Speaker 1: Welcomeboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all, So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start. Now bear me the eight. This is Space City Saturday.
Speaker 3: That's insane. Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews.
Speaker 4: And indeed it is a beautiful morning here in the age, a little chilly out there, all good, but hopefully you're getting all the honey dews and everything done before you can settle in to watch some college football or are in the case here on our iHeartRadio family of stations, listen to tons of college football because we've got a bevy of options for you today. Get into that a little bit later on as the show goes along. Away we go here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you for the next couple of hours. Melvin Brown, of course behind the glass making things happen there for us, so appreciate his work as always a lot to get into here on the show today gonna be majority Texans, especially here in the first hour. I think you pretty much know how the theme of the show goes. Although you know we've had a little bit of a hiatus the last couple of weeks. I mean those darn eleven am kickoffs either for I guess both of them were for Texas against both Florida and last week against Arkansas. As they'll be back in action a little bit later on today, so you have that to look forward to. Know that Gordy, as a matter of fact, is up in Austin for that one. If you follow Chris Gordy on social media, you saw that he was able to catch up with a lot of the SEC network media types. I know he caught up with Roman Harper and also too if you're listening to the A Team yesterday, me and Adam talking about Ryan McGee's article about you know when he probably would guess that Forrest Gump played at Alabama and it's a pretty fun little article. Ryan's really really good people. If you don't follow Ryan McGhee, then I really recommend you do so, because not only does he do incredible work for his day job, he's also a heck of a guy too as well, in a really really huge connoisseur of minor league baseball hats, and I told him when I moved back here, I said, hey, look, you know they sell Corpus Christy hooks, hats, space cowboy hats, all of that in the Astros team store. I was like, if you want me to grab you one, I'd be more than willing to do so. Yeah, Ryan is a good, good dude. So Gordie is out there for that one. As the college football season sadly coming to an end, I mean I've talked about it before. I know college football is not huge here anymore, and we don't do a ton of college football talk on here. I mean just because again, I mean, what do you mostly care about right now? You care about the Texans. I mean you also, when it's Astros season, we're wall to wall Stros, I mean tons of you want to be able to weigh in on that, And even though it's the off season, we'll still get into a little bit of the Stros today because of course Dana Brown speaking earlier this week with Steve Sparks and also Todd Kallis on Astro Line and by the way, too. Had somebody call in and ask the other day about when the next astro line is.
Speaker 5: Going to be.
Speaker 4: It's more or less during the off season, and I think it was Martin. I think you called it, Martin. It's more or less during the off season. That if there is a signing or something like that and they have a press conference and you know, a whole availability at Minute Made Park, then we'll probably put one together because, like I said, Todd Sparky, maybe even Robert Ford, whoever it is, we'll sit down with you know, whatever new player they've signed, or you know, if they've hired somebody to a you know, a huge position in the organization. Say, you know, like last year we had Astrolne when they hired Joe Aspada, so you had that. And then the other day they had the event there to rename Minute Made Park dyik In Park Now. So that was a chance where I think you know Bolts Matt Boltz set up the equipment and they asked Dana, hey, you want to sit down and talk for a little bit, and Dana said, sure, I'll do that.
Speaker 5: So that's where you get Astrolne.
Speaker 4: But then once we get into spring training, that's when we will have weekly ones. So there you go, Martin, hopefully I answered your question for you. But anyway, with the Texans, like I said, I've got a game tomorrow against the Titans after a night sort of win on the road Monday night. As the Texans in their primetime appearances this season and even five hundred and two and two, you win the first one out the gate against the Bears, then you lose the next couple of course, Thursday night there to the Jets.
Speaker 5: That was a frustrating loss.
Speaker 4: And then also too equally, maybe even more frustrating the following week Sunday Night football against the Lions, when you had a sixteen point lead in the second half, unable to hold on to it. Lions kick the walk off field goal. So that was a tough loss. So this was one of the Texans really wanted on the road and they were able to take care of business thirty four to ten over the Cowboys. So things you love to see, indeed, no doubt about it. And I know a ton of you were up there in Arlington representing. I saw all the photos, I saw the videos. I mean, you know you saw the one Texans fan who got up on the little awning right there in one of the tunnels there that has the Cowboys star on it, and was kind of doing the Terrell Owens you a little stance that he did on the Star, but this time you didn't have Darren Woodson coming down to chase this guy off the star. But it was a really really good showing there. I mean, people I've talked with just said that it was unreal how many Texan fans were at that game. And look, I mean, you're doing it the right way if you're a Texans fan in that regard. You smell blood in the water. The Cowboys are down, but hey, that's their problem, it's not your problem. And you wanted to be able to go and be able to take over the building. And for the most part you did that. So good to see that out of the Texan fans. But the team on the field itself last week, I mean, offensively, I think we can continue to say a little bit of a mixed bag. I think that's a group that's still trying to be able to find their footing in terms of being the offense they really believed and hoped that they would be coming into this season. I mean, I know that ideally the offense was going to be pretty much everybody healthy this year, where you get a strong addition in Stefan Diggs, and of course he goes down a few weeks back with the torn acl he's done for the season, and also to not having Nico Collins for about a month and a half, that also kind of helps slow down the development in the second year both c J. Stroud and also of Bobby Slowick.
Speaker 5: But you get some.
Speaker 4: Good news for tomorrow on the injury front. Will Anderson Junior, Kamari Laster as he's Al Shaier and also Derek Stingley all on the injury report, but all of them with no designation next to their name. You even heard yesterday we played the short clip from will Anderson Junior with our own Aaron Wilson saying, Yep, I'm gonna be out there. I'm good to go. It's good to be back. So good to see number fifty one back in the fold. And you know, you just know what he's able to do from a pass rush perspective and also to just from just the energy that he brings. I mean, I would almost say even though he's a starter, that do you think it's a fair comparison to say Will Anderson Junior is to the Texans kind of like what Tari Easton is to the Rockets, you know, just gives you that energy boost and is somebody that is tenacious on the defensive end, and we'll get after his opponent. And that's what Tarry Easton will do. And that's what Will Anderson Junior does as well. And while he's been out, Deniko Autry has done some good stuff, Daniel Hunter has done some really good stuff. Derek Barnett doing some really good stuff last week. As it was funny, I did not know this that the last Texan defensive player to be able to cause a fumble and then scoop up the fumble and run it back for a touchdown. You're head coach Tamiko Ryans. I believe he did it. I think ESPN said he did it back in two thousand and six. I think is when Damiko Ryans did that, so way back in the early stages of his career. But anyway, it's good to know that those guys are going to be back. Deniko Autry questionable. He's got a knee and oblique issues, so trying to see if he is going to be able to play in post against his former team tomorrow, But Texans are an eight point favorite. I mean, you know, Tennessee banged up in their own right as well. I know that Tajy Spears not going to play. I'm trying to remember who else is also not going to be able to go for the Titans. But this is a Titans team that, while they've played some good games this season, they're not as good as you, and not even anywhere close as good as you. And I mean, you know this is, for all intents and purposes in the AFC South a two team race at this point, and the Texans have a significant advantage with not only beating the Colts twice, but also too where they are in front of the Colts. I mean, I know that Indianapolis kind of tightening things up last week with their win in Jersey over the Jets, but two at the same time, I mean, you know, you've already taken care of the business that you needed to take care of over them, and really for the Texans, it just kind of comes to, you know, let time run out on them, and for you a chance to be able to do that is you win tomorrow. And then you go on the road next week and take on a hapless Jags team that is at this point pretty much just playing out the string and getting ready to fire their coach sooner rather than later. So we'll get into all of that as the show goes along. And oh, by the way, too busy day here, and I talked about it a little bit at the beginning of this segment. Really busy day here on Sports Talk seven ninety and all of our iHeartRadio stations here of course, KPRC nine to fifty, News Radio seven forty KTRH, those two stations come into play here because one thirty here on Sports Talk seven ninety, you'll get Craig Way, Roger Wallace, Will Matthews and the crew on the Longhorn Sports Network bringing to you Texas and Kentucky TV wise here, that's going to be the two thirty window right there, So you know, the CC's got that two thirty window that they've been able to carry over from CBS over to ABC. So but you'll be able to listen to Craig and the crew call the game. One thirty is when they get going here. If you're looking for you of h football tonight against Baylor, of course wearing the H Town blues.
Speaker 5: And I didn't even think about this.
Speaker 4: I mean, this has to be intentional by you of h right that you got the season assist by the by the Tennessee Titans last year to tell you, hey, those H Town blues, Yeah, those are our colors.
Speaker 5: Don't wear them.
Speaker 4: And at the time when he was the ad, Chris Pesman pretty much said, yeah, you can kick rocks.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna listen to you. We don't care. We're gonna wear the jerseys.
Speaker 4: So I've got to believe that this is intentional for the the Cougars to say, you know what, Hey, the Titans are in town. Oh man, Well what a coincidence. Well, we were planning on wearing our H Town blues today, so that's what they're gonna do. So they will be wearing those of course Senior Day for the Koog's. They've done some good.
