Speaker 1: PBN Family, it's time for the Prepper Tip of the Day.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. Dave Jones, the NBC guy, with your Prepper Tip for the Day. Now, this is going to be an easy one. Your bug-out bag, your get-home bag, every bag you have, your everyday bag, you should have a set of gloves. A set of gloves. If you've ever hiked through brush or terrain, you don't want your hands ripped up by thorns and grabby things. You need to have a set of gloves in every bag you have and maybe a few, just put them in the car for people that may be with you when everything goes to craps. I can't say enough good things about gloves. I wear gloves all the time here at the Jones Homestead, whenever I'm working, and definitely whenever I'm out. That is your prepper tip for the day, gloves. Hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, and I am on fire with tips. Oh, my gosh. This guy is on fire. Anyway, for all you Swifties out there, here's my tip. No, no, this is not my tip. This is what you should do. You should get hand tools. Hand tools. Listen, in my NBC class, I jokingly tell everybody, hey, when EMP hits, we just become Amish overnight. And... And I often say that if your long-term plan for survival includes electricity, you may have a bad plan. So hand tools, that's a no-brainer. My tip is estate sales. Yes, estate sales, yard sales, Trust me, you can get these things for pennies. Pennies on the dollar. I picked up a brand new Fisker axe for $ 6.
Speaker 1: $ 6.
Speaker 2: This thing is normally like $ 20, $ 30. Never used. You know, you need all the hand tools needed That you would use if the electricity was out forever. So think about that. Hand tools for everything. Do you have something to drill with? Do you have one of those hand augers? I do. I have a few of them. And the bits go in. And you can make holes by drilling with your hands. Look. Think about the worst case scenario and plan backwards from that because you can do it. You can do it. The Amish do it every day. Take care and prep on. hello everyone out there in internet radio land this is dave jones the nbc guy with you another tip the tip is it's more like a myth okay so in the back channel uh the intrepid commander said maybe we could do myths prepper myths and this is this is it uh if your plan includes hunting fishing foraging, you have a bad plan. All of those things should be extra. That is a myth. If you think you can hunt your way out of the apocalypse, that is a myth. Hunting is hope. And hope is not a strategy, okay? You have to have a plan for your protein. You have to secure it. And you have to move forward knowing that it is secure. You can't leave it to hope. So that is your prepper tip of the day. Secure your protein. Don't rely on luck. Luck is not a strategy. Take care and prep on. Hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. And as you can tell, I kind of do a bunch of tips on the weekend, and then I upload them so that they land every day. I promise 30 tips in 30 days. And today's tip is bartering. Trade. Everybody has something that they could trade for something that they want. And it's not what you're thinking.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's labor. Labor. You could do work. If you know how to split wood, you could split wood for someone to get whatever you want. You know, a day's work for an item that you need or pay. You know, gold, silver, precious metals, they only have value if value is put on them. You know, Our cash is a fiat currency, so it's backed by nothing. It's backed by your promise to work hard all your life and die. That's what our government says. The work ethic of America is what makes United States currency value. So there has never been a fiat currency issue. That hasn't failed. So in the history of the world. So it's only a matter of time till the dollar drops and you have to have something else to go back on. You know, I keep most of my gold, the gold that I do have in gold backs. I think they're fantastic. They're beautiful, practically indestructible. Silver, I have some silver. But like I said, those two items right there only have value if people put a value on them. They're pretty much worthless unless you want to conduct electricity or drop a silver coin in milk, it will retard the bacteria from forming as antibacterial properties. You can make colloidal silver from silver and distilled water by electrolysis. But that's a tip for another day. Anyway, trade. Work on it. Have a skill that is in demand. in an shtf situation and you will always have something to trade take care and prep on hello everyone out there in internet radio land this is dave jones with your first tip of national preparedness month standardization okay this is a concept more than a tip but you want to standardize things across the board amongst your family, amongst your group. I can't stress this enough, that standardization, where you carry things, what you carry, like I talked about the multi-tool the other day. If you all have the same multi-tool, you all have the same capabilities. And if you carry them in the same place, you know exactly where that person's carrying the multi-tool and you can find it in the dark and pull it out and use it. So standardization, that is your tip of the day. Standardize weapons so you can interchange parts, interchange magazines, interchange calibers. I can't stress standardization enough. Use the concept as much as possible. Take care and prep on it.
Speaker 3: Let's talk comms for our prepper tip of the day. Before we get specific on equipment, let's talk about the basics, kind of like what comms means. I know for me in my life, I've had a couple times where I've been stuck in a location and And I've not been able to either talk or hear to the outside world. And that was during a hurricane.
Speaker 1: Both times.
Speaker 3: One was at the coast and one was here in the mountains of North Carolina. So everybody thinks about prepping and the three B's, right? Beans, bullets, and Band-Aids, right? But what comes after B? C, comms. So every day we talk, we listen, we process, and then we take action. A comms plan will help us be more efficient and have a longer range for our talking and our listening. Think about, we've heard on BBN posts talking about the PACE plan, right? Primary, alternate, contingency, and emergency, right? You have four things to cover one incident. So if we put that in the realm of comms, if we do a, PACE plan for comms will have, let's just think the primary is your cell phone. It's what you use. You just carry it. Everybody's got it with them every day, and that's their primary. They talk to their family, their friends, their coworkers with the cell phone. And alternate to that is what if you just can't make a phone call because it's not socially appropriate to be talking on the phone? or because the service is spotty. Well, for your alternate plan, you could do texting, you could do emails, some kind of digital communication, which tends to have a better chance of getting through if the cell service is spotty. After that contingency, and you know me, I love to talk about radios. So we can talk about all kinds of radios, right? Not specific, but Ham, the amateur bands, the GMRS, the FRS, the little raiders that the kids run around with. And you can also think about Meshtastic, which is kind of a little more of a cutting edge, but it's gaining likes. So yeah, so contingency. After that, emergency, your last ditch effort. If you can't get your family members or your friends that you're supposed to meet up with If you can't get them on the phone, they're not replying to texts or emails, and for whatever reason, the radios aren't working, you're down to your last-ditch effort. Your PACE plan should have something set up where you guys say, okay, if this happens, we're all going to meet up at this location, and we're going to wait there for so many minutes or so many hours before we proceed on to the next location. Well, that's it for now. Hope that gets you thinking about doing a comms pace plan for yourself. Thanks for listening to Let's Talk Comms, PPN Prepper Tip of the Day.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone out there on Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, with your tip for the 3rd of November. Today is the first day of school, so I thought I'd record this early because I don't know how the first day is going to go, but it's going to be crazy. Hey, something I always say is capability and limitations, okay? This is another concept for prepping. You have to understand the capabilities and limitations of all your equipment and all your personnel. You wouldn't use a hammer for a screwdriver, right? So don't put a 90-pound pack on a 100-pound woman and expect her to hump a trail, right? You understand capabilities and limitations. You're only as strong as your weakest person in your group. Whoever is the worst shot, okay, that is your best you can do. So understand capabilities and limitations of your equipment, what it can do, what it can't do, and have a realistic idea of of what your people can do and what they can't do. Because you don't become Rambo in SHTF. It just doesn't happen. As a matter of fact... between the stress and the physical, you know, stress of the situation, you will become less effective, not more effective. So understand capabilities and limitations. That's your tip for today. Hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the Emerson. The NBC guy. I'm trying to do this with two different phones. Anyway, this is your prepper tip for the day. I've got to make it quick because the warden is going to catch me. This is a tip about gorilla gardening. Gorilla gardening is using land that you have access to but you may not necessarily own. Think about the the area between two lane highways divided, the medial. In that area right there, you could sneak out, plant things that go in the ground and just leave them there. I'm talking about horseradishes, carrots, anything that's tuber, onions, garlic, ginger. Even potatoes. I mean, potatoes, who knows what a potato plant looks like, right? And if they cut it off, it will grow back. So plant them in there in the middle of darkness. No one knows they're there but you. And as long as they don't spray, they'll be there when you need it. That is the prepper tip of the day. Hello everyone out there in internet radio land. It's Dave Jones, the NBC guy, with your prepper tip of the day. Now, listen up, because this is going to be kind of complicated and kind of quick. So, your prepper arsenal should contain five weapons. Now, you should achieve these in this order. Okay? So, if you don't have any weapons, your first one you want to buy is a.
Speaker 1: 22. A.
Speaker 2: 22 caliber is a small... gun that you can hunt game with, and there's plenty of ammo out there. It's easy to carry. Number two, a nine millimeter. It's the most plentiful round in the world. In the world, it's a NATO standard. Number three, 12-gauge shotgun. A 12-gauge shotgun because of the versatility and because the home defense, close quarters defense, proximity of firing. I mean, it is an all-around great defense weapon. Number four, some type of AR gun. platform either in 5.56 or my personal favorite 7.62 because that is also a nato standard round okay and then finally your fifth weapon is something for long range shooting think sniper rifle Maybe a. 30- 06 or a 7.62. 7.62 if you have them in your AR. You can standardize that cartridge for also your sniper weapon. So there, that is your prepper arsenal that you should strive to achieve. And that is your prepper tip of the day. Jones, the NBC guy with your prepper tip of the day. Now look, if you cannot afford Israeli bandages, which are like, you know, $ 8 a bandage, you should think about sterile napkins. Yes, feminine hygiene products. They are sterile, they're sanitary, and they're made to absorb blood. You can pack a lot of them into a wound to stop it from bleeding. They're inexpensive. You should have some on hand if you have females in your group that are still menstruating. And a tampon works well in a bullet wound. Just saying. That is your prepper tip for the day. So, the three knife concept. You need to always have three different types of knife. Remember I said right tool for the right job? Okay, you need to have a big knife. like a machete or a short sword. And if it has a saw tooth on the back end of it, that is great. And that goes on your get out bag, your get home bag, your, you know, what you're going to beat through the brush because you could make a shelter with that. The number two knife is the hunting camp knife. And it's a medium knife, maybe a five inch blade. a nice thick blade so it doesn't break you need to have you know like oh I wouldn't go with a two millimeter five millimeter you know a nice this is a camp knife this is a knife that you use around the campsite and if you had to you could build a shelter with it because it's that sturdy the Mora is a is a great brand of knives Swedish you know that fits this bill And then you need to have a third knife, a small knife, maybe a neck knife. And that is the knife you would skin game with and do things like that with. So that is the three knife concept. You need to have at least three knives, each one to do a different job. That is your prepper tip for the day. hello everyone out there in internet radio land dave jones the nbc guy and i'm keeping with the medical theme right now super glue super glue 1001 uses no wait that's duct tape but uh super glue um so the matter of facts guys at prepper camp super glue i cut myself terribly and it was a great slice, a clean cut, my thumb, all the way down to the tendon, and they super glued it together. You can do this with wounds. Clean cut, sliced wounds. You can super glue them together. And it's as good as stitches, maybe better. I don't even think I have a scar. I mean, that's how good these guys did it. So, You need to have little single serving super glues. You can get them at the dollar store. You get like five of them for a dollar. That's 20 cents. You can't even buy sutures for that. But remember, they're only good for clean slices. If you have a rip or a tear... it's not going to work very good so that is your tip for the day super glue and your medical kit i'm coming to you with the prepper tip of the day and it is emergency fund What do you have in your emergency fund? How much cash do you have on hand right now? Right now. And, you know, coming up with the anniversary of 9-11, when everything was shut down, Wall Street closed, the stock market dropped 1,000 points, and back then 1,000 points was a lot. ATMs, you know, How much cash do you have on hand right now? Now, you know, Dave Ramsey, I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey. He says $ 1, 000. But, you know, with inflation eating on our dollar every day, $ 1, 000 isn't much. Isn't much. You need to have cash on hand. And in your wallet, in the back corner of your wallet, I put between $ 200 and $ 300.
Speaker 1: In 50s and 100s.
