Speaker 1: It's Tucson Sports station. Yet see see.
Speaker 2: Fox Sports fourteen fifty a an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 3: Yet.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services ensure your most Prized possess yets.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome everybody, Good afternoon. I'm Steve Roban and you're Mike Quinn. Where I am and I on the ball today Monday. Usual question is how about them Wildcats? How about them Wildcats? I thought it was great that they held them under sixty on a positive note, not a positive note, looking on the looking on the bright side. You're my Monday guy. Monday guys. We always talk about this with you. My god. Henry's the guy I talked to in the car saying, well, you know, what the hell happened?
Speaker 4: Yes, and he's with me. I mean they just suck. Yeah, well yeah, I mean they do. They've got they certainly have issues with their defense.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, I think that the defense played really well.
Speaker 4: I think against Texas Tech, you gotta get your hats up to them. And we had some we had some high expectations and they were keeping them in games and uh, and then injuries have decimated them to the point where they are kind of ineffective.
Speaker 1: Henry, you made an observation in the car, in the back seat that was always feeding you McDonald's. Uh, you think you were surprised about one thing? What was that?
Speaker 5: That everyone steals their job today, whether that's every coach.
Speaker 6: I thought some changes had to happen.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: We did say it might be because they have a buye this week, so they might take some time to evaluate.
Speaker 6: But I think I don't know.
Speaker 5: To send a message, you gotta get her to someone do something just to show that you still care.
Speaker 1: What would be that message?
Speaker 6: Firing Dino Beavers?
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, he's already been demoted. He's already been.
Speaker 5: That's that's why I don't think they would do that, because he has already been demoted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's no purpose in that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are they going to fire him in the mid season?
Speaker 1: The first first year out? You got what three weeks? Four games? Three to four games? Yeah? What's the point?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Merry Christmas, here here's your pink slipping down. Just just wait, I mean, what's the purpose?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean at this point, what you know? What you know?
Speaker 4: I mean firing your defensive coordinator because you've got this rash of injuries. You're not going to bring in a defense coordinator that's suddenly going to have players.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no question he says all the right things. And I don't know him. I talked to him, uh at the beginning of the year when we had all the media stuff. Good guy and all that stuff. I've always said, the good guys don't really become very good coaches. They just don't have to be paying the next So I'll start there. If I've said this for a month now, I feel that there was a disconnect between the players and the coach. There has been for a while. This is the same team that struggled in a U and I and I remember going out and going to the game. I didn't cover the game. I was walking out with the pants and says one guy says, just been passing it didn't. It wasn't directed to me. He was with the girlfriend problems. Oh we're gonna get killed. We're gonna get killed all year because there was not they were not impressive against any U and and what was that line?
Speaker 4: I should have asked him to be your Monday co host? The well, and what are you doing on Monday? See great observation. The guy got the slug. Well, the guy, the guy Dennis Green, what did he say?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: They are what we thought they were. We are we are who they thought they were, or they they are where we thought they This team is the same team that we saw against NAU and thinking, Oh, they're holding the team that they're playing. They're not showing their their their big plays. They're not showing this, not showing that. But because they don't want to come on, they were showing everything and it didn't matter. They were showing everything thing.
Speaker 4: Okay, And I think they get they I tell you that they peaked against uh uh Texas attack.
Speaker 1: They peaked against Utah.
Speaker 4: I mean they played, they played decent ball there against those teams they got. The rest of the season they've played peaked terrible. Holy crap, what the hell you're using that word with this these low low Well, well, you've got to peak somewhere. I mean, no, they don't go there there you know there there is a place. It's the highest, the highest peak in Alabama. It's not very high, okay, but.
Speaker 1: It is a peak that's it's like momentum. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: Hey, look, it's a it's one game season now, Okay, it comes down Arizona State, Beter, Arizona State. I mean that's that that that's our goal and objective. All the other goals and objectives are off off the chart. We've we've lined through all our other ones.
Speaker 1: Right now Beter is on a state. Okay, well that's that's three four weeks away, right, three weeks away. Good luck with that. This this team or this season has been one of the more pub I've been here a long time. You've you've been here a while now. This has been one of the more perplexing teams seasons I've seen in a long time. And that's basketball, that's football. Uh And you know when someone was here, they just they were horrible there. That team was just horrible. So this this is a bit better. Yeah, right, yeah. And the question now is what's going on with the players? Have they have they quit and given up? Which you hope not to see. I saw this morning when I was going to to come to work, Justin Justin Spiras said he was gonna asked the question if if he did you listen to the press conference? Probably not that if he don't asked question whether if he felt the Brendan felt that the team had given up or has given up on him. I don't know if he had asked that question or answer that's the question. So I wouldn't go that far. But hey, if it walks like a duck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's at this point, it's really you know, getting getting you know, blown out early. Yes, like exactly, it's kind of like, okay, come on, man, let's get the hell out of dogs. I've said this a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe when they were playing Kansas City this this get the hell out of Dodgs. This what are we doing here in the school? Yeah? I was so so I will tell you I've I've been positive.