Speaker 5: Things this year.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think, you know, even though they might very well fall short of making it to a Bowl, they would have to win their next two games in order to go bowling. I mean, but you know, it's kind of like what I talked about last year with the Texans be playing meaningful games in November, in December, and I think, if you know, coming into this season, I don't even think anybody had really any expectations for this U of H team. You had lost so many players in the transfer portal, you had to add so many players into the transfer portal, and also too, you know, just trying to be able to build a culture. And that's what Willie Fritz has been able to do. He did it during his time at Sam Houston. He did it during his time at Tulane. I mean to the point where Tulane was making it to New Year six Bowl games. I mean that's huge in its own right, and able to come over here to third Ward and be able to try to get this program going. So the fact that they are even remotely in bowl consideration is a huge plus because Willie is already recruiting pretty well and I think is starting to build that foundation and that culture over there for the u of H program. They're going to get their new Memorial Herman facility right there at TDECU Stadium with meeting rooms, new weight room, all that kind of stuff, everything that you have to have in the arms race. That is major power for college football. So U of H taking all the right steps to be able to get back to being competitive in college football again. So five o'clock is where you're going to find that crew over on at KPRC nine fifty, So be Kevin Aschemfelder and also Ted Party on the call of that. I'm gonna say this really quickly, just because I think most of you know that I wear my purple and gold heart on my sleeve. Me Chris Gordy, most of our bosses here at iHeartRadio in Houston are LSU people as well, and it's just not been a fun year. So if you are inclined, if you are an LSU fan, LSU Vanderbilt, going to be here on seven ninety Sports Talk seven ninety coming up at five o'clock.
Speaker 5: I know I just sold it incredibly well.
Speaker 4: But look when you're six and four, when you thought coming into the season that maybe being one of the final twelve teams in the college football Playoff was a real strong possibility. Yeah, it's a massive disappointment, man, that's the way the season has gone. But then you're probably saying, after I've mentioned all of that, hey, Dan, you hadn't even mentioned the Rockets yet.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, I'm getting.
Speaker 4: There because Adam Clinton's going to have Rockets launch Pad coming your way at six o'clock over on news Radio seven forty KTRH. That's going to be leading you up to the Rockets and Blazers tonight over at Toyota Center.
Speaker 5: So it's going to be him doing launch Pad and wrap.
Speaker 4: Matt Thomas and Adam Wexler are going to be on the call again over on news Radio seven forty KTRH. Rockets taking care of business last night one sixteen to eighty eight at Toyota Center over the Blazers. Blazers at one point had an eight point lead in the first quarter, but then the Rockets just.
Speaker 5: Absolutely able to take over.
Speaker 4: Dylan Brooks was unconscious from three point last night, seventh time in his career that he has had six to three ball makes in a game. He was six of eight from three to twenty eight points out of Dylan Brooks last night. Tarry Easton fantastic as well, twenty two points out of him. Amen Thompson, the other half of the Terror Twins, also able to make things happen there in terms of contributing on both the offensive and defensive end and of course to play of the night. I mean, I think we can all agree was the Reed Shepherd save that. I mean I said it last night on Rockets Rap that it almost looked like a dude perfect video of like almost like a trick shot where he runs to the sideline right there over near the court side seats, flips the ball down court and it perfectly leads Tarry Eaton right to the basket to be able to slam it down.
Speaker 5: And that was one of many.
Speaker 4: Fun highlights from last night's one sixteen eighty eight win over the Blazers. Rockets now twelve and five win tonight, three straight wins after that tough loss earlier this week to the Milwaukee Bucks, and also too at some time the show today we are going to get into. Dana Brown was on Astro Line this week again with Todd Kallis and Steve Sparks, so we will hear from him.
Speaker 5: He talked about Alex.
Speaker 4: Bregman and just the Astros as a hole heading into the twenty twenty five season. I mean, as we stand right now, don't look, you know, too far down the road, because then too far down the road will be hey we're in West Palm Beach. It's spring training. Hey, it's opening day. I mean it's right around the corner. It's not too far away. Of course, the hot stove is still burning. And we will see what happens with Alex Bregman and what the Astros look like in twenty twenty five, either with or without Alex Bregman wearing the orange and blue number two. So that's what we have to look forward to. But coming up next, this emphasis for the Texans is something that if they are able to accomplish it, I.
Speaker 5: Think that all their goals are still out in front of them.
Speaker 4: We'll let you hear exactly what that is from a Texan head coach, Tamiko Ryans. That's coming up next. As we get started here on Space City Saturday. You want to weigh in on the phone lines, you can do so sub one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's sub one three two one two five seven nine zero. It's Dean Matthews here on Sports Talk seven ninety with you here until noon.
Speaker 1: Exactly Space City Saturday. On Sports Talk seven ninety, Sports Talk.
Speaker 5: Seven ninety when Space City Saturday, Melvin tolling me.
Speaker 4: This is new stuff from LL Cool Jay so Ll still getting into the studio.
Speaker 5: I guess is ncis LA still a thing?
Speaker 4: I mean, me and Matt Thomas had this conversation the other day in terms of like network TV shows and of course, you know, talking about like ABC, NBC, CBS, Like I mean, it used to be appointment viewing. I mean, you know, remember the sitcom days. Of course you wanted to be able to watch Seinfeld. You want to be able to watch Friends, just shoot me. Whatever it was you wanted to be able to watch those shows. But I mean, honestly, I can't tell you the last time that I watched any of the major network shows anymore. I mean, I know, you know, obviously, if you watch Sunday Night Football, they've got all the promos for their shows. If you watch you know, the NFL on CBS, you get same deal, Fox kind of same deal as well. But I just I can't tell you outside of Yellowstone and land Man, any other shows that I even remotely pay attention to. But land Man, I know that network wise, they've had one episode on Paramount. But on Paramount, which we're lucky enough to have, you can already watch episode two Billy Bob Thornton's awesome.
Speaker 5: So if you have a chance to.
Speaker 4: Check out land Man, and obviously to a little bit of a regional tie as well. I mean, he's a landman for oil fields there in Midland is where it's set up. So of course, you know, the oil and gas industry very intertwined into our area and into our state. So a little bit of a regional hat tip if you will to us here in the great state of Texas. But anyway, I had mentioned about a emphasis on finishing in the second half for the Texans as something that could really serve them well going forward for the rest of this season. You saw that there was a middle stretch of the season. I mean, I've talked about the loss to the Lions where you had a sixteen point lead and you're unable to get into the end zone. You're unable to put up any points whatsoever. If they were able to score nineteen straight unanswered points and beat you with a walk off field goal.
Speaker 5: Same deal against the Jets.
Speaker 4: I mean up until last Monday against the Cowboys, when Joe Mixon was able to run in for a touchdown, which by the way, I think it came on a third down. You can't tell me that they wouldn't have gone forward on fourth down with the express purpose of, Hey, we're getting into the end zone hooker by crook, Like we're finding a way to be able to break this, you know, games without a touchdown in the second half streak that we've been on since you know, the last time they did do it against the Patriots up there.
Speaker 5: In New England.
Speaker 4: But Jamiko Ryans speaking about that about the emphasis of trying to finish off games in the second half, Pet thought of guys.
Speaker 2: Again did a good job of just competing and finishing in the second half. That's a point of emphasis for us, and that won't change moving forward. Like for us to continue to grow and become a really good team, we had to finish games in the second half. So most proud of our guys about that. That didn't change from watching a film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know that's something too that I've talked about before. I mean, because where I thought that a lot of people were looking at the Texans being in close games as a negative for this team.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's going to come back to bite them a little bit later on.
Speaker 4: And perhaps, like I said, that Lions game it definitely did the Jets game.
Speaker 5: Same deal there as well. You could even make an argument that the.
Speaker 4: Third of their four losses that they had that I haven't even mentioned yet, the Green Bay game, same deal. The Minnesota game was an anomaly in all of this because they were never in that game. Second half, first half, it didn't matter. Minnesota was winning that game. So you kind of take, you know, just chalk that one as up as a loss. You go the next week, you try to play, you try to win, you try to do all those different types of things, and that's what they've been able to do. But I've told you numerous times that is this season wears long. And maybe it's not tomorrow against Tennessee, maybe it's not next week in Jacksonville against the Jaguars, but you're going to have and improved Miami Dolphins team coming here to NRG Stadium. And I say they're improved because, well, they've got Tuoa on the field, and they're looking the way that they're supposed to look, and they're looking like the team that a lot of people were wondering, is this the team that wins the AFC last year? And they faltered a little bit down the stretch. Then they go up to Kansas City and had to try to battle frostbite and ended up losing to the Chiefs. And we know how the playoffs last year broke down. Of course, it was Kansas City walking it off there in Vegas two when yet another Super Bowl title. But in games like this, you're going to be playing these down the stretch. You're going to be playing it against Miami. You're going to do the same thing the following Saturday in Kansas City against the Chiefs and then Christmas Day here in Houston against the Baltimore Ravens. That's probably going to be the game that you're in. And not only that, coming out of those games, you hopefully are able to lock up the AFC South by that point and know either you're playing on wildcard weekend or that you've got a first round by and you're able to make it into the next weekend of not having to play in that wildcard round. You've got a home home game for the divisional series, and if you are able to win that game, then you make it to your first AFC Championship game. As an organization, Texans have never been there, They've never gotten past Divisional round weekend and they're trying to be able to do that this year. But that's something too as well that you hear football coaches all the time emphasize. I mean, Nick Saban for the longest time at Alabama, the infamous fourth quarter program. That was their whole thing. They wanted to be able to say in the fourth quarter, we see that you're tired, We know that you're tired. Here comes the grindstone because now we're just going to grind you down and we're going to physically beat you up now because we're in better shape than you are, we're more disciplined than you are, and we're going to be able to find a way to run you off the football field. And that's what made him so successful for or as long as.