Speaker 2: And it's because you pull out a 50 and flash it in front of someone, they're going to do what you want them to do. Okay? Okay? $ 20 bills ain't what $ 20 bills used to be. So you got to adjust your emergency fund. What if tomorrow the ATMs just stop? How much cash do you want to have on hand when they're only accepting cash? Okay, that's your emergency fund. And that is your prepper tip for the day. We talked about emergency fund. Okay, now we're going to talk about bartering stuff. What do you have to trade? And here's the tip. You need to have something to trade that you make more of.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not something you stockpile. Do you understand? It's something that you create that is rare and You know, we have salt. We have hundreds of pounds of salt. But we're not trading it. We're keeping it for ourselves. Think about all the things that are barterable in SHTF. You can't make more silver. You can't make more salt unless you're sitting on top of a natural salt deposit. you know, like a dry lake bed or something like that. So it has to be something that you create, you know, whether it's food, if you can create more food to trade, whether it's livestock or skills. You can barter skills. If it's manual labor, you can split wood. If it's blacksmithing, if you can fabricate from metal, that's a skill that you can barter. Some people store alcohol. Here at the Jones Homestead, we don't because we know how to make more whiskey. We can make practically unlimited supplies of whiskey. So we have stuff that we can trade here. And you need to think about what it is that you will be able to trade. And it can be labor. If you've got a strong back, everybody needs wood split. So there you go. Think about trading, PBN family. And that is your prepper tip of the day. Hello everyone out there in the internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NVC guy, and I'm too much energy drink. I am over-caffeinated and under-medicated. So this prepper tip is have a tent. Have a tent. A tent gives you added capabilities and versatility. And not just to go pitch a tent somewhere outside. But to put it up inside your house, if the power goes off and you need to heat a room, put the tent inside the room and only heat the tent. So many people died when the power went off in Texas. And if they just had a tent and figured out, hey, I only have to heat the tent and I can do that with a candle. Okay? So have a tent on hand. It gives you capabilities like if someone happens to show up at your house and says, hey, I need to stay with you, give them the tent and put them in the yard. You don't have to put them in your house. Or if you have overflow, a tent is just a an all-around great answer for just a bunch of different things. So use your imagination. Have a tent. That's your Prepper Tip for the day. Hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. My Prepper Tip for the day is oil. oil, cooking oil. You have to know how to render fat to make lard or oil. You have to know that as a prepper and you have to have a stockpile of oil. Now, even if your oil goes bad, goes rancid, don't throw it away. It can still be used for a lamp, make an oil lamp out of it. Um, you know, with a regular old cotton wick. Or you can use it to lubricate things, hinges, anything, anything with metal that needs lubrication. Ransom oil will work. So have a stockpile of oil. Don't worry if it goes bad because you can always use it for something else other than its intended cooking. And remember that ghee and lard... things like that last the longest know how to render oil and that's the prepper tip for the day hello everyone out there in internet radio land this is dave jones the nbc guy have i got a tip for you today and it's about communications okay not not a bow fang not not a ham radio not a gmrs not a CB. Communications within your family. Set up a code word with your family if you are ever under duress. And it should be a word that you can work into a conversation super easy. something about the weather, the house, duties of a job, something that if someone's pointing a gun to your head, you can speak about without alerting them to saying, oh, that's a code. And that lets everybody know that You're in a bad situation. You're compromised. You have a problem. And the problem, I can't tell you what it is, but I have a problem. So, think about what that would be. And then, communicate it to everybody in the family. Everybody in your family. And it has to be the same. The same thing. or phrase you don't have a different word for different people it's the same thing and if you can work it into a conversation you know it could be pizza it could be you know something that you can work into a conversation very easy the sun we had great weather yesterday And then you can explain that away as, if all I said was yes and no, they would catch on. I had to talk about something. I chose the weather. Anyway, that is my prepper tip for the day. Duress! This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, with your prepper tip of the day. You hear that squeaky chair? I am in the office, hiding from the warden. Hey, here's your tip. I get asked this question somewhat regularly. It'll go something like this. If I only have $ 50 or $ 100, what would you spend it on? And there's one thing that I always tell people. Spend it on education. Education. something new, learn something new, a blacksmithing course, a welding course, you know, learn how to make wine or beer or bread or your knowledge, your brain. They can't take that away from you. If you lost every piece of gear you had, but you still know how to fabricate metal, you are of value. So, if you only have a limited amount of funds to spend, always get new knowledge, new education. Find out something you didn't know yesterday. When I say establish a position and improve upon it daily, there's no better way to spend your prepper dollars than learning something new. And that is my prepper tip for the day. Take care and prep on. You got to do a walkthrough. You've got to walk through your property. You've got to walk the perimeter. You've got to figure out how you're going to secure your property. And the only way to do that is do a walkthrough. Yeah, you could do a Google map recon, something like that. But until you walk the land, you're not going to know. Where to put certain things, you know, like a trip wire, an alarm, a camera, a light. You have to walk your property and walk the perimeter. Remember when I said about the concentric circles?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Well, that's one of your circles, is your outer perimeter of your property. You have to walk it. That is my prepper tip for the day. Listen, today's tip is on water. Water. So, you need to secure your water. You need to be able to collect it, treat it, filter it, distill it You need to have at least two sources of water, primary and alternate. My contingency is my rain barrels, and my emergency water is the water that I have in storage. So that's what we have here at the Jones Homestead. You can easily do a rain catchment with food-grade 55-gallon drums, and then you put a spout collection... on it. You know, they're like 18 bucks at Home Depot. It's a thing that you put in your rain spout and it goes in and then they also have a valve with a hose connection that you can put in the bottom of the barrel. So, you need to have a way to have water because you can't make water. You have to have it to be able to filter it and treat it or distill it. Do you have a distiller? They're pretty inexpensive. Around $ 100 you can get a small one. That way if you get any kind of water, you can distill it and make it pure. So you need to secure your water system. That is my prepper tip of the day. Primary Alternate Contingency Emergency. Take care and prep on. Hello everyone out there in internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy with your prepper tip of the day. Now look, everybody knows they need to start their off-grid medical kit, right? Everybody goes for that antibiotics and stuff like that first. But how about if you go with all the over-the-counter stuff, right? The things that you can buy right now without a prescription that'll just make your life easier and better and less painful in the SHTF. Now, I highly recommend Dr. Forgey's list in his handbook to the Prepper Medical Handbook, which we advertise all the time. But all of this is not the tip. The tip is the dollar store. you can get a lot of good over-the-counter medical preps at the dollar store, and you can stock up now. I mean, I mentioned super glue. That's where I got mine. You get a five-pack of one-use super glue for a dollar, and they not only seal up deep cuts that are sliced, okay? You can use super glue for all kinds of stuff. So the tip is the dollar store medical supplies. Get you some, build you a cash, and it doesn't have to be expensive. Take care and prep on. Sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sleep is vitally important. It's the single best thing you can do to boost your immune system is sleep. And in an SHTF situation, you'll be under more stress than you can imagine. That's the reason I chuckle, okay? When I was in the military... I did not get a lot of sleep. And the thing about sleep is, if you lose 24 hours of sleep, 50% of your mental faculties are impaired. So if you're the person that's making key decisions for your operation, do you want that person to be without 50% of their mental capacity?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: 50% of mine is, you know, 10 of most people so you want them to have sleep now you can break it up into two four hour increments it's not as good but it's still quality sleep and and that's another thing quantity versus quality Uh, you need to be safe and secure in your sleep. If you're trying to do guard watch and take a quick nap or something like that, that's not going to work. Uh, On the other hand, if you lose 24 hours of sleep, if you go without sleep for 24 hours, you only lose 10% of your physical capabilities. So you can do physical work longer than you can do mental work. So that should be factored into your prepper plan. Sleep, vitally important for every member of your crew and super important for the person making life and death situation decisions. That's my prepper tip for the day. Sleep, very important. Take care and prep on. Hello everyone out there in internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, with your prepper tip of the day. I'm in the office. You hear the squeaky chair? Look, you got to dry fire your weapons. What? Everybody tells me not to dry fire. Look, they are mechanically designed to do 50 to 100,000 times firing. Okay? So, dry firing them is not going to wear out that mechanism. Trust me, if you're not going out every weekend and putting 200 or 300 rounds through that weapon, it is not going to hurt.
Speaker 1: It at all.
Speaker 2: The utility... that you are going to get from carrying it, drawing it, aiming, firing, is way, way more important than trying to save that mechanism from being dry-fired. Okay? And you could put a dime on the end of your barrel, and keep your sight picture, and draw, I mean... slowly trigger control is what you want a monkey can align the sights trigger control is what you want you want to be able to squeeze that trigger think about it it's the only moving part of the weapon that trigger because once it goes through its mechanism that bullet is launched and gone You can't affect it anymore. So you have to get trigger control down. Whatever it is to pull that trigger. And if you put a dime on the end of your barrel and it doesn't fall off, you're squeezing it, squeezing it. It was an exercise that we used to do with a revolver. And we would do it in double action. which means you pulled, the cylinder rotated, and the hammer fell, and the dime never fell off the end of the barrel. So, dry fire away, PBN family. Dry fire away. Get used to carrying your weapon, however you're going to carry it. Get used to the mechanism of it. The reason the Israelis... Defense force is so good and they send the weapons home with the people. You have to have the utility of carrying it, holding it, firing it. You have to know what works and what don't work. So that's my prepper tip for the day. Do not fear the dry fire. Hello everyone out there in internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. Giving you another prepper tip of the day. And this is isolation. Isolation is your best friend in a pandemic. A biological agent. A germ. A germ. You need to be able to isolate yourself from the outside world. But more importantly... You need to be able to protect anybody that gets sick. If you have a master bedroom, you have an isolation quarters. the same person takes care of them every day at the same time. You take them food, whatever they need, and they are isolated from the rest of the house, the rest of the family. And that person, only one person takes care of them because if they come down with the sickness, then they become isolated. But you need to know that isolation is your best friend. If there is isolation, when there is the next pandemic if you stay away from everybody that is your best defense your second best defense is cleaning yourself cleaning your hands destroying germs okay alcohol 70 percent or more uh hydrogen peroxide greater than seven percent um Clorox, chlorine, totally neutralizes any kind of germ agent. So that is my prepper tip for the day. Isolation. Think about it. Take care and prep on. And I don't know why I came up with this tip. I woke up this morning and this is stuck in my brain pan. So I just thought I'd get it out there. And that is performance-oriented training, or the acronym we used in the Army, POT. They say, what are we going to do today? Oh, we're going to do some POT. You know, and it was a big joke. But performance-oriented training is, and you may have already participated in something like this, very small, hands-on tasks. that you can do, and it's designed to get you tuned up, get you ready, get you thinking, like loading and clearing a weapon. Very small tasks like that. Of course, use dummy rounds. Do not use live rounds. There's an accidental discharge that could occur, so use dummy rounds. Applying a bandage, applying a tourniquet, and then you would do this in like what we called a round-robin type affair, where you go to a different station, there'd be a table, and boom, you perform the task. And it was a pass-fail kind of thing. So you either did it right and got a pass, go, no-go, or you got a no-go, which means you need more hands-on training with that particular skill. So it's designed to get a lot of. Opportunities in in a short period of time. And you'd get like maybe two minutes, three minutes at a table. The instructor would tell you what the task was and boom, you'd do it. And then they'd blow a whistle and you'd rotate.
Speaker 1: To the next one.
Speaker 5: So I don't know why that is stuck, but if you can use that in any way, Think about small individual tasks, hands-on, that.
