Speaker 1: It's Steven back on the show. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Britt, Hello, thank you you were here not too long ago to talk about your upcoming event, not Till Now, which I love the name for people who didn't necessarily hear the first interview. Tell people what you're doing at the Lakewood Cultural It's the Lakewood Cultural Center.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: On January twenty eighth, yep, the debut of Not Till Now is happening. It's an event where first take the stage and there will be eleven people myself included, doing something they've never done before. There's gonna be speaking, first time speaking, first time stand up, first time sharing a story that has been held for years. I'm gonna be doing the moonwalk in front of an audience for the first time.
Speaker 2: That'll be How did you choose the moonwalk as your area of expression? I mean, if we're gonna do if we're gonna do something where you know you're gonna like respond in interpretive dance, why the moonwalk?
Speaker 4: Well, so, I actually didn't have it planned until we were doing rehearsal. I came out dancing because that is what I'm going to do. And then all of a sudden, I'm like, I took off my boots and just started doing the moonwalk, and I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's I can only do it with socks on, so well.
Speaker 1: I can't do it at all.
Speaker 2: And I've been trying since Michael Jackson did it in the eighties. I still can't moonwalk. And now this new thing where the kids look like they're running on air, I can't do that either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what it is like. I can't get my feet to talk or my head to talk to my feet on stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So we talked before about how this all came about, and I got to tell you, it's like shades of you know, back in those old, old, old old movies with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, and they.
Speaker 1: Would be like two young kids and they'd be like, we've got a problem. What should we do? Wait, you put on a show? And then that's like the whole movie is then putting on a show.
Speaker 2: The entire theme of White Christmas. My favorite Christmas movie is.
Speaker 1: Let's put on a show.
Speaker 2: I don't think people necessarily jump to putting on a show as an answer to their problems anymore.
Speaker 1: Yet here we are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I am. You know, so I had been hosting.
Speaker 4: I've been hosting an annual event called Moms on the Mic, where women get up and some of them speak for the first time, and some of them come up for an open mic moment as well, and so over these last few years, I've been watching these women speak for the first time, and there's just something so breathtaking about watching someone in their first And ever since the first Mom's on the Mic, I've been thinking about getting everyone in a room, no matter what gender, no matter what role they have, and having them all witness each other and just be able to be themselves.
Speaker 6: And so here we are.
Speaker 2: Now you guys have been doing rehearsals. You just said rehearsal. So how's everybody coming along?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Is everybody getting you know, like getting their stuff done?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no.
Speaker 4: We rehearsed in the venue a few days after Christmas when everyone was still putting their stuff together. So it was it was really funny to be under the spot, i you know, with something that wasn't totally polished. But that is totally what the events are going to be too.
Speaker 1: But that's even.
Speaker 2: Better though, because I do think that when you and this is just my experience doing shows and being in plays and stuff like that, when you do those first few run throughs, when everything isn't done and you're not off book, you haven't memorized your stuff, you haven't finished your stuff. It is it makes it seem real in a way that inspires you to work hard to get to the final product.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for sure, Yeah, I definitely.
Speaker 4: And there's so much that goes into this stuff that people don't even realize, like just the time that it takes. You know, I'm going to be wearing a disco helmet and I didn't even realize that, you know, the silence that will be there when I'm taking it off and setting it down on the on the bar.
Speaker 2: Soctly does a disco helmet look like, Britt, I'm not familiar with the concept of a disco helmet? Is that so you don't hurt yourself doing the hustle?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 4: It's a motorcycle helmet with the mirrored that I bought off of Etsy because I was originally going to come out as an astronaut. But that's a whole other thing. Yeah, But then I came across this thing, I'm like, Okay, this is good. I can breathe in this, you know, because the astronaut costume I could not breathe in.
Speaker 1: But no, I'm just going to say this.
Speaker 2: If you were not intrigued by not till now, until now, you now know that at some point Britt was considering an astronaut costume. So really, as kind of anything goes that, we have a pair of tickets to give away, one pair of tickets. They are only like thirty tickets left, which is amazing for something of this sort of you know, chaotic nature and unprecedented nature. I guess I should say we have a pair of tickets. If you want to enter for the pair of tickets, you have to text us the most exciting thing that you ever did for the first time that is not sexual. Because I know that you twisted people in this listening audience will send me.
Speaker 1: About being in the backseat of the car. I don't want to hear about that.
