Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists podcast. My name is gaming Person. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. So five four, three, two and one, our folks, welcome back to the podcast. Very excited to have my guest today, Michelle Smith. Michelle, welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me guy, It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Awesome. So, Michelle has over ten years of experience supporting individuals through trauma, grief, life transitions, anxiety, among other issues. Trained in EMDR, DBTIFS, Gottman couple therapy, and more. She offers a holistic, client setted approach that integrates mind body practices with evidence based care. She provides a compassionate, non judgmental space for clients of all backgrounds to heal, grow and reach their goals. All right, Michelle, a little bit about you, but before we doing, share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So originally I'm from Edmon, Oklahoma. I was born outside of Washington, d C. Alexandria but spent most of my time growing up in this area. Went to Florida to get my master's for a while, came back, had a family, so I'm back here. Kind of went around the block a little bit, but I am currently located in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's dive in here. How the heck does this path passion start for you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it started, I would say my first psychology class, to be honest with you, guy, I started learning about the brain, and I feel like I was always curious about why do people do the things they do? Why did they respond the way they respond? And my first psychology class, I remember taking it in high school and I felt like a whole world was unlocked where I had to know more. I had to figure out how can I get into this, how can I support people who are also curious about this? So really started very early for me and continue to grow from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, so you do that in high school. You obviously go to college and what do you are you thinking? Okay, this is it. I'm going to become a therapist or what I think.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to be a therapist.
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever wavered from that, but I would say, you know, my experience as I went to Master's school was very impactful for me personally.
Speaker 2: My father was under cancer.
Speaker 3: He was very sick during this time and actually was one of the reasons why I moved to Florida to be close to him. During my Master's program, he had passed away. I had just gotten married. I was understanding grief and life challenges in trauma in real time in my personal life while I'm trying to understand how to learn how to support others going through that and observing that and understanding that from a personal lens, I think was incredibly impactful for me and doubled down my need to understand connection, understand why we need others to heal and so for me that was incredibly impactful and created a lot of meaning around why I do what I do and how I can sit across clients in those spaces.
Speaker 2: Of course, as a human.
Speaker 1: It's obviously, as we all know, one thing to learn something in the pages of a book, and another thing you know entirely to go through it. What was that experience like for you, I mean, what was that process like for you? I mean having to deal with your father and then studying that. And then there's also the process of working with others, you know, how we absorb that talk to us about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I learned very quickly the depths of suffering and pain that people can be in and to really build a quick empathy to that. Like you said, it can be one thing learning this in a book, but when you experience this, you really understand. Wow, how vulnerable that is for somebody to even want to come sit across for me and share their story and be within that emotion. That is incredibly brave, incredibly courageous. And it taught me how privileged this job is to do what I do. It also challenged me to build healthy boundaries and self care and ways to be able to do this work. Very quickly, I remember realizing that this is important not only to take care of myself, but to be the best version of myself that I can be as I sit across clients. And so what does that mean for my life outside? How do I spend time with my grief, How do I spend time with my work, my education, myself? What do I need to be able to process those emotions? And during that time I became very close to yoga and meditation. I started exploring different pathways of spirituality and things that were important for me. The meaning created in that loss, what does that mean? How do I carry on my father's legacy through the work that I do? That was very important for me. So it challenged me to really figure that out quickly, quick quicker than maybe I would have wanted to, to be honest, guy, But I'm grateful for it as I look back on this experience and how it got me here, right.
Speaker 1: You know for me, And I'm interested to hear your thought on this. I mean, going through an experience like that with your father, A lot of people handle it differently. You know. There are those of us who feel kind of I don't want to say comfortable, but we can quote unquote we can be in that moment, we can be in that fire in a sense, and for others it's like, Nope, I don't want to deal with that. I don't want to get in that fire. Yeah, and deal with it that way. Where did you find yourself in that along that continuum?
