Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. What a full show for a Monday, So much we're going to accomplish a day. There was all that fervor over this massive immigration sweep in Los Angeles with ice over the weekend, and even the LA Times will tell you the numbers don't show that it was a massive immigration sweep. It was much more targeted and smaller than the hair on fire people would like you to think.
Speaker 2: Ye, but what about all the schools that they raided?
Speaker 1: No, No, it did not happen.
Speaker 2: But what about all the churches that they went they went into.
Speaker 1: Nope, also not in the uh, not in the reporting. Very weird swamp watch in about an hour. I don't know what the Democrats are doing in terms of circling their wagons. I think that they're by and large ignoring a lot of what's going on with the new administration, which I think is really good for your self care. If you're a Democrat, if you're a strong progressive, I think that you probably don't want to pay attention to what's going on. But for Democrats as a whole. I don't know how helpful that is going to be considering the ground that Republicans are gaining. And I'm not talking about Trump Republicans specifically. There are a lot of people that are now having a little bit of buyer's remorse with his activity. Is lots of activity, shall we say, coming out of this administration in terms of executive orders and actions, right, And there are some people that, well, let's pump the brakes a little bit, But there is a large amount of young people that are looking at what's going on with Elon Musk and the young techies that he is kind of raised up to the upper echelon of his government cutting efforts, and that's said to be a big youth magnet moving forward, and what that could mean for the Republican Party and for how Democrats respond to that moving forward. We have just experienced the worst natural disaster that our city has ever experienced. It would be wonderful to think that everything would be.
Speaker 3: Smooth every step of the way, but I don't believe that that is realistic.
Speaker 4: Man. It was an interesting three days. It started with Karen Vass's interview with Fox eleven, where she admitted leaving town was an absolute mistake, but then blamed the fire chief for not calling the mayor's office to suggest that the giant windstorm could potentially bring with it dangerous wildfires, despite the fact that we had been.
Speaker 2: Talking about it for a week.
Speaker 4: And then, of course, Friday, the announcement came down that Karen Bass fired Kristen Crowley as the chief of the La Fire Department. At the time, Chief Crowley was relatively quiet most of most of Friday, but by Saturday she'd put out a statement that said, as the fire chief, I based my actions and decisions on taking care of our firefighters so that they could take care of our communities. I'm extremely proud of the work, the sacrifice and dedication of our LAFD members, both sworn and civilian.
Speaker 2: No mention of the fact that she was fired in that statement. Bit of a mean girl's.
Speaker 1: Vibe going on with La County and the powers that be right now. As I mentioned, when Kristin came out, the fire chief Kristan Crowley, excuse me, I keep calling her Kristen. Kristin Crowley came out and said LA failed us, the leadership failed us. In the days after that fire. We didn't have what we needed, we didn't have the resources that we needed. LA City Hall cut our budget. We're screwed, and this is proof we're screwed. And now everyone's feeling the horror of this. When she came out and said that, and then we all thought she was going to get canned. And then Karen Bass came out and said, no, we had a very productive conversation. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. We all knew that that relationship had been soured. And then came the ensuing weeks when Karen Bass told all of her employees basically what Elon Musk told all the federal employees. Hey give me a list, give me a five point list of ways I can fire this woman. Essentially is what happened. I'm sure of it. Karen Bass was like, let's go through line by line and give me tangible reasons why I can fire this person who just sandbagged me on television. And they did, and they came up with the fact that Kristin Crowley is sent under her watch. I guess you could say, I don't know if she personally did this, but that a thousand firefighters on the morning that the Palisades fire broke out were sent home, essentially that there were a thousand firefighters at home that could have been working the lines. Is the assertion that Kristin Crowley refused to do an after action report. These are two things that people came up with. Oh and she also didn't do this. Okay, perfect, we've got an excuse to fire her. But it also should not be ignored the kerfuffle that has happened with Karen Bass and Lindsay Horrvath at the Supervisor's building, and that power strugs well Karen Bass as practiced is she is being a cutthroat politician, ascending all of the ranks in California on the state level and now locally there's a very new thing that's happening where people are rolling on her the way that we haven't really seen people roll on people that have titles like Mayor of Los Angeles in the past when it comes to Horvath and Kristin Krowley.
