Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is six oh five here Kentucky, this morning news. Happy Friday, everybody. We made it to the end of the week. And I feel like I have you ever I wouldn't call a secret, but have you ever had some information that isn't necessarily juicy, but you just want to share it with somebody because you think they may be surprised and somewhat interested like you were?
Speaker 2: Because I'm about to do that to both.
Speaker 3: Of you, guys.
Speaker 2: Oh you ready?
Speaker 3: All right, let's do it.
Speaker 1: What if I told you I had information that leads me to believe that Tony Cruz was up past eleven o'clock.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, believe it.
Speaker 1: I mean talk about quickly getting acclimated.
Speaker 3: Burning the midnight oil.
Speaker 2: I mean he may have had an all nighter. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean letting his letting his hair down in retirement pretty early, staying up past eleven o'clock and being active on social media. So, uh, he's adjusting and I'm I'm adjusting as well. It's been a it's been a it's been a week, been a fun week. But yesterday I felt like I had a breakthrough as far as just understanding how to balance out the early rising, but also not wanting to want to be a zombie the rest of the day. But you know that little quick nap, and I give Scott. I give Scott some credit. He encouraged me to take the nap and I would and I did, and it paid off for me because one I was able to be not you know, a zombie in the evening, and then I watched I was able to watch the game. I probably would have gone to bed had it been out of reach, but I stayed up late, got to watch the Pacers pull off the come from behind victory once again. So we're getting adjusted here, and we made it to Friday, which Friday's best day of the week in my opinion. I don't know if you guys agree, and if you don't, you're wrong.
Speaker 3: Friday's the best Thursday. And now we always you say Thursday is the new Friday too, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Thursday's the new Friday. Then basically the weekend is here. We are right now existing on a week within a weekend which everybody's working for the weekend. It's a song, of course, but also it's a saying for good reason.
Speaker 3: How many jobs, how many workplaces do you think are now in summer hours, now the Memorial days in the rear view, and then how many people actually like do anything Like most summer hour places are you work a half day on Friday and you go home.
Speaker 1: Or they have you there all day, but everybody just knows, yeah, we're only after lunch.
Speaker 3: It's for mailing you packed.
Speaker 1: It exactly seems like a collective understanding. And there are some jobs that you really can't do that because it's the same thing constantly. If you're working, you're working, and that's what you're doing while you're while you're on the clock, unless there's a break. But yeah, the cubicle office lifestyle. Uh, and maybe some are really getting after it on a Friday late in the afternoon, but if not, you're probably at least trying to make it look like you're you're getting after it.
Speaker 3: Right, So does that give credence to the four day work week?
Speaker 1: I wish we would get the four day work week. I mean, and let me ask you this. We had this conversation not that long ago on my previous show. If we went four day work week, would you prefer getting the Monday off or the Friday off? I think there's an easy answer, but I want both of your thoughts before I share mine.
Speaker 3: John, what say you, Bud?
Speaker 4: I feel like I go back and forth with this, but I would say the friday off, getting the weekend started sooner is probably the better way to go most of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's it's really just how you pipulate it yourself. And look, i'd be fine with either you want to give me Monday or Friday.
Speaker 2: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: But when the Friday is the is the day off the added day to your weekend, It's like you got there early, right, It's like it's it's like it's it's I mean, it's still a three day weekend regardless if we get it Monday or Friday. But if it was Monday, it would more so feel like we've just kind of been able to slightly delay the real world and getting back to the work week. If I'm getting out on a Friday and I'm off Thursday, I mean that then it officially becomes the new Friday.
