Speaker 1: All right, Happy hump Day. This is Kentucky in this morning news here on news Radio eight forty Whas Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 1: I hope you knew that. If not, if not, now you do so. Shane Timura Tamura is the shooter who was targeting the NFL headquarters.
Speaker 2: We now know that.
Speaker 1: And I just when you consider the final moments, final minutes, seconds of that entire situation before it ended with him killing himself and then the realization that multiple people lost their life, including a law enforcement officer. He got on the wrong elevator, which is being reported, and I just you never know what would have happened had he got on the right elevator and ended up. I guess where he wanted to be, which was in the NFL office space that was there in that building in Manhattan. But I can't imagine any I can't imagine one being there. Maybe I'm going to work whatever it may be. I mean, it's just a it's something you hope to never experience yourself. But one thing that I've found to be interesting to me, and I don't know, I really can't explain why it interests me the way that it does, but hearing of people who knew someone like this that committed such a heinous act, because you would then think like, should I have seen some signs?
Speaker 2: Like what is this real?
Speaker 1: But yeah, just a tragic situation. And unfortunately it's not that uncommon that these things occur. And that's just if I had the solution on how to fix it, I probably wouldn't be sitting here yap in my mouth in front of a microphone. But I hope that one day it becomes way more surprising and way more of a rarity to see these mass shootings take place.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So one thing that we have talked about quite a bit this morning, if you are just now joining us, is the David Cam interview that Terry Miners had yesterday.
Speaker 2: I encourage you to check it out.
Speaker 1: Twenty five years ago, David Cam came home after playing in a men's basketball league and found his two young children and his wife murdered in his garage, and then he of course ended up being convicted twice of that twice for that, went to prison for thirteen years and has now of course been exonerated and has now been free for quite some time. But the interview with Terry was just really well done and it's just a reminder of sort of what that case was. And what I've been mentioning throughout the morning is that had that taken place in a more modern era, with true crime being such a dominant genre like it is, I mean, I think we'd have been talking about a making a murderer type of situation if you remember that that documentary that came out roughly ten years ago on Netflix with Steven Avery, and I just remember that being the ultimate Because when it comes to true crime, there's a lot of different types of content stories, if you will, and I think ones that really hook you more than anything is the constant man, I don't know, did he do it?
Speaker 2: Did she do it? And this one, I don't know how you.
Speaker 1: Can look at what has been put out there throughout the multiple trials they had. I mean, this guy was innocent, and it it really is insane to see the way in which this investigation was flawed. To say the least, this guy had multiple eleven alibi witnesses and was still twice convicted based on what was clearly manufactured evidence. And I don't know how law enforcement is not more accountable when wrongful convictions happen. I mean to me, that's especially when you have prosecutors knowingly using not legitimate evidence. I mean, that's just I can't imagine what I've been saying here and there throughout the morning, and it usually comes to me whenever I'm spinning my wheels not really knowing what to say because I just can't imagine. It's almost you can't make this stuff up. But I was David cam I would probably live every day for the rest of my life from that moment twenty five years ago in every way, not just the multiple convictions or the moment in what was it twenty year was it whenever he was essentially let out of prison. I think it might have been twenty thirteen, but every day for the rest of my life dating back to two thousand, when that happened in September, on September twenty eighth, I would just think, here and there throughout every day, my mind would be, well, there's no way this is real. There's no way this is my reality and this really happened. But of course it did. And really, I mean, when you've got three different theories because you have three different trials, because you clearly are striking out. I mean, I just to me, that's very telling of the prosecution, and I think prosecutors should be criminally responsible if they knowingly are using false evidence. So again, really a really good interview. If you didn't get a chance to hear it, Terry did a great job because he's Terry Minors is what he does. But yeah, check it out WHS dot com. You'll find the podcast link there. All right, Hooters, we lost another one here in Kentucky, Anda Jeffersonville. It's a sad thing to see. That was one of those moments, John where I just imagine somebody turning on the radio at that exact moment and they hear me say, Hooters.
Speaker 2: Hey, that was my old stomping grounds, Jeffersonville. Jeffersonville Hooters.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was one of the better Hooters locations I feel like. And it's now closed, and we'll talk about sort of. I guess the speculation as to why Hooters has falling apart because they are. I mean, there's now only I think two left in the area. So we'll get to that in a lot more. First, let's get an update on the traffic situation. Bobby Ellis. We'll get us caught up on how the roadways are looking. Matt Melosovitch will tell us just how disgustingly hot it's going to be today, right here, right now on news Radio eight forty whas we were rocking and rolling here on a Thursday. I'm sorry, it's not Thursday, it's Wednesday. I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm on vacation next week. That's why apologize for that. So if you just had a brief millisecond of thinking you were closer to Friday than you actually are, that's on me.