Speaker 5: He's been there.
Speaker 4: Jamiko Ryans is pretty much in the same mindset. You hear him talk about it all the time. There's a reason why this team wants to be as physical as possible on both lines of scrimmage. The offense, it's been a little bit of a work in progress. I think we can agree with that, and you know, for the most part, and we'll get into the offensive line here coming up in the next segment. But they're hoping that the moves that they've made of kicking Juice Scruggs over to left guard and having Jarrett Patterson as the center is the missing piece that they've needed to be able to get that group working as five and be able to be the group that you hope they could be, to not only be able to protect CJ.
Speaker 5: Stroud, but also to.
Speaker 4: The most productive offensive weapon the Texans have had this season, Joe Mixon. Being able to get him going and how you know, have him be another huge reason of why you've won games. I probably could look at about three of the Texans wins this year and say, yeah, you won that game because of Joe Mixon. Monday Night was one of them. Indianapolis was another one, And I believe even the second Indianapolis game was another game that Mixon was able to show up and be huge for this team and help them win that game. But on the defensive side, that's what that group has been this season. Either with suspensions or injuries, whatever it might be, that group has been a really strong, you know, a feather in the hat for Demiko and for this Texans defense, and they've been the reason why this team is in so many close games, even when the offense is not humming along the way that you hoped that it would. So again, I mean, it's one of those things that you know, some people might say, Yay, we get it, second half, emphasis, finish all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very good.
Speaker 4: But I mean it is kind of a thing that I remembered a buddy of mine brought it up a few years ago of you know, why things are continuously said his example. To some it might seem a little extreme, but it fits, I believe is it's almost like a person that goes to alcoholics anonymous. You have to continuously remind yourself all the time. You have to continuously say it. And you know, I know that some people might say, well, you know, there's a difference between saying it and actually doing it. But the point is I think incredibly valid that you know, you need to tell yourself we finished in the second half. We finished in the second half. We finished in the second half, and you also put in the work to be able to do that. And that's what Texans continue to try to do. They've won many close games this season. And it's something too that I've told you, I think can benefit them going forward, because you're not going to be in games more than likely against Kansas City or against Baltimore, or when you get into the playoffs where you're up by two, three, maybe even more scores, You're probably going to be in a situation where you're saying, hey, we need to go down the field right here, kick a field goal and put ourselves up by ten, or hey, we need to go down the field right here, be able to score a touchdown so we can regain the lead or tie up the game, and then be able to give ourselves a chance late score to try to walk this thing off. I mean, that's what you're probably going to be into as the season goes along, and that's what the Texans continue to try to condition themselves to be. The offensive line conversation, we'll get into that here in the final segment of the show, because coming up next yesterday on the A Team with Adam Clanton and Adam Wexler, we had a chance to talk with He was a brief Texan, but a man that knows a lot about this at Texans and Titans rivalry. He is former NFL receiver Derek Mason from one oh two five the game there in Nashville. He joined us on the show. We'll let you hear that conversation coming up right here on Space City Saturday. It's Dan Matthews here with you until noon on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: We now return to Space City Saturday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: You're off in the Houston.
Speaker 4: I had this as an earworm today, and of course you don't know the song, Sir Paul McCartney jet. I believe this is Sir Paul McCartney in Wings. Obviously, I mean it's not the Beatles. But anyway, I was humming it during the break and Melvin Brown goes, god, what is that song? I know that song, I just can't think of the name, and I said, it's Paul McCartney jet. So there you go. So if any of you the rest of the day are going around humming d then you know where that earworm came from.
Speaker 5: So again you're welcome, all right.
Speaker 4: So yesterday on the A Team, we had a chance to catch up with a man who spent a brief period of time with the Texans back in twenty eleven. Of course, spent most of his career with the Tennessee Titans and also with the Baltimore Ravens, also a stop in there with the New York Jets.
Speaker 5: He is Derek Mason.
Speaker 4: He joined us on the A team and Adam Clanton had handled this interview because Wex had already moved off to go take care of his duties of the Rockets and Blazers game over at Toyota Center. So AC starting off the conversation with Derek Mason talking about is it kind of weird that the Texans and Titans are never really good at the same time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right about that.
Speaker 7: I can't recall even the eight years I played here in Nashville from ninety seven oh four, Houston wasn't a good team. Now, they had some good players, but they were not a good team. And when I went to Baltimore, it still was the same. They had some good you know, a few good seasons here and there, but they were not a perennial good team. But they found themselves a head coach and Demico Ryans.
Speaker 6: They found themselves a quarterback in CJ.
Speaker 7: Stroud, And then when you draft Will Anderson and Stingley the year before you're building yourself a nucleus that you know could potentially do damage for years to come.
Speaker 8: And how many times does it come down that?
Speaker 9: And you mentioned the head coach, But it's so much a quarterbacks league. It's only become more so that way as the NFL has evolved into the juggernaut that it is today. You know, playing with the late great Steve McNair like you did, But the Texans didn't have that guy. They hoped it was David Carr and then you know, eventually it became Matt Shaw, but that didn't have staying power. And obviously the Titans had been in search of that guy. Ryan Tannehill having some nice seasons, but I don't think anybody would confuse anybody else in recent history of either of these teams with McNair for the Titans, and now I think what CJ.
Speaker 8: Shroud is becoming for the Houston Texans.
Speaker 6: No, I think the Titans have had.
Speaker 7: They've had a bad sort of bad luck in regards to quarterbacks. Besides Steve McNair, they haven't been able to develop a franchise quarterback outside of Steed. They thought they had one with Marcus Mariota. It didn't work. They thought they had it prior to that with Vince Young, it didn't work out. Jake Locker, it didn't work out. You can go down the list of quarterbacks that the Titans have drafted after Steve and it seemed it didn't work out for whatever reason. And you can say some of that for the Houston Texans. And then you mentioned the name David Carr. I think they destroyed him with the offensive line issues that they had. And then Matt Shab I was there with Matt for you know, I think the six games towards the end of that twenty ten season, I believe, and I thought Matt Shaw was a really good quarterback. But besides that, they haven't been able to Ann obviously we know the big elephant in the room, and I don't even want to go down that road. But besides that, they really hadn't been able to, you know, develop and keep a quarterback.
Speaker 6: But it seems like they have one now in c. J. Stroud.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, and I'm obviously we're talking to Derek Mason of One of two five the Fan in Nashville and obviously a former player for both of these clubs. Most of the time in Nashville and so many times it does come down to getting that franchise quarterback.
Speaker 8: Do you think that CJ. Stroud?
Speaker 9: I know some people are still maybe holding out, like I don't know if he's a franchise quarterback.
Speaker 8: Yet that number is very, very small.
Speaker 9: Most people here in town are like, yeah, we saw last season.
Speaker 8: It's not a fluke.
Speaker 9: But on the flip side of that, he has not had the you know, the bust out of the gate. He has not had the prolific necessarily numbers that he did a year ago, and a lot of that has gone back, in my opinion, to the offensive line play. It's not completely on that line because CJ has made a lot more mistakes I think already this year than he did last years as opposed to the interceptions that he didn't throw last year. But what do you think of CJ. Stroud from the outside looking in? And there's no question he's a franchise quarterback. It's just a matter of how much success he can have.
Speaker 7: Well, I wish we were a draft and I tell you that how much I think about him. I wish that the Titans were able to get in that you know, number two spot and number one spot and.
Speaker 6: Being able to draft c J. Stroud.
Speaker 7: And I know the Titans aren't the only team thinking that they wish they had an opportunity to sign him.
Speaker 6: But I mean, listen, the kid has everything that.
Speaker 7: You need to play at that position. Extremely smart quarterback. IQ was off the boards. He's a pocket passer. He can get outside the pocket, and he can't extend drives, but he's not looking to run. But he does all the little things that you want a quarterback to be able to go out there and and and do and and Like I said, I think they had a really good not just quarterback, but I think they have a really good young nucleus on that team that coach Ryan can Can can build around, starting with CJ. Stroud and then you know Will Anderson and Steing Lands I mentioned before some other guys on that team. But what happens to a quarterback in the second year.
Speaker 5: I believe.
Speaker 7: I think defenses tend to they over scout you on the offseason and they try to pick up some of your tendencies and it tends to make it a little bit harder until you adjust and figure out. And you got to understand he was working with a new wide receiver that and digs that they got from Buffalo. Even though their reports seemed to be really good, he still was learning the offense. And then his best receiver is number one receiver, Nico Collins goes down, so he and now Nic goes back. So now they're starting to get a little bit healthy, healthier. Mixing is a beast in the backfield, but they're starting to get a little bit healthier. And I think he's starting to figure things out. Listen, He's only going to get better. That's what I believe. And as you continue to add guys around him, and let's not forget about Tank Dell.
Speaker 6: I love that guy.
Speaker 7: That's another guy that I wish the Titans would have drafted but didn't.
Speaker 6: But Dale is awesome.