Speaker 4: All year, and then even when I was not positive, I was at least like, hey, you know, it's the first season. You know, we'll see where it goes. I still think that you got to give the guy a little time. You got to make sure it's his team. This isn't he's not taking over his team. Even though we have some people that are like, oh, well, you know, he had all this talent last year.
Speaker 1: Look, it's still you know, that's not making a mistakes he has talent. He has talent, and maybe it's her talent. But some people hurt. I mean we lost a lot. Sure, sure so you ever heard you ever play on a team that's overcheaved. I can tell you one, but I don't want to bore the people.
Speaker 4: It happens. It does happen, Okay, I mean, yeah, you get it. You get a team that you get, a team that does does very well, is overlooked by people, comes in and plays above their head, catches the momentum which I know you don't you don't think exists, but starts.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: What they do is they start playing with confidence, no question you can do. What does this team not have? Well, yeah, this team certainly does not have any confidence. I wouldn't say that, you know, it couldn't build confidence in the fact that it's just not putting together plays. Now I do believe that they have. The players are probably questioning the coach and they see the thing. It says fire Brennan. They're probably sitting there going, well, okay, I jumped out of the wrong ship, or it's like I got the wrong captain of the ship that I jumped on.
Speaker 1: It's got to be in their minds too, So I don't know. We'll see and guess what happens at the end of the year. All the time, Well, you can't fire the players, right, you can fire and the players say, well, it's on us because you know, because we should have prevented this from happening.
Speaker 4: Well, so I will tell you that old Neon Dion is the one that, uh he fired his players. I mean he went into into Colorado and said, son, it's time for you to move on.
Speaker 1: And I'm telling you some right now.
Speaker 4: That's that's the other side of this nil and transfer portal. Okay, you got coaches that are coming into coming in and sitting, sitting their players down at the end of the year, and they're saying, you know, instead of saying, okay, my plan for you is that we're gonna have you lift or we're gonna have you this. We're gonna focus on your running. We're gonna make you better. Sure, coaches are saying, hey, my plan for you is this. You're playing at San Jose State next year. That's my plan for you.
Speaker 1: Sure. No, come on, You've been a part of this Division one football stuff for a long time. You've seen it. It happens everywhere. It happens everywhere, except that he made his situation public. He said some wrong things to the kids that you don't see other coaches do because you're not allowed to. They don't give you access to that because they come in time. But the thing is that you don't have coaches. Rarely.
Speaker 4: You may have a coach that hits her and says, I don't see a future for you on this team. Sure, okay, but for the most part, coaches are saying this is the this is the team that I have. I've got to develop them, I've got to build them. But there's I mean, we have people. You know, there's coaches right now that are sitters like going, okay, you were the second starring quarterback last year, the first string quarterback left. They're not sitting there going okay, you're next in line. We need to develop you. They're sitting there saying it's like going sun, we're bringing somebody in on the transfer portal.
Speaker 1: You're not my guy. It happens in business, happens in life. Yeah, but see that's to bring your guy in.
Speaker 4: That's the coach's side of this. Oh huge transfer. You know, the players are like going oh hey, I'm leaving. I'm not going to play for you anymore. See there's a coach's side of this too, where it's like you need to hit the road. I'm getting somebody out.
Speaker 1: The thing that, well, I've said this a lot. The thing that practiced me is that they don't look like they're playing hard or or he says they're playing hard in practice and all that. Okay, good for that, but they don't keep scoring practice. Uh, and they're just it's five in a row. It's not competitive. Five in a row not competitive, that's the thing. And where do you where do you find that if you don't have it? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know. It may be I don't know. It may be the players. I mean, it may be the fact that you know.
Speaker 7: It is both.
Speaker 1: It's both, it's both. I mean, why not it could be. But you know, I don't know of a coach that's you. You don't, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that a coach is taking over a job and then all of a sudden quits in the middle of the No. No, no, coach, no no, I'm talking about playing hard for him. I mean, you may not be playing hard for me, That's what I'm saying. The players may be playing hard for Brendon. Brendan certainly is not giving up. Someone gave up someone someone gave up in the middle of the middle of the season. He didn't really care one way or no. He was he was getting he was catch.
Speaker 1: How many times have you been in a part of a football program, player or coach in your capacity even that army years? Twenty years, oh, a long time time. Okay, how many times have you say, I'm sure you've seen this before? What players teams have did a given up? Yeah? Oh sure, And would you admit that?
Speaker 4: Hell no, no, no, no, no, no, no, No one's gonna yeah, no one's gonna admit that.
Speaker 1: Sure, no players are gonna admit that.
Speaker 4: But it's one of those things where you kind of see that far away look in their eyes where it's like, yeah, they're not looking, they're not looking intently, They're just kind of like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this will be over soon. Yeah, yeah, Henry, you believe that.
Speaker 6: I don't know what to believe anymore.
Speaker 1: He's already jada, he's twenty one, he's jaded. I like it. You're listening to me. No, it's tough. It's tough to figure out what's going on. I mean, if they had the magic one, they would have found it. That's the problem. It's a problem. I don't know if he said we got to coach better today, and I still don't know what that means. I think that it's one. I think that it takes time to get your system into place. Wait, it takes time for your for your team to accept this system in the place. How much give me a time?
Speaker 4: Give me It takes time for you to get your your players into place. I think that by we should know a lot more by this time next year.
Speaker 1: That's too much time. That's quite too much. He came in too much. Time, came in spring, came in the spring. You get some time with the guys. You come in the fall and you get some time with the guys, but not your guys. You may not even be just good. And I'm sorry I'm ragging, but it's it's it's very apparent. It's very you know, you you get a car doesn't work well.
Speaker 4: I will tell you, I'd rather I'd rather have I'd rather have a team of players that are playing hard for you, yes, than to have a lot of talented players that don't care to totally totally, and I think we can where are point. I think we can point fingers at players that are very talented that don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't need names. I don't know. I wouldn't even know names. But it's very this. Okay, first time is a mistake. If you lose by twenty twenty five. Okay, second time, okay, okay, third time, fourth time, now you kind of think, what the hell is happening?
Speaker 4: I mean, well, right, but so so what's the solution here? I mean there is I don't think there is one. I don't think there is one. Oh, we're just we're condemned to this for the rest of our lives. No, the rest of the month, rest of November. Oh, we're certainly condemned to this the rest of the year. There's no doubt about it. That's what I said. The only the only game that matters rest of the way in is Arizona State Wilson.
Speaker 1: You gonna say they have a buy this week, They're not gonna lose. They're play in two weeks Houston Houston or TCU HO. So winnable game on paper. What we know winnable games. Didn't you say this in the u c F. Didn't you think that of the previous UCF has played some good games, but.
Speaker 4: They were it was a game that we had down by the certainly at the beginning of the season you had him down as a win.
Speaker 1: So who's the who's the one previous to this? Last year last week at the u A for your family weekend, it was Virginia, West Virginia. Another on paper on paper, paper sucked paper is britt Bird.
Speaker 4: At the beginning of the season, we put that down as a win. We gotta go.
Speaker 1: Hey, we have Chase buddingers our guests. That's really cool. First first guest here that spoke to him over the weekend. Uh, he's obviously in the Olympic. Was the Olympics. That was pro volleyball pairer. Everyone loved him as a u A basketball pair. We'll get a hold of him and bring him on next.
Speaker 2: Your chance to in one thousand dollars just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 1: Deposit. That's deposit.
Speaker 2: Enter in right now boxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wildside, your passion your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 1: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 6: Are you ready enterprise? So Fasco Yuki Tribe.
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 6: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 9: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and Boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know? Radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona noun the lead.
Speaker 1: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: I'm twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps. Shorts are long sleeve follows and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose froom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizonna b K nine two nine four two Equal housing opportunity. Got to commitment to lyric syncredit rates and avaiable loan programs or subt e to change with them.
Speaker 11: Notice did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection.
Speaker 1: Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 11: As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 1: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 11: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score.
Speaker 6: You can borrow better with PEERAMID. For details or to.
Speaker 13: Apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 7: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth to the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including UA All American Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Kendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again, that's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 2: He says, I on the ball on Fox Sports fourteen finding I want to take part in the show called up Steam now went five to two oh four seventy.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to my in the ballgirl Fox Sports Fortune fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Mike Quinn with me to day. Henry's at the Big Wheel here and now we have former you a hoopster hoopstar Chase butting your chase? How are you good?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: Doing well?
Speaker 3: You're just pronouncing my name wrong.
Speaker 1: Budding girl, budding girl. There you go. It's been too long, Chase. That's why I forget stuff.
Speaker 14: Yeah, good?
Speaker 1: What the hell are you doing? I was in your area over the weekend at the at the Breeders Cup. Were you in the neighborhood? Are you out winning some awards and games? I was.
Speaker 14: I was not in the neighborhood. I was out in Dallas for a volleyball tournament because we are doing this new AVP League and it was the final final week of the AVP League. And now next weekend back home and now you.
Speaker 6: Are in playoffs.
Speaker 1: Did you see did he go see you? Because he's a goopball ben at Davidson, did he go see hi? Uh no, no, he I think he went to the thing. I think he had a video of you watching you play out in Dallas, because he's in Dallas.
Speaker 14: Oh okay, maybe yeah. I did not run into him.
Speaker 1: So you I'm gonna tell I'm gonna reminisce a little bit a bit because you were one of my favorite players back in the day. Do you remember how you came out your freshman year for Red Blue or Midnight Madness. I think Midnight Madness.
Speaker 14: I came out, it was Midnight Madness. I came out like with beach towels and unglosses on and kind of just showing my my California roots, my beach volleyballs and volleyball roots and coming out and throwing that stuff into the crowd.
Speaker 1: I remember very well, and I'm thinking, that's a little teas, that's a little teas.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Did you kind of did you kind of figure that if the NBA didn't work out, and it did for a while for a few years, that this would be in the in the plan.
Speaker 14: Yeah, this was always in the back of my mind of what I kind of wanted to do was to get into be trolleyball after I however long my basketball career was, and you know, I was able to fulfill it to the best my ability and made some great goals for myself and I was able to achieve them by like the one that I did a few months ago of making the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Yes, uh, Chase, Uh, Mike, Mike Quinn. It's Uh, man, it's it's really great talking. Uh. The I do remember you coming out in the in the beach attire, and I grew up in southern California, and so it's say, it was kind of cool to have you come come out here.
Speaker 1: The uh.
Speaker 4: I get a question for you for UH is the did you do the order right? I mean, would you have wanted to uh maybe go into uh volleyball sooner? Looking looking back on this stuff, mm.
Speaker 1: Hm no, definitely not.
Speaker 14: I think this was always the order that I wanted. I wanted to pursue basketball. I think it was something that I enjoyed more. Obviously, you could have a better career, make.
Speaker 15: More money, you know.
Speaker 14: I just love the team atmosphere of basketball way more than two and two with beach volleyball. So this was always a plan, always a goal play basketball, see how long it could take me. And to be honest, I mostly when I was thinking about switching over to beach volleyball, way back when it was more just for fun, just to do something to be competitive, still live that lifestyle of being a beach volleyball player. I never expected to be where I'm at now, playing at the highest level, competed against the best teams in the world. It just kind of just how the dominoes fell, with my career ending shorter than what I thought it would, where I was still young enough to kind of pick up beach volleyball and learn the game a lot faster and still continue to be playing at a very high level.
Speaker 1: And how could how could Chase not do basketball? Given and I want you to reflect on this, A loot at the time said you were the best recruit he'd ever recruited before you got here.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean him saying that was you know, a huge honor of kind of just my work ethic and who I was as a player in high school. And you know, just the one thing I really wish I had was more time under him. Yeah, I only got that one year. I only got that one year. Even that one year, he wasn't, I think fully into it because he had so much stuff going on in his personal life, you know, And he was one of the reasons why I wanted to come back for my second year to be coached by him more, to learn more from him and from from from his assistant. So it was you know, it was a tough situation after that of changing coaches and whatnot and changing, you know, having the team change and everything when I was there. But I wouldn't ever change my experience, you know, being at the University of Arizona for three years was you know, amazing. My time there, my memories, my friendships, those things have lasted through through the ages, and those are things I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if you remember this one too. And I remember it well because I think it was your second year. It could have been your first year. Uh so, I guess not so well. But Marcus was his back for a second year. I think it was, and you may have been a freshman, you can clarify that for me. And we reran into each other underneath the Michael walking behind us as Chase. We all know you're a good guy and on stuff. Why don't you just hell with the hell with it, just take over because we know you're good. And Marcus was having Marcus syndrome his sophomore year, and you just take over. You said, no, I need to know my place. I don't want to usurp anybody things like that, because you would have had you would have had a even better for sure.
Speaker 14: I thought, Yeah, I still feel like, I mean, I still had a great year, right, and you know, there were times in some games where Ludelson would pull me to the side and told me that I had to meet more aggressive, had to shoot the ball more, you know, when I have my opportunity to take it. So you know, obviously that gave me a lot of confidence. But as a freshman, there was a lot of seniors.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of older.
Speaker 14: Guys on that team. So those were the guys I was looking up to, and I didn't want to, you know, try to do too much and kind of overshadow them because you know, they're they're the guys that starts We're there for four years, right taking over, taking over the program. So I was just kind of following their lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense, And that was the type of player you were kind of like, you know, put me in where you need me, I'll do what I can to help and all that. And you're right, it was Loots in the beginning of the end. So that didn't help, yeah, for sure, exactly.
Speaker 4: Hey, getting back to the getting back to the Olympics, what was the were you there for the did you do the opening and closing ceremonies?
Speaker 14: I did. I was there for the opening ceremonies.
Speaker 16: I did not.
Speaker 14: I did not do the closing ceremonies. I decided to leave a few days earlier with my wife and kid head back home because we've been there for about four weeks so. But the opening ceremonies was unbelievable. It was It was amazing to see how many fans showed up, especially it was pouring rain down that lined up across the river that were just you know, waiting for us to pass by on these boats. And it was great to be there with all the other Olympics as well Olympians as well.
Speaker 1: So people have been asking me to get you on the show, and a lot of them I still have you as your favorite player from back in the day and that's almost twenty years ago, right, Yeah, so that must be something because people love you and they were excited to see you in the Olympics doing really well. Yeah.
Speaker 14: Like I said, it was kind of a dream come true. And one site switched over to peach volleyball that that became My ultimate goal was to make the Olympics, and it was a hard road for me to get there, but getting there was an unbelievable dream. I think we had one of the most iconic venues playing underneath the Eiffel Tower where there was matches at night where they would have these light shows go off when you're getting introduced, and then they timed it with the Eiffel Tower like sparkling, and it was just like one of those majestic just times and trying the memories that you try to just hold on because of so so it's brilliant.
Speaker 4: So the being a southern California boy, you got eyes on l A I do.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 14: I think once once I've gone through the Olympics one, so now I kind of know the lay of the land of how to get there, how to prepare my body, what I need to do to accomplish to get to the next one. It kind of just motivates me more to to get there now and like not only just get there, like now I want to meddle. Like now I've experienced it. Now I kind of know what I need to do, and now I just want to like finish, finish this career off right with trying to get a medal in LA And what better way not to do it here in my hometown.
Speaker 4: So these sports are grind on the on the body. I mean, it's not that easy and uh, you know, I mean I can't there. You're a young person, but uh, in this sporting world, you know you're going to be what forty Uh in l A, how are you?
Speaker 1: How are you doing this magic lakes here?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 14: I think, Uh, the biggest thing is is the sand really helps the body. I'm not putting as much stress on my joints, and I think that's what kind of started to happen to me towards the end of my basketball career was you know, I was going through a lot of knee pains, ankle pains, back pains. All these joints were just kind of with all that pounding from the hardwood was really taking the toll on me. And once I switched to the beach volleyball, all those went away. The same is so much more forgiving. It's a lot easier to jump and land and you know, kind of fall down.
Speaker 3: If you need to.
Speaker 14: There's no physical contact in the sport. So all of that just has helped me kind of prolong my career. And you see it a lot in the past where some of the best players can play in their late thirties sometimes early forties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's got to be a strategy. Every game has a strategy. What is it in volleyball?
Speaker 14: I mean, the biggest strategy I have his pretty much the team that's the more consistent team wins. And I know that's very simple as me talking about it, but you know, whoever serves the toughest, whoever passes the easiest, whoever sides out without making errors mostly wins. And it's pretty simple say that, but it's a lot harder doing it when you're out there. And that's something that I've had to learn through my volleyball career of just getting better at being more consistent and not making too many errors each match. And I've come a long way, but I feel like I've got to a point where I'm pretty good at being the best player I can each and every match and not making too many too many mistakes.
Speaker 1: Have you this might be a dumb question because you you know, this is not what your first sport was in terms of you know, pro you're probably still reaching potential yet.
Speaker 14: I definitely don't think I've reached my peak potential. I think every year that I'm trying to add something new to my game and try to keep evolving just because you're right, I haven't been in this sport for for that long, and there's still new things that I actually keep improving on them. And that's what kind of just brings me joy still playing this sport, is there's still things that I could keep getting better at and keep learning each year and keep trying to add to my game, and it makes it kind of fun and interesting and cool and something that I'm going to work on for the next four years to kind of help me to get to the next Olympics.
Speaker 1: So you.
Speaker 4: You talked about making the difference in the support and I know my my wife went to coach or went to coaching clinics with Kars Karai who talked about aggressive serving being the difference in a lot of these indoor games. Is that is that the aspect that you think that is the big difference between these things, or is it netplay or is it you know, run.
Speaker 14: I think that's the first I think that's the first line, is aggressive serving. And then I think also you've got to kind of dissect what type of team you are.
Speaker 3: Team you are?
Speaker 14: Are you a team that is defensive minded?
Speaker 3: Where you're going.
Speaker 14: To play a lot on the nets, getting a lot of digs, getting a lot of blocks. Are you a team that's just going to be super consistent out so you could be more aggressive serving? So it's kind of dependent on what type of team you are, but but mostly yes, the first the first thing that you could always do is be more aggressive on the service line, and that really determines a lot of the times if you win or lose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to ask you just go ahead.
Speaker 14: No, just I was just gonna say, just because teams are so good now, the teams all around the world, they're they're so good. Every team is so consistent, every team. You know, we used we used to as the USA, used to be us in Brazil, where the two top countries that would always get the top. Now you have all these other countries that have you know, kind of eclipsed us or are right there with us at the top. And the world is just getting better at this sport, and the guys are getting bigger, they're getting stronger, they're getting faster, and you know, as a country, we have to keep evolving and getting better as well.
Speaker 1: So what was the time frame you were no longer in the NBA. Uh that that spread between the NBA and volleyball was theret of like a big span a few months a year. What was that?
Speaker 14: It was? When I finished, When I finished, when I decided to retire from basketball, I kind of jumped right into beach volleyball about three months later, and I was able to find a really good partner, an older player that has been playing for twenty years, and Sham Rosenthal, who was you know, kind of a household name in beach volleyball, and he picked me up, so I was able to really learn a lot from him, and we really just dove right into you know, playing against teams at the highest level, traveling into international tournament, competing for AVP titles right away, and you know, it was a roote awakening for me to kind of see how how raw I was at this point and how how much improvement I needed to grow to get to the player that I wanted to be.
Speaker 1: Well I wanted to go with that is, you know, how athletes are competitive all their lives until or not, was there that hunger to get back and become a competitor again, you know, whether you're whatever. People got to find golf. We got to find poker. They got to find something to get those juices going. Was that was that the case with you or you just kind of moved so quickly into it.
Speaker 14: I think I just moved so closely into it. And I really think that I am probably one of the most competitive people in the world, so so that part of it is always there with me. I think I need, like my daily life needs some sort of some sort of competition, and it's one of the I think my greatest strengths as a as an athlete, and probably one of the things my wife hates about me the most is because I'm always trying to compete with or with on a daily basis. But yeah, that's just something that I've always had as that competitive nature and always and always wanting to compete, especially against people at the highest levels. And I think that's one of the reasons why when I did decide to switch to be jolleyball, I wanted to do at the highest level and try it for the Olympics.
Speaker 1: If you want to have a long marriage, I'd stop competing right now. Also, let me maybe lastly, when you were here, some of the great moments that we see or we saw back in the day was the Houston game. You know, how can I go without asking you? And that was you guys are getting crushed down by eleven with uh and then I can't remember his name now steps on you and you guys just turned it on. It was like fantastic, still one of the most memorable things in your life that happened because you guys, you guys found something.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think that game was I mean a little bit of a little bit of a karma for them as well as you know that little spark too, you know, with the minute left we never give up mentality where I think, you know me, I hit a three and Nick hit a three and Jordan was able to get some easy buckets and then we had some luck on their side of missing some free throws and I think it was actually even less than a minute forty five seconds with like you know, down down by ten and we were able to come back. So yeah, that was a unbelievable, it's thrilling comeback. One of my most notable, you know games. But not only was it just that game, it also propelled us to go on a winning treak after that and kind of got us into the NCAA tournament as well.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, no question. Well, Chase, I appreciate your time. Good luck to rest the way. Yeah, it's quite an honor to talk to you, buddy. It's amazing, great, great, great to talk to you again, and then good luck with you. How old how old your your your your young one?
Speaker 14: My son, my son Beckham is two years than four months old.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you're a rookie. You're just a rookie at this Yeah, thanks, definitely rook Thanks Chase. We're going to keep touch with you. Thanks a bunch man, all right, sounds go you will. Thanks, Thank you, Chase Bunninger with a GRG. Good good stuff. He's one of the good guys that covered back in the day. Let's take a break and come back. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is former Wildcat Lemanhnely with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your attiing. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 3: In your life.
Speaker 1: We off a.
Speaker 17: Complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and.
Speaker 1: Training to get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 17: Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot.
Speaker 1: Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Youson Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen Lord Tampbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 6: Listen up.
Speaker 16: Al Tour two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Way Vote and CMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride, Grab your bikes and your buddies join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the l Turty two Son. For more info, check out El Tourdy two Son dot org.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just search Ie on the ball.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Eyeing the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera you and I make Quinn pain in the neck Mike Quinn paid in the neck. Yeah, yeah, got Henry wadas In into something. Yeah. Hey, welcome back everybody. If you want to call us, please do five to two oh four one four forty would love to hear from you. Yeah, we'll talk about the game calls the wrong we are Yeah, yes, I mean, come on, you start to show kind of you were happy to see that they didn't give up sixty. I mean that's a positive. I was gonna say, give me another positive. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know what the positive would be.
Speaker 5: I think if the season ended today, team ac would win the Ballot the Cuff Awards. Well really yeah, I mean he's leading the country and receiving yards by over one hundred.
Speaker 1: Typically though, is he I didn't know that. Typically thought teams that are not going to be good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess I don't know if they saw that.
Speaker 4: Certainly Heisman Trophy. I mean, you can't be on a team that's not doing well. But I think ballin the Coffee might be able to you know I haven't tracked Ballittan coff At closely, but.
Speaker 1: But fear this.
Speaker 18: The team is the season's not ending today. Season is not ending. It is not any sad sadly you used to go in the games. Should Uh yeah, I'll go to the Houston game. Yeah, I'd go to Houston. I'm not around. Uh so I can't make it. But it's like, uh, we went to tonight's game and it's eight fifteen. Oh yeah, Friday night? Okay, yeahs Friday? Oh man, yeah, a fifteen Friday.
Speaker 1: What day is? What's happening? They is that it's Friday?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, is that fifteenth to November? Fifteenth to November November? You have something to do? You come on? You got nothing going? I get nothing running on a Friday. I'm a busy man, busy man. I mean, at least I can make the excluse excuse that I go to betterly as you should need.
Speaker 4: Your social calendar is certainly not filled.
Speaker 1: Don't you know who I am?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's exactly exactly. Well that's what you know that, that's how I know. That's how I know your social call. Give me four tickets.
Speaker 1: I'm looking for four friends that don't exactly five seventy four forty. I would take your call, gay, But if you're alive and happy, unhappy, give us a call, Nico, Miguel, all the all the all the people who know everything, give us, give us a calling. He wants figure out an answer. He wants to be you, He wants to be part of the show. I do no, no, yeah, yeah, uh good. I have no one for tomorrow at leastuff. But Wednesday we have some pretty good guests. Don't say who I told you, But don't say who I didn't say. Okay, I know what I'm telling you. Don't don't break it now. Thursday I have a good in house guest Thursday, so that'll be fine, that'll be great. So trying to work ahead the schedule, it's unlike me. I just wing it. Tomorrow is tough because I'm gonna work with the boards tomorrow. Henry, how much can I pay you to come in and work that board? Live? Class them?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, class are tough.
Speaker 4: The so uh you you didn't do well at the Breeders capt Friday?
Speaker 1: I did Friday. I did Okay, a great place. I mean, your daughter's here, she worked it. Uh It's fantastic.
Speaker 4: U mar is such a nice the views, it was just nice, so much there, the water everything.
Speaker 1: And then for Saturday, I couldn't pick anything. I mean all the chalk was not coming in. The long shots were rolling in.
Speaker 4: It was a big payday and I had see her alone nailed and I was all set to go, and I wouldn't get my text to send.
Speaker 1: I was at a place at Uh. Yeah, that's a good rest point. Yeah, I had, I had, I had. The one I can't remember was I didn't have Stone. I know that not fun. Okay, we got a call. Yeah, hey, you're on the air and I and the ball. This is Steve, I see this, Jim, Jim, Jim, where you been.
Speaker 3: Well, I told you the other day I hang't called in for a couple of weeks because or three weeks because nothing's changed.
Speaker 1: So what's changed that you're calling in?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think we need to start looking at this in a more surgical manner. And the I mean the patients, amputations, That's what I'm trying to get at.
Speaker 4: Okay, you go taking people out.
Speaker 3: Well, so we got all right. Fense in the last four weeks has scored the same number of points as is scored in the first game.
Speaker 1: Ye. So, and the problem is.
Speaker 3: Getting worse and not better as time goes on. And so the question I would ask myself is do I want to think about this situation as is until next year? Because I've got news for you, guys. You're talking about the end of the season. The football season's over. It's over. And that's the way to approach this is to as if the football season is finished, because it is. And then he's got to start thinking about, all right, is this what we want to wake up to next next spring? And maybe not?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? So what what's the solution? What's a quick fix?