Speaker 4: Well, and the other thing that came out on Friday, right towards the end of the show after the news conference, the Monica Rodriguez had come out City council member increasingly critical of Mayor Bass and said, oh, hell no, are not quoting there necessarily, but hal no, she said she wants to get ten of the fifteen lax city council members on board to override the firing of the chief. Now, that's a pretty significant uphill climb. You know, two thirds of the board. You they wouldn't be able to agree on anything. But I mean, I can't remember in the twenty plars plus years that I've been in La where the city council has fought back, even if it's just an individual city council member has fought that, fought back that aggressively against the mayor.
Speaker 2: Well, it was never public.
Speaker 1: You know, when I was a reporter. Yeah, I mean when I was a reporter whatever, fifteen years ago. There was always consternation between city Hall and the County Board of Supervisors. You know, Jaroslavsky and via Gosa, what have you. There's always been that, but it's been behind closed doors. It's been behind the city council chambers that those questions were asked and answered. It wasn't so public as it is now. You knew that those were you have those power struggles, but isn't that what we're seeing kind of nationally as well? You know, we always go back to the note that you know, George H. W left for Bill Clinton and how you know, civil things were just a handful of years ago and now everyone's fighting and it's out in the open it and within party within party two. Assolutely excellent point. That is shocking. But local politics as always within party, isn't it like in a place like.
Speaker 4: La Well, yeah, just because it's so monoculture in terms of which party you belong to and how how you get into the into the upper echelons.
Speaker 1: Ben to Union Square on this trip or or for the past ten years, because it's a toilet now it's an actual toilet where people just go to treat the streets like their own personal toilets and the city. Instead of realizing that and saying, huh, we should do something about criminalizing the open air drug markets and the needle paloozas and the defecation in the streets. Instead of doing anything about that, their answer is to put up a giant, forty foot tall nude statue of a woman. Riddle me that, like I just want someone to explain to me, like I am here to listen. I am. I love to hear your ideology behind that and how it's going to fix things.
Speaker 4: The beautification of the city, one naked lady at a time.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna explain it to me how boobs can.
Speaker 2: Break everything better.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: I'll see what I can do, but I'm not showing them to you. Gary and Shannon will continue seeing them.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Shannon. It's good to hear your boys back on the airwaves. There was a little, uh, it was a little lonely without you here.
Speaker 4: Hey, but we managed, grag struggled a little bit, but we try to keep them alive.
Speaker 3: And now that your bag an Airheart Radio. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Hi Gary, Hi Shannon. I just wanted to say, welcome back Shannon. It's so nice to hear you on the air again. We've missed you greatly.
Speaker 1: Not that we don't love you, Gary, it's just.
Speaker 5: You two have such a good banter between each other that I missed it and I'm happy to hear you on air together again.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Also, please ignore Maggie in the background screaming about Louie.
Speaker 1: Sorry Maggie and Blue. I mean, I could just listen to that all day long instead of this crap.
Speaker 4: I love Union Square up in San Francisco, organizers, with the backing of the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department, are hoping that they can install this for fifty foot tall statue of a nude woman called r Evolution and the embarked aero plaza across from the Ferry Building. They're going to have to get approval from the city's Arts Commission. The plan was originally to put it at Union Square, but they realized that there is a bunch of granite tiles that could crack at the base because of the size of this gal.
Speaker 1: There's a couple problems with this. I mean, put away all of the easy, low hanging fruit jokes about putting up a naked statue of a woman in a drug infested area.
Speaker 2: Just put that away.
Speaker 1: The ridiculous, isn't it. Put it away? She's rather sveltz. Have you seen the sure I'm looking for it. She's got a nice little waistline. She's too, she's too she looks like a model, really, and I don't think that's going to go over well in twenty twenty five, especially in a progressive, body conscious city. Like San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Apparently you a regular like it's a.
Speaker 1: Is that a twenty four inch waist? I mean, what are we dealing with here? That's not attainable. That's not a woman. That's not a real woman. That's somebody who Karen Carpenter. That's a struggle three an aarexia, your whole life. That's not real. Side, If you're gonna put up a naked woman, at least make her portion it to what real women.
Speaker 2: Look like like real women in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: San Francisco, I mean, come on, if you're gonna put well, I won't be offensive.
Speaker 2: Why stop now?
Speaker 1: But I mean, it's kind of interesting for saying it's an interesting move for San Francisco. The whole objectify you know, probably it's one of those take your power back women feminist things, But on its face, it looks like it's a very objectifying type statue of a woman who has a beautiful figure naked in a town square. For a number of reasons, why this just flies in the face of what San Francisco is. But I guess that's the.
