Speaker 1: Little after ten o'clock on a Thursday means Cops Rock Dave Jennings, the floor is yours, my friend.
Speaker 2: YEP weekly is showing you the good work that our men and women in law enforcement. June there's a theme to this week's stories. Let's go to Washington State. A thirteen year old dog named Jeita saved her eighty four year old owner's life after he fell and injured his leg at his rural cabin.
Speaker 3: So the dog saved the eighty four year old.
Speaker 2: Yet the dog walks to a nearby road sits in the middle of it until she caught the attention of passing Steven's County Sheriff's deputy. When GDA wouldn't get into his patrol car, the deputy became concerned. After searching homes in the area and finding nothing, he returned to the pup and she led him down a nearbay path. Nearbypath to her injured owner in the cabin, he heard the elderly man calling for help. In addition to his leg injury, the men had been unable to take his essential meds for several hours and was an urgent need of care. According to the Sheriff's off as the timely discovery of the injured man likely prevented a tragic outcome.
Speaker 4: Stop it.
Speaker 3: This is Lassie, It.
Speaker 2: Kind of is. It is a story of Lassie made Timmy stuck in the well.
Speaker 3: Do we know what kind of dog it was?
Speaker 2: Nope, just Gena thirteen years old.
Speaker 4: My dog wouldn't have given up anything. My dog was just going no.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen him, No, no, no, go away.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Good on the cop and good on the dog.
Speaker 2: Following massive flooding caused by hurricanea Leen, a dog named Athena in Tennessee was found and rescued twenty feet up in a tree last Wednesday. The Kingsport Fire Department, along with the Murphreysboro Police Department, located Athena in Washington County near the Nola Chucky River.
Speaker 4: That's a good river.
Speaker 2: That's a country song, right, Nola Chucky. She was initially spotted by police dog canine Ki, who led rescuers to the tree. Her handler, Officer Angela Alexander, shared how proud she was of her canine partner's action during the rescue. You safely down and brought to her owners, who had their home swept away and feared their dog had died, overjoyed to be reunited with Athena.
Speaker 1: So many stories of pets and the police in th last three or four weeks with Helene, and of course now Milton. It is these these dogs are just they don't know what to do. The cats and everything else, all these all these animals. Man, they're trying to figure it out. And of course, thank God that this hurricane wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be.
Speaker 2: It yeah, and this one will kind of make you go m So. As Hurricane Milton was barreling toward Florida, many people, of course evacuating, grabbing their valuables, but one person left something behind, their dog. Florida Highway State troopers came across a frightening scene just north of Tampa, a helpless dog tied to a fence along I seventy five.
Speaker 4: Oh my lord, on not.
Speaker 2: When they found the people they know They found him yesterday morning. Floodwaters had already reached his stomach. Oh damn it, and it was still several before the hurricane was expected to make landfall. The troopers found the defenseless dog, barking as the water crept higher. They rescued him in the nick of time and on social media said do not do this to your pets.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 1: You have to be there has to be a mental there has to be something mentally wrong with that person that would leave a dog that was tied to at least get give the dog a chance.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing we grab are our dogs hid second. Yeah, well cops, rock Man saving dogs everywhere.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 7: Rock I can't believe it's the sixteenth annual. It's sixteen years. I want to welcome to the studio actor Conrad Bachman and also Lance Burton.
Speaker 4: What do I call you illusion this magician? What I'll call you a.
Speaker 6: Lance Burton Master Magician. List is the official Tider.
Speaker 7: Lance Burton Master Magician. But you know what I'm gonna do you one better? Lance Burton south in Legend, that's right.
Speaker 6: He's grew up in Shyly, that's right. You go to Butler, graduated from Butler High School. There you go Western Junior High. Alright, and happy to be And now I spent well, I spent forty years out in Las Vegas music show.
Speaker 7: Yeah his back now, yeah, his little magic hobby didn't work out, So he's now he's going to try his hand in filmmaking, and I want to talk. I want to talk about trying your hand in filmmaking or being successful.
Speaker 4: But I gotta ask you. Arguably one of the greatest magicians ever all the time.