Speaker 2: You can perform in front of someone evaluating you and have a bunch of them. Do this, now do this, now do this, now do this. That's POT, Performance Oriented Training, and that's your prepper tip for the day. And this tip is going to be kind of out of the ordinary, but it is a good prepper tip just the same. Do you have something to keep young minds occupied? Do you have something that does not require electricity to keep people busy, busy, busy, busy? Do you have board games on hand? Listen, if you have to shelter in place or spend a long period of time in the house and there is no electricity, how are you going to keep those young minds occupied? while you're taking care of business board games go around yard sales things like that make sure you check all the pieces sometimes on clearance at walmart but you need to have on hand some board games Clue. Risk. Monopoly. Games that young people can play and not think about what you're doing, and they can play all by themselves. Set them up. Get them started. It's like a snowball rolling down the hill. Look, we started this a long time ago. And for a while, the kids looked forward to the power going off because they knew that's when we were going to break the board games out and play. Now they're a little older and, well, but family time. Maybe even make a game night. Do a game night to get them used to it. Train them so that they know what Monopoly is and how to play it. or Risk, or any one of the games that take a while. Even Sorry. You know, Sorry, where you try, it's kind of like a short version of Chinese Checkers. You should have them on hand. Take them out every once in a while. Have a game night with the family. And prep on.
Speaker 4: PPN Family, it's time.
Speaker 1: For the prepper tip of the day.
Speaker 6: Hello PBNers and our fellow listeners. This is Jay Ferg with Phoenix Survival and your prepper tip of the day. Do you ever not know what to do with that lint that's building up from your dryer? And instead of just throwing it away, did you know you can actually use it to make an amazing fire starter? Same goes with the shredded paper you have in that shredder. All of that is a reusable source that you can use to easily start a fire and keep it in your bag as a bomb starter or a fire starter, as we like to call it. This is a huge shout out and thank you to Melinda Lee because she actually taught me how to make these several years ago. So I'd like to pass this tip on to you. Now, what do you do? You can use something as simple as old broken crayons for you parents out there, old candles. or wax from like the, the wax burners with the excess that you don't know what to do with, that you pour back into the base. You can melt that down. You can pour it on that paper or on a cotton ball or that dryer lint and make them into a wax soaked, soaked fire starter. And it makes it so much easier. Now, the way Melinda Lee taught me was with taking old crayons, um, shredded paper and the little ketchup cups or condiment cups that you can get from mcdonald's so think about that and give it a try tell me what you think and for our listeners there is going to be a members only tutorial so i will show you exactly how to make these thank you folks and have a good day.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone out there in internet radio land this is dave jones the nbc guy boy i have a really fm voice going on here i don't know what's going on this morning It's very early. I'm up at the Jones Homestead very, very early. Some reason I woke up an hour and a half early. Could not sleep, so I'm getting ready to go to school. And I thought I'd do a proper tip of the day. The other day I did how to detect fallout without a radiac meter. There is also plans online that you can build like a dosimeter. out of a mason jar. It's from back in the 1950s, but it still works. Physics hasn't changed, so if you want to Google that, you can Google that. And it detects ionizing radiation, which is exactly what a dosimeter detects. So you can detect... I don't think you'll be able to detect how much radiation, but you'll be able to detect if you're getting radiation. So that's not the tip, though. I get off on too many tips here. You're getting extra tips today. The tip today is what to put in your Faraday cage. Okay? In my presentations, I tell you how to build a Faraday cage out of a garbage can, a galvanized steel garbage can. So a Faraday cage has to be a conductive material and inside, insulating material. Okay, so a galvanized steel can with foam rubber on the inside. Okay, and then sealed up with metal duct tape. You know, the metal duct tape, three or four inches, so you get a good overlap over the seals inside and out. And the tip, well, here's the tip. How do you test your Faraday cage? How do you test it? How do you know if it's going to work? Take an AM radio. Tune it to a talk radio station. Put it in the can. Seal it up like you would if all your stuff was in there. And if it goes to static, you know that it's not picking up a signal. Now that is a rough way to test your Faraday cage without getting thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but it will work. So there you go. I mean, know that a radio is designed to pick up a specific frequency, and they're broadcasting constant and steady at a certain wattage in your area. So it will protect against an EMP, So that's how you know if you've got a good Faraday cage. There's no holes. And that's my tip. That's my tip. I'll do another tip on what to put in because this tip is getting too long. It's three and a half minutes already. I like to try and keep them around two minutes. But that is the tip on how to test your Faraday cage. Take care and prep on. Have I got a tip for you. How about a BB gun? Yeah, a BB gun. See, I'm in the office squeaky chair. If you have a chance to get one of those pump action air rifles, okay, that shoots BBs or pellets. you should try and get one inexpensively. You can get them at yard sales and stuff like that, $ 10, but you've got to pump them up and see that they work. These things are powerful enough to kill small game. Very quiet, okay? Won't use up your ammo. You can get tons of BBs for pennies, and you can reuse them if you find them. So, why not? Why not? And, yeah, and it's a good thing to practice with. You know, side alignment, trigger control, not so much trajectory. So, PBN family, have a BB gun or two. They come in handy, and you never know when you might need one. So, take care. Prep on. PBN family, if you ever wondered how you can easily develop an emergency plan, all you have to do is ask yourself the question, what if?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And keep asking yourself that question until you've come up with a solution, you know, three or four times in the making. So what if we lose power? And I have no heat. Well, then I'll start heating with the wood stove. What if it snows 10 feet and I can't get to the wood? Well, then I'll go to the propane heater that I have. And what if I run out of propane? Well, then I have a small butane heater. supply and heater and I'll use that and what if do you see what I mean asking yourself the simple question what if what if I lose this knife or break it or you know whatever then you automatically start looking for your contingency and then develop that So the question of what if, what if, no matter what the situation is, what if the enemy comes up this way? If they come this way, what obstacles am I going to face? to put in the way to a slow them down be put them on their feet so they're not driving up and getting in my perimeter do you see what I mean by what if What if they're, you know, and you can answer your own questions. What if a hundred armed people show up at my house? Well, I'm hauling butt. I am getting out. I am only shooting if it's to try and escape quickly. I'm going to try and stealthily exfiltrate myself. from the situation. I am going to get out of Dodge. So what if? That's what you got to keep asking yourself. What if? And that is my prepper tip for the day. What if? Take care and prep on. hello everyone out there in internet radio land this is dave jones the nbc guy with your final prepper tip of the month preparedness month in september this is the the last one well i don't think it'll be the last one ever but It is the last one that I'm going to do for the month of September. You got more than 30 tips because one Friday night I forgot to forward post them. And you got like four or five tips in a row there. So PBN family, this is my final tip. And here it is. Secure your people now. Secure your people now. Figure out who you can count on, who you can't count on, and start introducing yourself and letting them know who you are and what you do and do it now. Because... Listen to my Freak Out Friday daily audio cache if you want to know why. But, you know, open to conversation, maybe like Marie and I did. We baked bread and we took it to the neighbors and we introduced ourselves. And everybody on the mountain here knows we're preppers, knows what our political leanings are. And half the people are for Trump. And half the people are not for Trump. And I don't know if that even changed. I don't know. Because, geez, it was COVID. COVID didn't put us away from each other. It just changed things. And we had a big party up on top of the mountain at the old man's place. That was the 4th of July celebration during COVID when they said don't get together report on your neighbors so what did the Jones family do we put up three canopies and cooked oh my gosh gyros shawarmas we did we put on like a catering for the neighborhood and we just said come listen to music have a good time enjoy the view, and then we set off fireworks. So you got to do that kind of stuff, PBN family. You got to get out of your comfort zone. You got to figure out right now who's in your block, who's in your cul-de-sac, who's on your mountain that you can count on, and you got to let them in. You got to say, hey, this is my plan. And I had a neighbor say, well, I'm not getting a generator. I'm just going to come over to your house. And the look I gave him, I think he realized that was the wrong answer. And about two months later, he got his own generator. Just saying. Just saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You got to put yourself out there. You're going to be the leader whether you want to or not. So why not make the contacts now before you have the stress of SHTF on you and you're trying to make those contacts with that in the background. That is my prepper tip of the day and you take care. And always, always, always prep.
Speaker 1: On.
Speaker 7: Our bodies aren't weak, PBN family. It's our minds. Our bodies aren't weak. It's our minds. The body adapts. To whatever you put in front of it. You have to understand that... What I have to understand about you.
Speaker 1: Is that....
Speaker 7: Whatever fitness... You inherit... Whatever inspiration you find... Whatever gets the blood pumping... The body moving... Is yours... And it's your fitness... Now I can do our prep or fit and health... And I can introduce you to my version of fitness... But what I really want you to guard against is your mind... Is your mind telling you you can't... Your mind telling you you're weak... Your mind telling you it's impossible... Because what I've come to realize over all these years... And you gotta remember I came from nothing in terms of physicality... When I started running the track... At 17 years old or whatever it was. 18. I was coming from zero fitness. I mean zero. Failing gym fitness. You know what I mean? Purposeful laziness. And my body learned. And then it learned. And then it learned. And it got injured. And it learned. And it adapted. And it changed. And the whole time this was happening. My weak mind was always telling me to stop and always telling me to stop to this day. You know what I mean? My body recovered from illness, pretty bad illness for me. I'm still coughing, still hocking up nonsense, right? Still hocking up spiked protein, still hocking up mRNA. And, you know, I'm in this situation, man, where like, It's just ever clear now that the mind is the key.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: You have to defeat the mind. The mind will tell you the body isn't good enough. The body can't get it done. The body's too old.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: I'm going to leave you with this. Because it's not your body that's weak. It's your mind. And you have to conquer the mind and the body will adapt. And also, if the body has adapted to your homesteading routine, to your Whatever your walks at night. Whatever your fitness is. Listen. I listen to Marvel comics when I work out. I listen to Warhammer stories when I work out. Right? There is no shame in inspiration. There is no shame in where you draw your fitness from. Understand that. You know what I mean? It doesn't have to be throwing kettlebells around. It doesn't have to be hitting a heavy bag. These are just things I like to do because I'm playing pretend. Don't you get it? My buddy told me years ago, he said, when you bench press, you think you're Goku pushing away an energy ball. And I laughed about it. But he knew he was right and I knew he was right. So there's no shame in it, dude. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But....
Speaker 7: My girl Lola, my oldest girl, my oldest dog, she's 15 years old. She threw her hip out the other night. We thought it was over. We thought it was over. We said, well, she can't walk. She's 15. And you know what? The more she walks, the better she's walking. You know why? Because her brain is super tough. Her brain doesn't have all this human in it telling her she can't. She just wants to go, and she goes. And every day now, she's getting stronger again. She's figuring out how to deal with this body that she has, and she's back walking again. And I'm telling you, PBN family, the mind is weak, not the body. I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, PBN family, this is a tip, a tip, a prepper tip of the day. I don't have the tip music, but, you know, a tip's a tip. So I got this from listening to James last night, and he had a shooter on, a competitive shooter. This is an easy way to determine if you're proficient, okay? No bullets required. If you are looking at your weapon to load, unload, change magazines, draw, do anything, you are not proficient. You have to be able to do things without looking, with your eyes closed in the complete darkness. This comes from a background of police training when I was a state trooper. We did it. So you didn't do anything with your dominant hand, with your drawing hand. Okay? This is the next level up. If you can do everything you do without looking, without looking at it or looking down, if you look down, you're dead. Even if you can't return fire, you can react to whatever that bad guy's doing if you're looking at him. If you're not looking at him... He can do whatever he wants and you won't see it coming. So you have to do it without looking. Next, you have to do it one-handed. And next, after that, you have to do it with your weak hand. Okay? So that is a way that you can determine your level of preparedness without even firing a bullet. That is the prepper tip of the day. Take care and prep on.
Speaker 1: Pbn family it's time for the prepper tip of the day.
Speaker 7: Pbn family today's prepper tip is brought to you by pack fresh usa everything i'm about to talk about you can can be had at packfreshusa.com our great sponsor check them out we're talking food storage Perhaps my favorite prepping topic in all of prepping lore and yore and so on. Five gallon buckets, oxygen absorbers, mylar bags. My first go round, I did something by mistake that I've done from then on. I ordered one gallon mylar bags instead of five gallon mylar bags. And I said to myself, oh. I screwed up prepping again... Imagine that. Imagine that... I made another mistake... Doing this prepping thing.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 7: I remember it like yesterday... The buckets were white... The pinto beans... The black beans... And the rice... Were what I had... Purchased in bulk... From Sam's Club... And I was... You know... That's what I was into... That's what I was doing.
Speaker 1: And... I.
Speaker 7: Realized that... Storing food in one gallon bag... If you're going to actually use the food storage, storing food in a one-gallon bag, you can fit about three one-gallon bags into a five-gallon bucket. So you might be thinking to yourself, well, I'm not getting the efficiency out of the bucket. Hang on a minute. I take a rice, I take a black bean, I take a pinto bean, I stuff them into a bucket. One mylar bag, one gallon of rice, one mylar bag of Black beans, one miler bag of pinto beans, right? Into the bucket. Now, for stockpiling long-term of foods, like a food storage stockpile that you're never going to touch, I wouldn't do it this way. But that's not how I do business. What I don't have to do, because I do it this way, is I don't have to get more than one bucket to make rice and beans. I don't have to get multitudes of buckets... To pool ingredients. Right. I do a. Two flour one sugar bucket. The same way.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: I do two. One gallon bags of flour. And one one gallon bag of sugar. And it gives you the ability to. Add variety to the bucket. So when you pull the bucket down. When you bring the bucket out. You can do more than one thing out of it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: In fact, I've done buckets in the past that have been one gallon sugar, one gallon flour, one gallon Bisquick. And, you know, you can almost make dinner out of that bucket with a few added ingredients. You know what I mean? If you know what you're doing. But that's the way that I pack five gallon buckets. I have very few. I've never made a five gallon bucket with a five gallon Mylar bag in it. I've bought things that are filled that way. But I don't buy a lot of food storage. I make the vast majority of our food storage. So, you know, if you want to get into rotating your food storage and you're thinking to yourself, what a pain it would be if I need flour and sugar and macaroni and, you know, whatever else. I got to grab four different buckets, pool ingredients out of these four different buckets, you know, And that's not the only way to do it. You could also take food out of the Mylar bags and store them in containers in your pantry and then seal the Mylar back up. I'm just telling you my quick prepper tip of the day. Try one gallon Mylar bags. You can also get them like lots of them for cheaper than the five gallon. That's probably why I got them. Maybe it wasn't even a mistake. Maybe it was a budgetary thing. But anyway, I don't know how much cheaper they are now. But every penny counts anymore these days because, you know, you can't even eat a Big Mac without taking out a loan. But think about it. Give the one-gallon Mylar bags a try. Put items in the bucket that make sense. Put items in the bucket that make a meal. You know, you could, in theory, craft buckets that are almost meals. I haven't gone that far, but that would be a pretty cool thing to figure. You know what I mean? All right. That is the Prepper Tip of the Day, folks. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: PBN Family, it's time.
Speaker 1: For the Prepper Tip of the Day.
Speaker 7: PBN Family, today's tip is brought to you by LimaTangoSurvival.com. Check them out for the best backpacks, pre-made, pre-built, bug-out bags, go-bags, whatever you want to call it bag on the market. limatangosurvival.com. Give them a shot. I want to talk off-body CCW today because it really is one of the preps that I talk about from time to time, but it really has made gun ownership and concealed carry fundamentally viable for me. I don't know that it would work for me in the way that I want it to work if I didn't carry off-body sometimes. I don't know how many people carry off-body. And what I mean by that is just. Not on your... Not on a holster on your body. You know, there's crossbody packs. There's backpacks. There's... You know, fanny packs. There's... I use sling bags almost exclusively. They're my favorite for day-to-day stuff. If I'm... And the sling bag for me is... More than just a concealed carry option.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 7: It's... It gives you the ability... to... Well, it gives you all kinds of abilities. I mean, it gives you the ability to not have a gun on your person should you need to go to a place where, you know, you can't go with a gun. For me, that's school almost every day. Right? Now, truth be told, I could wander onto the schoolyard with the gun on my hip. No one would be... None the wiser, right? Alarm's not going to go off. Nobody's going to get hurt. It's a non-issue, right? But, you know... to follow the rules to do the right thing to show your kids that you're doing the right thing and that kind of stuff having a concealed carry weapon carried off body is uh it's an easy way to sort of shift in and out of those kind of scenarios right maybe you go to a workplace maybe you go to this that the other thing whatever it is um and you don't want to have the gun on your purse the reason that i think off body concealed carry is such a big difference maker Is because we err on the side of comfort and convenience. That's what the human animal does. And I feel like people leave a gun. I feel like people say, I'll carry the gun after work. I'll carry the gun once I get home and get all this done. I'll carry, you know what I mean? Off-body concealed carry is also great when you are not wearing as many clothes. So if you're doing a thing like one of the most common ways I off-body concealed carry is fishing. Like I don't want to walk around. I don't want to get my gun wet. Sometimes I'm waist deep in water fishing. You know, I don't want to have my gun underwater, all that kind of stuff. I put it in the sling bag. I can take my shirt off if it's a hot day. I don't have some gun tucked in my waistband. Not that, you know, I'm running into a bunch of people, but just the whole the whole thing off body. I can leave the bag. If I'm going in a real deep hole, I can hold the bag up over my head and cross the river. I can, you know, all kinds of things. I don't have to cross the river with a handgun in my hand.
Speaker 1: You know, I.
Speaker 7: Try getting looks. It's not just about following rules. Sometimes it's about practicality. Sometimes it just gives you another option. You should have a bag. You should have some way of carrying your firearm off body to give you that sort of flexibility. Do you know what I mean? Which it will. If it turns into you carrying the gun more often, then it's a win.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: If it turns into you carrying the weapon more often, more regularly, you're more regularly armed and protected, then it's a win.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: The only other part of that tip is... You've got to find a bag where your gun can fit safely. It doesn't have to be a special concealed carry compartment designed just for people to be able to carry their firearm in just this way, in just this special CCW secret hidden pocket. It's not really necessary, but you do need something along those lines. I carry mine in the back of a fishing bag, in a small pocket in a fishing bag right now, in a holster. And it's perfect, right? It's perfect. The bag is very easy to get to. Or the gun, rather, is very easy to get to. The sling bag shifts from the back of my body to the front of my body. Boom. Got access just a zipper away. And obviously you've got to practice, right? You've got to practice taking that gun out from that pocket so that you're proficient with it. Get yourself an off-body concealed carry option, okay, folks? I think that's important. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: PBN Family, it's time for the Prepper Tip of the Day.
Speaker 7: PBN Family, today's Prepper Tip is brought to you by the Prepper's Medical Handbook. Go to Amazon.com, order the Prepper's Medical Handbook, or go to our membership website, pbnfamily.com, and click the Build Your Medical Cash in the nav bar. Get the Prepper's Medical Handbook there and everything over the counter that's in that book. So you have everything you need for your medical readiness. Today's Prepper tip is all about a real interesting one. Hip waders. Hip waders. Most of my life I spent in the fall time in hip waders. Sometimes in the springtime when the water was cold. Fly fishing. So I always had hip waders, and this is the reason I always had hip waders. But what I found in emergency preparedness, the year of the flood here, 2025, is that hip waders do a hell of a good job when you're dealing with issues with high water. You know what I mean? The water reaches a point where you have to retrieve something. Maybe the water has risen to an area that you weren't expecting, and you've got to go fix something. You know, we had a fence washed out one time from rising water. And flood water is gross. Flood water is nasty. Flood water does all kinds of things. You know, it really does. One time I had to run into the flood water the same year that the fence broke. Really the worst flood we've ever had. And I had to run into the flood water because my dog was swimming out of the yard. So I went out there. I ran into... One of those floating... Groups of ants. Like one of them floating like... I don't know if you know when an ant's nest... Gets flooded out. They'll like gather together and float together to restart. And I got eaten alive by these ants. It was terrible.
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 7: Hip waders... Gives you the ability... To go... Trudge through some stuff that really sucks... And, you know, you can tie your shoes up and hang them over your neck, put them in your backpack, even if they're your hiking boots and they're waterproof. Like, just because your boots are waterproof doesn't mean you want to get them soaked, right? But hip waders, when you're dealing with high water, particularly at home or maybe even camping or something along those lines, they give you the ability to create a barrier between you and that flood water for whatever kind of stuff you have to deal with outside.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: And they've been invaluable to me. When the waters rise. And there's things. Oh I got to go grab that thing. Or oh the water is coming up here. Or oh the chickens. The chickens are in the back of the yard. Their coop is going under. I'm going to move it. You know what I mean. And rather than run back there. And stand in running water. Or standing water or whatever. You throw the hip waders on. You go out there into that water. And do the thing that needs to be done. And yeah. They're affordable. They're a great option. And then you know. When trout season comes, you can put them on and go fish the mountains in the wintertime and fly fish like some magical fly fisherman in the highlands. Hip waders. Think about it. Talk to you soon, folks.
Speaker 1: Your get-home bag or your get-home kit.
Speaker 7: Should mirror the distance. It should look a lot like the distance. It should be there to accommodate the distance and the terrain that you have to cover. You see a get-home bag, or you hear the word get-home bag, which is a popular term in the prepper world, and automatically you assume, like any rational person would, oh, I need a bag. I need a bag full of stuff because I'm making a get-home bag. But what I came to realize, I don't know, nine, eight, nine years ago, something like that now, is a get-home bag is a hindrance. For where I was working, the terrain I'd have to cover to get home, the things I actually would need, right? In other words, if you have a get-home bag with a folding saw in it, and you're traversing, you know, suburban, urban sprawl for 10 miles. On foot, this is your get home, you know, operation, leave the saw, right? The folding saw is not going to serve you. You're not going to be building a shelter. You're not going to be cutting firewood, pardon me, in order to execute on your get home operation. The goal is very straightforward with a get home kit or a get home bag. Unlike a bug out bag that could be a little more you know, a little more. With the get-home kit or the get-home bag, you really are whittling down. You know, the bug-out bag mentality always seems like pile as much stuff in a bag as possible. And a lot of that has to do with the God's honest truth that, you know, people make a lot of money selling bug-out bags, whether or not they work or not. The get-home kit, the get-home bag, is about you, it's about your distance, and your terrain, okay, so, so where are you going, how are you getting there, and so, if you're under 20 miles, the least amount of gear you can carry, the better, you know, if you're under 20 miles, and you, you know, you're not traversing some kind of crazy, like, you're not, you don't have to avoid the highways and go through marsh or something crazy like that but if you're covering you know like a lot of people are urban suburban terrain god sorry i'm laughing because i my my vehicle right has a has a uh a magnet in it that causes trains to come no matter where i go if i'm near a train track then the train will be like sucked into my presence So keep that in mind, folks. That is my prepper tip of the day. Your get-home bag or your get-home kit probably doesn't have to be as big as it is. If you're thinking it over right now, it could be. What it probably should be is a get-home pouch with a change of shoes. If you have an EDC that carries a lot of the fundamentals, then you probably have a get-home pouch. or even a get-home water bottle with a change of shoes. Really. In most cases, you're in a situation where for some reason you can't use the vehicle, but you have to get home, or there's some kind of impediments to the vehicle on the road, disaster, emergency, whatever, natural disaster. Your get-home kit shouldn't be a mountaineering framed backpack. Filled with sternos for cooking meals. Mountain house meals. Because all you're going to do is overburden yourself. And really probably... The most important thing.
Speaker 2: Well, no.
Speaker 7: The most important thing. Not even a probably. The most important thing with your get-home operation is speed. Right? You have decided that what I have to do is get home. And I have to use whatever I've stored to get home. Well, now it's a matter of speed. How do I get there as quickly as possible to take care of what I need to take care of? How do I get back to survival headquarters in the ASAP and... what do I really need for that operation? Talk to you guys soon. Oh, and don't forget to visit pbnfamily.com, right? We do the podcasts, but we also have a membership site where you get videos that are more like this, more reduced down to prepping, less yapping, more prepping. And we got videos, we got, you know, documentation, we got group meetups, we have all kinds of plans and And video series on specific topics like blacksmithing, like cooking from scratch, self-defense, entrepreneurship, bushcraft, fitness and health. Check it out. PBNFamily.com. Become a member today. You can do it for five bucks a month. All right.
