Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App Garyan Shannon KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, at the top of the hour, we are expecting to get an update from Hurricane World ABC's Jim Ryan, who has covered probably a couple of dozen hurricanes in his time and tropical storms. Of course we will. We'll talk with him at the top of next hour about what's going on. Hurricane Helene was a Category four when it made landfall in floor last night. As obviously weakened considerably, but it's still causing massive problems throughout Georgia, the Carolinas, into Tennessee, up in Virginia, West Virginia, et cetera as it makes its way up through the eastern seaboard.
Speaker 3: Did you hear that.
Speaker 2: That sounded like a toilet flow? I honestly thought that was it was your stomach.
Speaker 3: I'm a little hungry.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Can we get some grown run here, something bone broth or something for Gwenny.
Speaker 4: She's starting to waste away. It's time for swamp.
Speaker 3: Watch the swamp is horrible.
Speaker 4: The government doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Man make It's like a reality TV show, A bad noose.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C. Hey, Joe.
Speaker 5: A town hall too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 6: Still a swamp. I have a watch of Malwarkee boy said, drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so hope. You know the thing.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump has moved the venue for his campaign rally tomorrow in Wisconsin mid concerns over Secret Service staffing. He was supposed to hold this campaign event at an outside airport, and they confirmed that the event was moved to a smaller venue given a shortage of the Secret Service staff. How I guess it coincides with the United Nationals General Assembly.
Speaker 2: The United Nations is in town, so they they, being in the Secret Service, are also responsible for protection details on foreign dignitary so they're obviously stretched quite thin, which makes perfect sense.
Speaker 4: Good good for the campaign to figure that out and do it this way.
Speaker 2: The Secret Service spokesman Anthony Googlielmi, said that the agency couldn't offer specifics on resources. Obviously they don't talk about that. They set out of concern for operational security. We don't provide specific details about those resources allocated for event security or communications between agency personnel or the protectees.
Speaker 4: This has been a rough couple of months.
Speaker 2: You could say, for the Secret Service, rough couple of months for President Trump's ear.
Speaker 1: How do you think this meeting between Trump and Zelensky went today?
Speaker 3: They met in New York.
Speaker 1: Zelensky was going to make a personal pitch to Trump, who openly skeptical of continued support for Ukraine against Russia.
Speaker 2: I think it was I don't want to say pleasant. I think it was professional. I mean I saw the post news conference where the two of them were out there.
Speaker 7: I think the President said the best. This is a war that should have never happened. It should have never happened, and it wouldn't have happened. It's a shame, But this is a war that should have never happened.
Speaker 2: And obviously Trump believes that it wouldn't have happened if he was in office, and he has said that repeatedly. He said, I hope we have Zelensky said, I hope we have more good relations between us, and he says it takes two to tango, and where we're going to have a good meeting today.
Speaker 4: This was pregame.
Speaker 2: I think the fact that we're even together today is a very good sign. When asked why he wanted to meet with Trump, Zelensky was like, I have to, basically saying, I don't know who's going to win this election, so I need to have every I mean, I need to have a relationship with whoever is going to be the president. He met with President Biden yesterday and then met with Vice President Harris afterwards because for that exact same reason. Vice President Harris, by the way, is going to be at the border today. She's expected down in Douglas, Arizona, right along the border, first time she's been along anywhere along the southern border for three years. Trump was asked about that, or I should say, spoke about that at his most recent rally.
Speaker 7: She keeps talking about how she supposedly wants to fix the border. We would merely ask why didn't she do it four years ago?
Speaker 2: That has been sort of the nail that the Republicans have been hammering for some time now, Which is okay, even if you weren't considered officially the borders are. This has been your job for the last three and a half years and you haven't been doing a bang up job at it.
Speaker 1: They just showed a picture of her from El Paso, Texas from June twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that at first. I just saw her at.
Speaker 1: The border and they were all wearing black masks, and I'm like, what's this all about it? And then I saw it was from twenty twenty one, when masks were still a thing.
Speaker 4: We were still pretty crazy at that point.
Speaker 2: They made us wear masks in the hallways here, not in the studios because it's okay.
Speaker 3: We got to have fights over this.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 4: You couldn't walk ten feet from here to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: I guess we were in the other studio at the time, but you couldn't walk twenty feet from the studio door to the bathroom without somebody going mask.
Speaker 1: I think our reaction, our reflex, was to put rum in our Coca Cola's at eleven thirty on Wednesdays for a while.