Speaker 7: And the story I get is, you're a South End guy and you pack up your car, you drive out to California. You say, I gotta get a break somehow, and you stand outside Carson's Gate where he comes in to do the Tonight show and you do tricks there and magic until he noticed you, and he goes, I want you to book the guy, and then he winds up booking you multi dates in a row and he's never done that before. Is there any truth to that? Is that just South End?
Speaker 4: Fu?
Speaker 5: There much better stories? Oh you couldn't story?
Speaker 4: Is that just south in folklore?
Speaker 6: I think so?
Speaker 3: Well, some of it's true.
Speaker 6: Okay, I did pack up and drive out to Los Angeles, but had I had two weeks work waiting for me. When I got nice, I was I was booked to do a show that was put on by Bill and Milt Larson, the two brothers. These guys are the guys that founded the Magic Castle out in Hollywood, California. They were both writers and producers in the TV industry, but their true love was magic. So once a year they would do a big public show in a theater They're in LA and they would bring magicians in from all over the world. Was a very prestigious show to be on. So the year I did it was nineteen eighty one. I was twenty one years old. They hired me to come out and perform on the It's Magic Show.
Speaker 4: Now, typically.
Speaker 6: One of the acts from the show, because this is a two week run they want to sell it out. Typically they would get one of the acts on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 6: Now, the year I did it, the star of the show was Aldo Richiardi, great illusionists from Peru. He should have been the guy that went on the Tonight Show. But they called up the Tonight Show and they said, oh, we're doing our It's Magic Show. We want to get our big star, Aldo Richiardi, who's this great illusionist from Peru on the on the show and the Tonight Show says, oh, we just had Doug Henning on last week doing illusions. What else do you have? And so now they go, well, we got this young kid from Kentucky who does this sleight of hand magic with with birds and cards and and he just won his first international award in competition.
Speaker 4: Will take him.
Speaker 6: So I get out there and they informed me that I'm on the Tonight show. So so this is of course every young intertainment dream yes to launched their career on Johnny Carson.
Speaker 7: I got to think of the dreams last nightmare. I can't imagine the press. No, it is a twenty one year old. I can't imagine the pressure.
Speaker 6: But go ahead, Well, but I have to explain even though I was young, I was twenty one, I had I had a thousand shows under my belt for strangers because growing up in Louisville, I worked cheap. I worked at clubs all over town.
Speaker 3: For children, whatever you're doing.
Speaker 6: In the summertime, my buddy Matt King and I would go down would go down to Cumberland Falls, Kentucky. There was a theme park down there called Tombstone Junction Western you know, like like Guntown Mountains or Stone. And they had gun fights and they had a train and in the saloon they had a magic show. And that was in max So we were doing three shows a day, seven days a week, all summer long. Oh so when you when you when we were like nineteen or twenty years old. So I spent three summers down there. So when you're doing twenty one shows a week, yeah, your act really gets smooth, gets good. So I had all that under my belt. So by the time I got out to LA the act was even though I was young, the act muscle memory was in muscle memory. So even if you go on a show, you know, as big as that, as big as that, your your body just sort of goes into muscle memory.
Speaker 7: Exactly when we're talking about cars. In the time you did that, there's only three four networks. I mean, that's a big deal. That's a lot of pressure network.
Speaker 6: This is before the Fox Network and Lansburg's your real name William Lance Burton, Okay, so you got to Yeah, I use.
Speaker 5: My real name.
Speaker 6: And the reason I go by my middle name it was apparently a family tradition. Yeah, that's my grandfather was William Taylor Burton, he went by Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: My dad was William Jerry Burton. He went by William.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did say. My father, me and my son, we do the same exact thing.
Speaker 6: Every other generation is supposed to go by the middle.
Speaker 4: I got to chase the squirrel and that I want to get back to the cars.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, did you ever think about changing into something? You riding on your talent, but you're thinking, should I need some possess?
Speaker 6: Lance Burton turned out, turns out my mom my dad, they were pretty smart. I mean they weren't in show business. But but Lance Burton is only what nine letters?
Speaker 3: Yeah, L A n C.
Speaker 6: You are to eleven letters?
Speaker 2: Close, eleven letters you made to disappear.