Speaker 2: Hand up my bad.
Speaker 1: All right, it is Kentuckyanah's morning news here our news Radio eight forty whas. We've got some sad news to share. If you haven't already seen this news, but Hooters in Jeffersonville becomes the latest Hooters location in Kentucky anda to close their door. And I believe there's now only a couple that are left. So in the last I guess in the last last year or so, we lost the one on Dixie Highway, there was one on one in Clarksville that shut down. So right now, with Jeffersonville closing, the only two in the Kentuckian area are Dutchman's Lane and then on Preston Highway, so that I don't really, I don't know why they went from being a really popular, seemingly a highly trafficked business wherever they were to now if you go into any I mean, I can't remember the last time I was out of Hooters, and it felt like it was not only not it didn't feel like the place to be. It just it fell flat. And I don't I don't. You know, I'm sure there's a variety of factors that go into this, but I always felt like the food was good and everybody has their own preference, and you know, I'm sure you could find experiences that weren't great, But like I just there was a time when you consider everything that you know comes with the Hooters experience, I would think to myself, like, there's no.
Speaker 2: Way this is ever going out of business. Look at what we got here.
Speaker 1: We got beer, we got great food, and by the way, they had a great menu as far as just the things.
Speaker 2: And I say this like they're all gone. They're not.
Speaker 1: They're still I'm here around. But imagine telling somebody in like the mid two thousands that we'd end up in this situation where all these Hooters closed there they had to file bankruptcy, which that took place this past March. So about thirty corporate owned locations have closed, and now they're going to try to get some of those corporate locations to be taken over by those who have successfully become I guess, franchisees of Hooters.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I feel like the mid two thousands, the way you were talking, I think that was like there was less wing chains back. No, you're right now, from one.
Speaker 1: That's and that's that's certainly the case around here, Like there are clearly some competitors that that really from a food aspect, they do they do compete with Hooters when it comes to wings. You're right, But you know, I just assumed, maybe that was me thinking that that, you know, we guys were too pervy because I just assumed that people would always choose the the the Hooters over others because of the other aspect that comes with it. But anyways, just two more left. But you're right, John, now that I think about it. You know, I remember roosters becoming a thing around here in Kentucky, and certainly they're very popular, but there's others out there now too, So yeah, sad stuff. I Again, I'm sure people, you know, they got their own taste and preference when it comes to eating chicken and eating out at restaurants. But I've often heard people just dog the food, and I mean I've had experiences where it wasn't great, but I've always liked their food. I mean they got they got good appetizers too. So yeah, I'm gonna have to visit one soon because you never know when the others are gonna be gone. All right, we got another update of Trackick and Weather coming your way right here, right now on news RADIOA forty WHS final segment, Final segment here for us. It's Kentucky and his morning news news Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company with you, Nick Coffee, that's me, Tony, even Eddie Dwight Whitten are coming your way here in just a few But Tony is with us here in studio, finishing up the show with me like.
Speaker 2: He typically does.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you know of these the latest challenge that kids are doing to I guess be cool?
Speaker 3: Well, the internet challenges? No, what's the dumb thing that's doing?
Speaker 1: One is This one is up there as far as maybe being one of the dumbest and also one that might literally cost you your life. And it's LMPD is warning folks of a door kick challenge where kids, for I guess reasons, I don't know how this is actually a prank, but this involves teens violently kicking indoors late at night, filming it and running off and then posting the video of them doing it online. What they get out of this, I don't know. I also don't know what they got out of the tide Pod challenge or other challenges that they've done, but this is one that is beyond stupid and you could easily get killed.
Speaker 3: This is the difference in the generations because this generation has no consequences, so they don't even think about what that consequence would be. Go back in just a couple of years and tell a kid you're going to Kickadorian. That's a felony and you're gonna get shot. They wouldn't even have thought of that for a second. It was all ring the doorbell and run. That was what you did, Ring the doorbell and run. Kids. Why can't you ring the doorbell and run? You're kicking a door in. And by the way, back in the day, not everybody packed is I think everyone in the city of Louisville has a gun. So good luck kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the layers here as far as stupidity is baffling because take away just the fact of how dangerous it is.
Speaker 2: What do you get out, like, what do you get out of it?
Speaker 3: Well, no, you can't ask that because kids are just kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess I guess you're right.
Speaker 3: The frontel lobe you see, is not as developed. I've heard that especially in the male species, the male.