Speaker 3: We were like, oh, really, you think.
Speaker 1: You want to enforce rules for us, Well, we're going to blow all the rules out of the wall.
Speaker 4: I twice, I think that happened. I think it happened once.
Speaker 1: I think that we did it one time and we were like what are we doing here? Like what this is the middle of the day, Like, we get it, we're over rules, but we can't just flout.
Speaker 3: All the rules.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Governor Newsom did sign a formal apology for California's role in slavery and the legacy of racism against black people, part of a series of reparations bills that he approved yesterday. California actually did ban slavery in its constitution, but it didn't actually have any laws that would make it a crime to keep someone enslaved, so they said that it allowed According to this bill, it allowed slavery to continue. But at the time there were plenty of people who lived in the state and represented the state in the legislature or in Congress who were considered to be pro slavery at the time.
Speaker 3: I am not guilty, your honor.
Speaker 1: Those were the words Eric Adams spoke inside of Manhattan courtroom today when he was a reigned on federal corruption and bribery charges could force him out of office, the first sitting mayor to be brought up on these charges.
Speaker 2: It's not just that he was taken these taking one hundred thousand dollars worth of free plane tickets and luxury hotel stays, etc. But also that he was using a city program to match funds, and basically they said to the tune of about ten million dollars he was ripping off that fund. Questions about why would the Turkish government want to have that much of a footprint in New York City politics.
Speaker 1: It's because they think he is going to go on to greater things. They believed he would become president of the United States at one point. And apparently this goes on all the time with foreign nationals where they pick municipal leaders.
Speaker 4: They make an early bet on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they get in there early so that these people will remember them when they become something. So it's apparently quite popular for them to identify rising political stars in America and start paying them off.
Speaker 4: Quick.
Speaker 2: Back to the campaign, we will see a big debate coming up. I shouldn't say big, but it is a debate coming up on Tuesday, and that of course is going to be between Republican Senator Jade Vance of Ohio and Democratic Minnesota Governor Tim Walls. We will actually be airing that live on Tuesday night here on KFI There's also a couple of different poles that have come out, and I wanted to talk about a.
Speaker 6: Moment jail all right by the way holes.
Speaker 2: Pole, because I think it's important to keep in mind. There's a headline in The Hill right now on the Hill dot com that says Harris narrowly beating Trump in six key battleground states, and it's referring to a new poll that came out from Bloomberg News and Morning Consult and says that Harris has the edge over Trump in states like Nevada, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Michigan, North Carolina, and Wisconsin, and refers to a seven point lead that she supposedly has over him in Nevada. But I want to point this out, that's an outlier poll. If you look at the last several poles that have been taken specifically in Nevada, there are five poles that I'm looking at here. Only one of them gives her a seven point bump, and that's this Bloomberg pole. The others are one point and the last one is tied. Now to give you an idea in terms of just keeping in mind that there are multiple poles, and everybody can read different things into whichever pole. If you look at Arizona as an example, there are three, six, seven poles that have come out in the last week or so, and Trump leads in all of them except one. He leads in six of the seven poles, but the headline is Harris is leading in Arizona. I don't believe any of this crap. And it's all within the margin of error at this point, isn't.
Speaker 6: This point still? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Except there's there's two of those polls, the Arizona polls, that are outside the margin of error. One of them has Trump leading by five. That's a New York Times poll, so you'd argue that that's one of the better polls. The other one is a USA Today Suffolk poll which puts trum Ump up by six. But the others are still within the margin of err so still a very close race, whatever it is. Would you like your Jeopardy question?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Inspired characters for twelve hundred dollars Inspired characters.
Speaker 1: John Nettleship was rather distressed when told he was an inspiration for this fearsome Harry Potter professor.
Speaker 2: Oh no, the one played by Alan Rickman is that it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's his name?
Speaker 2: Though that was not Dumbledore. This doubled isn't bad. It was the old guy, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dumbledore was the guy with the beard.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch any of these or read any of them, but just it's Snape.
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Snape? I did?
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean Snape. I didn't get it in the right time, but you still got there. Wait, Harry Potter, I know, I know Smith died.
Speaker 3: I know what are the odds? That question was about the other professor?
Speaker 4: What was her name?
Speaker 6: She was?
Speaker 3: This is not our age bracket? Where's Blake? What Jacob said? Professor McGonagall?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, McGonagall, that makes perfect sense. Friday, so late in the show.