Speaker 2: I just want to hear about the thing that you did, like the coolest thing you did for the first time that is not about sex. Text us with your name at five six six nine. Now I have one one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do. We talked about this before. I had no fear of public speaking, never have, even as a kid. Put me in front of a room, I'm good, I'm fine. But in two thousand and eight, I was pregnant with my daughter during the presidential campaign and Sarah Palin was coming to town and they called me and said, hey, would you MC this rally for Sarah Palin? And I was kind of agnostic on the Sarah Palin as a human being, but I wanted to meet her.
Speaker 1: And I was like, you know, because I'm.
Speaker 2: A big believer in meeting politicians in real life, so you can kind of get a vibe for him, you know what I mean. So I was really excited I was going to meet Sarah Palin and I was going to be speaking in front of about ten thousand people, which was the most people I'd ever been in front of at one time.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I got to tell you, I freaking loved it because so many of them were my listeners because Southwestword is so conservative, so there was a lot of crossover there. And when you sit in a room by yourself and talk to one person or no one. Sometimes for three hours you forget what that human interaction is is like you forget like the energy that you get from the audience.
Speaker 1: I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: I've never had the chance to speak as in front of as many people again. I hope to do it again at some point, but that whole experience was one thing that I would absolutely do again, even though I did not get to meet Sarah Palin.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm here for two hours.
Speaker 2: I was with the crowd for two hours, and then right before she was supposed to come on, they literally like shuffled me out the back door.
Speaker 1: The Secret Service.
Speaker 5: Did oh no, like dang it, of course.
Speaker 1: Dang it. Eh, William Bob sledded. That's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to ask you this and how much of this is you cheerleading and coaching and trying to help the people that are gonna get a stage for the first time to get over their fears, because isn't this kind of a fear based exercise a little bit?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, there's been.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot of text messages, a lot of encouragement.
Speaker 5: It's it is funny, but a lot of the men are like, oh, we're good, We got this, and the and the women are like, oh, help me, help me, help me, which is.
Speaker 4: It's so interesting because this is my first time putting on a show with men. And but then of course, like they're one of them said today, they're like, I am more nervous about because we're doing a second run through this Saturday, which just us. And he's like, I'm more nervous about that at this point than I am the show. And I'm like, I know, betimes, it is harder to do this in front of, you know, a small group or in front of people that you know, Like, that's been a hard thing too. Some of these really experienced speakers are sharing a story they have not shared before, and they don't even really want people they know very well to be in the audience in case they like crash and burn like that.
Speaker 5: It's so interesting to me, Well.
Speaker 2: You know, the fear of public speaking is deeply entrenched to you know, for many many people. Again I don't understand it because I have none of that. I just I just don't. But there's also something so incredibly powerful and beautiful in going full bore at something that scares you just about to death, you know what I mean. And the good news is is that whatever happens next Thursday night at the Lake With Cultural Center Wednesday, no Wednesday night. Excuse me, no one's gonna die, right Like, no one's dying from this. It's simply an opportunity for people to experience something they've never done before. Are you are there any that you're like this one is going to be an absolute like.
Speaker 1: Gonna crush it. Do you have like what you in your mind?
Speaker 2: Maybe the stars that are potentially sort of you know, perpolating on the surface.
Speaker 5: I don't, And I mean this. I totally mean this. I feel like they are all going to crush it.
Speaker 4: I really do Yeah, I'm so excited your ultimism.
Speaker 5: I really do mean that.
Speaker 1: So what are what is everybody doing?
Speaker 2: Like, give me kind of an over not not specifics, of course, but you have speakers who are telling a story they've never told before. My realtor, Ed Prather is going to be on the stage to tell a story.
Speaker 1: I've never heard before. Yeah, and Ed, you may not know this, but Ed was born.
Speaker 2: With one eye and you it's has absolutely no impact on how he does his job or anything.
Speaker 1: But I don't know the story.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of fascinating to hear that. What are the other things that are going to be happening?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so, but Ed's going to be doing stand up comedy for the first time and telling stories about living with one I and they are funny.
Speaker 5: I cannot wait for that.
Speaker 4: And then Naha man Hani she's falling in from California. She's going to be talking about overcoming this like freak illness that she had and then how in her healing she had the idea to finally.
Speaker 5: Write a book.
Speaker 4: And then Kitlyn Smith's going to be talking about her recent diagnosed with eighty HD and how she is rediscovering.
Speaker 5: Who she is now. And we're going to have Josh Schuman.