Speaker 1: So what this does, Tony, is it reminds us I guess how important that frontal lobe is.
Speaker 3: At that frontal lobe. And I don't know about the rear lobe or side lobe or but the frontal lobe for men it's important to develop.
Speaker 1: You know. But the benadrill challenge, well, they take large doses of benadriyll to hallucinate, and of course the dangers and that as you could have seizure, you could have you could have heart issues. Also, this one is cutting off oxygen to the brain to feel high. It was called the choking game. Yeah, cinnamon challenge swallowing a spoonful of ground cinnamon without water. That's just I mean, that can be dangerous. Yeah, it's dangerous and it's possible. Do you remember whenever? And I thought this was really well done by Todd because the tide Pod challenge where kids were trying to eat laundry detergent pods. We're talking poisoned chemical burns, many kids hospitalized trying to do it, and Tide hired Grunk to be this the official guy like, hey, guys, I'm even telling you this is stupid.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, my son told me once. He goes, Dad, this is not He goes, you know, the Internet blows it out of proportion. He goes, nobody's doing that. Nobody's doing that. Yes, it looks like a lot of people on the internet, three.
Speaker 1: Across the world for to become news correct and one that I don't remember it being as big of a story nationally, probably because it wasn't done as much as some of these others.
Speaker 3: Well, there were some stupid people our generation because we our generation used to huff free on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is that a prank or is that just that.
Speaker 3: That means if you huff it too many times, you can die.
Speaker 1: But but don't you get do you get like high or something that don get well, that explains well, you know that's anyone but the one that that I just still and I was I was a father at the time, but I my daughter was probably a baby baby when this became a story, and I just remember thinking like, this is the most that that's just the most, the cruelest thing you can do to your parents. But it's the forty eight hour challenge, or you go missing and the goal is to be missing long enough to where you make the local news as a missing kid. Can you imagine putting your parents through that?
Speaker 3: Forget?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like I don't I would never unforgivable, Yeah, I mean and and I don't know how many times it happened. But as an older dad, now somebody who's you know, got my daughter's older and of course my son's growing up a little bit and bored when this became a thing, I'm just like, I can't imagine what those forty eight hours would be like. And it's unforget. I don't think you ever could not think about that as a parent.
Speaker 3: I've lost I lost my kid for four minutes in Florida, and it's still seared into my brain. I told John to watch her. I'm just going to go two flights up to the balcony and get a soda. That's what I'm doing. I'm going to get the soda. Left John and Maggie. Sixty seconds came back. Maggie's not in there. John's under the water doing the snorkeling. Whatever comes back up, like, where're your sister?
Speaker 2: What do you mean what?
Speaker 3: Because he's still a kid. Oh yeah, I'm screaming and yelling, and other parents can hear the tone of voice of a parent that this is real.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's a different tone you pick.
Speaker 1: Up on the panic because I'm sure a lot of parents have had that exact moment where if it's thirty seconds, it feels like thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have a trouble breathing.
Speaker 1: Briefly, would your kids ever have any fear of getting lost that you were? Because my son, he is I don't know. He claims it was a dream, but he won't let us leave the room right now. He is so and he doesn't really have anything. I mean, like I try to ask him, like, buddy, you can't you can't run around the house crying upset because we went to the bathroom and I don't know what.
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 1: Much?
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 3: I'm blaming you?
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 1: Because you know his mom, he's more attached to her. And I finally I took him to lunch last weekend and I was like, you have nothing to be scared of. You didn't used to be like this. What has led to it? He's a four yeah, he's five now, but he's five, so he needs to grow the hell up, Tony, get over this.
Speaker 3: You know he's young. But I will tell you the couple of the moments of the kid's life. We talked about it yesterday or last week when we were talking about putting the child car seats in the car properly. It's like when they get to sit in the front seat for the first time, it's like a huge deal. And or run around the Catholic picnic by themselves, like without being attached to them. They're like what. I'm like, yep, have fun.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I looked at him and said, hey, if somebody snatches you, make sure to take their eyeball. So I knew who to kill.
Speaker 1: And I need to realize when it comes to older kids that you do know and trust, that are old enough to at least keep an eye on your little one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need.
Speaker 1: To be more appreciative of those kids because I had a couple of my nephew who's old enough, because yeah, you know, you don't have that fear because you trust those kids. Yes, and that's a big but he was probably scared. Is he on social media or anything or watches this stuff? My nephew know, your son, he's probably watching stuff on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's why he's getting that from, like what if I get lost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, we weren't exposed to that stuff back then.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: All right, Tony Dwight coming your way next right here on news radio. Wait forty e whs