Speaker 2: During football season, of course, we do our Gas Fantasy four play. We have served four games. They've been tough the last couple of weeks. I mean we didn't play Week one because the NFL scheduled it early.
Speaker 3: Jacob's done with pussy footing around these games.
Speaker 4: He's picking the very difficult ones.
Speaker 2: But we'll have four games that we'll choose from from the NFL schedule, and we'll play along with you on Twitter, where you can decide who you think is going to win each of those four games. We do what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show. Leave us a message on the talkback feature on the iHeart app. All you do is why you're listening on the app. There's a little button that's got a microphone on it. You hit that button and you leave us a quick message. Just tell us what you learn could be truthful, could be semi truthful, whatever it is, but what you learned last We learn things so far, So far, we have many we have many things that have been learned.
Speaker 3: Well, that's nice, that's uplifting.
Speaker 2: Also, the nine news nuggets you need to know this is the way we end the week traditionally, and that is the stories that were really we really wanted to get to, but they were too crazy. We had more important things that we had to pay attention to. So that's all coming up a little bit later in the show. Reminder, Tonight, your National League West champion Dodgers take on the Rockies in Colorado.
Speaker 4: First pitches at five o'clock.
Speaker 2: Listen to every play on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all the games NHD on that iHeartRadio app. Use the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA And I would like to say I do think the Colorado Rockies, because without them, the Giants would be.
Speaker 4: In last place.
Speaker 3: Okay, want a good story?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 4: We have a good story.
Speaker 3: Yes, there it is.
Speaker 1: After six decades of friendship fostered by hand written letters, Jacob. There's these things and they're called pens, and they write on a thing called paper. And there are these things called postage stamps and envelopes. And sometimes you don't write just pictures like in a text. You write out words and thoughts and all sorts of feelings.
Speaker 6: Is there emojis?
Speaker 2: There are not emojis, Jacob. That I mean rarely was there a happy face emoji. But it's not like you had a thumb's opera. No strong biceps, you know, flex?
Speaker 3: No, sometimes there's a heart at the end.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, Heart's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I mean, the list of written out emojis is like two or three long.
Speaker 4: There's no yes, you have.
Speaker 3: To write down.
Speaker 1: I am literally laughing out loud at what you said in your last letter.
Speaker 3: Jane. It wasn't Jane.
Speaker 1: It was Emily from Pennsylvania and Brenda from Georgia. They're both in their late seventies, and yeah, they've been writing to each other since their middle school teachers paired them up as pen pals sixty years crazy.
Speaker 2: They talk about being middle schoolers and that they bonded over their girlhood at the time, and during the early stages of their mutual pen paledness, that Emily and Brenda stayed in touch weekly or monthly with letters about their lives, the easy stuff, right, how's school going, how are your grades, what's the weather like where you are? All of those things.
Speaker 1: Well, they have gone viral because one of the lady's daughters posted a picture of them finally meeting their first ever interaction in a now viral video. Emily Well in the Instagram video, it was posted a few days ago. It was shared by Emily's daughter, Christina, sits at a table with her eyes closed, and then Brenda comes into the frame, puts her hands around Emily's eyes and speaks to her from behind.
Speaker 3: Sounds kind of creepy.
Speaker 1: Emily did not realize who was behind her, saying at one point, I don't recognize the voice. Brenda continues to speak, finishing her sentence with bless your heart. That's when Emily exclaims Brenda before turning around and they share a long embrace.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Assigned as pen pals in middle school, they were to help learn to write in cursive, Jacob Cursive is it's like print, but the letters flow together. They're all connected, usually at a slight slant. Uh An description of curtsives.
Speaker 4: Sometimes that a slight slash.
Speaker 3: I really boil it down, don't I?
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, And people are responding things like girlhood is forever. There's no age limit on girlhood. And it's true, like I have friends from middle school and we laugh just as hard now as we did back then. It's just this forever bond, no matter.
Speaker 4: How old you are.
Speaker 2: There's something also very pure about this relationship because after the letter writing came a phone conversation.
Speaker 4: They started talking on the phone the same thing.
Speaker 2: They would talk about jobs and marriages and weather and eventually grandkids and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yet one time there was stage four breast cancer. Emily had been diagnosed with that and Brenda had breast cancer at one time as well, so it drew them even closer.