Speaker 4: He is a visual effects artist, but he is creating his first documentary ever, his first thing from start to finish that he's wanted to do since he was a kid, about his experience with the Foo Fighters.
Speaker 1: That's a cool experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so's he's got he's a super fan and he's got all these stories that people have always said.
Speaker 5: Like, you got to make a documentary, So he's finally doing that. And now, are any.
Speaker 2: Older folks do you have any folks that are maybe over sixty.
Speaker 4: Or getting close there. Yeah, yeah, we got, we got Liz. She's going to be talking about midlife and a whole story about her relationship with her breasts, a whole.
Speaker 1: Yes, get to know her. There you go.
Speaker 2: The reason I asked that is that I've been watching this woman who keeps popping up on my algorithms, and she is a hospice nurse, okay, and she talks a lot about end of life experiences and how people die and what she's learned in twenty years as a hospice nurse. And the number one thing over and over and over again in these videos is you know what people on their deathbed only talk about the things they didn't do. Yeah, And so you don't want to go through life having a life of regret, right, You don't want to go back. And there are things I will tell you. I mean, there's things I wish I had done differently. And I think that's different than saying, oh, I regret that. It's like, ah, go probably could have handled that a little bit better than I handled it. But I never want to look back and go, man, I never should have left that.
Speaker 1: On the table. And I think that's part of what this is what not till now is all.
Speaker 4: About yes, yes, And it's also one of those oh gosh, I'm like having like a moment like blanking out because I'm just so excited about it.
Speaker 5: But it's it's also oh man, you know.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 2: It's just this is the kind of stuff that I always encourage people. When I turned forty, I made forty my year of Yes, Yes, where whatever I got invited to do, I did it, and some of it I absolutely hated. I'm not gonna lie, I really hated it. But now I can say, oh, I've repelled down a giant skyscraper. I've done these things, so I know the things I don't ever want to do again. But without saying yes, without saying not till now, I said no, But now I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do this.
Speaker 2: I have a link to my tickets to the event next Wednesday night at the Lakewood Cultural Center. You can find that on the blog at mandy'sblog dot com.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna rip through these very quickly.
Speaker 2: It's so hard to decide who wins, so just get ready, because we have to decide who wins.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read these very quickly adam flying overseas to meet a girl I met online.
Speaker 2: At age sixty four, I ziplined in Jamaica, even though I'm terrified of heights. That from Barbara, Hey Mandy, I'm Audrey, and I went ziplining for the first time at fifty five, so afraid of heights, but loved it and proud of myself for conquering my fears.
Speaker 1: Hey Mandy.
Speaker 2: One time, in the back of a car, I decided to take a speech class as a freshman with all seniors. You want to talk about deathly fear. Brian says I valet parked an ambulance and they told me not to turn on the lights or sirens, but I did anyway, did my solo flight, proud and scared. Brandon Miller says, I went and participated in a random modeling edition off of Facebook. They actually picked me, but I couldn't afford the trip to California for the show.
Speaker 1: Went to my first.
Speaker 2: Broncos game at the Old Mile High Stadium and did the stonework on course field, and went to the first opening day Here's One. Hopped a freight train from Denver to Cheyenne back in seventy two you know, they don't really let you do that anymore. No freight train bumps anymore. All right, let's see here and the.
Speaker 3: Last one, there's a clear leader for me, which one I'm not going to say.
Speaker 6: I want to lead you guys, to lead the witness here.
Speaker 3: Oh, once we get through them.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I served lunch to Bob Hope.
Speaker 1: I like that one.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that was thing besides bull riding, wrote a tower elevator up the seventeen hundred foot Cumulus FM tower and DFW, that's scary.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go. I mean, I like.
Speaker 2: The ambulance one and I and I like the two women who went ziplining, because that's kind of.
Speaker 1: The big deal.
Speaker 2: But Adam also flew overseas to met a girley that online.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's kind of a Brandon participating in a random modeling Facebook. And then he also didn't get to go. Yeah, so which means he needs to go in the show to replace you.
Speaker 1: What, Brandon, you're the winner? How about that?
Speaker 2: We'll be in touch, Brandon, pick up the phone when someone calls it a rod. Now it's time for the most exciting segment on the radio. It's gone tell her what you have to yell in the world as loud as you.
Speaker 1: Can in the world. Not that, but absolutely no knowledge up front of the day. That's how it works. Okay, BRIT's playing with us. And what dad joke of the day? Please a rod?