Speaker 1: See you.
Speaker 4: PBN Family.
Speaker 1: It's time for the prepper tip of the day.
Speaker 8: Hey everybody, this is Carl B. from The Strange Truth, and I'm just dropping my prepper tip for the day, right?
Speaker 2: Rat traps!
Speaker 8: If this has not yet been covered, okay? I just realized, and I know how important rat traps are, but we had a little incident over the Christmas, the celebrations where one of our windows was open because we had to run all those cords out to light up the porch. And, you know, a couple field mice got in. We've never had a problem with mice before. It's the first time, really. And a couple field mice got in, and man, it was a rain of terror for a while. You know, they got into, you know, the rice that I had and stuff like that. And we ended up throwing, you know, probably about 20 pounds of rice, you know. So eventually I had to go and, you know, and get some proper rat traps. I had stuff like that I would put out like in the outside sheds and stuff like that. But for the house, you know, you can't put you can't put anything that's, you know, like poison or whatever.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 8: So I just bought some rat traps.
Speaker 2: And you know what?
Speaker 8: Actually used cheese and it.
Speaker 2: Worked like a charm.
Speaker 8: So it's, it's not, uh, uh, you know, it's not a, it's, it's, it's, it's not a myth or, or, or, or an old wives tale or whatever they want to call it.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Uh, you know, cheese really does work. And, um, so we use the cheese or we set a couple of traps and bam, bam, bam, you know, there were two running around and we caught them. And since then, hey, we're good. But if you are looking to store food and especially, you know, in a grid down situation, right, where you can't get to the store and if you don't have some proper traps to take care of pests like that, then you might find yourself in a lot of problems. Because it was interesting to me that they didn't go for like any of the sweet stuff. They went for the rice or grain, you know, like when they're out. side i think that's what that's what they eat for the most part you know like grains and stuff like that so they went directly for the rice so that's my proper tip of the day.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know what a zombie is when a person dies and is buried seems a certain voodoo priest who will have the power to bring him back to life it's worse than horrible because a zombie has no will of his own You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they.
Speaker 4: Do, not caring. You mean like Democrats? PPN Family, it's time.
Speaker 1: For the prepper tip of the day.
Speaker 7: Talking water today folks talking uh water sanitization we don't purify water okay most of the time most people aren't making plans to purify water you're making plans to sanitize water you're making plans to make it so that the water you drink uh won't kill you right the parasites the pathogens and so on within the water uh sanitization the sanitization process whatever you use we're going to talk about one of them here um It's designed to kill everything in the water that could harm you potentially. Microorganisms, right? What I want to talk to you about and the method that I want to drill into your head today is... It's the 6-8-8-6 rule.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: Say it with me, class. The 6-8-8-6 rule. Looking at purifying, sanitizing... Water with bleach, looking over the process and how it's done, you know, bleach is cheap, it's easy, it's something you should definitely store. I'm still one of those, you know, planet-hating people who cleans with bleach, right?
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 7: But looking over how to really sanitize water with bleach, I saw a pattern, and the pattern became the 6-8-8-6 rule, and I want you to burn it into your brain so that you don't even have to think about it. You don't even have to think about it. You tape an eyedropper to your bleach bottle or put an eyedropper somewhere you know where it is. And what you're going to do with the 6-8-8-6 rule is pretty simple. You come across 6% bleach. You're going to put 8 drops of 6% bleach into a gallon of water. Shake it up, wait 30 minutes. The water is sanitized. Has nothing to do with filtration and so on, right? You could put it through a coffee filter if you wanted to get sediment and things like that out of it to make it a little more palatable. Or if you had some kind of better filter, hopefully you have a better filter. I'm a huge proponent of the pressurized jerry can by Hydro Blue. I think it is the best larger scale water filter out there to really actually meet your water needs in a crisis, you know, so that you're not pumping water by hand for 40 minutes at a time or whatever um i think it's a really great really great water filter that first stage filtration process is one thing but the sanitization process is much more important that kills off the harmful bacteria the pathogens and so forth the parasites six eight eight six six drops of eight percent bleach will sanitize one gallon of water. That's the 6-8-8-6. You guessed it. Eight drops of 6% bleach will sanitize one gallon of water. Okay, so the 6-8-8-6 rule. You may not be tuned in on your bleach buying because I sure as hell am not. You know what I look for when I buy bleach? Price and unscented. That's where I'm going. I want unscented bleach and I want a reasonable price. I don't sit there and, is it 8%?
Speaker 1: Is it 6%?
Speaker 7: What percentage is it? I don't care. I'm here to buy bleach. I wanted to bleach things. So if you're like me and you have bleach, then what you're going to think to yourself is, all right, I got 6% bleach. How much do I got to add? The 6-8-8-6 rule, PBN family. Thanks for everything, folks. I hope you're enjoying these prepper tips of the day. Don't forget, man. Visit pbnfamily.com, become a member, support the podcast network. These things don't happen by mistake, okay? We are a business, and your support goes a long way. Thanks for everything, folks. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Today is all about storing more baking soda.
Speaker 7: The prepper tip of the day is about storing more baking soda because baking soda does everything. It's dirt cheap, really. I mean, it's really amazing just how affordable it is to store a lot of baking soda, five-gallon buckets, whatever you want to do. I thought we'd talk a little bit about the things that you can do with baking soda today to sort of drive home the fact that this, you know, I mean, aside from that actual baking, what I first got into learning about baking soda and the power of baking soda was all about personal hygiene. It was all about, I started understanding like you can make things like deodorant from baking soda, right? It's as simple as mixing one part baking soda to six parts cornstarch. Or even arrowroot powder. You can put essential oils in that if you want it to have a scent. What really got me going about it, you can make toothpaste. A lot of times the base for the toothpaste is baking soda, coconut oil. You make a paste from that. You can flavor it with essential oils if you want. You can add salt to it. Dry shampoo, body scrub, mouthwash. You can make a really good mouthwash with baking soda and some mint essential oils. You can make a foot soak, right? You can make, and that's nothing. That's like two tablespoons of baking soda in a basin of warm water, right?
Speaker 2: Easy.
Speaker 7: Hand cleanser, right? All kinds of stuff from a personal hygiene standpoint. This list right here that I'm reading you was a big driver behind why I said we need to store more baking soda. Otherwise, you're thinking, we got to store extra toothpaste. We got to store extra mouthwash. We got to store extra shampoo. We got to store extra this. We got to store extra that, right? If you learn to make soap and have baking soda, you learn the process of soponification, and you have baking soda at large, I mean, a lot of your personal hygiene problems are going to go out the door. Maybe you store a little surplus of coconut oil to help with both processes, right? But I'm telling you right now, And we're not even talking about cleaning. All-purpose cleaners, right? Cleaning carpets, cleaning drains, cleaning ovens, boosting your dwindling laundry cleaner, right, in an emergency. You can clean the grout between your tiles. Obviously, deodorize the fridge. We've been doing that forever. You can use it to polish. I don't know how much polishing of silverware and jewelry you're going to do, but you never know, right? Maybe you've got some dingy silver coins you want to use. You want to sell? So it's a quick and easy tip, guys. That's what I'm after, okay? That's what I'm after. Store more baking soda. You don't have enough baking soda. Store more baking soda because it solves all kinds of problems for you. And it's one of those things that, like I said, right now and normally, it's dirt cheap. Not to mention you can bake a bunch of stuff with it, right? But it's dirt cheap, easy to get your hands on, easy to store. In fact, if you buy it in bulk at like a Sam's Club, you can get it in an orange Ziploc bag, a large fortified, like a really strong Ziploc. Great way to store it. Get it while you can. That's it. Buy the baking soda, your prepper tip of the day. And you know what? One bonus tip, make the stuff. It's enough to have it, but it's even better to make some baking soda-based mouthwash or See how it works. Make some baking soda and coconut oil toothpaste and see how it works. You don't want too many firsts, right? You don't want too many firsts in an emergency. We got to quote Dave Jones, the NBC guy. Thank you guys so much for the support. Hey, visit pbnfamily.com. You could become a member for $ 5 a month. Did you know that? Did you know you can support PBN and get access to amazing preparedness content for $ 5 a month?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Think it over. I'd love to see you on the members' side. Talk soon.