Speaker 2: They said, we just kept a positive attitude and we do our very best to uplift each other and everyone around us to stay positive, and Brenda admits she says she's not very phone savvy because they kept in touch through the writing letters, but they never once emailed, They never once texted, They never once did a zoom call. They kept it very, very low tech, which may add a tiny bit of natural I don't know relationship to it kept out all of the extra stuff. But Brenda says it was wonderful to see her. I had seen pictures of her, but not in a long time, so it was wonderful to see her. It was like seeing an old friend. She says, I feel much closer to her because I put my arms around her and hugged and we both cried together, and it just made I think our friendship that much stronger.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of a pen pal.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of keeping up, the ability to write and communicate in ways that are not just sending each other hieroglyphics back like the cave men did.
Speaker 2: E glyphics for cave painting on our phones. Well, yeah we are, it's mojis.
Speaker 4: We met a new friend yesterday.
Speaker 6: Hey Gary, Hey.
Speaker 8: Shannon had an absolute blast at the news and bruis yesterday with my first time going in and definitely won't ever miss one again in the future if I can. But I can't believe it. These same politicians that paid to have all that grant shipped over to Italy and then shipped back over here are the same politicians that don't want us all get into electric vehicles to produce our mission.
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: What the heck?
Speaker 8: How does this make sense? But I got to give my phone back. Come over at a Passages Malibu.
Speaker 3: It's promises.
Speaker 4: That wasn't it a new friend first time?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah we met? Yeah, yeah, I remember him.
Speaker 4: So good stuff? All right?
Speaker 6: Up next?
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess there is a Passages rehab as well.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no reason why we can't do both, probably not back to back. We need to mix in or so we can go. Yeah, then have a reason to go again by doing a regular news and bruise and then okay, yeah, all right, yes, and then we'll do a whole segment of news and psychological bruises.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good. I like that. We'll bring in justin.
Speaker 4: It's time for our entertainment report.
Speaker 6: The following program is for entertainment purposes.
Speaker 4: Own life welcome nights entertain I have to entertain.
Speaker 6: Is this entertainment I have to entertain.
Speaker 5: I want to bring good quality entertainment here.
Speaker 6: At the time.
Speaker 2: And lack all baschard parties, there was some entertainment. Wow, I've seen some bad headlines about Francis Ford Poppola's new movie Megalopolis.
Speaker 4: Megalopolis.
Speaker 2: In fact, I believe it was the San Francisco Chronicle that said Megalopolis is a piece of s.
Speaker 1: Oh no, But the only person that we care about his opinion is, of course, Jason Nathanson.
Speaker 4: Let's call it.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: And if you believe that at all, you are a fool.
Speaker 6: What we do care?
Speaker 1: I do care, But he's not the only opinion we care about. You care about what your wife says, not about movies. Oh really, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not that I don't care. I just don't give her as much credence as I do Jason.
Speaker 5: Right, then, that's how it should be. In more things than movies. It should be another.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to make sure I have a place to stay tonight, so I'm just gonna say movies.
Speaker 3: Did you watch the mormon wise.
Speaker 6: Wait, let's go back to.
Speaker 4: The megalon Sells thing first.
Speaker 3: But understand, Cannon needs your medication. You have no idea? How accurate that is?
Speaker 1: No idea, It's just a thyroid medication, se man he sees you.
Speaker 5: Yes, Megalopolis, Yes, I agree with that. That headline Oh really from that bad is it?
Speaker 6: The Chronicle? Yeah? Yes.
Speaker 5: Here are my notes as I was watching it in my notes app on my phone.
Speaker 6: What the bleep is going on? Huh?
Speaker 5: This is bats crazy? How dare you? Francis Ford Coppola?
Speaker 6: I hate this? How am I this?
Speaker 5: Bored and annoyed and sad and angry at the same time. Uh, there were and this is as I watched it last night in the theater that I paid to go see it in.
Speaker 6: There were I think six people in the theater.
Speaker 5: Two of them walked out at one point and never came back.
Speaker 6: So it is. It is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say the biggest disaster of a movie that I've ever seen in the theaters and a prime example of what happens when you have a vision and you try to execute it and there's nobody around to tell you no. And I think Francis Ford Coppola has certainly earned the right to do something like that. He's made some amazing films and he can do whatever he wants. But when no studio wants to finance it, and he spent one hundred and twenty million dollars of his own money to do so, and then nobody would buy the film out of can the cam Film Festival after seeing it, It's gonna tell you something that his attempt to bring his vision to the screen wasn't really working out. Yesterday it doesn't work out.