Speaker 2: So I'll take either, but I would prefer the Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the bullet County just really came out Friday. If it's Friday, don't get your old train I've ready get you. I'm ready to get your Friday. Yeah yeah, I slipped up a and I still you'll you'll learn that over time. Sometimes it'll really come out and I'll just have to. You know, I'm pretty transparent, probably more so than I should be, but I'll acknowledge it when it does come out. But at one point I was talking Bullet County when John was my producer over on seven ninety and I referenced something about getting an oil changed, not an oil, but an oil changed out in Mount war Wasshington. And we've got certain words we say that, and I shouldn't say week because I'm sure others don't. Everybody's different. I'm only myself and I don't want to make it act like everybody else. Sometimes can sound like, you know, a hillbilly like I can.
Speaker 3: But well, anyways, the nice thing to your point is my wife and I discovered the four o'clock happy hour now and now that the kids are gone, it's awesome, I mean, and now we become because I've had to encourage her to do this. I like going to happy hour and sitting at the bar, of course, and that's where I like to eat. I like to drink. It took my wife a while to get there. She always wanted to sit in a booth, and I'm like, no, you know, this is our happy hour where kids are gone. We're sitting at the bar.
Speaker 1: Ben Eddie and I were talking about that at the end of the show yesterday, because I would never have predicted it.
Speaker 2: But we went out.
Speaker 1: My wife and I went out for our anniversary a couple of weeks ago, and we went to a restaurant where they had tables available, but they had opened patio and it was kind of like a big open win window. Therefore, you know, we weren't gonna sit outside, but if we sat at the bar, we would be closer to where the air would come in and a little more close to where we were seemingly having a patio dinner type kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So we sat at the.
Speaker 1: Bar, and we both realized that despite being directly next to each other, not really looking across from each other, we were it was more of like we were on a date together.
Speaker 2: We were less likely to be on our phones.
Speaker 1: But for some reason, if I'm at a table or a booth, I'm you know, not that we don't enjoy dinner.
Speaker 3: But Yeah, I love that feeling. It's a comfort feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, better vibes at the bar, and it's it's not even it's not even about just the booths. I mean, obviously that's you could do that at a table too, But yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 1: It's one of the perks of this new schedule. Maybe maybe a four o'clock happy hour.
Speaker 3: Right, Awesome, dude, I'm in bed by eight. I'm good.
Speaker 2: This job just keeps getting better. Good stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, we got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here on news Radio.
Speaker 2: Eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: It is six sixteen here on a Friday morning, Kentucky, and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty Whas. We've got another update of sports coming your way about ten minutes. Also, Mayor Kraig Greenberg is going to stop by around eight o'clock. So hang out with us and don't forget take us with you wherever it is you're going, whatever it is you're doing here on a Friday morning. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. This is something I want to hit on here and there throughout throughout the morning. And I don't know if you guys will find this as interesting as I did, but let's get into it. So somebody at Barstool Sports has put together a bracket that has which person uh with the has a breakdown of people who have the most fitting names. And some of these people I have heard of, some of these people I have not, and the ones that I've heard of. It makes me feel like a real dummy because I'm thinking, I never realized how I guess random it is that this person might have the perfect name for what they do. I'm gonna give you some of them. Okay, how about Yousain Bolt being a sprender his last name is Bolt. Would have never been like that, and he's he's really well known, probably one of the more well known names as far as celebrity status with all of these folks. But there is a guy who goes by the name of Bob Rock.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what Bob Rock does. No, He produces rock music. He's a legendary rock music producer, and his.
Speaker 1: Name is Bob Rock like his parents. His parents may not have known that he would just really really embrace that last name, but that's uh, that's what he did. There is a meteorologist named Amy Freeze. I mean, that's that's fitting too. I'm wondering some of these people change their names just because it's just doesn't you know.
Speaker 2: There's a guy who's a race car driver.
Speaker 1: I don't know this name, but it wouldn't shock me if Scott does Scott speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, familiar off the top of my head. A name sounds very familiar. I was trying to remember where I heard that now.