Speaker 3: I think it was very circumstantial. So there were times where I felt like I had the capacity to be with that emotion and I was able to utilize my resources. And then there was time where I remember feeling incredibly flooded and running out of class and crying and being wondering, will I ever be able to be strong enough to support people through this if I myself am not strong enough to manage the eubs and the flows of my own life. And so it was very it was very moment by moment at first, and I really had to hone in on my own therapy, my own resources, you know, understanding how I can make it through this and utilize this as an opportunity to create meaning in the work that I do.
Speaker 2: So to answer your question, it was up and down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, So well let's talk about that. I mean, when you say use this opportunity to create meaning, what are you saying there talking about that?
Speaker 2: So I remember, you know, being in graduate school.
Speaker 3: One of the first things that we learned as we read man Search for Meaning, and that's a book by Victor Frankel, who was this incredible psychologist who was spent time in Auschwitz, and he talked about how we always have a choice to perceive, to perceive and to recognize how you want to look at things and how you want to think and how you want to behave And so that was pivotal for me to think about my grief journey in that way. And my father was somebody who really taught me to love and understand people's stories. He was somebody in the aviation world, but became a big leader and would give time of day to anybody, anybody who crossed the street. He wanted to know their story, he wanted to learn more about them, and that was such a beautiful thing that I always admired about him. And that's what honestly made me interested in understanding the brain to be honest guy. And so I wanted to know, how can I carry that legacy with me? How can I transform this grief into meaning? Because we know that that is a part of the healing process with grief. We know that eventually we want to carry on the best parts of the people that we've lost, And so that was a question for me.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I knew it at the moment.
Speaker 3: I think I was curious about it, and eventually it continued to grow. But for me, that kind of was an anchor, that was an ink through it is that eventually I will be able to carry this legacy on, and I want to do that every moment I sit down with clients, every moment I do something that's intentional with my job.
Speaker 2: Right, you want to.
Speaker 1: Understand the meaning of the situation or what I.
Speaker 2: Want to carry on.
Speaker 3: I think I wanted to carry on an empathy, a connection of value to people's stories.
Speaker 2: That for me was the meaning is that every story has.
Speaker 3: Value, even when we feel like we have shame attached to it, or we feel like there's negative emotions or difficult things to process, that we can learn from those stories. So I wanted my clients to feel that hopefulness that maybe something positive or maybe something meaningful can come from the story. Maybe you're experienced felt super icky, but you can look back and say it created this meaning for me. And so I think that's what I meant. If that makes.
Speaker 1: Sense, Okay, move mind everyone, I'm speaking with Michelle Smith. So what does that look like when you're working with someone? How do you work with that? How do you interject that into the relationship.
Speaker 3: So it's really a sense of presence, building a sense of presence and doing the work outside of my sessions so that I can be fully present with my clients. I think a lot of the work that we do is sitting across from folks, but it's also every single moment outside of that, Right, How am I getting myself to the place where I can really listen and be curious and understand what does that mean to them?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Being able to approach things from a non judgmental standpoint and expand my education of different culturals, sensitivities, and backgrounds, and really recognize also the similarities that we all.
Speaker 2: Have as humans.
Speaker 3: More so, I mean, that's another reason why I got into this work, because I truly believe that humans we have so much in common.
Speaker 2: Of course we have differences, but we have these experiences.
Speaker 3: Of pain and meaning and loss and love and connection. And how can we hone in on that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So that's something that I'm always considering as I'm sitting across from a client. How can I bridge this gap of humanity between us?
Speaker 1: When you first started out, you seem to have a very kind of inspired and inspiring palette of emotions and feelings from what you draw when you're working with your clients. Was was that always present or did that? Did that grow and evolve as you've been in this field.