Speaker 7: So you have a nucleus of receivers that you were getting used to once again because Nico was injured and Kank Dale had been injured you know a lot last year, and he's been healthy this year. But I think those things that you are not seeing, those that explosive game that he had last year, I think you starting to see him as the season started to wind out.
Speaker 9: Talking to Derek Mason of one of two five the fan in Nashville, Derek, when you talk about the quarterback there in Tennessee, you know, Will Levis taken a little bit later and has shown, you know, flashes, He's obviously he'll tell you he's got the arm. Is he a guy that you truly think the Titans can build around? I know last season these two teams got together. I mean, he went through it, and I think he's had a little bit better protection this year, but he's had some injury concerns.
Speaker 8: And that kind of thing.
Speaker 9: It's the way that that quarterback position can go in this league, especially when you're going through kind of a rough time. Is he, though, the guy that they can point to at the quarterback position or is the jury still out or what are you personally seeing with a guy like like Will Lovis.
Speaker 10: I think the jury is still out on him, you know, because what we saw last year for the brief time that he played, because he was able to come in after Ryan Tanneo got injured.
Speaker 6: He played four games.
Speaker 7: First game was outstanding, four touchdowns. He looked like an elite quarterback. But we knew eventually that was going to come back down to earth because at thinking that game Atlanta played a lot of men the man and they showed the defense to him so he didn't have to read. And then he had a couple other games that were there were okay games, but this season he came and do it and it just seemed like he took a step back, and the fan base has been on him, and rightfully so, because he has accounted for a lot of the things or mistakes that were happening in the first half of the season with his turnovers and him being careless with the football. So I think infra Will was sort of times that he got hurt and had to sit him for a couple of weeks, and he was able to slow the game down, watch it and then sort of PROTENSI from there. He came back in two weeks ago, he looked better. He came back in the week after, which was last week, he looked at that bit better than what he did the week coming off the injury. So we're just hoping that he can continue to progress as a as a quarterback end and not do those things that are going to lose you games. And for the last two games he's been playing, he's been playing not losing football. It hasn't not it hasn't necessarily been winning football.
Speaker 6: Because they had won those games.
Speaker 7: But he hasn't done the things in the last two games that he did in the previous four or five games that the fan base was really hard on him for.
Speaker 6: Even a head coach.
Speaker 7: Sort of had a few things to say about a few of those games that he played. But it seems like he's learning and you know, but jury is still out on him. It's question mark, but the tis need to find out before the season ends, or as the season's ending, whether he can be a franchise quarterback or not.
Speaker 9: We're talking to Derek Mason of one O two five the Game. I apologize I was giving the name of your station wrong this entire time. That's my fault in Nashville there, But just to kind of look both inside the division and a little bit outside at the same time, and I'll explain. Daniel Jones got released by the Giants, as you're well aware, and it comes after he was signed to an extension. I first of all your thoughts on that, because it's it's mildly shocking, not from the standpoint of you know, I don't think Daniel Jones was a very good quarterback.
Speaker 8: For the Giants save for that one season.
Speaker 9: But also you're looking in the division and you've got Trevor Lawrence and I know this might seem like blasphemy to say in maybe Jacksonville, but they just extended this guy and he is His trajectory to me, has steadily declined since his first year in the league.
Speaker 8: Is there a scenario where you.
Speaker 9: Could see that Jacksonville Jaguars doing the same thing that the Giants just did with Daniel Jones.
Speaker 7: It would be hard press for me to to to believe that Jacksonville will go to that extent or go to that limp to cut a guy that they drafted first overall, that they just paid a lot of money to and then eventually cut him the next following season. I think don Trevor Lawrence show has shown more than Daniel Jones has shown. He's been inconsistent, yes, but I think he has shown that Hey, listen, you know, you continue to build around and continue to get him playmakers and he will be Okay, you got to understand he he he's ushering in two two new wide receivers. I believe this season, and I don't. I'm not sure if he's really got that system that Doug Peterson is teaching down Pat. I don't think he because he's still making some of those sort of rookie mistakes. It's like he's not seen certain things or he's careless with the football. But honestly, he was like that at Clemson that the last year he was a lot careless with the football than he was in previous years. So you know, I don't think that they would go to the limb that the Giants did because Daniel Jones was just a bad quarterback. And besides that five or six game stint heading into the playoffs and him winning the playoff game, I don't think he showed anything outside of that that he could be a starter in this league. But listen, just like a lot of other teams out there, if you think you have a guy, you got to pay him the money because if you don't, you're going to start all over again. Well, the Giants got to start all over again, even after paying.
Speaker 6: Daniel Jones the money that they paid them.
Speaker 7: But I can't see Jacksonville they get rid of Doug Peterson before they move on from Treva Lawrence.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the coach usually goes first, then the quarterback by the way, I think the Giants had the guy. It's just his name was Saquon Barkley and they didn't pay him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that right there should get everybody fired because we saw it in real basically, in real time, how the discussions went in regards to whether it's going to be Daniel Jones or Sakuon Barkley. And then you keep Daniel Jones as Saquon goals to the Eagles the next following year, and look at what he's doing.
Speaker 6: And now you've cut Daniel Jones.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's a lot of egg on your face, I might say, yeah.
Speaker 9: And he seemed motivated when the Eagles played the Giants earlier this year.
Speaker 3: Oh, I believe he was.
Speaker 8: Well, Derek, we appreciate the time. Good conversation.
Speaker 9: We're gonna have to catch up again, maybe later on in the year when these two teams get together in Nashville. Derek Mason of one or two the game or one of two five the game in Nashville, pre shad the time, man, and we'll talk to.
Speaker 6: You soon, Oh anytime, Adam, Thank a lot.
Speaker 4: All right, there you go, Derek Mason with us yesterday on the A team. You're miss any that download the free iHeartRadio app and you can catch that entire interview. All right, coming up next, wrapping up the Sexans conversation here in our one, because something was said this week that I think on the surface people probably would say, yeah, Okay, we'll believe it when we see it, but maybe there is reason to believe when this is being said about this Texans position group. We'll talk about that on the other side as we wrap up our one here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you until noon on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you until noon. Talked about a little bit earlier. Got a lot of not only college football, but just sports action in general coming your way here either on Sports Talk seven ninety today or on our I heeart a Houston family of radio stations. Of course, one thirty that's when Craig Way and the crew get going for Texas and Kentucky football.
Speaker 5: Five o'clock over on KPRC nine to fifty.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be the Cougars and the Baylor Bears over on KPRC nine to fifty five. O'clock here on at Sports Talk seven to ninety gonna be LSU and Vanderbilt, and then six o'clock Rockets launch pad gets going over on news radio seven forty KTRH. So Matt Thomas and Adam Wexler are going to be on seven forty tonight for the Rockets and the Blazers seven o'clock tip over at Toyota Center.
Speaker 5: Had a chance to get inside the building last night.
Speaker 4: A lot of fun on the floor and just a fun atmosphere in there last night. So I think all of a sudden, Rocket's starting to get a little bit of the buzz amongst the fan base again. So that's good to see. Maybe we'll talk about that here coming up in our two. But like I said, you know here in our one, want to wrap up the Texans conversation here.
Speaker 5: If you want to jump aboard, please do so.
Speaker 4: Someone three two one two five seven ninety once to ge get someone three two one two five seven nine zero. So the Texans made an offensive line switch on the uh, excuse me in the Detroit Lions game. That was when they decided what Jared Patterson are coming back from the concussion, put him at center kicked you scrugs over to left guard and.
Speaker 5: All in all, pretty good results so far.
Speaker 4: Last week, really good results, especially running the football with what Joe Mixon was able to do against the Dallas Cowboys. But even before that too as well, you showed some good things in terms of being able to protect CJ. Stroud as he still got hit, he still got sacked against Detroit. You weren't able to run the football as well, But if nothing else, it's showing you that at least progress is being made on that side of the ball and with that position group. And earlier this week, Texas offensive coordinator Bobby Slowick talked about that very thing. He says, hey, let's be honest here, through two weeks, it looks like the offensive line shift has actually worked.
Speaker 11: I would say Juice having a lot of football under his belt, in particular at center and then moving out to guard like really has enabled him to have a ton of command.
Speaker 8: And awareness of what's going.
Speaker 11: On because he was running the show not too long ago, and now he's just as aware of all the different looks and things that could happen. But now he's at a position that doesn't necessarily need to make the calls, so he's just able to take in more, which has been really cool to see. Now there's been a process going from guard from center. It's different still some of the ways he has to approach the run game, the past game and the sets is a little different. He's done a really good job growing from the first week there to the second week there, and we'll just work to continue that. And then JP has absolutely owned all the controllables, like everything you could ask for. As far as the center goes, he's knocked it out of the park. He's been great on communication, he's been great on the sidelines, he's been great talking to the other guys out on the field. And then he's really grown as far as his play style. You know, last year we always thought he was solid in protection. We were kind of growing into the run game and that has not been an issue for him like whatsoever so far this year, which is testing it to him and the work he's put in.