Speaker 1: And then I don't know if this is a celebrity or just just somebody that has probably gathered some attention just because it is wild to have this name as a firefighter. Firefighter, but how about less McBurney.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: And then there's a banker whose name is rich Ricci. I think that's I think r I see c I is at Ricci, rich Ricci, maybe that's how you say it. And then there's a a bartender who is I guess a celebrity bartender. He's participated on John Taffer's bar Rescue. He's one of those whenever Taffor says shut it down, and he yells, and you know, they make a big hole scene about it. He brings in his reinforcements. To help him clean it up, and he always goes to a bartender. I guess this guy has been one of them. But his name is Burt beveridge s name you never hear Beveridge is the last name. Yeah, nationality that is.
Speaker 2: That's got to be somebody changing their name, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Me. And then and then maybe there maybe this was a reason why uh the this there was a character with a Nintendo name this, but the Nintendo president's name is Doug Bowser.
Speaker 2: Isn't Bowser a character.
Speaker 3: Supervillain?
Speaker 1: It's got to be him, like just using his name to to you know, to have some affiliation with the big brand that is, you know, with the Nintendo Mari.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then this one again, this one makes me feel stupid because this is somebody at least I know who they are.
Speaker 2: Prince Fielder plays baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeup Fielder, Yeah, yep, Prince Cecil Fielder's son. And Scott Speed By the way, he was a Formula one driver. You also drove for the Indy Car in twenty eleven in the Arcis series. I knew that name sounded.
Speaker 1: I knew if there was somebody that might have heard of that name before, it would probably be you. I know you follow racing quite a bit. So, Yeah, my last name being coffee. It's not spelled like the drink for those who are unfamiliar. And my dad, believe it or not, for a time in his life owned a coffee shop. And I remember I was younger, and maybe I just you know, didn't maybe I remember asking him and it was a look he gave me of like, son, are you kidding me? Because I said, hey, hey, Dad, anybody ever ask you when they come to the store and it's random your name's coffee and you own a coffee shop. But he looked at me and he was like, yes, every single second of my life, people are referencing that my last name's coffee and he owned to coffee.
Speaker 3: You know, I mentioned that has a lot to do with the story you talked about earlier this week in Aliah Obama. Yeah, getting rid of her last name because she's probably tired of trying to explain. She wants to do things on her own. And I wonder how many people do that. That's I didn't know your dad owned to coffee sho.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did for about three or four years and it was fun. Yeah, a lot of work, a lot of I mean, I think things in our lives smelled like coffee for that entire time. Everything smelled like coffee that for that stretch. But yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: All right, we got another update of sports coming your way, but first let's get an update on traffic and weather right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is six thirty five here in Kentucky at his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. So, as you heard there, there's been a change to the requirements in order to obtain your driver's permit. So in March, Kentucky implemented this change where you can now be fifteen years old and get your permit, whereas previously it was it was sixteen years old. And this is different than when I was at that age, I think, Yeah, I'm pretty sure when I the day I turned sixteen, my mother took me to take a written exam and at that point I got my permit, and then six months from there, so sixteen and a half, I was then able to go back and take a driver's test in order to obtain my license, which I passed first time. Not to brag, just letting you guys know But anyways, what was it like you were you growing up? I'm assuming your first driver's license was in Michigan.
Speaker 3: Well, it was in the school sponsored a two week driver's ed course you could take when you were fifteen. That was in the summertime, and then local auto dealerships would donate cars to do this and they write them off as a tax and resell the In fact, Delta eighty eight was the first car drove. It was a tank, but you would do that. You're fifteen, you pass the course, you go to the state, they say, okay, here's your permit. You can roll with your parents for a year. You can't drive on your own. Minute you hit sixteen, boom, come and get your license. You're done. It was very simple. But when my son and my daughter took it here, I mean we got to go through this hole. You got to drive with your parents, you got to log your hours, and we just finally made up our hours.
Speaker 1: So there was a requirement as far as logging the amount of time you were but.
Speaker 3: It was on the honor system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we started writing stuff, but we were sweating it at first with our daughter. She was our first and then when my son came along, We're like, just write it in there.