Speaker 3: I think it may have been present, but I had to do the work to be willing to grow it and evolve it over time. Right, So I had to look at that and I had to be willing to work through maybe any shame or old belief systems or pillback layers that may have told me that that doesn't have value. Right, we have so much that society tells us vulnerability as weakness that how much is fair to share, especially as a therapist being vulnerable? What does that look like? While also aligning with my ethics and things like that? So I really had to challenge that. I had to think about who do I want to be, what type of practice do I want to show up? What would I want from that therapeutic dynamic and challenge that? And so I had to break down a lot of barriers to get there and be brave enough to do that type of work as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, you.
Speaker 1: Just opened up an amazing question here. So how do you answer that question? What do what kind of therapists do you want to be? YEA, Yeah, how do you want to show up? And to what do we are you sharing your vulnerability or being vulnerable within it within therapy.
Speaker 3: I think the most important thing is I want my clients to feel safety, you know, and as we know with trauma, we really struggle with feeling an internal sense of safety. Right, We don't even sometimes we don't even know what feels safe or what's the difference between safety and survival.
Speaker 2: And so part of that is modeling that.
Speaker 3: For my client and showing up with an essence and a presence of safety and being able to mirror that and being able to support them. And so part of that work is being understanding about what creates safety for me and how can I show up and create an environment of safety for my clients, creating a sense of belonging, a connection where maybe they haven't had a safe one in a really long time.
Speaker 1: Right, So how it get specific? How do how does one create a safe environment with it? What do you do? So?
Speaker 3: I think when it starts in the therapeutic process, I want to really hear, once again, hear someone's story. I want to understand where are you coming from? What lenses are you what lenses are you looking at the world through without its lens of judgment? Right, putting my own biases, putting my own experiences, aside and really challenging those with my own therapeutic work and making sure that I'm staying open and present.
Speaker 2: So I'm hearing your story. I'm understanding.
Speaker 3: We're creating treatment goals, right, we're collaborating on this. We're talking about, Okay, what if you could you feel the sense of healed, if you could feel connected? What would that be like? Right, let's talk about that. And then we're making treatment plans together, and we're making sure and I'm checking in right, and I'm saying, how are things going?
Speaker 2: Is this helpful? Is this not helpful? I'm checking my own self.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm opening a collaborative relationship with a client to say, hey, if something doesn't stick with you, or if it feels icky, you tell me that.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: This is a relationship where I want to create safety where you may have never been able to do that in your family system, or you've never been able to challenge somebody and say, you know what, Michelle, this doesn't seem like it's working. So let's move, let's pivot. And I welcome that. I talk about that a lot, right, I'm calling that out. I'm noticing, Oh, you responded this way, Does that mean something right. So I'm really trying to build this constant awareness of my clients and every moment and every second in their sessions and beyond right, in communication, beyond, and I think that that builds trust, that builds a sense of safety, and hopefully over time that opens up a sense of vulnerability for their stories to be heard.
Speaker 1: When you first started doing this, when you first started working with individuals who maybe experienced trauma into personal trauma more specifically, what was it like for you?
Speaker 3: It's it's difficult because of course you can't take yourself out of your experience with the work that we do, right, We're always going to be a human, and this idea of like leaving yourself at the door, I think is a little unrealistic as a human as a therapist, and honestly, people want human humanity and.
Speaker 2: Their therapies, right.
Speaker 3: So I'm also recognizing that and thinking that you know, if you want to talk to your robot, you could, but you're not. You're here with me, right, So what level of honesty and integrity and vulnerability can I bring to you and understand and share what self disclosure is appropriate when is it not appropriate?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And so also finding avenues to share my story I think that are outside of my therapeutic work. Like this itself is very valuable because I can share these resources with my current clients, and I can let them in to different parts of my inner world so that they don't feel so alone. I think it could feel so one sided with a therapeutic relationship where they're spilling their guts and then I'm not even telling you anything about myself. So if you are curious about that, here's all this avenue to understand me as a human, because that also matters. You want to you want to believe me and understand me as a human as well as a therapist. Right, A lot of people do at least.
