Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. You know how this works. Yeah, you send us your stuff, your sources, and we well, we dive deep to pull out the really important bits.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The goal is to get you up to speed quickly without you having to weigh through everything yourself.
Speaker 1: So today, based on what you sent over, we're looking at these excerpts from twisted Python projects. Specifically, the first few chapters all about building gui's graphical user interfaces.
Speaker 2: That's right, using Python and a library called guy zero.
Speaker 1: Looks like you're aiming to figure out how to make Python apps you can actually you click on and interact with.
Speaker 2: And these early chapters seem like a really practical starting point. We'll look at how guy zero is supposed to make things easier, starting with a basic Hello Gui.
Speaker 1: Right. Then there's a joke Machine project and something called a fart box soundboard.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes that one's quite something, but they all teach useful concepts.
Speaker 1: I saw the subtitle twelve wacky, useful, tricky, cool fun things to do That definitely taught my eye. Yes, we're not just like learning syntax rules.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. It's about building tangible things, which is often a much more engaging way to learn coding, right, helps the ideas stick.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's jump in chapter one. Low, gy, what are the aims here? Looks like understanding Python. GUIs getting set up and.
Speaker 2: Building that very first interactive window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, Python, Well it's everywhere, isn't it. The book calls it one of the fastest growing programming languages, superversal.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, websites, games, automation. Yeah, you can do a lot with it, and it's generally seen as easier to read than some other languages.
Speaker 1: Which probably helps explain his popularity. And the name I saw that mention.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Monty Python connection. Gredovin Rossum. The creator was apparently a fan.
Speaker 1: He just wanted something short and memorable. It's kind of funny for such a powerful tool.
Speaker 2: It is shows you don't always need a super serious name. And the book highlights Python's simplicity early on, right with.
Speaker 1: The Hillo World example. Just print Hello World simple.
Speaker 2: Compared to some other languages. The need Moore set up lines just for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The idea is fewer lines can mean fewer places for errors.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's Python, but we're building Jui's Guy's Hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the book uses that Cadbury's cream eg analogy.
Speaker 1: It does a visual way to interact. Yeah, and so just typing commands exactly.
Speaker 2: Think about your smartphone ATMs, anything with buttons and icons on a screen, that's a GUI. It's usually much more intuitive for most people.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. And the tool for this in the book is.
Speaker 2: GOO zero right, created by Laura Sak and Martin O'Hanlon. The book says it's specifically designed as a simpler way to make UIs in Python three, especially for learners.
Speaker 1: So it's a library like a collection of pre written code.
Speaker 2: Precisely. It gives you building blocks, buttons, textboxes, so you don't have to code them from scratch every single time. Saves a lot of effort.
Speaker 1: And the book mentions an easy install option too, just downloading files.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that can be useful if you're on a computer where you maybe can install software normally, But the standard way.
Speaker 1: Is using the command prompt right with PIP three exactly.
Speaker 2: PIP three installed zero. KIP is Python's package installer. Think of it like an app store for Python code libraries. It fetches GU zero and sets it up for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, and once it's installed, GO zero has elements and widgets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how the book categorizes things. Widgets are the visible things you interact with. Buttons, text, inputs, labels. Elements are more about structure and behavior like layout or handling events.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Now to write the code, you need an id.
Speaker 2: An integrated development environment. Yeah. It's basically a specialized text editor for code.
Speaker 1: And Python comes a one called IDL E pronounced idle.
Speaker 2: That's the one it's built in, so it's convenient to get started with. The book focuses on using IDL E, and it.
Speaker 1: Stresses organizing your code into sections, imports, variables, functions, app.
Speaker 2: Which is really good practice. It makes your code much easier to read, understand, and importantly debug later on.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's walk through that first project. Hello Gui. It's like Hello World, but interact right.
Speaker 2: Instead of just printing text, you get a window. You type your name in a box, click a button, and a.
Speaker 1: Pop up says hello plus your name exactly.
Speaker 2: It introduces input, the user typing their name and output the pop up message. Very fundamental concepts.
Speaker 1: First step, the book emphasizes save the file like Hello Gui, dot poy.
Speaker 2: Always save early, save often good advice.
Speaker 1: Then the import section we need app for the main window, info for the pop up message. Yet that's specific type of pop up, push button for the button, textbox for typing, and text for labels.
Speaker 2: And you import them from Guizero. You're telling Python, I need these specific tools from the Gui zero toolkit.
Speaker 1: The book also explains comments lines starting with hashtag ignored by Python but helpful for humans reading the.
Speaker 2: Code, essential for documentation and explaining complex parts.
Speaker 1: Then variables. The book uses that labeled jars analogy for storing data in memory.
Speaker 2: It's a good analogy. While this first project isn't heavy on variables, the concept is crucial for almost any program, so introducing it early makes sense.
Speaker 1: Next, functions many programs for specific tasks.
Speaker 2: Right, you define them once using def like deaf hello, and then you can call that function whenever you need it.
Speaker 1: The book uses a game over sequence as an example. Right at once, call it multiple times saves repeating code.
Speaker 2: Exactly in this project. The Hello function contains the code to create that pop up message.