Speaker 1: Well, John, you you got your license in Bullet County, just like I did. You were about ten years younger than I am. Was the situation for you much different than than how I just laid out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he mentioned Scott just mentioned the logging. So you get your permanent fifteen or excuse me, sixteen six months later get your restricted license. During that time you have to log those hours. You had to have I think forty daytime hours and ten night time hours.
Speaker 1: So when you're logging those hours, that's after you've obtained your actual restricted license. So that's that's where you're That wasn't the restricted license was? I don't believe it was a thing. Whenever I got my license.
Speaker 4: Then that time frame I believe was another six months, and then once that happened, I can't remember if the final test was before you got your restricted or after.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming it was after. But for some reason it's hazy for me.
Speaker 1: I may get myself in trouble here because I guess there's a chance there could have been some logging of hours necessary, but I didn't know about it.
Speaker 2: We didn't do it.
Speaker 1: But I do remember there actually being somewhat of a change right after I, because for us, it was simple when you got your license or when you got your permit, you could drive, but somebody had to be with you. And then once you passed your driver's test, there was no there was no requirement. But in that restrictor in the restricted license, isn't there a rule as far as how many.
Speaker 2: People can be in the vehicle with you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that makes sense. Yeah, there was a change, I think not long after I. I guess maybe we were such bad drivers my generation. They were like, look, we gotta we got to add some new layers to this, because we need to make sure these people, these young individuals, are better equipped to be.
Speaker 2: On the roadways.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the the drive, I was nervous, as can be, in both the written and in the in the actual driver's test.
Speaker 4: I failed my written test the first time. I weren't even called a written you was like on a little computer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, now I feel bad for making a poor attempted humor and bragging about passing, because no, I'm sorry, guys, I just did know.
Speaker 2: I would have said the same thing.
Speaker 3: I'm with John, I just did I didn't study. I mean, it was like, this is easy, I'm driving, and I studied way too hard. For the second time, I felt like, to.
Speaker 1: Those people that are with you on your test, do they realize the power they have in their hands? Did they realize how nervous everybody is. I mean, that's a powerful thing to not take advantage of, because when you're sixteen, all you want to do is get that license and be able to especially if you've been driving with your permit at that point you're ready to. I mean, there's not there's not many better feelings from my teenage years than whenever I became somebody with with with a license to drive by myself.
Speaker 2: I didn't do anything crazy.
Speaker 1: In fact, nothing really changed other than I was driving myself instead of riding with friends because most of my friends are older than me and they'd already had their license long before I did. I was last in line, so it wasn't like I was able to get places I couldn't get before.
Speaker 2: But you know, being on the open room, having that freedom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then how long did you realize, Hey, I wanted to drive and want to drive, and then like now you're like, man, I gotta go to the store. I gonna get my car and drive over to the store.
Speaker 2: My wife.
Speaker 1: We're taking the kids camping this weekend and we're leaving a little bit later today, and I'm sure if she offers to drive, I'm not gonna stop her.
Speaker 3: I hate driving in during the day day. I don't mind on the road, and we take road trips, but I hate driving during the day through town because.
Speaker 1: She'll just want me to be the drivers so she can say, all right, get him under control. If the kids start, you know, there's shenanigans in the back seat.
Speaker 3: Are we there yet?