Speaker 2: Paradox that is that city.
Speaker 4: I guess this. I still can't figure it out. If this is a sculpture that moves like. They bring it to different areas and part of the word, but they erect the statue there.
Speaker 2: They do call it.
Speaker 1: An installation, which to me means it's moved. It goes from city to city, because there's a bunch of different are moved.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: I mean you're more into the arts community.
Speaker 4: But I see it like there's a in Miami, there's one in Outed Burning Man.
Speaker 1: Those both make sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, So I assume this is a This is one piece that gets moved around different part the piece is part of a triptych of three similar sculptures. Oh that there is, one of which is in Vegas, the other in San Leandro. Of course, it has been displayed in Petaluma, last Vegas, and Miami Beach.
Speaker 1: I just want to cover her with sensible shoes and RII clothes and granola. I want to put a handful of granola in her and her stone fingers there.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's stone.
Speaker 1: I think it's uh and maybe a hat to protect herself from the sun that comes out once.
Speaker 4: Yes, she's she's gonna need some sunscreen if it gets too warm.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I did wear sunscreen over the weekend, by the way, Oh you did? Yeah? Good, Yeah, I know everybody's worried.
Speaker 4: I actually was going to take a picture and send it to Keana so that she could post it on our Instagram, just to you know what I pull off my back.
Speaker 1: You know what I found in my childhood bedroom. I found a Bible, like a real Bible that like you could It's like a church bible. It's huge.
Speaker 2: Could I feed it to my dog because he's got.
Speaker 1: A picture of Jesus on the front of it and everything. It's a huge bible. It's like it's I mean, the width of it is like six inches. It's like the legit bible that the priests use during a service.
Speaker 2: It's the real Bible.
Speaker 1: It's a huge bible.
Speaker 2: Had it been opened, there's.
Speaker 1: Even Encyclopedia dictionary at the end. It feels like it has never been opened, which it was my original point. Like I opened it, and I think it was the first time it's been open.
Speaker 2: You cracked their binding on it for the first time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'll take a picture of it to show you. It's very fancy, all right.
Speaker 2: As we get into swamp Watch.
Speaker 4: By the way, at the top of the hour, there were a couple I wanted to point something out. We'll do when we come back, a couple of people regarding the quick Elon Musk email that went out. There's a point of clarification I think we need to make, but we will talk about it as well.
Speaker 2: Coming up in swamp Watch, I.
Speaker 1: Took a picture of the massive Bible and said to Keana, it's right. It's on this shelf here right next to a replica of the state a Notre Dame stadium. There's a Bible and a replica of the Notre Dame stadium.
Speaker 4: That's very, very Catholic. You are really leaning into this thing, you bet Youah. People are upset that you gave away the twist in Conclave, by the way, Oh well.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it. I've just heard. Well I've heard this twist.
Speaker 4: Since it was before it even came out, and I I looked it up.
Speaker 2: It's not that the person is transsexual.
Speaker 1: Oh well, then I didn't give away anything.
Speaker 4: It's a it's uh, there's there's some confusing gender issues in there, but it's not true.
Speaker 1: What else is confusing as opposed to penis? No penis? Well, they're presenting as someone with a penis or presenting as someone without a penis.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say, but let's just say there's surprise, there's one of those penis.
Speaker 1: Surprise.
Speaker 2: Well, no, actually that the part.
Speaker 1: Was not surprise. Then how is it not involving a trans.
Speaker 4: Person because trans people make the transition.
Speaker 2: This person may have been born.
Speaker 1: With Oh no penis.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's not it. You're stuck in one lane.
Speaker 1: Just tell me yes or no when it comes to the penis. Yes, got it used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna have to see the movie. That sounds exciting.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna go pay twenty five dollars to find out what's going on with the penis.
Speaker 2: Hey, Gary and Channon, Channon, it's great to have you back. Love. When you're back, the show is just that much better. Anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this email, Yeah, I don't have a problem with the email itself.
Speaker 2: I have a problem with who it came from.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: If my boss asked me this question, fine, I'll respond. But some guy named Elon that I don't even freaking know. No, I'm not responding to that.
Speaker 3: I guess about why people don't want to respond to Elon. The email is the principle of the matter. They don't believe that he has any right to know.
Speaker 4: Well, to be clear, it does say please reply to the email with approximately five bullets of what you accomplished this week and c see your manager. So it's not like Elon Musk is going to go through two point three million emails from every federal employee and look at them. It also is supposed to go to your manager too, so that's if people care. For days, there have been rumors that there's going to be a big immigration enforcement sweep or sweeps throughout LA County and they.
