don't either, okay, but what Ryan Google won the no ideas? Anyways, She would join the fifth season of Gossip Girl. She was the devil in the movie but dazzled. Come on, Linda Carter, Linda Carter, wonderful? Oh oh, growing up in the apes.
Speaker 4: That's not the answer.
Speaker 1: No, that's not Linda Carter. But she Linda Carter. Oh my goodness. Anyways, anyways, who didn't have a Linda Carter poster in the eighties. In nineteen ninety five, she was introduced as one to London. She was introduced as an est Latter spokesmodel. She stayed with Estate Latter for twenty nine years. She's the godmother to Victorian David Beckham's sons, Brooklyn and Romeo. Twenty twenty five, she was dating Billy Ray Cyris. Are you too serious? Are you joking me? Both of yea. She was in one of Austin Powers movies.
Speaker 4: Elizabeth Hurley, Leslieth Heurney.
Speaker 1: She dated Grant Hughes for thirteen years.
Speaker 4: You you grt?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you grt.
Speaker 17: But anyways U now, let me rephrase that she dated Hugh Grant for thirteen years. Okay, it's been a long day, Donnie Grant. No think that said she dated Grant Hughes for thirteen years.
Speaker 4: Keep saying it, It'll be right.
Speaker 1: You should be ashamed. You didn't know, Linda Carter, I know you didn't either, Okay, I I but wonder woman, six million dollar man. Oh, I can't believe. I much love you're getting, by the way for your totalla. What else is new? Unbelievable Elizabeth Hurley hours.
Speaker 4: Oh you're actually in two of them. Bonnie Tyler turned seventy five. Turned seventy five on Monday. Grand Us, I'm sorry, and she's gonna play this out.
Speaker 1: Hurry up. I got a Cough, Hurry Up from No. February seventy seven and the album Natural Forest.
Speaker 4: This is Bonnie and It's a Heartache on check playing the best of Wales on a BC Wednesday Morning. It's hard.
Speaker 8: Nothing but.
Speaker 6: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable safety on Tour experience at Safetyontour dot Ca.
Speaker 4: Is it just Me? Brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and garden equipment for free? Ope IC operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit opeic dot ca to get more info. That's oh, p e, I see dot ca.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Rick? What do you got?
Speaker 1: All right? Rick? You go on about getting Canadian players for the Canucks. Who gives a crap, let's worry about getting a winning team. Besides, the Canadian players haven't done good in the Worlds or the Four Nations. M sure, glad you don't have anything to do with four nation players. Yeah, four nations. So anyways, there's no name to this submission. But whether you think the Canucks should have six, nine or ten Canadians two is embarrassingly low. And I'll tell you something else. Every year the Stanley Cup winners got a good percentage of Canadian players on the roster. They know how to win, They provide grit, they provide a scoring that Canada provides. The Western Hockey League had more kids at the Combine in Buffalo than any other league. Uh, don so give me a break. And yes, the canuckity more Canadian players.
Speaker 4: Nothing wrong with the Canadian liking Canadian hockey players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Like I mean, give me a break.
Speaker 4: Uh, Mark and Langford is it just me, But I'm with Ryan Turterella's actor is getting all the four year old could have put that mic back in the stand.
Speaker 1: It's not his job. I don't know how technically proficient towards is. Yeah, but maybe he just wasn't sure what to do. But Derek made a good point. But thank you. No, No, that's a good point.
Speaker 8: He could have just held on in the mic. Then he put the mic down, the mic falls and he moves it to the side. He knows, he's smart enough to know you have to talk into a mic at a press conference. Come on, John, and you just put it to the side.
Speaker 1: Just a PR guy. He needs a PR guy.
Speaker 4: He's supposed to pick it up and talk. Yeah, if you claim he's not not come disconnected at that point, it's a white on this mic. It just falls out of the holder. Yeah, So then he picks it and puts it to the OK. I thought he had to connect it back, just put it back in the whole gate. You know what, I might take back what I said.
Speaker 1: Look at this.
Speaker 4: Disdain on his face, like, oh my god, this is all It's not that bad.
Speaker 8: You're right, it's not that bad.
Speaker 1: He makes it out just nit picking on to the whole time that subject. You got a lot of support Bob and Ladner.
Speaker 4: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Doesn't Jessica Campbell have a skating coach background as well? Possibly working with EP for forty and others that might work out? Again, that's Bob and Ladder added a couple of words in there.
