Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of September sixteenth, we're continuing with Lost, Season one, episode eleven. All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues. Put it right out there. It's about right out there. We we heard you talking and we renamed this episode just for y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh, this was a tough one.
Speaker 1: It was oh my goodness, Jack, Yeah, except the boy. You know, if you ever have a problem that is going to require CPR, and you want somebody to never give up on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the one.
Speaker 2: Well, it reminded me of when you were talking about how you know, Gen and Son don't speak English, so if you just speak louder, they'll eventually get it. And this was the same thing, like do your normal CPR and then if that doesn't work, just keep pounding on this person's body, like just basically punching him in the chest about ten times.
Speaker 1: It's gonna leave a mark.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if he's dead, it doesn't matter. And if he's not, yeah, yeah, Like.
Speaker 2: I hope no future like lifeguards or e mts are watching.
Speaker 1: Where Lad Boone wasn't there to see it.
Speaker 3: Do you think Boone is a good lifeguard?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but he's the one who would see that and then just wall up the bleep out of the next person, right, He's like.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess this is how you do it.
Speaker 1: Oh man, He's gonna bring Charlie back to life through the force of his will.
Speaker 3: You sure is.
Speaker 1: God complex screw ten sizes that day. Wow, But you know he couldn't save the girl and so he's gonna save him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh man. And like Claire.
Speaker 1: Uh, Claire, Hello, Claire, you're here somewhere.
Speaker 2: But the the others just wanted her if they didn't.
Speaker 3: Care about Charlie.
Speaker 1: I think possibly they only just want the baby, to be honest. But since I have previous sleep taken Russeau's child, it seems like they got a thing for kids. But there's a lot to unpack in this one. Man. Yeah, Jack's dad just keeps getting better and better.
Speaker 3: Done.
Speaker 1: Screw up, make your kid, well, not quite take the fall for it, but go along.
Speaker 3: Cover it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cover it up for you, because you're just Every terrible thing you've ever done was just to help him. Yeah, Harden that soft metal into steel has it has it as making you the kind of guy who's going to punch somebody in the chest under times if it's necessary. I bet you wish it was me you were punching. But still yeah, but and he uh, he finds out that the person that his dad sort of killed was pregnant, and that I thought that was what kicked it over for him, and that's why he's got such a thing about Claire, having let Claire down lost. Pedias says that when Jack saw his father talking to the husband of the dead woman. His dad was talking to this guy and putting his hand on his shoulder exactly the way he had done with Jack, and Jack was like, scam exactly. So that's why, which is also a good reason and undoubtedly true. I mean, his dad was clearly scamming.
Speaker 2: Him, right, and both be true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but definitely the pregnancy of that dead person is what makes him feel like exponentially more guilty about not having believed Claire and Hunter. So right, dang it. If he's gotta beat dead people, he's gonna do it. He is Wow, not losing this patient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was not expecting it to go. I mean I should never expect it anything, you should not. But I was like, but Charlie, he's like he's a character that we know, Like.
Speaker 3: He's not supposed to die.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I also forgot to mention in the previous episode, or maybe it was even the one before that, wherever the one was where Claire was having contractions and Charlie was starting to count how long they were Yeah, and he said one sugar plum fairy, two sugar plumb fairy. And I was like, oh, like yeah, I mean I guess people in other countries are not going.
Speaker 3: To say Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Mississippi are counting the second.
Speaker 3: Cultural cultural footnote.
Speaker 2: Tell yes, I don't know if that's really what they say in England or wherever.
Speaker 1: Have a correctly syllabled location there that they could insert, But Mississippi just works so well. It should be the just the standard unit.
Speaker 2: Sugar plum fairies nice, you know, brings you a little, a little lighthearted.
Speaker 1: Appropriate, Yes, So all sorts of parenting stuff on that jack thing, how to be a really horrible dad, yes, and how to never give.
Speaker 3: Up, how to stand up to your.
Speaker 1: Really horrible to your dad. And also you know, you feel responsible for absolutely everybody. Anything that goes wrong, it's because you believed somebody, or you didn't believe somebody, you know. And when Ethan comes to him with stop or I'm gonna kill one of them, so therefore that will be his fault too, So he's kind of, you know, whatever he does, something bad is gonna happen. I know that feeling. Yeah, that's a parent thing. Yeah, it's all entirely your responsibility. Whatever goes wrong, it's your fault. Whatever goes right was probably because something somebody else did right that was just luck. And the scene where he's walloping Charlie and Kate is standing by, going jack jack st. I think my husband may relate to that. Sometimes just go off like seems extreme. You could just back down a little bit. She's got to be going, oh what is this guy? He's so hyper competent sometimes and sometimes he's just completely nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes he's just beating the crap out of a dead person.
Speaker 1: After that scene, my husband said he was just mostly dead. Right, tip of the hat to the Princess Brian.
Speaker 3: He's only mostly dead.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, and a new babysitter has entered the chat, which is Hurley.
Speaker 1: Playing back him, and it was wals He's delightful. Oh he's delightful, is early? Yes, much better, much better babysitter. I'm gonna be stabbing a boar or doing anything dangerous, right, However, Walt does less. Let's slip that he has another dad, preivably his mother's has been door significant other.
Speaker 2: Right, That's that's what I would guess. I mean, I don't suppose that that's all that shocking, you know, Yeah, I mean that he's never lived with Michael and right, but but we don't know, like the backstory of why does his mom keep hauling him all over the place? And right, how they end up in Australia.