Speaker 1: Were going to raid the churches for the children or something like that.
Speaker 4: So it turns out ICE has not yet said whether any special operations had taken place. They haven't arrested or released any arrest figures for the day. Representatives for FBI, LA County Sheriff LPD referred all their questions to ICE because those agencies are not in charge of whatever's going on with immigration and customs enforcement. So officers at Metro Detention Center down Town, LA, which is run by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, had been asked to prepare for an influx of new bookings from expected raids this weekend. Typically their staff to get new inmates only on weekdays. The handling weekend intakes actually requires ordering staff to come in on their off days, and.
Speaker 2: They were there.
Speaker 4: They did show up, but by mid afternoon, the immigration officials said they had dropped off fewer than a dozen people for processing. So some sources said that they were not getting the numbers that they want.
Speaker 1: So there's been no children corralled at the schools nor the churches. What do you argue that Los Angeles is the city most populated with people who are here illegally, who, well, just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if.
Speaker 1: Well, probably Texas somewhere.
Speaker 4: Top five for sure, but La Chicago, New York, I mean, not just even compared to those places along the border.
Speaker 2: I don't know, San Antonio, I guess Tucson.
Speaker 1: My point is, if this administration was rounding up people who are just here illegally, not people being targeted specifically because they're here illegally and have committed heinous crimes, that we would be hearing about this. US working in news, US living in Los Angeles, we'd be hearing about this every second of every day. If that was the case.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, that's I think that's the same.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that it's not, you know, but like, let's not start chaos and and you know, make people afraid to leave their homes when there's no reason.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 1: If there was, we would be talking about it. Nobody's hiding anything, but that's not what's going on. And I just think that that needs to get, you know, oxygen, so that people aren't living in fear. It's easy for me to say. I know it's easy for me to say, but I'm just I don't think it's doing anybody any favors. With the communities that are that we're talking about, to be fear mongering, well, it's just in the media. The boy in the media to put it on the nightly news. They're going into the schools and they're they're getting your children. I don't think that that's doing anyone any favors.
Speaker 4: And I don't know any kid in LA Unified, despite the fact that they've all got their information cards about what to do and say and their rights as fourteen year olds, I don't think have we haven't heard anything about any kid from LA Unified being approached by any federal agent about their immigration status.
Speaker 2: No, all right, when.
Speaker 4: We come back, the best place to get Nikes should be the Nike outlet, not the train as it rolls through the Mohave Desert.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't wait to hear this story. And does anybody hear about mass branded shoes and not think of the cult mass murder?
Speaker 2: So what do you mean the guy.
Speaker 1: The people that all put on the Nike shoes?
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, the old Heaven's Gate.
Speaker 1: I can't get past that. Nike, can't get past that in my mind.
Speaker 2: In your mind? But you still own Nikes, don't you?
Speaker 1: I don't for this reason.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's good thing you let things go. Why thirty five years old?
Speaker 2: But ROBERTA. Flack has died the age of eighty.
Speaker 1: Big ups to Lauren Hill too for bringing this back into the nineties so that people could love this song. I mean, I'm never really a big fan of remakes unless there's a whole generation of people that just would have never heard this song. Yeah, and that's definitely what happened with this one.
Speaker 4: That the first time I ever saw your fate, our first time ever I saw your face. Both of those songs in the seventies. She suffered a stroke about nine years ago. A couple of years out at als she collapsed. Yeah, she diagnosed with Louke Garrick's disease in twenty two, which took her ability to sing. She won five Grammys in her career, including a Lifetime Achievement award back in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: So we'll get into it coming up in swamp Watch. But here's your teas. The Trump administration is now backing off Elon Musk's weekend mandate that federal employees submit five things they accomplished in the last week. So we'll have all the details about how they're backpedaling that one and what that means, and what the new edict to federal organizations is.
Speaker 4: Sixty five thousand railroad cargo thefts last year of forty percent. It increased from the year before that, according to the Association of American Railroads. Typically classified at his burglaries because they don't often involve directly confronting any victims. They believe to cost the nation's largest rail companies more than one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of new sneaker releases. This is a big thing I mean, like there's guys that are into watches, some guys that are into watches and sneakers. There are women that are into handbags and also sneakers sometimes, but this is like a whole lifestyle of the new Nike sneakers, and so it's understandable. I can't believe this is the first time we're hearing about trains being targeted for mass items when it comes to these shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a weird it's not. It's not that weird.