Speaker 6: You you want to go, You want you want your name to be as short as possible, because why anybody marquee the letters can be bigger on the market. Yes, so the best in show business is okay? Anybody best name of show business?
Speaker 5: Share letters?
Speaker 6: Four letters?
Speaker 4: I want to chase the squirrel.
Speaker 1: I want to what about mister t T new winner.
Speaker 4: So I also want to talk to kylerad Burton.
Speaker 7: He's been in everything, Mayra, he's adopting me. I just got a shorter name, bigger letters. I want to talk to Kyrad Bachman here in a bit too, because he's been in everything.
Speaker 4: But he's to announce what you're not in.
Speaker 7: But I want to chase the squirrel on UH on Mat King because Matt King, I'm actually friends with him, and he's one of the funniest guy's, funniest acts you've ever seen. You got to go to Vegas the scene.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: I saw Mac at tom Soboll's UH Celebration of Life and he was doing well.
Speaker 4: But the story I get is that was your call.
Speaker 7: You reach out because you know Matt King, and you say, you know what you're doing all these club you're doing these club dates.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, Mac Mack. In the eighties, him and his wife were living in Los Angeles. He was he was on the road forty weeks a year doing comedy clubs and and I was the one that talked him into moving to Las Vegas. And I said to him, Mac, look in Vegas, we have an airport. Okay, so you can still do the comedy clubs, but I think you can get work here in Vegas. And Jennifer, his wife, was a therapist, and I said, Jennifer, we have a lot of crazy people.
Speaker 3: It's Vegas, so it's a.
Speaker 6: Win win every study. So they moved to Vegas eventually, and he's got work, and now he's been he is now the longest running headliner.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: Wow, And I got to tell you it's an incredible show.
Speaker 4: It's a hilarious show.
Speaker 7: I want to get back to Carson real quick because so you get on Carson, but is it true or is this South End folklore?
Speaker 5: As well?
Speaker 4: Then he extends you out and put you on even more dates.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what happened.
Speaker 6: Okay, the talent coordinator comes to see my act the night before. I'm on the preview night of the Its Magic Show. So he comes backstage after the show and I meet him and he says, yes, that's very good, we'll have you on tomorrow. How long is your act? I said, well, it's twelve minutes. He says, well, you can't do twelve minutes on the tonight show, but bring the entire act with you to the studios tomorrow for the rehearsal. Do the whole thing in rehearsal. We'll figure out what you're gonna do on the broadcast. I said, yes, sir, I show up the next day, I do the rehearsal. After the rehearsal, I'm standing there on the stage talking to the stage manager. I see a hand coming towards me out of the corner of my eye. So I turn, I reach up, I shake the hand, I grab it.
Speaker 2: I look up.
Speaker 6: There's Johnny Carson.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: So we chatted for just very briefly a minute or two. He was very nice, very complimentary. Now you know, he was a magician.
Speaker 3: I did not know that drummer before he was a stand up comic.
Speaker 6: He was a magician as a teenager.
Speaker 4: I mean, and I do not know that. Sorry, sorry, sorry.
Speaker 3: So he's and he is not a slouch.
Speaker 6: I mean, I've seen videos of him. He was very good. So he goes away, and about two minutes later, the talent coordinator coordinator comes over and says Lance, Johnny was watching the rehearsal. Johnny said, let the kid do the whole act, the whole twelve minutes. So they put me on twelve twelve minutes on the Tonight show, which I told is the record. I guarante the longest spot anyone ever did on the five minutes twelve minutes.
Speaker 3: Think about it on national National TV.
Speaker 5: That's a long time.
Speaker 3: That's a long time.
Speaker 6: So they put me on as the first guest twelve minutes Johnny Carson. At the end of my act, Johnny Carson forces them to cut back to me to give me a second bow.
Speaker 4: Oh man.
Speaker 6: And then the next guest was Dick Caviott. Dick Cabot was also an amateur magician when he was a cop. It so the next segment, Johnny and Dick Cabot sit there and talk about magic and about my act who it was the greatest launching pad anyone ever had, and I'm forever grateful to Carson. And as a as an addendum to the story, of course, Johnny. We lost Johnny several years. In two weeks though, I'm going up to Nebraska, the Johnny's hometown and the university where Johnny donated too, and we are doing a special show me and several other acts that got their start on this night show, and we're doing We're doing some shows up there to celebrate Johnny's ninety ninth birthday.