Speaker 5: So the Texans, i mean, let's call it what it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you've gotten some good things on the offensive line. I mean, I understand people's frustration with Laramie Tunzel, and trust me, I share the same frustration. I mean the very first play of the game. I think we all as soon as the penalty announcement was illegal man downfield number seventy eight, you were like, oh, come on, man, like if you know the play, like what are you doing? And you know, of course it was flagged, so it's a penalty.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: It's frustrating because he's had that, He's had the false starts, he's had the illegal formation whatever it might be, legal shifts, all of those different types of things that you know you've had to endure at times with Laramie Tunsil. I like Ross villar Yal's line about pre snap he's not great in the play, although that one withstanding, he's usually pretty darn good.
Speaker 5: And then you know you make the.
Speaker 4: Move of you had a really just you had a hole there at left guard for the longest time. With Kenyan Green, I don't know necessarily if it's he just hasn't really been able to stay healthy and really be able to develop there at the left guard spot. But he's not been good, and of course he's done for the season. You have Juice Scrugs there now, and I thought that Scruggs was doing some good things at the center spot, but obviously too, I think they looked at it and said, all right, well, we've got two different guys that could snap the football and be able to, you know, diagnose the checks and everything up front and do all those different types of things we want to do. Let's have Jared Patterson at center, and let's move Jew Scrugs over to left guard. Titus Howard, I mean, just kind of like Laramie Tunsil, some good, some not so great, but for the most part, he's been pretty good over there at the right guard spot.
Speaker 5: And then Shaq Mason.
Speaker 4: I know that, you know, you know, Wex has talked about how you know, he hasn't necessarily looked the way that he did when he was with the New England Patriots are at the beginning with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But for the most part, I don't think he's necessarily been an issue for you. But the whole thing with the offensive line is you're just trying to be able to be confident in the group of five that you have, and not only be confident, but them be confident.
Speaker 5: In each other.
Speaker 4: Where they're working in Unison, they're becoming one and they are able to be able to take on twists and stunts, and they are able to take pride in run blocking and also to being able to protect your quarterback. And that's something at least the latter part of that equation, they've done pretty decently for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, CJ.
Speaker 4: Stroud has still taken his hits, but at least the frequency has been down.
Speaker 5: That's good in that regard.
Speaker 4: But if you're able to start to own the line of scrimmage when it comes to the run game, that's again. I mean, we talked about finishing in the second half. That's how you finish in the second half. You're able to have that group moving guys off the ball and being able to pick up three four yards when you need to be able to get those yards in short yarded situations.
Speaker 5: And that's what Texans are trying to do. All right.
Speaker 4: Our one is in the books, Our two is coming up. We're gonna shift over to a little bit of Astro's conversation because Astros GM Dana Brown joined the joined Astro line earlier this week with Todd Kallis and Steve Sparks. We'll let you hear a little bit of what he had to say, not only about Alex Bregman, but the team as a whole, as we will have that here to start the eleven o'clock hour Here on Space City Saturday, Dan Matthews here with you for another hour on your home of the Astros in the Rockets, Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 3: All these great Houston fans here. We love you all, so finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start.
Speaker 3: Now bear me the eight. This is Space City Saturday. That's insane. Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews, and.
Speaker 5: Away we go.
Speaker 4: Here for hour two on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you on the home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety all Texans in the first hour of the show, as we had Derek Mason on yesterday with us on the eight team. If you missed that again, download the free iHeartRadio app and you can go and catch that interview. But earlier this week we had an episode of Astroline and Todd Kallis and Steve Sparks were joined by Astros GM Dana Brown. And of course, anytime Dana Brown is in front of a live or recorded microphone, until we know exactly what happens with Alex Bregman this offseason, he's going to be asked about number two. And that is how their conversation started when they had the Astros GM on and one of the things that they asked him was what does this team look like if Alex Bregman does leave? And what do they look like if you guys are able to keep them?
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Of course, he's done so many good things here. We'd like to have him back. You know, I think we're still a good club, you know, if he decides to walk, but you know, ultimately, I think we're a little better club if he's he's still around, and so hopefully we can get him done through our multiple conversations that we're having with Bores.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, you've heard the tenor of Dana Brown's optimism when he was at the GM meetings being asked about you know, Hey, do you guys feel good about it?
Speaker 5: He's like, yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: And if there's one thing that you can glean from Dana Brown whenever he has joined us here on Sports Talk seven ninety or just whenever he does interviews, Dana as Chandler Rome put, it is almost too transparent, which you don't get a ton of in any sport, but baseball two as well. I mean, you don't want to show your cards. You don't want to you know, really, you know, you know, lead on too much in terms of how the situation necessarily is that you ask Dana a direct question, you'll get a direct response from him. And you know that was one in San Antonio at the GM meetings. He was talking about his optimism for being able to bring him back, but also too, he's not wrong in what he said that this is a team. You heard players like Jose Altuve and Hunter Brown and other players talk about just how important he is in that clubhouse. I mean talk about Hunter Brown and also too a guy that he is.
Speaker 5: Currently working out with.
Speaker 4: I saw if you follow Alex Bregman on social media at one of those training centers out in Arizona and Taylor Scott working out with them and Taylor Scott's I mean, I think we played it for you when he was on with Rob Friedman, the Pitching Ninja, of what Alex Bregman meant to him of talking about Yeah, like, you know, we get our scouting reports, but he has his own scouting reports and he'll go over them with us. Of Hey, this guy, you know is susceptible to the inside fastball, this guy will chase the outside slider. All those different types of things. He'd go over it with his guys. And it's also too. I don't know if Bregman is necessarily a vocal leader in the clubhouse, but I think that probably more than speaking about it, he is about it. This is a guy that continuously puts in the work. This is the guy that I mean, we'll let you know about it on social media. Of he's in the cage, he's working out, he's doing all these different types of things. He's all about baseball. I mean, remember too, what was the word about Alex Bregman when he was coming out of LSU that they had to give him his own key card to be able to get into the facility because the equipment manager or whoever it is got tired of coming up there at midnight to let him in to the batting cage, so we go hit off the iron mic. I mean, this is somebody who is just continuously about the game.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: That usually translates to people wanting to run alongside you and you don't want you to lead their team. And that's what Alex Bregman has been able to do throughout his career. Let's continue with more from Dana Brown. And of course with the off season. You know, we had Chandler Rome in for Wex with AC a couple of weeks ago, and he's maintained all along that if the Astros bring back Alex Brugman, that is the splash, like that is the huge move that they are going to make. And you know, don't expect for them to necessarily, you know, go headlong for any other free agent out there. I mean, there'll be probably some lower tier signings out there, and that's you know, signings that Dana Brown I think has shown you he's been pretty good at during his time with the Astros. But in terms of the rest of the off season, Dana Brown asked if Bregman determines the tenor of the way that the Astros build up their twenty twenty five roster.
Speaker 2: No, not really, because you know, once we knew that he became a free agent, you know, we started to you know, look at other you know, their basement that may be available, other fits. I mean, you know, of course we've talked to Boris, you know, constantly to get Alex done. So we'd rather for him to be around, but we could just keep him here. That would be you know, more exciting for us.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: But you know we have to go into this, you know, just as he's a free agent. We have to look as if he's gonna leave. But if he comes back, it's like icing on a cake.
Speaker 5: And no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, you know, I think I can already guess how well most of you will feel if indeed we are able to put out a post on our social media pages or even announce it on air, if indeed the news comes down either through Chandler or for Brian McTaggart or Matt Kawahara, or even from the National writers of if Jeff Passen or Ken Rosenthal reports the Astros and Alex Bregman are in agreement on a new contract and I know that there's going to be tons of people who are excited because well, tons of us have number two Alex Bregman jerseys. We want to continue to wear number two Alex Bregman jerseys. But you also have to remember that Dana has familiarity in situations like this, and I want to take you back to when Dana was the scouting director for the Braves and when he was an assistant GM there with alex Anthopolis. I mean, the Braves went through this with Freddie Freeman and it was a situation where he went to free agency and the uncertainty of free agency. This is again also to come out of the lockout where it was alex Anthopolis kind of come into the determination of we can't sit and wait. Someone's going to trade for Matt Olson. Someone is going to try to upgrade at first base, and if we have an opportunity to be able to do that, you know, it's the old bird in the hand is worth two in the bush kind of scenario right there. And that's what they decided to do. They decided to go younger. Is he as good as Freddie Freeman? No, he's not. But you also have to wonder kind of like what you know, Dana Brown said, and one of those two cuts right there of being prepared for maybe not having Alex Brugman. I guarantee you that scenario is being played out right now. They're talking about all right, hey, let's continue to have our discussions with Scott Boris. Let's continue with the intention of bringing Alex Brugman back. But don't be surprised if it comes to a scenario where Dana Brown, if he is approached with a possible trade scenario that works out for the Astros and maybe they can be able to if that player is, you know, a year or two left on their contract, you sign them to a long term extension for cheaper money than it would take for Alex Bregman. I would not be surprised if he runs that playbook either, because again, you want to be able to shore up a very important position on the field, and you want to be able to know that you have some certain certainty instability over at that spot. I mean, I throughout the scenario. The other day, I know that there's the report that the Astros have interest in Willia Domas over at third base. Is he as good defensively as Bregman over at third. Probably not, but they're probably pretty comparable. When it comes to the bats, the Damas and Bregman pretty similar power numbers, and he's a guy that can get on base. All those different types of things you hear about. But I throw out a scenario of Okay, maybe you don't have to spend as much for a Damas and that kind of frees you up over at first base. We'll get two plans for first base here in just a second. But I know people have thrown out Christian Walker as a possibility, and you know, Dana Brown did talk about that the other day, of having John Singleton back and maybe go in a platoon situation at first, which I know on the surface a lot of you are not a huge fan of. But you also have to remember, you still have Josea Bray on the books. You still have Rafael Montero on the books. Montero might be able to factor this season, but Brad you he's all gone.