Speaker 4: But again for people who are aware of this, there's this thought or report out there that there's a possibility that Cannucks are interested in former Seattle crack and assistant coach Jessic Campbell.
Speaker 1: But she does have a skating background.
Speaker 4: We mentioned Curtis Douglas if they extend him, and there's a there's a few players she could she could work with.
Speaker 1: I mean they have skating instructors. I get that, but that is a that is a food for thought from Bovid Ladder. Absolutely good submission. I shouldn't Douglas be a tap in for the Canucks. He addresses a roster need toughness and would be their defender or smaller players from being ragged. All Chris from Victoria with that submission. The only problem with Douglas is he an everyday player? Is he going to get healthy scratched. Is he going to play six minutes or nine minutes or eight minutes or seven that's the problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'd have to improve a lot in the summer. But again more food for thought, Gan Richmond, is it just me? Apparently a Dolly went to London before big Ben bills.
Speaker 1: I mean we didn't know what Big Ben? What you said, big Ben? I thought I was thinking the movie Big Ben. You've seen the movie. I don't think I have no he was in the sixties seventies? Am I thinking? John Wayne? I just stop big Ben? Maybe it was at Tom's video. I don't know, but anyways, look a Ballzac is just joking. Title Ballzach is North to Calgary, famous for cross iron mills, Mall Yukon Spenser with the goods on Ball Zach Alberta.
Speaker 4: Yeah, glad you cleared that up. Okay, a break, We'll wrap up the show. The poll question next Donnie del the team on check.
Speaker 1: Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life. OPEIC is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 4: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 1: All electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment capy fixed, it can be recycled.
Speaker 4: Whether it's a leaf.
Speaker 1: Blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC.
Speaker 4: Visit opeic dot ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's opeice dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Doug poll Rick brob get her up the waddling dog pop pole question. And it is concerning toughness and Curtis Douglas. Should the Canucks fill out their toughness void? How did they do it? With Michael McCarron signing in Minnesota yesterday? And look at this extend Curtis Douglas seventy nine percent, signed a UFA seventeen and then make a trade four percent. Exactly what I said before the show Curtis Douglas and was shot down by Ryan and big Ben.
Speaker 4: Big Ben was a movie, by the way, thank you. It wasn't the seventies. It was close twenty twenty four. Okay, are you thinking of there's no movie about a rat named Ben?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, yeah, yeah, there was a movie about a rat named Ben. P Seri said that, ah p Serie.
Speaker 4: Troy just said, remember the song Michael Jackson Ben Ben was a movie and was a song about a rat that Michael Jackson saying when he was a little kid.
Speaker 1: So there, I was a good song. Yeah, it was too. Right where we're going here, we got a photo. Oh happy birthday first. Oh yeah, I have to get this in Happy birthday to Brady. Watches our show every single day. Brady's wife sent that in, so happy birthday, enjoy today, Brady. Happy birthday, Brady, Happy birthday, Brady. Photos right where We're going.
Speaker 8: This is a tweet we got from our pal Bradley Green. He sent it to us early fathers. They gift from the family. First time getting the shirts and thanks to the team and Moreno, a good pal over there on the island for helping my wife get these. He also said, I was one of the first to get the new quarter zips. See there get the black golf shirt, the Great Golf shirt and the new Navy quarter zip on the bottom there.
Speaker 1: Well, we can't thank him enough for our the support.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, Bradley's He's a big supporter of us.
Speaker 1: He goes to the same gym as I do. He's a good guy.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder where people can get merchandise.
Speaker 8: Well, you get at the Wadling Dog in the Bay side, but also online. Our online store has all of our stuff, including those snazzy new are quarterships and the Bonnie hat.
Speaker 1: All right, where are we going? Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, one other photo here?
Speaker 1: Yeah we go, Dave? Is this from Dave and Harriet? Is it a photo of grand Hughes? Oh look at this?
Speaker 4: Oh I love this.
Speaker 1: I can watch this all day. That's the eighty two Canucks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he said he went recently went through a bunch of hockey cards and found a selection of them that he wanted to send to us with his D and D hat.
Speaker 1: So there you go. I see Ron settle bar Or top right. I see Jack mac mclehargy. Is that Jerry Minor top left?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: I think Richard Burda thinks in there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my goodness, takes your back. I love that good old days.
Speaker 3: What a show.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for tuning in Oaks on the.
Speaker 4: Aff of Rant Derek Rick Ran Hughes, everybody here and oh boy, check I'm don and you have to date in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.