Speaker 3: Oh that's well, okay, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Conrad Bachman, Well, I.
Speaker 5: Did the Carson Show and I got twelve seconds, But.
Speaker 4: That's all you needed.
Speaker 7: What Conrad Bober what would be easier to name the movies you weren't in?
Speaker 8: How many movies were you in? Oh, God war in Oh? Probably thirty five forty films? Show Just a kid from Louisville.
Speaker 7: You go to Valley High School, Valley Highs. The really crank him out, don't they. I mean, because there's been some other famous actors and performers.
Speaker 5: Out of there.
Speaker 7: There is really really well yeah down Tony Land Dawn Uh went to Valley?
Speaker 5: Yeah, ton or.
Speaker 3: Dawn did Yeah Down went to Valley High. Orlando and Dawn the Dawn went to Valley.
Speaker 5: I think you're making You're trying.
Speaker 3: To do a magic making that up.
Speaker 4: Lance. Don't get out of here until I'll show you my I got your nose trick.
Speaker 5: I love this.
Speaker 4: I'll bet you twenty bucks.
Speaker 8: No wait, man, I'm gonna interview you two guys because I don't remember Tony Orlando going to Valley High School.
Speaker 3: Cor Damn?
Speaker 4: Can you stick Can you Lance stick around?
Speaker 7: We're gonna we're gonna play a game called uh really in the years and then more.
Speaker 4: I want to interview you and talk about the film festivals.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, all right, you do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, Ground to ground bringing in lunch bargain supply East Jefferson's Street. I got all my appliances from them. You want to get them also because they do scratching dent to their brand new appliances, but they'll scratch on the side you Saveney and Bucks. The guys that work there, the ladies and gentlemen that work there at the Appliance Center, have hundreds of years of experience. They've been there for one hundred years. They have their own parking lot. So go get all your appliances. They have everything from air filters for your home to Halloween decorations. I love this place and tell the ladies at the front desk hello when you come in, because it's the same lady's been there for decades. It's bargain Supply East Jefferson. Streak at your appliances and everything else from them.
Speaker 2: And now you can see the scratches because you have new glasses.
Speaker 3: Vision.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Vision firstiicare dot com. Go to the website and get an appointment. It's basically an MRI of your eyeballs and then it takes forty seconds to do that, and then you can look at a three D vision of your eyes both all the way around. It's crazy, all the way back to your brain stem. It is crazy, and the doctors will recommend whether any glasses or not. And then they have these fashion forward folks that can pick out those frames for you. So vision firstcare dot com, Vision firstiicare dot com. Back after this news radio eight forty whas all right, it's really in the year's time. I heard you lost yesterday by five years.
Speaker 7: Oh no, you know if you played the tape back, I nailed the year. But the hot country singer's up with ninety seven.
Speaker 4: So I went about the hot country singer.
Speaker 2: Blame the woman, typical Dwight blame laston.
Speaker 7: We have award winning actor Conrad Bachman in here, and master magician and Lance Burton.
Speaker 4: I'm going all in all my money right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Dave will play songs we will in these. These all charted this week.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 3: We have to guess the year. All right here, but let's go here we go.
Speaker 2: Not as big as song, which is why I'm playing it, but it was in the top twenty back in the day. Boskaggs, look what you've done to me.
Speaker 4: We're in the seventies.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. I'm not about skags gut.
Speaker 2: So that's why he doesn't do ballads even No, no, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I can't. This is no help.
Speaker 8: I'm still working on Three Little Fishies and the Mama Fish.
Speaker 2: And no help there. This might not do it either for you. Carly Simon.
Speaker 3: Seventies, late seventies, deep cuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's late late seventies, early eighties, top twenty, not deep.
Speaker 5: Well, this is.
Speaker 4: Excuse me. I've never heard the world in my life.
Speaker 3: I've never heard the song in my life.
Speaker 7: Okay, seven, you will start to this will start seventy seven, Lance Burden.