Speaker 4: I mean, the idea of a train robbery probably goes back one hundred and forty years, but the way that they're doing it now, especially because trains themselves do not have the staff.
Speaker 2: That they used to one hundred years ago.
Speaker 4: You may have a couple of conductors, but you don't have a train wide that exists to keep an eye on all that stuff. So you've got these cargo containers basically that roll through in this case the Mohave Desert, just kind of out in the middle of nowhere. Somebody will go along, either they're tipped off to the contents of that container from somebody in the warehouse or somebody else in the shipping industry, or they just look for those containers with the biggest locks on them, because those are the ones that they know contain the most valuable products whatever it is, cut the lock, and then even while the train is still moving in some cases, they start unloading that stuff just by throwing it off to the side of the railroad tracks. And then whoever their comrades are, they roll up and just throw the boxes of shoes in this case, into the back of a box truck and take off.
Speaker 2: Okay, hot tip.
Speaker 1: If you want some of these shoes and you go to places like you know santi Alli, I mean, maybe you know a guy that will meet you in the valley and operate out of his trunk of his like nineteen ninety four Volvo. But if you don't and you go to like santi Alli, you gotta go behind the stuff that's in the front. Like you go by the stalls, and there's the stuff that's in the front of the stalls. You got to find the shady looking guy that's like back like near the curtain and kind of make eye contact and initiate conversation with him, because all the good stuff is behind that curtain. They don't put the good the real stuff that's taken off the trains up front at Santi Ali because of the raids. You gotta go to the guy near the curtain at the back of the stalls.
Speaker 2: Join us.
Speaker 4: Next segment when Shannon tells us how to buy the best cocaine.
Speaker 1: Well, kids, you can't do it anymore. They put fentanyl.
Speaker 2: Buy the cocaine.
Speaker 1: Nineties are over.
Speaker 4: In paren Arizona, thieves cut an air brake hose on a BNSF freight train back in the middle of January. They unloaded almost two thousand and pairs of unreleased Nikes that were worth more than four hundred and forty thousand dollars. These were most of them were the Nigel Serve Nigel ser Sylvester Air Jordan fours, which aren't actually available in the public until the middle of next month.
Speaker 2: Who is pure?
Speaker 1: I think it's called a piata, a picture of I think it's marrying Jesus and somebody else just found that.
Speaker 2: In this room too, and somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know who it is. It might be like an angel like Gabriel, right, is that the thing Gabriel?
Speaker 2: Gabriel like the angel?
Speaker 1: Was that an angel that was around with Jesus being born angel I feel like that sounds right.
Speaker 2: I don't get but I don't know who would be depicted with it, was it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a picture of it and send it to you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll run it through my my Cassine.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna send it to Keana because you said that picking the new pope was like picking somebody out of the farm season for your utility. Still base, No, no, no, I'm saying you are most sacriligious. I can't even get over it.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, don't start with the feedback that we've already gotten about how sacriligious we're being.
Speaker 2: But it is more.
Speaker 4: It's just that there is there is a mechanism, like there's some I mean, you went through the farm system already. You talked about the three or four different candidates that could be elevator.
Speaker 1: That's on the farm system. This is like shohe O Tani of the pope candidates. This isn't like somebody who's just some you know, nineteen year old out of Tulsa that got brought up through the Oakland A's. This is like the krem de la Creme. This is like Juan Soto. This is like the all star team of people that's going to be selected out of to become the pope.
Speaker 4: Defensive Catholics, You're damn right. Nobody wants the Pope to pass. But I'm trying to die, you guys, I'm not saying. I'm not saying because I wanted to happen. This is somebody who's had a series of health issues. He's eighty eight, and I think we need to make peace with that. I believe that he's gonna have some space at the front of the line that he's great. I love that Pope. By the way, he was a great pope. Which one Tho's the one who's dying.
Speaker 2: He's still the Pope. No, I know I'm talking about him in past tens.
Speaker 1: We all deal with grief differently.
Speaker 2: I guess something.
Speaker 1: There's no playbook. I learned it from Mark Garregist.
Speaker 2: Watch when we come back.
Speaker 4: You miss any part of our show, I always go back and check out the podcast. You could do it at KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or anywhere you find your favorite podcast.
Speaker 2: Just type in Gary and Shannon. We'll be back right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio AB