Speaker 5: It's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: You can share all the videos you want of him in the Puerto Rican Winter League. The Astros are done with jose A Brady. It's not because of the guy it's because of they just don't believe that he is that guy anymore. And if they had any hint of believing he could get back to being a somewhat productive player, then he would not have been let go last season.
Speaker 5: So that's how that all played out.
Speaker 4: But in terms of the twenty twenty five season, continuing along with Dana Brown right here, one of the things that, of course he talked about and one of the things that was the storyline of the twenty twenty four season was the rough start for the Astros, starting off zero to four right out the gate twelve and twenty four, all of those different types of things of having a really really tough start to the season and Dana Brown talking about, you know, just really harping on the emphasis of wanting to make sure that they get off to a better start out of the gate here in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the big part is coming out of spring training, guys, being ready to go, you know, getting your yourself built up to the point where, look, I gotta I gotta really try to stretch it.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: If I'm if I came out last year and I was only going four innings and then I was turning it over to the bullpen. I need to go five and six innings early on. I think we really have to, you know, make a lot less mistakes. I know we had a stretch there where our guys would get guys zero and two and they would make a bad pitch you know, in the strike zone. Well, that leads to you know, more at bats in that innings in that inning, and then that you know, if you make an error, and then it leads to even more at bats, right, And so I think cutting down on those mistakes, whether it's errors, whether it's bad pitches when you get you're heading the camp now those kind of things. Just like we just talked about base running, all those little things early in the season, and I know these guys, you know, you kind of have to get back in the groove. I get it, but you know, coming out of spring training, it's very important that you are doing the little things right because you could shorten those games and instead of linting in those games. And you know, we all know that if you don't catch the baseball, you don't go home at night. If you make bad base running mistakes, you you cut off your rallies and then your chance to explode and get two, three, four runs in an inning, and so that cricket number that you always look for. And so I think ultimately doing all of these little things right will give up put us in better position and win games shortened games, and you know, get a little deeper with our winning streaks.
Speaker 4: All Right, A couple of things that Dana Brown talked about right there. Number one is, you know, just really kind of being able. If you've heard me talk about it before, cheating the angle. That's what the Astros have been able to do during their championship runs. They've been able to be an incredibly fundamentally sound team. I mean, I've mentioned it before, you know. I remember listening to a podcast that Jake Arietta did after they won the World Series with Barstool, and he had the line the Astros just don't lose, and his point was, they don't beat themselves. They field the ball incredibly well, they hit with runners in the scoring position, they run the bases incredibly well. Those were things that the Astros have been known for, and at times here in the last couple of years, they've kind of started to miss the details in some of those areas and that's why you've seen the Astros not be as successful as they had been during that seven year run of making it at least to the Alcs the other part of.
Speaker 5: It as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, he brings up the you know, a good point about their starting rotation last year. I mean, this was a group that was in shambles out of the gate. You didn't have Justin Berlander. You were hoping at some point to get Jose Orkeedy back. You wanted to see if maybe there was an opportunity somewhere down the road that Lance mccullors Junior could come back. Then you lose both Christian, you know, I mean you lost Jose Orkety, but Christian Hoveer, you lose him to Tommy John and you're gonna get him back in the middle of this season. And also to Luis Garcia of not being able to have him at all last year. And it did, you know, lend to being able to find out that Renel Blanco could be a really good starter for you, but also too that Spencer Araghetti was somebody that could be counted on in this rotation, and the same deal for Hunter Brown as well. You going at you say, Kakuchi we'll see what happens with him. As you know, obviously priority number one is try to lock up Alex Bregman. But then after that, you know you're going to need to probably add a starter to this rotation and feel even better about that group heading into twenty twenty five than he did in twenty twenty four. I mean, I think coming out of spring training last year was kind of a little bit of g I hope, whereas this year you'd like to have at least a little bit more competition that if nothing else, maybe you could go a six man rotation out of the gate and feel good about being able to prolong some of those guys and keep them fresh for the home stretch of the season, where getting off to a better start would help you in terms of not having to try and you know, play catch up the entire time. I mean, the Astros were in pretty much a full sprint from May until the end of the season last year, and I think that's a little bit of why they ran out of gas when it was all said and done. I mean, you were facing a young, hot Detroit Tigers team that to them, they kind of looked at it as, hey, we're not even supposed to be here, let's make the most of it, and they played loose, they played fast, and they were able to beat you and the Astros. I think we're a little tired and obviously banged up jury wise at that point as well, so hopefully all of those things shake out a little bit better in twenty twenty five. We're going to hold the plan for first base over to the next segment. We'll continue this conversation. If you want to react to anything that Dana Brown has said, you can do so some one three two one two five seven ninety once again a sub one three two one two five seven nine zero. We'll talk about that and more on the other side as we continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets. Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Space City Saturday.
Speaker 12: Fine Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Sports Talks seven ninety Space City Saturday, Dan Matthews here with you until noon. If you want to get in, you can do so. Someone three two one two five seven ninety one. Goin that su one three two one two five seven nine zero.
Speaker 5: Let's get right back to it.
Speaker 4: Dana Brown with Steve Sparks and Todd Kallis on Astro Line earlier this week, we've talked talked about Alex Bregman, We've talked about trying to be better at the start of twenty twenty five. In addition to Alex Bregman, and also two throughout Yssea ka Kuchi, people maybe wanting to see the lefty back with the Astros in twenty twenty five and beyond. The other question mark with this team is first base. What do you do with that spot? That was a position that really lacked in production last season. You've got some good things at times from John Singleton, but also too, I mean just really across the board, that was a position that you needed more production and more consistency out of, I mean so much to the point that the Astros were going with you know, Victor Krattini over there at first base, something that at the beginning of the season Joe Espada said they did not plan on doing. But as it went along, I think probably through meetings and everything else, they decided, well, we've got to have some sort of production there and if that's him, if that's you know, you've got him behind the play and you got JANR. Diaz over there at first base. You've just got to be able to again find some sort of production over there well with the first base position. Dana Brown asked about that spot and how the Astros, at least in the front office, are going to go about trying to find some production at first base in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we can get a platoon bat.
Speaker 2: You know, we really like singing singleton versus right hand and pitching. If we can get a platoon bat that can hit against lefty, so it makes it a little bit more difficult. You know, when he's he's facing a lefty. Our lineup is weaker if he's out there and it's a left hand pitcher. So if there's something by a way of trade that we can do to improve at first base, we will also do that. But ultimately we know we need to get a little bit better. And and there's no secret, you know, the players know it that play first base, The coaching staff knows it, we know it in the front office.
Speaker 5: We can get better at first base. So there you go.
Speaker 4: And you know that was also to thrown out the idea possibly of Christian Walker that does not sound like that is the way that the Astros will go at that spot. As a matter of fact, I would probably guess from Dana's words right there that you can get that out of your mind at this point, because it just doesn't seem like that's going to fit into what the Astros want to do there. I mean, you're talking about where again he's talking about John Singleton against right handed pitchings.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, in that case.
Speaker 4: The majority of starters in the league are right handers, So that would probably mean that the majority of the reps over there at first base are going to be taken by John Singleton. So if that's the case, then you know, again he threw out possibility of a small trade. You go get somebody that can maybe be able to play that spot, who knows, maybe even be able to play a little bit of outfield, or even be able to give you some reps over at third base as well. I don't necessarily know who that player is at this point, but again, it just really kind of seems like priority number one is get Alex Bregman signed, or at least try to get him. But if nothing else, be able to find a good middle of the order bat that can play third base. And go from there. And that's what it necessarily sounds like they are going to do. I mean, he's thrown out Zach Decenzo before he has you know, talked about right there the possibility of a trade of being able to add at that spot and somebody that is kind of a bench bat for you and somebody that you can count on in that regard. So that's what it sounds like the Astros are going to do in twenty twenty five. But I mean this was a lineup too in twenty twenty four that was really pretty unbalanced. I mean, when the when the top of the order was not hitting, that was bad news for the rest of the team. And I mean that's what you saw play out in the postseason last year. I Mean, you had a team that through two games of your postseason was only able to muster one extra base hit and that was a ninth inning double by Jordan Alvarez. Aside from that, it was all singles out of that group. That's not how this team is.
Speaker 5: Going to win.
Speaker 4: This team has to be able to put up, you know, massive innings and be able to I mean, you know, that was the thing I talked about all throughout last season, where was the three run homer, Where where was the huge extra base hit with runners in scoring position? All of those different things. You saw singles and solo home runs for much.
Speaker 5: Of the season.
Speaker 4: And I know that a lot of the attention goes to, you know, with the moves that are at least only one move that was made on the coaching staff this year that people did not want to see Alex Centron or Troyce Nicker back with this team because they felt like that group needs new voices, you know, helping these hitters and helping these approaches and all these different types of things. And that's something too that Dana Brown has talked about and you know this team has talked about as an emphasis this season of trying to get back to putting together good at bats. I mean, you saw at times last year where a patient of each would play it would pay off for this team. But also too, I mean you saw at times last year where their aggressiveness came back to bite them, and that was again only having those innings of you post a run when maybe you really could have had two or three.