Speaker 2: This will start getting familiar. Now, he's so shy. The Pointer sisters.
Speaker 6: Ah, yeah, yeah, he's so shy, he's these These are all the same years, yeah, same year. Yeah, yeah, Scott, it's Scotta.
Speaker 1: This is late seventies, late seventies. Yeah, this is late seventy sound graduated.
Speaker 6: High school in seventy eight.
Speaker 1: It sounds like seventy eight, seventy nine. Yeah, and it's a disco was seventy eight, seventy nine eighty right.
Speaker 3: So this was I like seventy seven.
Speaker 6: The beadche what year did Saturday Night Fever seventy eight, seventy eight?
Speaker 2: All right, no help, next song, Okay, he's so shy. A country song on the charts back in the day. Johnny Lee is looking for Love.
Speaker 4: In all the Wrong place.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is oh.
Speaker 2: Or, as Buckweight said on SNL looking to it was.
Speaker 3: In Urban Cowboys Urban Cowboy.
Speaker 6: Okay it wasn't.
Speaker 1: I'm still working on the Four Freshmen. Conrad is yelling stuff about a right No, okay, so this was after Urban Cowboy. It was after Saturday Night Fever. Yeah, yes, so seven half Fever.
Speaker 3: Was seventy eight. This has to be seventy nine or eighty.
Speaker 6: Or I thought it was seventy seven. I thought Saturday Night Fevers.
Speaker 3: It might have been seventy seven. I'm pretty sure it's seventy eighth though, and all the wrong place. I like Eddie Murphy's version of this.
Speaker 6: A Deborah Winger in the film, Yes, yes, riding the cannibal horse.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, remember that scene.
Speaker 2: Okay, two more songs. Hopefully this will narrow it down for you guys. It's a lot of letters for the Marquis. But Barbara streisand Woman in Love she still made it work.
Speaker 3: Either one of you ever met Barbara streisand.
Speaker 2: MTV video for this one features Roger Dalton.
Speaker 6: Have you ever met Barbara Streisand because I've never met her, I called it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she fascinates me.
Speaker 1: She's uh no, yeah, giving me fakman's giving me the shake off. No, no, no, now.
Speaker 8: Jim Browlan and Richard Roundtree and I used to do cigars together.
Speaker 4: Shaft huh wow.
Speaker 5: Oh that's my best buddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah man, Richard round Tree, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm missing he just passed away. Yeah, alright, watch it Derby.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm saying. I'm saying seventy nine. That's where I'm on.
Speaker 4: Well, hang on, you got more songs.
Speaker 2: One more, the number one song October the tenth back in the day. This hit multiple charts Pop Rock, Urban.
Speaker 3: One bites the Dust. This is.
Speaker 4: Nineteen eighty that even.
Speaker 3: This is nineteen eighty. Another one bites the Dust.
Speaker 4: All right, lock it in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm in nineteen eighties, are answered? Dave Jennings.
Speaker 2: Queen's another one.
Speaker 8: When I'm sitting there in the movie house watching Officer and a Gentleman, I guess you think came in and sat down in the cherry high Richard God, Buzzy Bob Selverty just shut down behind us all.
Speaker 4: Here we go, Here we go. Locke is in nineteen.
Speaker 2: Eighty Queen another one bites. The desk was number one October the tenth, nineteen eighty, nineteen eighty.
Speaker 7: I did say, we couldn't have done this, We couldn't have done it without Conrad Bachman.
Speaker 4: That's right, thank you.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about the trendeers.
Speaker 4: I stick around news and then we're going to talk to Conrad. Hey, Henry's sparky k.
Speaker 6: They were playing Vegas when I got there.
Speaker 3: The tiers back after this news rad w.
Speaker 1: H s.
Speaker 7: Oh pilot, there's Radio eight forty w HS. I'm Dwight witting right, there's Tony Vannetti.
Speaker 2: You lose weight just listening to this song.
Speaker 5: Yeah, old Zippech.
Speaker 3: I'm stuck in the South End talk.
Speaker 5: I went Valley. That's right.
Speaker 4: Three three listen, we have the south we fully represented. We start.
Speaker 5: Be careful when you talking about valley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me you know what I always say, Hey, how do you know somebody's from the South End?
Speaker 3: How do you know? Well, just they'll tell you.
Speaker 4: Let's tell you in thirty seconds. As I got as I got.
Speaker 6: To act, just wait, don't tell you?
Speaker 7: Is it going to actor Conrad Bachman. It's been in so many films, so many projects. I mean, you're you're so recognizable, You're from louisvill, Kentucky, and then you start this film festival sixteen years ago.
Speaker 5: Sixteen years ago.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just wanted to give something back to my hometown because my hometown gave me so much.
Speaker 7: And boy did you because it really sells what you sold out on. This is still way to get in.
Speaker 5: I mean it's we're sold out. Wow, we are totally sold out. Well it's Lance's fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yeah, once again Lance, same the magician.
Speaker 7: Yeah, once again Lance Burton's little magic thing didn't work out, so you just try his hands in filmmaking.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that.
Speaker 5: Burton.
Speaker 1: You've been doing this h festival a while, a couple of years, sixteen years, sixteen years, sixteen.
Speaker 5: Years to start, seventeenth year.
Speaker 4: Does Louisville.
Speaker 7: Does Louisville need more venues for this? Because I think it does. I mean this is something to be grown.
Speaker 8: Well, we haven't use we do it in Muhammad Ali and then we just started sports as part of the festival and we're at Slucker for that, so we still screened films.
Speaker 5: It's Slucker too.
Speaker 3: He's international. So this is all of it. I mean this.
Speaker 8: We've got films from all over the world. And I gotta tell you something. We got a film this year from China which is literally almost like Sound of Music.
Speaker 5: It's the most wonderful film.
Speaker 8: But the best film in the festivals are Opening Night film that's with Lance Burton. Yeah, and it's a magical show and oh oh okay, yeah, and he's gonna make me younger tonight.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got to tell you I saw that movie, wait to see this.
Speaker 7: I saw that movie. I saw that movie made in China. Twenty minutes later I wanted to see it again. All right, Lance, burn you got a movie that's in this Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's this movie about Is this who you were just talking about?
Speaker 7: I was talking about because the premise of this sounds amazing. It's Billy Toppit master magician. Tell people about this film. Because here's the thing, Lance, nothing original comes out of Hollywood anymore. It seems like they say, hey, we need a new movie. Go down to Red Draft Video, rent a video.
Speaker 4: Let's redo it. This sounds great.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, this is a thank you. This is an independent film. That I produced, and I cast all of my friends in it. We shot it in Las Vegas on location, so we had a great backdrop for it. But the premise of the film is it's a story of a magician and his name is Billy Toppit, okay, and he's not very successful. He performs at children's birthday parties. He's a really good magician. He's working on his career. He's pursuing the woman of his dreams and and he gets the mob mad at him and they're trying to kill him.
Speaker 3: That old story.
Speaker 4: That is great.
Speaker 6: It's a comedy and it's a family film, so you can bring your kids, you can watch it with your grandma. And there's a lot of magic in it, and I try to incorporate a lot of magic performance but also using magic tricks as part of the plot to to in other words, when when when the bad guys are chasing Billy Toppit, Yeah, the big car chase scene, he's driving around, Well, what does he do to get away? He makes his car invisible, right, So he uses magic techniques and and the other thing. And you get to you get to see how that unfolds as you watch the movie. You're you're in on the secret.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: And the other thing I wanted to do with the film is I wanted people, especially kids, to be able to watch the film and get interested in magic and then go away and be able to perform a simple magic trick for their friends. And so you you you learn how to do a magic trick as you're watching the film.
Speaker 4: So obviously this is probably inspire children somehow along the way. You got inspired?
Speaker 7: Yes, and it hooked you, man, It hooked you so much you became probably one of the most recognized phases when it come You're a master magician?
Speaker 4: Who hooked you?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 4: Gal?
Speaker 6: When I was a kid, Uh, my dad worked at the Levy's Building supplies off and Breckinridge. My mom worked at the fred Lay plant Hively making potato chips.
Speaker 4: Boy Buddy's Bakery.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, and so so what it was It was a Christmas party for all of the Freedo Lay employees.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious.