Speaker 1: We've been on the road five miles. I'm sure sure that'll happen. But yeah, good stuff. All right, We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here on Who's Radio eight forty whas it is six forty six here at Kentucky Anda's morning news reminder coming up at eight o'clock. Mayor Kirk Greenberg is going to be stopping by. I look forward to to chatting with him. We've got another update of sports coming your way in roughly ten minutes. And I will say I of all the sports that I that I consider to be I guess the ones that I'm passionate about. College football is certainly up there. We are college basketball crazy around here and that'll never change. But obviously college football is still very popular as we are. Really our pro teams around here are the Cats and the Cards. That's the way it's always been. That's what makes us rare. So we're more so known for basketball. But I love college football, and what worries me is that it is turning into more of a popularity contest than actually, you know, a sport where you go out and realize the results ultimately matter, and that's what should matter. And the College Football Playoff expansion has easily been one of the biggest storylines so far this offseason. So for those who aren't aware, it went from a two team format in the BCS era to four teams. They did that for roughly ten years, and then last year was the first year the College Football Playoff expanded to twelve teams, and that won't last long because it sounds like by twenty twenty six they're going to have an expansion. Most likely it's sixteen teams. So the issue is that there's a lot of back and forth as far as how you determine not necessarily which teams take up the sixteen team field, but how you determine who is guaranteed, how many spots are guaranteed by conference, that kind of stuff. And what really worries me is that they're and I don't know if it'll end up happening, but the scenario where the SEC and the Big Ten secure half of the field automatically eight of the sixteen for SEC four Big Ten, if it's just a given that you know those spots are slotted for teams in those conferences before anybody has played a game, I can't tell you how dumb that is, to be honest, just in my opinion, But how can you guarantee spots? And again, you're not guaranteeing it to a team, you're guaranteeing it to members of a conference. But this is a hypothetical that will probably not play out. But what if one year the SEC and the Big Ten are awful in football?
Speaker 2: That probably won't happen.
Speaker 1: So maybe a poor analogy, but we're just going to say, Okay, well doesn't matter they automatically get foreign because that's what we agreed on. It just doesn't to me. Results should matter and there's no way around the fact that your brand and what you've done historically as a conference and as a program, it is going to be included with how people perceive you to an extent, but that shouldn't play any factor in actually getting a spot to participate in a playoff that determines the college football national champion. So, I mean, there's to me, it's just when you hear people mention things like we should, I don't think this will happen because I just refuse to believe this would ever we'd ever get to this point. But in these meetings that have taken place in the off season about the future of the college football playoff, it's at least been discussed that TV viewership should be part of the criteria as far as how you get in, and like that alone is it's I mean, that's the direct proof that it's not really about what you do on the field, what you earn, it's more about who you are, how many people watch you. It's a popularity contest.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's where I love Gino ari Ema and what he had to say about women's college basketball. It's right along those same lines. They parallel each other. Let's just call this what it is. Okay, let's stop pretending that we think Indiana football is going to win a national championship. And I love I love Signetti. I think he's a fantastic coach. He did wonderful things at James Madison. But Indiana was never going to win a national championship last year. And so you take teams like that because they're in the Big Ten, they're going to get a birth over someone who's probably a little bit more deserving, who can make a little bit more noise. But we can't predict that we often think we can.
Speaker 1: Indiana's schedule did not do them any famous last year, but they also played the two teams that played for the national championship the year prior, and it just didn't work out where those teams were as good. Now, I mean, we're learning on the fly here. As far as when you have this many members in the big conferences sixteen eighteen members in certain leagues, the SEC, the Big Ten have expanded, the ACC's now expanded, it is impossible for you to lay out conference schedules that are going to be even close to comparable as far as how tough they are. And that's that's not the team's fault that the schedule that they got handed ended up being what it is.
Speaker 3: Well, and see Michigan never was what they were that national championship here and they only beat Michigan by five points, but yet they took on Ohio State and they were blown out of the water. So that's to your point. We've got to find a better way to select these teams and have those auto bid.
Speaker 1: And trust me, don't I think the SEC has proven it's the best league. They'll probably still get way more in every year than anybody else. But just to guard just say that they gante it's guaranteed to them regardless of what happens if for anybody plays a game. Just I think that's it's silly, but we shall see. It'll certainly be a big continued storyline when it comes to college football this offseason. All right, your next update of trafficking weather right now, and also another update with Scott Fitzgerald on sports right here on news RADIOA forty whas