Speaker 5: In that inning.
Speaker 4: And that's again getting back to the cheating the angle. What the Astros had been so good at for so long. Is being able to absolutely grab hold of you in an inning and when you look up, it's, oh, hey, they just scored four or five runs in that inning. Like that happened fast. Like this group really made things happen. And that's again of being able to cash in on those opportunities and not having you know, these pressing at bats where it leads to a strikeout, it leads into a grounded into double play, it leads to a base running mistake, any of those things that the Astros would run into in twenty twenty four. These are things they're trying to be able to learn from and be able to improve upon heading into twenty twenty five. So I mean, in terms of trying to be able to build out the rest of this lineup, I mean, I think a huge part of it as well is what happens out in the center field. I mean, you heard Dana Brown in San Antonio talk about they still believe in Chas McCormick. I mean, yesterday was the tender deadline, and the Astros did tender a ton of players, and one of them that they decided to tender a contract to was Jake Myers. And there's even wonder if Jake Myers is still going to be your everyday starting center fielder defensively, base running wise, He's fantastic the bat. Later on in the season it started to lack for you. But of the players that the Astros were able to tender contracts to yesterday, Brian Brady was one, Mauricio Dubon, Luis Garcia, Chas McCormick, and also Jake Myers, as I mentioned, Jeremy Pania, as well as Kyle Tucker and also from Er Valdez. The astros forty man roster currently is at thirty nine players, so they can add one more here, and as Dana Brown throughout, maybe trade is a possibility for them to be able to add that. I mean, I would probably guess that's the route that they go again. I mean, it's either going to be Bregman or whoever Bregman's replacement is is likely going to be the free agent splash that they make this offseason. I think if you're counting on the Astros being one of the teams that wins the off season, I think you're going to be sadly disappointed. But in terms of just being able to build up this roster again to trade or even being able to find some good signings on the free agent market. I mean, you know, who necessarily thought that Taylor Scott was that guy last year, a couple of years ago trade wise, who necessarily thought that Mauricio Dubon would become such a valuable part of this team. I mean, these are deals that make a general manager really good at their job, and that's what Dana Brown's been able to do so far. So we'll see how it all plays out when it's all said and done. But in terms of Bregman, I wouldn't guess that anything happens this week. I mean usually Thanksgiving time is a slow time in the baseball calendar. But the week following, I think it's a couple of weeks from then is the Winter meetings, and that's when moves really start to be made because everybody's all together in one central location. Agents are there, You're able to go to dinner, You're able to sit down over drinks whatever it is, and try to hash out deals and try to make those come to fruition. So it'll be interesting to see if within that time period something is determined in terms of Alex Bregman either being here or if he is somewhere else going forward, all right, coming up next, you get into a little bit of Rockets conversation because it is something that really is a new thing around here with this team that is new and a good way, but also too something last night that I actually want to talk to you Rockets fans about and it involves you. We'll talk about that on the other side as we continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: This is Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 4: Ninety Socks seven ninety, Dan Matthews here with you until noon. As I've mentioned it numerous times here on the show, and we talk about it, it's fair game. Even if we have moved on and we did some Rockets conversation here in just a second, but just spent a couple of segments on the Astros. Paul and the Rice University area wants to weigh in here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 13: Paul, what's up, Yeah, the Astros. I mean, realistically, I think their window is almost closed. I mean there's a tiny crack that they may be able to sneak through this year, But are they going to be good in the next two to five years with a chance to win the World Series? No, So it doesn't behoove them to sign for Amber Valdez to a long term contract. He's the one guy you could probably trade this year get a good offensive player, hope that you've got enough pitching with the guys coming back and the guys coming back from Tommy John to make a run, you know, late in the season. And if you trade Framber you can get you should be able to get at least one pretty good hitter, maybe a third basement. I mean, they can't trade Tucker to get anybody if they want to compete this year. That's just I mean, They're not gonna be able to replace his production. There's no way they win the World Series in.
Speaker 5: Twenty five without Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 13: So could they win it without Framber? I think so? So to me, that's the guy that if you want to sort of play a hedge game for this year and next you know five, you know down the road, trade to get some young prospects that maybe can help you this year. But realistically, the astro of future.
Speaker 5: Is pretty bleak.
Speaker 13: I mean, their forty man roster stinks. They've got no after the top, you know, a dozen or so guys, very little depth, and they're gonna have to do a massive rebuild, which you know, realistically should start this year because they're unless they can get off to a really good start.
Speaker 4: Paul, I'm gonna push back on the massive re build because I mean, jose L two Bay is not sticking around. If that's the case, he would have gone to free agency or even just retired if that were the case. I guarantee you that it was a conversation with him of hey, you being here helps keep that window open. You were don Alvarez being here Janar Diaz Dana Brown talked about him the other day too as well. In terms of maybe being an extension, I mean, in terms of it looking like it has the previous seven years, You're probably right about that. But in terms of this team needing a massive rebuild, I got to push back on that.
Speaker 5: All right. I guess I lost, Yeah, I guess we lost, Paul, all right.
Speaker 4: But now, I mean, look, I understand the fear in terms of holding on too long, in terms of oh, Hey, you know, we really feel like we had this player, we're in position to be able to win. I think that's kind of you have to train your mind out of that a little bit, because the Astros what led them to the early twenty tens was for them making awful moves. I mean, the deal that they gave Carlos Lee that was one that absolutely should have never happened with this team. And also too as well, I mean, maybe you held on to Royo's Walt Hunter, Penn's Lance Berkman too long. And also as well, I mean you did not have the players coming up through the farm system that we're going to be able to sustain you to be able to be a competitive team. That was an issue for this team back then. I don't see that being the case here also too as well. I mean I think a huge reason why you believe that the Astros can continue to win is that's why Dana Brown is here. Dana Brown, when he was in Atlanta, was in charge of building up their farm system and building up their roster to be able to sustain winning ways, and he's been able to do that here in Houston. I mean the way that they've drafted I've told you before that there is a theme to the way that the Astros are handling their draft, very similar to what I saw when I was in Atlanta. They draft a ton of pitchers, they draft middle infielders, and they draft center fielders. Because I've said at numerous times, you can make an unathletic guy, or excuse me, you can make an athletic guy play a relatively unathletic position. As opposed to taking an unathletic guy. Maybe you take somebody that is primarily a first basement your position versatility is not as wide there. I mean, think about a guy like Bryce Matthews. I know that, you know, Dana Brown talked about him the other night about you know, what he's been able to do in terms of, you know, coming along in the minor league system. You know, drafted him as a shortstop. But somebody that they feel like can contribute going forward, and maybe it's sometime in twenty twenty five. He is a member of the Astros active roster here at the major league level, and that's something to keep an eye on when it comes to hi him because they feel like his bat's starting to come along and they like what he's able to bring from a defensive perspective. But you know that's somebody again, that's a Dana Brown draft pick that again fits that same profile. And that's what I think he's looking for in terms of trying to build up the farm system. Again of you know, you have a guy that you drafts a shortstop. Hey is he gets older and he also too, you know, puts on a little bit more weight.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's a third baseman, maybe he's a left fielder. Maybe he is.
Speaker 4: You know, we can you know, for a guy like Zach Decenzo, who was a college shortstop. They like him because of his height to be able to play first base. And you know, height and everything doesn't necessarily matter at the first base position. You know, I've talked about it numerous times. It's it's about the technique of playing the position over there. I explained it to somebody when Yaner Diez was playing over there and he got pulled off the bag on a play and they were saying, oh, he's too short. I said, that has nothing to do with it. Jeff Bagwell played first base for years and played it just fine.
Speaker 5: He's all of five to eleven.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's about you know, your footwork in terms of being able to you know, know where the bag is and know, hey, do I need to come off the bag for this play or do I need to you know, also to do I need to you know, be able to you know, try to have my foot over here, or any of these other things that kind of go into trying to play that position. But in terms of you know, the Astros overall window, I mean, is it going to look like it has for the last seven years. No, it's not. The Astros are going to miss the playoffs again. That's going to happen sometime here in the near future. They will go through a season where they're just not as good as they've been in.
Speaker 5: The past, and that happens.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you you try to be able to get back to the postseason, and that is the goal. Obviously, the goal is to win the American League West and then you know, to get into the postseason and try to be able to get far through that, you know, that part.
Speaker 5: Of the season.
Speaker 4: But they also to made it look so easy for so long. And if that's the case, if the Astros are going to have a few more lean seasons here and there, then that's really just part of the process. I mean, you can't really build up what they were able to do from twenty fifteen to this point and not think that it's going to continue to be that way forever, because it's just not a reality. I mean, there are even the best teams in baseball that miss out on the postseason, and there are even the best teams who have to go through a little bit of a retooling. I mean, I think if nothing else, maybe the Astros would go through a little bit of a retooling process.
Speaker 5: That's not a full rebuild.
Speaker 4: It's a hey, maybe we take a step back this year to try to take two steps forward next year. I think that's something that could be a little bit more at hand for the Astros than just a full on rebuild for them.