Speaker 1: Right, given the example of Michael's stellar parenting, would Brian not have fought him for custody? But there not have been some arrangement. I bet you could have paid that guy off to keep the kid. Yeah, it's like, you know, volunteering for every possible dangerous mission because you know, it's not like he has anything to live for, right buddy that he needs to take care of. Yeah, she's well, now he's a child protective services in the jungle, that guy would be in trouble. Yes, Actually, maybe the others are going to be the child protective services. I would watch out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's yeah, they want the baby, but they don't care about Walts. Apparently we'll see.
Speaker 2: We get Locke and Boone having some discussions and we.
Speaker 3: Find out by time. So, yeah, we find out.
Speaker 2: Boone is being very cagey about how he works in the wedding industry.
Speaker 3: Like why is this so.
Speaker 1: You know, what really humiliating thing does he do? I wonder? Yeah, like mail a bachelorrette parties.
Speaker 3: I mean it sounded like that.
Speaker 2: He really didn't want to get specific about what it was.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile, Locke tells him exactly what he did, right. Boon's like, oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: Right, a box company.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's what they all say.
Speaker 1: He had one of those titles that make you think, oh my gosh, this is just exactly where he was a guy in a cubicle with no future.
Speaker 3: Yep. I think he said he was in collections, didn't he?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think so. Just sounds like the most worst ray and desperate and horrible. Yea horrible job. Oh well, but now now look at him. He's a master tracker.
Speaker 3: That's right, he's a master tracker. He can hunt for.
Speaker 1: Jack says, no, we have to keep going, and Locke says, okay, fine, I'm gonna go back to the caves. I'm gonna sumle my through.
Speaker 2: Right, Yea, I will find you because I know you won't get very far.
Speaker 1: Kate's like, I have to go with him.
Speaker 3: I have to stay with him.
Speaker 1: The Lock is like, fine, you do your thing, I'll do mine. Man. Although Jack is the one who found Charlie, so.
Speaker 3: That's right, there you go. But did they go did.
Speaker 1: Go around and start enough?
Speaker 2: You might buy well, it was Kate, who was like, oh, it might be a fake trail, and let's go. So in fact, it was a fake trail, right yeah, if a throw them off the scent trail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we Locke did not find Charlie or Claire, but he did. They did find what will come to be known as the hatch.
Speaker 3: Oh. Yes, that was the end of the episode.
Speaker 1: In the ground, what could it be?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not going to venture, I guess that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Just a manhole cover. You know, you're doing some roadwork there in the jungle. It's got some tools and pipes and stuff. Right, sure, there'll be nothing dramatic about it whatsoever. No, but Locke's eyes lit up pretty good when he saw that.
Speaker 2: Gets some mystery, and I'm gonna be the first one.
Speaker 1: In Yep, yep, yep. Nothing really good happened if this episode did.
Speaker 2: No except for except for Walt winning twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: That's true, it's true. Except I have a feeling that Hurley is not good for it.
Speaker 3: He's not going to collect it. Yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: But you know, glad to see Walt having some fun with somebody.
Speaker 3: That's right, me too.
Speaker 1: You ever played backgammon, not for like decades, probably, I don't. I had a boyfriend in high school who played back Ammon, and so I played a lot of backabon for a very short time, and then I have never played it since. People who like to play it like to play it.
Speaker 2: Walt seemed to be good at it, good getting the picked it right up, getting the roles that he needed from the dice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Are we supposed to read anything into that that he's able to get just the roles he needed?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Everything. You should feel free to read everything, anything into everything, right because even if you're wrong, it will be something else, it will be just as ridiculous. Right, So you know, that's what this show is all about. As I have mentioned, people did, to a large extent just write thousands and thousands of words about this leaf that they passed. So and I read them and it was fun. Excellent job by that actor playing Jack's dad of being just entirely loathsome and even the well even the nurses hate him apparent. Oh golly, well, those are our daddy issues for today. Okay, except we did we did also hear about Kate Kate and her tracking dad, That's right, we did so little a little warm moment from Kate's pass there that will probably turn out to be how she ran away from things, Yeah, escaped or why or some of the outback. Yeah, I'm sure she's sounds sounds real nice now. But I bet they had issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet she and her dad had some issues.
Speaker 1: Daddy isshes here, Daddy ishes there everywhere. Ah Well. Next Tuesday, we will continue with season one, episode twelve of Lost, called whatever the Case May Be, and it is in fact a Kate flashback episode. Those two characters are jumping the line. There's like tears, yes, ones in their contract we will get a flashback episode every so many episodes, and everybody else is like whenever, it's fine, I'll just take one place to get to you. You can tell you can give them all the mortal and moral anguish. I'll just I'll just be over here getting you know. My chest pounded on. Oh my so Also today, as you hear, this is the premiere of Dancing with the Stars season thirty three. It's back in all it's fangly glory, and this is a show that we've often watched and discussed in the past. This time around, at least for the first bunch of episodes of it. We are going to talk about it on Thursdays as part of our weekly roundup because here these networks don't schedule thing and things in a way that it's convenient for us to record and talk about them.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 1: What's with that? We have network, you know, So this is about the best we can do is talk about a Tuesday night show on Thursday. We appreciate your patience because I'm sure that once you watch, you immediately want to hear what did Terry and Catherine think about it? But Thursday's pretty quick, you know, too, sleeps until you can hear us, so that will be coming up in addition to tomorrow's chat about only murders in the building. Sure also inconveniently scheduled or over it. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 3: You can also talk to.
Speaker 2: Us on our Facebook page, on Instagram, or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.