Speaker 2: Well, hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. And for my last, my final tip, get your Prepper Camp tickets. No, I'm joking, but I'm not joking, okay? Because I'm recording this the day before we're leaving for Prepper Camp. So I'm getting all my tips in. So, you know, the internet at Prepper Camp has been iffy over the years. And I don't want to have to take time to do the tips. So I'm doing them before I go and pre-posting them. So my tip is get your tickets to Prepper Camp. No, I'm joking. But you could probably count that as a tip. I mean, here's the thing. It's super well worth it. You can't go wrong. Like James said, if you even go for one day you will be filled with information and your batteries will be recharged. I describe it as being exhilarating and exhausting all at the same time. There's really nothing like it. It's pretty amazing. But you'll hear all about Prepper Camp because we're going to be recording stuff all through Prepper Camp. Here is my tip. Create An infirmary.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Create an infirmary. Have a place in your house where you know you're going to put sick people. Okay? Ours is in our basement. We have a half-finished basement and there's a half-bath down there. And my daughter has, you know, she had a little twin bed growing up with drawers in it. So we put that down there, has a mattress, and it's right next to the bathroom. So if anybody's sick, they can go there. But more importantly, that's where we keep all our medical supplies. Everything that we accumulate medically, we have a spot for it. And if something happened, we could take someone there, take their vitals, they could rest. It's cool. in the summer. It's warm in the winter. So even if all the power was out and the heat was out, it would be a place that, you know, with a few blankets or something like that, it could be very functional. And it's away from everybody else's living area. So it's secluded and away. It can be a quarantine area. But have this place established. so that you don't have to think about it. You don't have to change something to make this happen. Say, this is where we're going to have the medical supplies. This is where we need to bring injured people, wounded people for treatment. So that's my final tip. I hope you had a great 30 days of Prepper Tips. And thanks for the emails. I really appreciate it. Take care and prep on. Hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. And I'm pretty sure I've talked about this before. I may be a tip. It may not be a tip. But have you a roll or two of caution tape? Caution tape on hand. You never know when you're going to be able to block off an area with just a piece of plastic tape. I'll tell you, part of our plan is to block off our driveway. I have biohazard signs. I'm going to put whatever the latest virus is on there and a date. And I'm going to block off the driveway with some logs. And with that caution tape and the biohazard sign, if anybody comes past that, well, then they're crazy, okay? You know, I'm going to put Ebola, Zika, whatever, whatever the virus is of the day. I would have put COVID back then, but, you know, COVID ain't anything anymore. I might even put anthrax. Who knows? You know, anthrax. And here, this goes along with it. know the FEMA designation that they've developed after Katrina to paint on the side of your house what's in there. If you do that, people will know FEMA's already been through this house and put dead bodies on there because one quadrant is a dead body, another quadrant's the date. But know that, Google that, that they paint in red spray paint on the side of houses. If you want to throw people off, you know, it goes along with the caution tape. If you want people to avoid your house or an area, put some caution tape up there. It's little, it's inexpensive, and you should have some on hand. You never know when that will come in handy. And maybe some red spray paint. There you go. That is my prepper tip for the day. Take care and prep on. You need to have some mad money. Mad money on hand. And what I mean by mad money is some money tucked back in your wallet somewhere, maybe behind your driver's license or an ID card, tucked way back in a hidden spot in your wallet, can be a couple 20s, can be a couple 50s, maybe a C-note. It's up to you how much mad money you want to have on hand. But this money is for emergencies when you don't have cash. and you can't get cash. Do you understand? It's called mad money because back in the day, when there were cabs, if a girl went out on a date with a guy and she didn't like him or he was being too forward, she could get out of the car, go get a cab, and had money in her purse, her wallet, that she could get a cab and go home. So you need to have some mad money on hand because you never know when that incredible emergency is going to strike. Now, you know, are you going to carry $ 100, you know, $ 100 bill? Well, maybe, but how are you going to break that? Are you going to tear it in half? Although I did that one time. Long story. I tore it in half and said, look, if we have a good time by the end of the night, I'll give you the other half. And the waitress kept the drinks coming. So... Just saying, it's a technique. I'll tell you, it was actually a 20 I did this to. And this was back in the day when $ 20 was worth, you know, $ 15. Now it's not worth $ 10. But have some mad money on hand. You never know when that emergency will hit. Take care and prep on. This prepper tip is one I know I said before. So look into an ozonator. Do your own research. Ozonators produce ozone, which purifies air, water. 70% of the bottled water that you drink is purified by ozonating it. It's quick, it's easy, it does require electricity, but an ozonator can do so much more than just purify water. It can sanitize a room. If you put ozone in a closed room, It will kill the viruses and bacteria in that room. Smells, it takes smells out. If you're processing game or something like that, meat, you can put in some water and ozonate the meat to sterilize the outside to make sure that there's no salmonella or anything on that. So an ozonator... They're around $ 100. They're an inexpensive prep that can do a lot of different things. And look into it. You may think, nah, I'm just going to boil it. I'm boiling it. I'm done. That's it. I'm boiling it. But I like to have different methods so that I can do different things with, you know, different stuff.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Look into an ozonator. That is my prepper tip for the day. Ozonate. Take care and prep on. Well, hello, hello, hello out there in internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, and I have another prepper tip for you today. And it kind of goes along with the compass. So here's what the prepper tip is. Know your pace count. Okay? What is a pace count? That's how many steps you take to make it 100 meters. So if you have a topographical map, you'll be able to tell how far you've walked into the woods by the number of steps. So let's say we can use my pace count. It's 122. 122. for every 120, now in rough terrain, your pace count would get more, okay? So this is flat level measured. You can go to a track and march it off, you know, a football field, a track, 100 meters, count the steps, and that is your pace count. Now when you're going through the brush and the briars and snow, any kind of terrain like that, you have to increase the number of paces to get the same. Do not think that every 120 is going to cut it because you're going to be taking more steps so you don't fall over things. And then have a little piece of parachute cord You might see this, you know, on some movies or stuff like that. A little piece of parachute cord to tie a knot every 100 meters. So as many knots as you've tied in that little piece of cord, that's how far you've gone. And, you know, that way you can keep track of the distance you travel in the woods with your map along an azimuth, if you know how to use a compass. So you shoot an azimuth, you go into the woods, you know how far you've gone, so you can pinpoint your location, you know, pretty well on the map because you went on that direction, that azimuth with your compass. So know what your pace count is and do this now on the flat, on the level, no rain, so that you can determine over rough terrain, what your pace count would be. That's my prepper tip for the day. Pace count. Take care and prep on. Hello, everyone out there in Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, coming to you with the prepper tip of the day, and that is have a compass. You need to have at least one compass per bug-out bag. And everybody in your group needs to know how to use a compass. Okay? I highly recommend the Prepper Survival Navigation book. It was written by G-Man. He boils down and distills military land navigation in an easy-to-understand manner. manual that you could put right in your backpack and take it with you and practice anywhere you go. Terrain associate, but have a compass and know how to use it. At least one. When I was in the army, I carried more than one compass just in case my main compass got broke. This is before GPS and And if you believe in EMP and the SHTF and all that kind of stuff, a compass will work when GPS is down. A compass still works as long as the Earth has a magnetic field. So I can't recommend this enough. Get you that book. It's like $ 15. It'll probably be the best land nav book you ever purchased. Easy to understand. and get at least one compass per bug-out bag per person. That's my prepper tip for the day, a compass. Take care, and prep on.
Speaker 4: Let's get to the tip, which today we're.
Speaker 1: Going to talk about a solar-powered compass.
Speaker 7: Owl that we call Mr. Okaks. If you keep chickens, if you keep quail, if you keep anything along those lines, then you know that predation is a thing, right? Predators are real. They are a problem. I have had massacres in my backyard, absolute massacres. And they're always watching. One thing about predators you have to know, they're always watching. They are waiting for the night that you slip up, the night that you forget to lock up, the night that you forget to put that bungee cord on, lock that fence, whatever it is that you do every night. So many times it's been that one night for me where they've gotten me. One of the techniques, one of the things that we employed years ago was a an owl essentially like a scarecrow type owl garden owl that sits in the chicken coop on a post and And this owl in particular is solar powered and its eyes light up at dusk. And they stay on throughout the night. And we've never had an issue when Mr. Okax is up. Now, Mr. Okax, sometimes, this is what we call him. Some of you may know the reference. Very few. But I don't know. You might know that. Who knows? We read a book when my son, my oldest, was in elementary school called Poppy. The school sent it home and it said, read Poppy. Actually, I think it might have been during COVID. And it was in a signed book. So we read it together at nighttime before bed.
Speaker 4: And Mr.
Speaker 7: Okax was the antagonist. He was essentially the owl who was eating all the field mice in the family. Poppy was about a field mouse. So we called it Mr. Okax.
Speaker 1: And Mr.
Speaker 7: Okax sits up on his perch and is powered by the sun. And his lights come on at night. And it gives predators, at least in our area, just enough pause to say... I don't know if I want to go meet Mr.
Speaker 1: Okax.
Speaker 7: Now, we also move it, you know, we move it from time to time because you got to make things, you got to switch things up or the predators will get used to it and they'll get a little closer and get a little closer and then they'll realize.
Speaker 6: Oh, Mr.
Speaker 7: Okax is fake. So that's my prepper tip for the day, folks. Get yourself one of these owls that you can stick in your yard somewhere, whatever you're protecting. They work in the garden too. But somewhere you need to protect things. I think Mr. Okak's... Don't search it up that way. It's just an owl with solar-powered eyes. LED lights for eyes. I'll link to it down in the description. I think that this is... Well, this has been one of the most effective ways of deterring predators that we've used.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: And we see a difference when he's up, you know, compared to when we're replacing him or when he breaks or something along those lines.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 7: Give it a whirl. Protect them yard birds. Keep those eggs flowing and meat birds. Keep them nice and plump. That is a huge part of self-reliance and independence, all right? And don't forget to visit pbnfamily.com to become a member at the Prepper Broadcasting Network. Get a whole host of goodies on the other side of that membership. pbnfamily.com. Talk to you soon. Today's prepper tip. Simple, but not easy. Plan your next prepping adventure. Plan your next prepping challenge. The moment you get off of this prepper tip, I want you to sit down and plan out your next prepper adventure or your next prepper challenge. I've done a lot of things over the years. Nothing has made me a better prepper the way that doing Gotham Get Out made me a better prepper. The way that doing Ration or Ruin has made me a better prepper. These are prepper challenges that we've done here at the Prepper Broadcasting Network. And I'm telling you right now, even if it's just a bug out operation, right? But do it. A get home operation. Throw a get home bag on your back. And walk home. Physically do it. Don't think about how it's going to work. Don't think about what you might need to add to make it work better hypothetically. Forget about hypothetically. We're trying to eliminate firsts. And look what really could go wrong. And what really works in the face. So you know it long before it ever really comes to fruition. It can be whatever you want. If you need help. Look back in the archives. At Ration and Ruin. Look at Azure Highland. Look at Gotham. Get out and see some of the things that you can do or maybe generate some ideas from the prepping challenges that we've done over the years.
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 7: So my prepper tip for the day, short and sweet, plan your next prepper challenge. If you're drawing a complete blank, you don't know where to start, I'll give you one more opportunity. Reach out to me. Go to the contact form at prepperbroadcasting.com and I'll give you some ideas.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: Put it to the test. Put your gear to the test. Put yourself to the test. And you'll come away with way more than just buying a new piece of gear. Talk to you soon, folks. Today's Prepper Tip is brought to you by DisasterCoffee.com. Go to DisasterCoffee.com and get the best coffee on the planet. Straight out of Temecula, California. Done by coffee lovers. Roasted in small batches and mailed directly to you. Disaster Coffee does not sit on a shelf in any warehouse, in any store. It's roasted and shipped to order. And you'll know it when you get it. And if you want a long-term storage option for coffee, buy Disaster Coffee's Bunker Beans. Bunker Green Beans. You can roast beans. And do what you will. So check them out. DisasterCoffee.com. I had many chicken feeders in my many days keeping chickens. We've been at it for 12 years now. Starting with the chick feeders, the little plastic chick feeders, moving to a larger feed system that seemed to be Just constantly filled with leaves and dirt every single day. Same thing with the water container. You know what we also had? We had the feeder that's hooked to the side of the chicken coop. And they'd jump inside of that thing and that thing would be a mess. What really changed the game was the rain-proof gravity feeder 5-gallon bucket attachment. Not only did this change the game because... Now I can put five gallons of food out at a time. And for six chickens, that's a lot. But again, rain, no problem, right? Where you place these fixtures on your fire, you take these fixtures, you use a circle saw and you basically drill out the like three or four places in the five gallon bucket where you want the chickens to be able to feed from. I do three spots on the five gallon bucket. It's plenty. It means at least half of my chickens are eating at the same time. These things are dirt cheap. They're less than $ 20. And they change the game. And the other thing, we deal with all kinds of moving and shaking overnight. Depending on where the food is. I don't keep the food in the coop or even in the run anymore because animals go in. Not even to kill the chickens, just to eat their food. So the... ability to grab a five gallon bucket by the handle, right? And throw it in the shed eliminates a lot of these interactions with predators and, and predation that potential predation that could happen with the chickens. So these little, like I said, circle saw screw in the, the fixture on the back and on the front, right? On any five gallon bucket and you're a prepper. So you've got five gallon buckets. I know you do got to have a lid, right? And your feed is protected. Your feed is protected from the rain and the weather. Your feed is protected, um, from pests and rodents if you store it in a different place overnight. And to me, it was the most effective, the most efficient way to feed chickens. I'll link to it down below if you want to get a peek at what it looks like. The kit that I used is the same kit I'm going to link to. It comes with the circle saw attachment for your power drill and, uh, Yeah, it'll take you about 15 minutes to build the most dynamic and effective chicken feeder possible. Thanks for everything, folks. I hope you enjoyed today's Prepper Tip of the Day.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone out there on Internet Radio Land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, with your prepper tip of the day. Now, I'm going to talk quickly so that you understand the tip and you can get on about your day. Your basic load, the amount of ammunition that you will carry with you. A U.S. Army infantryman carries 210 rounds. in 30-round magazines, you are not that guy, okay? My tip is you need enough ammunition to get someone's heads down and run away, run away, okay? So if you think about how much equipment and gear you can carry, think hard about the amount of ammunition you carry, okay? Because I'm telling you, three or four rounds well-placed will put everybody's heads down and you can run away. Trust me, when someone's shooting at you, you want to get underneath the grass. So they will not see you if you put a couple rounds, even if you shoot them straight up in the air. They hear the shots, you know, they're going to get down. So think about the amount of ammunition you absolutely positively need for whatever you're doing. And like I said, what you're doing, you should be running away. That's your prepper tip of the day. Take care and prep on. Along with your get-out bag, get-home bag, bug-out bag, this is something that you need to include and is often overlooked is... a paper and pencil, some kind of writing implement. If you want to leave a note for someone, if you want to draw a sketch, a map, you have to have something in your bag to do that. It's vitally important and often overlooked. So have a pen and paper, um, It's something durable and that you can write a note, maybe pass on something. Markers are good. If you have a plan to leave information, if you're not at your house and the plan is to get to your house, say, I will leave you a message in this closet. So on the inside of the closet, you may write, went to location one or something like that. So you have to have something to write with. It would be bad if you're getting down to, hey, I'll get this charcoal from the fire and write with that. Well, there's another tip. You can write with charcoal from the fire. You can also camouflage your face with. With the charcoal, the charcoal rubs on really good, okay, and washes off better than actual camo stick. So if you have nothing else, there are two tips in one. Use charcoal from your fire to rub on your face and your hands to blacken it out and cut the shine.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 2: PBN family, take care and prep on. Okay, make a list. Sit down right now. Make a list of 10 things that you can do when things get a little hairy. When your prep or sense is tingling. Because here's what happens. If you do something wrong. you eliminate stress. You need to eliminate stress to be able to think clearly. So action eliminates stress. Make a list of 10 things that you can do whenever, you know, they start saber rattling or you think something's going to happen, you know, or a hurricane is imminent, you know, things like that. Like, making sure all your rechargeable batteries are recharged. How about topping off your propane tanks? If you have propane, top them off. How about getting five more gallons of gas or filling up the gas cans that may be empty? Things that you can do to take action whenever, you know, things get a little hairy. This action will take your mind off the situation and get, you know, make you less stressed because you've actually done something to further your preparedness, maybe inventory your ammo, check your water, check, you know, your water supply, uh, maybe put up another five gallons of water. Oh, that's the warden. So that's my prepper tip for today. hello everyone out there in internet radio land this is dave jones the nbc guy i'm doing this on two separate cell phones so that's why it's a little wonky sometimes uh i play the music the intro on one cell phone and i'm recording on another but my prepper tip is where to find good deals shopping shopping for the prepper stuff right You know, the Intrepid Commander talks about thrift stores all the time, but I want to open it up. You know, garage sales, yeah, but estate sales, estate sales, you can find, and the reason this is top of mind for me, top of mind, I hate that term, but the reason, I just went to an estate sale yesterday, and I scored... A brand new Army flight suit.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: These are over... For $ 15. $ 15. These are overalls that are NOMACS, which is a flame retardant material. And they're overalls for $ 15. And it fit perfectly. You can find power tools... I mean... Hand tools, just anything, anything at estate sales. This is what people have accumulated over their lives. And these are the people that used to work with a saw that you used by hand or a hand drill. I actually picked up a hand drill at an estate sale. Now, how many people even know what a hand drill is? Okay, so estate sales, great place to shop, cheap, and it got the stuff that don't require electricity. So there you go. Prep on. Hello, everyone out there in internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. My prepper tip of the day is you must, must, must look into fasting. You must. It does so many good things for your body. It's not as hard as a workout. It's definitely not as hard as you think it is because what you're thinking is, you know, it's all mental. You're talking yourself out of it. We have been programmed to believe that we need to eat three meals a day and that is simply not true. Throughout history, you know, our ancestors ate one meal a day if they could. You know, maybe three, four times a week they ate something. It was not until this overwhelming prosperity hit us. And I'm pretty sure that that is where a lot of the sicknesses are coming from. That we just plain consume too much food. You know, it's like we're in a cage and just being force-fed food. try fasting so that you know more about your body, how it reacts and, um, get the health benefits from it. So my tip is look into fasting, make it part of your prepper year. Okay. As you plan out what you're going to do with your preps, you know, establishing a position and improve upon a daily plan that as part of your, uh, Plan for your prepper year. That's my prepper tip for the day. Take care and prep on. Dave Jones, the NBC guy, with your next prepper tip. And that is berries. Berries. Do not overlook berries. Here on the mountain, now you will have to, you know, for your area, you're going to have to figure out what grows wild.