Speaker 1: Right, and that you know there, I guess it was a time and a place for that one sidedness, right with sechon analysis. I mean that certainly was present for a long time. People still practice that. But how did you learn the importance of being vulnerable within the therapeutic relationship? Were there moments or experiences you've had were like, oh my god, you know, yeah, I can share this, but not that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: In my early work, I did a lot of community mental health, so I worked in like high schools with at risk youth or like teen treatment centers, things like that, And I especially found with that population the realness, the genuineness created this bridge of connection. Right, So if I sometimes the self disclosure, like for example, I remember a girl that I had, I worked in an at risk youth I did groups all the time, so that was like my first job as I would just do group after group, seven eight groups a day and being able to understand those group dynamics, and maybe there was I remember there was one student that really struggled with the group, so I'd pull them aside and I'd say, hey, what's going on here, right, like what are you struggling? And they actually had a death in their family and I was able to solve That was one of the first times I self disclosed about my father and my loss. And after that, that relationship with that with that particular group participant was amazing. She started showing up, she wanted to participate. She's like, can I come to two times a day? Miss Michelle?
Speaker 2: And I'm like absolutely. So, you know, it's sometimes.
Speaker 3: You have to give a little vulnerability for someone else to give back and create this ping pong effect.
Speaker 2: And I think I learned that through that experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that. Several several months ago, when I was ready to get back into therapy, I had moved and I called the therapist i'd been working with in California and I emailed her and she said she was no longer seeing clients and I was like, oh my god, but she could recommend some She recommended three other people. Yeah. I was like, all right, I'll check these people out. So I did. And the first person and they were all competent, I'm sure, but the first person I contacted, I emailed and we ended up having a video chat and she spent like fifteen minutes telling me like what modality she was gonna use and what interview. I was like, I don't care. I want a friggin human being. Yeah, you know, I want a human being. And I think there's oftentimes a tendency for therapists to feel like they're walking on eggshelves. You know, I can't share this. My god, I'm going And what are your thoughts on that? Do you feel that, first of all, do you agree with that? Do you think that's changing? Do you feel people or the therapy the therapist's landscape now is shifting. What are your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I totally see that shifting, especially with the types of clients that are attracted to me. And I've noticed that as I step more into my authenticity, the right clients find me. Right, So I'm trying to set those precedence in the beginning that it is a safe place.
Speaker 2: Please let me know.
Speaker 3: I always say, like one of the first things that come out in my mouth is I'm a human.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna screw up.
Speaker 3: Please utilize this as an opportunity to practice calling me out. Hey, Michelle, this is wrong, or hey, by the way, right. So I'm always constantly giving that feedback to clients and hoping to open that door. And I'm noticing that as I step more into my authenticity, the right client seem to find me and attract me. So it's almost a mutual process. It's almost like a magnet. Is if I step into my authenticity, the right things are going to attract and the wrong things are going to repel.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh well, yeah, I love that. That's very interesting where you have a very open, accepting presence about you. You know, you have a very quick smile that certainly puts me at ease and I can. I'm sure it puts a lot of clients that he used too. And also, I think what you do when you say, you know, I'm a human, I'm going to screw up what that does? Really? It also shifts that dynamic right from the therapist being up here to the client being way down here. It levels the playing field in a sense. Oh yeah, because power is the client.
Speaker 3: There's such a power dynamic when you're stepping into a dynamic for therapy. And I always tell my clients too, like you are the expert on you. You know yourself better than I ever, will that anybody else?
Speaker 2: Ever? Will you have the valuable information here?
Speaker 3: So I might say something and it might not fit with you, and that's your opportunity to say yeah, no or yeah, actually we need this right. So leveling the playing field and decreasing the power dynamics can help in so many ways, especially with other medical professionals. I know a lot of clients struggle with that too, advocating for themselves. So I'm like, let's use this as the practice realm, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, So would you say, let me put the question a different way, who do you work with? Who do you love to work with and within that, do you have a particular element that you feel like is zone of genius, like I love working in this way or what?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say like I So trauma is my focus mostly, but my main focus is to support folks who are wanting to rewire their subconscious brains.