Speaker 1: He uses info and joins Hello with whatever's in the textbox. String concatenation yep.
Speaker 2: Just stick in pieces of text together, and.
Speaker 1: The book mentions syntax here. The grammar of code using that Thor's hammer example. Yeah, spelling and structure matter.
Speaker 2: They absolutely do. A misplaced comma or a typo can stop the whole thing from working.
Speaker 1: Okay. Finally, the hashtag app section building the actual GUI.
Speaker 2: This is where you put the pieces together.
Speaker 1: App app Hello World creates the window and.
Speaker 2: Sets the title app is the main container.
Speaker 1: Then added text widget for instructions and to your name the static label. Then the textbox widget for the user to type in.
Speaker 2: You can set the width right control the size.
Speaker 1: You push button. This is key command Hello links the button click to our hello function.
Speaker 2: That's the connection event. Button click triggers the function show.
Speaker 1: Pop up, and you set the buttons label like click me yep. And the most important line maybe app dot.
Speaker 2: Display absolutely critical. Without that, you define the GUI, but it never actually shows up on the screen.
Speaker 1: Then you run it usually F five and IDL E. The book also lists common.
Speaker 2: Errors to check installation issues, typos, case sensitivity, the usual suspects when you're starting out.
Speaker 1: And I like that. Three other things to try A bit change background color with big, resize the textbox, use a worn pop up instead of info.
Speaker 2: Encourages experimentation right away, reinforces learning by doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the recap of terms zero, widgets, functions, useful summary.
Speaker 2: Definitely helps solidify those core ideas.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on chapter two, Are you funnier than a hyena? The choke machine? Hey?
Speaker 2: Yes, a gooi with a button that shows a random joke. Simple idea but introduces new things.
Speaker 1: The book mentions the benefits of laughter. First, nice touch, that's the mood.
Speaker 2: And this project teaches about using Python's random module and working with lists.
Speaker 1: So imports. First, we need app text push button from guy zero.
Speaker 2: Against standard Gooi elements.
Speaker 1: But also import random that's built into Python itself.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, random is part of Python's standard library. Very useful module.
Speaker 1: Then we need jokes. The book explains lists storing multiple items in one variable like a shopping list.
Speaker 2: Good analogy. Here we create list of jokes and put joke strings inside parentheses separated by commas.
Speaker 1: Right, and use underscores in the variable name list of jokes, not.
Speaker 2: Spaces common Python style makes it readable.
Speaker 1: The book suggests using print to check the list first, then commenting it out smart debugging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, print debugging is simple but effective. Check the data looks right before you use it.
Speaker 1: Okay. The core logic the select joke function. How does it pick a random one?
Speaker 2: It uses random dot rand range. This function needs a range of numbers to pick from, and that.
Speaker 1: Range relates to the position of jokes in the list. Python lists start at index zero.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, first joke is at zero, second, one, and so on. So if you have four jokes, the indices are zero, one, two, three.
Speaker 1: But we don't want to hardcode the upper number of the range in case we add more chokes.
Speaker 2: Right, That's where lin list of jokes comes in. Lynn gives you the number of items in the list. Ah, So random dot rand range Lin list of jokes. We'll always pick a valid random index from zero up up to but not including the link precisely.
Speaker 1: It adapts automatically. If you change the number of jokes very flexible.
Speaker 2: Then you use that random index to get the actual joke string from the list.
Speaker 1: Yep like list of jokes random.
Speaker 2: Index, and how do we display it? The book mentions a text widget and its dot value attribute.
Speaker 1: That's right. You create a text widget, maybe initially empty, and then inside the function you set it's that value to the chosen joke string. That updates what's shown on the screen.
Speaker 2: Okay, building the GUI itself, set the app title joke machine maybe set with in height.
Speaker 1: Standard set up with app. You can also set the background color using app dot BG, add a.
Speaker 2: Title text maybe using a specific font like impact.
Speaker 1: Yeah text widget. Again, customizing text size and font adds a bit of personality.
Speaker 2: And the button push button link to select joke using command select joke button text tell me a joke.
Speaker 1: Just like the hellogi button, but triggering the joke function this time.
Speaker 2: And we need that empty text widget where the joke will appear yep, a placeholder that gets updated by.
Speaker 1: The function, and app dot display to show it all.
Speaker 2: Can't forget that.
Speaker 1: The book also shows how to make it automatic jokemachine auto dot pi yeah.
Speaker 2: Using the repeat method, you can tell a widget like the joke display text to repeatedly call a function after a certain time interval.
Speaker 1: And that interval is in milliseconds.
Speaker 2: Correct, so you need to convert seconds or minutes to milliseconds seconds times one thousand.
Speaker 1: Cool, so you could have a joke pop up every minute or.
Speaker 2: Something exactly a bit of scheduled fun.
Speaker 1: Again. Things to try, shange font, colors, background, add a funny picture with the picture widget.
Speaker 2: More encouragement to tinker and learn by modifying and.
Speaker 1: A recap, variable list, iteration, building blocks.
Speaker 2: Slowly adding more tools to your programming toolbox.