Speaker 1: Easy.
Speaker 8: Easy.
Speaker 2: And for us, it's raspberries. They just go crazy. To a lesser extent, blueberries, they need a little more work. But raspberries, we can grow raspberries, elderberries, just without even trying. They're massively prolific here on the mountains. So figure out what grows natural in your area so that you can have a food source that you don't have to do anything and it will keep growing. And, you know, raspberries, uh, they, they give you a vitamin C antioxidants, um, all that kind of stuff. So find out what that plant is in your area. Uh, get some of it, uh, plant it, let it grow, let it multiply, cultivate it, harvest it, um, don't go against the grain, so to speak. If you have something that doesn't grow in your area, why knock yourself out? Get the things that do grow. It's always trading material. There's so many things you can do with blueberries. You can ferment them. You can distill them. I mean, and it makes great trading material. So that's my prepper tip Get the berries in your life. Take care and prep on. Testing. Yes, testing, testing. One, two, three. No, test yourself. Evaluate yourself. You know, if you put stuff on the shelf and say, I got that covered. No. Test and evaluate yourself, your plans, your equipment. Get it out there and use it. A simple test, and I think I mentioned this on another tip or somewhere, is... throw the electric main, throw the main switch coming into your electric panel for the weekend and just see what happens. Maybe for a day, you know, a small test. Or get that equipment out, unbox it, put it up, see how hard it is to assemble. You know, if you have a solar panel contraption or something like that, see how it hooks up, see what it generates. Stick a battery on there, see if it even produces electricity. What do you have to do to make the solar panel system work? So figure out little tests that you can do every so often to see if something works or if you can actually do what you think you can do. And then honestly evaluate it. Don't make it all sunshine and rainbows. Be honest about it. And you'll have a better evaluation of the do's and don't do's. The can's and can not's. You know, you got to know your limitations. Capabilities and limitations. That's what I always say. Know the capabilities and limitations first. of your equipment, and your people. So testing is very important. Figure out a test, conduct it, evaluate, and then adjust from there. Okay, that's my prepper tip. Take care and prep on. Hello everyone out there in internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. Here's my prepper tip for the day. Sharing. Share with other people that you have a prepper homestead lifestyle. You never know who you can bring into the fold. And I have an example. I talked with the secretary at the school I work at and they have a farm and and they are, you know, raising cattle. That's all they raise for themselves. But he works, she works, and they have a farm that they live on, so they, you know, have cattle. So they're already halfway there, and they're interested in, you know, what we do and how we do it. And every chance I get, I tell her, a little more about prepping. And I said, it only makes sense. And she said, yes. And we talked about COVID and how we were able to stay in our house for six weeks and not come out because we had everything we needed. So share it, you know, in your Work at church. A lot of people say, no, no, don't tell people what you got. I'm not saying tell people what you got. I'm saying the less people that aren't prepared, the less people will show up at your door.
Speaker 1: Wait. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's one less person that will show up at your door and need help. If they're prepping... If they're doing something like, she's raising cattle. I can't raise cattle. In a SHTF situation, I know where I can get some cattle. And I would trade. You know, it only makes sense. Prepperdom needs to expand, not contract. And it's contracting right now under Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: Gosh, you never know who's going to be interested. So share your prepping tips, tricks, and techniques. And you may have another person in your group. So take care and prep on. PBN, hello everyone out there in internet radio land. I just did the prepper tip on sharing. Not all these tips you're going to agree with, okay? And not all tips are created equal, so some tips are more valuable than others, but here's a really good one. Know where your water shutoff valve is. Know how to shut off the water coming into your house and the electricity coming into your house, okay? These are some things that you should know how to do because they say cold weather's coming, and if you have a broken pipe man, you sure don't want that situation. So know your water shut off, your electric shut off. Know how to shut off the things coming into your house. Now, if you don't, go out there and find it. Have that key handy. If you're on city water, there's a key, and you need to have that key, and that key needs to be in a particular place so that if anything happens, you could shut it. What if the water's contaminated? And, you know, they make this announcement, shut the water off going into your house, okay, until they figure out the contamination, and then turn it back on, let it flow. So you need to know where your water and electricity shutoff is. That's my prepper tip. Take care and prep on. what do you stockpile? What do you keep on hand? What do you have more of? Okay, so I'm just going to go down through a list just off the top of my head. And if you don't have these things, maybe you should look into them.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Mouse and rat traps. Rodents are going to be a problem in SHTF. And if you don't have a weight of take care of that problem. Mouse and rat traps. You got to have them. And you can also use them for booby traps.
Speaker 1: Salt.
Speaker 2: You need salt. You need tons of salt. You need pickling salt, salt to dry meat, uh, cure ham. Uh, you, you just need salt, different kinds of salt. Um, honey. If, if, uh, Honey can be used as an antibiotic. It can be used to make alcohol, you know, mead. Honey never goes bad. It never spoils. So honey, you should have honey. Of course, everybody knows that we stockpile our ammunition, but have like calibers and have calibers that are prolific. The 9mm is the most used ammo in the entire world. So if you stockpile any ammunition, 9mm. But make sure that you're... Weapons, you don't have one 9mm, one. 38, one. 357, whatever. Have them all 9mm. You'll at least have some bartering material. And of course, if you're putting up food, put up different types of food stored differently. You should have frozen food. By the way, frozen meat never goes bad. If you keep it frozen, it never goes bad. It just gets freezer burned. It may taste crappy, but it still has the nutrition and all that kind of stuff. So you should have frozen food. You should have canned food. You should have dried food. And you should have freeze-dried food. You know, just a myriad. And everything has a different use. It's like having different tools around. for the same thing you're going to eat but you you know dried something may be better than canned that thing and of course freeze-dried food lightest easiest to pack longest shelf life hardest and most expensive to get but you should have some of each of it and and currency right You should have a little, little cash. You just have some cash because there's going to be a time period where people are only taking cash. And then when that becomes useless, then you're going to have to barter. So after, you know, some cash on hand and then, you know, silver, gold, whatever. What a goldbacks. I love goldbacks. So this is just a litany. of things, what to stockpile. And if I think of a stockpile too, I'll do that. Take care and prep on. I tip a day every day for 30 days and somehow I missed the 8th of September. So I'm going to put this one up for the 8th. And it is things you should stockpile two or one. I'm going to do several of these stockpile things because I keep forgetting, you know, like Clorox. Okay, you should have a supply of Clorox. It does a myriad of things. Also, you know, decontaminates for nerve agent and purifies water. You can wipe things down if there's a virus. Alcohol, 70% or greater. There again, you need alcohol for all different types of things. Drugs. And latex gloves. You should have a pack or two of latex gloves. Get them cheap at Costco. I think $ 20 will get you like 1,600 gloves. You can use them for processing game or animals or pets. You know, any number of things, but gloves you should have. N95 masks, you can get them now. Don't wait till the pandemic starts. You need to have N95 masks on hand because they are the hospital standard. 95 or 100, you decide. Little things like this. And don't forget all your non-prescription masks. medicines, and you can get that list from PBN Family or Dr. Forgy's Prepper's Medical Handbook. It's awesome. So there you go, PBN Family. That is Stockpiling 2. Stockpiling 2 or 1. You'll see several stockpilings, okay? Take care and prep on. Hello, everyone out there in the Internet Radioland. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy. If I sound a little different, it's because my throat's got a horse. I was playing all kinds of games and yelling. We have at the school, you know, we do what they call retreat. Well, this year we didn't retreat to anywhere. We just played in the gym, and boy, it was something. But my prepper tip of the day is cash. Cash is king. At least that's what they say. You need to have some cash on hand. Massive power failures, solar storms, whatever. If you can't get to the ATM or use your card, cash is the only thing that will work. So you need to have some cash on hand. How much? Well, Dave Ramsey recommends $ 1, 000. He says most problems or emergencies that come up, you can handle cash. With $ 1, 000. And, you know, you may have to adjust that accordingly to inflation or to your income. You know, if you can't do $ 1, 000, do $ 100. You know, take $ 20 out a month. Five months, you'll have $ 100. And just work on it. Keep that cash. Emergency funds only. Not splurging. Not shopping. Keep it on hand. for when the lights go out. That's the prepper tip of the day.
Speaker 4: Cash.