Speaker 3: I don't think there is one, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: And you're in your eye a quick fix? Is it to dump up a coach or to dump the staff? Just what what do you think how you fix this? Maybe long term? Long term? I would start over with with you new coaching staff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that's drastic because nothing has worked. I mean when we when we see a constant decline week after week after week after week, I mean, the question becomes not who what do we need to change, but who do we need to keep? And the answer to that when you see that decline is no one right?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, give me need to be gutted, tell me the tell me again, because I know what you're gonna say. Uh. The solution you have for me uh And it's a lot like a hek he did with the summon cut bait early cut bait now, because it's not going to get any better and you can lose a lot of people if you don't do what you do exactly.
Speaker 3: I think. I think the more time that passes, the less enthusiasm you're going to have for next year. And that's not what the situation you want to be in. This is coming to a slow rolling stop.
Speaker 4: So so how do we how do we buy out the coaching staff? Now, this guy's gonna go.
Speaker 3: You sit down with him and say, look, what's going to take to get you go? We'll get you out of here. You can see. Well, I would try to negotiate with him because look, I think if you're reasonable about this, you're going to take some of the responsibility.
Speaker 1: And see what he.
Speaker 3: Says, but this is not good. You're not going to have any momentum for next year at all. The football season is over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it is.
Speaker 3: Any any the idea about momentum or enthusiasm. That's all BS. At this point, what you're going to have is this thing is going to be at us not only had a dead stop next spring, but it's going to have a concrete wall in front it, and that will be the memory of last year.
Speaker 1: Did you do you? I said this earlier. I don't know if you were listening, but to me, this is one of the weirdest peculiar situations on any sport that I've been here. You have these great expectations and then this happens. So something that was in the case.
Speaker 3: I've had difficult experiences like this with business, you know, and you see an operating unit and that goes down. What the hell's going on there? And you have to analyze it, you have to make tough decisions and sometimes you just need to execute. I don't think anything is going to change this. I don't think anything's going to improve it. Yeah, that's what I have to say today.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jim, thanks as always, You're welcome. Well, I mean I think a lot of people are feeling that way. Oh sure, I mean except a lot of a lot of people feeling that way. Brennan's contract is seventeen point five million over five years, right. I think the buyout I read yesterday, I think Brian said this. I thought it was ten, it was gonna be about twelve twelve.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's a lot of people with twelve million dollars in a fine No.
Speaker 1: No, And there's not a group of them. You don't like, Mike. They have to collect a lot of money just to get some players here to make this place better. So you have you know, I know you get calls. You know you have not deep pockets, but you have pockets that are kind of there, and so you get calls. Can you give this? Can you give that? And there's a lot of different factions that you have to give to the students, now, the student athletes, the university athletic department. Now to buy off a coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So if I had if I was the AD and I had someone walk into my office and say here's twelve million dollars get rid of the coach, I'd be like, Hm, why don't we go throw that money in there and see if we can get some players to come here? Because this is a coach that we sat down. Now, I know this AD didn't buy this guy. But you know, here's here's somebody that we went out and said, this is the best coach we can get on the market, and now six months later we're going to sit there and say, no, this guy's terrible.
Speaker 1: What does it do for future prospects, coaches and otherwise. I mean, here's a coach and here's an ad who'd give up on you right away.
Speaker 4: Yeah you want, I'll give you five games. This is in the NFL. I mean even at that, it's at the NFL. You're going to give somebody more than five games?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There how many games? With seven games? Yeah? Yeah, seven games? Seven games?
Speaker 4: You gotta get You got to give the guy more than that. So that's not we go down? Do we go down from there? Do we come in next year and find out that we have the same disconnects Like you're talking about.
Speaker 1: What if okay, you have three games and they all continue to go the same way, in the in the way one sided way that's going.
Speaker 4: What do you do? You you give it? To give the guy another year? You have to. I just don't think you can say you can't sit there and say this is the guy that we brought in. Now, is this guy doing anything, no malicious or wrong? Or is he doing anything guys right now? No, I mean he's not. I mean, you're not going to fire this guy for cause. And in this time when you're trying to give you know, you get you got to give all the players this money.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, there's not enough, there's not money to go around. And the funny, I mean players aren't playing for coaches anymore. No, no, you know what, You're exactly right, you're exactly right. Yeah, it's funny. Did you see how much time we have, like tens, we'll come back, we'll talk about this this commercial doctor Prepper commercial with yours. Okay, let's go