Speaker 1: I Prepare Yourself. Chapter three fart Box a disgusting soundboard.
Speaker 2: Yes, memorable if nothing else. The goal is a GUI with buttons that play.
Speaker 1: Sounds, specifically fart sounds. Okay, yeah, But the skills learn seem useful layouts buttons triggering sounds, audio playback functions, file handling images exactly.
Speaker 2: Beneath the surface humor, there are solid programming concepts here. Layouts are particularly important for more complex interfaces.
Speaker 1: So first you need sound files dot waveformat and an image PNG or dot gift.
Speaker 2: Right, and the book stresses organization. Create a subfolder maybe called farts for these media.
Speaker 1: Files, and save the pythons grit, fartmachine, dot PUI in the main folder outside the farts folder.
Speaker 2: Good structure keeps codes separate from assets.
Speaker 1: Imports app box, picture, push button text from new zero familiar stuff yep, but also import wind sound. That's for playing sounds on Windows.
Speaker 2: Correct, it's a Windows specific module. The book notes simple idio as an alternative for Mac and Linux users.
Speaker 1: Important distinction cross platform compatibility.
Speaker 2: Definitely something to be aware of when dealing with things like audio or system features.
Speaker 1: Now the functions one for each sound dot fart one to fart six makes sense.
Speaker 2: Each function's job is simple play one specific sound file.
Speaker 1: Using winsound dot playsound. It needs the path to the sound file like fartsfart one, dot wave and that windsound dot s and s y.
Speaker 2: And C flag right snds CIC means a synchronous play the sound, but don't make the program wait for it to finish. The guy stays responsive, crucial for.
Speaker 1: A soundboard where you might click buttons rapidly exactly. There's also an exit function plays a burp dot wave, apparent it a final flourish, and then uses app dot destroyed to close the window.
Speaker 2: App dot destroy is the command to properly shut down the good zero application.
Speaker 1: Okay, GUI build time app fart box set with height background saddle brown.
Speaker 2: Oh my thematic consistency perhaps?
Speaker 1: Uh huh? Add a title text, add a picture widget for the image. So we're adding visuals.
Speaker 2: Too, Yes, showing how to integrate images alongside other widgets.
Speaker 1: Now layout this uses the box object like an invisible container.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to think of it. It helps group and arrange other widgets.
Speaker 1: And here it uses layout grid so we can place buttons in rows.
Speaker 2: And columns exactly like coordinates on a map or sells in a spreadsheet. The book uses grid x y, where x is the column and why is the row. Remember zero based again, so grid.
Speaker 1: Zero zero is the top left position in the box. Then we create the push button widgets inside this box.
Speaker 2: Yes, specifying the box as their parent container.
Speaker 1: Each button gets linked to its fart function via command gets button text fart one and its position. Using grid exit.
Speaker 2: You carefully place each button in the desired grid sell same for.
Speaker 1: The exit button linked to exit text exit placed in the grid and maybe colored red using dot pg.
Speaker 2: Visual q that it does something different like closing the app.
Speaker 1: And finally dot app dot display.
Speaker 2: Bring the box to life.
Speaker 1: The book includes troubleshooting again audio settings, file formats, folder structure, function names, matching commands, typos, all the.
Speaker 2: Common pitfalls, especially when dealing with external files and specific function names and things.
Speaker 1: To try change individual button colors, add more buttons and sounds.
Speaker 2: Which means creating more functions, more push buttons, figuring out new grid coordinates, maybe resizing the box good practice, and scaling up.
Speaker 1: The chapter ends with statements of fact summarizing GUI zero concepts like box, grid picture.
Speaker 2: Nice little recap reinforces the terminology from this chapter and it gives.
Speaker 1: The install command and basic usage for simple audio two Windows users.
Speaker 2: Good on them for including that explicitly makes the project more accessible.
Speaker 1: So wow, Okay, that covers the first three chapters. We looked at. Quite a journey from a simple pop up to a multi button soundboard.
Speaker 2: It really is, and based on these excerpts, you should have a well a foundational grasp of making gewiyes with Python and guzero.
Speaker 1: From Hello World with a button to random jokes to well the fart box.
Speaker 2: And even if the examples are a bit quirky, the underlying principles widgets, events, functions, layouts using libraries are really core programming ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've gotten from basic syntax to building things that actually do stuff on screen, respond to clicks, play sounds.
Speaker 2: It's a tangible way to see your code come to life, which can be really motivating.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and I think taking that advice to try the extra challenges, tweak the code, add your own jokes or sounds, that's where you really make it your own.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that hands on experimentation is crucial. Don't just copy the code, play with it, break it, fix it. That's how you learn.
Speaker 1: So here's a final thought to maybe Neutilon. Now that you've seen how well relatively easy Gay zero makes building these interfaces, what else could you build?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What everyday little tools or maybe bigger ideas or even just silly concepts could you try and create with a bit of Python geocode?
Speaker 1: Think about it? What would you like to make interactive?
Speaker 2: It's a great question. And hey, if you do build something cool or have more questions as you explore, we'd be interested to hear about it. Might even inspire another deep dive.