Speaker 2: Take care and prep on. And your tip today is seeds. Seeds. That's right. Only use organic seeds. The normal, the vast majority of the seeds have been genetically modified to grow better, to resist bugs, um, They will not procreate. So the vast majority of the seeds that are out there will not benefit you in an SHTF situation. You can't harvest the tomato seeds and plant another tomato plant. They will not germinate. And another tip, two tips in one. How about that? Before you plant your seeds, sprout them. Put them in water overnight. It helps guarantee more success. So sprout them first. So look into seeds, organic seeds, heirloom seeds. Have a stockpile of those. You know, at least two seasons worth. of seeds on hand, two seasons, because what if one season doesn't do very good, and, and store them properly, seeds, that's your prepper tip for the day, take care, and prep on. Guy, and I'm gonna bestow upon you a technique, a tip, um, That really, really is part of my plan.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And it's called the mini bug out. The mini bug out is when you just can't... There's too many people at your front door. And you know that someone.
Speaker 1: Is going to die.
Speaker 2: And it most likely will be you or your family.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: The mini bug out is have a place already selected, a bug out location. Just don't go somewhere and do something. So the mini bug out, go to that place, set up, wait until you can reoccupy your house, okay? Because once they find everything that they want to find and take, you can go back. The thing is, you know where your resources are. You know where everything is and how everything works. A band of marauders are just looking for something to snatch and go to the next place. You may even want to set some things obviously out and hide the rest of your preps so that when they snatch it, They go. So the mini bug out, you know, maybe it's a park. Maybe it's just a wooded area, you know, with a stream. And it shouldn't be very far because chances are you're going to be bugging out.
Speaker 4: At night.
Speaker 2: So how far can you travel at night with your family in tow? And they all got their bug out bags. So it shouldn't be very far, but far enough away that no one's going to follow you. So mine's up over the hill and back down the other side. It's about, well, a kilometer, but it's through the woods. I know there's a water source there. And we have a tent just for that purpose. And, you know, maybe not even a tent. If you have a hunting blind... You know, they pop up. They're very light. They're made for hunters to take into woods. There are two tips in one. A hunting blind can be a great makeshift tent that you only use for a few days until you can get back into your house. So there you go. That's the concept. Check it out. It may or may not work for you, but the mini bug out. Take care and prep on. Obstacles. You want to be able to create obstacles for anybody. This is part of your security plan. In your security plan, there should be obstacles. An obstacle is anything that channels people or makes people change their route. These obstacles need to look as natural as possible, like a fallen tree, an abandoned vehicle, You know, if you had a truck that was abandoned and, you know, just burned out maybe, but you channel people into an area to get around the truck. You know, one side's maybe a cliff and the other side, it may be a hill. So you put the truck in there sideways so they go, you know, around the truck on the hillside. What this does is it allows you to be able to detect people because you've channeled them in there. That's where you want to put whatever alarm signal detection device or that's the place where you want to put a sentry, a post, you know, someone to watch. You always have to have... uh, in the military, we, we used to put the machine guns at covering the obstacles because as they go around the obstacle and you channel their movement, um, You know, not that I have a machine gun or anything.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: But you want to be able to control the flow of people and you definitely want to put them on foot. So whatever the obstacle is has to put them on foot to make them walk. And if you make the obstacle look natural, it won't stand out in any way To alarm someone, hey, there must be something up there because there's a drawbridge.
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: So that's my prepper tip of the day. Obstacles. Have obstacles in your security plan. Take care and prep on. Have a place if you're worried about fallout. Okay? Have a place already selected that is the lowest possible furthest underground back portion of your house if you have a basement if you don't have a basement locate that place that is in the exact center of your house okay you know this that everything is shielding when it comes to radiation everything even air So the further away you are from the outside wall, the less radiation you're going to get. So if you're ever worried about fallout, have this place already identified so that you don't have to think, run around like a chicken with your head cut off, which, by the way, we're doing some butchering today.
Speaker 8: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Keep your butchering supplies all in one tote. So when you go to butcher, you have your knives, your sharpeners, everything all in one place. You're going to process food, whether you're hunting it or growing it. So why not have a separate set of knives just for butchering? And I do that. And I have it in a bin along with the sharpener. So there you go. Two tips in one. Identify a place that you can go And this is for peace of mind.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: You know that that's the safest place, whether you get fallout or not.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: If something happens and you have this overwhelming fear of fallout, already have that place identified to take that level of stress off your mind. You just say, okay, I'm here. I've done all I can to protect myself and my family. from radiation and wait. Yeah, I know. How long? Maybe that's another tip. Take care and prep on. Okay, I've said this many, many times. If you think you may get fallout and you have no way of detecting it, take a white plate out of your house and Sit it far enough away that the house isn't blocking it or trees or things like that. Set it in the open and wait 24 hours.
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Go out and check the plate. If there's dark, gritty, ash-like stuff on that white plate, that's fallout. Don't confuse it with pollen. You know what pollen looks like. It always goes over your car. Don't freak out for pollen, but this is something that looks like it's been burnt, charred, gritty. It's going to be burnt up dirt, okay? So that's what it's going to look like. Now, 24 hours, if you do not get anything on that plate, you are never going to get fallout in your location. So that's my tip of the day for fallout. If you're worried and you don't have a radiac meter to detect radiation, use a white plate and stick it out in the open. Okay, so that should alleviate your fears for fallout. Take care and prep on. Have a pruning shears, pruning scissors. The big two feet long, you know, that cut branches. I mean, it's stainless steel. It cuts branches. So you can use it to process rabbits, anything. You can use it to process deer because it cuts the bones and you don't mess up your knife. So just keep one of these. They're probably on clearance right now. I think I got my last one for $ 13. And man, it is worth $ 13 to be able to do that and save the edge on your knife for something else. And if you have to, for something bigger, a.
Speaker 1: Hatchet.
Speaker 2: A hatchet. Yes. Because sometimes we feed our dogs... pig heads. And I hatchet them in half and then cut all the meat and everything off the ears. You know, we just processed, I think it was 18 rabbits. And this is right now we're doing, we finished. And how great that was to have those pruning shears to cut the necks and the legs, you know, the heads off. The heads we also give to the dogs as treats, and the legs and the tails. We save the liver, the kidneys, and the heart for the dogs. That's all great protein, and there you go. That is my tip for the day. Pruning scissors. Pruning, yeah, scissors. Take care, and prep on. Hello everyone out there in internet radio land. This is Dave Jones, the NBC guy, coming to you with another tip. 30 tips in 30 days. How do you think this is going? Do you think this is something valuable? Or am I just wasting my breath? Now, you all voted to get me to do this, so I'm pretty sure you're listening. It's just we never know. PBN never knows. And if you're not listening to PBN, I have to say, what the flip? I said that the other day in class. I said, WTF? And everybody started laughing. And I said, that means what the flip, right? Anyway, today's tip is magnesium chloride. Fire starters. This is a thing that was in the survival kits of downed pilots and things like that. Magnesium burns at thousands of degrees. It's very soft. You can cut it with your knife. And the idea is, on one side of the magnesium fire starter, you can shave off some magnesium. Now, just shavings. Okay, the other side is a ferrous rod, but it's not very good. But I mean, it will work. It will work. It will make sparks. The idea is magnesium. I've seen it actually set wet leaves on fire. Okay, so if you have nothing else but a magnesium fire starter, you know, no Bigfoot fur. No fire nuggets, as I call them. You can start a fire with a magnesium fire starter and twigs, even if they're wet. So that is my prepper tip of the day. If you're going to put fire starters in everyone's bug out bag, I highly recommend the magnesium fire starters. You can get them at Harbor Freight for like two bucks. Two dollars, and they're well worth every penny. Take care, and prep on. And I have another tip for you. Decrease your dependency on electricity. I know, it seems like a no-brainer, but really examine what is essential, what must function no matter what. and determine that everything else is secondary. And when you do that, you'll have a good idea of how much electricity you need to produce at any one time. So then it becomes easier to judge if a solar operation is going to be, or a generator, gas generator, propane generator, multi-fuel generator is going to fit your needs. And I'm not talking, you know, here at the Jones Homestead, we have three refrigerators, five freezers. Those are not essential. If everything goes to crap, we'll let that food thaw out, smoke it, can it, cook it. They are just convenient right now. But if the power goes out, you need things like lighting for security, detection devices, communication devices, rechargeable batteries. And when you get down to the basic level, as a matter of fact, my water heater isn't even electric. The water pump is, but the water heater is on-demand propane. So, whereas I need to have enough electricity for my water pump to operate, I also have a hand pump that I haven't put in yet, but I'm going to put it in. We also have several sources of water here on the mountain. So, when I get tired enough of hauling water, I will put the hand pump in my well. Laughter So there you go, PBN family. My tip is to find out what is really essential. What do you really need to power? And then everything else is secondary. Take care and prep on. You need to have at least one compass per bug out bag. And everybody in your group needs to know how to use a compass. I highly recommend the Prepper's Survival Navigation book. It was written by G-Man. He boils down and distills military land navigation in an easy-to-understand manner. manual that you could put right in your backpack and take it with you and practice anywhere you go. Terrain associate, but have a compass and know how to use it. At least one. When I was in the army, I carried more than one compass just in case my main compass got broke. This is before GPS. And if you believe in EMP and the SHTF and all that kind of stuff, a compass will work when GPS is down. A compass still works as long as the Earth has a magnetic field. So this, I can't recommend this enough. Get you that book. It's like 15 bucks. It'll probably be the best land nav book you ever purchase. Easy to understand. and get at least one compass per bug out bag per person. That's my prepper tip for the day, a compass. Take care and prep on. The three knives are, whenever you bug out, or you go on an extended field exercise, or you just go outside the wire, okay? Whenever you're going for a walk movement, You need three knives. The first knife is like a small machete. Maybe 24 to 27, 30 inches long. I highly recommend the cold steel. It's 27 inches. Very good steel. I've never had a bad cold steel experience, okay? And that is to blaze your trail, build your campsite, do whatever heavy lifting you got to do with a knife. And then the second knife is a medium knife or what most people call a camp knife. full tang, fixed blade. I would not go with serrations on this one. I would go with a thick blade and about four or five inches long, full tang. And that right there can double as a skinner and it can double as a camp knife. All the things you need to do around the campfire. And then you need a small knife. maybe three inches, four inches at the max, okay, stainless steel, maybe you hang it around your neck, this is the knife that you can skin with, but it's also very fine, very detailed work you would do, it's not something you would beat with a rock or an axe or something, you know, anything like that, so three knives. You need three knives. These are different tools and I do not count the knife that is on your multi-tool. Okay, so you should not count that. That is an emergency backup knife at best. That is a cord cutting knife. Okay, that is not a knife that functions in any of these other realms that we're talking about. So, That's just an extra backup knife, and you should have a multi-tool with you. No matter where you go, it answers a multitude of situations. This is your bonus tip, okay? There's never been a time when I went to the field that I did not carry some kind of a snack, some kind of a calorie-producing, you know, Um, sometimes it was the peanut butter that was in an MRE or the cheese. It's something I could squirt in my mouth on the go, get a little more energy to get it through to the next meal. So you should always be thinking about a snack that you can put in your front pocket. I always carried it in my front pocket. And in my left pocket, I carried a spoon in case I came across something that needed a spoon. You think ahead for things like that because you don't want to be without food. So have a snack on you all the time whenever you go outside the wire or even inside the wire. Have that snack with you so that you know you have X amount of calories if, you know, you just need a little boost to get back home. Snacks are important. So that is my tip, my extra tip for that fantastic email I got from a listener. I won't tell you her name, but she's somewhere in the south. And I appreciate the email to let me know you're out there listening. And if you would send me your address, I'll send you something special. So just send me your address. We're going to Prepper Camp. It's going to be awesome. I'm glad you're looking forward to all the crazy content that's going to come out of this. Maria's planning to have everybody over to the campsite on Thursday night. And hopefully we'll be able to do some recordings. She wants to feed everybody. You know, kick it off, start it off. And we'll see what goes. We plan to be there before the sun goes down on Thursday. And if we have good internet, you'll be hearing some stuff even before that. So PBN family, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for listening. Because if you didn't listen, it'd just be me talking in this microphone now. And I know you're out there and I know you appreciate it. So thank you so much. Take care and prep on.