Speaker 6: That's so so we show up they Now they had a guy that worked there at the plant who was at that time a salesman and then became sales manager. His name was Harry Collins and he was from Glasgow, Kentucky. He was a fantastic magician, a brilliant entertainer and magician, and he was doing a magic show for the employees. He asked for a volunteer from the audience, and I was the kid, Wow, that went up on stage five years old. He pulled silver dollars out from behind my ear and I went, Okay, I'm hooked.
Speaker 4: This is wow.
Speaker 3: All right, now let's get back. How do we go to this film festival?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Look, I love movies. I love going to the movies. I love sitting in the theater.
Speaker 2: I did that.
Speaker 1: I grew up in the seventies, so they had that run of Jaws and Star Wars and King Kong and all these great movies, and I was hooked.
Speaker 3: I was in.
Speaker 1: Going to the movies is a little different now because some of the best movies and films that are made are on Netflix and Prime and Apple is making some great movies. They're spending one hundred million dollars on great stories and great movies, but they're not in the theater.
Speaker 4: I hated.
Speaker 1: I like going to the theater. How do I get to this festival? How do I watch these movies? What's the schedule, And how do I get the schedule?
Speaker 5: Well, you can take a street car drive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, the festival sold out.
Speaker 8: You go to Louisville's International Festival Film dot org and the whole festivals right there. But yeah, we're packed already. I mean, there may be some more room in there.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure yet. We haven't been over there yet. Color Red.
Speaker 7: How difficult is it because you you have the burden of command of cutting films? Does it hurt your heart because you know that people were coming out wanting to get their film and there's only so much room, that's right. Does it hurt your heart when you have to do that.
Speaker 8: It's the toughest thing in the world. It's the hardest thing in the world. And in the very beginning I refuse to cut any film at all. But the more fils we got, the more I had to start looking at it, picking out the best phones. But I got to tell you, I want to go back and talk about something else. The reason I got involved in films was because my mother was the model for the Columbia you know, the girl now, And she was a singer and she used to sing all over the house and she had a chance to go to hollow I would and become an actress.
Speaker 5: And my grandmother didn't believe in all that stuff.
Speaker 8: But we used to come downtown Fourth Street all the time to movies.
Speaker 5: He's always dragging my brothers.
Speaker 3: Movie theaters were here.
Speaker 4: Told me the Kentucky Theater. Non stuff.
Speaker 5: God man.
Speaker 8: I used to love to take the street car and come down to the movies and we went.
Speaker 5: To a musical line.
Speaker 8: I walked out of that and I said, I know what I want to do, and I got involved in it.
Speaker 5: But I wanted to give back to my hometown.
Speaker 8: And I thought I was doing all of these various film festivals all over the world. Actually yeah, And then I said, you know what Loyal needs a great film festival.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So that's why I started. It's just exploded more of the story. We need more places to show felms though.
Speaker 7: Yea more of the story. Get your tickets for next year. It's a little international film festival.
Speaker 5: That's a good point.
Speaker 7: A sap and real quick, I want to say Lance Burton's uh brother in law James is in here and.
Speaker 6: It's just Curry and it's his birthday today.
Speaker 4: He is, he's sixty nine.
Speaker 7: I didn't know. Hey Lan, whre's your birthday? Hey, Las Burton? What's the difference what's the difference between in laws and outlaws? What's the outlaws are actually wanted?
Speaker 4: All right? Burton?
Speaker 5: Outloads law?
Speaker 7: What's what's the difference between in laws and outlaws? Outlaws are actually one?
Speaker 4: Alright? All right? Conrad last Burton? Who do we have?
Speaker 1: I got Christian Brothers Roofing. Go to christianbroroofing dot com if you need a new roof or you need a repair. I actually need one. They're gonna come out and fix it up. They took care of my gutters this past summer. They're gonna fix my roof former christianbroroofing dot com. Give them a get a hold of them. They do roofing, sighting, gutters and windows are the best in town. My nephew works for them. They did my mom's house. They fixed my house up. They'll take care of you christianbro Roofing dot com. Back after this on news radio eight forty w h Chance