Speaker 3: My sister said I was being immature. I guess she isn't getting her nose back?
Speaker 1: Wow? Wow?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is our word of the day.
Speaker 5: It's a noun an abeyance.
Speaker 6: Okay, guess what it means, Brett, what do you think.
Speaker 5: A bayon obayon a b e y a n C.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's like a right of way thing, but I don't think that's right.
Speaker 3: Is a thing?
Speaker 6: No, finding a law or a rule? Uh No?
Speaker 3: A formal word that is almost always used in the phrase in abeyance to describe something in a temporary state of inactivity.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know legally in there that's a that's a contract term. Today's trivia question very simply, in what country did the sport of bob sled originate?
Speaker 1: I was just Norway? You no, not Jamaica. Were you gonna say Jamaica?
Speaker 6: Turkey?
Speaker 5: This is why I didn't want to do this, because I'm.
Speaker 6: Shocked jeopardy yet I said Turkey, No, Switzerland.
Speaker 2: I should have get that well. Sleds have been used for transport for centuries. The sport of bob's led was invented in Switzerland in the late nineteenth century when the Swiss attached a steering.
Speaker 1: Mechanism to a toboggan.
Speaker 2: The world's first bob sled club was founded in Samurtz Was, Switzerland in eighteen ninety seven.
Speaker 6: Right there you go.
Speaker 1: What is our geopardy category? Now, Brick.
Speaker 2: You have to say your name to answer the jeopardy category, say Brick, and then you have to answer in the form of a question. Okay, answer correctly, you get one. If you answer incorrectly, you get minus one. Okay, I will wait until the end of the question. Out of courtesy to our guest, you do not have to wait until the end of the question if you think you know the answer.
Speaker 6: And have no fear.
Speaker 3: Mandy is three and two so far I'm killing so she's around five hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fittingly, the category is first Things First, okay, Okay. It took six tries, but in two thousand and two Steve Fawcett became the first man to fly solo around the world in one of these. So I'm talking about flying thing. Yeah, I'm gonna give you a hints. It's not a plane, I know. Just can you fly around the world in really cool?
Speaker 1: It's a world?
Speaker 6: Yeah, here comes the next hint. Around the world in eighty days star.
Speaker 1: What is a balloon?
Speaker 6: What is hot air balloon?
Speaker 1: But I don't know what it is.
Speaker 6: We'll give you a half point. No, we're not okay.
Speaker 3: In nineteen thirty five, drivers in Oklahoma City became the first to feed these a nickel in the slot.
Speaker 1: Mandy, what's the slot machine?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, ummmm, think Britt. Drivers to feed these a nickel in the slot? These are hard.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I have no idea what.
Speaker 3: Our parking meter? That's okay, it's still it's zero zero. We're tiede We're tied. Produced by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the first ones of these in rolls were issued in nineteen o eight. Mandy coins wrong, what frit might win with nothing? That's okay, I was unless you know it. Andy's got minus one? What are stamps? Oh? Geez, okay, so there are two more, Britt, you're ahead zero to minus one.
Speaker 5: Okay, so not answering.
Speaker 6: Really, hell, it really does sometimes still in operation.
Speaker 3: The world's first pay one price theme park opened in the US in this state in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 1: One pay one price theme park.
Speaker 6: What state did open in nineteen sixty one?
Speaker 5: He one, California? Did you say your name the brit California?
Speaker 3: Wrong? Oh?
Speaker 6: Thank god? That is Texas, all right? So that is minus one to minus one point wins? Okay. In nineteen sixty.
Speaker 3: Seven, Carl Stokes defeated Seth Taft to become the first black mayor of a major US city, This city.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I'm not going to guess you two well, And.
Speaker 6: What is Cleveland to a tiebreaker?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yum?
Speaker 6: Candy is the category? Get this one? Okay?
Speaker 3: Some of this company's fine chocolates are embossed with its naked lady on a horse leado. What is a dive?
Speaker 6: You didn't wait till the.
Speaker 3: End of the question, though, Oh so we're gonna go the next time.
Speaker 1: The end of the question.
Speaker 3: You started to say it before I finished. Oh my gosh, let's go to Still Young Candy. In nineteen ninety seven, this candy introduced a female character Who's Green?
Speaker 6: She called her autobiography, I melt for no one.
Speaker 1: Mandy, what are eminems? I'll see you next Wednesday night at Not So Now. Thanks for coming back.