Speaker 2: So those who are.
Speaker 3: Like maybe they've tried different types of talk therapy before, maybe they've recognized, you know, different patterns, but they still feel very stuck. They're like, you know, these circumstances come up and it's almost like this volcano erupts and I feel like I'm not in control.
Speaker 2: A lot of the.
Speaker 3: Times that's based on subconscious belief systems, challenges, what have you. So that is what I'm really passionate about, is being able to help clients rewire their subconscious brain. And I always talk about when you do that, when your belief system shifts, everything shifts, right, my lens of perception shifts so the way. So maybe nothing changes externally, but I'm waking up, I'm thinking differently, I'm behaving differently, I'm responding differently. I'm not focusing so much here, but I'm focusing more here. So I love to work with clients who maybe have had a little bit of challenge with their to be honest before and are like, I don't know, this is my last resort, like let's do this.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, I'm up for this. Let's do this together.
Speaker 1: Right, So me interrupted there for a second. So I love that. So rewiring someone's subconscious beliefs. So you're talking about if someone gets in these like maybe uh, dysfunctional patterns or debilitating patterns, or have limiting belief how that How the hell do you do that?
Speaker 3: It's a process, right, I'm sure it is, yeah, because I have so many limiting beliefs.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And we all do, right, we all do.
Speaker 3: And I always talk about you know, as long as you're breathing, you get a chance to keep doing it and keep rewiring. So what a privilege for us to be able to connect to that gratitude. It starts with understanding the story, right, It starts with that process of me really understanding how did these things come? How did you learn a lot of times it relates back to safety with trauma, learn to protect yourself through these responses. And now they don't fit, but they are the most they're ninety percent of your brain. They are the most automatic part of ourselves. Is most of our lives around autopilot, right, So I'm helping you acknowledge that, and then I'm teaching different treatment modalities that may allow you to shift in thinking. Whether that's AMDR memory processing, clinical hypnosis, bringing in positive suggestions based on your treatment needs and practicing those, or maybe it's doing some IFS work that's deeper and understanding those subconscious connections to the safety or interweaving.
Speaker 2: A lot of these things. I'm very eclectic in my approach based on the.
Speaker 3: Client's needs, but that is what I'll be doing, is helping them understand it and then rewire it in a process.
Speaker 1: How did you talked a little bit about your father's impact on you and what he stood for. Was that the impetus to move in that direction?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean I think my value of understanding people and knowing that there is no bad people. There are people who bad things have happened to and they've learned how to survive bad ways.
Speaker 2: That's truly a belief of mine.
Speaker 3: I do not believe that you know there's good and bad or trying to not have attachment to those types of labels, and so I think that that allowed me to look at people who struggle, or people who get into addiction or challenging behavioral responses, or have shame around that. Looking at that from a lens of compassion versus a lens of judgment is so perative for me in the way that I'm looking at people's stories.
Speaker 2: Right, I love that?
Speaker 1: All right? Michelle? How do people learn more about you? First of all? Do how do you work with clients? Do you do you working solely online or what?
Speaker 2: Yeh? So I'm solely virtual.
Speaker 3: I am currently licensed in forest States, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, and New Hampshire. So I do do individual psychotherapy, intensive therapy, couples therapy, and group therapy, all virtual. If you're interested in learning more about my practice, are scheduling a free consult with me? You can visit my website at www dot Michelle Smith, l m HC dot com and you can find all the information on my website from there.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have all that linked up here at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapist Podcast dot com. Uh, Michelle, awesome, you are very inspiring. I mean, you have you have you have this. I don't want to see you have an essence about you and are about you. That's very it is. It's very calming and I love it. I love to have you back at a later date.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would love to be back as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your your dogs.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh don't worry about it, please, my dog's here. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, Sorry, bye bye,