Speaker 5: So I appreciate to call Paul.
Speaker 4: You're welcome here anytime, and you can join Paul if you want to. It's SEB one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's SEBD one three two one two, five seven to nine zero. The Astros conversation continue to hear as just something that I wanted to be able to talk about at that point. So we will continue with the conversation on the other side if you want to against someone three two one two five, seven ninety. But I do want to get into a Rockets conversation because Rockets fans you fit into this and I think it's a little bit of a message that does need to be delivered. We'll talk about that on the other side as we continue and wrap up this edition of Space City Saturday here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday continues on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Sports Talk seven ninety. I Matthews here with you for.
Speaker 4: Another few minutes again one thirty today here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's when the Texas long Horns and Kentucky Wildcats football coverage is gonna get started here Craig Way and the crew here on your home of Longhorns football, men's basketball, and Houston Sports Talk seven ninety, as well as University Houston taking on Baylor, going to be over on KPRC nine point fifty.
Speaker 5: Coming up at five o'clock.
Speaker 4: LSU and Vanderbilt going to be back over here on your Houston home for LSU football Sports Talk seven ninety, and then of course, Rockets and Blazers coverage getting started at six with Adam Clanton on Rockets launch Pad again. That's going to be over on news radio seven forty KTRH. All right, so the Rockets last night, nice little one sixteen eighty eight win over the Portland Trailblazers. But there is something that normally, I think I've talked about this with y'all before. I am not about doing the lecture thing and you know, telling you how you need to be a better fan, all of those different types of things. I think it's just it's honestly, it's self important, and it's really kind of just I would say it's lacking awareness, because lord knows, I'm not perfect at this job whatsoever. If I were, then I don't I don't know. But anyway, I just I can't stand when people try to, you know, moral high ground fans and you know, this is how you should do it, blah blah blah, all of that. I just I will never be that guy. But I am going to somewhat wide into those waters with this Rockets team, because last night I'm in the building.
Speaker 5: There and I get it. It's the Blazers.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, when you pay your hard earned money to go and watch you know, the Rockets, the Astros, the Texans, whoever it is, you want to be able to know that it's not only going to be a fun and entertaining product, but you want to make sure that your money is going as far and a vast as it can go. And I'm you know, I'm sure that probably people looking at that game last night saying, hey, yeah, the Rockets playing good basketball, but it's the Blazers. I mean, shouldn't I wait until I don't know, they play against you know, a Joker and the Nuggets, or you know, maybe Luca and the Mavericks are in town. You know who knows, even though they're not all that great, you know, Wimby and the Spurs they're here. You know, maybe that's when I go Lebron and the Lakers. I get all of that, absolutely, I truly do. But this Rockets team is exciting. This Rockets team is fun, and this has been a fun seventeen games so far to this point in the season.
Speaker 5: And I get it too.
Speaker 4: I think with the way that the rebuild went, there's a little bit of, hey, show me this is sustainable because the Rockets did have good moments last year, but when it all was said and done, they wore down down the stretch and they were a five hundred basketball team, but still they were not able to make it into the playoffs. And I know that there's probably some who say, hey, you know, show me you can do that and then I'll believe again. And that's something that they're trying to be able to and this is part of the process of them trying to get to that point this season. But I mean, you see a team that right now is playing outstanding on the defensive end. They are the second highest defensive rated.
Speaker 5: Team in the NBA right now.
Speaker 4: The Oklahoma City Thunder are the only team in front of them. So they're playing stellar defense. They're playing exciting basketball. On the offensive end, the shooting has improved this season, and Jalen Green has improved in that regard. You've seen some good things at times out of Jabari Smith Junior. And then also too, you get the Terror Twins off the bench in Amen Thompson.
Speaker 5: And also you know.
Speaker 4: Tarry Eason as another guy that's been a huge bright spot for this team to this point. But last night in the building, it's probably about seventy five percent full. I mean Friday night, not really a ton going on here in the area. Be in the building, man, like, be there, ready to go, Like be there, rowdy. I mean, you know, we've seen what Toyota Center looks like when it's full. Go fans in there, ready to go, ready to support their team. The red rowties are there, you know, just we know what Toyota Center should look like.
Speaker 5: And I would, if nothing else.
Speaker 4: Encourage you this season to you're thinking about going to a rocketscheme, go go and have fun.
Speaker 5: Go see this team, go enjoy them.
Speaker 4: And you know, I understand too that the NBA as a whole, across the board viewership is down, and it's a product that I've talked about numerous times that I think American basketball as a whole has a development issue on the men's side, because, let's face it, you have a lot of guys who are one and done coming out of college. They are not ready to go yet. And I think that without really a farm system. I mean, I understand that the G League is there, but for the most part, you draft a guy as a lottery pick, you're not going to likely have them go down to the G League and try to get increased minutes and try to develop from there. You're gonna want to have them here at the NBA level, and they're going to struggle a little bit because they're playing against grown men who have been playing at this level for four or five years at least and are a little bit more developed in terms of that part of their game. And I've said a numerous times that I think that probably some rules could change on the college level. I would like to personally see the NBA go to kind of the Major League Baseball scenario that they have in college baseball, where if you play Major Division I college baseball, you have to either be a junior or be twenty one to be able to come out and go into the Major League Baseball system and go through the minor leagues and do all that different types of things, because i mean, let's look at what the NBA was in the eighties and nineties. That was when guys would stay in college for two, three, maybe even four years. You don't see the last guys stay for that long. But I mean take, for example, this season, a guy like Dalton connect and how he has played in the early going for the LA Lakers. That's a guy that played two or three years in college basketball. If I'm not mistaken, he's a little bit more developed in that regard. And I mean I think that you saw a better product on the floor at the time. And it's also too, I mean a thing where you know, look at the Rockets, I mean look at how you know people were just grundled with Jalen Green for the longest time of man, we drafted this guy second overall and this is what we get. But now I think you're starting to see Jalen Green be the player who you hope that you were getting at that point. And also too, you know, Jabari Smith junior, he's gone through a little bit of some growing paints. I mean Alprin Shingoun, he played against professional competition growing up there in Turkey and came over now and is probably a little bit further ahead of where people thought he would be in terms of being a developmental player at this point. But I mean, you know, just across the league, I mean, is viewership down? Why is necessarily interest down? I think another thing that the NBA should maybe consider going forward is start the season later. I mean, why are you trying to bang your head against a brick wall. Against the NFL, You're not going to win. The NFL will win every single time. The NFL has won so much that they finally looked at Christmas Day and said, yeah, that's nice. But you can only watch Lebron and Steph Curry and the Warriors and try to have the New York Knicks force force fed to you of Hey, the Knicks matter. Hey, you should pay attention to the New York Knicks.
Speaker 5: Again. I get it.
Speaker 4: You know you're trying to, you know, draw up to interest and your you know, highest rated markets in the United States.
Speaker 5: That's that's fine. I get that.
Speaker 4: And you know, the Celtics, all right, they're fine, they're great, whatever. But across the board, I mean, aside from Lebron, really, I mean, who who necessarily out there if you don't have really anything better to do on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and say there's an ESPN or a T and T game on that you would say, hey, even though it's not the Rockets, I'll watch. I can't think of anybody. I mean, I've talked about it numerous times. The Oklahoma City Thunder, they're a really good team. Shake Gildes Alexander. I could probably take a picture of Shake Gilges Alexander, go over to the galleria and ask people, hey, do you know who this is? And I could almost guarantee you that nine out of ten people would have no idea who he is. I mean, that's just kind of what you're running into in the league right now. And you know, I understand people's opinions in terms of why the league is down across the board, but I think that's really the biggest thing is that you just don't have real tangible stars in the league at this moment. I mean, Lebron his best days of basketball are behind him. He's still really good, He's still worth the price of admission.
Speaker 5: All of those different types of things.
Speaker 4: You want to see Lebron James play because you want to be able to say, hey, I got to see one of the greatest in the in the league's history beyond the floor, lay them up and go out and play. But aside from him, I mean, I just really, I mean, Joel Embiid does not do that for me. You know, Jalen Brown, and you know Jason Tatum with the Celtics doesn't necessarily do that for me.
Speaker 5: You know, when Healthy Kawhi.
Speaker 4: Leonard and James Harden with the Clippers, it's not necessarily like I'm like, oh, I've got to watch these guys play. I just think across the board you just don't have that, and I think that probably that's kind of I don't know if apathy is necessarily the right word here, but I mean, you know, with the Rockets, I think it's more than anything, and I get it from your perspective that hey show us that you guys are worth paying attention to. And if they continue to win, I think they will get to that point because I would probably suspect after football season comes to a close, that's when you'll start to see more full buildings over there at Toyota Center. So hopefully that is sooner rather than later that's going to do it for us here on Space City Saturday. I want to thank Melvin Brown back behind the glass doing a great job, as always, want to thank all of you two who wait in here on the show today. We will be coming back at you again next week here for a Thanksgiving post Thanksgiving edition of Space City Saturday. That'll be coming your way on the other side. But until then, have a great Thanksgiving holiday, and we will talk to you then. Don't forget Texas and Kentucky football coming your way one point thirty right here on your home of the Longhorns, here in Houston Sports Talk seven ninety I'm Dan Matthews.
Speaker 5: Talk to y'all next week.