Speaker 1: You told me to watch Nobody Wants This on Netflix, and I gave you homework.
Speaker 3: I didn't do it.
Speaker 6: But is that typical of you when when you were given homework?
Speaker 1: No, I was just watching the football game and then and I kind of forgot about it.
Speaker 3: So what is Nobody Wants This about?
Speaker 5: Well? I wanted to see if you liked it or not because it is a row didn't what because you didn't?
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 5: It's a rom com series, and I did see somebody compare it in a superficial way to Emily in Paris. It has nothing to do with it, but just in kind of the the the vanity of it in the emptiness maybe of it, and so I wanted to see if you liked it, because I know how much.
Speaker 6: You liked Douse.
Speaker 3: I like empty things.
Speaker 6: Well, you like Emily in Paris.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I never picked that back up, by the way, I started watching the first episode of the latest season and turned it off and haven't gone back.
Speaker 6: Okay, but the first three seasons you were on.
Speaker 1: I heard English Teacher is a great show, and I watched the trailer for it, and it looks a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I did watch a couple of episodes of that which you think it's a little hitch you over the head.
Speaker 4: It's funny. Oh, it's too much, it's a little hitch over the head.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't get into that.
Speaker 1: And did you watch the Mormon Wives mom talks? I have not shocker shocker.
Speaker 3: I thought that you would run right to that.
Speaker 5: No, oh my god, you know usual thing. But I've heard and seen a lot about it.
Speaker 1: You know what else I'm having a hard time with is The Golden Bachelorette.
Speaker 3: It's awful. It's so bad.
Speaker 6: I stopped it that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's depressing. I'm saddened.
Speaker 6: Oh well, that's that's what.
Speaker 5: After the first round It was depressing immediately when the women, when the first women were kicked off, right, we talked about this and I was like, you know, you don't know if they're going to have another chance at love, and they seemed like crushed and dejected. Yeah, versus the twenty year olds who you know are going to bounce right out and you know, get back out there.
Speaker 3: They'll get out there nice.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of awkward, and I try to get into it, and it's just I don't know. There's a reason why they put young pretty people on TV.
Speaker 6: Yes, bouncy, bouncy people, because they bounced.
Speaker 3: They bounced back.
Speaker 6: Season two of Calling from Accounts is out. I told you Shannon about that. I told you both about that. I think Shannon you started watching it. No, am I wrong?
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 6: Okay, great, my work is done here.
Speaker 3: People know we started this saying that we value.
Speaker 1: His opinions so greatly, and then that's not true.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, Colin from Accounts is a fantastic show on Paramount Plus, very funny rom com type show.
Speaker 6: Go check that out and check it out right.
Speaker 5: Second season is out now, so you now you have two seasons to binge this weekend.
Speaker 1: I did start this or at least watch the trailer because the opening scene of the trailer I know exactly where that is.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when Bullet Train came out with Brad Pitt, I was hating the idea of it, but I ended up loving.
Speaker 4: That movie that.
Speaker 2: Brad Pitt and George Clooney are out in a new action thriller called Wolf's Yes.
Speaker 5: This is on Apple TV plus it was out in theaters for a week. They wanted a bigger theatrical release, but it didn't get it because I don't know. I haven't seen it, so I don't know if it's good or not. But it's getting mixed reviews, and I think I think people want more from a George Clooney Brad team up maybe than they're getting from this.
Speaker 2: Well they can they can both calm and really funny. I wonder if it just kind of cancels each other out.
Speaker 5: They both can be, but the material has to be there as well. I don't know if it's there in Wolves, which I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know. Maybe you watch it.
Speaker 5: I don't know why it's not Wolves Wolves A good point.
Speaker 3: Question, good point.
Speaker 2: It's been bugging me Yeah, that does bug me a lot, right, Yeah, now that I'm not gonna watch it unless they spell the title right.
Speaker 6: I didn't say that. No, I know that, but I'm just bugged by it.
Speaker 3: There's gotta be a reason.
Speaker 6: I don't find out, but I feel like we're not going to find out.
Speaker 1: That's annoying when they just make jokes for their own, their own amusement.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're setting it up for a sequel that will be called Wolves Wolves.
Speaker 4: That's stupid, like Alien and Aliens.
Speaker 6: There's actually a sequel already in development for the film.
Speaker 2: Rest just let you know, okay, Ugh, as always, Jason, we appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Will you go see Megalopolis just so we can talk about it?
Speaker 2: No, you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap